Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Put your Let's Plays in here.

Hello!

This is Count Revier, someone who found this site while looking for good Let's Play forums. I signed up to share my playthrough of a rather obscure game in my favorite(if similarly obscure) series.

So, Tactics Ogre. This is notable for being one of the most prominent strategy RPGs made for the SNES, in Japan anyway, as well as for being a major departure from its predecessor, March of the Black Queen. It features a lot of stuff from March.., like a class system, alignments for characters, multiple branching paths through the story, and tries to recreate them faithfully, as well as it can in a different genre.

Furthermore, you might notice from some screenshots that this game has an isometric point of view; in fact, it employs mechanics related to height quite extensively, and sometimes really ends up feeling like a 3D game, despite being very sprite based. This was very inventive back in the day, and has since been broadly adopted by the strategy RPG genre, alongside several other prominent mechanical trappings. Hell, it's actually considered a pioneer of the genre for its contributions, though it gets overshadowed by Final Fantasy Tactics -- ironically, a later game developed by the lead designer, Yasumi Matsuno himself.

As for how good the game is? Well, I have mixed feelings. I think a lot of what it tries to do is quite interesting, especially narratively, and the base mechanics themselves aren't bad. However, it is noticeably hamstrung by poor balance, with ranged characters, particularly bow users, often feeling way more dominant than anything else. It also has a pretty awkward difficulty curve, with some maps spiking sharply in difficulty before dropping down immediately afterwards. Oh, and some maps are also quite rude in their design. But hey, I think the game itself is pretty interesting despite all these flaws, so I'll try and portray it justly.

For my Let's Play, I think I'll largely go with screenshots for the gameplay, highlighting specific moments of interest, and rely on a mix of videos, screenshots and transcribed text for the story parts. Furthermore, I'll be comparing the script from the PS1 version to that of the PSP remake. Why the PS1 version, you may ask? Well, the game was only released outside of Japan first as a PS1 port, the SNES version remaining untranslated until fan translators picked it up. So I'll be comparing two official translations to see how they stack up.

As for spoilers, I don't mind, so long as you tag them when appropriate.

Oh, and fair warning; the PS1 script has quite some profanity, including characters calling each other some extremely rude names, like "bi***". Consider yourself informed.

I expect this Let's Play to go at a fairly leisurely pace, considering that I have multiple commitments to attend to, but I will try and update this on a weekly basis, at the very least.

See you all soon!

Index:
1. A Choice Encounter (PSP version)
2. Marching onto Krizar (PSP version)
3. A Lodisian Negotiation (PSP version)
4. Journey to Baramus (PSP version)

5. Fugitive Travels (PSP version)
6. Friends? (PSP version)
7. Back Home (PSP version)
Last edited by Count Revier on Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:09 am, edited 12 times in total.

Once all the company logos go by, the game opens with this pithy, if poorly placed bit of foreshadowing/reference. Here's it in full:

"In an ancient era, there was a time where strength ruled the world. It was an era where evil reigned with the knowledge of iron. An era called Zeteginea."

This reference exists in every Ogre Battle game besides the first, to my knowledge. It's mostly talk about the events of the first game, where the Zeteginean Empire conquered four kingdoms and imposed harsh rule upon them, until they were eventually defeated in a rebellion led by the player character. For the most part, the events of that game are not that relevant to this, but there are definitely a few recurring characters from it.

We soon move to the main menu afterwards, but not before being informed that this is the seventh episode of the Ogre Battle saga. For the record, March of the Black Queen was the fifth episode, and while an official sixth episode doesn't exist, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is a prequel of sorts to this game. Ogre Battle 64's place in the timeline is rather tenuous, though they do mention the island archipelago this game takes place on in that game. Basically, the Ogre Battle series was likely planned to have a bunch more games, but unfortunately it stalled before that happened, so there are gaping holes in the timeline.

Anyway, the main menu is fairly basic and self explanatory, so let's move on and start a new game!

"Before the game" simply opens the tutorial. We aren't going to cover that.
We are the daughters of Filhala, the lord of heaven and earth. Speak thy name.
Naturally, this is followed by a pretty standard naming field. I'm just going to name him after my username; while some amusement could be had with a community picked one, this is a fairly serious story overall, and I would rather have the name reflect that.

Note that his canon name is Denim. Yep. There's a reason for that, which will become clear soon.

We can then pick our day of birth, which gets translated from the regular calendar to the Ogre Battle one in real time. Note that a few of the month names are off; some of these are meant to be allusions or references to Greek elements, astrological signs, ancient gods, that kind of thing. As will become very apparent, this game doesn't exactly have a strong translation...

Oh, and don't worry about the impact of the birthday on the gameplay, it's extremely minimal.

Then we are asked to swear a prayer, an offering, and a vow to each of the elemental Goddesses. This is mostly a bunch of convoluted nonsense that doesn't matter much, since all it does is affect the stats on Denim(henceforth called Reives), and the sum of his stats are equal, regardless of what answers you pick. It doesn't even really work from a roleplaying perspective, since you can't pick an option multiple times to answer the goddesses, so eventually you're going to have to be rude to one of them. If you're interested in how all of this works, check out this handy guide here.

This, on the other hand, is pretty straightforward. We pick the element Reives is attenuated to most. Core character elements don't matter all that much until later, unless you use certain tricks, but at least they are pretty easy to discern and consider for.

I going to pick Earth because I think Reives would be a pretty humble, down to earth person, at least in my head.
May your path be glorifed by our Father.

We then open with a pretty frantic introduction. We see a bunch of knights storm through a town and raze it to the ground, with some good ol' mass slaughter thrown in there for good measure. Interspersed between them are scenes of someone else riding frantically somewhere. We eventually cut to a church, where the knights from earlier drag away a priest, while a young man tries to rush behind them in protest, but is stopped by a young woman. This is soon followed by cutting back to the same church at a different point of time, with the other person now strolling past it and into a house.

If you're confused by all this, don't worry. These scenes will make a lot of sense soon enough.

That morbid title aside, we cut to the inside of the house, where we see the young man and woman from earlier!

Yep, that man there is our protagonist, Reives. As for that woman, we'll learn her name soon enough.
Vice: Just as we had heard.
Reives: Gotcha. Well, I guess this is it, sis...
Kachua: ...This isn't a very good idea...

Meet Kachua, Denim's sister. As you might expect, she'll end up quite important to the plot.

Kachua: We can't possibly win!
Vice: What are you talking about, Kachua? Isn't this what we've been waiting for!?
(Kachua slightly lowers her face)
Kachua: But... three of us... against the Dark Knights...
Denim: Don't worry, Kachua.
Denim: They're not expecting us.
Vice: Are you chicken, Kachua?
Vice: I'm still going to do it, even if you guys wimp out!
Reives: (turning to Vice) Relax, Vice. Don't say such things.
Reives: Let's go.

They head outside, to the exterior of this house featured in the introduction. Of course, it doesn't quite match up fully, but eh, details.

Kachua: what good is it to kill these guys?
Vice: Lans is the leader of the Dark Knights.
Vice: They're the source of Bacrum's power.
Vice: By killing Lans, we can weaken the Bacrum forces here for a while.
Vice: Then the Gargastan forces will make their move and invade Bacrum. Then we can launch our counterattack!
Kachua: (turning away from Vice) ...We're still recovering from the last war. Are you trying to start another one?
(Vice walks forward to Kachua in response.)
Vice: What do you mean we're still recovering, Kachua!?
Vice: The Walstanians are being treated like shit!!
Vice: Gargastan is trying to wipe us out!
Kachua: (turning to face Vice) But... to start a war over reasons such as these...
Kachua: We'll just end up losing...
(Some knights stroll into the scene, just slightly off focus)
Reives: ...Shhh! They're here...
Vice: (Looking at Reives) We will attack from both sides.
Vice: Reives, you attack from the rear!
Reives: (Looking at Vice) Alright...
(Reives moves away to a lane on the right as a birdman flies in. Vice and Kachua take up positions.)

At this point, gameplay begins, and we're given a short tutorial about how character turns work in this game, as well as how to consult tooltips for further information. I'll go into that in detail when we face a more involved battle than this one. For now, suffice to say that characters are given turns based on their speed and weight, and the higher their speed, or lower their weight, the faster they will get a turn. There's no turn assignment based on team, so it's very much possible for an agile unit on your team to have their turn be followed by a bunch of enemy turns before you can act with other units.

We move and decide to attempt an "Indirect" attack, which, in this case, is Reives throwing a stone at them.

At this point, you should be noticing some familiar names and faces if you played March of the Black Queen. Odds are, you should also be able to recognize where the plot goes next.

The stone's throw is supposedly out of range, however, the game will let you throw beyond this range anyway! This is one of the core features of this game: displayed range for ranged attacks is merely an approximation of where they would be able to reach. It doesn't reflect height or obstacles either. I have pretty mixed feelings about this: on one hand, it does feel empowering to call shots that aren't displayed in the targeted area, but on the other hand, having a targeting indicator be misleading doesn't feel great. I can cut them some slack though, after all, this game originally came out on the SNES, and varying the indicator to account for obstacles and height would likely be more than a bit complicated on that system. Besides, it's not that hard to get used to ranged trajectories, in my experience anyway.

Anyway, we stone Warren, and Vice proceeds to stab Canopus. Or attempt to, at any rate.

Vice: (taking a few steps back) We are warriors of the Walsta Liberation Army! We will avenge our people's suffering!
Knight: Avenge?
Winged Man: What a polite way to welcome people... Look at them, they're just kids!
Knight: Wait. Are you sure you're talking to the right person?
Vice: If you're name is Lans, then you're our enemy!
Knight: Indeed, my name is Lans.
Knight: How did you know?
Vice: You and the Dark Knights burned down this town a year ago!

Ah, this explains the intro cutscene then. Lans and his band of knights burned down the village and took away a priest related to Reives. Then, in the present day, Vice spotted these knights being led by a Lans, and thought it was them. So what's the deal with him, then?

Knight: Dark Knights? But we are from the eastern kingdom of Zenobia.
Kachua: ...I remember now, the Dark Knight Lans has only one eye.
Knight: Hmm, a one-eyed Dark Knight who happened to share the same name. I see...
Winged Man: (turning to the trio) We came to this island looking for work as mercenaries.
Knight: My name is Lans... Lans Hamilton.
Lans: A knight from the kingdom of Zenobia.
Winged Man: I'm Canopus. People call me "The Wind Rider". And the old fart, his name is...
(Canopus gestures towards the old man.)
Magician: Warren... Warren Moons...
Knight: (bowing slightly) My name is Mildain Walhorn.
Mildain: A Zenobian Knight.
Knight: (stepping forward a bit) And my name is Guildus, also from Zenobia. So stop looking at us like that.

Yep, they pretty much give it away. It was a case of mistaken identity all along. Furthermore, most of these people worked for the rebel army of the first game, and were implied to be hired into high positions in the Zenobian court in the canonical(read: good-ish to great) endings, so if you played the previous game, you should quickly be able to tell that their supposed motivation of being mercenaries for hire now is utter hogwash.

Vice: ...But I thought... I guess they're not the Dark Knights...
Kachua: Please forgive us, but I must ask for your help.
Lans: We're new to this island.
Lans: Tell us what is going on.
Vice: My name... is Vice. ...Damn it, we're wasting time! We must find the real Lans!
Kachua: I am Kachua, a Priestess.
Kachua: And this is my brother, Reives.

We're given a dialogue choice here, however there's frankly no good reason to instigate the Zenobians, nor does much story change for doing so. Later on, there will be dialogue choices which will actually be quite impactful to the story, and I'll point out when they show up, but this isn't one of them.

Reives: I'm Reives. Forgive us.
Lans: ...We sure were surprised.
Lans: But never mind that...
Lans: ...It's very hot here. Why don't you take us somewhere cool and tell us your story?
Kachua: Let's go to our hideout.
Kachua: We can't offer you much but at least it's cool.
(Everyone proceeds to leave to the left.)

Overall, I like that whole sequence. It was a pretty snappy and effective introduction to our trio of protagonists, the world they live in, and how a silly mistake ended up leading to a huge potential opportunity opening up for them. In particular, I like how Kachua keeps trying to pull down Vice from his schemes and how she's very pragmatic, despite trying to fight a revolution. She's the one who ends up inviting the knights while learning of their true identities, being quick to take advantage of their newfound opportunity. If there's one criticism I have, it's that opening the game with such a long string of cutscenes ends up making the player feel uninvolved, and perhaps the dialogue could be shortened to make things go faster. In particular, the introductions could be thinned down a bit without losing much. However, this is still a pretty great introduction to this game, and I have frankly little to complain about, even with the somewhat shoddy translation.

Alright, this is a good point to stop this post. I hope you enjoyed it, and look forward to hearing your views here!

Last time, our trio of protagonists attempted to assassinate a knight, but identified the wrong people. Thankfully, they were willing to listen to them and forgive them. Now, we join them back in the hideout.

Kachua: manpower to fight against the country of Gargastan.
Kachua: That's why Bacrum asked for support from the Kingdom of Lodis. Their problem was similar to ours.
Canopus: I see... That's why the Kingdom of Lodis sent the Dark Knights to Bacrum.

So you would recall that Vice earlier was talking about Gargastan and Bacrum, and inciting a war between them to weaken them. Kachua here makes it quite clear how the balance of power stands: Gargastan is quite a bit more powerful than either of the other two nations, which forced Bacrum to seek foreign military aid. She's likely considering doing the same for their ethnic group/state, Walsta, to give them a fighting chance.

Warren: ...The "Roslolian Knights" are the knights that work directly under King Saldian.
Warren: King Saldian commands 16 divisions.
Warren: Their duties consist mainly of espionage...
Warren: Collecting info. from the other countries, carrying out conspiracies... That is why they're the Dark Knights.

Warren then quite helpfully points out their role within the Lodisian state. Though, how this is relevant to the conversation at hand is a bit of a mystery.

Guildus: But why are the Ros...something, supporting Bacrum?

I do like how they acknowledge how ridiculous the name sounds. Though it does make me wonder what it was supposed to be originally.

Vice: Let me ask you something. Why did you come to our island?
Vice: I bet you guys just came over here to take over Valeria, starting with us, isn't that right!?
Vice: The Kingdom of Zenobia and Lodis are going to trigger the war from this island!!
Kachua: (turning to Vice) Stop it, Vice. I've had enough of your conspiracy theories...
Lans: ...I understand the situation now, Vice. Let me answer your question.
Lans: It is true that we are Zenobians. But we no longer work for the king. We were banished from the kingdom.
Guildus: In other words, we're fugitives.
Guildus: We can never go back.
Canopus: Therefore, we're looking for employment. With decent pay, of course.

Again, a reminder that most of these people here were put in high positions in court in the canonical ending(s) of March of the Black Queen. And I'm not sure why they think these three would have any money to hire them? Or perhaps they're just describing their situation in turn.

Vice: I'm not buying into this!
Vice: This is our war!
Kachua: I said that's enough, Vice.
Kachua: You have to excuse him, he's a bit...
Lans: Don't worry about it, there's no need to apologize. What are you planning to do now?
Reives: ...We have to rescue Duke Ronway.
Reives: He's imprisoned in Amorika Castle...
Lans: Who's Duke Ronway? Is that your leader?
Vice: Yeah. He's the leader of the Walstanian...
Vice: He was caught by the Gargastans. We heard that he's going to be executed soon. We have to do something...
(Canopus swoops down the stairs)
Canopus: Hmm... I hear the sound of money...
Canopus: Hey Lans, why don't we help them out?
(Kachua and Reives both turn to Canopus)
Vice: I'm sorry that I doubted you guys. Kachua is right. We don't have the manpower. We need your help.

Ah, so now Vice realizes he was too brash and appeals to them for help? Way to sound insincere though.

(The knights in the back get up.)

Guildus: If it's a deal. Then let's not waste time. Off to Amorika Castle!
Kachua: ...W-wait a minute. There are a lot of soldiers at Amorika Castle...
Kachua: We can't...I mean, even with Knights, we can't win.
Kachua: We'll all die. I don't want to be a part of this.

(Kachua lowers her head solemnly.)

Lans: Reives, it's your call.

We get another, largely inconsequential choice here. The only thing of note is that if you refuse their help, this funny sequence of dialogue plays out.

Reives: This is our war. Please don't interfere.
Lans: I see... We are going to Amorika anyway...
Lans: Not to help you, but to fight for truth, justice, and the Amer... Umm, we're just going in the same direction.

But of course, we don't pick that. There's a few extra lines about how they're going to go there anyway, but they're not too important.

Instead, let's just accept their help.

Reives: We can't fight this alone.
Reives: Please help us.

(Canopus starts walking away.)

Lans: You have yourself a deal.
Lans: Let's get going.

(All the Zenobians leave, and Vice joins them. Denim starts to leave, but is interrupted by Kachua.)

Kachua: ...You never listen to me, do you.
Kachua: ...I know what you're thinking.
Kachua: But I just don't want to lose you.
Kachua: You're the only family I have left.
Kachua: It's just that... you're my only brother.
Kachua: I don't want you to die...

Wow, way to come across as quite clingy, Kachua. Don't worry though, the plot never goes in that direction.

Kachua: I-I'm sorry. I know that I can't stop you.
Kachua: But promise me one thing, don't leave me...

(Vice reenters the room.)

Vice: What are you guys doing?
Vice: Everybody's waiting for you.

(Denim silently leaves. Vice turns to Kachua.)

Vice: You are so over protective, Kachua. He's a big boy now, he can take care of himself...
Kachua: (looking away from Vice) Don't you ever shut up!?
Kachua: My brother is not blood-thirsty like you.
Vice: Look, I'm not fighting because I want to. I just don't want to go down without a fight.
Kachua: Oh, don't talk like such a tough guy. You were counting on those Knights!
Vice: You were the one who invited them! Don't tell me...
Kachua: (turning to Vice) I'm being nice to them so that we can take advantage of them.
Kachua: Maybe if you had half a brain, you would have figured that out already. You should be thankful.
Vice: A priestess taking advantage of people. What a bi***!!

Wow, quite a rude line, even for Vice.

(Vice leaves, and Kachua looks down solemnly.)

Kachua: I just... don't want to lose anyone...

Overall, I liked that scene, despite some weirdness like Warren spilling out irrelevant information about the Dark Knights or Vice acting intensely hostile only to switch his tone later. It's a bit on the long side, but is another decent piece of worldbuilding and setup.

We're now introduced to the World Map!

We get tutorialized briefly on our menu options on the world map, but it's all pretty simple stuff. We can save and load games, read the Warren Report(think of it as an in game lore repository), view our units, and adjust some settings.

As of now, we can only visit Amorika Castle, but the world map does open up quite a bit later.
And that's going to be where I call it. Join me next time, when we assault our first castle and hopefully get to some gameplay!

Addendum:

So you may have already noticed that Denim and Vice are both named after jeans brands. This is completely deliberate - jeans were after all seen as a symbol of resistance against dress codes by students, and were widely adopted as a result. You can read more about it, and the fascinating history of jeans here.

In addition, there are two attract mode videos that play out if you idle on the main menu. One of them talks briefly about classes, and will be covered when we actually get to switching classes. The other provides a lot of valuable backstory, but is by no means required to understand the story as it unfolds. It's a pretty handy watch though.

Now for the Warren Report.

"News" is just a collection of cutscenes from the main story that can be replayed here. "Character" has a bunch of short character bios, and is generally pretty uninteresting. "Hint" covers a ton of tutorial tips, and won't be covered, seeing as I'm going to be explaining most of the game mechanics myself.

"Miscellaneous" however is fairly interesting, it's essentially news articles covering various events in Valeria during the course of the story. For now we have four of them here.

"2nd national day" mostly mentions that Bacrum is hosting their second anniversary at the capital, Heigm. Branta said on the occasion that he was going to repair Eden, the royal tomb complex which will come into play a LOT later down the line. "5 dead in the parade" talks about another guerrilla group attacking the actual Dark Knights during the anniversary celebrations. They didn't harm the Dark Knights much, but a few others were killed or injured in the process. "Execution of Ronway..." mostly covers what we know already, and "Attack from Zenobia?" reports on the Zenobians arriving at Griate and speculates on them being scouts.

And that's that! Join me next time when we storm Amorika Castle for real!

It's time to storm Amorika Castle!

Castle maps consist of multiple missions. They are displayed by the dots on the popout map. You have to do them all in one go; you can't save in between them. Some castles will also have multiple routes to their central chamber later on, and will let you pick between them.

Anyway, the moment we start, we scroll down to this Viking esque man standing at the gates.

Bapalu: Griate. Are you trying to rescue Ronway?
Bapalu: Okay guys. These kids have a price on their heads! These guys are worth 2000 Goth.
Bapalu: They fell into our trap. Kill'em all!

Pretty short and straightforward, as a lot of enemy leader speeches will be. It's worth noting that the bounty placed on the heads of our protagonists shows just how little they matter at this point - 2000 Goth is a pittance in this game.

Also yes, this game's fantasy currency is called Goth. It's an Ogre Battle tradition, and as far as I know, none except Matsuno knows what it means.

The game then points out that the objective of this map is to kill the leader. In fact, that's the objective for most maps in the story - kill the leader, and their forces will scatter. It is possible to short circuit quite a few maps by simply focusing a lot of damage on the leader when they're exposed, though this does mean missing out on experience and item drops. But hey, it's best not to get too distracted from the mission objective!

The Zenobians will tutorialize you on some game mechanics, but they're pretty easily understood. You can cross rivers and gaps in the terrain if they are 1 tile wide, flying units don't care about terrain too much and can fly about anywhere within their movement range, you can check the turn order of units, and units with less weight will get turns faster, units with opposing innate elements will do greater damage to each other, and terrain offers minor bonuses to them, and lastly, MP starts out at 0 for every map, and gradually builds up as time passes by. It's worth noting for the last point that there's a global clock running parallel to unit turns in the background, and every time someone finishes taking a turn, it advances a bit further. MP restoration, poison ticks, and checks to clear status effects run off of this.

So, turn order. It's displayed by the huge fraction next to the "AT" text in the top left. Reives just got his turn, so he's first in the order, out of 15 units. The order for other units similarly gets displayed as a fraction out of the total number of units when moving the cursor over them. It is tedious to check turn order, but usually it's important to do so since otherwise you can be blindsided rather easily. There is a slightly less tedious way to check it by using an L1 shortcut(turned on in the Options menu) but it doesn't help too much. Thankfully, the PSP remake makes it far easier to check, always displaying it in a line at the bottom of the interface.

With that mechanics talk out of the way, let's continue playing the game. Denim goes ahead and tosses a stone, since that's all he can feasibly do right now. When Bapalu gets his turn, he speaks a bit more:

Bapalu: I see... You heard the rumor of the Duke's execution...
Bapalu: Stupid fools! Didn't you realize that it was bait to lure you here!?

Meh, you covered this in your introduction already. Just get on with the fighting.

Speaking of which, here's how that goes...

Yeah, the Zenobians basically trash the hell out of this poor garrison. There's nothing for us to worry about at all.

We do get to see a whole bunch of stuff used though. Spears, swords, magic, bows, all get their time to shine in this little demonstration.

A bit later, Bapalu notices that the fighters accompanying our protagonists aren't native, and comments on it:

Bapalu: You guys are not from the island.
Bapalu: Are you from Lodis!?

Bapalu then decides to go for Reives, but he counters back pretty strongly, and Vice follows up to finish the job.

Bapalu: I-I can't believe I lost...

Then the mission ends, and we get some gold-er, goth as a reward.

Worth noting that bags of loot dropped by enemies do not get lost when not collected at the end of a mission, but rather get granted automatically if they're still on the ground. Keep in mind, though, that enemies or guests can steal them during the mission and make you lose whatever rewards were inside, so try to avoid that if possible.

Our merry band of Zenobians then proceed to the castle gate, and boldly declare their plan:

Lans: through. Be cautious.
Canopus: Reives, don't push yourself too hard. Just stay behind us!

The two accompanying knights run forward, and then the castle gate magically opens. Let's handwave it and say that Warren used an unlock spell.

In between castle maps, you are given a chance to modify your units, however note that any injuries sustained from the last map carries over to the next one. So be careful and try to heal your units before moving forward!

At the castle's interior, we meet a new face - a heavily armored knight, at least sprite wise.

Agres: on vacation...
Agres: Okay guys, these scum bags killed Bapalu!
Agres: Don't underestimate them.
Agres: We cannot allow them to take over Amorika Castle.
Agres: Let's show them what we've got!!!

Not underestimating your foe is good advice, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to help much in this situation. Well, points for trying though.

Lans and Kachua heal us, but really, that's not necessary, Reives isn't going to engage in much direct combat anyway. Otherwise, it's mostly a repeat of the battle outside.

Agres, much like Bapalu, notices that our merry band of fighters aren't Valerian, and comments:

Agres: Where are you from, strangers?
Agres: Why are you involving yourselves in the war?
Agres: This is a war between the Gargastans and Walstanians. It has been fought for centuries.
Agres: Or are you also trying to get Valeria?
Agres: Do you have the same ambition as Lodis? Answer me!!
Lans: We have been banished from our country. We are fighting with these youths for the cause of justice.
Canopus: We're looking for a job.
Canopus: Are you hiring?
Agres: We don't need the help of foreigners. We have our own army...
Canopus: If that's the case then... Let's get Duke Wrongway... I mean Ronway back and get paid.
Agres: Arrogant fools. Fighting for money! Your end is near!

You can tell that conversation was a bit mangled by the translation, yet most of it still conveys its intent pretty well. I especially like how Lans tries to justify his involvement by claiming that he's fighting for a good cause, while Canopus simply cuts directly to the matter of money.

This time around, the two knights kill Agres before long.

Agres: I... I can't believe I lost to a bunch of kids and a chicken man... Impossible...

Is that really how you're going to go out of this world? Insulting your opponent with childish remarks?

He drops the Blessing stone, which is a pretty handy item. I'll cover it a bit more when we have a chance to use it.

And that's it for this post! Next time, we free Duke Ronway, and soon get our own squad to control!

Last time, the Zenobian knights marched on Amorika Castle, allegedly at the service of our protagonists. They effortlessly overwhelmed its garrison, freed Duke Ronway and entrusted him as its lord. Today, Duke Ronway delivers a speech to everyone who rescued him.

Duke Ronway: I'm finally out of that cursed prison.
Duke Ronway: Especially Reives. I am extremely encouraged to know that I was saved by righteous Walstanian youths.

Oh, so that's how he's going to spin things to make his cause more presentable to the people. Alright.

Duke Ronway: You were definitely sent by the Gods to help us in our darkest hour.
Reives: Our comrades are gathering at the castle upon hearing the news of your rescue.
Ronway: There will be little time before the Gargastans decide to attack us.
Ronway: We have to reestablish our army first...
Ronway: By the way, I heard that you were exiled.
Ronway: Is that correct?

(Ronway turns to the Zenobians.)

Lans: It is the truth, sir.
Lans: We have been exiled from our own country.
Ronway: I wonder... How about you, wise man.
Ronway: 2 years ago, when the Kingdom of Zenobia was established, there was always a wizard under the King.
Ronway: And you Lans. How can a king abandon such an intelligent warrior like you?
Warren: I did hear about the wizard.
Warren: But it was not me.
Ronway: Are you Knights anything like the Roslolian Knights, a dark envoy of Lodis?
Ronway: Didn't the Kingdom of Zenobia want to rule over Valeria? If so...
Kachua: Duke Ronway. These Knights put their lives on the line to rescue you.

Lol, good thing Kachua dissuaded Ronway from probing them too much, they clearly couldn't fool him with their excuses.

Lans: A knight will become a knight when he has a master worth pledging his allegiance to. We don't have one.
Ronway: I see... Your word is taken as a token of your honesty.
Ronway: I may give you a reward. I trust you will train my troops and guard my castle.
Lans: As you wish...

(The Zenobians leave. Ronway turns to the three protagonists.)

Ronway: Now Reives, your father was a pastor of Griate, was he not?
Ronway: I remember meeting him once. He was a very bright man.

Ah, so that's who the Roslolians kidnapped in the intro.

Kachua: Duke Ronway, please avenge my father... and all the people who were killed in Griate.
Ronway: I understand. But our first and closest enemy is Gargastan.
Ronway: I shall not only accept you as part of the Liberation Army but welcome you as official Knights of Amorika.

So he's going to employ them in prominent positions to further bolster his narrative of them rescuing him. Alright, not a bad idea, he likely can afford to do that.

Reives: A Knight...
Ronway: The people of Walsta will be encouraged and our unity will be strengthened by having you as Knights.
Ronway: And you shall work directly under me. Are you willing to accept this?
Vice: Of course, as you say, sir.
Vice: Don't you think so, Reives?
Ronway: Good. Then let's make a name for your batallion.

The battalion name isn't very important, and the game doesn't give enough characters to make a good one anyway. I get lazy and name it "YoungWal", short for "Young Walstania". The default name is "Flame" for whatever reason.

Ronway: YoungWal... That is a nice name. I expect much from you.
Ronway: Now, I want you to go a town, it's called Krizar.
Ronway: My trusted Knight, Leonard, is after Nybbas.
Ronway: But it seems that he is stronger than we thought.
Ronway: I want you to go to Krizar and help Leonard.
Ronway: Now, before you leave this castle, you better recruit more soldiers and buy good equipment.
Ronway: For that, I shall give you 20,000 Goth.

See? He definitely can afford employing them. 20,000 Goth is honestly an extremely generous amount of money, and unless you get too eager with your shopping, you're unlikely to run out in the early game.

Ronway: As soon as you are ready, go to Krizar.
Ronway: I will have my other knights accompany you.

(Vice gets up.)

Vice: You can count on us. We will finish what we have started for Walsta's future.
Ronway: I pray for your success and Walsta's future.

And so our band of plucky protagonists running a resistance cell shot up to prominence as knights of Ronway. Cool.

While that was a long scene, it was pretty good at introducing Ronway here. He's quite shrewd and well learned, as can be evidenced with how he could tell what role the Zenobian knights played back at their home. He also understands the importance of a public image, going by how he went pretty far in trying to sell his narrative, up to actually hiring the protagonists as knights and paying them handsomely.

We now obtain four Soldiers and four Amazons. They are the basic male and female class, respectively, and mostly exist to be a standard mold that can be taken in specific directions by changing them into various classes later. While they aren't particularly special, they gain fairly decent stat growths, so there's no harm in letting a unit or so remain in this class if they don't qualify for what you want them to be yet.

There's one final cutscene before we leave this castle. Lans thanks Reives for getting him employed:

Lans: to serve. Thank you.
Reives: We should be the ones to thank you.
Lans: ...I heard that you're going to support Ronway's army.
Lans: We can't go with you, but let me give you one piece of advice before you go off in battle.
Lans: If you do not want to die, train before you go into battle.
Lans: To have the entire unit have the same strength level will make a difference.
Lans: Don't overdo it, though. Just concentrate on your training. Never forget that.

This is good advice - training your units enough before tackling story battles makes the game decidedly easier. I'll determine how much training I'll put them through, though. When I do train them, I'll write about it, and cover how much I leveled them up.

(Reives nods.)

Reives: I understand. Training...
Lans: That's right. Good luck.

We're finally back to the overworld. The game will briefly tutorialize that there are shops and training options available now, that shops exist only at cities and castles friendly to us, and that training involves making your units fight each other and gain levels without risking them in a real battle. And now we're free to march on to Krizar with our own battalion! But that will wait, since next time, I'll start covering the PSP remake's script to compare it to this. See you then!

Addendum:

So, the PSP remake. It came out at around 2011, and was decently received at first, but many complaints abounded about its mechanics, balance, and general gameplay changes. I have to confess, I'm not a big fan of its gameplay and would have abandoned it were it not for One Vision, a mod that seriously revamps the game and actually makes everything feel fair and useful. So don't mind if I rush through it a bit, after all I plan to mainly compare its script, not do a detailed lp for it.

Right away, you can notice that the title quote has changed. It's now:

"Sing to me of a time long past. A time when men answered to power alone. Ruled by steel. Steeped in darkness. Sing of an age called Xyteginea."

It still conveys the same meaning as the original, but the tone sounds more pleasant, as if someone wants to hear about the time of Zeteginea. Also, note the "Xyteginea" in there - that's a fancy restructuring of the original name to make it sound more cryptic/foreign, and is quite common in this translation. I personally don't care for the change, and will generally use the old names, pointing out the new ones as they pop up.

The character creation questions were changed too; now instead of having to swear vows to the four elemental goddesses, we simply answer a bunch of questions based on the tarot cards granted to us. They are in random order, and can actually be used in game for various effects. However, you're always only granted five of them at the start. As before, the answers only influence some minor changes in stats, so don't worry about them too much.

The intro is largely the same as the original, just a bit more flashy and with fancier effects.

The chapter title is quite wordier, and also more ominous this time around. As before, we cut into Vice rushing inside the house to warn Reives and Kachua.

Vyce: It's as we heard, Reives. Lanselot's returned.
Reives: (turning to Catiua) Then it's time. Right, sister?
Catiua: Time to end this madness. We can't beat him. You know that.

Recall what I said about the names? Yeah, it's in full force here. I'm going to switch back to the original names now, since I like them better.

Also, Kachua sounds quite a bit more assertive here, though she's still trying to stop them from carrying out an assassination.

Vice: (turning to Kachua) What are you saying, Kachua? You'd have us pass up a chance like this?
Kachua: It's foolishness to think the three of us might defeat the Dark Knights.
Reives: They're the ones who've been foolish. And we stand to gain.
Vice: Don't tell me you're scared! If you've lost your taste for blood, I'll do this myself.
Reives: That's enough, Vice. Let's go.

So, Kachua continues to try and boldly assert herself, in stark contrast to the original writing where she seems quite worried about them and so speaks in broken sentences. Furthermore, Reives for some reason tries to justify their act by claiming the Dark Knights are foolish? Eh? Vice also comes across as a lot less rude and desperate. All in all, the writing so far seems to be downplaying the emotions of the original characters quite a bit, which I'm not quite fond of.

As in the original, they head out.

Kachua: No... this won't end well. And what do we "gain" by taking their lives anyway?
Vice: Lans is captain of the Dark Knights, and they are the source of Bacrum power.
Vice: Kill Lans, and you remove one of the pillars supporting them. The Bacrum will falter, if only for a moment.
Vice: Yet that moment will be all the encouragement the Gargastani require. They want Valeria for their own, and they will move to take it.

Note: Bacrum is called Bakram and Gargastani Galgastani. Not the worst of the name changes.

Also, Vice blatantly claims that Gargastan wants to take all of Valeria, which seems like a bit of a stretch? In the original text, all Vice implied was that they would invade Bacrum if they sensed them being weak. Which is more understandable, considering that they don't trust Bacrum, especially with them bringing in foreign troops to support themselves.

Kachua: (turning away from Vice) The turmoil of the last war has only just settled, and you'd start another?
(Vice walks forward to Kachua in response.)
Vice: Are we Walstanians so free of turmoil now, Kachua?

Note: Walstanians is Walister in this translation. It tries to make it sound more dignified and old fashioned, but falls flat and mostly seems unnatural.

Vice: We are less than vermin in their eyes - insects to be crushed underfoot.
Kachua: If war begins anew, we'll die just the same.
(Some knights stroll into the scene, just slightly off focus.)
Reives: Shh! They're here.
Vice: (Looking at Reives) We'll flank them! Reives, go round behind.
Reives: (looking at Vice) Right.
(Reives moves away to a lane on the right as Canopus flies in. Vice and Kachua take up positions.)

As before, we stone a wizard, and Canopus blocks Vice.

Lans: Who goes there?
Vice: Friends of the Resistance... and no friends of yours!

Alright, I admit I like that line. It's full of passion, and is something he would utter in this situation.

Lans: The Resistance?
Canopus: I expected a warmer welcome than this! ...Eh? They're children!
Lans: Wait. Do you even know who we are?
Vice: You're Lans, and that makes you my enemy!
Lans: Lans is my name, true. How is it that you know me?
Vice: How could I forget you!? The Dark Knights laid torch to this town only a winter past!
Lans: The Dark Knights...? But we come from the Kingdom of New Zenobia to the East.

Note: Zenobia is called Xenobia. And yes, in this translation, it's the Kingdom of New Xenobia, which is quite a mouthful. I sort of get why they would use "New" to mark themselves though, given that in the lore, they had liberated themselves from Zeteginean rule and restored their kingdom not too long ago.

Kachua: And Lans of the Dark Knights has but one eye. You have two.
Lans: One eye, you say? Would that he lacked my name as well. His reputation, it seems, does me no favors.

In the original, he implied that he knew of this other Lans. Not sure why that bit of foreshadowing was erased here.

Canopus: No marauding knights us, but mercenaries come looking for work.

You might be wondering why Canopus is speaking like that. That's some of the faux old school English seeping in; they did restrain it to a decent degree, but some of it still sounds stilted and poorly placed.

Lans: I am Lans Hamilton, a Holy Knight of Zenobia.
Canopus: And I am Canopus, the one they name Wind Caller. The old fart here is...
Warren: The Star Seer, Warren Omon, at your service.

Omon? Are they that embarassed about a wizard having "Moons" as a surname? Oh well.

Mildain: Mildain Walhorn, a Knight of Zenobia, as it please you.

Note: Mildain is Mirdyn. That.. works, actually. Still prefer the original name though.

Guildus: Guildus is my name. There now, no need to be frightened.

Note: Guildus is Gildas. Also works well.

Vice: I wasn't- I...I don't know what to say.
Kachua: Forgive us, good Knights. But perhaps this meeting might benefit us both. We have need of strength such as yours.

Okay, that's quite blatant. Then again, they did just have a case of mistaken identity nearly throw them into a fight, so trying to ease them by engaging in some flattery is appropriate.

Lans: Tell us your tale, then. We are strangers in this land, and I would hear more of it.

I do like the gravitas they added to Lans' dialogue, it really sells him as a veteran knight who has been through a lot and so knows how to deal with situations like these.

Vice: I'm Vice...and it would seem you are not our enemy.
Kachua: I am the sibyl Kachua, and this is my brother, Reives.

Note: A sibyl is an prophetess figure from Antiquity, usually thought to be the voice of the gods themselves. Quite an upgrade from her former position of priestess! And no, she's not going to be predicting anyone's fate in this, unfortunately.

As in my PS1 playthrough, I'm going to pick the sensible option here.

Reives: Please, forgive our mistake.
Lans: Already forgotten, though you did give us quite the surprise.
Lans: Now, do you think we might talk somewhere out of this wretched heat?
Kachua: We have just the place. It's not much, but it's secret and it's safe.
(Everyone proceeds to leave to the left.)

So, despite my complaints, I do like this translation. While muting Kachua and Vice's characterization is a bit unfortunate, they do add some convincing characteristics to Lans, and generally convey the intent of the sequence pretty well still, while adding a decent bit of flavor to the dialogue in general.

Next time, I continue going through the PSP version's dialogue as the Zenobian Knights decide to storm a castle and liberate a duke. Let me know what you thought about it, apologies if you find these updates boring. I should be getting back to the PS1 version within 2 or so updates.

I've always preferred the PSP translations of both Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. Wouldn't say I was over fond of either version of either game for their gameplay though, so that's the deciding element for myself.

I also tend to prefer the PSP translation for Tactics Ogre, despite it being a little overwrought at times (although not nearly as much as FFT's, thank goodness). The original translation was... mostly functional but felt weirdly casual and perfomatively edgy in places and honestly provided a worse sense of what was actually happening in my opinion.

Also the original translation referred to one of the characters as Aloser which is just unfortunate no matter how you slice it.

As for the gameplay, either way you're picking some form of horrible poison but at least in the PSP version you can dodge some of it unless you want to engage with the iceberg of despair that is that version's postgame.

I think I agree with the general sentiments expressed above, though I personally find the gameplay of the SNES/PS1 more interesting conceptually. It's just a shame that the levels don't make good use of them and tend to be quite uneven in their difficulty. But we'll get to that later.

Addendum:

Last time, I started comparing the script of the PSP remake to the PS1 port, covering the part where our protagonists mistook some Zenobians to be the foreign knights that burnt their town. Fortunately, they were willing to listen to them, so they were led to the protagonists' hideout.

Kachua: The Bacrum share our deficit...a deficit they've remedied by joining forces with Lodis.
Canopus: So Lodis sent them the Dark Knights Roslolian.

Note: Roslolian is Loslorien in this translation. Can't really complain about it, both of them are intended to be ridiculous names. Though, I still wonder what the original name was...

Warren: Roslolian is an order under the direct command of High Priest Saldian, Ruler of Lodis.

Note: Saldian is Sardian. I feel like the old name sounded more dignified here, especially since it's closer to Saladin, the famous Arab king who's known for having pushed the Crusaders out of much of the Holy Land after the Second Crusade.

Also, Warren is explicitly telling the gathering here that Lodis is a very religious empire, going by how the king is also the high priest. This is in fact corroborated by the other games, and is a neat detail to sneak in.

Warren: They are said to be the greatest of the sixteen orders, and the High Priest's favourite besides.
Warren: Yet he uses them not in open battle, but in shadows and secrecy.
Warren: They are his ears, and when there is need of it, his dagger.
Warren: No knights in shining armor, these. In word and deed, they are as dark as their name.

So, while Warren's spiel here about the Dark Knights still comes across as an unnecessary plot dump, in context of the conversation here, I do like his phrasing quite a bit more. It conveys the ominous power and role of the order much better than the original script.

Guildus: And these Dark Knights whatever-you-call-them are backing the Bacrum, neh?
Vice: So why are you come to our isles? Does Zenobia think to claim Valeria as her own?
Vice: Do Lodis and Zenobia mean to bring their wars to our shores!?
Kachua: (turning to Vice) Enough, Vice.
Lans: Your question deserves an answer, Vice. We are Zenobian, after all.
Lans: Yet we do not serve as Knights of Zenobia. We were banished. Cast out.
Guildus: We're outlaws. No place waiting for us back home, neh?
Canopus: We've come to find work - preferably of the well-paying variety.
Vice: I don't trust you, and I don't trust your story. This is our fight!
Kachua: Vice, please. Lord Knight, you must forgive our passion.

Vice and Kachua's dialogue here is noticeably less clunky than the original, and while some of Vice's desperation is lost, enough of their emotion is conveyed that it's not a big deal.

Lans: There is nothing to forgive. Your passion does you credit.
Lans: Tell me, what will you do now?
Reives: For one, we have to get Duke Ronway out of Amorika.

Note: Ronway is Ronwey and Amorika is Almorica. I can buy the latter, but the former name change makes little sense to me. I mean, Ronway was a pretty cohesive name, so swapping the "way" for "wey" doesn't make much sense.

Lans: Duke Ronway? He is your leader?
Vice: Not just us. He leads all the Walstanians.
Vice: The Gargastani hold him captive in their castle. They plan to execute him, if the rumors are to be believed.
Vice: We mean to stop them.
(Canopus swoops down the stairs)
Canopus: A Duke, is it? If his purse matches his title, there's coin to be had...
Canopus: A little rescue work might be just the thing. How about it, Lans? What say you?

So, I'm not sure I like how Canopus is characterized here. In the original he was the person sounding the most like a greedy mercenary fighting for money, to cover up for Lans being too noble in his behavior, and the other two knights and Warren not talking much. Here, he still cares about money, but the dialogue makes him sound like a posh diplomat trying to convince Lans that there's money to be had helping our protagonists, which can work, but sort of goes against the charade of them just being foreign mercenaries? You would expect a band of them to care about money way more than this.

(Kachua and Reives both turn to Canopus)

Vice: Look. I'm sorry for not trusting you. It's true that if we're to rescue the Duke, we're going to need help.
(The knights in the back get up)

Guildus: Then there's nothing to be gained jabbering on here, neh? To Amorika Castle!

That's a pretty spirited line there. I like it, definitely prefer it to the original.

Kachua: Wait! The castle is well defended.
Kachua: A fight there would mean our deaths - and yours, Lord Knight. And I...
Kachua: I've seen enough of fighting. Enough of death.

(Kachua lowers her head solemnly.)

I do like that they remind the audience here that Kachua is pragmatic about the whole thing. While she works to oppose the Dark Knights, she has seen the effects of a war beforehand, and doesn't want to pointlessly start another one. Of course, she's underestimating how strong the Zenobians are, but to be fair, none of the protagonists here seem to know much about them, outside of them being Zenobians.

Lans: What about you, Reives? Would you have our aid?

As before, here's the dialogue for if we refuse them.

Reives: No. This is our fight. I must decline your offer.
Lans: What if we told you we make for Amorika too-not to aid you, but to fight for our own purpose.
Lans: The arrow of the nobleman and the arrow of the hunter may find the same hare, though one shoots for sport and the other for his supper.
Lans: What say we work together, while such cooperation is to our mutual benefit?

Less funny, but a more persuasive argument to get the protagonists to join them. Though the example of the nobleman and the hunter shooting the same hare is a bit long winded.

Of course, we accept their help here.

Reives: Without your help, the Duke is as good as dead.
Lans: Then it's settled. We will prepare at once.

(All the Zenobians leave, and Vice joins them. Reives starts to leave, but is interrupted by Kachua.)

Kachua: Why do you not heed me, brother?
Kachua: I know how you must feel, but what of my feelings? I don't want to lose you.
Kachua: Our father is dead-a hard truth, but a truth all the same.
Kachua: In all the world, you are the only one bound to me by blood, brother. I couldn't bear to let you die.

Kachua's poshness does tone down the clinginess quite a bit here, which is mostly good, though it does mute one of her more noticeable characteristics quite a bit.

Kachua: Forgive me. I know my words will not sway you. Only promise me...
Kachua: Promise you'll never leave your sister.

(Vice reenters the room)

Vice: What's keeping you? Everyone's ready.

(Reives silently leaves. Vice turns to Kachua.)

Vice: You can't coddle him forever. He's no little boy anymore.
Kachua: (turning away from Vice) Do not speak to me of my brother. He does not share your lust for blood.
Vice: I have no love for war. But I'd sooner die on my feet than on my knees.
Kachua: You would die on the backs of others.
Vice: You were the one who brought them in here, Kachua!
Kachua: Because when I find a tool well-suited for a job, I use it.
Kachua: At least one of us has the sense to recognize an opportunity. You should thank me!
Vice: Feh. Is that how you see people? As tools? I'd have expected more of a sibyl.

(Vice leaves, and Kachua looks down solemnly)

Kachua: I only want to see an end of death.

I like that they injected a bit of wordplay here to give more weight to their arguments, as if they were poking at each other. It conveys the intent of the original scene pretty well, and arguably works even better than it.

Next time, I continue comparing the two scripts, as the Gargastani garrison gets a rude surprise from the Zenobian knights. See you then!

Addendum:

Last time, the Zenobians decided to storm Amorika castle to ostensibly help our protagonists and rescue Duke Ronway. Today, they do exactly that.

Bapalu is indeed called Bapal. I think shaving off the "u" just makes his name worse, since it sounds a lot less funny, and I do believe he was intended to have a somewhat humorous name, being a rather generic enemy character that gets killed quite quickly.

Bapalu: There's two thousand Goth on that one's head, boys! Half the purse to him what brings him down!

The misplaced sounding "what" aside, I do like those lines here. They are convincingly forceful, and really sell the idea that these people fighting here are motivated by whatever money they can get, which also fits the setting of a war torn island. Though, note the weird gendered dialogue here - men and women both fight in Ogre Battle's world, in almost all ranks of military command and in roughly similar numbers. So gendering the dialogue like this doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Zenobians again give a tutorial, but I'm not going to cover it much, since I'm only interested in comparing the scripts. I do have to note however that their tutorial dialogue here comes across as much more pretentious than in the SNES version, and nearly threw me off completely. Thankfully, the dialogue doesn't get this overwrought too often - this is one of the few places where it does.

Anyway, Bapalu gets two turns, and speaks some more on his second one:

Bapalu: One whisper of Ronway's execution, and out you come, bold as you please.
Bapalu: A rat can smell a trap, but not our rebels, eh? High time we were rid of your lot.

While a bit too posh, I do appreciate those insults he hurls at our protagonists. They are far snappier than the original dialogue, and work well as morale building material for his soldiers. Not to mention they don't feel as redundant in this script, since he doesn't mention this being a trap earlier.

Kachua and Vice also have some additional dialogue this time around, after Bapalu speaks.

Kachua: A trap, and we walked right into it.
Vice: Trap or no, we fight or we die!
Vice: I've never let a Gargastani get the better of me, and I don't mean to start today!
Reives: Focus, Vice! Our first duty is to save the Duke!
Vice: Don't lecture me on duty! Your only duty is to stay alive!
Kachua: You should not speak to Reives so! He was only trying to help!

I'm not sure what to make of this, on one hand most of the characterization here is on point, on the other it seems like a misplaced moment? I can see this kind of bickering occurring back in the hideout, or perhaps after the enemy corners them and forces them to surrender, but not right in the middle of a fight. Especially one where the Zenbioans have a pretty clear advantage over their enemy.

Moving on, Bapalu notices a bit later that our protagonists are accompanied by foreign mercenaries, and comments on it:

Bapalu: Wait...you're no Walstanians! I know a man from Lodis when I see one!

Some time later, Kachua starts speaking to Reives:

Kachua: Are you all right, Reives? You shouldn't let Vice get to you.
Reives: I'm fine, sister. Back to the battle!

Haha, I like that Reives acknowledged that this is no time for arguments and consolations. That is a decent touch, even though it doesn't quite make up for their dialogue earlier.

The fight continues, and Bapalu falls.

Bapalu: Looks like our luck...has turned...

With that, the Zenobians proceed to boldly march into the castle.

Canopus: Leave the heavy lifting to us, Reives. Cover our flank-that's all we ask.

Within the castle's inner hall, we run into a seemingly heavily armored knight, like last time:

Agares is Agres and Nybeth is Nybbas. These are fairly sensible name changes, I don't see much to complain about them. Though I will admit I found Nybbas funnier because of how casual it sounded, being a bit ill fitting for a lord of a castle and a powerful necromancer.

Agres: Listen well. We face the rogues who slew Bapalu and his men. Underestimate them and share Bapalu's fate!
Agres: Give these rebel swine a taste of Gargastani steel! Amorika shall never fall!

That's certainly a much better motivational speech than the one in the original, again filled with a lot of convincing force tempered by warnings of caution. Unfortunately for him and his soldiers, it won't matter much.

Agres notices soon that our protagonists have some foreign fighters among themselves, and comments on it:

Agres: Interlopers! Why do you meddle in our affairs?
Agres: Our struggle with the Walstanians goes back generations-it's no concern of yours.
Agres: Or do you seek to claim Valeria, as Lodis does? I will have your answer!
Lans: We are men without a country. We have lent them our swords because it suits us to do so.
Canopus: And we're looking for mercenary work, as it happens. Not hiring, by any chance?
Agres: And worry you'll leave for a bigger purse? We don't need outsiders to do our killing.
Canopus: He makes a good point. Let's rescue this Duke, collect our reward, and be done with it.
Agres: A craven who would choose lucre over loyalty deserves only one reward!

I like that conversation quite a bit more than the original. I find that the wordplay employed makes Agres look suitably dignified and loyal, as someone in his position would be expected to. While Lans' noble demeanor is toned down here, it's completely understandable considering the circumstances.

Unfortunately for Agres, he and his soldiers die without much fanfare.

Agres: My life...for Gargastan.

Definitely an improvement over slinging cheap insults with your last words.

And with that, the Zenobians are free to rescue Duke Ronway and hand over the castle to him. Join us next time, as they do exactly that, and then listen to him give credit to others!

Bapalu and Nybbas should have been a duo

Jeanne d'Bright wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:23 pm
Bapalu and Nybbas should have been a duo
Team them up with Zapan and you would have a jolly band of adventurers making their way through Valeria.

Addendum:

Alright, it's time to wrap up the comparison between scripts for now and resume gameplay of the PS1 version afterwards. Here goes!

Last time, the Zenobians effortlessly stormed Amorika Castle and made short work of its defenders. Today, they proceed to free Duke Ronway, make him lord of the castle, then await his speech at its meeting hall.

Ronway: Sweeter still that Walstanian youths came to my aid. Reives, was it?
Ronway: Doubtless you and your friends are a gift from the Great Father himself.
Ronway: The Walstanian boon is great, and our future bright!

I kind of love how thick he lays the praise out here, especially when this is the very first topic of his speech.

Reives: We are not alone in our loyalty. Upon word of your Grace's release, many Walstanians have left their haunts and hideaways for Amorika.
Ronway: And there is still time before the Gargastani come to remedy my freedom, though not long, I fear. We must regroup.

(Ronway turns to the Zenobians.)

Ronway: Now I must ask if the tale our guests have told us is, indeed, the truth.
Lans: Upon my sword, it is. We are outcasts from our land.
Ronway: I do not doubt your sword. It is the whiskers of your companion that give me pause.

That's a pretty funny line, though I somewhat doubt the wisdom of making fun of a powerful wizard's appearance, even if he's friendly to you.

Ronway: I hear a diviner matching his description was ever at the side of King Tristan when your New Zenobia came into being two years past.
Ronway: And that you, Sir Lans, were Captain of the Holy Knights.
Ronway: Is the Saint King so brazen as to cast out the very men who placed him upon the throne?

While I've never heard of the Zenobian king being referred to as the "Saint King" before this, he is correct to note that both characters were promoted into high positions in the royal court, canonically speaking. That he even knows exactly what positions they occupy makes him come across as very well read on matters of international politics.

Warren: I, too, have heard tell of this diviner, but I am not he.
Ronway: Lodis plagues us with the Dark Knights Roslolian. How do we know you are not some new menace visited upon Valeria?
Ronway: If New Zenobia does not seek to usurp, I would have your proof.

Oh, and now he's going to question them directly about their motives. Thankfully for the Zenobians, like last time, Kachua is here to stop him from asking too many questions.

Kachua: Your Grace, these holy knights risked their own lives to win your freedom.
Lans: A man can claim knighthood only when he serves a worthy lord. It is for such a man that we seek.
Ronway: I have your word then, and its proof shall be in your deeds.
Ronway: You sought a reward-you shall have it, and employment besides.
Ronway: I would have you train our Walstanian loyals as guards and soldiers here in Amorika.
Lans: As you wish.

(The Zenobians leave. Ronway turns to the three protagonists.)

Ronway: Now, Reives, your father was an abuna in Griate, was he not?

Note: Abuna is a title granted to the archbishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. A rather odd thing to reference here, but hey, they already made Kachua a sibyl so...
Griate is called Golyat, presumably to create an allusion to "Goliath"? Not sure why, there's nothing remarkable about the town outside of it being the protagonists' home town. Hell, it will lose relevance in about a few scenes as the narrative moves onward.

Ronway: I met him myself, once. A wise man, Abuna Plancy.

Note: Plancy is Prancet in this translation. A pretty understandable change, if considerably less funny.

Ronway: What happened in Griate was...a tragedy.

And now he's laying deep onto the sympathy angle to sell his plans to the protagonists. Alright, pretty solid plan there.

Kachua: Please, your grace, you must avenge our father-no-all the people of Griate.
Ronway: Yet the enemy before us is Gargastan. They must come first.
Ronway: And for that, I will need knights. Knights...such as yourselves. Will you join my table at Amorika?
Vice: Us? Knights!?
Ronway: As young heroes of Walstania, you will serve as a shining example to your clansmen.
Ronway: I would have you become knights in my direct service. You will be the spear that strikes swift and true.
Ronway: Well, what say you?

He's really going all out in selling his plan and his narrative, isn't he?

Vice: O-Of course. I mean, as your wish, your Grace!
Vice: I know Reives's with me on this.
Ronway: Excellent.
Ronway: Now, if you are to be a knightly order, you will require a name.

We get 12 characters this time, which is better, but still not enough for a good name. I call it "Young Walsta", this time using its full form.

Ronway: The order of Young Walsta? Yes...A fine name. You'll go far, I'm certain.
Ronway: I have much for you to do. Your first task takes you to the town of Krizar, to the southwest.

Note: Krizar is called Krysaro. I find this a rather odd and needless change, especially since the new name is noticeably harder to parse.

Ronway: The Captain of my knights, Sir Leonard, has gone there in pursuit of the former overseer of this castle, a necromancer called Nybbas.

Note: Leonard is called Leonar. Much like the case with Bapalu, I think snapping out the last letter like that makes the name markedly worse - it sounds far more dignified with the "d" ending it.

Ronway: Truth be told, he's having a harder time of it than was expected.
Ronway: You'll be going to Krizar to aid him. Understood?
Ronway: Before you leave, you'll want to fill your ranks with soldiers from Amorika and purchase such gear as you'll require.
Ronway: I expect you have little in way of coin, so I'm giving you 30,000 Goth from the treasury.

Wow, he's even more generous than in the PS1 version!

Ronway: And...allow me to appoint a few of my own knights to serve under you. Leave as soon as you're ready.

(Vice gets up.)

Vice: You can count on us, your Grace. We won't let you down.
Ronway: Then may victory and glory await you, young heroes of Walstania.

So, overall that scene wasn't rewritten much, which is understandable. The original scene already mostly conveyed what it wanted to. What was added and altered here mostly ended up making the dialogue flow a bit better and more firmly depict Ronway as a leader capable of both making up and selling narratives to people, especially his own followers. Overall, those are good, though they do come at a slight cost of a longer script.

Reives: No, it is I who should thank you.
Lans: So you're off to aid one of the Duke's men. I regret we cannot join you.
Lans: Above all else, stay alive.
Lans: Win or lose, while there's life, there's hope.

(Reives nods.)

Reives: I'll try to remember that.
Canopus: Best not forget. The dead get no second chances.
Reives: If death were our aim, there are swifter ways to go about it than soldiery.

So you might've noticed that all references to training got omitted here, with the Zenobians instead stressing on our safety. That's because you can no longer train using just your own units. And this is honestly a pretty valid angle to take, considering how little experience the three protagonists have with battles.

Lans: True enough. Still, do not needlessly seek out danger. Enough will find you as it is.
Reives: Of course.

(The Zenobians depart into the castle. Reives glances at the woman standing on top of the steps, and she moves to address the protagonists.

Ravness: You are the heroes of Griate, are you not? I must thank you for saving his Grace the Duke.
Ravness: Indeed, accept my thanks on behalf of us all.

Meet Ravness. She's a character added entirely within the PSP remake, and likely the only such one. As for her relevance to the plot, well, it'll become quite clear later.

Reives: And you are...?
Ravness: Ravness Loxaerion, a knight in service of the Duke.
Ravness: I would ride to Leonard's aid myself, but his grace has other need of me. I fear the task falls to you.
Vice: No need of fear, friend. We took back this castle, didn't we?

Umm...is Vice not aware of how exactly that assault went down?

Ravness: In a manner of speaking, I suppose.
Vice: And what "manner" would that be?
Kachua: (turning to Vice) She and her fellow knights drew off the garrison defending the castle, else we would not have succeeded.

I'm not sure I buy this retcon. I mean, there was a pretty substantial force still when the Zenobians attacked.

Reives: If it were not for the sacrifice of others, we would be no heroes of Griate now.
Ravness: Make no mistake, I have high hopes for you.
Ravness: We must unite the people behind us if we are to put an end to this endless war.
Ravness: Word of your heroics emboldens them.
Vice: Then you hold us up as heroes to serve some stratagem, is that it?

I mean, I do expect Vice to be the one to make such assumptions, but it still seems odd. Did he get that carried away by Ronway's narrative, or what?

Ravness: If you do not like it, give truth to the lie. Write your own fate on the battlefield.

(Ravness proceeds to leave. The protagonists get together, and Reives interrupts her halfway through.)

Reives: May fate smile on us both, Dame Ravness.

Note: Dame is an old word that refers to women of high stature. Which makes obvious sense here.

Ravness: His Grace provided you with war funds, yes? Remember, they do no good sitting in your coffers.
Ravness: Arms, spells, provisons...even a single magicked ring can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

I'm not sure we needed a shop tutorial here? It should be pretty obvious that buying things from shops is usually good.

(Reives nods. Ravness leaves the castle.)

Kachua: She thinks highly of herself. I pray we are not near when she falls from such height!

(Vice and Reives turn to look at her, surprised.)

So yeah, that exchange there pretty much summed up her entire character. She's well meaning, very straightforward, and a bit arrogant. I wish they didn't need to retcon how the assault at Amorika went down, nor make Vice needlessly suspicious of her, but what's present works for its purpose overall.

We get five units to join us, and most of them come sporting a class besides the starter Warrior/Amazon already. This is because classes are handled very differently in this - characters automatically get assigned the stats they would have if they were using their class for all of their levels. Indeed, now only class levels, weapon levels and element augment levels exist - characters no longer gain levels for themselves. Which seems like a decent system, except the way these are implemented cause lots of issues later on; for instance, quite a few "advanced" classes will start at level 1 and need to be grinded hard before being usable on the battlefield.

That bit of a tangent aside, we're now on the overworld, and free to march onto Krizar through Tanmas Hill. And next time, I'll finally return to the PS1 version! So look forward to that!

From what I've been able to gather, much of the changes the PSP localization applies to religious terminology insofar as it applies to the (presumably) dominant faith in Valeria exists to distinguish it from the more Roman Catholic-flavored faith that Lodis practices by attempting to give it a more Orthodox/older local tradition flavor. Granted, the approach seems to have been "well as long as it SOUNDS different" so it looks a bit weird in practice but considering that the two seemingly don't have that much to do with each other apart from being centered around the same god, it strikes me as mostly fine.

Classmarks... pretty much caused as many problems as it solved at best but the worst aspect of it was compounded by the idiotic descision to give gear a level requirement which is just ridiculous. I'd still take it over the original's rock throwing sessions, but it's a pretty bleak choice to be making nonetheless.

Yeah, the level requirements on equipment is way too restrictive, especially since many weapons are locked out based on current class too in the PSP version. It means that if you picked the "wrong" weapon class to level, guess what? You've got to pick and grind either another weapon class to make the character competent, or grind another character class that can use the weapon class well. Enjoy grinding after you've grinded up!

Last time, we finally got our own battalion to march onto Krizar! Today, we start doing that, first approaching Tanmas Hill.

Well, actually first we'll buy 4 Cure herbs, and keep them around as spares. As you can see, most stuff we buy now is pretty inexpensive.

Onto the battle itself!

As you might notice, we can deploy upto 10 people, and there's really no reason to not deploy all 10 in most missions. Also, we don't get to look at the map before deploying, which is more than a little bothersome. The prequel, Knight of Lodis, thankfully fixes this. But for now, just know that I'll likely be reloading a few maps if it turns out my deployment of forces wasn't favorable.

Also, guests are placed separately, and can't be deployed from here. Note that since this screen is used to deploy for both regular missions and training, guests don't get to train up. This isn't a problem now, but will become glaringly noticeable a few missions later...

Oruba: Walstanian Rebels in this area.
Oruba: I bet you guys came here to help the fools that preceded you. Well, it's not going to happen.
(The scene moves to Denim's side, and we see Canopus fly in.)
Canopus: I don't feel right leaving you guys. I will stay with you.
(Canopus turns to the enemy side.)
Canopus: Whoever wants to end up as a dead carcass can challenge me!!

And with that bit of slinging dares out of the way, the map begins!

For this map, as with most maps, our goal is to kill the leader. Notice his level, and compare it to the levels on every other unit in this battle. It will become quite important later.

Oruba moves first, and Canopus moves forward shortly afterwards. The enemies around him take advantage of this and start trying to focus fire on him, but honestly, this works out fine as he takes little damage from them, and can effectively distract them from our units.

I get to move Denim first. He starts by moving to the left, in the hopes of setting up a flanking maneuver. Donna moves close to Denim and takes potshots at a soldier who was badly hurt by Canopus. She misses, but she'll get a turn later. Tess begins to form a right flank and takes potshots on another soldier on that side, but misses.

I think you get the idea, let's fast forward a bit.

Here's our position after both flanks have been formed. All that's left to do here for now is to move the melee fighters behind the lines to forward positions, cautiously.

On the enemy and guest turns, Oruba burns Denim a bit, Canopus finishes off an enemy soldier he weakened, and Denim gets focus fired on a bit much. Losing him means losing the mission, so I quickly pull him back and have him use his herb. The melee units engage the enemy melee, focusing on weakened targets and taking out two of them. Two of them get battered in turn, so I have one retreat and the other healed by a herb, since his turn would come up too late for him to get to safety. The archer units(read: units equipped with bows) focus on the closest target available, and hit their shots. Here's our position after that:

The CPU Interrupt on top indicates that an AI turn has been interrupted, you can do that by hitting Circle before an AI controlled unit takes their turn. They resume taking it as normal once you exit the interrupt screen, so it's mostly just to take a quick look or pause the game when other units are taking turns. As for the darker screen, that's the random weather kicking in. It started raining halfway into the mission. Yes, there is a weather system in this game, but it's not too important outside of a few specific situations, so just consider it pretty eye candy for now.

The enemy at this point is mostly defeated, so I start boldly advancing with my units, while still taking care to retreat wounded units to the rear. My archer units take aim and focus fire on the last few units. The enemy is reduced to one heavily damaged archer, who falls to Vice shortly afterwards, and Oruba. Here's our position after that:

Here's where our problems start. Remember the wizard and how his level compared to other units? Well...umm:

Yeah. That's the difference levels make, even while fighting a wizard with swords up close. But thankfully, the wizard by himself isn't likely to kill anyone, as long as our units don't get too caught up chasing him down without enough health. They whittle him down, with ample help from Canopus and Vice, and eventually he falls.

Oruba: I can't die...here...

And Canopus joins us for real! Canopus is a great unit, mainly because he can fly and has decent bulk, unlike most flying units in this game.

Also, remember what I said about Soldier and Amazon growth? This is Benedict at level 2:

This is him after gaining a level, post mission:

Notice that every stat except LUK and MOVE have gone up by 4-6 points. Those are, generally speaking, pretty good stat growths in this game. There's no harm in being a Soldier or Amazon if your character doesn't qualify for the class you want them to adopt!

Well, that's Tanmas Hill out of the way. It's a decent first mission overall, if not particularly noteworthy. It gets you acquainted with the basics in a reasonably safe environment, providing just enough hazards to make you take note and adjust your plans accordingly. Next time, we actually visit Krizar for real, and find both new friends and enemies! We also get to see what the undead look like in this game, so stay tuned.

Oh hey, our first real fight. There's not a lot to say about it other than Orba (I'll probably just reflexively use the PSP localization names in my own commentary out of habit) being there to welcome you to a world where Team Xenobia isn't around to carry you, but it still probably serves as a good enough excuse to provide some miscellaneous commentary on the game's mechanics.

Levelling Up: Not a whole lot to say about this one, stat gains are semi-random depending on a unit's class and have a +/-1 margin of randomization, so while it's possible to get really unlucky and have to linger in Soldier/Amazon for a level longer than you'd want it's probably never going to be more than just one level, and since Soldier/Amazon have balanced stat gains (except for VIT which is slightly lower) it's not as though any particular class is more or less likely to be hurt by it.

I'd say more about Soldier/Amazons but right now there's nothing to compare them to other than Canopus, and that's probably one of the shortest comparisons ever, unlike the PSP remake, though suffice to say they do suffer from the typical generalist class problems.

Weather: Weather imapcts fighting... slightly, but in a way that's completely dependent on alignment and Neutral characters just plain ignore, and at these numbers you'd be hard pressed to notice even the slightest difference since weather only shifts gradually over the course of a fight. The tl;dr of it is that Lawful characters fight better in clear weather and Chaotic characters fight better in bad weather, which from what I recall generally favors the former slightly since you're more likely to encounter good weather than bad, and obviously this part of it doesn't matter indoors.

There's also weather tolerance, but despite what the name implies it doesn't actually have anything to do with weather and is just an always on bonus. If anyone was wondering though, it's one of the two actual differences between Soldiers and Amazons.

Interesting bit about weather tolerance, didn't know that was a thing! :o How did you learn of it?

There's a BMG on GFAQs that was put up roughly around the time when I played the PSX version that breaks down how the more esoteric parts of the system factor into things, along with some other sites which are sadly now dead.
Tactics Ogre BMG wrote:Wt: Weather tolerance of class. Although the Warren Report says this
is based on weather, it really always applies, even in doors. Can
be 0 +2, or +4.
The 0/+2/+4, along with all the other miscellaneous dregs of the combat system, is applied to the part of the damage formula that determines how much a characters offensive and defensive stats are actually worth, but it's added to a base of 60 for offense and 40 for defense, so it's not that big on its own. The majority of human classes have +2, flyers like Canopus have 0, and female physical classes (among others) have +4, which, granted, is probably the least significant reason as to why a certain class is grossly overpowered, but it's still a contributing factor however slight it may be.

It's now time to advance into Krizar.

Presance: Undead. How dare they treat a dead soul like this...
Presance: I will send these dead souls to the eternal darkness...Souls of the Undead, I command you to fall!

Presance: Hang in there, Leonard! Hang in there until our reinforcements arrive.
(To his right, sounds of people running into position can be heard. He looks, and the camera pans to reveal Reives' team!)
Presance: ...AH! Look over there, the Liberation Army is here. Praise the Gods.
(The camera pans to show a witch and her entourage Southward.)

Mordoba: in the house.
Mordoba: It is the sleep of death.
Mordoba: When they wake up, they will turn into the Undead.
Mordoba: We will fight until our lord Nybbas returns. Do not allow them to go any further!

As you can likely tell, our mission here is to kill Mordoba. She's a witch, which, contrary to expectations, is not the female counterpart to the wizard. Rather, they are support casters, having a whole bevy of spells to indirectly affect units, friendly and unfriendly, as well as alter the battlefield itself(to a limited degree).

On the enemy turns, a ghost targets Presance with Incubus and puts him to sleep. Ghosts are basically undead teleporting wizards, and Incubus is a low damage darkness spell that can put targets to sleep. Most spells will either do status effects or damage, Incubus belongs to a relatively small family of spells which do both. Sleep stops a unit from taking any actions until they recover, and can break upon taking damage, like in most RPGs.

On the player turns, I form a line with my melee units and archer units, trying to take potshots at a skeleton below with them. The melee units naturally go front, while the archer units sit behind them. I send a small squad of two melee fighters down a side path to Denim's left. Here's my positions afterwards:

The enemy keeps advancing, and one of the skeletons makes contact with Canopus, who advances first among my units since he's level 3 and quite fast. Unfortunately, Canopus fails to do any damage to him. I advance with my melee units still forming lines and covering the main road, but accidentally make a mistake and send Reives to engage the skeleton. This is a bad choice, he's only level 1. I have him toss a stone to prevent eating a strong counterattack, then continue to take potshots at it with my archer units, who stay behind and on elevated ground. The melee units on the side path continue to advance. Here's my positions afterwards:

The enemy advances further, and the witch's retinue comes pretty close now. One of her soldiers manages to inflict a nasty archer wound on Reives, and Mordoba stuns the newly awakened Presance. Stun is similar to Sleep, but doesn't randomly get cleared upon being attacked. Vice takes out the skeleton, which gives me an opportunity to demonstrate what makes undead unique.

They don't die after hitting 0 HP, instead they crumple and lie dormant for a while. Once enough time has passed, they revive with full health. Thus, they are great for battles of attrition. Of course, as Presance demonstrated earlier, they are killed permanently by exorcism, and are generally quite vulnerable to it. Right now, we've just encountered skeletons and ghosts, with the former being the melee counterpart to ghosts; however, rest assured that more types of undead will show up later on.

Anyway, on the player turns I get Reives to retreat, make my melee units surround the enemy, and use Canopus and my archer units to kill one of the soldiers off. Here's my position afterwards:

The skeleton revives, and the rest of the witch's entourage begins to engage my units. My melee units on the side road take the hits, but deal a decent amount of hurt in return. Reives is healed, and manages to avoid catching the attention of anyone else. After some more attacks from my archer units, another of the witch's entourage falls, and Reives moves to heal up one of the melee units who got especially badly hurt in the fight. The skeleton is put down again, and more of my units advance. Here's my position afterwards:

Presance regains control and starts exorcising the skeletons and ghosts around. Most of my units advance, but some remain since the skeleton revives again. It gives them some good XP, so it's not too bad, and the situation there is under control with Presance being active anyway. Here's my position afterwards:

At this point the mission is effectively over, so I just keep advancing my units and plinking at Mordoba, while keeping some units behind to contain the skeleton. She uses up a healing item, and panics when at low health:

Mordoba: Where is our lord Nybbas!
Mordoba: Is he not back yet!?

Unfortunately, she does take out Sylvia, one of my melee Amazons. Fortunately, such losses shouldn't be too common, and Tactics Ogre does give quite a few units throughout the course of the game. I continue advancing with my units, and Vice finishes her off.

Mordoba: Lord Nybbas...have you abandoned me...?

After the mission ends, we cut to a dingy room somewhere, where a knight addresses us:

Leonard: rescue, Reives.
Leonard: (turning to Presance) Sorry to make you worry, Presance.
Leonard: I was attacked by surprise.
Leonard: I have lost the valiant warriors Duke Ronway gave me to command. I cannot face him...
Presance: It is still fortunate that we did not lose you, Leonard.
Leonard: Nybbas does not fear the Gods...
Leonard: Curse him!
Presance: Ah, I heard Nybbas is hiding in an abandoned fort close by.
Presance: He abandoned Amorika and never went back to Coritani. I don't know what he's up to...
Leonard: Whatever he is up to, we have to kill him. Or else I can never face Duke Ronway again...
Presance: Can't go directly to the fort with your army? I think we should go back to the castle at once.
Leonard: I would if we were the only troops left. But now we have new friends.
Leonard: But there is no guarantee that Amorika will be safe.
(A moment of silence passes. Leonard turns to Reives.)
Leonard: I owe my life to Reives.
Leonard: So this is your call...
(Presance turns to Reives.)
Presance: That's a good idea, to the fort or back to the castle? Reives, tell us what you think.
Leonard: Voltel, Sara, do you agree?
Presance: We will obey your command.
Presance: We will risk our lives for you.

Yep, that's the situation. Now, recall that our objective was only to help Leonard by relieving him in Krizar. Chasing behind Nybbas is completely optional, though it does let us fight more undead and potentially gain more experience. However, it has no impact on the plot whatsoever. I'll likely show it off just for curiosity's sake, but won't be covering it in too much detail.

Yep, like I said, Tactics Ogre gives quite a few units as you progress through it. Case in point: Sara and Voltel, two units in specialized classes and at level 5, join up after this. As does Presance, at level 4 and with his spells equipped. They will certainly prove to be very useful in Reives' adventures!

Reives' group is definitely coming along nicely now. Two of the Amazons gained levels from the last mission, so they, along with the level 3 Soldier, are going to be grown to hopefully be able to change class someday. Leonard has also joined us, but as a guest. As for Sara, Voltel, and Presance's classes - they are Archer, Knight and Exorcist, respectively. Later on, when I will be able to change classes, I will cover them in more detail. But for now, suffice to say that they fit the roles they imply; Archers are precise ranged attackers, Knights are tough but slow melee units, and Exorcists are healers who can also exorcise the undead.

Well, that's enough for now. Join me next time, as I show off the fort Nybbas is holed up in, then return back to Ronway to discuss further plans.

Today, we move on to face Nybbas in Fort Kadoriga. But, before we do that, I decide that it's prudent to get everyone I can to level 4, minimum.

To accomplish this, I put the new, high level units in one team, and seven others in another. I then have them go at each other in training, making sure not to attack much with the high level units. With them positioning themselves to face away from the blue team, and with roughly 15 XP per hit, which is of course far higher for lower level characters, being 40 XP at level 1 and 25 XP at level 2, it doesn't take much time to level them up. Presance keeps healing them to serve as effective training dummies.

Here's Canopus after a level. As you can see, he has very sturdy growths in Strength, Agility, and oddly, Intelligence, gaining 6-8 points in them. There's no real penalty for these, either; he gains the same amount as the Amazons and Soldiers do for the rest of the stats.

When everyone in the blue team hits level 4, I quit training, resupply at the town, and move on!

Nybbas: that you made it this far. So, Mordoba is dead.
Nybbas: Too bad. She was very helpful in my research and other things too...

Err, care to elaborate? That came out a little wrong.

Nybbas: But why don't you forgive me. If you want me to apologize, I will do so.
Nybbas: I am of Gargastani blood. But I don't care who rules this island, I don't even care who wins.
Nybbas: So, why don't you let me go? You don't have to waste your time.

Going to be cheeky today, huh? Well, he is sincere at least.

I see no point in instigating him, so let's try a peaceful approach.

Reives: Relax, I have no will to kill a weakling like you. But I will not set a criminal free, either.
Reives: If you want to repay your dishonorable actions, then I will bring you to Amorika Castle.

Err, is that what you consider peaceful? I don't think insulting a powerful necromancer is a great way to go about placating him. Then again, I somewhat doubt that such a character would be willing to be a prisoner, nor would Leonard and Presance be willing to tolerate him being alive.

Nybbas: Good boy! I like you.
Nybbas: You lead your people well...
Nybbas: But I don't trust you. I know others are dying to kill me.
Nybbas: Stupid fool...I shall call demons from the very depths of Hell to destroy you!

Unsurprisingly, Reives' shoddy negotiating didn't work out. Quite curious how quickly he decided to go hostile though.

(Nybbas proceeds to summon a bunch of ghosts and skeletons.)

Nybbas: Now show me! Show me your deep attachment to life! Ha ha ha...

So, as you can tell, Nybbas is our target, and he's in another magical class, the Necromancer. They are largely similar to Wizards, but have the ability to summon additional units as their troops dwindle. Generally speaking, they aren't too tough to fight, and go down quickly to focused pressure, but can get out of hand if you let the battle drag on for too long.

Anyway, for this battle, there's not much to say. The enemy starts higher up, but they don't have the numbers to do much, and most of his force being undead also makes them rather vulnerable, considering we have an exorcist now. Oh, and Leonard also shows up, alongside Vice and Kachua, so there's little risk of anything going wrong. Unless you got a seriously underleveled party in here, of course.

Of course, it also doesn't help that Nybbas' entourage behaves aggressively, abandoning what terrain advantages they do have to charge down and expose themselves to Reives' forces. About the only thing of interest that happens is Donna becoming the center of attention for a while and receiving the brunt of enemy fire.

Of course, a single herb was enough to sort that out.

Leonard, Canopus, and a Soldier(sorry, didn't catch his name before the final blow) corner Nybbas, and finish him off.

Nybbas: You have indeed overcome your weak mind. You have made great progress.
Nybbas: But I cannot allow myself to die here.
Nybbas: My research is more important than this.
Nybbas: Reives, is it not? I shall remember your name. If you live, we shall meet again.
Nybbas: I will show you the progress of my research then.
Nybbas: Farewell...

(Nybbas transforms into a crow and flies off.)

And here's why this mission doesn't matter for the story - Nybbas faces little in terms of consequences, even if you choose to go pursue him. However, he's not done yet, and depending on what we pick in the future, he will show up again.

After we head back to Amorika, Ronway calls us for another meeting, with Lans and Leonard present.

Ronway: Leonard. I am very pleased with your work.
Ronway: Now, your next duty is to go to Fiduc Castle in Bacrum. I want you to go there with Leonard.
Reives: Fiduc Castle! That is the castle where the Roslolian Knights are stationed...
Reives: Why there!?
Ronway: I want to sign a non-intervention treaty with them before we begin fighting with the Gargastanis.
Ronway: Not with Bacrum but with the Dark Knights. I can't afford having Bacrum attacking us from behind.

Seems straightforward enough. Wonder how enthusiastic the Dark Knights would be about the offer though. Or if Reives' party here really is the best choice for negotiating with them.

Kachua: But Duke Ronway, Bacrum is the cause of this disaster. They started this whole mess.
Kachua: And a Roslolian Knight killed our parents.
Kachua: Had they not supported Bacrum, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Case in point. The protagonists clearly still have some deep wounds over their town being stormed and their father being kidnapped, potentially killed.

Ronway: Kachua. Believe me, I feel the same way as you do. But think about it.
Ronway: Do you think we can win with our troops?
Ronway: The Roslolians are an unbeatable enemy.
Ronway: That is why it is critical for us to sign a treaty with the Kingdom of Lodis, that we will not be their enemy.

Cold pragmatism against an outburst of emotion? I suppose that can work, given that what's being discussed here is a delicate political matter and so keeping the facts clear is important.

Vice: Are you suggesting that we surrender to Lodis?
Ronway: Watch your mouth, Vice.

Hah. Good thing someone besides Kachua chided Vice for his lack of tact.

Ronway: I have no intention of selling out to the Kingdom of Lodis.
Ronway: By keeping the Dark Knights out of the way, the Gargastanis will not dare pursue the war.
Ronway: After we kill Barbatos, we will hit Bacrum.
Ronway: So what do you think, Holy Knights? I hope the Zenobian King is not wanting Valeria.

Well, that's a pretty tall promise, but you do have to deal with the Gargastanis first. Also, why did you change the topic all of a sudden?

Ronway: If so, I am sure your king will sign a non-intervention treaty with us...
Ronway: Pardon me, I forgot that you are no longer with the Kingdom.
Lans:...

Sounds like the whole thing was a pointless diversion. I mean, we know that Ronway is suspicious of the Zenobians, but he should know he isn't in a position to really get answers from them, considering how dependant he is on them right now.

Ronway: Now, go to Fiduc with Leonard.
Ronway: Oh, and I shall give you 10,000 Goth for this duty. Do not forget to buy better equipment.

Something's definitely up; why send Reives' party to negotiate? Ronway knows very well that they hold a grudge against Bacrum and the Dark Knights; is this supposed to be his way of testing them? Or does he not have anyone else to accompany Leonard's forces? But even then, he could very well have Leonard handle the negotiations on his own. This is a peculiar plot point, and one which doesn't necessarily get resolved depending on what choices we make.

Next time, we move towards Bacrum to negotiate with the Dark Knights. But before that, I'll look through some in game news and compare this portion of the script to the PSP remake. See you all then!

Suffice to say the Nybbeth fight is a bit rougher in the PSP version if you tackle it at this point, since you don't have Leonar as a guest and you can't instantly delete undead with Excorism. Plus the weather and generally bad earlygame accuracy doesn't do you any favors.

Anyways, given the overall situation of Walister territory being presently occupied by the significantly larger Galgastani forces and the fact that Leonar needed to be bailed out earlier, it'd make sense that Duke WrongwayRonwey would want him to be escorted, Denam and co. are some of the closest people at hand, and he does seem to be under the impression that there's more to the Xenobians being here than they're letting on. Granted, it also make sense that he'd also want to see how high you'd jump when he tells you to so there is that aspect to it.

Addendum:

Let's check the Warren' Report to see the latest news around Valeria!

"Fall of Amorika" describes its capture by Reives' party, naturally. It also presents the narrative supplied by Ronway, where the capture is mostly credited to our protagonists and the Zenobians don't even get a mention. "Birth of the hero" tells a similar story, but explicitly identifies Reives as a hero celebrated by the people. "Krizar's occupied" describes its capture by Walstanian troops, and mentions further that it was a dead town only filled with undead while captured. It then confidently states that the town will spring back to life soon.

"The Coritani Massacre" talks about an anti government rally in Coritani protesting the fall of Amorika Castle, which was violently dispersed by the Gargastani army. "Assassin Identified" mentions the attackers of Bacrum's 2nd anniversary celebrations being captured, stating that they belong to the "Valeria Liberation Front". Apparently, it's a right wing group that believes strongly in King Dolgare's policies of ethnic unity. And no, it's not what you think. "Nybbas missing" simply states that he, well, went missing.

Alright, time to compare the script of the last few scenes with the PSP version!

I think I actually like Orba as a wizard name over Oruba, mainly because of the "Orb" in the name. I will still refer to him as the latter however, just to be consistent.

Oruba: Reinforcements for their kinsmen we have pinned down in Krizar, I reckon. We can't let them pass.
Oruba: Make peace with the light, Walstanian swine! Today you die!
(The scene shifts to Denim's side, as Canopus flies in.)
Canopus: You looked a lonely lot. Thought I might join you.
(Canopus turns to the enemy side.)
Canopus: I am Canopus. Step forward and meet your fate, dogs!

There's not much to talk about here, this exchange is fairly similar in feel to the original scene, only everyone talking is more posh. Though, I do like Oruba confirming the news of Amorika falling, it shows that there are in fact characters who don't take the news at face value and seek to find the truth out themselves, which is rather reasonable to do when they are in a middle of a civil war with different factions trying to justify their conflicts and demands, or spinning their own narratives.

A few turns into the fight, Vice raises some objections to Canopus:

Canopus: Stubborn as ever, eh? How did one so young grow so thick of skull?
Vice: Thick? I'll give you thick!
(Vice hurls a stone swiftly at Canopus.)
Canopus: Ow! Not the wings!
Kachua: Vice, control yourself!

I don't think I care much for this bit, sure Vice is quite suspicious of the Zenobians and likely doesn't want Canopus usurping the accomplishments of their troops or interfering in their actions, but this just makes him come across as rather dumb, and I don't see his character being that way.

A few more turns afterwards, Reives comments:

Vice: What's the matter? Lose your nerve?
Vice: Or has the nagging of your pacifist sister unmanned you? Always hiding behind her skirts.
Canopus: (turning to Vice) Thick of skull and a bully besides.
Vice: That's enough squaking out of you, bird-man!
(Vice hurls another stone at Canopus.)
Canopus: Better a bird than a brute!
(Canopus hurls a stone at Vice.)
Kachua: You're not men, you're children!

I don't care for this either, Reives shouldn't have any reason to doubt his mission as of now, nor do I see any point in making Vice look ruthlessly rude. While he's supposed to come across as rude in the story, that's supposed to stem from his desperation at how rough the Walstanians have been treated of late, not from Reives randomly doubting the cause he believes firmly in just because.

Additionally, there's some tutorial dialogue that Canopus and Kachua speak out, but it is of little interest here.

Anyway, the fight itself is for the most part rather easy, being the introductory fight of the game. Of note here is that unlike in the original game, Oruba is actually quite vulnerable himself, because he's only level 2. He falls without much trouble.

Oruba: No place to die, this...

On to Krizar!

"Donnalto" here is Presance's first name. It was "Donald" in the original. Both are a pretty blatant reference to Donald Pleasence, a famous horror and thriller movie actor. Though, he usually played the antagonistic roles in them.

Presance: Sleep, souls. Embrace the waiting ever-world!
(Presance attempts to exorcise a skeleton, but it fails. He is silent for a moment.)
Presance: Impossible! My exorcism has failed!?
Presance: Perhaps the corpses must be stilled before the soul can be put to rest...

This is a rather cheeky reference to a mechanical change, but basically, Exorcism requires the target to be "dead" to work on it. This is a rather sharp nerf to it, and as such, undead tend to be pretty tricky to deal with compared to the original.

Presance: I've forgotten much in the fifteen years since I last faced the undead. Ah, but listen to me, making excuses.
Presance: Patience, Leonard. We need only wait for reinforcements.
(Presance hears something, and looks to the map's right. The scene shifts and shows Reives and his troops stationed there.)
Presance: There, our liberators! Great Father smile upon us this day.
(The scene shifts downward to reveal a witch and her entourage.)

So, I like Moldova as a name, even though I prefer the original because it sounded more sinister, but "Necroprentice", really? There couldn't be a better name for a student of necromancy?

Mordoba: And no common sleep; they descend the sepulchral stairs toward death.
Mordoba: When they wake, it will be as unliving horrors!
Mordoba: (turning to her entourage) We only need hold until Master Nybbas' return. Give them not an inch, and show them no quarter!

There's not really much to comment on here either; besides the talk about Exorcism, the dialogue here conveys mostly the same feel as the original, with more poshness. For the most part, the poshness works with these characters and Oruba though, given that they're supposed to be learned clerics or wizards knowing a lot about their fields. Mordoba's dialogue borders being overwrought, but mostly works fine for its purpose.

This map is where things get interesting, as the differences in gameplay between the PSP and PS1 version become pronounced. I already talked about the change to Exorcism; in addition, the witch's retinue has two archers, and the witch herself is not a Witch but a Necromancer, with the ability to cast damage and status spells, and (in later maps) revive the undead. It ends up being a bit of a slog, especially since Presance gets distracted trying to heal injuries instead of exorcising the undead, but eventually I pull through.

When Mordoba is hurt, she panics:

Mordoba: Where is Master Nybbas? What's keeping him!?

And she eventually dies, thanks to Reives himself breaking past the enemies and attacking her. Much as the leader of the last map, she doesn't have a level advantage, and is quite vulnerable in melee combat.

Mordoba: Master...Nybbas! Even in death would I have...served you.

That's a rather ominous line to utter, especially if it's your last one.

We again cut to a dingy room somewhere, where Leonard addresses us:

Leonard: And my apologies to you, Abuna. Such is our reward for striking blind.
Leonard: Already I have lost too many of the Duke's men. I know not how I shall face him.
Presance: I am thankful that you, at least, still live. The Great Father favors us.
Leonard: As he is surely displeased by the trespasses of this Nybbas: a sorcerer of the foulest sort.
Presance: Yes, Nybbas! He lies hidden in a rotting fastness beyond the town.

Seriously? Why not just say he's in a ruined fortress?

Presance: Odd. With his men left at Amorika, I'd have thought him bound for Coritani...

Note: Coritani is Coritanae. A fairly minor change that affects little about how the name is perceived.

Presance: What could he be scheming?
Leonard: I want his head, whatever it may be plotting. I will not return to the Duke empty-handed.
Presance: You mean to take the fastness with these numbers? Should we not withdraw and regroup?

Again, what's with the use of "fastness"? And yes, I know it's an alternate name for a fortified or remote location, but it's rather odd to use it in this context still.

Leonard: Were it only myself and the remnants of my men, I would find retreat more palatable. But do not forget our new allies.
Presance: I have not. Yet be mindful of the Gargastani threat. Why, they might attack Amorika at any moment.
Leonard: As I see it, we would not have the luxury of choice were it not for the heroes of Griate.
Presance: (nods) Yes, yes, of course. Advance or retreat, the decision is rightfully Reives'.
Leonard: Voltare, Sara, I know you'll not object.

If you remembered my last posts covering this scene in the original well, you would note that these two were called Voltel and Sara. The change to Voltel's name is pretty minor, mostly making the reference to Voltaire clearer, and neither character is particularly relevant to the plot anyway. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is the only scene they appear in.

Presance: Then it's settled. We are yours to command.

Much like most other conversations before, this largely conveys the same concepts as the original dialogue, but is more posh. I like that they made it more dynamic with Leonard and Presance following up each other's questions, but at the same time, I feel like this scene was rather overwrought compared to the original. So I prefer its take here, which for the most part is rare - like I said, overall I like the PSP remake's script more than the PS1's translation.

Next time, I finish comparing the scripts for the latest scenes as we challenge Nybbas, and then head back to Amorika, only to be sent elsewhere for weird and delicate negotiations. See you then!

Today, we move on to fight Nybbas at Fort Kadoriga. Which, of course, is called Qadriga here. I won't spend too much time dwelling on every name mentioned outside of dialogue and narrative, the Let's Play would drag out quite a bit if I did that.

Nybbas: She harbored a rare appreciation for my research. Sad to see her pass, though I envy her newfound vicinity to death!

Is Nybbas saying that necromancers like to be killed? That's a rather disturbing fondness, though not out of character for them.

Nybbas: Yet it is not time to join her company. Perhaps we might come to an...understanding?
Nybbas: I care not who rules this island. Take it, it's yours.
Nybbas: My siege of Amorika was a purely business venture, you see. A deal struck with the Hierophant to satisfy my...curiosities.
Nybbas: And what of it? Your precious castle is returned. What's done is done!
Nybbas: I propose you let me go free. The alternative, of course, would be for us to do battle.
Nybbas: But no...the time it would take to destroy you is that much less time for my research! Hardly efficient.
Nybbas: If there's anything I detest in this world, it is inefficiency!

This chunk of dialogue is a big downgrade. I mean, in the original, Nybbas came across as an indifferent, powerful wizard who just dismisses Reives' arrival and cheekily asks him to let him off. Here, he instead tries to engage Reives in a serious conversation, which seems odd, considering that he clearly has no intention of surrendering to him, and is able to escape easily even if he attempts to use force. I feel like the old Nybbas was not only more flavorful, but also more fitting in the situation here. Not to mention, noticeably less long winded.

Much like before, we try the peaceful approach. Or the closest thing to one, anyways.

Reives: Lay down your arms, and you will come to no harm. But you cannot go free.
Reives: If you would do penance for your crimes, come to Amorika. I promise your life will be spared.
Reives: ...Though, you will be our prisoner and treated no better than you deserve.

Reives thankfully has the sense not to insult the powerful necromancer much this time. But he still is too optimistic about getting him to willfully submit, considering his power and Leonard and Presance having big grudges against him.

Nybbas: I approve! You forsake the chaotic nature of youth for the twin lights of reason and order!
Nybbas: Yet, I must decline. You may mean well, but there is no shortage of others who would see me hang.
Nybbas: Even as I ask why we must fight, I accept the inevitability of the coming battle. Freedom's wage must be paid in full.
Nybbas: Denizens of the Abyss! From ink of blackest night, I summon you! Darkness to me!

Same deal as his last chunk of dialogue - he keeps trying to act reasonable, which is less enjoyable and fitting to the situation here.

(Nybbas proceeds to summon a bunch of ghosts, skeletons, and zombies.)

Nybbas: Now, an experiment! Let us mix youth with danger and observe the reaction!

Bah, quit pretending you're a scientist! Your line of work provides for more ominous threats anyway.

This mission is definitely noticeably harder here; undead being harder to kill certainly plays a part, but Nybbas also has a larger entourage, and they have specialized classes too. As such, they pack quite a bit of ranged firepower, which requires some maneuvering to get past. He further summons additional ghosts to reinforce his entourage as they go down, dragging the fight quite a bit. And Leonard isn't around this time to help out this time around, either.

After some extremely tense fighting, Nybbas dies:

Nybbas: But I am afraid your victory cannot be complete, for there is still vital research to be done, and none to do it but me!
Nybbas: Reives, was it? A name I shall make a point to remember.
Nybbas: When the war is lost and won, I feel we will meet again. When we do, I will be only too happy to reveal the ripened fruits of my research.
Nybbas: Until then.

Well, it's pretty similar to how Nybbas' dialogue has been rewritten so far, down to the strange politeness. At least it's consistent?

(Nybbas transforms into a crow and flies off.)

And now we head back to Amorika, where Ronway delivers his next address.

Ronway: I hope you continue to do so. You are to accompany Leonard to Fiduc Castle-a Bacrum holding.

Note: Fiduc here is called Phidoch. As is often the case, I find that the old word sounds more natural and fitting.

Reives: Fiduc Castle-where the Dark Knights are garrisoned. Why there?
Ronway: I want you to forge a treaty of non-interference before the real fighting with Gargastan begins.
Ronway: Not with the Bacrum, mind you, but with the Dark Knights of Lodis.
Ronway: We cannot have them hounding our flank while we are occupied with Gargastan.
Kachua: But...your grace. It was the Bacrum who brought on this war.
Kachua: Our parents died on Roslolian swords.
Kachua: Had they not aided the Bacrum, how much suffering might we have been spared?
Ronway: None know this better than I, Kachua.
Ronway: But consider what would happen were we to face such a foe in open battle. They would crush us.
Ronway: The Bacrum people, overfed swine that they are, are no threat. Ah, but the Dark Knights - there is a foe to be feared.

Okay, that insult was unexpected. I know that this game is set in the midst of an ethnic conflict, but so far we haven't seen the Walstanians show any animosity to the Bacrum. It's the Gargastanis who are fighting with and mistreating them after all.

Ronway: Which is why we must swear our allegiance to Lodis and ensure they are no foe of ours.
Vice: So your grace means to bend the knee to Lodis?
Ronway: (looking straight ahead) Tread carefully, Vice. I have told you we are of one mind on this.
Ronway: I know the devil's bargain we make with Lodis. But it is only until we can deal with Gargastan...and Barbatos.

Note: Barbatos is Balbatos in this translation. I am pretty indifferent about this change, though I do prefer the old word.

Ronway: With the Dark Knights at bay, those opportunists in the Gargastani camp clamoring for war will fall silent.
Ronway: There's our chance. Once Barbatos is dead and buried, only then do we turn to strike the Bacrum.
Ronway: What does our Holy Knight make of this? The Zenobian throne has no designs on Valeria. No Lodis, they.
Ronway: Surely, then, King Tristan would not object to a treaty of non-interference. A gesture of support for our burgeoning state.
Ronway: Ah, but I forget this has no bearing on you, Sir Lans. Forgive me.
Lans: ...

Ronway: (turning to Reives' party) Well, the sooner you and Leonard have left for Fiduc, the better.
Ronway: A purse of 5000 Goth should help you see to your needs. I'll not have you depart unprepared.

So there's not much to discuss about this scene. It's mostly the same as the original, only more posh, as you might expect. It's a bit drawn out and overwrought compared to it, but not by enough to really be an issue.

Also, note that Ronway gives us less gold here, to compensate for giving us an exceptionally hefty sum at the beginning of the last mission. This doesn't matter much though - gold is rarely an issue unless you try to buy advanced equipment or spells too early. And aside from the assault on Fort Kadoriga, nothing has really demanded the equipment to be on curve so far. Anyhow, that wraps up this addendum. Join us next time as we begin to move eastward in pursuit of negotiations.

We now move on to Fiduc, visiting the lands to our East.

Of course, we're not going to exactly have a pleasant cruise there, and someone at Gruborza Plains is only too eager to stop us.

Brenzen: Army is here.
Soldier: We cannot win with our limited manpower! Let's retreat and not look back!
Brenzen: (rushing to the soldier) Shut up you wimp! Don't you have any pride!?
Soldier: But look at them. They've got bigger swords than us...It's obvious that we can't win.

Note: This isn't true, obviously. Yet, it is a hilarious line that shows how dispirited these people are, so I'll give it a pass.

(Brenzen kills the soldier in the presence of the rest of his force. Everyone looks on, utterly shocked.)

Brenzen: You're just scared because they took over Amorika Castle. Why don't you just run home to your mama!!
Brenzen: (turning to face Reives' forces) Follow me! I will show you the strength of Gargastan!

So, that was a rather long introduction, but I think it served its purpose fairly well. It showed just how different attitudes manifest in the Gargastani armies over the capture of Amorika and Krizar, as well as played a little with the "bumbling boss" trope, exaggerating it for some dark humor.

Anyway, the goal is obviously to kill Brenzen. The game introduces new enemy classes here, having a Cleric and a Wizard fight under Brenzen's command. However, there's just not enough units for them to be a real threat, and as such, they are spread thin, allowing for an easy "divide and conquer" approach.

Oh, and Leonard is here, and is quite tough.

Image Image

Here's an Exorcist level. Exorcists gain lots of INT but have rather poor VIT and AGI growths. This means that their spells are potent(though their selection of such is rather limited), but their overall defenses are a bit shaky, and they tend to be slow in fights. VIT figures into both physical and magical defense, so they aren't good at facing spells either, contrary to what you may think. Interestingly, since their stat growths are rather average otherwise, this implies that they could feasibly fight using regular weapons, though it's not recommended to do so for fairly obvious reasons.

Back to the mission itself, we easily clear out the Southern flank of the enemy, then surround the Northern one. There are some hiccups, thanks in part to every enemy having a level above us, but eventually we pull through with little issue.

Brenzen: ...Glory...to Gargastan!!

We get his axe, which has...exactly one more point of attack over the swords our melee units have been using. Great. Well, we give it to the Knight anyway, he seems the best suited for it.

Onto Rime, the next stop on the path to Fiduc!

Ryumos: Or do you want to die here?
Sisteena: If you want to kill me, go ahead. I may die but my ideals will live on!
Ryumos: Stubborn b****...Kill her!
(A dragon and a fighter approach her from the side, nearly surrounding her. She jumps to the other side of the Western canals, escaping them.)
Ryumos: (turning to Reives' forces) Huh? Who are you?
(The scene shifts to Reives' forces.)
Leonard: She is not from the Liberation Army. Does she belong to another organization?

We get a choice of what tone to use, but meh. We're going to fight these people anyway, why not boldly offer to help her out?

Reives: Either way, we cannot abandon her. Let's help her!

The goal of this map is to kill Ryumos, with a secondary and completely optional, yet strongly implied goal to save Sisteena. This is also the first time we get to fight a large sized unit, an Earth Dragon in this case. Further, the enemy starts out pretty highly above us, and Sisteena wastes little time charging back in. Time is therefore of the essence if you wish to rescue her, and placing your Exorcist closer to her position helps immensely.

This battle is a bit unfair, and even if you do everything right, there is a chance that Sisteena will die thanks to her aggression and being focused upon. Thankfully, once you do get your forces close enough, the enemy will start dividing their attention, and then it becomes far easier to keep her alive with healing, especially if she didn't get poisoned by the Earth Dragon. Besides that, however, the enemy troops are rather unimpressive, with the only things of note being a Witch who can stun, and the aforementioned Earth Dragon, which, on top of its poison breath, is noticeably sturdy. However, its bites are surprisingly weak, and so it can be dealt with relatively easily by some decent melee fighters. As such, after I repositioned my Exorcist on another try, it didn't take long for the enemy to collapse, with Reives getting the final blow on Ryumos.

Ryumos: Am I going to die here...?
Ryumos: At least... I need to...

Now, if Sisteena survived, you'll get another scene, where Leonard, Reives' entourage and her meet in a dilapidated house.

Sisteena: Thank you for saving my life.
Sisteena: I am a warrior of the Valeria Liberation Front. I came here to scout the town to get supplies.
Vice: (rushing forward slightly) Valeria Liberation Front?
Vice: Those extremists! I don't like this...
Kachua: What do you mean? Aren't they in the same position as us?
Leonard: (turning to Reives' group) She is a member of Bacrum's extreme right-wing group who worship the late King Dolgaria.

This conversation is probably the only time he's referred to as Dolgaria. Either it's a translation error, or an alternative name for him; kings and other notable people did have multiple names during many periods of history.

Kachua: I've heard about that. They're the people who are fighting against the Bacrum government.
Leonard: That's the polite term...
Leonard: "Terrorist" is more like it.
Leonard: They engage in subversive activities, involving innocent citizens...

Anachronistic term aside, I do appreciate the irony of Leonard trying to accuse her group of engaging in violent actions, especially since we've fought to capture at least two locations by now. Sure, you could say that we didn't directly involve any innocent civilians, but they are doubtless still affected by what we did, so it's just splitting hairs.

Sisteena: That's not true! That is propaganda that Branta's government has perpetuated!
Sisteena: We, the Valeria Liberation Front, want to go back to the time of King Dolgaria. When everyone was equal...

So, recall when I said that them being a "right wing group" wasn't what people would assume hearing the term? This conversation here clarifies it. They're "right wing" in the sense that they're fighting to restore an old order, one that they think was beneficial to the entire island.

Vice: Equal!? Ha, did she say equality!? When did we ever have equality?
Vice: Maybe for the Bacrum people, it was equal alright. But for us Walstanians we were treated like shit!
Sisteena: (turning to Vice) I never...Then what are you fighting for?

Well, this conversation has already flared up pretty thoroughly, and we don't know who's right. Obviously Reives fights for Walsta, but let's try to defuse the situation a bit and claim we fight to restore peace.

Reives: For true peace. We are fighting to create a world without war.

That's a bit too tall a promise, but sure.

Sisteena: Then let us fight together.
Sisteena: We are after the same thing.
Vice: Don't be ridiculous.
Vice: We can't unite with the Bacrum people.
Vice: They're the enemy.

Ah, and Vice lays bare part of the reason he and Leonard distrust her. They don't trust the Bacrum much, and their claims of restoring a bygone peaceful age where everyone was treated fairly thus falls completely flat on them. This is an island divided by ethnic conflict after all, and the king himself was influenced heavily by Bacrumites, what with the capital being in their region.

Vice: You see, what he meant by "true peace" was a world where the Walstanians can live without fear.
Vice: We do not wish to live in a world where we need to co-exist with you terrorists! We don't need you!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's no reeling the conversation back from this point.

Leonard: That's enough Vice.
Leonard: This is pointless...
Leonard: Sisteena, that's your name, isn't it?
Leonard: I will set you free. Leave this place.
Leonard: This is our war. I will not allow the Bacrum people to selfishly invade our land.

That's a bit rude, Leonard. Nowhere did she state such an intention, even if you have misgivings over her goals.

Sisteena: (turning to Leonard) I see. But I will not give up.
Sisteena: We will establish a peaceful world no matter what.
Sisteena: Someday you will realize that if you are truly seeking peace, then you will have to give up your selfish desires.
Leonard: Leave now and don't ever come back.
(Sisteena moves out of the house, briefly turning back to Reives' group on the way.)

Overall, I like that scene, despite some rather sketchy dialogue. It's a nice glimpse of the chaotic relationships between various people on the island, as well as a depiction of naive, determined idealism coming in contact with messy realities and cold pragmatism.

Next time, we visit Fiduc Castle itself, and engage in diplomacy with the Dark Knights themselves! And, as you can likely tell, things are not going to go perfectly smoothly there. See you then!

It's just not the true Tactics Ogre experience without getting incredibly frustrated at suicidal escort NPC AI. Oh well, there'll probably be time enough for that later.

VIT doesn't just figure into magic defense, it's actually the main component of it, not MEN. It also tends to run lower than the other five stats, probably because it's the primary component in both physical and magical defense. That said Exorcists are roughly average in both VIT and MEN, our boy Donny just got some bad rolls on that level there. But yeah, don't entertain the idea of tanking anything with an Exorcist unless it's the rare Virtue attack spell that comes your way.

Alright, time to actually meet the Dark Knights and get the negotiations done.

Leonard: My name is Leonard Leci Limon.

No, I don't know why he's called that, though it's not that unusual a name, given the setting.

Leonard: A Knight of the Amorika Knight Battalion.
Leonard: I have come here as an envoy of Duke Ronway, the great leader of Walsta.
Dark Knight: Wait here.
The knight heads inside the castle, and Leonard turns to Reives' entourage.
Leonard: This is the Fiduc castle, where the Roslolian Knights are stationed.
Leonard: This castle is also called "Swan Castle".
Leonard: It looks elegant, but it is as impregnable as any fortress.
Leonard turns back towards the castle, and we see the knight arrive, escorting someone in red robes.
Balzepho: We have been waiting for you Leonard. Give me the letter from your Duke.
Leonard: (handing it over) Here it is.
Balzepho: You have come a long way.
Balzepho: Come in and rest.

We cut to a meeting room within the castle, with Leonard, Reives, and his entourage seated. Balzepho addresses them from the side.

Balzepho: The Duke's request is interesting.

Hmm, curious choice of words there. Does he approve of his terms?

Leonard: May I ask what your response would be?
Balzepho: You should hear it directly from our lord.
Leonard: My god...Sir Lans himself is here!?

Yes. The Lans Reives and his entourage were trying to kill is, in fact, the leader of the Dark Knights. You can already guess how this negotiation is going to go, assuming Leonard lets them speak.

The room's door opens, and a stately knight walks into the room, taking the chair facing Leonard and Reives' entourage.
Lans: Welcome, Warriors of Walsta.
Lans: I am Lans Tartare.
Leonard: I am Leonard of the Amorika Knight Battalion.
Leonard: I would like to know what your answer is to our lord.
Lans: Ha, ha, ha. You are impatient.
Lans: Very well, tell this to your Duke.
Lans: The leader of Bacrum, Branta, is not interested in the Gargastan and Walsta war.
Lans: We, the Dark Knights share the same feeling.
Lans: We will maintain neutrality.

Phew, that's a successfully carried out negotiation.

Leonard: Thank you for your generous words.
Leonard: My lord will be happy to hear that.
Balzepho:(Turning to Leonard) However, do you think you can win the war without our support?

Did I speak too soon? Are they going to ask Walsta to pledge allegiance to Lodis in exchange for not being attacked? That's going to be more than a bit awkward, considering that a bunch of Zenobians are working for the Duke. And hey, your lord himself said they wouldn't be interfering just moments ago, why contradict him with this offer?

Leonard: To be honest, we may not.
Leonard: But victory is not our goal.
Leonard: Our ultimate wish is to establish a world where everyone can co-exist peacefully.

I think you could have worded that better, Leonard. Sure, you might want peaceful coexistence, but your side is involved in a conflict for survival right now, and without victories of some sort, it's hard to see how you will accomplish your goal.

Leonard: Besides, if we were to receive support from another country, we would lose the trust from the people.
Lans: I see...Then I assume that you do not want to follow in the footsteps of Bacrum, who owe their success to us...and lose the trust of the people. This is interesting, ha, ha, ha.

I don't like where this conversation is going.

Leonard: Well, I did not say...
Lans: Very well. We, the people of Lodis, are very proud...
Lans: I understand why you do not want to be like the Bacrum people.
Leonard:...
Lans: Actually, the reason why I asked you such a question is because your troops are quite young.

He's referring to Reives and his entourage there. This is the most explicit the game gets about their age, but they are indeed teenagers/young adults.

Lans: It gave me the impression that Walsta's situation was so bad that you had no choice but to use children...

That sounds rather condescending, but if you don't insist on accepting Lodisian support, it's fine.

Leonard: Forgive me for interrupting my lord, but they are anointed knights. Do not underestimate them.
Lans: I see...
Leonard: They rescued Duke Ronway from Amorika Castle which was defended by some of Gargastan's best soldiers...

Ahaha, not only is he claiming Reives and company rescued the Duke, he's now trying to play their opposition up to make them look even more impressive. The sheer lengths this narrative spinning takes is quite hilarious.

Leonard: Moreover, they saved my life when I was in danger at Krizar.
Lans: So, you are the heroes of Griate that the people are talking about.

And that's a nice bit of confirmation that indeed, people elsewhere have been hearing of events back in Walsta and know of Reives' entourage's deeds. He has some fame to his credit.

Lans: Forgive me...But have we met before?

Uh oh. I can't see that line of enquiry ending well...

Reives:...I don't think so... But...
Lans: But...what? Go ahead.
Kachua: It was the night when the first snow fell in several years. In the town of Griate, you were the knights...

Yep, there we go with the grudge being aired publicly to the man directly responsible for it.

Leonard: Stop it Kachua! Do not forget why you are here!

We get the choice to either have Reives calm Kachua down, or to support her and continue airing their grudge. Since he was trying to brush off the issue earlier, and is trying to act sensibly so far, let's keep him consistent and make him calm Kachua.

Reives: Don't start... This is not our war anymore.
Lans: Ah, so you are the survivors of the attack on Griate. That was...
Lans turns to Balzepho.
Balzepho: We attacked Griate based on information that there were rebels hiding in Griate.

Rebels opposing whom, though? Isn't the country split between two major factions? Did they really expect to round up people opposing Branta in Griate, of all places?

Lans turns back to Reives' entourage.
Lans: Which, unfortunately turned out to be false information. Your hatred for us is not unjustified.
Lans: Although it was a mistake, it does not justify what we did. I offer you my most solemn apology...
Lans makes a deep bow to Reives' entourage.

I appreciate the lengths Lans goes to in making himself seem dignified, even if their excuse is rather flimsy.

Leonard: That is not necessary...
Leonard: We have to get back to our castle.
Lans: (Quickly getting up) That's too bad... I would love to talk with you more...
Leonard: I again apologize for their rudeness. We must be going now.
Leonard, Reives, and his entourage leave, though Kachua lingers for a while and turns back to Lans. Balzepho moves towards the window.
Balzepho:...You did not have to go that far, sir.
Lans:(Lifting his gaze slightly)...Do you remember Haborym?
Balzepho:(Turning to Lans) Yes sir. He wasn't all there, but he was very close to me...
A moment of silence follows.
Lans: That brother and sister.
Lans: They're so close, just like Haborym and you once were...

All the stuff about Haborym there is foreshadowing for an optional character with major ties to several Lodisian characters. I'll bring him up when the time is right.

There's a lot to like about this conversation. It formally introduces two major antagonists, gives them both some pretty solid characterization, elaborates on Lodis' schemes without revealing too much, and gives an opportunity for one of them to show a more warmer side, even if it's mostly staged. Further, we got to see how close Leonard is to Duke Ronway's intentions; throughout, he represents his position quite faithfully, even repeating his fake narrative about Reives and embellishing it further. He's also certainly quite measured and authoritative when the situation calls for it, trying his best to keep tempers in check during the negotiation.

Anyway, that wraps up negotiations, and all that's left to do is to report back to Ronway, barring a few random(and largely uneventful) encounters. We know that Lodis has promised not to interfere, but we also know that they have ulterior motives. However, right now all we can do is take their words for granted, so let's just assume that was a successful negotiation and move on. See you all next time!

Last time, we met the Dark Knights and successfully conducted negotiations. So all that's left now is to head back to Amorika.
Script:

The scene opens at the meeting hall within Amorika. Ronway turns to Reives' entourage and speaks.
Ronway: You have overcome your personal vendetta and accomplished your duty. Thank you.
Ronway: This may sound abrupt, but I need you to go to the town of Baramus.
Kachua: That is the town where the Gargastanis made a Walsta self governing district.
Ronway: But in actuality, it is a Walstania concentration camp.
Ronway: It used to be a coal mining town. But they forced the people in the town to become slaves.
Ronway: The total population is only 5000.
Ronway: Though everyday more of our people are dying from overwork...
Kachua: We must save them...it is our duty.
Ronway: I realize that it would be impossible for us to save 5000 people.
Ronway: My plan is to motivate them to revolt.
Vice: A revolt with that many people, we can't possibly lose.
Ronway: Your optimism is encouraging however, the odds are not in our favor.
Ronway: We are still too weak. We have to be fully prepared before Gargastan attacks us.
Ronway: Fortunately, antagonism between Barbatos and the anti-government supporters is increasing.
Ronway: If Barbatos is going to move, he will first destroy the anti-government forces.
Ronway: This is our only chance!!
Leonard: Your duty is to persuade the people in Baramus.
Leonard: I'm sure that some will be unwilling to fight and others may just want to stay where they are.
Ronway: But that does not mean they like the Gargastanis.
Ronway: They are simply tired of fighting.
Ronway: I want you to revive their courage and hope.
Leonard: I will not fail you, my lord...
Ronway: Our fate depends upon your young soldiers. I wish you the best.

Reives' entourage gets up and leaves. Once they're all gone, Ronway speaks to Leonard.
Ronway: Leonard, I have faith in you.
Ronway: Do not fail me.
Leonard: Everything is moving according to your plan. Do not worry...
For the most part, a rather straightforward conversation marred a bit by poor translation. Ronway shows some rather strong confidence in Reives' entourage, assigning them to infiltrate a concentration camp and then start a revolt, all to take advantage of internal strife in Gargastan caused by their actions earlier. Oh, and that last bit with Leonard is certainly curious. We know quite well how close he is to Ronway, and now it seems like he's entrusted him with a few secrets of his own, too. Gotta keep a watch out for that...

Anyways, onto another scene!
Script:

The scene opens somewhere in Griate, at dusk. Lans is seen silently looking at some canals, pondering something. Reives suddenly speaks up, offscreen.
Reives: Sir Lans?

Lans turns to the source of the voice, who comes walking from the right. He stops a few feet in front of Lans, slightly to his left.
Lans: Ah, Reives. How did you know I was here?
Reives: Sir Guildus told me I would find you here.
Lans: I see... come here.

Reives obeys, getting within a feet of Lans. Lans continues.
Lans: Is something bothering you?
Lans: Is it about the revolt in Baramus?
Reives: Sir Leonard told me it was going to be dangerous...
Lans: Are you scared? This is not like you.

Reives abruptly turns to Lans.
Reives: Well, I...
Lans: Don't feel embarrassed.
Lans: Everyone gets scared.

A moment of silence passes. Lans and Reives look away from each other for a while, then Reives looks back at him and asks.
Reives: Sir Lans, do you get scared?

Lans turns to answer.
Lans: Of course. Every time I go into battle my body shakes with fear.
Lans: But then I think, I can't die here. I have to live.
Lans: Somehow the thought eases my fears.

Reives looks away from him, thoughtfully.
Reives: Can't die here...
Reives: But I always thought that I would die for a revolution...
Reives: And yet I realize I fear death...
Lans: Risking your life and dying are two completely different things.
Lans: If you are really concerned about people, then you should not die. You have to see where this battle will take you.
Lans:...Besides, you have a sister. You have to live for her.

A moment of silence passes. Reives turns to Lans.
Reives: How about you, Sir Lans.
Reives: Is there someone that you live for?

A moment of silence passes. Lans pulls out a music box and opens it, playing a strangely haunting tinny tune.
Reives: That is...?
Lans: I live to carry on the memory of my late wife...
Reives: Late wife...

A moment of silence passes. Lans eventually elaborates.
Lans:...Four or five years ago.
Lans: Before the war against the Empire.
Lans: We were chased by the Empire's men and during our journey, my wife got sick and died...
Lans: I can't remember how many times I considered killing myself. Especially before the battle.
Lans: Then I listen to this music box that my wife left me. It reminds me of how precious life is...
Lans: It tells me that I have to live.
Lans: I have to carry on...
Reives:...to live.

Lans closes the music box, and turns back to the canals to contemplate. He eventually speaks.
Lans: I hope the day will come when...
Lans: A young lad like yourself does not have to fight...

Reives turns to Lans, pondering his words.
A rather heartfelt scene, this not only shows Lans trying to encourage and support an unsure Reives embarking on a bold plan, it also humanizes him effectively. He goes from offering some experienced advice to revealing his own personal motivations, and finally concludes with some sincere hopes for a better future. I also like that he cautions against blind bravado, and makes it clear that fighting for a cause does not have to mean fighting to the death. Lans may be a powerful knight working for a mighty foreign empire, but he is still a caring person underneath.

And with that bit of plot set up, Reives is back on the overworld again. We'll send him towards Baramus, but not before comparing the script to the PSP version, and reading the news. In fact, let's do that latter thing right now!

There's not much new, "Bacrum manipulate?" mostly talks about how Reives' entourage broke through Gargastani lines to meet with the Bacrum in Rime. There's some speculation that they are secret messengers trying to request military support from them. Clearly, whoever wrote this doesn't know about Fiduc Castle, or who occupies it.

Apologies for providing a shorter episode, the comparison post will be quite more involved, and so I think it's better to dedicate that to its own post. See you all soon!

PSP remake:

It's time to continue playing through the PSP remake, as I continue to compare its script to the PS1 translation.
Script:

The camera quickly shifts to the Gargastani forces, camped in the upper right. Their leader, a berserker, speaks.

Brenzen: Walstanian forces... Can't catch a break, can we?

A Gargastani soldier stationed behind Brezen approaches him slightly.

Gargastani Soldier: They have us in numbers. Best fall back to Rime.

Brenzen rushes to this soldier, staring him in the face.

Brenzen: I'd sooner fall into my grave! Are you a son of Gargastan or no!
Gargastani Soldier: Talk brave as you like, it won't change our odds. We should rejoin the file.

An uneasy moment of silence passes. The soldier awkwardly tries to walk away, but Brenzen swiftly strikes him down, to the shock of everyone else.

Brenzen: Amorika falls, and you think the sky falls with it. There's no place here for cowards.

Brenzen turns back to face Reives' entourage.

Brenzen: Bring 'em on, I say! For Gargastan!
So first, I like that Brenzen was cheekily renamed to Brezen, a rather clever play on words. Besides that, this is mostly the same conversation as the original, with the soldier given a less silly reason to back away from fighting. Rime there is also called Rhime, which doesn't mean much, though the city has a ridiculously long title in this version.

The strategy for this map mostly ends up being similar to the PS1 version of it - attack and destroy the isolated enemy groups, then close in on Brenzen. So there's not much reason to go in detail.

When Reives gets his first turn, he issues a declaration:
In Battle Script:

Reives: Warriors of Gargastan! Lay down your arms, and you may yet keep your lives.

The camera quickly shifts to Brenzen.

Brenzen: I thought to offer you much the same deal, boy! A battle's won with blood, not numbers.

The camera pans back to Reives.

Reives: Your cause is hopeless. Why throw your lives away?

The camera shifts back to Brenzen again.

Brenzen: Soon or late, all men meet their end. What good to live in fear of it?
Brenzen: I know your kind-young, always thinking on tomorrow. You might try letting go. Drifting with the current.

The camera shifts back to Reives.

Reives: You think me unprepared for death? I'm not so young as that!

The camera shifts to Brenzen again.

Brenzen: Gods beneath us, why do I even bother?
So I have no clue why this conversation was written. Reives' asking the Gargastani forces to surrender is a bit out of character, though not unreasonably so, especially since he would have observed the soldier trying to talk them out of fighting. But Brenzen's lines don't really do much here, and I don't see why he would try to give Reives a life lesson when his whole character is meant to be a comically determined leader willing to fight the Walstanians regardless of the odds.

Once Brenzen has lost most of his HP, Vice yells at him:
In Battle Script:

Vice turns to Brenzen and yells.

Vice: Stubborn wretch. What's it take to kill you?
Brenzen: Quite a tongue on you, boy. Small wonder your kind find themselves reviled at every turn.
Vice: Us reviled!? Look who's casting stones!
Leonard: Calm, Vice.

Leonard turns to Brenzen.

Leonard: We do not fight to prove which side is least loved. We fight to restore peace!
Brenzen: I spit on your peace! Amorika knew peace until you plunged it back into war!
Again, I have no clue why this dialogue was written. To paint Brenzen as extra evil? To show that he's racist? To show that Vice is hot headed? We already know quite a bit about Vice's brashness from previous scenes, why insert a scene of him arguing with the enemy leader to emphasize that?

When Brenzen dies, he utters this:

Brenzen: At least I'll know peace...in death.

And with that, we move to Rime. Or the Arkhiaopolis of Rhime. Got to make the city sound grand, you know.
Script:

The camera shows a bunch of Gargastani soldiers surrounding a grey haired woman. They seem to be accompanied by a dragon. Their leader, a knight, speaks to her.

Ryumos: The sooner you accept the truth, the sooner this will be over. The alternative is also swift yet...painful.
Warrior: Kill me if you wish! You can never kill our spirit, nor our desire for justice!
Ryumos: Defiant cur! Kill her.

The dragon and a Gargastani soldier attempt to approach her from her back, but she quickly dodges them and jumps to the other side of the canals, situated right of the Gargastani group. Bolis hears Reives' entourage arrive and turns to them.

Bolis: Hmm? Who goes there?

The camera shifts slowly to Reives' entourage. Leonard observes the situation.

Leonard: She's not resistance... another faction perhaps?

Reives ponders whether to volunteer to rescue her, or to dismiss her predicament. He chooses the former.

Reives: I won't stand here and watch her be hunted. Quickly, to her aid!
Ryumos is called Bolis, but again, this scene is largely similar to how it was in the PS1 version, only with a touch less profanity. As for the battle itself, it's nothing special. Sisteena is still quite aggressive, but the enemy force doesn't target her as single mindedly as they do on the PS1 version, so it's far more manageable to rescue her. Especially if you bring Canopus to get past the enemy lines sooner than usual. However, you do have to deal with Ryumos being able to cast healing, and while Ryumos doesn't do much damage, the dragon hits fairly hard, especially if it uses its special moves. Not to mention, both of them have quite sturdy defenses, making the fight drag out quite a bit.

Besides that, though, the enemy force is decidedly unimpressive, and it doesn't take long to bring Ryumos down.

Ryumos: What!? I was not fated to die here... not to you!

And of course, we get a scene of Reives' group conversing with Sisteena if she survives.
Script:

Reives' group and Sisteena meet up in a dilapidated building somewhere in Rime. Sisteena bows momentarily, and speaks.

Sisteena: Without your aid, I would never have escaped with my life. Thank you.
Sisteena: I am Sisteena, a warrior in the Liberation Front.
Sisteena: I was scouting the Gargastani in preparation for a raid on their stores when they spotted me.

Vice looks at Sisteena and speaks.

Vice: Liberation Front? Partisan zealots, the lot of them. Nothing but trouble.
Kachua: I had always thought us two sides of the same coin.

Leonard looks at Kachua.

Leonard: She is a Bacrum traditionalist, a group loyal to the late King Dolgare.
Kachua: I've heard of them. Not all Bacrum support the current regime, after all.
Leonard: Oh, their goals are lofty enough, but their deeds border on butchery.
Leonard: They risk the lives of soldier and innocent alike with their subversion. Means unworthy of their end.
Sisteena: You have us wrong! These are lies spread by Branta!
Sisteena: We seek only a return to better times, when a man's race and beliefs could not discredit him.
Vice: Better times? Don't make me laugh!
Vice: Good enough for those with luck to be born Bacrum, but we lived then as we do now-insects beneath the boots of our betters!

Sisteena turns to Leonard.

Sisteena: I see... Then tell me: why is it that you fight?

Sisteena then turns to Reives. He ponders whether to be truthful and claim he fights for Walsta's future, or to support Sisteena outwardly. He chooses the latter.

Reives: We seek only peace. A world free of war and strife. This is why we fight.
Sisteena: Then we share common cause. Let us fight together.
Vice: Us, fight alongside Bacrum? Absurd.
Vice: The peace we fight for is one in which the Walstanians can live as men.
Vice: We want no part of any shared peace. I piss on your common cause!

Leonard looks at Vice.

Leonard: Enough, Vice. Such talk leads us nowhere.
Leonard: You are free to go, Sisteena. But you must quit this place at once.
Leonard: This is our land. Our fight. The Bacrum are not welcome here.

Sisteena turns and faces Leonard firmly.

Sisteena: As you wish. But we will not stop until the world is made fair and just.
Sisteena: One day you will open your eyes.
Sisteena: You will see that only by putting aside vain desires can we usher in an era of true peace.
Leonard: Go now, and do not return.

Sisteena proceeds to leave, but she briefly turns back to Reives when at the door.
Like quite a few notable scenes, this tempers the emotions conveyed in the PS1 script too much by making everyone sound a bit too formal. Though, I was taken aback when Vice talked so bluntly about disliking shared peace with the Bacrum, and found that Leonard's talk about how the Bacrum weren't welcome in the Walstanian struggle hit harder here.

From now on, I'm not going to point out the new names used, unless they seem particularly absurd or overwrought. It's simply not interesting to go "X was called Y, which is an okay rename" or "S is called H, which doesn't change much" often.

Anyway, all that's left is for Reives' entourage to head to Fiduc to negotiate with the Dark Knights, so let's do that next time!

It's been a while, but Reives finally moves on to negotiate treaties at Fiduc Castle.
Script:

The scene opens with Reives' entourage and Leonard walking up the steps to a huge castle. A guard at its front addresses them:

Dark Knight: Who goes there? Speak your name!
Leonard: I am Leonard Leci Limon, sworn sword of the Knights of Amorika.
Leonard: I come before you a humble servant of the great Duke Ronway, esteemed leader of the Walstanians.
Dark Knight: I shall announce your arrival.

The guard walks into the castle. Leonard turns to Reives' entourage.

Leonard: The Dark Knights make their fastness here in Fiduc Castle.
Leonard: See her soaring walls? No wonder they name her "The Swan".
Leonard: But beneath her outward beauty is a nearly impregnable fortress.
Leonard: Be glad we are not tasked to take her.

Leonard turns back to the castle. A guard approaches, escorting someone old in a red robe. He walks until he's close to Leonard, and speaks:

Balzepho: We have looked for your arrival, Sir Leonard. You bring word from the Duke?

Leonard reaches out and delivers Ronway's message to Balzepho.

Leonard: I do, my Lord.
Balzepho: No doubt you've had a hard journey. Come. Rest within our halls.

Balzepho walks back into the castle. Leonard and Reives' entourage slowly follow him.
So, comparing this bit to the PS1 conversation (which is linked here), there isn't much to talk about - it's basically the same conversation, only with more posh writing for everyone involved. Which mostly works out fine, since the characters involved are people of high standing. I do have to note the odd use of "fastness" again though, I mean there are better words to convey the intended meaning. Like, y'know, castle.

Anyways, onto the talks themselves.
Script:

The scene opens in a meeting room, with Leonard and Reives' entourage seated. Balzepho walks in and addresses them.

Balzepho:...Good Knights. We find your Duke's proposal most intriguing.
Leonard: Have you an answer?
Balzepho: Perhaps you had best ask my Lord directly for that.
Leonard: Sir Lans is here, in this castle!?

A few moments of silence pass. Balzepho turns to the front entrance of the meeting room, as a knight with a graceful countenance walks in. He takes his seat and faces the Walstanian representatives.

Lans: He is.
Lans: Greetings, brave Knights of the Walstanians. I am Lans Tartare.
Leonard: Leonard Leci Limon of Amorika, if it please you.
Leonard: You have considered our proposal?
Lans: Ha! You waste no time, do you? I like that. I do have an answer for your Duke.
Lans: Tell his Grace that his struggle with the Gargastani is of no concern to his eminence Abuna Branta.
Lans: Nor is it any concern of ours. The Knights Roslolian remain and shall remain neutral on the matter.
Leonard: My thanks, Sir, for your swift response. Our Lord will be much pleased.
Balzepho: Indeed. Yet I must ask: do you really believe you can defeat Gargastan without our aid?
Leonard: Defeat Gargastan? Surely not. But such was never our intention.
Leonard: All we want - all we have ever wanted - is to fashion a peace with them.
Okay, I do like that excuse far more than the one given in the PS1 version. Fighting against a hostile state hard enough to get it to agree to leave your land in peace is far more plausible than trying to establish a peaceful world. Anyways...
Leonard: The Gargastani are a proud people. Were it to come to light that we sought the aid of a foreign power...
Leonard: I am afraid it would endanger the position of those in the Gargastani ranks who seek an accord as we do.
Lans: So your Duke does not want to anger his neighbors by placing his problems in our hands.
Lans: Bacrum could stand to take a lesson from him!
I am less fond of Lans encouraging Leonard's rebuffing of his offer, in the PS1 dialogue he came across as more condescendingly mocking, which was far more fitting considering his position in these talks. And while Leonard's point about the Gargastanis being less likely to accept peace if they accept Lodisian support is correct, it's much less impactful than pointing out that accepting said support would make the Duke lose acceptance among his own people.
Leonard: I...I did not mean to suggest...
Lans: No matter. We of Lodis place much upon a man's honor.
Lans: I can understand why your Duke would disdain the Bacrum way - enjoying a life of leisure while others do their dirty work.
I do like Lans' line here, where he mocks the Walstanians while also taking the opportunity to jab at the Bacrum and subtly point out who holds real power here.
Leonard: As you say, sir.
Lans: Forgive me, but your henchmen are so youthful I feared you wanted for seasoned men.
Leonard: Though they may be young in years, my Knights' skill in battle is no lesser for it.
Lans: Indeed.
Leonard: They freed his excellency and routed the Gargastani at Amorika.
Leonard: Moreover, it was they who came to my aid in Krizar. Without their intervention, I would not be here today.
Lans: Ah, so these are the heroes of Griate, then? Forgive an old Knight his errant tongue.
Lans: I say...have we met?
Kachua: No, not as such. That is...
Lans: That is...what? Speak plainly.
Kachua: That night in Griate, it snowed for the first time in years. I remember the sweep of flakes over the harbor, the bitter cold.
Kachua: You were there.
That's a very striking way to bring up the Dark Knights' raid of Griate. I like it.
Leonard: Mind your place, Kachua! Have you forgotten why we are here?

Reives ponders trying to calm Kachua or supporting her. He chooses to calm her, for the sake of the negotiations.

Reives: He's right, sister. This isn't the time. This conflict is larger than us now.
Lans: Ah, the torching. You would have been children...of course!

Lans and Balzepho turn to each other.

Balzepho: Aye. We attacked that night on word that elements of the resistance lurked in town.

Lans turns to the Walstanians.

Lans: False word, yes. I remember it well. As do you, clearly.
Lans: We were in error, though I hardly expect forgiveness on that count. Still, I can but apologize, for all it will do.
That's much less convincing than the apology offered in the PS1 version, and fails to convey the grace he's supposed to exhibit here, even if it's mostly an act.
Lans gets up and bows. Leonard, embarrassed by this, speaks up.

Leonard: E-enough of this. The Duke awaits our return.

Lans stops bowing and sits back in his chair..

Lans: Oh? I had hoped to speak at greater length.
Leonard: Forgive them-forgive us, good Sir. We'll be taking our leave.

Lans closes his eyes, and the Walstanians slowly leave. Kachua briefly looks back at Lans before leaving. Balzepho slowly walks to the window and speaks.

Balzepho: Was that entirely necessary?

Lans opens his eyes and responds.

Lans: You recall Haborym?
Balzepho: Hrnn? My brother? Aye, he was a staunch ally in a fight. Why?

A moment of silence follows.

Lans: Nothing. Only, the brother and sister just now put me in mind of him and you.
Overall, that was halfway towards being a good rework of the scene, mostly let down by a few plot points that were conveyed much better in the original. The dialogue otherwise is far more eloquent and fitting, even if it borders being overwrought at times.

Anyway, that wraps up negotiations. Next time, Reives and Leonard head back to Amorika and get sent to Baramus. See you then!

With the negotiations with the Dark Knights successfully concluded, for, err, a certain definition of "successful", Reives has nothing left to do, except report to Ronway. And so, he sets off for Amorika Castle...
Script:

The scene opens with Reives' entourage, Ronway, and his two guards, Leonard and Ravness, all gathered at the meeting room. Ronway addresses Reives' entourage.

Ronway: You set aside your own enmity for the greater Walstanian good. Such loyal service will not be forgotten.
Ronway: Would that time afforded you more rest - but I must ask you to leave for Baramus at once.
Kachua: Baramus? That lies in the territory the Gargastani alloted for Walstanian rule, no?
Ronway: Walstanian rule... hmph. Camps where our people are forced to live in squalor.
Ronway: It was a mining town, once. Coal. Now our kinsmen are herded there like cattle.
Ronway: Some five thousand labor in Baramus, slaves in all but name.
Ronway: The conditions are horrific beyond words. Scores die by the day.
Kachua: Then it falls to us to free them.
Ronway: You could never free five hundred, leave alone five thousand. No, you are to incite them to revolt.
Vice: An army five thousand strong, there for the taking.
Ronway: In truth, we cannot stay our course and hope for victory. We are far outmatched.
Ronway: However slight, we must tip the scales in our favor before Gargastan strikes.
Ronway: If all goes well, our bid will widen the rift between Barbatos and his enemies at home.
I feel like that's something you should've explained to them before bringing it up. While technically it's covered in the in game news section, we have little reason to believe that Reives' entourage is up to date on the political happenings of the island. Especially considering that this is a faux Middle Ages period, where neither phone, email nor even telegrams exist.
Ronway: He can scarce dispatch troops here before silencing the cries of dissent within his own ranks.
Ronway: We cannot let such chance escape us!
Leonard: There will be those in Baramus with no stomach for fighting, and others who would sooner leave things as they are.
Leonard: Your task will be to win them to our cause.
Ronway: They grow weary of fighting, else they would rally more readily.
Ronway: I can think of none better to wake their slumbering heroism than young heroes such as yourselves.
I like that Ronway implies that our protagonists will inspire heroism among a mostly tired, tortured populace. Either he's that out of touch with the people of Baramus, or he's deliberately trying to stir our protagonists into doing what he wants. Actually, that's exactly it.
Leonard: I shall follow at the head of a separate file bearing arms for them.
Ronway: The Gargastani hold the lands west of Tanmas, Dame Raveness will go with you in support.
Ravness: My sword is yours.
Ronway: Much rests on your young shoulders. I pray for your swift return.

Reives' entourage gets up, and slowly leaves. Ronway waits until they've all left, then speaks to Leonard.

Ronway: I'm counting on you, Leonard. Do not fail me.
Leonard: No need to worry. Our plans proceed apace.
I find it rather hilarious that even with Ravness around, Ronway has no compulsion about secretly talking to Leonard, nor does she ask about his plans.

As for this conversation, it's certainly a more polished version of the PS1 conversation, seen here. However, it's a bit telling that Ravness played so little of a role, despite acting as one of Ronway's personal guards. I mean, that's a spot reserved for his most trusted officials, like Leonard, why has she so little to say?

Besides that, I also think Ronway could have better clarified who Barbatos' enemies were. In the original, it's quite clear that he's referring to rebels within Gargastan upset by the string of defeats their province has been suffering recently. Which, of course, happened because of our protagonists' and the Zenobians' actions. It was a neat way of giving them a nice sense of impact and placing them in context of the broader world.

Anyway, Reives decides to pay Lans a visit before embarking on this endeavor.
Script:

The scene opens somewhere in Griate, at sunset. Lans wistfully looks towards the canals. Suddenly, Reives calls out to him from afar.

Reives: Sir Lanselot.

Lans turns to the direction of the voice, and Reives slowly walks towards him, until he's just a few steps away.

Lans: Ah, Reives. Tracked me down, did you?
Reives: Sir Guildus told me I'd find you here.
Lans: So you have. Please, come closer.

Reives walks until he's right adjacent to Lans, then faces him.

Lans: You look troubled. This business in Baramus disturbs you?
Reives: Sir Leonard says it will be a dangerous undertaking.
Lans: Are you frightened? That's not like you.
Reives: I am not frightened.
Lans: There's no shame in admitting fear. We are all afraid at one time or another.

Lans looks away from Reives. A moment of silence passes.

Reives: Even you?
Lans: More times than I can count. At the first ring of steel, my hands tremble with it.
Lans: But fear alone cannot kill you - it has no teeth.
Reives: It's strange. I tell myself I would gladly die for our cause.
Reives: But when faced with death, the fear is all too real.
Lans: Risking your life is one thing. Losing it is another.
Lans: The best way to aid your people is to stay alive. See the battle through to the end.
Lans: And there's your sister to think of.

A moment of silence passes. Reives turns to Lans.

Reives: What about you? Would you die to save the ones you love?

A moment of silence passes. Lans pulls out a music box, and opens it. A strangely haunting tinny melody plays.

Reives: What's that?
Lans: A music box. It belonged to my wife.
Reives:...Your wife?

A moment of silence passes. Lans eventually elaborates.

Lans: It's been four...five years now. Before the war with the empire.
Lans: They had already begun their advance, and we fled - vagrants in our own land.
Lans: My wife fell ill, and before I knew it...she was gone.
Lans: I considered following her into death. My thoughts often strayed down that path before battle.
Lans: But her music box still sang of life, and I knew it was not my time.
Lans: My burden had not yet reached its end.
Reives: I'm sorry.

Lans closes the music box, and stares at the canals. A moment of silence passes.

Lans: One as young as you should never be forced to fight. But that's not the world we live in.

Reives turns to Lans, and ponders his words.
Comparing this to the PS1 script here, I would actually say the latter works better. Having Lans directly admit that even he's afraid of battle, and convinces himself to fight by thinking that he needs to live for others, is much more impactful than him talking about somewhat abstract concepts, like fear not being able to kill you or the music box saying it wasn't his time yet. However, the PSP script still works decently fine, it's just less impactful.

And with that, I've made both scripts catch up to each other. Next time, Reives marches on towards Baramus, first on the PS1 version, then the PSP one. See you then!

Last time, Reives conducted, or rather, assisted with some negotiations with the Dark Knights, which, surprisingly, went well. But he was immediately assigned to a dangerous quest, raising a rebellion in a Gargastani controlled labor camp in Baramus. Despite his misgivings, Lans reassured him in a heartfelt chat, and he readied himself for his next task.

Today, he starts heading to Baramus. I restock on Cure herbs and get one of his Soldiers equipped with a spear first, then begin his journey.

On the way, he's interrupted by a random encounter at Tanmas Hill. Random encounters feature enemies having the same level as the highest leveled member in your party. Despite this, however, they tend to be pushovers, since very few enemies spawn in them. As such, consider them as sources of additional XP, recruits, or gear.

This particular random encounter features three Lizardmen and a single Soldier. Lizardmen are the first demihumans we've seen, and are essentially very beefy units, having lots of HP and good defensive stats. They are essentially better Soldiers, only really sacrificing INT growth for their bulkiness. However, they can't change classes, and the game generally expects your team to have multiple classes specialized in their roles, so I'm not going to pick any up.

Wait, pick them up? What do I mean?

Well, you see, our good leader Reives has the option to talk nicely to enemy units, convincing them to join. It's right here:

But of course, there's a catch. A rather big one, at that. Reives' flattery is not guaranteed to work, and infact will fail most of the time. It depends both on how healthy the persuaded unit is, and how loyal they are to their side. The more wounded they are, the more willing they are to switch sides. Conversely, the more loyal they are, the less likely they are to betray their side.

Okay, so, what's this loyalty thing I talk about? How do we learn of it?

Well...

In the unit's profile screen, checking their name gives a poorly translated expression of their current feelings towards their leader/side. No, this is not clarified anywhere. While you can somewhat make out their loyalty through said dialogue, the poor translation really dampens their meaning, and thus their function.

But that's not all. You see, when Reives does finally convince a unit to join, they're not yet under his control. So, they'll move around on their own, often attacking random units on their former side. Combine that with the aforementioned fact about wounding them to make them more likely to join, and the fact that units counter melee attacks, and it becomes quite clear why recruiting new units is a pain.

And that's still not all. Units that are wounded while recruiting will have lower loyalty to Reives, proportionate to how wounded they were prior to being recruited. Yes, loyalty exists for the player team too. And while the enemy can't persuade them over in combat, they can and will ditch him if their loyalty drops enough. I'll describe player team loyalty in detail later, but suffice to say, it's another complicated system that doesn't come up often, and is more trouble than it's worth.

Somewhere during that battle, Canopus gained a level. He remains one of my best units, as you can see here.

Well, that's enough for now. Next time, Reives actually gets into new territory, as he marches towards Baramus. See you then!

Good to see this still going, especially since I've been eyeing the newest port and wondering if it may be the best of all worlds.

Thanks. Glad to see you still around too, likewise. Hope to see more of the Laxius Powers LP someday!

Last time, Reives' entourage set off for Krizar, only to run into a random encounter. Of course, this gave me a great opportunity to explain them, as well as a few other game mechanics. Today, they continue their journey, and run into the first stop of their route - Lake Bordo.
Script:

The camera shifts to the enemy, who are right across the swamp. Their commander, a Knight, speaks.

Lexent: I never expected to see the Walstanians here! They have amassed quite a few troops... This could be bad...
Lexent: Lord Barbatos doesn't understand.
Lexent: I keep telling him that it's crucial to protect the front line in this area.

A soldier to his far left attempts to retreat, but Lexent catches sight of him.

Lexent: Hey you! Are you running away!?
Lexent: Get back here now or face the consequences!

The soldier rushes back to his position, and Lexent continues addressing his troops.

Lexent: Troops, do not allow them to cross over Lake Bordo! Charge!
Ah, it seems like the Gargastani armies are still in low spirits over the capture of Amorika, and then Denim's entourage caught them by surprise. That bodes well.

My first steps for this map is to form a solid frontline with Reives, Canopus, and Voltel(our knight). Everyone else takes positions behind them to support the-

Or that would be the plan, if not for this. It turns out, generic units in most encounters are set to the same level as that of the highest leveled member in your party. Who happens to be Reives. Naturally, his team can't hope to beat the entire enemy squadron with a level disadvantage, so it's time to train them again!

And yes, this is mostly a poorly thought out attempt to discourage grinding over the opposition, which, ironically, just leads to more grinding. Thankfully, once we get far enough into the game, levels will gradually stop mattering as much, as there will be tools to dislodge or negate enemies more effectively. But we're not there yet, and so need to, well, deal with it.

Thankfully, a random encounter on the way made the task much quicker, though at the expense of many herbs - Lizardmen are pretty tough after all, even without a level advantage! Once everyone is on par with Reives, level wise, I take the fight again.

The first move is still to set up a strong frontline with Canopus, Reives and Voltel. The spearwoman approaches first, so they focus on her, with the Archer(with a capital A) Sara hurling arrows at her. The other units provide cover fire too, and it takes little time to put her down:

Skirmishes start to break out on the left and right flanks as units from both sides draw nearer. I bring the spear wielding Soldier, Pat, to the front line. I also let Reives retreat momentarily to recover from his wounds. Reives' units start taking some wear, but eventually, things begin to turn in their favor, as the enemy's left flank starts crumbling. However, Lexent himself proves to be quite a fearsome foe, with his powerful strikes nearly taking half the HP of most of my units!

Fortunately, he ended up focusing most of his attention on Vice, and I gave him enough leeway to avoid any serious harm to Reives' units. Appropriately enough, Pat finishes him off.
Lexent: This is why I kept telling him.
Lexent: Lord Barbatos, curse you!!
And with that, Reives pushes on forward. Join us next time as we-

What's that? Reives' units can change classes now? Yup, that's exactly what's happening.

Well, join us next time as we take a more in depth at the classes, and then proceed forward with Reives' mission. See you then!

So, I've been pondering this ever since it was brought up, but I wish to hear your thoughts: While I think the prologue(from here to here) is well done, and establishes the situation at hand excellently, people have pointed out that there's a long gap between starting the game and getting control over a team for a real fight. What do you think? Do you have any possible solutions for this? Or is the prologue fine as it is?

It's time to move on and look at the classes Reives' party can pick!
Knight

Exactly what you would expect - they are sturdier and physically stronger than Soldiers, but sacrifice magical stat growth. They are also noticeably slower and less accurate than them. Not a bad choice for a frontline character, but Beast Tamer and Berserkers are better for the role.

Wizard

Also exactly what you would expect - they have better magical proficiency than Soldiers, at the cost of significant physical strength. They are also slower and less accurate, but accuracy doesn't matter much for most spells. What does matter is that they can't climb as well as other male classes here, which makes them vulnerable to getting trapped.

Beast Tamer

They're basically Knights, but sturdier, at the cost of more magical stat growth and accuracy. They can also boost the performance of friendly Beast units in a three tile radius around them. But don't get too excited - all this really means is buffing Gryphons and Cockatrices. Unfortunately, as is Ogre Battle tradition, regular human or demihuman units are generally more effective than large sized ones, so I'll likely not show them off much, or at all.

Ninja

Also what you expect - they are fragile speedsters who lack physical and magical strength, but are quite accurate and agile. They can nimbly climb terrain, walk on water and move one tile farther than every other class here. Used well, they can easily flank enemy forces and pick off physically weaker units. While they can cast some damaging spells, those should only be used to soften or finish off targets, nothing more. They can also attack with two melee weapons at once, but considering how fragile they are, this is more of a novelty.

Berzerker

A fairly sturdy take on the Knight, funnily enough. They are a good frontline class, but are inaccessible to Lawful male units.

Archer

As expected, they are a very agile and accurate class. They trade off some raw power for this, but are actually sturdier than Amazons. Yeah, you heard that right.

Cleric

Again, as expected, they are fragile healers who trade physical stats for magical proficiency. They are also slower than nearly every other class, can't climb well, and, unlike most female classes, can't enter water. However, they can cast healing spells, and are thus very useful. It takes them a while to totally outdo common healing items, but being able to heal at range is still very handy. Note that you want them to be Lawful, other alignment characters don't heal as well. Also, you can't have killed more than 10 units with the character.

Witch

A specialized magic caster who mainly focuses on casting non damage spells. These range from buffs to weather control to curses. The stats are about what you would expect, and, just like most magical classes, they can't enter water, though they do climb as well as "regular" classes. Ironically, due to how the game mechanics work, turning an Archer into a Witch works better for offensive uses - landing curses uses the same stats landing physical attacks does.

Valkyrie

Stronger, sturdier Amazons capable of spellcasting. They are slower than them, but their upsides as so many it's not a huge deal. This is what most female units should class change to, once the three classes above are sufficiently filled. Unfortunately, Chaotic units can't use this class.
With the class overview done, here's what I went with:

I decided to make a Beast Tamer, Ninja and Wizard out of my generic male units to cover my bases well and make the team decently versatile. For the female units, I made a Valkyrie, then thought of making the other a Witch, but turned her into an additional Archer since no useful non damaging magic was available at shops yet. I would've made a Berserker, but Vice wasn't willing to change class and I was happy having Pat as a Beast Tamer.

On the way back, Reives' team ran into a random encounter, which was mostly unremarkable save for the fact that it led to acquiring another Phlanka. Which, by itself, is also unremarkable, so.

Time for Zodo Marsh!
Script:

The scene pans over to the South of Revier's party, where a Beast Tamer, Wizard and Witch can be seen. The Beast Tamer speaks up.

Ganb: You broke through the front...?
Ganb: Just plain luck, I suppose...
Ganb: This is as good a time as any to test my babies.
Ganb: I have invested a lot of time in these beasts...
Ganb: Belda!

He whistles, and a Gryphon comes flying in from the West.

Ganb: Obda! Come!

He whistles, and another Gryphon comes flying from the West.

Ganb: Come here! It's your time to fight!

A bunch of Lizardmen burst out of the surroundings and take positions.

Ganb: Belda! Obda! Show them your power!!
Alright, this scene establishes a Beast Tamer in universe, but doesn't do much else. Also, I will outright point out that, while Ganb is introduced in the first chapter, we will meet him quite a bit later on, regardless of our story choices.

As for the map, it's rather dull. Most of it is a long, straight path filled with plodding terrain, and it takes a while for any serious fighting to break out. Also, wounding any one of the Gryphons to below a quarter of their max HP will end the fight. Which is quite likely, since they do very little damage, are rather prominent targets, and often will close in sooner than the other units.

Ganb: Belda!? Are you okay?
Ganb: This is bad. Retreat!
Ganb: You're so evil!!! How dare you harm my babies!
Ganb: I will never forgive you!

And with that rather uneventful fight out of the way, all that remains is Baramus itself! Join me next time as we assault the city and hopefully incite a rebellion there!

It is time to march onto Baramus itself!
Script:

It is quiet. A single soldier is seen patrolling the roads of Baramus at night. Suddenly, he hears sounds of troops approaching, and turns to its source. It happens to be Reives' army, approaching from the North!

Shocked, the soldier exclaims.

Soldier: Who are they? Uh oh...is that the Liberation Army!? The Liberation Army is here!

A bunch of soldiers emerge from the surrounding houses, and rush into battle formation.
Short, snappy, to the point-this mission's introduction. And its objective, too.

As demonstrated in the introduction, Reives' party starts at an extremely advantageous position. The trick then is mostly in holding it. Anyone wielding bows is extremely useful; indeed, my two Archers and my Ninja nearly shot one of the enemy soldiers to death in the first few turns itself. The melee units should serve to hold the streets. Once your formation is setup, keeping these in mind, the mission should be trivial. Considering pulling out people who level up during the fight, though - most regular enemies scale based off your highest level character, and given certain future events, this could make a fight far harder than it needs to be.

I instead opted to make it an impromptu training session, pushing as many people to level 7 off Pat as possible. Canopus got to level 7 first, so he became a training dummy too. In fact, he worked better in the role, because of how sturdy his class is. It was arduous work, but as more characters leveled up, it picked up pace, and paid off.

Reives: It will be a while before our reinforcements get here.
Reives: Let's assemble the group leaders. We will tell the captives our plan and they can decide whether to join us or not.
Script:

A dinghy, run down room enters focus. Reives, Vice and Kachua are seen looking over the newly rescued slaves, most of whom look elderly. Vice suddenly addresses them.

Vice: What are you thinking!?
Vice: I didn't come all the way here just to do that!
Vice: You might as well tell them that they should just stay slaves! This Liberation Army is pointless!
Kachua: Don't get so excited, Vice.
Kachua: I can't even hear myself think with you ranting and raving like that!!
So, first off, I love that the scene starts with Vice abruptly launching into an angry outburst at the two protagonists. That by itself conveys the gravity of the situation in very few words.
One of the people below gets up and speaks.
Old man: What is the use of fighting?
Old man: Fighting only creates hatred.
Old man: We would rather have things the way they are.
Old man: At least we will have food and we don't have to be involved in war.
The old man's dialogue, meanwhile, succinctly conveys the attitude of the slaves-they're tired and have lost all hope, having endured years of drudgery and humiliation. They see no point in rebelling, and only seek stability in their lives, even if under cruel masters.
Vice: You pathetic excuse for a man! As long as you stay here, you're nothing but livestock for Gargastan!
Vice: Don't you want freedom? Don't you want to live like a man? Where is your pride!?

An old woman gets up and responds.

Old woman: If you don't do anything, our peace will be maintained.
Old woman: I don't care about the Liberation Army. It is all the same. We will always be the outcasts.
Old woman: My son used to say the same things you do now.
Old woman: But he died in the war half a year ago.
Old woman: Can you bring him back!?
I like how the old woman firmly responds to Vice's impassioned, frustrated call to action by reminding him that people with similar passion had perished in the earlier war. It's an effective depiction of the futility of poorly directed action, even if coupled with sincere determination.
Old man: Please leave us alone.
Old man: Nobody wants to fight.
Old man: Besides, how can you be so sure that you will win. I don't care who you are.
Old man: We don't want any part of it!

Leonard suddenly enters the room. He immediately turns to Reives and speaks.

Leonard: I apologize for being late...
Leonard: Can I talk with you for a moment?
Reives silently follows him, as he leaves the room.

Outside, it is raining heavily. The two slowly walk in front of the house they emerged from, and Leonard addresses Reives while still facing away from him.

Leonard: I heard what happened.
Leonard: It seems that you had a difficult time persuading them.

Reives silently bows his head in shame. Leonard turns halfway towards him, and continues.

Leonard: It's not your fault.
Leonard: I knew that this was going to happen...

He completely turns to Reives, and stares at him silently for a few moments. He then continues.

Leonard: Listen carefully... You are going to massacre the entire town.
And there we have it, the first major twist of the game. And arguably, also the most impactful. Reives was always set up for failure, he only ever had a slim chance of inciting revolt. With that chance now gone, he is offered a tough order, one that will greatly shape his personality and the rest of his journey. While doubtless this is a shocking development, it is very much consistent with Ronway's portrayal in the story. Read ahead for an explanation.

Reives gasps audibly in shock. Leonard seemingly ignores him and continues.

Leonard: This contingency was to be expected. It is Duke Ronway's order.
Reives: Why? We can't kill our own people!
Reives: Damn it! Give me a reason!!

The two stare at each other briefly, before Leonard responds.

Leonard: This is what the Duke told me...

The scene flashes back to the meeting hall in Amorika Castle, with solely Ronway and Leonard present. Duke Ronway addresses Leonard.

Ronway: If the people in Baramus revolt, then there will be no problem.
Ronway: But I know these people. They will not sacrifice their lives even with the Liberation Army's support.
Ronway: If they do not join the Liberation Army, you will disguise yourselves as soldiers of Gargastan and kill everyone.
Yeah. Ronway seeks to use the slaves as pawns for his plans, twisting the narrative to garner sympathy and support for the Walstanian cause. There were hints of this earlier, when he was overtly eager to spin his rescue into a story of inspiring Walstanian bravery, but here they take a decidedly nasty turn. This is what makes this twist brilliant-it completely subverts the surface narrative, but its roots are deep, making the entire drama quite plausible despite the huge shift.
Leonard quickly gets up and incredulously questions Ronway.

Leonard: What did you say!? Are you ordering me to murder our own people!?

He stares silently at Ronway for a moment. He turns his gaze to Leonard, and speaks.

Ronway: Calm down, Leonard. Think.
Ronway: You are intelligent enough to understand the plan.
Ronway: Look. To defeat Gargastan, the people of Walsta must become more unified than it has ever been.
Ronway: When the news of Gargastan destroying Baramus spreads, people in other districts will join us.
The dialogue wastes little time solidifying Ronway's character here, particularly his tendency to coldly draft plans involving the deaths of many people to further his cause. While there's a seed of good intention within, it's heavily undone by the sheer morbidity of the whole deal.
Leonard briefly contemplates Ronway's words, then silently takes his seat, before responding.

Leonard: But that is too...
Ronway: And of course, the Anti-government forces will see this as a means to rally and support us against Gargastan.
Ronway: Barbatos will be forced to divide his army to fight against the anti-government forces and Walsta!
Ronway: Thus we will increase our chances of winning and kill Barbatos.
The dialogue further establishes that Ronway has good reason to believe in his plan. He may be cold hearted, but he understands the situation in Gargastan well, and knows how to manipulate it for a shot at victory. He may be a terrible person, but he's not a bad strategist. This is good, because it grounds the entire setup even further and adds depth to a major character, who could otherwise be easily dismissed as just a cunning sociopath. He's meant to lead Walsta's hopes for liberation, after all.
Leonard quickly gets up again and addresses Ronway.

Leonard: But I don't think Reives will go for this...

The two contemplate this for a while. Ronway eventually responds.

Ronway: When that happens, you know what to do.

The scene fades out, and moves back to Leonard and Reives in Baramus

Leonard: Will you obey the Duke's order?
Leonard: Otherwise the future of Walsta is doomed!

Behold, one of the strongest choices of this game-and indeed, of games in general. It asks a tough question of both Reives and the player, and has far reaching implications in the story. It also comes early, meaning that there are effectively two fully realized story branches. It would not be exaggeration to say that few story choices come close to being so brilliantly realized.

So, what will Reives pick? Will he side with Ronway's plan, or will he choose to openly defy him? And what will become of Kachua and Vice? That will have to wait, as I cover the equivalent journey in the PSP remake next. See you all then!