Ohhh... Library Battle SIMULATION: Let's Play Library of Ruina

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Appendix 5: Pierre's Bistro
Pierre’s Page wrote: Most cooks who live here have the same dream: becoming one of ‘The Eight Chefs’! They’re the people who pursue the ultimate delicacy. Their way of cooking will… give you a thrill just hearing about it! You don’t feel it? No no, I’m sure you can feel it inside. I sound crazy? Nyeh, listen up, you stubborn square! This is why I can’t talk with people whose brains are too old. They taste bad, too!

There’s a limit to the flavors people can draw forth. The height of taste the human tongue can feel isn’t as impressive as you might think, really. The most delicious food doesn’t come close to sending chills down your spine. At most… it’s just good enough to make your eyes spin! And the food you guys casually eat, going “Mm~ Tasty~”, are way! Way, way way way waaaaaay~ below that! So, many chefs gathered round one time… pondering what to do to pursue a taste beyond this limit… And then inspiration struck all of them at the same time like lightning! What if they sublimated the experience into taste, something beyond what the tongue can feel? You know, they say the presentation of food adds to its taste, right? What if the whole process of cooking could be tasted! They performed several experiments in an attempt to make that dream come true.

“So?” What do you mean, “So?” I wouldn’t be trying so hard if there was an end to delicacy! All the chefs are continuing their research to this day, seeking more stimulating flavors. And I just want to be as good as the stain on their apron at least!
Jack’s Page wrote: Our usual source of cooking ingredients are Syndicates specializing in butchery. The kinds of meat they treat and how they process it differs for each Syndicate, so you should pick your caterer carefully. Our meat pie bistro used to frequently trade with ‘The Musicians of Bremen’ and ‘Little Piggy's’.

‘The Musicians of Bremen’ provided large quantities of meat, though it wasn’t exactly the freshest. Shattered chips of bones were often in the meat, and the mixture of different types would create an odd flavor. Still was a reliable supplier of ingredients, all in all. Outside of special occasions, we’d use them for making experimental dishes or sausages. Oh, speaking of, sausages are made from a mix of several different kinds of meat. You could even find a rat inside at times. Anyway, we rarely sold the dishes made out of their meat other than the sausages. They’d never treat their meat nicely before handing it to us.

The meat from ‘Little Piggy's’ is pricey and comes in small quantities, but its quality is good. We even got the highest grade meat sometimes if we were lucky. Just looking at the meat from ‘Little Piggy's’ fills me with ideas about how to cook it and makes my mouth water. That’s how appealing the meat looks. But the price is rather heavy, so we only used it for important dishes or foods we serve to customers.

But both Syndicates suddenly said they’re no longer selling ingredients for some reason. So now Pierre and I have to pioneer a new supply chain on our own. I don’t think this is all too bad, though. I enjoy working with Pierre a lot.
A Backstreets Butcher, Page 1 wrote: District 23 is the street of flavor. Everything is permitted in the pursuit of making delicious dishes. Even dismembering humans. Isn’t that exciting?

‘A guest walked into a restaurant for a meal, but then the chef fell in love with them! They had the perfect amount of tenderness and girth. The chef pulled out a knife, and the guest ended up on a plate. You'll become the food you appreciated one day, and others will appreciate what you've become.’

It’s a common story often told in these streets. Well… If you really become the main character of one of those tales, be honored. That means the chef saw you as excellent meat. Hmm? This is one of the best compliments you can hear in District 23. The more you know~
A Backstreets Butcher, Page 2 wrote: Butchering a human is a lot simpler than butchering other animals. Most of them are smaller than us. Which means we can subdue them right away even if they try to resist. Oh, I’m not saying you necessarily have to be tall to be a butcher, so don’t be discouraged. Anyway, humans can be a bit noisy, but they’re very handy to deal with overall since there’s little to worry about compared to other meats.

Besides, the uhh… ‘The Eight Chefs’? For them, human meat is the one and only ingredient that matches their pursuit. Some buzz about how the process of cooking should be part of the flavor… You can’t do that with any other meat. So you’d better watch it. If you dare wander this part of the town, your destination might end up being a dining table.

Technological Sciences—203.54—Forsaken Murderer

Music: Lobby

Here's a shot of Yesod's book burning screen, before I can forget again. :v:

Our build for Yesod is mostly about having low cost options that inflict status effects on decent dice, and high-cost options that are about dealing damage and also inflicting more status effects. Our Key Page is Mo again, for the random extra Paralysis on hit and the Normal resist to Blunt damage. Mo is a good choice for a surprisingly long time.

Image This should do. But this body is so slovenly…

Image Much better.

Image It's time. Remember to do your work thoroughly.

Image Obviously.

Image Is this one particularly tough?

Image Not at all. Even Malkuth could handle it.

Image Yeah—
Image Hey! I'm not an 'even Malkuth!'

Image Let's just get this over with.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle01

Forsaken Murderer is in his breaching form when we fight him here—we won't be seeing his usual head until we've defeated him and gotten his pages.
Forsaken Murderer wrote: Image Don’t look at me with those eyes. You’re the most pitiful ones here…

Image I may be a mess now, but you’ll have to fear me all the same.

Image Release me… Why do I have to be bound, dammit!

Image Even if my body is tied… I’m as free as any man.

Taking a look at his passives, there are two major takeaways. The first is that we definitely don't want to get hit—the 2x Stagger damage is on top of any weaknesses we may have. A Fatal Stagger resist will take 4x the damage. This is part of why I went with Mo—all of his attacks are Blunt type, so we're safe there.

The other is that status effects will lower his die rolls through the floor. "Power" is a keyword we'll be seeing a lot from now on (I've used it a few times myself already), so I'll explain it here. Any time Power is mentioned, it's referring to the result of our roll in a clash. Here, a -4 Power means that a 4 is subtracted from whatever the die result is, in order to determine how it fares in a clash. Needless to say, we want this on as much as possible.

Forsaken Murderer's pattern is very simple as well. For two turns, he uses this 0-cost page. Since this is the first turn, I opt to go for Rampage in order to inflict Bleed. This can fail, but if it does we don't have to panic yet since next turn we'll be seeing this page again.

Image Don't get ahead of yourself, Abnormality.

Thanks to some luck, we manage to hit with all three dice of Rampage. This means Forsaken Murderer will have 2 stacks of Bleed on him next turn, which triggers his Fear passive.

While Fear is active, the border of the battlefield gains a dark border, and his mid-battle dialogue changes.
Forsaken Murderer wrote: Image …My body feels weak. What am I supposed to do?

Image Fine, I’m sorry… I’ll behave myself… No more of that…

Image I’m scared… I’m scared that I have to feel things I don’t want to feel…
From here, the ideal outcome is to continue to hit him with status effects turn after turn to prevent him from ever getting to do anything.

To that end, I go for E-endure. Its second die can't lose against Forsaken Murderer's current 1-1 range (dice results can never go below 1), and it'll pass Paralysis on to the next round for certain.

The Blunt die doesn't do any actual damage to him, but ultimately we're remaining undamaged and Library of Ruina is all about dying slower than our opponent.

On Scene 3 he busts out his signature page: Metallic Ringing. If we see this page come out without Fear on him, we're in a pinch—the odds are in favor of us being Staggered if we play anything short of a Commandeering. Even with Fear, this can be a tricky page to handle due to having three 1-3 dice, and most infliction pages having dice that fall in that range.

Because we've given him Paralyzed 2, however, two of those rolls will be 1-1, and the third will be 1-3. Because of that I go for You're Too Slow to take advantage of his low dice and stack up Power increases for a big attack die.

Yesod dodges all three attacks effortlessly…

And delivers a crushing blow, Staggering Forsaken Murderer.

Goin First is our best damage page to follow up, with the second die dealing a guaranteed 8 damage and the third die dealing between 8 and 16 after Fragile. We'll need to be lucky to score a win with it.

We are not lucky. :rolldice:

And the next turn our offensive die fails to deal more damage, leaving him with 1 HP after Bleed.

So in the end, it takes us 6 Scenes…

To beat Forsaken Murderer without taking a single hit. :hellyeah:

Image Huh… nice job.

Image But how come I'm the only one who had trouble with their book monster so far..?

Image Perhaps Fixers simply aren't all they're billed to be.

Image Ouch, man… You don't hold back, do you?

Image I see little reason to.

Image Right… anyways.

VIDEO
Music: YesodStory

Image Your clothes are still slovenly.

Image I appreciate it, but it feels kinda awkward to be honest.

Image Proper attitude of the mind begins with a well-conducted body.

Image Well, I guess I should say thanks.

Image What is your business this time?

Image Nothing unusual. Got some books to deliver, and some questions to ask. Heard from Malkuth that the librarians here used to be humans long ago. Is that true?

Image …It is.

Image Were you all seasoned brawlers in your past lives, then? Like the ringleaders of Syndicates? Although, my intuition as a Fixer is telling me otherwise.

Image Your observation would be correct. None of us lived such a violent life. Save for a couple of exceptions, that is.

Image Knew it. How are you so skillful at dealing with guests, though?

We covered this back in the tutorial, Roland. Try and keep up. :colbert:

Image Oh, so that’s why you guys seemed to grow sorta stronger with every book I gave you.

Image In the Library, books act as a source of power. Emotions can do the same. Through the books, we can imbue our own bodies with the senses and strengths that were engraved in other’s bodies. Moreover, the Library can amplify the emotions of its denizens; it acts upon visitors and residents alike.

Image Wow, these “books” are a lot more impressive than I thought. Heck, they might even be better than the surgeries and tools most workshops have to offer. Information is one thing, but this could be a real moneymaker.

Image You think in secular terms.
Image Call it the pathetically tearful survival instincts of a man who’s lived most of his life in poverty, will ya?

Image Anyways, that’s all for my questions. Thanks for your kind answers.

Image Don’t mistake this for kindness. I do not particularly think highly of you. You’re nothing more than Angela’s little lapdog.
Image What? Hey, that’s rude! You know I didn’t take this job by my choice.

Image Does that necessarily exempt you from guiltiness, however? Now, if you’re done with your errands, kindly take your leave now.

With that, Technological Sciences is now level 2, and we get our first batch of Abnormality pages.

Yesod's floor really likes Blunt dice, and Metallic Ringing gives us a bonus for using them, making each hit deal 1 Bind and 1 Paralysis. While we know what Paralysis does, Bind gives a -1 to all of the bound character's Speed Dice for that turn—it's a very niche ability, and not usually worth thinking about. The Paralysis alone makes this page very good, however.

Violence is also pretty good, particularly in the early game. -1 to +3 on dice ranges works out to an average of +1 Power to all dice rolled after it's selected, and this early on some of our dice have a base roll of 1—meaning that there's no actual downside for them.

Chained Wrath absolutely breaks the game, but not for a good long while so we'll revisit that later on. Right now we can't even pick it. Rest assured, it's very good and even when being used normally it's practically an instant-pick as long as we have a Blunt user (and on Yesod's floor, that will be always).

We also get our next set of assignments. These are relatively simple, though the first one will require us to have three Librarians on a floor and the third will gate it until after Malkuth's next Abnormality at the earliest.

Image Enough stalling, Angela. I was promised one of my agents back.

Image I haven't been stalling. This process simply takes some time to stabilize.

Image It's true. It took some time for Bishop, too.
Image Really? It felt just like waking up for me…

Image Not very good at waiting, are you?

Image I'd say we've all waited more than long enough already.

Image Mornin', kiddos. I miss much?

Image I'll brief you shortly.

Image Appreciated. Would've been here earlier, but my schedule had me all... tied up.

Image Image Image
Image Man, I missed you.

Image :mmmhmm:

Image Consider your absence excused. Back to work, all of you.

Image Sir.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Image A protagonist, a heroine, and a mentor walk into a Library...

Videos

Yesod 2

Book 9: Streetlight Office 1—Chapter 1

Image The next invitation has been prepared.

Image This is the first time we've needed two books…

Image As our opponents become more powerful, we'll require more enticing bait.

Image That must mean these guys are a step up from those butchers before, eh?

Image Stop acting like you're concerned. D.A.D. and I will handle the reception today.

Image Yes, yes. Thank you, great Yesod~

Image Stop that.

Image ...yeesh.

VIDEO
Music: StoryAlley

Image Our Office is officially designated by the Zwei Association as an affiliate, too. And the crime rate of territories secured by the Streetlight Office remains at a remarkable 0% as long as the contract is in effect!!!

Image And we’ll eventually get work if we wait.

Image Yeah, sure, you can keep waiting for the rest of your life. I’m seriously considering moving to another Office.

Image Never thought you’d have what it takes to work for a bigger Office.

Image Unlike you, I have several business connections I made from experience, do you understand? Your mother must be too busy being a legendary Fixer or whatever, while I have friends who can help me right away.

Image Yeah, some great Fixer you are~

Image Yeah yeah. Why thanks, I know I’m great~

Ruina has some great expression work in its CGs. That guy in the back is an entire mood. :allears:

Image …Fighting again, are you…

Image This S.O.B ate the cake without even asking me!!

Image The expiration date was yesterday, so I took care of it, that’s all.

Image Auuuuuuuuugh!!!!! It’s MY cake, and even if it’s expired, I’ll take care of it on MY own!!!

Image Anyway, boss, how about that work?

Image Don’t change the topic!!!

Image But… That was a limited edition cake…

Image I’m still rather skeptical about it, but I got this one from a friend of mine at the Association.

Image You mean that Associate Fixer working directly under the Zwei?

Image Yes, it’s her. The Hana Association has yet to consider this request as a subject that needs to be addressed officially.

Image Some stories of it. We overheard Rats talking about it.

Image Said the books in that place have tremendous value or whatever.

Image I see. I retrieved an invitation to that library from my friend I just mentioned.

Image But we might not get much payment from this request if it’s off the record.

Image And it won’t count towards our official career, either.

Image Such as it is… The Association is trying to remain cautious about it.

Image Are we really going to walk right into a place we know nothing about?

Image She did promise to see to it that we’re rewarded with pay comparable to an Urban Legend-class request if everything goes down well…

Image ……

Image ……

Image Let’s do this!

Image Guess we have no choice. It’s still too uncertain, but we need that money. We haven’t been too busy lately.

Image Thanks, everyone! We’ll get through like we always have.

Image They’re talking about associations of Fixers. It takes more than just setting up an Office to jump into the Fixer business. There are a total of twelve Fixer Associations across the City, each in charge of different types of work. Cases and requests are all sorted according to the type and sent to one of these associations.

Image Associations manage Offices and delegate work to them, I see.

Image That’s right. Sometimes, the Association might send documents to multiple Offices at once, or directly have Associate Fixers take care of the work. And among them, the Hana Association is in overall control of all Fixers. They grade Fixers and authorize Offices and stuff.

Image Do Offices have grades as well?

Image Essentially. The requests sent out by the Associations are graded, too.

Image They really love to grade things, don’t they.

Image It’s easier to know that way.

Image Know what?

Image How valuable I am as a person…

Image Everyone’s busy minding their own business, no one is going to lounge around having deep conversations about each other’s value. Knowing each other’s grades and affiliations, on the other hand, can save a ton of words. You can tell if you’re above or below the person you’re talking to right away.

Image Sounds like people stopped trying to learn or think about it at some point.

Image Bet you won’t say the same once you experience the city life for a bit. You have to interact with so many people out there, whether you want to or not. People have been looking for ways to adapt to the City, and this is just one of them.

Music: Entrance

Image Stop complaining, we should be glad to have work at all.

Image I know! Do you really have to point out the obvious?!

Image Now now, cool it down, guys. Can’t tell if you’re best friends or worst enemies.

Image Excuse me! Please don’t associate me with this goof!

Image I certainly don’t want that, either.

Image Alright, alright. Let’s have a feast at Juli’s restaurant once this is over. The tab’s on me.

Image Yeah!

Image Who are you?

Image Prepare yourselves.

Image There is no need to be so wary. Your ordeal has not started yet. I am Angela, the director and librarian of my role’s namesake.

Image Nice to meet you. I’m San from the Streetlight Office. We were brought here by the invitation. There’s something I’d like to ask about it.

Image What is it?

Image I actually retrieved this invitation from another person, not directly from you. Are we still eligible?

Image Yes, indeed. The invitation eventually reached you, dear guest, and you signed your name with your own will. Everything has worked as intended.

Image I see.

Image May you find your book in this place.

Image Did that look like a human to you? I mean, she did have the shape of a person, but something about her didn’t feel right… Though I can’t exactly put it to words…

Image She… probably is a machine.

Image Didn’t expect to see a machine that’s so similar to a human being…

Image Let’s focus on our work. Once again, you must back off as soon as you feel that you’re in danger.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Wait, was that always an option?!

Videos

Streetlight Office 1

Image Ah, there you are.
Image Man… I was just in the middle of a nap.

Image Ah, you can go back to sleep right after. Just wanted to check up on my dear coworkers before I run off to the mines again.

Image Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We can't die here without permission, you know?

Image Bishop mentioned something about that to me earlier. He said something interesting; that he'd-

Image Stop. Please. No.
Image Something wrong?

Image Bishop said something. That means it's going to be a whole thing, and nobody's going to have any idea what any of it means until the last minute where everything suddenly makes sense and he tries to make himself seem like he knew it all along.

Image Not a fan of mysteries, I take it?

Image Man, I just wanna have an easy life of doing the bare minimum to get by. Anything complicated can get booked.

Image Shelving it for later, eh?

Image ...fifty points.

Image Come on, it was worth at least seventy. :mmmhmm:
Image Forty-five, and if you keep this up I'll drop it again.

Image Fine, fine. Nice to see you again too, kiddo.

Image ...yeah. Good luck in the book mines. Those page ore veins can be feisty.

Here come the onion ninjas.

Book 9: Streetlight Office 1—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Yet again, there's no warmup set of enemies. Streetlight Office is just these three. Their pages aren't particularly remarkable right now, so let's take a closer look at their stats.

San and Lulu are unremarkable for where we're at right now, though Lulu is something of a Burn specialist. Mars, however, has one very important feature: he has no weaknesses, and a strength to Slash damage. Because of this, he's much tankier than his cohorts.

D.A.D. gets Pierre's page, and I set them up with a bunch of Blunt attacks. It's important to have at least one character on Yesod's floor primarily using Blunt attacks since Forsaken Murderer's pages reward it so heavily.

Music: YesodBattle01

Image So it's just the three of you.

Image This is something of an... exploratory mission.

Image Nothing personal, but we need to find out how your Library works.

Image That's a very questionable decision, kiddo.

Image Says you! Unfortunately, you're outnumbered!

As is so often the case lately, we have to just accept one guest getting one-sided attacks on our librarians for now.

This scene, that guest is San. His Silent Night page will only do two 1-3 damage strikes. This page also grants Endurance, which does for defensive dice what Strength does for offensive ones—they get 1 Power for each stack of Endurance a character has.

D.A.D. clashes with Mars's attack instead. That second die gives Paralysis, and our 3-4 is all but guaranteed to come out even at worst against it.

Yesod, meanwhile, uses E-endure on Lulu. It's really the best 1 cost we have right now by a huge margin, there's little reason not to spam it.

Image What are you guys, anyways? A monster? A human? Something else?

Image I'm D.A.D.
Image I see.

Image Hello, D.A.D. I'm San, and I'd prefer you didn't bully my Office.

Image Quick, aren't you?

Image Darn right! And you move like a geezer!

Image D.A.D, these people have gotten under my skin.

Image I'm feeling it too. Do you want to borrow its power?

Image You do it. I have no intention of owing an Abnormality anything.

Image Roger.

Image I'm a little amazed that someone as cold-hearted as that guy can get riled up at all.

Image Cold-hearted, huh? Is that how you see him?

Image ...yes? Obviously?

Image You should ask your partner about that sometime.

There's nothing we can do to stop D.A.D. from taking the brunt of these attacks. Luckily, none of them are particularly powerful.

We clash with Lulu, in order to stop the Burn from getting through.

Yesod takes a chance to get a cheap shot in on San, because his page doesn't have any defensive dice.

Image Are you sure you can afford to ignore me?

Image Khh—Yes.

Image Because the little missy's set her bat on fire.

Image Damnit, that was supposed to crack you right on the jaw!

Image Don't worry about it, Lulu. You left them open for Mars and I, that's enough.

Image Y'think so, kiddo?

Image I'm used to taking the hits to make the openings.

Image Well done, D.A.D.

Image Ugh..! Team, heads up! We can't afford to ignore either of them.

Image Image Right!

Image So… what's your take of the situation?

Image Things are still relatively even. If it was you and I, I'd recommend a combination attack to try and take one of them out quickly. Though that wouldn't be worth as many books, it'd keep our allies intact.

Image That's the wisdom of a Grade 7 Fixer, eh?

Image Not all of us can dance around the guests all day like you and Zaida can. It's best to end things quickly.

Image ...We'll give it a try. D.A.D!

Image I heard!

Image They're planning something… stay sharp.

Since San and Mars are both using Fleet Footsteps again, I opt to go all in on clearing San off the board, leading with a Commandeering from D.A.D.

Yesod follows up with a second attack, just to make sure.

Pop quiz: can you spot the misplay I've made here?

Image This… is bad.

Let's talk numbers. San had 17 HP, 7 Stagger Resist, and Bleed 2. His first die was Offensive, meaning his HP would be reduced to 15. Additionally, Commandeering's result had a 100% chance of hitting with at least a 4. San's Blunt resist is a Fatal in both categories, meaning at minimum he'd take 8 HP and 8 Stagger Resist. This attack could not possibly fail to Stagger him.

Further, even if we rolled minimum damage on both dice, he would have taken 8+6=14 damage, leaving him a 1 HP unit that's Staggered on his next turn. I just pointlessly wasted Yesod's entire turn. When something like this happens and a Librarian's target is defeated before they can attack, the page they played is returned to their hand and the Light cost is refunded. Effectively, it's like they didn't play anything for that attack. We still want this to happen as little as possible so we can make the most out of our actions.

Image This is… my limit.

Image You did what you could. Just accept it.

Image Yes…
Image Lulu! Mars! I'll leave it in your hands!

Image Did…

Image he…

Image just…
Image run?!

Image You can just… leave?!

Image There was never any stated rule against it.

Image Ma'am, we won't be able to farm the books we need if our dear guests run for their lives when they see they can't win, ma'am.

Image There's no need to worry. These red invitations will deliver the books we require to us without fail.

Image D.A.D! Don't let him esca—

Image Like I'll let you!

Image I'm pinned down, can you?!

Image Like hell you will!

Image Kh—it's a failure. The guest made a clean escape.

Music: GuestBattle02

Image Lulu, it's time to get serious. Don't hold me back, alright?

Image Like hell I would! How about you don't hold ME back!!!!

I line up two clashes and go for it. Streetlight Office can whip out some nasty pages, and Nonstop Assault in particular it's hard to have an answer for that isn't named Commandeering—even it will likely only win the first die.

Image Aaaaand ONE!!!

Image Now… I ain't exactly a Fixer, but I know a thing or two about fireworks. No reason in particular, I just like 'em.

Image What the hell does that matter?!

Image Well, you, you're definitely a firecracker.

Image And that just means once I weather the explosion, you're wide open, kiddo.

Image Owww..!

Image You okay over there, boss?

Image I'm… fine…

Image Sure you don't want to start running?

Yesod gets his face pushed in, because Nonstop Assault is a really strong page.

Image D.A.D.

Image Sir?

Image Show no mercy.

Image Roger that.

Image Hey, Lulu.
Image What is it?!

Image The purple haired one, I think I've got him on his last legs. If we team up, I think we can knock these two down a peg.

Image You're asking me for help?

Image Of course. I think we can take him out if we work together.

Image Fine. I guess I can help you out this once. But don't get used to it!

Image I won't. Promise.

This turn, I focus down Lulu's die. She's only playing the 0-cost 2-6, so I figure a pair of Rampages should be enough to take her out of the equation. Because our Speed Dice are higher, we'll both be able to resolve our attacks before Mars gets his hit in on Yesod.

I also decide to have D.A.D. do the clash here, since 1-7 has a better chance of blocking a 2-6 die than a 2-4 would. This is entirely because I forgot she was Paralyzed and the range we're looking at is a 2-3.

Predictably, I pay for my oversight. :rolldice:

Image Eat that!

Image I'd rather return it to the chef! Boss, she's open!

Image I'm following up.

Image This is too much, I've gotta pull back!

Image Sorry… but your luck's run out. My attack isn't finished just ye—

Image I think it's done for now, thanks.

Image Mars?!

Image Get out of here. I'll watch your back.

Image What about you?!

Image I've still got some fight left in me. Don't worry, I'll be right behind you.

Image You'd better! Don't do anything stupid, you moron!!

Image Yeah, yeah. Get out of here.

Image Your boss is out of the way. Everyone else is gone, too. It's just you and me now.

Image The ol' viper there will be fine in a couple seconds. Sure you're not gonna' try and run, too?

Image They got away because someone could cover for them. If I ran, it'd just be a paring knife going through my back, wouldn't it?

Image Don't be silly. Paring knives are for fruit. This here's a carving knife.

Music: YesodBattle02

Image I do appreciate that you're facing me down, instead of looking for a cheap shot.

Image If I take my eye off of you, then it's over. Truth be told, I'm not doing so hot… but I can't afford to stop. Not while the people I care about are behind me.

Image Giving up your life for the people you care about to run away, eh?

Image I don't intend to be a sacrifice.

Image I can accept those feelings, kid. But ultimately…

Image I don't want the boss to die, either… and we don't get to run.

Image Damnit… Lulu…

While the Streetlight Office is tough and some of their pages are powerful, our HP advantage still gives us a lot of wiggle room to play around with, and they ultimately waste too many actions to Gather Intel to be able to have a realistic chance of winning.

Music: Result

Image In the end, we only got books from one of them.

Image Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Angela said these invitations'd get us the books we needed, right?
Image You're correct. If there are any issues with what we've accomplished, they're the fault of her methodology.

VIDEO

Image It’s not a good idea for Fixers to form such tight bonds with each other.

Image Well, I guess this’ll be a lesson for them.

Image You talk as if you’re used to all this.

Image Oh, I’ve already grown past that phase, and some more too. Forming bonds aren’t bad per se, but there’s just too much risk associated with it. The real deal Fixers know when to cut things off.

Image You mean to keep enough distance from people, so that you won’t feel hurt from their losses?

Image Yep. It’s just ironic that people who aren’t even mentally prepared to face death are applying for a job that involves killing in the first place.

Image I see…

Image Well, if that will be all, ma'am~

Image You haven't been dismissed yet. A new floor has appeared.

Image Again? They just pop up one after the other, don't they?

Image It's because the work is proceeding smoothly. The newest floor's topic is Literature.

Image Got it, got it. I'll get moving, ma'am~

VIDEO
Music: HodStory

Image Hey. I’m Roland, helper of Angela in several ways.

Image …I see.
Image Don’t tell me, do you also happen to hold some sort of grudge against Angela?

Image …I’m not at all friendly toward her, that’s for certain. But we made a deal with her, so we’re obliged to help her without complaint.

Image Oh boy, future ain’t looking too bright. Everyone’s got a problem with Angela. What the heck did she do to deserve this reputation?

Image I still don’t know a whole lot about this place, but I can see one thing: Something’s terribly messed up with the Library and its staff. Can all of this even be resolved at some point?

Image I can’t answer that for sure, but you’ll get to see the result. After all, there is a clear end to this deal. If you follow Angela along her journey to the end, you will find out.

Image I have guests to receive, and librarians to take care of… Can’t we all be good friends in the Library, at least?

Image ……

Image Among the books you bring, I will be sorting those about the literature of the City. As we collect more books, you might be able to find answers to your questions, whether you like it or not.

Image Gahhhh!!

Image Alright, fine. I’m gonna dig into the bottom of this mystery now that I’ve gotten into this mess!

Image Good luck, Mister Roland.

Image Why, thanks for your supportive words, Miss Hod~

With that, Hod's finally awake again—and we have more work to do.

Not a lot of work, but… more work. Anyways, while I normally don't talk about books, Mars's book is a bit special.

It's actually the first book that can drop an Objet d'Art rarity page, this one being his Key Page. We want this very badly, so I burn all four of the books we have on getting it. Because there are 33 items exactly and we get 32 rolls, we should pick it up without trouble.

Hod's book burning color, by the way.

Oh for fuck's sake. :rolldice: Objet Key Page drop rates are fairly low, and this can mean lots of situations like this one—even after multiple patches to boost their drop rate, this still happens often enough that there's an achievement that references it.

Not pictured: me redoing the reception to pick up the Key Page. :negative: We'll talk about why it's so good when we use it, but as a general rule we want to grab any Key Page that's an Objet d'Art.

Image Drama. Also cake.

Videos

Streetlight Office 2
Hod 1

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

I have some words about Mars' page, I'll save it for once we get to see it in action, but Speed is a gamechanger.

I've been a lurker on this letsplay for a while and decided to finally pop in to say hello, since I didn't get to for the first thread. Going to save specifics for when we see it in action, but Mars' page is pretty good, and it also looks good, which is equally important in my opinion

Yesod's combat themes are amazing.

I also appreciate that D.A.D. gets to close the battle with a dad joke in the official script, not just the LP narrative.

Lastly, there's an irony in Roland citing Angela's "disdain for roundabout speech". From what Hod is saying, I'm 90% certain the roundabout speech is Angela's fault, an NDA in the terms of the agreement.

Hod: "I'd like to tell you why Angela's terrible, but I can't, and it won't help you anyway. At least you've already noticed that three out of three of us you've met so far hate her!"
Angela: "My plans are perfect. How dare you suggest I would allow myself to be irritated by my own agreement."

I'm so thrilled you're LPing this, TeeQueue! I'm smiling as I read about the old gang getting back together again. The game's plot would be fascinating on its own, but your writing adds a whole new level to it, something I would really miss playing on my own.

The music is compelling and great - I love the return of the First Trumpet.

Book 10: Streetlight Office 2—Chapter 1

Image So it's the Book of Mars this time?

Image That's correct.
Image Ahh, I can already guess where this is going, and I'm not exactly a fan…

Image Stories like this are all too common, I'm afraid…

Image It's not our problem. What's important is that we handle our business like always.

Image I just hope they don't run away this time…

Image They won't.

VIDEO
Music: StoryChaboon

Image We are taking our hands off of the Library from now on. This was out of our scope to begin with. I already sent a report to the Zwei.
Image What? What about Mars? Was his death pointless then?!

Image I really am sorry… You can blame me all you want. I misjudged. Our profession is peacekeeping, not exploration or combat.
Image There’s a cake in the fridge… Was that you, boss?

Image Cake? No, I didn’t buy any cake yet…

Image …I’ll go outside for a bit.

Music: Rain Ambiance (it might not be this exact one but it's close)

Image It’s not like you at all to buy cakes for others… You said your mother’s an amazing Fixer… You loved to show off your stupidly huge sword, saying it’s a gift from her… You bragged so much that you’d be just like your mother someday…

There's a sound here that's like a piece of paper getting picked up.

Image Mars’ book… That’s what happens to the people who die in there…?

Image I won’t let them toy with him… I’ll never let them…

Image San’ll totally try to stop me if I bring this up… I’ll go there on my own. I’ve got friends to help me, too…

Image That’s funny, coming from the one who gave a speech on how Fixers shouldn’t cling to bonds.

Image That’s that, and this is this. Still, reacting to every bit of loss is a waste of energy. Everybody lives with burdens to bear. I have my share of unfortunate events, and so do others. And it’s rude to expose that without the listener’s agreement. They’ll be bothered to learn something they didn’t really have to know.

Image Don’t overexpress your feelings whether you’re happy or sad, and say goodbye to each other with the appropriate words. It’s all for the sake of each other.

Image That sounds even more tiring to me.

Image And I shouldn’t let my feelings distract me from my librarian work, most of all. I gotta stay level-headed and help you collect books about the City.

Image You’re right. As soon as you become useless to me, I’ll dispose of you.

Image Then I’ll go back to my duties of being a useful servant for the sake of my survival, ma’am.

There's a clang here, like back in Hook Office. Lulu isn't screwing around.

Image Shut up. I don’t need a greeting from a despicable piece of junk. I’m here for Mars’ book. I’ll get his book, kill all the monsters here, and blow your head clean off.

Image I’m afraid your third statement is going to be difficult for you to fulfill, dear guest.

Image I said shut up.

Image Sigh… May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Lulu and Mars, reunited.

Videos

Streetlight Office 3

Image You saw the information, right? Oof.

Image Yeah, we all do. Can't say I'm particularly surprised that our next guest is her of all people.
Image Are you gonna' be able to do this..?

Image It's gonna' take more than some sob story to slow me down, kiddo.

Image Ehh… I just can't put my all into it if it's like this.

Image Hopeless romantic, right. Gotcha.
Image I keep telling people, it's not like that!

Image Isn't it, though? :rolleyes:

Image It isn't!

Image Sure, sure. Well, you have yourself a good time watching, kiddo. Ol' Viper and I have to make up for last time.

Image Hey—you never answered my question!

Image Then I guess you have more reason to tune in, huh. Enjoy the show~

Image Geez… How do they manage to stay so detached all the time?

Kacie wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:15 am
I'm so thrilled you're LPing this, TeeQueue! I'm smiling as I read about the old gang getting back together again. The game's plot would be fascinating on its own, but your writing adds a whole new level to it, something I would really miss playing on my own.

The music is compelling and great - I love the return of the First Trumpet.
The FT remix absolutely slaps, yes. Anyways, welcome back! I look forward to doing my best with this game. It's already been a vastly different experience than writing LC and I'm... really enjoying it? It's hard to put into words. (says the guy putting everything into words :psyduck: )
vulpixall wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:55 pm
I've been a lurker on this letsplay for a while and decided to finally pop in to say hello, since I didn't get to for the first thread. Going to save specifics for when we see it in action, but Mars' page is pretty good, and it also looks good, which is equally important in my opinion
It does both look and perform very good. I'll have more words for it next time, but it's insanely useful at this point in the game.

Book 10: Streetlight Office 2—Chapter 2

Lulu's back, and this time she's brought her friends.

While they all have different looks to them, they're all basically the same keypage—a couple of weaknesses differ, but they're too squishy for that to matter much. Their passive also changes, being either a 50% chance to add +1 Damage to Slash or Piercing dice. Ultimately, they're a warmup.

Yesod's playing the same thing as always. Mo's page still works just fine for our purposes.

D.A.D, meanwhile, gives the time honored tradition of wearing our defeated opponent's skin to fight their friends a try. Mars's page has amazing HP and resistances, making D.A.D. a capable beatstick. His deck is a mostly offensive affair, though I'm running 3 E-endure because it's still the best 1-cost page in the game at this level. His Speed passive theoretically requires some consideration, but ultimately I have decided not to think about it too hard. :v:

Music: YesodBattle01

Image Seems like our honored guest isn't here yet.

Image We'll clear these ones out quickly, and move on to the main event. Remember: No one leaves this time.

Image It seems like their leader isn't here to tell them to fall back. Shouldn't be an issue.

That second die over D.A.D. is because of their new speed passive. This effectively gives us +1 actions per turn, which will help us keep up with battles against multiple opponents. There are also a few other uses for it, a few of which will come up today.

I just stick to a couple of normal clashes on the first scene, though.

Image This new body's really light. I think I could do some nice tricks with it.

Image One of his footnotes did state that he was originally a Grade 7 Fixer.

Image Huuh, so this is what it's like being Bishop all the time, eh?

Image I wasn't a combat-oriented Fixer. It's pointless to compare us.

Image Oh, but I'm sure you could win if you had to. You're from the Floor of History, after all!

Image Hey now, don't go underestimating us, kiddo. Why, back in my prime...

Image Quiet, all of you. Squabble about power levels after we're done with the reception.

Image Ah—yessir.

Our very successful first round gives us an Emotion Level, and I slap it on D.A.D. His Wallops will now be carrying an extra... punch. :v:

The one guest who can act goes for a fairly interesting page called Multi-hit.

Multi-hit theoretically does its best work in a clash, but only if it wins. Should it consistently win, it's a 1-6, 1-5, 1-5—but those numbers don't lend themselves to reliably winning the clashes needed to make the page work. In practice, it's best for one-sided attacks due to its two Blunt dice working well with Metallic Ringing while also giving us +2 Emotion Coins.

I clash it with E-endure, which should land at least once and let us Stagger our guest.

And after they're Staggered, Rampage should finish them off. Early in the game, extra Speed Dice are best used to press an advantage to score either a Stagger or a defeat on one of our guests that we wouldn't be able to land otherwise.

Image Got mine off balance. How's it coming over there, boss?

Image Just finished up.

Image Same here.

The additional action is enough to successfully clean up the last guest, just as planned.

Now it's time for the main event. Her two adds are identical to the pair from round 1, but Lulu…

Lulu means business this time. Her two new passives shouldn't cause too much trouble, but occasionally she'll deal more damage or swing a bit higher than she otherwise should and that can throw things off.

Image Come on then! I'll take you all… what the FUCK?!
Image Problem, kiddo?
Image You murder him, you advertise him as some… some book right in front of me, and now you're wearing him! You're fucking—that's—that's IT!!! Mars wasn't some fucking suit you can just put on and take off!!!!

Image Perhaps he wasn't before. That's changed.
Image I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU ALL!!!!

Image Geez… wasn't that a little much?

Image Our duty is to heighten their emotions. The means are up to us.
Image Maybe so, but...

Image If you intend to complain, stow it.

D.A.D's new speed lets us keep up with the enemy team here. I'm relying on a Stagger with Commandeering to keep their Light up, since we're spending 4 of our 5 Light this turn; without a means of Light recovery 2 Speed Dice can burn through our resources.

Image Don't worry about the small fry; I've got them. How're things with you?

Image YOU STUPID!

Image HEARTLESS!

Image SNAKE OF A BASTARD!!

Image ...They're… going.

Image I got one off-balance, at least!

Image She's strong. My combat setup is a bad match for her.

Image You could always do the nuclear option.

Image ...You're right.

Image Regardless of personal feelings, I'll do the job.

Image You always were the bigger man, huh?

Image Not always… but I've learned.

Violence goes on Yesod here because, frankly, his deck is kind of a mess designed to beat Forsaken Murderer and I should have updated it at literally any point before now. It'll do, but I want him to get the extra punch to try and keep up if I need him to face off with Lulu again.

Lulu's Set Ablaze has very few reliable answers outside of 3-costs, and we don't have the Light to get away with that right now. I opt to try my luck at the Wallop casino.

And of course, I get a cheap shot in on the Staggered guest.

Image You! How are you moving like that?! Mars was never that fast!

Image Guess the guy had some hidden talent that's come to light.

Image Shut up! No one asked you!!
Image You literally just-
Image SHUT UP!!! Don't talk to me while you're wearing his body, you disgusting monster!

Image Ahh… I see. You're drowning in sorrow.

Image This isn't sorrow, it's rage!!

Image We can't keep this up forever… I have to make a breakthrough.

Image This feels far closer than I would prefer.

Image Well, anger can be a powerful weapon. It can spur people to do some crazy things.

Image Is that why you prefer to remain so detached?

Image You got it~

Here, we run into the problem with Speed Key Pages in the early game. Both Lulu and her friend are targeting D.A.D. here.

Unfortunately for them, our previous multi-attacks have left our hand drained down to just 2 pages. Of them, Rampage is a dead page (due to having only 2 Light), so E-endure is our only option. Key Pages with 2 dice run out of resources much faster than others, and as a result it's important to time when we do make two moves at once.

Thankfully, we can finish off Lulu's Friend here for sure—E-endure will deal a minimum of 2 damage, and they've got Bleed 1 and an Offensive die. Scoring the defeat will give D.A.D. back an extra Light, letting them use Rampage next turn if need be.

Like most plans with a 100% chance of success, this works.

Image One down… finally.

Image Them too. They're another friend I'm going to make you pay for!

Image Boss, little help..?

Image I don't recall having any employees who'd die that easily. Deal with it.

Yesod, meanwhile, handles the remaining friend. They're not down yet due to some terrible rolls on his part, but with 4 HP and 2 Bleed it shouldn't take long for them to get booked either way.

On the next round, the remaining Friend uses their 3-cost page Strong Strike. Since they have 2 Bleed on them, they'll get booked after their second attack no matter what happens, so I opt to have Yesod E-endure it to mitigate the damage as much as possible.

As for Lulu, her Eat My Flaming Bat! page is weak offensively, but is a better 1-cost page than even E-endure thanks to its 4-8 Evade die and high Block die to lead off with. Nothing D.A.D. has in their hand can match it right now, so I opt to have them do nothing and just eat the 3-4 damage.

Image Two down.

Image What's the matter?! Aren't you gonna' move?

Image ...nah. I'm taking a breather. Go nuts, kiddo.
Image You think this is funny?!!

Image I don't need them! I don't need anyone!! I'll kill every one of you myself, if I have to!!!

Image ...It's time.

Image Huh?! What are you talking about?! What time?!

Image Time to bring this farce to an end.
Image Farce..? What's that supposed to mean?

Image It means you've lost. Don't think you'll be able to run this time.

Image Like I'd have to!

Both of D.A.D's Speed Dice placed higher than Lulu's. This means either one can redirect her offensive die.

So first I set up with Rampage from D.A.D's leftmost die.

And then E-endure with his other. This will direct Lulu's clash to the second die, letting Rampage get a onesided attack in. While playing them in this order ensures we get the result we want, there's another way to control this.

By clicking on Lulu's die, we can then either press the tab key or click on the symbol that appears to manually swap between all her available clash options. This functionality was not added until very late in the development cycle, and I never want to go back—it saves so much time resetting pages.

Image For what it's worth, I understand your pain.
Image Like hell you ever could!

Image The pain of losing someone dear to you… who hasn't felt it at some point? What matters is what happens when you feel that pain.

Image Eat this, you bodystealing bastard—
Image Wait… a feint?!

Since D.A.D's Speed Dice are processed from left-to-right, they're able to get off a one-sided Rampage before Lulu's able to act at all. :getin:

It's enough to stagger her by itself.

This, in turn, makes E-endure a one-sided attack.

Image You gave in to your pain, and forsook your rationality.

Image This is the only way things could have ended.

In the end, while Lulu herself has some good pages her help is easily overwhelmed. This leaves her easy to gang up on, and she can't deal with multiple foes at the same time.

Image We've acquired a large number of books this time.

Image That should definitely make up for the last reception, huh?

Image This isn't a race. Just handle the work that's given to you… and clean up when you're done.

VIDEO

Image I’d be lying if I said I feel nothing, but…

Image I’ve already seen plenty of these cheap tragedies. Been the victim myself a whole lot of times, too.

Image You sound like a seasoned veteran for someone who introduced himself as a “washed-up Fixer”.

Image I have my reasons. What, are you curious?

Image You said it’s a rude thing to do, didn’t you?

Image Whoa now, let’s not go there yet…

Image Well, how about you? I’m curious to know what our head librarian thinks.

Image Me? Indifferent. I’ve also seen relationships and scripted deaths too many times, in repeat. So I’ve been trying to run a system where people are free to choose their own destiny this time around, free from any coercion.

Image I mean, sure, they all read the warnings on the invitations and agree to those terms by signing their names, but…

Image It’s still a bit dirty, y’know. You’re unkillable, and I can revive whenever I die.

Image Again with that. I thought you said my method is fair?

Image Yeah, yeah. You aren’t wrong. Much more polite and fair than most things in the City.

For getting the Book of Lulu, we unlock Hod's first Abnormality Battle. Now, some of you are probably wondering if that means it's time for another poll…

However, we don't get access to the next reception until we've finished leveling our Library to 8. This is the game's way of making sure we don't somehow manage to get too far into the game without at least having a bare minimum of power.

Image I suppose this means it's my turn, doesn't it?

Image I would not worry too much. Both of your colleagues were untouched by their opponents.
Image So if I get hit at all, I'll be underperforming…

Image That wasn't the point. Even my servant managed to succeed eventually, if only just.

Image I can't help but feel like I had it tougher than the others, ma'am…

Image Well… I'll give it my best. That's all I can do.

Image Good.

Image "It's a good day! Are you still shy today?"

Videos

Streetlight Office 4

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Ah, we did see some of the problems with Speed, namely that you draw one page per turn. so in drawn out fights you'll flush your hand pretty quickly. also adding in extra actions gives the light system some teeth to be relevant even in shorter fights, it's good. Speed adds some real complexity to the mechanics and has some issues that don't have any good solutions (yet)

Appendix 6: Streetlight Office

While there are technically 4 "Lulu's Friend" pages, only 2 of them have unique dialogue. Page 2 and 4's dialogue are copies of 1 and 3, respectively, and will not be included here. They're also not obtainable through regular gameplay.
Mars’ Page wrote:My mother was a Fixer with a high grade that every one of my peers would dream of reaching. She was the envy of all, a radiant individual who received endless supplies of various expensive equipment and garnered constant recruit offers from other Offices. Does that mean I had a safe, comfortable childhood under the care and wealth of such a wonderful person? Had that been the case, I would’ve earned a position in one of the Wings already. Being the son of a high-rank Fixer, I was often targeted by Syndicates opposing her, and my mother’s acquaintances held high expectations for me.

At first, I was okay with their expectations. I was already dreaming to follow the path of my mother. In fact, I was hoping to live up to it and hear compliments such as “I knew you could make it!” from others. “Yes. I’m going to become a great Fixer just like my mother. Then she’ll be proud of me one day, right? She’ll proudly say ‘That's my boy’, in front of others.” I studied hard day after day, taking no breaks in-between… Countless times, I held my sword with a strong resolve, and many days I spent weeping alone. Even if I faced setbacks and failures, I believed I could overcome them and stand strong like the protagonist of a movie. As if I could actually be someone great.

But in the end, I grew into an ordinary aspiring Fixer, and I learned that I was only an average person with no talent to show off. When I entered an ordinary Office with my ordinary capabilities, my mother seemed very glad to hear the news. She said an associate Office of the Zwei is a good start, and that I’ll certainly be able to become successful if I work my way up slowly. However, I was greatly disappointed in myself, and I couldn’t look my mother in the eyes until I said my final goodbyes and left the house.
Lulu’s Page wrote: Ugh, crap… Another day without work! Fantastic. There’s got to be some case for us to take care of, like fly tipping or something? I’m gonna forget how to move at this rate… If I told my friends about this, they’re so gonna whine like “Well, isn’t it a good thing that you have a lot of free time~” or “You’re well off, we’re about to starve from the lack of requests~”. Those dummies… Think about it for a moment. You need results to promote to better Fixer grades and see some growth in your Office, right? And that’s gonna lead to higher income for us. For now, I’m working with my boss San and some dork shaped like a ball of rice cake… But things could be better than this in the future, yeah? …It’s not like I have problems with my coworkers!!! I’m talking about stuff like weapons, and Office interior… You know, those kinda things. You get what I mean!

I do bicker with Mars and snap at him often, yes! But that doesn’t mean I hate him. San and Mars are both precious colleagues to me. Though, yeah, I know what you’re about to say. If Fixers develop private feelings for each other, it could be much harder to bear whatever happens down the line. I know what I’m doing is stupid. I have wits, unlike mister rice cake face.

But we’re humans, it’s just… something that can’t be helped. How could we just strictly detach ourselves from one another and focus on work? I tried acting nonchalant, I did, but… I guess I can’t do it. San said he feels the same. I gotta envy Mars for being cool-headed all the time.
Lulu’s Friend, Page 1 wrote: A peacekeeping Office provides protection for requested territories for a certain period of time. Lulu’s is one of those Offices. What are they protecting against, you ask? The City, obviously. What I’m saying is, their job is to keep the area safe from all sorts of happenings and incidents that occur in the City. Of course, there won’t be much to do if the area is too small or peaceful.

But, man. Compared to us who have to wait indefinitely for someone to make a request… Lulu’s living a good life. At least she does something. And they don’t have to worry about starving to death even if they don’t get requests.
Lulu’s Friend, Page 3 wrote: As her friend, it’s unfortunate that Lulu is struck with grief. I don’t have any tears to shed for her, though. I’ve got my share of rough experiences, I’m just not sharing it with others. Well, I did say I’ll help her out, but the truth is… My Office figured that we could find plenty of valuable loot in the Library. And that’s pretty tempting. The other one is probably thinking the same thing as me. I mean, what dummy would actually head to such a dangerous place motivated purely by a friend’s sob story? That kind of intimate and deep relationship is long gone from this world. Especially in this business.

That’s why I can’t understand Lulu. Sure, let’s say that her colleague died there. Even then, she should be valuing her own life, shouldn’t she? She can be so stupid at times… Welp, I have to go in with her anyway.

Literature—304.92—Today's Shy Look

I go with Mars here for the extra defenses, but ultimately the Key Page we use for this fight doesn't matter at all.

Image Hey… isn't that what that D.A.D. fellow was just wearing?

Image We don't have any proper protocols set up yet about how to approach these situations, so I'm using something that's worked.

Image You read the notes about how combat functions here, I assume.
Image Ah… yes, well...

Image Don't worry about it if there's something you didn't totally understand. Once the battle starts, it all makes sense somehow.

Image Just… if it's not too much trouble, could you please not come out completely unscathed? It's starting to really get to my confidence, here~

Image I'll… see what I can do.

Image That's enough, you four. It's time.

Image Yes. I'm ready when you are.

Image Good. Handle it.

SNAP

Our dear friend Today's Shy Look is split in two today, but first off we'll focus on the one we'll be fighting. Today's Shy Look's quotes are based on its mood.
Today's Shy Look wrote: When ecstatic
Image I feel great, bathing in the warm n’ cozy sunshine.

Image Why don’t you put a big smile on your face, like mine?

When smiling
Image I’m just shy, that’s all. Just shy…

Image Do I look a bit better now? I hope I do…

When neutral
Image Some days, you just don’t have any energy.

Image I don’t feel like talking right now. Could you come back later?

When sad
Image Please don’t look at what’s behind this. It’s the least you can do…

Image Why is it that a sad look doesn’t fit the City…

When angry
Image What the fuck do you want from me? To keep smiling like an idiot?!

Image I told you to read the damn mood, you piece of shit!!!

Once we hit space and the round begins, the figure behind the faces in the back begins to move—as it does, Today's Shy Look's face will change to match its position. This is important because of its passive.

Expression tells us that the Power of its dice will depend upon its mood, but what this means requires a bit of explanation. For that, let's take a closer look at its page.

Shyness is one of the two pages that Today's Shy Look can use, and its first die's range is based entirely on the face that the figure in the back lands on.

From left to right, the faces will make the first die get the following results:
2-9
9-16

The face is locked in when we begin the clash part of the turn, so our strategy is actually very simple.

We clash it with any page we like (here I use the 4 die to redirect in order to get the extra +1 Stagger from Mars's passive) and wait for the figure to be on the far left.

Image Um… Alright, now!

The moment this happens, we want to press space to start the turn. Waiting too long to react may let it move somewhere else, so good reflexes are key.

This was just poor luck, but most importantly we didn't take Stagger damage.

Image Oh that is… I suddenly miss having no nose.

Image But... I can't let this stop me!

That's basically all there is to this fight. TSL's only other page, Today's Expression, works the same way as Shyness. It's worth noting that Paralysis won't help us here, since 2-16 gets lowered to 2-13 and if we're playing well it should never get above a 2 regardless.

Here, I opt to target Today's Shy Look using a die that it isn't targeting. This leads to one of my favorite things in the entire game.

Image That... hurts..! But I let you hit me.

Image So that I could do this.

A double one-sided attack between two people. :allears: I figured the 2 damage was worth ensuring that I wouldn't see a tie with Rampage's first die.

We've really shown off all there is to Today's Shy Look at this point. From here it's all about timing our attacks to hit when it's on its smiling face. Eventually…

Image Ah… this must be an opening.

Image Please rest, little one. I promise I won't hurt your companion.

Today's Shy Look: it's simple as long as we can time it right, and a pain in the ass otherwise. There's nothing else to be said about it.

VIDEO
Music: HodStory

Image Thanks, Mister Roland.

Image No need to be so courteous. You can drop the “Mister” and just call me Roland.

Image Can I? Roland.

Image Much better.

Image It feels kinda awkward to speak like this right away.

Image You’ll get used to it. How’s the collection going, by the way?

Image I’m not sure if the City has anything worth being called literature.

Image It seems like each person’s life counts as a work of literature. The story of one’s life is written out like a book of its own. And in that story, comedy and tragedy intertwine in a complex way. It’s hard to define anyone as pure evil, or pure good for that matter.

Image Everyone has their own personal affairs.

Image That’s why I’m wondering if it’s really okay to blindly hate someone…

Image I understand that it was their choice to come here… And we have our own goal to achieve, but still…

Image Haha, it feels like I’m just making excuses for myself.

Image You see, Hod, taking everyone’s personal affairs into consideration is only going to end up giving you a headache. You’d sometimes be just as confused as if you hadn’t thought about it at all. Thinking about moral standards and fundamental causes and all that only makes everything blurry. All the while your heart is about to burst from the emotional baggage that won’t go away. In times like that, you just go straight to where your heart leads. No need to learn or know any further. It’s much easier that way…

Image That’s your advice as a seasoned Fixer, Roland?

Image I guess so! Here’s a favorite phrase of mine.

Image We don’t live in a world that can embrace everyone’s private matters.

Image Sounds like you’ve come to terms with reality.

Image Did ages ago! It surely was an easy and comfy way to live, all things considered. Just go with the flow, wherever it may lead.

Image Thanks for the advice. I might need to think about this topic a little more.
Image But…
Image But?

Image ……

Image …Well, I suppose people have their own ways of interpreting things. I’ll leave the books here. See ya later, then.

Literature has leveled up! Let's take a look at our new Abnormality Pages.

Of these three pages, the real standout is Look of the Day—this Page gives us +2 Power to every die we play with one Librarian for the rest of the reception as long as we're willing to be patient and wait for an angry face. This is, full stop, one of the most powerful level 1 Abnormality Pages in the entire game. If we can pick it, we want it. If we mess up our timing, that can fall as far as -2 Power (in case of a smiling face)—but just don't miss the timing and everything's fine!

Social Distancing gives +1-2 Power and some bonus Stagger damage on Block dice, making E-endure and Commandeering even better than they already are—and yes, it stacks with Look of the Day. :getin:

Lastly there's Shyness. While we can't use it yet, once we get access to it it's… Also good. :geno: It only grants Power to Block dice, though it will use Evade dice to determine how much Power they get. +2 Power to most of E-endure is very good, but generally speaking by the time we hit the Level 2 pages we want either healing and sustain or outright gamebreaker abilities that let us get away with silly things. It's not bad, it's just not as immediately useful as Level 1 pages and pales in comparison to some of the things we'll get by the time we can actually select it.

And the next set of requirements. I'll be trying to knock the first one out in our next real Reception, though the others are locked to us for now.

Image Ah, so it's smoke time again, I see.

Image Yes. We're looking forward to greeting our new partner.

Image You can leave it to me to get them up to speed in a hurry.

Image Shouldn't that be my responsibility?

Image That's so old-fashioned. Now, we're the floor of History—you can leave the history of this place to us, too.

Image If you insist… I suppose I'll thank you.

Image No problem! I'm just doing what I can.

Image The process is complete. Your new subordinate is—
Image ANGELA!!!

Image Who the hell do you think you are, you buggy bag of bolts?! Where do you get off just screwing everyone over at the last minute like that?!

Image Oh, it's this again..? So then she'll...

Image Not say anything?
Image I've got half a mind to follow protocol and tear you in half myself! Do you have any idea the hell we went through because of you?! And after something good finally seemed to be happening?!
Image Um, Medea… we aren't in that place anymore, so the protocol's changed…

Image That doesn't matter right now! Someone needs to give her a piece of their mind! Miss Hod—

Image I've grown quite tired of repeating myself, but as most of you were not awake… let me say this once more:

Image I see no reason to pay attention to the words of the assistants. They are, ultimately, beneath my notice. They may cry and scream as much as they like—after so long committing their every pointless word to memory I shall give them no heed.

Image However, you Librarians all agreed to this deal of your own accord. Anyone who has a problem with it should take it up with you lot. I've done nothing wrong.

SNAP

Image She just… left, like last time. Well, I guess it's fine!

Image Hardly. Miss Hod, what's she talking about?

Image That's a… bit of a story.

Image Come on, we'll catch you up.

Image Fine… but I expect a thorough report.

Image Phew… I guess we made it out of that just fine.
Image Ah, I just remembered. I need to talk to her. At this rate, we can't be much more than a stone's throw away from…

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Urban Legend.

Videos

Hod 2

Book 10.5: Urban Myth General Receptions

Music: Dungeon - Wrong Way Street
Image Case files, audio log… :sigh: Ah, right. Lost all the old ones.

Image Log 1 it is, then. With no information found yet regarding the disappearance of my father, I asked Malkuth if she wanted to help me dig for information in some… less than authorized locales.
Image Sure! I don't mind, as long as you're coming with me.
Image Needless to say, she agreed—and the two of us decided to take a look at some of the invitations that weren't red. Thankfully, the process went smoothly. It seems Angela has no interest in them—they're completely unrelated to her progress, after all.
Image Ma'am, someone seems to be messing around with something on your desk.

Image As I've stated, the actions of those underlings are beneath my notice. They can't do anything to harm this place.
Image Yes, well… if you insist, ma'am~

Image I observed that the invitations allowed up to three books. As means of testing the invitations, Malkuth and I tried to use a single copy of any book that didn't cause a known red invitation. The color didn't change—a good sign.

Image Unfortunately, all we met were these Backstreets Butchers. I have no idea why they were so interested in this place.

Image Ultimately, they were threatening the Boss, so they had to go.

Image Truth be told, Pierre and Jack put up a better fight than them.

Image The books they dropped were mostly about District 23, the street of flavor.
Image You know… I've always been curious about the food there. They say it really is that good.
Image Malkuth seemed unusually interested in them, but there was ultimately no useful information to be had. I moved on.

Image Since one book led to a weak group of opponents, perhaps two would lead to something more promising?

Image ...Hardly. It turned out that the Hook Office, which Malkuth and I all but wiped out earlier, had a few remnants around trying to settle the score. Or, more likely, they were trying to get our books to sell so they could scrape together the money to keep afloat for another few weeks.

Image From the sound of it, they hadn't heard the circumstances behind the disappearances of Taein and the others.

Image We took the liberty of enlightening them.

Image Their books provided us with new information, but its usefulness is…
A Hook Office Fixer, Page 2 wrote: Backstreets are spread all over the City, and the Nests are no exception. But all this means is that “there are Backstreets in the Nests”, since the Nests are completely segregated from the Backstreets in terms of access. Each Wing employs their own methods like electric fences or plasma walls, and some just fence the boundary with a couple of loose chains. Needless to say, the Backstreet residents don’t even think about crossing the border, regardless of how insecure it looks.

If I had to point out one thing the Backstreets and the Nest have in common… It’d be that residents of the Nests can get a good view of the Backstreets, and vice versa. Hey, did you hear that? Watching the Backstreet’s apparently a trend among Nest dwellers these days. After a day’s work, they sit by the windows and look out on the streets, cracking open a can of beer… Chat with their friends about what they witnessed last evening. Hell, there’s even a club dedicated to that, apparently. Isn’t that absurd? People in the Backstreets live from day to day with their lives on the line, and their struggle is nothing more than entertainment to those who live inside the Nest.
Image Anyone on the Backstreets could tell me this stuff. Ultimately, it was another dead end. :sigh:
Image So… we're going to try three books at once now, right? That's the logical next step!
Image While I was starting to feel sure we wouldn't find anything of note, Malkuth's boundless optimism kept me going.

Image As she suggested, we tried three different books. For some reason, it's not possible to use two of the same book even if we have them—there's little reason to keep more than one of each. Once we realized that, we burned a lot of books for their intel.

Image For our trouble, we ran into a brand new Syndicate—a duo of Butchers had joined forces with one of the Hook Fixers in order to try and procure fresh ingredients to sell. Ultimately, the three of them were just an Urban Myth-class group, though.

Image We've been taking out Urban Myth-class threats since as long as I've been awake. Longer, if Zaida's to be believed.

Image Their books were the same as the ones received in the past two receptions, but the Library manifested new hoods for us to wear if we felt like it. Possibly in honor of our hard work? There's no way to know at present.

Image Ultimately, there were no breakthroughs made. I knew it was a longshot, and Malkuth and I got to bond over handling people the Backstreets are better off without, so it wasn't a total loss…

Image Bishop! Hod's just finished her fight with an Abnormality.

Image Another compatriot, right?

Image You've got it. I almost can't wait.

Image Alright, I'll be right there. That's all for now. This is Bishop, signing off.

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ah General Invitations, kinda funny how worthless the earliest ones are given that the later ones are extremely useful.

Book 11: Prologue

VIDEO

Google tells me this quote is another one from poet Yun Dong-ju, from a poem called "A Single Candle."

The location listed here is "Thumb Southern Base - Meeting Room," by the by.

Image It’s hard for me to predict the outcome of this event, underboss. It has been a while since we were involved in a bloodshed of this scale. However, it is certain that we should not allow the Index to take over the yolk.

Image Well said. The Middle, the Ring, and the Pinky seem to be too occupied with their own business to take part in this strife, so that’s a relief.

Image Have you heard of ‘The Library’, a recently appointed Urban Legend? Perhaps it will be closely related to this Nest we’re so concerned with.

Image Go on.

Image What wave?

Image At this rate, the Library will soon be exalted to being an Urban Legend from its status as an Urban Myth. The City is brimming with cheap Urban Myths. It’s really hard to tell which are real and which are all made up. What’s more, a lot of those Urban Myths turn out to be pretty plain and boring when you get down to the root of it all. The real fun begins when an Urban Myth gets recognized as an Urban Legend.

Image You’re being too roundabout. If the Associations designate us with a higher grade, we can expect to attract guests of higher classes with more valuable information, is that what you’re trying to say?

Image You got it! Urban Legends get talked about; people will begin to acknowledge us as an actual phenomenon in the City that’s worth their attention. You see, when I was a kid, my grandma used to tell me tales about all sorts of Urban Legends. They would always send a chill down my spine.
Image Ah, bugger. Didn’t want to be reminded of the old days.

Image Yeah, a family. I lost them all, though.

Image So you’re without a family now?

Image No one’s with me anymore. I was raised by my grandma. Dunno how my parents passed away, n’ grandma disappeared without notice one day. And then… Nevermind. It’s nothing special.

Image What were you even trying to say?

Image That’s right. I want the freedom to leave this place, and the freedom to live as myself. And the freedom to forget…

Image Then, is freedom the only reason you’re trying to gather all these books?

Image You’re only half right. During my time living underground, I could only pick up fragmented information about the outside world. I’ve seen and heard the same stories over and over and over again. I want to hear new stories now. I want to see new faces. That’s also why I’m looking for the book that contains everything about the world.

Image …Revenge, huh. For what?

Image I’m taking revenge on the abominable person and world that made me into what I am. Only after I’ve completely and thoroughly destroyed everything he dreamed for, will my freedom finally be whole.

Image It will guide me to the book that will let me achieve such things, to be exact. How exactly those wishes will come true is beyond me.

Image The one book that will complete me and the Library…

Image If I can find that one absolute book containing everything I want to know, all will be resolved.

Image Wait, hold on. That’s your whole plan? Just find the book? You don’t exactly know how to earn that freedom and stuff?

Image The only thing I know for sure is that I myself will become whole at the end of the journey led by the invitation. The Library has infinite space. I could extract infinite books from countless guests and store them all if I wanted to.

Image Hence the invitation’s guidance along the path that leads to the book I wish to obtain, as I explained before.

Image Let’s say that you got the one book somehow. But you don’t even know what it’ll exactly do to you to make you “whole”?

Image I don’t care what happens to me. I’ll be satisfied with anything as long as I can get the results.

Image It’s almost scary how tenacious you are.

Image I'll take that as a compliment. Was there anything else?

Image No, ma'am. We've covered everything.

Image In that case, you should introduce yourself to our newest Patron Librarian, Netzach.

Image Another one's woken up already..? It's just one after another lately, isn't it?

Image Yes, we are still proceeding smoothly. You should be able find him on the new Floor of Art.

Image Of course, ma'am~

VIDEO
Music: NetzachStory
Image Is lying flat on the floor, huh…?

Image Hunh… The books are all over the floor, too. I’m sensing zero motivation to work.

Image Hello~~ Mister Netzach, Patron Librarian~~?

Image Sigh…

Image If you keep refusing to cooperate, Angela is gonna raise hell with me~

Image Pleeeeeease wake up~~

Image I tried so hard building a sand castle, and it got swept away by the waves.

Image And I bet it was Angela who made those waves.

Image I was woken up once again, called on to take charge of the work I don’t want yet again. Leave me alone for a bit. I wanna go back to sleep.

Image Boy oh boy. How could every one of you hate Angela so much? Please help me out, will ya? We’re in the same boat, y’know?

Image You’re pitiable, man. How’d you end up in a place like this?

Image I know, right? I think I’m in a pretty miserable spot, too. So can you please spare some of that sympathy for us working hard together!

Image And a proper introduction from me as well; I’m Roland, Angela’s servant and library worker.

Image I gotta wonder, how am I always left with the kind of work that doesn’t suit me at all?

Image You tell me. I never thought I’d work in a library of all places, either.

Image Anyway! You’re going to be sorting books related to the arts from the bunch I bring, right?

Image Apparently. Sigh… Can you go back now since we’re done exchanging names ‘n all?

Image Um, look, you can lie down all you want, but you’re gonna do your work, right?

Image It’s not like I have a choice in that matter.

Image I’m counting on you~ Please make sure to work, alright?

Image Good morning, Netzach.

Image I don't want to…

Image With this, the entire Upper Layer is back together again!

Image I think that'd be 'Lower Layer' now.
Image Oh yeah. I guess it did turn over, didn't it?

Image Fifteen minutes… I'll get up in fifteen minutes, so leave me alone a little longer.

Image That's not an option. I won't make you be as meticulous as I would, but we're at least clearing this pile of books off the floor.

Image Let's get to work, everyone!

Image They get along well, don't they?
Image ...I suppose so.

Now that we've unlocked all four of the Lower Layer floors, we've finished with Keter's current assignment.

That means we've got an Abnormality we can fight, should we want to.

And of course, the way forward's opened up as well. That means it's time for another poll!

Image "Excessive aspiration would bring about unwarranted frenzy."

Image Your Shield.

Videos

Urban Legend
Netzach 1
Last edited by TeeQueue on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just found your LP of Lobotomy Corporation on the LParchive last week and I’ve already read it twice! I’m delighted you’re doing the sequel now and I can’t wait to see what other Agents you’re going to put in. Mizu maybe? Or Tenebrais? I can just imagine Talow waking up, going “no, I’m supposed to be dead now” and immediately trying to un-wake up.

(Please tell me this game has a battle symbol based on Today’s Shy Look because that horrible face thing is delightfully awful)

minor spoiler 'cause it hasn't come up yet but every abnormality has a battle symbol for receiving its pages 10 times, but sadly TSLs is not the jerky face :cripes:

Whilimbird wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just found your LP of Lobotomy Corporation on the LParchive last week and I’ve already read it twice! I’m delighted you’re doing the sequel now and I can’t wait to see what other Agents you’re going to put in. Mizu maybe? Or Tenebrais? I can just imagine Talow waking up, going “no, I’m supposed to be dead now” and immediately trying to un-wake up.

(Please tell me this game has a battle symbol based on Today’s Shy Look because that horrible face thing is delightfully awful)
Welcome! I'm glad you're having fun—but like Gespenst said, there isn't a version of the jerky face available without mods.

Then again, Bishop's HAIR isn't available without mods, so like. I'm clearly using mods. :v: :v:

In other news...

Looks like we have our direction. I'll be getting video over the next couple days.

General Works—005.77—The Heart of Aspiration

Mars's Key Page gets traded around a lot in the early stages of the game. Even without its 2 Speed Dice, it's got the best defenses in the game by far.

Image That's not exactly a suit.

Image It's close enough, and I like the sword.

Image Sword guy, eh?

Image I don't like using my fists. I prefer a bit of distance when fighting.

Image Ahh, yeah. Taking people out from across the room is definitely the way to go.

Image And you're going with that one because..?

Image I can fight without ever taking my hands out of my pockets.

Image Nice, nice~

Both of Keter's librarians are geared for more defensive fights, as usual. I meant to put in Nonstop Assault instead of Focused Strikes in Roland's deck, but… Well, nobody ever claimed I was competent. :shepface:

Image Alright, we're all set. ...Hey, is it emptier here than usual?

Image The others have expressed various reasons to avoid coming here.
Image Well, they're not exactly fond of speaking with you, ma'am…

Image I'm aware of that.

Image Eh… it's nice when it's quiet, anyways. Let's get this over with.

Image You heard her, ma’am.

Image No, I didn't.

SNAP

ImageThat's a bit different than I remember.

Image So it didn't used to walk?

Image No, that's new. Also, we didn't have lungs.

Image So having an old pro isn't all it's cracked up to be, I guess?

Image I could leave.

Image Hey, hey, let's not get hasty.
Heart of Aspiration wrote: Image Never stop wishing for it, until the beats give an answer.

Image If there was any meaning to everything we wished for…

Image Only self-destruction awaits at the end of excessive aspiration.

Image Every time something goes wrong, the beats will become faster and faster.

ImageIf you keep craving and do nothing to sate it, it’ll become too big and burst eventually.
Heart of Aspiration comes with a pair of helpers, named Lungs of Craving. Like any Abnormality battle, the best way to begin is by looking at our main target—the Heart.

The Heart of Aspiration has no passives, and the only page it'll play right now is a 0-cost with only Block dice. However, it has a max Light of 3. This usually means it's building towards something. Right now, we ignore it.

The Lungs of Craving, meanwhile, do have a passive—any time they fail to deal damage, they take 4 damage. If we win our clashes it doesn't really matter what kind of pages we play, the Lungs will eventually die off on their own.

Their main page, Fervent Beats, is basically trash—E-endure beats it almost every time, as does Rampage.

Image So you've seen this before, then?

Image Not me, personally. Usually someone else'd hold on to the Heart. It made you a better fighter.

Image And why didn't they let an old pro like you hold it?

Image Something about my weapon not being something or other? Like I pay attention to the higher-ups. :what:

Meanwhile, the Heart just stares at Roland… menacingly. It's a good idea not to keep any Defensive dice in the queue of the person being attacked by Heart of Aspiration—while its Block dice aren't powerful, it can still deal some chip Stagger damage if they roll well against, say, a spare Evade die.

Neither of the Abnormality Pages are particularly useful in this battle. We're not going to Stagger our opponents, and they mostly deal in Piercing attacks. Still, this is technically a misplay—Scars can negate damage on occasion, which could be useful if we can't block an attack.

Image Well… these guys are definitely putting the heat on me. Can you—

Image Union break. Gonna be late. Good luck with that.

Image You get a union..?
Image Wait, that's not important. Gimme a hand, here!

Like right now, for instance. Because of how targeting's worked out, we can't avoid having Roland get hit by a one-sided attack from one of the Lungs.

I have Roland E-endure the attack from the top Lung as its HP is lower, and let Zaida attack it as well.

While he blocks the first attack…

The second hits him for 5 damage—not much more than a scratch.

While Zaida sets the first one on fire.

Image Wonder if these things can open letters…

One thing I haven't mentioned yet about this fight is that everything is zoomed in closer than normal—I like it a lot, it feels like we're having a knife fight inside of a small space. Like a heart.

Image Are you going to help this time..?

Image Sorry. Still on break.
Image But you just hit it.

Image All I did was set my weapon on fire and smack the thing with it.

Image Your weapon is grafted to your spine.

Image It's not like it feels pain. That'd be stupid.

Image Fine… fine… I get it.

Image I'll just take another one for the team.

Since the most these things can deal is 6 damage, there's no harm in tanking a couple hits.

Roland nearly downs the top Lung.

Takes another solid hit from the bottom Lung.

And Zaida gets revenge by smacking the bottom Lung. Unfortunately…

Image It's still alive. Barely.

Image It's fine… Not like those things can hit very hard.

Image The big one's moving strangely, though…

Image ...Ahh, hell.

Beats of Aspiration is the Heart of Aspiration's trump card. Its 2-6 Slash die is risky against anything short of a Commandeering, and should it land it'll give +3 Strength and Haste to one of its allies. Given that those allies are spamming pages with 3 offensive dice on them, that's not ideal.

Image Are you done goofing off now?

Image Not like I have a choice. It's targeting me…

With Struggle we may be able to block the attack—and if not Zaida will have 2 Protection next turn regardless.

Roland, meanwhile, finally uses both Speed Dice in one turn. E-endure should paralyze the healthy Lung to offset the Beats if it should hit, and Wallop should take out the other Lung no problem. We haven't seen the page it's using yet, Retracting Beats. I have no idea why it didn't show up before now, but it's pretty unremarkable.

E-endure's paralysis lands as planned…

And Wallop handles the Lung.

Image Got my half of things handled. How're you doing?

Image Been better… Might have a problem next turn.

Image You're cleaning it up.

When the Beats of Aspiration attack lands, during the next scene the screen pulses with a heartbeat effect. This is the cause of the blurring in this shot. Additionally, there's special dialogue.
Heart of Aspiration wrote: Image Join me in this feverish and quick pulsation.

Image Even if it means I must burst someday, I want to see the end of it.

Image :sigh: Guess I have to get to work for real, now…

Taste My Flaming Bat! is our best page in Zaida's hand for this turn—the Paralyze 2 should make all of its dice ranges 1-1, meaning we just need to beat a 4 to block any of its attacks. Roland joins in with an Appetite on the Lung as well, since once it's down the fight is all but over.

Image Try not to die.

Image Don't worry. I've got a plan.

Image When it attacks me…

Image I just need…

Image To not be there.
Image ...That's a terrible plan.

Image Worked, didn't it?

Image Yeah… guess I can't fault the results.

Now I put Scars on Roland. Gee, sure would have been nice to have the damage reduction when he was actually taking damage. :negative:

Image Comin' at me again, boss.

Image Up for a clever plan?

Image One brilliant move a day is usually my limit… but sure.

Image You line up a Rampage…

Image And I steal its attention with E-endure!

Image Well, if you're going to roll out the red carpet for me like that…

Image I'll take it, thank you. Let's finish, quickly. I'm not used to the smell of blood yet.
Image I thought you'd have dealt with it by now. You fought these things all the time, right?

Image Other people did most of the fighting. I just tried to stay out of the way of anything troublesome.

Once the Lungs are defeated, this fight is all but over.

While the Heart of Aspiration can still attack with Beats when its Light is full…

There's nothing left to pass its buffs on to—Beats of Aspiration can only buff allies. It takes a few scenes, but eventually…

Image So in the end, the Heart's still worthless without someone to wield it. Once we got rid of its helpers, this thing was cake.
Image Something coming to mind?

Image The form's different, but these are definitely the same Abnormalities as before. That's all.

Image Great, great. Then, as an expert, I'll be relying on you to work extra hard for the next one, in that case.

Image ...whoops.

So long as we save the Heart of Aspiration for last, it's not a particularly difficult battle. Thankfully, every single passive and page in the fight naturally pushes players in that direction.

Image We're back, ma'am.

Image Splendid. Round up everyone. It's time for a staff meeting.

Image Seriously..? Hey, Zaida, can you at least get…

Image Gone. How does she do that? Alright. I'll get on it.

VIDEO

Image Malkuth, Yesod, Netzach, and Hod. It’s been a while since I saw you all gathered up in one place.

Image Angela…

Image What are you trying to accomplish with this?

Image Nothing special. I simply wanted to have a meetup with all of you.

Image Alright, let’s loosen up a bit, everybody.

Image We’ve got nothing to talk about with the likes of you.

Image I have a problem with the process of retrieving the Light.

Image You don’t want to kill the guests with your own hands, do you? And you don’t want to suffer yourselves, either.

Image He’s right! Even though the guests chose to come in here… We shouldn’t drive people to death as part of our work again. It’s not right!

Image You were alright with killing hundreds upon hundreds of employees, but now you’re upset about killing a few strangers? Hypocrites…

Image Don’t lump me with you lot, will you? I at least seek “agreement” from them. Got anything left to say, Netzach?

Image We thought that would be the last of it… Not any more of this…

Image …We don’t have a choice, Netzach. Nothing we say will get through her anyway.

Image You’re still so cold and heartless, Angela.

Image I know you all realize deep inside your hearts that this is the only way. If you didn’t want to do this, you shouldn’t have tried to stop me in the first place. Leave, all of you.

Image But the new Librarian… who's going to greet them now, ma'am?

Image You do it. They're your responsibility in any case. I wish to be left alone.

SNAP
Image :sigh: Yeah… okay. Let's get this done with.

Before that, it's Abnormality Pages time! Pulsation is a very good Level 1 page for a very different build than what Zaida and Roland have. The 1-2 Strength it gives is amazing for offensive-focused Keter builds, letting our pages blast through enemies much more easily. The downside is also simple enough to mitigate most of the time. Altogether, it's a strong page. Urging is mostly useful for the 15% max HP increase—the heal this provides can get us out of a jam, and is the only form of healing we have on this floor at the moment. The 1-2 Speed bonus is nice to have, but ultimately doesn't change much aside from letting us pick a few more clashes. Then there's Fervent Beats…

Fervent Beats changes one librarian into an absolute wrecking ball. 4 Strength/Endurance is insane. It remains fairly insane for most of the game. The librarian in question will win every clash, period, and deal very good damage with any page we play. In exchange, they're on a timer. This makes it something of a tempo play—great primarily in heavily offensive decks that can leverage it to gain an overwhelming advantage before the user's heart bursts. Unfortunately, as a Level 2 page the earliest we can grab it is at Emotion Level 3, and there aren't many fights that we'd want to let draw out for 3-4 turns before then going for a play like that. Still, it can be situationally useful.

We have new assignments, too. Keter's basically always reliant on unlocking the new floors and progressing in the plot, so we won't be coming back to this floor for an Abnormality Battle for a while.

Image It's a little lonely staring into the smoke all by myself…
Image Man, if I wanted this kind of inter-office drama I'd have stuck with an Office somewhere.

Image What's all this about drama..?

Image Nothing you need to be concerned with. Who're you?

Image Steve. Just an ordinary guy who definitely isn't regretting putting in for overtime right now.

Image So I take it you'll be running off on break now, too?

Image You've already met Zaida, I see. Don't worry, we're not all like the captain.

Image I've noticed that you're all something of an… eccentric bunch.

Image Of course. It'd be more concerning if any of us did seem normal after working in a place like this… Actually, wait. What is this, anyways? Last I remember there was that huge fight, and now we're...

Image In the library. It's a long story.

Image Well, at any rate, you don't have to worry about any oddities coming from me. I'm just an average, everyday guy.
Image How you can say that while sporting that kind of look I'll never know…
Image Is something wrong, sir?

Image Nah, just mumbling to myself. Welcome to the team, Steve.

Image I don't really know what's going on… but okay!

Image Your Shield.

Videos

Keter 1

so it's probably a good thing TeeQueue wasn't really leaning into an offensive build because especially in the abnormality fights in the early game Mar's page is busted. the fights are pretty firmly balanced around an a specific number of actions per turn, and an extra speed dice breaks that balance pretty hard, in this fight it's a free attack each turn, an easy one sided attack to kill the lungs that much faster and eliminate the threat that much cleaner. sure you have a limited number of times that can be done thanks to the fact that you're using pages faster than you're drawing them, but both the lungs will probably be dead by the time that hand's empty.

That would have been a much smarter way to play than what I've been doing, to be honest.

Luckily, Ruina isn't nearly as hard as Lobotomy Corporation so I can play very suboptimally and get away with it—I only used the Mars extra die like once, I think?

Book 12: Zwei Association 1

Image Roland, now that you have three Librarians on your floor, we'll be defaulting to you for—

Image We'll go.

Image I thought you had nothing to say to me.

Image I didn't. Now that it's work, I do.

Image Well, it's no problem for me if you want to go. We'll all have to get used to it eventually.

Image Angela?

Image Do as you like.

Hod's using a Lulu deck, and if I'd been thinking properly I'd have tossed a trio of E-endures onto her in order to properly abuse the floor's Abnormality Pages. Since I wasn't thinking properly, we have no block users. This is because…

Medea's using a combo oriented deck. While D-dried Up's +2 Strength wasn't really worth it when we only had one die to play around with, combining it with an extra Speed Die will prove to be… effective. :getin:

VIDEO
Music: StoryChaboon

Image I beg you. My juniors… They’re all dead.

Image You’ve said that a million times by now. It’s gonna ring in my ears for days. Look, I know what happened. Your crew all died on a trip to a place called ‘The Library’.

Image I’d like to request the Zwei for support. I want to retrieve their books at least.

Image And barging into Zwei HQ to beg like this is not the right way to do it. Come on, you know better than that.

Image Julia. I know you’re friends with this idiot, but even then, we should not act upon friendship or attachment. The whole system could collapse otherwise. The lobby will be filled with all kinds of miserable folks, begging and pleading for help. You may be a low-grade pipsqueak, but you’re still Zwei’s Associate Fixer nonetheless. You’d better remember what you learned today.

Image But I’m responsible for this case, and… And the association is responsible for it, too.

Image So that’s how it is… You use us as you please, then turn your back on us so easily…

Image Hello, you’re putting the blame on the wrong people here. Even if such a deal did take place like you said, you must have demanded or at least expected a corresponding reward. That’s what a deal is after all. You used the association as much as the association used you. You don’t get to talk like it was one-sided extortion. Come on, let’s not act like rookies now. You’ve been in this business for 8 years, you should know how things work by now.

Image Isadora! You don’t have to be so harsh. We all started out as Office-mates…

Image I’m just frustrated. I don’t want to see him in such a wretched state, either.

Image Sorry. I understand what you’re trying to say. You’re right, that’s how it’s always been… I’ll go look for another way now.

Image San… I’m so sorry… I never thought it would turn out this way…

There's a beeping sound here like from a radio or pager.

Image Well would you look at that. Now this is the proper procedure I’m talking about. The Hana Association just elevated ‘The Library’ from Urban Myth to Urban Legend.
Image That means…! Our association can now officially act on this case, right?

Image W-well, yeah, but we still don’t know Zwei’s stance on it yet, so, don’t get your hopes up, alright?

Image Thank you, Isadora… I really owe you one.
Image And apologies for laying my burden on you.

Image There certainly have been reports that several other Syndicates and Offices fell victim to ‘The Library’, although they were mostly insignificant fledglings.

Image But it’s all thanks to the masterful data analysis by our lovely Isadora from Section 6 that it could be handled so quickly, right? That’s my girl!

Image Fine, believe in whatever you want! Anyway, do you still have that invitation with you?

Image How much of a difference does that make?

Image The guests we’ve had so far all gave us a visit out of casual interest or curiosity, but our future guests will have a clear goal in mind involving the Library.

Image How so?

Image A case officially recognized by the Associations is guaranteed to be rewarding. And money attracts an awful lot of attention. The scale of our affairs is only going to escalate from here, like it or not. Our threat level or importance is still probably on the lower end, but we’ll nevertheless get all sorts of people trying to unravel the mysteries of this place as long as the Associations have an eye on us.

Image I like the sound of that. I can make more valuable books out of them. I still have a lot to see and learn.

Image …I am under a curse. A deep, ancient curse; that is what’s attached to me. No being that isn’t human can walk out of this place.

Image Besides, I don’t want to leave this place until I’ve had my revenge, either.

Image It’s not too bad so far. Rather, I’ve been actually quite delighted lately. It has been full of brand new things, unlike the prison that was my past life. New faces, accumulating knowledge, intriguing events… I like this abundance of freshness. I want to know more. I will keep learning and learning. And as I learn, I might finally figure out…

Image …Why I had to be subject to such torment…

Image Guess I gotta work harder, then. I can’t leave here as long as you can’t, you know?

Image You mean a restaurant?

Image Yep. They make some sick meat stew there.

Image Creating a taste that’s so rich in such a short time is what makes the restaurant so hot. The only issue is that prices are a bit high. I spent half of my last job’s payout on a single meal one time. But it’s totally worth it.

Image ……

Image Oh, right, are you incapable of eating…? Sorry for bringing up useless words, ma’am. There are plenty of other places you’d love to visit, so I’ll make sure to give you a tour through the City, ma’am.

Image I can eat, but I cannot taste the food. I do wish to try dining like you people do if I get a chance, though. In any case, we need to finish the task at hand before anything.

Image And the stew… I’ll keep that in mind.

Today's guests are a simple 1-Act affair with none of the people we've seen so far. The two guests on the sides are randomly generated, while the one in the center is a custom sprite that doesn't appear anywhere else. They're also a little stronger than the other two.

Their passive will slightly restore their HP when they win clashes, but since we get to pick when and how they clash this will mostly not matter.

Music: HodBattle01

Image Medea… these guys are some kind of important Association, right?

Image Yeah, but as I recall they're a 'protection' Association. Offensive tactics like this aren't their specialty.

Image Then if we can play it right, we may be able to deal with them.

The first thing I do is check out Medea's hand—and it turns out we've gotten the perfect opening turn. I'll be using both D-dried up and Deflect. If I'd been thinking, I'd have clashed Deflect using the 5 die and ensured +3 Emotion Coins from the blonde Zwei, but...

I'm not smart. :sweatdrop: The Deflect goes on our second die, targeting the same guest.

Image You don't have to do this. There's only three of them. I can handle it.

Image I appreciate it, but…

Image I can't just push the work off on others. I'll do my part, the same as everyone else.

Image In that case…

Image I'll support you with all that I've got!

This is unfortunate. Our minimum result got us +1 coin, but the tie involving a defensive die is worth nothing. Since we need 3 coins to level up to Emotion Level 1, that means we'll need 1 more coin than we're guaranteed from clashes to level her up.

With the next clash being another draw, Medea only gets +1 more coin from it as well. We'll need one maximum or minimum roll in order to round things off and level her up. The issue with technical decks like the one I've built for her is that most receptions go very quickly, and as a result being able to quickly ramp into our combo is key to success. If we don't get our Emotion Level up, we'll have a total of 1 Light and a bunch of 2 costs clogging our hand. That would be very bad. :ohdear:

Hod gives one of the other guests a proper beating, before she takes a pair of hits from Retaliate.

Retaliate is the best page in the deck of the two sidekick Zwei, and we never want to clash with it unless we have a page that leads with an Evade die. Taking the hit hurts, but it's worth it to avoid getting hit by an even bigger die after losing a clash.

Finally, Medea gets a lucky max damage roll on her final attack with Deflect. We're in business.

Image It seems that our emotions have called out to that child for help. So this is what it feels like…

Image Any complaints if I grab this one?

Image By all means.

When we select Look of the Day, our librarian gets a face next to them that cycles through Today's Shy Look's five moods. Based on these moods, we get -2, -1, +0, +1, or +2 Power to all dice we play—but unlike every other time we've dealt with Today's Shy look we want the angry face.

With this, Medea's all set up. D-dried up gave her +2 Strength last turn, and if our timing is good Look of the Day gives another +2 Power on top of that.

This means C-chop it Off! becomes a 6-7, a 5-5, and a 7-7. :getin:

This is the basic idea behind Power stacking, a strategy where we get as many Power bonuses as possible onto a Librarian before having them use as many Offensive dice as possible to overwhelm our opponents.

Just to be sure, I also drop the second C-Chop it Off! on the same target. While the only way they'll survive is if they manage to block the first attack, I'd always rather have one target down than two targets injured. This is, of course, a misplay for reasons I'll explain in a moment. :v:

I also have Hod aim at one of the other Zwei Fixers as well. Now we just have to wait for the face to be angry. I do this by looking for a smaller set of teeth in the middle of the face, since it can be difficult to see while in the default view.

There is a way to zoom in, however!

By using the mouse wheel, we can zoom in on the screen. This forces the screen towards the center, however, so in order to move the screen around we have to click in the mouse wheel. This changes the mousewheel to the star on screen here, and lets us drag the mouse around to move the screen.

No, this isn't documented anywhere. :lobcorp:

Anyways, with a better view on things we hit space when the face is at its angriest for that sweet +2 Power.

Image Sorry, but recent events have me feeling frustrated.

Image I'll just picture you as someone else for a minute.

The reason using both C-chop it Off! on this Fixer was a misplay is because they had Paralyzed 1, and therefore their maximum roll was only 3. We could not possibly lose this clash, no matter what happened. That means…

Every part of this attack…

Was 100% inevitable. I could have used the second page on another target without any issue. When Power stacking like this, not making basic misplays is vital to get the most out of our massive amounts of damage.

Image Hey! Come on, now..!

Another Retaliate. We have enough bulk that I just let these pass instead of clashing with them.

Image This… did get easier, the second time.

Image You're doing fine. Let's keep it up!

We put Social Distancing on Hod because she's more likely to get use out of it, though I haven't really built either one for it. I should have brought E-endure with me, just for this page.

Music: HodBattle02

Image These battles are really flashy…

Image This is actually pretty normal among Fixers. The real question is why they wait for us to set up before the combat begins.

Image That is another effect of the Library. It is not that they are waiting, it's that the intentions of the guests are read, and perception of the Librarians and guests slows down until actions have been decided. Our perceptions are unaffected, thus it appears as if they are waiting.

Image Amazing..!

Image The more I hear about this Library, the more amazed I become about all its conveniences. Stealing techniques, physiques, and now even intentions… what can't it do?

Image Let me leave.
Image ...ah.

We're basically in cleanup mode at this point. Both Zwei have played their one copy of Retaliate, so until they've gone through enough pages to refresh their deck we won't be seeing anything threatening again.

Image Even easier this time… The key to adjustment is to do it slowly and steadily, after all.

Image Take all the time you need.

Image I've got these guys handled either way.

Image Take care of the one on me, I'll finish this guy off.

Image I'm not fast enough. Defend yourself.

Image Sure thing, but then… who'll take care of the other guest?
Image I will.
Image But, Miss Hod..! You shouldn't have to—

Image It's fine. I'll have to get used to killing eventually, right?

Image I'll take care of this. Do what you have to do.

Image Of course, Miss Hod. I'll trust in you.

Medea Staggers the third Zwei Fixer…

While Hod downs the second.

Image How was it?

Image I feel a little uneasy, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It's a good thing this body can't get sick, at any rate.

Image ...Yeah. People are fragile. I'll take out this last one for you.

Image No, I… I'm going to get used to this. I've watched you all suffer over and over for so long without ever truly helping, the least I can do is take responsibility.

Set Fire is overkill here, but it's not a card game unless we're needlessly styling on our opponents. I don't make the rules. :shrug:

Image I'll remember your story, so pass on without regret.

Zwei Association 1 is ultimately just a warm-up. It's another step up in difficulty from Urban Myth, but there's still nothing particularly challenging here.

Image Miss Hod…

Image I'm fine now. Let's do our best next time, as well.

Once again there's no ending scene, since those only seem to come with people who have names, who won't appear until our next Zwei Association reception. However, it seems we've hit a branch before then—the latest fight opened up Netzach's first Abnormality Battle. That means it's time to determine where we're going next, once again.

Image "You see a song in front of you. It's approaching, becoming more colorful by the second."

Image More Shield.

Videos

Zwei Association 1

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think I’m noticing a trend in how the votes turn out

Someday, there will be a poll without an Abnormality Battle in it. Then, true chaos will reign.

Until then!

We're doing Netzach next.

Art—406.60—Fragment of the Universe

Image Are you sure you don't want to…

Image I don't care.

While setting up to record this episode, I had the brilliant idea to have Netzach try it without equipping a better Key Page. The Patron Librarian Key Pages are terrible, and this is a bad idea. Don't do this.

Image ...You're prepared?

Image Ready as I'll ever be.

Image Um… give it your best, Netzach.

Image Bring us back a new ally!

Image ...what a pain…

SNAP

Image ...Back in the day, you sure sent a lot of employees over the edge. Guess it's my turn to see why.
Fragment of the Universe wrote: Image Understand. Perfection. Moment. Know. Knowledge. Our. Meaning. Deliver.

Image Do. Together. Chant. Song. Enlightenment.

Image Impale. You. My. Understand. Cross. Boundary. Human.

Image Hurt. Not. Knowledge. Our. Simple. Give. Relay.

Image Sings. Nerves. Focus. Moment. See. Exist.

Fragment of the Universe's passive ability makes it deal 2x Stagger damage with its basic attacks, and its Penetrate is a 4-8 Pierce attack. As a reminder, the default suit is weak to Piercing attacks and has 15 Stagger Resist.

Yeah… this is going to be one of those days.

With its Light full thanks to the extra +1 from Stagger, Fragment of the Universe is free to use its ultimate attack on us right away. By all accounts, we should be dead.

Instead, it... deals no damage at all? :psyduck: Let's look at Fragment of the Universe's trump page, Echoes from the Beyond.

Echoes from the Beyond is Fragment of the Universe's kill page, much like Fourth Match Flame or Metallic Ringing before it. However, it has a massive weakness—while the text states it deals 0 damage, this isn't quite accurate. Instead, holding an Enlightenment forces all dice on this page to roll a 0.

Also when Echoes from the Beyond is played, there's unique dialogue based on whether or not Netzach is enlightened.
Fragment of the Universe wrote: Without Enlightenment
Image !#&^*&(^^*()!!#$!#$

Image !&&((@##&^@%$!@#!@&

Image !#...!#&&*&^$%%$$%%^^&*(!

With Enlightenment
Image In a world of subconscious that denies all common sense, in the nebulousness that reflects the real world better than any mirror could…

Image When the glaring sun comes down, ethereal images will show themselves.

Image The vast, glittering echo that approaches, wavering its head; if you can hear it, let us sing it together.

Anyways, the next two turns go basically the same way. We tank Penetrate…

And Echoes fails to do anything again. This gives us two copies of Enlightenment in hand. We should probably talk about what that page does next, as it's very important to the fight.

Enlightenment's 8-8 Block die will stop an incoming Penetrate 100% of the time, and its 0 cost is useful for refilling our Light. While holding it does cut our Stagger Resist in half, since any hit we take in this fight is going to Stagger us anyways this isn't actually a downside.

For some reason, holding two of them at once does not further reduce our Stagger Resist further, and playing one of the two will let us hold the other one while having maximum Stagger Resist. This entire fight is very :lobcorp: in terms of edge cases and how the pages function vs what they say.

Anyways, the smart play would be to throw out an Enlightenment to block the Penetrate and then follow up against its Echoes the next turn.

I don't realize this for another couple scenes. :shepface:

Image I'm getting tired of being your punching bag.

Thankfully, we win this coinflip. If we'd missed it we'd have been Staggered again.

With us finally able to move on an Echoes turn, I fire off our spare Enlightenment—I'll be honest, I don't know what I was thinking with this one.

It works, though. :v:

And we follow up with Commandeering, to lop off half of its HP and get extra protection against the stab next turn.

Image Seriously..?

And while we get Staggered again…

Fragment of the Universe still can't do much more than that.

It's now that I finally realize playing Enlightenment against Penetrate is the correct move. So long as we keep one in hand, using the other to block Fragment's only damaging attack is a wonderful play.

So we block its first attack…

Hit it with a flaming bat…

Get lucky and stay unstaggered after a Penetrate…

Stagger it in return…

And at this point, the fight is all but won.

Image You were troublesome, as expected…

Image :sigh: I need a drink.

Fragment of the Universe is ultimately just a tutorial about some attacks being able to add pages to our hand, and isn't a particularly difficult fight as long as we read the pages that the Fragment uses against us.

VIDEO
Music: NetzachStory

Image This smell… And this thing rolling around on the floor… Don’t tell me… …A beer can. Where the heck did you get this?

Image This is the Library, Roland. Constructed from the light of possibilities. Anything’s possible as long as you’ve got the book.

Image Uh… Are you sure you’re sorting the books well? You seemed okay at receiving guests, at least.

Image Really, you sorted them all? Lemme see, that’s… The books are almost randomly scattered across the floor. I don’t think that counts as sorting…

Image ……

Image Here, have a drink.

Image Hehey, you’ve got manners at least. Well, lemme take a sip if you insist.

Image Kyah~ Never guessed I’d get the chance to drink beer in this place. Boy, how I missed this sparkling softness.

Image Good stuff, ey?

Image It sure is, brother.

Image So, how’s work been going?

Image It’s been going, somehow. Not that I’m satisfied with it, though.

Image What’s your biggest complaint at the moment, then?
Image That I have to take someone else’s life with my hands.

Image But it’s either you or them, ain’t it?

Image That’s why I have to fight. And that’s what I don’t like about it. I’ll probably hafta kill even more people as time goes by. Doesn’t matter if it’s a saint or the scum of the earth. Everyone wants to live all the same.

Image I’m picking up what you’re puttin’ down. But it’s no different out there, really. People all hurt and kill others because they don’t wanna be hurt themselves. Take others’ lives so you can keep yours. Bit too obvious, maybe?

Image I guess that’s how things were in the outside world.

Image Dunno, I’m feeling tipsy. All I remember for sure is that I worked at Lobotomy Corp.

Image Must’ve been in a pretty sweet spot, working in a megacorp like that.

Image You really think so?

Image Duh, of course. People are bound to envy anyone who gets to join a Wing. They give a lot of cash, welfare’s nice, and you gain social status too.

Image Yeah. That’s what they always say. Let’s just forget about all that for now and drink some more.

Image Alright! Gotta drink while I can.

Image Why hello there, ma'am~ Care to join us?

Image I was planning to tell the both of you that the new librarian should be along soon, but instead I'm treated to this display.
Image (Netzach takes another long drink, maintaining eye contact with Angela the entire time.)
Image Well, whenever you're done with… this, we're quite prepared.

Image Don't worry, ma'am. I'll scurry along soon.

So, let's talk about our new Abnormality Pages. Echoes from the Beyond is a kind of generically decent page, giving us Stagger Resist recovery and dealing mass damage to the enemy's Stagger Resist as well. It falls off as the numbers get bigger in later receptions, but for now it's a good pick.

Tentacles, on the other hand… well, I'll start by saying that I can see the appeal behind Tentacles. Every time we hit with a Pierce attack, our enemies lose 5% of their maximum Stagger Resist, making it easier to restagger them. After 10 successful Pierce attacks, this goes all the way down to 50% of their original maximum. In theory, this is an excellent Abnormality Page for boss fights, letting us quickly re-Stagger bosses in order to take them down. In practice, however, very few enemies survive beyond their first Stagger. Because of this, there's generally going to be a better pick available. Still, it's better than nothing and right now we don't have a lot of alternatives.

Incomprehensible gives us incentives to go for one-sided attacks, letting us slap Disarm and Feeble on our opponents. Both of these are new status effects—each stack of Disarm gives -1 Power to all Defensive dice the opponent plays that turn, and each stack of Feeble gives a -1 Power on all Offensive dice. Altogether, this means that we have a chance of giving an opponent -1 Power each time we hit them one-sidedly. Like Tentacles, this is a very good page when beating down on a single large threat. Unlike Tentacles, it's also good at its job. Power is the god stat, and being able to apply -1 Power to your enemy's entire next turn is great. Shame that it's a level 2 page, so we can't pick it up yet.

We also get our next set of assignments. The top one should be relatively simple, and the rest are time-gated, of course.

Image Hey everyone..!

Image We're here. Let's welcome our new friend in this hell together!

Image Your cheeks… Netzach, have you been drinking?

Image Sure have. And the good stuff, too.
Image Deets me.

Image Don't worry, my dear protege. I'll let you in on the secret later.

Image That's my boss. You're the best, sir!

Image Yes, yes, praise me more.

Image I'd rather you didn't.

Image As much as I'd love to get my hands on some of the Bear-brand bubbly again, aren't there more important things going on, kiddos?

Image ...Oh, yeah. The new guy. I wonder who—

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Image I'd know that laugh anywhere…

Image Good evening, to all you delectable people! I take it you've remembered to keep smiling, haven't you?!

Image Ah, it's you… Guess I'm not getting any sleep anytime soon.

Image Not likely! And I see you've already found the booze. Splendiferous!

Image You'll probably want someone to catch you up on what's going on.

Image There'll be time enough for that later. For now, I simply must throw a party! Why, we've all survived through thick and thin, and against all odds!

Image We don't have time to waste on frivolities like that.
Image There's nothing frivolous about bringing smiles to faces!

Image So long as you remember to sort all the books for me, you can throw a party on any floor but mine.

Image And mine.

Image Mine's also a little…

Image I don't really want to clean up after a wild party.

Image Then I'll take it to the corridors betwixt your fine establishments! Come, friends! There's much to discuss!

Image More Shield.

Videos

Netzach 2

Mr. Black is back! I was hoping he'd be rejoining us!

Book 13: Zwei Association 2—Chapter 1

Image Ugh…

Image Hangover?
Image Please, no talking.

Image Perhaps you shouldn't have drank so much the night before a reception.

Image It's always the night before a reception around here…
Image What if we put off the reception until a little later on?

Image Each of these is sent to their fated guest, who comes at the fated time. Deviating from the proper schedule is a risk which I'd rather not take.

Image I see, ma'am. And how do you know when the time is right..?

Image I simply know.

Image She's making it up as she goes.

Image Most likely.

Image Undoubtedly.
Image If you have time for such rabble, you should be readying your floors for a reception.

Image ...That's all I needed to hear. Later.

VIDEO
Music: StoryNervous

Image I’m finally heading back to the Library.

Image Yeah. Let’s go retrieve the books of Mars and Lulu, and come back safely.

Image Don’t forget. While our main objective has been decided as retrieving the books of Mars and Lulu thanks to the coincidence of interests between San and the Association, we should still try to secure as much information as possible. Meaning we should collect as many books as we can.

Image Okay. I’ll keep that in mind.
Image I know it’s a silly question to ask, but why is Zwei, an Association specializing in peacekeeping and security, deciding to set up a search team of all things to enter the Library?

Image Why did you come begging to us in the first place if you knew all that?

Image That’s… That’s because this was the only place I could count on.

Image What about your younger brother?

Image My brother is… Never mind. Once again, I’m sorry for the trouble, and thanks again for the help.
Image San…

Image Hm hmm. Anyway, since you’re running an affiliate Office, I suppose it’s okay to tell you this.

Music: StorySimgak

Image It’s an anomaly that has been happening throughout the City ever since the White Nights and Dark Days. The frequency may be low, but people are turning into monsters at random, and each individual occurrence is a huge pain to deal with.

The Pianist is an important figure in the game's backstory, and probably worth an appendix post later on because it has some lore that doesn't come up in the game anywhere.

Image I heard that it was so sudden, the Hana Association had to dispatch one of the ‘Colors’ immediately after realizing the severity of the situation.

Image That’s right. Yet we still don’t have any clues to track down the cause of this phenomenon. The most we have is the sudden disappearance of L Corp, and the ‘White Nights and Dark Days’ whose starting point was in the corporation’s Nest. Zwei suspects that the Library may be one of the keys to understanding the Distortion Phenomenon.

Image A coworker told me a similar story. Said a resident in the area they were peacekeeping was suddenly distorted and transformed into a four-legged beast, even though there weren’t any signs of danger or anomaly nearby. Thankfully, they managed to take care of that creature before the death toll could hit two digits. And I also heard that a restaurant clerk turned into a… man-eating sandwich monster? Something like that one time.

Image I think I understand now. So the Distortion Phenomenon is a clear and apparent threat to Zwei’s peacekeeping activities, and they expect the Library to hold a clue for resolving it.

Image You got that right. Fortunately, there haven’t been any cases of the phenomenon that’s nearly as devastating as ‘The Pianist’ so far. It looks like Zwei is going to keep an eye out for the Library for a while. Though there are several other suspects they need to investigate as well, so we won’t be getting any high-grade Fixers.

Music: StoryJinji

Image I-I said I’m just doing my job. It’s not like I’m doing you a favor or anything.

Image Sure you are! You have my thanks as well, Isadora.

Image Let’s get to it.

Image What is?

Image The things they said about the Library. Is this place really all connected to stuff like ‘White Nights and Dark Days’, L Corp, and the Distortion Phenomenon?

Image I’m frankly not even sure where we are in the City, though.

Image What if I said it is?

Image If you said it is… I’m not sure I get what you mean. It’s extremely rare for an incident to encompass the City like the White Nights and Dark Days did.

Image There have been some cases of Wings falling apart on their own, but those only affected their own Nests at most. L Corp. was something else entirely. It’s like the whole City fell asleep for a week.

Image Let’s say that the Library really is related to the White Nights and Dark Days. What does that change?

Image Nothing, I guess. My work is still gonna be the same…

Image ……

Image …Yeah. The director of the Library will soon come and greet us.

Image Angela… was it?

Image Though it appears that you already know who I am.

Image We’re here to take back the books of Mars and Lulu.

Image They are here indeed.

Image We can get the books we want, or die and turn into books ourselves, right?

Image That is correct. As it is written on the invitation.

Image It’s like I’m talking to a wall. She’s so robotic.

Image …May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Only trust your books. Zwei Fixers will never help you.

Videos

Zwei Association 2

Image Hey, what are you doing in my spot?

Image Oh, sorry. I was just thinking. I'm going to have to kill people soon… and…

Image Ah, see, that's your problem. You're thinking. Here, let me show you a trick. And… voila~
Image How'd you get that?!

Image Ahh, the boss let me in on something important earlier. Turns out we can get anything we want out of these books. A beer or two is nothing at all.

Image Does that mean that I could finally try that high class whiskey I've always wanted..?

Image Knock yourself out, man. Just don't do it on my secret napping spot.

Image You know, now that you mention it, I thought that it was a bit comfier than the rest of the Library…

Image You don't want to know how difficult it was to find soft books around here.

Image But then, why didn't you just use them to manufacture a soft bed or pillows or something?
Image ………

Image Did I just think of something good?

Image I've decided to forgive you for stealing my spot, but only if you take your beer and leave.

Image Uhh… sure. See you around.

Hoping we get a drunk Librarian in a fight sometime :v

What if you wanted to go to work but the Pianist said "🎵🎶" and killed you

Appendix 7: The Pianist

The Pianist, aka that thing with the bunch of hands we saw both in the game's opening and in the last update, is a fairly important figure in the background of Library of Ruina. While much of that incident gets explained later, there are a couple of things worth knowing about it that don't come up anywhere in the game's canon.

First of all, this thing which killed most of a District would be considered somewhere between WAW and ALEPH if it was an Abnormality. That only matters to people familiar with the first game, but I feel it should be put here in either case. Put simply, it's strong, but it's nowhere near the top of what's possible for weird monster things in this world.

Secondly, there was a short story that was released for the Pianist before Library of Ruina was released, complete with a teaser video. I'll be enclosing it here, as my original source was deleted for some reason and I'd like to make sure that it remains available to fans.
The Pianist wrote: A 38-year old pianist wearing a worn out suit.
My day starts off at the bystreet in District 9, known as the street of music. Just loitering around aimlessly, knocking at the doors of underground stores, seeking for a job. However my reputation has already hit the bottom long ago in this very street. 'An abject musician who only knows to play by the rules of the music sheet.’ ‘A boring clown.’ 'A poor pianist who lacks any money, with no pull.' I know better than anyone else that this is the gruesome peak of my life. An exclusive pianist of a fancy restaurant, Person in charge of a recital at the social gatherings for the rich. Or arranging a private concert. This is all but an unreachable longing for me now.

A crummy, 40-square meter bar under the ground, full of all kinds of smoke. The scenery visualized by the flickering lightbulb's faint, scarlet light resembles a graveyard. A graveyard for the low lives such as I. A place where the scums such as incompetent fixers and the minor of a gang come together, to praise each other with foolish consolation.

In here I fix my eyes on the score, beating away black and white keys.

It was 14 years ago which I can’t recall vividly, that I began to play by dropping my head, unhindered by the surroundings. I first played at a bar when I missed my chance to be successful at the age of 24. Playing at a cheap pub came to me as an edge of a cliff, where I have nowhere to retreat to. As I start playing, the silence slowly covers the room, the customers turn their heads towards me admiring my performance and forming a single bond of sympathy ...is something I never expect as much. But I wanted my music to be respected a bit more than it is, whilst comforting their minds.

However when I look around the bar, I have to accept the fact that my music fits in here like a napkin, which is something you’d naturally see in a pub. It doesn’t matter if I’m not the pianist of this place. Anyone who can play by the score can be here as a prop. Just assorted there, where it’s suitable Like how napkins and vases should be on a table…

All these unnecessary contemplations happen more often these days. Three days of light, three days of darkness and a day of silence that wrapped around the city. Centering around that week, while playing busily I sink into the thoughts of the past and recall forgotten things at the same time.

Have I gained enough composure to introspect in the warmth, anxiety and silence, which doesn’t fit in with the city at all? My heart should’ve lost its capacity to let me think so deep, for it would’ve worn out too much already.

As always, I gently close my eyes while moving away my fingers diligently, in this crude bar of vulgar words and voices louder than a piano.

The one job that I can do is to hit the keys. There were fools here and there who knew how to play exactly as the score they were given. But most of them are in better places than I am. I could only watch as the people who I once thought were insignificant skyrocket upwards with the support from patrons. Though envious, I didn’t resent. I was confident that once my talent gained its rightful recognition, I’d reach a higher place than any others who used cash and connections to get up. But all that confidence was broken so fast it felt like a joke. About a year after choosing my path to be a pianist. I’ve heard someone say it’s a ‘boring performance.’ Even if it’s the only talent I had left, it all came to nothing compared to other’s talent. Dare I call this a talent at all. My eyes read the score slightly faster, and my hands were a bit quicker. I just loved the sound coming from the instrument. I didn’t know that it was a mediocre aptitude. Deluding myself that I am gifted with a unique, artistic ability. And I realized that it wasn’t just wealthy parents or patrons that I lacked in these hands.

I wasn’t even gifted to begin with.

My performance wasn’t even mine. It could be anyone’s, strictly playing by the rules of the sheet. The performance where the player didn’t have to be me. Yet, I couldn’t put my hand down from the keys for 25 years; why is that?

It’s probably because I love piano. And I’m still playing this instrument on my own, which nobody will pay attention to.

My eyes open up with someone forcefully pulling on my shoulder. A drunk bum talks to me with an infuriated face. Telling me to move aside, so he can play for his fellows who came along. Even then my hands continue to tap the keys away. They won’t stop until the song is complete. This seat won’t be empty till then. I will not yield. This is the last place I stand. It’s been kept firmly as my spot with an abject pride of mine, even when I knew I had no gift in me and people despised. The shopkeeper warns me that I shouldn’t make a scene. Threatening loudly that I’ll lose my job if I don’t step aside. I realize this again as I look up at them seated, using my fingers assiduously to play:

My performance has always been flowing at the bottom. It’s sinking as I look up in eternity.

My head rang all of a sudden. My performance ended as the shopkeeper slapped me across the face.

I watched the jerk sitting in front of the piano, as I sat at the table in the corner with a wet towel against my cheek. The cramped up bar is still filled with all kinds of crude chatter from the tables. The man who, is in no way civil, brags to his friends, spitting as he sits on the piano stool. It seems that he’d been playing it as a hobby. Stroking my swollen cheek, I wondered if things would’ve been better had I taken this as a mere hobby.

A luscious tune plays along. This made me wonder if that was really the same cheap one I’ve been using until now. Although the song is the same, the melody claws into the heart. Despite all the noise in the bar, it sounded so very vivid. And as all the other sound of the pub subsides, the beautiful music is the only thing left.

Tears roll down. Body shaking with the melody spearing through my mind, it was all too beautiful and painful for me to keep the tears in. As the melody reaches its climax, the small 40-square meter place that this place is, turns into a warm, cozy place that nowhere else can dare to be.

This, is the true talent. At that moment I vaulted out of my seat and headed straight for the piano. And after pushing that son of a bitch aside with all my might, I banged my head against the keys like a mad man.

Bang. Snap. Ding ding.

The piano’s sharp screech resonates.

Water runs down as my right eyeball digs into a black key. I rubbed and grinded my head against the keys. The sheer white keys turn crimson red. Then I twisted and snapped my left arm, crushing my left hand. Opened the mouth and rammed it into the corner of the piano. Teeth are broken and dropping out, digging into the instrument. Rubbing, smashing, and grinding the whole body. A sound that has never been heard before oozes out of it. I wasn’t upset when the customers ignored my performance. I wasn’t upset when that jerk interrupted me. I wasn’t upset when the shopkeeper wasn’t on my side. I wasn’t upset when my colleagues became successful with the help of the patrons. I just wanted to live by playing piano, because I loved to. This city won’t allow that. Nothing here goes well if you simply like to do it. Where is my freedom to live as who I am? Why can’t I leave the keyboard? Why must my heart be detested so much? This city disgusted me with all the judgement. I didn’t think that my seat was taken away when Mr. Nobody pushed me away and sat there. When his melody lured my heart -- only then my seat has truly been stolen. Why can’t I capture people’s minds? Why can’t I capture my own mind… Everything was in shambles.

When I came to be, everyone was listening to me play. They were listening to my own performance. The piano creaks, covered in my blood and flesh. But how is it possible that my body could play it anyway, with far greater willpower than I’ve ever had before? That question is trivial compared to the delight in this moment. Not stopping, I continue to play by smashing my damn body against the instrument. Although it was supposed to be broken already, it’s grown to be bigger with a better shape. The keys elongate. My arms stretch along. A brand new arm rises for the play. The music is more mellow than it ever was, resonating.

Score spreads out in front of my eyes. People are ripped apart with me, turning into notes. Making the same sound that came from the body of the jerk. Fixers draw their swords. Alas, they too have become a part of the play. I can see the sound above the music sheet. The sound of screaming, flesh exploding, bones breaking, and organs being pulled apart. Though all of that’s a cacophony, it turns into a melody with me. It becomes a beautiful performance. This is the true form of my talent. The piano and I, that used to be under the ground, become one and rise to the higher stage.

I play alone at the bottom of the city. Hitting the keys stronger and stronger, so one day every ear in this city will be filled with my music. I don’t sink into worthless contemplations anymore. I don’t care about patrons or talents. Everything becomes worthless in front of my melody.

Steadily keeping my place in front of the piano, I make the tune flow that only I can play. Though my performance could be flowing at the bottom, it will not sink further.

Now look who’s playing the music looking down...

...and look who’s shaking their body listening to the music, looking up.

I’m just a poor pianist born from the city.
Please look forward to learning more about this mysterious entity as the game progresses. Thank you!
Last edited by TeeQueue on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Book 13: Zwei Association 2—Chapter 2

Image Alright, we're all ready.
Image Pummein coash. M'ready to schlay!
Image Uh… Something seems off with Steve.

Image He seems very drunk.

Image Nah, nah, issh fiiine. I'm good~~

Image We… may need a minute.

Image We can't keep our guests waiting because you aren't able to keep your librarians in line. Get out there and—

Image Hold there a moment, my dear! We've a solution!

Image Oho? What've you got in mind?

Image Who are you talking to?

Image It's been far too long since I've been in the field! I thought, why don't I and the old boss take to the stage! And as it so happens, you're not up for it!

Image That could work, what do you say, ma'am?

Image ...Do whatever you like.

Image I'd like to be doing anything else…

Image Nonsense! You need to get some exercise! You're not a bag of bolts, you know, you have to keep working your body to keep it fresh! HAHAHA!

Image I guess it's settled then. Good luck, you two.

Image Aww… man..! I wash sho shure… Urp! :barf:

The first group of guests in our two-Act reception is identical to Zwei 1, with two normal Zwei Fixers and a slightly stronger blue version in the middle. While Mr.Black is running a bleed-focused Mars build, Netzach is still in the same outfit as last time.

Image This seems like a bad idea.

Image It's not like I had time to change… Mr.Black dragged me down here before I could protest.

Image When the iron's hot, you have to strike! It's the same in business, pleasure, and hobbies!

Music: NetzachBattle01

Image They certainly have branding on their side! But we won't lose to something like that!

Image I'd almost forgotten how exhausting you are…

Image HAHAHA! I missed you too, dear boss!

Netzach goes straight for a clash with Taste My Flaming Bat!, while Mr.Black's hand is…

Not the best. I opt to go for a double onesided attack, in order to get guaranteed Bleed onto an opponent.

Gratuitous arrows shot. By the next chapter, this is a pretty normal amount of chaos. :v:

Mr.Black takes a Retaliate head on, but the user is now out of Light.

Netzach and the lead Zwei Fixer trade blows as well…

And Mr.Black nearly Staggers the Fixer he targeted.

Image Ahh… it's been so LONG!

Image Don't get carried away, now.

With one of our guests at 2 Stagger but none of them currently Staggered, this is an ideal time to use Echoes. It should mostly heal our Stagger Resistance, while giving us one fewer threat to deal with next turn.

When selected, the page deals its damage immediately, and resolves before the Speed Dice show up.

This gives us a much better position to work with than we'd otherwise have.

This turn is entirely about pouring on damage on the Staggered guest. I'm okay with Mr.Black taking a few extra hits here because Zwei Fixers usually use Slash dice, and his defense against them is incredibly strong.

Image HAHA! I haven't felt a hit like this since I've woken up!

Image But you Zwei folk haven't changed at all, I must say!

Image You knew these guys..?

Image Anyone growing up in District 23 would! Why, I remember they'd frequently get in the way of doing this and that.
Image This and that…?

Image My pursuit of smiles has taken me all sorts of interesting places! And these folk would frequently try and keep me out! This is far easier, though—why, back in the day I'd have to carefully plan how to get around them to find new ingredients!
Image ...I don't think I wanna know any more, man…

Since Netzach doesn't have any Pierce dice on his pages, Mr.Black is the obvious choice for Tentacles.

Music: NetzachBattle02

This is an unfortunate situation. We can stop one of the attacks with Mars's page, but Netzach will have to clash with the other and if he loses then he's taking much more damage than Mr.Black would have.

Instead of that, I opt to go for a riskier play—Mr.Black dedicates his turn to deleting the Staggered guest, and Netzach clashes with the Zwei Fixer who's on their last legs. With no more free Light refills for either of them, I want to clear out the guests as quickly as possible.

Image My goodness! I'd heard, but it's so peculiar to see up close… They truly become books!

Image Is now really the time to get hung up over that?

Image It's the PERFECT time! When else are we going to get hung up?

Image We could do it when I haven't just murdered someone…

Image Murdered? He's still alive!

Image No, he's dead.

Image Just didn't know it yet.

Image HAHAHAHAHA! Well done, sir!

While the popup doesn't show up, we do still get books when a guest is defeated by Burn at the end of the turn.

Image You know, I really didn't think Netzach'd be nearly as skilled at this as he is.

Image He's always been like that. Guy doesn't like doing work, but when he does it it's done just fine.

Image He generally stayed out of the way and left us to our business. The ideal boss for someone like me.

Image Are you sure you didn't just use it as an excuse to slack off?

Image Like I said. Ideal boss.

Mr.Black sets up the last Zwei Fixer.

And Netzach finishes them off.

Image Things are proceeding well.

Image I don't really want to be complimented by you…

Image I am simply stating a truth.

I haven't mentioned it before, but remaining HP values are shown in the between-Act setup screens by way of the bars behind our Librarians and the Guests. The lower they are, the lower our overall HP are. It's a good way to eyeball how roughed up a floor is, or how much damage we've done to a guest.

Setting that aside, let's take a look at San and Julia. The third there is just another of the common Zwei Fixers, and can be ignored.

San's stats have been buffed to bring him up to par with the rest of the Zwei, and Julia is also a cut above her fellows. Normally, we'd want to trade out our floor here for a fresh one—Mr.Black and Netzach are both somewhat beat up, and their deck builds aren't designed for fights where they can't recover Light with higher Emotion Levels.

Then again, we'd normally want to be using Keter in the first place so who cares about optimal moves, right? :v:

Music: NetzachBattle02

Image I'm back here again… but this isn't the same place as before.

Image There's a number of wondrous floors! You simply happen to be on the best one of all, so relax and have a nice smile!!

Image 'Sup. I'm the Patron of the Floor of Art. Like he said, you musta' gone somewhere else last time…

Image They're considerate, for people who're trying to kill us…

Image That's just an act. Don't be fooled.

Due to some very bad luck, Netzach is staring down the barrel of a Retaliate—one page we absolutely can't afford to get hit by. I'm hoping to blunt it at least a little, but there's a firm chance we'll just eat huge amounts of damage early on. Mr.Black, meanwhile, just tries to keep the rest of the heat off of his boss.

He's eating a one-sided Retaliate of his own, but it's worth it to run Julia out of light for a turn.

Image I recognize those techniques… he's got to be associated with the chefs of District 23.

Image It seems that they can steal the techniques of anyone that's turned into a book.

Image It's possible… but you sound quite certain.

Image He's… using the body of my junior.

Image ...Ah.

Image Speaking of which, I believe I owe you a proper greeting.

Image That "greeting" nearly left me without a leg...

Image Really? I'd better try it again, then. You were supposed to be dead.

Image This is such a pain…

Image Hey now! Let's all lay off the boss! He's a fragile old boy right now, HAHAHAHA!

Image There's that teamwork again…

Image It's alright! We're "Your Shield," after all!

Image My, you're certainly more spirited than the last bunch! Please, keep that smile up 'til the very end!

Image Gotta' confess… I'm not doing so hot.

Image It's your own fault for not properly equipping a Key Page.

Image Like I could know I was about to be dragged into battle. I thought Keter had it.

Image There was your first problem: You thought! Simply experience the pleasures of life as they come, and smile, smile, SMILE!!
Image ...

Image Netzach. You can handle this much still, can't you?

Image Don't really feel like it… But there's not much choice.

Image Then do it. Don't worry about what you've forgotten or what may have been.
Image Man… what a pain...

Image Let's get to it, I guess…

Since both San and Julia rolled lower than all our dice, we can get away with taking all our actions before them.

On average, this means that Netzach should be able to recover some Stagger Resistance with Taste My Flaming Bat! before tanking the hit from Julia's 0-cost page. Mr.Black's lack of Light worries me, so I'm also hoping he manages to Stagger or book San.

Image They've sped up..?

Image Nah… your attack was just slower.

Image Ack—my head!

There goes that plan, I guess. Props to Netzach for rolling exactly 4 on a 3-9 die, enough to Stagger but not enough to give us a chance of defeating him this turn. :rolldice:

Mr.Black follows up, knocking him down to 5 HP left. Burn will reduce that to 3, so San's a light poke away from being out of the fight.

While Netzach is on his last legs with 8 HP left, the enemy's decided to target Mr.Black exclusively. Meanwhile, he's running into the problem of being in protracted fights with a 2-dice page this early—his Light's down to only 1 left, and on top of that…

We only have two pages left in our hand. I got lucky and drew a 1-cost that can take out San, but from here we're basically out of options without just taking dead turns on Mr.Black in the middle of a fight.

Since Netzach can't outspeed either of our two guests this turn, he's just going to hit the weakened Zwei Fixer as hard as he can.

Image Now then, let's just finish off that—

Image No you don't! San's an associate of ours, so don't think you'll get at him so easily.

:v: And I don't really care that much, but since Miss Julia does, I'll help out.

Image I'll overlook it this time, but that's not the attitude you should have...

Image Can you overlook this, too?

Image What?! No! Obviously!

Image Then how about this?! HAHAHA!!

Image I'm not overlooking anything from either of you!

Image No… No, they're just trying to get to me. That laughing man seems to be tired. I'll focus on the other one, who's on his last legs.

At last, we have a reasonable-looking turn of two clashes against two opponents.

Image Hoho, nice try there! But there's a frown on that face of yours…

Image There you are! Nothing makes you smile like a good book!

Image How dare you!

Image It's just business, lady.

Image This is anything but business!

Image This is… bad…

Image But I don't want to die here, either.

Image Then get out of my way.

Image Not an option, I'm afraid...

For this turn, I decide to aim for nothing but one-sided attacks, which turns out to be a very stupid idea for reasons we'll get into momentarily.

Netzach is using Commandeering, to go with Mr.Black's Rampage.

Image This mission is all but hopeless...

Julia's attack hits first, putting both her defensive dice into her defense queue.

Image But as long as I'm still standing, I can find a way out.

Which allows her to completely dodge Mr.Black's Rampage, leaving him with 0 Light.

Image Enjoy that hit. It's the last one you'll be landing!

Julia's attack isn't anything particularly strong. Unfortunately for Netzach, though…

We don't have any pages we can play. In the early game, decks fall off hard once we lose our free Light refills at every Emotion Level. Without some other way to regain our Light, it leads to situations like this later on where the enemy gets free turns.

Image Oh… I guess that's it…

Image And stay down!

Music: GuestBattle02

From here, it's just a 1-on-1 slugfest.

Image ...You've slain him.

Image You're not going to get angry after all this, right?

Image HAHAHA… no, no you don't need to worry about that.

Image Life, death, everything's best with a smile! I'll miss his, but it's important that I not change my ways!

Image What's with that obsession with smiles… it's creepy, you know?!

Image That's simply the way it's always been! Service with a smile! Complaints handled with a smile! Good little boys and girls, smiling as I make sure to meet their needs! A smile cures ills, settles fears, papers over any injury no matter how bloody! Those smiles, they're the essence of the hospitality industry!

Image What part of this is hospitality?! All you're doing is killing anyone who comes in here!

Image It's still better than working food service.

Here, on Scene 12, is where I make a massive error. With her using Retaliate and Mr.Black's Stagger Resist at just 4, my only real option is to play a Rampage and pray that one of the hits overcomes her evade die.

Instead, I decide to use Goin' First for some reason. Evade dice are always a draw, and the second die is a 2-2 going up against a 4-5.

That means this Stagger was the only possible outcome. :doh:

Image Okay… If I just pour everything into this strike…

On the upside for us, we have a decent chance of surviving this hit as long as she rolls a 4 or lower.

:rolldice:

Image I… I did it. San… Everyone… I'm sorry I couldn't stop them.

When we lose, as long as we have floors left we're brought back here. The defeated floor has the enemy's symbol on it, and we get to select where they'll run to next. It's also possible to update Key Pages and change decks around on this screen, as long as we haven't used them so far in the reception.

Image Exit… exit. I just have to get out of here, and…

Image I'm sorry, but it's not time for you to leave yet.

Image What?! I won, didn't I?! Everyone gave their all, and I just barely..!

Image Unfortunately, your Ordeal isn't yet over. You'll have to go through us.

Image Oh… nuts.

Image May I?

Image Of course.

Image If I just…

Image I won't let you run, or hide.

Image You made it further than the others… but that ends here.

Altogether, Zwei Association 2 is another small step up in difficulty. So long as you're not being a complete idiot like me, they shouldn't be too much trouble. Farewell, Streetlight Office. :patriot:

Image That was a close one, huh..?

Image Perhaps this will put a stop to Netzach's questionable decision-making.

Image Well, he's dead, so…

Image No one can die here without my permission.

Image ...Ah. I knew it was too good to be true.

Image HAHAHAHAHAHA! What a delectable experience! I want to capture it and bake it into a quiche!
Image Please don't.

VIDEO

Image I touched up the headquarters of L Corp, the center of it, for my own use. I have no comment to make on the Distortion Phenomenon that apparently started occurring afterwards. I have little to no information about that phenomenon, either. Though I do have a guess.
Image Whoa, that came outta nowhere…

Image You were curious about it earlier, weren’t you? I was created as a mechanical secretary to assist the manager of Lobotomy Corporation. I was designed to look like a human, feel emotions, and make evaluations and judgements based on those emotions. It’s as you suspected; I was born in secret, violating the AI Ethics Amendment.

Image I never got to make my own judgement, funnily enough. I had to read the same script over and over for one million years, all for the success of a single project. The play that never seemed to end finally concluded one day, and… And…

Image I don’t know who came up with that insane plan, but thanks to them, the Distortion Phenomenon started wreaking havoc on the City at random intervals. Ordinary people would turn into monsters all of a sudden. And they’d kill everything in sight.

Image And the first ever case of the Distortion, boy, was that a hellscape. It happened without any oncoming sign in a District that everyone believed to be relatively safe. The massacre was a work of art, too. It was named ‘The Pianist’ for a reason. What more could I say.

Image Anyway, thanks for telling me all that. Must have been a sensitive topic to you.

Image You aren’t as shocked as I expected.

Image The monsters created from the Distortion did give off a suspiciously similar vibe to this library and its caretakers. You must’ve gone through a whole lot of distress in your life.

Image …You can use this book. I tried writing down the relationship between L Corp. and the Distortion phenomenon. It should be quite valuable to them under these circumstances.

The Book of Distortion is the book Angela just referred to. It's a special book, which can be lost like any other but will come back automatically after we clear any reception successfully. Unlike most books, it cannot be burned to get new stuff—it's only for bringing in new opponents.

And speaking of new opponents, it's also the key to unlocking Malkuth's next Abnormality Battle! You guys know what that means. :getin:

Image "Its memories began with a warm hug."

Image Our Shield Now.

Videos

Zwei Association 3

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looks like we're picking a fight with a bear!

Also the fanart post's been updated again. It was a productive evening. :unsmith:

How customizable are the Librarians? I noticed that Mr. Black’s lines were on-point. Can you pick what lines each one says? Is it from like, a selection screen or can you type them out? Is that a mod thing?

(I’m assuming it’s a mod thing)

If you click on the circled bit, you can type in whatever you want, and when you hit enter it'll save it. No mods required!

Oh that’s really neat!

I am curious to see if we'll get any future situations where we unlock an Abnormality battle that isn't the harder fight to play, where we'd see a coalition split between Narrativists like me who want to bring back more of the old crew, and the Warriors who just want our host fighting the toughest possible fights.

I couldn't say for sure what will happen, but I know for a fact that one of the harder fights in the game is an Abnormality right when unlocked, so most people get a few more fights done before facing them.

And I have already sketched a rough plan out for how to deal with them at base level, because there's no way in hell I'm dodging that bullet.