The DAW - Musicians' Lounge

For art and other creative projects that aren't Let's Plays.
Welcome to The DAW, the place to talk about and share your own music! Post your BandCamp, SoundCloud, new and old releases, some sketch you just put together, whatever!

----

I'll get the ball rolling: I've been making music since about 2008 using my username ThornBrain as an alias, largely floating around the Punk/Post-Punk/Alternative Rock umbrellas and stretching out into weird corners when my muse feels like it. Most of it can be heard on my BandCamp, and I'll rarely post something to my SoundCloud, but I tend to keep new musical ideas under wraps until a full album is complete. I'd most recommend my two latest albums, 2018's Buried Secrets & Old Lies (specifically the remaster I released earlier this year; first mix was mud) and 2019's Worldbuilder.

Also in the spirit of sharing new stuff, here's a work-in-progress instrumental for some spy-ish Surf Rock thing
https://soundcloud.com/thornbrain/body- ... strumental

Site Admin
Gosh, I haven't done much musically in a long time. I have LMMS, so theoretically I still can, but I just haven't had the time. Still, two pieces, one acappella, one done with the aforementioned LMMS for an abandoned game project.

An old shanty, The Pirate's Serenade. Well, only technically a shanty, it was written much later. But then, so is a very good shanty by Baggyrinkle about the history (and sinking) of The Maria Assumpta.

The other was meant to be an intro to a lovecraftian game akin to Covert action... Section M

I especially like the shanty, you have a nice voice!

I recently downloaded Famitracker to learn myself how to chiptune. Haven't really cracked into it yet - I have zero musical experience so this is going to be a trip for me. Guess I'll google "music theory" or something.

How does one even begin to make music? Do you have to know a piano roll, or at least hear a sound and know "that's a C#"?

Nope. I sure didn't. I started by fiddling with effects plugins that came with my dad's recording software and playing power chords under it, and I'm honestly not doing much different now. Just hear music you like, find out how they did it, and try it out yourself.
A whole lot of great musicians can only play by ear and don't know music notation. It's useful depending on what you're doing but not required.