Post-Apoc is Bright and Cheery! Let's Play Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion!

Put your Let's Plays in here.

What game is this?
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion is a dark and gritty game set in a post-apocalyptic future, filled with government corruption, a criminal underworld, mafia, grave robbers, orphans, kidnappers, oppressive taxes, cold-blooded murder, rebellious graffiti artists, and everything you would expect from a cyberpunk future. That's actually a lie. The game is bright, cheery, and very colorful. Aside from that, everything else in the first sentence is true.

This is an indie game released in 2021. It had mixed reviews, but I loved playing it. The controls are a little bit annoying, not taking advantage of enough buttons. The story is supremely silly and absurd and an absolute joy. It plays like an old fashioned top-down Zelda game.

LP Details
As is normal for my non-scary, non-SRW LPs. It's a video LP where I do silly voices for the entire cast. I'll be releasing episodes Wednesdays and Fridays.

Spoiler Policy
I already spoiled the "twist" in the description of this game. Go wild with spoilers. Don't spoil the sequel though. I haven't played that one yet, and I'm interested in doing so.

Episode List
Last edited by Bring Stabity on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Episode 1

Preferred Hosts: Rumble, Odysee
Regular Host: Youtube

Our protagonist, Turnip Boy, has been very naughty, and hasn't paid the property tax on his greenhouse to Mayor Onion. To pay it off, he's been recruited by Mayor Onion to be his assistant. The first mission is to murder the swine.

Episode 2

Our second mission is to restart the generator in the farmhouse. We start to learn the dark backstory of this game.

Episode 3

Our third mission is to grab some green goop from the forest where we learn more about the origin of the sentient vegetables.

Episode 4

Our fourth mission is interrupted by an inability to open a trap door. So, our fourth mission instead become to get a shovel from a graverobber.

Episode 5

We gather the fourth an final item that Mayor Onion wanted, only to be betrayed! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal Mayor Onion!

Episode 6

Time to fight the boss. However, since we didn't destroy all traces of Mayor Onion's government, we got the bad ending. We'll have to try again.

Episode 7 and 8

With the help of the newly unlocked hint-giving cat, we're now able to grab everything that we missed. Every scrap of Mayor Onion's government and every piece of heart. Fully powered up, we fight Mayor Onion again, and this time we move on to his second form, and fight the true final battle, giving us the true ending.

With the good ending achieved, it's time to play the post game. I'll be blunt. It sucks. I hate it so much. It's just an endless train of fighting. The combat in this game is passable. It's not good. So an entire section devoted to fighting, as opposed to the quirky and fun story, is really a huge downer.

I still have one more bonus video to make because I realized I forgot to do something in the bunker. I don't intend to grab all the hats from the hat merchant, just because I hate this gauntlet so much.

Episode 9 (Final)

I forgot to show the pizza slice, and I didn't explain how we actually killed a human in a previous episode. So I showed that off this time, and it's quite sad. I did one more run on the infinite train, hated it as always, and that wraps up the game. Like I said previously, I won't be grinding out tickets to get everything in the shop, since that's just a waste of time. I have a one-shot LP of Maptroid that I'll just be posting on my channels this Friday. I plan to replace this release slot with Rebel Galaxy starting in the new year.