I am now cool [fan project]

For art and other creative projects that aren't Let's Plays.
I nothing better to do this summer given everything's shut down for the coronavirus outbreak. I decided to clean out some old junk from this house.

With temperatures rising, I found a use for some of the treasure I found.

ta daaa

At its core it's a bunch of case fans cable tied to a cardboard panel, with a little string on top for hanging it off a desk lamp.

Power comes from a 12v 1A transformer plugged into the mains (the black cable trailing off to the bottom right). I didn't have a spare socket for the plug so I pushed a paperclip into the inner ring of the plug and attached crocodile leads to the paperclip and the outer ring before wrapping it all in that insulating tape in the Earth colours.

As you can see, the black lead goes to the molex connector for the case fans. The white lead, however...

goes to the back of the on/off switch where the green lead takes it to the other molex pin.

The two blue casefans have molex connectors wired in such a way that you can just push multiple units together in parallel. They also have a three pin socket, which is great because the black fan doesn't have molex so...

I pushed some single core wire from the 3 pin socket of the blue fans into the socket for the black fan.

If you're wondering what the velcro battery lead is for, it's because I was originally powering this from some drone batteries I have lying around.

That's my fan, hope you enjoyed.

Judging by the slow response I can only assume everyone is blown away by my awesome fan.

Site Admin
I am... Certainly needing wind from it, yes. :O

Does it have a face on purpose or is that just me?

Hamborgini wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 pm
Looking like a Megaman enemy. Like a MeTool.

Hamborgini wrote:

This is lovely! 

Hamborgini wrote:
well at first I was like, "oh come one just because two fans suggest eyes doesn't mean tha-"
then I scrolled up to the original and saw the ziptie smile, "fair enough."