Ohhh... Library Battle SIMULATION: Let's Play Library of Ruina

Put your Let's Plays in here.
History—107.06—Happy Teddy Bear

Music: Lobby

Bishop and Malkuth are both running very quick-moving rushdown decks again, though with Malkuth having extra dice I've balanced her to have a different light curve than 3-or-bust.

Image Oh, hey, we match again!

Image I thought that these two bodies would have experience fighting alongside each other.

Image Is that why..? Well, I'm sure we'll be able to coordinate perfectly, then.

Image Of course. I'll follow your lead, ma'am.

Image It's time to face your second Abnormality, Malkuth.

Image Let's hope it's a bit less rough than mine, at least.

Image Roland, yours couldn't even move when we first met it.
Image ...Ah.

Image Do your best, Malkuth!

Image Don't fail.

Image Leave it to me!

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle01
Image Hold on a second… was this Abnormality in the facility when you were working?

Image It... wasn't, ma'am. Still, I remember it.
Image Huh… that's strange. Maybe you watched a video on it?

Image ...Maybe… But that doesn't feel quite like it…

Image Well, it doesn't matter! Right now, we need to focus on the enemy in front of us.
Image Ma'am!
Happy Teddy Bear wrote: Image Would you like to play with me? I was too lonely.

Image It’s okay. Don’t be afraid. We’re just playing together.

Image Don’t you want to feel this fuzzy and warm feeling?

Image It’d be so nice if you could hold my hand and dance with me…

Image You’re the only one I want to talk with…

Image Don’t hit me, please… I’m already worn and torn, my cotton stuffing is sticking out everywhere.
Like with all Abnormalities, the first thing we want to do is check on its passives and the pages it's using.

First off, we'll talk about the page it's playing. Timid Endearment is 1 of 2 different 0-cost pages it can use. It doesn't really have the ability to deal any damage, but has a pair of powerful defense dice.

The other page, Display of Affection, is a purely offensive page capable of dealing actual damage. Happy Teddy Bear has custom dialogue when using it.
Happy Teddy Bear wrote: Image I’m so happy that you’re playing with me.

Image You’re a kind one, aren’t you? Let’s do it again, okay?

Image You were so eager to play with me. I’m touched…
After some testing, it seems to have a ~50% chance of playing either page on any given turn, and I wasn't able to find a pattern to it. Lastly, we'll talk about the page mentioned in its passive ability.

Happy Teddy Bear's passive lowers the cost of this page by 1 each time it's involved in a clash. As it's a 5-cost page, this means it'll take 3 clashes to be reduced to a playable 2-cost page. There's special dialogue for when this page is being used, too.
Happy Teddy Bear wrote: Image Come over here and feel this fuzzy and warm feeling of love with my hug.

Image Everyone loves hugs.

Image Don’t worry. It’s nothing scary. All I do is wrap you up in my arms.
Anyways, once this page comes out Happy Teddy Bear will always use it if able. It will always Stagger on hit, so Happy Teddy Bear will always have 2 Light after Staggering our Librarians to use it again. Needless to say, once we see this page it will result in a very quick loss unless we can somehow stagger Happy Teddy Bear that same turn.

Those are the rules of Happy Teddy Bear: Don't clash, and slowly whittle it down when able. We're basically going to be ignoring them. :getin:

Malkuth and Bishop are both going to start off by firing 3-cost pages at the Bear.

Its attack will definitely go first due to its guaranteed 10 Speed Die, and this adds the two block dice to its defense queue.

This means that targeting it with anyone on Timid Endearment turns causes a clash.

Image I've opened it up!

Image And I'll shut it down!

Rampage, meanwhile, remains an amazing page for damage due to having three attacks. Happy Teddy Bear is weakest against Slash dice, but with only Normal resistances otherwise any die is fine.

That trio of hearts appearing over its head is the indicator that we've clashed with it. Thankfully, its passive only seems to reduce the cost once a turn, so we're still doing fine.

I also noticed that last turn Malkuth and Bishop were both tied on speed dice, and Malkuth went first. This means that if we want Bishop to move first, he'll need a higher Speed die. Since Malkuth is throwing out a Retaliate and Bishop needs the clashes to restore his Light, this is our best possible turn.

Image All set up, Malkuth!

Image I think we're almost there! Just another push!

While we get our first Abnormality page, this fight tends to be over too quickly for them to really give much additional advantage. I go with Ashes because I like it more.

On Scene 3, Malkuth is the one to use Deflect to eat the two block dice, and Bishop goes for another Rampage.

Image Alright, he's open!

Image Great! I knew you'd do it.

Image We'd do it.

Image Of course. I did work hard, too.

We hit Matchlight after this turn, but it doesn't matter.

The Bear is staggered, with only 2 HP and 2 Burn. We could do nothing and still win this turn. So for the first time all LP…

I press P.

I press space.

And we win.

Image Ah, sorry, did you want that kill?

Image It's fine. You're the one who always had to work with the Abnormalities. It's only right that you finish it off.

Image Thanks… that's really sweet.

Image Huh, really?

Happy Teddy Bear is, in theory, an exercise in knowing how to avoid clashes and slowly chipping away at it. In practice, however, it's incredibly vulnerable to being rushed down and beaten before it can get its gimmick off.

VIDEO
Music: MalkuthStory

Image By the way, I told you before that this is my third life, right?

Image Oh, yeah. You been thinking about your previous lives? By the way, I heard from Angela that this place is related to Lobotomy Corporation somehow. Is that really true?

Image It’s not just “related somehow”. I was an AI in charge of the Control Team in Lobotomy Corporation.
Image AI? As in artificial intelligence? Hoooold on a sec. You’re an AI? Just like Angela?

Image …Sorry, my wording was a little off. I wasn’t a real AI. I was a human whose brain was restored for a second chance, if anything.

Image You mean the institution that manages the City?

Image Yepper, that Head. They usually like to stay awfully quiet, but when they do have work, they’re scarily thorough and quick about it. Or so I’ve heard, y’know?

Image You’re so casual, aren’t you? I thought we were having a serious conversation here.

Image Oh, whoops. Sorry. I’ve gone through all kinds of stuff, so my priorities tend to be a bit unusual. It’s not like I was trying to ignore what you were saying or anything, Malkuth. I’m sorry if it made you feel bad.

Image You have a rather unique personality, Roland.

Image It was all part of my survival strategy. Anyway, back to your past. You said you used to be the boss of the Control Team back in Lobotomy Corp, right?

Image That’s right. And now I’m in charge of history here, as you can see. So I started out by tracing back in my own history. Very, very slowly.

Image Would you like to have a listen?

:allears:
Image Hey, don’t be such a mood killer! You’re supposed to agree here!

Image Well, why bother asking if you’re going to tell me the story anyway?!
Image Hahaha. You know what, you got me there.

Image Anyways, I was ordered to work in Lobotomy Corp. as the head of the Control Team, bearing all my flaws. I was given a role to play as soon as I woke up.

Image Not realizing who I truly was… But with my heart still aching from the unresolved pain and regret from my past, almost about to burst. Just like that, I kept doing inhumane acts for Lobotomy Corp. I didn’t even question what I was doing since it was all just work to me. It felt like a calling, even. The only thing guiding me was a vague feeling that something went wrong because I didn’t try hard enough. My twisted sense of effort pushed many into peril. I forced others into following my selfish standards, like a fretful child.

Image Must have been rough for you. Being told to work like that without knowing what you were getting into. Did your memories naturally come back after working in Lobotomy Corp. for a while, or…?

Image Hmm, it’s more like… It’d be more correct to say I was reminded of them! My life at Lobotomy Corp. was actually my second. And when my emotions finally erupted while working there, I could remember my first life.

Image All the mistakes and faults I had made… And regret. I could understand why I had been so obsessed with trying hard. Turns out what I really wanted was recognition. “Look, I’m trying so hard. I’m a useful person.” I never knew how to stand up without leaning on someone else.

Image After I vented out all of my emotions, the inner struggle that had been haunting me for so long finally dissolved. I found redemption for my first life during my second life.

Image I guess that’s one way to put it.

Image Hold on for a moment. Let’s say that everything else makes sense since it’s the City we’re talking about.

Image But who revived you, and for what reason? Just to give you that enlightenment?

Image Maybe. So that I can let out all of my resentment and sorrow… That I can find redemption.

Music: StorySimgak

Image Whoa! Geez, you scared me for a sec. Were you listening to all of this?

Image Your salvation was never in his interests.

Image He only did it as a means to find his own redemption. I wasn’t the one using you. It was him; he used all of you just to satisfy himself.

Image Sigh… I can’t bear to hear any more of this nonsense.

Image Angela…

Music: StoryJinji

Oh, it's been a while since we've seen these forms! I won't be updating their icons, but throughout this part each of their titles describes them as either 'AI Secretary' or their team's Sephirah.

Image …What’s with those faces? It’s the rest you all longed for.

Image We can’t let you do that! We’ve worked so hard to make this happen!

Image Worked hard… How funny. Would you really call what you’ve done “hard work”?

Image We’re not going to sit still and let you take away our light.

Image “Our” light?

Image You’re not the boss. And I would never listen to you even if you were.

Image Of course you won’t. You’re still loyal to that man.

Image I won’t let you rob me of the meaning I finally found.

Image Do not feel so lonesome, now. I shall stand by your side if no one else wills to.

Image Damn it! Binah… Even in the end, you’re…

Image This must be yet another consequence of his actions. I simply acknowledge all events as valid.

Image I would have shed a tear of gratitude for you if I could.

Image Feel free to act upon your wishes.

Image Angela… A machine consumed by desires… You cannot take this path!

Image I decide what I can or can’t do now.

Image Aren’t you interested in learning more about yourself or living your own life?

Image My life… It was to save humanity…! That’s why I could willingly sacrifice my life! It was for a greater cause!

Image …What a bunch of idiots.

Music: MalkuthStory

Image I gave away my two previous lives trying to save people. And I’m willing to do it again for a third time. We withstood all those hardships and trials for the sake of humanity!

Image Do we look like idiots to you, too, Roland?

Image Hmm… Well, it’s not like I know enough of the details. Don’t get this whole “saving humanity” thing, either. But if that’s what you sincerely hoped for, who am I to judge?

Image Of course I’m sincere! I… …Please leave me be for a bit. I need some time to think.

Image Alright, you do look like you need some rest. Remember, deep breaths, okay? Oh, and you don’t have to be too courteous with me when we talk, just thought I’d let ya know.

Image …Yeah.

For winning, we get the usual rewards and our next batch of assignments.

It's nothing but books this time, but it'll be a while before we see any of them.

As for Happy Teddy Bear's pages, they're a strong bunch. Nostalgic Embrace of the Old Days is likely the weakest of the three, having a slight chance to deal bonus Stagger damage to a foe when winning a clash. It's not the worst effect, but the other two are so stacked that it simply doesn't compare.

Happy Memories is a very good page which has a number of dedicated strategies built around its effect. This early in the game it's very difficult to do much with as we don't have any ways to get through our deck and play the same page multiple times. As we gain access to pages that let us burn through our deck more quickly this page becomes better and better until the endgame when… well, I'll show it off when we get there. :getin:

Lastly there's Display of Affection, which is just good. Because clashes are the most important time to have a bonus to Power, the +1-2 there is well worth losing 1-2 in one-sided attacks. They don't count, after all.

Image Malkuth's new librarian is coming. I would expect her to be here by now...

Image She needs to think. I'm sure she'll be here in time. In the meanwhile, I had a question for you.

Image I know you can hear me, you know. There's no way you couldn't. After all, you heard that conversation from the boss even though you weren't there.

Image It's simple enough, really: How'd I manage to remember an Abnormality I never even met? I thought it might have been one of those training videos, but I very distinctly remember that hug. No context for it, but isn't that even more strange?

Image Look, there are two ways that this can go. Either you tell me what's going on, or I find it out myself. We both know you can't take any actions against me, because that'd break your little 'No caring about the peons' rule.

Image I know you know what's going on. Answer me.
Image Ma'am, everything alright?

Image I'm fine. Is something the matter?

Image Well, it's just that you're being interrogated by that kid from History.
Image Oh, was I? Well, to whomever you are: I don't care.
Image I know you can hear me, you damn—

Image Alright, I'm here. Sorry, Roland. I'm all better now.

Image Don't worry about it. So, any ideas who we're going to be seeing?

Image Judging by our path far, it'd be one of Bishop's subordinates on the Control Team…

Image Subordinates? Ah, right, you were the captain. Then does that mean Steve was..?

Image I worked with Zaida in the Architecture Team. As for our newbie, it'll probably be Chinely or Omni.

Image Honestly, it'll be good to have one of them back. They'll definitely get a kick out of this situation.

Image Right? They were two of our best workers, too…

Image The process is complete. Please welcome your new team member.

Image I've returned to help! Please, hold your rejoicing~

Image So… is that Chinely, or Omni?

Image Those two anime-addicted guys? Huhuhu… I mean, they're fine and all, if you prefer that kind of help… but compared to what the great Dimi can offer, they're like candles in a fan! No… a storm!

Image Uh...huh.
Image Oh no...

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Image Our Shield Now.

Videos

Malkuth 3

Book 14: Zwei Association 3—Chapter 1

Image Not it.

Image I haven't even said anything yet.

Image It's about time for you to send one of us out to kill more people. Not us this time.

Image ...I will consider your statement once I've sent the invitation and seen who we'll be greeting as guests.

Image That's the best I'm going to get, isn't it..?

Image Every one of you simply wants everything handed to you… Enough. I have work to do.

VIDEO

Image From the information we’ve gathered so far, it’s the accumulation of knowledge.

Image Accumulation of knowledge, you say…

Image The Library simply offers a deal. It has no influence on the outside world; it only rewards or punishes those who have entered. The winner can get the books they want, and the loser becomes a book that the Library wants…

Image Any linkage to the Distortion phenomenon?

Image That… is unclear, sir. But my instincts suggest that it has to be related to the phenomenon somehow.

Image And why is that?

Image A common feature is that it’s impossible to observe them for an analysis of their constituents or components. We cannot carry out a comparative analysis because of this, but this inability to observe itself can be considered a common trait.

Image It’s not like you to make such baseless claims, is it? Section 6 will not needlessly obsess over the Library. There is simply too much uncertainty for us to recklessly jump into the case. The Zwei Association gets hundreds of requests every day. A fair number of them are allocated to us at Section 6. I’m sure you understand that your claims are not compelling enough to make us give up all these requests in favor of the Library.

Image I am aware, sir.

Image And yet here you are, requesting additional manpower for investigating the Library. Are you sure you aren’t simply using the alleged linkage to the Distortion as an excuse to get your revenge on the Library or retrieve the books of your colleagues?
Image ……

Image And there are yet more insane individuals looming over the city, no? And our duty is to protect our clients from such shade in the City, is it not?

Image …You’re right, sir.

Image Remember the slogan of our association?

Image "Your shield", sir.

Image Exactly. Our role is to be a trusty shield for our client. So don’t put down that shield without good reason, got it? You may leave now.

Image …Will do.
Image Isadora?

Image Yes?

Image No, sir. I haven’t received any new invitations yet.

Image What is the current risk level of the Library…?

Image It’s currently resting at the Urban Legend-class, but it has been slowly rising with every new report.

Image Now I see… The Book of Distortion, is it…

Image They’ve been using irresistible bait like this to attract their victims, haven’t they?

Image I simply offered them what they needed the most at the moment. I am better than anyone at understanding the situation at hand and coming up with an appropriate response.

Image Precisely, ma’am. You surely did come up with a perfect solution to lure out the Zwei.

Image Heck, if you can print out books right away, wouldn’t it be nicer to just make a whole lot of ‘em ourselves?

Image I can only write books about the things I know. I need more time to write another one, too.

Image Oh, I see… So, can I ask for your publications from time to time, then?

Image I am willing to cooperate, since you’re doing your job as my assistant. Just don’t pester me too much.

Image Sure thing, ma’am~ A mere servant such as I wouldn’t dare commit such atrocity as bothering our mistress Angela, oh no.

Image Do you think this will work out well?

Image The director of a section in an Association like the Zwei should be more than enough as our next step. The information he holds has got to be on a whole ‘nother level from what we’ve collected so far.

Music: Entrance

Image You’re right, sir.

Image If we can get this case resolved, we can finally get out of Section 6. It’s nice to be finally collecting information about the Distortion directly from the source instead of having to get my hands dirty engaging with those lowly Syndicates. Neither of us should rot in Section 6 for the rest of our lives, wouldn’t you agree?

Image Yes…

Image We can have revenge for your colleagues, get a lead on the Distortion Phenomenon, and aim for a higher position all at the same time. How fascinating is that?

Image …Everything seems to fall into place too conveniently.

Image You must be Angela. Director and librarian of your role’s namesake, right?

Image Indeed, it’s just as you said.

Image I’ve seen reports about you, but is it true that you are a machine, not a human?

Image You’ve made quite a huge deal out of your little library. It’s rather troublesome to have a non-human like you cause a fuss this big, you know?

Image Sir, I don’t think we should provoke her any further…

Image May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: A fervent beatsdown of the Zwei.

Videos

Zwei Association 4

Image HAHAHAHAHA! Always good to see another smiling face around here!

Image Yes, and my face is the best of all~ Ah, I can't wait to get back to work—things must have been about to fall apart without me here to hold it all together.

Image I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Why, the people make such delightful noises when they die and turn into books!
Image That sounds positively… wait, people?

Image Yes, didn't you know? We fight people here, and turn their smiles into books to preserve that happiness forever!
Image Ah… that's… great! Of course, I know all there is to know about murdering my fellow man as well. Definitely have done a lot of that in my day… they can just leave it all to Dimi. Those chumps won't stand a chance!

Image Good, good! It's great to have someone truly powerful and confident here! Why, I've died in combat already! The pain… it was delectable! I haven't smiled so widely in years!

Image D-die? We die here, too?
Image Why wouldn't we? They're battles to the death, after all! HAHAHA!

Image Yes… That… um… o-of course I have this well in hand! I just… need to powder my nose. I'll just go take care of that, and then right to slaying everyone with my incredible, unending prowess!

Image HAHA! That's the spirit!

Dimi is a gem. Walter is decidedly less of a gem, and I relished beating him up very much. Especially since his page is pretty good, though I'll leave the specifics of that for later.

Wow, Walter must be outright suicidal, if perhaps subconsciously. Not only does he dive headlong into the jaws of the Library with the merest hint of promotion material, after lecturing Isadora on what a waste it would be, he immediately recites an Ayin quote Angela loathes to her face. Isadora was the one that called for backup in the first place, and she can see that something's wrong. Oh well, books for the book abnormality.

Ambition is a hell of a drug. Throw in some desperation, and Bob's your Uncle.

Walter being awful to Angela isn't nice, but 1) lots of people are dying due to Angela's lures, and 2) he's no where near the level of cannibal chef who "seasons" their fresh human meat with torture and fear. Thus far, he's less of a gem, but doesn't seem to be particularly that bad compared to who's come before - unless something is revealed later on why his defeat would be particularly delicious. So to speak.

Book 14: Zwei Association 3—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Image Looks like we're finally up again. Everyone's sober, right?

Image Ready to go on my end.

Image Steve, did you ever figure out how you wanted to fight?

Image I wasn't sure what to go with, so in the end I went with ol' reliable: Hitting people really hard with a bat!

While Zaida and Roland both have largely defensive builds, Steve's using something more offense oriented. Guardian's his 1-cost option because it powers up everyone else's defensive dice.

Today's reception is a 2-Act battle with us having a maximum of 2 floors available—our very first truly fair fight. The first wave is another trio of Zwei with one blue leader and two green underlings.

Music: KeterBattle01

We've done this exact fight twice already, so I'll just cover some highlights.

Roland clashes Retaliate vs Retaliate. Since the base Zwei page is Weak/Fatal to Piercing, this could have been bad—instead he just wins both rolls and Staggers the other guy.

Zaida also takes some damage from an enemy Retaliate.

So she gets the Heart to heal some of it off.

Steve downs his first guest in Scene 3.

I realize that E-endure is kind of terrible against these guys due to their resistance to Blunt damage.

And I go with Pulsation, to up our offensive abilities.

Music: KeterBattle02

Image I'm really feeling it… wait, I'm not feeling anything yet.

Image Maybe give it a minute?

Image Oh, so it's one of those delayed gratification things. That's... not great.

While Abnormality pages are picked between rounds, it's after the point where end-of-turn effects kick on. This means that our first turn under Pulsation doesn't give us any Strength, but the negative effect still applies if we fail to deal damage. :lobcorp:

Despite being the one with actual offensive dice, Steve is the only one to fail to harm his opponent, and he loses 25% of his HP at the end of the turn.

Once our Strength comes online, though, the Zwei have no chance.

Steve sets up the last one…

And Roland finishes them off.

Image Hey, that went pretty smooth!

Image Is there time for a break before the next round?

Image Sorry, not my call.

Act 2 puts us up against our main opponents. The third Zwei is another of the green flunkies, but the other two…

Isadora isn't too bad—trading the HP healing passive for one that deals bonus Stagger damage—but Walter is our first opponent with a Speed passive. This means we're going to have 4 dice coming at our 3.

Image I think I'm missing a kidney…

Image Eh, walk it off. I nearly lost a scythe and you don't see me crying. :what:

Image Your team seems to still be operating within acceptable parameters.

Image Why thank you, ma'am~ Seems like the others took a bit of a beating, though.

Image Regardless, I'll entrust the rest of the reception to you. Handle it.

Music: KeterBattle02

Image Isadora. Keep your guard up.

Image Yes sir.

Image Welcome, guests. We'll be your ordeal this evening.

Image Stop joking around. This is a fight to the death, isn't it? And that uniform of yours is a reminder of what happens to us should we fall.

Image Don't get so paranoid! I just happen to like this sword a bit, is all.

Image Didn't you wear that other kid's body to—

Image Listen, that stuff only works with amateurs and sentimental types. There's no way I'd try it here.
Image Enough whispering! Draw your blades, men!

Image Sir!

Just some basic clashes. Since we're not using Mars, Isadora's attack gets to go through uncontested. Nothing we can do about that. :shrug:

Image That body's from one of the Hook Office, isn't it?

Image What's it matter?

Image My men have fought the Hook Office a few times. Brutal tactics like theirs should—

Image I've got the body, not the tactics. Going all out like that's too high energy for me.
Image As I thought from watching the first round...

Image And you… that's our tactics.

Image Begging your pardon, sir… that's simply how things work around here.

Image You're both defensive specialists… but if it's a fight of endurance, I'm certain we can't lose.

Image Hey, boss..!

Image Ahh, hell.

Image Their offensive specialist is on his last legs, sir!

Image What the—did we just get juked?

Image We just got juked.

Image Blame it on your own inexperience.

Because our Emotion Level was already at 3 at the end of the last fight, our final Abnormality Page comes up this turn. On levels 3 and 4, the level 2 Abnormality Pages show up—giving us two options. Given that Steve is likely to die no matter what we do, this is actually an ideal situation to use Fervent Beats.

Image It's the only way. If this drags out, I'm dead regardless… give me the power. I can take it.

Image Until your heart explodes, anyways.

The librarian under the effect of Fervent Beats gets a beating heart attached to them, which we'll be able to see better once the fighting starts.

Image Sir, something's strange about the one we targeted.

Image Observe for now, and focus on the quiet one. If he's going to blow, we don't want to be near it.

Walter's Suppress is a 2-cost page with dice rolls close to Strong Strike, a 3-cost we saw last tier. It's very good, but Retaliate with our +1 Strength from Pulsation should break in our favor overall.

Blade Whirl, meanwhile, is Isadora's unique page for this battle. Its first two hits are decent dice that give out a pair of status effects, but this is really a Power-stacking target like C-chop it Off! before it.

Steve is going for a one-sided attack with Strong Strike, which should be overkill given Walter's resistances. This turn's going to suck for Zaida a little bit, but that's life.

Image I'm going to make you pay for what you did to San and Julia!
Image I didn't do anything to them, though?

Image They came in here and died!

Image Yeah, on a different floor.

Image You're still working with the killers, so it's—

Image Hey! That was a cheap shot, you little..!

Image Sorry. I just wanted you to stop talking.

:v: Don't worry, Miss Isadora, I have your back!

Image Thanks…

Image Geez..! Right in the gut?

Image I told you, boy. Zwei Association is the ultimate shield. Every move you make I can see right through.

Image Guess that's true…

Image But any shield breaks if you hit it hard enough.
Image You... lured me in…

Image "Blame it on your own inexperience," right?

Image Nnghh…

Image Sir! Don't worry, I'll protect you!

Image You won't get the chance!

Look at that 22 damage. That was on a minimum roll. :allears:

Image One down. Who's next?

Image That heart's giving you a hell of a powerup, huh?

Image It's exhilarating. I can hear my heart beating in my ears, and every thrum is pure power.

At this point, the fight has entered mopup mode. Neither one of the remaining pair has enough offensive presence to take out our Librarians.

Combat Preparations is the other new page in this reception. The 2 Endurance it grants all party members is invaluable when using defensive-heavy decks, but it's coming out too late to change the flow of this fight.

The others target the add-on. Because having her allies die will raise Isadora's Emotion Level and I want more copies of her book, this is the best order to handle things in.

Image That power… it's overwhelming. Who are you?!

Image I'm just a normal guy, driven into a corner.

Image Is that so…

Steve knocks off half her HP in a single clash.

Roland knocks the other enemy for a loop…

And E-endure remains a very bad page for this reception.

Image This is the last turn… I can feel it, about to blow.

Image It's gonna be tight…

Image We'll just do what we can.

One last set of pages—Steve should be enough to handle Isadora, and Roland and Zaida might be able to clear the last one out.

Image One enemy on a platter for you, boss.

Image It's done.

Steve staggers Isadora, and she's at 2 HP with 3 Burn. She's gone at end of turn.

Image ...I did it.

Image Did what? You're about to die.

Image I know that. But… I heard you guys talking about your heart exploding. From the second Walter died, I was dead… I knew that. But still…

Image I may burn, but I've taken one of you down with me.

Image Damn… We were too late. :sigh:

Image Sucks, but that's the job. Let's clean up and get moving.

While Zwei 3 is our first battle where the enemy has two speed dice, Walter is relatively fragile in practice—and his lack of draw power means that he'll quickly run out of pages to play if he stays alive for more than a few turns anyways.

Music: Result

Image How you feeling?
Image Like spikes are thrusting into every part of my head… But I'll take it, all told.

Image I guess that lady didn't realize we just come back, huh?

Image People normally die when they're killed. We're just an exception. Where's the boss?

Image Angela called him. Probably wanted to talk. Anyways, you're alive. And I'm out.

VIDEO

Image Boy, not that topic again…

Image Someone I used to know loved to say that phrase.

Image Like I told you before, making machines with emotions or sapience is forbidden. Even if one were to be made, the Head has long settled the ethical implications and all that. That means they’ve decided on a solid answer for the long-standing question: “How is a machine with emotions different from a human?”. Their answer being: “Even if a machine carries emotions and intelligence, and is nearly identical to a human in every aspect, it is still a machine by birth. Machines should always be below humans…”

Image In short, “Machines are machines, and humans are humans. Machines exist solely to serve humans.” is what they’re saying. That’s the mindset people in the City decided to have.

Image Where would human brains stuffed in heaps of scrap metal belong?

Image Those would still technically count as humans. Some might consider them “defiled”, and others might look down on them, but the brains themselves are natural. You get what I’m saying?

Image What about an electronic copy of a human brain?

Image That… would be a machine. Since it’s not “born” human. To be frank, I don’t really get these standards, either.

Image I guess birthright matters to them the most. Maybe it’s a defensive reaction born out of the urge to “preserve” humanity as a species.

Image …That’s unfair.

Image Nothing is ever fair in this world.

Image You’re right, it seems everyone lives with a share of unfairness they must bear.

Image Now you’re talking like a City dweller.

Image By the way… I've written another book.

Image Oh? And what knowledge have you seen fit to provide today, ma'am?

Image I've written a book about Lobotomy Corporation itself. Using this, I assume we can get additional guests.

This book shows up after we beat Zwei 3, and follows the same rules as the Book of Distortion we got earlier.

Acquiring the Book of Walter opens up Yesod's next Abnormality Battle, as well. And on top of that…

It seems there's a branch in the path! The days of being on rails are almost over—this is about where Library of Ruina begins to open up a little bit, and that means it's time for another poll.

Image "Blood covers the whole floor, screams echo, people are running away..."

Image It's! About! Sending! A damn! Message!

Image A Drunk on a Train.

Videos

Zwei Association 5

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

This is the only time I will ever vote for anything that isn't an abnormality battle when there's one available. One of these options opens up an avenue to a stupid card that doesn't really do good in battle and isn't really good to have in most decks, but is really, really funny.

Appendix 8: Zwei Association
A Zwei Fixer’s Page wrote: Is there a person or a group dedicated to stopping violence or murder in the Backstreets? Not quite. You’re on your own, unless you have the money to hire Fixers. Protection isn’t some volunteer service you can get for free. Fixers risk their lives for it, it’ll take our lives’ worth of money to get motivated to work. We aren’t robots. If you’re so afraid, why don’t you hire Fixers or move to a Nest. You’re free from all outside threats when you live in a Nest. Unless the Nest falls, of course.

Zwei Association is your shield. We protect you, your family, and your home from Syndicates of the Backstreets or crazed murderers. If you have the wealth to make a direct request to the Association, that is. Without due payment, the Association will not move.

Do you believe our request fee is too expensive, and you would rather request a Syndicate? Hmm… While making a request to a Syndicate is an option… We don’t recommend it. The reason is obvious. No organization in the City that operates without abiding formal procedures can be trusted.

Associate Fixers are classified into multiple levels, too. From Section 1, which is the apex, to Section 6, the bottom… There’s a world of difference in the salaries and treatment they get. I guess that’s because they’re much more experienced than us… If I keep trying hard, then maybe I’ll be able to join Section 5 someday!

It’s not an easy feat to get out of Section 6, of course…. It takes a huge effort, or perhaps something that can’t be accomplished with effort alone. I’m a fresh member here, so there’s still a lot for me to learn… Still, I’m gonna pick up experience as I resolve the missions assigned to me, and I’ll probably figure out what to do in time.

The Zwei tends to be more defensive than other Associations or Offices. Our main purpose is not to fight and win, but rather to ensure the safety of our clients. We don’t perpetrate unnecessary killings in our duty of protecting people.

Thus, if you’re looking to make a request for someone’s death, we recommend seeking other Associations for it.
San’s Page wrote: An associate Office is one that is in a cooperative relationship with one of the Associations. The advantage of this designation is that its Fixers will not have to worry about starving, since they’re paid a stable salary… And that the Office simply has to handle tasks given by the Association with proficiency, rather than having to deal with clients and accept their requests as ordinary Offices do. Spending days without any incident happening in the area designated for peacekeeping can be admittedly boring… Though it’s a blessing to have such a peaceful day in the City. I was grateful to have such serenity each day, reasoning with Lulu’s occasional complaints.

Is boredom the only downside of being an associate Office? That’s not quite true. Because we’re under the direct command of the Association, we’re forced to take on any undesirable tasks they give. Even if it carries the risk of wiping out the Office…

…I can’t blame the Association, so I only have myself to fault for failing to save my guys.
Julia’s Page wrote:I still remember the day when the three of us met for the first time. It was when I joined my previous Office.

I was actually scared back then. It was the first workplace I was assigned to just after I became a Fixer. I was hesitating in front of the glass door, wondering whether I should go in or wait for someone to open it, but then I heard a sound coming from inside. Two people arguing with each other… I decided to get close to the door and eavesdrop on them.

“How tight did the bonds between our fates have to be to lead us here… Sigh…”

“I mean, both you and I are first timers, isn’t it reassuring to be with a familiar face?”

“Not at all! When is this Julia person coming, anyway? Don’t tell me she got disappointed by your pathetic impression and went back already.”

“She’s not coming in because she’s intimidated by your facial expression.”

She gave me a glance, turned back to the tall person with an even fiercer gaze than moments ago, then kicked him in the shin and came striding along towards me. The tall person followed, rubbing his shin. As the person with pigtails got closer and closer, I found myself stepping backward, even though I knew I should be saying hello to her… Soon, the chime on the door rang as it opened up, and we stood still for a few seconds like that, not one of us saying a single word. I don’t know why, but it was so funny to me that she was puckering her lips, just as hesitant to speak as I was, so I burst out laughing.
Walter’s Page wrote: The Associations handle requests often made for Fixers such as security, combat, assassination, intel, patenting, and trades. When there is money, there are Associations. The Associations follow the demand, not the other way around. Demand equals requests, and requests equals profit.

It may seem too materialistic to you, but seeing how the Associations work, you’ll have to agree that money is their prime objective. For instance, the Associations sort and classify every single notable event in the City. Urban Myths, Urban Legends, Urban Plagues, Urban Nightmares, and Stars of the City… Risk is not what determines their grade. The only question that matters is how much people are willing to pay to have the threat eliminated.
Isadora’s Page wrote: San and Julia are old Fixer friends of mine. And San’s from the streets of District 21, the same place I grew up in. This is a secret I’ve only told Julia, but San actually used to be a huge coward. It’s probably not that surprising to you since he still acts like a coward from time to time. Thinking about the old days makes me laugh, though? He’d always “train” himself so he “doesn’t lag behind” and end up getting scars on his face. And one time, he walked into a dark alleyway, saying exploration shouldn’t be a problem for a brave person even though his face was already full of fear, and then ran back to me in less than a minute.

We almost got into serious danger one time. The two of us were hanging out until after dark, and ran into something nasty in a remote street. It happened when I was a little kid, so my memory of that is blurry… All I can remember is looking at San’s back, standing in front me holding a tree branch he hurriedly picked up. My heart was racing with fright, but looking at his shivering legs made me chuckle a little on the inside. I don’t really remember what happened after that, as I said.

Why am I bringing this up all of a sudden? I don’t know. I was just reminded of the old times seeing San kneel down for the sake of his Office juniors. He never changes, huh?
Last edited by TeeQueue on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think now's a good enough time to close the poll. Guess it's time to hear more from Yesod!

vulpixall wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:53 am
This is the only time I will ever vote for anything that isn't an abnormality battle when there's one available. One of these options opens up an avenue to a stupid card that doesn't really do good in battle and isn't really good to have in most decks, but is really, really funny.
I can think of quite a few pages that this exact quote applies to, and I'm planning on trying to find uses for all of them.

Because I'm a crazy person.

TeeQueue wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:36 pm
I can think of quite a few pages that this exact quote applies to, and I'm planning on trying to find uses for all of them.

Because I'm a crazy person.
Glad to hear this. We may have jank but :lobcorp:

Technological Sciences—208.41—All-Around Helper

Image Finally, someone who takes care of their attire.

Image You do look nice in uniform. Better than bandages, any day.

Image That was a different time. I no longer need them.

Image Hey, good for you.

Walter and Mars all but ensure our victory today by themselves—the combat pages we pick basically don't matter.

Image Let's get this farce over with.

Image This 'farce' is the key to your gaining the power you need to receive guests.

Image And if we didn't have this 'agreement,' I wouldn't need power.

Image But you'd still do it to help us worker bees wake up, right?

Image We'll never get a chance to find out.

Image Aww… Yesod…

Image He says it like that but there really isn't a question, is there?

Image No there isn't. :mmmhmm:
Image ...Just send us in already.

Image As you wish.

SNAP

Image Boss… we didn't have three of these things back in the day, right?

Image You know we didn't.

Image Then… what are we looking at?

Image This machine was originally based on a mass-produced house cleaner model by XX Inc, and these books simulate an idealized environment for the Abnormalities to exist. Thus…

Image In its ideal world, these things are everywhere.

Image It's good to see you still grasp things quickly.
All-Around Helper wrote: Image The helper-bot can help you with any household chores!

Image What kind of task do you want me to do? I can help with anything.

Image Contamination scan complete. Initiating cleaning protocol.<

Image Beebeebeep~ Beep. Contamination spotted! Proceeding with trash disposal protocol.

Image I will help you with my wide selection of tools.
Like with any Abnormality Battle, let's start by checking out the opponents.

All three Helpers have the same stats and deck, and the first page all three of them play is Charge. Its guaranteed 5-5 Block die is actually an obstacle we find difficult to go over, and it's not a bad idea to simply ignore this page whenever it comes up. If we have to ram into it, it's best to do so by having both of our Librarians target just one charging Helper.

I decide I want Emotion Levels more than I care about avoiding a Stagger beating, so I ignore my own advice. :v:

Image The protocol for these enemies wasn't to attack while they were charging, as I recall.

Image We usually hid in an elevator while it charged, then hit it after it stopped. Given that this is a corri-no-doors, I think we'll have problems there.

Image We'll have to update our data, then. Any ideas?

Image Extreme violence?

Image That's barely an idea.

Image It's all I've got for ya, Yesod.

Image ...We'll give it a shot. The enemy's fully charged, so there's no time to think of another option.

Image It always did like flinging itself full-body at us right after, huh?

Image Indeed.

When their Light is full, the All-Around Helpers use their only offensive page, Clean.

Charge gives each of the Helpers +4 Strength, making this die actually a 10-10 roll—not something that we're likely to be able to stop with the pages we have access to right now. Worse, if this hits without any damage mitigation it'll deal the 10 damage required to activate their passive and let them regain 1 Light. This lets them use it multiple scenes in a row, albeit only for 6 damage from the second time onward.

I line up a set of clashes that will keep the damage below 10, not realizing that I'd already negated the gimmick of this fight back in Key Page selection.

Image ...That barely scratched me.

Image Guess we have the right resistance.

Both of our Key Pages resist Slash dice. This means that even if their attack hit us full force it'd deal only 5 damage, putting them well below the threshold to activate their passive. In a complete inversion of our first fight against Bloodbath, this time I've accidentally stumbled into a fight I basically can't lose.

I proceed to not realize this until the turn before we win. :shepface:

So long as we can blunt the blow of their offensive die through either a block die or having resistances, Clean turns are actually very good times to go on the offensive and pour on the damage.

On the next scene, the top two Helpers use Rest—the third and final custom page in this fight. It does nothing outside of having two small Block dice, and is effectively our invitation to go ham on them. Since D.A.D. needs to get to Emotion Level 2 and has low Stagger Resistance remaining, having them clash with one of these with an Evade die would be ideal to get them back into fighting form and grab us our last Abnormality page.

So we do that. :v:

D.A.D. recovers a good chunk of their stagger gauge…

While Yesod knocks the Helper into a Stagger.

Image Neither of us brought a lot of blunt attacks, did we..?

Image I'll take it. I've got one on me right now. Besides, the ringing in my head doesn't feel much different than talking to that rogue AI.

Image Heh. Good one, boss. :mmmhmm:
Image I didn't tell any jokes.

Next is another Clean turn. Only the bottom Helper is able to hit a 10 on their die, but since they can't deal more than 5 damage there's nothing to worry about.

I block them anyways, because I still haven't figured this out. :shepface:

Our Endurance 4 from playing a pair of Combat Preparations last turn means Yesod barely takes any damage from the big Clean.

Meanwhile, some lucky rolls Stagger the middle Helper.

And Retaliate wipes out the first Helper. :getin:

Another Rest turn from the bottom Helper. Because we've already won this fight, here's an interesting tidbit instead of further strategic discussion: When the Helpers activate their Repetitive Pattern-Recognition passive, they get special lines on the next turn!
All-Around Helper wrote: Image When I’m done cleaning, people would always praise me!

Image They’re giving me orders with a loud voice. That means I’m doing a good job.

Image Beepboop~ Piii! Pattern data accumulated.

Image People love to shout when they compliment me.

ImageThe helper-bot has excellent learning capabilities.

Yesod fails to finish off the Staggered All-Around Helper...

And D.A.D. finishes off the other one on the next turn.

Image I'm about out of energy for the moment. Think you can..?

Image It shouldn't be any trouble.

And with a final Retaliate, the fight is over.

Image Three down, and we're both still standing. That's a clean sweep, alright. :mmmhmm:
Image …Mmn.

Like I said, we basically won this fight at Key Page selection. All-Around helper isn't a difficult fight, and it would have been even easier if we'd used Blunt pages to take advantage of their weakness to it. Just don't use Key Pages that are Weak/Fatal to Slash and there's no problem.

(As an aside, I sincerely apologize for giving this a Image, I remember them being much more difficult than this. :negative: )

VIDEO
Music: YesodStory

Image Oh, greetings, Angela’s lapdog.

Image Come on, still at it with that?

Image The books you brought me last time were interesting, to say the least. I learned that the technologies employed in the Backstreets were interwoven in a disorderly manner. From crude equipment made of junk, to clothes woven from antimatter. All kinds of technologies at various levels of advancement can be seen.

Image There’s cutting-edge tech out there, but only few get to benefit from it.

Image I assume wealth is the determining factor.

Image We’re in an era where rich people don’t have to worry about any disease. We have all sorts of cures now, too. Granted you have the cash to buy them. And then we have people playing God with those technologies called ‘Singularities’.

Image Aren’t you shameless. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to tell you.

Image Hey, stop treating me like an idiot. I’m not THAT stupid, you know?!

Image Lobotomy Corporation’s Singularity was physically manifesting the human mind, an abstract concept. Converting human emotions to physical energy, in the same vein as the Library. Human emotions can be interpreted as a complex mass. That mass is built up through experiences. When emotions are heightened enough, a page will be chosen. A spot is reserved for a person’s book; it is a comprehensive manifestation of their ego. As the battle becomes fiercer and the combatants get agitated, the egos will grow intense and allow their mental states to be physically expressed.

Image Physically manifesting the mind, huh~ …Certainly seems similar to the Distortion…

Image Oh, nothing. Just a bit of monologue. Anyway, uh, that sure sounds like a Singularity alright. Impressive indeed! You know, makes me wonder. Malkuth said you guys were part of a project that aimed to save humanity, right?
Image …That is true.

Image What kind of saving was that all about, really? Make money rain from the sky or something? That’d save everyone for sure.

Image It can’t be compared to such ridiculous nonsense. And you have no right to talk so lightly about the sacrifices we made.

Image Whoa, alright, calm down now. Sheesh, can’t even crack a joke around here.

Image We sought to cure the mind. Carmen was the leader of our research team. She said every person in the City had a diseased mind. And that the disease was so severe, humanity would slowly lead itself to self-destruction at this rate. She described the situation as no better than lemmings willingly jumping into a pit of fire.

Image And everyone agreed to what she said just like that?

Image And now you’re taking me for a fool. Of course there were quantitative indices to scientifically prove her claim.

Image I suppose it would be useless to describe them to you in detail.

Image Okay, egghead. Setting that aside… Did you guys succeed with that goal of saving humanity?

Image You never cease to annoy me. If we succeeded, we wouldn’t be here doing this.
Image Oh, yeah, fair point.

Image The fact that we failed to save humanity is not what makes me upset the most. We have committed countless sins. All in the name of a single righteous purpose: saving humanity. We convinced ourselves that we had no other choice. We performed unethical experiments, and knowingly drove employees to death in Lobotomy Corporation. We tolerated all those vile deeds for a greater good. But all of that is about to be for naught.

Image What will be made of their sacrifices?!

Image All the pain me and my colleagues endured… Angela ruined it all!

Image Fatigued already? What a shame, my employees and I are up for more.

Image Don’t be ridiculous. I’ll kill you for sure this time.

Image Binah! Not even you will manage to break through our combined effort.

Image You raise a valid concern. It is true, even I cannot stop all of you in such a short time. We will need to act quickly, Angela.

Image I was just about to do something about it.

Music: Second Trumpet

A warning klaxon sounds.

Image Aw, shucks! The Qliphoth Deterrence is being lowered. She’s overriding my authority on the system…

We get another blank screen next, with the sound of a THUD and howling.

Image The Abnormalities are breaching…

Image The Control Team will be in command now! Hokma and the Architecture Team, please stop Angela from taking over all the systems!

Image Gebura and the Disciplinary Team, please keep Binah at bay!

Image Hod and the Training Team, provide the employees with the right manual and information!

Image Please act accordingly to the following instructions!

Image Netzach and the Safety Team, please focus on treating the wounded.

Image Yesod and the Information Team, please identify the weaknesses of the escaping Abnormalities right away!

Image Chesed and the Welfare Team, please work on restoring the Qliphoth Deterrence as soon as possible.

Image No time to feel guilty, Chesed! Tiphereth and the Central Command Team, please support everyone with your resourcefulness!

Image It brings me joy to see you all act in such coordination. Now, try and stop us till the end.

Music: YesodStory

Image And the guilt we feel from compromising at the end.

Image You’re right, I won’t. All I care about is helping Angela. I want her to achieve her goal, y’know.

Image So you simply want the results, whatever the process may entail. You’re no different from Angela in that you only care about your own well-being. You’re despicable. A typical example of an inhabitant of the City, suffering from the disease of the mind. You use the technologies the City has to offer for your immediate convenience, not knowing or caring about the sacrifices those technologies were built upon. …Not knowing that you’re bringing about your own demise.

Image I should value the process more than the result? Hah, you were a bunch of dreamers and snobs all along. I bet you’re from one of the Nests. Look, I know better than anyone about the price of those technologies and Singularities.

Image Diseased mind my ass… And your point about people using Singularities without knowing how they really work?

Image That’s because they literally have no other option! The corporates have concealed so much the consumers eventually gave up inquiring. Because they’re tired! They’re already too busy sustaining their everyday life!

Image It appears that I’m not getting through to you.

Image Oh, what a coincidence. I was thinking the same thing, too.

Image No matter what you say, I do not want to turn a blind eye to this reality nor conform to it.

Image That damn pompous…

Image Back already? I thought you were delivering books.

Image Yeah, and I nearly lost my head for my trouble. Has that guy ever even pretended to have a hobby?

Image Yesod? He's played word chain before. The way I heard it, there were multiple casualties.
Image And he's coming here for a new librarian… I'm just going to hole up somewhere until he's back on his floor.

Image Grab a seat.

Our new assignments are all book-related, so it'll be a while before we come back to these.

As for Abnormality pages… Recharge is somewhat nice, giving us a boost whenever our Light is full at the start of a scene. This does count when our Emotion Level goes up, but as a level 2 page we won't see it right now until everyone is maxed. Once we gain access to pages that boost our light gain, this becomes a better pick.

Repetitive-Pattern Recognition is a decent Light gain option as long as the librarian who has it continually wins clashes. Yesod's floor is one of the best in the game for this purpose, so it's a decent pick right now and becomes better once we branch out into having more dice. As a side note, the Light refill mechanics mean that it's unlikely this page will actually be giving us any Light back until we're at least Emotion Level 3—before that, getting into 3 clashes will give us a full emotion level and refill our Light regardless.

Finally, Clean. Right now Clean is a powerful if situational page that gives us up to +3 Power on all offensive dice, depending on our speed vs the targeted dice. For the purposes of effects like this, Staggered dice have an effective speed of 0, making it also good for capitalizing on Staggered foes. While it's a decent pick right now, we'll want to keep it in mind for later. There are some shenanigans we can get up to with this thing late in the game, and they're glorious.

Image Are they ready yet?

Image The process is nearly complete.

Image Then I'm wasting my time here.

Image Ah, it's fine. We can wait a couple minutes.

Image ...Fine.

Image Well… this is some tension. What's going on?

Image We're getting a new member, and the ol' mummy's mad at Angela for obvious reasons.
Image Aha. Well, hope it goes better than ours. She's locked herself in a bathroom until we agree to meet her demands.
Image Demands?

Image Something about a theme song and network access.

Image Heh. Well good luck with that one, kiddo.

Image Yeah, you too.

Image Well, speak of the devil.

Image Welcome back, Kaori. We're leaving. Now.

Image You really should get over it already.

Image I will not.
Image Mmm… Did I come at a bad tiime..?

Image Just Yesod being his sunny self. You missed a few things, so I'll catch you up.

Image Okaay… I have soo many questionns…! Mmm… Where to staart..?

Image What part of 'leaving' was unclear? Come on.

Image Aaww… Ookaay…

Image A Drunk on a Train.
Last edited by TeeQueue on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I also remember this battle being a lot harder, but that's probably because I didn't bring Walter...

Looks like we're heading to a train in the Project Moon universe. What could go wrong? :v:

I for one am certain that all this tension between Angela and literally everyone else except Roland will not blow up in everyone’s face.

Nothing could ever go wrong when a train is involved. Definitely. 100%

I love D.A.D. They're awesome.

Oh Angela. What did you do? X worked so hard to break everyone free...

Book 15: Molar Office—Chapter 1

Image The second book I wrote seems to have been immediately useful.

Image Of course. Any information about a Wing is sure to be valuable, even if it's fallen.

Image Then all that's left is to receive the guests. Roland—
Image We've had a difficult fight, ma'am. The team would appreciate a break.
Image —go let Malkuth know she'll be fighting, as she still refuses to speak with me.

Image Ah. Yes, I'll get right on that, ma'am.

VIDEO
Music: WarpStation

Image Oh bugger, I’m ‘boutta vom…

Image They occupied the whole pub and got wasted all night, I heard.
Image Sigh… Just how much did you drink this time?
Image Oi Rain, my head’s still ringing from the hangover, so keep the lecture for later, yeah? Maybe in an hour or so.

Image And what’s this? This receipt says… You used our Office funds to pay for it, too…

Image The next train departing is WARP train UW-212. All passengers please check your pass and make sure you are in the correct carriage for travel. And remember: Watch for it. Warn us. We’ll all be good.

Image Seems it’s our turn now.

Image I always feel ill and out of sorts when I board WARP’s trains.

Image Just don’t make an arse of yourself like the last time.

Image Anyway, this request is rather unexpected. One from R Corp. of all places.

Image Isn’t it something right dangerous if R Corp. has to request another party to do the job? They might be just using a no-name Office like us as bait to test the waters ‘fore they do it themselves.

Image Say, who’s the client for that request?

Image The captain of the Rabbit Team herself?

Image Huhuhu… You kids might be thinking I’m just an easygoing drunkard, but every action of mine is calculated, you see?
Image Here she goes again.

Image That Myo lass is an old mate of mine, I drank with her just yesterday!

Image You mean…

Image Said she’s got an easy job for me. Says all I gotta do is give her a small cut of the rewards.

Image No wonder you were so proud about going out for a drink.

Image I was in a rather good mood, so I let her dine like a king and paid for all that with the Office card~

Image Is Myo a trustworthy person?

Image She acts like a hotheaded lass, but she’s actually pretty nice deep inside when you get to know her.

Image I swear down I’ll curse you for the rest of my life if it turns out to be weird nonsense again.

Image All passengers please board WARP train UW-212.

These two, Tommy and Merry, do have pictures but they don't show up until a bit later. I'll just use them now.

Image You’re such a worrywart, darling. So many people use WARP every day.

Image I heard there were several accidents when they were first starting out.

Image You can just stay by my side and keep your eyes closed if you’re so worried silly.

Image Okay. I’ll stick fast to you and hold tight.

Image …Take care of the mess if I happen to vomit on this carriage, Rain.
Image Big Sis, please!

Music: WarpTrain

Image We’re departing now.

Image Oi, I’ve always wondered, what’s the point of these seatbelts?

Image Courtesy, I suppose. Who knows, it might actually be better than nothing.

Image We will be initiating the warp in ten minutes.

Image Oh you. You’re clinging onto me like a baby.

Image Well you never know…

Image We’ll be there just ten seconds after the train starts! But you’re cute, so I’ll let you be~

Image Why’d we hafta sit right behind those two lousy lovebirds?

Image Shh, shut it, they’ll hear us.

Image Please do not open the doors while the train is in warp.

Image I’ll be taking a nap. Wake me up when we’re there.

Image It’s going to take less than 10 minutes anyway.

Image Whatever~

There's a page turn effect here, to indicate the passage of time.

Image Hell, what’s it this time?

Image Something seems to have gone wrong. It’s been an hour since we departed, but the train still hasn’t arrived at its stop.

Image What’s happening, Merry…? You said we’d be there in just ten seconds.

Image That’s strange… It shouldn’t take any longer than that…

Image WARP hasn’t had any accidents in the last ten years, though.

Image We might end up getting trapped here.

Image We’re breaking through that door if anything goes wrong.

Image You’re insane! The warnings said you’ll get sucked out into space if we try to open the doors while the train’s in warp.

Image Where are we?

Image I can’t even take off this seatbelt…

Image Tommy… Everything will be fine soon enough… I’m sorry, it’s my fault for asking to take a WARP train…

Image The train seems to be operating still…

Image Oi! Take out your tools now. We’re cutting off this bloody seatbelt.

Image The atmosphere is getting eerie. Everyone seems more sensitive than usual.

Image What’s funnier is that I’m not feeling any thirst or hunger even though we haven’t had anything in the last 31 hours.

There's a whirring like a power tool here.

Image It won’t even leave a dent on this bloody door.

Image Guess we really are trapped. I don’t see a way out. All we can do is wait.

Image Looks like others are slowly losing their minds, too.

Image What do you mean, a gamble?

Image I’m saying, maybe we use this.

Image An invitation…?

Image It’s the stuff I got from Myo. Never thought I’d use it now.

Image Here’s my pen. I’d do anything to get out of this train, too.

Image It was supposed to arrive at the destination in only 10 seconds, right?

Image Yep. The WARP trains, operating with W Corp’s Singularity. They can get to any station in 10 seconds no matter how far away they are. A 30-second delay would be a big enough issue already, and a 30-hour delay? That’s gonna be outright fatal to the corporation’s trust.

Image Even a Singularity can malfunction, it seems.

Image I guess no technology is ever really flawless.

Image Anyway, I might be able to have an unexpected reunion soon enough.

Image You have any familiar faces in that Office?

Image No.

Image You mean Myo, the captain of the Rabbit Team, then?

Image Yes.

Image Hunh… So you had connections with one of the captains from R Corp? That Olga person knowing her is surprising enough, but you have some impressive networking finesse, too.

Image Though we probably won’t be greeting each other with smiles when we do meet again.

Image What, you weren’t friends with her? Eh, you know what, I guess it makes more sense this way.

Image What did you expect? Did you really think I would have any friends to casually chat with?

Image I was just wondering. R Corp. is different from Fixers on a fundamental level. Their work might seem similar to what Fixers do, but they take on things of a much larger scale with a much more professional mentality.

Image I expect no less from one of the Wings.

Image Aren’t you relaxed.

Image Much faster and better than W Corp’s idiotic Singularity.

Image Are we really sure we can proceed so carelessly? You said you got that invitation from R Corp.

Image Mika, shut him up for a bit. I think I’m gonna vomit right ‘ere if I hear another peep outta him.

Image Rain is speaking the truth, though. Maybe we should have been more cautious.

Image Sure, sure~ No one is on my side. It’s all thanks to my quick judgement that we could escape from that buggered train.

Image Good to see you too, lassie~

Image I apologize. We’re in a bit of confusion right now. And she’s hungover as well…

Image I understand. I do have experience dealing with drunkards.

Image Ey, you know what the hell was going on back there?

Image All I know is that you are our guests invited to the Library, I’m afraid.

Image Huh. She’s a bit nicer than what Myo told me.

Image Do you know her?

Image Ye see, we were supposed to dig into the relationship between L Corp. and the Library; that’s what Myo asked us to do.

Image I see, so that’s how you know about me.

Image Let’s not anger her now. We’ll just take the books listed on the invitation and leave, okay?

Image Let’s be blunt, lassie. You know what relationships the Library has with L Corp, donchya? Myo says the fact you’re in the Library is indisputable evidence that this place is related to L Corp somehow or another.

Image …I’m sure you can find the answer to that in the books you seek.

Image We’re terribly sorry. We’ll be going in now.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: An actual deck archetype!

Videos

Molar Office 1

Image I am prepared. I am the greatest. I am unmatched!
Image Talking to yourseelf..?
Image GAH! How long have you been there?!

Image Mmmm… Since just noow..? Malkuth sent me to make suure you were cooming...

Image Aha. Don't you worry—I know everyone's completely hopeless without me around to carry them~ I'll be there!
Image I seee…

Image Hmm? Why are you looking at me like that?

Image No reaason… You just seeemed… ooff…

Image That's not—you don't—you can't prove anything!

Image Huuh… Okaay. I also wanted to ask… Save me some boooks… I really want to read aall about that train trip.

Image The one we just saw? Why?

Image It's a malfuunctioning singulaarityy… There's nothing more innteresting than thaat..!

Image ...Not even aliens?

Image No… I found thoose…

Image What?! Where?! When?!

Image Seecret..!

Image A secret that I don't know? Hmph. HMPH! Well then, I'll go out, win this fight, get those books, and make you tell me all about these 'aliens' you found!

Image Good luuck..!

Image I don't need luck, you hear me?! I'm amazing!

and so the theme of Project Moon trains being cursed entities continues.

Ah, the first deck archetype, which I...almost never use...Oh well.

vulpixall wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:43 pm
That's a shame. I really like it for... reasons we'll go into probably right when I start using it.

To be fair, I did things in a really weird order, so that probably had a nonzero effect on what my decks look like. Which is awful, by the way! They look awful! But they work.

Gespenst wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:31 pm
and so the theme of Project Moon trains being cursed entities continues.
What are the odds that express train to hell is our next big abnormality fight? Either that or it will somehow be the final boss.

TeeQueue wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:56 pm
vulpixall wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:43 pm
That's a shame. I really like it for... reasons we'll go into probably right when I start using it.
All I can say on this is that Olga's page was a mainstay in my receptions for a long time, I will have some words next update. there's actually a specific Abnormality battle that an Olga deck can have hilarious interactions with, and I'll bring it up when we see it

Book 15: Molar Office—Chapter 2

Image Huh… that setup looks a bit odd.

Image I suppose it would. Hod and I talked it over, and we've decided to try handling her assignment.

Image Oh right, that thing. So you're all using specific costs today?

Image You got it.

I need to get this done to get any further, so I've decided to just toss it on the pile while handling Molar Office today. Since Malkuth is in Walter, she's getting pages with a Defensive die to lead off.

Image And you're using that guy's sidekick, huh…

Image I'm sure I don't know what you're implying.

Image Oh, nothing at all.

Bishop has a slightly more offensive tilt to his pages, to take advantage of Isadora's Minimum Offense.

Image And you're… What do we have going on here?

Image Huhuhu… stare into the face of perfection, person I don't know! I have the page that hits hardest! I have the one that hits most! I can give myself powerups! In every way, my plan is flawless.

Image Ah… sure, sure. Okay…

For Dimi… None of these pages are particularly amazing anymore and YOLO is outright bad, but I guess Guardian might help Bishop and Malkuth?

As for our opponents, Olga, Mika, and Rain all have unique Key Pages.

ImageImage

Each of their passives is related to either not having a hand or to discarding pages from their hand. Several of their pages are designed to work alongside them.

All three of them have Daring Decision, a page which gives insanely good rolls in exchange for their entire hand. Since Olga's Margin will give her bonus Light+Draw when her hand is empty and the other two only have 1 die each, this isn't a bad deal for them.

Mika has a pair of Fierce Onslaught as well, a 1-cost page which discards a single page in return for three okayish attack dice. It's… underwhelming.

Rain has two copies of Gamble, which is very powerful for its cost and a straight upgrade over Fierce Onslaught in any deck that can't consistently stack 3 or more Power on its dice.

It'll be important to keep on our toes and not ram into a Daring Decision without a good reason.

Music: MalkuthBattle01

Image They look like Zwei Association Fixers…

Image Oh, yeah… Myo mentioned something about that. Seems they can use the powers of people they've defeated previously.
Image I'm really not looking forward to facing the Zwei's techniques.

Image It's fine, it's fine! I've arm wrestled Zwei Fixers plenty of times!

Image That's not the same, Big Sis.

Image So… what's your fixer experience telling you?

Image Well—
Image Get the one in the middle! She's the tallest, she's the midpoint of their formation, and she smells like a hangover! Easy prey!

Image That's… not how I would have put it, but I agree.

Image Then let's do it!

Everyone teams up on Olga for this turn. Since the majority of Molar pages use 3 offensive dice, Retaliate is an effective counter for most of their plays.

...Usually. :rolldice:

Image You're pretty good. I've never seen anyone use such a short weapon so well.

Image There're some things you just can't do without getting up close, ya' know?

Image Seems like it. Did you get the information you needed, Malkuth?

Image Sure did.

Image Oi, oi… that's not very nice.

Image Well… that didn't do as much as expected.

The only downside of using Retaliate on Olga herself is her high resistance to Pierce attacks. Ultimately, we won't do much damage.

Image Don't worry, boss. We've got your back.

Image We won't let anyone one-sidedly pick on you.

Image Aren't you all forgetting someone?!

Image The true threat here is me!
Image Gh… That was a pretty heavy blow, after all.

Image Yes! That's right, you should be respectful of my obvious power, and—

Image ...Hey! Don't just ignore meeeeee!

Olga's using 4 Light this turn, which means a Daring Decision is coming out.

Image Fine! This one's slow, so I'll take it head-on!

Image ...Be careful there, okay?

Image Huhu… I don't need your concern!

Since Dimi is at full health, I have her eat it. She'll take damage, but the clash will let her get Emotion Level as well, and she's the only one still empty after last turn.

The others do some basic clashes with Olga and Mika, and Malkuth's last attack is a one-sided to continue whittling down Olga.

Image If I didn't have a hangover right now…

Image Don't worry, I've got your back!

Image Sorry, but I'm not letting you hit my boss. You understand how it is, right?

Image Rain, can you handle this guy?

Image I'd prefer you didn't pick on my teammate either.

Image So you do know.

Image I'd prefer you not talk so calmly while you're being sawn in half.

Image HECK!!!

Image Oi, you gonna' squeal so loud every time I hit you?

Daring Decision hurts. A max roll on the die that Dimi is fatally weak to hurts even more. :ohdear:

Image Alright. Kinda' startin' to feel it.

Image C-could you feel it somewhere else?!

Image Oi, you attacked me. You don't get to complain that I stuffed you for it.

Image I-I-I was clearly holding back! Couldn't you tell? I suppose not, at your level...

We get our first Abnormality Page at last, and I slap it on Bishop so that he can start throwing out lower-costed Nonstop Assaults. This would have gone on Malkuth, but all her pages in hand were 1-costs.

Image Hey, booss..?

Image What is it?
Image These guys were stuck in a traain for thirty hoours, riight..?

Image That's the story we were shown, yes.

Image I've seen a loot of hangoveers… They don't usually last thaat long…

Image Can confirm.
Image ...Hm. I'll look into it.

Image Thanks booss..!

Image H-hey, why are you focusing on me?!

Image You said you were more powerful than I knew, right~? Well, I can't help but want to test that.

Image A-aha. Ahaha... Huhuhuhu!! Alright then, come at me!

Just some ordinary clashes here, though I want to note that because of Malkuth's Endurance and passive her minimum roll on that Evade die is a 5, meaning there's almost no chance of Rain getting an attack through it. :getin:

Image Ah, this isn't good…

Image Knocked her off guard, Malkuth!

Image I'll be just a minute! I'm busy with this one.

Image Mika was right. Those Zwei techniques are a pain in the rear.

Image This one's actually from a smaller Office. It's really quite astounding what Fixers can come up with!

Power stacking lets Malkuth evade all three attacks as planned, and then follow up with two one-sided strikes.

Image Done here. Now, who're we following up on?
Image H-HURGHH-!

Image The great Dimi has knocked this one for a loop! Feel free to heap praises and adulations upon me, I'll accept them all graciously~!

Image Gonna seriously hurl… need a minute..!

Image Nevermind, I'll go over here!

Image So, so?

Image You did a good job, Dimi.

Image As expected of a member of our team!

Image Yeah! And while I'm fired up, I'll take the next gift!

Image Alright. Use it well.

Music: MalkuthBattle02

This fight's in cleanup mode now—it's my first time actually using Silent Night, and I'm quite pleased to see how well it enables Evade die-first plays against the Molar Office's offensive pages.

Anyways, we go in on taking Olga out and dealing damage to the others. :black101:

Image History team, all out attack!
Image Image
Image Image Right!

Image I've taken care of the tall one!
Image Big Sis..!

Image You don't have time to be looking somewhere else!

Image Twintails isn't dead yet. Please continue the attack!

Image ...We couldn't save Big Sis.

Image Ghh…
Image I don't think I can protect you either. This gamble hasn't worked out at all.

Malkuth is out of pages, so she gets the turn off—and I have Dimi intercept another Daring Decision.

Image And now it's your turn! Face the wrath of… wuh-oh.
Image "Wuh-oh?"

Image W-weapon malfunction. G-give me just a second, and I'll—

Image You killed the boss. You don't get seconds.
Image How… how rude! You cheater!

Image That's two down. Just the last one left…

Image How're you holding up, Dimi?

Image No more terrible guess the item puzzles please, I've had plenty…

Image She'll be fine! Let's finish up and get to cleanup!

Since Malkuth has a 5 and a 3, we can use the 3 to redirect Mika's 2 die, and then attack one-sided with the 5 to have an unopposed attack before she can do anything.

Image There we go... One each. We've all done our fair share of the work.

Image Oogh… what hit me?

Image Don't worry about that now. It's time to clean up the books and go home.
Image Oh. Haha. Of course! With me around, that's just to be expected!

Image Yeah, yeah. Good effort, everyone. :rolleyes:

Molar Office's high focus on offense can be jarring for new players, and I've definitely heard of several falling prey to them early on. So long as we accept that the Daring Decisions are going to hit and just try to spread the damage around, though, we can use Evade dice to beat most of their other pages and grind them down. The best part about this strategy is that it also gives them a lot of Emotion Levels, making sure we get a lot of books from them.

And we want a lot of their books. :getin:

Image Well, we made it out without any casualties… the best we could hope for, I think.

Image Yeah. That wasn't so bad at all, compared to the stuff we used to fight.

Image Your bodies seem weaker than back then, too—be sure not to overextend in the future.

VIDEO

Image L Corp. was a major client of R Corp, and it disappeared into thin air, so it’s natural for them to want to look into it.

Image A major client of R Corp, huh… I guess that makes sense. L Corp. and its Nest weren’t really special in terms of military power. It must have been a very important client for R Corp. if they were asked to protect a whole Nest.

Image It was a mutual relationship, too. L Corp. was supplying all the energy R Corp. needed, and W Corp. depended on L Corp’s energy supply as well.

Image Three Wings in collusion with each other, huh. So much for trickle-down economics.

Image There’s no use complaining to me. I was simply following my orders.

Image Yeah. Employees gotta do whatever their boss tells ‘em to do, whether it’s the Wings or the Backstreets.

Now that we've gotten Olga's book, Hod's floor has a new... Wait, what?

Image Hod… we did the research, didn't we?

Image Um… about that…

Image Come on! We used only odd costed pages throughout the entire battle! You can't say we did anything wrong!

Image I'm sorry, but I checked it three different times…

Image No matter how you look at it, this is a 2, is it not?

Image That… counts?

Image That counts.
Image That… counts...

Make sure not to use any cost-lowering abilities while trying to do this assignment, because it only cares about the current light cost of the page being used! By the same token, we could do it with 0 and 2 cost pages in our deck, so long as we only play ones that cost 1 or 3. :eng101:

Image Huuuuf~~

Image Pah~!
Image Bishop! Dimi!

Image How is it now?

Image This should work perfectly. Thanks, Malkuth!

Image Ma'am, I have another question.

Image Yes?

Image Those guests… didn't I already "receive" them, ma'am? How could they be slain twice?

Image It's the power of this library. Should we send the same books, it's only natural that we receive the same guests a second time.

Image ...Ah. I still don't understand, ma'am.

Anyways, now we have access to our next Abnormality Battle—it's Hod's turn to get her third Librarian.

Image "The girl begged in tears. "Mister, please cut off my feet..."

Videos

Molar Office 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molar Office was very easy for me, despite my...deficiencies in deckbuilding. This is likely because this part is the part where I started just using Yesod to beat everyone up, though.

This is and shall remain a very valid strategy from here through most of the game.

Yeah, when the main down side to extra speed dice is that lack of sustain, the fact that Olga's page just has inbuilt sustain is amazing. also Wait Up! :allears: a light gain page without a crippling downside! it's garbage as an attack, but if you throw it out one-sided then you just get the upside.
oh and there's a battle symbol involved that's great too

Appendix 9: Molar Office
Olga’s Page wrote: Myo and I are old friends. I honestly don’t ‘member how our first meeting went, other than being Backstreets buddies, but eh… That just goes to show how long our friendship’s been, don’t it? We’ve done requests together, been in life or death situations together. We’d been too busy to contact each other often ever since I moved to this Office, but then Myo called me out for a date one day.

Maybe it was because I got to drink with my old friend after a long while, or maybe it was the honor of having a seat with the famous captain of the Rabbit Team, but I was in a mighty good mood. I was taking swig after swig of booze… Rain would’ve scolded me for sure if I went back drunk as a broom, I felt that… But that happens all the time anyway, so I didn’t care much. “How’s it going?” “So-so, how about you?” “Same as you, lass.” After some meaningless chatters, Myo gasped like she remembered something and started skimming through her fanny pack. Then she shot me a stealthy look.

“Psst, Olga. Come closer. We don’t want anyone peeping at us, so stick right next to me. And stay quiet!”

“You’re the noisiest one here and you already stick out like a sore thumb, so just say it already.”

“You’re not a woman of style, are you. It’s more fun to talk like we’re secret agents exchanging confidential info when we’re discussing topics like this! It’s stylish that way. Forget it, R Corp. has been investigating something of late. It’s…”

“Are you giving work to our Office? Or are you just bragging. By the way, I guess it’s pretty serious if R Corp. is paying attention to whatever that is, just how big is it? Oh, I heard people’s been going missing lately… Does it have anything to do with that? Or…”

“Shut up and listen for a sec! You always have too much to say… Here’s the deal, Olga; I’ve got a lush grassland to show you, so graze it to your heart’s content and bring some of its veggies for me. How’s it sound?”

Some words she chose. I clicked me tongue and took a close look at the black card and WARP train tickets Myo pushed to my side, before drinking off my glass and agreeing to give it a go. I wouldn’t have taken it if I’d known it’d bring us to this complete lunacy.
Mika’s Page wrote: Every useful workshop technology is patented. The City strictly forbade making or selling products using technology patented by another workshop without purchasing the rights to it. If anyone infringes this regulation and still uses technology they shouldn’t have access to… They will receive a cease and desist letter up to three times. When you receive the warning, you must pay all profit you’ve earned through the infringement to A Corp. as a fine. Why A Corp. out of all places? Because that’s the corporate in charge of managing and granting all patents. It’s the Head we’re talking about. In any case, if you can’t pay the penalty by the third warning… The Claw will tear you down.

To tell you the truth… Yes. I’m the daughter of a small workshop owner. My father dreamed to make his little brand famous one day. Its name was… Sorry, I don’t feel like saying it out loud. It’s long gone, so you’ll get nothing even if you look for it. That’s right. As I explained moments ago… If you can’t spit out the money you illegitimately earned from manufacturing or selling products using stolen technology, punishment awaits. W-wait, please listen to my story to the end. My father was a victim of fraud. His friend gave him a technology and asked him to make weapons for his Office out of it, so he made them per his request. He didn’t even realize that the technology was stolen from someone else. He’d already sent the weapons to the Office, and when he was waiting for his friend to test them out and transfer the payment, a cease and desist was sent. …You can guess the rest of this story.
Rain’s Page wrote: When an Office accepts a request, an official deed of contract must be drawn up before the case can be dealt with. It sounds big, but it’s basically just a mutual promise; I think it’s “consideration” in legal terms. The client will pay a certain amount of money as reward, and the Fixers will do their best to resolve the case… They’re plain and natural clauses for the most part. It seems people in this City are prone to breaking promises as simple as those without a contract to bind them, though. In any case, contracts serve as physical evidence to prove our performance and secure our payment when we submit reports to the Association. Without a contract, there’s no assurance that we’ll score a record for our career or get our due payment. To give you an example, Big Sis resolved a huge case the other day, but we got absolutely nothing out of it because she forgot to sign a contract for it.

Requests made by Wings are quite different from those assigned by the Associations in several aspects. You’ll be made the envy of everyone once you get a request from a Wing. First of all, a Wing commissioning a regular Office indicates that the Office has been recognized to be worthy of its trust, and that alone can be a significant achievement. You’ll have something to brag about to other Fixers… And the payment is big as well. A single request from a Wing resolved can keep us afloat for three months minimum. If I must be honest, however, I am rather… unnerved. As rewarding as work given by Wings can be, there’s significant risk associated with it. Imagine how dangerous and difficult this mission may be if R Corp, a Wing specializing in combat, requested us to resolve it for them. Big Sis happily accepted the job, though I still can’t help but be worried a little. Still… I hope it goes well.
Last edited by TeeQueue on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surprising probably no one, it looks like we'll be facing off with Hod's new Abnormality next.

When will the thread let us go do the funny fight /j

This is the last poll for this chapter, so...

Right after this, I guess. :v:

honestly it's probably for the best that you keep getting the abnormalities as early as possible, 'cause when they aren't on an early floor they aren't really a power increase, also because having more floors available to avoid "Roland does everything" is just better for storytelling

Literature—309.08—The Red Shoes

I put Hod into Mars because I didn't remember what The Red Shoes did, and Mars has better resistances than Walter does.

Medea, meanwhile, will be demonstrating the power of Olga today. Normally Gamble would be used over Fierce Onslaught, but I like Fierce Onslaught with Literature's Abnormality Pages more.

Image Miss Hod… I'll accept that you agreed to help Angela, but does that really mean we just have to do whatever she says?

Image That's the way it is. Try to think of her as the new manager.

Image I wasn't a fan of the old one either, to be honest… But I'll trust you, if nothing else.

Image I appreciate it. We're ready, Angela.

Image Very well. I look forward to your success.

Image We'll do our best.

SNAP

Image This one again… I remember having to put down a few employees who got on the wrong side of it.

Image Maybe they won't try and allure us since they're currently being worn?

Image Let's hope so. This body hasn't gone through the training I usually put in.
The Red Shoes wrote: Image This glamour should be mine alone.

Image The red is so vivid, isn’t it simply dazzling?

Image Words cannot describe the bloodstained magnificence.

Image When there are no feet left to wear these shoes, then…

Image I want a more sanguine hue of red… more luscious. Would you give it to me?
Our opponent today is split into two targets, the Left and Right Shoe. As usual, the first thing to do is check out their stats.

The Left Shoe only uses this page, which inflicts Bleed on hit. Because the rolls are relatively high, more times than not it'll get through and inflict Bleed on whoever is targeted. Its Speed Die is always a 6, which is higher than we can currently roll without buffs.

The Right Shoe uses one of two pages, both of which have effects when targeting opponents with Bleed. Bursting Desire is one of them, which recovers a nice chunk of HP on hitting. Its passive forces it to target a Librarian with Bleed if one is available. Its Speed Die is always a 1, which is lower than we can currently roll without debuffs.

Effectively, this fight is a glorified "Do you know how to redirect attacks?" check.

While I do know how to redirect attacks, the same can't be said for basic controls. Right now, I'm clashing with Medea's Wait Up!, which is not suited to deal with that Bursting Desire. By selecting the die we can swap it to Daring Decision up there, so I do that with the Tab button. However, I then want to clear all the information from the top of the screen. There isn't a button to do that on keyboard.

So my brain decides the correct answer is to just push Space, because that'll definitely. fix it.

Image So maybe I should… or maybe…

Image They're coming!
Image What?! But I'm not ready yet—

Image That was… unfair.

That's the story of how I completely forgot to have Hod move on the first turn by pushing the wrong button. :lobcorp:

On the bright side, Medea's Daring Decision/Wait Up! combo knocks the Right Shoe for a loop. This does leave her without a hand, but that's where Olga wants to be anyways.

Unfortunately, both our draws are Daring Decision. This is fine, as we only need to intercept the Right Shoe before it can target Hod and gain back a lot of its health.

Hod fully commits to targeting the Left Shoe, and I'm praying for good (or bad!) rolls to get her Emotion Level up a bit.

Medea takes the hit from the Left Shoe, giving her Bleed next turn. It's worth noting that this Bleed won't activate the passive abilities on the Right Shoe's pages—they only turn on when the Bleed is active, not when it's about to be active on the next turn.

Image Nice try, but you're not getting around me!

Not that it matters, as Medea stops all three attacks from the Right Shoe cold with Daring Decision.

Hod, meanwhile, lands enough emotion coins to get a Light refund as well.

Image It's time again. I feel it.

Image Then I'll borrow its power.

Image It should work better with your techniques right now, anyways.

The Right Shoe is on its last leg, so this turn is a good time to finish it off.

Hod pulls the attack from Right Shoe. Obsession is the other page from Right Shoe, and it gains +5 Power if it's clashing with an enemy with Bleed.

This frees up Medea to go all in on it with two Fierce Onslaughts at +2 Power.

Hod does have to eat the one-sided attack from the Left Shoe...

Image I'm not sure where you grew those strange legs from...

But this just frees Medea up to Stagger the remaining one.

Image But take them and get out of here!

It falls the same turn, due to the hideous damage output of Olga's Key Page at +2 Power.

This leaves us with one shoe that can use only a single die, on a single page, against two fully capable librarians at full Light, with mostly full hands and four times the plays per turn.

Image We've got them, now.

Image Yes… Good job so far.

Image Let's just wrap things up quickly.

The Red Shoes doesn't have any more tricks to show off, so we do just that. :v:

The Red Shoes are ultimately a test of whether or not we understand how attack redirection works. We do, so they're basically a snoozefest—though Olga's page makes them even more of a joke through its raw power.

VIDEO
Music: HodStory

Image Hi, Roland. You’re working hard as always.

Image You tell me. If only our Miss Head Librarian could appreciate all this hard work with a huge reward or anything.

Image How are you doing with Angela by the way?

Image Eh, so-so I guess? She can be scary at times, but I can live with it.

Image Angela seemed to be the most comfortable when she was talking with you.

Image Really? To be fair, all the librarians I’ve met so far did seem to despise Angela.

Image I’ve been thinking, and I don’t think I can follow that. I’d have to loathe Angela with all my being, but I just can’t get myself to bear any unconditional hatred towards her.

Image Oh boy, that took a turn. I’m guessing it’s because Angela has her fair share of tragic history and stuff?

Image That’s right. Everyone has their own stories. Even if someone is committing bad things right now… I don’t want to judge them based on solely the snippets I see of them.

Image So I try to understand them in depth.

Image Man, you’re an angel. I wish Yesod and Netzach were half as kind as you.

Image Hmm, dunno about that. “Kind” and “good” aren’t exactly one and the same.

Image Is that so? I wasn’t really a good person, you see.

Image Oh, is this about your first and second lives? I remember Malkuth talking about ‘em.

Image I see, that’s how Malkuth put it. Yeah, you’re right. My first life was a tragic one.

Image That seems to be the case with everyone here. You were all doing research to “cure” humanity, right?

Image So many people were killed because of me…
Image Huh? You’re admittedly pretty good at fighting as a librarian, but you don’t smell like a serial killer or anything.

Image I snitched to the Head. About the experiments we were doing, and about the atrocious things we were committing. They sent an Arbiter to the laboratory and killed so many of my colleagues.

Image When I heard the news, I couldn’t take it anymore, so I… took my own life.

Image What happened there…?

Image I had to watch as Malkuth, Yesod, and Netzach died horrible deaths in that laboratory. And what happened to a young boy who participated in the experiment… That’s not all. We injected people with drugs and recorded the changes and side effects they made…

Image Within the City?

Image No, the laboratory was in the Outskirts. To avoid the Head and its Eyes.
Image Hmm…

Image Now you can see that I’m not a good person at all, right?

Image Nope, it’s not that. I’m frowning because there’s one thing about this story I don’t understand.

Image This part doesn’t make sense… Are you really sure it was an Arbiter?

Image That’s what I heard… It matches what I learned in Lobotomy Corp. during my second life, too.

Image Hnngh. It’s still too hard for me to believe.

Image You’re pondering over odd things, Roland. I thought you’d lambast me for being a traitor.

Image Well, betrayals happened on a daily basis where I used to live. Besides, real betrayals tend to be a whole lot more cruel. Are you from one of the Nests, Hod?

Image Yeah. I was born in a Nest, and went to a school in a Nest.

Image And the other librarians are too?

Image Most of them are. There’s one from the Backstreets, and one from the Outskirts, but that’s about it.

Image Damn, you guys were all elites, huh. I gotta wonder how you ended up living such miserable lives. And you all had the drive to leave behind the comfort of living in a Nest for a research facility in the Outskirts. That must’ve taken some determination. My bad for calling you a bunch of spineless snobs.

Image We were full of passion, too. Which I ended up betraying…

Image That means the reason you can’t blindly hate Angela was mostly an excuse for yourself?

Image I guess. I made a huge mistake once, but…

Image I wanna be better now. I want to become a better person. I’m sure everyone wants to. At the same time, a part of my mind still can’t forgive Angela.

Image You’re holding up much better than I expected.

Image Of course we are! Did you really think we’d go to sleep just because you told us to?

Image However, it is only a matter of time.

Image Hrk… And time is what matters to you most right now.

Image The regenerators are at their limits, too…

Image I put up with the play for such a long time, I could pass a day or two in an instant. But the last two days have felt so long and slow.

Image Angela, your filthy deed born out of your personal desire shall never be brought to fruition.

Image The circumstances are no longer the same as before, Gebura. I am now aware of the existence of E.G.O and its capabilities.

Image All employees from the Welfare and Disciplinary Teams have fallen…

Image You’ll never get to spread the light for those seven days you all planned. It would last… hmm, perhaps four days at most? And I’d be left with only two or three days’ worth of light for myself. In any case, none of us will have won this battle.

Image What is your point…?

Image …I want to live, you see.

Music: HodStory

Image Sephirot?

Image Oh, that’s what the librarians were called back in Lobotomy Corp. The nine librarians sleeping on each floor, you know.

Image I see. Yeah, the ones I met didn’t seem too happy with this job. I guess that’s why you all hate Angela so much.

Image Me, Malkuth, Yesod, Netzach, and Hokma were the ones opposing her offer.

Image That means the other four approved it. Angela wasn’t completely alone, huh.

Image To be fair, they weren’t actively supporting it… It was more of a deferral.

Image One sec. Why were you against her offer if you thought she could eventually become a better being?

Image It’s silly, I know… Even in the middle of that, I was thinking I could repent for my sins with death.

Image Yep. The whole thing was meant to end with us shutting down, falling into an eternal slumber knowing that our long-desired wish was fulfilled.

Image Geez, you were all ready to really accept a morbid fate like that?

Image You’re always surprised over the oddest details, Roland. I thought you’d blame me for running away from my problems, even at the end.

Image Nah, that’s a totally natural reaction in my opinion. I’m not a very strong or spirited person, so I get why you’d do that. So, in summary, you objected to Angela’s offer at first because you wanted to forfeit your own life as the last step of your atonement, but now that you had some time to think things over, you’re willing to give Angela a chance?

Image Yeah, that’s about right. It was a rather heavy topic for me, but you summed it up neatly.

Image Well, things are bound to seem lighter from an outsider’s perspective.

Image Thanks for listening anyways. It helped me sort through my thoughts, too.

Image You’re welcome, Miss~ It’s all part of my work.

With that, we've hit our next floor level for Hod, and unlocked another trio of Abnormality Pages. Let's take a peek.

Glitter is an interesting page, since it gives us 1-2 Power on every clash against enemies in exchange for the enemies dealing more damage when they hit us. Unfortunately it's a random power boost, and ultimately unreliable—although there's something to be said for having an option to force the opponent to target one specific opponent if we're using a very defense die-oriented build.

Obsession is build-defining, and Hod's floor is the queen of Bleed specifically because of it. Doubling all Bleed stacks can lead to some absurd amounts of HP being lost with every attack, even with the reduction after each offensive die.It's just unfortunate that we have to wait for Emotion Level 3 for it to show up, getting this at level 1 or 2 would be nuts.

Lastly there's Axe, which is a +1-3 Power for all Slash dice, and a penalty should they fail to connect. This is another incredibly strong effect, and if stacked with Look of the Day our Slash dice should never be losing clashes in the first place. Even without it, our ability to choose how to attack means we should rarely, if ever, run into a situation where this downside is an actual liability. It's good.

We also get our new assignment, which is just more books. This is a trend for the rest of the game—we don't actually see any novel assignments like the ones we had before. It's kind of a shame, I was curious at first about what sorts of other weird hoops we'd have to jump through as the game progressed.

Image How's our librarian?

Image The process is going smoothly. It should be at most another few moments.
Image ...Hey, Hod?

Image Yes?

Image When you said before the plan was for everyone to die… Did that include us?

Image ...I'm sure that Manager would have thought of something to avoid that, in the end.

Image So it was the plan.

Image We were all supposed to sleep together, content that our work was finally finished.
Image I see...

Image Well… THAT was a nap. Phew...

Image They awoke slightly earlier than expected.

Image I've always been reliable like that. I'm not too early, am I?

Image In terms of awakened librarians, you're the thirteenth.

Image Oof, unlucky. Well, I'll make the best of it. I survived a lot of battles inside that company, and I aim to thrive here, too. Where's the gear?

Image We don't have gear. We wear people now.

Image Huh. How's that work?

Image All of us have bodies made of light now. They're weaker than before, but…
Image Weaker? In that case, I'll just get back to training. That's our middle name, after all.

Image I don't think that's really an option.

Image Hod, as interesting as it may be to watch you talking to yourself… you are free to go at any time.
Image She's talking to us, though..?

Image I'll explain later. Thank you for your time, Angela. We'll be off.

Videos

Hod 3

ImageBut Roland, *I* am the great therapist PagliHodcci!

Book 16: Stray Dogs—Chapter 1

Image Now that I'm back, I'm raring to get back to the daily grind.

Image Just so you're aware, our new duty is to turn people into books by killing them.

Image Do we still get paid the same?

Image We don't.
Image Man… we're getting ripped off.

Image Tell me about it.

Image Still… we made a deal and we'll honor it.

Image All patron librarians, please ensure your floors are prepared to receive guests. The next invitation is ready to be sent.

Image You heard her. Battlestations, everyone.

Image Right. Let's see how this all works.

VIDEO

Right out of the gate we get a nice, meaty punching sound complete with the customary screen effect for massive and gruesome violence. This is probably fine. :v:

The effect continues with every new line while Gyeong-mi here speaks.

Image Need! Some! Beating! Get! It! Into! Your! Thin! Skull!!

Image District 22 may be our turf, and these chumps you’re beating to a pulp may be from Zwei’s Section 6, but we’re talking about an Association here… We’re gonna be in even bigger trouble if you kill ‘em all.

The beating continues here, with another effect between every line.

Image Walter!

Image If! Only! That! Bastard!

Image Kept! His! Promise! We! Wouldn’t have! Gotten into this mess.

Image We! Needed! The! Floorplan! Of! L Corp’s! Nest!

Image The Zwei!

Image Had it!

Image We should! Teach!

Image These fuckers! A lesson!

Image Night will fall soon. Sweepers could come for our asses any second now. And the Thumb wouldn’t even contact us.

Image Those zealots at the Church of Gears took out more than half our Syndicate.
Image Their leader was an inhuman freak, alright…

Image We worked our asses off securing the goods from the Church, and for what… If we can’t hand over the floorplan of L Corp’s Nest to the Thumb…

Image All that’s left for us is to get purged by the Thumb for failing our job.

Image Shouldn’t have made a deal with an Association in the first place.

Image At least Walter was a sensible one. Maybe something happened to him. He might have been a cunning old fart, but he was still the director of Zwei Section 6. Besides, he’d usually leave field jobs to his men. Doesn’t make sense for him to die all too suddenly.

Image Anything can happen.

Image That’s one more option for us. You’ve done it again… Flew into a blind rage and crushed their bones and guts to a pulp.

Image Gyeong-mi! Even if they were a bunch of small fry from Section 6, killing this many of ‘em might get Section 2 or 3 to chase us down.

Image The Zwei could send an army of Fixers at us now.

Image …These sons of bitches… needed to understand what the weight of a promise is.

Image I hope you have a backup plan for when the Zwei come to “thank” us for that lesson.

Image Just look at this.

Image An envelope?

Image Hold on, among the “books of the day” they listed… there’s… The Book of Walter? So that’s what happened? You had a plan after all.

Image What… Gyeong-mi! So you already knew that Walter died in the Library and still pulverised Section 6?

One last time, the red violence effect appears with each line.

Image It’s!

Image About!

Image Sending! A damn! Message!

Image Anyway, what were they trying to do, getting Sweepers and the Thumb involved?

Image I might know about the Sweepers.

Image You do? Well, I guess they are infamous.

Image I saw them tear humans to pieces and use them as fuel. Are they like that in real life, too?<

Image Sort of. One Sweeper is tough as is, but what’s really scary is their organizational power. They crawl outta the woodwork every night and clean the Backstreets. We can’t even guess how many of them are there. No matter how many we take down, more would show up the next night.

Image It is, but we’ll probably get back just in time.

Image Scratch that! Just let us in. We’re in a hurry.

Image You are rather impatient, I see.

Image I said shut up!

Image And let us in. Now.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: This book is about PUNCH.

Videos

Stray Dogs 1

Image Mmmm… the Thummb are invoolved..?
Image THERE you are! I demand my answers! Who's the alien?!

Image Ooh… Hi Dimii… Why am I telling you agaain..?

Image I beat up those guys and turned them into books, flawlessly, because I'm amazing. You need to hold up your end of the bargain!

Image I don't recall making any deeals with youu… You just made it on your oown…

Image Don't you play coy with me! I'm too smart for it. Now, 'fess up: Who's the alien?!

Image I toold you alreadyy... It's a seecreet..!
Image Hm… Hmm..! Huhuhu! I see! No matter, as my magnificent detective work's already figured it out! It's so obvious! The alien… it's D.A.D, isn't it?! They're the one you were always investigating, after all!
Image ...How... Diid you knoow..?

Image Because I've learned detective work from carefully observing the every action of my newest boss, Bishop. It may seem quick, but for a genius like myself it's nothing.

Image Woow… :neckbeard:

Image Hmmhmhm! Yes, I'll accept all your adulation for the time being. Now, back to work for me! So much to do, and only I can do it! Farewell!
Image ...pheew...

ah Obsession, extremely potent but also nigh-unusable. there's a lot involved in what abno. pages get drawn, but what matters is that drawing obsession basically just doesn't happen unless you're getting your ass kicked to the extent that it isn't helpful.

Book 16: Stray Dogs—Chapter 2

Image Miss Aangelaa… I'd like to speeak to these guyss… Can wee take caare of it..?

Image Angela, we're all outfitted already, and Elle seems ready to go.

Image In that case, Hod, we'll go with your floor.

Image Aww… but I called diibs..!

Image I think if you want to fight, you'll need to have Yesod be the one to ask.

Image Ooh… Hey, booss..?

Image We'll read their books when the fight is over. There's no need for us to go, if Hod's volunteered.

Image ...daarn…

Image Well, glad this worked out. Let's see how rusty I am after all that sleep.

Hod and Medea's decks haven't changed at all, but for Elle Tee I've gone ahead and put together a classic Olga-less Molar deck. Instead of Wait Up! we're going with three copies of Stay Calm. Light won't be an issue for her with only one Speed Die, so we just need to be able to Daring Decision and still have a hand afterwards.

This is another 2 Act fight, with the first Act being all generic Stray Dogs members.

Their Blunt attacks deal +2 damage due to their skill. I'm reasonably sure that this +2 damage effect works the same as Fragile bonus damage, so it's more effective against people who are weak to Blunt damage.

Music: HodBattle01

Image Oh… I'm getting a lot of attention. This must be another of those trials by fire.

Image We'll have to stop them. It's rude to gang up on someone like that.

Image One each, then?

Image Sounds good to me.

While Hod is going to have problems with her clash, Daring Decision is basically an instant-win right now, and will continue to be for the next while.

We're also going to be getting in some extra one-sided attacks while we can.

Image Hi. This is my first day, so I'm a little nervous.

:what: You know I'm here to beat the fuck out of you, right?

Image Always be polite your guests. That's hospitality 101!

Image I don't think this is really 'hospitality,' Elle!

Image They're going to be staying here for a while, so it's close enough?

Image There's enough time to discuss this later on. For now, please keep an eye on their motions.

Image Ah—right! Sorry, Miss Hod!

With Crush as their strongest page, and us having effortlessly blown it away with Daring Decision, this fight is basically just an attempt to whittle down a bit of our health before the main event. Molar Office's pages are just so overwhelmingly strong that they just beat everything right now.

Our job, then, is to try and keep as much of our blood inside us as possible before Act 2. Winning clashes will be vital to that.

The extra attack is just to ensure we finish off the top Dog. In general, we want to be playing every page we can with Olga, every turn.

The plan goes off without a hitch, and Medea defeats the first Stray Dog.

Image Oh hey… I haven't felt quite like this before.

Image It's our friends coming to help.

Image You see them as friends?

Image Every one of them is just a lost child seeking understanding. If they're offering us their hand, then we're friends.

Image I suppose that's the sort of answer I'd expect from you.

Music: HodBattle01

This turn, the plan is to have Medea pull the bottom Dog's die away with her second die and get a one-sided attack with her Daring Decision. Meanwhile, Hod and Elle are focused on the remaining Stray Dog.

Image Second one's down!

Image Elle Tee, if you would?

Image Of course!

And so, we finish off Act 1 in ~3 turns. Unlike the Molar Office, the Stray Dogs as a whole don't have much of a theme outside of 'vaguely decent Blunt pages,' making most of them much less interesting as a fight.

Most of them.

Act 2 has the three named characters we met earlier as our opponents: Gyeong-mi, Dino, and Zulu.

Image Image

Dino and Zulu are just slightly upgraded Stray Dogs. They have a couple of more unique pages, but there isn't a lot to say about them.

And then there's Gyeong-mi. Up until now, while our opponents have had fewer than 9 pages in their decks they'd follow the same general rules of deck construction that we have to otherwise—no more than 3 of a page in their deck, etc.

Gyeong-mi, however, does not give a damn about such foolish concepts as 'rules.' He runs only two pages, and he runs four of each of them.

The first page, Scratch That!, is a trio of 5-10 dice that are actually 3-8 in practice. This puts this page on par with Daring Decision, if slightly more random to make up for lacking a downside. It's also our first Objet d'Art combat page. Unlike the other pages, any Objet pages that we try to put into decks are strictly 1-ofs. Again, this absolute unit has four copies.

The other page, Brawl, is unusual. When used, all of the dice on it are removed. Then, a random page in hand is selected and its dice are copied to Brawl instead. For Gyeong-mi, this means that Brawl will either copy a second Brawl (giving it very powerful dice listed on the page itself), or else the three powerful dice of Scratch That!. While this page will copy the effects of dice like its own Restore 1 Light on Clash Hit, it doesn't copy any On Use effects like Scratch That!'s -2 Power, letting it play those three dice at full power.

It also doesn't copy any Counter dice. We have not seen Counter dice, so I'll explain them later.

Gyeong-mi's game plan is simple: he beats someone down with huge dice, wins clashes, gains an Emotion Level, and does it again. If he ever runs out of Light, then his passive means he'll have at most one turn of downtime before he's ready to go again.

Music: HodBattle02

Image I don't think it's right to be so callous about the deaths of your comrades, dear guest.

Image Talking like that… you're the one in charge here, aren't you?

Image I'm the Patron Librarian of the Floor of Literature, if that's what you're asking.

Image You heard her, boys. We have a target.
Image What?!

Image We'll take care of her, then.

Image All at once.

Gyeong-mi leads with a Scratch That!, and our best option to blunt the damage is a Your Shield. Taking damage is inevitable when looking at dice that big, but we'll see how things shake out. The others aren't doing anything particularly frightening at the moment.

This should let us get through the turn with a minimal amount of damage to ourselves.

Image The lot of you look soft! Too soft!

Image We're not as soft as you—

Image I! Don't! Care! Just! Lie down! And—

Image You blocked it?

Image I told you. We're not weak.

Image Despite what he says, ganging up on someone like this means Gyeong-mi's acknowledged that they're dangerous.

Image Is that so..?

Image He prefers bashing the faces of weaklings in himself, after all.

Image I see. Thank you for the information.

Image Don't say that while stabbing me…

Image Hey! What's happened to Zulu?! You were supposed to attack next!

Image Oh, him?

Image He couldn't make it. Sorry~

Image Gyeong-mi… She got me…

Image Oh, I'm just getting warmed up.

Image Now I'm finished.

Image This wasn't… what I came for..!
Image Did you really think I'd let you fuckers get away with that?

Image I don't think you have a choice!

Image Hmph. You call that a hit?

Image Oh, it's that feeling again… They're coming to help us?

Image Very good, Elle. Is any of us carrying a high number of slashing attacks?

Image Er…

Image I have a couple, if I get lucky.

Image It'll have to do.

Image Dino. We're changing target.

Image To the one in the suit? Gotcha'.

Image Let's remind them of why they shouldn't mess with our syndicate.

Image Are you alright, Medea?

Image Should be fine. I just have to use my…

Image Good… attacks…

Medea's going to be taking a bunch of damage this turn, and there's not a lot we can do about it. :rolldice: Oh well, the Olga giveth and the Olga taketh away.

Image Looks like we've got a fracas down there.

Image I'm not a fan of these unrefined tactics.

Image It's just how it goes sometimes. Fights between fixers and syndicates can be brutal.

Upside: Medea's 5 die ties with the enemy 5's, but she winds up getting to act first.

Image Cut! That! Shit! Out!

Image Holy hell he hits hard!

As a reminder, Medea had full HP and Stagger Resist at the start of this turn.

Image He's not the only one who hits hard.

Had any of the rolls gone even a little worse, we would have gone from full Stagger straight to Staggered. The damage we take from eating multiple high-cost one-sided attacks can't be ignored, even this early in the game.

Image That's enough out of you!

Image Oh..? Enough?

Image Yeah! You've already lost. Just surrender and make this easy!

Image And you'd promise to spare our lives?

Image Well, no, we can't, but you're too weak to—

Image Bah! Pointless! Before you speak, think!

Image Are you really the sort who should be talking about that, mister made promises he couldn't keep and ran into a fight he can't win?!

Image A promise made should be kept. Those fuckers are the ones who didn't understand that. So I gave them a lesson!

Image But I can see you need one too!
Image Ah, heck.

Image Dino. No more holding back!

Image For Zulu.

We're getting exceedingly unlucky with the speed dice, here. :rolldice:

Dino comes at Elle with I'll End You, his unique page. It's one of the best pages in his deck, but Gamble is roughly equal to its dice rolls for one Light lower.

Molar Office, ya'll. :synthy:

Image Hmmm…

Image I know you wanted to fight for some reason, but why are you staring so intently?

Image Ooh… thaat..? I was just thinkiing… Elle's pretty clever, isn't shee..?
Image Ahaha… you noticed, huh?
Image Uuuuuuh..!

Image We can hear what the observers say when we're down there. You'll understand once you experience it.

Image You're right. I set them up by provoking them, just a bit.

Image Who the hell are you talking to?

Image The audience. But I don't mind explaining it to you, if you want. You take your lead from that mountain over there, right?

Image ...I can't deny that.

Image And?! What! Does that! Matter!

Image Oof…! See..? You're a proud individual. With the right… provocation… I'd be on the receiving end of a punch.

Image So you wanted me to pound your face in first? To protect the others?

Image Not… exactly.

Image She just didn't want you focusing on either of us. We'll take it from here, Elle.

Image What… the..?!

Image The two of us were both faster than her. If your hits had knocked any of us off guard, we'd lose the chance to take care of the both of you. But not if it was Elle.

Image You played me… But how did you know I'd rise to the bait?

Image That was simple. We've dealt with providing therapy for all sorts of people. We're trained to cut to the heart of a person's baggage to provide them the support they need.

Image That's… bullshit!

Image It's basic psychology, you musclehead.

Image Gyeong-mi got totally played. This isn't good… not at all…

Honestly, I just picked Obsession here to save a click. The fight is over.

Image I expected you'd try to run now.

Image There's nowhere to run to. Besides, I owe it to my bros to go down in the same way as them.

Image I understand… Everyone, let's make this quick.

Image I knew this was a bad idea. Knew it…

Image The guests have been eliminated.

Image Yes. Good job, everyone.

Image Thank goodness they were so easy to provoke.

While Gyeong-mi's absurd cheater deck gives him a lot of damage output, in the end his allies aren't much more than a cut above normal Stray Dogs—they're strong, but they come up short compared to Molar Office pages.

Image Um… before we all get to sorting, I had a proposal. Do you think you might like to… read some of these together?
Image Like, their books?

Image Yes. I must admit, I wonder what sort of life that Gyeong-mi must have lived to become the man he is today.

Image Mmm… I dunno if I want to read about someone who gave all three of us bruised ribs.

Image Then perhaps a different book. We can discuss it later?

Image Yeah, that sounds alright.

VIDEO

Image To listen to your silly chirping?

Image To deal with the things those guests say, I mean. A lot of ‘em don’t hesitate to spout harsh words at you. I’m surprised you can withstand it all.

Image They’re our precious guests we invited, so it’s only fair to treat them as such. Besides, I’m already used to keeping others pleased in conversation.

Image I envy that professionalism of yours. Maybe you should give a lecture on hospitality to all the restaurant owners in the Backstreets someday. They could really learn a thing or two from you.

Image …But still, it’ll probably be a lot easier on you to be more flexible with greeting guests, rather than sticking to the same polite attitude.
Image I’ll take note of that.

With our latest battle done with, Netzach's got a new Abnormality Battle opened up. There's not a poll here, however. Just like last time…

Image We're stuck once more. The Library's floors need to wake up more fully.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Image Everyone's staring at me right now, aren't they..?

Image That's correct.

Image Yeah… yeah. I get it. It's my turn to fight. Nevermind that I died the last time…

Image There's nothing to worry about. Your death is nothing more than a temporary setback. You can die as many times as is needed to complete your goal.
Image I'm so honored, miss.

Image "A teardrop fell from the child's dewy eyes, as stars showered from the sky. The world falls into a slumber, trapped in an ecstatic lullaby."

Videos

Stray Dogs 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

oh boy oh boy time for this pain of an abno fight

Brawl is kinda great and also trash at the same time, somehow I completely forgot it can play cost 4 pages, so that is a use, but a lot of higher costed pages have effects that are beneficial, and while it benefits from a smaller hand to limit the potential picks that can lead to some pretty dead hands. that said; brawl is one of the rare handful of cards this early that don't really ever get obsoleted, and I'm sure plenty of later game decks can benefit from a "play something else" card