Let's Flip Paper Rectangles On A Table: Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2006

Put your Let's Plays in here.

MUSIC: Main Menu

Why not the 2008 DS game?
Believe me, I thought about it. But here's two words: Reaper Format.

This is before Dark Armed Dragon was released and both Chaos Emperor Dragon and Black Luster Soldier- Envoy of the Beginning are banned. Thousand-Eyes Restrict and Metamorphosis are limited. Chaos Sorceror stands alone. In other words, Chaos dominance is now very questionable, the goats are few, and the September/October 2005 banlist is live.
No Yata-garasu, Confiscation, Forceful Sentry, Ring of Destruction, Imperial Order... and even a lot of power cards like Injection Fairy Lily, Jinzo, Scapegoat, Snatch Steal, Heavy Storm, etc. are heavily limited.

Although for some reason, Last Turn is at 2 and Sixth Sense (if already banned) is in this game because it introduces OCG cards early :shepface:
(also pre-errata Exchange of the Spirit OTK is possible :getin:)

The heavy banning of the before-its-time Black Luster Envoy card alongside a heavy limit on game changing staples creates a more open fight. You can create kind of bad decks and still do sort of okay if you play them well, though early Banishment, Monarchs, and now weakened Chaos and Cyber-Stein are considered to be the meta. And sure, Spirit Reaper is all over the place, but he's not that bad.

...And I also just grew up with this game alongside the Power of Chaos games, (which despite the name don't really do Chaos decks), so I have a big nostalgic soft spot for it.

Oh, and this is actual Yu-Gi-Oh card game rules instead of starsigns, obscure fusions, or moving around a field. And there's nothing scarier than Card Ruling Hell for the Halloween season. :spooky:

I didn't understand any of that!

Don't worry, because it doesn't really matter. I'm just here to play some cards, and you should hopefully pick up on it along the way. I wrote up this terrible mix of a guide and tutorial thing in the following post if you want to try to understand what's going on. And if the guide doesn't help, just ask in the thread if you're confused. Also any competitive jargon isn't really relevant to understand, but you can ask that too, I'm sure someone will fill you in.

And if you still don't understand the game, don't sweat it. It's a mess and even I don't know all the rules. Feel free to hang around and vote for me to use monsters that sound funny or look cool if you just want to.

Voting?

Quite a lot! In addition to creating our duelist, we have to pick a starter deck.

On top of that you will choose what packs I buy, and even force me to use a card of your choosing in the deck. Whatever deck I end up playing will be in part made by you, and we'll hold this vote for each new challenger.
(Later on, we might eventually just progress to playing whole submitted decks too, it depends.)

I've gotta keep it interesting, this game is a duel simulator with zero story. That said, don't spoil who the duelists are at least. That's like the only thing to spoil.

The big first set of votes is in the first update. Get to it!

-U P D A T E S-

- > CURRENT CARDS & DECKS <-

Update 01: A New Duelist
Update 02: Here's Your Tournament Packs
Update 03: Sacrificial Lamb

-R E F E R E N C E-

1. A Rough, Probably Still Incomprehensible Guide on How to Send Someone to the Shadow Realm

+STRUCTURE DECKS+
-BOOSTER PACK LISTINGS-
Last edited by Odd Wilson on Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

REFERENCE 1: A Rough, Probably Still Incomprehensible Guide on How to Send Someone to the Shadow Realm

Welcome to Yu-Gi-Oh in 2006!

This will be a primer on all the terms and basic mechanics of the card game, but more detailed aspects will be left to the videos. Like a lot of things, it's better learned through experience.

Read on to learn how you too can be allowed to draw 2 cards from your deck and maybe even send your opponent to the Shadow Realm!

Also do note that while a lot of this carries up to modern rulings, not all of it does.

Also some amount of relevant tutorializing can be found on Wikipedia.

- BASE MECHANICS -

Decks are from 40-60 in size.
(It used to be an unlimited maximum before, but some blokes started to bring a stack of hundreds of cards to get this rule changed.)

Each player has 8000 life points because inflated numbers are cool.

There is no Mana/Energy system in the game, so gameplay is frequently more aggressive and "explosive".

You can have only 3 copies of the exact same card in a deck, further limited by the current banlist.
Forbidden = can't play it
Limited = you only get 1
Semi-Limited = you only get 2

The game is broken up into 6 phases and taken in turns:

-Draw Phase-
* The turn player draws 1 card from the top of their deck, then the phase ends.

-Standby Phase-
* This phase only exists to resolve certain card effects. You do so, then this phase ends.

-Main Phase 1-
* The majority of the game happens here. You can normal summon 1 Monster, set or play Spells, and set or activate Traps.

-Battle Phase-
* The other most important phase, you can declare attacks with your Monsters only during this phase. You cannot Normal Summon, but your quick-play spell and trap play is unrestricted. You CANNOT enter this phase on the first turn of the game.

-Main Phase 2-
* This is just like Main Phase 2, but later. This is used to make plays after doing battle. You skip this step if you do not enter the Battle Phase.

-End Phase-
* You pass turn control to your opponent and they start from the top.
* If you have more than 6 cards in your hand, you must discard cards until it equals 6.

DEFAULT WIN CONDITIONS:
* Immediately, when your opponent's life points are less than or equal to 0.
* If your opponent enters the Draw Phase but has no cards left in deck to draw. This is frequently referred to as "deck out".

THE FIELD:

A player's side of the field is broken up into a few zones:
MONSTER CARD ZONE - You get 5 of these in a row across the center of the playing field. Monsters are played here.
SPELL & TRAP CARD ZONE - You get 5 of these, situated just beneath your Monster Card Zone. Spells & Traps are played here.
THE DECK - yep
THE GRAVEYARD - This is where spent cards go most of the time. You can look through either player's at any time. Abbreviated as GY in the modern setting. This is located just above the Deck.
THE BANISHED ZONE- Cards rarely go here because of effects. It's generally harder to do stuff with this, which is why it was called Removed From Play before they made less difficult to mess with. This is hanging off the board to the right of the GY.

EXTRA DECK - the bane of modern yugioh a spot for monsters that specifically don't go in the main deck. It's on the opposite side of the field from the Deck, in line with the S&T zones.

FIELD SPELL CARD ZONE - Where a specific kind of Spell Card sits and watches the duel happen, either in superiority or social anxiety. This is located just above the Extra Deck.

CARD STATES:

There's only 2! Pokemon TCG this isn't.

Face-up: The card is face-up.
Face-down/Set: The card is face-down and your opponent does not know what it is. Playing a card face-down is referred to as "Setting it", and "Set" is frequently used to refer to face-down Spells and Traps. Most importantly, a face-down card has NO EFFECTS and no defining features aside from what zone it's placed in.

Monster? Spells and Traps? Summons?! I'll explain those now, I couldn't really talk about the turn order without doing so.

- THE THREE MAIN CARD TYPES -

SPELLS:
Originally known as Magic Cards in early releases of the game (quickly resolved by... "attention" from Magic the Gathering), Spell Cards are green. Provided you meet the activation requirements, there's no limit on activation during your Main Phases or Battle Phase.

Spell Cards have types that modify their behaviour.

*Normal: Any Spell without a type. They are sent to the GY after their effects resolve.

*Continuous: The card remains on the field once played, only going to the GY by a card effect. Designated by an infinity symbol in the upper right.

*Field Spell: Continuous's weird cousin, these sit in their own zone, usually providing passive effects. Only one can exist on the entire field at the time, playing a new one simply sends the other to the GY. This is the only time this unspoken "overwrite" mechanic happens. Designated by a 4 pointed star in the upper right.

*Equip Spells: Also like Continuous, these stay on the field, but are attached to face-up monsters. They are destroyed when the equipped is removed from the field in any way. Designated by a cross/plus in the upper right.

*Ritual Spells: Used only for a certain weird monster card type. We'll talk about it then. Designated by a flame in the upper right.

*Quick-Play Spells: Can be activated in reaction to other effects or mechanics from your hand on your turn, or set and played like Trap Cards. Designated by a lightning-bolt in the upper right. The only spells usable during the Battle Phase.

Speaking of traps....

TRAPS:
Purplish-red cards that are cards with powerful reactive effects, but different from Spells in one particular way:

Traps must first be "Set" in a Spell & Trap Card Zone and an End Phase must pass before it can be activated. This makes them more vulnerable to being destroyed and countered than say, an MtG Instant. (a number of modern traps can be played from the hand so who are we really kidding at this point)

Trap cards also have types.

*Normal: Any Trap without a type. They are sent to the GY after their effects resolve.

*Continuous Trap: Acts the same as Continuous Spells, but even more redundant because sometimes their effects act like Equip Spells. They even have the same infinity symbol.

*Counter Trap: Luckily, I can explain this without getting into the tangent that is Spell Speed. Notably, Counter Traps can only be reacted to by other Counter Traps. Designated by U-turning arrow in the upper left.

Both Spells and Traps have an Effect, the details of those is where Yu-Gi-Oh gets really complicated, so we'll save that for later.

MONSTERS:
The bread and butter of the game, these are your weird/cool creatures. In the modern game, these are probably anime waifus. I chose to talk about these last as they have the most on them.

These cards have:
A Level, (indicated by the number of stars at the top.)
An Attribute (EARTH, WIND, FIRE, WATER, LIGHT, DARK- the little colored icon in the upper right)
A Type (Beast, Spellcaster, Machine, Dragon, etc...)
An ATK and DEF value (listed in the lower right)
And maybe an Effect, and if not, flavor text (listed in the center bottom block.) Without an effect, monsters are referred to as Normal Monsters.

(The least important aspect to note here is Attribute and Type. These are just categories that may be used as per a card effect ("Equip to a Warrior type monster", "Banish 1 DARK monster", etc.).)

-How To Play Them-
Monsters have to be Summoned. There are two types of summons, Normal Summons and Special Summons.
You can Normal Summon once per turn from your hand during either Main Phase on your turn, but only once. They are either summoned in face-up Attack Position, or set in face-down Defense position- we'll talk about those positions in a minute.

A monster whose Level is higher than 4 must be Tribute Summoned. These are referred to as Tribute Monsters. A Tribute Summon is a Normal Summon for all intents and purposes, and counts for your one per turn. (face-up Attack and face-down Defense as well.)

Tributing is done by sending a number of your monsters on the field to the GY equal to the number of tributes required. 5 and 6 stars require one tribute, 7 and higher requires two tributes. Yes, it really is that uneven.

A Special Summon is any summon done as part of a card's effect, and there isn't an explicit limit on how many you can do. As these do not consume your once per turn Normal Summon and there is no restriction on how many can be done, they can result in big swings in regards of who's winning. And if you're in modern Yu-Gi-Oh, this all you do like 5 times a turn on both turns.
Special Summoned monsters are summoned in face-up Attack Position, or face-up Defense Position.

On top of all this, there are 4 card types of monster:
Normal (pale yellow, no effect), (Gemini Elf above)
Effect (dark orange, has effect),
Fusion (purple, sits in the Extra Deck only to be summoned from there by specific cards)
Ritual (blue, can only be summoned by the effect of Ritual Spell cards.)

The summons of Fusion and Ritual monsters are Ritual Summons and Fusion Summons specifically, but are also Special Summons for all intents and purposes. They won't be too relevant for most of the playthrough as most of them are hot garbage they don't show up too much, but here you are anyways. There are opportunities to use them though.

Ritual and Fusion monsters without effects are not treated as Normal, they are counted as Non-Effect Monsters, but this also isn't relevant to any serious play in this time period.

Now with all that nonsense covered, let's talk the two most important aspects of monsters, ATK and DEF and how that involves combat.

- COMBAT, THE BATTLE PHASE, AND HOW TO SEND YOUR OPPONENT TO THE SHADOW REALM -

First thing of note, there is no summoning sickness. Monsters can attack the turn they're summoned.

Monsters are either in Attack Position (turned upright) or Defense Position (turned to the side).

Monsters can declare one attack per turn and can only do so in attack position. If your opponent controls no monsters, you can declare a Direct Attack which damages your opponent equal to the monster's ATK.

If your opponent does control a monster, you have to attack one of those instead if you choose to attack.

Attacking another attack position monster is ATK vs. ATK. The one with the highest wins, destroying the loser and sending it to the GY. The difference in ATK is dealt as damage to the player who controlled the losing monster. Equal ATK values tie and destroy both monsters, no damage being taken on either side.

Attacking a defense position monster is ATK vs. DEF, highest wins. The controller of the defending monster takes no damage from the battle if their monster loses and it is destroyed sent to the GY as normal if so. If the attacker loses, the attacker's controller takes damage equal to the difference, but their monster is not destroyed.

So:
ATK > ATK- Loser takes damage, card is destroyed
ATK > DEF- Loser takes no damage, card is destroyed
ATK < DEF- Loser takes damage, card is not destroyed

Hopefully that shortens it up.

So with that complex mess of phases, card types, and rulings, you now know how to properly beat your opponent to death taking a vacation to the Shadow Realm with imaginary creatures.

You might be somewhat overwhelmed, and if you are, I'm so sorry for what's coming next:

- THE UNHOLY, LITIGIOUS MESS THAT ARE YU-GI-OH EFFECTS -

(Note: This card with text made for ants will not be appearing in this game.)

Let's address the Flying Elephant in the room. A lot of the cards in this game are their own minature rulebooks. It's like you're playing UNO but there's 3000 different reversal cards. Except before 2011, the meanings are vague as hell.

A lot of them you just learn by doing, so I can't really teach that. A lot of the effect mechanics are highly specific (one may say "target 1 monster and destroy it" while another says "destroy 1 monster") and this is important for the reactionary effects of the game.

Explaining the keywords would probably make you suffer a tragic death by overinformation, so it's better if I just explain how effects work in the most general sense. If someone wants to go hard on explaining it all, go ahead, but I won't be doing it.

Effects may have any of the following: Cost, Activation Requirement, the effect itself, and a Limit.

We'll do this by looking at Abyss Soldier.

"Once per turn: You can discard 1 WATER monster to the Graveyard to target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand."

A Cost must be paid before the card is even considered activated. A cost can be a lot of things like discarding cards, tributing monsters, paying life points (which is different from taking damage). Powerful cards often have heavy costs as if your opponent counters the effect, you paid cost and got nothing for t.

In this case, the cost of Abyss Soldier's activated effect is to discard 1 WATER monster card to the Graveyard.

Next is Activation Requirement. A card may specify a requirement to it's activation. This can be pretty much be any mechanic, from attack declaration, drawing cards, having a specific card on field, life points, even the activation of other effects.

This raises the topic of Missed Timing. Effect that say "when" something happens, have to be activated immediately after or it no longer counts, such as if another card's effect activate first. This doesn't apply if the card says "if" something happens- welcome to Yu-Gi-Oh, folks. (At least, that's the short version of it.)

Regardless... Abyss Soldier doesn't really have a requirement, but one can interpret the act of targeting 1 card to be one. Although it itself will always be a valid target, (unless it's been given targeting protection, a situation at which I don't honestly know what happens. I think this isn't technically a real Activation Requirement, so it just blanks.)

The Effect is what happens when the card is activated (as it is now considered to be). This can be pretty much anything.

So, you know all those strongly worded rules I've given you thus far? Just know that they can be defied at any time thanks to card effects. Skipping phases, removing monster effects, Normal Summoning twice or more per turn, removing your ability to play cards, even monsters that act like spells or traps that act like monsters.

There is no base mechanic that cannot be overwritten, no rule that is permanently unchanged- these monsters go back into the deck instead of the GY, these let you Tribute your opponent's monsters... Really, all it takes is for Konami to have too wild a night with their rumored yakuza investors to print a card that says you can physically eat your cards to gain life points.

...That card doesn't exist yet, and Yu-Gi-Oh's rule defiance is historically far more tame than Magic's stuff like inception duels and Iron Star, but just know that lots of effects in the game deny can defy the mechanics and rules I discussed in earlier in this guidetorial glossary. You can append "unless an effect says otherwise" to nearly every sentence.

If the effect is not negated or invalidated by another card's effect, it goes through. In the case of ol' Abyss Soldier, it's returning the targeted card to the owner's hand.

Lastly, the Limit. Some cards can only activate a limited number of times per turn. This isn't very common in this era of Yu-Gi-Oh, which is why a lot of cards can create godawful loops or combos that get them put on a banlist.

Abyss Soldier's effect specifies once per turn, so that's it.

(Although in this case, it's once per turn per instance of this card. A second Abyss Soldier can still use its effect, or if the same Abyss Soldier is removed from the field or flipped face down then up in the same turn, it can use it again. This is why I said don't worry yourself with the details.)

SPELL SPEED AND CHAINS

Effects activated in response to one another form a Chain. The first card is always Chain Link 1, the next Chain Link 2, etc... When cards are finished being chained, the effects are resolved top down.

Effects can only chain to other effects with an equal or lower spell speed. (Yes, "Spell" Speed, even if they're traps or monsters.)

Spell Speed 3 is exclusively Counter Traps, such as Solemn Judgement here.
Spell Speed 2 is Traps, Quick-Play Spells, and a rare few Continuous traps and monsters.
Spell Speed 1 is literally everything else.

The weird last thing to note about all this are Ignition Effects. These are specifically monster effects you manually have to activate during your main phase. Due to a quirk of old ruling, you can immediately activate their effect as Chain Link 1 before your opponent gets to react to the monster's summon.

This mostly just lets you get off annoying effects even if your opponent's trap destroys the monster anyways.

So, have you absorbed all that? If not, well, I don't blame you. Yu-Gi-Oh is hard to explain and I can't say this was the best explanation possible.

Just ask in the thread if there's something you want to know but otherwise not explained in the guide.

Or just pretend like you know what's happening, I won't judge.

Also, this duel I showed some screenshots of took 23 turns. Now that's a prolonged duel.

Update 01: A New Duelist

MUSIC: Enter Your Name

First up, we'll need to make our duelist.

We have room for a name 14 letters long, accents allowed.

There are also 10 portraits available.

You can also opt to give me a personality for how they'll react in added dialogue. Snarky, airheaded, aggressive, chill... you name it. There won't be a particularly deep narrative being added, (this game has zero story- it's purely a dueling simulator,) but I'll be able to keep things livened up more than "We play MST. We hit Trap Hole. We attack in again."

The next thing to do is that our duelist will need a Structure Deck. Vote for which one you want to see me playing for a while, because it'll be quite a few duels before I'm able to scrape together an entirely different deck.

If you want to try and make a more informed decision, look here for a detailed listing.

1. Dragon's Roar:
A big package of Dragons mostly notable for Stamping Destruction and Armed Dragon. Good package to build other dragon decks off of (Blue Eyes or extending into Red Eyes) and generally versatile overall. It focuses on taking control of the field- Stamping Destruction is a serviceable Spell & Trap remover in large quantity, and Armed Dragon is a reliably tough monster that is easy to get out.
Notable cards: Armed Dragon LV 5, Stamping Destruction, Swords of Revealing Light, Twin-Headed Behemoth

2. Zombie Madness:
Two words- constant aggression. Zombies are focused on revival strats, and although this is before Zombie Master was a card in TCG, they're still really good at what they do. It's also a nice Dark attribute package for later expansion and the currently small Vampire archetype is good at stealing an opponent's monsters to use against them.
Notable Cards: Pyramid Turtle, Ryu Kokki, Vampire Lord, Card of Safe Return, Spirit Reaper

3. Blazing Destruction:
Focused on burn and level lockdown strategies, but features some high aggression gameplay. Forget Infernal Flame Emperor, the shining stars of this deck are Ultimate Baseball Kid, Raging Flame Sprite, and Solar Flare Dragon. Doesn't expand that well, but is a decent start for a stall deck package.
Other Notable Cards: Level Limit Area B, Thestalos the Flame Monarch, Dust Tornado

4. Fury of the Deep:
Most of the good Water cards you could want, and fully loaded with Legendary Ocean. It's a somewhat tanky deck that survives on beefy monsters and maybe looks to sweep with Daedalus later. Kind of just a decent engine with nothing it specifically branches into later, but holds a number of rare cards.
Notable Cards: Levia-Dragon Daedalus, Mobius the Frost Monarch, Tribe Infecting Virus, Torrential Tribute, Salvage

5. Warrior's Triumph:
Warriors and Equip spells to make them stronger. It's a good offense package that has useful cards for other strategies and works well on it's own. Notably has a copy of Armed Samurai - Ben Kei, so Ben Kei OTK is definitely possible here. Has the smallest Trap selection in return for a wealth of spell cards and Royal Decree to shut down trap gameplay.
Notable Cards: Ben Kei, Royal Decree, Giant Trunade, D.D. Warrior Lady, Exiled Force

6 .Spellcaster's Judgment:
Focused somewhat on the Spell Counter gimmick, and already has most of the cards for it. A good basis for Spellcaster focused decks and carries a lot of the big name ones, but consequently doesn't expand far. Can go into Dark Magician stuff if you want, although that's not such a huge archetype right now. Having an RML this early means you could build to Library FTK strats. It also has Magicians Pikeru and Curran if you really want to do Trial of the Princesses.
Notable cards: Breaker the Magical Warrior, Tsukuyomi, Chaos Sorceror, Mage Power, Magician of Faith, Magic Cylinder

Two of these are longtime favorites, but I won't tell you which just yet. I don't want to skew the votes at all. I'm more than fine playing any of these six. So vote however you want: longterm meta, or just because it has cool box art.

And finally, some card packs. We start with 3000 DP, choose how we spend it. Powerful cards are hidden in the earlier packs, but the more expensive packs are more likely to give stuff that is generally playable.

- - CARD PACKS - -

-> Extended Listings <-

V - Short Listings - V

(All are currently 5 cards per pack.)

150 DP each:

LEGEND OF BLUE-EYES WHITE DRAGON

METAL RAIDERS

200 DP each:

PHARAOH'S SERVANT

SPELL RULER

250 DP each:

LABYRINTH OF NIGHTMARE

LEGACY OF DARKNESS

300 DP each:

PHARAONIC GUARDIAN

MAGICIAN'S FORCE

DARK CRISIS

350 DP each:

INVASION OF CHAOS

ANCIENT SANCTUARY

--------------------------

So all in all, what I need is:
- A name.
- A portrait number.
- (Optional: A personality)
- A structure deck choice
- What first booster packs to buy.
(You can pick different packs or go in on multiple. If no amount is given, I'll split it up as evenly as possible.)

You don't have to give all of these, you can just vote on any number of them that you're interested in.

Get to it!

Here's the current results thus far:

Structure Deck Choice:
Zombie Madness x 3
Dragon's Roar x 1
Warrior's Triumph x 1
Fury of the Deep x 1

Pack Shopping List:
1x Labyrinth of Nightmare
1x Invasion of Chaos

Duelists:
Rye Val / Ryuga x1
Icon 4 x3
Snarky, maximum ham

Naomi
Icon 8
Not a fan of Duel Monsters herself, but promised her little brother she would help him win the tournament and she likes to see her brother happy

Marilith x1
Icon 7 or 9
Snarky

------------------------

I'll still leave voting open a day or two more. After that's decided, it'll be our first round of pack draws, telling me the card I have to use, and choosing who we challenge first.

You can vote for a more diverse list of packs to buy, but going all in on one isn't a bad strategy either. If no changes happen in the current votes, I'll probably opt to split it half and half between LoN and IoC.

CURRENT VOTES

Structure Deck Choice:
Zombie Madness x 6
Dragon's Roar x 4
Warrior's Triumph x 1
Fury of the Deep x 1

Pack Shopping List Total Votes:
1x Labyrinth of Nightmare, All in
1x Invasion of Chaos, All in
2x Invasion of Chaos, 5x
2x Pharaonic Guardian, All in

3x Pharaoh's Servant x 10
3x Spell Ruler x 5

Duelists:
Personality- Snarky at an overwhelming lead
Icon 4 x6
Icon 8 x1
Icon 7 x1
Icon 9 x3

-
Rye Val / Ryuga x1
Icon 4
Snarky, maximum ham

-
Naomi
Icon 8
Not a fan of Duel Monsters herself, but promised her little brother she would help him win the tournament and she likes to see her brother happy

--
Marilith x4
Icon 7 or 9 (9 in majority)
Snarky

Majority deck vote towards- Zombie World
Related pack votes spread between 5 packs of Invasion of Chaos and all in on Pharaonic Guardian

--
Chazz x3
Icon 4
Chazz it up (Snarky)

Majority deck vote towards- Dragon Ruler
Majority pack vote towards- Pharaoh's Servant x10 + Spell Ruler x 5

--------

Well, that puts us at a direct tie between Marilith and Chazz (if we count Ryuga as a Chazz vote, otherwise Mari leads), though I suppose there's been a majority for votes for portrait 4 + snarky itself, with Zombie World leading the deck votes. I'll have to think about how to weigh that in fairly.

I'll keep the vote open until sometime tomorrow, regardless! Any more specific votes between Marilith or Chazz will more solidly define our winner here, (and make it easy on me.)

Alright, I'll call the vote here. I'll get the packs drawn and we'll start on our first round of telling me what to use and who we duel soon enough.

Update 02: Here's Your Tournament Packs

MUSIC: Game Menu

Growing up, I restarted this game a lot, mostly because the progression factor is the most fun part. So I'm familiar with this screen.

STRANGE MAN: Are you sure about this one?

STRANGE MAN: ...Right, right. I'm not arguing, just making sure.

STRANGE MAN: (...Maybe I'll get to go home after this one...)

???: Eh? It's a ghost town in here.

???: Hmph, they must have all fled realizing their impending defeat.

COPYCAT: Why, hello there! Welcome, welcome! May I have your name?

???: I didn't realize this was a clown convention. I would've worn something more festive.

As you aren't currently cowering in your little pointed shoes, and since you asked so nicely...

MARILITH: The name my challengers recall in nightmares of mortifying defeat is... Marilith.

MARILITH: But go ahead and write it down as Champion Marilith to save yourself the time.

COPYCAT: Oohoohoo! A confident one! Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

COPYCAT: Then you're here for the tournament?

MARILITH: No, I'm here to play solitaire.

COPYCAT: That's the same thing depending on who you ask! Hohoho!

COPYCAT: You should go visit our supplier before you head in to duel. Good luck!

MARILITH: What do you-

MARILITH: ...Where's my deck?! I didn't walk in here with a child's starter deck!

The game does start us with a GX starter deck, though it never actually says as much. It's an extremely basic package of normal warriors monsters featuring the Elemental HEROs but none of the support that makes them remotely playable. This thing is more useful for the staple cards stuffed in it, but we'll go over that later.

MARILITH: So what you're telling me is that you're holding my deck hostage... until I win?

MARILITH: You should be be glad I enjoy a challenge or you'd seriously regret doing this.

STRANGE MAN: Whoa, I didn't take your deck. I'm just an employee...

STRANGE MAN: Here's your zombies. And your assorted packs of... Invasion of Chaos and Pharaonic Guardian.

MARILITH: Oh, thank you. I didn't ask for those. What is this, 2004?

STRANGE MAN: I don't make the rules. You play what you get, lady...

MARILITH: Hmph, if you think this is a handicap in the slightest, you'll be sorely mistaken. My skills are sharper than a viper's fang.

STRANGE MAN: Yeah, yeah, move along, -Serpentine Princess-. They're about to ask the next trivia question...

A nice feature is that you can mark some packs and back out to select some others and just buy them all at the same time instead of buying only one kind of pack at a time.

I only mention this because I didn't find this out until starting this LP.

Here's the entirety of Zombie Madness. I reason we should talk about its strategy detail since it'll serve as our core deck for at least a little while.

Zombie Madness is a structure deck defined by the strong support zombies recieve through 3 specific cards: -Pyramid Turtle-, -Book of Life-, and -Call of the Mummy-.

Pyramid Turtle is a "recruiter" or a card that gets another card from deck when it dies. Turtle has the obscenely lenient requirement of a 2000 or less defense zombie, a threshold that every single 4* monster or lower falls under, and a number of our powerful tribute monsters qualify under as well.

Book of Life lets us pull a zombie back from grave and eradicate a monster from our opponents graveyard. Most revival cards are heavily limited or banned, but this one is unrestricted and makes for easy swings in board advantage. The only caveat is that we can't use it if our opponent doesn't have any monsters in their grave.

Call of the Mummy is a card that lets us swarm the field from a disadvantaged board state, giving access to a second monster summon. This card is the first of its kind, Fairy types would eventually get their own version, Valhalla, but for now this card is king.

I don't think it's worth playing 3 of though. 2 is enough of this card.

The end result is that all of these cards grant us the means to always have monsters on board, and thus, smoothly find our way into our powerful boss monsters.

-Ryu Kokki- is an enemy from the Konami property Getsu Fūma Den, with its main character also in the game as Getsu Fuhma... the Ryu Kokki is much better though. An exact 2000 DEF makes it a valid target for our turtle, and 2400 ATK puts it on par with -Armed Dragon LV5- from Dragon's roar, but arguably slightly easier to obtain depending on the situation. An effect of wiping out Warriors and Spellcasters on contact is just a bonus.

I always thought he was some big skeleton man reclining back, but he's a 4 legged bone horse thing. I suppose we always have Eldlich for reclining undead guys.

-Dark Dust Spirit- inherently can't be special summoned as a Spirit subtype card and comes back to our hand at the end of the turn. Probably the second best Spirit at the time, DDS blows up every other monster off the board on summon. Call of the Mummy will let us recover from an empty board state the next turn.

In theory, with 4 other zombs in hand and Mummy on board, you can special summon in something as tribute for this, nuke the board, hit for 2200 and repeat for 3 more turns until you win. (Provided your opponent doesn't kill you through their own pokes each turn.)

-Despair from the Dark- is a huge monster that requires 2 tributes, but is a serviceable beatstick that doesn't prove too bad to get out with this deck. Opponents playing effects trying to kill your hand will be met with a nasty surprise, and this guy alone is the biggest target in the deck we can Book of Life if he ends up there.

-Vampire Lord- is a card so terrifying it was once limited. Although this era of vampire cards don't have the monster stealing effects of the modern ones, they feature deck destruction in a time when it wasn't always so advantageous and, in the case of this card, being an immense pain to get rid of. Lord either has to be banished or killed in battle to go away, and is summonable off of Pyramid Turtle.

Though his notable disadvantage is sitting at only 2000 ATK, the baseline that super meta beatstick monsters like -Dark Elf- and -Berserk Gorilla- get without being a tribute.

This brings us to the topic of the decks signature, featured-on-the-box-art boss monster, -Vampire Genesis-. All of these structure decks from this time came with a unique boss monster and the unfortunate reality is that most were far from optimal. Cool, yes, but frequently requiring too much investment to something that dies to -Trap Hole-.

Genny has a huge statline and a quite useful effect, but he requires Vampire Lord exactly to obtain. Not only do we start with a single copy of Lord, he banishes our Lord to summon, meaning he's gone from the current duel pretty much for good.

MARILITH: Hmph... imagine thinking this is a worthwhile play. We'll see about you, I suppose...

Safe to say, he has a somewhat tentative position in the deck currently. With more Lords I wouldn't mind too much playing him, but as-is I'm more likely to swap in an equip spell over him.

-Vampire Lady- isn't a tribute, but she gets a mention as we're talking about the vamps anyways. She inherits the same deck destruction effects as the lord, the best targets for their effects being Spells and Traps, as those are much harder to recover than a monster. Her ATK is pretty meager, but she only has to deal damage. Clear the field for her and let her attack directly, and that's more cards ripped from their deck.

We also have one copy of the namesake of the format, -Spirit Reaper-. He can't be killed in battle and every time he deals damage, you rip a card out of your opponent's hand. His problem is that if he's ever targeted by any effect, he just lies down and shrivels up into a little ball. I guess he hates being in the spotlight.

Other special mentions go to -Card of Safe Return-, a card that lets us draw every time we ressurect a monster from our grave. We don't have access to anything super broken right now, but this lone card is usable in certain abusive FTK and OTK strats. For now, it's just a nice momentum boost if it even works.

(FTK = First turn kill, and OTK = One turn kill, by the way.)

-Creature Swap- is a good card for stealing good tribute fodder from our opponent, Giant Trunade sends all Spells and Traps on the field back to the hand (deceptively useful), and -Heavy Storm- destroys all Spells and Traps on the field. The latter two are basic staples.

Among other good staples, we also have Pot of Greed. This is the point at which I admit I goofed and forgot that this game has a slightly modified banlist based off the OCG's (the Japanese region's) banlist.

All in all, our base lineup is pretty good. This deck comes with 3 -Compulsory Evacuation Device-, a card whose importance is greater in later, Extra Deck focused Yu-gi-oh gameplay and even modern gameplay where everything is all about monsters with walls of destruction protection. All it does is bump a monster back to hand, but that can be a real big setback depending on what you hit with it.

MARILITH: Ah... well at least this one has some strong cards to take out of it.

The GX starter deck we get does have a few good staples in -Premature Burial-, -Fissure-, -Tribute to The Doomed-, and -Sakuretsu Armor-. (Also another Heavy Storm and Compulse if we didn't already have all we could play.)

Premature is a revival card with a cost, but can be flipped back to hand with Giant Trunade, allowing you to use it twice in one turn. Doomed, Fissure, and Sakuretsu are just good monster removal.

The rest of this is a relatively basic beatdown deck with a splash of E-Hero and high ATK basic dragons. -Magician of Faith-, -Mirage Dragon-, -Skelengel-, and a -Kuriboh-, I guess.

MoF is the best card there, allowing a chance to recycle a spent Spell Card.

MARILITH: What I have is... serviceable, but let's see what else we can get.

MARILITH: These are looking quite opportune...

The cards of note here are -Mystical Knight of Jackal-, -Winged Sage Falcos-, -Needle Ceiling-, and -Don Zaloog-. The first two are monsters with effects that return a destroyed monster back to the top of the owner's deck. This plus some hand destruction can be used to create a rather evil game state in which your opponent is left only with a monster in hand that will keep ending back up as their next draw.

Needle Ceiling just destroys all face-up monsters if there's 4 or more on field. A board wipe in a time where it's limited.

Don Zaloog is the leader of the Dark Scorpion cards but isn't counted as one. Despite his low stats, he's well known for being one of the premiere hand destruction guys around.

MARILITH: ...Tch, how insulting.

-Mirage of Nightmare- is a crazy good card... if it wasn't banned. We get this super trippy, sparkly text just for a show card. In the case of banned cards, I'll just remove them from our current listings.

There's also -Moisture Creature-, but we're not desperate for a Spell & Trap board clear with Heavy Storm and Trunade on hand.

MARILITH: -Dimension Fusion- and -Dark Magician of Chaos-? My, my...

Dimension Fusion is the basis of all the "x Return" meta decks of this era, a card that lets banishment focused decks overwhelmingly swarm the field at a certain point in the game. Dark Magician of Chaos, henceforth known as DMoC, is a super strong 2 tribute monster that banishes what it destroys in battle and instantly recovers you a Spell Card from your grave when summoned. They nerfed it later, but this is the stronger one of the past that lets us get the Spell grom grave immediately.

There's also a -Begone, Knave!- here, which is a pretty good stalling card.

The last two cards of immediate note are -Berserk Gorilla- and -Chain Disappearance-. The former is one of the aforementioned 2000 ATK 4* monsters, and we got two of them. A more straightforward beatstick approach is definitely possible with these.

The latter is a trap card that eliminates very weak monsters from an opponent's field. More useful in the modern era where tiny cards frequently start combos, this still has use against a number of decks in this time period.

MARILITH: ...Not the worst. I can make use of some of this.

COPYCAT: That's up to your sponsors! Let's hope they choose well!

MARILITH: Gah! The first clown!

MARILITH: What do you mean, "sponsors" ? I duel only for myself, nobody holds sway over me.

COPYCAT: Just ask your handler! Ta-ta! Come to me when you're ready to duel!

QUIZMAN: Your handler would be me, Quizman. I'll tell you what the voices from the beyond, your sponsors say...

QUIZMAN: Although I have many gameshow results to tune into...

MARILITH: Perhaps you should tune into reality, old man.

MARILITH: (This must be a different tournament entirely... Oh well, I'll crush this one in time to make the World Championship, I'm sure.)

There's other things of note in this pack, such as a small starting dinosaur set, and some goofier monsters like -Granadora-, but we'd be here forever if I was to explain each card in detail. Every card is linked to, but if their use isn't clear or you just want me to tell you instead of Yugipedia, you can ask in the thread.

For now, here's our results:

=======================================
-> FULL CARD TRUNK + DECK HERE <-

PACK RESULTS:

Normal Monsters:
-Neo Bug- x1
-Sea Serpent Warrior of Darkness- x1
-Kabazauls- x1

Effect Tributes:
-Moisture Creature- x1
-Dark Magician of Chaos- x1
-Mystical Knight of Jackal- x2
-Black Tyranno- x2
-Orca Mega-Fortress of Darkness- x1

Effect Monsters:
-Berserk Gorilla- x2
-Granadora- x1
-Winged Sage Falcos- x1
-Lekunga- x1
-Sacred Crane- x1
-Des Kangaroo- x1
-Don Zaloog- x1
-The Thing in the Crater- x1
-Maiden of the Aqua- x1
-Bowganian- x1
-Gravekeeper's Curse- x1
-Servant of Catabolism- x1
-Witch Doctor of Chaos- x1
-Nightmare Horse- x1
-An Owl of Luck- x1

Spells:
-Ultra Evolution Pill- x1
-Multiplication of Ants- x1
-Dimension Fusion- x1
-Gryphon's Feather Duster- x1
-Royal Tribute- x1
-Reload- x1
-Pyramid Energy- x2

Traps:
-Dark Coffin- x1
-A Hero Emerges- x1
-Rite of Spirit- x1
-Needle Ceiling- x1
-Chain Disappearance- x1
-Self-Destruct Button- x1
-Begone, Knave!- x1
-Bottomless Shifting Sand- x1

---

CURRENT DECK :
(A small few changes made from base)

Normal Monsters:
-Master Kyonshee- x1

Effect Tributes:
-Vampire Genesis- x1
-Despair from the Dark- x2
-Ryu Kokki- x2
-Dark Dust Spirit- x1
-Vampire Lord- x1

Effect Monsters:
-Regenerating Mummy- x2
-Double Coston- x1
-Vampire Lady- x1
-Pyramid Turtle- x3
-Soul-Absorbing Bone Tower- x1
-Spirit Reaper- x1

Spells:
-Book of Life- x2
-Heavy Storm- x1
-Creature Swap- x2
-Giant Trunade- x1
-Pot of Greed- x1
-Fissure- x1
-Nobleman of Crossout- x1
-Brain Control- x1
-Mystical Space Typhoon- x1
-Reload- x2
-Call of the Mummy- x2
-Card of Safe Return- x1
-Snatch Steal- x1

Traps:
-Reckless Greed- x1
-Torrential Tribute- x1
-Sakuretsu Armor- x1
-Dust Tornado- x1
-Compulsory Evacuation Device- x3
-Magic Jammer- x1

----

What I need now is 1 card that you want Mari to have to play in the deck, and which of the following opponents will we challenge first. Each voter gets their own card to add, whatever card you vote for gets added unquestioningly! (After each duelist, the floor opens to change your card as well):

1. -Kuriboh-
2. -Scapegoat-
3. -Skull Servant-
4. -Watapon-
5. -White Magician Pikeru-

Alright, I'll go ahead and close off voting. With this, we've got:

DMoC, Orca Fortress, 1x Black Tyranno, Berserk Gorilla, Don Zaloog, Owl of Luck, and Maiden of the Aqua.

And we'll be dueling the goats. Your format is over, fluffballs. :black101:

Update 03: Sacrificial Lamb

QUIZMAN: Hrm... the voices say...

QUIZMAN: ... The smallest non-avian dinosaur skeleton uncovered was that of the microraptor. It's wingspan is-

MARILITH: Old man, I need to know my required cards. You can catch up on your family matters with other fossils later.

QUIZMAN: ... The voices say:

MARILITH: ...Hmph, well some of those are good.

MARILITH: This will have to work, I suppose.

Our final deck ends up at 45 cards. 40 is usually considered the optimal, but I tend to build a lot of decks at 44 cards so this isn't a big change. It's mostly only +5 because I couldn't afford to remove too much without weakening the primary zombie engine.
DMoC, Zaloog, and Gorilla are all great throw ins, the others need a little work. Black Tyranno has its niches with a strong passive effect, and Gaia Power does work with it, something we can search with the Owl. Unfortunately, we're headed into a fight that mainly uses Earth monsters and it'd provide more advantage to them than us.

Owl ends up being a bit of a dead card, Orca's just a little extra ATK without its partner cards, and Maiden of the Aqua is at least a 2k defender. The two Despair from the Dark and Big Man Genny take a spot on the bench for this one, I don't want to play too many tributes.

COPYCAT: Ready for your first duel?

MARILITH: It's far from my first. You'll see me at the top soon.

COPYCAT: Hohoho! Well then, if you're Ms. Confidence... here's your list of opponents! Just take your pick!

MARILITH: Kuriboh... Pikeru... Scapegoat? Such simple deck names. Psh.

MARILITH: Anyone dedicating their deck to Scapegoat is behind the times. I'll give them an injection of reality with my Fresh Fangs.

COPYCAT: Alrighty! Have fun! Hoohooheehee!

MARILITH: Wait, where are you going?!

MARILITH: ...I'm supposed to just find them myself, then? I see we're making all kinds of strides in lack of organization.

MARILITH: ... Excuse me?

SCAPEGOAT: Baa. (Hi.)

MARILITH: Somebody get me on the phone with an architect, I'm going to need a lot suspension for this disbelief:

MARILITH: That's a floating sheep.

SCAPEGOAT: Maah. Bah! (I am a goat, you reprobate. I will not tolerate this insult!)

Surprise (?), we're not fighting people. We're fighting the creatures in the cards themselves.

MARILITH: Very well. This will be a defeat so crushing for you that even being sheared would be preferable.

SCAPEGOAT: Baa. (SACRIFICES FOR THE GOAT GODS!)

While most duelists have decks somewhat related to themselves, -Scapegoat- is an outlier to a certain degree. I can respect not putting goat -> -Metamorphosis- -> -Thousand-Eyes Restrict- in the first roster.

"Adversity Monsters" isn't any slouch though. They gave this goat a pretty brutal strategy to lay into us with.

We miss the coin flip to choose if we go first or second, but as the AI randomly chooses for themselves, we get to go first anyways.

Whether or not you want to go first depends on the deck. Our deck can go either way, but we really profit going second if Call of the Mummy ends up in our hand.

MARILITH: Let's duel, shall we?

MUSIC: Level 1 Duel

We get our first taste of the duel music. This one's relatively chill, but there are some bops in the soundtrack later. Nothing as good as the Power of Chaos trilogy though.

MARILITH: I draw.

We open Spirit Reaper, Don Zaloog, Dark Dust Spirit, Regenerating Mummy, Book of Life, and Sakuretsu Armor. Pretty good hand. With no tributes in sight, it looks like we're going for a hand destruction strategy up front.

For now, I'll be showing a few extra screenshots of turn transitions for those still new to the game, but those will become an afterthought later.

MARILITH: I set two, pass. Go ahead.

The ever present "T-set, pass" in action, this is a frequent opening in slower, reactive hands, and in general on the first turn of the game. One monster, one face-down Spell/Trap. Reaper and Sakuretsu, in our case.

It's not something you see any more what with combo spam gameplay and cards punishing putting more than 1 card in a column.

SCAPEGOAT: Beeeah! (Beeeah!)

-Magical Mallet- is a mulligan card like Reload, but it lets you selectively choose what you send back. It's a straight upgrade. Of course, Goat here just sent it's whole hand back anyways.

The AI knows how to selectively pick, so the rest of its hand must really have been a brick of nothing. :V:

MARILITH: How forutnate for you. It still won't be enough.

As Pot of Greed is effectively +1 hand size and Mallet/Reload are -1 hand size, this is pretty much a completely free mulligan for our opponent.

MARILITH: (Giant Orc^&...? That is a strong opening.)

MARILITH: Hm? Too afraid to attack, sheep?

SCAPEGOAT: Baaah! (Meet me on the field of combat, you kid!)

And thus, Scapegoat reveals part 1 of its deck strategy. Adversity Monsters runs a wealth of big beatsticks who are restrained by their effects. Because monsters like these are generally lost when they attack they're better used as aggressive defenders.

MARILITH: (I'll need something large to safely contest that orc.)

MARILITH: Hm. Good timing...

MARILITH: Go ahead.

SCAPEGOAT: Bleeaah. (Coward!)

With two backrow, (set Spell/Traps,) it's a reasonable estimation that something nasty is back there to punish us tributing in Dust Spirit or the Ryu Kokki we just drew. Besides, I'd rather not waste our Reaper on board for a tribute just yet.

MARILITH: (-Bait Doll-?!)

MARILITH: ...Hah, if you think I needed that you're in the wrong.

Bait Doll disarming our Sakuretsu Armor hurts. The plan was to wipe whatever he attacks in with. We'd be in much worse of a position if we didn't have Book of Life in hand. Still hurts though, and Bait Doll is a good card.

SCAPEGOAT: Bleeaaah! (Behemoth, King of All Animals, recieve my sacrifice!)

MARILITH: A tribute summon...?!

SCAPEGOAT: Maah! (Behold!)

Goaty McGoatface wastes no time in attacking us now that we have no backrow. Annoyingly it went for the facedown Mummy, not our Spirit Reaper.

Summoning a monster that gets nerfed down to 2000 on top of a 2300 ATK monster might seem bad, but now our opponent can press the offensive without penalty. They've also got other reasons for it...

MARILITH: You think I'm surprised? Pfah. Hardly.

MARILITH: (Well, now I know exactly what kind of deck I'm dealing with...)

-Skill Drain- is Scapegoat's actual main card. By stopping the effects of all monsters on the field, it allows one to summon these monsters and escape their drawbacks. Behemoth is now back to his original 2700, and even worse, he'll stay that way even if we get rid of Skill Drain.

It's also worth mentioning that the only monster we have in deck that's big enough to contest this in battle is DMoC. And that takes 2 tributes to get out...

The goat sends Behemoth to annihilate our face-down Mummy. Not much of a loss.

MARILITH: (The other Book? This will help buy time...)

MARILITH: Hmhm... you've got me on the back foot, don't you?

MARILITH: Set and pass.

SCAPEGOAT: Meeah. (You cannot run forever.)

Zaloog goes down to defend us. He's the last normal summonable we have.

Goat follows up with -Chainsaw Insect- from hand. As big as Ryu Kokki with the only penalty being we'd get to draw a card every time it battles us. That effect is off though, so it's a plain 2400 beater.[/i]

MARILITH: No card for me, I suppose. How selfish of you.

The game actively gives us this display every time an effect is negated. Also, RIP Zaloog.

SCAPEGOAT: Bleaah. (You will reap our fields no longer! Long live the Goat!)

Also RIP Spirit Reaper. Skill Drain removes his protection to death by battle. It's not looking good for us!

MARILITH: (I can hold out a few turns more at best. I will not show fear.)

MARILITH: Ahaha... Nyahaha! My patience is rewarded!

MARILITH: You foolish furball. When a snake recoils, it moves not to retreat, but to strike!

MARILITH: Heavy Storm!

SCAPEGOAT: Bleaaah?! (How?!)

Skill Drain is eliminated, alongside -Royal Surrender- of all things. We don't even have any Continuous Traps in our deck.

MARILITH: I claim the soul of your sacrificed orc for my own. Book of Life, return to me the Spirit Reaper!

SCAPEGOAT: Bah! (You'd hide behind that yet again? Coward!)

MARILITH: That's not all.

MARILITH: The winds blow in my favor with a toxic typhoon! I unleash the Dark Dust Spirit!

MARILITH: See what befalls your King now!

SCAPEGOAT: Bah bleeah! (No! Impossible!)

MARILITH: Their pastures are left barren... Go! Attack their life points directly!

SCAPEGOAT: Baaaaah!

This is all a really dramatic way to say I heart of the cards'd a Heavy Storm and proceeded to go from a clean board on my side to a clean board on their side. But hey, first blood, I guess. Only took 7 turns.

We are, of course, left with an empty board ourselves. Dark Dust Spirit does have the Spirit effect after all. It's a pretty dried-up board state.

MARILITH: Ngh! You'll need more than that to contest me.

Goat drops in -Indomitable Fighter Lei Lei-, another beefy boy who does the same thing as Giant Orc.

In this case, it may or may not be beneficial for it to end up in defense position. Depends on what I draw.

SCAPEGOAT: Mah. (I set a card. You go.)

MARILITH: You will find I am more resilient than you could ever imagine-

MARILITH: Rise from your false grave, Don Zaloog! Consume the spirit a dethroned king and continue the harvest, Spirit Reaper!

Although being carried by luck of the draw, this duel is really starting to show how the zombies can make a quick turnaround, and how powerful special summons of any kind really are. The opportunity is open for me to burn away Scapegoat's hand, I'm just taking the risk that a second Skill Drain isn't waiting for me already.

A brief aside to note that Don Zaloog is one of Yu-Gi-Oh's recipients of censorship. He originally dual wielded guns, but they gave him swords instead because that's... less violent? :shrug:

There's a slight misplay in making Zaloog take out the defenseless Lei Lei, Reaper will do less damage on the direct attack and both can rip a card out of my opponent's hand. Oh well, it's a power move.

MARILITH: Say goodbye to your hand...

MARILITH: -A Feather of the Phoenix-? Aww... were you thinking of bringing back your so-called king?

SCAPEGOAT: Bahbah! (You...!)

SCAPEGOAT: Baaaah! (Go, Dual-Mode Beast!)

MARILITH: Hmph! How weak...!

Scapegoat drops and rams into our Reaper one of the most wholly Yu-Gi-Oh cards in terms of visual design and naming: -Fusilier Dragon, the Dual-Mode Beast-. If Skill Drain was up, this would be a devastating 2800 monster, but its currently halved. Also note that it is neither a Dragon or a Beast type monster. It's a Machine. :geno:

This mostly serves to get a drive-by 1100 damage on us since Reaper is in attack position. A desperate move, really, though potentially better than crashing into our 1400 Don Zaloog.

MARILITH: It seems fortune continues to smile upon me. How humiliating for you.

We get Double Coston and Card of Safe Return off of the Greed draw, and go ahead and play both. There isn't any revival left in deck for Safe Return, but our opponent doesn't know that.

Coston is able to hit over Fusilier, so that's preferable to putting in Ryu Kokki. I'd prefer to keep Reaper, and Zaloog will be good to keep milling out the Goat's deck.

MARILITH: Don Zaloog, the chance is yours! Reveal to me what is in their deck!

SCAPEGOAT: Baaah...! (N-No!)

MARILITH: Another of your party tricks gone? How disappointing... Mhmhm!

The Zaloog hit mills off -Jirai Gumo- and another Skill Drain. This furball plays three of those of course. Gumo is one of the earliest "Adversity Monsters" I suppose, having the cost of making a coinflip on attack that if you call wrong, your LP is halved..

SCAPEGOAT: Bleeaaah... (I've failed...)

MARILITH: Hah! Is this your concession then?

MARILITH: I refuse your surrender. Let's see what these last three cards are first, hm?

MARILITH: ...How fitting.

Goat drew into Bait Doll again, and the Zaloog mill revealed the third Skill Drain and a -Seven Tools of the Bandit-. By luck of the cards, we pulled through.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't deny a concession.

MARILITH: Double Coston! Show this creature that there is no escape from me!

SCAPEGOAT: Baah baah... (Goat God, I have failed you...)

SCAPEGOAT: Baaaaaah! Bleeeeaaah! (In the end, I was nothing more than a sheeeeeeep!)

QUIZMAN: ... No, you fool! The answer is obviously C!

MARILITH: Old man, here's my reports for the match. I understand you're supposed to handle them.

QUIZMAN: Hum? Whuzzat?! The city of Ontario was officially named in 1867?!

MARILITH: Dispense with the trivia and take note of the history unfolding in front of you.

MARILITH: 5 to 1. Can't say I expected this tournament to be first to five wins, though the result of the match was predictable.

QUIZMAN: Oh... Right, I'll file this later...

At the end of each duel, you're graded on your performance, with the final score being how much DP we get for it. In the case of this one, we ended up making 668 DP.

Many of the categories are... vague. What does "Spell Card Bonus" entail? Why is not using any traps worth almost as much? No idea. Presumably the Destroy in Battle/Spell Card/Trap Card bonus are based off how many times you do/activate them.

Early on though, it's best to win purely by battle, and with an exact kill if you can manage it.

MARILITH: The second was going in my favor... until it wasn't. I couldn't keep that weakening trap off the board; the cards wouldn't fall right.

MARILITH: This one was a slaughter on both sides. The sheep never drew into the more powerful monsters, so the dread zombie Ryu Kokki held the field.

MARILITH: ...The orca did something too, I suppose.

MARILITH: This was over before it started. A weak defense is a fatal turn of fortune against me.

MARILITH: The great might of the one who has survived both Light and Dark, the Dark Magician of Chaos was more than my meager foe could contend with in this one.

MARILITH: And for the last, the ungulate particularly annoyed me as it prevented my one chance to make any use out of the dinosaur.

MARILITH: I admit, I was quite miffed. It was a long duel in which I used their own mechanical dragon against them, in the end won by one particular card of interest.

QUIZMAN: Mhm... mhm... the giant panda is most closely related to the bear...

MARILITH: Old man, have you lost it?

QUIZMAN: You're total is 4746 DP. I call you when I get the results of the voices... from beyond...

MARILITH: I'll find myself a drink while I wait.

MARILITH: ...And some answers, provided I can find that lanky clown to shake them out of. I find it rather insulting I've been made to duel a barn animal.

Progressing anywhere in this game entails beating a duelist 5 times for the most part, so the plan is to just do that as we go. Otherwise I'd be here for absolutely forever. The plan was to show a full 2 wins, but I felt like it was running a little long. You can weigh in on that, and if you do want to see more of the duels in detail, (including from this set,) I can work something out. I record all of them after all.

That done, our deck proved the backing power of zombies was enough to pull through, with or without luck on our side. I'd rate Scapegoat as one of the hardest of the first 5, personally, but it all depends on what kind of deck you're playing. Owl of Luck is the only card that didn't really get to contribute, mostly because playing Gaia Power would be shooting ourselves in the foot against Scapegoat.

Anyhow, let's give the radio trivia quiz man your votes on what we buy. I'm sure he's out to answer useless trivia of his own in the meantime.

We have 4746 DP!
* Votes for a card pack without an amount will assume going All In.

-> OFFICIAL BANLIST <-

- - CARD PACKS - -

-> Extended Listings <-
(This has the correct rarities, but the below links give a bit more info on the contents.)

V - Short Listings - V

(All packs currently carry 5 cards. I'll let you know when that changes.)

150 DP each:

LEGEND OF BLUE-EYES WHITE DRAGON

METAL RAIDERS

200 DP each:

PHARAOH'S SERVANT

SPELL RULER

250 DP each:

LABYRINTH OF NIGHTMARE

LEGACY OF DARKNESS

300 DP each:

PHARAONIC GUARDIAN

MAGICIAN'S FORCE

DARK CRISIS

350 DP each:

INVASION OF CHAOS

ANCIENT SANCTUARY

Alright, will close off the votes for now, I'll see exactly what we end up buying when I tally it all up.

Update 4: Almost Seven Completed

MUSIC: Game Menu

QUIZMAN: Hrm... Jackie Joyner-Kersee... 1988 and 1992...

QUIZMAN: Eh? No, you fool! It's the heptathalon not the decathalon! Anyone knows that!

MARILITH: Old man, you know what else is known? That I'm still here. Waiting for my cards.

QUIZMAN: Eh? Oh... here.

MARILITH: ...Thank you.

MARILITH: 8 of Metal Raiders, and 7 each of Pharaoh's Servant. and Magic Ruler? Some power to be had here, no doubt about it.

I tried to sort of weight the packs on their cost to vote amount, but I don't know if that really worked out. This is what we got anyways.

MARILITH: My luck seems to fancy handing me the card depicted on the pack...

-B. Skull Dragon- in the first pack. One of the beefiest fusions around, but not terribly worth the investment in the long run. The requisite Summoned Skull with a good equip card has more ATK for less cards required.

-Witch's Apprentice- is one card from a set of attribute supporting monsters. In this case, while she's on the field, Dark monsters get +500 ATK and Light monsters lose 400. Some people don't like these cards much for their main weakness of having low stats making them easy to destroy in battle, but there's ways around that. I find people undervalue ATK boosts in general, personally.

MARILITH: Now there's a worthy card! Simple, but quite effective...

-Summoned Skull- is most well known for being the largest single tribute monster to exist for years until it's throne was taken by Frostosaurus. With 2500 ATK, it's a very large body that most monsters will struggle to beat without assistance. Outside of King of Beasts and Fusilier, this beats everything in Scapegoat's deck. Though the noted downside is that it does take a tribute and has no effects. In early beatdown type games, this card is king.

It's also very similar to a specific Magic the Gathering card. Makes sense given this game's origin is that Kazuki Takahashi really just liked MtG and wanted to write a manga about a high stakes card game.

MARILITH: Ah. More clowns.

-Dream Clown- and the currently unobtained -Crass Clown- are the signature cards for an early deck known as Clown Control. These two monsters are very effective, repeatable removal cards that can lock your opponent out of keeping anything on board. -Bickuribox- happens to be made from both of them, but has no worthwhile use outside of maybe exiting the control strategy if it gets broken. Would've been crazy if it actually had a relevant effect.

-Gate Guardian- is a very cool card that takes way too much to get out. Requiring the on field combination of -Kazejin-, -Suijin-, and -Sanga of the Thunder-, you're probably already winning from that standpoint. Even lacking the protection effects of it's component pieces, it only has being the biggest non-extra deck monster as it's accolade. Still funny though.

MARILITH: Well, hello, you. You're still serviceable, perhaps...

The legendary -Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon- is less known for it's presence here, and more for being the go-to fusion in the Forbidden Memories game. At least due to the effect of it's component piece, -Thunder Dragon-, it is one of the fusions with the easiest conditions to meet. And that's something.

There's also -Mask of Darkness-, which is Magician of Faith but for traps.

Oh look, it's Thunder Dragon. TD is mostly known for its effect of discarding it to pull all other copies from your deck into your hand moreso than its statline. With three copies in deck, this technically means you can thin your deck out by 1 card and get an extra card in hand. Outside of Twin-Headed, TD just doesn't do much though and is just a poorly statted 1 tribute.

MARILITH: Mhmhm. The hand destruction triangle is all in attendance now. Welcome, -White Magical Hat-.

White Hat is the last of the three notable hand destruction monsters. Though he lacks power compared to the other two (Reaper and Zaloog), he does have a cool 'stache.

-Trap Dustshoot- is another hand destruction card we pick up along the way in this pack draw, though I don't value it as much as some others do. In general, it's a match duel (first to 2 wins) side deck kind of card and this game just does single duels for the CPU anyways.

MARILITH: ...Huh. It's the old man. How about that?

-Reversal Quiz- is a funny card, and we do have the requisite Black Pendant to do the FTK/OTK. The problem is that we don't have nearly enough of a draw engine to support it.

Cat of Ill Omen searches a trap, improved by Necrovalley, and -Gravekeeper's Spy- is a 2000 DEF monster that brings other Gravekeepers to the field. Including copies of itself. This card was a raw staple in a lot of decks.

-Reaper on the Nightmare- we could make if we had -Polymerization-. It's very funny at least and the guaranteed direct hit does let him tear cards out of the hand effectively.

I should mention that the way Fusions normally work is that you need the listed materials (or valid substitutes) in hand or on the field, alongside the spell Polymerization. Play Poly, send away the material monsters, and special summon the appropriate monster.

MARILITH: Ah, there you are. At last, the land of the dead, -Necrovalley-. I'll enjoy watching my opponents squirm as I take them on a little tour...

MARILITH: Snake Jar is far from the best serpent, but it has some uses.

Necrovalley is the Gravekeeper's field spell giving them 500 ATK/DEF. More than just that, it boosts the effects of An Owl of Luck and A Cat of Ill Omen, alongside stopping cards in the graveyard from being moved or interacted with in any way. Very effective against decks that use the graveyard as part of their advantage (read: Zombies and Chaos).

-Snake Jar- is minor, but it's at least a byline to a 1 tribute.

-Dice Jar- is also very funny. The chance to burn yourself or your opponent for 6000 will never not be funny. Very dangerous though.

MARILITH: This... now this is power... Limited, but with potential.

-Metamorphosis- was one of the key pieces in classic Goat Format, and though it may be restricted down to a single copy shenanigans can still be had. This solves our lack of a Polymerization in a peculiar way.

Metamorph basically lets you exchange a monster from your field with one from your extra deck as long as they have the same level. Right now, our only good targets are Twin-Headed at level 7 (we have quite a few 7s) and Reaper on the Nightmare at 5. The other fusions we own are either just not good (everything that's not B. Skull Dragon) or we lack a good level target for (B. Skull Dragon).

Historically, this was used to turn Scapegoat tokens into -Thousand-Eyes Restrict- alongside a few other mild utility monsters.

-King Tiger Wanghu- is a brutal floodgate if you're going up against an opponent that relies on weak monsters with strong effects as he instantly destroys any card with 1400 or less ATK if they're on the field at all.

MARILITH: Hmph. A promising start to this one. Let us see if this can top anything obtained thus far...

Getting into Magic Spell Ruler, we open with some cards of note immediately.

-Maha Vailo- is a personal favorite, simply being a monster that gets even huger with every equip card it has. -Hamburger Recipe- is the ritual spell to summon one of the greatest Yu-gi-oh meme cards in existence, -Hungry Burger-.

And -Relinquished- on the end is the component piece for normally fusing Restrict, but otherwise is a real piece of work that basically absorbs an opponent's monster.

This leads us to talk about Ritual Monsters for the first time. Each ritual monster can only be summoned by its appropriate ritual spell. The ritual spell requires you to tribute enough monsters from field or hand whose levels total or exceed the level of the ritual monster. The ritual monster also has to be in hand for this.

With fusions often needing many dead weight cards in deck and rituals eating up 2 cards in deck that often do nothing, neither were played that often historically. Metamorphosis opened the way for some fusions, and rituals have some support cards, but they've always been strategies that ask for chunky card combos. Even modern ritual decks still hard brick (a.k.a, end up with a completely unusable hand).

Rituals are still super cool though, and some are powerful. Being in this early GX era, one of the most viable ones is even in the game now, Demise. If you do vote for a ritual monster, I'll include the requisite spell and vice-versa.

MARILITH: Now this... this is a risky way to slither out of a tight situation. I'll enjoy the look on their faces when it reveals itself, at the very least.

-Cyber Jar- is an exceedingly dangerous, but also funny card... like most of the jars, really. It blows up the whole field, then each player pulls 5 cards of the top off their deck and is forced to summon any of them that are level 4 and valid to normal summon. Even funnier, it allows the player to special summon the monster face-down.

Outside of being a highly varying board wipe where either player can end up with a huge advantage, the latter effect I mentioned makes this good for decks that like other flip monsters. It's restricted to 1 for a reason.

There's also the Burger which is a Warrior type for some reason, -Malevolent Nuzzler- as a good basic equip spell,-Toll-, a rude stall and burn card. and-Karate Man- is a poor duelist's Dark Elf.

MARILITH: Not particularly appetizing, but as a card... well, it may have it's uses.

-Mystic Tomato- is a "recruiter" like our Pyramid Turtle, but targets specifically dark monsters. Many of our zombies are dark, but this targets 1500 ATK Dark monsters. Most of our stuff has more than that. At the very least it gets Spirit Reaper, and will also help in grabbing Gravekeepers as they almost all have 1500 ATK or less.

-Flash Assailant- is kind of an Adversity Monster based on having little to no cards in hand. It has the benefit of being Dark attribute at least.

-Crab Turtle- was once the biggest ritual, but not anymore.

-House of Adhesive Tape- is very peculiar, a funky Trap Hole targeting cards with very low DEF. I feel like it was specifically made for countering Jirai Gumo.

MARILITH: Ah... the -Axe of Despair-, and with it, the watcher of Necrovalley, the -Gravekeeper's Servant-.

MARILITH: Both of you will prove very, very useful. You serve me now, Servant.

The axe is one of three premiere equip cards from this era, granting 1000 ATK and having an optional effect to recover it. It alone is a huge power increase that allows threatening large monsters with little investment. A Summoned Skull wielding it becomes 3500, outclassing both B. Skull Dragon and Blue-eyes White Dragon. Maha Vailo ends up 3050 ATK from it alone, also allowing it to contest Blue-Eyes.

Gravekeeper's Servant makes the opponent have to send 1 card from the top of their deck in order to declare an attack. You can have 3 of these on field. It gets bad fast.

Even worse, when combined with a card that forces cards to be banished instead of going to the grave, your opponent simply cannot attack. This card is very mean, and if we continue to fill out our hand destruction and mill cards, we might have an exceedingly evil deck on our hands.

MARILITH: Another Trunade is appreciated.

MARILITH: ...-Performance of Sword-? Hm.

Performance isn't amazing, but she's about as functional as Burger. I always really just liked her card art. :shobon:

The two of them can be used in a sort of ritual Earth Warriors type deck, but that's about it. They are the same level though, so you can pay the ritual cost of summoning one by tributing the other out of your hand. That's completely valid.

The last two packs outfit us with a second Performance and her ritual, the ritual to summon Relinquished, as well as another Crab Turtle, the Water recruiter -Mother Grizzly- (why is the bear a water? nobody knows) and -Messenger of Peace-.

The latter is a good stalling card, preventing things with more than 1500 ATK from attacking. It has a tiny per turn cost of 100LP that is also completely optional, so it's obnoxiously good.

MARILITH: A lot to work with, but there's no need to rush into deck construction.

MARILITH: We'll see what I have to fit in first. Hopefully something good...

Time for the voting!

-> FULL CARD TRUNK + LAST DECK HERE <-

PACK RESULTS:
Results wrote:
Normal Tributes-
-Hyozanryu- x1
-Summoned Skull- x1
-Flame Cerebrus- x1

Normal Monsters-
-Kabazauls- x2
-Inpachi- x1
-Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts- x2
-Ancient Elf- x2
-Red Archery Girl- x1
-Tongyo- x1
-Feral Imp- x2
-Harpie Lady- x1
-Jellyfish- x2
-Killer Needle- x1
-Baby Dragon- x2
-Liquid Beast- x1
-Rock Ogre Grotto #1- x1
-Mechanical Snail- x1
-Saggi the Dark Clown- x1
-Mega Thunderball- x1
-Petit Moth- x1

Effect Tributes -

-Gate Guardian- x1
-Mystical Knight of Jackal- x1
-Thunder Dragon- x2

Effect Normal Summons -

-Flash Assailant- x2
-Winged Sage Falcos- x1
-King Tiger Wanghu- x1
-Maha Vailo- x1
-Wandering Mummy- x1
-Gravekeeper's Spear Soldier- x1
-Mystic Tomato- x1
-Mother Grizzly- x1
-Gravekeeper's Spy- x1
-Dream Clown- x1
-Karate Man- x3
-White Magical Hat- x1
-Cyber Jar- x1
-Penguin Knight- x1
-Dice Jar- x1
-Mask of Darkness- x2
-Hiro's Shadow Scout- x1
-Cobra Jar- x1
-Witch's Apprentice- x1
-Sasuke Samurai- x1
-A Cat of Ill Omen- x2
-Milus Radiant- x1

Spell Cards -
-Reversal Quiz- x2
-Block Attack- x1
-Timidity- x1
-The Cheerful Coffin- x1
-Giant Trunade- x1
-Metamorphosis- x1
-Royal Tribute- x1
-Elegant Egotist- x1
-Black Illusion Ritual- x1
-Commencement Dance- x1
-Hamburger Recipe- x1
-The Reliable Guardian- x1
-Tailor of the Fickle- x1
-Pyramid Energy- x1
-Gravekeeper's Servant- x1
-Messenger of Peace- x1
-Toll- x1
-Axe of Despair- x1
-Malevolent Nuzzler- x1
-Molten Destruction- x1
-Necrovalley- x1

Trap Cards -
-Snake Fang- x1
-Dark Coffin- x1
-House of Adhesive Tape- x1
-Rite of Spirit- x1
-Needle Ceiling- x1
-Trap Dustshoot- x1
-Non Aggression Area- x1
-Disturbance Strategy- x3
-Needle Wall- x1
-Curse of Royal- x2
-Tutan Mask- x1
-Magic Jammer- x1

Ritual Monsters -
Missing Required Spell:
-Crab Turtle- x2

Summonable:
-Hungry Burger- x1
-Performance of Sword- x2
-Relinquished- x1

Extra Deck -
Black Skull Dragon x1
-Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon- x2
-Bickuribox- x1
-Rabid Horseman- x1
-Giltia the D. Knight- x1
-Kaminari Attack- x2
-Reaper on the Nightmare- x2

CARD CHOICE:
1 card that you want Mari to have to play in the deck for this next set of duels. Each voter gets their own card to add, so there's no need to double up on a vote unless you specifically want me to play multiple. Depending on what's forced, I might play all copies anyways. It depends.

The card can be any card from the trunk or in the new draws.

DUELIST CHOICE:

1. -Kuriboh-
2. -Skull Servant-
3. -Watapon-
4. -White Magician Pikeru-

Oh neat! Surprised to see a playthrough of one of these games but neat nonetheless. I've only ever played the DS World Championship games, but the early GBA ones are such an interesting time in the history of Yu-Gi-Oh! as it slowly finds its unique identity and shows the evolution of an initially very barebones simulator.
I do know that there's some really weird bugs in this game, including one involving Goddess of Creation - Venus that would eventually lead to someone winning the World Championship tournament for this game in two turns, so it will be fun to see if you eventually gather the cards to show off some of the more awkward interactions.