Gwahaha! You will suffer 10,000 pains for this stupid LP! Let's Play Laxius Power 3: The Final Terror!

Put your Let's Plays in here.
S02E06: Post-Modern Poetry

In which the Prime Psychopath says The Line.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well that sure was... some sort of dialogue right there. We get it, Indy, you horny.

Can't say that I'm a fan of Claude C. Kenni'sRandom's new look.

If there's one thing I've learned from Fire Emblem it's that people can charge at you on horses while indoors if they damn well feel like it.

RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:27 pm
Can't say that I'm a fan of Claude C. Kenni'sRandom's new look.
I was thinking more Cless Alvein/Cress Albane, but all three guys are pretty similar in design for sure.

About Pokemon Reborn being allegedly (its not) based on real events in RPers lives, which has come up in this thread and my prior LP thread, on SA:
Fleshwit wrote: Oh, right, I think someone did mention something about some of it being based on real-life stuff in my other thread. Before that I'd heard that it was all based on RP, so the real-life aspect was a bit of a shock. That does cast a pall over the game.
I've also been playing this a little here and there since the last episode finally come out last month, and they've added a lot of stuff here and there early on. Also early XP ALL thingy. Though I guess its possible some was added in E18. which I didn't play. But also relevant to the quoted post:

makes a lot of the outrage pretty funny in retrospect, ive asked before on the SA LP discord how much of the stuff in the game did people really really believe was real

S02E07: A prophecy... A slime... A grave...

In which A slime... A prophecy... happens and the Prime Psychopath faces loss at the big Tournament!
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok why is guandia kiwi now, that's just weird.

That ending sequence sure was something I watched. Oh well, that has to be the last we'll see of Thomas and his extremly flat jerkassery, right? Right?

Also lol that completely untranslated can't leave message.

S02E08: The Five Doors Barring The Way To Our Future

In which the Prime Psychopath Chaz!s up the asses of some doors. I mean the monsters behind the doors. And we Chaz! it up good!
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oh no, sarah bullshit.

That was... an epilogue, I guess. At least we got to party with Chaz! again. Goodbye Chaz!, you were tolerable.

we're keeping chaz!

S02E09: Millipuf!

The Stupid Elf hangs out in the woods.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well at least it's apparently short.

So short you didn't even use the SSLP Poster, geez I was looking to open your posts to read and then suddenly Sarah and got distracted from the SSLP of LP2 by the SSLP of LP2

And I guess Wendie got promoted through the power of Random Insisting She Be Educated

Cloudmonkey98 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:23 pm
So short you didn't even use the SSLP Poster, geez I was looking to open your posts to read and then suddenly Sarah and got distracted from the SSLP of LP2 by the SSLP of LP2

And I guess Wendie got promoted through the power of Random Insisting She Be Educated
If anything, Wendie got demoted. Given how shes meant to be a badass from long ago, I guess she was just That Far Ahead.

Also nah, I usually posted the current update directly in thread before I put it in the sslp test poster. This was at the recommendation of some other posters, since it makes it easier for thread readers to quote parts of the current update.

If you're catching up, well... lol sucks to be you, get fucked, etc. etc. lol.

S02E10: My Sarah... you shine like the sun.

The Stupid Elf becomes Queen Shit Elf.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

...well at least Sarah doesn't have Tiki's face sprite anymore.

Oh and I guess she kind of sort of made a friend(?) on her own and that'd almost be like agency if she didn't have to get beaten up to do it.

I have amended the end of the last post with the following scene I just remembered thanks to Errant talking about a completely different character in LP3 that i thought was this one and then i was like oh no i forgot the scene with her in LP2!!!! and then i went to get these screenshots and its not even her but its still of very slight importance.

Near the east exit to town, we can now find Lisa! If you don't remember, Lisa, I don't blame you. She was the SankT Leona Guardian we rescued from Kirai the necromancer at Balthus Cave. The party then let her stay at their hideout for the brief remainder of LP1.

Lisa mentions seeing Coryool a few times, and for some reason Sarah cares enough to ask about his romantic life.

Lisa implies she's a real lady magnet. Must be the work of those diamonds.

There's not much more than that. Lisa said she came through Mt. Zulle specifically because she knew Sarah was here. She's just going to journey around for a while, and hey, she wants to see everyone again. The two women say their farewells and part ways.

Pretty sure the phrasing is Lisa saying Coryool crushes on every girl he sees, not that she herself has girls crushing on her

Though I wouldn't say she doesn't either, she's cute enough I imagine
And geez Sarah's story is just like... really fast and kinda empty? Nice dye job though I suppose

Cloudmonkey98 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:07 pm
Pretty sure the phrasing is Lisa saying Coryool crushes on every girl he sees, not that she herself has girls crushing on her

Though I wouldn't say she doesn't either, she's cute enough I imagine
Oops! Well, I was half asleep when I wrote this quick amendment and misread it as 'like most girls'. Though I also knew what she actually meant and was making a joke out of it.

S02E11: It's No ZettaFlare!

In which the milquetoast teenage girl starts her new school life and also a cat is there.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not sure this teacher has done a very good job of teaching her anything. I also wonder why he was written to be such a cold hearted jerk. Is there going to be some backstory or later events that redeem him, somehow?

Don't think we find out much about Zanbard at all, ever, but I don't remember for sure.

About my only takeaway there is that wizards are assholes. So, par for the course, really.

S02E12: Lava Wall

In which the Nice and Smart teenage girl and a cat and some dude explore a volcano.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well. Okay. Telling your student to stick their hand in magma to gain the power of the LAVA ELEMENT certainly is A Direction.

Wizards! No sense of right or wrong.

S02E13: Demi-Goddess?? Is that what he means??

The dry as parchment teenage girl blossoms into the Superior Being and also a cat is there and gets even fluffier.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd say the whole Walkyrie thing is just some embarrasing SNAFU where Indy may have thought that we spell it with a W like in German but honestly considering what passes for logic here I could just be a fool for assuming it's something that normal. It's still probably more sensical than Yveen's whole half goddess spiel, which in turn honestly seems more sensible than Luci just straight up becoming Female Arcane Jesus because ???

S02E14: And Nothing Of Value Was Learnt.

Chaos Uncle does not get a job and instead sleeps for 7 months. Also we finish Laxius Power 2. Thank fucking Christ.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The real promotion was inside you all along. All you had to do was believe in yourself.

It's only appropriate that the segment of the story dedicated to the rejects had nothing going on, plot wise.

S03E01: DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY

At long last.

So. There's a lot to talk about here. Since this game is a big milestone for this series, Indy as a gamemaker, and even for this LP, I decided to make this update a dedicated OP for it. The first real update likely won't be very far behind this post though.

24th of December 2004, Laxius Power 3: The Final Terror was released. It got a lot of awards in the 2005 Misao's. Contradicting ones even.

I've posted about this during my prior LPs before but the Laxius series was as maligned as it was popular. I think most of it's popularity came from outside the RPG Maker community.

The 2005 Misao's are an infamous set of awards, here's what LP3 won:
Biggest Improvement:
Laxius Power 3: The Final Terror

Most boring game:
Laxius Power 3

Best Use of Sounds:
Laxius Power 3: The Final Terror

Most Non-Linear Game:
Laxius Power 3

Worst Game Title:
Laxius Power 3

Best Monsters:
Laxius Power 3

Biggest Disappointment:
Laxius Power 3

Best Medieval RPG:
Laxius Power 3

Best Atmosphere:
Laxius Power 3 : The Final Terror

Best Rm2k Game:
Laxius Power 3

Best Ending:
Laxius Power 3

Best Original Music:
Laxius Power 3

Best Epic Game:
Laxius Power 3

Best Custom Graphics:
Laxius Power 3

Best Gameplay:
Laxius Power 3

Best Sidequests:
Laxius Power 3

Best Character Development:
Laxius Power 3

Best Backstory:
Laxius Power 3

Most Replay Value:
Laxius Power 3

Best Map Design:
Laxius Power 3

Funniest Character:
Wendala, Laxius Power 3

Most Overhyped Game:
Laxius Power 3

Best Story:
Tie: Laxius Power 3
The Way Ep. 5

Best use of pictures in a game:
Laxius Power 3

Best use of lighting/shadows:
Laxius Power 3

Best Villain:
Rixian, Laxius Power 3

Best Graphics:
Laxius Power 3

Most Likeable Character:
Coryool and Wendala, Laxius Power 3

Best Cast:
Laxius Power 3

Best Animal Character:
Guanidia, Laxius Power 3

Hottest girl from an RM Game:
Goddess Yveen, Laxius Power 3

Best Complete Game:
Laxius Power 3

Best Game Series:
Laxius Power (series) 1-3

Game of the Year:
Laxius Power 3
Failed to win the Worst Failure though. These days you sometimes catch people talking about this like 'Ugh, I can't believe Laxius fanboys voted for the game they liked so much to win! How could they do that!' like they expected any different or that it's against the rules somehow or something.
A game shouldn't have fans that like it and vote for it in contests decided by voting!!!!

In terms of what the game is like, well, Indy thankfully ditched the style of the previous game. This is a lot more like Laxius Power 1 but also much better and more ambitious. And insanely buggy for that very reason.

Actually, I think I have a good comparison to make. Laxius Power 1 is Baldur's Gate 1 and Laxius Power 3 is Baldur's Gate 2.

The former two are about young people hitting the road for whatever reason and stumbling over a great conspiracy with the largest city in the region being the final destination of the game. Also, the Iron Throne HQ is an Evil Tower. On the way there you can explore lots of wilderness and smaller towns and do lots of quests and then become way too powerful for the rest of the game. The presentation is... competent but lacklustre. Very workmanlike.

BG2 and LP3 are much more polished in terms of presentation (while being insanely bug-ridden) and have a much larger focus on plot and... well in both cases it's hard to say they have great character development, but there's more focus on the characters, for sure and the stakes are higher. The game is still somewhat open, but you're operating out of the large city from the get go, for most of the game, rather than walking to it.
They're also both probably by far the better game despite being way easier.

Sadly, this game is probably far less influential on the RPG Maker community than BG2 was on CRPGs. Or at least I think most people inspired by it would not freely admit it.

About the bugginess, though. Over the years a few different people have made more and more fanpatches, even just this year.. and the game still had an insane amount of bugs left. But even more recently, like three weeks ago? When I resumed the LP? 'Swiriko' DM'd me on Discord, asking if I would like to try their newest patch out.

Well, hah. It's more than just a patch. It's basically fan made dlc or expansion. I won't be using it for now. It's not complete and it fixes up the English too much. I've had some fun with it though but it's also like... only half-complete as of right now. I think it'll be something we revisit down the line, for comparisons sake. Like if I get sick of Laxius Force at some point and need a break. Because boy for how compelling and gripping those games are in their crazy stories, they're a fucking slog to play. But as I said at the start of this thread, the Laxius Force trilogy is the real meat... the real reason this LP exists. We're still pretty much in the warm up phase.

You may have noticed two particular Misao Awards: Best Custom Graphics and Best Custom Music! Well!
Laxius Power 3: The Final Terror has 36 music tracks. 30 of them are by Indinera himself on a keyboard.
Three, I think, were composed by fans for LP3 (but I'm not sure, Indy may have found them somewhere), and I know two of the others are from big name music artists, and one is from Phantasy Star 2.

And custom graphics almost certainly means the new character art, because there's not all that much custom art in terms of tilesets, sprites and battle sprites and battle effects.

LP2 was the last we'll ever see of Indy's art. For LP3, a fan donated a lot of time and effort to Indy, and then for Laxius Force and on Indy has commissioned artists, I believe.

So. To begin. I have recorded and uploaded the opening cutscenes and explanations of the game. The title theme, which I feel perfectly suits this game in overall, sadly is not one of Indy's original pieces as I once thought many years ago.
It is 'Thursday the 12th' from Tony Banks (of Genesis!!) album 'Bankstatement'

PLEASE KINDLY WATCH
:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTEGzNlFYM:siren:

Even the name 'Thursday the Twelfth' perfectly suits this game, because:

One last thing: The content warning for this game!
Generally this game is much tamer than LP1 and LP2. There's no nudity besides like some map sprites and at least one boss fight sprite and ONE COUNT OF TASTEFUL DIVINE NAKEDNESS. There is one torture hell themed dungeon that's part of a sidequest iirc annnd part of the main plot does have sort of sexual imperilment thing going on, but nothing -happens- or is graphic.
The one and only homophobic slur in the whole series is said by an NPC you never need to talk to for any reason, buuuut the r-word does see a lot more usage in this game. This will go for Laxius Force as well. Very much a product of its time.

Also:
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sorry, Mr. Presumeably A Dark God, I didn't catch your name, you seem to have something caught in your throat.

That uh, certainly is a list of awards and I'm sure there was a lot of surrounding drama that would make me very glad that I don't pay attention to video game awards.

S03E02: Sweet Little God and the Money Device.

Our beloved psychopaths and a Would Be Goddess plus a very fluffy cat reunite!
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Really, can you blame Guandia for being an empty, sardonic shell after being forced to hang around these assholes for so long? Although maybe the overall tolerability will go up now that we have Chaz(!) providing moral support.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I dislike the cast of Laxius Power or Wrath or the Righteous more thanks to that Wendie comparison and I hate it.

S03E03: Day 1: Sweet Little God and The Throne Room

In which our beloved band of psychopaths, a fluffy ass cat and a nerd ass demigoddess meet the King over and over again.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So there's a horrible demon cult running around, the cops aren't doing anything about it (and some of them are actually the demons), and the highest levels of leadership have their collective thumbs up their asses about it.

Yeah that all seems on point.

Seraphic Neoman wrote: Oh wow this really is like BG2
Right up to and including wandering around the city looting and picking up quests, being amused and/or bemused or even annoyed by party banter and not doing most if any of those quests you picked up for a while.

S03E04: Day 2: The Looting and Burning of Metrolia Begins!

In which the party devastates the formerly safest city in the world with grabby hands and sharp tongues.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tis update took like 6 hours for like less than a hours gameplay because of how much stuff is going on plus me checking every event for everything to see where all the dialogues at!

Ananas is French for pineapple, as well as the name of the genus to which pineapples belong. :eng101:

It wouldn't surprise me if that slime sidequest was indeed an Exile 3 reference, even the location description kind of matches up with the location of the Slime Pit there.

Of course one of the bits of advice is DON'T TRUST ANYONE FROM OUTSIDE OUR PAYWALLED COMMUNITY. Thanks useless advice person.

RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:16 pm
Ananas is French for pineapple, as well as the name of the genus to which pineapples belong. :eng101:
Curious, since Indy used Pine Apple for the item that boosted Max HP in LP1. Wasn't a healing item back then. Hm. Might just meant to be a related fruit.

S03E05: Day 2: The Pillaging Comes To An End, But The Burning Never Will

Our beloved party of psychopaths, a fluffy goddess and a dull H-Lion finish wreaking havoc on the citizenrys belongings.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.