Outer Wilds - An Expedition of Repetition

Put your Let's Plays in here.
I have a Patreon. If you like what I do, please consider offering your support.

Outer Wilds is an exploration game set in a fictional galaxy, that was released in May 2019. You find yourself caught up in a mystery, and you explore other planets for clues as to what's going on and maybe what you can do about it. It's all fairly vague, and up to you to find the pieces of the puzzle, and then figure out how to put them all together. And it stresses me out. And I am constantly re-evaluating my self-worth.

This game was recommended to me by my friend P0LARMic, who also recommended that I go into the game knowing as little about it as possible. Which is what I have done. Aside from knowing the name and knowing it might have something to do with space, I'm going into this with no other knowledge whatsoever.

An expansion to the game was released in late 2021, titled Echoes of the Eye. This DLC is pretty much more Outer Wilds, with all the mystery and vague clues and exploration and whatnot, and that's a good thing. The game itself has warned me that the DLC might be scary, so I will now warn you that the DLC might be scary.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

End of Base Game Bonus Videos
Image - Doing Stuff with P0LARMic
Image - Finishing up Achievements

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

End of DLC Bonus Videos
Image - Doing Stuff with P0LARMic (Again)
Image - Finishing up Achievements (Again)
Last edited by James Plays Games on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 44 times in total.

Tonight, my friend Michael and I are going to be streaming We Were Here. You may or may not be familiar with my thread for the series. The plan is that we will be replaying the first three games, but switching roles from when we recorded the LPs for them. This will all be leading up to the release of the 4th game in the series.

Please come. It will be starting somewhere around 8 or 9pm EST. I will be posting in the streaming thread and on Twitter when we go live.

https://www.twitch.tv/p0larmic
https://www.twitch.tv/jamesplaysgamesttv

All of these episodes have been great to watch. It really shows how the initial learning phase works well because you can kind of shoot off in any direction, and be almost sure to find something new. Then as more of the pieces of the puzzle get filled in, you'll likely find things that are sort of familiar from seeing them before (e.g. you knew exactly what to do to set Gabbro's 'Unknown Frequency' without hardly thinking about it) and be able to build your knowledge. I look forward to seeing how things start to come together as the sections of the jigsaw begin to connect.

It is true that the game really encourages exploration, but the nature of it makes experimentation much harder. The penalty for dying is rather high, especially right now when you don't always have a guaranteed way of getting back to the place where you were. Even when you do, it's still a fair amount of time for you to get back on the ship.