Etrian Odyssey IV: Harper Hannighan's Crayfish-free Cooking Journal

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Ah, Snipers. Fun class but their master tree is a big oof. At least Squall Volley is good but it's a shame.

High Caution might seem like overkill in a game where blindsides are ridiculously uncommon, but it works on event blindsides! And some of those formations can be nasty as hell!

Chase Bind is very unfortunate. That was the result of a bug not causing the damage to scale. It's supposed to go up to 145%... which isn't great but at least it's something more than the poor 100% it's stuck with.

Silver Arrow has a couple of things that make it better than an Almighty attack. While it ignores the Stab damage multipliers, it's still considered Stab damage, so it benefits from attack buffs and defense debuffs, which Almighty damage typically doesn't outside of some exceptions.

I have no idea what the hell is up with Impact Arrow. Like uh. What the hell is this skill? Did they forget to give it Imperial tier damage or something?? Why is this a Master skill???

Oh Divine Shot. At least people can understand what this skill was going for, even if the penalties outweigh the rewards. This thing is just anti fun because most of the time, Squall Volley spam is just better.

I did a 5 Sniper run once, where you'd think it's be easier to set up for Divine Shot. Nope, it's even worse in that kind of run! The main problem is that only 1 person can use it, and that everyone spamming Squall Volley is actually objectively more damage.

Here's Update 10.

Not dead yet. Already got the next update mostly ready to go, but both my co-commentator and I are dealing with moving early next month, so it may be a bit before that gets posted. After that's done, hopefully I get more than one update out a month, as I have averaged so far...

Misty Ravine... exists. It's not relentlessly monochromatic, the music is alright but not what I'd call especially memorable, and the labyrinth gimmick is inoffensive white noise, which probably makes it one of the better second strata in the series IMO. Life there is pretty bad without a sniper to apply leg binds thanks to the resident Hollow population and their 50% base evasion, granted, but at the end it's still EO4 and EO4 is a game that likes the player well enough to want them to succeed.

Petaloids... also exist. They're a little rude if you don't kill them fast but they're not the unholy terrors they were in some other games. The Small Flower drops are appreciated though.

I've gotta say, I really like what you are doing with Harper's backstory. Your witing skills are top-notch.

Oh right I forgot that Charge Edge was a Veteran skill in this game, that's gonna be amusing. I also completely forgot the Dark Overseer was a thing at all. That's, uh... why *does* it get boss music, considering how much of a relative non-entity it is.

The party Fortress being forced to take a dirt nap by various formations remains evergreen, however.

Made an account just to say that this LP bangs. Love this series and love the LPs that you and others have done for it---please keep it up!

Here's Update 12.

Finally recovered from a few months of exhaustion! I already have Update 13 ready to go soon after this, so look forward to that.

Ah, sheep farming. I remember when that was a common piece of advice that spread like wildfire back in the day.

Yep, that's about what I was expecting Waylon to do to those FOEs. That poor, poor frog.

Here's Update 13.

And here's the overview for the next boss, Hollow Queen.

Voting is open for the Hollow Queen party! Please check the overview first before voting, to make sure you know what characters are guaranteed to be brought along.

Shelly, Xiaohu, Waylon

BIG DAMAGE BIG DAMAGE being responsible about add management what's that

Final voting results:
Xiaohu: 14
Naijou: 10
Shelly: 9

Waylon: 9
Marlin: 4
Merula: 3
Ace: 2
Shelly won the coinflip tiebreaker.

Update 14.

This entire LP really has been nothing but a string of excessive delays, huh? Unfortunately, the start of this year has not stopped kicking my ass mentally, but with winter being over and after a rejuvenating trip up to see my girlfriend earlier this month, I feel up to working on this stuff again. Hopefully I can finish the 3rd Land before the year is over...

EO4's pro-carnivore agenda on full display.

Update 15.

Life is continuing to kick my ass, unfortunately, hence the delay.

TIL larboard is an actual term, though I guess that's keeping with nautical terminology being cursed in general.