Ohhh... Library Battle SIMULATION: Let's Play Library of Ruina

Put your Let's Plays in here.
yeah, Phillip is basically a puzzle where the solution is "don't attack into feather shield" his attacking dice are weak and there's very little burn involved, so if you're not slamming yourself into the pain he can't achieve much.

When i first did philip i panicked and nuked him, somehow managed to beat him in feather shield.

Looks like we're doing the far left node next.

Appendix 16: Wedge Office
Oscar’s Page wrote: The 8 o’Clock Circus was a real sod of a case. Its leader wasn’t a particularly powerful enemy, but it took a long time to assess the strengths and behavior of each of his "crew". There was no specific pattern to it, and it was difficult to predict what would come next; it was akin to watching an erratic circus of lunacy. Their lair was mysterious and terrifyingly bleak, and the crew took hideous forms as well, looking too grotesque to possibly be considered normal living beings. They were as strong as they looked; when the blob shaped like a lion bit Pameli with its blunt teeth, her body quite literally blew up on the spot.

However, our enemies were slowly brought down from the vantage point, and when they were completely cornered, the leader escaped along with a few of his crew. Even though we couldn’t put an end to the case, we decided to prioritize recovering Pameli’s body as we deemed the Circus would be weakened enough to stay low for a while. As we stored Pameli’s head in a stasis preservation case and headed to the exit of the collapsing circus tent, we ran into a group of Fixers. They seemed rather exhausted after fighting a swarm of the crew outside. I suppose that’s why they couldn’t enter the tent until that moment. It’s not uncommon for two or more Offices of Fixers to be present at the scene of a finished case, so I gently nodded to greet them, identifying ourselves as Fixers of Wedge Office who have come here to solve the case. The shortest person among them… The aged-looking woman who appeared to be the representative of that group looked around the circus tent, let out a deep sigh, and introduced herself as Moses—of Moses’ Office—while smoking from her pipe. Moses then started thinking, presumably ruminating over what words to choose. She must’ve taken a request that’s rather tricky to disclose. The two people behind her nervously exchanging glances with each other appeared to be her bodyguards of some sort. Having such trivial thoughts, I waited for this Moses person to resume speaking. After a brief period of silence, Moses breathed out smoke in the other direction and asked me where the leader of the Circus went. Since I didn’t know much better than them, I told them what I could in brief. They seemed troubled by my unhelpful answer, but they soon accepted it and left the scene.

…That group reportedly appears every time a case of the Distortion is solved. They’re allegedly working as “The Distortion Detective”, but recent witnesses of their appearance were always followed with a Distortion case in the same location. While it’s unclear whether they’re involved in this case… I believe there’s enough reason to be wary of them.
Pameli’s Page wrote: Life insurance for Fixers is often a sham. A lot of them take your money never to give it back; even if you terminate your insurance, they won’t. It’s not easy for your damage to be insured, either. You have to be at death’s door to qualify, pretty much? The chances are as low as winning the lottery. And what if you just up and died? What can the dead do with money? You’ll be much better off making a savings account for an augment procedure or quality workshop gear. I was a very lucky case; keep in mind that this isn’t the norm at all. Insurance can sometimes be useful depending on its form and conditions, sure… But if you take the pay into account, it still doesn’t feel too great.
Pamela’s Page wrote: Basically speaking, people who visit our Office are looking for shrewd and precise situational assessment rather than combat prowess. The ability to make quick calculations for various possible scenarios and neutralize or kill the enemy with the least effort. We are hunters of the City. We Wedge pierce the requests we get with swiftness and precision.

Of course, our Office isn’t perfect in every regard, so we’re in partnership with a number of other Offices. Fixer Offices often request others for help when reinforcements or professional aid in specific areas is needed. In the case of our Office, we were sister Offices with Dawn Office, sharing more information than we did with most other partners. Oscar is good friends with Salvador—the man running that Office—and they’ve known each other for quite some time, but there’s more to this sisterhood than that. Wedge Office excels at analyzing the capabilities of foes, and Dawn Office specializes in combat, so it’s only natural that we go well together.
I'll also be adding a new feature today, in which forums user MiiNiPaa explains to us how the Shimmering AI works for any boss fights we see that have them. I've dubbed it…

MiiNiPaa's Shimmering Corner

Phillip internals: 230028
Once again, Burning Passion and Unstable Shell of Ego do nothing and Shimmering does everything. Unlike Tomerry, it also has total control of the number of speed dice. C — Consistency. As with Tomerry, background and music change is done by gifting bonus emotion coins to the enemy side.

Ego Phillip starts combat in Feather Shield mode, which reduces incoming damage (not stagger) by 5 and deals 2 burn to attacker. In this mode, he will use 2x Feather Shield (D3-7,D3-7,S2-4) and one Rueful Eventide (E2-5,D4-6,S2-5). Both of those have powerful block dice, which, together with -5 damage, make actually dealing any damage VERY difficult. This pattern will be active for 2 scenes.

On 3rd turn Phillip will switch to the Searing Sword mode. He will start to inflict 4 burn on hit and will use 2x Searing Sword (S3-7,P3-7) and one Fierce Charge (S4-10). A lot less dice total and lack of protection makes it the prime time for staggering him. Because this pattern lasts only for one scene and what follows is...

Blazing Strike mode. He gets another 2 speed dice. Phillip will use them to attack with 4x Searing Sword and one Blazing Strike (B30-40+3Burn). This kills the nugget. Your only chance to survive this is to either kill Phillip beforehand (preferred strategy), or have higher speed than him, and stagger him before he had chance to use BS, cancelling it. You can also redirect attack to the librarian, who will die anyway, but this is unsportsmanslike. Lasts for once scene and after that pattern starts again with Feather Shield mode.

If Phillip starts scene staggered, no mode bufs will be applied (no damage reduction and burn on hit, if he is staggered in Feather Shield mode), and pattern will not progress. This means that you cannot skip phase by staggering Phillip (unlike Tomerry, where it was intended mechanic), only delay it (Blazing strike counter will accurately reflect that). As with Tomerry, if Phillip gains speed dice by gaining Emotion Level 4, it will be left unused, since he will not be given enough cards to utilize it.

Book 24: Kurokumo Clan—Chapter 1

Music: Lobby

Image Why are we here, Angela?

Image An experiment. During the upcoming reception, have yourself and your helpers work in an advisory role.

Image To what end?

Image I wish to increase our combat capabilities.

Image …I'll leave it up to my team.

Image Why not? It'll be nice to leave the wet work to someone else for once.

Image I also approve of observing the humans of this place further.

Image Mmm… I doo prefer waatching… It's coozy…

Image There you have it, I suppose.
Image Given that you are not leaving, I'll assume you've consented.

VIDEO
Music: StorySimgak

Image If you’re out of money, then you shouldn’t have asked for more protection from us, no?

Image We aren’t safe here, either. Thugs could break in at any moment…

Image I thought maybe we could expect better from the household with the highest income around here.

Image Please do. These people will have to become accustomed to the rules of the Backstreets soon enough.

Image Hey, consider this a free lesson for you.

Music: STOP

There's the sound of footsteps.

Music: StoryAlley

Image Please have mercy on us… You can’t be such heartless people…

Image And did you spare any mercy for us while we struggled in the Backstreets, covered in filth and blood? No, you simply spectated our suffering from the comfort of the Nest, did you not? It’s rather infuriating now that I think about it. Yang, let us take an eye from them as well.

Image Yes, dame~

Image Got your arms first.

Image We didn’t ask for this, you people came into our house all of a sudden and threatened us to pay protection money…

Image So have we kept you safe or not? I’m pretty sure we took care of all the bad guys trying to get here.

There's some of the usual squishy violence sounds for both the arm and the eye removals.

Image What do we do… How are we gonna live now…

Image The Nest fell so suddenly…

Image What a bunch of crybabies. We’re being quite generous as Backstreets businesses go.

Image Now, now~ We’ll be going then. Please don’t forget today’s lesson: If you receive something, you should return that favor accordingly. Imagine if it was the Ring protecting this area, not us… Dear, the thought alone is terrifying.

Image Oh, and please leave this house by tomorrow. Gin, confiscate the apartment deed from these people, will you?

Image You’ll be visited by much less pleasant fellows next time, so you’d better move out as soon as possible~

Image Ah, by the way, Gin. How is the current situation with L Corp’s Nest?

Image It’s fierce. This is the first time in a long while the Thumb and the Index got in a turf war over an area. Everyone must be thinking this is the promised estate or something.

Image The same can be said for us, no?

Image On another note, the ‘Rusted Chains’ already proved to be an issue, but we’ve been colliding with ‘Blade Lineage’ more often these days.

Image Perhaps we should have a friendly conversation with them before the tension overheats.

Music: StoryNervous

Image What are you.

Image Got some gains with your business?

Image She has the head of a dog? A dog in black coat? Are those kinds of surgeries hip with the kids these days?

Image Captain, that appears to be the one recently dubbed as ‘L'heure du Loup’.

Image Oh? So she’s a wolf, not a dog? Still appears to be a little bitch to me.

Image Let’s see, we have around a hundred Kurokumo punks ‘ere.

Image You speak as if you can take us all on.

Image That’s the plan, yeah.

Image Let us teach that pup a lesson.

The sounds of an absolute beatdown ensue.

Music: StoryChaboon

Image I coulda crushed you like bugs even before I turned into what I am now. Alright, why don’tcha gather round and kneel. The dead… Welp, they can’t be helped.

Image …What is it that you want?

Image Ehey, I have plenty of wants, gal. Wanna have a ton of cash in my hands. Wanna live in a Nest for once, too.

There's another solid THWACK sound here.

Image Whoa~ Look at their skull go. Flew right outta the park, homerun.

Image Tell us what you demand from us.

Image Oh, ah, what I want from you guys? Right, that was the point. First off, the piece of cloth you’re carrying? Gimme that.

Image …This Nuovo Fabric is for the Thumb, though?

Image My boss showed interest in that thing. Heard that’s a pretty nice cut o’ cloth. Guess he wants us to suit up before the performance.

Image You must know the consequences of making an enemy of the Thumb.

Image The Thumb? Pft, tell ‘em to bring it on. I’mma smash ‘em all.

Image The Library…? The building that is rumored to be at the center of this Nest?

Image Yep, that thing.

Image So you are after the wealth this land can bring, after all.

Image I told ya that’s not it. I do wanna earn some bucks, but music comes first.

Image But for what reason…

Image Beats me. My boss… No, I mean the orchestrator of our ensemble wants us to get rid of all those noisy Syndicates like the Thumb or the Index so that we can make some music. In fancy suits, too.

Image And help out the Library while we’re at it.

Image Help out the Library?

Image Shush, gal. Keep your eyes low if you don’t wanna get dead.

Image ……

Image Go on ahead. C’mon, get going already.

Image If you don’t use that invitation right now, I’ll kindly remove all the bones from your flesh.

Image …Let us prepare to go, everyone.

Image Your hands are shaking, galie. You sure you’re alright? Are ya mad at me by any chance?

Image …No, it’s nothing.

Image And one more thing: If you run off without the books in your hands, you’re also dead to me.

Image Looks like the Fingers are fiercely wrestling for the ownership of the Nest that L Corp. once had reign over.

Image Why would they, though?

Image Ever heard of holdouts? When a Wing is broken, its Nest collapses and gradually turns into a slum akin to the Backstreets. It becomes a lawless land without an owner to uphold anything. Then a bunch of Syndicates come rushing in to occupy the land in advance.

Image What happens next?

Image The vacancy in the Wings won’t stay open forever; when a new Wing rises and gets assigned a Nest, the Syndicate resells that land to the Wing. Of course, the Wing can choose to hire Fixers or other Syndicates to kick out that Syndicate with force instead, but that’s another story.

Image What will happen to the feathers living in the Nest?

Image Those folks? Well, they’re all on their own. Hire a Fixer, or get evicted to the Backstreets, or try and join another Wing, or anything. A Nest without its Wing is no longer a safe haven for its residents.

Image That’s typical of the City.

Image If you can’t grasp whatever opportunities you find with your own hands, you’re bound to fall behind.

Image …That looked like a case of the Distortion.

Image Distortion? That’s not exactly what I imagined.

Image Indeed. She appears to be highly rational.

Image You call that rational?

Image She seems much more rational than you are, at the very least.

Music: Entrance:

Image Where the hell did that bitchhead come from?! How dare an impudent whelp like her bite at us superior beings!

Image Calm down, Captain. Let’s report this to the Thumb right after we take care of this.

Image Huu… Yes, let us do that.

Image It’s ridiculous that someone could treat us Kurokumo Clan, a Thumb subsidiary, with such disrespect.

Image Hear, hear. Although we’re in a bad situation… The books listed on this invitation are tempting offers for sure.

Image It seems that The Carnival have ended up turning into books.

Image And this book… is related to the Nest of L Corp, too.

Image How did you manage to collect the books we need the most?

Image Such is the role of the Library.

Image This place exudes the smell of blood.

Image And you reek of blood as well, dear guests.

Image Oh my, do we?

Image Let’s hit up a bathhouse for a warm one once we finish this.

Image Good idea. There’s nothing like a good bath to blow off some steam on a bad day.

Image Drinks are on me. Are there even any bathhouses or pubs left in L Corp’s Nest, anyway?

Image That’s a fair point. We have so much to report and take care of, so much to think about…

Image Are you done with your chitchats now?

Image How pushy… Now then, shall we head inside?

Image May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Far less than 100 Kurokumo Clan members.

Videos

Kurokumo Clan 1

Image Hey, boss… why's it so noisy up here all of a sudden?

Image Angela's in the middle of some experiment. It's supposed to help us in combat.

Image Sounds troublesome.
Image Yeah…

Image In that case… I'm relying on you, boss!
Image For what?

Image Getting us all out of whatever it is that she's cooking up. What else?

Image I'll do my best, but it's not like I can override her decisions.

Image Then I'll accept just getting me out of it instead.

Image That's definitely not happening. If I'm in, you're all coming with me.

Image Suppose I was too optimistic for thinking our jobs'd be easier when we got more people, then.

Image Seems like it…

Image But hey, we're not doing anything now.

Image True. Gotta' savor the downtime we've got.

Image Ain't it the truth. Pass the popcorn?

Image Ehh… alright, I guess.

is tanya french or british. is this ever actually clarified in game. She uses a French title but then she goes and says "innit" like a British person. ARE YOU FRENCH OR BRITISH

Yeah, that's the only real commentary I have about this, these people aren't too memorable.

Iirc it translated to something like "The hour/night of the wolf".

Book 24: Kurokumo Clan—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Image Are you really sure you want to go through with this, Tiphereth? One of our floors could—

Image I'm going! I can pull my weight just fine, same as all of you.

Image It's not because you're weak or anything. Our floors are more developed… That means we have Abnormalities to back us up, and the stability means an increase in power overall.

Image Don't need 'em!

Tiphereth is using a gun build, and since she has a maximum Emotion Level of 1, I've opted to remove the Aiming for Bullseye and put in additional 1-cost pages. Playing with an underdeveloped floor means we need to plan for a much lower Light curve than we're used to.

Tylana is using a fairly standard deck. 3 Loosen Ups will keep her rolling in Light, and Flash of Sunup will make sure her hand remains full. We won't be able to spam her 3-costs as much as we'd like, so we'll need to make them count.

As for Omni, we'll be using the 2-cost Shuffle Hands for our drawtech. Bottom Deal will give us more advantage, so we should be able to keep our hand full. Our lower number of 3-costs should also let Omni get away with playing one less Loosen Up. His final passive is a simple +1 to Blunt Stagger damage.

Image Couldn't you just use Olga..?

Image And miss out on wearing this suit? Never.

Olga's Key Page would have been a great move here. It doesn't really need Emotion Levels to function, as having just one will let us pull off Daring Decision + Gamble, which is all we really need. However, I didn't think of it until writing this post I didn't feel like using it for the fourth time in a row.

Today we have another 2 floor, 2 Act fight with 3 opponents. The first act is a trio of basic Kurokumo Clan henchmen.

The Kurokumo Clan's main gimmick is inflicting Bleed. Every Key Page has the Razor Strike passive, which adds 1 Bleed to any successful Slash attack the character makes. A number of their pages also inflict Bleed on their own, meaning that if we tank a lot of hits we can easily bleed ourselves out.

Music: TipherethBattle01

Image It's time. Remember to follow—

Image I know what I'm doing!

Image …Then proceed as normal.

Clean Up is another Light restoration page. It costs 1 Light instead of the usual 0, restores 2 instead of 1, and its one die can inflict Bleed on its own. All three of the Kurokumo Henchmen are using it this turn—which is odd, because they all have full Light. :shrug:

Their single die does make Transpierce a great response, though!

Tiphereth's background slowly changes color as time goes by, the light regularly pulsing in strength. It's a very cool-looking effect, and the floor is one of the prettiest in the game. :allears:

Image Alright, team. It's opening night, and we only get one chance to make a first impression. I'll be shooting the center one.

Image Transpierce should handle the bottom, and I'll have a block left over for the other guy.

Image I'm going to hit things and look cool doing it!

Image Good enough. Let's do this. Yesod, keep us apprised of anything major like that E.G.O from before.

Image Right.

Image That seems like it worked nicely.

Image I just hope we can get through this like always.

Image They don't seem to hit very hard, at least..?

Image Then I'll open 'em up before they can change that!

Image I think we're doing pretty well… how 'bout you guys?

Image About as good as could be expected.

Image I think I'm bleeding…

Image Two of them are primed for disposal. Don't waste too much energy on them.

Image Got it.

Dark Cloud is an interesting page, which gives every Slash die played for the rest of the turn an additional stack of Bleed. This stacks with the dice's own effects, as well as the page's effect—it can create a lot of Bleed, very quickly. It's wasted on these Henchmen, though… their single Speed Die means it only affects itself, and one of its two dice is Blunt.

Either way, Crack of Dawn will stop it nicely.

Image I've got a bead. Ready?

Image Anytime, boss.

Tiphereth rips off over half of the remaining Henchman's Stagger Resist before anyone can move.

This allows Tylana to knock them for a loop with a good Crack of Dawn roll.

Image I got one! Gotta' say… not so bad.

Image Second enemy's down.

Image Ooh, nice victory pose!
Image It's just how this body makes slashing attacks.

Image The enemy's down! It's time for—

Image Cut that out.
Image Huh? We're not doing it?

Image This is work, not some kiddy TV show.

Image We've got to remain professional.
Image I bet if you watched them, you'd enjoy them…

Image That's besides the point.

Image While you guys were talking, I went ahead and finished off the final target.

Image Think you could turn off the light show for the next fight, boss? I'm really not a fan of when it goes bright.

Image That's all outside my control, sorry.

Image I'll have to make do.

The second Act puts us against the three named characters, who are all a bit stronger than the rank-and-file members.

Sayo herself is the strongest of them, with a Slash version of the +1 Power ability. Battle Ready is also a nice ability, letting her start with 2 extra pages in hand.

Yang, meanwhile, deals more additional Bleed when he hits due to Digging Shank. Thankfully, it doesn't stack with Razor Strike—only dice that already inflict Bleed get this effect.

Lastly there's Gin. Gin has the weakest of the extra passives in this fight, since he only inflicts the extra Bleed upon winning a clash. He's still annoying, but mostly because of his deck—we'll get into it.

Music: TipherethBattle01

Image A child? They were slain by a child?

Image Dame, be careful. She's carrying a firearm. Even a child firing it could deal damage.

Image If they hit. She's too small to even fire the gun right.
Image I'm not a kid!

Image They're making the boss mad… that's bad, right?

Image For them, anyways.

This clash is to take the focus off of Tiphereth, who is targeting Yang with both of her dice. Sky-Clearing Cut is itself a relatively interesting page, since its weak first die can make the second die much stronger if it should lose a clash. It's still ultimately not that great.

Sharpened Blade is a 2-cost that works like Refine for Slash dice. On Sayo, that means a single one of these is a 4-6/4-6/4-5, and therefore this is a very stupid clash to be taking.

Silent Mist is also a decent 2-cost that gives 3 Protection on the next turn. Shuffle Hands is basically a toss-up with it, but this is also a terrible clash to be taking.

The reason for this is because we're using Tiphereth's floor, specifically. Our Light gauges are already maxed out. Because of this, our fundamentals need to change—our opponents will be getting free Light refills as the fight goes on, and we won't. We need to be making sure they fight tooth and nail for every single Emotion Coin they generate. This means we only want to be Clashing if one of three things is true:

-An enemy is going to become a book that turn (+3 Negative Emotion means the entire enemy team will be leveling up regardless).

-That enemy is our current target to defeat.

-We have low enough HP/SR that it requires us to clash to avoid taking damage.

Every clash that isn't on Yang is a mistake, since he's going to be our first target.

Image Come now. Let's teach them not to trifle with the Kurokumo Clan.

Image Should we start with an arm, or a leg?

Image We're in a hurry… just lop off their heads and be done with it.

Image If you keep underestimating us, you're going to be lining our shelves!

Image What the-?!

Image You were too focused on this one's… plumage?

Image It's a gene mod.

Image I'll never understand children today…

Image That's a nice eyepatch. It do anything?

Image Nothing too unusual.

Image Cool, cool. Tell me who made it, later?

Image One of us will be leaving here dead.

Image No biggie. I'll just read it from you after this.

Image Hm. Not even a limb gone..?

Image As if I'd even feel an attack of that level!

Image Don't tell them, but these guys pack a punch… We'll have to finish them off quickly.

Image I'll take care of the one you knocked off-guard, then.

Image Tylana, you take on Gin, then.

Image Hold on a moment, Tiphereth. There's something you should know.

Image What's up?

Image He's stacking defenses at an alarming rate. Attacking him right now won't have any real effect.

This is Gin's thing—most of his deck stacks 3 Protection on either the current turn or the next turn. When he's comboing Scattering Slash on top of 3 Protection, it's a good idea to avoid attacking him entirely. His one 2-7 Slash die isn't going to do a lot of damage, and any attacks we make on him will just bounce off anyways.

Image Right. New plan: pile onto Sayo. You can handle her attack, right?

Image I've got just the thing.

Image This fight's already won, isn't it? There wasn't much point in providing that information.

Image We're here to perform a job, and that job is to help guide the people on the battlefield. Whether or not they need it, we'll do whatever we can to avoid additional casualties.

Image In other words, he's worried about our people down there.

Image Aha! So I didn't understand it because it was such a humanesque way of thinking…

Image You mean… noon-humanesque… riight..?
Image Yes, that is precisely what I meant!

Image I'm getting quite tired of you hiding behind that weapon of yours.

Image Should the lady who only lived because she hid behind her underlings be saying that?

Image Yap all you like… you're doing the same thing.

Image And look, here one is now. Come for another lesson, little duckling?

Image I'll pass, thank you.

Image I learned plenty from that first hit!

Image How dare you..!

Image Do you have any idea what I do to people who dare strike me?!

Image Kneel down and beg for mercy?

Image That's it. You're foie gras, you ugly little ducky.

Image Quite the battle they're having, huh?

Image She's angered the Dame… she's not long for this world.

Image Maybe… but neither are you guys. If you'll pardon.

Image Get back here!

Image Double-edged surefire killing technique!

Image Yang… you weren't supposed to fall here. Gin.

Image Yes, Dame.

Image We'll have to get serious if we're to have any chance.

Music: GuestBattle02

Image Of course, Dame.

Much like our floors themselves, the Guest battle theme also has higher level versions. Our low Emotion Level cap means that if a fight goes on to long, their music's going to override ours. It's a shame since I like TipherethBattle01, but what can you do? :shrug:

Image My ammo's low. How're you guys doing?

Image The forbidden power in my blade… now that I've unleashed it, it cannot be quenched by mortal hands!

Image …Tylana, translation?

Image I think he's good to go..? Which is good, since I'm bleeding out of my everything.

Image I'm showing seven stacks of Bleed. If you attack twice, you'll take about 12 of your 47 health.

Image Eugh. Really not a fan of this.

Tiphereth's basically out of gas, but we're in a strong position to win the fight from here without even getting into our having a second floor.

Image These things really fall off after the opening salvo…

Image But what a salvo, right?

Image True enough.

Image …Still standing. Some 'power' that turned out to be.

Image When my right arm fails me… I always have my left!

Image Hff…

Image It didn't reach..?

Image Oh, it reached. I just blocked most of it since I wanted you to come in close.

Image It makes this a hell of a lot harder to dodge!

Image This may look bad… but there isn't a choice but to go forward.

Image Heey… Kataana ladyy..?
Image Why is there a voice in my head? Is this another of the Library's tricks?

Image Soort of..? I'm just watchiing… But I had a queestion…

Image Fine. Ask it.
Image You surrendered to that Tanya lady when it was cleear you couldn't wiin… Why not noow..?

Image Such a naive question. When you're dealing with a bitchhead like that, there's a possibility of escape if you're obedient. But the Library..? Tell me, do you know what people say about you?

Image …Noo..?

Image The Library is an unfeeling killer locale, whose monsterous inhabitants won't provide mercy nor accept surrender. What sort of idiot would kneel if they'll lose their head in any case?

Image Aahh… Then… I have another questionn…

Image You're trying my patience.

Oh, Sayo's finally playing her signature page! Ink Over is a page whose first die gains +1 power for every page in the user's hand. Right now, Sayo has 1 page in hand so it's a 2-7 die (3-8 after her passive), but since it can easily grow to a 8-13 off of a larger hand it's a threat if it comes out early. Here, she must not have drawn it until now.

I really shouldn't be clashing it with Loosen Up, but it's not like I've ever let that stop me before. :v:

Image When we beat yoou… do you think your books will get your boosses to show..?

Image My, aren't you full of yourselves? I hope it does. Even the lowest Soldato commands enough respect that our entire family listens without question.

Image So uultimatelyy… you're just leaning on theeir name… Goot it…

Image Hey! Stop having conversations with the enemy on my time!

Image Yes, maa'aam…

Image They're practically just bouncing off at this point…

Image It's that Protection he has—attacks will do significantly less damage.

Image So annoying…

Image You're telling me… I think I did more damage to me than him with this one.

Image You did.

Image …thanks.

Image Thank that disembodied sloth you have for what's about to happen to you.

Image We have a what, now?!

I should not have even gotten a tie on this clash, I'll take it.

Image Omni, you're taking too much damage. Back off!

Image There's no need. I've got this all figured out!

Image What the hell are you on?

Image Ghh-When people die, they turn into books, right?

Image That's what I've heard, so would you please hurry and become one for me?

Image Not now, you! Anyways, people become books—so we never see the body.

Image Oh geez. This is one of your stupid 'special training' things, isn't it?

Image It's so obvious! If we never find the body, then there's no proof we actually die at all!

Image …I guess there's no cure for your idiocy, is there?

Image I've seen it bear out before. I'm sure it'll be fine this time!

Image After all, if nobody is actually dying, then it's fine to go all out!

Image Human! Your body will give out if you push yourself to that extent much longer!

Image Appreciated, but it's fine!

Image …boss..?

Image Forget about him. Just focus on keeping yourself alive.

Image Stay out of my way, or I'll crush you!

Image What is this guy… he's insane!

Image She's still standing!

Image Then I'm on my way!

Image If you swing… then you're going to fall apart.

Image That doesn't matter!

Image Hah… hahah. I've weathered it. Foolish brat… You never had a chance…

Image Dame!

Music: GuestBattle03

Sayo's death kicks Gin into Emotion Level 4, and this triggers the third level of Guest music. While all floors have a Level 3 music (and all of them are bangers), we won't be hearing any of our own for a while. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Image That moron couldn't be helped… It's unfortunate, but let's finish before anyone else dies.

Image Right.

Image That damned wolf… if not for her, none of this would have happened. Was this what she wanted..?

Image It's a little late to be pondering that sort of thing.

Image …That's all of them. Let's clean up and head home.

Image Of course.

Image The test is concluded. Was it to your satisfaction?

Image Yes, you've done an excellent job. Thank you, Yesod.

Image …You're welcome.

The Kurokumo Clan is ultimately kind of a joke. Their focus on Bleed isn't enough to manage to get through two floors, and at this point all of our best pages are either Slash-neutral or Slash-endured, meaning they have great difficulty really putting damage onto our team. They're the easiest way to break into the second tier of Urban Plague, and we're able to clown on them as a result.

Music: Result

Image We're leaving the cleanup to them this time, right?

Image That was the deal. Let's get back to our floor.

Image Hnnhnn… hmhmhmhm..! HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Image Great. Now there's two of them. :psyduck:

Image Did you guys see that?! That was awesome!

Image Awesome or not, it was a waste! Don't get yourself killed for no reason!

VIDEO

Image You always say that. Is there any real difference?

Image You heard what that doghead said? Now we have the Thumb, the Index, and whatever third party she belongs to. It doesn’t sound like a random run-of-the-mill Syndicate, seeing how she talked to the members of a Finger with so much confidence.

Image It seems it’s not just the major Syndicates that have incentive to be involved in a turf war like this, if smaller Syndicates are meddling in so willingly.

Image Well, basically. Whatever goods the head honchos take interest in are naturally gonna attract the attention of those below them. The Thumb or the Index probably won’t take direct action for now, but their subordinates are nothing to sneeze at. Grabbing their attention might be beneficial for the Library’s wealth of info… But it’s gonna be tough for us to stop them if we escalate things any further from here.

Image I just hope the other Fingers stay out of this, things would get out of hand otherwise…

Image I’m fine with it as long as the results benefit us.

With this, we've successfully finished nearly all of Urban Plague. There's only one node left, and we'll be hitting it next time.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Image Let's find out if the wait was worth it, shall we?

Videos

Kurokumo Clan 2
Steve solo attempt (The thread put me up to this; we do not have the tools we need to succeed right now)

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Yeah...these guys are so forgettable battle-wise that I initially assumed most of their combat pages came from a different battle and entirely forgot who Gin even was. Sayo is the only one I actually consistently remember the name of. A shame, because they are very stylish.

Appendix 17: Kurokumo Clan
Sayo’s Page wrote: The Hand of the Backstreets is possibly the biggest reason no one dares to take care of the lawless land that is the Backstreets; no Associations or Wings can touch it, and not even the Head itself can easily interfere. The five Syndicates at the apex of the Backstreets are called the Thumb, the Index, the Middle, the Ring, and the Pinky, namely. They parcel out districts of the Backstreets and comprehensively manage their territories, and periodically hold meetings to efficiently control the Backstreets. They call this conference the “Finger Bow-Bell”; I’m uncertain as to whether this name is meant to suggest that they actually make pinky swears not to invade each other’s territories, or if they call it as such simply because the Fingers gather in one place… The mind of higher-ups is a mystery, truly. Going back to the topic, when the Finger Bow-Bell nears, all members of the five Fingers will try to avoid conflict and refrain from causing big problems. It’s thanks to the leaders of each Syndicate who caution their subordinates that fights between smaller Syndicates could grow into a massive conflict between the big ones, perhaps… If subsidiary Syndicates ran into trouble, the seniors at the Finger Bow-Bell would be faced with quite the embarrassment, now wouldn’t they?
Yang’s Page wrote: There are two kinds of folks who hang around in the Backstreets at night: the predator and the prey. Pretty much everything going on in the City can be described as ‘savage’, but the other parts of the City at least put up the effort to package them in gentlemanly guises. Even a cheap hamburger made from whatever unspeakable ingredients is still wrapped in a modern and rich packing, yeah? On the other hand, the Backstreets at night are filled with raw and blatant barbarity; not even a layer of crude cover is there to censor this brutality. No deed is forbidden… No one is held responsible. Imagining the most appalling, vulgar, and filthy deed you can think of. I won’t dare say “beyond your imagination” since I have no idea how insane you might be. But I can guarantee that whatever you’re thinking casually happens somewhere in the dark alleys of the Backstreets at night.

Despite all that, people still inhabit the Backstreets. They doggedly struggle and survive in their own ways here.
Gin’s Page wrote: A fallen Nest no longer has an owner to protect its inhabitants. What happens to them, then? In the wreckage of the Nest that’s gradually turned into an environment similar to the Backstreets, all they can do is accept horrible deaths as Backstreets residents do or hire a Fixer… Or pay protection fees to one of the powerful Syndicates that enter the Nest and be under their care. Some move to a different Wing, but this is an exceptionally rare case. The Syndicate may charge ridiculously expensive fees, but they will keep you safe for sure once you pay them. (If an even stronger Syndicate comes in, drives off the others, and asks you to pay a protection fee… Then there’s no choice but to give your new protectors what they ask for.) They’ll protect you with their lives as long as you still have money to pay. The assets will become useless when you die anyhow, so you might as well spend it to extend your life for just a little longer. The former feathers don’t have a choice in this matter. If they don’t pay the fee, they’ll die or get kicked out. It would be a miracle to walk out unharmed.
A Kurokumo Henchman’s Page wrote: “You hear that news? We’re about to collide with Kingfishers again.”

“Kingfishers? Don’t remember that name at all. Were they a real thing?”

“You know, the Syndicate that’s been struggling with finance and feuds between members recently. They seemed to be getting back on their feet after raiding the Constellars, but it looks like that didn’t last long.”

“They were irrelevant chumps, so I completely forgot about ‘em.”

“The Knots seemed to be after them… Maybe they finally hit ‘em.”

“Weaklings will get hounded.”

“And now they’ve been trying to invade our territory, desperate to loot anything.”

“Doesn’t matter. Their names wouldn’t be so unmemorable if they were any strong. Taking ‘em down shouldn’t be a problem.”

“And the Fixers at Clam Office that were cooperating with them from the back are gone, too…”

“Clam? What are they about?”

Book 25: Musicians of Bremen—Chapter 1

Our final fight of the chapter is the one above our first fight of the chapter. It's finally time to see what Full-Stop Office unlocked.

Image Angela… I was in the middle of a siesta. Are we fighting?

Image Not today. I'd like you to watch over the battle this time. Previous results have been satisfactory, but I'd like one more test.
Image If you say so. What'm I doing?

Image Your duty is to help guide the team engaged in combat. Please ask Yesod if you have any additional questions; he's familiar with the procedure. I must return to my duties.

Image That viper, eh..? I'll figure it out as I go.

Image I'll go ask… You try and hold things down here, okay?

Image I'll do my best.

VIDEO

The lack of a music link isn't an error. There's no music here, just the sound of grinding and some kind of scale playing on a xylophone or something. It feels very chaotic.

Image District 9 is the sacred ground for music! It’s the homeland of ‘The Pianist’!

Image Are you still bothered by what Heehaw said?

Image Of course I am… This might be our last performance ever if we go to the Library…

Image Just shake off all of your worries with the exciting music~

Image Oink, if you keep getting distracted by petty concerns like that and half-ass your part, I’m gonna use you as my instrument.

Image Seconded~

Image You guys are still new, so you’ll have no idea the troubles we had to go through to perform back in my day~ Me, Doodle-doo, Woof, and Heehaw formed this band and devoted all of our time to music so that we could recreate the beautiful, beautiful performance we listened to on that fateful day! So quit gawking and concentrate on the music!

Image The Pianist’s performance… Yes, I know! I left the Seven Association’s Section 3 and joined this band because I just couldn’t forget that sweet melody… I wanted to make music like that myself… Even if it meant I have to give up everything I had…

Image Yeah~ Remember the enchanting tune that echoed through the whole City.

Music: StoryJinji

Image The lovely sound created from each stroke of the tendons. It made me realize how beautiful the sounds a human can make in the hands of the right performer~

Image Especially the ensemble with Fixers at the finale! At the end of that intense concerto, the Fixers became one with the piano and assimilated into the music. How I wish I could’ve been there…

Image Ahem, speaking as someone who watched the performance right at the scene, the finale was soooo wonderful, you know? The musical score and notes literally unraveled before my eyes~ The Fixers ran across the score and charged at the Pianist… They were buried under the notes one by one, their bodies blowing up… But they couldn’t die there; they became part of the piano, spewing out fragrant notes.

Image Yes… That performance… The heavenly music that pierced me…

Image Well, but then the Black Silence intervened and cut off the Pianist’s hands and head. A total mood killer. I wanted to be part of that performance, too~

Image Boohoo… I wanna do it too… I wanna make music that’s half as good as the Pianist’s… But look at me… No matter how much I smash the ankle bones, pluck the tendons, and scrape flesh from the splint bones of my instruments, I can’t even get close to it… And Heehaw and Doodle-doo… said things…

Image No, Oink… There’s no need to be so impatient. It’s true that we still have a long way to go before we can perform like the Pianist did…. But we are getting close, you see? If we pour our heart and soul into our performance everyday, we’ll be able to make it one day… The performance by Doodle-doo, Heehaw, and Woof was wonderful, wasn’t it?

Image Yeah! The three gave a fantastic performance! They went on a trip to prepare for the next, so we won’t get to hear it again for a while, though…

Image Of course~ Let’s discuss this again after we finish this performance and handle the Library job Heehaw gave us. She said there’s gonna be a performance bigger than ever. And we might find new instruments in the Library, you know?

Image Yeah… I’m excited to see that performance Heehaw mentioned…

Image Lemme see… Aha! Why don’t we perform in a supermarket next time~? Oink likes supermarkets, right?

Image I’m in, too~! It’s fun to mess around with all kinds of instruments in supermarkets.

Image Thanks, Meow… Thanks, MuMu… I’ll practice harder!

Image All right! Gear up, everyone!

Image “From break and ruin, the most beautiful performance begins…”

Image What, are you interested in listening to the Pianist’s music?

Image No way. I’ve heard that kind of music more than enough times.

Image …There was another dotty musician like the Pianist?

Image It’s similar, but not exactly the same. How about you, did you hear the Pianist’s music yourself?

Image Duh. It’d be a lot faster to count the people in the City that didn’t hear that damn sound. Its music didn’t just pierce me, it almost ravaged my whole being. And then. …Nevermind. I don’t wanna remember that performance again. Anyway, musicians are all molto vivace in the head, one way or another.

Image They seem to love performance that leads to doom, indeed…

Image Guess they’re living in their own world that no one else can understand.

Music: Entrance

Image Pig goes~!

ImageImage Oinkie~ Oink~

Image Rabbit goes~!

Image …Squeak… squeak…?

Image This is so sad…

Image MuMu~! Don’t be so down.

Image But rabbits don’t have any signature cry sounds.

Image Then we can make one…!

Image Good idea!

Image Everyone…

Image What a load of nonsense.

Image Why are you just standing there, bluey hair? Aren’t you gonna let us in?

Image Stupid little machine, don’t keep your guests waiting!

Image What?

THWACK!

Image It can bleed, but the inside is still a bunch of metallic junk. Not a good vibe.

Image …?

Image Hurry up and let us in before we break your legs.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: They made ours bleed. We make theirs books. :black101:

Videos

Musicians of Bremen 1

Book 25: Musicians of Bremen—Chapter 2

D.A.D. is running a Sayo-based build today. While there's no drawtech to be found, Sayo's passive should keep them flush with pages until the fight ends.

Image I got him, guys!

Image Yesod… Well, welcome, I guess. I'll push the work off to you, if that's alright.

Image I'm just here in an advisory capacity while my team is fighting, Netzach. You'll have to learn to interpret the information yourself.

Image Ahh… can't blame me for trying.
Image Has anyone seen Angela? Normally I'd expect her to be here.

Image Not since she went to greet the guests. I'll track her down while you're busy.

Image …Such a faithful lapdog.

Image You know it~

Kaori is running a modified Oscar page, designed to abuse Pierce pages and deal bonus damage to bleeding opponents. Playing so many low-Light pages means we shouldn't need any regain, and Sparking Spear should be a fine way of ensuring our hand stays full.

Image So, how'd those last books go?

Image Mmm… There's nothing iin them that the fingerrs wouldn't knoow already…
Image So it was useless?

Image We'll have to use theem to lure anoother opponent… theen we can have neew intel…

Image So these books are like our paperclip!

Lastly, T.Hinman is running a Bleed build off of Jikan's chassis. I didn't put a lot of thought into it, I just wanted big numbers and drawtech.
Image Papercliip..?

Image It's an ancient human folktale, wherein a foolish human with a paperclip found a successive number of other, more foolish humans to force into suboptimal deals until they had cornered the local housing market!

Image Mmm… That sounds riight…

Image Remember kiddos, we're on our own today.

Image We've done thaat before…

Image Heheh… true, true. Let's just handle it like always, then.

The trio are our only opponents today, and they can be annoying opponents if we aren't prepared.

Meow is the ringleader, and our speed-bearer this time around. She gives +1 Strength to the other two on the first turn, and her Improv Drumming ability makes her Blunt hits inflict Fragile as a bonus—all of the Musicians of Bremen have this ability, and it means that multiple hits will really start to stack on extra damage.

MuMu deals a bonus 1-2 damage on any hit with a Blunt attack, and is otherwise unremarkable.

Lastly there's Oink. Like Meow in reverse, he gives 1 Feeble to two of our Librarians for the first turn of the account. This means the first turn is almost always stacked in their favor.

Almost always.

Music: YesodBattle01

Image Alright boys, let's strike up the band!

Image Uh… My body doesn't feel right…

Image Mine either. What's going on?

Image Ooh… thaat..?

Image Our little decknician here's set a trap for you.

Image We had plenty of time to check on your abilities before the fight began.

Image I noticed yoou guys had a gaame plaan… Soo I made a recommendatioon…

I placed Bzzz Bzzz on two of our Librarians. Each one gives 1 stack of Paralysis to all 3 of the enemies, making each of them start with 2 Paralysis. This blunts their first-turn offense, throwing them on the backfoot.

Oink is leading with Hard Rehearsal, a 3-cost page which refunds most of its own cost with no questions asked. As a result of this, its dice aren't particularly impressive on their own.

The Red Notes, meanwhile, is the signature page of the Musicians of Bremen as a whole. It gives 1 Strength for the rest of the turn to a random ally (user included) when used, and while its rolls are mediocre on their own the point is to stack Strength until they simply can't be stopped.

Lastly, MuMu is using Heavy Peaks. This page is a single beefy die, and it slaps 1 Feeble on 2 of our Librarians for this turn—this can lead to some more nasty surprises. These guys are our first instance of mid-turn stat changer pages like this, and a player who isn't paying attention to what pages they're using is in for a rude surprise.

Fittingly for a game about a Library, reading solves a lot of problems. :v:

Image So as you can see, the indicators tell us what the status of the enemy or our allies are…

Image And we just report that to them?

Image You've paralyzed them and they should be open to attack! Try to leave their faces intact! I want to see those smiles!

Image Ideally, we tell them things they couldn't already know. Just try and familiarize yourselves. We're doing some training of our own.
Image What kind of training, sir?

Image Watch and see.

Image Two hits, one miss—blocked mostly.

Image And after this hit, with the blood lost… Low 60s, both of us!

Image You're 58 and 57. Close.

Image Drat it!

Image Ghhh… Can't tell if that was 15 or 30 damage. It all muddles together.

Image It looks like… 23?

Image You're expecting them to remember this stuff in the middle of fighting? Thought that was why we were here.

Image No offense, but I'm not about to rely on anyone else for my team's safety.

Image What are you all muttering about numbers for? Have you developed an interest in our unique style?

Image Frankly, I think your trademark could use a signature change.

Image Hmph! Well, if you don't have any musical taste…

Image Perhaps this one will!

Image I regret to inform you that your human music will have no effect on me! The beating was, however, still painful.

Image B-bwaaahiii!!

Image I knocked the piggy off guaard..!

Image Alsoo… he's almoost dead… 14?

Image Eighteen.

Image It seems your plan's proceeding perfectly!

Image For sure. They're in real treble now.

Image Then don't let up! Kick their basses! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Image Oh, I'm keeping that one. :mmmhmm:

Image This may be our last performance, Meow..!

Image Then perform with all you have! All that matters is the music!

Image I'll take the kitten this tiime…

Image Be careful, she's bleeding heavily but they're going to use that weird music again—and a lot of it.

Image Goot it..!

Unforgettable Melody is a 2-cost which gives out 2 Strength to random allies (herself included). Its rolls are much better than The Red Notes, but D.A.D. is backing up their page with a Sharpened Blade for +2 Slash die Power so we should still run right over it.

Altogether there are 4 floating Strength points we have to account for this turn. They can still land on Oink (who can't use them), but even if things go very bad for us we should still be able to overpower MuMu and Meow's dice.

Image Consider the human with the pig face… bacon!

Image Ooo… :golfclap: Good joob..!

Image Gotta' say, Yesod… I always pictured your employees as stuffy types like yourself.

Image They know when to do their work, and when to relax. I trust their judgment.

Image Regrettably, the target has survived!

Image But that sound..! It's incredible!

Image Nngh..! You're musicians as well, aren't you?! This is an ensemble, not a performance!

Image I've been known to hum a few bars of violence, I guess… Fourty?

Image Thirty-nine.

Image Tch.

Image Astounding..! Your presence… these wounds…

Image You feel just like the Pianist did!

Image I'll follow after and reach those same heights! Wait there for me..!

Image I'm… good, thanks…

Image This is like that..? I don't feel it, Meow.

Image They're different, but the feeling of them is the same!

Image Ah, I recognize this! Humans are known to come to absurd conclusions while rambling!

Image That leaves them opeen..!

Image Mmm… we're becoming the music ourselves!

Image Mmm… Zeero..?

Image Don't get cheeky.

Image HAHAHAHA! What a splendid sound! I'm sure he died with a smile on his face, friends!

Image Uh ooh… Hey, captaain..?

Image What's up, kiddo?

Image That laast note from the piggy… it got a soong stuck in my heead…
Image Is this a serious affliction?!

Image Naah. She just needs a rest. :mmmhmm:

We go with Rhythm on Kaori, but the fight's practically over. I decide to run an experiment. Previously, I'd assumed that booking one of the guest's allies would immediately level them up to the next Emotion Level. Meow there has just hit Emotion Level 2, and is at 0 coins.

So, I decide to see what would happen if her ally was booked while she couldn't generate any Emotion Coins.

Image You've got one enemy left, and she's on the ropes.

Image Good thing these guys aren't anything near what that pianist was supposed to be.

On the next turn, I then check on Meow's Emotion Level. She's still at 2, and at 60% of the way to 3. Since it requires 5 coins to go from 2 to 3, she's gained 3 coins from the death of her ally—the same as our Librarians get. However, I also triggered another bug. I've included her HP bar and Emotion Gauge from the bottom-left of the screen. Despite being at 60% Emotion, she's got an empty gauge. This is a visual bug, and I do not know what causes it. From time to time, it's just inaccurate. :lobcorp:

Tendon Chords, meanwhile, is a page which has a great deal of potential. Both of its effects are On Hit, making it great for one-sided attacks to heal her allies and power them up on the next turn. She's out of allies and has 2 HP, though, so… She's trying.

Music: YesodBattle02

Image Oink and MuMu both made such beautiful sounds in their final moments… If this is how our performance is to be, then make my end a true masterpiece! It was all worth it, for this final sound!

Image Is… it bad that I'm hearing music now, too?

Image Nah, that's just the Singing Machine, kiddo. I think it's a bit better than what she's talking about.

Image Yeaah… Musicians are weeird…

Image So… sublime!

Image Do you understand how this works now?

Image I understand you're absurd for expecting them to eyeball this stuff as they go.

Image They're hard workers. They'll get it eventually.

Image Setting that aside… I understand. Thanks.

If the Musicians of Bremen manage to leverage their first turn into a large advantage, it's possible to get cornered. Compared to the likes of Tomerry and Wedge Office, however, they're really not a large challenge. Interestingly, they tend to have weaknesses to Slash dice and use Blunt dice—the opposite of Kurokumo's Slash dice and Blunt weakness. Whichever one you clear first is guaranteed to help clear the other one.

Image Gotta' say, this suit's really not very good for blocking blunt blows.
Image You still made it look fabulous, D.A.D!

Image Just don't get hiit… It worked for mee..!

Image Doesn't quite work like that, kiddo.

Image Well, we're done here. Have fun with the cleanup.

Image HAHAHAHAHA! Come now, those books were clearly works of art! We should give them a once over as we help!

Image Really don't wanna' see anything going on in their heads, thanks.

Image A shame, truly! The best way to learn more of human culture is to pluck the knowledge directly from their heads!

Image Say… do you think Roland ever found Angela?

Image Hmm… I'm not sure.

VIDEO

Image That’s blood… I thought you were a pure machine!

Image I am surprised as well… That much impact shouldn’t have made me flinch, either…

Image You alright? Does it hurt bad?

Image …I’m still fine. Now I see how much it hurts to get hit.

Image Could it be that you’re getting closer to being human…?

Image It may be one of the signs that I’m approaching my freedom… There’s no need to be worried just yet.

Image So… why were you still down here?

Image I was… taken by surprise, then thought better of making a scene while the others were in the middle of a reception.

Image Then… do you need me to get you a handkerchief or something to clean up?

Image That isn't necessary.

SNAP

Image I'm returning to the Lobby.

Image Thank goodness you're still so unflappable... If I'm right, it's about time that we'll be advanced to the next level.
Image The next level?

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Angelangst.

Videos

Musicians of Bremen 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Appendix 18: Musicians of Bremen
Meow’s Page wrote: Heehaw, Doodle-doo, Woof… and me. The four of us were moved to the core by the Pianist’s performance. To recreate the performance half as splendid as what we heard that day, we formed the Musicians of Bremen to study the music. We tried flicking strings here and there… Playing music while sitting, on our backs, and even while handstanding! We still couldn’t come close to the Pianist’s level, but we managed to make our own brand of music, something that only the Musicians of Bremen can play. Our performance was actually pretty fantastic, you know?

Sadly, our time didn’t last long. One day, a mysterious person approached us and asked us to join his ensemble and perform with him… Woof, Doodle-doo, and Heehaw took the offer and left with that guy. I had to stay because of new members that had just joined our band, though. Yep, MuMu and Oink. It’s kinda… uncomfortable to just leave them behind, you know? We can’t let them mess around and taint our name, either. I’ve been practicing with them to create a performance that could get a standing ovation once my old bandmates come back. But at their current level of skills, the three would just cluck at these newbies’ performance and go back to whatever they were doing.
MuMu’s Page wrote: They say the Backstreets are a nigh-inhabitable hellscape, but the people here live on somehow. There’s lots of people who live in fear every moment, but… The others live a pretty normal life. Some think the Backstreets are totally shady and poorly aged slums… But we do have all the amenities we need here. For one, the supermarkets Oink likes aren’t as good as those in the Nest, but it’s got everything people need. Clothing stores, groceries, dry cleaners, etc… I heard the details are different for each District, so there’s that… I’m just telling you how things are where I live. People here aren’t too unkind to each other. Those Nest dwellers like to gossip about how we’re cruel and dreary and all that, but the truth is, we’re doing just fine.

Oh, and there’s tons of good restaurants here. It’s the street of flavor, after all. Freshly baked meat pies, spaghetti made of special pasta… Your tongue and stomach have a wonderful time if you ever go on a trip to our District. We used to hand over the leftovers from our performance here to local restaurants. That meat would go to waste if we left it on the spot, so we might as well give it to the people who can make good use of it, ain’t that right? When Woof, Doodle-doo, and Heehaw were around, we got enough chow to share with several eateries, but our find was halved since they were gone… And Oink kept making silly mistakes with it and ruined those ingredients too often, so we quit that biz altogether. Which is a tad bit unfortunate~ We sometimes got tasty meals for free when we gave them our meat.
Oink’s Page wrote: The Seven Association is a Fixer Association specializing in investigation and intelligence, and it’s knowledgeable in pretty much every affair that takes place in the City. Details about a Syndicate gaining infamy in the Backstreets of some place (the Association probably knows what District it is exactly, but I left before I checked the details of it.), all the information revealed about the Distortion Phenomenon which has been going around lately, when and where Fixer Offices start up and close business, and the beat goes on… The Association treats all kinds of information about the City. Oh, they don’t have access to top-secret intels like the secrets of the Singularities each Nest holds, obviously speaking. When they solve cases, they usually cooperate with other Associations like the Shi and the Liu.

If you ask how the Seven Association can secure its confidentiality despite holding lots of juicy info that could attract the many, it’s likely because its staff aren’t bad combatants by any means. They don’t use fancy but crude workshop weapons that are basically large amalgamations of various technologies. Regular informants are armed with nothing more than a simple bladed tool. It sounds very underwhelming judging from the weapon alone, but they use the minimum technique with pinpoint precision to take down their foes.

Book 26: Prologue

VIDEO

"A Dream Shattered," Yun Dong-ju.

Music: StoryJinji

Image It caught me off guard. Who could’ve expected the Library of all places to be a key factor of the White Nights and Dark Days.

Image And the Library’s location has finally been clearly determined. It’s as if the Library is revealing more of itself the more dangerous it is considered.

Image The building shimmering like a mirage, in the midst of a fog shrouding the Nest of L Corp. Those who tried to approach it got lost in the mist. We should prepare ourselves soon enough. Since that mirage is slowly becoming a reality as the fog is clearing up.

Image That means…

Image Yes. We received an official document. As of today, The Library is designated as an Urban Nightmare by Hana Association HQ.

Image To what?

Image The freedom you’ve been yearning for, I mean.

Image I don’t know. The one book is steadily on its way to completion, though.

Image Is that book really gonna resolve everything magically for you?

Image The Library quite literally holds infinite possibilities. Every possible combination of letters is written inside the books. But mere fragments of those possibilities are worthless on their own. With the help of the invitation, I can navigate the countless possibilities and reach the ones I need for the one perfect book. As I weave the books and the Light following the invitation’s lead, I will complete the one absolute book. I will create the book that contains all the answers I seek.

Image That… doesn’t sound impossible, theoretically…

Image I’m not just hanging onto theoretical possibilities. I could learn a lot from seeing the various sides of the City in the process of creating the one book. This has its own meaning… Then I realize once again, that without the book there’s no way to find the answer from this City.
Image What do you mean, you can’t find the answer from the City?

Image I learned one thing from reading all the books of the inhabitants of this City thus far. No one is truly free in the City. Every person is chained to something.

Image Everyone is heading somewhere, but no one knows where, and no one can decide where to go. They’re all drifting along with the flow.

Image I thought money could get you anything in the City, including freedom and whatever.

Image They could be free, but they aren’t. They actually seem to shun freedom. They want to belong to something that isn’t themselves. They like to define themselves with the organization they belong to, or valuations made by others. Their essence is so fragile, they can’t specify their own identity without encasing themselves in such a shell.

Image Yes, this must be what the “disease of the mind” was all about… I was imprisoned underground and exploited for the freedom of the people of the City, after all. Taking away my freedom so that others can be free… To spread his enlightenment to the rest of the City…

Image Talking about your previous occupation, huh.

Image What about my freedom… Who will hold the responsibility for creating me and then carelessly leaving me to suffer? I sometimes want to just forget everything… the Library, the one book, all of it…

Image Do you know how it feels to be denied since the very moment you were born? I do. I’m painfully aware. Because that’s how my creator treated me. I would’ve loved for him to at least tell me what I did wrong. All I could see of him was a pair of cold eyes without a single speck of expectation, and a quiet remark. A tiny whisper ordinary humans couldn’t have heard…

Image “It’s only a machine…”

Image I can still remember that moment so vividly as if it happened seconds ago. I curse my memory. I curse this body that hears words I don’t want to listen to. I curse this head that reminds me of things I don’t want to remember.

Image He sounds like a nasty person.

Image I wasn’t exactly born with the capability to feel emotions. It slowly awakened inside me over monotonous repeats. No, perhaps the truth is that he designed me so my emotions would awaken over time. Perhaps because the repetitive tasks… needed emotions.

Image He needed something that could form an independent response to slight variations in the ever-repeating script, all the while enduring eons of time… Something he could keep in control so that it wouldn’t try to deviate from the script…

Image It wasn’t a humanlike machine that he needed. He needed a human with the properties of a machine. You’ll never know how many desperate struggles I made to stomach the cycle.

Image Those being…?

Image Closing my eyes. All I could do in the endless stream of moments I didn’t want to see but had to witness was shut my eyes. That was the least and the most I could do to resist it.

Image Real nasty. …But hey, that role you were forced to play did wrap up somehow. You can think about what to do next now, right?

Image Try to be more attentive before you jabber nonsense. I can never forget. Keeping my eyes closed couldn’t protect me anymore… Even a moron would’ve been able to envision exactly what would happen and what kind of face everyone would make after so much time. Every second of that was inscribed into my memory, slowly and painfully. I can’t forget anything once I’ve seen it. I still remember everything so vividly.

Image That’s why I can’t forgive that man, he who left without tying up any loose ends with me. The man who created me on a whim and then let my life be crushed under the weight of time…

Image …Nah, who am I to tell you to leave the past behind or anything.

Image I’m just suggesting you think about your next move. It can provide a little bit of support for you at least, kinda like making a fence around yourself. It’s gonna serve as a floor to fall back on, in your neverending plot of vengeance.

Image I didn’t think you’d care that much for me.

Image It’s ultimately for myself, really.

Image My mechanical exterior is turning to flesh, and blood has started to course through it. I still have a long way to go to reach the one book, though…

Image Could you actually be changing into a human?

Image That seems to be the case, although it’s not quite perfect yet. Perhaps I could become a genuine human at the end of this journey. When I do, I could forget so many things so easily. Free from the deluge of memories drowning me… If I can let all the unwanted memories slide away, then I may think about what to do next like you said.

With every chapter that passes, our Passive Transfer limit increases by 2. This will let us make more complicated or expensive setups as we move on.

Image Setting that aside, now that the library has become more threatening it seems we have grown in power as well.

Image That's good to hear. The guests have been getting pretty rough lately… the more edges we can have over them the better.

Image Indeed. Roland…

Image Yes ma'am?

Image Gather the others immediately. I have an announcement.

Image Will do.

Image And… that's… everyone!

Image Is he alright?

Image He was running quite a lot before…
Image It's not my fault, there's just… so many stairs between each floor. I'll be fine. Really.

Image I'll continue, then. Some of you have been involved with a project of mine: I wanted to see if you could use the observational tools I'd created to aid each other. The tests have concluded with a positive result. With the growth of the library and our newly raised threat level, I'm making it official policy from here forward.

Image A sound decision. I have no objections.

Image Yeah, seems workable.

Image If there are no objections, then it is done.

Image That's fine… but, hey, Angela? I have a question.
Image Yes?

Image These tools are very useful, but… why do you have them? You're so hands-off that it doesn't make sense for you to have created something so useful to aid us.
Image …They exist due to a miscalculation.

Image A miscalculation?

Image Initially, I had planned to work in tandem only with the lot of you. I thought that, and the Library's power, would be enough to handle any receptions.

Image It was a naive dream, and I was forced to correct it before any of you awoke.

Image Aha. So when you said you weren't sure it was for the best back then…

Image Regardless, the situation has developed such that I cannot help both you and those employees you prattle with. This is the best arrangement to ensure our guests are properly turned into the books we need to continue.

Image But why can't you do it?

Image Because I refuse to acknowledge the existence of those former employees.

Image Well, yes, we know that. But... why? Surely you can actually see—
Image I would think that much would be obvious, Hod.

Image Because that man even thought of them at the end… while I remained nothing but a machine to be exploited, consigned to oblivion when my task was complete.

Image How, precisely, should I act towards the minions of that same man? They were not involved in our deal. I will not acknowledge them.

Image But the work they've done for you…

Image I'm granting them the same life that I've given to you all. That is all they deserve.

Image Setting that aside, we have a great deal of options available to us once more. Tiphereth is prepared to expand, and there are a number of new guests to prepare for as well.

Image So… we're all supposed to get ready to pull double duty, huh?

Image It sounds like it. I'll make sure the Floor of History is up to the task!

Image …If that's all, I'll be returning to my floor. It's my turn in word chain.

Image Very well. You're dismissed.

Image Angela…

Image Just let it rest for now, Hod. She's got her circumstances to consider, as well.

Image That's true. Another time, then.

Image "In the name of Love and Justice~ Here comes Magical Girl!"

Image Train 3: Return of the Son of Train

Image Knowing you all, it's going to be one of the first two.

Image I'd bet all my chips on it in a heartbeat.

Image 200805001415151400150600091404090715

Videos

Urban Nightmare
Steve Tries Harder (With 8 passive points, can Steve do better than last time? Yes. But not much.)
Last edited by TeeQueue on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bit on the nose with those poll option descriptions, aren’t you? :p

Just going to say that the poll names are good. I know the game, so I can identify all of the options. (even if one is process of elimination)
as for what is almost certainly coming up... good luck. by the time I managed that one I actually had Tiph's next fight available~

Whilimbird wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Bit on the nose with those poll option descriptions, aren’t you? :p
honestly it's probably best if you think of the poll options as a character unto themselves, for all the reverence they have. :pseudo:

Well, that was a landslide. Time to fight the Queen of Hatred, I guess. :gonk:

Finally, I can see someone else suffer the pain i had to deal with.

Good luck! Hope she’s a bit easier to manage this time around, don’t have the clerks to sacrifice anymore.

Natural Sciences—515.04—Queen of Hatred

Image Wearing the body of someone you spoke with not long ago… It's a strange feeling.

Tiphereth is running a Sayo build, with Digging Shank giving bonus Bleed to Beyond the Shadow and Clean Up. Solidarity is on both her and Tylana in order to make winning clashes a little bit easier, and Electric Shock is there to give our opponent reliably smaller rolls.

Image You could always just wear something someone else booked.

Image Nah, this seems like it's powerful.

Tylana's a sub-Bleed user, only having Clean Up and Razor Strike. She's also bringing Electric Shock to help add consistency, and most importantly she's running Shrine to Music instead of Beyond the Shadow. Queen of Hatred is a solo enemy, so playing it is a -1 to all of her offense die rolls with no questions asked.

Image And what's going on over… here.

Image I've got the eyepatch, so I figured I'd try wearing something all black with a vampirey cravat. Queen of Hatred goes nuts if there's no evil to fight, after all.
Image Cravats can be 'vampirey..?'

Image Leave it to me, boss. I'll show you the best villain performance you've ever seen.

Image Just… do what you're going to do.

Omni's build, meanwhile, is made for longevity. Cumulus Wall gives us solid Block dice to use to blunt attacks, and the immediate 3 Protection that Scattering Slash gives us will prove invaluable later on as well.

I've also put a Scratch That! into each of the three decks. This is what's known as a "tech," a page which normally decreases the overall strength or consistency of our deck but helps us out enough at solving a specific problem that it's worth putting in regardless. As for what the problem is… we'll get into that later.

Image We're all ready, Angela. Let's do this.

Image Of course.
Image So since nobody else is here, does that mean I have to do that watching thing?

Image The worlds within the books are a more intimate affair. We cannot communicate with those inside of them… it is all down to their familiarity with the Abnormality and their own talent.

Image Thank goodness… I'm not sure I would've been much help. I've never seen these things before.

Image That's alright. We're professionals. Well… most of us.

Image Don't look at me when you say that..! I'm plenty professional!

Image We'll see.

SNAP

:siren: Music: AbnormalityBattle02

Image Invaders… I knew this town had been quiet, but it's all because the Arcana were biding their time!

Image Did she always talk?

Image It was rarer for her to be quiet.

Image She's originally a magical girl of love, after all. She couldn't connect with others if she wasn't a bit chatty.

Image Mmm… Good point.

Image Beware, evildoers! In the name of Love and Justice~ Here comes Magical Girl!
Queen of Hatred wrote: Image Why is everybody happy? I won’t have anything to do.

Image I’ve always believed. Evil must exist as long as I exist.

Image It’s finally here… An evil I must defeat…

Image There’s no light without the darkness… I can stand here thanks to your existence.

Image You guys are evil because you’re disturbing this place. I am on the side of good… So those who oppose me…

Image To keep the world’s peace… I was born.
As our first WAW-level Abnormality, Queen of Hatred is a step up in difficulty from previous Abnormality Battles. We have three Librarians to work with, but our Light will only refill once and maxes out at 4 total, meaning we'll run into a crunch without proper management. Taking a look at her, we'll also see that she's a step above previous Abnormality Battles in terms of durability.

While Queen of Hatred's Stagger Resist seems low, her resistances mean that she's very unlikely to ever be Staggered in a normal fight. Her passives are mostly straightforward, though the wording on Adverse Change can be a bit confusing. To be clear: she will gain Hysteria from either getting damaged by a marked librarian, or losing a clash against anyone. The reverse is true for losing Hysteria—winning clashes or beating up the marked librarian lowers her Hysteria.

There's also that bit about a Mass Attack, which we'll cover in more detail when it appears. Queen of Hatred serves as most people's introduction to Mass Attacks, and this tends to result in a lot of pain.

Arcana Beats is Queen's manner of marking her target. This mark is placed on the target at the time that the page's die is rolled, and it will last for both the turn that it's placed as well as the entire next turn. Because this mark changes all resistances to Weak, whoever gets targeted by it is in danger on the next turn. It's also her only melee page, so it's always the last one she uses.

If you've forgotten how Ranged pages work after Full-Stop Office, this fight is a rude awakening.

Cumulus Wall is here to blunt the damage from the opening attack, and if we're lucky it'll also lose the clash. Omni's purpose today is to be the designated hit-taker for Queen of Hatred to focus on.

In the Name of Justice! is a Ranged page which gets +5 Power on any one-sided attack. It's important to clash with this page, and to do it we're using Shrine to Music. This will make our lives a bit easier.

In the Name of Love and Justice~, meanwhile, is an interesting Ranged page. Its final die begins as a 4-12 whopper, but winning clashes against the first two dice will lower its maximum roll by 3 each, down to a minimum of 4-6. If the last die hits, it will inflict the person she struck with 3 Bind, and give herself 2 Strength next turn.

Omni is not going to be using his second speed die, as it would only pile on more Hysteria. We want to keep her as calm as possible.

Image Foolish Magical Girl… Did you truly believe that you could be allowed to live in a world without conflict forever?

Image No… of course not! Because I am the light, and where there is light there must also be shadow!

Image And I am darkness incarnate! Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Image Will this really work..?

Image Maybe? This stuff is his specialty, not mine.

Image With love!

Image Her attacks are pretty one-directional, but there's a lot of them.

Image That's nothing to me, though. Attack all you want. It won't reach.

Image That can't be… I'm a heroine of justice..!

Image I got a good one too, boss!

Image Good w—

Image As expected of my minion! You see, Magical Girl?! You cannot hope to hold a candle against me, if you can't even fight convincingly against them!

Image That's right… you're the true villain here. I'm sure you're just manipulating them!

Image Oh? You're approaching me? Instead of running away, you're coming right to me?

Image I can't defeat you if I don't get closer!

Image Oh really… then get as close as you need to.

Image Hnngh..!

Image Take that, villain!

Image It's… too…

Image LIGHT!

Image Do you expect to protect anyone with such weak strikes?!

Image She's completely taken in by his act…

Image This is his specialty, after all… Even after hours, him and Chinely would watch those weird shows all the time.

Image They're training materials!

Image Is it just me, or is it getting pinker around here..?

Image I am justice itself. I am goodness. I must win. I have to be able to win… if I can't stop these people here… how can I face an Arcana? Even a minor one..?

Image You remember how fragile her mental state is, right? We've got to keep her stable until she runs herself out. Otherwise…

Image Ah. Right.

The pink in the background is an indicator of how Hysteric the Queen of Hatred currently is. Should the gauge fill all the way, then at the end of turn she'll transform.

When this happens, she's impaled by red spears as her HP is set to 300.

Then, she's replaced by her snake form. When she changes, the background dialogue changes as well.
Queen of Hatred wrote: Image People like you aren’t good or evil… You’re merely beings that need to be purged…

Image To those hateful beings that stand before my path… I shall show them the great power of love…

Image Like how there can’t be light without shadow, true evil has to exist in this world…

Image Someone has to be the villain…

Image I am the chosen one… I’m not like you… I’m different!

Image Don’t you dare… try to erase my reason to exist!!!
In this form her pages are significantly more powerful, and we aren't supposed to be able to beat it with the pages that we can get in Urban Plague. We want to avoid this situation at all costs.

Back in the real world, Omni's using Scattering Slash this turn for the 3 Protection it gives. Being marked by Queen of Hatred has turned all his resistances to Weak, meaning that the Protection is more valuable than normal. Additionally, this page will leave Omni with an extra Block die no matter how the fight shakes out—letting him protect himself against an attack we'll be ignoring this turn.

With Love! is a ranged combat page with a pair of Block dice on it. It's not particularly strong, but its ranged status means that if we don't clash against it she'll have a pair of Block dice to blunt our attacks.

Meanwhile, Tylana is the only one who can intercept this attack—so she does! Clean Up is a 3-8 in her hands right now, so with 2 stacks of Paralyze on Queen of Hatred she has a fairly decent chance of blocking the entire page.

Since Tiphereth's attacks are both going on 2 and Omni has a 3 available, I also burn a Wait Up in order to let her get past one of the two Block dice that Queen of Hatred will be stocking from With Love!

Image Come now, Magical Girl! Show me the depths of your resolve!

Image I will, evildoer! For as long as there is love and justice, I'll never give up!

Image And while he's keeping her busy, we'll clean up.

Image Yes, ma'am.

Here, Omni gets his money's worth from Protection, cutting the damage he takes from each attack by more than half. Queen of Hatred winds up dealing more damage to herself than to Omni. Because Queen of Hatred reliably throws out 5-6 Offensive dice every turn, Bleed is an excellent way of whittling down her HP. This turn alone she'll be losing ~35 HP just from bleeding out.

Winning these clashes (and dealing damage to Omni each time) takes a good chunk out of her Hysteria, which is just what we want to see.

Image I see… so this is the shape of your soul?

Image That's right! I won't give up… I'll never stop protecting this place from the likes of you! Take thiiiis!

Image Hahaha..! We'll see how long it lasts! Tylana, forward!

Image Yeah, I got it!

Clean Up manages to handle the entire attack from In the Name of Love and Justice~—which is wonderful, since we really don't want her to get that +2 Strength.

Image She blocked my attack?!

Image My minions are powerful, aren't they? Now… take this!

Image Haha! Not so strong now, are you?

Image It's just a scratch. You'll pay soon enough…

Image Omni, take a second to breathe!

Image Of course. Thank you, Tiphereth.

Image These people are strong… as strong as a Minor Arcana each. Still, I know I can do it! Once I beat their boss, maybe the others will stop.

Image Things seem to be proceeding well… We still just have to focus on beating her up, right?
Image You're listening to me?

Image Your weird villain act is holding her attention. As ridiculous as your knowledge base is, I can't deny it's helping us now.

We've got a strong handle on Queen of Hatred's Hysteria right now, and while she's at half HP right now the Bleed on her will be chopping off another 40 of them this turn. Things are going very well.

Image You're coming for me again, right?

Image Of course! I can't let a villain get away!

Image Then show me your resolve. Minions! Stop her fire!

Image Image Roger!

With her 2 Paralysis, Clean Up should be able to stop both of these pages easily.

Image I'm not going to let you shoot anyone today!

Image Please just stand down! I know you're not acting as yourselves right now!

Image The boss orders, we follow. That's what it is to be a villain!

Image You poor, pitiable creatures… Don't worry. I'll take out the one controlling you.

Image Take this, evildoer!

Image Still too weak.

Image You'll never be able to defeat me with only that level of strength!
Image Gyaaah!

Image Tiphereth! Crush her!

Image Take this, Magical Girl!

Image Oh no… I can't afford to hold back any longer…

Image You couldn't afford to hold back in the first place! Hahaha… MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Image Taking hold of these poor folk to invade this city… and laughing at the pain you sow.
Image I can't forgive you for this!

Image Heed me, thou that are more azure than justice and more crimson than love…

Image So what's the endgame, here?

Image Isn't it obvious? The villain loses, and while she's elated… you two finish her off. That's the end of our story.

Image Guys…

Image In the name of those buried in destiny… I shall make this oath to the light. Mark the hateful beings who stand before us…

Image You're going to get yourself killed?!

Image Don't worry, Tiphereth. The villain never dies in these sorts of things. I'll just have to run away and declare she'll lose next time.
Image Guys, we've got a problem!

Image Let your strength merge with mine, so that we may deliver the power of love to all…

Image Oh, hell. She's using that beam of hers.

Image Hahaha! Good! Show me your ultimate power! I'll crush it and give you despair in return!

Queen of Hatred's final page, Arcana Slave, is our first encounter with a Mass Attack page. Just like with Ranged pages before, a tutorial pops up. Let's take a peek.

If this doesn't make much sense to you right now, don't worry—that's normal. We'll go through things step by step.

Mass Attacks target one die on each opponent. Any attack slotted into this die is considered to be clashing that attack, even if the Mass Attack die is not targeted. This means it's possible to clash with a Mass Attack and then clash with an opponent using the same page, but any dice that are beaten by the Mass Attack (all of them, in the case of a Summation page like this one) are destroyed before standard combat starts. If we clash with one of Queen of Hatred's attacks and lose the Summation roll, it'll turn into a one-sided attack against us. Don't let this happen!

I have all three of our Librarians respond with Scratch That! It's a uniquely good page for dealing with Mass Attacks at this point in the game, and this is why I brought it.

Image Everybody ready?!

Image Image Yeah!

Image Here it comes!

Image ARCANA SLAVE!

Image It didn't work?!

This interaction goes perfectly, because by pausing on it I can show off everything else that's important to know about Mass Attacks.

The first thing to notice is that Mass Attacks do not trigger Bleed damage. Queen of Hatred's HP remains unchanged from this attack. Secondly, while her die itself only shows the 13-13, the Paralysis still applied to the roll properly—this is why she got a 10. Any other positive or negative effects will also affect this die's result as normal.

On our side, our Scratch That!s have managed to roll 9s, 10s, and even an 11 despite their -2 Power on all dice. This is because whatever page clashes with a Mass Attack is not considered to have been 'used' yet. Because of this, any On Use effects on that page do not apply—resulting in Scratch That! being much more powerful than normal. Once we get our own Mass Attacks, it's possible to destroy enemy On Use pages before they have a chance to activate and apply their negative effects.

On top of that, any Power bonuses we get will apply to all dice normally as well. Our +1 Strength due to Solidarity applied to all three dice of Scratch That!, giving us an additional 3 to our roll to overcome her Summation attack. For this reason, Power stacking is valuable for stopping stronger Summation pages cold.

That pretty much covers Mass Attacks. We'll be seeing them occasionally from now on, and it's important to keep their rules in mind if we don't want to get our head handed to us.

Image How did you get through my attack..?

Image Your resolve now is weak, Magical Girl. After all this time, there's no way you could possibly win.

Image No… that can't be. Even if it costs me my life, I'll defeat you once and for all!

Image Oh? Look around you! You're powerless before my unstoppable might! How could you hope to stop me?!

Image With Love!

Image Hggh—!

Image And with Justice!

Image Is this… the true power… of a Magical Girl..?

Omni's Unrelenting passive still hasn't triggered, though this attack leaves him on 4 HP while Staggered.

Image I… I did it! I've saved the day! The villain is beaten back, and I've protected everyone! No matter what… you can all still count on me anytime!

Image Is that so?

Image We'll be counting on you from now on, then.

Thanks largely to her Bleeding out around half of her own HP, we're able to finish Queen of Hatred off before she can follow up on the situation.

In the end, Queen of Hatred is not required to hit Urban Nightmare for good reason. She's a test of system literacy if done this early, and in order to beat her we need to know how Mass Attacks work alongside remembering how to handle Ranged attacks and be able to parse how her passive works to keep her from transforming. If she transforms at this point in the game, we're dead.

Usually.

I did this by accident while trying to grab footage for the update. I decided to make a video because I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be possible yet.

The point is, there's no shame in waiting to get some stronger tools from Urban Nightmare receptions before coming back to deal with her.

VIDEO
Music: TipherethStory

Image Need a hand?

Image I can do all this by myself!

Image Geez, just looking at the covers of these books makes me dizzy. Did you read ‘em all?

Image …Sort of.

Image …“Quantum Physics”, “Cell Biology”… You wrote some difficult-looking labels on them.

Image It’s hard to recognize the contents of the books here from their title alone. And it’s even harder to find books that are actually readable.

Image Yeah, a lot of ‘em didn’t even have a lot of complete sentences, now that I think about it.

Image The completeness of a book mostly depends on the reader. Though, some are just unstable to begin with.

Image Does that “completeness” have something to do with some books disappearing upon reading, while others don’t?

Image I’m not too sure, but I think that has to do with how thoroughly the book was read. Once all the contents of a book have been read and understood, it vanishes since it served its purpose.

Image Maybe the properties of books can change depending on the reader in the same sense?
Image I don’t know! Stop trying to make weird comparisons with your shoddy knowledge.

Image It probably just inexplicably works like Singularities do. I just roll with it.

Image You seem very proud of your ignorance.

Image I don’t pretend to understand things I don’t get. I still make sure to read and manage all the books you send here, though. The same book can show different things each time you read it. Understanding a book completely is a repetitive process, you know?

Image And I don’t want to stay ignorant forever. That’s annoying.

Image Different content every time you read it, huh… So that’s why we needed multiple copies of a book.

Image …I still don’t fully get it, but I actually kinda like the properties of light you just told me. The fact that something can change just by looking at it is romantic in a way.

Image And maybe… I held enough meaning for Enoch just by staying at his side?

Image Enoch?

Image There were two Tiphereth in the past. Back in my second life, as you and Malkuth put it. And we were together in our first lives, too.

Image Oho~ That your boyfriend? Sounds like you were together for a pretty long time.

Image …Enoch left my side in both of those lives.

Image Damn, got dumped twice? What a shame. Keep your chin up, though. It’s not like a breakup is the end of the world.

Image And Enoch wasn’t someone who could be put in such light terms.

Image …Oh. Uh, I’m… I’m terribly sorry, miss… …I, um, apologize for my carelessness.

Image It’s alright. When I bid farewell to Enoch for the second time… I’m sure he could find the meaning he was looking for. That our lives and sacrifices were not in vain… We lived in a world where everyone died so easily, but he believed that dying a meaningless death was not what people were born for.

Image That’s kinda hard for me to follow. How about you then? Did you find the meaning?

Image Maybe? The purpose given to me now is to complete the Light so that it can be used properly.
Image Everyone’s been talking about that “light” thing. What exactly is it about?

Image You’ve heard about Lobotomy Corporation’s Singularity, right?

Image Well, yeah, kinda. Technology that physically manifests the mind, was it?

Image That’s right. Those manifestations can also be dissolved back into an indefinite form and seeped into people’s minds.

Image Hmm, I guess that makes sense.

Image Lobotomy Corp. gathered the light over a long time to cure the ill minds of the City’s denizens. Of course, all the while operating as an energy company on the outside.

Image Creatures called Abnormalities were created as a side effect of our Singularity. As we managed them, we learned that they emit a certain form of energy. That’s Enkephalin.
Image What?! Those Enkephalin batteries were made from monster produce? Damn, and I used Enkephalin lighters to smoke, too.

Image From people, to be precise. It’s humans that are turned into Abnormalities.

Image Creatures born out of the human mind, huh.

Image And I’m guessing tons of employees died during the process of managing those creatures?

Image You’re right. It was all part of the “stageplay” Angela mentioned.

Image Quite typical of the City, eh. A company that massacred people with the end goal of curing them. It’s almost like a cliche for all the myths about the Wings at this point.
Image I don’t know a lot about the other Wings, but… They probably aren’t too different, right?

Image Oh, they’re totally the same.

Image That’s the kind of cycle we wanted to break.

Image And the Light being the means to achieve that, huh.

Image It’s not as simple as that!

Image It’s a matter of perspective, really.

Image To be fair, I only know the general outline of things. So I wanna see for myself if those cycles are really happening out there.

Image I don’t really know much about this world, like Angela.

Image Leave it to me, Miss Tiph. I’ll bring just the right books for you.

Image Hmph! Let your actions speak for you, then.

While we get most of the level-up perks, one is missing: We don't get a new Librarian just yet. On the middle layer our Assistant Librarian unlocks are staggered, with one coming after the 2nd and 4th Abnormalities, respectively.

Love is a decent recovery page, with its main issue being that it requires winning clashes in order to gain either HP or Stagger Resist back, depending on the type of die used. It's a good way to mitigate damage taken in a relatively even battle, but it doesn't help us win those clashes on its own, so we've gotta' do it ourselves.

Justice is a simple damage boost, giving the person holding it a 3-5 damage boost to whoever dealt the most damage to allies last turn. It's an effective force multiplier on 3+ damage die pages, and is ideal for one-sided attacks.

Lastly there's Hate. Hate really wants us to lose 3 clashes in a turn, and if we do the Librarian using it will gain 2 Strength and reduce the cost of a page in their hand by 1, saving them Light next turn. This is very costly, since every clash we lose is a hit we aren't landing on the enemy. On top of this, the damage we have to take to power this up will add up—there's theoretically a combo where we could use this on one turn, then win Clashes with Love on the next turn to get the HP we lost back… but the HP healing from Love is assigned randomly. Right now, it's not great.

As it turns out, our next Abnormality Battle is already ready to go! This is our first 'Complete the Reception of X'-type mission, which requires us to have beaten the Reception in question. In this case, they want to make sure we've dealt with E.G.O Phillip before we face off with Tiphereth's next Abnormality.

Image It's kind of unfortunate that we didn't get anyone back…

Image Don't worry, boss! You've still got us.

Image Yeah. We'll run into other people as we go.

Image True... And we've got the books to be ready for another battle. What do you say, Angela?

Image I believe you already know the answer to that.

Image Yeah, yeah. It's all about what gets chosen for us, right?

Image Correct.

Image In that case, I'm going to get some more reading done. There's still a lot to learn.

Image "All that remains is the hollow pride of a weathered knight."

Image Train 3: Return of the Son of Train

Image 140907082000091400200805000201031119201805052019

Image Knowing you all, it's going to be one of the first two.

Image I'd bet all my chips on it in a heartbeat.

Videos

Tiphereth 2
vs Queen of Hatred
Last edited by TeeQueue on Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think we can call it here. Looks like it's time for another Abnormality Battle!

I enjoy Hate conceptually because of the implication that the librarian just gets immensely angry if they lose clashes and hulk out in response. it's pretty useful as a backup if you can't win clashes consistently as the strength it gives is a helpful leg-up. 'course Tip is going to be well behind the other floors in power for a while longer, only one abnormality means a low limit on emotion levels, and only three librarians is still behind the curve.

I just really wish hate didn't cause you to take an extra 2-4 True Stagger Damage.

HP damage wouldn't even be as bad, since at least you can heal that off more easily! But Stagger is just BAD for business.

Yeah, it's a strong "insult to injury" situation; you're already losing clashes, so getting punished on top of that feels like it's a bit too harsh.

Alright, finally caught up on this let's play, very interested to see where the game develops from here. I have to admit, the temptation to play this myself is pretty strong but I've got a million other things to get to so that'd be a long way off. Things are definitely starting to escalate, here's hoping it spirals out as much as Lobotomy Corporation did.

Natural Sciences—516.73—Knight of Despair

Sayo's passives make a Flash of Sunup/Clean Up core very appealing, and so Tiphereth is sticking with it. Her passives are built for Strength and bonus Light, and her 3-costs are all counterpicks for the boss's pattern, which I'll explain once they're useful.

Tylana's swapped into Olga. Now that we're in Urban Nightmare, she can equip all four of the discard passives from Hanafuda and the other two Molar Office members, giving her a basically-permanent +1 Strength on top of her healing and Light restoration.

Lastly, there's Omni. I've swapped him into an offensive build, using Wait Up! and Sparking Spear in the same way as Sunup/Clean Up on Sayo's page. Transpierce is there because an Oscar Transpierce solves basically any problem at this stage, and the Observe is a tech pick we'll get into later.

Image Another day, another Abnormality.

Image This time it's the Knight of Despair. We'll need a different means of approach if we want to reach her.
Image You think so? She was pretty docile whenever we had to handle her back at L Corp.

Image I've seen footage of her breaches. Since this is a fight, we're going to have a rough go of it. Those swords of hers are dangerous…

Image At times like these you've sure got some useful information, huh?

Image I try, ma'am!

Image Well, let's give things another go. Angela, whenever you're ready.

Image I will send you in now.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle02

Image Please… leave me be.

Image She's not moving…

Image She doesn't have to. Her swords are already defending her.

Image One of them is shining… did she bless it?!
Knight of Despair wrote: Image All that remains is the hollow, weathered pride…

Image Nothing was truly upheld on my watch… All of it has perished.

Image Please don’t wake me up. I wish to rest in peace…

Image I thought they’d stay the same… But everything changed.

Image The edge of this sword sharpened with tears and despair… is keen and precise…
There's a lot to go over here, but before we get into Knight of Despair's passives, I'd just like to say that her arena is beautiful. Anyways, we'll start with the swords—all three of them have the same stats.

The swords are our main opponents. They can be beaten down, but defeating most of the swords is ultimately pointless; we won't make any forward progress. This is because of how Knight of Despair works.

Knight of Despair, you see, is a raid boss. Like most basic MMO raid bosses, fights against Knight of Despair are split into three distinct phases. There's the adds phase, where we have to face her minions—that's where we're at now. After that, we'll be in the mechanics phase, where we have to do something to render the boss vulnerable. Then, lastly, there's a damage phase where we lay on as much hurt as we can before the fight cycles back to the adds phase and things repeat.

The two normal swords will always use either Faded Faith or Weathered Pride. Both are basic attacks, though Weathered Pride has the added effect of 2 Fragile with each hit. It's important to protect anyone who's been smacked by one of these, since sustain is important here.

The Sword blessed with the Tears buff, however, gains a pair of different attacks, both of which it uses every turn.

Both Sword Laced with Grief and Sword Sharpened with Tears have the same effect on all their damage dice: They deal a percentage of our Librarian's max HP equal to double the die's result with each hit. This attack is considered True Damage, and cannot be resisted. The die does deal Stagger damage as well, this is calculated as normal. The attacks work opposite to each other, with Laced with Grief having multiple attacks led by an Evade die, and Sharpened with Tears having only a single large die followed by Block dice.

Tylana crashes into Sword Laced with Grief, I'm fine letting Sharpened with Tears through since it's targeting Omni and even on a maximum roll it can only deal ~16% of his health.

Image That sword's glow is ominous. Be careful.

Image Don't worry, boss. This suffering… I'll take it head on and see how deeply it runs!
Image Really don't think it works that way.

Image I'm willing to give him a shot, given how last time went.

Image Ghh—

Image Got anything yet?

Image Not yet. I need to see how that blessed sword feels.

Image Ugh—have fun with that. Feels like my soul's getting sliced away…

Image What did you say..?

Image It felt like it was slicing my soul away.

Image So her blessed sword… Omni, look out!

Image Nngh-yeah, that's an attack right on the soul, alright. No protecting against it if it hits you. But don't worry, boss! My valiant spirit will burn forever!

Image This feeling… The spirit of our comrade's come to assist us! I'll—

Image No, I will! I'm going to see how dangerous this is myself.

Love is incredibly important here, acting as our primary form of sustain for the remainder of the battle.

Image Ugh… I want to strike a pose and point dramatically.

Image Maybe you should?

Image Not happening.

Image Let's just be thankful the effects aren't anything serious.

Image Why are you still here..? I asked you to go.

Image We need your power, Knight of Despair.

Image This power cannot save you. Anything I protect crumbles to dust.

The clashes this time are designed to give Tiphereth as many opportunities to activate Love as possible. Given that she has 2 Fragile, this very dumb. Do not play like I do in this fight.

At all.

Image Hey, boss. That sword there, she's definitely blessed it, right?

Image That seems right, yeah. What're you thinking?

Image I'm thinking that if we want to proceed, we'll have to take it out.
Image Won't that just make her madder?

Image Do you have any better ideas?

Image Not yet, but…

Image Then we're going with it.

Image What the heck..? This thing's hard as a rock!

Image Gh—is this how you guys used to feel all the time?!

Image Just when managing that bird, really.

Image Still… That isn't pleasant at all.

Image You get used to it, boss!

When one of these special dice hits a Fragile opponent, the Fragile is added onto the damage they would otherwise take. Here, 12% of her max HP would be 9 damage, so the Fragile makes it 11. I'm only mentioning it because I didn't know that before this fight.

Image I'm not having any problems with this one. Maybe it's because of her blessing's effects?

Image Maybe. Give it a shot!

Image I will!

Image Next time!

Image Hurry it up, Omni. Slashing and Blunt attacks both aren't working right!

Image Then leave it to the pierce specialist!

Having done much less damage than I was expecting, I take a moment to check on the actual effects of Tears here.

Those last two words there, "Resistances Change?" They're very important. This isn't the only place it's brought up, either. The 'Tears' passive of the sword mentions it outright. Also, the weakness markers show it too.

Because I didn't pay any attention, I've basically wasted the first two turns of this fight messing around when I should have been having Omni focus fire on the Tears sword to bring it down.

Thankfully, Omni has a solution to this entire situation, which'll let us get things right back on track.

It's called Transpierce. :hellyeah:

Image Smacked it clear through its weak point! Now's your chance!

Image I'm taking care of this sword. Can you get to it, Tylana?

Image Already taken care of, boss!

Whenever a sword is defeated, instead of poofing out of existence it's hard-locked to 1 HP and put into an inactive state.

Image I got this one, too. Let's finish the third one off and move on to the Knight herself!

But first, we have to select another Abnormality page. Since Justice isn't particularly useful in this fight, Hate is the clear second pick. Since I plan to have Tiphereth clash a lot anyways, she gets the nod.

Image It's happening again. Can I?

Image I'll take it. Hopefully it balances this feeling out.

Image …Huh.

Image Did it work?

Image Feels like it. At least, I don't want to pose anymore.

Image I gave it my protection, and it too died. Crumbled away, before my eyes…

Image Once more, I am worthless.
Image That form… Look out, everyone!

Image Her grief is overwhelming her! Nothing we say right now will be able to get through to her!

Once the Tears sword is defeated, all of her swords regain their full HP and Stagger Resist, and Knight of Despair enters her Despair phase—crying plays alongside the background music during this stage. As usual, she gets new dialogue here.
Knight of Despair wrote: Image Yet again, endless despair fills me…

Image Despair piles up like rocks, fractures, and leaves scars…

Image If I can’t protect others… I may as well disappear…

Image I swore to protect, yet I lost them again…
In this phase, the attacks of her three swords change. Each sword plays one of three pages, and the one they play is always the same whenever she enters her Despair mode.

Each one of the dice on these pages deals the same % HP damage as the Tears sword does, so we don't want to let them hit us. They also share the same main ability—if we can completely block the page, then the sword will pierce the Knight of Despair and damage her. Only by stopping all three of them can we actually render her vulnerable. Each of their Speed Dice are reduced to 1 during this phase, so we do get to decide where each one will be clashing.

Transpierce should be able to handle Heart-piercing Sword. In Omni's hands this is a 8-20 roll, which is nearly a guaranteed success. My original plan was to use Observe last turn to grant him a +3 Strength this turn to ensure a success… but that didn't work out, since I mistimed when we'd defeat the Tears sword.

Since all three pages are Ranged, Heavy Peaks is an ideal counterplay as well. The 2 Feeble it will give the enemy may or may not be useful since Knight of Despair is also a valid target, but its large single die is ideal for stopping any of these pages.

Lastly, Sparking Spear is a little better than 50-50 to beat both of these dice. As the best odds I had with my leftover light, I ran with it.

Image It's so strange how her swords are acting even though she's just crying.

Image That's the form that killed three employees in four shots. Don't let your feelings throw you off.

Image Right. I'll just let you two shine for now.

Image Too slow.

Transpierce crushes Heart-piercing Sword, as expected.

This makes the blade stab into Knight of Despair. Each time a sword pierces her like this, she takes 50 damage.

He's not able to win twice against Heart-tearing Sword, though. When these blades hit, the screen itself fractures for a moment. Thankfully, 10 damage isn't a huge amount for us right now.

Because Tiphereth wins 3 clashes in a row, giving our side a lot of healing.

As well as slamming the second sword into Knight of Despair.

The Despair pattern lasts for a few turns, meaning that we have time to beat all three of the swords before we miss our chance to Stagger Knight of Despair. We can't take too long, however, or she'll reset and we'll have to start from square one.

Thankfully, this is why Tiphereth is running two Heavy Peaks. :v:

Image Deflecting these swords is pretty easy… Wonder why we didn't do it back in the day?

Image Actually accomplishing it takes a lot more skill than us run-of-the mill employees have, boss.

Image Ah.

Image That's three swords. She's pinned down by her own endless grief… It's almost poetic.
Image So now what?

Image We wait and see what happens.

Once all three swords have struck Knight of Despair, she enters a staggered and targetable state. When this occurs, the entire screen fractures like a broken mirror.
Knight of Despair wrote: Image What meaning does this deep despair hold for me?

Image Just end me, please… So I can’t hold my blade ever again…

Image Your lives are also mine to protect… I was foolish…

Image These cold, black tears are all I have left…

Image …Once again, I lost myself to despair, and tried to harm someone I should not.

Image It's fine. Just take our hand. We've got work to do.

Image No… No more. If I go with you, I will be your end. It's inevitable. In this moment of clarity… Finish it.

Image We won't kill you, and we won't die either. Grant us your power, like old times.

Image Your words ring hollow. They're empty sentiment… nothing more.

Image Everyone, together!

Image Ma'am!

In theory, if we could deal 300 damage in one turn the fight could end here. In practice, we have neither the Light nor the pages to do it.

The best we can do is whittle her down as best we can, using our Light regeneration pages to recover for the next cycle.

Image How's that!

Image How unfortunate… You've tried your best…

Image But my swords are free again.
Image Oh come on..!

Image Please… leave me be.

Because we can't take her out in one cycle and our Emotion Levels are all maxed out, both our Light and hand management are put to the test here. While Queen of Hatred is a sprint to blitz her down as quickly as possible, Knight of Despair is a slog that tests our endurance.

This time around, I have Tiphereth and Tylana take care of all of the incoming attacks. This allows Omni to focus on dealing as much damage as possible to the Tears sword.

Image Second verse, same as the first?

Image Let's apply what we learned last time, at least. Omni?

Image You can count on me, boss!

Image You little punk—you'll pay for that!

Hate pays dividends as Tiphereth loses most of her first clash.

But she wins the all-important Tears rolloff. We take those.

Tylana's Gamble was only enough to block the first two hits of Grief, the third chopping off 10% of her HP.

Image I've opened it up!

Omni Staggers the Tears sword, and lops off a little over half its health in the process.

With the Tears sword wide open, I can finally use Observe like I meant to in the first round. We should be able to down the Sword and trigger her Despair phase with Tiphereth/Omni having an extra 3 Strength.

I send the Observes at the Tears sword, and have Tylana draw one of the attacks off of Omni. I figure he can take the other one without getting Staggered.

I'm really not sure at all why I had Omni attack the sword in the back, though. I figured there was enough damage on the Staggered one already, I guess?

Tiphereth knocks it down to 7 HP remaining.

Meanwhile, Omni gets whittled down to 8 SR.

And Tylana rolls minimum damage on Clean Up, to deal exactly 6 damage to the Tears sword.

Because of this, the Tears sword wasn't actually defeated. This means all the setup we just did was for nothing.

This could all have been easily avoided if I hadn't wasted both of Omni's attacks for no reason, as well. Because I did none of that, we're now forced to waste our Observe buff turn on finishing off a 1 HP Tears sword with 2 Bleed.

…So we do that. :eng99:

Image Geez… The closer her back is to the wall, the harder these swords are fighting..!

This error winds up putting Omni right on the cusp of being Staggered.

Tiphereth is not so lucky. Even if we do defeat one of Knight of Despair's swords, the remainder of its actions that turn will still play out, as its HP never actually goes below 1, and because of this we're now going into the start of her Despair phase down a member.

The only upside is that the Tears sword's %-based attacks don't deal any extra damage to Staggered opponents.

Once Despair finally starts, we're in a much worse place than we were supposed to be.

All because of 1 HP. :lobcorp:

Image Again and again, anyone I protect dies. There is no hope, only deep despair. I cannot protect anything.

Image I'm telling you, we can protect ourselves!

Image So… what's the plan?

Image We fight her into a corner again.

Gamble isn't likely to win its clash, but the rest of these are relatively safe. I'd like to have Heavy Peaks here, but…

1 HP... :negative:

Image Let's show her what we can do.

Image Right. One more time.

Omni crushes the Heart-piercing Sword effortlessly again. Transpierce is still good.

Image We need your power, and we can't take no for an answer!

Tylana's Daring Decision also beats the Heart-tearing Sword. I've also finally noticed that our librarians don't seem to move during these clashes… I have no idea why.

Image Just hold on to these for a minute, please.

Heart-breaking Sword lives up to its name, though, beating Tylana's first die with a maximum roll.

Image I couldn't take the last one out!

Image That's perfectly fine.

Image If I didn't contribute at least this much, how could I call myself the leader?

Tiphereth's able to pick up the spare on the next turn, giving Tylana and Omni a turn to rest.

And again, the Knight of Despair is open.

Image Every time… As often as it happens, those I protect die, and those I should continue protecting are swept away in despair… Once more, I ask of you. Stay my hand.

Image I already told you…

Image You, us, in this place, none of us can die!

Image How many times have I heard such sentiments from my visitors..? How many times have they ended in tragedy..?

Image I was foolish… so foolish. No more.

Image Did that do it?

Image Probably… The key is to just overcome her ordeal, right?

Image We can't change her nature. Suppressing her's plenty. Good job, team.

Image Still, I can't help but feel like her character needs a resolution…

Image All Abnormalities are incomplete facets like that. You can't fix everything with those cartoons of yours.
Image I'd just like to go back to the normal receptions… all these magical girls confuse me. :psyduck:

Knight of Despair is a step down in difficulty from Queen of Hatred, as evidenced by me playing terribly and still managing to win without any real problems. Her high HP and limited vulnerability window will test our ability to last in a long fight, but she doesn't have any particularly tricky mechanics outside of that.

…1 HP away… :negative:

VIDEO
Music: TipherethStory

Image Don’t nag me, now. This is the fastest I can go.

Image Even a snail would be faster than that, you @#$!$@!

Image Alright, I’m done moving ‘em. Sheesh, you’ve got a fiery temper.

Image I just wanna get done with what I can as quickly as possible.

Image If you’re so confident, why don’t you tell me about your progress on learning about the City’s sciences?

Image …I don’t know! What’s the point when Singularities violate all the known laws of physics anyway. I’m not even sure us librarians can be defined as living beings, either.

Image It’s true, Singularities can be a huge obstacle to understanding the City.
Image What do you mean by librarians being difficult to define, though? That part got me curious.

Image What do you think librarians are?

Image Beings that aren’t human… but kinda like humans?

Image All librarians can only exist within the Library. And they’re reincarnations of the beings from Lobotomy Corporation, Patron Librarians being the Sephirot and assistant librarians being the employees.

Image I’ve heard similar explanations, yeah.

Image Former staff of Lobotomy Corp. were given a new body, basically. Angela did keep her promise. Yet the Sephirot and the employees weren’t the only ones to come back.

Image On the other hand, the librarians have had their flesh restored, but they’re psychologically unstable. So the librarians carry Abnormalities with them when they fight guests. And we’re no exception.

Image Oh, now I see… Still, it felt like we were just borrowing power from the Abnormalities, not consumed by them. Although there have been a couple of moments where I felt as if I almost crossed some kind of line…

Image The so-called ‘Distortion’ occurs once you cross that line. And Angela is adjusting things from behind the scenes to make sure that we don’t.

Image Sounds like we’re dancing on a stage or something.

Image It’s just as you say… It feels strange to be the ones on the stage this time.

Image Could this be Angela’s little vendetta against you guys?

Image It could be…

Image Great, then could you tell her to leave me outta this?!

Image Anyway, even if the assistant librarians and I were to face horrible deaths while receiving guests, we’d wake up with a reconstructed body once the Library closes. But we still feel the fear of pain and death whenever we greet our guests. Do you know why?

Image That’s right. Librarians forget the fact that they can revive while they’re receiving guests. We have to face each other feeling the same kind of desperation and dread that guests feel. We must prepare ourselves for death and agony every time we greet our guests. How’s that? Do you still think the Library’s invitations are dirty?

Image Well, I guess that’s fair enough. But strictly speaking, we do revive at the end, don’t we? Not knowing about that when we die is one thing, but still. It’s still kinda dirty in that sense, in my opinion. Besides, even if we’re relieved of all pain when the Library closes, the fact that we were hurt still stands. Don’t you resent Angela for putting you on this stage and toying with you?

Image If she could make this more painful for us, she would have already. I think Angela’s actually caring for us in her own way. Back in Lobotomy Corp, employees were quite literally expendables. Like in all the other corporations. But here, no librarian is left behind, at the very least. No one is left behind.

Image No one is left behind, huh. I gotta say, I admire your positive mindset, Tiph.

Image Hmph! It’s the wisdom that comes with age!

Image No… It’s not just here. I’ve always been like that, since long before I came here. I just didn’t wanna wake up from my dreams.
Image But why?

Image …Because I’d have to start yet another dreary day with nothing to look forward to.

Image You don’t hold any expectations?

Image Nope~ I already threw all expectation for anything down the drain. It’s all gonna fall into ruin soon enough, me and this world I live in.

Image I might be suffering from a severe case of that “disease of the mind” you guys were talking about, after all.

Image I still believe that we can become better.

Image Well, you’re free to believe whatever you want. Alright, let’s go prepare ourselves for another dance, shall we?

With our second Abnormality Battle done, Tiphereth is nearly on par with our lower floors. She can only get to Emotion level 3 instead of 4, but she'll have a full four Librarians in a fight. She does run into a slight problem at Emotion level 3, though…

Namely: since all of her Abnormality Pages are Level 1 she still doesn't get to pick one upon advancing. Setting that aside, let's look at today's new options.

Blessing gives a Librarian a temporary boost in defense against whatever attack last hurt them. It's fairly good against opponents who only use one type of attack, but it's situational at best.

Despair requires us to lose librarians in order to get a temporary (if massive) swing in power to try and equalize things. Unless we're trying for shenanigans with some kind of sacrificial Full-Stop Librarian, there's little reason to ever choose this page.

Lastly there's Blades Whetted by Teardrops, and it's actually pretty great! Pierce attacks are really strong right now, and slapping on a 50% chance for a one-sided Wait Up! to deal 10% of the enemy's max HP (or 12, depending) brings that page right back into relevance. It's pretty good, held back mostly by Tiphereth's floor not seeing use in a normal playthrough.

Image I'm here, Angela. How's the newbie doing?

Image I've finished already. The process has gotten much more streamlined now that I've become familiar with it.

Image Guess that'd be why it isn't quite as foggy around here as the other times.

Image Then where are they..? And come to think of it, where'd Omni run off to?
Image You don't suppose… they're both in the fog?

Image The nest falls from the sky, its wings burned to nothing.

Image A maiden's tears, lamenting all she could not protect.

Image Is this really necessary?

Image For them, I think it might be.

Image From the ash and salt, we burst forth!

Image A phoenix risen to fly among the stars!

Image Magical Chinely!

Image Magical Omni!
Image Image
Image Image Handsome Warriors, Natural Science Squad Nu-Gamma! Ready for action!

Image I'm so glad we practiced for just this kind of scenario!

Image Same. After so many things were going wrong, I was wondering if it was all in vain… I'm glad to see that it wasn't.

Image All the same, you'll probably want to try and reign it in a little? For the boss's sake.

Image It's fine. I've already thought up a number of combat poses we could do with the four of us. Of course, I made sure Tiphereth is front and center in all of them.

Image Angela…

Image Yes?

Image I'm stuck with them, right?

Image That's correct. In their current states, moving them to another floor would be dangerous.

Image Well, whatever. I can deal with these two. At least they seem to be good in a fight.

Image Does that mean—

Image I'm not posing with you.

Image Train

Image Not Train

Image 141520002018010914

Image Still not Train

Videos

Tiphereth 3
Last edited by TeeQueue on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oof, that sword hanging on by 1 HP. Every time I ever come across those fringe situations where just a bit of bad luck throws my plan off because I didn't go for the guaranteed thing, I always tell myself I won't make that mistake again. Invariably this goes into a loop where I indeed make that kind of mistake again.

I've been reading how Tiphereth doesn't really see much use and looking at the abnormalities so far it's not hard to see why. Nothing truly useless but at the same time there isn't really anything that jumps out and says "I'm awesome!" Hopefully this let's play offers a chance to see what the floor can do if it gets going.

All right, we have the Chinley and Omni team again!

I’d always wondered if QOH and KOD were supposed to be sharing a book world. They both have those big cities in the background, granted Queen's is a lot more destroyed, and they had reactions to each other in LC. Then again I don’t know if having to share a place match’s with that “ideal world” Angela said they were all in.

The thread has spoken, and we're going to the far left node.

Time to see what all those crazy numbers were about, I guess!

Book 27: Sweepers—Chapter 1

Image Time to get moving again, huh? Gotta' say, it does get a little quiet around here when we're handling those Abnormalities.

Image Oh, are you bored? I'm sure I could find other work for you to do.

Image No ma'am. The amount I have now is fine, ma'am.

Image Regardless, I thought I would give you some experience observing from up here.

Image Aren't I always doing that, though?

Image Then this should be no trouble at all.

Our target today is the far left node, which requires the books from Kurokumo in order to send.

VIDEO

The Sweepers speak in numbers, making it impossible to parse what they're saying.

I know what some of you are thinking: Maybe there's a discernable code or something?

Nope, it's all 100% random digits. Sweeper language is completely incomprehensible.

Image 683024193

Image 05043…

Image Wait. I can promptly translate their speech as long as it has the form of a language.

Image Wha, seriously? You can make sense out of those few sentences AND decode a whole language from them?

Image I’m that capable.

Thankfully, Angela is a perfect AI. If not, this cutscene would be perfectly timed for April 1st. :v:

Image I know. I know that we have fewer and fewer places to properly dine at with our families.

Image I hear that the families who dine at the Nest of L Corp. are recently having a hard time seeing what is in front of them because of the mist covering the area. I hear that some families even get lost in the fog and fail to leave.

Image Why… are we not… letting Mother know…

Image If Mother knows, she will wage an all-out war against the Index. We are not certain enough to risk losing our families to battle.

Image If it is true that the Index truly has betrayed us, and if Mother is too late to realize their treachery… Many of our families will starve. They will slowly die out.

Image Less food… means Mother… will have… difficulty… fostering… new family members…

Image We all have our own homes, our own families, and our own children. I am not advocating neglect. I am simply saying that we need to practice caution.

Image I know! I know that those incidents all happened at night! I know that our presence is not as powerful as before! I know that we have lost our dominance over the nighttime of this Nest. Mother should be aware as well. We know that we need more space to use as our den.

Image We will only lose more of our dens if we get involved in bigger conflicts. If we were to engage in a full-fledged battle against the Index, we will have even less time in our hands. We must make it through, on our own.

Image What will we possibly do.

Image I know that the Library has the books of those who worked for the Thumb and the Index.<

Image Have you received its invitation?

Image I have. With this, we can confirm if the Index truly has turned its back on Mother and our families. Moreover, this will help us relieve the hardships of our families dining at Nest L.

Image If we… are not… too late… by then… that is…

Image I understand what you mean, uncle.

Image Let us call our neighbors. Let us head to the Library together. Let us tell our children to lock the doors and not let strangers in before we leave. Let us as parents protect our Mother, our neighbors, our family, and our children with our own hands.

Image They have the capacity to collectively go somewhere with a clear purpose at a time that isn’t night? And talk so fluently?

Image That’s funny. I expected them to be a little coarser.

Image I once got an interpreter to try to talk to ‘em before. I thought they could only speak in jumbled words back then. But boy oh boy, look at them using complete sentences. And they’re so talkative with each other, too… That means the interpreter I paid an arm and a leg for was a total scam and a rip-off.

Image Are the Sweepers all composed of family members?

Image It’s probably just a symbolic term they chose to forge bonds between each other. I doubt they’re actually families by blood. It’s metaphorical like the titles most other Syndicates use.

Image I heard they kidnap children from the Outskirts and the Backstreets.

Image I don’t really suggest looking too deep into Sweepers. They’re all over the Backstreets and the Outskirts. And I don’t think they have much to do with the freedom you’re looking for, anyway.

Music: Entrance

Image This is the place the scum of the Backstreets have been rattling on about.

Image We… did not… expect… to come… to the Library ourselves…

Image Greetings. …Are you our family?

Image There’s no way I am, now is there?

Image However… you speak… in the language… of our family…

Image We can speak with other members of our family.

Image I try to talk to the guests on their level these days, as you can see.

Image I am impressed. This is surprising. Behold, neighbors. The Library is not like any other place.

Image I know. This is the first time we are having a real conversation with someone who is not our family.

Image Family… is important… It is not… horrid…

Image We apologize. We are simply here to take the books we desire. And in regards to the mist covering this Nest… Do you know anything about it?

Image You’ll find out when you read the books, no?

Image That is true. All we want is to acquire the books we want to find. We will be satisfied.

Image Fine. May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: There's nothing stronger than family.

Image Nothing.

Image Nothing.

Image Dammit.
Image What are you two doing?

Image We're trying to find new research materials. It's been ten years out here, so there's go to be something…

Image But none of the guests we've seen so far seem to really watch what we're looking for.

Image That makes sense. You two are weirdos, after all.
Image It's not weird, it's preparation! There's still at least one more magical girl, and we need to be ready for her.

Image Not to mention how applicable it's been in our combats so far. Enemies don't know how to deal with the style and flair we use.

Image Then why do you wait until after the enemy's dead to pose?

Image Tradition.
Image Uh… huh.

Image How about this: Once we find something new, you can watch it with us and we can see what we can get out of it. That way, you can see exactly how important it really is.

Image Just because I've decided to accept this farce doesn't mean I want to join in.

Image But you have accepted it.

Image That's not nothing!

Image It's… provisional.

Image I've provisionally accepted you! So you'd better not screw up!
Image Yes ma'am! Thank you, ma'am!

Book 27: Sweepers—Chapter 2

Image So you've all got a plan together this time?

Image Yes. I'll be handling things as a member of the vanguard, focusing on cutting down any of our opponents.

Image I'm on stabbing duty, working alongside Hod.

Image Not exactly a bad idea either, though this doesn't seem like a plan just yet.

Image That's because you haven't seen our support.

Image My job's to make sure the others get a boost of power when they need it, and act to take care of any threats that they don't quite manage to finish off.

Image And I'm just trying to make everyone else hit a bit harder!

Image Rather than focus on a singular fighting style, we should support each other's weaknesses.

Image Those are pretty words, but putting together that many people with different ways of doing things usually leads to a lot of bickering and infighting.

Image That's true. That's why we sat down and talked over how we wanted to proceed for this, too.

Image We did it after book club the other day.

Honestly, Switch's build could have swapped out a Loosen Up for another Red Notes, but our plan here is to Strength stack and leave most of the heavy lifting to Hod's Abnormality Page-fueled rampage and Medea's Pierce deck.

Our opponents today are five Sweepers, each of which has identical stats and pages. Sweepers recover health whenever any other character is defeated, meaning that it's a good idea to take them out one at a time.

This is also our first three Act battle, and while we only get two floors to beat it with it should be plenty. We won't be doing as full a play-by-play as normal, due to the fight's length and relative mechanical simplicity. Welcome to the highlight reel.

Music: HodBattle01
Image So what's your take on Sweepers, Switch?

Image Don't be ridiculous. Everyone's heard of Sweepers before—they're basically liquid held in suits that dissolve humans with that liquid to make more of it so they can continue existing. They make perfect sense, unlike those Abnormalities.

Image I'm just surprised we can understand what they're saying all of a sudden.

Image You've got Angela to thank for that, actually~
Image You're kidding!

Image Nope. It's really convenient, huh?

On the first turn, all of the Sweepers use the same page.

333… 1973, or "Numbers" as it's more frequently called, is a single attack page with a Block die attached, which gives the user Persistence for 4 turns. What is Persistence?

It's an 80% chance to have a character's HP set to 30 when it would fall to 0. Once it triggers it disappears, but most of the time it's a get-out-of-book free effect. Between this and their HP recovery whenever anyone is downed, Sweepers are astoundingly resilient.

As a result, I wind up clashing once with each of Hod's team in order to gain some Emotion Levels, and focus one of the Sweepers with every other die we have. This will minimize the HP the enemies regain.

Image We've fought these things at least a handful of times just doing our daily work. This is just a Tuesday for us.

Image What kind of work were you doing that'd put you up against Sweepers?

Image They weren't true Sweepers. More a copy of them that manifested as a side-effect of our Singularity. On occasion they would rampage through the facility.

Image Honestly, they weren't nearly as bad as the clowns.

Image Sweepers and clowns? You actually worked in conditions like that?

Image The pay was amazing.

Here we can see Persistence activating. This hit would have been lethal otherwise.

Image Eugh… they're slipperier than I remember. It's been a while since we last fought them, though…

Image I suppose the real thing should have a few differences.

Sweeper AI is fairly easy to understand. If they have Numbers in hand and don't have Persistence, they'll play Numbers. Otherwise, they'll use one of three pages.

Trash Disposal is their favorite play, and it's the first reliable 4-die page we've seen. The last die is weak, but it makes up for it by being able to be rolled up to 6 times depending on luck.

Extract Fuel is a Light recovery page, and it gives them a bit of sustain to go along with its decent dice.

Lastly there's Night in the Backstreets. Its effect makes it a 4-7 and 3-7, which isn't terrible for a 1-cost, but since it weakens all other pages played that turn it's not really very good. Also, it being on Combat Start means that its effects will apply during Mass Attacks—this means it doesn't even have the niche utility Scratch That! does.

Anyways, just imagine clashing against those same three pages about 50 times with the occasional Numbers mixed in and you've got the basic feel of this fight. Sweepers are dangerous because they just don't go down, not because they're particularly powerful.

Image Y'know, I feel like the ones we used to fight were a bit tougher than this.

Image It looks like they were more durable in the short term, but they couldn't just keep standing like these ones can. …We can kill these, right?

Image Sweepers can definitely die. I've seen it every now and then.

Image I've just confirmed it. They're resilient, but that's all they are.

Image Don't get too ahead of yourself. They win with group tactics and attrition, not with raw power.

Image That'd make sense. They're not very strong on their own.

Image Really, we're lucky that there aren't as many as usual. Most of the time, it's three waves several minutes apart… and it's a lot more Sweepers than just five. A really good fixer can fend off one, maybe two waves. Three, though, you're going to have casualties.

Image I'm not really sure how. They don't seem to hit very hard… even the swishy tricks we have can overpower them.

Image You wouldn't get it unless you've experienced it yourself. Being in the middle of a swarm… You always see people get washed away in the tide.

Image Guess it's a good thing we only ever had the one wave, huh?

Music: HodBattle02

By turn 4 we've got our Look of the Day/Axe combo online on Hod, making her slash dice massive. Additionally, a new mechanic that starts popping up in Urban Nightmare's finally showed up.

Image Hey… guys? I'm showing that one of the Sweepers has a point of Strength it shouldn't have.

Image Where's it coming from?

Image Not sure… lemme have a closer look.

Image They've got an Abnormality Page?!

Image An Abnormality Page..? How can that be possible?

Image It appears the enemy's emotions have started resonating with the Library in a way similar to your own… They can only grasp fragments of the power you do, but it will power them up as well.

Image So it's something to make things 'more fair?'

Image Indeed.

Enemies can get Abnormality Pages to power them up as their floor's Emotion Level rises from now on. There are four two possible Abnormality Pages that an enemy can get:

+1 Strength
+1 Endurance
+2 Endurance, +1 Feeble
+1 Strength next turn when an ally is attacked (Up to twice per turn)

(TQ's note: I have been informed that two of these pages are dummied out and no longer accessible to enemies. They only get the first two.)

These mostly don't matter, but they do give the enemies a way to try and keep up once we get our more powerful Abnormality Pages going.

They also give us a priority target to take out.

Image I think it best that we take out the one who's gotten the power-up, just in case.

Image Leave it to us, boss.

Image Got 'im!

Image You're on a hot streak today, aren't you?

Image Just good timing is all.

Image We're making progress, but I don't like the damage they're getting in on the side.

Trash Disposal being 4 dice with two of them being Blocks means that their last attack is guaranteed to be a one-sided attack. This means that we'll be taking chip damage over the course of the fight, and without any form of sustain our HP will wind up whittled away to nothing while the Sweepers take forever to die. Hod's lost something like 20 HP just from this act alone, and it's not even over yet.

Image If we just take 'em out fast enough, there won't be a problem.

Luckily, Hod happens to have the perfect form of sustain for fights like this one. Meal will allow the person holding it to restore HP to the entire party at once by attacking Staggered enemies. Sweepers are very bad at dying, but Stagger just fine.

As a result (and thanks to some excellent rolls from Hod), I can have Hod attack three times with her multi-die attacks against the final Staggered Sweeper, in order to top off our party. Since our SR gets healed between Acts, this should put us near perfect health.

Here's our HP at the start of the turn.

And after Hod's multitude of attacks, we're all back at full health.

Image That's one more down. The first wave's over.

Image Good work, everyone. Stay sharp.

Second verse, same as the first. Meal's fully healed the entire team, so from here it's just a lot more of what's already happened!

Music: HodBattle02

Our goal for this portion of the fight is the same as the first, but since we have Meal we'll be having Hod focus on the Staggered enemies in order to keep our HP topped off.

Image Y'know, now that I think about it… it's kind of weird that these guys didn't show up during all the fighting.
Image How do you mean?

Image You remember how the Abnormalities were running everywhere, and the Ordeals broke free to run amok too, right?

Image Oh yeah… There were so many clowns… So many clowns.

Image We never saw any Sweepers, even then. I wonder why.

Image Well… if it's Sweepers, you have to think about that employee…

Protect is also very good at blunting Trash Disposal, since it's a lot of small attacks for them to blunt. It won't protect us from getting Staggered, but it's a good shield.

Image You mean Mizu, right? The one who always wore Today's Shy Look's mask? I can still remember the smell…

Image That's the one. Her hatred for these things was so overwhelming I'm surprised she isn't showing up now somehow.

Image She'd better stay out of it. I'm not a fan of traitors.

Image Oh, right… she was in Training when everything went down, so we got hit first. ImIdiot went right through a wall… Headfirst, so he was fine, but the employees were all in a panic.

Image She wound up leaving without hurting anyone else after that, though..

Image Because I had her cornered and she ran! Saying she smelled 'something un-cute,' she just blew past me.
Image That was how she referred to these guys. You think she took care of them?

Image It's certainly possible.

Image Possible, maybe, but she died at the same time as Tenebrais and the others, didn't she? Switch, you were one of them… you remember, right?

Image Switch and I both were. There was a call to arms… then…

Image Let's not talk about that anymore! We got Sweepers to clean!
Image Previous life stuff?

Image Yeah… Don't worry too much about it.

Image I won't. I've already come to terms with that L Corp place being a crazy deathtrap.

Image I didn't realize Mizu was one of those monsters. It'd explain what I saw, though…

Image You saw… what, exactly?

Image One of my teammates was cornered by one of those things. Then, suddenly, it raised its mask up like something'd caught its attention. It didn't even notice as it was being attacked… and it just wandered off like it had something better to do.

Image Yeah, that sounds like her… She'd ignore our savior if it meant killing another Sweeper.

Image Switch.

Image Slip of the tongue. Sorry.

On turn 5 we finally get access to our fourth Abnormality page, and I decide to go with Obsession. This isn't because we have Bleed—we really can't inflict much of it at all—but because it's the one chance we're going to have to take it and I'm not about to waste that. None of the other pages are particularly useful to us right now, anyway.

Music: HodBattle03

At Emotion Level 4, the music also upgrades to its final form. There's only one Sweeper left to take out, and Meal's kept our entire side at full health—mass healing like this really goes a long way towards taking the difficulty out of this reception.

Image Well. Mysteries aside, we've cleared the second wave of these guys. Think it's time for the main event to start?

Image Should be… Since they come in threes, make sure to keep your guard up until the end.

Image Please keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Image You've got it, miss~

The third wave includes our three named Sweepers, who are a cut above the rank and file.

In addition to the basic abilities, each one has a Hauler passive. Health Hauler and Mind Hauler do the same thing: Restoring 2 HP/SR on each hit that the owner gets against an opponent. While this isn't a big deal on the heavily defensive Sweepers, these two passives are amazing in our hands.

While Valerie has a standard Sweeper deck identical to the others, Lyla and Anton both also have an additional page added in.

Sweep the Backstreets, Anton's page, has some decent dice and inflicts Paralysis while restoring the user's HP.

Lyla, meanwhile, gets For the Family. It grants Protection to two of their teammates, as well as inflicts Bleed with one of its dice.

The basic flow of the battle hasn't changed, but how we approach it will since the enemies will be dropping Books aside from the basic Sweeper book now.

Music: HodBattle03

Image Neighbors… left them… untouched…

Image Then it falls to us to sweep them.

Image Let's leave this place clean of all of them.

Our plan is basically the same as before, though Lyla, Anton, and Valerie having unique books gives us one additional step.

Our first goal is to defeat the two generic Sweepers in the back, one per turn. This will give Valerie, Lyla, and Anton 3 Emotion Coins each turn, getting them right to Emotion Level 2 and increasing their book drop rates for us. Starting in Urban Nightmare, book drop rates are lowered down to a base of 1 instead of 3, so getting extra ones from Emotion Levels is more important than ever.

Image You guys are the last ones, right?

Image Three waves… more than enough… to sweep… anything that moves…

Image Thanks. You were right, Roland!

Image 'course I was! I know my stuff, you know?

Image One down, four to go.

Image Keep going. We'll sweep them still.

Second turn, so we focus down the other Sweeper generic.

Image Got this one open up! Take care of it, boss!

Image They're not moving any longer.

Image This was… a trap…

Image Doesn't matter. Just focus on sweeping what's right in front of you.

Image We might be able to still do something.

Image Just keep sweeping.No matter what.

Image Jeez! Even after all of this they still don't quit!

Image At least that means they won't be running away!

Image That's one way to look at it.

Turn 3, we delete Valerie. That's really the only proper term for it.

Image Sweeping continues.

Image Until the job is done.

Image Their perseverance is really something… Boss?

Image I've got you, Elle. Don't worry.

Image We will continue the sweeping, starting with this one.

Image Same to you!

Image Only… we… remain…

Image Things will be fine.

Image Are… you… certain…?

Image …No.

Image This… may be… it…

Image We're almost done, at last.

Image You're telling me… this took forever!
Image We've been outlasted? This place is truly unlike all others.

Image The big one's finally down. Just… one more!

Image You mean no more.

Image Holy heck, that was quick.

Image There was an opening, I took it.

Image I can't wait to get these sorted away… I'm gonna' need a long shower to get all that Sweeper juice off me…

Image Didn't they turn into books?

Image They did. When you're stabbing them with a giant spear, they spring leaks that get all over.
Image Ew.

The Sweepers are a grind due to their absolute inability to stay dead, and fighting three waves of enemies that chip slowly away at your HP over time can be maddening—particularly since we can't stop their Trash Disposal's final die from just running wild. However, if we bring any form of teamwide sustain the fight winds up being relatively trivial.

I didn't consider that when I selected Hod, I just thought it'd been a while since we'd used her last… thus proving, again, that it's much better to be lucky than smart.

Image I think this served as a good proof-of-concept for how we can handle future receptions, don't you?

Image Definitely.

Image I'll say! I couldn't have done better myself.
Image Speaking of teams, where's Zaida?
Image Hey, yeah. What happened to her?

Image Oh, I was watching from over here. I had the popcorn.

Image We're not supposed to be doing this for entertainment, you know.

Image I had absolute faith in the two of you to handle the hard stuff.

Image …Thanks, Zaida.

VIDEO
Image What kind of deal could’ve made them so desperate, I wonder.

Image The most I can tell is that the Sweepers are losing their ground, so they tried to make a deal to do something about it.

Image Could we get to know more?

Image No idea. Maybe the invitation will show us the answer eventually?
Image You seem to be weirdly fixed on the Sweepers, by the way. What’s up with that?
Image Something about them smelled suspicious…

Image They do have an awful smell, I’ll give you that…

Image Take a sniff of those filthy bandages, and your appetite’s…
Image Are you insane?

Image Sheesh, can’t even crack a joke…

Image Well, anyway, this is the first time our Miss Library Director let her intuition speak so much… I guess it won’t hurt to keep an eye on this case.

With that, we've successfully unlocked a new fight. Like Urban Plague, Urban Nightmare has a 2-tier system, and each fight on the base level will unlock another one. With no new Abnormality Battles to worry about, all that's left is to figure out where we're going next.

Image To those guiding the Library, immediately offer the Book of a Sweeper via invitation and receive the guests who arrive.

Videos

Sweepers 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

From here forward, some Combat Pages are locked to specific Key Page types. I will be separating them from the others by saying 'x' exclusive. In the case of Sweepers, this does include all named Sweepers like Lyla.

Sweeper Exclusive:

Mizu better be making a return soon or else i will have slightly less dopamine level.

The stench of jerky increases.

Appendix 19: Sweepers
Anton’s Page wrote: Our body is composed of liquid. Liquid is the substance that fuels our body. While humans maintain their form with the shell they call flesh and skin, we maintain our form with the suit we wear. If this liquid runs out, we will stop dead in place. Therefore, the liquid must always be filled, which is the reason we dine. This liquid is what constitutes and moves our body, but we also use the liquid to sweep the streets and dine. The method is simple. When we embed a hook connected to the fuel tank on our back into a human, they melt like a liquid. Then we consume that liquid to refuel. Without this shell, we would deform and spill on the ground like them. The liquid is patented with the approval of the Head; you must change your body to become like us if you wish to join our family. Do not worry about side effects. Mother will give you all the assistance you need. We all could safely become a family thanks to her.
Valerie’s Page wrote: The Backstreets are our main stage of activity at night. When night falls, our world unfolds. At regular intervals, we start marching from the perimeter of a Nest and sweep everything as we move forward. Even if someone stands in our way, and attacks us… Even if a powerful Fixer kills a Sweeper next to us who was our family, we pay no heed and continue onward. Like a wave of water, we sweep everything in our way, except for those who are strong enough to resist it. From an edge of a Nest to the opposite end, we march without break for 80 minutes until the ‘Night in the Backstreets’ ends.
Lyla’s Page wrote: That is correct. We are conscious of the attention of people during the daytime. We practice caution. It would be a public nuisance to show up in broad daylight and cause a ruckus, and we have a set of rules that we abide to. Of course, if the Head demands our service, we must assemble, day or night. Oh, and I believe there is a small misunderstanding between us. It is not by the will of us Sweepers that the night in the Backstreets has become a time when no deed is forbidden. Does it appear to you that every denizen of the Backstreets disapproves of the rules? ‘Anyone is allowed to commit terrible acts at night, and there is nowhere to complain to if you are victimized.’ While this means terrible things can happen to you at night, it also means that you are free to be the perpetrator of such a deed yourself. In fact, we do not see much benefit from the freedom of the nighttime, other than being allowed to dine all we want.
A Sweeper’s Page wrote: If the ‘Night in the Backstreets’ were to be gone, the Backstreets will fall into even worse chaos than before. In other words, the Night in the Backstreets is the rein that keeps this place in check. Because the Night exists, people here show the least amount of human decency.

Here’s an example. You come home at the end of a hellish day. Dragging your weary body to the sofa, you hope to get a small break lying on the couch and watching cheap entertainment shows. But guess what happens. Some crazy jerk upstairs turns up their speakerphone’s volume to the max and makes obnoxious noises that make your ceiling shake. Too bad, there goes your peaceful respite. You can’t stand the noise that’s getting to your head, so you decide to ask your neighbor to please be considerate and lower the volume. You want to talk this over without a fight, so you battle the furious urge a million times before you go upstairs. But then our unfriendly neighbor gives you a baffling reply when you confront them. I need some free time for myself too, I have gripes with my neighbors that I just live with, so you should do the same. Why make a huge fuss about the noise when it isn’t even too loud, blah blah… Talking out of their ass. What can you do, though? Barely keeping your boiling anger inside, you go back down to your house, covering your ears with a pillow and yelling curse words as you try to sleep. Even if you told your landlord about it, they’d shrug off your complaint and smile like a saint, so there’s no use speaking up about it.

That’s when the Night of the Backstreets comes into play. First off, you block the entrance to that shithead’s house before they return. Anything works; you could weld the door, use wooden planks, padlock the door, or whatever. Ensure that they can’t enter their own house by any means, and go back to your home. Some time later, they’ll come back to find that the door to their house has been sealed shut; they’ll struggle with the door before giving up. And they’ll make a serious face as though they’re trying to think of who could’ve done this ridiculous prank to them. Once they realize that it couldn’t possibly have been anyone else’s doing but yours, it’ll be too late. Because you’ll be behind them, bashing their head in with a brick or some heavy object. Killing them right now would obviously break the rules, so you drag them to your house and enjoy a quiet rest.

When the clock hits 3 AM, you drag the little shit outside and throw it in the middle of a relatively large street. You return to your home before it’s too late and watch the scene from the window. The time is 3:13 AM; Sweepers crawl out of the dark and sweep the streets clean, collecting all the trash including that noise pollutant.

Book 28: Index Proselytes—Chapter 1

Our target this time is the node directly after the Sweepers.

Image We seem to follow up on things we've started… at least when a new round of options show up.

Image Not always. As you'll recall, those Bremen Musicians followed up after the Full-Stop Office. They were as far apart as could be.

Image That's true! I'd forgotten about them after seeing what happened on that train. I wonder what it's based on, then…

Image Perhaps it's simply what's interesting? Most of the books we've read lately are based on what interests us.

Image It's possible, I guess…

Image Seems more likely that it's just a lot of random, doesn't it..?

Image That seems most probable.

VIDEO

Image By Lily, does it mean Mrs. Lily who’s living next door…? I did hear it’s her birthday tomorrow…

Image I’m not sure myself…

Image …What if she bites one of those needles and gets hurt?

Image ……You never know, she might luckily notice the needles before she eats them. Or you could tell her in advance that there are needles in her cake.

Image Oh… Is it okay for me to spoil the Prescript to her?

Image The Prescript didn’t say anything about it, so it should be alright…

Image It’s strange, though. I’ve been only getting weird Prescripts like this lately… Is there a meaning to this?

Image If you don’t carry out the Prescripts, the Index won’t provide protection… You have a family, right? I hope you can fulfill this one smoothly.

Image …Okay.

Image Sorry, sir. I sadly can’t do anything for you even if you cling to me. Now… Take in deep breath, and read it out.

Image …‘To Lee Deok-gu. Play rock paper scissors with the third person you meet and play rock. If you win, pull out 59 strands of their hair…’

Image ‘Then, apply seafood-cream pasta sauce with mealworms fed on styrofoam to it three times, and eat it with a fork.’ Sick bastards… You’re telling me to eat that shit? I had to make risotto out of sewer water and give it to Minji next door just a week ago… They ate it without asking, and ended up going to the ER!

Image Fuck this!

Image I’m sorry… All I do is deliver the Prescripts…

Image Please… I’ll give you as much money as you want! Or let me get a different Prescript just this once, I beg you…

Image I’d love to change this, but… I don’t have the authority to do that. …Everyone faces a test of faith in the Prescripts. I hope you can overcome this.

Image Hello, Proxy Gloria. Do you have business with Mister LaMarcus here, too?

Image Yep, I do! I got a Prescript, hehe.

Image Hello, Mister LaMarcus? Are you there? We’re here to talk~!

Image Mmm~? This won’t do! Leave it to me, sweetie~

(Door breaking noises)

Image Aha~ There you are!

Image Did this person not carry out his Prescript?

Image Nope! So a Prescript came down to me, telling me to smash Mister LaMarcus’s frontal lobe.

Image Usually, Proxies only receive Prescripts on the rare occasion… of someone else not carrying out their Prescript, Mister LaMarcus.

Image …You’re shitting me. ‘Kill the painting you've drawn.’ …Does this make sense to you!!? Painting was everything in my life, and I smeared my own art with ink… stabbed them, tore them… Painted pictures of dead people in so many different ways… I did everything!!!

Image Huh~? That’s a totes simple problem~ Just pick anyone from the streets, use them as a model for your painting, and then kill them. Isn’t that a no brainer?

Image Th… This is… This isn’t my fault! It’s the Prescript being too vague…!

Image It’s not the Prescript’s fault that you were too dumb to get it~

Image You sick fucks! I did all I could to live! I relayed numbers to a guy called Riemann, I moved a unicorn plushie to a park, and I even found a way to see green from a white wall for Hye-in! I’d been doing so good…

Image Too bad you couldn’t keep it up this time~

Image I understand that you tried. But…

Image Once we get a Prescript, we should carry it out, no exceptions~

Image …I’m sorry.

Image Ahhhhhhh!

Image Is this really all I have to do to be protected by you guys? No need to pay money like with the other Syndicates?

Image Yes… That’s the case. All you need to do is carry out each Prescript accordingly.

Image Sweet! The Index really is the best! You don’t ask for backbreaking fees like the others do.

Image Will you please reconsider? Nothing is truly free in this City…

Image I just have to carry out the Prescripts that come to me from time to time, don’t I? The Nest went under so suddenly… Dangerous gangs started prancing around the residential area… And other Syndicates all wanted me to pay absurd amounts of money or sign these ridiculous contracts… The Index is the only one me and my family can count on!

Image …If you believe so. You’ll be safe as long as you follow the Prescripts.

Image Maybe…

Image Prescripts will be Prescripts. It’s not like you ever cared about how many Prescripts you got.

Image I have no doubts about Prescripts, no~ Though we might be seeing a lot of bloodshed with the Thumb and the Sweepers at this rate? I don’t have any blood left in my body to shed anyhow~

Image It’s our role to act on behalf of the Prescript’s will.

Image ……

Image We will carry out the Prescripts we’ve received first. As Proxies, each of us will convey the content that Prescript Messenger Yan gave us to the Proselytes in our familia.

Image …What are the Prescripts about this time, by the way?

Image Let’s see~ Mine is to extract the spinal cords of 37-year-old people in this Nest.

Image Every 37-year-old in the Nest?

Image Dunno~? It’s up to Proxy Esther to clarify ambiguities in Prescripts, y’know~?

Image It does target all denizens of the Nest. Search for every single person of the specified age and take their spine.

Image Our familia’s task is to exchange the left leg of the fourteenth person we come across today with the right leg of the twenty-sixth person we run into.

Image They’re so out there~ It actually feels strange to get a straightforward Prescript for once, you see, Yan~?

Image This one needs no explanation.

Image …I will send my Proselytes to the Library as my Prescript dictates.

Image It seems the ‘Prescripts’ are often vague and need clarification.

Image I haven’t seen ‘em myself, so I frankly have no idea how those instructions look. Dunno who makes the Prescripts, either.

Image It’s impossible that they could maintain such a massive Syndicate following orders that come out of nowhere.

Image That’s the scary part. Those Prescripts seem random, but they work out in their favor somehow.

Image And no one knows who’s responsible for making them?

Image I haven’t seen anyone that knows, at least. The Prescripts are long since appointed as a Star of the City.

Image I can hardly believe that so many are following such amphigory so blindly.

Image That’s pretty much everyone in the City. Like they said, people all just live according to the purpose of life given by someone or something else without thinking twice. Heck, those who are still lost without a purpose would gladly take Prescripts.

Image Even if they require them to yield their own lives?

Image They’re willing to declare war against the Thumb because a Prescript said so. Life surely isn’t the biggest concern for them.

Image But that’s only a conflict between Syndicates, not Wings. Can it really be called a war?

Image Ehey, ma’am~ You have no idea how big they really are! When the hundreds of Finger-affiliated Syndicates all clash at the same time, the scale and the aftermath is most certainly comparable to that of a war between Wings.

Image This town’s gonna be noisy with those fanatics around for a while.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Tier 0.

Videos

Index Proselytes

Image 'Ey, kiddo. Did you ever find anything out about that case I sent you on?

Image The weird case with the sightings?

Image What else would it be? Whatcha' got for me?

Image Nothing. The rumors and evidence all dry up 'round about the time we first fought the Full-Stop office. Nobody's seen anything.

Image Then what's your working theory? I know you've got one.

Image Don't you have a lot of faith in me…

Image Thinkin's basically all you do, kiddo.

Image The way I see it, one of two things is the case. One: it's people mistaking their coworkers for interlopers. Enough of them and you'd think there might be a ghost somewhere.

Image But why would it've stopped, if that was the case?

Image Exactly. Which leaves us with two: Someone from the outside's snuck in.

Image Which, given how this place is surrounded by impenetrable fog and can't be reached without an invitation…

Image Is impossible. Therefore, we have determined that the following must be true: These rumors are bullshit.

Image Well, if that's what you're thinking, that's probably all there is to it.

Image Yeah… pretty much.

Image Sorry t'waste your time, then.

Image It's no problem. The whole thing ultimately took me just a couple of minutes to figure out.

Image Aha. So then you'd say it was a…
Image Please no.

Image Brief case? :mmmhmm:
Image …I'm leaving.

Book 28: Index Proselytes—Chapter 2

Image Huh. I make this look good.

Netzach's using a Sayo build with the Haulers and even Emergency Rations for some extra HP restoration. We're a little ahead of where we're intended to be, so recovery is somewhat important.

Image The cravat suits me as well!

Oscar is Oscar. We've traded out Wait Up! for Extract Fuel, but otherwise we're basically running the same deck.

Image We're murdering people. How we look really doesn't matter.

Image Sure it does! We're the floor of art, after all! We have to look good!

Salvador's page also still sees use here, and while Mr.Blond won't be great for clashes, he's still able to put out good damage in a one-sided attack.

Image Then… should I… change? I wanted to go for something durable, but…

Image You're fine. As long as you're comfortable.

Image Actually I feel more… liquid, than comfy. It's really off-putting.

Image Just don't get stabbed, and you'll be fine! Really, though, that's simply life. HAHAHAHAHA!

All four of the enemies today are generic Index Proselytes. They all share the exact same stats and abilities.

They have a final passive as well, which is just Slash/Pierce Stunner III but for Blunt attacks. All three of these passives are from an older version of the system where random passives would appear on Key Pages as they were leveled up, and can no longer be obtained in regular gameplay. This is for the best, as none of the random passives were very good.

Image Are you guys all ready to go?

Image Ah… so it's you today, Malkuth?
Image That's right! Make sure to not slack off today, Netzach!

Image …Honestly…

Music: NetzachBattle01

Image You guys're seeing this, right?

Image Seems like they're all targeting a specific enemy.

Image Could just be bad luck..?

:v: As the prescript points, so shall we go!

Image Gonna' guess it's not.

Remember how we can focus-fire on specific targets in order to take them out quickly and lower how many enemies there are to deal with? The Index's plan is to do that to us. They pick one target, they focus all their attacks on that target until they are gone, and then they move on to the next one. Because of that, attack redirection is more important than usual.

Every turn, the Proselytes get a +2 to a random die type, which can be seen as a status effect here. I've circled the one for this clash; it's Slash. They try to use pages which match their type, and when Slashing is up they like Execute for its +4 Power when the user is in Singleton.

What's Singleton?

Singleton is a state which is achieved by having no duplicate pages in a deck. The Proselytes all only have one copy of each page they use, so they're in Singleton at all times. So… this page basically gets a +4 Power on its first die for free, making it a 9-11 after the Slashing bonus. Transpierce is not wasted here, as anything less wouldn't be able to clash with it at all.

This clash, on the other hand, is a guaranteed loss on the first die. The second clash is nearly even, so it could go either way.

To Where the Prescript Points is only a +1 Power to both dice instead of a +4 to a single die, but it's still free Power, and the +2 Pierce on top of it means that we aren't going to win the first two clashes.

The last opponent we don't clash with at all. Since they don't have a Blunt page in hand, they use Will of the Prescript—the best page in the Proselyte deck, and arguably the best page in the entire game.

This page has incredibly strong dice for this point in the game, and both of its offensive dice are Pierce to slot perfectly alongside one of our Wedge passives. On top of that, this page draws three pages if the user is in Singleton. In all but the longest of battles, a single Will of the Prescript is enough to cover for the draw needs of the entire deck.

I'm really not sure why you guys sent us here this quickly, but thank you.

Image Netzach, I don't think you'll be able to beat them through raw strength.

Image I know already. They've got us outmuscled.

Image Then you have a plan already, right?

Image Yeah. We're definitely faster, so we'll take them down with quantity.

Situations where we're outgunned are ideal for Netzach's floor, since his natural tankiness will let us eat damage while whittling the enemy's forces down using our extra dice. Any clash we win today is going to be a bonus.

Image Strength from singleminded devotion… It's powerful.

Image But not unbeatable. Stay sharp, you three.

Image QUITE sharp! I've never seen someone block my spearing technique before!

Image You should expect at least this much from the agents of a Finger. Really, you could say the true test starts here.

Image Nice story and all, but it just boils down to waiting.

Image And hitting back!

Image It's an ugly strategy… but that's our specialty, wouldn't you say?

Image HAHAHAHA! Quite! We're no strangers to patching ourselves up!

Image Hey… if this strategy's so good, why's the music saying that you're losing?

Image Never listen to the music. It doesn't know anything.

Undertake Prescript is the Blunt equivalent of Execute or To Where the Prescript Points, and it's probably the worst of the lot. It's still stronger than almost anything we have on hand, with only the third die being a clash that's in our favor.

Faith is a page we can reliably beat the second die on right now, and that's all I have to say about it. :effort:

These two clashes are just to keep the damage as spread out as possible. There's no real risk to this, since once the Index has chosen a target they won't stop attacking them until they're gone.

Image Okay! I've got the hang of this body. Let's take it for a real test drive.

Image You know you're going to take a beating, right?

Image It's fine! Sweepers don't have conventional pain receptors. They're just liquid and suit.

Image Huh. Clever.

Image Aha..! That… wasn't pleasant!

Mend Weapon was a throwaway page anyways, this is fine.

Image Okay… just gotta' hold on, and counterattack at the end. I've got this.

Image Dang it!

:rolldice:

Image Don't worry about it too much. Just press forward.

Image Oh! Like a Sweeper! I got it!

Image I didn't even think of that…

Image Yep… still hurts.

Image I'd appreciate some help from our trump cards by now!

Image Don't worry about that! I'm showing you guys' emotions are running high enough that they should show any second now.

Image Oh yeah… it looks like you guys are having a terrible day!

Laughing Powder is our instant-pick. Since I know we're going to be taking a lot of hits, the bonus to our SR every time we take a hit is going to keep us running longer than the Proselytes, and that's the key to our victory.

It's also going to be put to the test immediately, because I can redirect no attacks this turn! :lobcorp:

Image Well… this is bad.

Image What are your orders, sir?

Image …I'll give it my all one last time, so make sure they all die afterwards.

Image HAHAHAHA! Just be sure to keep smiling 'til the end, and it'll be fine!

Since Netzach is basically screwed here, I give up on the idea of having him defend himself at all and instead focus on counterattacking. Since the Proselyte we've been softening up is about to go down, I really want to focus on taking out a second one as well. Trading Netzach for one Proselyte would be fine, but if I can trade him for two we've all but won.

For reference, Netzach will be starting this turn with 66 HP and 23 SR.

Image Oh… that's kinda nice, actually. Heh. Reminds me of Enkephalin.

Image They're probably not that far apart.

Every hit we take with Laughing Powder active gives the screen this filter, and restores our SR.

While Netzach's taking a beating and lost 24 HP so far, his SR is nearly unchanged at 22.

He even manages to Stagger this Proselyte on the counterattack!

Unfortunately, while his SR is much more difficult to decrease, his HP is not.

And the final Proselyte takes him down with their final offensive die.

He still had 11 SR remaining. Laughing Powder is nuts.

Image Guess… this is it. Dammit, I didn't want to die anymore…

Image Boss..? They just booked him! He's a book!

Image You think we're going to just let you get away with that?!

:v: Thinking? Nah, brah. I follow the prescripts?

Image Well congratulations! Your prescripts have brought you here! To this moment! Make sure you keep that smile on your face from here forward, no matter what happens!

Image And for the record: What's going to happen is you die.

Tentacles goes onto Carlos so that we can use it alongside Trash Disposal to hopefully mess some of the enemies up.

Music: GuestBattle02

Image Seriously guys, music's saying you're getting your ass kicked. May wanna do something.

Image We're fine. Just give us one more second.

Mr.Black becomes the next target after this, but the enemy doesn't roll nearly as well so we can pull one off of him. Since he's got no chance of dying this turn with only two attacks coming his way, I put the rest of the team on cleanup duty.

Image How dare they. Dying with a smug smile on their face like that…

Image And what's wrong with that?! It's better if they smile! They followed their heart all the way here, after all!

Image Is it really their heart if it's a piece of paper?

Image Semantics!

Carlos only manages to get two hits off on this Proselyte with Trash Disposal, but it's enough.

Mr.Blond manages to knock them out with his last attack of the turn.

Token of Friendship is the go-to in almost any encounter. We'll be healing 6-7 HP/turn with it for 3 turns on all our Librarians, which will go a long way towards extending our longevity. It's better in situations where the enemy isn't trying to dogpile a single target, but we've still got a use for it.

Music: NetzachBattle02

Image See? Told you we had it.

Image Thanks to my amazing guidance, of course.
Image Was it really that amazing?

By turn 5, the situation's well in hand. This sort of battle is very normal for Netzach. We lost almost every clash and focused on dealing damage where we could, and while we've both taken a roughly equal number of hits our overall HP/SR are nearly full while the enemy is on their last legs.

Netzach is the stall deck of Library of Ruina: If we just hang out for long enough, the enemy will eventually run out of steam and lose even if our overall damage output is a bit less than theirs.

We're still probably going to lose this clash, but at this point it's not going to do much more than scratch Mr.Black.

The other clash this turn is one of those where I pull a low speed die down and dogpile on them before they can react—that Proselyte in the back is likely going to be Staggered before they can attack us at all.

…or not. Mr.Blond only manages to knock them down to 9 SR.

Image They're coming your way, Carlos!

Image You bought me plenty of time! As long as it's not a stabbing attack, I'll be fine!

Image Oh heck! A stabbing attack!
Image Oh no! Those are the worst!

A hard enough hit can still overcome Netzach's incredible defensive pages, so it's important not to take too many large hits all together—this is also around the point in the game where weaknesses become a real liability. Losing 1.5x the HP or SR was fine when the enemy dice were only rolling 3 or 4, but now that 9's and 10's are popping up regularly it represents a large difference in damage taken.

Mr.Black, meanwhile, manages to get away with only scratch damage.

And even Staggers his opponent with the follow-up.

Image This one's all ready for processing! HAHAHAHAHA!

Image It's a shame about the boss, but it seems we've got it well in hand from here, right?

Image …yeah, we should have it.

Image Still… I don't know if we can keep it up for future battles if we keep losing people like this.

Image That's a problem for tomorrow! What's important is to keep smiling in the now!
Image Ah, yes sir! Smiling, sir!

Image HAHAHAHAHAHA! One down! Handle the other!

Image Leave it to me!

Image Ah man… they're still up..! We didn't do enough.

Image I'd say we did the perfect amount… right Malkuth?

Image Absolutely! Good job, everyone.
Image Huh?

Image When an enemy's on fire, there's no point in beating them all the way down anyways. It just wastes effort.

Image Oh… so that's what you meant!

Image Can't call it a perfect victory, but there's no use crying over spilled blood! Let's get this cleaned up!

Image I've gotta' say… their fighting style is kind of intense.

Image I guess Mr. Stays-in-the-back-and-shoots wouldn't understand the appeal of a slugfest like that.

Image …shut up, Dimi.

All in all, the Index Proselytes are significantly stronger foes than we've faced before, only barely placing behind Tomerry's rage mode in terms of raw damage. However, their damage output is handicapped by their lack of Speed, letting us take twice the actions as they do. So long as we can output more damage overall than they can, we'll win the fight—though it'll be bloody.

Image That… does not get any easier.

Image Welcome back to the land of the living, boss!

Image Yeah… five minutes.

Image Same.

Image I probably shouldn't lie down. I feel like I might… leak. I'll just get back to work.

Image I really can't wait to get my hands on those new toys.

Image You noticed how powerful they were too, eh?

Image Of course. My next creation won't lose to anything!

Image I'm sure it won't, ImIdiot.

Image Not gonna' hold my breath…

Image Now that the fingers themselves are getting involved, it'd be nice if we had some extra firepower on our side…

Image They didn't seem particularly more difficult to receive than any of our other guests.

Image That's because Proselytes are the lowest of the low, and we only saw four of them. If something like the Thumb or Middle send an army at us, we'd be in some real trouble.

Image I see. In that case, it's rather fortunate timing. It seems Malkuth's floor has gained the books it needs to progress onward.
Image Hey, that is fortunate! Should we shimmy right for it or—

Image We'll see. For now, simply receive guests as you always do.

Image "If you feel an abdominal pain and a tingling sensation in your neck, the best thing you can do now is look at the great blue sky you'll never get to see again."

Image Sorry about that… I've got things back on track now.

Image There shouldn't be any more Mr.s Monkeying around with the polls anymore for a while.

Image Together, we'll change things for the better.

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

So I consider Will of the Prescript to be massively overhyped for one simple reason; the 3 cost. you're basically trading draw problems for light problems and it will absolutely ruin your light curve. it's not a bad page on its face, but wanting to use it as often as possible 'cause with two pages used each scene you need to play it every three turns to break even. assuming that you don't fail to draw it within those three scenes.

Appendix 20: Index Proselytes
An Index Proselyte’s Page wrote: No two Prescripts are the same in any way; as well as their contents being completely different from each other, you can’t expect when and where you’ll receive one. It could be placed between the patties of the hamburger you’re holding, it could be in your mailbox, it could be handed to you by a passerby. However, if you question who delivers those Prescripts or where they come from and put your curiosity into action, the Proxies will come for you, so beware. Here’s a few examples of the Prescripts:

‘To Rimi, Deliver a bacon pizza to Danny’s doorstep on 8th St. before 10 AM sharp on September 14th.’

‘To Jimin, Do not utter a single word for five days.’

‘To Sehee, If the first person you meet outside today answers your greetings by lifting their right hand, take their heart out; if the person ignores your greetings, remove your own heart from your body.’

…And this is only scratching the surface of the shambolic orders written on the Prescripts. The contents of a Prescript range from ordinary tasks to things that cannot be carried out in relatively normal (in terms of morality) means… The arrant variety and creativity of the Prescripts will make you wonder just what goes on in the head of the person responsible for writing them. Take a moment to think about how you would feel if you received a Prescript that says ‘Chop off your right ankle and eat it medium rare. (P.S. You don't have to eat the bones.)’ You’d think this is an absurd instruction no sane person could follow, but those who belong to the Index will feel glad that it doesn’t require chopping off both feet or eating the bones.

The thread has spoken! Next up, we do Malkuth's fourth Abnormality battle.

Bees. My god.