7th Dragon 2020 ~ Sympathy for Chisa Inomiko (an LP EOV Anniversary Project)

Put your Let's Plays in here.
i admit, i got got.

Those dagger nerfs hurt. Not sure why that part of Trickster was slammed so hard. The lifesteal caps are definitely a bit of a damper as well.

Surprise Hunt got its bug fixed. It works on random encounters getting surprise attacks now.

Pain Eater is similar to Homicide Hold, only it dispels the ailments upon use, so the same things that Homicide Hold has an issue with (They forgot to flag Stop as a legal ailment), Pain Eater also suffers from. Though amusingly because they forgot to flag Stop as a legal ailment, it won't get dispelled upon using this.

Sacrifice went from ultra shit to just plain shit. It's really not worth using. The damage is terrible, and your Trickster doesn't even get the payouts if you use it for some reason. It's a meme skill, and that's all it is. At least it's not permadeath anymore? So at least it won't cause the closest thing to effectively bricking a save file at the very least. Oh and also it drains all your mana so if you revive the Trickster, you need to fill that up as well.

Part 86: For The Day That Must Come
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

This begins Chapter 6. In this one, we hold a memorial.

Part 87: Empire of Fools

In this one, we go spelunking.

Koron you're being pedantic about something that came from a nonsense poem.

I kind of love this one, mostly because one of its animations that it didn't show off just plain amuses me.

So, if I'm getting this right, Taichi's the first Banisher ever? That's cool. Sadly, no Earthquake to instantly make Dragons go boom.

Incidentally the Neko and the MP sidequest had a plothole in it in the game. The original conversation went as follows (Not an error with the fan translation, this happened in the original dialogue as well):
Neko: Aaaaaaaagh! What're you on about now?! All blowing smoke with all these fancy words cuz you're trying to trick me!
MP Ariake: You were the one to demand explanation. I concede I am not proud of the means. But your living situation leaves me no choice but to express myself strenuously.
Neko: There's nothing weird about that! You were expecting me to stay with you? We don't have any connection at all! That's what'd be weird!
MP Ariake: I'm simply trying to do my duty to you! I sit on the front bench of the Diet!
Neko: Tch... more like the basic bench.
MP Ariake: As a statesman, and I dare say a sensible man, I feel I have an understanding of what is proper.
Neko: Jeez! Quit caring what all those people think! Why don't you care about what I think?! Just like when mom died! If you got something to say, say it!!
MP Ariake: I know it was... hard, when your mother passed. But please understand, as she did, that I had duties I was obligated to fulfill- Yes... She was always forgiving you, over and over, up to her last moment, her dying breath.
Neko: Don't expect me to go so easy on you! The people who are left are the ones who have to shoulder everything, all of it! You all want to die on your own terms, and leave us to deal with your mess! I still hate it! The people left behind matter too!
The original conversation implies Neko had some problems with her mom too. Except that shouldn't really be possible given she was kidnapped when she was a baby and that she shouldn't have known anything about how her mom died. Whoopos! As far as I could tell, that's the only glaring continuity error within the two games. At least it was only relegated to a sidequest instead of whatever the fuck happened in VFD.

Part 88: No Enemy to Me

In this one, we unlock The Skill. Do not tell me about the 'broken image'. I already know. It is actually Sumie saying Geese Howard lines and it was picked up by the LP tools as an image.

oh hey frostburn is here, a completely fair and not at all overtuned skill that was put together by entirely sober people.

Part 89: Valley of the Kings

In this one, Shichiro practices far less tact than he really should.

Love this stupid thing, who needs a dragon with silly gimmicks when it can just get mad and tableflip the ground right from under you.

Too bad it has to exist in the same world as Frostburn.

Part 91: Seagull Flies

This begins Chapter 7. In this one, it doesn't have to be beef.

I for one have never understood why people like beef stroganoff.

Part 92: Seagull Flies

In this one, welcome to Moonside.

Part 93: Freefall

Do you think NERD ROCK BAR is like... a weird alternate universe equivalent of the Hard Rock Cafe? I know they've got at least one or two of those in Japan.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the joke.

As for the dungeon itself... eh. Apart from NERD ROCK BAR it's like you took Ikebukuro Railcage and Yotsuya Evernight, stapled them together, and wound up with something that was less interesting than either. I might be a bit biased against it due to it also having what is, at least in my own opinion, the lamest boss in the entire series.

Part 94: Curse

In this one, we head to Fou-Lu's Tomb and fight Won-qu... wait, hold on. Is that right...?

You'll get lost in that bog, I told the kid.

And I won't be able to guide you back.

Part 95: At the End of Disaster

It's time to kill the final Imperial Dragon. Big number 14!

Part 96: Pavane for a Dead Princess

In this one, we forge the Dragonslayer.

Well that took a turn.

Part 97: a grief in the girl

The final chapter is upon us, and with it, the final LET'S WORKING. The end of an era...

Part 98: a defect in the man

It's finally time to start knocking down that big fat 46.

Yeah someone at Imageepoch was having a laugh that day I guess.

Incidentally the Kitty Parka+ comes with a hidden 20% evasion bonus. Not a mistake in the fan translation, the original text neglects to mention this too for whatever reason.

I think those Megalips are, at least visually, based on the MP EVAs from End of Evangelion. Same colors, easily killed but very strong, though they lack regeneration powers.

I guess someone at the office having a laugh makes more sense than designing a curse-abusing HP sponge monster in a game where enemies can't inflict curse but it's still drunk as heck. Then again this is the same game with extremely normal skill Frostburn so eh.

enemies can inflict curse in this game, megalip dragons can't

Huh, go figure.

Part 99: A Promise Left Behind (Monochrome)

In this one, our entire existences become SEX!!!!

Part 100: Truth and Dreams

A will to find a second life after an emotional death. A will to battle a seemingly inescapable fate. A will to fight for a just cause. A will to protect one's home through fear. A will to become your own person, no matter how much you lose.

And...

The Crest is just a setpiece battle to set the stage for the next part of the game. It's not a real fight. But here's also the stats of the version that kicked your ass in the beginning of the game.
??? (LV. 99/94)
-Shockwave: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.5x damage.
-Heavy Impact: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.5x damage.

Crest (LV. 70/65)
-Shockwave: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.2x damage.
-Heavy Impact: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1x damage.
Its attacks are also weaker.

Izumi (LV. 65/60)
-Air Slash: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1.1x damage.
-Straight Cut: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.2x damage.
-Pour It On: Multiplies the damage of the next ATK-based attack from all enemies by 1.7x.
-Justice of Solomon: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1.7x damage. 1.3x accuracy.
This version of Izumi is a real fucker. A 1v1 battle where she has the action economy advantage is just rude! You basically need a highly leveled Renki First Aid as well as Pain React in order to keep up with her attacks.

This is from a while back, but Insomnia can be a bit of a pain if you're unprepared for it.
Insomnia (LV. 60/55)
-Death Sentence: Targets all party members. 100% chance to inflict Death.
-Ebon Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.3x damage. 40% chance to inflict Downer for 3 turns.
-its fangs to devour lifeforce: Heals the user for 1000/998 LIFE.
-its time to take a deep breath: Buffs the user. Multiplies ATK damage dealt by 1.25x for 2 turns.
-Power Slash: Non-elemental Claw attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.5x damage.
-Snap: Non-elemental Fang attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.4x damage. Heals the user for 200% of the damage dealt. Healing is capped at 999 LIFE.
-Exhaust Breath: Fire-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.1x damage. 40% chance to inflict Burn for 6 turns. The Burn ticks for 31 damage, multiplies ATK and MAT damage dealt by 0.9x, and multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 1.05x.
-Death Omen: Telegraph skill.
-its crystal to gather dark energies: Buffs the user. Multiplies MAT damage dealt by 1.3x for the entire battle.
That Death Sentence WILL kill you. And unlike the VFD version of the fight, there aren't as many ways to get around this. You bring death protection or the few workarounds that exist (the endures) or lose the fight, it's that simple.

Of course if you do have protection, Death Sentence is nothing more than a free turn. Insomnia wises up to this and will stop using it as often later on in the fight so it can actually attack you.

Also do not try to pull a VFD and burst this thing down in a few turns in order to avoid Death Sentence. The 2020-II party doesn't have anywhere enough firepower for that. You're not the massively power crept Super Saiyans from VFD.

The Izumi duel is a royal pain, can confirm.

Why they decided they needed to bring Insomnia back for VFD, I'll never know, but I guess it tracks with VFD generally being a game where decisions were certainly made in a not-really-all-that-great sort of way.

Part 101: A Wing from the Sky

In this one, it's time to scale Fomalhaut's domain.

Part 102: Endings and Beginnings

It is the early morning of September 27th, 2021. On an arena high above the planet Earth, a decisive battle for the fate of the planet Earth—not just for this war, but for the future as well—rings out.

Dragon Fight! Ready... Go!!!

ok so i forgot some enemies that inflicted curse because frostburn is a completely normal skill

also wow orochi has bad opinions on tales of vesperia

Part 103: A Little After the Dream

After this, I'll be taking a week or two's break to allow the VFD LP (on SA) the courtesy of finishing up its postgame, just to have that context there. With that said:

Let's talk to everyone... one last time.
RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:57 pm
also wow orochi has bad opinions on tales of vesperia
orochi's favorite tales of game is berseria and it's pretty much entirely because she thinks velvet's hot. however, orochi, mio, and sumie all have silly hot takes about tales games (orochi is also a huge graces stan, mio is a hardline 2D taleser, and sumie really insists that her favorite is the original innocence to the point where nobody is sure if it's a bit or not.) they're all wrong because the best tales game is clearly xillia but that's beside the point

Wait, they remade Innocence? *checks* oh it was for the vita and it didn't get a western release like hearts did, ah well.

Also what a ride it's been for our bunch of misfits.

Part 104: With Murakumo Unit 13

One final challenge remains for Orochi Hosokawa and Unit 13—not a challenge for the present, but a challenge for the future. It's time to head out for one last dungeon dive!

Dragon-Elimination Strike Team, Murakumo Unit 13... Sally forth!

The post-game in this one is uh. Oddly balanced. In 2020 the randoms were dragons but they were significantly nerfed into merely strong encounters. Here you're straight up facing dragons at their full might and the rewards aren't worth it so you might as well skip the encounters. The skills and AI aren't any different from their maingame versions so they got massive stat boosts. I have to wonder if Imageepoch ran outta time to balance the post-game properly.

The bosses are also kind of weird. 2020 actually gave them new AI and skills to make the fights tougher. Here uh, they don't do that. The skills and AI are exactly the same, so Oceanus is smacking you for incredibly piddly 23 or 43 poison damage for one. They're just massively stat boosted.

Oh right here's Fomalhaut. In order it's the diet building encounter, phase 2 of the final boss, phase 1 of the final boss, and the fishing blow gameplay segment. Fomalhaut there actually has his current HP set to 40%, 6931.
Fomalhaut (LV. 70/65)
-Dark Flash: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.7x damage.
-Nightmare of Darkbloom: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.3x damage. 70% chance to inflict Chaos for 3 turns. 70% chance to inflict Curse for 3 turns. Cursed targets get 30% of the damage they deal reflected back at them. 30% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.
-Wings of Rending: Non-elemental Claw attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1.2x damage. Hits 2 times. 50% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.
-Claw of Curses: Non-elemental Claw attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. 70% chance to inflict Chaos for 3 turns. 90% chance to inflict Curse for 3 turns. Cursed targets get 30% of the damage they deal reflected back at them.
-Daunting Gaze: Targets one party member. 100% chance to inflict Chaos for 5 turns.
-Omen of Ruin: Telegraph skill.
-Roar of the Abyss: Dispels all ailments on the user.
This is also his skillset for the diet building encounter, which may have been intended to play out differently. His AI file there smacks you around for a few turns before charging up for and unleashing a party wide killing attack, but the fight ends after 1 turn.
Divine Fomalhaut (LV. 75/70)
-Crystal Plague: Targets the all party members. 60% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns. 60% chance to inflict Freeze for 3 turns. The Freeze ticks for 21 damage, and multiplies SPD by 0.8x. 99% chance to inflict Confusion for 3 turns.
-End Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.5x damage.
-Pain Eater: Heals the user for 426/425 LIFE and dispels all ailments on them.
-its time to take a deep breath: Telegraph skill.
-Curse React: Buffs the user. For 6 turns, the user will be granted an extra turn if they inflict Curse.
-Cursed Gleam: Targets one party member. 99% chance to inflict Curse for 5 turns. Cursed targets get 40% of the damage they deal reflected back at them.
-Dark Gale: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party members. ATK-based. 1.5x damage. Cannot miss. 99% chance to inflict Confusion for 3 turns.
-Blackspear Fomalhaut: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 2x damage.
-Omen of Ruin: Telegraph skill.
-Whirlwind: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.6x damage. 7% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.
Phase 2. I have no idea why Whirlwind is so weak. It's not a multihit so the 7% infliction rate doesn't make sense. Maybe they typoed and intended for it to be 70%? I dunno.