Into the Nephalem Rifts: Let's Play Modded Diablo II!

Put your Let's Plays in here.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
NORMAL
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

MISCELLANY
Mechanics Talk 1-Attributes
Mechanics Talk 2-Attack Rating, Defense, and Running
Mechanics Talk 3-Blocking and Getting Hit
Mechanics Talk 4-How gaining Life/Mana and gaining Resistances work
Mechanics Talk 5: Item Affixes and Where to Find Them
Mechanics Talk 6-I Can't Hold all this Bling.
Mechanics Talk 7-Magicfind and /players 8

Q) Oh I've heard of this game before.
Diablo II is timeless. It and its expansion, Lord of Destruction, has been a well crafted game to enjoy even today. And no, I'm not talking about Resurrected, though, if you get past how it looks it's perfectly fine on its own.

Released in 2000 and its expansion coming out a year later, Diablo II is the sequel to the original Rogue-inspired action game Diablo. It became a very endearing game with its cutting-edge graphics, voiced dialogue, very deep gameplay mechanics, extremely good music, and the fact that you can do this all online with your buddies. You got to look forward to fighting hordes of demons and finding very powerful treasure as you did so, and with seven classes to play, many different skills to learn and use, three difficulties unlocked as you finish the game, and a 99 level cap, you could be playing this for a while, exponentially so if you go online and go after the most difficult challenges available.

That's not to say Diablo II is without fault though: there are MANY gotchas in trying to choose how to build your character, melee sucks ass even in Resurrected, Attack Rating and Defense are funny mechanics everyone ignores, there's several speedbumps for all characters that will blindside and stonewall unprepared players, and grinding for things you need can take a while. (This is one of the oldest games to teach you that grinding is okay and socially accepted.)

Playing this game right is a fun time of slaughtering through hordes of monsters and finding lovely treasures to further slaughter hordes of monsters. Playing it wrong is an inescapable fate of leaving in disgust because it took the game a while to add in resetting your stat and skill allocations.

So the main goal of this Let's Play is to take you through the process of playing this game, then playing this game again, then somehow playing this game yet again. But just playing Diablo II is something plenty of people have done in the past 20 years. No, instead, I wanna take you to different Sanctuaries, that fixes some of these faults and has me beat the game in very different ways.

Q) Diablo II has mods?
Yes. Many of them in fact. Some of them are very good, as well. But for the sake of this Let's Play, we'll be focusing on mods that enhance the core Diablo II experience but not completely replace it. The reason why is to hit the "I just wanna play Diablo II but better" sweetspot, which doesn't actually exist, but if I try four times to hit that target maybe I'll hit it for you.

In addition, where applicable, I'll be using some other mods that are meant to be ran in tandem with either vanilla Diablo II or the overhaul mod of your choice. Such mods will also be how I get widescreen images in a game that is normally a 4:3 affair.

Q) So which class are you playing?
ALL OF THEM.

There are many builds in Diablo II, and the mods add even more. While I can't show every single one of them, I can spread out the brand new builds enabled by mods across them all, and then showcase the many ways you can play this game depending on what mods you use. Needless to say each class will have their time in the limelight. As for when and where, I just looked up build guides and then arbitrarily assigned each class to a different mod to showcase it. All classes will beat Hell Baal. That means multiple flavors of Hell.

As for any extra content our selection of mods may add, those'll be covered on the side. Most of our mods will have brand new areas at the end, but with some exceptions the mods stay out of the way of basegame, allowing us to make a perfectly normal Let's Play of Diablo II and then remember afterwards oh right, there's more to show off.

Q) So you recorded days of you playing this game then and we get to watch that?
Nope. Well, yes, but, let's be real: Diablo II is not a game to fill with mindless banter for many, many runs. Even with editing, the game doesn't do much that can't be conveyed with words and pictures. That's what happens when most of your story and dialogue is delivered in in-town lore. As such, to make the very concept of multi-Diablo drifting feasible, we're doing a screenshot LP.

The biggest benefit to doing it this way is that I can easily weave the many characters into the same chunk of game they're all on. This should keep things at a brisk, albeit slightly chaotic, pace. Well, you'll see what I mean soon enough.

Q) Cool, so you'll be going over immunities and all the different runewords and all the mod additions an-
This isn't that informative of a Let's Play. Mechanics that are definitely vital to gameplay will be covered, (like Attack Rating!) but the very nuanced stuff won't be covered. (like how so many things get chances to do extra elemental damage on harder difficulties) I have played quite a fair bit of Diablo II, but not so much that I know everything about every single piece of gear and skill ever. This gets even fuzzier when I throw mods in, so if you're looking for in-depth analyses of builds and what works and what's available, you're going to find that outside the thread. Luckily databases of what gear and options are available exist for each one of our mods, so you won't be left hanging.

Q) I want to play [[insert favorite thread mod here]]! Where can I get it?
Every mod has, its own webzone to get it and its own install guide to install it. (Unless your name is Eastern Sun.) Follow the guide of your choosing, or just turn your mind off and let the launcher do its thing. Most launchers are very good at giving you something good enough for a modern Diablo II experience. As for adding shinier versions of PlugY and the graphics wrapper of your choice, most of these mods either include their own mods for stash and graphics, or are just not compatible with them. If I don't explain what works, read guides on the internet to see if you even can. Thread Info
-In-game dialogue will always be in italics.
-Image When we swap to a character, we'll use their icon.
-Image If we have something quick to say about a mod though, its banner will be used.
-Basegame monsters are covered via a pic, their name, features about them, and an arbitrary Challenge Rating, or CR. Modded monsters are, very plentiful and I don't have easy access to their numbers, so they'll be skipped.
-While I know a lot about Diablo 2 and have gotten a good idea of its mechanics, I have little info about the mods and especially about the fun newgame+ difficulty levels. As such, disclaimer, this is a semi-blind LP. I'll know enough to get through, but I don't have 4 Diablo II's worth of knowledge in my brain.
-It is my hope and prayer that updates will roll out every 3-4 days. I am basing this on no concrete evidence but I do have a backlog so it should work out.

:siren:THREAD RULES:siren:
-No Blizzard drama here. I am well aware of how bad of a company Blizzard has always been but I still enjoy Diablo II despite that because I'm good at seperating the art from the artist. There's threads where you can dump your grievances with Blizzard in with all the others, but not here. This is a safe spot. A, Sanctuary, if you will. ;)
-I ask that you spoiler tag anything that spoils anything not yet covered in the thread. This a 20+ year old game that's been released twice. I don't even hold the game's story in any particularly high regard. Despite this, I'm pretty confident some people have never taken a look at Diablo, and it's not that they're missing out, it's that I want to give them a chance to have a genuine reaction to unpacking this lore. This includes Diablo I and III bits. Don't worry, once we finish the game for the first time, this rule will be lifted and we can talk about everything Diablo. WE DONE. TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING DIABLO.
-Feel free to discuss other DII mods in this thread. However, don't expect me to cover them. I probably won't. I mean I'm already covering 4+ and doing 7 runs that's probably too much already.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:41 am, edited 31 times in total.

MAJOR MODS USED:

Resurgence: https://old.reddit.com/r/Diablo2Resurgence/
Once known as Slashdiablo, this mod hails from reddit and has since gone from multiplayer only mod to fleshed-out chocolate D2 mod. It is also very old. (2013) Of note is that, in the beginning, extra content is very light, so at least for now it's pretty indistinguishable from vanilla D2. Instead, the Hell run is meant to be a better experience and also a unique experience. It'll have plenty of the things you can expect out of these mods, like extra crafting options and loot filters. Unfortunately this does make it one of the most boring until later but hey, sometimes going with what's largely familiar is a good thing. Also I appreciate the maphacks given and will be using them.
Features:
  • Supported map reveal.
  • Tweaks to skill balance.
  • New and rebalanced sets/uniques/runewords. We even got new item types.
  • A substantial boost to item drop rates.
  • A robust crafting system with new cube recipes and new/overhauled ingredients to craft what you need.
  • A heavily rebalanced Hell difficulty.
  • Subclasses unlocked at endgame for extra specialization.
Resources: Image
Project Diablo 2: https://projectdiablo2.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

A mod designed to leave Diablo II's gameplay mostly intact but overhaul item and skill balance to open up many more options and give gear more ways to provide power. (For example: Enhanced Damage on EVERYTHING to multiply your weapon damage.) It also has the funny map gimmick from Path of Exile for characters that get all the way through the game and want ever more things to do, and there's a fair bit to do with Maps. Aside from that it's the same D2 flavor, and D2 but with more/enhanced options that keeps the vanilla feel is what makes this a very popular mod.

Features:
  • Plenty of skill tweaks and even new skills.
  • Overhaul on item modifiers.
  • Overhaul on many set and unique items.
  • Path of Exile-esque endgame mapping.
  • Path of Exile-esque Orbs of Corruption.
  • Group-oriented Dungeons for endgame+ challenges.
  • Regular multiplayer seasons.
Eastern Sun:It's on this very forum.

No, seriously. This is a mod maintained by goons, and if I posted this thread without doing this mod I feel like I'd be doing a massive faux pas.

Anyway if you didn't read that thread, Eastern Sun adds a lot of things, from new toys to new sets to new runes to new monsters to new areas to a new 15 minute experience at the start of the game, and HUNDREDS OF NEW CUBE RECIPES. It sits close to MXL in sheer overhaul insanity, but the from-scratch item crafting you can do in that mod? Taken to 11 in ES. Why grind for your build gear when you can just make massively enchanted items using many, many dstones? Better yet, why not craft mods ON your uniques, or layer mods via the use of jewels that have rarity now, that you can also craft mods onto? Sky's the limit when it come to ES crafting. Also, all the plugins and hacks and cheats included with ES? Honestly, they're mandatory. You'll see what I mean.

Features:
  • Map reveal available.
  • Bigger numbers on everything.
  • Level cap raised from 99 to 105.
  • New monsters.
  • Reworked and new skills for everyone.
  • New rune system and runewords.
  • New challenge areas, available at each difficulty.
  • In-depth crafting system. (dstones)
  • Yes amount of new sets and uniques.
  • Many, many new cube recipes.
  • Relevant Gold is picked up automatically. (can be configured)
  • A suite of plugins are available. (and mandatory)
  • Not your daddy's Diablo II.
Median XL:https://www.median-xl.com/

This is too much: the mod. Ever want MORE Diablo II? This is it. More cool artifacts, more cool monsters, more cool skills, more cool things to do, more levels to attain, more post-Hell content, more challenges, more numbers, more loot, more speed, more graphics, more death. Everything you wanted and MORE. MORE MORE MORE

There's a lot to keep track of but honestly it's pretty ignorable early on. The true insanity only begins when you start theorycrafting and evaluating gear. For the thread, thankfully, a lot of the extra content can be safely brushed aside since most of its real additions to challenges are within Hell difficulty. The only new maps before that are leveling quests, of which there are only two. Despite the fact that this mod will change so much about character progression that we won't be able to compare it to the other mods or even vanilla Diablo II, it can be played alongside them just fine.

Features:
  • Hoo boy where to start?
  • 100% reworked skill trees. There's 8 (?) per class now.
  • Level cap raised from 99 to 150. Experience gain boosted to compensate.
  • Many new monsters.
  • Many new items, all of which are auto-identified.
  • Town portal is a skill. Scrolls are dead.
  • New crafting options.
  • A suite of endgame content.
  • Map reveal available.
  • Gold is picked up automatically.
MINOR MODS USED:

PlugY: http://plugy.free.fr/en/index.html
If you play singleplayer, chances are you use this mod, or should be using this mod. PlugY isn't just the fabled "infinite stash" mod you might've heard in passing. (which is very buggy! Cap your stash pages before using!) PlugY also does a couple things to bring changes you'd only find in multiplayer into singleplayer, allowing you to do stuff like Uber Tristram, repeatable secret levels, and Ladder Runewords. Unless the mod I'm using explicitly doesn't play nice with it, (or has its own PlugY as part of the mod) I'm using it. Shared stash with more than enough space for any and all characters I use is a pretty vital thing. It also grants infinite respeccing of stats and skills where applicable, which I dunno about you, but I live in 2022 and would like to experiment without consequences please thank you.

D2DX: https://github.com/bolrog/d2dx
A fancy pants custom glide dll that allows Diablo II to run with them fancy pants Glide graphics and still be a nice flexible modern program for modern Windows. It's very simple to use and very effective. We can even get widescreen resolutions using this, so unless my major mod has ideas for the outdated graphics DII runs on, I'll be using this. I reall like widescreen. Widescreen is my friend.

OTHER RESOURCES:

The Arreat Summit: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/
Old reliable. Official DII strategy guide. A lot of knowledge on items, monsters, and even just bits and pieces from the manual are kept here. It's the future, the site offers vague hints for character builds, and deeper dissection of the game's mechanics are posted elsewhere, (Heck, one of those sites is linked in Arreat Summit.) but it still has everything you'd need to know about vanilla DII and I still use it to quickly look up things like runewords and some of the simpler mechanics.

The Amazon Basin: https://www.theamazonbasin.com/forums/
A long established site of, "Let's play Diablo II, together." It also doubles as my goto for deep looks into game mechanics. (see the wiki) It's a big deal, what with being this sort of site since the dawn of Diablo II, and a lot of the finertries of DII info, and even just the DII community, I go here to find. They also cover several other games as well.

This space reserved in case of rapid expansion.

New update. Mortals in Sanctuary love undead. You'll find demons love undead too. Why don't we go to the graveyard, then, and have the undead shared with you?

Well I couldn't sleep well today so new update time. Time to rescue a celebrity.

Mechanics Talk 1-Attributes
(All Mechanics Talk assume vanilla Diablo II unless otherwise noted.)

A character in Diablo II has four stats: Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, and Energy. Several other stats on the character screen are derived off them, but each level, you get 5 stat points to go put in those four. Each of them do their own things when you get another point in that stat. So you may be wondering what's the most efficient spread of stats?

The answer is, unless your equipment demands it, Vitality.

Let me explain. Strength only exists to grant extra physical attack damage, at a rate of +1% damage per 1 point of Strength put in. Elemental damage does not benefit, it's only whatever number's on your weapon and any boosts to physical damage you may have.

Each point of Dexterity adds 5 points to Attack Rating, and every 5 points of Dexterity adds...one...to your Defense. Depending on the weapon, it'll be Dexterity or a mix of both it and Strength that boosts attack damage. Bows, specifically, care nothing about Strength and everything about Dexterity, and that's actually a good thing because then, instead of just the damage boost, you're also getting attack rating.

Vitality simply grants max Life and max Stamina. How much is gained is based on the class: Barbarians get the most at +4 per point. Druids, Necromancers, and Sorceresses only get +2 per point. All other classes get +3. Normally in this game our base health will increased by about 2 or 3 every level, which means to really get a Life total that can survive things, Vitality becomes very important.

Energy is Vitality, for Mana. It grants max Mana and how much it grants depends on the class, with Druid Necro and Sorc getting the most and Barb getting the least. However, putting points into Energy also indirectly boosts how much mana you regenerate per second...at a very miniscule rate but I'll cover how that works in a later update.

The thing is, the per-point investment of most of these stats can be either bypassed or ran without:
  • Strength's only other use is to put on good armor...not because they're high Defense but because they have the mods you desire.
  • Dexterity has more applications, to be fair. Blocking chance is based off it, and as mentioned bows and other weapons care about it. But oh man the straight gains off Dexterity is very, very small. Early on, +5 Attack Rating per point sounds like a whole lot. When our level also matters for hitting things and our natural Attack Rating can break 4 digits later, 5 points more is not a whole lot. Extra points in Dexterity doesn't have a solid impact on anything and, like Strength, if you don't do physical damage or don't block, you can ignore this.
  • You do not need points in Energy. You need Mana Potions instead. You get max Life and Mana every level without ever putting a point into either Energy or Vitality. Early on you won't have a whole lot, but later you'll get enough Mana to comfortably spam any skill you want. Chug mana potions in the meantime. Now, especially if you're going to respec later, you can put some points in Energy to give yourself a little more Mana to work with before having to chug, but do keep in mind that Energy does nothing else.
  • And that just leaves Vitality.
You see, it's not just that more Life = less dying. Think about this from a hardcore perspective, where you aren't allowed to die. 10-20 more Life per level really adds up, and there will be times where you'll get hit a lot. You don't need to devote your stats to killing faster. That's what your gear and your skills are for. You should be using them to not die. Even the crutch points in Energy can be a hard sell because there could be a matter where you could've survived if you had just a bit more Life. Since most of the good builds don't rely on a weapon and Energy does nothing to spell damage, the other stats have well-defined limits to their usefulness.

And let me make sure you understand. Sure, you could improve your weapon damage and chance to hit, but then you're losing Life doing so. Your gear will demand you put points in Strength and/or Dexterity, there's no getting around that. But keep in mind that putting 100 points in Strength for double your weapon damage, means you are without, on average, 300 Life. A level 20 Assassin will have around half that unless you dump all her points in Vitality, tripling her survivability.

The best argument for putting points in something other than Vitality is if you use shields, because blocking demands you put enough points in Dexterity as well to get a good block chance. Weapons that use both Strength and Dexterity may sound good, but then you realize one point is now boosting your damage for LESS than if it had just used a single stat. While this still allows you to get the benefits off putting points in Dexterity instead of Strength, it's still getting less per point.

All that said, though, you know what's the best use of your attribute points is? Holding them until you're needing them. It won't be immediately apparent how much Strength and Dexterity you'll need for any gear you find, and if you're playing softcore death is a slap on the wrist early on. Having the option to adapt to problems instead of being locked in to a solution is the wise thing to do here.

If you're hardcore though, yeah, the more Life the better.

The rest of the character screen, like Attack Rating, Defense, those damage numbers, will be covered on a later date.

Image Some of our mods don't like this and will change how this works though. For example, Eastern Sun gives you this charm, which will give various damage bonuses based on your stats. Your max damage goes up with investment in Strength and Dexterity, and your Energy improves elemental damage, with how much depending on what you're using. The normal elements get 1% per 4 points, magic and wind, which is something you'll see in classes like Paladin and Druid, only get 6, and because summons are a little dumb they get +1% every 2 points.

Image Funny enough, Median XL does nothing to these stats...all the meanwhile really increasing your base Life and Mana so Vitality becomes significantly less impactful. However! Direct damage spells will scale their damage off your Energy, (through a new mechanic called Spell Focus) meaning if you use spells Energy becomes an option for improving damage.

Time for a new update, where we decide that loot is more important than saving the world for a brief moment.

Mechanics Talk 2-Attack Rating, Defense, and Running

So, you've heard me shittalk melee and anything using Attack Rating quite a bit already. Today we're here to explain why and also lump in how running works as well because you may not think it, but it also has a factor in not getting hit.

First, Attack Rating. It's a massive number that doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of trash item affixes in basegame will just give a paltry amount to AR, which sounds like it's good when you use weapons/physical damage, but when I say paltry, I mean "Eeeeh that +10 to AR might give you an extra percent chance or two to hit...early on."

Percentage boosts to AR make a bigger difference, and incentivizes getting a good base AR so that you get a better multiply bonus. However, these are mostly available through skills that multiply AR, like Sacrifice and Stun. There's some ways to get AR multipliers off items, but most of those are sets and uniques.

But, here, let me finally break down what AR's deal is. This is the formula to see if you ever hit someone with a physical attack:

Chance to hit% = 100 * 2 * ( alvl / (alvl+dlvl) ) * ( AR / (AR+Def) )

alvl = your level / dlvl = defender's level
AR = your attack rating / Def = their defense

Chance to hit is clamped between 5% and 95%.

In layman's terms, the 100% base chance is doubled, then reduced based on how greater their level and Def is over yours. I want you to realize something important: character level matters for hit checks. It actually matters just as much as AR.

Later on, these numbers will get much larger, and as a result, small differences will matter much less. But there's a problem in this: you see, if both of you have the same level, and the same AR and Def, then what happens is your chance to hit comes out to 50%, or, you miss half your attacks. This is because, if your levels are 20, then (alvl/(alvl+dlvl)) is worked out to be (20 / 40) or 0.5, which means that 200 is dropped back down to 100. The same thing will happen if your AR and Def are the same, and now you'll have crap accuracy. How do you escape this? By having several times the AR as their Def, and that just does not happen in Diablo II, especially when higher difficulties will jack these numbers way up. Guess what having double their level equates to? About a 17% boost so it's around 67% chance to hit. If you have twice of both their level and their defense as AR, then that goes up to a ~88% chance to hit.

One of these factors is going to cap at 99. Highest monster level tends to be around the 85 range, so being level 99 and having equal AR to their Def means your hit chance is...53%. Twice their Def is 71%. Worse: as these numbers get higher, it becomes much harder to get the double, triple, and greater quantities of AR to completely overwhelm their Def and have a reliable chance to hit.

And finally we'll always have at least a 5% chance to hit and a 5% chance to miss. The issue here is that we don't attack nearly often enough early on to shrug this off. Later, if we choose to swing or shoot weapons, increased attack speed, or IAS, will typically be the solution to monsters that will have significant edges in level and Def, and that's almost a guarantee. The monster numbers scale but your Dexterity bonuses do not. They're so insignificant and the item affixes so minute that it's really not worth it to try to boost your AR without the use of a skill that multiplies it. It's also just not something to seek on gear. There's much better mods to run in its place.

All of this applies to Defense as well, but Defense is more straightforward to increase. For starters, you really do not get much of a bonus from putting points in Dexterity. (1 point of Def per every 5 Dex baybee) It's instead off using gear with higher base Defense. Just enough points to put on the heaviest armor or whatever's appropriate is the solution to dodging attacks. Another solution is to just never get into melee range and dodge arrows like you dodge spells.

I'm not saying these two mechanics are useless. I'm saying trying to focus on them takes a lot more effort than other mechanics to focus on. Your level and your choice of skill will be the biggest contributions to using a weapon. Item affixes won't add much, especially not points in Dexterity. Even when you get it you will have the hardest time in the world figuring out if it made a significant difference, and the answer is usually no. This is why whenever you want to hit monsters more, you should consider swinging more often first before deciding to increase AR. They're both relevant for melee, and when you're swinging fast enough, your statistics on hitting versus missing will normalize so that that ~3% increase can translate into a more tangible boost to damage. But eventually you can only do so much.

It is possible to get the AR necessary though. 5 digits in AR is feasible and will make most everything hittable. Even around 5,000 AR will give you a good enough chance to hit near the end of the game. The reason why AR is unpopular is, instead of devoting parts of your build to that, you could be devoting those parts fo other things like oh I dunno, life, raw damage, not having to roll to hit.

Course, none of this applies if a monster hits you while you're running.

Stamina is a resource that is only lost when you run or are hit by monsters that drain stamina. It's only used to run, and there's something about running you need to know if you plan to dodge hits. Did they swing at you? Yes. Are you running? Yes. Okay. They hit. Guaranteed. They don't even roll for the attack so if you were running when they swung and you're still in range, it doesn't matter if you have yes Defense, you're still hit.

So don't run around in combat! You can run around all you want between combat and you can run to break away from enemies but when you're in the middle of a horde don't run unless you want to get hit! This will not only solve you getting hit despite having a lot of Def, it'll also make sure you don't run out of stamina...in a game where you should be putting more of your points into Vitality and bringing stamina potions if you're running that often.

I'm sorry the game or even its manual never tells you running's weakness. If it makes you feel better it's mentioned in Arreat Summit.

I am caught between night of the 2nd day and midnight of the 3rd day, so new update is now. It's the end of Act 1.

Neeeeew update. We pull up to a desert city but there's evil afoot!

Mechanics Talk 3-Blocking and Getting Hit

You may have thought AR was headache inducing. I didn't talk about shields until now, where very few things about it is actually explained to you by the game.

Each time you are hit and you have a shield, you have a chance to, instead, block it, taking no damage but still going into what's termed blockstun. Hitstun and blockstun are different, and item affixes can speed up one or the other. Unfortunately, this does mean faster hit recovery is not faster block recovery, which means you can recover quickly from one, but not the other, unless you get both. This gets worse.

If you are in either hitstun or blockstun, you can't block again. This means no, you can't block forever. If anything, if you're not careful, you'll block, then either get hit, or block again, then get hit again, and so on so forth. (blocklock) You can definitely shorten blockstun to the point where you'll have a high chance to block most attacks, but you still don't want to sit there and take many attacks at once. This is why most people will care more about speeding up hitstun, and defense is still relevant even if you're blocking.

But, that's not the biggest problem with blocking. No, it's this formula:

Chance to Block% = (Shield + Bonus) * (Dex-15) / (clvl*2)
Chance to Block is capped at 75%

Shield = Shield's base block chance
Bonus = Class-specific block bonus, and bonuses from items and skills, all summed together.
Dex = your Dexterity
clvl = your level

Bonus is added to block chance and it depends on what class you are. Paladin obvs has the highest at +30. Druid, Necro, and Sorc all have +20. The rest have +25. Bucklers for example actually have no base block chance so it will be 30% for Paladin.

The way you make this block chance higher is by having Dexterity. A lot of Dexterity. They, did not program a floor in this, so your chance to block is actually WORSE if you go several levels without putting points in Dex. The worst part is, you can't really beat this tide unless you dump points in Dex. There's builds that would like decent block chance, or even a max block chance of 75%, for various reasons. Most builds however do not let that trouble them. As before, the higher your level gets, the harder it is to have investment in hitting and dodging matter at all. To have base block chance you need 2 points of Dex per level and 15 more. That number gets much higher if you wish to try to hit the cap through Dex. No, instead, you'll typically use a high grade shield (with high base block chance) and then affixes to get there. It is definitely possible, but Dex has to get a good investment of points, (213 Dex at max level to get normal block chance) which can be unappetizing to some people, because all those points could be in Vitality instead.

Some monsters can block as well. Obviously the ones that are shown to have a shield, (like Skeletons) can block, and have their own base chances to do so, but curiously, many monsters have defined block ratings but don't have actual animations for when hey block. What's even funnier is some monsters will have this and still be able to block, all because of a single variable in their stats saying "no it's fine you can block". This means, Greater Mummies, and every act boss, despite not having shields, can and do block. There's a couple others but I think pointing these two out is the most fun.

Anyway, hitstun or hit recovery happens when you take significant damage. The more damage you take, the more likely you are to get hitstun, but you need to take at least 1/16th of your health as non-poison damage. This is what makes blocking an investment: any damage blocked will put you in block recovery even if it's just a plink, meaning, for your sanity, you will need faster block recovery to minimize time spent sitting around doing nothing. I'm sure plenty of fresh meat have tried to get max block, and then realize they're sitting ducks most of the time because they're always in blockstun.

As for what you can block, typically anything physical. The block check happens after a successful roll to hit, and is affected by nothing but your Dexterity, which means, if you go down this path, you have a 75% chance to just ignore any attack you can block. This is actually really good when paired with enough faster block recovery that you can reliably keep blocking. Spells and elemental damage don't care about silly concepts like hit checks, and if they don't roll to hit you don't roll to block. You, can block things like monster explosions and the explosion from Fire Enchanted uniques, but not block things like Corpse Explosion, Smite, or anything that doesn't deal physical damage. It's not intuitive. Don't ask me for the full list. But I'll share an amusing fact: you can't block anything while holding an item in your cursor.

Anyway, the second thing. Remember how you could always get hit when you're running? There's one exception: you can still block. ...Course, keep in mind your block chance is reduced to a third when running so that'll actually be 25% and not 75%...and if you block you are going to stop running because you're in blockstun now, but hey it's something.

So, is blocking good? Sure, it can be, later on. Paladins specifically are the best at blocking. If you don't want to use their class-exclusive shields and stack block speed, Holy Shield just makes whatever they're wearing extremely better, to the point where you're blinking and missing you block. Early on you won't have powerful enough gear to support blocking most of your taken attacks, because you won't be A: blocking enough, and B: blocking fast enough. Instead, in most scenarios, more Life will work much better for stopping blows due to how hitstun works.

But I do wanna stress: 75% chance to quickly block is a very effective defensive mechanic. Even then shields are always good to have even if you don't get a high block chance because they allow you to stack more item affixes than using a two-handed weapon, but that's a story for another day.

Image These block chance numbers go waaaaaaayyyyy dooooown in MXL. The formula is the same, but your base block chance is either, 3, 1, or 0%. So shields provide block chance right? ...No. Unless it's a class shield which will give you all of 1 extra percent. To be fair, with how wumbo the numbers can get, you can get a good block chance...except it's capped at 50% instead of 75%.

...Okay nevermind.

New update. Some mods streamline the macguffin gathering process in Act 2 by giving us the Cube already. The other mods? Well,

New update. Happy almost Halloween! What better way to celebrate spooky holiday, than to stumble around in the dark?

New update. Today is the day I call the Vizjerei a bunch of idiots. How? Click the image to find out.

Mechanics Talk 4-How gaining Life/Mana and gaining Resistances work

There's quite a few ways to recover your red and blue juice without using potions. The reason why I haven't really focused on them, until now when I'm doing a wonky way to recover mana with Greg atm, is because they're a mess of mechanics, which means another mechanics talk.

For Life, players have 0 innate regeneration. Everyone else does, this includes your minions and hirelings. Courtesy of D2 FAQtoids, here's the formula:

regL/s = Lmax * vreg / 4096 * 25

regL/s = Life regenerated per second
Lmax = Max Life
Vreg = Unit-specific modifier to life regen

So if you say, have 300 Life and a regen rate of 2, you get about 3.6 Life regenerated per second. The formula isn't necessary, I can just use simple English: get more Life on your minions -> they get more Regen. There's no way to change their base regen otherwise.

Replenish Life, meanwhile, is an item affix that grants you life regen. There's, uhh, one singular problem with this. Every single source of Replenish Life is pathetically miniscule. It'll say Life Replenish +1. You may think it's 1 life per second. It's 1 life over 10 seconds. It's not exactly 10 seconds but it's a close enough approximation that you actually need Replenish Life +10 to get, all of 1, Life, regenerated per second. (As a quick note, there's a rare Drain Life affix that's just this but in reverse. Like poison it can't kill you. It just makes you really easy to kill.)

Diablo 2 is not a game where life regen is a viable way to stay alive. I've only ever used it to heal off damage from encounter to encounter. The mods make the wording much more clearer but I haven't seen any of them try to make it viable to run so far.

Life/Mana after each Kill is another affix that may sound good, but it also falls off over time and, you must directly land the killing blow on the enemy to get the recovery. This means builds that rely solely on minions never make use of this affix. That said though, it's better than most item-based ways to recover.

Damage Taken Goes to Mana is an affix that sounds like what the Sorceress Energy Shield does, but it's not splitting damage to your Mana. It's returning a portion of damage taken to Life as Mana. It's missing the word "suffered" somewhere in there. There isn't any hoops to go through but if you are taking that much damage to clear content in this game, you're probably not clearing content efficiently. Maybe if you're melee? I dunno, it's hard to sell this affix.

Finally, there's X% Life/Mana Stolen Per Hit, or, life/mana leech. It does what it says: deal damage, get a percentage of that as leech back. What it doesn't tell you and what really limits its usefulness is, it must be physical damage. You can't leech off elemental or magic damage. If you use spells, which most people use elemental damage over physical for their primary source, this affix is useless. It gets better: some monsters can be physically vulnerable but you still can't leech off them because they just have resistance or immunity to it. And then there's the fact that each difficulty nerfs how much leech you can get off anyone. It's disgusting. They nerfed it way too hard for it to be useful in most builds. If you are a physical build or you have a good secondary physical damage source, though, it can power your mana hungry spells...in the right build, where you are able to afford the gear and/or skill points to make that happen.

Now while Life Regen is barely noticeable, you do innately regenerate Mana over time, quite slowly. No matter your maximum Mana, you will regenerate from 0 to full in 2 minutes. So the higher your maximum Mana is, the more Mana you regenerate per second. Replenish Mana % is an affix that makes little sense at a glance, but what it does is speed up the rate. Replenish Mana 100% means you'll get full mana in 1 minute instead of 2. 300% will turn that to 30 seconds, and so on. Curiously, this means doubling your max Mana has the same effect as getting 100% extra Mana Regen...and at the end of the day, that's probably more useful because you're not just getting more mana regenerated per second, you're also getting a bigger can of juice to cast spells with.

At the end of the day, the answer most people will give you is to chug Mana Potions. Levels and gear will also give you more Mana, which will improve how much Mana you regenerate, and allow you to sling more spells before quaffing.

All this means skulls are terrible when slotted into anything but your weapon.

Anyway, Resistances. Yours is boosted primarily by your gear, whatever socketables you have put in it, and then some skills can provide additional resistance. They work as a modifier to the percentage of damage taken of that element: if you have 75 fire resist, you take a quarter of any fire damage dealt. 75 cold resist also means chill durations are cut to a quarter. Same goes for 75 poison resist and poison duration. There is, curiously, a floor to how low your resistances can get, and it's -100, or double damage. We've already seen some nasty elemental damage and we only see many more flavors of bonus elemental damage, so resistance capping is a must for most builds. Of course, some types are more important than others: poison outside of Andariel can either be avoided or safely ignored. Cold resistance to cut down on chill is important, but there's not that many common sources of cold damage. It's, strangely enough, fire and lightning resist you want. The former because the big sources of fire damage are very lethal, and the latter because of Scarab Demons among other things.

But there's a bit more at work here: their resistances. There are a couple skills that can lower those resists and cause them to take more damage of certain types. Amplify Damage works this way by lowering physical resist, which is an actual thing the stat screen never shows. You may hope that these are how you punch through damage immunities, and in certain cases you're right.

Immune monsters will have resistances at 100 or more, which will be shorthanded to "take no damage". If you attempt to lower those resistances, your debuff will apply at 1/5th the usual rate. If a monster has 110 Lightning Resistance, you would need to apply over -50 Lightning Resist to break the immunity. Several monsters are nice enough to only have 100, but some will have 150 and be utterly invincible to that element. I will have words about this later, when this becomes the norm.

But don't despair. -X Enemy Elemental Resistance doesn't do anything to immunities, but work as normal if you break the Immunity. Meaning a 100 Resist monster, that gets broken down to 90 with your lower resist, will now take the full reduction to resist from that affix. That makes that affix an absolute premium for most builds, since it's one of the most effective ways to multiply your damage output.

It's also buggy in that the monster may no longer say it's immune, but it still is. There's a couple other tidbits here, but I'm not known for covering every detail. We're getting to the point where we're looking at very advanced mechanics that the devs have no idea how they work, let alone me, so this is a good time to stop.

So, if you are wondering, yes, you should have backup damage types for much later on.

Alright, new update's up. It's the end of Act 2.

Mechanics Talk 5: Item Affixes and Where to Find Them

Are you ready for :words:? Because I have a lot of them today.

There's many item affixes, and some of our mods add even more, ever more. Going over all of them isn't necessary especially since a lot of them aren't good, but today I'll be going over how they work, and the cool affixes you can find on magic and rare items.

For starters, whenever an item is generated, it will be generated with an affix level, or alvl. It's an invisible variable that determines what affixes can show up. How the game determines alvl depends on two variables of the item:
-The ilvl/item level, which is typically the level of the monster who dropped it, which in most scenarios is the area's level, but in Normal, monster levels won't necessarily line up with the area's level. Act bosses and a couple other superuniques and monster types do not follow this rule at all, and will have their own level per difficulty.
-The qlvl/quality level, which is a level based on the item type being dropped. This determines two things: if the item can even drop from the monster, and it also influences what affixes can be rolled.

Furthermore, there's also Treasure Class. I'll briefly describe this because this is sanity-blasting trying to truly comprehend this. What monster you killed will influence what can drop. We've already seen a practical application of this with the Countess, but many monsters, superuniques, and bosses will have their own biases to what can and can't drop. It's brought up here because certain monsters are more likely to drop magic items and up than others, like oh, act bosses. This is as far as I go describing Treasure Class though because it's nightmare material. Just remember: certain monsters are better targets for what you want than others.

So let's start with magic items. All affixes are seperated into two groups: prefixes, (X Sword) and suffixes. (Sword of X) Magic items when generated have a 50% chance to have a suffix, a 25% chance to have a prefix, and a 25% chance to have both.

Rare items are like magic items except they will roll anywhere from 3 to 6 affixes. I think I mentioned previously they can roll 2 but I might've been wrong back then. (Might've been because similar affixes will be read on one line. The game does that.) It's 3-6, with you being most likely to get 5, and the distribution of affix types being no less than 1, no more than 3 pre/suffixes. Other than that, they're the same as magics.

All affixes also belong to affix groups, which are there to limit what you can get. If you get an affix from one group, you can't get another affix from that same group. The best example of this is guaranteeing you won't get the same affix twice, so unfortunately if you roll the highest tier of +Life, for example, you aren't getting the second highest tier of +Life as well.

Ilvl and qlvl also determines if the item can even drop as a set or unique item, since they have their level requirements as well. Each unique and set item also has its own qlvl, and if the game decides to make the dropped item green or gold, if ilvl is not the same or higher, it will be downgraded. (Though as a pity prize, it'll have extra durability.) Some endgame uniques have very high ilvls that you'll only see matched by Hell act bosses and beyond.

Each affix has their own affix level, or alvl, attached to it, which is a rough estimate of how well the item's level must be to roll that mod. Most affixes do not have a ceiling to the range, which means, unfortunately in vanilla, your magics and rares can roll affixes you can find in the very beginning of the game even when you're grinding in Hell. Mods fix this, mercifully, but I don't recall off the top of my head which ones do. I want to say all of the LP mods do, but don't hold me to that.

Now then, to finally explain how alvl is calculated. I found this formula off a forum post on Amazon Basin, and here it is:

If (ilvl>99) then {ilvl=99}

if (qlvl>ilvl) then {ilvl=qlvl} ;** see note below

if (magic_lvl>0) then {alvl=ilvl+magic_lvl}

else

{

if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))

then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}

else {alvl=2*ilvl-99}

}

Here's the formula in layman's terms:
-ilvl can't be higher than 99, and if qlvl is greater than ilvl, ilvl becomes the same as qlvl only for calculating alvl.
-Magic_lvl is something explained in a bit.
-If there's no magic_lvl, the formula changes depending on whether ilvl and half of qlvl equals 99 or more.
-If it's less, then half of qlvl is subtracted from ilvl and that becomes your alvl. This means items with higher qlvl will have a worse alvl, and in turn roll worse mods.
-If it's that or more, then only ilvl influences alvl, and this will create a range where qlvl will do nothing and only ilvl matters. This won't be for a while though.
-It is impossible for an item dropped from a monster to have a qlvl greater than ilvl, since ilvl must be equal to qlvl or higher to drop in the first place. There are, however, ways to get an item with greater qlvl than ilvl.

The biggest takeaways from this is that crap item types that drop much later on, will actually roll better affixes...which is not good news for builds based around using gear damage and defense because it'll be a pain in the butt until those builds are past the slump.

Now, there's some extra wrinkles in this formula: qlvl is based entirely on item type, which each of them having their own qlvl. Jewelry have a qlvl of 1, and charms either have 1, 14, or 28 for qlvl depending on whether it's grand size, large size, or small size.

Certain item types, however, do some extra tomfoolery with this formula. Namely, circlets, staves, wands, and orbs. These will have a secret bonus to ilvl (the previously mentioned magic_lvl) and it will result in rolling better affixes, because, instead of using qlvl at all, it will instead set the alvl to ilvl + the magic level bonus. While I'm here it's worth noting that circlet-type items can roll a lot of different high-power affixes, so they tend to be worth at least looking at when they drop.

This is my rough estimation of how affix rolling works. The actual math is far more eldritch and incomprehensible. Looking for info on the web about this is a nightmare. Parsing it is even worse. So, I mainly just clap my hands and go, "Farther in the game you are, the better the mods it'll roll. The worst the item is, the more the game tries to make up for it by rolling better mods" That's a good rule of thumb, especially when you ignore gear damage and defense.

Since it's in the neighborhood, set and unique generation is mostly similar: when that item type drops, it has a chance to be a set or a unique item in addition to being magic or rare. If it does, and it satisfies the other requirements, it'll become that set/unique. The exception to this is jewelry. If you get a amulet, ring, or jewel to drop green or gold, instead, it picks a random valid choice out of the pool of uniques or sets. Like item affixes, there's no ceiling to what can show based on ilvl, and ilvl still needs to meet a certain unique-dependent qlvl, so items like the very elusive Stone of Jordan has to compete with every other unique ring that can show up, which are far more likely to drop than that specific unique. Same goes for set jewelry.

Now for the fun part of this Mechanics Talk: what you can find. This is not an exhaustive list, and it mainly just showcases the affixes you'd love to see on gear, and also on uniques, since some affixes you'll only ever see on sets and uniques. Mods do play with this concept, especially Eastern Sun and Median XL, but everything listed is going off vanilla knowledge. These mods can only be rolled on specific gear types, and I am not gonna go over every single one. Read Arreat Summit or somethin' if you want in-depth knowledge, but with very vital affixes I'll help ya out then.

+X Added Elemental Damage: This is added to any weapon hit you do, and early on, your charms will generally roll this and you'll keep those to get good damage output, if you're going melee or ranged.

+X Added Damage: The physical version of this affix is worth pointing out, because plenty of things look at your weapon's base physical damage, and completely ignores added elemental damage. This mod, because most affixes don't add that much, is generally brushed aside in physical builds, but it can help.

+X% Damage: This is another weapon better mod, except it stacks with added physical damage, multiplying it as well, leading to wumbo physical damage with your stick. There's also an affix that gives a flat bonus to AR and a percentage bonus to weapon damage, and those work just as well. Do note that all forms of added damage act different depending on whether it's on the weapon or on something else. If it's on the stick, it'll multiply the base damage before skills multiply it either, but only apply to that stick when dual-wielding. Otherwise, the affix will be added to all weapons you're using, but be summed with skill-based +X% damage and be less effective. (though still useful) Ditto for +Defense and +X% Defense affixes on armor.

+X Life: Self-explanatory. Is good to find on a rare for, uhh, everybody.

+X Mana: Jewelry, orbs, and Circlets can roll this, and they do help with fueling magic spells, probably better than any other way to fuel magic spells honestly, including mana leech.

(Based on Character Level): You may see affixes that will scale based on your level, but I am pretty sure most of them are very paltry no matter what. Not the worst thing to find on gear if it lines up with what you want it to do, but it won't be the same as rolling the top tier affix that doesn't scale with level. A very cool concept that'll get used in mods to varying success though, so I'm pointing it out here.

+X Element Resist: This is the time I get to point out that oh hi, gear will be your primary way of getting resists, whether it be from affixes like this or having sockets you can put resist gems/runes/jewels into. It's very vital and I won't stop stressing this.

+X to (Class/Class Tab) Skill Levels: One of the best prefixes to find, because it doesn't care about the level 20 cap of skills and most everyone can make use of it. Even if you're not relying entirely on skill level for damage, it'll still contribute, but is important to point out that it depends on the skills. Some skills don't care much about it, while others very much care. Some skills rely on your weapon damage instead and that'll make boosting that more important than boosting the skill's level. Anyway, comes in two flavors: all skills of that class, and all skills of a specific tab if you're that class. There's also just "X to all skills" affixes that can be lumped into here as well. The easiest way to get the affix you want is to use class-exclusive gear, which will roll skill affixes for that class and no others. Amulets and generic gear can supply them as well but can roll the affix of other classes, making them zonk prizes for you. [MXL] Also, Median XL heavily nerfs skill bonuses off gear in most cases, in that the big boosts will only care about base levels. While that's tragic, it does mean you can focus on different affixes in most case.

+X% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items: Yeah this affix gets its own Mechanics Talk.

Add Sockets: Some magic and rares can have an affix that gets them free sockets. However, runewords demand specific socket amounts and normal items, so you'll only be able to socket gems and jewels. On one hand, you can find really good rune and jewels to socket in those. On the other, some of the best things you can use this affix with? Are incredibly rare. Unfortunately, because a quest reward can punch sockets in, and this takes up an affix slot, it's not particularly desirable.

+X to Stat: Largely useless, but +Vit/Eng is basically just free Life/Mana. ...Free Life/Mana that will be ignored by skill-based boosts like Oak Sage but what I'm saying is it's not quite a zonk prize. Sure, +Str/+Dex can help you equip gear, but uhh, there's quite a few fun bugs involving only being able to equip gear because of other gear you have, and then having to do things like collect your corpse or play multiplayer or have charms with this.

+X% Increased Attack/Cast/Hit Recovery/Blocking Speed: So all these mods are being grouped together, because they are all extremely good and vital. They're all suffixes. Attack speed can be found on weapons and gloves; cast speed on amulets, circles, orbs, rings, and rods; hit recovery on armor, belts, and shields; and block on shields. Faster attack and cast speed just acts as an extra additional multiplier to your damage output, only hindered by if you get hit, but that can also be sped up by recovering from hits and blocks faster. Finally, while it says a percentage, it is kind of correct. Every animation has a base framerate in this 25 frames per second game, and to tick that down by 1, because it can't do percentages, you must have enough speed increase to get it down by a whole number. (This is referred to as breakpoints.) Several animations also have a hard cap on how fast it can go as well, so plenty of tools and charts exist to just tell you how much speed you need for what action you're doing.

+X% Faster Walk/Run: Mentioned here because, when you don't have a skill to zip around everywhere, this is what you use. Find it on shoes and circlets.

+X/+X% (Magic) Damage Reduction: So, early on, Magic Damage Reduction was fantastic because it reduced every single type of damage except physical after resistances. I have since been corrected by enough people that, no, unfortunately, it's done before resistance reduction, making it incredibly useless. I can't even redeem this by saying it does affect magic damage, because there's very few sources and I'm pretty sure none of them are so lethal to warrant using this. Maybe mods fix this, I can't tell. Normal Damage Reduction, however, can be useful if you are capable of stacking enough of it, since if you get the hit down to close to 0 Amplify Damage will be harmless, but it does have the issue of only affecting physical, and, offering really small amounts of reduction per affix. Man. :eng99:

+Attacker Takes Damage of X: Mentioned here because this is the iconic zonk prize to get on an item. It sucks so bad. It gets no bonuses from anything else. There's some skills that also have this effect, but instead multiplies the damage they dealt and give it back to them. Also it only works on melee hits, which is plenty of hits, but not, all of them. Finally, you'll never get a good amount of damage returned, no matter what. It's trash.

Knockback: Mentioned here because you may think it might be good, because you typically have better melee range than every monster, except, it doesn't work on some monsters and it only works one at a time. Also, you'll eventually knock them out of your range and have to move up to hit them, losing damage output. It sucks. Archers can somewhat benefit from it, though.

Attack Ignores Target's Defense: This is not as good at it sounds. For starters, it treats target defense as 0 and proceeds as normal with the hit formula, meaning levels still matter. Also, it only works on normal monsters, and not champions uniques bosses and so on. So while it does give a considerable boost to hit, it's not reliable and it does nothing against the worst offenders.

Prevent Monster Healing: Useful later because, upon weapon hit, that monster will no longer regen, which is useful in certain scenarios, but those are few and far inbetween. Doesn't stop reviving either that's a different affix.

Half Freeze Duration: Useful. Applied after cold resist and it chops your chill length in half. Unfortunately getting this twice doesn't give you chill immunity, and for the longest time I and many others thought this. This is what happens when the official strategy guide gives up on setting things straight because it admits it itself cannot grasp the true form of Diablo 2's mechanics.

Indestructible/Self-Repairing: Never have to repair this. Fun fact: Ethereal items can roll Self-Repairing, but not Indestrucible, which is a funny failure of trying to balance. Zod runes also grant these, and so do certain runewords. Fun fact 2: Ranged weapons and gear you are going to give your merc don't care about durability, because in those cases they never wear down. (fun quirk) In those cases, congrats on your zonk prize.

Replenish Quantity: Okay, if you're using a yellow throwing weapon you will need this mod because it'll allow you to effectively throw forever. Otherwise you will run out of throwables far too often.

Skill Charges: This is different from extra skill levels because it is tied to the item itself and has limited uses. Unfortunately those two points make them terrible for most cases. The level of said skill is tied to the ilvl, does not benefit from any skill bonuses whatever, and is really patheticly leveled. I'm not going over every such skill, especially the ones that just provide...uhh...an attack, or a low-grade damage spell. And those are what you will get most of the time. But, there are some good things to find, like most Necromancer curses, Oak Sage, Enchantment, or...Teleport. :unsmigghh: You see, Teleport as a charge skill can show up on staves, (along with orbs amulets and circlets) and staves can not only be equipped by anyone, but they're sold in shops. Once you get far enough in the game to have the shops selling items with level 24+ affixes, you can go grind for a teleport staff. I recommend you do this, because Teleport is busted and will allow you to skip across most dead-ends with relative ease. Who cares if it has limited use and it'll cost a bunch of gold to refuel? You, weren't using gold for much anyway, and you can just save it for when you dead-end or it's faster to clip through pits and walls than go around. I've even had mods just delete the skill charge affixes because they're bad the other 90% of the time and Teleport is hella OP.

X% Chance to Cast on Y: Oh, these things. Their effectiveness depends entirely on what they are, what level they are, and how they're triggered. You can either trigger this off hitting something, (on strike) getting hit, (when struck) or just attacking with a weapon at all. (on attack) 9 times out of 10 they're useless because it'll be 5% to cast uhh, Level 3 Charged Bolt, when struck. It'll do pitiful damage and you can't boost it. Sets, uniques, and runewords though do give better levels and are more usable. The chance to cast a damage spell on attack/strike though aren't bad since they will, at least, indrectly scale off attack speed. If they're strong enough you don't even need weapon damage, just maybe a good chance and enough speed. One of the best things to get, though, is 5% Chance to cast a Necro curse on striking. (if you aren't using curses already) Level 1 Amplify Damage on strike is pretty common as well.

Freezes Target: On weapon hit, you freeze them. Only works on normal and minion monsters, the rest are only chilled, and it doesn't say but it's a chance to freeze, that while fairly high, is dependant on your level and theirs and nerfed if it's a ranged hit. It's also random how long it'll last. Nonetheless, it is useful because it'll be very consistent on melee hits.

Now, the following affixes will only show up on uniques and sets. Possibly even runewords:

-X% Target Defense: This is better than ignoring target defense, in that it applies at half effect for super uniques and bosses and full effect for everyone else. It'll eventually cap at setting their Defense to 0 but it'll be useful for weapon builds as you will, eventually, bring down everyone's defense.

X% Piercing Projectiles: Applies to any projectile thrown or shot with a weapon. Since piercing projectiles apply to all non-magic skills shooting a projectile as well, this can be really good for Amazon and other classes using ranged, because on-hit effects, like oh say Immolation Arrow, will apply again for each additional monster hit. It's not easy to get a hold of, though, especially in good quantities, since only one belt and one set bonus gives this affix outside of weapons, but it is possible to get it very high, or even maxed at 100%.

+X/+X% Elemental Absorb: Flat elemental absorb works like damage reduction, but will also heal you for the amount reduced. Just like damage reduction, its effectiveness depends entirely on whether you're playing in the past or the future. It's actually not bad though, especially the percentage-based absorb, since it's effectively applied at double the rate. I wouldn't expect it to actually heal you though. It probably never will.

X% Deadly Strike: Or, chance to do a critical hit. :eng101: It doesn't just deal double your physical damage, it deals double your MAXIMUM physical weapon damage. This is a very sought after affix if you use a weapon for damage, but regrettably it won't stack with other ways to do the same thing, like Assassin's Critical Strike and the Weapon Mastery passives of Barbarian, for example. Once one of those succeed, the rest of the rolls are ignored. You can't do a double crit.

X% Crushing Blow: :eng101: This is the best affix you'll ever use for melee or ranged. On weapon hit, the target loses a percentage of their current life. By default, with melee, this is 25%. And let me remind you, you can swing reaaaaaally fast in this game. There are some "attempts" to balance this affix: that life loss is cut in half if it's a ranged hit, cut in half again if it's against a superunique or a boss. 1/16th per successful Crushing Blow though is still, uhh, yes much life lost, and nothing's immune to it. This is a boss killer and a crowd clearer. If you're melee, it's your best friend. Even the most terrifying bosses will eventually be brought low if you're allowed to hit them enough times. All the balancing Blizzard did to remove ways to dunk bosses and this one still exists. In case you don't follow, I love this affix, and I love using this whenever I can. Monster life scaling due to multiple players does not translate to Crushing Blow at all and it'll remove 1/4 of 1x that monster life, instead of what their actual max life is, but it's still very good and, that wrinkle doesn't stop me when I do most of my gameplay by myself without using /players 8. But, uhh, keep that in mind.

Open Wounds: On weapon hit, causes life degen for a period of time. It's based on your level, but it's really only useful to counteract monster regen because, like poison, it doesn't stack, and it doesn't deal a terrible lot of damage. Better than Prevent Monster Heal though.

Slain Monsters Rest in Peace: Never deal with shamans again! By the way, if you're with people who want those corpses, (or you want those corpses yourself) they will HATE you for utilizing this affix. Handle with care.

Slows Target: :eng101: This is the other busted affix to find on shiny things. It will slow their move, attack, AND cast speed by the listed percentage on weapon hit. It's capped at 75-90% slow, (depends on the speed type) each individual hit can only afflict 50% slow at a time, and there's some hard caps to how slow monsters can go. Other than that, nothing's immune, or even resistant to it. It also stacks with chill. All affixes sum together, and you can find this on plenty of things. No one is safe, not even Diablo.

+X to Skill: :eng101: Referred to as oskills, these items do not care who you are or what you are. You have this many levels in that skill now. Works best if you aren't the class that has that skill, otherwise, such boosts are capped at +3. You can only find them on uniques, sets, and runewords for good reason. Several mods do not care and want you to have fun. Regardless, oskills work in funny ways: all skill bonuses stack with them. If it's an aura, it is applied automatically and for free...in exchange for not benefiting from other skill bonuses. Non-auras get every skill boost except those that say (class only) when you're not that class. It is extremely powerful and allows you to do some real goofball stuff with your build. It's also delightfully buggy because they seriously underestimated how many interactions there would be by shoehorning this in! That's why I can say with confidence I have not scratched the surface of interactions with this thing. It's an extremely hard affix to grasp and understand how it works. Just get your +1 to Teleport off Enigma and stop thinking about it. Image Image These mods specifically put in ways to just give you high levelled oskills as well. It's worth noting because that can lead to some extra bonus fun. I've already had rings that just gave me a free level roughly 15 Oak Sage. Oak Sage is a good skill.

Phew. That's enough affixes. This is more of a cookbook on what affixes to hunt for while building than anything, and I figure I needed to pen this down as a list since we have been making use of a lot of different toys found on our gear. Because charms and jewels are different and there's still the matter of runes that all will be covered in a different Mechanics Talk.

As for, how to get more drops and better drops, that's a topic for another different Mechanics Talk, so hang tight.

Did I mention item generation is the Final Destination of trying to understand Diablo II?

New update. It's time to head into...oh boy.

Strike of the clock it's day 4 now. New update is now instead of when I go to sleep. What I'm saying is the sooner we escape this jungle the better.

New update. Made this one in advance so I could chill. The good news is it worked and the bad news is I can't remember the last 4 days.

New update. Top of the world time, and time to dismantle a bad religion.

New update. Hell. Hell is here.

Mechanics Talk 6-I Can't Hold all this Bling.

There's quite a bit more to charms and socketables than meets the eye.

First off, Charms. Charms are an unfortunate mechanic in that, you will want to dedicate your entire inventory space to good ones, (and just use the cube to hold loot) but getting good Charms take a while. A long while. That's because, in the midst of the bad stat mods and bad damage mods there's life and resist charms. Later on you can find charms with magicfind and either faster hit recovery or faster run/walk, and much later on, you can find charms with + to skill tabs. However, funny enough, + to skill tabs can only show up on Grand Charms, which have a qlvl of 24 which makes the alvl of 50 required to roll them far more annoying.

Charms only come in magic...unless you're a mod like Eastern Sun where there's rare charms. They also come in unique as well, but exactly one unique drops normally: a unique grand charm called Gheed's Fortune that is a boon of goldfind, magicfind, and even lowers vendor prices which means cheaper gambling. The next best source of magicfind out of your inventory are small charms that rolled the best magicfind affix it can. The other two uniques are only possible to obtain through endgame events, and they're both really good. If and when we ever breach the tippy top of the mountain, I'll go over them then.

Finally, the smaller charms roll worse mods, but since Grand Charms fit unevenly into your inventory you'll want to have Small Charms for later when you no longer need inventory space. This is all endgame though. Early on your charms and inventory space will be mainly used to patch up resistances, because each of the high affixes grant like around 8% per space of inventory, or 5% to all resists. It's also easy to reconfigure your charms to patch up new holes in your resistances when you swap out gear. It's much harder to fix holes with gear without creating new holes in resists.

Image Image Several mods, these included, do more than just give you a massive amount of extra inventory space. These mods also make that space the only space you can put charms in to have them function. They'll be colored red, and it both allows you to lug more charms around, and still give you good space to pick up stuff, sidestepping this problem entirely.

Image Image The other mods simply just remove random charms. Resurgence doesn't expand inventory space at all and both it and Median XL only have unique charms, which are special in that you can only ever have one of a copy of that unique in your inventory. So, good news: every mod on display here makes charms less pain.

Next up we got Gems. Gems are fun early on, and Topazes in helmets have a desirable mod for any point in the game: magicfind. The elemental gems are also good for a cheap effective resist patchup shield, that is just a white base with a buncha sockets to get a large volume of resists on it. Outside of those, the worth of gems drop off after, I wanna say Normal, or just, if you get a solid yellow, green, or gold in the slot instead. Yellows can even eclipse what a white with gems can do because it's not like those gems can add in stuff like attack speed or cast speed.

There are, however, uses for gems outside of socketing though, and there's quite a few. The first is rune uptiering, and it's probably the most annoying since uptiering beyond the easy-to-find runes requires the right color and tier, with the only exception being skulls and perfects. You don't use skulls for rune uptiering and it's not rude enough to ask you of perfect gems. However, there's no gem downtiering to fix gems that drop too high tier. This is why not a single one of our mods keeps it like this. The gem cost is either removed outright or it's easy to get the exact gem needed.

It's worth noting here that Gem Shrines exist in the wild, and will either give you a chipped gem, or, take a random gem out of your inventory and upgrade it. Not the most amazing thing but it does save two flawless gems to get a perfect.

The biggest thing to use perfects for is probably to reroll blues. You use up 3 perfects but you can take any blue item you had and reroll the affixes on it, losing no ilvl or alvl off the item. There's one solid application for this: rerolling charms, because it's a lot more of a pain to get enough +tab Grand Charms to fill out your inventory than it is to get the 8 you need and then dump any perfects you get into rerolling them.

Chipped gems can also be used with store-bought health and mana potions to get a rejuv potion. You can also make full rejuvs this way by using normal gems instead, but uhh, it's, much, cheaper to make three rejuvs this way and cube those together. Not to mention you can just find regular rejuvs in the wild.

The last major use for Gems is perfects and a jewel into making crafted items. I uhh, will get back to you on this, because every mod expanded this and there's different things to want out of those. But for now, basegame allowed you to take blue items of specific types, toss in a rune, perfect gem, and jewel, and then get a crafted item out of it. The item is guaranteed to roll a handful of mods and then you can have 1-4 random affixes with it. Ilvl plays a part in how many can show up, and at certain thresholds, you're guaranteed to get a number of affixes, with at least 2 for ilvl 31, 3 for 51, and all 4 for 71.

Image This mod not only improves the powerlevel of gems by making them do considerably more, it even adds wild concepts such as an extra tier (blemished) and gemwords, or, runewords but with certain gems instead. The basic ones can be used with any tier of gem. The rest requires perfects. Most of those gemwords are actually just the flag colors of countries to be inserted into your helmet and I tend to ignore them unless I need something now. Then there's crystals, which is functionally the same as gems, but have better effects and are only gotten through ores, which is something that'll be explained in more detail later.

Image There's like, around double the types of gems you can get here and half the tiers for them, (normal to perfect) but that's about it. Since they're quite plentiful and you only need four normals to have a perfect, they are what you put into your sockets to do things like patch up your resistances and get percentage multipliers to your stats, which is important for certain things later on.

What's up next? Oh right, Jewels. Basegame I've only ever seen one solid application for jewels: making crafted items. Jewels don't have a wonderful pool of affixes to pick from, and Median XL is unique in that it is generous to allow you to fill excess sockets with jewels before adding in runewords to white items. Basegame does not do this. Blue jewels are rare already but even more rarely you can find yellow jewels. Like Charms, they're torturous to want because somewhere in the mess of bad affixes you can find some good stuff late in the game for them. From my experience, yellow jewels are extremely rare and you still need to roll good on them, so if I had to think of a use case for the rare affix reroll recipe that lowers the item's level, it's with those jewels.

Image I think I have only ever gotten 1 unique jewel over all my playthroughs up to writing this: it's in Median XL and it adds a meager but relevant chance to Crushing Blow. Sure it can be used to fill up space for a runeword but do keep in mind that a limitation of MXL makes it so that you can't get it back if you use it this way.

And that's my segway into Runes. Oh there's a lot to talk about here. First off, plenty of Runes are just good socketables by themselves: outclassing gems in what they do, some of them having really nice modifiers for either your weapon or armor/shield, and you get the right ones and you can make Runewords to turn white socketed items and bump them up to the power level of uniques, maybe even higher.

You just need to first get a hold of the runes, and this is the start of madness. There's 33 of them of the game, and they're vaguely seperated into "low runes", or the first 14; "medium runes", the next 11; and "high runes", the last 8. You see, what can show up depends mainly on either treasure class (the unspeakable) or area level. (for things that aren't monsters) "High runes" are notoriously hard to roll for because each rune has a worse chance to drop than the last. You may find a monster that can drop a tier 33 or Zod rune, but if it fails, and it probably will, then it downtiers and rolls to drop that rune, repeating until it either hits the lowest tier or it finally succeeds. They are stupid rare. Magicfind does nothing to improve drop chances either, only /players 8, which squashes nodrops down to a minimum, will improve your rune gain. Those two concepts are the next mechanics talk by the way.

You may think the answer is just farm Countess, but Countess does have a problem in that she has a cap on how high of a Rune she can drop and it caps at...Ist, which is the last middle rune. Sorry! On the bright side, if you just need the lower tier runes for a runeword, then Countess grinding works.

Shoutouts to Image and Image who introduce way more runes.

Image Median XL does funny things with runewords in that all of them are gone and are replaced with two types of rune-words: ez-bake oven runewords that are typically just 1 to 3 runes, and then the ones that want like 6 of the "greater runes" they've added in. I'll get back to on this if and when I ever get the bigger runes to drop.

Image This mod especially adds a lot of runewords because all the runes are Japanese characters now, including way more runes for kanji characters. Sky's the limit. You may think all the runewords are new, but if you really want a Dream or Enigma, you can apply decals to certain runes to turn them into vanilla runes and then make the old runewords. This is the only way to get basegame runewords in Eastern Sun. ...I'm not too sure why you would either because they're not buffed and ES's additions tend to eclipse them in power. You also have to, get the decals in the first place, in addition to the runes, and there's no uptiering the decals. I think at this point you would only ever make a swag vanillla Runeword in ES just for brag rights.

Happy holidays. Let's celebrate today's update by going to santa's house.

New update. There are demons in the base.

New update. Ever wanted to go to a Barbarian's house?

Mechanics Talk 7-Magicfind and /players 8

So sometimes cool things can drop, and that's a major part of the game, so how do we speed up getting to the good part?

There's two solid ways to do it and one of them's a lot more complicated than the other.

X% Better Chance to Find Magic Items is misleading. It doesn't mean you get more blues. It means, whenever an item's rarity is rolled, this acts as a multiplier to all probabilities that aren't "keep it a normal/white item". With 100% MF, you'll have twice the chance to get, uhh, every rarity, but most importantly, in theory, your unique drop rate is doubled. In practice though, there's a bit more going on.

Any item that drops starts by rolling to see if it's unique, and then checks for set, then rare, then magic, before failing all of those and going down to normal. Because magicfind is a multiplier to all of tose, the actual formula for getting things is simple enough to explain for Uniques, but, not for anything lower because it requires the unique roll and any before it to fail. Again approaching but not daring to try explaining treasure class, certain monsters are more likely to drop the good stuff than others. Like runes in the last Mechanics Talk, when a monster chooses a particular treasure class, it has a chance to actually drop something from that, and each treasure class will list items appropriate for its level. If it fails, it downtiers the treasure class and tries again until it either succeeds or hits the bottom. As you may have also guessed, each higher treasure class is less likely to succeed than the one below it. This makes the highest leveled uniques extremely hard to find, because, in the first place, you must find a monster with the correct treasure class that's high enough to even get a chance. Typically, higher the monster level, better the treasure class. This system has been used to give bosses and superuniques on the highest level maps uniques that are impossible to find anywhere but them, due to a combination of treasure class and monster level reaching the highest it can get.

Chests/containers are notoriously hard to get anything out of because even if you open them in an area that's level 85, it tends to just give you garbage. There are, however, some exceptions that do not use treasure classes at all. The one you may have seen is gold chests at the end of optional dungeons. The one I'm interested in are what's dubbed "super chests", which are completely unremarkable except they have a set table of what can drop and don't use treasure classes at all. (I think.) This makes them far more reliable to get loot from than any white monster or normal chest can give you. And yes, some of these combinations is to give you high Runes, which makes specific areas in the game good places to grind. I'll leave it to you to find these yourself, because I have only found conflicting information on which areas are good targets. Also keep in mind gold chests aren't super chests, though some super chests sparkle, just because this is a mechanic they did not set in stone because Diablo II is full of coincidental game design. However, you should grind for these if you want high runes. It's kinda uhh, substantially better than any other way to farm Runes in the game, because super chests cheat. There's no better way to put it.

Now, there is no direct downside to stacking as much magicfind as possible, but you are sacrificing functionality to roll better, and there are definitely breakpoints where, if you want this many more uniques, you want this much magicfind and no more. This is because what grinding like a pro entails is a delicate balancing act between magicfind, clearspeed, and the third thing.

Whenever a monster rolls to drop something, there is a chance that it just drops nothing. Every monster has this, even bosses. Bosses can roll multiple times but each and every one can just fail and drop nothing. How do you combat this? Simple: you get more players.

In multiplayer, it is exactly as I said: join games with more players in it. It's complicated, but the simplest way to put it is get in a band of 8 and be in the same area together. In singleplayer though, this is hitting enter to open up the chat and entering in a specific command: /players 8

There is little use for the chat in singleplayer but that's the biggest one. (/nopickup is a thing as well but ehh.) It acts as if your game has that many players in it, and does its changes based on how many players are in it. Increased players do the following things to monsters per extra player in it:

-Gives them more life.
-Makes them deal slightly more damage.
-Makes them give more experience.
-Lowers the chance the monster skips a drop.

It's that last part we're interested in, though, the "more experience" part is also useful. If you have the clearspeed for it, increasing player count will give you more experience over time and allow you to completely outpace the game. (It's why I haven't been using it except for off-screen grinding.)

As you add in more players, the base chance for a "nodrop" roll goes down. At 7 or 8 it gets as low as it can get. (weird math means dropping to 7 is neglible.)

Course, the balancing factor is that the monster take considerably longer to kill per each player. This is normally counter-balanced by the other 7 players dealing damage as well...but in single player you're the only one around. ...And magicfind only cares about who lands the killing blow, so everyone has to bring their own magicfind to improve the quality of drops.

There is, however, one exception to this rule: your minions. Your minions get your magicfind, but for whatever reason, magicfind works funny when it's on both you and your merc. If your mercenary gets a kill, it doesn't just use its own magicfind, it adds yours as well, which means if you both have 500% MF, a merc killing something will have 10 times the chance to get a unique. Of course, this has some drawbacks, and the most obvious one is that your merc has to make the kill and not you. Last I checked the best merc builds can clear content fairly well, not on the hardest difficulty, so for certain things this is a good idea, but if what you're looking for is elite uniques or high runes, then this is not worth doing. Oh and, remember that your merc, unless a mod has something to say about it, only has three or four slots for gear, which severely hampers how much MF you can stack.

So, all that explained, here's what you, the end-user, do. Deal as much damage as possible, because your clearspeed is the primary factor on how many times you will roll for what you want over a period of time. There's graphs and stuff for finding the optimal rate to grind given how fast you can clear monsters and how much MF you have. You can find those yourself. I'm just gonna say that you should keep the following in mind when trying to grind like a champ:

-You must first be able to actually MAKE said rolls at an efficient rate. If you can't cleave through hordes of monsters on /players 1, setting it up to /players 8 is not gonna give you more drops. If anything it gives you less. (You'd have to go veeeery slow for it to not give you more experience though.) Going from 1->2 is a bigger difference than 7->8, but you will definitely want to pick a setting that doesn't grind demon slaying to a halt for where you want to grind.
-Magicfind is only relevant for finding uniques, sets, rares, and jewels. If what you're looking for is runes, charms, and even white items, magicfind is either useless or detrimental. Explicitly, if you are looking for a socketed white item to put a runeword into, you want to run 0 magicfind.
-Playercount gets you more drops and nothing else. (itemwise) It also has a clear drawback as you raise the count since it asks you to have ever higher damage output to keep pace. It is, however, worth striking a balance between, "You clear it fast enough," and, "You benefit from the lower nodrop chance." Experimentation is key.

Finally, there are limits to what magicfind and /players 8 can do, but luckily they aren't the same for both of them, save for one thing:

Magicfind:
-Does not improve quantity of drops.
-Does not affect drops that have no particular rarity. This means dropped charms, gems, and runes do not care about MF.
-Does not cause better tiered items to drop.

Player count:
-Does not improve quality of drops.
-Does not cause better tiered items to drop.

That last part is what makes this annoying: you can drop as many items as you want but they are all subject to having a chance to just roll as a boring item you'd find on normal instead of an exceptional or elite item where permitted. This is because neither of these mechanics give you a better chance for the treasure class to roll successfully. I bring this up, because sets and uniques are tied to what item base drops, so the best you can do is indirectly improve those drop chances by increasing the amount of spins you make.

The Countess is a fun example of treasure class and nodrop insanity as well, because her guaranteed rune drops happen after normal rolls, and most monsters are capped to dropping six items at a time. Once they drop 6 they stop rolling. Potions last I check don't count thankfully, but it does mean the Countess is best ran, by yourself, because with many players you may just get no runes. (It's also better from a grinding perspective online: 8 players grinding Countess gets more runes than 1 party of 8.)

One last tidbit before I let you go: bosses, when you kill them the first time on each difficulty, will have a much, much greater chance of dropping magic items. Afterwards, while their drops are still better than most everyone else, you won't be getting constant yellows, greens, and golds from them.

New update. Time to finish mountain climbing.

New update. Let's take a look at that stone.

New update. It's time to save the world.

So, that's that. We have finished the game. Sanctuary is...and we can rest easy.

So, what's next for the LP?
  • First off, the spoiler rule is gone. Feel free to discuss all the things about Diablo now, including resurrected things and even content much later on.
  • For those who are new, completing the game has unlocked a new difficulty: Nightmare. It's also teased the final difficulty: Hell. I have unfortunate news regarding the LP though: Nightmare's boring as all hell, and the mods don't do a whole lot to make it more interesting. (Median XL does quite a bit of changes, but they all carry into Hell, which has MUCH more going for it than Nightmare.) It's honestly because making this game interesting 3 times over was definitely too hard. Our mods can really only make it interesting twice over. That means, once the last Normal updates go up, I will probably zoom through Nightmare so we can get to the good stuff.
  • So far we haven't seen a lot of mod content in this LP, save for ES and MXL. Thankfully, once Hell starts up, that should change and the later updates should now focus on mod content and how they make the end of Diablo II unique in their own ways.
  • I am likely to take a break after a couple updates to finish up playing the characters and get a backlog set up again. I burned through it all. I don't expect this to take too long but I never know how long it takes me to shake off burnout. I played a lot of Diablo II. Some may say too much, and I'm not done yet.

Merry Chrimbus. For your support, I prepared a little something for you.

New update. Cruisin' Sanctuary.

And with this update I am going to go on hiatus. Knowing me, this'll be for about a month but I may be faster/slower depending on how things go. Thanks for reading the let's play so far, I do not intend to be done here, and I hope to see you soon.