Ohhh... Library Battle SIMULATION: Let's Play Library of Ruina

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Fanart post updated. Have a good one!

Book 47: Prologue, Small Story 3

VIDEO

"The Street," Yun Dong-ju.

Music: Lobby

Image I’ve been feeling ecstatic these days; the memories are fading.

Image You mean the harsh memories of working in that awful corporation?

Image Yes. Those cruel times…

Image The things I didn’t want to see are becoming faint; the things I didn’t want to remember are melting away. When I close my eyes, the moments that come to remembrance are of three or four days ago, not one million years in the past.

Image They are the times of my own… claimed through my own choice. And the flow of time is faster than ever for me. I’m no longer shackled to the fetter of perceiving the hours 100 times slower than humans do.

Image I feel happier with each new day, you know?

Image I’ve never seen you looking so happy before. What do you think of the City and its people that are breaking down because of the Distortion, though?

Image …That, I can’t quite receive with a smile.

Image Still, the despicable man who had locked me up for one million years would fall to despair if he saw what’s happening now.

Image Yes… He’ll endlessly despair. His idiotic and flawed plan caused more people to wallow in agony.

Image He’s going to pay his price in full soon enough.

Image Bring down? No. I told you my aim before. I will become free along with the librarians.

Image On top of that, the Abnormalities that are wandering inside this Library lacking a physical form will be able to leave. Garnering strength by devouring powerful individuals, the Abnormalities would roam the City as they like. That’s what my plan is. I’m setting them free to do whatever they want. And they’ll leave a mark deeper than any Distortion could on the City. The one absolute and perfect book shall be the guide to teach me how to do it all.

Image You’ve got the same ideas as the Blue Sicko out there, huh. The two of you would make wonderful partners in crime.

Image You’re wrong. There’s a world of difference. I have no interest in the “beauty” that Distortions or Abnormalities can arouse. I simply want them to live as they wish, whether they’re beautiful or unsightly.

Image Besides, even if the Blue Reverberation’s intentions were similar to mine, I would never give away my precious possession to a man like that.

Image So you just wanna feel the joy of vengeance, whatever the consequences of your actions might be.

Image That’s what I must do. I was forced to witness countless deaths while reciting a script like a promptress. Such things… are all I could watch and learn. I have to do what I can do well.

Image I have to feel joy as I witness the fall of the plan devised by the man I love yet hate. Even though it’s not… enjoyable to see the City and its people suffer because of me… I still have to feel happy. I’m obliged to. It’s what I’ve been waiting for… until now… If I don’t do this, I won’t be compensated for the million years of lone suffering—nowhere else would I be repaid…

Image …I still long for vengeance. However…

Image Forget it. I could spend all day thinking it over, but I’d reach the same conclusion regardless. I’ll find the one book at all costs and make my wish come true.

Image I suppose that’s not a bad idea.

Image And then… As I previously said, I want to travel around the world. It’ll certainly be fun. Once I’ve laid down all the burdens, of course.

Image …Alright. Let’s give that plan some good thought after we’re done with everything.

Image Haa… hahaa… at laast..!

Image Yesod! Hurry! There's a sighting!

Image Kaori. You've finished with that perfect deck project of yours, I take it?

Image Weell… sort oof..? There are aalways considerations to make, so there is no 'perfect deeck,' so much as synergies and streengths that maximize odds of viictoryy…

Image So are our synergies maximized?

Image Mmmhmm..! I've packed as muuch power as I can into every one of my buiilds..! They're fiinally… acceeptablee…
Image Hold on. Did anyone else just feel that shift in the psionic field just now?

Image …Mmmmmmmh..!

Image Is that… steam?

Image ……………………Daaang… :sigh:

Image I'm sure that what you've put together is already perfectly usable.

Image Yeaah, but… the synergiies..!

Image Will work just fine until you've had a stretch break. You're getting some air. That's an order.
Image Awww… Ookaay…

Despite being a relatively short chapter compared to the rest of the game, Impuritas Civitatis has a total of three Small Stories to cover as well. Since they all unlock at around the same time, I'll be breaking them up for pacing purposes. We'll start with this one.

VIDEO
Music: BinahStory

Image What more needs to be said? My role is only to observe.
Image To observe, is it…

Image Indeed so. Some would think that this is merely a form of neglect. I see that you are one of them.

Image I was simply curious. We haven’t had many opportunities to talk with one another.

Image There were practically none, were there? Neither you nor I left our respective posts. Yet now you have the time to visit me of all people for a chat… It must indicate that we are freer than before, able to spare more of our moments.

Image Do you not welcome this change?

Image I’m not quite certain of my sentiments. Regardless… Have a warm cup of tea, now that you are here.
Image …If you’d be so kind.

There's a page-turn effect here and the next sound effect is the clinking of glasses, so the teatime seems to have gone uneventfully.

Image Maybe so. There are enough variants of black tea that I have not bothered in attempting to imbibe other beverages.

Image Ah, although the azure-maned noble boy insists around the clock that I partake of coffee.

Image It is certainly true that there has been much change. I wouldn’t have expected that he would approach you first to recommend coffee.

Image One day, perchance, all of us will come together. Indeed… It will be quite different from the first time such a gathering took place.

Image I must wonder if the day shall come when we all will engage in casual conversation and share trivial tales. I am rather doubtful of it.

Image Yet deep down, you are looking forward to it. Perhaps everyone shares the same feelings.

Image I’ve finished my cup, so I’ll be taking my leave now. I appreciate the hospitality.

Image Rendezvous anytime. Tea will always be ready and waiting.

Image Oh, welcome back. Have a good chat?

Image Indeed. Her insights are… unique, if nothing else. Has Talow finished yet?

Image Not entirely, sir, but we do have news.

Image Good news, I hope?

Image Maybe. It doesn't seem like there will be any major fluctuations for a while. From what he's sorted out, everything starts the same way. Here's a report on what we have so far.

Image So all roads led to the same place, in the end?

Image To the Hana, specifically. We'll be seeing them soon. It always starts with that.

Image Oh. Are you finished writing?

Image No. Sephiroth won't shut up about trains running or something, and if I'd stayed there working I'd have thrown him out into the mist. Anyways… There's fifteen, maybe twenty? Different pathways all at once. None of them ended well. That damn woman… Dying one at a time is bad enough…

Image We've read the Purple Tear's book frontways, backways, and sideways—not much of a hint there either, just stuff about making different choices to see different results, and sampling them all at once?

Image Then something similar may be going on here. Tell me, who faced the Hana Association?

Image That's where it starts differing. Gebura a few times, Binah some others… Netzach once, Chesed a few times, Yesod a few others… Malkuth.

Image But never us. I see.
Image I don't like where this is going, old man.

Image I do. It's wrecking time, isn't it?

Image You have the right of it. We'll receive the guests ourselves.

Image You sure about this? As far as teams go, we're definitely the weakest…

Image When what we know has failed us, we should try the incomprehensible. It's something I learned from watching Ayin all these years.

Image In that case, I'll check through the keypages and throw something together.

Image Ugh… I can't believe it, but I'm starting to miss when all I had to do was watch.

Image In many ways, we are all simply watching the Library's progress. The light itself determines our path, and Angela walks it as she is meant to. As for the architect of that path…
Image I'm sure she must know, on some level.
Image So are you going to tell us, or…

Image Come. There is much to be done if we are to properly stand on the field of battle..
Image Yeah, okay. Screw you too, geezer…

Image The fewer distractions you have now, the better. Focus on the work in front of you.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: The last normal reception in the game.

Videos

Impuritas Civitatis
Small Story 3

Book 48: Hana Association—Chapter 1

Our first reception requires a hefty set of books—it's worth noting here that if you're ever losing you can just alt+f4 or x out of the game to keep the books you'd wagered instead of finishing the reception. Nobody should have to redo Xiao and Yan just because they couldn't roll above a 4. :v:

VIDEO
Music: StoryJinji

Image Hana Association will officially be in full charge of the matters regarding the Library from now on.

Image Your predictions were right, Director Mirinae.

Image Harold, you won’t survive here for long if you can’t figure this much.

Image …Your thoughts must be complicated right now, Olivier.

Image You won’t botch your job because of that, right?

Image That’s that, and this is this. It’s what he used to say all the time.

Image Good. We have one purpose. To thoroughly examine the relationship between the Distortion phenomenon and the Library. All conflicts are allowed in the process. The Library is a Star of the City that shines over us now.

Image There are still many ambiguous points in their connection… Someone’s got to observe the causality, and that someone’s us.

Image The Library continues to grow in strength, devouring pretty much anything and everything that enters. It’s so fierce, it could consume our City at this rate… That’s why we should figure out how the Library functions as well. To start off, let’s recap the current circumstances.

Image Then I suppose the southern branch of the Liu is being extremely passive at the moment, trying to avoid retaliation from the Thumb?

Image Not exactly. The Thumb is suffering from the same problem. They lost their Underboss who was stationed in L Corp’s Nest as well as a number of competent Capos, so it’s likely that they got knocked out of this strife too.
Image Which means, the only sizable threat remaining in L Corp’s Nest is…

Image Yes, it’s them.

Image When the Library unveiled itself as the fog surrounding L Corp’s Nest cleared away… The Blue Reverberation… No, the Reverberation Ensemble set up camp around it, preventing anyone else from approaching.

Image And they’re generating a concerning number of Distortions from there. Who knows what they’re up to in that base of theirs…
Image The Blue Reverberation… Judging by his recent actions, he can no longer be considered a Fixer… He’s leading a dangerous Syndicate, at least on the level of a Star of the City.

Image …He’s gone mad ever since he lost his sister.

Image Not that I can’t understand how he must’ve felt. The Pianist left an indelible, twisted mark on the City that day.

Image So, how is the workforce going to be distributed?

Image The objective is to retrieve as many books as possible from the Library itself, and secure Distortions from the Nest. And I’d like you to send an official request to all Grade 1 Offices for chasing down the Blue Reverberation.

Image Sections 1 and 2 have other things to do, I assume?

Image You said Section 1 was dealing with the Blue Reverb, and Section 2 was after the Eight Chefs, right?

Image You’ve got it. Furthermore…

Image That can’t be. All of them are gone?

Image I can’t fathom the strength the Blue Reverberation has…

Image And Section 2 sent a report saying that the Eight Chefs have already disbanded. Seven of the chefs were found cooked when they arrived at the site, to be exact. The chefs were all mutilated badly; it was nigh impossible to recognize them.
Image What about the last one?

Image Gone missing.

Image Did they betray their peers… and cook them…?

Image That probably isn’t the case. While what happened does appear to be something the Eight Chefs would do, their favored type of table service was full-course meals, not a buffet. Based on this evidence which suggests interference from outside, the Association HQ is considering to make an official announcement that the Star has fallen.

Image The prime question would be who was behind the dissolution of the Eight Chefs.

Image Could it be…?

Image Indeed. Section 2 speculates that the Reverberation Ensemble might be the culprit.

Image The Blue Reverb might be plotting schemes beyond the Association’s assumptions…

Image There have been worse events in the past, but the frequency and convolution of this situation is unprecedented. Every Association is in a state of emergency, including ours.

Image According to the Seven Association, the southern branches of Tres Association and Cinq Association also suffered losses of important members due to Distortions.

Image Both of which have risen in threat level significantly. Not to mention the Puppeteer. Moreover, Yesterday’s Promise is apparently capable of teleportation with such ease that it puts W Corp’s Singularity to shame…

Image None of those are powers that an individual should be allowed to possess. The Distortion is defying what the City had stood for until now. It’s changing the atmosphere of the City.

Image Is the Head doing nothing about it despite that?

Image They’ve been eerily quiet—or rather, our higher-ups could be intentionally withholding information on the Head’s activity.

Image No. We’ve been ordered to go to the Library, in fact. In order to control this situation, we need unambiguous information about the powers of the Library and its intentions.

Image We have Section 4 to help us place a lockdown on Nest L. We can’t let the Distortions created by the Reverberation Ensemble leave the area.

Image Did the powers that be determine that us Section 3 should be enough to take care of the Library?

Image If it doesn’t work out, then that’s the end of the line for us. It also means there’s nothing more we can do about it. And if that happens, the Library will mark its presence on the sky next to the other Stars as one of the freest beings of the City.

Image While the everyman is working overnight, restrained to the office desk.

Image Anyway, get ready to move, everybody.

Image Mhm. Looks like your goal is almost within reach.

Image That’s right. I’m almost there… That makes it feel even less real. We’ve been through so many things… and now the Hana Association is coming here.

Image You said the Hana Association is the largest among the Fixer Associations, right?

Image Yep. Like I said some time ago, the Hana Association is the institution that grants permits to Offices and grades Fixers. They also adjust the threat levels of incidents in real-time and let everyone know. And the Hana Association sometimes takes matters into its own hands to strike down Stars of the City. Just like now. You’ll be seeing them often, since they’ll keep sending people here as long as we’re a Star of the City in all likelihood.

Image …Strange.

Image What is?

Image Nothing. We have important guests to greet, so just make sure to be prepared.

Music: Entrance

Image Did you know? The Library is visible from anywhere in L Corp’s Nest now.

Image What do you mean?

Image The mist that protects the Library is almost gone. Which means it’ll become possible to demolish the whole Library from the outside soon.

Image So you’d better start making backup plans.

Image Here, let’s shake hands. I’m Mirinae, Director of Section 3 of the Hana Association, Southern Branch.

Image This is my first time shaking hands with a guest.

Image You’ve become a Star of the City, which means you’ll be seeing our Association frequently from now on. Please don’t fall too easily for us, now.

Image Go ahead and shake her hand, everyone.

Image I am Harold, a Fixer from Section 3 of Hana Association’s Southern Branch.

Image Olivier, a Fixer from Section 3 of the Hana’s South.

Image I hope to be greeting you for a long time.

Image The people at Section 2 are expecting you.

Image Got it.

Image …What is the meaning of this?

Image No need to be sensitive. I brought Olivier here so he could get a handshake from you.

Image I’ll see myself out, then.

Image You think we’ve come here with a carefree attitude? No need to worry about us underestimating you. We didn’t come here without a countermeasure, you see. Since you’re a Star of the City, and we’re Fixers of Hana Association… We should treat you with due respect.

Image Prepare yourself. A Star of the City is going down tonight.

Image …Understood. May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: A Star of the City does not go down tonight.

Videos

Hana Association 1

Image The Hana… Wow. Things are sure escalating around here lately, huh.

Image They sure are. Somehow, though, it looks like it's all blowing right over us.

Image That's really the ideal, isn't it? Being the eye of a storm. Making sure that things are fine where you are, even while everything's on fire.

Image It was inevitable, really. Out of all the weirdos in this place, ours are the least weird.
Image Didn't you always complain about Mr.Black's hobbies, though?
Image Course I did! He's creepy as hell!

Image But really, a former food service guy from District 23, who just happens to laugh a lot? He's stable, I'll take him. And Fat Sam…
Image Isn't he perfectly normal?

Image I wouldn't say that exactly, but he and Netzach are basically the Nap Patrol. Add in the most reliable source of booze in the whole Library… and there are worse deals.

Image Yeah… And the Head can't tax anything we make here.
Image We can't die, either… If it weren't for those receptions, this might be pretty good.

Image Well, nothing in life is perfect. Let's go watch someone else get murdered.

Image Oh. Sure, I guess.

Book 48: Hana Association—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Image I believe wearing her page may assist with figuring something out, Talow.

Image Or it could make everything worse. What if that dimensional thing is reflexive?

Image Then I shall try it first, and we shall observe. It's an ideal page for our floor in any case.

Image And if it turns you mental?

Image I have faith that it shall not.

The Purple Tear has four different decks up her sleeve at all times, and no one ever uses all four at once due to how different each build tends to work. Today we'll be focusing on our Guard stance, and in the future I'll focus on whatever stance we start with, showing relevant decks as they come up. The passives here are just pure Defense dice bonuses, so that we can more effectively Block everything to death.

No one else is playing anything particularly noteworthy, as the Hana don't have any specific gimmick outside of "being generically good at everything."

Image Woah… you've got that laid-back chic thing down perfectly, Sephiroth.

Image These fools are no threat to the likes of us… Why should we busy ourselves with proper posture?

Our fight today is another two Act fight, with the first being five standard enemies.

Each of the Hana has the signature ability Four Trigrams. To make a long story short, they can choose to be slightly better at one thing per turn, and when they do they stop being able to be better at that thing until they've chosen all three of the other things.

Music: HokmaBattle01

Image It seems they've sent two squads of Fixers after us. As expected of the Hana themselves, I suppose.

Image Does it matter? Let's just tear them apart and be done with it.

Image That's the way to look at it. They're just humans, same as anyone else.
Image Oh… Hod's team. You're with us. Today.

Image Of course. Given workplace protocol is to talk about something unrelated to keep your mind off of any mental trauma that might be going on, what better than trained conversationalists to try and give form to whatever you wind up saying?
Image You know that protocol barely works, right..?

Image No two people have the same psyche, so we have to use a variety of methods. Some will be more effective than others.

Image Oh! I know the next line, Miss Hod! "Remember: if your mental health's cratering, your therapy plan needs straightening!"

A close look at each of the Hana will show that they have some strange buffs we've never seen before. These are their Four Trigrams buffs, and they come in four varieties.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The Hana can use any of them on their turn, and once it's used they can't use it again until all four have been used. The decision is completely random—they have no problems with throwing out Gam while they're at full Light, for instance.

They use an assortment of decent pages, though of particular note here is Celestial Spear. It's Better Transpierce, and if these guys used Singular Strike or any kind of Pierce buff it'd be scary. Unyielding Strike also has some pretty good dice for what's effectively a 2-cost, but turn 1 is basically a freebie.

Their best attack costs 5 Light, you see. :shepface:

As for the Purple Tear's gimmick, it starts in a random stance. The one that it selected today happens to be Blunt stance, but we want to be in Guard. So we click on our E.G.O button…

And we can change our stance! These pages cost 1 Light each and are immediate, as soon as we play one our stance changes immediately. This also reshuffles our hand and gives us as many pages from the new deck as we had in hand with the old deck. This lets us do some silly things, and we'll cover a few as we go through the rest of the game.

Anyways, we play Guarding Stance and…

Image Ah, that's better.

Image That specialty-changing thing she did not causing any problems?

Image None at all. It's quite natural, so we can adapt to any situation.

Image These guys don't seem too bad… they're just Fixers, same as any other.

Image That's only because you haven't seen their ultimate attack yet. I remember people saying it was nasty… What was it called?

Image Oh, Divinatory Impact? It was on their summary… it looked nasty.

Image …Right. That's the one. Let's just hope we don't see it.
Image So are you ever going to explain why you're cringing every time I talk, or..?

Image No, thanks.

Image To the grave, then?

Image To the grave.

Image In that case, I've got an observation. Their weapons are really malleable—they change shape to match the user's… thought process? Desire, maybe? Either way, they can use them as armor and weapon both.

Image Just don't misjudge the distance, or things can get messy… Oogh, that packs a punch.

Image They can form it around their feet as well, for a sudden burst of speed or to keep their stance against a blow. The distance they can cover is longer than you're thinking it is.

Image Right, I'll get a feel for it as we go.

From turn 2 onward, we need to be vigilant any time that we see one of the Hana using a bunch of Light in one turn.

That's because Divinatory Impact is a pretty strong page. Packing a chunky die of each type, the order of the dice is just as interesting as the rest of the page. The lack of four die pages for us means that the only ways we can hope to avoid damage completely from this attack are either a powerful Counter die, or a 3-die page that leads with an Evade—a die type that is in short supply through most of Star of the City. Moreover, the last die being an Evade acts as a sort of pseudo-Counter die to later onesided attacks, since the odds are it's going to be saved in the Defense queue until it's needed.

Lastly, it absolutely crushes any Summation Mass Attack, with a minimum roll of 30 and an average roll of ~39. Because we have no E.G.O, this particular use will not come up today.

They also use Brace Up this turn, the last page that the base Hana have on hand. It's incredible drawtech for us, especially when paired with Bottom Deal, but it's not worth worrying about right now.

The goal here is to just mitigate damage as best we can, and to build our Emotion Level so that we can steamroll through the second phase of the fight before they can do anything too nasty.

Which is always the goal in this kind of reception, but between Celestial Spear and Divinatory Impact it's slightly harder than usual. :v:

Image I'll take one of those impacts. Any volunteers for the other..?

Image I will give them the opportunity to show me their resolve. As I am now, I cannot be defeated.

Image Confidence is good, just make sure it doesn't get you killed.

Image I wouldn't worry about it. These guys never killed us.

Image You sure..? Because this hits hard.

Image Yeah. Not a once, that I can remember.

Image Their attacks have punch… but if that is as high as they can reach, then I shall forever be beyond them.

Image It's good to hear that these opponents are within our grasp, but don't get overconfident simply because of your memories—the point of the exercise is to change things.

Image And just telling Miss Angela won't work because… why?

Image Tried it once. Ended even worse. THAT one I remember, since it stands out so much.

Image Shall I pretend I am not hearing this conversation, then?
Image Erk. That's…
Image It should have been obvious you would be paying attention to such a stage. We'll simply talk later, so as not to influence your choices.
Image …yes. That will work for now.

Image I can't make heads or tails of what you're babbling about, anyways.

We pick up Lean, Bloody Wings to get Hokma's damage output online. From now on, our Blocks deal damage.

Now that he's ready to go, I have Hokma pull as many attacks as I can while playing a Serpent Barrier to eat three of them in entirety. Now that we have Wings set up, there isn't much else to showcase from our current opponents—it's all about execution.

So we execute them. :getin:

Image Okay, I got my footing back. Let's go take another beating.

Image In moderation, Talow.

Image Says the geezer who's only blocking attacks.

Image You know precisely why I've chosen this strategy.

Image I'll set them up, and leave them for you all to finish off.

Image And I'll take care of the real work. Ghh…

Image Talow, you're taking a bunch of damage… don't overextend yourself.

Image To the grave, Medea. :rolleyes:
Image That didn't mean to go die, moron.

Image No problem! I'll just wipe them out faster than they can slice through us, and it'll all be good!

Image Trying to alter the natural flow of life into death… Hah. Laudable, if you hold the strength to do it.

Image Speaking of, I'll be tapping into the power of imminent demise from here on out. It's depressing enough to give this body a power boost.

Music: HokmaBattle02

Image Kinda morbid, isn't it?

Image I don't think you get to talk.

Image Heads up you guys, their formation's crumbling. We're an inch away from finishing them off!

Image Then we shall plunge them into the darkness evermore.

Image Yeah, well… it's done. Let's move on.

Image Caterwauling clocks! You gave those guys a butt-kicking in no time at all!

Image Most of you have taken some big hits, though.

Image We are no strangers to difficulty.

Image Just don't die, okay?

Our second Act is against Mirinae and Harold, alongside three more of the Hana Fixers. The three generics are the exact same, but as is tradition by now Mirinae and Harold are both a cut above them.

Mirinae has the ability to pass any of the basic buffs she gets from pages on to her allies. This includes the boosts she gets from Four Trigrams as well—if she uses Geon it means two enemies will be getting 1 Strength that turn, for instance.

As for Harold, her All for Hana ability functions as a sort of reactive armor to give her an Endured resistance against whatever dealt the most damage to her last turn. It makes her somewhat bulky, in practice.

If we just keep hitting her she'll get Staggered eventually, though, so it's more of a speedbump here than anything.

Music: HokmaBattle02

Image Well… Here we are. What's your analysis, Harold?

Image Their mindsets are fundamentally different from those of Fixers. There's… one at most who would warrant a grade above nine.

Image And yet they stand here, as parts of a Star of the City. That just goes to show you how powerful the Library is.

Image A Star is a Star… the specifics of their powers change, but the way to defeat them never does.

Image Well said. Let's show these guys they're not as high as they think, hmm?

Both Harold and Mirinae have access to True Trigram Formation, a very powerful page whose effects differ based on which of the four formations they've used.

…Like so. Harold is in Gam here, so the True Trigram Formation will give +1 Light on use. Because she'll be gaining an Emotion Level this turn, this makes it redundant.

.Image

A new Act also means that Hokma's randomly chosen Blunt stance. I could immediately switch back to Guard, but he also opened with Mirage Storm and 7 Light. I decide to do that instead.

Image Insulting my coworkers… I've got to tear them one in your honor.

Image Confident, aren't we? Come on. We know who the one Fixer would be.

Image We don't have to worry about that Divinatory Impact just yet, Hokma… Try to make this leeway count.

Image I intend to.

Image He's mimicking that Purple Tear! Direct your weapons to defensive posture! Maximum leg reinforcement!

Image I'll weather this storm, for certain.

Image This 'storm' was simply a means to rock the boat somewhat. Consider it a trade for your attempt before.

Image You figured that much out, did you?

Image As if you were even hiding it.

Image So the old man can lead, as well… troublesome.

Image Sorry to cut in, but I just heard something unforgivably stupid.

Image Oh..? There's no need to be jealous. With age comes wisdom.
Image Now listen here, you little brat..!

Image While that one breaks himself against Harold, I'll take care of the weakest link.

Image That's…a bit much…

Image Is it?

Image Anyone could see you're holding back. That stab was barely a scratch… You're too soft to kill.
Image Well excuse me for having a problem with murder!

Image Such high-minded idealism can only come from those with privilege.

Image The woman seeks to shake our resolve… Come, then. I shall taste your despair.

Image Yeah! Like, if we wanted to get psychoanalyzed, Hod's already right here?

Image Therapy isn't exactly about psychoanalyzing anyone, though…

At our next Abnormality Level, we grab Silence for Hokma.

This adds the two new Combat Pages to his hand, but honestly they're not worth much to us in this particular fight.

However, if we change our stance to Guard…

Those pages are counted when it comes time to calculate our new hand size—this works with anything that adds pages to our hand, and the pages removed are gone forever. Even swapping back to the stance we were in won't bring Silence and Amplify back.

We also finally get a chance to stuff Divinatory Impact with Counter dice—its rolls are high, but Hokma's rocking a +5 to all Defensive dice, making his wins guaranteed.

Music: HokmaBattle03

Image Now, let's end this before they can find their footing.

Image It seems we've made one miscalculation, Harold.

Image Have we?

Image We brought too many allies. With the way the Library split us, it allowed these ones to warm up… so they can bring their full power to bear immediately against us.

Image In the future, send small teams of highly competent fighters. That's the best chance to stop the Library.

Image So our own run is lost, I take it?

Image It's a stalemate, at worst. We've got more plans to fall back on.

Image Don't worry about those! They'll fail too.

Image That's some confidence for someone who can barely stand.

Image Just took me a while to get warmed up today.

Image Oh yeah! My grandpa used to have that problem, too!

Image Sephiroth, are you okay? You're taking a lot of hits as well…

Image My counterattack failed me… but their power is nothing compared to Mother's.

Image Just hold on, I'll be right there!

Image There we go. I got you.

Image …Your assistance is appreciated, if unnecessary.

Image Khh..!

Image I think we've got everything under control now!

Image Don't say it before the fight's over…

Image We're already killing off their sidekicks. That's basically the end, isn't it?

Image I guess so, but one of you might still get hurt if you let your guard down.

Image I shall see to it that does not happen.

Image That's not entirely up to you.

Image Rather than vain provocations, I would recommend you savor what time you have left.

While Divinatory Impact is a very powerful page, it can backfire on the user if they run into a brick wall like Hokma here. After the first block, Mirinae's still got 84 SR to work with…

But over five dice, that gets cut all the way down to 14.

Image His defense is absurd… I can't even see him past those tendrils.

Image Such is the point.

Image I'm a little… anyways, can I take a second?

Image We should be able to accommodate that.

Image I'll take a second, too.

Image It's fine. I'll kill them… I'll kill them all.

Image Talow?

Image He's gone into that Rabbit battle frenzy… Best to stay out of his way for now.

At this point, I make a conscious choice: Both Mirinae and Harold are only at Emotion Level 2, and I want them to hit 3 or higher to ensure that I get copies of their books—back in the R Corp 2 fight I killed Nikolai so early that her book didn't actually drop and had to redo the entire fight afterwards, and I'm not interested in doing that again. Library of Ruina does have a feature which guarantees you get at least one copy of each book necessary for progression, but because I didn't remember what the next fight required I didn't want to chance it.

Thus, we slow down.

Image Coming for me now that I'm weakened, eh?

Image Rabbits have good senses, you know. I can smell your weakness. Your fear.

Image Oooh. I see. So that's the kind of person you are.

Image More talk, eh? Admitting that you're about to lose?

Image Maybe. But I won't run away, at least.
Image The hell are you talking about?

Image You stuttered and choked at nothing, then got yourself beaten almost to death to escape that. Even now, you can only fight properly because of that body's own properties. Between this and that… You're a coward, aren't you?

Image :catstare:

Image I think it's time you stop talking.

Image Hssh… Hit a nerve, huh..? But you can't say I'm wrong, can you?

Image I can say it just fine. You're wr—
Image …ah.

Image You were a distraction.

Image Ma'am, I don't think I can hold their leader back any longer.
Image She's off-balance... Everyone who's left, regroup now.

Image Not many left to listen to you, I'm afraid.

Image Then I'll strike back..!

Image So even the acclaimed Fixers of the Hana Association can panic.

Image Nngh… I've bought all the time I can…

Image You've done just enough.

Image I'll take care of things from here.

Mirinae brings out her other unique attack this turn: Augury Kick. This attack gives Strength, and even more of it when it hits with the first attack. Because of Mirinae's passive, this means that someone else will also get all the Strength that she gets from this page.

It's a bit late for that to matter, though, because Talow has 20 charge and I can finally use Feral Knives. This Mass Attack will deal 15 true damage to whoever we directly target with it on that last die, and because Harold is out regardless that means making sure to target Mirinae.

Image Don't think you've won. You may have stopped us, but the next group… They'll stop your leader for certain.

Image Yes, you'll keep coming until we fall. You've implied as such. Know, however, that this Star will be forever out of your reach.

Image I'm ending them all. Anyone have a problem with that?

Image Nope, you're good to go.

Feral Knives is another in the increasingly popular 'Move around quickly and stab everyone with each die roll' style of Mass Attacks.

Image More…

The main difference with this one is blood spatter and the orange R Corp trail as the user moves from target to target.

Image Faster… stronger…

Image I'll tear all of you apart!

Image So this is as far as I go…

Image Truly, to make something so powerful it can make opponents like these turn into our equals…

Image The Library has earned its place as a Star, at least.

Image Shut your goddamn mouth already!

Image Gah-!

Image Talking like you know everything. Picking holes in everyone. Saying we don't deserve to stand on the same level as you. You don't know shit about us. What we've survived.

Image Even if you never wanted to. Funny how that works out, isn't it?

Image …What are you implying?

Image You've beaten us due to a miscalculation on my part. I can admit that. So I'll tell you two things. First: you shouldn't underestimate our information gathering ability.

Image My guard… she's managed to overcome it.

Image And the second: That we will figure out how to slip past your every defense.

Image Then we'll just make new ones! Easy.

Image As if… Simply overcoming our expectation once was a miracle. To do it twice…

Image We'll do it as many times as we have to.

Image Even if we hate it. We're not playing around either, you know.

Image Their lives have returned to the darkness. As all things shall.

Image So, Talow. Did this wind up helping you with anything?
Image …mmh.

Image Arbitrary adrenaline crashes… that can't feel good.

Image I'm not entirely sure that's entirely adrenaline, Paul.

As befits the final normal Reception, the Hana Association are a strong group of fighters that require us to be decent at the fundamentals of the game in order to beat them. They don't have any gimmicks like Index targeting, however, nor do they force us into an even match. Because of that, we're able to follow the Library's textbook strategy of building Emotion Level in Act 1 in order to blitz down all of the more dangerous Act 2 before they can do real damage to us.

Music: Result

Image If it's all the same to you, Hokma, I'd rather we never did that again… Watching it's one thing, but actually putting a sword in someone… Ugh.

Image I can't promise that, for obvious reasons. We still have work to do, to determine the shape of what may come. Angela, might I make a request?

Image As I become more human, it has become increasingly easy to tune things out. I will focus my attention elsewhere.

Image In truth, it is rather refreshing to no longer be committing to memory every word of what every person in this place says.
Image I would have expected you to be curious.

Image I am.

Image However, you stated that simply telling me would somehow make the outcome worse.

Image I haven't yet forgotten what can happen when you reveal the inner workings of someone else's machinations to those trapped within it.

Image Quite an odd thing for you to say, as the owner of this Library.
Image I will speak with you all later.

SNAP

Image Huh. She ran?

Image Perhaps knowing about the Blue Reverberation's plan is getting to her…

Image Alright, that's quite enough chatter. My team, pick up the books. Talow, back to your writings. I have faith you shall complete them shortly.

VIDEO
Image Is there someone you know among them?

Image I was thinking I might have to face an old friend of mine. Good thing I didn’t.

Image By the way, it looks like the situation out there is worse than I imagined. Even the Hana Association is making a big deal.

Image Could the City be breaking down?

Image Nah, I don’t think you have to worry about that. The City carries on somehow. As long as the Head stands, the City’s nature won’t change.

Image What does the Head do, exactly?

Image It’s shrouded in layers of secrecy, so no one knows in detail. A Corp—the Wing directly run by the Head—does stuff like managing patents, minting, and authorizing Wings on the surface. It’s in control of all the important factors that make the City breathe, basically. And they seek out anyone plotting to overthrow the City and uproot them.

Image That makes the Head one of the Wings, at least ostensibly.

Image Through Arbiters and Claws?

Image Huh, how’d you know about that?

Image The research facility the Red Mist used to be part of fell because of the Head. To protect her colleagues, Kali killed the Arbiter and the Claws before succumbing to injuries herself.

Image I can only guess that she fought with all her strength to save those behind her to the last breath, and I suppose that is something that could never be replicated.

Image I can kinda picture how that would’ve looked.

Image Well, going back to where I was… When the Head determines something to be an impurity of the City, they’ll send Arbiters, Beholders, and Claws to try and get rid of it.

Image Was their research an impurity to the City…

Image Something about that story doesn’t sit well with me, though. I heard it from Hod and asked her the same question…

Image As the other librarians likely have said to you, she is telling you the truth. Though I don’t know the reason, either… Is the Head staying quiet at the moment because they deemed the current state of the City to be acceptable?

Image I guess? It’s not like we’ve had a visitor from the Head…

Image The Head coming to the Library… I’m curious how it will turn out.

Image Sure, you’ll want to draw as much attention as possible if you wanna live long.

After the Hana Association battle, we get the necessary books to do our last pair of Realizations. Long-time readers are probably expecting that a poll will be coming soon, but it's not quite time for that…

Hana Association is the last of our two-part nodes, so we have to complete it first.

Image Maaaan… in the end it feels like we didn't really accomplish much of anything.

Image I wouldn't be so sure of that. If nothing else, I confirmed my theory on why Talow's been rushing out of his therapy sessions the moment I show up.
Image Wait, you noticed that? So why's it happening? He hasn't mentioned anything to me.

Image Simple, Elle Tee: Imagine you spent two months being incredibly Not Over It with an ex who shot you down. Then imagine you were left alone for about thirty years, having no company outside your own thoughts. What do you think would happen?
Image Oh. I think I get it!
Image Then explain it to me?

Image It's cringe. That reaction is his attempt to not immediately roll up into a ball and die of shame.

Image Oh… like when I think about my school days.

Image Exactly.

Image Jeepies. Our handbooks don't have any information on how to handle that kind of problem!

Image That's because we don't have to. A problem like that isn't going to kill him unless I decide to beat him down myself.

Image So… to the grave, then?

Image Hah! Maybe later.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Olivier returns, and we get more handshakes.

Videos

Hana Association 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Mirinae, Harold, Olivier Exclusive:

Book 48 Intermission: Small Story 8

Image Malkuth? I don't see you here very often. Where are you going?

Image I'm heading up to Hokma's floor to say hello.

Image Were we that close before..?

Image All the more reason to say hello, don't you think? We're all working together now.
Image You hold a valid point. Very well, I shall accompany you.

Image Right. Let's talk lots about work!

VIDEO
Music: HokmaStory

Image Hey Tiphy! Hey Roland! What brought you two here?

Image Nothing big. These books seemed a bit too heavy for her to carry on her own. Though… I’m already bringing a whole lotta books here myself. What more does this old man want…?

Image That’s not exactly the most appropriate thing to say in front of the person to whom you’re referring, is it, sir?

Image …And since when did you start addressing me so politely?

Image I simply desire to read many books. I would rather not spend my time in complete idleness.

Image Let’s see… What books did our resident geriatric want to read so much that he’d ask Tiphereth to pick ‘em?

Image “Continuity of Life”… “Bioengineering Technologies”… Boy, this is straight out of a biology shelf.

Image He’d gone through chemistry the other day.

Image I wouldn’t have made you go through the trouble had I known that you would bring this many books… I owe much gratitude to you for your continued assistance, young miss.

Image I did think about asking for help… But Roland came over and lent his hand, so I chose not to.
Image I didn’t really expect you to ask for stuff like this, Mister Hokma. I thought you would know all this already.

Image I am reading them multiple times so that the knowledge won’t be lost from my memory.

Image I see what you mean. The same sentence can give off different impressions every time you read it.
Image Mmh… Cultured people talking cultured things I don’t get. Anyhoo, what were you guys doing here?

Image Little more than insignificant chatter which is related to the work we do in this place.

Image That’s what we were up to. As you indulge in work, you pile up all kinds of feelings!

Image …Does that mean you were mouthing off about your boss?!

Image And then she’d show up like she saw nothing and…

Image Aren’t you the one talking about your boss behind her back?

Image We were mostly chatting about receiving guests. Hmm… Oh right, Yesod complained about Angela, too!
Image Malkuth, don’t say anything that could cause confusion. My complaint was simply about the stacks of books remaining in the corridors which are making a disordered sight.

Image I mean, you’re basically saying that you don’t like how untidy the Library is, right?

Image Still, great efforts are being exerted to constantly receive a variety of guests, and that is worthy of praise in itself. That extends to you folk as well.

Image Well, I’ve gotten pretty used to it by now, so it’s no biggie really.

Image That said, regarding your concern… there is little to worry about. While Talow is finishing his work, she has decided to turn her attention to other sections of the Library.

Image Work? What's that stuffy guy up to?

Image Divining the future, courtesy of that Purple Tear woman. Which I've finished while you all were chatting, by the way.

Image How interesting. Be careful that you do not enable whatever future you seek to avoid.
Image You're leaving?

Image I seek to observe this place, and see with my own eyes what comes of it. Knowing what may happen before it does would only serve to cause bias.

Image Yeah… if it's something that she caused, we should give them some space. For sure.

Image You think so?

Image Absolutely. Let's leave them to it. I'll even treat you to some coffee.

Image At Chesed's expense, I'm sure.

Image You caught me… C'mon. Let's just clear the room, ASAP.

Image I'm not entirely sure that was necessary…

Image Be that as it may, speak.

Image Okay, so. It was really a pain in the ass to figure out everything—there's no sequence to it. It just came in all at once, and it took time to get everything sorted out. Basically, we finish our work with the Hana. Needless to say, we didn't do much. Sometimes I looked in, most of the time I was back here doing whatever. They're no trouble. But after that, usually something would happen on Binah's floor. I could feel it from here.

Image Another of those 'Realizations,' surely. Those three birds are long past overdue to reunite.

Image Yeah. And then… something happens, there's a lot of yelling, we fight a rear end in a top hat—

Image The skeletal gentleman?

Image Yeah. Sometimes he kills us, sometimes we kill him, eventually things come to an end. Except they don't. Something happens upstairs. Another guest. A big one, rumbling like a Realization.

Image You never saw who?

Image I saw something a few times, but it sure as hell wasn't a person anymore. Then smoke spread all over everything. After that, the system was cut off until it was over. The next thing I know, I come to in a warzone, Bishop's pre-murdered in one of five or six different ways, and I get the hell out of there. Then there's a voice, something about the cruel fate of living in a cycle where I can't do anything but watch. I agree that I have to break out of it, and… nothing. It ends there.
Image I see. And you were unaware of the state of things in these visions?

Image In all but one. No idea how that works, but to be fair I'm not used to having my brain raked over the coals like this. That time, I tried to warn everyone and Angela listened. She wound up fully completing our floor before Binah's, and. Well, I'll make a long story short: It's WhiteNight again, and us without a dragon to throw at it. We don't even have a skull.

Image Were we successful in defeating it?

Image I guess? I was dead for the end of it, but man what a pain in the ass… It's still on its god of the new world schtick. From there, things went about the same. No rumble from Binah's floor, we fight the skeleton again, smoke monster appears, only this time there's some sketchy-looking… thing with a sword right through Angela's gut. Next thing I know, I'm unraveling into pages as the Library stops existing. It turns out even after 10,000 years there were ways to die I hadn't discovered yet.

Image Then, to summarize: no matter what, there was never a time in which both Apocalypse Bird and WhiteNight were faced?

Image Pretty much. The Library never had quite enough time to complete itself.

Image Then its completion must be our priority. Unfortunately… the manner of its completion is entirely out of our hands. We must trust in Angela and that the path the Light has laid out for her will succeed this time.

Image Okay, and what if it doesn't?

Image Then it will mean the Light itself has betrayed us. We can only have faith that it will not.

Image It all comes back to faith again, eh?

Image Ah, Talow. Everything in this world is ultimately about faith. We must believe in something, or we can only have nothing.
Image Can I be dismissed before this becomes a sermon..?

Image It may do you some good to listen for once…

Image Alright, then.
Image Rooooland? Where'd you get to?! I had to ask Chesed to start brewing without you!

Image Ah, sorry, sorry! I'm coming! Just taking a moment to really see how backed up the books are. Yesod's right, they really are all over the place…
Last edited by TeeQueue on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Book 48: Hana Association—Chapter 3

The second chapter requires books of Mirinae and Harold. As a side note, all of the books of the Hana Association will give results as though they were Tier 2 or 3 Star of the City books should we use them for General Receptions. The new content from here on is all very straightforward to get to.

VIDEO
Music: None

Image All that’s left is to settle this my way.

There is a tiny swish here, as her sentence is cut off. What happened will become apparent soon enough.

Image The Purple Tear was right, you are nearly indistinguishable from a human now. At the same time, the power of the Library which protects you has gotten weaker.

Image …What is the meaning of this?

Image You should be more careful when your body is made of flesh rather than metal. But it seems you can’t die from having your head chopped off yet.

Image Sigh… I suppose I can’t. I was wondering what you were up to.

Image There’s still an abundance of options that don’t involve killing.

Music: None

The lettering during this part wavers and slides around, a unique effect we don't see anywhere else.

Image A workshop-crafted assassination device with T Corp’s Singularity applied to it, bought just for you. You may have power, but you’re certainly gullible.

Image That’s what happens when you accept handshakes from those who oppose you without having a hint of doubt.

Image First, it paralyzes the target, and when I p—

Image The device overloads the human brain, causing their mind to experience a thousand years of time passing by… Which is more than enough to ruin the average person’s brain. Just like the WARP trains, huh.

Image …Olivier. You went to the lengths of the world to join the Hana Association, and now you resort to this extravagant little gadget of doom.

Image Did you blow your entire fortune on this thing or what? And you spoke too much.

Image It’s been a while, Roland… I was waiting for you to show up. So you’ve been guarding this monster mimicking a human all along?

Image Whoa now, she’s no monster, y’know? She’s my responsible boss and a good friend.

Image Angela. I’ll deal with this fella on my own, so please back off for a bit.

Image …Thanks. You don’t need my help?

Image I have to take care of this matter on my own. This is between him and I, so you don’t have to worry.

Image Alright. …You can call me anytime if you need assistance.

Image What you’re doing isn’t any different from all the tragedies we’ve seen and gone through… You’ve been perpetuating it in the Library with that machine.

Image …I won’t expect you to understand me.

Image …Take these. The gloves of the Black Silence. And let’s say we’ve evened the score now.

Image With this, I got all the help I could ask of you.

Image I’m partly responsible for what happened to you, which led you here…

Image Neither of us had parents or any real family, so you probably thought no one would be concerned about you. And you were wrong. I was actually pretty worried for you, unlike some others in Charles’ Office.

Image A bunch of thoughts came to my mind when you left after making a lengthy ramble. Not long after that… I heard news that a person who appeared to be the Black Silence was on a crazed rampage across the City. Said he was slaughtering Syndicates that were doing suspicious experiments left and right. His wave of destruction didn’t discriminate. Even Fingers and Fixer Offices were caught in its wake…

Image I almost had to question myself for a moment when I heard that you crushed a good half of the Middle in the south. It was as if you were venting out all of your frustrations and resentment on the City. And if that were the case… I thought you might keep going and demolish the City itself out of sheer anger and madness.

Image C’mon, you’re blowing things out of proportion again.

Image Anyone would’ve thought the same thing if they had looked into your eyes behind that dark mask at the time.

Image Thanks for worrying, man. I was concerned you might have died an unfortunate death somewhere out there.

Image I appreciate you coming over to help me along that short call that day… Sorry about… what happened next.

Image Never mind it. I only rushed to save your ass ‘cause you said I might get a Nest Migration permit.

Image I’m sorry for all the trouble.

Image How’re the others doing, anyway? Like Ogier or Astolfo.

Image Joining Wings, exploring the Ruins… They’ve found their ways to make a living for themselves. We just aren’t how we used to be. We’ve grown too distant.

Image I see.

Image …Say, ‘member when the two of us handled an Urban Nightmare case for the first time? The uh… What was that case called…

Image The Secret of the Demi-glace Sauce, which occurred in the Backstreets of District 16.

Image Yeah, that! We were just about done with it, and then your arm almost got caught in a blender at the last moment. Though thanks to me, you saved yourself the need to get a new arm. That was one thrilling job.

Image Huff… Let’s set the record straight.

Image C’mon man! Can’t you let me come out on top for once!

Image …Those were the days, still. We didn’t have to worry about too many things, and just stuck to the matters at hand.

Image Yeah… But you know we can’t go back to those times anymore, Roland. You swallowed your anger and sadness to work with that machine, so I don’t doubt that you’ve prepared yourself for a lot of things.

Image I know. Both of us have gone too far down our roads. It was nice talking to you after a long while though, Olivier.

Image I’m only doing my job as a Fixer of the Hana Association now. To retrieve the books of my colleagues, and dispatch threats.

Image That’s that, and this is this. Isn’t that right?

Image …Right you are. That’s that, and this is this.

Image …Let us begin.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: No Passives, Roland only, Final Destination.

Videos

Hana Association 3

Image That device… I nearly…

Image Is this what being human entails? This sense of… unease?

Image Ah, yes. I recall it. The humans I saw every day were uneasy as well. Perhaps that is simply how it is within the City.

Image Indeed… It is something that needs to be changed.
Image You are quite certain? That sounds difficult to believe.

Image True. I will see soon enough…

Image No, it's nothing. Soon, the one book will be in my hands. On that day, everything will be finished. This… is all to get what I'm owed.

Last week I realized that this LP wasn’t finished (I was about halfway through at the time) and I promptly doubled down on my reading in order to catch up before it was finished… it still doesn’t quite feel real yet now that I actually made it.

TeeQueue, I want to thank you so much for making these LPs. I love the agents, the dynamics, the little dialogues you write, the setup– while reading it is certainly a lot of time investment, no other playthrough could make me smile this much. I know you put a lot of time and effort into making this into what it is, and you really are going the extra mile for us-- and I’m very grateful for that : )

I initially started reading your Lobcorp LP because I didn’t think I wanted to get the game but I wanted to know the story anyway, but funnily enough, reading your LP changed my mind about that– soon as I get a computer that won’t fry immediately, I’m buying LC and LoR for sure. I’ve also been inspired by all your agent shenanigans to create some agents of my own; I now have several dozen new OCs and a 30,000-word lore doc, so… suffice to say, your LPs have had a huge impact on me and I’m so glad I found them.

Anyway, I’m stoked to be here to see the last chapter unfold in real time. I can’t wait to see the endgame-– great job so far, good luck moving forward, and again, thank you so much for doing this!

While I’m here, please accept my (very belated) offering of a Very Accurate Depiction of Argalia recruiting Philip into the ensemble:

Sorry for rambling, I just have Feelings about this : P have a great day!

Book 48: Hana Association—Chapter 4

Image Alright, boss. I just changed my reed and I'm ready to—

Image Not today, Steve. This one is my duty. You guys can all just watch.

Image Are you sure, si—

Image Okay, boss. We'll have a siesta. You want your privacy, right?
Image Appreciated. This is something I have to do.

Our reception today is a simple 1v1. It doesn't actually matter what Key Page we put on Roland here, as they actually don't matter..

Those gloves have unlocked Roland's keypage of the Black Silence.

Roland's new keypage comes complete with Speed 3, a ban on any alterations to our Combat pages, and an ability that gives him +2 Pages at the start of combat, while giving +2 Power to all dice on every third Combat Page he plays. Keeping track of that tempo makes him a bit more effective, and I always forget to do that.

Olivier, meanwhile, has one of the best chassis in the game for raw combat. The Twelve Fixers is great, giving a +2 to Minimum rolls that helps protect against terrible rng, while Four Trigrams is always useful and All for Hana ensures he has a solid defensive core to keep him going for a while.

Duel is actually a handicap skill, which powers Roland up. The Black Silence's Combat pages have dice that are at best only slightly more powerful than Olivier's pages, so in order to give us a fighting chance with a deck we don't know, Roland will be getting a hefty chunk of bonus HP and SR to even things out.

Music: KeterBattle01

Image Very kind of the Library to give me this opportunity. A simple 1-on-1 fight, without any frills.

Image Ah, your boss's notes said that this would be the right way to proceed, didn't they?

Image We observed as much, yes.

Image That's the Hana I've always heard of.

Olivier mostly uses the same attacks as his fellow Hana Association members, but we still have pages to show off: Our own. Over the course of this fight, we'll be seeing all of Roland's attacks, as the point of it is to give the player a chance to feel out his new abilities. He's no Red Mist or Binah, but he's got some good stuff in his own right.

First up, we have Durandal—a pair of decent dice that we really want to hit with as they give Roland +1 Strength next turn for each successful attack.

Each of his pages has an icon next to the cost as well—like with Blade Unlocked on the Proxies, this is just an indicator that we haven't played it yet.

Mook Workshop, meanwhile, is one of Roland's new recovery pages—2 Light for 1 Draw and 3 Light recovery, with a relatively chunky single die to work with. It's very good for breaking single Counter dice or stopping pages with one Offensive die lead.

How we line up our clashes is important in this fight, and on this turn we can't actually redirect either die. Since both are pointed at our rear die, I decide to eat a Celestial Spear die to ensure that we stop the Brace Up. Durandal aims for a one-sided attack, I'd really like to get that bonus to Strength.

Image Well. No need to put this off any longer.

Image Guh..!

Image You never did waste time.

Image And you never fought without that mask of yours.

Image You're right. I never have.

Image Is that the face you were always making, then?

Image This is just for business.

Image Of course.

I would have loved to get Lies here, but unfortunately didn't lose enough clashes to make that happen. Heart of Aspiration it is, since I would like to ideally control what goes where… and 15% of over 200 is pretty hefty.

Image …Back to business, then.

Image Right. Business.

Olivier is also capable of using Augury Kick, and we'll be stuffing it with Wheels Industry. It's got a massive 14-24 first die, and as the third Combat Page Roland will have used he'll get another +2 to it. It also destroys a die on the opponent's page upon winning a Clash, so it's actually great for blocking strong 2 or 3-die enemy pages.

The other page I use this turn is Old Boys Workshop, a powerful Light generation page that gives us a 1-for-3 trade, as well as letting us draw a page on use. If its attack hits, we also heal SR as well—it's very useful and worth playing almost any time it shows up.

Wheels Industry manages to completely stuff Augury Kick, of course.

And the Old Boys Workshop restores some of our SR.

With only one target available, Pale Hands is my other pick here—we could have taken Curiosity here, but Roland's got enough draw potential to keep things flowing regardless, making it worthless without Lies to go along with it.

Music: KeterBattle02

Image You know… it's funny.

Image What's funny?

Image That move you used just now… It was so awkward. Did the Library make you rusty?

Image You try wearing other people's bodies and see how comfortable you are afterwards.

Image That's why you haven't done that yet, then.

Image If I could have, I already would.

Image I have to warm up first.

Image I know. I saw how you handled yourself last time.

Furioso counts how many of his nine pages Roland has used, letting us see at a glance how many more we need to play to have used all of them. Right now, we've used four.

Meanwhile, the single sword is his Black Silence ability, which tracks how close we are to our third attack. On this turn, it'll be the second page that we use—remembering this exists can let us win clashes we otherwise wouldn't, so it's handy to keep the tempo in mind here.

Olivier throws down one of his new pages this turn: Double-edged Rencounter. It's a decent 3-cost page that makes subsequent dice get a +3 maximum roll when they win their Clashes. I've decided to block it with Crystal Atelier, a completely basic 3-cost page for Roland that has his only Counter die in the deck. This is actually very stupid of me, for the following reasons:

-Roland will not be getting his +2 Power on this attack.
-Olivier has +1 Endurance and +2 Strength, alongside a +2 to minimum dierolls.

This means the first clash is a 10-11 vs a 8-11, and it doesn't get better from there. Still, we have to play it eventually!

The other page we play this turn is Allas Workshop, which can use the +2 Power from being the third Combat Page played and its own -2 enemy Power effect to crush an Augury Kick.

If I'd been thinking, I would have shoved Crystal Atelier and Allas onto Augury Kick, to allow us to get a onesided attack off while praying for our Counter die to stop some of Rencounter, but I am not smart so I just clashed everything and called it a day.

Image That mask made you sloppy. You look where you're trying to strike.

On our next turn, both Olivier and Roland hit Emotion Level 3. One of the handy things about this fight is how balanced the Emotion gains are, making sure that we're never behind in total Speed Dice unless we get Staggered… at which point we'll have bigger problems to deal with.

On this turn, Olivier's using Geon to get bonus Strength, so I have to fire off Wheels Industry to block a Power-boosted True Trigram Formation. I also try to block a Celestial Spear with Learn, but that's really just wishful thinking. Olivier's 3 Strength and +2 minimum/+1 maximum dierolls weigh the odds heavily in his favor.

I also progress our Furioso stacks by playing Zelkova Workshop, a draw page which cannot have its cost changed by anything—most importantly Lies. It's decent enough drawtech outside of that.

And so, as if by cruel twist of fate the two old friends fought. There wasn't any more need for words between them. Sound itself seemed to fade between the pair.

Aside his one lucky blow, Olivier shows the clear upper hand.

Time and again his weapons strike home, overpowering Roland's blades.

But Roland has more blades he can call upon.

Blades, knives, and even guns that remain unused.

Music: KeterBattle03

Roland focuses entirely on breaking his old friend's stance before his own can be broken.

And so, the sounds of gunfire ring through the empty floor—a pair of pistols and a shotgun forcing Olivier back.

And the hesitation allows Roland to dash forward with his favorite sword: a pair of slashes that nearly take Olivier over the edge…

Nearly, but not quite.

Their willpower, as much as their skills, are tested as they dance on the edge of a knife. The slightest mistake could be the end of it all.

For an instant, Roland leaves his back open. Not anything more than a half-second of an opening, at most.

In a battle between two high-level Fixers, that opening is more than enough.

And now we are in serious trouble, as Olivier decides to use the strongest page in his deck.

Impugnatio Ultima is actually for discard decks, pitching Olivier's entire hand in exchange for +2 Power on every die on the page.

It hits exactly as hard as you'd think.

But whether through hesitation or miscalculation…

Olivier can't quite finish the job, either.

Music: GuestBattle03

Roland, 7 HP. Olivier, 8 SR. The next hit will determine the winner.

The edge of a knife.

And it's here that Roland uses his trump card, a unique E.G.O page much like the other Colors have had.

Furioso. An incredibly powerful attack, but one that requires all the other pages of the Black Silence keypage be used first.

The pair stare each other down. Neither man speaks—there isn't any point. The gloves of the Black Silence are working at their maximum capacity, and with it not a single sound can be heard within the room…

…aside the sounds of Roland's weapons, doing their bloody work.

And in the end, it all comes back to Durandal.
Image … Looks like you remembered how to use those gloves after all.

Image Yeah. Thanks for everything.

Image And…

Image Huuf… Pah…

Olivier's reception is ultimately a tutorial for the Black Silence keypage. It's a much more difficult fight than other tutorials in the game due to where it's located, but we have a lot of wiggle room to defeat Olivier—we even got Staggered and still pulled out a handy win.

Music: Result

Image You seem… really intense, sir.

Image You alright..?

Image Roland.

Image …Yeah.

VIDEO

Image That’s well… Umm… A case of… missing the right moment to confess it. I guess?

Image Though I do wonder, how were the Fixers we’ve seen unable to recognize you?

Image I completely concealed my identity behind this mask back when I worked as a Fixer.

Image …A tiny bit of personal info being leaked can come back to bite you in the ankle. It’s a lesson my gran taught me.
Image If you have any more secrets you’re keeping from me, you’d best find them well-hidden.

Image Although… You saved me this time, so I’ll forgive it. I might have suffered serious damage if I was forced to endure a thousand years in my current state.

Image Just doing my job, ma’am.

Image …And you just lost your friend, are you feeling okay?

Image …That’s that, and this is this.

With Olivier beaten, Roland permanently gains the Black Silence keypage for the rest of the game. Like with Binah, we can't alter it in any way—but we can add on passives if we want.

With the Hana Association finally dealt with, we can finally pick from our two Realizations that we have left over. However, there is also another option available:

We can also just continue the plot at any time, and the game is done with any sense of subtlety. There is no question mark anymore—we're dealing with Argalia's crew, and there's no point in hiding it.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Image Apocalypse Mizu

Image I've been here with you all from the start of this story until now.

Image I already know there's no combination of words that could beat those two.

Videos

Hana Association 4

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Last edited by TeeQueue on Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh man... Apocalypse Mizu is tempting, but I'm incredibly excited and intrigued to see what the murderhobos have in store... plus, Hokma's realization would give us more juicy Talow lore...
Yeah screw it, I'm voting for Mizu >:P

In other news, I think this would also be a good time to mention that Roland shares his name with a legendary knight, also known as Orlando, and who wields a sword called Durandal, and who has a friend named Olivier, and who's featured in the poem Orlando Furioso... yeah, this isn't a coincidence.
"Orlando Furioso" roughly translates to something along the lines of "Enraged Orlando," or perhaps, "Angry Roland."
Yeah... doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

The thread has spoken, and not one soul was surprised. We're doing Binah Realization next.

quantumpapaya wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 pm
Oh man... Apocalypse Mizu is tempting, but I'm incredibly excited and intrigued to see what the murderhobos have in store... plus, Hokma's realization would give us more juicy Talow lore...
Yeah screw it, I'm voting for Mizu >:P

In other news, I think this would also be a good time to mention that Roland shares his name with a legendary knight, also known as Orlando, and who wields a sword called Durandal, and who has a friend named Olivier, and who's featured in the poem Orlando Furioso... yeah, this isn't a coincidence.
"Orlando Furioso" roughly translates to something along the lines of "Enraged Orlando," or perhaps, "Angry Roland."
Yeah... doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
quantumpapaya wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:22 am
Last week I realized that this LP wasn’t finished (I was about halfway through at the time) and I promptly doubled down on my reading in order to catch up before it was finished… it still doesn’t quite feel real yet now that I actually made it.

TeeQueue, I want to thank you so much for making these LPs. I love the agents, the dynamics, the little dialogues you write, the setup– while reading it is certainly a lot of time investment, no other playthrough could make me smile this much. I know you put a lot of time and effort into making this into what it is, and you really are going the extra mile for us-- and I’m very grateful for that : )

I initially started reading your Lobcorp LP because I didn’t think I wanted to get the game but I wanted to know the story anyway, but funnily enough, reading your LP changed my mind about that– soon as I get a computer that won’t fry immediately, I’m buying LC and LoR for sure. I’ve also been inspired by all your agent shenanigans to create some agents of my own; I now have several dozen new OCs and a 30,000-word lore doc, so… suffice to say, your LPs have had a huge impact on me and I’m so glad I found them.

Anyway, I’m stoked to be here to see the last chapter unfold in real time. I can’t wait to see the endgame-– great job so far, good luck moving forward, and again, thank you so much for doing this!

While I’m here, please accept my (very belated) offering of a Very Accurate Depiction of Argalia recruiting Philip into the ensemble:

Sorry for rambling, I just have Feelings about this : P have a great day!
Never apologize for having Feelings. I'm glad to know that my work has an effect on people, tbh—the best part about writing is trying to make your audience feel things about the stuff you're writing and the characters you're weaving stories for. Feelings are the second best thing ever, behind the ability to trigger your own theme song at will with the push of a button.

All that's left is the home stretch now, more or less... here's hoping I don't wind up in the nostalgia hellpit again before it's over.

Agreed on the writing part, and I can say the thread as a whole is a great read! Both LobCorp and this have been a treat to read through!

I wish you the best of luck with the upcoming trials, though. I ended up not finishing the game around this part, so I'm looking forward to what lies beyond, and of course the ordeals of the nuggets.

Appendix 39: Hana Association
A Hana Fixer’s Page wrote: Each Association has a creed or maxim that reflects its atmosphere. Some emphasize gallant passion, while others aspire to a quiet and cold attitude. The Hana Association is no exception in that it has a number of outwardly seen principles. Coincidentally, they represent the most basic ideas of the attitude a Fixer must have.

We must exercise concentration and resoluteness in all situations. Be diligent to detect the emergence of a new flow, yet be wary not to be swept by the flow yourself. As our occupation involves placing some on low positions and holding others in high regard, we must secure the values that constitute our frame, while amending outdated parts of our ideologies. Thus, we need to have an open mind that can accept opinions that differ from our own in moderation. Be willing to listen to the criticism of others and acknowledge it, but be cautious not to throw yourself into confusion by accepting any and all opinions, changing yourself without due consideration. Change what needs to be changed, but be stubborn about the rules we’ve maintained. In conclusion, we mustn’t fall for temptation or deception.

Much like how a foundation influences the structures that stand on it, these principles serve as a basis for all Associations to uphold. Being the Association that supervises the system of Fixers in general, the principles of the Hana are also applicable to the mindset any Fixer should have.
Mirinae’s Page wrote: There are twelve Fixer Associations across the City, and the Hana Association is the one in charge of general management of the rest. We’re renowned for rating the threat level of hazards that occur in the City, and grading Fixers and Offices. On top of that, we give out Fixer licenses, issue official documents about certain requests, and assign Colors to Fixers who prove themselves to be beyond the grading system. Our Association calls the shots on pretty much everything regarding Fixer activity. Although, there is one thing the Hana Association can’t touch on.

The ratings of hazards in the City are as follows: Urban Myth, Urban Legend, Urban Plague, Urban Nightmare, Star of the City… and Impurity. Most other Associations only deal with Stars of the City or lower. Even though Hana Association has control over grading the hazards… There’s one grade our Association can’t assign: The Impurity. Only the Head has the authority to decide that. I don’t know the exact rationale behind designating Impurities… From what I can see, they seem to declare beings that defile the City as Impurities and banish them to the Outskirts. I suppose the Head manages that part since things like the ethics of the City aren’t subjects we are qualified to discern.
Harold’s Page wrote: Some people ask how Stars of the City, the highest level of urban hazards, are any different from Impurities. They wonder… “Aren’t they disrupting the City’s order?”
If you ask me, this City as it exists with the Stars… might be what the Head thinks as the ideal image of the City.

In the universe that is the City, a center of mass forms for each person who bears a wish for something, and clusters of dreams comparable to interstellar matter gravitate toward those centers. Driven by the force people exert in their efforts to reach those goals, such nebulae repeatedly expand and contract, until they finally fulfill their wishes—creating a Star whose glow we can observe. The people who witness the sparkle of that Star admire how brilliantly it shines in the dark, and entertain the hope that they will shine as brightly one day, making yet more centers in the universe…

Of course, some people will have their eyes fixed to the ground—too busy to gaze at anything other than their path ahead; however, once a person sets their eyes on a Star, they begin to head towards it, using its guidance like a compass. Although they probably aren’t trying to become a Star themselves. They merely want to shine with their dreams for once, not to indulge in the sense of superiority that comes from being high up in the City’s sky.
Olivier’s Page wrote: Roland and I were long-time partners in Charles’ Office since the year dot. There were twelve members in total—excluding Angelica who joined the Office later on to resolve the case of the Blood-red Night. Consisting of rather few Fixers for a Grade 1 Office, it took on various requests, playing to the strengths of the twelve members who had different quirks and characteristics each. Roland and I got along well together, so I often worked with him. Well, not exactly for that reason. To be precise, someone had to keep his impulse to jump into action before thinking on a dog’s leash.

“Valor without forethought is little more than a bluff, and there is more strength in discretion than recklessness.” I wonder if you remember this piece of advice I gave when you were still prone to take action without thinking. I remember you conceding it and taking a step back. Although I gave you that advice, now I understand that it’s not without fault. Thinking alone doesn’t make progress, and too much caution can be a harm to oneself. I had the prudence, and you had the unhesitating action. We helped each other with our strengths, and we could just live on by dealing with matters at hand back in the day. Maybe those were the days when we could laugh and lament the most, and carry out our lives just like that. But now we’ve come too far to go back—so did you, and so did Charles’ Office.