7th Dragon 2020 ~ Sympathy for Chisa Inomiko (an LP EOV Anniversary Project)

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Yeah Hacker completely shuts Sleepy Hollow down. Even then it kind of doesn't stack up a whole lot to some of the previous Imperials. As long as you deal with Confusion/Chaos (the accessory that provides that resist fortunately covers both!) There's pretty much not much to worry about. I think the fight just comes a bit too late for it to really be more than a mere nuisance. Probably a consequence of it being shuffled to later in the game than earlier.

Part 35: You'll See Out The End Of Tales
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

In this one, have you heard of 'sparking'?

The drop rate boost is 1.5x. Sadly it's not +50%, or it'd make farming some rare drops infinitely easier. Oh well.

Also fun fact, that version of Ino and Guchi are actually the weakest versions. With significantly lower HP than your first two bouts with them.

From what I recall the answer to "how do you fight Rabbit Type Zero without Pain React" at that point is "very carefully."

So the Iai Teachings are pretty much the only thing that justifies putting a point into Draw Spin in my opinion, and that's assuming you can't be bothered to mess with accessories every time you want to fight a dragon and just keep it glued to your Samurai 24/7 because hey, Bloom Seeds and flying dragons. It's not a -great- reason to put a point into the skill but at least it's not a complete waste like the Breath skills are.

Part 36: self regulatory party

The rest of the EX Skills are in this one. Spoiler: We still don't get to that meeting.

Nothing bad has ever come about as a result of people finding weird, creepy statues, I'm sure this "Dark Invasion" thing will be a completely fine and normal thing.

Part 37: A Little Heart-to-Heart

In this one, we actually get to that dang meeting.

EX skills pretty much went from mostly mediocre/absolutely not worth using (with some absolutely overpowered exceptions) in the DS game, to basically universally game shattering in 2020 and beyond. They're worth spending the SP on if you so wish and basically a lot will buckle down to them. I remember being floored when I discovered how Ragweed Ammo actually worked because yes it bypasses immunities, why wouldn't it?

To be fair if Ragweed Ammo didn't bypass immunity it'd probably be pretty eh considering the intensity of some of those statuses, at least so far as an EX skill in this game can be called such.

Also I had no idea the Saint Ring was a thing because it's not like this is at all friendly to switching party members.

Just summon a portal filled with those hands from Eversion, completely normal things.

I'd say something about the length of this chapter but considering how many trips through the underground the game makes you do to get to this point it's honestly probably fine.

Every time Scaber's tail gets (functionally) one-shot, an angel gets their wings.

Glad to see this LP is still going — always a pleasure to see 7th Dragon content in 2022. Cheers.

No one, I think, is in my tree
I mean, it must be high or low
That is, you can't, you know, tune in but it's alright
That is, I think it's not too bad

~The Beatles, 'Strawberry Fields Forever'

Koron Nagataka's Reminiscence, I ~ The Fool On The Hill

What would you think if I sang out of tune?
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Koron Nagataka's Reminiscence, II ~ Good Morning Good Morning

I told you about the walrus and me, man
You know we're as close as can be, man
Well here's another clue for you all
The walrus was Paul

Koron Nagataka's Reminiscence, III ~ Cry Baby Cry

Part 39: dry fish

In this one, we go to a really cold mall.

Murderbear is still one of the best enemy names. :allears:

Yep, this is about how I remember the Daiba Icepack going.

I suppose Unit 13 should be thankful that the dragons just took over and froze a mall instead of an IKEA store.

Part 40: you can't fxxk me (In My World)
|| SSLP Test Poster Mirror.

It's time to take down the last remaining Imperial.

I'm glad we finally got to fight something that Koron agreed was a dragon.

I'll be honest this chapter is kind of a blur to me, Imperial Dragon included. Not to imply the game is running out of steam, though.

The Imperial Dragon is kind of a footnote here in the grand scheme of things. A bulk of this chapter is really about Natsume's motivations, and her basically siccing the dragon on you at the end, which kinda made a bunch of this chapter feel like background set dressing to that aspect.

Even when the focus shifted from trying to take back the dragon infested hellscape of a world to basically dealing with Natsume, Scaber had a presence throughout the game, and Sleepy Hollow was very involved in its chapter. Meanwhile Zero-Blue is basically waiting at the end for you to kill it.

Part 41: No Cake For You

SIDEQUESTS SIDEQUESTS (DANANANANA)

Muteki mode means Invincible mode, which is self evident.

gg.bat is funnily enough, just coded as 100% evasion and ailment resistance. (Debuffs have an accuracy multiplier of 100%, so gg.bat works on them as well.) Normally attacks have a minimum 1% chance of hitting, but gg.bat bypasses that. Sadly it doesn't dispel ailments on cast, so DOT ailments can still hurt you.

Of course the hacker's EX skill would involve pulling out a Sega Saturn controller. Why would I have expected otherwise.

Part 42: Beloved World, Beloved People

Don't you just hate split updates? Anyway, let's finish those sidequests.

I don't really comment on romantic stuff in general but that was pretty adorable ngl.

The Kingsguard is... well it's fine but why did they go with 55%.

Part 43: Material Delights

It's time to begin the final dungeon.

Fun fact, the music for the final dungeon is actually a remix of the first game's final dungeon.

Well I guess that's one way to describe Kingdom Hearts.

Tokyo Tower may be pretty basic as far as layouts go but there's something to be said for the simplicity of it being turned into Natsume's Shrine To Her Own Ego.

Part 44: A Raging Empress's Banquet

Hey, boss, I ain't getting paid enough for this.

Criminal Dragons can be absolutely dangerous to deal with depending on the party.
Criminal Dragon wrote:-Headbutt: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 2x damage.
-Typhoon Lariat: Non-elemental Melee attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1.25x damage. Hits 5 times. Cannot miss.
-Jump Kick: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.75x damage.
-Muscle Charge: Telegraph skill.
-Muscle Eye: Targets one party member. 99% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 5 turns.
With 206 ATK, they hit very hard. Typhoon Lariat always hits 5 times, however that Criminal Dragon in the update really wanted Satsuki dead, as 4 of its hits were directed towards her. However she died from 2 hits, so the other 2 hits disappeared into the nether. I didn't even know that's how multi-target skills worked in the later 7th Dragon games until now.

Dragoness Mizuchi can be one tough customer as well.
Dragoness Mizuchi wrote:-Icicle Eden: Ice-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 2.5x damage. Cannot miss. 25% chance to inflict Freeze for 4 turns. The Freeze ticks for 19 damage, and multiplies SPD by 0.9x.
-Fireball: Fire-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.85x damage. Cannot miss. 25% chance to inflict Burn for 3 turns. The Burn ticks for 14 damage, multiplies ATK and MAT damage dealt by 0.9x, and multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 1.05x.
-Thunderball: Lightning-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.15x damage. Cannot miss. 55% chance to inflict Paralysis for 3 turns. Paralyzed targets have a 55% chance to not act.
-Thunder Shield: Buffs the user. Places a shield on the target that triggers counterattacks against contact attacks for 3 turns.
-The Thunder Shield was hit by !: Counterattack for Thunder Shield. Lightning-elemental Melee attack to one party member. MAT-based. 0.5x damage. Cannot miss. 15% chance to inflict Paralysis for 2 turns. Paralyzed targets have a 25% chance to not act.
-Bloodnail: Non-elemental Claw attacks to random party members. ATK-based. 0.8x damage. Hits 3 times. 1.5x accuracy. Heals the user for 200% of the damage dealt.
-Gather Power: Telegraph skill.
-Sealing Gaze: Targets one party member. 99% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 5 turns.
-Last : Buffs the user. Multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 0.3x for 4 turns. Restores 1% of the user's LIFE (200 LIFE) at the end of the turn for 15 turns.
With 195 ATK and 200 MAT, she can hit pretty hard as well. She's essentially a super Psychic. Kinu skipped over a mechanic because she DPS'd too hard, but Last Stand (that's what it's supposed to be, the fan translation accidentally cut off the 2nd word in the game) gets used at around 50% HP, which massively slows the fight down if you let her get it off. And remember that buffs cannot be dispelled in the later 7th Dragon games, so you're force to sit it out. Even using defense debuffs will not dispel Last Stand like with EO and 7th Dragon DS.

At low health, around 30%, she enters her apeshit phase and starts throwing out Icicle Edens. Fortunately it's telegraphed heavily with Gather Powers beforehand, so it's a great time to set up with a Hacker's Ice Breaker, or just guard to survive it.

Oh hey I finally got an update title reference. Also uh that sequence of events sure happened, huh.

Criminal Dragons are indeed absolute fuckers and about the only bright spot is that their version of Muscle Eye can't screw over everyone.

Mizuchi's also pretty rude with all of that nonsense and I definitely recall hubrising on Icicle Eden (don't hubris on Icicle Eden.)

Part 45: Project NEW GAME

This is a short one with only a small amount of gameplay footage. A sort of "parlor scene", if you will.

...I'm very sorry.

Well it wouldn't be a proper modern isekai if things weren't extremely cursed in some fashion.

Youka continues to be a mood.

Part 46: death from above 4098

We've still got some dungeon to go, and one more boss to fight.

Cannon Dragons and Dracoprisms are those things that could be nasty if you somehow didn't have a party that was too powerful for them to matter. Still, the final area is pretty sweet as far as final dungeons go.

I will note that in the actual game, there was a rather understandable criticism of the game's plot here from fansites, and I can't say I really disagree with it. Namely that Niara basically comes out of nowhere. In the actual game, the actual confrontation is building up to dealing with Mizuchi. The only in-game hint that Niara existed was that a barrier formed around the tower, which was not Mizuchi's doing. The game makes absolutely no mention of True Dragons or anything beforehand, it's just the Imperials and her. Then after beating the crap out of Mizuchi... Niara chimes in. And that's when you find out about True Dragons. The only way you'd know this was coming was if you played any of the other 7th Dragon games, and knew about the dragon hierarchy from those games (Especially compared to the first game where he made a fucking bombastic entrance and had way more buildup to his battle other than "Sup? I exist.") and realizing that you hadn't confronted the True Dragon yet. Something a newcomer to the series wouldn't know about.

Part 47: One Who Spins Samsara

This concludes the main story of Sympathy for Chisa Inomiko Act 1: Beast of Annihilation. Thank you for reading.

Niara is really dangerous and seeing him get clowned on that hard is a little catharic. Suffice to say it probably would've been nice to know that Ragweed Ammo actually bypassed resistances the first time instead of eating all those resets because of his extremely rude collection of abilities. Don't be me, people, don't fight Niara the hard way.

Looking forward to 2020-II and its incredibly drunk balancing decisions.

Hoo boy, Niara is a real piece of work to fight. His final boss is a neat remix of the first game's final boss theme, though it truncates quite a few sections. (The VFD remix goes for different instrumentation again, but restores the missing sections.)
-True Dragon Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.25x damage. Cannot miss.
-True Dragon Meteor 2020: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 3.75x damage. Cannot miss.
-Black Blaze: Fire-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.75x damage. Cannot miss. 50% chance to inflict Burn for 5 turns. The Burn ticks for 21 damage, multiplies ATK and MAT damage dealt by 0.9x, and multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 1.05x.
-True Dragon Fang: Non-elemental Fang attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. Hits 3 times. Cannot miss. 65% chance to inflict Bleed for 5 turns. The Bleed ticks for 27/32/33/33/33 damage.
-Killer React: React skill. Lasts for 15 turns. Grants the user an extra turn if they kill a party member.
-Nihil Gaze: Targets one party member. 75% chance to inflict Downer for 5 turns. 50% chance to inflict Sleep for 5 turns. 99% chance to inflict Freeze for 5 turns. The Freeze ticks for 21 damage, and multiplies SPD by 0.8x. 99% chance to inflict Poison for 5 turns. The Poison ticks for 28 damage.
-Repair: Heals the user for 1022 LIFE.
-Gather Power: Telegraph skill. Display message: "Niara is gathering power from space!"
-Gather Power: Telegraph skill. Display message: "Niara's power is fully charged!"
His skillset is pretty nasty, with True Dragon Meteor basically being a party wipe if you don't have a good defense for it. That being said, Killer React isn't as deadly as it looks. He always uses that extra turn to cast Repair, which is the only time he uses it. Which is an annoying setback but not as snowbally as him just killing another party member to chain a killstreak thankfully.