Watch Them Burn - Let's play Firework

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Music: 零落成泥 (Dust to Dust)

Yeah, it's a cross-post from SA. No, I feel very sorry about that.

What is Firework?
Firework is a short oriental horror game with around 3 hours of gameplay developed by Chinese independent developer group Shiying Studio. It's made from RPGMaker MV, available in steam in both Simplified Chinese and English. An adaptation of this game into television media (the details are still kept secret) was also announced last September.
”Steam Page Description” wrote: An accidental fire at a funeral forces the police to re-investigate a closed case of massacre. Lin Lixun participates the re-investigation by chances. As the investigation goes deeper, the past of the victims gradually emerges. However, the case becomes more bewildering.
As an oriental horror game, this game has far less outright scary moments (though it does still have a few jump scares), and leans more on the atmospheric and psychological creepiness. Those kind of games invoke more about familiar fears of the unknown, and of misfortune and death in Chinese beliefs, though elements like funeral decorations, karmic retribution, and so on... Even with the decent art of this game, they can still be hard to deliver to people who are unfamiliar with those elements. I will be doing my best to deliver some of them.

Well, but even as an oriental horror game, Firework is not a very scary or puzzling game overall. Instead, it quickly changes into some sort of Visual Novel or Walking Simulator at around Chapter 3.
......and a good one on that, in my opinion. Just read and enjoy the (maybe predictable) story.

Why Watch Them Burn?
Because I had that awful idea to use a reference that no one will get for the title of the SA thread.
About this title - you will see the reason later in the game.

How will this LP be running?
This will be a screenshot LP with occasional GIFs and my comments about some minor cultural and social background knowledge and random ramblings from time to time. I’ll also update the of video playthrough without commentary at the end of each chapter.

Different from SA, this LP will have one long update every Tuesday here instead. Feel free to let the updates pile up and read them at your own pace.
The first 4 chapters will be updated once per week.
The last 3 chapters will be updated altogether at once.

The gameplay is fully recorded and most of them are already posted in SSLP text poster. If you can somehow find them feel free to get yourself spoiled.

Will this LP get choices?
Sadly, no. This game is rather linear in its progress: a single story line, a single ending, no branches, no choices.
The game has also been announced to have an adaption into television media last September, so you can, well, just read this LP as if you're watching some sort of movie.

Spoiler Policy
Do as you wish, in spoiler tags. Though I seriously doubt anyone would know this game beforehand to spoil it.

Trigger Warning
This LP will contain flashing GIFs. It may cause discomfort and trigger photosensitive epilepsy.
As this is a horror game, there are a few scenes of jump scare (though they're mostly mild).

Writer’s Notes
- Please don't hesitate to leave criticism if you have any.
- This game is more on the atmospheric side and may have minor plot holes. Please… well, please be a little more open-minded about them.

One last thing…
Image In game lines will be in italics.
Image And comments from the OP will be left in normal fonts.

Table of Contents

Character Info

If you take a dead person's belongings, you will owe a debt to the dead.

‘On the seventh day after the murder, residents with landlines received a call in the middle of the night...’

This is karma!

every word I write on my exercise book……will sprout and grow into a flower field.
Last edited by Rincewind on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:08 am, edited 11 times in total.

Character Info

I read an English review of this game complaining “The names of the characters are hard to memorize”, but sadly since this game is set in a remote village in 2000s China (and has quite a few reflections of that age), they cannot be localized into English names as well – so I’m leaving a list of names and brief introductions of each Character here.
In Chinese, Surnames are put in front of names. All the following names follow this rule. We’re referring most of the characters by their surnames in comments as they should be easier to remember; but the in-game text tends to refer to them by full name so please endure a little :x
Also, this post may contain spoilers till the latest update. Not a very big problem yet, but if spoiler tags began to show up in this post, please don't open them unless you've caught up with the newest update.

The Stage
Qingtan Town
Our main stage, a remote and underdeveloped village in the mountains. Qingtan (青潭) means “green (or blue) pond”.

Qinghe City
The nearest city to Qingtan Town. Qinghe (清河) means “clear river” – a sidenote: the Qing refers to different Chinese characters in their original names.

The Cops
Image Lin Lixun (林理洵) , or Lin
Our protag. A rookie detective who is able to see ghosts.
His name (理洵) means "rational and honest", it can also be a homonym to "searching for the truth". His family name means "the woods".

Image Zheng Ming (郑明) , or Zheng
Lin’s colleague. A somewhat more experienced policeman than Lin.
His name means "light". When read with his surname together, they can also be a homonym to "prove".

Image Tian Xiangrong (田向荣) , or Tian
The person on the lower right of the portrait. The head of Tian family. One of the victims of the familicide.
Xiangrong (向荣) means “thriving”.
(Chapter 2 Spoiler) He worked secretly as a relic broker, introducing clients to tomb robbers.

Image He Guilan (何桂兰) , or He
The person on the left of the family portrait. The wife of Tian Xiangrong. One of the victims of the familicide.
Gui (桂, osmanthus) and Lan (兰, Orchid) are two different kind of flowers.

Tian Yu (田宇) , or Yu
The person on the upper right of the family portrait. The son of the Tian family's head. Died of epileptic seizure two years earlier.
Yu (宇) means "sky".

Tian Fangfang (田芳芳) , or Fangfang
The person on the center of the family portrait. The daughter of Zhao, and the granddaughter of Tian family. One of the victims of the familicide.
Fang(芳) is usually used to refer to fragrance of the flowers, or the flowers themselves when it appears in names.

Zhao Xiaojuan (赵晓娟) , or Zhao
The only member not in the family portrait. The daughter-in-law of Tian family’s head, wife of Yu. Suspect of the familicide who committed suicide at the spot.
Her name does not have particular meaning - it merely used the characters that are often used in woman's names. Strictly speaking, it's a character describing the beauty of a woman...

Other Characters
Image Ye Jingsan (叶敬山) , or Ye / Dr. Ye
A doctor of the local clinic.
His name (敬山) means “respect the mountains”. His family name means "Leaf".
(Chapter 1 spoiler) He failed to save Yu from epileptic seizure, and is therefore smashed by a group of people led by Tian and had his ribs broken.

Image Chen Qingsui (陈青穗) , or Chen / Ms. Chen
A volunteer teacher who came to the town half a year ago. She is investigating the Tian familicide case on her own.
Her name (青穗) means green ears of rice (which are not ripe yet).

Wang Jincai (王金财)
The owner of a small general store. Also the dead whose corpse get burnt at the funeral.
His name (金财) means “Gold and money”. A straightforward name showing the desires of whoever gave him that name……
Last edited by Rincewind on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Prelude - Debt

A couple of usual stuff displays as we open the game.

Shiying Studio, the developer of the game. Their name means “picking up flowers”.

The publisher of the game.

A warning for horror game.

And a simple manual on controls.

And finally, our title screen. A willow, some shades of mountains in the background, nothing else in particular. Select “New Game” will start our game.
Title BGM: 零落成泥 (Dust to Dust)
Most parts of this game uses royalty free music or licensed music for commercial use, but there are also several musics original to this game. The title BGM is one of them.
Most of those BGMs used in game are also background music that are used to set the horror atmosphere, so I'm only listing important or drastic changes of music in this LP.

The usual “all happenings in this game is fictional” warning. A warning about autosave also displays before this.

A weird background music begins to play (this one is licensed instead of original) while a quote shows up on screen……
Ghosts relish devouring sins, possessing sinners,
Crushing their bones to suck their marrows,
And imposing eternal suffering on them.

- Mantra of Suffering
It is supposed to be a quote from Avatamsaka Sutra, but I didn’t find anything similar anywhere. Let’s just treat it as some random lines made up by the author.

The screen slowly fades in to a scene where two policemen seems to be talking.
The poster on the street light pole looks like some sort of advertisement for traditional cure.
The slogan painted on the brick wall reads Believe in Science, not Superstition.

The street light flickers for a moment before the policeman on the left turns around and speak.

Image Image This is just my luck. How did a perfectly functioning car break down all of a sudden?
It seems his name is Zheng Ming (郑明). Zheng is his surname, while Ming(明) means Light. His name is also a homonym of “Proving” if read altogether.
Chinese names can be hard to memorize – so we’ll be just calling (almost) everyone by their surnames from now on.

Image Zheng, the informant is still waiting in town. Do you want to leave the car here?
And the other policeman is named Lin Lixun (林理洵). His name means “rational and honest”. It can also be read as a homonym to “searching for the truth”.

Image There’s no need to rush. Dealing with arson is not our responsibility.
Image This is just great. My car broke down. Captain Lu will yell at me!
Image Image Captian Lu seems like a nice person…
Image You just transferred here, so you have no idea how Captain Lu is like. If she finds out the car had broken down, she will say…
Image ‘I told you to take good care of the cars, didn’t I?’
Image ‘If you are chasing after a dangerous gangster…what are you going to do if the car breaks down?’
Image ‘Can you imagine the consequences?!’
Image Image
Image I’ll try to fix the car. I’m good at this.
Image Alright, Zheng. Thanks.
Image We’re colleagues, no need to be so courteous with me.
Image Ah, the flashlight is almost dead.
Image Lixun, can you bring me a battery? There should be a small store on the street.
Image Fine.

After that, Zheng goes back to his car, and Lin turns around. It seems this young policeman is our protag here.

The streetlight flickers once again.

Half an hour ago, a coffin caught on fire during a funeral in Qingtan Town.
The informant claimed that it was arson.
Our superior sent us to investigate the matter.
This is my first time working as a criminal investigator.

And we can move freely as Lin after he had his recollections.

The game uses magnifying glass icon to show what objects can be interacted with…and our tutorial object seems to be the slogan brushed on the wall.

“Believe in science, not superstition.”
Image Qingtan Town is a secluded town in the mountains. I heard they had retained many superstitious customs.

A more accurate translation would be reject superstition here.
The name of the town, Qingtan (青潭), means “green pond”. The slogan on the wall was common among rural areas of China, mostly painted in the last century (along with other slogans advocating family planning, treating female children equally, and so on). Some of them can still be seen on the walls if you happen to drive through the mountains.

The atmosphere was clear when we were outside the town, but as we step inside the fog seems to have gathered a bit. The red light flickers for a couple times before we get closer.
The board reads “Cigar, Liquor, and Non-staple Foods” (which usually means Snacks in the context) – it seems this is the small general store our colleague mentioned. Although we don’t see any person, and a basin is put on the counter instead……

There’s a basin full of paper ash on the counter. The ember glows from time to time.

……A burning basin. Which should usually be used to burn joss papers to the deceased.
Well, we’re having a funeral in town so it’s nothing particularly strange.
”Joss papers” wrote:In Chinese traditions, people would burn papercrafts (mostly money, but occasionally also other items like house models) to their dead relatives in funeral, festivals and other special days; They believe the dead can receive them as real items in the afterworld this way.
Joss papers may be burnt in the place where funeral was hold, in front of the grave, or randomly at the side of the road. It’s less practiced nowadays because of the harmful effects to health of the fumes, and the potential danger of a fire.
The light flickers again.
Image Image

So the store owner seems to be here after all…
Image I’ll take an AA battery.
Small Store Owner Here you go, two yuan.

The writings on the battery are “Mercury-free Alkaline Battery, Strong Power and Environment Friendly”

Hmm, seems we cannot proceed any further for now. Zheng is probably waiting for us……
The face of the store owner is also revealed. A normal middle-aged man, despite looking a little pale. The basin still burns in front of him.
If we talk about him again, only a sentence of message will be shown: The store owner looks at the counter emotionlessly.

Looks like our colleague is still working with the car.
Image Zheng, I got the battery.
Image Thanks buddy, I’ll wrap up here, you can go and check out the scene first.
Image Since you’re new here, you can take this chance to familiarize yourself with the place.
Image Yes.

And we can freely move again after the short conversation. Going back to Zheng and he will tell you:
Image The funeral is held at the center of the town. You’ll get there if you walk straight toward the right.
We should probably do exactly that.

Oh, it seems the store owner has gone back to sleep.

While the fire is still burning.

We walk past a clinic after the general store. The poster on the wall was an ad encouraging adults to have their children vaccinated – a reflection to the child immunization policy at the end of 1990s.
Some credits also fades in as we go further.

Image The funeral shed is on the right.

We stopped at the brick wall of a shop with “Cabinet of Colored Lanterns” plaque. The plaque indicates it’s a shop for lanterns and probably some other decorative items.
The white lanterns hanging over it are mainly used in funerals. This shop probably sells funeral supplies as well.

There is an obituary posted on the bulletin board, but it’s too dim for us to read.

Wait. Isn’t the sight a bit too familiar?

Image Didn’t I pass this place a while ago?
Image ……

Another part of the credits.
……and a lump appears on the wall.

Blood oozes from the wall.
Image Image

And we are back to the start yet again when we reached the end of this street.

Another part of credits. Something is stuck on the wall along with blood……and when did the lantern became red?
Blood oozes from the wall, there are two bank notes stuck on it.
Image Image That’s the money I used for buying the battery just now…
Image What’s going on…?

The fourth loop.
…And a door appeared on the brick wall this time.

A rusty door appeared on the wall.
Image Image

And the title of this chapter reveals as we step in.

Okay, let's take a closer look to the weird room we've just entered...
So this shop really sells funeral supplies. We can see paper dolls and wreaths lined here – and they’re both used in funerals. We also have papercrafts for non-funeral occasions but that’s another topic.
On the center is the spirit tablet (a sort of placard representing deities or ancestors put for offering) for the heavens, the earth, the emperor, the relatives, and the teachers(天地亲君师). They’re the objects of traditional Confucian worship. We no longer have emperors nowa, but the tradition still remains.

Some creepy paper dolls. They look as if they will come to life at any moment.
It seems the first paper doll on the right is holding something like a book or a note…

But it’s too dark to read.
Maybe we can steal the candle on the table to provide lighting…come on, no one sees it anyway. And we’re the cop ourselves.

Hmm…we find a piece of paper when we investigate the table.

Wang Jincai, the small store owner, had passed away from illness. Please deliver six wreaths, two paper dolls, and two candles in 3 days.
October 18

It's an order of decorative items for the funeral of a man named Wang Jincai. The name is straightforward as Jincai(金财) means "gold and riches".
Image It was signed two days ago…
Image So the funeral the informant mentioned was for the small store owner?
Image Who was the person in the small store just now?
Image ……

We perhaps have met a ghost.

There is an unlit candle on the table.
The game took the candle without asking us for confirmation. So we are stealing citizen’s possessions as a cop…wow.
Normally the candle for daily use (for example, when the power goes off) are white; red candles are reserved for rituals and special events such as wedding (but in funerals we still use white candles). Well, the color of the light they gave off are the same anyway.

Image I have to find a way to light this candle.
We borrow fire from the other one. This small event seems to serve as a tutorial to the light puzzles in this game.

Anyway, we’ve got the light in hand.
Image I can see clearly now. I will look around the house.

The paper doll is holding a ledger in his hand.
So it’s a ledger. Well, perfectly normal in a shop.

September 23
Wang Xiufen borrowed 500g eggs and owed Wang Jincai RMB 2.50.

October 4
Xie Rongfa borrowed a bottle of soy sauce and owed Wang Jincai RMB 15.

…It seems to be the note of the small store owner. Man, I can feel his miserliness.

October 20
Lin Lixun burrowed a battery and owed Wang Jincai RMB 2.

Image !!??
Image It’s today’s date…Why is my name on it?
Image Image

Some items can be viewed again on the menu page, press X to open the menu page.
This ledger is kept in our inventory as some sort of record for later reads.

The menu looks like this. It’s really not something we’ll usually open unless we’re stuck in the puzzles. We probably will never see it again in this LP.

The face of the scholar paper doll reveals to be...destroyed after we took the ledger from his hand.

And this seems to be it; we cannot go any further in this map. The creepy paper dolls still seem to be able to move at any time.
This game is quite straightfoward in exploration: a door is inaccessible unless it's shown open; investigating objects without manigfying glass will not show give any result; and what appears to be a dead end is a dead end.

The paper doll falls to the ground.
There is nothing else worth investigating here, so we head out.

The door disappeared.
Image Image

With light in hand, maybe we can read the obituary now. There also seems to be some paper placed on the chair.

An obituary is on the bulletin board right in the center.
A volunteer teacher of Qingtan Primary School had passed away at the age of 27.
--Culture and Education Office of Qingtan Municipal Government

The name is blackened out.

Poor volunteer teacher. Your kindness will be remembered.
Volunteer Teaching in China wrote:The development status of different areas in China can vary very much. While children in developed areas receive good education, rural areas may struggle with educational resources - especially teachers - and that's what volunteer teaching is for.
Many college students and young adults actively participate in teaching in underdeveloped areas as a part of their volunteer activity. Some teachers in more developed areas would also go to rural areas to teach for a period of time as an aid. But life in those places are not easy, and other issues may occur...that's another topic.
And the book on the chair……well it turned out to be not a book but a piece of paper.

Vol. 1: Debt to the Dead
If you take a dead person's belongings, you will owe a debt to the dead; if you don't return in time, maladies will befall you, or worse, tragedies will befall your whole family.
Return them as soon as possible to avoid this catastrophe.

Seems like some sort of local ghost folklore, or superstition. This piece of paper is also saved to our inventory after the initial read.

And two pieces of ancient money appears on the wall……

Image Image

Blood oozes from the wall. Two pieces of ancestor money are stuck on the wall.
Ancestor money is the most common type of joss paper we've introduced earlier. This one seems to be the traditional ancient coin type.
……So, it seems not only we’ve met a ghost, but we’re now also owing him money. Luckily we get some sort of change from the wall....

As we’re sending the money to the deceased, we’ll go by the traditional way: burning them to the dead.

The ancestor money was burned to ash.
Image The road is clear now.

The game hints us that the looping of the map is now removed. Time to go to the funeral. For real.

We hear the laughter of a child as something new appears beside the bulletin……

The paper doll is pointing to the right.
And that's where we'll be going.

So, this time we’re really going into the funeral shed, as we see a common sight of Chinese funeral: white lanterns waving in the air, wreaths with the word Libation in the center; and a couplet stuck on both sides of the door. It reads (this couplet was read from right to left, as more traditional ones do):
Though your body has departed, your voices and smiles remain; Though your life has ended, your virtues stay.
And the horizontal scroll reads A Sorrowful Lament.

Going into the door reveals the room where the coffin was in. Portrait of the deceased, incense and white candle, paper doll, wreath with the word Libation, ancestor money scattered on the ground, and……
The traces of burn on the right side of the coffin.

Image Image
Image Where did the bereaved family go?
Image ……
Image I will investigate the scene first.

Normally the family and some other close relatives of the deceased will keep watching beside the coffin for a whole night when a funeral is held, but we don’t see anyone here.

The candles on the table are flickering with red light, illuminating the black and white portrait of the deceased.
Image That’s the person I met at the small store just now…

The paper doll turned black from the smoke.
The paper doll on the left simply reads A creepy paper doll.

Since no informant is here for us to ask, we should probably directly investigate the "crime scene" of the coffin fire...

And a phone reveals itself on the coffin lid. The # and * marks on the buttons in the bottom line are replaced with the word libation.
Image …………

Where do you want to investigate?

> The coffin lid
There is a telephone on the coffin lid. Following the phone cable, the handset can be seen inside the coffin.
Image The last number dialed was…110…
Image The call was made at around the same time the police received the report…

> Inside the coffin
The body is lying in the coffin; you can vaguely see that the clothes have been burned to pieces.
The inside of the coffin has been blackened from the smoke, it’s exuding a strong smell.
Image It’s the smell of pyrotechnic powder. Why is that in the coffin?

……The title call, Firework. Someone set a firework inside the coffin?

> Around the coffin
The wreath and the paper doll near the opening are blackened from the smoke, but there is no trace of burning.
Image The ignition point should be inside the coffin, the fire didn’t spread outside.

And that’s all of it.

Image The scene is a bit weird, it does not seem like a normal fire…
Image I have to tell Zheng about this situation.

We shall head back.

The entrance of the funeral stays the same.

……The lantern in front of the lantern store was its normal white again, and the obituary on the bulletin and the chair beside it disappeared.

Nothing special happens when we walk past the brick wall either. It seems the streets are turned back to its perfect normal sight……

…But our protag saw something.

——A lady with red hairband standing in front of the small general store.

When we reached the store, no one is there again. Never mind, we're going back to report.

…It should be the way back. Why? Anyway, we have no way but to turn around……

A paper doll has appeared on the road.

…and forth again……

The wreath is blocking the way.

…We are stuck in this small store.
There is a ledger covered in ash on the counter.
Image Image

October 20

***, you are next.

Debt Debt Debt

Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt Debt

DebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebtDebt

You can’t escape

The portrait of the deceased suddenly appeared. His face is covered with what seemed to be Chinese characters. There are also joss papers scattered around on the ground.
The word “debt” is written all over the portrait.
Image ……

Other areas do not seem to be affected.

And the road ahead is clear again now. Let’s head forth…

Our colleague and the police car gone. We see a hearse decorated with white cloth and wreath instead.

The back door of the hearse suddenly opens.
Image ……

And the screen blacks out while we’re getting closer to the car, revealing……

The title.

This is the end of prelude. Reaching the title unlocks the achivement "鬼在人心". It does not have a localization in the achievement page, but should roughly mean "The ghosts lies within people's hearts."
Here is a video link of my game play record without comment, some of the creepiness is really hard to be delivered with screenshots alone, so do have a look if you are interested.
Last edited by Rincewind on Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Chapter 1 - The Telephone

Right after the reveal of the title, we begin to see a conversation between an unknown person…

And our protagonist Lin.
Image What do you see this time?
Image I see a white mist.
Image Anything other than white mist?
Image There’s also a car.
Image It’s a black hearse, driving very slowly.
Image I want to get closer to it.
Image But it always get further away from me.

Image Who’s the hearse for?
Image That hearse…
Image Is for my dad.

Seems like our protag is talking to a therapist or someone similar.
The screen fades out to black after this short conversation.

Image Lixun…
Image Lixun…

Image Oh, you’re finally awake.
Image Image
Image Is this…the clinic? Why am I here?
Image Did you forget? You fainted near the funeral shed.
Image I fainted…
Image You scared the living hell out of me.
Image Luckily, the clinic is nearby. The doctor examined you and said you fell asleep.
Image Image I’m sorry. I had this problem since I was a kid…
Image I’m sorry for making you worried…
Image It’s okay. Captain Lu told me about your condition.
Image Don’t take it to heart, take your time to adjust your work.
Image Yes…

…So we were caught by the usual trick in horror games – a faint. I wonder where that near the funeral shed refers to though…the mysterious woman, the portrait covered with the word Debt, the hearse, they were all hallucinations?

Image Image by the way, do you have any news about the fire at the funeral?
Image I had asked the person-in-charge. It was caused by a half-burned paper that had fallen onto a wreath.
Image But I’ve investigated the scene, the fire started from inside the coffin.
Image That’s impossible. The coffin was closed.
Image Image
Image Additionally, the person-in-charge did not pursue the case. He didn’t even know who called the police.
Image Some mischievous kid probably did it.
Image Was no one else at the scene during the incident?
Image Yeah, the deceased was the owner of the small store, Wang Jincai. He got divorced a few years ago.
Image The man was very stingy, his relatives stopped contacting him a long time ago.
Image No one cared about his death, so residents in town pitied him. They donated some money to hold a funeral for him.
Image Image
Image Lixun, don’t trouble yourself with this case. Go and get some rest.
Image Alright…

That was strange. We saw the coffin lid half-open, and a telephone placed on it…

The scene fades out as Zheng lift, and while the screen is black, we hear the ringing of a telephone.
It’s a little hard to notice, but there is a telephone on the desk to our right.

Image The doctor isn’t here, what’s the matter?
No one responds to our question. Instead, we hear the sound of a rope tightening.
Image Image
Image Hello? Can I help you?

The sound of a rope tightening can be heard again.
…And then the dial ended. Only monotone beep can be heard.

The person on the other end hung up.
Image Image

The room falls to its usual silence again. We shall probably get out.

A bag of IV solution is hanging on the infusion stand.
Image Image
When I was a kid, I used to get these random fevers frequently. The doctors at the hospital could not find the cause of it.
My grandma knew a shaman. She said I was born at a Yin date at a Yin time, so I attract spirits naturally.
The last time I saw the shaman was at Dad’s funeral. She sighed when she saw me and said a few words.
‘It’s heaven’s will that you can see ghost. You will become a policeman and help the dead finds justice.’

So our protag seems to have the abilities of a spirit medium. No wonder we were seeing all those strange hallucinations in the prologue…
The Yin he mentioned was from Yin Yang theory. There’s no need to delve too deep into the theory, but Yin is usually associated with negative energy; therefore people with strong affiliation to Yin are believed to attract ghosts. The traditional fortune-telling in China also places great importance on the date and the time of birth, therefore the "Yin date at a Yin time".

The TV suddenly turns on with noises.

‘The following news report is about a local case…’
‘On September 15th, a family of four in Qingtan Town was found dead at home…’
‘The houseowner, Mr. Tian, his wife and granddaughter had died from rat poison. His daughter-in-law, Zhao had hung herself.’
‘The police force suspect that Zhao who had a mental health issue, had poisoned the family and hung herself…’
‘The case is under further investigation and we welcome any information from the public…’
Image Image

A familicide case. It seems to have happened a month ago (we’re currently at October 20th.)
The surname of deceased family is Tian (田); in modern China women no longer change their surnames on getting married, so their daughter-in-law’s surname remains Zhao (赵).

There’s a key next to TV.
Seems to be our key out.

We see a person with glasses and a striped shirt smoking outside. The date 20th can be seen on the calendar behind him.
The poster on the right side of the wall is a poster advocating a united fight against SARS, indicating the age we are in – early 2000s (the SARS outburst in China was in 2002).

And the title of Chapter 1 appears as we go into the smoking person’s sight.

After the title screen fades out, we begin a conversation with the smoking person.
Image Officer, how do you feel?
Image Hmm…Are you the doctor here?

Image Yes, my name is Ye Jingshan, nice to meet you.

His name, Jingshan (敬山), means “respect the mountains” – a good name for a townsfolk living in the mountains.

Image Dr, Ye, thank you for taking care of me.
Image I’m a doctor, saving people is my job.
Image By the way, I’ve never seen you around, did you transfer recently?
Image Yeah, I just checked in yesterday.
Image No wonder. Qingtan is very humid, newcomers don’t adapt easily, just make sure you get plenty of rest.

Image Do you want a smoke?
Image I’m okay, I don’t smoke.
Image You’re rare, every cop I know is a chain smoker.
Image especially the experienced ones, they can’t solve any cases without cigarettes.
Image I haven’t handled a case yet, so I can’t relate.
Image I see…
Image Oh, don’t tell anyone I smoke.
Image I always tell the old folks here to smoke less and I can’t justify it if they find out I smoke too.
Image Image
Image Dr. Ye, is that Wang Jincai’s store next door?
Image Yes…Why?
Image Nothing. I encountered something strange at the funeral, so I’m just trying to understand the situation.
Image Do you know how Wang Jincai died?
Image (Exhales a trail of smoke) His body was found several days after he died. I haven’t seen the corpse, so it’s hard to say.
Image The people in town are saying that he died horribly, as if he was killed by a ghost.
Image Killed by a ghost?
Image About that, it probably has something to do with the familicide that happened some time ago.
Image Are you talking about the Tian family case? I saw it on TV.
Image Yeah, after the Tian family died, Wang Jincai had told everyone that Tian’s daughter-in-law was a madwoman…
Image He said she went crazy and murdered the whole family.
Image Everyone thinks that the daughter-in-law’s spirit killed Wang Jincai because he spoke ill of her.
Image Of course, I’m a doctor, I don’t believe in such superstitions.
Image Wang Jincai had cardiovascular disease so he probably died from a heart attack…

The conversation is suddenly interrupted by a power out.
Image I think the circuit breaker tripped. I’ll go and have a look.
Image Officer, you might want to grab some candles in the black van outside.
Image OK.

Dr. Ye left after that, and we’re now alone in the pitch-black room.

A door can be faintly seen on the left.

It’s the door of the clinic. The black van Dr. Ye mentioned sits right in front of us.
A black van is parked across the road.
There are a few candles and a lighter next to the seat.

An ordinary white candle.

We can see spider web on the surface of this van…Lin seems to also have noticed something else while lighting the candle.
Image I can barely make out some boxes of fireworks in the van under the candlelight.
Image Why are there fireworks in a van belonging to the clinic?
Image ……
Image It isn’t far from the funeral shed here, Dr. Ye may know something about the fire at the funeral.

So we’re back looking for Dr. Ye. The room still looks dark even with the candle…

…A part of the wall seems to be cleaner compared to other areas.
There are traces of something that was once hung on the wall.
Image It looks like an award banner.
”Award Banner” wrote:When a patient is discharged from the hospital, sometimes their grateful family will send award banners to the hospital department they were in, expressing gratitude and praising the skills and/or morality of the medical staff. Sometimes they are addressed exclusively to the attending doctor, but more often they’re addressed to all the medical and nursing staff.
They’re usually red banners with golden text (woven or printed), looking like this (picture from the Internet).
Unlike most of the other customs mentioned in this thread, this custom hasn't seen its decline even in the current years. You may see a lot of award banners on the wall if you walk into a doctors' office of a hospital.

We're back in the room where we woke up earlier. Of course the TV is not working as the power has gone out.

The door is covered with a thick layer of spider webs.
Image Maybe there is a way to clean up the spider webs.

We burn it with our candle.

It turns out to be the back door – and we’re now in the backyard of the clinic. A willow is waving in the wind on our left.

There was a similar willow tree planted at my old house.
My grandma said the tree was the root of the Lin family and it would bless us. My dad didn’t believe it.
On the day he was buried, the willow tree whined as if it was crying.

The sound of the wind blowing willow’s leaves can be heard when we walk near the tree.

“Medicine Storage, No Entrance Allowed for Irrelevant Person”.

It seems past medical records are also stored here. One of the shelves is left open, but none of them reacts to our investigation.

There are two wires in the box. One of the wire is burnt, the other one seems functional.

A connect pipe mini game. It’s rather easy so I’ll omit the process.

(Sound of electricity)
The power is restored.

And the mysterious lady we saw earlier appears under the restored light.
Image Image
Image You are…
Image Image

Reacting to our question, the lady turns around.

Image Isn’t the case closed? What are you doing here?
Image The case?
Image ……
Image Are you new here?
Image Yeah, I just transferred here not long ago. What case are you talking about?
Image Image
Image My name is Chen Qingsui, I’m a volunteer teacher in Qingtan Primary School.

Her name looks like this - 陈青穗 - in the original language. Qingsui means "green ears of rice".
Image A month ago, my student Tian Fangfang, her mother and grand parents were found dead at home.
Image But you guys suspected that it was Fangfang’s mother who killed the whole family.
Image I know Fangfang’s mother, she wouldn’t hurt Fangfang.

The name of the granddaughter, Fangfang(芳芳), refers to fragrance of the flowers if read literally. It’s a commonly-used name for females. Her mother Zhao was the suspect of the familicide…
Image Have you found any evidence?
Image As you can see, I’m looking for it.
Image …Why are you searching for evidence in the clinic?
Image You’ll know after I find and send it to the press.
Image Image Ms. Chen, since you are a volunteer teacher here, I’m not going to put you on the spot…
Image But don’t take anything from here. It’ll be hard to deal with if someone finds out.
Image Also, I’m Lin, a criminal investigator from the Criminal Investigation Department, I’ll be around.
Image Let me know if you run into trouble.
Image ……
Image Got it.

We're heading to the right after the short talk with Ms. Chen. Talking to her again and she will respond:
Image I might find important evidence here.
Image You look weak, make sure take care of yourself, Officer.
Image Image

We see a red umbrella beside the shelves. Probably belongs to Ms. Chen.
A red umbrella dripping with water.
Image Image

We didn’t see any hints of a rain before we enter the storage.

…and yes, it isn't raining.
Image Image There are many victims in this case. Our superiors take this matter seriously.
Image Captain Lu wouldn’t have closed the case nonchalantly…
Image ……
Image I’ll collect more information about the Tian family case first.

The sound of wind caressing the willow can still be heard when we pass by.
The window on the right is also lit now that the electricity was restored…
You can see a fuzzy human-shaped figure through the window.

No human is present when we go in. The noises of the TV can be heard when we get closer.

‘There is a strange rumor about the Tian Family Murder Case…’
‘According to the town’s residents, on the seventh day after the murder, residents with landlines received a call in the middle of the night...’
On the other side, there were sounds of a rope tightening, as if a heavy object was being hung…
‘The number displayed was from the public phone market owned by the Tian family…’
‘In response to this, the police have stated it was a rumor and urged people not to spread it…’
Image Image

Public phone market is a store where multiple payphones are set in line for people to use. They were a thing before cell phones became popular, but has been long forgotten in the recent decade. There is a report writing about “the last payphone market on a street in Wuhan” back in 2013. Though it was in moonrunes Chinese, there are some decent photos of it.

The report in the news oddly corresponds to the phone call we got in the previous update, and distant phone ring can be heard right after the news. Creepy.

This isn’t the phone ringing.
Seems our phone is in another castle room.

The pitch of the ring gets higher as we enter the doctor’s office. Another phone can be seen on the table.

The phone screen shows two voicemail.
Image Image

The light flickers as we pick up the phone and hear the usual beep.

Image Hello.
Image Is that Ye Jingshan? We’re from Criminal Investigation Department.
Image You should have heard of the Tian family case, right?
Image An eyewitness said that Tian Xiangrong’s daughter-in-law, Zhao Xiaojuan was at your clinic half an hour before the incident.
Image We want to know why she was there, her diagnosis, the kind of medicine she purchased, and her mental state at that time.
Image I hope you’ll cooperate with us and call us back as soon as possible.

The first voice mail is from the police, inquiring Dr. Ye’s involvement in the case.

Image Officer, I’m Ye Jingshan.
Image Zhao Xiaojuan did come to the clinic before the incident.
Image She said her mother-in-law had a back cough and wanted to buy some medicine for coughing. She left after buying the medicine.
Image The people in the clinic saw her. I still have a copy of the receipt for the medicine. Please contact me again if you have any further questions.

And the second voice mail is Dr. Ye’s reply. There wasn’t anything particularly suspicious in his accounts.
Image Image
Right after we put the phone back, something can be heard.

The sound of a car starting is coming from outside the door.

And that van with spider web has disappeared from our sight.
Image The car seems to be driving towards the funeral shed…
Image Why is it going to the funeral shed so late?

The funeral shed is on our right, if I recall correctly from the prelude…

…but it’s inaccessible.

We turn around to see an unfamiliar sight where the clinic used to be.
Image What is this place?
It looks like a graveyard.

Several graves are located faraway, they look gloomy in the dar.
Image Image

The light flickers as we turn around.

And we see an entrance blocked by a cordon.
Of course we’ll enter! We’re police anyway. It’s absolutely reasonable for us to go in places sealed by cordons.

Image Image
We walked into a place with white lanterns and wreaths with the word Libation on them. As Lin walks closer...

We’re given an overview of the house. It's quite a big and flashy two-story house...

The banner reads “Public Phone Market”, indicating…
Image The mailbox says Tian Xiangrong
Image Is that Tian’s house?
Image ……
Image I’ll investigate the scene first.

It’s not so obvious at the first sight, but something can be seen placed in a line on the floor.

There are four empty bowls on the floor.
…We also see joss papers scattering around. These bowls are most likely used to offer food……to the four deceased people of Tian family. Four stick of white candles can be seen in the back.

Nothing else particular on the right. The wreaths don’t give any lines when investigated.
Ads of House Rent and Forging Certificates (of course they are illegal) can be seen stuck on the streetlight pole. Another usual sight of early 2000s’ China.

We can go upstairs from here…

But there’s nothing particular up now either.
Rhonbic papers with the character 福 (Fu, Fortune) can be seen on the door and the windows on the left. They’re typical decorations people stick to wish for good luck. Sometimes they are deliberately stuck upside-down since “Fortune is upside down”in Chinese has the same pronunciation with “Fortune has come”.
There is also a horizontal paper with the word 出入平安 (Safe Entrance, Safe Exit) above the door…They look ironic and add to the creepiness now – as the house has become a murder scene and mourning place for the victims.

Only the Public Phone Market is left for investigation.
On the left door are some words advertising a type of telecom service with low prices for domestic long-distance calls.

The inner of the Public Phone Market. Booths for payphones can be seen. We can also vaguely see a 22 on the leftmost calendar…
There seems to be something on the wall in the middle of the booth where a candle is lit.

The phones here are still available for use after the death of the store owner……
All kinds of small ads are written (or stamped) on the desk around the phone. They appear everywhere like psoriatic plaqueThis metaphor was commonly used by mass media in the 2000s to express the public’s disgust of those small ads. I apologize if it sounds offensive.
We make a random dial and the phone has no response.

There is a note on the wall.

…Looks like a hint for dialing. The shape of the connected buttons is ancient coin

The second phone. Though there is a note on the right asking you to call, it’s not available yet.

The calendar says September 22nd.
Image Image The time of the crime was September 15th, why is the calendar showing a date that is seven days after that?

And don’t forget the date we are in should be October 20th when we come to this town…
The door beside is locked and in accessible for now.

We’re dialing the phone according to its hints first. The crappy red arrow on the picture is drawn by me, sorry.

The call is picked up after several beeps.
Image Hey, today is Fangfang’s birthday, don’t forget to get the cake before you head home.
Image The order slip for the cake was in some clothes’ pocket and got washed.
Image Now there’s only half a piece of paper left in the washing machine, and my lower back hurts, I can’t get it out.
Image The other half might be inside the pocket of the clothes that are being hung up.
Image Remember to check the pockets before putting clothes in the washing machine next time.

Good ol’ days of putting papers into washing machine together with clothes. When I was a child I had multiple washed 1-yuan bills, as well as trousers stained with white scraps of tissue paper…… and I still have them occasionally now.

Image Image It sounds like a middle-aged woman by the voice…
Image (turns around) The clothes should be hung outside.

A pair of pants is hung here. The size is notably smaller than what our protag is wearing – it belongs to a child.
Pants that’s still wet, there seems to be something in the pocket.

Half of an order slip for a chocolate cake. The date reads September 21st, 2004, one day before the date on calendar; It’s also the first time we get to know the exact year this game is set in.
As we stuff the order slip into our pocket…

A red umbrella passes by down on the road, and then disappears.
Image ……

We hear the sound of a door opening from our left as we go back into the payphone market.

The door is open now.

A bathroom with a laundry machine. And we even see a toilet seat – it was considered rare and fancy sight back then as Asians are more used to squat toilets (they used to give off the aura of “imported goods”, if you know what I mean; Of course they’re not fancy anymore now.)

The other part of the order slip is said to be in the laundry machine…

The lid of the washing machine is closed tightly, there is a piece of paper on it.

Vol.2: Clear Mirror
Mirrors can reflect reality and see through people’s hearts.
Look at yourself in the mirror and find the truth.
· : ∴

Image Image
Image Seems like I need to turn the knob to the correct position to open the lid.
Image There might be clues nearby.

The symbols correspond to what appears on the switches of the laundry machine. A hint for the puzzle.

As the paper hints us to stare into the mirror…

We do exactly that.
A strange symbol is on the wall in the mirror.

Image ……

I rarely look in the mirror.
Grandma said I have too much Yin energy, I would be possessed by ghosts if I look into a mirror.
After my dad passed away, I secretly looked into the mirror once.
In the mirror, I saw Dad’s clothes hanging on the wall behind me.
It was a green police uniform dripping with blood.
I’ve never looked into the mirror since then.
I can’t remember what I looked like when I was a child, and it feels strange to see myself.

We got our first hint of the puzzle and a reflection from our protag Lin.
But that’s only one piece of the puzzle, which is consisted of 3 pieces…… Maybe there are more mirrors to look into.

The glass on the window can be a mirror.

There is a wall outside the window with a strange symbol painted on it.

…And the reflection of the water can also serve as a mirror.

There is an odd pattern inside the bathtub, it seems to be unfinished.
……Oh, my bad. I should turn on the water first.

The bathtub is filled with some water.

The reflection on the water combine with the pattern in the bathtub to form a complete symbol.
And our puzzle pieces are complete.

Just don’t forget the first pattern is a mirror image, therefore the right and the left should be reversed.

The lid of the washing machine is open.
There is half a piece of paper at the bottom of the washing machine’s drum.

The name of the bakery means “A Store of Fragrance”. 园(Yuan, garden) is merely a suffix for the store and has no literal meaning.

Image ……
Image The cake was for Tian Fangfang…
Image But the Tian family was already killed by the 21st, who ordered the cake…?

The complete order slip is saved in our inventory after that.

Just then, the light overhead snaps out, and a sound of door shutting comes from the left….
Image Image

The door is locked.

…What happened?

Image This place is…
Image The department’s morgue

There is a corpse lying on the morgue tray, next to it is an autopsy report.

”Medical autopsy report” wrote: Medical autopsy report
From the forensic laboratory of the Criminal Investigation Brigade of the Qinghe Public Security Bureau
Name of the deceased: Zhao Xiaojuan;
Height: 164cm

The deceased died from shock caused by asphy[unreadable]
No other trauma or signs of struggle [unreadable]
From the on-site investigations and interviews, we can confirm the deceased had committed suicide.
The hair of the deceased was entangled with a telephone at the crime scene.
In order to perform the autopsy, we had cut some of the hair.
We suspect the body of the deceased had rotated after she hung herself, causing her hair to be caught by the telephone cord.
So it can be confirmed that, the death of Zhao, the daughter-in-law in Tian’s family, was because of suicide…

A clump of hair suddenly appears on the sink as we put the report into our pocket.

The hair is clumped up in the sink.
There seem to be something at the bottom of the sink.

Luckily, we have a pair of medical scissors nearby.

And after cutting the hair with our scissors…
We got a key to the electric box on our left.

Gosh. A even larger clump of hair suddenly appears on the autopsy table after we got the key…

The corpse is covered in hair.
Image Image
The scissors does not seem to be of use here, so we go to the electric box in the left instead.

There are two switches in the electric box.
We turn the red switch on first.

There is something hidden underneath the thick hair.

And that something is revealed as we push the hair aside……

…to be a cake with a pig head. Gosh.
A pig’s head is placed on top of a birthday cake. It seems to be an offering in a sacrificial ceremony.
The word libation on the pig’s forehead looks abnormal due to the lightning.
Image Image

Two horizontal strokes of the moonrune “奠” sticks out. They look like two “一” – Chinese character for one.

We turn on the blue switch to see what else can be revealed.

The pig head looks no less creepy even though the light is no the intimating red anymore…

The word libation on the pig’s forehead looks abnormal due to the lighting.
The blue parts of the moonrune look like a “四”(four) and an “八“(eight).

Image There should be some sort of meaning behind the text color, I’ll jot it down.
The English localization pointed out the meaning of highlighted parts. An understandable move, since the puzzle may become unsolvable with localization…

A tinkle can be heard in the background as the room reverts back to the bathroom of Tian household.
Image Image
We can hear the sound of a door opening.

…Yes. A perfectly normal bathroom. As if the morgue never existed.

Oh, Mr. Chen! Together with her red umbrella…wait, the red umbrella was hers?

Image Ms. Chen…Why are you here?
Image Image (Ms. Chen turns around.)
Image This is Fangfang’s house. I want to see if there are any clues here.
Image You said the case was closed. My presence at the crime scene won’t bother you, right?
Image ……
Image Ms. Chen, I’ve read the reports on the case. The autopsy report shows that Zhao Xiaojuan has committed suicide.
Image And the news said that Zhao Xiaojuan hung herself after her family members died.
Image So what?
Image If I come home to see my family poisoned and not breathing…I will still call for an ambulance straight away.
Image ……
Image You don’t understand, after Fangfang’s father passed away, Fangfang was Zhao Xiaojuan’s only mental support.
Image Zhao Xiaojuan loved Fangfang deeply.
Image After the incident, everyone thought Zhao Xiaojuan lost her mind, but I know she didn’t, she was very sane.
Image Looking at her daughter’s dead body…Could you imagine how devastating that would be?
Image ……
Image So you think someone poisoned Fangfang’s family?
Image And Zhao Xiaojuan came home and saw Fangfang’s body, so she mentally broke down and killed herself?
Image That’s possible, right?
Image I can’t make a conclusion without finding more clues.
Image ……
Image What clues are you looking for?
Image I want to know why you went to the clinic. Does Dr. Ye have anything to do with this case?
Image Image
Image Ye Jingshan had a strong motive for murder.
Image Two years ago, Fangfang’s father Tian Yu had an epileptic seizure and was sent to Ye Jingshan’s clinic for emergency treatment…
Image But he didn’t make it.
Image Fangfang’s grandfather Tian Xiangrong believed that Ye Jingshan killed his son.
Image He led a group of people to smash Dr. Ye’s clinic and broke his ribs.

Oh, the traditional method, ganging up and give lessons through a beating
Image Ye Jingshan ended up confined to a hospital bed for mor than half a month. He also lost a lot of money to the Tian family before everything was settled.
Image Moreover, Zhao Xiaojuan had gone to the clinic before the incident.
Image Don’t you think it’s too much of a coincidence?
Image Dr. Ye said Zhao Xiaojuan went to the clinic for cough medicine. There were other patients who witness the incident at that time.
Image Who knows if there was anything wrong with the medicine he gave her, dead people can’t talk.
Image ……

…Hey, isn’t you contradicting yourself on your explanation of Zhao’s suicide? If she went home to find her daughter dead, how can the pills she brought with her poison her family?
Image So you went to the clinic to find evidence of Dr. Ye’s crime.
Image Yes…
Image But Ye Jingshan is a smart man, he left no clues.
Image Then what have you found here?
Image ……
Image There’s nothing here..
Image I have to investigate somewhere else. I will take my leave if you don’t need something else.
Image Image

After saying that, Ms. Chen left. We’re now alone again in this dark payphone market.
Image Ms. Chen looks strange……
Image Is it because she found something here?

Anyway, we’re dialing the second phone. The fingerprints on the right hint about the order of the number on our notes of the cake.
Red, Blue, Blue, Red. Red was two 一(1)s, and Blue was 四(4) and 八(8)…

A beep indicates the call has successfully connected.

Image Hello.
Image We saw the cake. Fangfang liked it very much.
Image Your father-in-law said that Fangfang’s classmates are coming. Please prepare a nice dinner.
Image Don’t forget to pick up something at the restaurant. Remember to get some fish. Yu and Fangfang love to eat fish.
Image One more thing, this morning I noticed that Fangfang left the house key in the dining room again.
Image She’s so forgetful even at such a young age. What if she left the key outside, and someone picked it up?
Image Children learns everything from adults, so you have to set an example.

Ah, the typical scolding from your grandma. I remember hearing similar stuff for countless times when I was a child. I still forget and lose a lot of things now.
Judging from her lines, this middle-aged woman should be the wife of the Tians' family head, Tian Xiangrong. In other words, she is Fangfang’s grandmother, Zhao’s mother-in-law.

We go out of the payphone market to find…the bowls we saw earlier lit with red light from candles.

I can already foresee what is coming.

A few pieces of moldy cakes appeared on the bowls.
Image ……

Shall I be relieved that I don’t see the pig head here?

And we find a key at the bottom of the third bowl, under the cake.

…So, it seems, Fangfang has left her key in her dining space again, despite her grandma's scoldings.

The sound of a car starting can be heard from the left as we turn around…

But no car is in sight when we look into the left.
Image Image Where did the sound come from…?

A girl’s portrait appears behind the railings.
Image It seems to be a photo of Fangfang…
Image ……

No photo is in sight when we go up.
Image Image Where did the portrait go?

Image The key I just got should be able to open the door…
Image ……

This is my first time at the crime scene.
I take a deep breath, then exhale hard.
After I exhaled the anxiety out of my chest, I take the key and…

…And suddenly, the ringing of a phone comes from the bottom left.
Image It’s the phone in the public phone market…

…This one.

The other side is silent, only a rustling sound is heard.
Image ……
Image Hello?
Image Hey, Officer.
Image Dr. Ye?
Image You remember my voice even though we’ve only met once?
Image Well, so do you.
Image Huh, interesting…
Image I was busy, so I didn’t hear the phone ringing. The call just now, was that you?
Image The phone call…
Image It wasn’t me…I didn’t see who made the call either.
Image That’s weird, this number belongs to the Tian family. Am I experiencing supernatural stuff the news mentioned before?
Image I know about the news. Has anyone else in town received a call like that?
Image I heard people in town say that on the 7th day after they died, a few of the granddaughter’s classmates received strange phone calls.
Image That day was also the granddaughter’s birthday.
Image I also heard that on the sixth day after they died, a cake shop in the city received an order, and the cake was for the granddaughter.
Image ……
Image Now the people are terrified of going near the Tian’s house. They’re afraid of coming across evil spirits.
Image Officer, I’m curious about what you’re doing in the Tian’s house?
Image There’s something about the Tian family case that I wish to find out, so I went to investigate.
Image Something you can’t figure out?
Image Dr. Ye, did Zhao Xiaojuan go to your clinic before the incident?
Image Yes, it’s flu season, so the clinic was pretty busy that day and everyone saw her.
Image Did the Tians usually go to you when they were sick?
Image ……
An extremely subtle chuckle came through the phone.
Image I understand what you can’t figure out.
Image You’ve probably heard about that incident between me and the Tian family.
Image Indeed, the Tians would rather take a longer route for another doctor than come to me after that incident. I was also pretty surprised that Zhao Xiaojuan suddenly came to the clinic that day.
Image …What did she say?
Image She said her mother-in-law had a bad cough, and asked me if I had a certain brand of cough medicine.
Image Then she left after buying the medicine.
Image ……
Image Got it, thank you for cooperation.
Image No problem, I can’t help you much with this case. Do you want to continue the investigation?
Image If there’s anything suspicious with this case, I can’t pretend that I don’t see it.
Image ……
Image To be honest, when I asked whether you smoke in the clinic just now, you said no and that you haven’t investigated a case.
Image I thought you were a rookie.
Image It’s really impressive that you manage to obtain these clues in such a short period of time.
Image I’d like to know how you found these clues.
Image Unfortunately, I have business to attend now. I hope to chat with you more if I get the chance.
Image I won’t bother you anymore. Bye, Officer.

He hangs up after saying that.

Image Ye Jingshan was in the clinic when the crime was happening, and he has his patients as witnesses. He’s not really that suspicious…
Image However…
Ye Jingshan seems to be consciously or unconsciously revealing strange rumors about the Tian family.
He was also very interested in my investigation of the case.
And…

BGM: sad memory
When I answered the phone, he recognized my voice right away…
It’s like he’s lurking in a corner nearby and watching everything.

When we go out from the payphone market again, something seems…to have happened where the bowls of offering sit…

The streetlight continues to flash as we get closer…and then is shut…

Other light sources shut one by one as well…
Image Image

And right when we decide to walk further right to investigate, a familiar car with spider webs suddenly runs over us!
The sound of brake, and then footsteps getting closer…

Image Please don’t blame me.

As the screen remains pitch-black, the sound of a lighter can be heard——
——And then, we hear The sound of a firework being set.

…And the screen gradually turns white from pitch-black, with the last verses of the firework sound fading out.

Chapter 1, the End. Full Video without commentary.
The achievement of clearing Chapter 1, 火树银花 (blazing trees, silver blossoms; a Chinese phrase to describe the beauty of fireworks), is unlocked after being hit by the van.

Chapter 2: Accumulated Sins I
Chapter 1 Summary wrote: Our protag Lin woke up in the local clinic after a short recollection. It seems that he was haunted by his father's death.
Here he exchanged some facts to his colleague about the coffin fire case, and then met the doctor in the local clinic, Ye Jingshan (Dr. Ye).

From the television in the clinic, and Ye's words, Lin heard about a closed murder-suicide case a month ago.
It happened in the Tian family. The house owner, his wife, and his granddaughter was poisoned, while their daughter hanged herself at the spot.
Between their conversation, the light went out, and Ye left for somewhere else. Lin then walks around the clinic and restored the light.
Under the restored light, the mysterious figure with a rad hairband appears again......

It turned out she's a young volunteer teacher name Chen Qingsui (Ms. Chen). She was investigating the Tian family murder case on her own.
Lin exchanged a few words with Ms. Chen, and then went on to investigate the Tian murder case.
After encountering a serious of supernatural phenomena, Lin grabbed some information about the case, as well as the key to the Tians' house.
.......Just before that, he stumbled into Ms. Chen again. She didn't believe it was the daughter-in-law who murdered the Tian family, and instead spoke her suspicions on Dr. Ye being the culprit: Ye failed to cure the son of the Tian family owner, therefore Tian assaulted him with a few people, and broke his ribs. She believes Ye held a grudge on the Tian family because of that.
Lin got the key to the Tian family, and just when he planned to enter, he hear a phone ringing...... It was Dr. Ye. It seems someone used the public phone to call him, and he was calling back.
Lin heard some more information about the Tian family from Ye. He didn't find anything suspicious in his account, but still felt something was off.
He went out from the public phone booth and was about to enter the Tians' house again, just then...... a familiar black van that was supposed to belong to the clinic ran over him.
We hear the conversation of our protag Lin with the mysterious voice again.

Image Lixun, can you tell me something about your father?
Image ……
Image My dad was a criminal investigator. He had handled a lot of big cases.
Image He was always busy and away from home.
Image After his death, I finally saw his face clearly for the first time.
Image I was young then, I just stared curiously at the small wound on his forehead.
Image The adults often said that I looked a lot like him.
Image Every time they said that, I would think of the wound. And my head would start aching.
Image That feeling was like…The bullet that killed my dad had taken root in my head.

Image Time to get up.
Image Food is ready, get up now.

BGM: 昔我往矣 (Wake up from the past)
We wake up from a new bed again.

Image This is my room……
Image Image
Image I remember as I was leaving the public phone market…
Image A black car drove towards me…
Image But I don’t have any wounds on my body or feel any pain…
Image Who brought me back?
Image Image

Image This is my room.
Image But when was the mirror installed?

Just then, we hear knockings on the door.

Image Get up and wash, it’s time to eat.
Image ……

And we’re free to investigate again.

This room does give a lot of old vibes from early 2000s. Sadly I don’t recognize most of the movie posters on the wall…
They are cop movies made in Mainland China or Hong Kong from 1990s and 2000s. From left to right: The Missing Gun (寻枪), Infernal Affairs (无间道), A Better Tomorrow (英雄本色), The Killer (喋血双雄).

There’s a broken mirror hanging on the wall.
Image When was it installed?

Award certificates are hung neatly on the wall.

There is a bottle of sleeping pills on the nightstand.
Image (Lin picks up the bottle and shakes it.)
Image Image I don’t remember buying sleeping pills…

We hear a knock on the door again just then.

Image You’re still not done washing? The food is getting cold.
Image ……
Image I’ve heard this voice before.
Image It’s the voice of the middle-aged woman on the phone…

Image ……
The relaxing piano BGM stops as the glass shard falls on the bed.

The fragments that fell off the mirror are just jutting out from the bed.
Image I remember.
Image This is the mirror from the bathroom of the Tian’s house.
Image Why is the Tian family’s mirror in my room?
Image ……I’ll search if there are any other suspicious objects.

We pick up the Mirror Fragment 1 and stuff it into our pocket. Judging from the picture, the mirror should have 3 shards missing…

The calendar still reads as September 22nd – the same date when we were in the payphone market, the 7th day of after Tian's familicide, a month earlier than the “current” date.

The glass of its frame is smashed, and one of the fragments has a special pattern printed on it.
The rose pattern of the bottom piece sticks out. This is Mirror Fragment 3. …wait, where is the second fragment?

It’s really easy to be forgotten, but beside the door there is a full length mirror.

It’s all shattered……
The mirror is broken into several pieces, one of which looks out of place.

As the broken mirror is pieced together……

The title of the second chapter reveals itself.

A window has appeared in the mirror.

As we focus on the window and it gets closer…

A sound of brake can be heard, and…

Image ……
Image This place is… the bathroom in Tian’s house…

Though in fact it was in the public phone market.
A sound of the door opening can be heard from the left.

Apart from the red light, the whole room is pitch-black as we lost our light source again.

Luckily, we have a candle among the booths.

The outside has also become nearly pitch-black…
There fills the pungent smell of gunpowder, the mist has become thicker than before.
Image (Walks left for a little) It seems something was burnt nearby…

The bowls and the wreath are still here.

So is the way to the left. And there are nothing new in the public phone market either, leaving us only one place to go……

The Tian House.

The door locks itself as we come in…
Image Image

A familiar red umbrella is at our feet. It’s still dripping with water despite no signs of rain can be seen outside…

A calendar is hung on the wall.

It looks like a gift from a bank – this probably hints someone in this family is working in the bank.
The moonrunes below dates are correspondent dates of Chinese Calendar.
The date September 22th is circled out with notes from Fangfang in the right. In the original language she didn’t know how the word “cake” was written so she used pinyin for it. Cute.

There is a shutter door on the right…

And a door sealed with a cordon on the left. But we are police so (omitted).
Anyway we’re going left first.

…It’s a wide living room, with all the usual stuff – wind fan, radio, old CRT tv, sewing machine, and sofa in the front side of the screen. But it also has some less usual sight: a large portrait, candles, and what seems to be deity miniatures. Superstitions in rural area.

A photo frame can be seen clearly on our left.

But the photo is missing.

On the left of the photo, an old radio can be seen on the table. It’s not working yet.

Television, shelf, portrait. At the front of the deity miniatures, a phone can be vaguely seen.

A piece of yellow paper is under the phone.

…It’s about local ghost folklore, about Huisha, or “returning of the viscious”.
HUISHA (回煞)

After a person died, the spirit will return to the land of the living on the seventh day. This phenomenon is called Huisha.
To prevent the spirit from getting lost, family members will light candles in their house. The spirit will find their way back by following the candles.
We did see candles on our way. Below the portrait, on the shelf, the two candles on both sides of us should also be part of them…

And there is an additional one on our left, under the sewing machine.

One. Two and three are already lit in front of the deity miniatures.
These numbers are written in formal Chinese numbers – characters with more complicated strokes to prevent forgeries by altering simple numbers.

Four.

There is a grayscale portrait on the wall with the name Tian Yu written at the corner.
Image Tian Yu…I remember he was Fangfang’s father.

Who died 2 years ago from a seizure. He was not involved in the familicide case.

Five.
The radio begins making noises as we light the last candle. The noises get louder as we get close…

The radio channel requires tuning to receive normal signals.

We randomly tuned it and received no signal.
…Wait. There are just 5 blocks for us to adjust, which corresponds to the candles we put earlier……

And those candles are placed at different heights. We even see numbers on them ealier…

The radio begins to work with a beep and a clicking sound.

But what we hear from it makes no sense.
The radio is playing weird chanting sound.
And it sounds like chirps form mosquitoes or flies. A sound of door opening can be heard in the left mixed with those chants.

There’re actually two doors on the other side of the living room – but the door to the balcony in the left is still locked for now.

While the door on the right is open. Let’s go in.

…It’s the dining room.
And well, greetings again, Ms. Chen.
Image Image

Image Ms. Chen…

Image What a coincidence, we ran into each other twice tonight.
Cehn6: Officer, what are you doing here?
Image Ms. Chen, maybe you’re right, there might be hidden clues in the Tian family’s case.
Image I’ll continue to investigate.
Image Image What did you find?
Image Nothing yet, but I’ll try hard to search the house.
Image Also, this is a crime scene. It’ll be hard for me to explain to my superior if you leave any traces, so…
Image I understand…I’ll go somewhere else, I’ll leave you alone.
Image Officer, you seem to be quite concerned about the case.
Image I was a bit harsh on you, hope you don’t take it seriously.
Image It’s okay…

…was that an apology? Anyway, Ms. Chen left again after this conversation. We’re alone again in the dining room now.

The food on the table is rotten, and there is a piece of paper next to it.

我的尸体 / My body,
不会腐烂在泥土里 / Will not rot into the mud.
我会像鸟儿一样 / Like a bird,
死在天空中 / I’ll die in the sky.
Image Image
Image Seems to have been torn from a book of poetry…

Another paper with the word Fortune can be seen on the wall. On the right is large wood-burning stove with a large wok embedded.

And a tall jar can be seen on the cabinet. This kind of jar is usually reserved for homebrewing.
A lot of Chinese families (especially in the villages) have the habit of homebrew Baijiu (white liquor made from Sorghum, usually with 35%-60% alcohol) or Huangjiu (yellow wine made from rice, with 8%-20% alcohol). In our home we have a lot of homebrew liquor reserves made by my grandfather in the cellar. I once drank around 200mL of them and ended up having to take intravenous antidotes.

There’s a family portrait in the wine jar.
Oh, the one missing from the frame in the living room.
Image Why is a photo in a jar?
Image I have to find a way to get it out.

Hmm…maybe we can pick it out with chopsticks. Praise the universal woodsticks for eating!

Here, in the basket on the stove.

Further on the right is a pressure cooker on a small gas stove and a can of LPG. Kitchenware can be seen hung on the wall... and cured meat and sausage on the ceiling.

Back with the chopsticks.

Image One person is missing in the family portrait…
Two elderly people – the householder Tian and his wife, a male – Tian Yu, a child – Fangfang. The daughter-in-law, Zhao, is missing from the picture…
We put the photo in our pocket. The empty frame should be in the rightmost side of the living room.

We found the TV turned on when we come back from the dining room…

But it has no signal.

We put the photo in…

And strengthen the frame…

…………Blood tears begin to drip from the two elderly people. A “TV21” written with red ink also appears.
Image Image

The TV begins to play.

Now we’re going to reveal the special number for this issue.

…man, the subtitle in this section is really hard to read.
Ladies and gentlemen, the special number for the 28th issue of ‘Qingjiang Style’ is…

04!

Someone shut the TV after the reveal.

That Image bubble is not from our protag Lin. The radio is also not present in the reflection of the TV……

Image Why did you turn off the TV? I still want to watch my TV series!

(Sound of a paper being torn)
Image It’s too noisy, annoying.
Image ……
Image I’ve already told you, it’s not easy to win the lottery.
Image Well, a lottery ticket doesn’t cost too much.
Image Tian Xiangrong, do you know how much money we have?
Image You just lent ten thousand yuan to your cousin last month, we’re almost out of money!
Image He’s my relative, I had to help.
Image You just wanted to pretend to be generous and rich!
Image ……
Image When Yu gets his job, we will be having more income.
Image You’ve been trying to get him the job for several years and spent a lot on it!
Image The people in your company were all flattering you back then. Now that you’ve been fired, they just don’t care about doing favors for you.
Image I was laid off under the arrangement of the state, not fired!
Image Besides, the supermarket is almost ready, we can make money out of it too.
the translation made a small mistake here since it should be clear he was referring to the public phone market.
Image Alright, I’m done with this. I’m going to cook.
Image Hey, we can’t let outsiders know that our family is short of money, especially her.
Image I understand, if other people know about this, you’ll be humiliated.
The Layoff Wave in 1990s China wrote: China's economic reform in 1980s and 1990s led to a large number of state-owned enterprises being reformed and reconstructed; and as a result, many workers were subjected to suspension without pay, commonly referred to as "layoffs".
Those employees who were laid off encountered many difficulties in their lives; it's generally viewed as one of the throes of the reform.
The screen get clouded again as their conversation progress, we clean it and……

……That was quite a jump scare.

Image ……
Image Tian’s residence looks flashy, but it turns out that they were financially struggling, which other people didn’t know…
Image There may be more secrets hidden here.

The sound of a door opening is coming from outside the living room.

It should be at this side, behind the shutter door.

……A red lantern with the word Libation is giving off red light on the open door.

It’s a bedroom. The bed is decorated with sheets with flower pattern and a mosquito netting.

The calendar on our left faintly reads 17th.

It’s an old-style Chinese Almanac with a lot of daily horoscope stuff. Used to common in rural areas. Today they’re less used in practice but more serves collecting use. I hear there are authors making and selling them in America……
”text on the almanac” wrote: 17. seventh day, sixth month(small)
“Water horse” year, “fire horse” month, “fire dragon” day. Sexagenary cycle stuff that combines Chinese Zodiac and Wuxing

Fire day, do not set up a stove lest disaster falls upon you. ‘Dragon’ day, do not cry lest another funeral occurs.
Suitable: Do not do anything; Unsuitable: Do not do anything

Today’s Plans: The moon sets, the crow cry, east of the maple tree.
Image The moon sets, the crows cry, east of the maple tree…
Image What do they mean?

Who knows. Poetic nonsense.

Another paper sheet is stuck on the wall.
There are books about Fengshui and celestial events, and a piece of paper was put in one of them.

An introductory about moon phase. Not very scientific……
NEW MOON: Chinese farmer’s calendar, first and thirtieth day
FIRST QUARTER MOON: Chinese farmer’s calendar, seventh and eighth day
FULL MOON: Chinese farmer’s calendar, fifteenth and sixteenth day
THIRD QUARTER MOON: Chinese farmer’s calendar, twenty-third day

The new moon rises ad 06:00 and sets at 18:00
The first quarter moon rises ad 18:00 and sets at 24:00
The full moon rises ad 18:00 and sets at 06:00
The third quarter moon rises ad 24:00 and sets at 12:00
But serves as a hint. ‘The moon sets’, and it’s seventh day in the farmer’s calendar… that’s 24:00

There happens to be a clock on the right.

As the clock is set to the right time, the screen slowly moves down…

…And fades in to the picture under it.

And now we move as the man in the picture!

And now we move as the man in the picture!
Wind blows in the background. A first quarter moon can be seen on the right.

A crow cries as the man in the picture looks up for a while, the continues walking.

And he stops at the east of the giant tree.

Image Hey Tian, I’m here.

Image Have you got the stuff?
Image Here, it’s fresh.

Image Look, the color is nice, isn’t it? It probably belonged to a high-ranking official in the Qing Dynasty.
Image Alright alright, put it away.
Image Ha, you are not going to touch it again?
Image I’m just helping you contract your client, I won’t touch it.
Image I understand, dead people’s belongings are unlucky and too much of a taboo for you.
Image ……
Image I will take you to the client on Wednesday, wait for my call.
Image Thank you in advance, Tian.

It seems Tian was involved in some sort of business about antiques... and the other person was probably a tomb robber.
And they are both pretty illegal in doing that. The law in China states cultural relics as public property, and therefore all unearthed relics belongs to the state. Tomb raiding is strictly prohibited, and trading unearthed antiques is also prohibited. Relic trading is only allowed when the relic belongs to the individual (from a store or an auction, as a family heirloom, etc.)

Image By the way, you’ve stopped doing this after Yu got married, why do you start again?
Image It has nothing to do with you.
Image ……
Image Tian, I heard that you spent quite a lot on getting a job for Yu.
Image I might be stingy, but I remember the favors I owe others. If you need something…
Image Our family isn’t short of money!
Image A previous client wanted a few antiques and I couldn’t refuse, that’s why I came to you.
Image Oh, you could have said that earlier. Good to hear you’re alright. I’m heading off then.

The mysterious silhouette leaves after saying that.
Tian turns around, looking up again. A crow cries on his side.
Image ……
Image Bad luck.

After commenting on the cry of the crow, he heads back and the scene fades out.

The decorative painting on the clock has come off, there are a few lottery tickets hidden inside.

Do you really think you can change your fate?
Noises from the crowd begins playing in the background.

It’s Your son’s bad luck to be born into the Tian family.

This is karma!
Image ……

After all the unwinned lotteries The scene suddenly switches…
The Tian couple is crying over a coffin. Or, to be more precise, He is crying, and Tian is merely standing still. Her crying can be heard clearly as a sound effect.
The paper dolls on the back are also shedding tears of blood.

Image It’s time for burial, it’s not good if we miss the auspicious time.
Image ……
Image So you spend some more time with Yu.
Image I’ll go to the balcony, he has planted some flowers here, I’ll check on them and pick a few beautiful ones to plant by the grave.
Image He’s gone, what’s the point in that…?
Image Yu liked those flowers, he’d be happy to have them planted by his grave.
Image ……
Image Yu did nothing wrong. He didn’t deserve the karmic retribution……
Image What karmic retribution? You’re talking like you had all endured hardships all these years!
Image I did those just to make more money and give all of you a better life!
Image Then tell me, now he died from illness…Whose fault is this…?
Image ……
Image The burial people are coming soon.
Image I’m going to the balcony to check on Yu’s flowers. Some are broken, it’s upset to look at them.

We’re sent back to the bedroom with a snap.
Image Image
We shall probably go to the balcony as well……

The bed inside the mosquito net has turned into a coffin with weeping paper dolls.

The calendar faintly reads “30th”.

The lamp has gone out. The other room has a word “囍”, it’s a double of 喜(Happiness) and is usually used to congratulate the wedding of a couple (as wedding is an event of happiness for both sides.) This room should be the bedroom for Yu and his wife, Zhao.

The balcony door is now open.

The balcony. Potted plants are placed here and there…

The one we can interact with is half hidden below, between the railings.

A potted plant that is about to wither.

The branch on the right, second from bottom to top, is bent.

What did I do wrong?
The job I got for my son was decent, others would kill for it.
The house I built for him was the most luxurious in this neighborhood.
Everyone had to look up to us.

The screen flashes red for once as some red dots appear around the bent branch.

I’ve never done anything wrong.

More red dots appear as a sound of shattering can be heard.

This is all your fault.
YE JING SHAN!

More sounds of shattering.
You killed my son!

And the bent branch eventually breaks with blood spilt.
……These branches on the plant look like ribs.

BGM: 镜花水月 (The mirror)

Image Dad, it’s almost fall, you’ll catch a cold sleeping on the balcony.
Image I’ve got a blanket, I’m fine. Besides, your mother’s nagging irritates me.
Image Is Fangfang asleep?
Image She went to bed after finishing her homework.
Image Did she say anything?
Image …Before falling asleep she said she missed her dad.
Image ……
Image She’s still young, she needs adults to accompany her.
Image Fangfang is very close to your mother. Her world revolves around her.
Image We want to watch Fangfang grows up. Do you understand?
Image …I understand, Dad.
Image That’s good, you should spend more time with Fangfang.
Image I will. Dad, you should come in if it gets cold.
Image I’m perfectly fine here.
Image When I opened my eyes early in the morning, I saw a crowd downstairs.
Image They all looked up at our house.
Image I could see the envy in their eyes.

Image Once, I even saw Yu in the crowd.
Image I told him to come up, but he didn’t respond…
Image ……
Image Dad, you were dreaming.
Image Dreaming…
Image If only I had been dreaming.

After what was supposed to be a recollection scene, we’re back at the current (or, what it should be in 9/22) balcony.
The potted plants on the railings are gone. We can hear the rocking chair creaks without someone on it when we get close.

We go back to the living room to find the door of the dining room locked.

……And the phone suddenly begins to ring again as we walk past the door.

Image Hey, Fangfang.
Image Do you like the clothes I bought you?
Image You like it? That’s great.
Image I have another good news for you.
Image I will take you to see Dad this Saturday.
Image Yes, he’s back.
Image You should put on your new clothes and show then to your dad.

Image Image
Image That’s the voice of Fangfang’s grandma…

Image What did she mean by ’Tian Yu is back’?

Chapter 2, the End. Full Video without commentary.
The achievement for clearing Chapter 2, 父债子偿 (Father's Debts Will be Paid by Son), is unlocked at the end of this chapter.
Last edited by Rincewind on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chapter 3: Accumulated Sins II
Chapter 2 Summary wrote: After being mysteriously hit by the familiar black van, our Protag found himself waking up in his own room...... and then figured out it was another mirage, and broke out of it and finally entered the Tian house.
Here he found some fragments of the family's past and a suicide note from the daughter-in-law. He also stumbled into Ms. Chen for a couple of more times.

——The house owner, Tian Xiangrong, was a vain person who always pretends to be rich and generous, despite having financial struggles secretly.
And to ease the financial tension, he resumed his old trade - acting as a broker of illegal relic trade.
His son, Tian Yu, died sometime after that, and it's rumored by the townsfolk and his wife to be Karmic Retribution, since he's owing the debts to the dead......
He didn't believe in karmic retribution, or himself doing anything wrong, so he vent his anger on the doctor Ye instead, and called a bunch of gangs and broke Ye's ribs.

After seeing all the recollections, the protag suddenly heard a phone call from the living room, and in the phone, it was Tian Xiangrong's wife, He, saying......
Their son Tian Yu is back?
Something strange happened to Tian Yu’s photo frame.

The portrait in the frame disappeared, a few musical notes appear in the center.

Apart from the frame, this room gets back to look pretty normal now……

Hi again, Ms. Chen!
It seems she is standing next to the door. Wait, the door looks strange…

Our protag noticed it as well. It’s riddled with music notes…

Image What is this, Ms. Chen?
Image I have no idea either…
Image This room is weird, the room layout seems to be changing constantly.
Image But I remember the pattern on this door.
Image Fangfang had a diary, the pattern was on the cover page.
Image And the door has a combination clock just like her diary.
Image ……
Image Do you know the passcode?
Image This was my student’s privacy, of course I don’t know.
Image Maybe there are clues that can help us open this door, I’ll look for them.
Image Image

Image Officer, can we look together?
Image Fangfang was a student I cared about very much.
Image I want to know what Fangfang and her family went through.
Image If you’re afraid that I might destroy the scene…
Image ……
Image It’s okay, Ms. Chen, I also wanted to know the Tian family’s past.
Image You have been in Qingtan Town longer than I have, you should know better.
Image ……
Image I’ll do my best to answer whatever you want to know.
Image No secrets will remain undiscovered in this little town.
Image Well, Ms. Chen, thanks for your cooperation.

Chen Qingsui joined the team.
You can obtain more clues by investigating some places again.

Objects with new information from Ms. Chen are represented by blue magnifying icon.

The same calendar.
Image Ms. Chen, is it possible that the passcode is Fangfang’s birthday?
Image This was the first thing I thought of, but it didn’t work.
Image ……
Image Oh right, Ms. Chen, the calendar says ‘gift from Qinghe Branch of Agricultural Development Bank’. Did anyone in the Tian family work in a bank before?
Image Fangfang’s grandfather, Tian Xiangrong, used to work in a bank and was laid off a few years ago.
Image …Have you heard any rumors about Tian Xiangrong?
Image I did hear some older teachers talk about him.
Image They said Tian Xiangrong was very rich, but the source of his money is unknown.

Image There were even rumors that Tian Xiangrong resold cultural relics.
Image He obtained cultural relics from others and sold them to the bank’s major clients.
Image The people in town thought that Tian Xiangrong sold the belongings of the dead and ran into Debt of the Deceased, so his son received karmic retribution.
Image Debt of the Deceased…

Ms. Chen also seems to have some insight on the portrait frame.

Image I remember there were musical notes on the door, maybe the melody is related to the password.
Image Let me have a look…535i…

Image This is the prelude of the song, ‘Farewell’
Image So Mi So Do…
Image The last Do is a high Do, the one after the 7th note, so it can be interpreted as 8. Then the password should be 5358.
Image Image
Image Ms. Chen, do you teach music?
Image I teach Chinese literature. The school doesn’t have a music teacher, so I teach some simple songs once in a while.

Well, there’s a small error in the translation. What is taught in Chinese lessons at lower elementary cannot really be called literature…more like Chinese literacy. So I’m changing every ‘Chinese literature’ later in the in-game text into ‘Chinese’ instead.
Image I like this song very much…
Image The students said, when I finish teaching here, they’ll sing this song to me as a farewell gift…
Image ……
Image This might be the password, try it.
Image Yes…

”Farewell, or Song Bie” wrote: Farewell or Songbie (送别, Bidding Farewell) is a song very famous in China. The melody originated from a 19-century song Dreaming of Home and Mother by American composer John P. Ordway; and in early 1900s the artist Hong Yi (or Li Shutong) heard a Japanese adaption of it and was moved, and wrote his own poetic lyric for it.
Hong Yi’s version became popular and was introduced to music lessons in primary school in 1940s – and it’s still in our elementary music textbook now. Almost every educated Chinese can recognize the melody. It can also be heard in the Closing Ceremony for the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, at around 59:30.
This is a version sung by Wiltener Boys’ Choir from Austria.

Here is the Lyric of the song. It’s a combined version from several different translations. The title of this thread also comes from the last line of this song.
长亭外,古道边,芳草碧连天
Outside the long pavilion, along the ancient road, green grass touches the sky,
晚风拂柳笛声残,夕阳山外山
The evening wind caresses willow trees, the flute flutters; sunset climbs over mountains beyond mountains.
天之涯,地之角,知交半零落
At the brinks of the sky, at the far ends of the earth, close friends must sometimes part,
一壶浊酒尽余欢,今宵别梦寒
One last ladle of wine to conclude the remains of our merriment; tonight we’re bidding farewell, leaving my dreams cold.

The door opens.
Image Image

Behind the door, a staircase going downward appears. We can’t see the bottom of the staircase.
If I remember correctly, this should be the front door of Tian House…

Let’s go.

As we step down, the screen fades out…
And the laughter from a child can be heard.

……The stairs lead us to a different version of entrance.
Image Image
Image What’s wrong?
Image I think I heard a little girl’s laughter behind me.
Image A little girl’s laughter…
Image My ears might’ve played a trick on me…

Image I mean, you sound a bit superstitious, are you scared?
Image Image
Image I’m a cop…I don’t believe in ghosts.
Image (turns around) Image
Image We walked down such a long staircase, and now we are at the entrance again…
Image But the atmosphere here feels different from what it was earlier.
Image Well, let’s look around first.

There s a note on the wall, at the position where the calendar used to be.
A page that has been torn out from a diary is stuck to the wall.

Today, we went to the city.
Mom bought me a toy camera.
Grandpa and grandma took me to visit an old lady.
On our way back, grandpa and grandma got into a quarrel.

With a sound of the engine, the picture begins to move.

Image Count me out next time for stuff like this.
Image I don’t believe in such things, and I don’t want to be seen here.
Image What is to be ashamed of?
Image You’ve just read a few more books in school, get off your high horse.
Image ……
Image Did the witch say anything wrong? She could tell that you touched belongings of the dead immediately.
Image She just had a hunch, you’re falling for her lies if you believe her.
Image …Tian Xiangrong, I don’t care whether you believe her or not. I can’t let anything happen to Fangfang.
Image The witch gave me some talismans, put them up at home and they’ll cast evil spirits out.
Image One more thing, burn some offerings for the people you’ve crossed.
Image I don’t believe in these. I won’t do it.
Image You…How are you still alive after sleeping on the cold balcony every day?!
Image I’ll do it! You always need a woman to clean up your mess. Shame on you, Tian Xiangrong!
Image ……

Image The witch also said she saw Yu and he missed us.
Image We will go to the witch in a week, and she can summon Yu.
Image Stay home if you don’t believe in these things. I’ll take Fangfang and our daughter-in-law along.
Image …You guys go, I’ll stay home.

It seems He was a rather superstitious woman. She went to a witch (or a shaman) who claims to be able to communicate with ghosts, and Tian is not buying it.
Their daughter-in-law didn’t say anything in the whole conversation. We can also notice that she is the only person whose facial features aren’t drawn in the pic.

Image Image
…And yes, the doors on both sides are full of talismans.

…And they are blocking us from going through.

A camera also appeared on the wall after we read the diary page.

There is a toy camera hanging on the wall.

There is no image at first when we check it…

And after an inversion the family portrait we saw in Chapter 2 appeared. Zhao is still missing from this pic.

The title of the third chapter, Accumulated Sins Ⅱ, is displayed after the second inversion.

…And still remains after the third inversion.
What is supposed to be the negative of the family portrait is shown – but it looks hand-drawn.
The person missing in the family portrait – Zhao – is shown along with other family members in this hand-drawn negative.

And when we click the confirming button again, we’re suddenly brought into…a black and white hand-drawn version of the entrance. Our shadow silhouette is nearly unrecognizable.

The toy camera is still hanging on the wall.

The door in the middle is still a brick wall, but the door on both sides seems to be available now.

The hand-drawn version of the living room. A camera can be seen here too.

A drawing of a little girl is hidden inside the deity statue.

A closed door is drawn on the wall.
The doors to the dining room and the balcony are still shut.

Nothing else can be investigated in this hand-drawn room, so…

We invert back again.

As the hand-drawn room suggests, let’s investigate the deity statue.
Image I can’t identify what kind of deity it is, it’s probably one that the locals believe in.

As we push the statue in the middle aside…

There is a diary page behind the statue.

Today, we went to see the old lady we visited last time.
Grandma said we could see dad.
Grandpa wouldn’t go.
Before we left, we folded a lot of shiny paper ingots.

↓ ↑ ↑ → ← ↓

We are not instructed to use arrow keys……
To fold the glided paper into an ingot! The first fold should be down.

Up.

Up.

Left.

Right.

Down.

And after some finalizing, the paper ingot is now complete.

The paper ingot bends into a string of ingots, and then the camera zoomed out…

And another scene begins to play.

Image Ms. Zhang, can’t Fangfang come in?

Image This is Soul Summoning, it might accidentally summon other wandering ghosts.
Image Fangfang is young and weak in Yang energy, I’m afraid that her soul might be captured by a little ghost.
Image Let her watch outside.
Image Okay, sorry for troubling you, Ms. Zhang.
Image By the way, close the window, don’t let the evil spirits out.
Image Okay, go shut the window, Xiaojuan.

The window is then shut. Fangfang’s reflection can be faintly seen…among with something else on the sides.

Image Don’t interrupt me no matter what happens later.
Image You can ask questions, and he’ll answer you if he wants. If he doesn’t, don’t push him.
Image And…

Image his soul will return to where it belongs after, don’t cling to it…

It seems Fangfang’s eyelids were getting heavy…
And after a couple of more blinks, the screen turns black she fell asleep.

Image Fangfang…
Image Fangfang, wake up.

Image Fangfang, go out and play.
Image It’s so much fun out there!

The lotus shakes for a couple of times as we double click Z as required.
Image Try harder!

And a tadpole swims out!
Image Come here, Fangfang.

We can control the tadpole with arrow keys.

And the scene changes as the tadpole swims to the right…

BGM: 在水一方(Where is she)
The title of the song is a reference to the ancient poetry 蒹葭(Jianjia, the reeds). It’s from the third and the fourth line, 所谓伊人,在水一方 (Where's she I need? Beyond the stream.)

The tadpole now is in a stream! We can still use arrow keys to control it.

Some lines are displayed when we reach the red circle.

People say it’s dangerous outside the pond.
There are a lot of dead ends here.

Look! A dead end.
This is a dead end, Grandpa won’t let me go further.

Another dead end. Different dead ends have slightly different lines, but I forgot that when recording.

A toad is muttering a spell that doesn’t make any sense.
She looks a lot like Dad, but she isn’t dad.

There is another dead end in its left.

There is a dead end on the right.

Mama Mermaid is frowning, she seemed upset.
She said: ‘I miss my home, the ocean.’
‘The ocean is vast, and everyone lives freely in it.’
‘There are so many twists and turns, and dead ends here.’

I really want to help Mama Mermaid.
But I can’t find the way out either.

And then we’re out, in what appears to be a page of a book.

An exercise book with Fangfang’s name can be seen on the right.

So it’s a Chinese textbook! The paragraph on screen is from a famous Chinese fable for kids , “Little Tadpoles Looking for Mama”. It was written in mid of the 20th century and is still a text in Grade 2 Chinese textbook. It was also adapted into a short cartoon movie in 1960 (the narrations are in Mandarin.)
The earlier adventure of the little tadpole is also a parody of this fable.

Image Tian Fangfang.
Image Tian Fangfang.
Image Tian Fangfang!

The bgm and Fangfang’s daydreaming are interrupted together, by a piece of chalk thrown at her.

……
Image Tian Fangfang, are you daydreaming again?!
Image Why can’t you pay attention like the other students?
Image Go back and copy the text manually ten times!
Image I’ll call your parents over if you do it again.

Ah, the usual writing lines punishment, and a threat to call the parents. Your typical harsh teacher.
Writing lines here in practice is less about leveraging shame – as the misbehaved student usually copies contents from the textbook or their names instead of sorts of school discipline. It can be considered a method of consolidating the memory…but of course it does not sound very helpful.
This may be another hint on how educations in remote areas might be – they really didn’t have the chance to pick a better or kinder teacher.

Image Oh, one more thing.

Image A new teacher Ms. Chen will join our school tomorrow and replace me as your Chinese teacher.
Image Make sure you dressing yourself neatly tomorrow so you don’t embarrass yourself tomorrow.

We are back to ourselves (or, back to Lin) when what seems to be Fangfang’s memories end.
A slower and lower in tone version of Wake up from past begins to play.

Image Image This should be Fangfang’s classroom…
Image Where did Ms. Chen go?

The words on the blackboard is Welcome, Miss Chen! as displayed above the Chinese text, and the words above the backboard are good good study, day day up. Study hard and make progress everyday. The original tone was more encouraging and less demanding. It was in fact a quote from Mao Zedong…also “good good study, day day up” is a character-to-character translation of the original text and some sort of a Chinglish meme.
A toy camera can be seen on the left.

There is a wooden box on the lecture podium.

And this box has a 9 puzzle on its lid. I heard there were streamers stuck on this puzzle so the developer allowed it to be skipped in some later update.

It’s a little flower drawn with chalks.
The box clicks as it opens.

There is a key inside.
Image I’m not sure what it is for, I’ll check the vicinity first.

No further hints are given as we walk across the whole room…

Which means we shall probably do an inversion with the camera.

……Doodles from children can be surprisingly creepy sometimes.

The door is painted in disquieting red.

So are the windows on the other side.
A red flower is painted on the cabinet.

The creepy doodles of big-headed dolls, which seem to be unfinished.
That’s all of it, we shall now invert back…

The atmosphere has changed drastically. The previous bgm also stops.

There is a pencil sharpener on the table with a piece of paper underneath it.
Okay, the doodles look less creepy here with blush.

The cabinet has two drawers and a door, they’re all locked.
Image The key I just found might be useful.

The red flower earlier was drawn on the middle drawer…

There’s a box of chalk inside the drawer. And it’s red…

…Really red.

We grind it…….

Into powder......

And use the powder to give the doodles blush.

Image ……
They look cuter now, but also begin giving off creepy giggles……

Woah.

Another jump scare jumps in as we switch back with the toy camera.

Image I should make her sit at the back of the classroom.
Image Otherwise, the new teacher will be pissed when she sees her zoning out all day!
Image If you send her to the back, her grandpa will come and cause a scene in the school.
Image Great! I will let Tian Xiangrong know what his granddaughter did in class.
Image Look at all the doodles on her exercise book.

The little tadpoles swam happily. When they saw Mother tortoise…
The last line has a series of Chinese character 龟 (Tortoise) morphing into the graph of a tortoise. Cute.
Image She will never achieve anything like this.
Image ……

Then the exercise book is flipped into another page.
It seems that Fangfang is copying the textbook as her punishment……but for now she just stares into the blank page without writing.

A sound of the door opening comes from the left.

And then the shadow of a person.
Image Tian Fangfang?
Image ……
Image Do you remember me? I visited your school for an interview half a year ago. You welcomed me back then.
Image I will be teaching here tomorrow onwards.
Image …Ms. Chen?

Image Yeah, you should go home, it’s late.
Image I didn’t pay attention in class, so my punishment is to copy the text…
Image ……
Image Fangfang, let me show you something.
Image Close your eyes first, then open them again when I tell you to.
Image Mhm…

The sound of folding papers plays at the background as Fangfang's eyes are closed.

Image Fangfang, you can open your eyes now.

Image Fangfang, have you played this before?

……I had. But we’re choosing no here to let Ms. Chen tell us how to play it.
Image Then let me go over the rules.
Image You can pick a direction from East, South, West and North, then you’ll say a number.
Image For example, if you pick East and 6, I’ll move 6 times, then see what is drawn on the ‘East’ side.
Image I drew faces on every side inside. If you pick the smiling face, then you’re off the hook.
Image How does that sound? Choose a direction first.

Image Think of a number.
We’re doing what she told us. East, 6.

Image Okay, let me see what it is.

The structure of this papercraft is simple. I hope the photos (they were taken by me) of how to fold it are not confusing.
It's also easy to notice that all 8 sides are drawn with smiling faces.

Image It’s a smiling face!
Image Stop copying and go home, Fangfang.
Image But…Ms. Xu told me to do it…
Image Don’t worry, I’ll be your new Chinese teacher tomorrow, I have the final say!
Image Mhm…
Image Ms. Chen…Can you teach me how to make this?
Image It looks like a star when it’s opened, it’s beautiful.
Image A star…That’s a very interesting analogy, I like it!
Image I’ll teach you.

Image First, fold it up like this…

Image Then fold like this…

Image The last step is to open it up…

A piano note is played as a star blooms on the paper.

Image Look, this is it. Now you try, Fangfang.
Image First, do this…
Image Then do this…
Image and finally…

Another star, another piano note.
Image Ms. Chen, I’ve got it!
Image You learn fast, let’s fold more.

Stars shine, one by one, on screen.
BGM: 大切な約束 (A precious promise)

I folded a lot of stars with Miss Chen.
The words become stars as the tadpole swims through them.

I love Miss Chen!

I will study hard, because Miss Chen told me…

…that ever word I write on my exercise book…

…will sprout and grow into a flower field.

The little tadpole swims…

And turns into a bird as it flies through the clouds...

Soaring freely in the starry sky...

……

(The bgm fades out)

……But in the end, the bird becomes a faraway sight behind the iron bars.

Image Fangfang, why do you come home so late today?
Image A new Chinese teacher in the school taught me origami.
Image What does that teacher look like?
Image Hmmm…She’s different from other teachers.
Image But she’s as pretty as mom!
Image It seems you like the new teacher very much. You should study hard since she’s going to teach you.
Image I will.
Image The food is ready. Wash your hands and call your grandparents over to eat.

Image Image
We’re back in cold reality again, in the dining room of Tian House…

There are several steaming dishes on the table.

Image You went to visit the witch today, what did she say?
Image I thought you didn’t believe in these.
Image ……
Image Ms. Zhang summoned Yu’s soul.
Image Yu said that he was doing good, so we didn’t have to worry about him.
Image He also asked us to take good care of Fangfang.
Image …Anyone can say this kind of cliché.
Image ……
Image You old fart, did you know that Yu also asked me to send a few words to you?
Image What did he say…
Image He wanted to tell you, ‘Dad, I don’t blame you.’
Image He also said, ‘Dad, I don’t regret being born into the Tian family.’
Image He…Did he really say that?
Image You can ask your daughter-in-law if it was real.
Image ……
Image I’m full. I’m going out for a walk…

…And Tian left.
Image I’m not hungry. I’m going to light some incense for Yu.
Image Fangfang, fish is good for your brain, you should eat more fish. Get an ‘A’ in your exam and show it to your dad!

He left as well.
Image ……

The fish Mom cooked is delicious.
But my mom doesn’t like fish.

I had asked grandma why my Mom can cook fish even when she hates them.
Grandma told me that it’s because my dad and I like fish.
Mom loves me and dad so much that she’ll even do things she doesn’t like.

I asked Grandma if I have to things I didn’t like if I love someone.
Grandma didn’t answer me. She told me that kids shouldn’t ask this kind of question.

A sound of door opening in the left.

The living room is now pitch-black, with our candle being the only light source…

We go to the area for bedrooms through the inverted world…

And found the door of Yu and Zhao’s bedroom open when we invert back.

Another page of diary is stuck on the wall.

Today, Grandpa went to see the old lady with us.
Grandma said I couldn’t enter the house and told me to go play outside.
I saw a small shed on the road with ‘vase girl’ written on it.
I was curious, so I bought a ticket.

A ticket of ‘Vase Girl’ is attached to the page and can be torn off.
"Vase Girl" was a common magic trick in early 2000s making use of the reflection of the light.
They look like this. Can be quite creepy even you know it's fake......
Vase Girl
Fortune-telling, All questions will be answered.

…We turn around to find a dim red light on the bed. And a strange silhouette can be seen inside the mosquito netting…
Image Image

There is a bottle and an empty bowl on the bed.
Or to be more precise, a vase
Image ‘If you wish to find the answer, you must give up something precious…’
Image Does it mean that one needs to give up something valuable before asking questions?

Two toy cameras appear after we turn around from the vase.

The photo is not inverted into the usual hand-drawn negative this time.

The parts can be moved with arrow kesy…

…to form a folded star.

With a shutter sound, it becomes a marble with the galaxy in it.

The other camera shows…

…A hand-drawn bird cage when inverted.
Image It sounds like something hits the window.

Blood smeared the window. There are black feathers on it.
Image ……

…It’s the black bird. Though only feathers remain…

On the body of the vase, it reads ‘If you wish to find the answer, you must give up something precious.’
We put the star in a marble, and the feather from a bird into the bowl.

……The head of a girl doll appears on the vase.
Image !!!
A female voice is coming from the vase.
Image What do you want to know?
Image …Who are you?
Image You’re using other people’s valuable possessions, so I can only answer questions about them.
Image Two items, two questions. What do you want to hear about?

> About Fangfang’s mother
Image After the father died, the grandfather beat up the doctor who treated his son.
Image The mother secretly visited the doctor.
Image She said the doctor was a good person who did nothing wrong.
Image So, Zhao Xiaojuan had an affair with Ye Jingshan?
Image I can answer each person one question only.

> About Ms. Chen
Image Miss Chen is different from other teachers.
Image She’s like a big sister, and she is very gentle to us.
Image But she’s also very mysterious.
Image I asked her why she came here to teach, she always answered…
Image ‘That’s a secret.’
Image ……

Image Image

Something can be heard as we walk back……

The award certificate on the wall has tilted.
Image ……

This is to certify that Tian Fangfang won the second prize in Qinghe city’s Secondary and Primary school essay competition.
15th, March, 2004.
There is a crack on the certificate, something seems to be hidden behind it.

This is to certify that Lin Lixun is an Outstanding Triple-A Student in the second semester of 1990.
30th June, 1990.

Image !!!
Image This is my certificate…
Image There is another crack on it…

……A news clip.
”News Clip” wrote:People’s Hero is IMMORTAL ——Commemorating the death of commarde Lin Zhongming
Zhongming (忠明) means ‘Loyal and clear-minded.’
Early 1987, Wei Baoping, an armed fugitive who committed crimes across many provinces, entered out city. Upon receiving the news, Officer Lin Zhongming led the hunt for him.
10th April, when searching through an apartment, Officer Lin Zhongming found Wei Baoping. Wei Baoping fired his gun at the police. Officer Lin Zhongming and his fellow police fought back. In the gunfight, Officer Lin Zhongming was shot in the head, and passed away in the line of duty at 10:40 pm, leaving his wife and 8-year-old son behind.
The last line is omitted in the English localization due to font size.
Image ……
There is yet another crack on the newspaper.

Outstanding Student Representative of Ningxi Town, Qinghe City
——The legacy of a hero Lin Lixun

There is supposed to be a photo of Lin under the headline…

But only a part of his shirt and tie appears after the sound of a shutter.
It seems this newsclip can be further torn…

A mirror is behind the picture frame.

BGM: 镜花水月 (The mirror)
……
After my dad died in the course of performing his duty, it seemed like my every move was being watched.
What kind of school I was admitted to, what honors I received, and my relationships with my classmates and teachers…
All those things that I acquired with my own hands…
In there eyes, were a continuation of my dad’s heroic spirit.

Image Officer.
Image Officer?
Image Officer Lin!

…Ms. Chen.
Image Ms. Chen…Where did you go just now?
Image I was about to ask you the same thing, I just turned around and you disappeared.
Image I saw you staring at Fangfang’s certificate blankly as I came in.
Image ……
Image By the way, I discovered that the door at the entrance was open.
Image There’s a dark staircase leading down.
Image Hmm, let’s go check it.

Ms. Chen is back with us again.

She seems to have something to say about the certificate……

It’s Fangfang’s normal certificate again.
Image This is the certificate Fangfang won in the city’s writing contest.
Image She was really smart and imaginative.
Image If she hadn’t passed away, she probably would have more opportunities…

Image It seems to be Fangfang’s bed, why is it piled up with stuff?
Image I don’t know, I remember hearing Fangfang say…
Image Her grandmother didn’t let her sleep in the same room with her mom since half a year ago.
Image She slept in her grandma’s room since then.
Image ……

One last inversion to go out…

It’s still drawn as a brick wall in the hand-drawn version…

The door really is open.
There is a dark staircase leading downward, you feel a cool gust of wind blowing through it.

Let’s go.

Chapter 3, the End. Video playthrough without commentary.
The achievement for clearing Chapter 3, 童趣奇缘 (A Wondrous Encounter of a Imaginative Child), is unlocked after the conversation with the Vase Girl.