Doom 64 - My Doom Can Beat Your Doom!

Put your Let's Plays in here.
And the award for most deaths to a cyberdemon in 5 minutes goes tooooo...

Edit: Update on previous page.

There were surprisingly few Cyberdemons in the main campaign, but now we know where they all ended up.

By the way, I think Brutal Doom 64's take on a 64-style Spider Mastermind actually looks kinda neat, in a very campy way:

Yeah, it's very "late 90s sci-fi monster."

Nightdive weren't content to simply update the game - they wanted to make some levels themselves!

I'd like to extend a hearty "Schmuck you" to Derek from Stop Skeletons from Fighting for using the Doki Doki Panic comparison joke after I thought of it, but before I was able to get this part out. I'm quite salty, yes.

These levels do look pretty damn good. My one disappointment with playing the GZDoom version of the game instead of the new port is not having Night Dive's new episode as well.

Although I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Retribution updated to include it, eventually. Then again, I never could find a WAD for the extra Doom II levels in the XBox 360 version...

Somewhat off-topic, but I happened upon this playthrough of the latest map of Sunder, probably the most excessively large-scale Doom WAD, and it's honestly one of the most fascinating maps I've ever seen. Sunder in general has kind of succeeded at developing a visual style that is only possible in the Doom engine; at least I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. It's very much in the Slaughtermap genre of gameplay and therefore probably somewhat inaccessible, but it's just so overwhelming to watch.

These levels continue to be lost. But next week, they'll be last!

Does anyone else think that first puzzle face (visible in the thumbnail) looks like a ferengi from Star Trek: TNG/DS9?

I can see it.

KeiraWalker wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:14 am
Does anyone else think that first puzzle face (visible in the thumbnail) looks like a ferengi from Star Trek: TNG/DS9?
I personally got a bit of a Count Orlok vibe, but I can see it.

Crthemighty is here to fulfill our needs

ThornBrain wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:57 am
:golfclap:

I'm imagining it walking away sideways while wiggling its fingers.

Doom 64 concludes with the last of the Lost and Fun levels. Look forward to Doom (2016), starting next week! We already recorded the first three parts, and they go even more off the rails than this LP did.

The game definitely feels quite different from the earlier Dooms; even the gameplay gives off a different impression despite being literally just a reskin for the most part. And while it didn't get much commercial attention at the time, it does seem to have had quite some influence on doom mapping, especially on maps that go for a darker atmosphere.

For everyone interested in the modding scene, I can recommend this new-ish Youtube channel dedicated to reviews of Doom WADs; I think it's a really nice review style. Over on SA there's also Termin_Dump and crew's ongoing LP of all notable Doom WADs and Doom-related games from 1992 to now. Yes, seriously. They're currently at part 170, that is, in 1996 (the OP isn't quite up-to-date).

This was a lot of fun. Really looking forward to 2016.

Coming to this way late but it was nice to refresh the incredibly vague and foggy memories I had of Doom 64. I had always remembered the Unmaker as just a laser gun not as the new BFG but it seems I certainly remembered the button hunting.