You Wish Aliens Were The Only Threat: Let's Play X-COM Files!

Put your Let's Plays in here.

X-COM UFO Defense, known as UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe (and the Steam version apparently) is a strategy game released in 1994 and created by a company called MicroProse. It was a big success both critically and commercially and spawned several sequels in the X-COM universe, as well as several games inspired by X-COM such as the UFO Aftermath series and Xenonauts. After going dormant in 2001 the series received a reboot in 2012 with XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Open X-COM is a modification to the original X-COM UFO Defense to make it open-source and easily moddable. The reason I mentioned modability is that I’m playing a mod for the game which runs perfectly in Open X-COM, the X-COM Files.

The X-COM Files is a full conversion mod for X-COM UFO Defense in which X-COM is formed a full two years before the alien invasion (meaning the game starts in 1997 instead of 1999) to investigate mysterious animal attacks, alien worshipping cults, and other oddities. Under your care, X-COM will hopefully grow from a MIB-style investigation agency to a full-fledged alien fighting force.

This LP is going to be done in a narrative style, though I'll do my best to get the gameplay across however I can. If anyone wants to add a soldier to the pool, just comment with a name, weapon/combat role of choice, and anything else you want to add. You can also request/suggest any research topics, which opponents you’d like to focus on first, or journal entries from your soldiers if you feel like it. The first 4 characters submitted will join the initial 6 agents you start the game with. The first 2 slots have already been claimed.

So let's look beyond the veil and see what's hiding in the shadows. And hopefully this time it won't be a Reaper...

Case Files:
File 1: Settling in, and the First Encounter
File 2: The Four Cults and Our First Loss
Last edited by glwgameplayer on Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

File One: Settling In, and the First Encounter

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log, January 4th 1997.
Hello, this is Sunny, I’m one of the first 6 agents at X-COM. The brass is requesting that we make recordings to help “us” keep track of things. They didn’t specify who “us” is but it seemed like a good idea so…

X-COM has somehow exceeded my expectations and fallen short at the same time. On January 1st they had 6 of us agents moved to their first base. Another batch of 6 joined us a couple of days later. I don’t know whose idea it was to call this base “Rat Hill” but I agree that our base isn’t particularly… impressive

On one hand, the HQ itself has a small workshop, rooms for interrogation, and a single room that could serve as a mini laboratory. On the other hand, we have two giant hangers… which just have cars in them. Perfectly normal cars. The real shitshow started when I went to check out the armory.

Look at this loadout! I mean, I didn’t expect us to have top-of-the-line everything but… C’mon! The only solace to all of this is that when I brought it up to the quartermaster he gave me this sad look and told me that a shipment was coming in later today. He warned me not to get too excited though, we are pretty restricted in what we can obtain right now.

I guess I should talk about the support staff. As part of orientation, all of the agents were introduced to the support staff at X-COM. Apparently, they all came bearing gifts too.

The intelligence officer seems smart, a bit overly friendly though. I’m not sure what that comment about the medical officer is about either. That said, they brought a pack of “secret files” for the commander to pursue at his leisure so maybe they have some skills

I like the Quartermaster, he seems like a nice guy and he definitely has us, Agents, on his brain. He brought his old Luger with him and right before the first mission he offered to let me use it. He’s also working with the commander to try and acquire us some better armor, bulletproof vests, and such.

The Medical Officer was no-nonsense, she introduced herself, reminded us that she is qualified to cut up bodies for science, handed the commander a big briefcase of money, and retreated into her lab. She’s a little scary.

The Chief Accountant was intense and seemed a little doubtful about what we were doing. She told us and the commander straight to our faces that if we didn’t turn up some results we would be in the red before long, and that we were just a side project. She also had this sealed crate she handed the commander. I wonder what was in it

(Why did the accountant have this? Why did the accountant have this?)

After that, for our final step of initiation, we all sat down and talked about our general strategy. The UN doesn’t take us very seriously right now, so what we need to do is try to turn up evidence that what we were formed to fight exists in the first place, and then we have to prove effective at combatting them to turn up funding and promotions. To that end, the commander has provided enough tasers and stun batons to outfit the entire squad, though he has also reminded us that getting enemies alive is less important than us returning alive. I think he was genuine.

Our first call to action happened on January 3rd, with reports of mysterious animal attacks in Southeastern Asia. Dak Thornson and I both got into the company car and started an extended road trip there. Luckily we had passports and papers and everything to help speed us along but it was still kind of a trial. Took us almost the full day to get there.

When we arrived we got to flash our badges and dig for information, although it was pretty easy. People wanted the beast caught and were willing to tell us where it’s habitat was. They claimed it was some kind of bear-sized creature with slimy green skin and a long tentacle. I don’t believe in these strange cryptid-like animals that people claim exist, but something was killing those people and I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Case: Investigate Strange Lifeform

Sunny: People say this is around where people disappear. Let’s get out and look for clues

Dak Thornson: I don’t think clues are gonna be that important buddy.

Sunny: What do you mean?

Dak Thornson: Look over the hood of the car, that way, and tell me what you see.

At first I thought I was just looking at a bush or something, but then the creature opened its mouth as if yawning. It took me several seconds to realize that it was a frog, but somehow this frog was somewhere between the size of an elephant and the size of a bear. It didn’t seem to have noticed us yet.

Sunny: That’s… a frog? How the hell are we supposed to fight that? Hell, how are we supposed to get it with a taser?

Dak Thornson: Remember what the boss said, our lives are more important than bringing it in alive. It’s too far away for me to use my shotgun, hand me something else.

Dak and I got on the other side of the car and started taking potshots with our pistols. Once the frog knew where we were it started moving through the woods, crashing through the underbrush and behind trees. Most of our shots went wide but I could tell we were hurting it. Then disaster struck

I don’t know why he was in the woods, but one of the locals must of heard gunshots and come to investigate. The Frog, sensing easier prey changed direction and charged toward him

Sunny: NO!

Dak Thornson: Damn, nice shot!

It was a complete reflex, and I’m honestly amazed I made the shot. Somehow I managed to hit its center of mass, and the gargantuan frog finally passed out. Yes, I said passed out, somehow it was still alive despite the half dozen bullets in its body. When our cleanup crew arrived they took the frog with us, heavily sedated, and stored it in the back of a truck

Investigate Strange Lifeform: Case Closed

Dak and I both got promotions, moving us from Rookies to Senior Agents, completely skipping the rank of Agent. On top of that, we got medals too

For a mission in which civilians are in danger and they all survive contact with the enemy, we received a Cavalier medal. It felt surprisingly good to get a medal and know that the mutated frog will stop killing people.

Speaking of the frog… if I hadn’t gone to the creature's cages and saw it moving around I wouldn’t have believed it was real. The others keep trying to convince me it’s like, magic or a cryptid or some shit. I don’t know how it got so big but I figure mutations are more likely than “Dagon rituals” whatever the fuck that means

Anyway, once I’m done recording this we’re going to set out on another mission, so I should wrap up. This is Senior Agent Sunny, Signing off.

*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)
A Bullfrog is quite possibly one of the worst monsters to be your first monster, but luckily we started far away enough from it that it couldn’t rush us. That plus being on the other side of the car made it easy to chip at it from a distance. It’s kind of odd to be back in the early game again. I miss my Black Ops Magnum and my 78 TU supersoldiers.

Also, this one is a little short because I was experimenting with a new recording setup. It did not work very well and made things worse instead of better. I'll try and have that fixed for next time

File 2: The Four Cults and Our First Loss

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log, January 5th 1997 to January 18th 1997
After our initial success capturing the Bullfrog, missions seemed to pop up all over the globe day by day, The commander bought a second car and outfitted a second squad to keep up with the flood of missions

The first mission of this month was done by Burnt Toast and Hound Smith, who were investigating disappearances on an island north of Russia. Sadly it was that time of year where it’s always dark there, but they brought flares and flashlights. Good thing too because as Toast threw their second flare…

Burnt Toast: What the hell is that thing?
Hound Smith: It looks like a gorilla. An Albino gorilla. An angry Albino gorilla
The best picture we have is the one they took, and even so the detail isn’t amazing

We would need a dead one to examine it in great detail but from what we can tell it’s some kind of Albino Yeti/Gorilla thing? We’ve given it the designation of Mongorn
Hound Smith: It’s alright, we have guns and it doesn’t. All we have to do is stay here and we can kill it!
Burnt Toast: Hound, there are more!

Hound Smith: Let’s see… three albino gorillas, at night, in the frozen wastes, with nothing but handguns. Hmmm…
At that point they made the correct decision and got the hell out of there.

It was disappointing to not have killed them but I think they made the right choice. There’s no way they could take down multiple gorilla sized creatures with our pistols and shotguns. Maybe if they had a rifle or a proper pump action they could take it but… Nah

Next up, Ice Mole and The Lone Badger went on our first ever Cult Aprehension mission in… Malaysia I think?

I would love to say that it was some kind of deep and difficult investigation where they solved a series of mysteries and uncovered the truth but uh… Actually what happened is they entered a nearby building to ask for questions and came face to face with one of the cultists, who immediately pulled out a stun baton and screamed at them.

The Lone Badger: I have a suspect. I think? He’s got a stun baton and he’s wearing like martial arts clothes.
Ice Mole: Sounds like grounds for a tasing to me.
Mole and Badger searched the building before hearing a noise outside. When The Lone Badger went outside he found the next cult member charging him with a Tonfa and a cluster of throwing knives.

Since they already had a live suspect, Badger did what he thought appropriate and blew him away with a shotgun

The next Cult Aprehension actually almost went very badly for us. While Hound and Toast were investigating they found a man with an axe threatening them. They took up positions on opposite sides of a courtyard, trying to lure him in so that they could tase him

But as they were lying in wait, another cult member snuck up on Hound
Hound Smith: Toast be careful he has a friend! (Sounds of CQC and two gunshots)

(If Hound had failed this CQC check he absolutely would have died)
Burnt Toast: You may have hit me in my left arm, but the joke’s on you. I’m ambidextrous!
Hound took a step back from the cultist and blew him away with his shotgun while Toast managed to take him down with the taser.

Both of them are currently in the Med Bay. I feel a little bad for them but they say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Hopefully, by the time they come out, they’ll be tougher than they were

God, there were a lot of missions these past two weeks… Sorry, I’m only giving you the highlights but there were a lot of them. The next mission was Ice Mole and Badger again, and this time the mission started with a crossbow bolt breaking the back window of their car.

Ice Mole: I see the guy who shot at us. He’s on the second floor with an uh… Crossbow.
The Lone Badger: Alright check this out. I’m going to breach the bottom floor and use the door as cover. After he fires I’m going to close the door and tase him. Check it!
It was a good plan, and to his credit, it worked. Mostly. Badger missed both shots with his taser and had to fall back on old reliable.

The rest of the mission was pretty standard. Badger noticed a guy in the distance and kept an eye on them while Mole moved closer, hidden by a house. Mole came up behind him with the taser and that was that. Speaking of tasers, Mole got a medal for this mission, Tasemaster

The Tasemaster commendation is given out to soldiers who are good at bringing in people alive. I’d say Mole qualifies, keep up the good work buddy

Next mission was one of mine, we were out to investigate a cult called Red Dawn I think? There’s not a lot to say though. Two guys with baseball bats fronted up on us and tried to keep us quiet.

Dak Thornson: Oww! Bastard!
Sunny: Remember the taser’s in your left hand. We need at least one of them alive
Dak Thornson: Okay but does it have to be this one?

Now for something non mission related. The Quartermaster finally managed to open a channel of communication with our “higher ups” on personal protection. And they rejected our request for Kevlar vests. Said “we’re an investigation team not an army.” I heard the Quartermaster cursing all the way back to his desk. We have an order of leather coats coming in, but they won’t be here for a while

With all the pencil pushers freed up the Intelligence Officer went to work interrogating the cult members, and we went back to more missions, still as unarmored as we always were

This… is a bit of a weird one even for us. Reports of cattle mutilation by farmers and “aliens” which I think is a bunch of bullshit. But Crazy Achmed and Sam O’varr went to investigate anyways. And as soon as they got out of the car bullets were flying because the farmer had a shotgun.

Crazy Achmed: If you hide in the orchard hopefully he won’t be able to see you. I’ll get by this side of the barn you get that side. I hope we’ll be able to flank them
Sam O’varr: You’re surprisingly reasonable for a crazy person
Crazy Achmed: Oh that’s just my code name. I think.
The plan went off perfectly, and Achmed found another farmer on the other side and managed to tase him. He also found the cow body though and it’s… well. Look for yourself
(Content Warning. Next picture is a pixelated cow corpse)

The picture they took is horrifying. A cow on the ground violently dismembered… I kinda wonder if the farmers aren’t in a secre cult too. I find that a lot more likely than aliens.

The next mission me and badger teamed up and it was awful. It was nighttime, and a farmer with a shotgun was taking potshots at us from the second floor of his barn. We had to go all the way around to get to it because of the stupid fences in the way. His friend came at us with a pitchfork and tried to stab us, that was easy enough. But I was terrified that the farmer up stairs would get us before we got too close so I uh… Might have shot him with the snub nose pistol

As far as I’m concerned, better him than me. Also, there was this weird glowing… paste? Covering? Ooze? That the guys at home were really excited about. I’m waiting for it to be revealed that it was just reflective paint or something.

The next mission was pretty sad actually Achmed and Sam found themselves in a jungle looking into animal attacks and found more of those Mongorns

Crazy Achmed: I don’t want to try getting close to tase one of those. Can we even beat them with our guns?
Sam O’varr: Achmed there are civilians here! The Mongorn are killing them!

Crazy Achmed: Damn! Don’t get too close, but we have to try and do something!
(Sounds of gunshots and multiple animalistic roars. The gunshots stop but the roars continue, and grow louder and louder)
Sam O’varr:.. I’m out of ammo Achmed. We need to get out of here
Crazy Achmed:... Yeah. We do.

The next mission… The next mission felt like it was compounding on their earlier tragedy. Sam and Achmed were going door to door questioning people about the cult of Dagon when the door to Achmed’s house opened and he was staring down the barrel of a shotgun.

Crazy Achmed: I was wondering if you knew anything about the church of Da… gon…
(Sound of two shotgun blasts, one after the other)

Sam O’varr: Achmed are you alright! Talk to me!
Crazy Achmed: ‘malrigh. Jus gotta… stop bleedn…

Sam was on her way to help Achmed when a bullet whizzed past her head. She turned around and killed the cultist who shot at her in a single well-placed bullet. But by the time she made it to Achmed he was already dead. None of us were happy to hear the news, but I think Sam was struck the hardest by it

The final mission was so uninteresting that I would skip it if it wasn’t for the fact that we met a fourth cult on in. You probably know the drill by now, we drive into town and check some things out. A two-bit member of the cult takes a swing at us and we tase them. That’s basically what happened this time too with one exception

For some reason I can’t shoot through this damn fence. Every time I tried to aim I just, got my hand caught on it or the gun caught on it and it sucked.

The Exalt guy could shoot me through the fence just fine. So I borrowed his technique and tried to shoot through it from this angle

Worked like a charm.

I’m going to pour one out for Achmed, but we can’t sit around for too long. There’s 2 more active investigations we need to go on soon. But there is some good news. The Intelligence guys are working on cracking those cultists we brought in, and our Leather Coats arrived. There isn’t enough to outfit everyone at once but we move in teams of 2 so we have more than enough.

This is Captain Sunny, Signing off.
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)
I was trying to get out of the first month without anyone dying... I might have been able to save Achmed if I had him fire his gun at point-blank range but as you’ve seen already, CQC checks are required to attack with guns at close range. I wasn’t sure if he could make it or not. He managed to kill his attacker though so you know what. I Salute you Achmed.

Also, I’m sorry if these seemed a little sporadic but… I went on 10 missions, had a 50-minute recording (some of that is when I left it running when I had to go do something) and we advanced the clock by 12 days. In a game measured in years. So I tried to just hit the highlights

Basically my plan on the research front, there are 2 different paths we can take to unlock more scientists. One, we research medicine and advanced medicine to unlock the Bio Lab building. Two, we interrogate one of each cult and research their methods to unlock the Intelligence Center.

I may have made a mistake by trying to get to the Intelligence Center first but I made my choice. At the very least I’m glad I got the leather coats. It takes another research project to get Kevlar vests and that would be another 10 days at least with our research. It’s why I want more laboratory room immediately

Gameplay Corner: Soldier Stats and Training

Being based on X-COM UFO Defense, Files uses most of the same stats as UFO Defense, with a few additions. This here is Sunny’s stats after his very first mission, with the darker part of each bar being his base stats and the bright part is how much he’s grown since then.

TUs and Stamina are two resources you spend while moving, or doing much of anything really in Files. Both of them recover at the start of your next turn, but encumbrance can reduce a soldier’s TU and Stamina regeneration. Low sanity can also reduce TU and Stamina.

Health is, you know. How much damage you can take before you die or pass out. Lowered health and fatal injuries will also reduce the rest of your stats, so getting healed can be a good idea if the fight can’t be ended immediately. In addition to lowering stats, Fatal injuries will slowly drain your health every turn and can be cured with medical kits. They’re represented by a blood drop icon.

Bravery is the stat used to decide if your soldier is going to fold and panic due to low morale. Morale is also a stat, but it only matters on missions. It starts at 100 and goes down due to damage and dead soldiers. Getting kills will restore morale. If it falls below 50, the unit has to make a bravery check to remain under your control, otherwise they panic or go berserk

Reactions is how easy it is for your agents to react when an enemy takes an action. The reason why Sunny managed to blast that bullfrog in the first mission is probably due to his respectable reactions. It’s also a component of the melee dodge formula and the damage formula for precision melee weapons like knives.

Firing, Throwing, and Melee accuracy all modify accuracy with different kinds of weapons. As we can see, Sunny is a crack shot. Sunny would get stabbled two dozen times in a knife fight before landing one himself.

Strength modifies how much equipment you can carry into battle, it can also be a damage modifier on some weapons, mainly melee and throwing for obvious reasons

Sanity is an addition to Files which wasn’t in the original UFO Defense. Sanity is slowly worn away when Soldiers are on missions, and is restored by staying at home. If the boys spend 20 turns in the depths of a hell portal, their sanity will probably be much lower when they get home. Low sanity reduces the generation of TUs, Stamina, and may have an effect on morale? Not sure

Another thing to note is that in X-COM Files your soldiers can train, passively increasing their stats as long as they stay in the base an uninjured. Training can only go so far, usually increasing their overall stats by about 10 points each (more in some cases) but it goes a long way to making rookies usable instead of the worst.

I don’t actually know how quickly training happens or what the calculations are for it, but you really should put every single soldier you can through training.

The Armory
To be honest the weapons you start the game out with are all pretty abysmal

For melee options, we have a combat knife and an electric stun baton. As you can see, accuracy and strength can modify the damage of melee weapons, meaning that someone with extremely high strength or accuracy can inflict a lot of damage with a knife. Naturally, this comes at a cost, having to engage the enemy at point-blank range.

This is going to be our bread-and-butter option for capturing enemies alive for most of the game. It has a max range of 4 tiles which is basically point blank range but has a very powerful electric stun that can put down weaker targets instantly.

The Glock is actually the pistol you start the game with, and it’s a bit of a weird one. Low direct damage, middle-of-the-road accuracy, and the normal range for a pistol. However, it does have something going for it, a high rate of fire, a large clip, and the ability to perform auto shots. In fact, I’d say the Glock is secretly the game’s first SMG.

The Colt is what I consider to be the early game bread and butter weapon. It is the strongest pistol that we can acquire right now and it’s basically the opposite of the Glock. In exchange for a slower fire rate and a smaller clip, the Colt has increased stopping power and accuracy. Every other pistol we have, the Luger, the Barretta 92, and the Snubnose may have a very slightly higher fire rate or clip, but in exchange, they lose out on some stopping power. I consider a 2 point Time Unit loss to be… well a lot less important than dealing an average of 6 more damage per shot

The Small Shotgun is basically everything you’d expect from a Shotgun but boosted to a hilarious degree. Assuming every pellet lands it does an average of 15 damage 7 times, which may be useless against a well-armored target but would utterly evaporate someone else. Sadly the farthest it can fire before its accuracy starts tanking is 3 tiles. It can shoot further but generally speaking it’s a CQC weapon. Also, it’s the same size as a pistol, so it is technically concealable, can be stored on a belt, and can be used with one hand. Technically we have a two-handed shotgun available too, but it only fires 5 pellets in exchange for a range boost. I’d much rather wait so we can get a proper pump action shotgun with range and power.

This is… a bit of a weird one. It’s basically an impromptu smoke grenade/stun weapon? If you fire the Fire extinguisher it makes a small smoke cloud where it lands and puts out any smoke, but if someone is hit by the initial blast it does quite a bit of stun damage. I’m not going to make this a part of anyone’s load out or anything but uh… Yeah.

I didn’t grab a picture of them because they don’t really show anything important but, we have 3 different classes of medical items right now. Medical Kits, Medical Bags, and Medical Packs. They are in ascending order of both size and weight, with the kit being 1x2 and the rest being 2x2 in the inventory. It uses the normal X-COM medical system so each pack has Pain killers, which restore morale, Stimulants, which reduce stun damage and restore stamina, and “Heal” which removes fatal wounds on Soldiers. Kits have 1 of each, Bags 2 of each, and Packs 3 of each. We can also buy individual Stimulants and Pain Killers for our soldiers but. Why would I do that?

The suit is the armor we start the game with and it is objectively the worst in every way. 5 armor is the absolute minimum that an entity can possess. It has good resistance to EMP weapons on account of not having any mechanical or electronic parts but it’s outclassed in literally every way by our next item

The Leather Coat isn’t that much better than the suit, to be honest. It’s only a 3-point armor increase across the board, but that may have been enough armor to save Achmed’s life, so make of that what you will. It’s also worth mentioning that the Leather Coat has a higher melee dodge than the suit, and provides resistance against cutting and incendiary attacks. It’s also cheap, so I bought a bunch and equipped almost the whole crew with them.

10 missions in 12 ingame days? Yeesh, is that kind of density normal for this mod or did you just get unlucky?

X-COM Files runs a lot more missions than UFO defense ever did, but the missions are also correspondingly smaller in scope. A lot of those were against just 2 normal men armed with mundane human weapons instead of a ship with 4 sectoids in it.

Still kinda tiring though

File 3: The Form of The Cults

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log, January 18th 1997 to March 1st
Sorry to condense so much time into such a short log but we’ve started to hit a routine of sorts… From now on unless something particularly interesting happens I’ll be skipping over our missions. For the most part, they all end one of two ways, with a suspect being stunned and taken in for questioning, or with the suspect being killed.

I was on medical leave for about a week and a half after getting shot in the storage yard. I felt anxious and determined to get back in the field but I couldn’t do anything. The commander gave me an offer though. He’d put me to work filing paperwork and running odd jobs around the base. I agreed of course. Part of me wishes I didn’t, my hands felt like they were going to fall off by the third day. But I learned a lot working with our documents and stuff. For example, Land Surveys.

This group we are connected with, “The Council” I don’t know what they are but apparently they have connections all over the world. In exchange for payment, we can get them to do land surveys for us, and we get the results back. We have to manually debrief them and unpack all of the findings but it can be worth it to see what crops up

I don’t know what to say about our findings. The corpses are interesting, they’re proof of… Something. Mutants? Cryptids? I know for a fact there are some big spiders but these were as large as a dog. That’s not natural. Sadly they’re going into cold storage for now. There were also some crates full of weapons, and something else that went into cold storage. I didn’t get to see what it was but looking at the box… made my skin crawl.

(I don’t know if I call this lucky or not. On one hand, we got an extremely late-game corpse here. On the other hand, I’m not sure we can do anything with it yet.)

This month our focus was on getting our hands on Kevlar Vests. We had to fill out a metric ton of paperwork, though I’m happy to say that progress was made. And as it turned out the Leather Coats were being helpful already.

Badger got shot twice in one mission and came out on the other side okay. It could have been worse but he took cover and the Coat took the worst of it

(Given the way damage variance works, it's entirely possible this would have killed him)

Sam got in a shootout with someone at point-blank range, it become more of a wrestling match than a gunfight at some point, but she managed to outwrestle them

This one sounded scary as hell. Dak went out into the frozen wastes with someone, Jane Kane I think. And they came across something that definitely wasn’t natural. We’ve given the creature the designation of Reaper

The creature charged them as they opened fire, and it made it all the way to point-blank range before it passed out from its wounds.

Sadly there was no way for them to bring it back to base. They heard something else stomping around and the cleanup crew refused to come. They couldn’t find the second beast and had to leave the body behind

Overall I’d say our crew was doing really well. Outside of three agents on medical leave, one of them being me. We were doing great.

And to make things better, this is when the Kevlar Vests came in.

Kevlar vests are a must for any mission involving human enemies and guns. It’ll protect us from forward gunfire to a certain degree anyways. Although we decided that they aren’t the best for missions with monsters, for a reason you’ll see shortly

This one isn’t important I just thought it was funny. This EXALT guy tried to sneak up on Nick Danger and missed every single shot. Nick, blew him away with his shotgun and then got the other guy with a taser.

This one is kind of important. We’ve been having a lot of trouble taking in monsters with the Mongorns and the reaper. Jane Kane managed to get us a corpse from one of these beasties

As you probably expect it’s a giant Cobra, specifically a giant Cobra that can spit acid at quite a range. This would have been extremely bad for Kane except, for one thing, the leather coat.

Even as the cobra landed two big splashes of acid across his body the Leather Coat stood firm and resisted the attack. That, plus the increased maneuverability with the Leather Coat has the higher-ups thinking that it’s going to be the armor of choice for creature missions.

The nations who founded us are pleased. Universally pleased. Pleased enough to give us another 136 thousand dollars this month. Honestly looking at the price tag there I was in awe. They’re limiting us to Civilian class weaponry anyone can buy from a store, but they’re willing to shell out over a million dollars? We aren’t working on a shoestring budget at all and yet our resources are choked.

This is the start of February and… a lot of missions around this time were routine. No joke we just kept taking in members of each cult, no one died, a few people got hurt. It’s amazing that somehow fighting the dark corners of humanity got boring enough that I could say “routine”

That said there were plenty of developments in other areas. The Intel Officer put together an operations team and they managed to start putting research into a bunch of interesting fields

Sorry for skipping past February so fast but… there wasn’t a lot that happened to be honest. The one interesting event that happened in a mission is that while investigating an establishment Dak tried to go through the back way and got knocked out with a baseball bat.

Don’t worry though. He’s fine now

Outside of that February was nice and easy for us. We kept catching more and more members of these groups and the funding nations are once again rewarding us. We managed to put together some dossiers on the Cults, I'm saving those for the end though.

One final thing to note before I report on our Cult findings, we have started construction on an Information Center which will help us keep ahead of the curve. It has cells for interrogation as well as an office for paperwork (the HQ has been incredibly crowded up until now with people working on various projects. Now the Intelligence agents at least can go elsewhere)

Without further ado, our Cult enemies.

The Church of Dagon is set up primarily in Europe and Africa. They seem to worship some kind of deep-sea entity which they claim is all-powerful and needs to be fed. Apparently, they will occasionally go on massacres specifically to feed Dagon. We don’t know much about their inner workings or their battle tactics, but the rank and file seem like relatively normal people.

Black Lotus is primarily set up in South East Asia and worships an entity called the “Goddess Of Dawn.” We don’t know what their goal is exactly but we know that they are very powerful and wealthy, with hands in several extremely profitable endeavors. Again, we don’t know much about their inner workings or battle tactics, but they seem to have a preference for low-tech weapons like throwing knives

Red Dawn is primarily in the region surrounding Russia in Northern Asia. There’s no worship with these guys, they’re a full-on paramilitary organization that stole advanced tech and then went underground. Even their rank-and-file soldiers show some evidence of having been modified, although we aren’t sure as to the extent. I expect the higher tiers of theirs will have more military class weaponry

EXALT lies in the Americas and is a hidden organization that has very strong ties to the criminal underworld. One of their primary trade goods is something called Psiclone, which we haven’t managed to get a sample of yet but we’ve been told it’s a device that has psychoactive effects. Most likely alien in origin.

That's all I have right now. I don't know if March is going to shape up to be more interesting or not, but with the completion of the Information Center later this month, I think we can expect our red tape to decrease rapidly in the future. And I think the Quartermaster is talking about getting us new guns soon.

This is Captain Sunny, signing off
*End Recording*

LPer notes

I'm really sorry at how little content there actually is this update but. There's only so many times I can try and make a story out of fighting 2 of the absolute weakest members of each cult. I've been doing nothing for the past in-game month and a half but mow those losers down. Worry not, as we research into the cults and start fighting them in earnest things will get much spicier.

That mission with the reaper was my luck going back and forth between good and bad. I fully expected to die, because a reaper killed 2 of my men in a practice file, but it went down somehow. If I could find and kill the other monster (which was probably also a reaper) I would have two alien corpses before we even start fighting the aliens in earnest. But due to a tide of bad luck that wasn’t happening.

Those ice flow/tundra maps like to have bodies of water in them that we can not pass, and neither can the enemy. So what I think happened is that the second reaper was separated from us by bodies of water and hidden by the dark. If I had more flares maybe I could have found it but... bleh

The end result is I got 40 points, the soldiers got EXP, and the reaper's corpse was left in the tundra. If it was a small enemy I would have picked it up and dragged it back to the car but, it’s a 2x2 so I couldn’t do that

Gameplay Corner

Let’s talk about weapon statistics, using the Colt as reference material. The first page on any weapon shows us it’s weight, the power and damage type of it’s ammo, the accuracy of its attack types, and how many Time Units it takes to use them. One thing to note, damage varies from 0% to 200%, so the Colt's damage goes from 0-60. However, there are other weapon statistics that aren’t shown on the first page, that’s what the info button is for. And if you click that…

It reveals a bunch of other stuff. Namely, range, how much accuracy drops per tile over your max, how large of an accuracy bonus kneeling gives you, if it can be used one-handed, how much of a penalty there is for using it one-handed if it has a CQC penalty, and some miscellaneous stuff like it’s price and if it qualifies as concealable, human tech, a pistol, and so on. Most of this stuff can be identified mostly by the weapon’s class. As a pistol, the Colt has a middling range but accuracy drops slowly for each tile above max instead of suddenly dropping. It can be used one-handed with no penalty, and kneeling doesn’t increase its accuracy very much

Speaking of weapon classes let’s talk about pistols. Pistols are always going to be useful because they can be used one-handed, can fit in the quickdraw slot, and some of them are small enough to fit into whatever slot you want, like the Snubnose pistol. They have middle-of-the-road range, accuracy, and power, but can be fired quickly and relatively accurately at short to mid-range. I always give someone a pistol as a sidearm, because if they miss a shot with their primary weapon or run low on ammo and still have enemies to fight, they may still have enough TUs to quickdraw their pistol and fire again. Pistols are also good CQC weaponry since they don’t give you a penalty in a gun struggle.

I guess I should explain CQC as well. Basically, if you fire a gun in melee range the two combatants roll the dice using their melee stats to see if the shooter can fire without the defender redirecting the gun's barrel in a random direction. On one hand earlier we saw Sam win a CQC match and shoot her opponent. On the other hand fear of this is what got Achmed killed. I could have tried to shoot the enemy point blank but I was terrified he would lose the CQC and be at the enemy’s mercy. But by walking away I triggered a retaliation anyways...

Now on the subject of interceptors and soldier carriers, we have the Public Car. The Public Car is what we start the game with and it’s fast, affordable, and can reach any corner of the earth. It can only carry two soldiers which is pretty sad, but the other benefits are pretty great. Also as a normal vehicle, it can be used for undercover missions. The only other vehicle we possess right now is… not so good

The mudranger can carry a full squadron of soldiers into battle. That is its only benefit. Outside of that, it’s slow, it has an extremely low max range, and it’s expensive. “But we’re in Europe,” you think “surely there’s plenty of missions in range since we’re basically in the Church of Dagon and Red Dawn’s backyard.” You would think that but sadly for us… This is the max range of the Mudranger. I sent this Mudranger as far as it could go, and once it had to return to base I immediately took a screenshot

Pathetic

540 max range? It's been a while but that isn't even enough to cover anything that a vanilla small radar would detect is it.

RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:19 am
540 max range? It's been a while but that isn't even enough to cover anything that a vanilla small radar would detect is it.
No that is in fact, much, much smaller than the maximum range of a normal small radar. In fact it's such a short range that even if you did have a Mudranger and a base set up right in a Cult's territory you would be rolling the dice to see if the missions spawn close enough for you to do anything or not.

As such, no one uses the Mudranger

File 4: Growing Larger
Sunny’s Log: 1st of March to April 1st
The first thing we got started on in March was medical research, something the Medical Officer has been demanding the commander do since X-COM was formed. We’ll most likely be able to get all the paperwork done before the Information Center goes online but it isn’t going to be quick.

For our missions this month, we had a mix of important and routine missions, I’ve decided that the routine missions will be skipped over, I’ll just tell you there was a mission and what kind. And we’ll move on.

As such, the first two cases this month were suspect investigations and neither one turned up anything particularly interesting. But after that we had a Strange creature, case and that one was interesting. And dangerous

Sunny: I see lots of movement all over town already. They’re… Spiders?

The Lone Badger: That’s a huge spider! Looks big enough to eat a dog. Have they just taken over the town?
Sunny: There’s enough of them that they might have.

The Lone Badger: Alright I got one! Just took 3 bullets… We’re not going to be able to get them all are we Sunny.
Sunny:.. If any of them get too close we just jump back into the car.
We stood by the car for a bit, shooting any spiders that were close enough for our shots to land. We managed to kill a few of them but…

The Lone Badger: This one is even tougher than the others! My bullets keep bouncing off!
Sunny: It’s too close Badger. We should leave while we still can.

I was a little dejected after this loss. We managed to get run out of town by spiders of all things. But the commander praised my decision. Told me that our survival was more important than solving every single case. It made me feel better. Although I didn’t know at the time that our very next mission would go much of the same way

Dak Thornson:That’s a lot of scorpions!
Nick Danger: There’s too many of them, it’s dark out here and they have black shells. We should get the heck out of here!
Dak Thornson: The next time I see a scorpion it’s going down!

At the very least this case took out in the desert mostly away from people. No one died or went missing, though it’s a shame we failed to kill them all

It was around this time that the Medical Officer completed her early project and got us access to some better medicine. She also seemed oddly… I don’t know how to put it… She sounded a bit mad scienc-y to me. Talking about making us agents above normal men… Though I can’t lie being a bit stronger would be a big help dealing with all these monsters.

This was a crop circle mission and we found something interesting. For lack of a better term we’ve named these creatures zombies. They’re… well they seem to be creatures with no sense of self preservation who angrily charge towards any human they sense and attempt to… turn them?

We’re currently taking bets on if it’s a parasite, fungus, disease, or something else. We don’t know what is causing this to happen but we know roughly what it does to people.

The next mission brought us back to an old enemy of ours

Dak Thornson: Oh so you’ve come back for a rematch have you? Last time we had to flee with our tails between our legs because we couldn’t find your buddy. But this time, you’re coming with us!

Luckily the “Reaper” is too big to walk on the thinner chunks of ice. As long as our agents stayed on the other side of the ice there was no way for the reaper to reach them. Dak and Nick Danger just stayed out of reach and peppered it with plenty of bullets. When he found the second one he did the same. One died, but the other just passed out, and when our clean up crew came in they managed to save it. We have a live reaper awaiting study.

The next mission Dak went on didn’t go so well. It was a horde of Mongorns in the north. There were too many of them and he only managed to kill one before the two of them had to flee. I’m sad to say the same happened to me on our next mission, but this time it was against a creature we’ve designated as a “Shambler”

All we know is that’s it’s a big, shaggy white creature, the kind of think people might call a Yeti. To counteract all that bad news though, we have some good news. The Medical Officer got us some new stuff, Healing Spray

It’s good for patching yourself up, all out other medkits only work if someone else is working on you. We have to buy it unfortunately, but it can be very useful.

The next mission was another one of Dak and Nick’s. And they found something special again

Dak Thornson: It looks like some kinda… human like creature?
Nick Danger: It’s not human obviously but it walks like one? Oh crap it’s fast!
The Werecat, as we designated it later, managed to run Nick’s side of the car and give him a nasty slash wound, but before it could attack again

Dak Thornson: Got em! Are you alright?
Nick Danger: I’ll be fine. Danger’s my middle name after all.
Dak Thornson: Thought it was your last name…
There was another Werecat on sight, but it was far away enough that they took it down from long range. The Werecat is awaiting study

The next mission was mine and Badger’s. It was a long one but to summarize

There were a metric fuckton of scorpions in this desert. And it took every clip of ammo we had. But Badger and I managed to clear them.

(This mission took about 15 IRL minutes by the way)

ALL OF THEM

When we came back home everyone was clapping us on the back and offering to buy us drinks. Commander even had a little ceremony where he gave us both some medals. It was nice.

After that we had some more routine missions, but on the 29th we finished getting together all the stuff we needed for a Bio Lab and got started on constructing that.

The funding nations were praising us and giving us a big boost in funding. By this point we were proving that we were effective, and with our Intelligence Center finished and our Bio Lab in the works the commander announced we were getting ready for a… promotion of sorts. The Commader told us all to take April 1st off and celebrate.

Technically this happened a day later, but the Quartermaster pulled us aside while we were still celebrating and told us the good news. Starting now we’ll be able to get all those weapons we couldn’t before. Magnums, Shotguns, and other weapons that our higher ups were initially resistant to allowing us to access

Personally I’ve got my eyes on a magnum, but I’m sure our shotgun lovers are looking forward to getting a larger, more powerful one. And I’m sure some pyromaniac out there is excited about the flamer.

Even though the agents have time off our support staff is going all out to make sure we can get our hands on what we need, and starting to dig into some of the mysteries we haven’t been able to get at yet, since we’ve been so busy shoring up our capabilities first. So far April is shaping up to be a good month

This is Captain Sunny, Signing off.
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes:)

This could have gone a lot worse. Honestly this month everything was coming up Aces and it felt great. It helps that we’re a bit ahead of the curve when it comes to research. Now that we’ve got a bunch of the basics down we can start researching into the new cool stuff. Flamers, Magnums, and other flavors of cool new weapons that are better than our old ones

Also that mission with the scorpions in the desert. Holy crap that took forever. That’s the second-biggest mission I’ve ever done in this game. And surprisingly, it made me reconsider my stance on the Glock. True, the Glock doesn’t hit as hard as other pistols and its accuracy and range are a little lower. But in this instance, in close-range combat with enemies with low HP, the Glock was king. Plus its large clips made it easier to keep firing. I ran out of shots with my Colt after like, 8 scorpions but I still had two Glock clips left at the end of the fight.

Also, I got to pull off some neat tricks. The square that your first agent starts in has all your leftover equipment in it, so whenever Sunny’s partner ran out of ammo I would scoop up a clip and toss it to him. In terms of TUs it’s less efficient than just having a bunch already on your person. But in a pinch, it can be very helpful

Also now that we’ve almost finished all the early game tier 1 tech. We’re working our way toward the good stuff now.

Gameplay Corner

Medals and awards are something you might have seen a few times by now, and they’re a nice addition to Files. Dak is currently the most medal bedazzled member of our crew. Basically, you can increase your soldiers stats beyond the norm by completing certain objectives with them. The best way I can think to split them up is this, there are 3 kinds of medals. Personal, weapon, and mission medals.

Personal medals are accolades given on a per-agent basis for personal achievements. For example, Elite is given when an agent’s stats go up by a certain degree, while Stone Cold Killer requires killing two enemies in one turn and Battle-Scarred requires taking a lot of damage in a mission and surviving.

What exactly these medals give you varies quite a bit, but they mostly target an agent’s core stats like health, TU, and Stamina.

Weapon medals a subcategory of personal medals focused around racking up a certain number of kills with a particular class of weapon. Gunslinger for pistols, sniper for long rifles, shotgun surgeon for shotguns, you get the picture.

These medals always increase the accuracy stat related to the weapon as well as two other stats related to the weapon in question. For example, Shotgun Surgeon raises firing accuracy, reactions, and TUs since someone with a shotgun needs to get in close, and may need a snap reaction at that range.

Mission medals are given to every agent on the mission provided the conditions are met. Survivor and Cavalier are two mission medals, diametrically opposed ones even. There’s also a medal for completing undercover work, and a medal for doing missions at night which grants night vision.

There isn’t really a way to try to earn mission medals. You just play as well as you can and either get them or you don’t.

Overall I like this system a lot, it encourages you to build agents to their strengths and earn bonuses to make them better and better at their chosen role. It also makes rookies even worse by comparison

File 5: Our First Safehouse Assaults

*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: April 1st to May 1st
This month got started on a bang, with our Information Center finished and our Bio Lab under construction, the team was hard at work with multiple projects, among them was acquiring us some new gear, and finally getting around to interrogating those farmers found in the crop circle investigations

My personal favorite of the new weapons was actually the Magnum. It’s a handgun like any other but it has a strong kick, enough to put down even tough opponents in one go. After meeting some of the stronger and thicker-skinned animals, I agree we needed this

Then there’s the classic pump action shotgun, with options for beanbag rounds and armor-piercing shells. It took a while longer for us to actually get the weapons though because the Head Accountant demanded we be more… selective in what we purchase

(I'll confess I wasn't on top of my game. So you won't be seeing much of these for today's session.)

Our first mission this month was a standard crop circle investigation, no one got hurt at all which was kind of amazing. Badger ended up having to bullrush the farmer because he ran out of taser shots.

Also this was around the time we finished our first two farmer interrogations. And I’m sad to say they were… less than helpful

(Interrogated targets give you random rewards. The abducted farmers have a chance of giving you garbage, and a chance of giving you something very good.)

After that interrogation I heard the Medical officer and the commander talking about something… interesting

(This is another random interrogation reward. They give you some points, but are otherwise just amusing)

We have a new “disguise” for if we need to go undercover, athletes going for a training retreat.

It’s not a perfect disguise, but there are some surprisingly dangerous items that we can take with us as sporting gear. The Commander went out of his way to get us some… unorthodox equipment like sporting rifles and crossbows.

But after that, we got news of a new mission, one more dangerous than what we’ve done before. A Cult Safehouse

(I do believe that is a bitcrushed screenshot of EXALT from X-COM EU.)

Luckily the Accountant had just finished a project of hers, increasing the power of our logistics network. And uh… make sure you compliment her work okay guys? She’s really stressed right now and I think she needs the positivity

With this done we could grab ourselves a Van in any city around the world. The Van is the same as a car, we all have to go through normal airport security and everything, but it has advantages. Four of us can team up for one mission. That said moving 4 people is a lot slower than just 2.

So me, Ice Mole, Burnt Toast, and the Lone Badger all teamed up to go on this Cult Safehouse. This was our biggest mission against human enemies yet, and I think it could have been better, but we still did well. Sadly it took place at night, since the Van was slow we didn’t want to wait for day in case they scuttled the place and left.

(In case it wasn't clear, the green overlay is because I turned on nightvision mode for night missions. The bright areas are where the light is, the slightly dimmer areas are where the soldiers can see, and the very darkest places are where we haven't seen yet.)

Sunny: Alright I see 2 of them in the back hiding in the barn! I have a clear shot.
Ice Mole: Hold on! I want to try this.

Ice Mole: There we go! Hey Sunny, try and flank the guy in the barn. He looks more like a leader than this chump
Sunny: On it! Everyone else spread out and search for hidden enemies!

Sunny: I’ve got this guy stunned! What about you guys?
The Lone Badger: Found someone hidden in the orchard I’m taking him out!

Burnt Toast: There’s another one in the orchard! I got shot but the vest got the worst of it.
The Lone Badger: Sorry! I’ll get him next.

Burnt Toast: Figures the medic is the one who gets shot… Mind patching me up Mole?
Ice Mole: I got it. I just use these bandages here right?
Burnt Toast: -sigh- I’ll show you

(This is a good excuse to show the medical overlay. Stimulants stave off stun, and painkillers increase morale, "Heal" is used to remove fatal injuries, which reduce your stats and deal damage over time.)

After that initial struggle the worst of it was over. We had to poke around in the dark for other enemies, but the worst of it was already settled. Mission accomplished

After this we had some more normal missions, but we got something else interesting. The scientists managed to dissect the Asmodean Cobra from way back when

According to the Information Officer, once we compile comprehensive proof of all 4 cults and these abnormal creatures, X-COM might be due for a promotion which would get us better equipment. They’ve been holding off on that while we find our footing, but with our Info Center and Bio Lab now finished, we’re due for one

But while this was happening Sam and Nick were on an… interesting mission

Apparently someone found out something they shouldn’t have. The existence of monsters, the cults, signs of alien activity, we aren’t sure. And it broke them. They planned a terrorist attack to try and bring awareness to the situation. Nick and Sam were sent to stop them before they caused too much damage

They found the suspect outside of a basketball court waving a gun around. Sam took a few shots but the vest stopped the worst of it and they managed to capture him alive.

(These missions give you so much score oh my god)

It was a huge success and the commander got a direct line of communication with the Council to thank him for his good job. And the commander, clever bastard that he is, took this opportunity to deliver our Summary Report

Despite our evidence, the council had to “think about it” so the Commander expected a response in a few days, no earlier. While that happened though, The Medical Officer finished her examination of some of the Red Dawn members and their Bio Enhancements

It explains why the Red Dawn goons are so strong, luckily strength and toughness only go so far against bullets. It also opened an avenue for us to try our hand at enhancement… but we’re waiting on that. It’s a bit risky right now

This is all the response that the Council sent the commander after our request for a promotion, along with a set of documents they claim we are now “cleared for.” It may not seem like much, it opened up a lot of doors for us.

A lot of doors.

One of the final pieces of early planning that we are now mostly done with is our “cover” system. This one is pretty simple, if it’s by a large swimmable part of the ocean, pretend you’re a beachgoer. There’s not a lot of equipment that doesn’t look out of place on the beach but… we can make it work. I hope. I don’t like the idea of fighting in swim trunks though…

This is part of what was in those documents that the Council sent us. The Japanese equivalent of X-COM, Kiryu Kai. I can only hope that we keep a stronger front than they did. It also makes me worry. The invasion starts on January 1st, 1999...

The Info Specialist also looked into that alternate transit that we might be able to use, and due to our increased funding and promotion we got our hands on these babies

I know it’s just a different kind of car, but it’s much faster, much more stylish, and involves less investigation by the customs officers. It’s awesome.

This is what the maniac we stopped from performing a terrorist attack ended up telling us about. The Red Dawn Storm trade. Something we haven’t yet encountered in our investigation of Red Dawn. Very interesting…

He also had this and… I don’t know what this means

As we got close to the end of the month we had another general strategy meeting. Now that we have some more authority it’s time to really stick it to our enemies, but on top of that we need to grow. The Info Officer suggested that we try and find things that certain specialists would find interesting to entice them into joining us.

Also, we’re starting to hit the limits of what we can do using public transit and personal vehicles like cars, so she suggests that we look into getting flight training for all the agents, so we can get our hands on larger craft like helicopters.

There was also an investigation that led us to a Black Lotus base in the desert but uh… We won that fight easily. The terrain favored us to a hilarious degree and the man dressed in black like a Ninja kinda stood out against the tan sand.

(You will learn to freeze in terror when facing any Black Lotus goons in this outfit. Luckily, this is the lowest rank of Black Lotus specialist)

They didn’t manage to capture the ninja, but they did find someone else who wasn’t dressed like the others, he had a wide hat and was wearing actual armor and wielding a shotgun better than the other Black Lotus members. We assumed he was a higher rank and Dak captured him

I would say that now that we have an Information Center, Bio Lab, and enough workers for both to keep up with research and increase our gear, we’re doing wonderfully. And I hope we can keep that forward momentum going as we try harder and harder to get rid of all these cults.

We got another raise to go along with our promotion. We can’t grow too quickly, we’re only actually making about 500 thousand right now, setting our income against our maintenance. So the Commander doesn’t seem like he’s going to be building us a large living quarter or a second gym anytime soon.

This is Captain Sunny, Singing Off
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)

So, as you may have noticed, we have moved up in the world! With every promotion, X-COM gains access to a higher “tier” of goods from what normal human tech has to offer. Going forward expect to get much better weapons, rifles, and other so on. Technically I could have unlocked this earlier if I had an autopsy done of any of our weird mutant creatures but, I needed to get the basics done first.

Also, since we have done our first research into every cult, they have now started to spawn “Cult Safehouse” missions. Cult Safehouse missions are going to be our bread and butter going forward because they always have at least one member of a higher rank in the safe house. We now have a Rank 2 EXALT and Rank 2 Black Lotus member in our interrogation chambers, and could interrogate them in order to open up the next stage of their cult missions.

In essence, every time you research a primary piece of info about one of the cults, you make them just a little bit angrier at you, and you get just a little bit closer to them allowing you to access more dangerous and rewarding missions. It’s entirely possible to be doing HQ attacks on one cult when another hasn’t even progressed past the Safehouse stage because you haven’t looked into them too hard.

I do want to do Dagon first since that’s what we voted on but uh. If one of their higher-stage guys doesn’t show up too soon I’ll have to investigate Black Lotus and EXALT. Especially since one of our new support team recruits only comes after we have done stage 2 research into these four cults.

Gameplay Corner
I think I’ve hit all of the major points, so unless anyone has any questions, I’ll go directly to the armory.

The Magnum is one of my favorite handguns, and you should be able to tell why. 38 damage is a lot, especially from a gun you can use one handed, and it’s pretty deadly. It still has many of the advantages and weaknesses of normal handguns, but it’s got a stronger kick and a smaller clip.

The Agricultural Flamer doesn’t deal that much direct damage, but as a flamethrower it can be used to destroy terrain, set people on fire, and set terrain on fire to deter melee enemies. It’s not the best weapon for actually killing your enemies, but it has uses. It’s also a bit heavy so using it limits what else an agent can carry.

This is the real good stuff. This shotgun has much longer range than the short shotgun, I believe it’s accuracy starts dropping after the 12th tile when using an aimed shot. That’s not exceptionally good range, but it’s way, way better than any shotgun we’ve had up to this point. On top of that it has two alternate ammo types. Armor piercing shells only fire 1 pellet, making them weaker than most shotgun shells. However, that one pellet hits extremely hard, making it easier to break through armor. The Baton rounds are objectively worse in every way, but are a stun weapon.

The Van is our first real upgrade in Agent capacity considering that the Mudranger is awful. In exchange for reducing our speed by about half the Van allows us to take 4 agents into battle instead of 2, and it has basically infinite range and fuel. If I wanted I could park a van in America and wait for an EXALT mission to spawn. There will be other, better vehicles but. This one is a good start.

File 6: Our Enemies Step Up
*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: May 1st to June 1st.

This month was a little rough, it’s becoming clear that there are more powerful and dangerous enemies out there we need to be careful of. We can’t afford to sit on our laurels and think we’re strong enough for them. The first example of this was the encounter Koorish had with a beast we’re titled an Owlman.

I don’t even know what to say about these mutants anymore. They clearly aren’t natural but I don’t understand what they are and how they exist. Koorisch was lucky enough to take it in alive, although it tried to give him a nasty slash with its talons too

There were a lot of miscellaneous research projects going on at this time. Mostly weapon tests and researching stable supplies of more of them. However, we also interrogated one of the higher rank members of Black Lotus. He was awfully resistant, but we managed to get a basic outline of Black Lotus’s network

This had nothing to do with us, but it was good for us in a way. Someone with an alien device got caught trying to do… something in an important UN building with an alien device. This is clear-cut proof that what we’re doing is important, and has gotten us some additional support

This is one of the additional weapons that the staff can get their hands on now. Flashbang Grenades. They aren’t perfect obviously, a downed opponent is better than one which is staggered, but they can be very useful for making hard targets more vulnerable and less deadly

(This was partly bad luck, and partly me playing sloppily. I haven’t been keeping on top of everyone’s equipment, hence Cato needing to get close with a small shotgun)

On one of our routine cult apprehensions, something horrible happened. Instead of the usual 2 Red Dawn members we expected there were 5 of them who ambushed the car. I’Cato Sicarius got shot in the side and bled out a minute later.

The fact that Koorisch made it out is a sign of his skills, but he didn’t seem proud of himself at all. After this we all resolved to be more careful, and try to bring everyone home alive if we can.

The Info Officer finally finished one of her projects, setting up flying training courses for the agents. And since a couple of us are now licensed to pilot, we can get our hands on proper helicopters, just small ones for now

(I think Koorisch is cursed/blessed because he keeps coming out unscathed and his partner comes out shot to hell)

The next mission Koorisch went on tried to end the same way as the other one, with his partner being shot by many members of Red Dawn. But this time his partner Drakenel made it out alive, just barely

(this was just plain luck. Drakenel got shot in the side 3 times with an SMG and survived with one HP.)

After this was one of the biggest missions we’ve ever taken. The police had caught wind of a monster next and were trying to take it out. Dak just got his helicopter license and flew out there with 5 others. Dak Thornson, Hound Smith, Ice Mole, Burnt Toast, Nick Danger, and the Lone Badger were on this team

Hound Smith: There are spiders all over the damn place! One right in front of us too. Let’s see how this new shotgun handles

Hound Smith: I’m satisfied. That said there’s an even gianter giant spider over here so I could use some help
Ice Mole: This hunting rifle is made to deal with big game. So if I can line this up right...

Ice Mole: I got it in one shot!
Burnt Toast: Hang on this was supposed to be a group venture with the police right? Where are they?

(The police started 20 tiles away from us, huddled in a circle and surrounded by spiders. No amount of strategy was going to save them. It was up to lady luck and RNGesus.)

Burnt Toast: … They’re gonna die aren’t they.
Dak Thornson: It’s highly likely yes

This prediction turned out to be true to a startling degree. Several of the Police Officers missed their shots, one even shot his own friend in a panic. And the giant spiders continued to rampage. We discovered that some of them have… unusual abilities

Burnt Toast: That red spider just spat a bunch of napalm all over the police!
Nick Danger: Is it wrong of me that I’m glad that the police are on the receiving end of this instead of us?
Dak Thornson: It’s a little selfish of you but honestly? Me too.

Hound Smith: I feel bad for these guys. No one deserves to be set on fire by a giant arachnid.
Ice Mole: I wonder how they got surrounded like that? I mean once we cleared out the spiders around them no one has gotten hurt since
Dak Thornson: Well, they’re not trained for this while we are and they didn't know what they were getting into. Also honestly, I am grateful for their help.

(Honestly our allies did a pretty good job killing the spiders. I wish they didn’t, you know. Die in droves to achieve it though)

Dak Thornson: What a fucking massacre…

The next Mission saw Koorisch and Mac facing an old friend of ours

Koorisch: Every time we’ve fought these things before we’ve had to run. Not this time. Mac! Back me up!
Mac: Got it!

They killed the one out in the open pretty easily. But as soon as they turned back around

Koorisch: Crap we drove right into a colony of them… They can only hurt us if they get too close. Pick a target and open fire!

With a hail of bullets they managed to destroy the Mongorns that came into view, but one of them managed to make it around the hill and…

Mac: I’m the one with the shotgun! Take a step back I’ll handle it!

And so he did

Koorisch: Hey Mac?
Mac: Yeah?
Koorisch: I’ll see the commander about getting you a promotion.

As if to balance out the defeat of one of our long-time enemies, the Church of Dagon had to step in and shove us back. For some reason, despite our best efforts, the Church of Dagon has been evading our grasp. We haven’t even met anyone higher on the food chain than their lowest-tier soldiers.

I know we haven’t actually deployed any dogs yet but Gasopode the Wonder Dog and Velvet are currently in training, and we picked up some combat armor for them. I’m slightly skeptical about their performance but… We’ll see.

The accountant had some very illuminating comments to make about our budget. Particularly the 2000-dollar mag lights. So… we went behind the council’s back and got our hands on some dollar store flashlights. They’re weaker but like, way cheaper.

We also looked into one of our mutants, as carefully as we could. The Werecat is a fusion of human and animal DNA which is, clearly not natural but we have no understanding of why it was made and by who.

The next mission that came up was… a bit of a problem. A huge problem. We sent the same crew used for the Giant Spider mission. Zombies aren’t very smart and they don’t have any self-preservation instincts but there were a lot of them and they singlemindedly charged the helicopter.

(This is the kind of situation spray and pray weapons excel at. Dak managed to hit all but one of these zombies once with his SMG)

Dak Thornson: They’re trying to swarm us! Focus on the enemy closest to you!

Nick Danger: I can keep this one off us with a little firewall. Everyone stand clear!

(This Zombie somehow survived being shot like, 6 times in this turn despite being on fire. I just barely managed to kill it)

Nick Danger: IT’S ON FIRE HOW IS IT ALIVE?
Hound Smith: I’ll take care of it!

In the end the zombies went down easily enough due to their mindless charging, but they were dangerous for their durability and sheer number.

The Helicoper crew also went to bust up an EXALT base, and that one went cleanly enough since they managed to sneak up on the base and do this

Badger managed to gun two of them down with auto fire before Dak swapped in and killed most of the rest. It was easily cleaned up from there and we managed to catch an EXALT Goon (which is a surprisingly higher rank than EXALT Infiltrator)

From the info we got from the Back Lotus Footman we managed to put together some more info on Black Lotus and their plans. With this info we may be able to attack targets higher on the totem pole.

And then… I had a weird dream. I had a dream that the Helicopter was used to assault an EXALT base, but this time it was at night. I wasn’t there but for some reason, I could see our team there getting methodically picked apart by EXALT

That morning the commander announced that one of our missions had been passed onto the Council salvagers. An EXALT safehouse in America. It’s… just a coincidence, right?

(This was entirely my mistake. I sent the helicopter to deal with it without thinking about travel time making it a night mission. Night missions suck. I did us all a favor and rewound time.)

Someone new arrived on base today, a Xenologist. We sent him information about the Werecat from before and he announced that he would arrive as soon as he settled his business. He seems very, very interested in any info on mutants we can get him. He practically flew into the animal pen to see the Owlman and Werecat.

We also finally pieced together what info we could about EXALT from the people we interrogated. Just like with Black Lotus, this info will make us more dangerous to them, and let us target higher-ranking members of their group

This month didn’t go as badly as it could have gone but it did make some things clear. We can’t afford to be complacent. We need to step up and be stronger if we’re going to defeat the mutants, or the cults.

This is Captain Sunny, Signing Off.

(LPer Notes)

I’ll be honest. I didn’t expect the game to suddenly ramp up, but I should have. Much like in normal X-COM games, the enemy gradually increases in difficulty as time passes. Specifically, missions are replaced by more imposing versions of those missions as time goes on. As you can see, now our Suspect missions have a chance of spawning way more gang members than before. The other way that missions become more difficult, is with Arc Progress. Or as I like to call it, pissing off the enemy.

For example, I have researched the EXALT and Black Lotus networks. By doing so, I have angered both of them, and given us a higher chance of seeing more dangerous and rewarding variants of their missions. That means theoretically I could delay researching the others networks to delay angering them and being forced to do the hardest missions they have to offer.

I will not be doing that, because if I get all 4 networks down I can recruit the military envoy, who’s going to give us some good stuff, and will help unlock our next promotion.

Speaking of, I guess I should tell you. The prerequisite for the first promotion was to have researched the 4 cults and dissected a strange creature. The prerequisite for this one is to acquire four more staff members. We already have the Xenologist, whose prerequisite is having captured and studied a strange creature. You know about the Military Envoy, who requires researching the networks for the 4 cults. The two we have left are the Chief Engineer and Chief Researcher

The Chief Engineer requires a cool alien gadget. Luckily for us, the Psiclone that EXALT uses counts for us. So does a handful of other tools that the higher-tier cults use, so we don’t have to go find an alien thank god. The Chief Researcher requires studying an alien fuel trace (what we’ve been gathering from our various crop circle missions) and research into mutant physiology (which once again requires a live mutant)

After we’ve done these things we can recruit the characters in question, who unlock various other things including our next promotion.

There won’t be an armory section this time because I neglected to grab pictures of the AK-47 and the Hunting rifle. Sorry, I'll get those next time I sit down to record

File 7: Dogs Are Scary
*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: June 1st to July 1st

Our month started with an intercepted message from EXALT. Now that we’ve cracked their network we can intercept a number of their messages, although this is the first one that takes place on a global level

EXALT knows that we exist, and seems to be worried about our increasing power and the fact that we can draw a bead on them. This is good news, the fact that they’re worried tells us that we are an appreciable threat to them. But on the other hand they are taking steps to oppose us and increase their security. We should tread carefully...

(This is just me feeling proud of my quick thinking. Ducking behind this wall may have saved Sam’s life. Also confirming that Sam was still doing good.)

Going along with the cracked EXALT network, we found one of their safe houses in America.

We loaded up the Helicopter with 5 agents, and a trained attack dog. I’m… not sure how I felt about the dog. My position would be solidified in another mission the dog went on.

Hound Smith: I see someone in the tower up top. Anyone got a bead on em?
Jane Kane: Let’s see how this old AK works…

Jane Kane: Pretty well as it turns out!

Gosopode: Grrr!
Burnt Toast: Looks like we can just split up. I’ve got some enemies on this side, you’ve got some on that side

Ice Mole: HEY!

Ice Mole: DON’T SHOOT OUR FUCKING DOG!
Burnt Toast: More of these guys keep pouring out from the back of the safe house!

Hound Smith: Woah! Goso is pretty vicious when they want to be
Chaos Dragon: Hey Hound? Commander’s gonna be mad if we don’t bring home any prisoners
Hound Smith: Right... Let’s try these baton shells for the shotgun

Hound Smith: Nice!

The rest of the mission was just clean up, but this one was a boon for us. 5 cases stuffed full of American Money, 4 ammo boxes, and a “Psiclone” device. Psiclone is EXALT’s premiere item, so having some to examine is a very big boon

(This isn’t important I just wanted to share that the Public Car is still cursed to where the less experienced Agent seem incredibly likely to almost die)

This is a pretty important breakthrough for us, an examination of the mutant’s physiology. A full understanding is a little beyond us but… well read the report. Bioengineering, some kind of energetic blood particles that aren’t natural, and if we get our hands on an expert we may be able to use this for medical purposes

I managed to score a spot on the next mission we went on, to a Red Dawn hideout we managed to track down. The Helicoptor team was the same, but with me replacing Burnt Toast who was still in the med bay.

Chaos Dragon: It’s just a little fenced-in compound, I don’t think anyone is outside yet.
Sunny: Alright, everyone get in position! If we hurry we’ll be able to catch them as they exit the compound.

(This is safer than it looks, since the fence has a pretty high chance of blocking at least a few bullets)

Hound Smith: Or we could shoot through the window!

Ice Mole: Gosopode is outside the door. If anyone comes out, maul them!
Gosopode: -Bark Bark!-

Hound Smith: This idiot just shot one of his friends in the back! And this fence is blocking half his shots!

Jane Kane: I got ambushed… Guy with a knife…
Chaos Dragon: Just run back here! I have a Med Kit!
I didn’t see what happened next, but I could hear Gosopode snarling and growling from the other side of the building.

And the Screams.

Jane Kane: Holy shit

Hound Smith: This looks like a commander type. Let me swap out to the Baton Rounds
Sunny: If you hold on a sec I’ll come over there with my taser too

(I’m not kidding when I say this fence is the best body armor I could have asked for. It blocked about a dozen bullets across this exchange. However, it’s now time to see the downside)

Sunny: I can’t get a clear shot the fence and the wall are in the way!
Hound Smith: Well I can’t get a clear shot because you’re in the way!
Ice Mole: Well I have a clear shot despite all of those things!

(This was reaction fire. Ice Mole just, took the decision out of my hands. Luckily the enemy survived to be captured)

This mission was another huge success to start the month off with. We captured a Red dawn Lad, and Red dawn Pioneer. Each one of a higher rank than the normal Gangers. Ironically the soldier with the highest medal count this mission was Gosopode. Although he definitely deserved it

(I swear to god that this art is stolen from Ninja Gaiden or something)

After this things calmed down a lot, on the mission front at least. Research wise we were getting things done in rapid succession, starting with Psiclone.

We don’t know if the visions or hallucinations granted by Psiclone are genuinely psychic in nature or not, but what we do know is that it serves a dual purpose as the drug that keeps EXALT’s coffers full, and a training method. The higher rank members of EXALT apparently use them as some sort of training tool. The Intelligence officer was happy to have this by the way, because one of our potential recruits can be lured in by the promise of strange gadgets.

Psiclone apparently qualifies

We also finally researched the “alien fuel traces” sometimes left behind at various locations but. Well. It’s hard to say what it is. It seems to contain a lot of energy and could be used as fuel but not in a conventional way. The only way we've found to use these traces is in flares. But this is another important piece of research, because this is what the intelligence officer needed to lure in our new chief researcher

I don’t know what to say about this. Especially considering that the items we received are a Giant Wolf Corpse (Apparently we’re calling them Fenris Wolf now) and a dozen bloodbags of that chemical we recovered from the dead mutants. The secret to immortality huh? The Medical Officer refuses to do human testing, but she seems to think we can do something with this... "energetic blood plasma"

There were two missions that occurred after this but neither one was particularly interesting. The Helicoptor Crew cleared out a giant spider infestation in a city, and Sam and Koorisch cleared out a giant scorpion infestation in the desert.

These are the two higher rank members of Red Dawn we brought back from that base. The Lad and Pioneer, Lads are just basic footsoldiers while Pioneers are working to become officers. Both of them showcase the usual signs of Red Dawn enhancement, but the Pioneers do show higher degrees of enhancement, making them stronger and tougher than normal humans. After this, we have a decent idea of at least some of their history

It seems odd to me. The idea of just… rolling over to a superior force, even helping them and expecting to get rewarded for it. Has humanity really been so bad to them that they think aliens are a better pick for a master? Or is this a selfish power grab and they hope by backstabbing the rest of us they’ll get first pick of alien loot? Hard to say.

After this we started researching their networks

The Van finally got some use again because an event took place right near us in Europe. Dak Thronson, Burnt Toast (out of the hospital) Nick Danger and the Lone Badger investigated a monster sighting and found this.

They got lucky and managed to hit it with multiple tasers and a Baton shell to take it alive. As far as we can tell this is a living version of the giant wolf corpse the Salvagers brought us. And it’s startling how similar they look despite being found a continent apart. Maybe the bioengineering theory holds more weight than I thought.

Red Dawn is in a strange position as far as we can tell. It has this spider-like web of connections it can call on in both high and low places. They’re just as well at home asking military officials to “lose” a few rifles and asking a local construction crew to keep quiet on their new safe house. We can hopefully put the squeeze on them but it’s not going to be easy

The rest of the missions this month were pretty minor. For some reason, we just, can not catch a higher-ranking member of the church of Dagon despite our best efforts. And we had another encounter with Fenris Wolves, but this time there were two of them. Luckily they were far away enough to be killed with hunting rifles from range.

The Chief Researcher finished his business and came by. He seemed unaware of the fact that we’re currently a very small organization with a… decent but not huge budget. But he was excited and ready to go to work, immediately joining the Medical Officer to see about the mutants.

The Chief Engineer seemed really excitable, maybe a little childish? But he immediately went to work designing a workshop to his specifications. The Quartermaster showed him his personal workspace and they seemed to hit it off a bit, though they seemed to share a despairing view about their lack of work space.

(Another one of my “Abducted Farmer” interrogations failed and I got this report. Just uh. Wanted to share. These don't do anything but be funny and give you like, 20 points or so.)

The current state of the X-COM project is doing very well. Though I’m worried about how slippery the Church of Dagon is proving, and that our equipment seems to have hit a plateau for now. Apparently our final officer recruit, a Military Envoy has a personal vendetta against the Church of Dagon and won’t join us until we have info on them. Our next promotion is essentially gated behind recruiting him and therefore gaining insight into the Church of Dagon

Hopefully, we can make some progress on that front, in the meantime though research continues as it always does. I look forward to the results

This is Captain Sunny, signing off
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)

The Church of Dagon continues to evade us, but otherwise, we are doing very well I’d say. No one has died recently, our squads are getting larger and more skilled, and our budget is going up. It’s probably time to expand our base soon but I confess I’m a little hesitant to do so. Last time I expanded too fast and lost money.

Also, I noticed that for some reason we seem to have not gotten the message from Black Lotus designating that we’ve researched their network and become a problem for them. I wonder if it’s a glitch? Or perhaps the messages have to be shown one by one, and EXALT came first? Who knows.
I've still got some college to go so my next post will probably be next week.

Gameplay Corner

Gasopode is off to a thrilling career start, and I guess I should do everyone a favor and talk about Dogs. Dogs, as you might imagine are different from other agents. Their weapons are locked in place, they can only ever bark, bite, and have a special ability that works the same way as the base game’s motion detector. Dogs in combat armor can hold items in their inventory, but they can’t use them. They also have slightly different base stats and stat caps.

Dogs have lower health than human agents, but much higher TUs, Stamina, Reactions, and high base Melee Accuracy. In essence, they’re glass cannons with low HP but high speed and strong attacks.

To put this damage ratio into perspective, 40 Cutting damage is about the same amount of damage as a decently powerful melee weapon, although the accuracy modifier is much higher than most melee weapons. On top of the bite requires a very low amount of TUs. As Gosopode has demonstrated for us, a dog can easily kill cultists in a single bite, and at close range can even kill multiple in one go. However, another feature of the Dog is a defensive ability

The bark may seem useless. It doesn’t deal HP damage, has a short range, it doesn’t seem very good. However, it’s actually very powerful, because the bark does Time Unit and Morale damage. If someone tries to attack a dog from the front in close range, the dog will reaction fire to bark at them.

It’s surprisingly easy to completely drain an enemy of time units or morale, preventing them from launching an attack. That said I… don’t think it does anything on the player phase unless you’re trying to prevent the enemy from using reaction fire. It’s better that you save some of your TUs for reaction fire.

Overall Dogs are pretty good, but hard to use. Getting to attack an enemy in close range is easier or harder depending on the map. Places with lots of fences and walls to hide behind are great for dogs, wide open fields are kinda terrible because they’ll have an easy time getting shot. With all that said, I think I’m going to try and make Gosopode a mainstay of our Helicopter team

Now on the subject of actual weapons… The Hunting Rifle

The Hunting Rifle is pretty awesome. It’s a long-range sniper rifle-type weapon that fires a single, high-power bullet. It’s pretty inaccurate if you’re using a snapshot, but if you use an aimed shot its accuracy is top-of-the-line. As you might expect, its range is also exceptional. There will be much better long-range weapons later, but for now, this is a nice reliable one.

(We technically also have an AK47 but it's almost identical to the AKM with a minor accuracy loss)

This is a classic weapon, which can be used for long-range aimed shots, close-range snapshots, and when the enemy is clustered together, auto fire. Its power is middle of the line, its clip size is very large, and its accuracy is middling across all the shot types, though none of them are abysmal. I consider most assault rifle-type weapons to be a jack of all trades. If you need a filler weapon it’s great, but you could do much better with a weapon that suits the situation.

The Uzi is exactly what you think it is. It's a SMG that trades accuracy, range, and power in exchange for firing a lot, and I mean A LOT of bullets. I don't particularly like SMGs as primary weapons since I find the low range and accuracy isn't really worth it most of the time. However, when you're engaging multiple enemies in close range an SMG can be even better than a shotgun

I don’t think I’ve mentioned these yet but, Smoke Grenades are something we’ve had access to for a little while. Smoke Grenades I think deal a minuscule amount of stun damage for standing in the smoke but are otherwise harmless. Smoke grenades can provide concealment from the enemy, allowing you to stay out of sight. There are going to be missions where we cover the entire starting area in a smoke veil before we even step off the craft.

Your vision range is reduced for each tile of smoke you look through, so the more smoke in between you and an enemy the harder it is to see them. No amount of smoke will prevent someone from seeing you at close range. Generally, the best way to use smoke is to use it to cover your approach and or coax enemies closer.

I guess I should also mention, one of the items earned at promotion 1 was a Hazmat suit which has terrible armor, but provides exceptional protection against fire, chemical, and choke damage. It might be considered the best early-game armor against Monsters… if it wasn’t for the penalties to stamina, reactions, firing accuracy, and the fact that it’s base armor is just 9. I guess it would also be okay against aliens but... I don't trust it to block a laser or plasma bolt. I'm probably not going to buy any of these

I was expecting the mod to give the player attack dogs instead of HWPs but I can't say I was expecting barking to do anything like that. I guess 20 TU damage reaction barking is one way to keep them safe in close quarters.

How bad are the penalties on the hazmat armor anyways?

RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:23 am
How bad are the penalties on the hazmat armor anyways?
-20 Stamina
-20 Reactions
-10 Firing Accuracy

I mean it could be worse, it could have a time unit penalty but still, the Firing Accuracy penalty alone is pretty bad.

File 8: Breakthroughs
*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: July 1st to August 1st.

… I’m not gonna lie. Some really weird things happened this month and I’m not sure how to explain them. I guess I’ll start at the beginning.
We finally traded in all of the wads of money and briefcases that we recovered from the various cults. We also got to sell some of our excess monster corpses. I’m not sure who we sold them to but… money for us is good.

We’re working on replacing our normal living center with a larger, deluxe suite which has room for more personnel, and some extra storage space for weapons and such.

(Technically we don’t need this yet but we might need it soon for research and production)

We also got another message from the cults, this one is from Red Dawn. It seems like we spooked them. Since we go outside of the bounds of most countries, Red Dawn can’t find us no matter how many bribes and threats they dole out. But as a result, they’re upping their defensive power.

Also, we finally started getting some luck with the Abducted Farmers. After multiple interrogations turned out information about farm animals and farming equipment, we finally got some information on the aliens. Namely information on abductions, and the fact that information is somehow literally injected into their brains? It sounds like something someone on drugs would come up with but, well. It’s a language that no one on-site could identify using symbols that have never been used on Earth. I can’t really think of any other explanation other than him just being crazy… but then why would multiple farmers have the exact same language which has never been seen before?

We’re going to put some more effort into getting an analysis of the language the farmers were using. We can’t read it and it’s pretty unlikely we’ll be able to just with this but, maybe we can get some insight

I guess I should also mention, as part of cleaning out our stores earlier the Quartermaster has been cracking open weapon crates and ammo crates from the cults. And I’m wondering why the Cults have access to flamethrower tanks, SVD clips, and Tommy gun drums when they don’t use those weapons.

I really hope they don’t use those weapons…

We have gone on two missions already this month but there isn’t much to say about them. The helicopter team took on an EXALT hideout and a Red Dawn hideout. That’s Dak Thornson, Chaos Dragon, The Lone Badger, Gospode, Ice Mole, and Max Caliber. Chaos got hurt on the first mission so I took his spot on the second mission.

Now, this is something special. I’ll just let the report speak for itself

All the scientists gathered around to experiment as soon as the report made the rounds, and the very next day they completed the second project, awakening the Alenium shard. The shard is awake, and for now, we’ve given them a rudimentary computer shell to let them talk with us. But without a workshop and some advanced robotics, the shard won’t be able to do much. They seem surprising… human? The Head Engineer took the shard into his workshop and apparently they’ve started brainstorming about stuff like making a body for them. I really hope we didn’t just make Terminator a reality…

We already have a body design for the AI but we can’t really make it yet. As I said we need a workshop and advanced robotics. For now, they seem content though. And they have the same access to the UFOpedia as all the agents do so they’ve been reading. I wonder how long it will be before these “AI units” are going on missions with us?

Another reason for the construction of a Workshop is that the Engineer came up with the idea for a heavy-duty stun weapon. It’s an ugly, disgusting weapon that has a Gatling gun grip and weighs an ungodly amount… but it’s got almost twice the kick of a normal taser and a longer range. But again, we need a workshop for that

We’ve also done some digging into our backers and it’s… strange. They might be a shadowy conspiracy group even stronger than any other we’ve faced. But… are they really enemies of humanity?

We also got some smaller projects done. We were trying to figure out a use for the alien fuel traces and discovered we could make better flares with them. We also found a bolt of this at a Red Dawn site. Durathread.

Also as we looked into the Council we got a message from them which seemed almost… amused. They told us a great deal about the inner workings of the council without actually giving us any specifics. It did quite a bit to clarify our position and why we both enjoy immense power and have to suffer from misguided rules

The next mission is… special. The commander called me in to discuss it. Instead of talking about it, I’ll play the audio back from that meeting.

*Begin Playback*

Commander: Before you ask, you aren’t in trouble Captain Sunny. This mission was just… unique. And I’d like to hear about what happened down there.

Sunny: Yes sir. It was Toast and me in the private car, we had gone to South America to respond to an animal attack call and we drove into an abandoned-looking town

Sunny: When I looked around I couldn’t see very well, but in the distance, I spotted something strange moving around

Commander: Would it be the same type of creature as the one recovered? A Muckstar?

Sunny: Yes. As soon as we started moving it became clear that the creature had a very, very long-range attack. It shot a stream of… electricity I think at Toast and almost hit them

Sunny: We split up and used buildings for cover, but when I turned the corner I saw two more of them on the other side of the building from Toast

Sunny: I killed one with my shotgun and it zapped me in return. But as soon as it did I started… seeing things.

Commander: Please elaborate, what did you see?

Sunny: I saw… a future in which I was killed by another Muckstar. I stayed out in the open after shooting the first Muckstar and got killed by another one. So instead I took cover behind a wall.

Sunny: And when I stepped out from around that wall with my shotgun at the ready, there was a Muckstar standing where one was in my vision.

Sunny: I’m not crazy

Commander: I never said you were Sunny, please continue

Sunny: After that, we went looking around for more of them and I had another vision. We were going to separate to try and find where the Muckstars were hiding. But as Toast went to leave I thought I heard a scream that sounded like him…

(It was at this moment I decided that fighting the Muckstars wasn't worth it and loaded a save)

Sunny: I caught up to Toast and told him that we were leaving. We were going to recover a Muckstar body and let the council salvagers do the rest.

Sunny:... Am I a bad squad leader, for putting our lives ahead of the mission?

Commander: No, not at all. I think it was clear to see that the Muckstars were very dangerous, and that staying put both of you at risk of dying. Recovering a body before making your escape was very good for our research. It’s a shame you couldn’t complete your mission but now two of our best agents are still alive and well.

Sunny: Thank you, sir!

*End Playback*
(So, out of character for a minute. Muckstars are mean. Their attacks are strong, accurate, long-range, and electric so normal armor doesn’t really protect well from it. I don’t think I really need a Muckstar alive for anything so… screw it.)

I’m just glad everyone made it out alive

While I was on my way back we had a mission that was extremely ill-timed. The Police were attempting a joint operation to defeat an EXALT operation. And we couldn’t join because the helicopter couldn’t fly far enough with its fuel tanks, and the Van would take too long, and there was no way in hell we were sending a two-man squad to fight an entire EXALT operation.

(This spawned a little too far west for us to reach with the helicopter, and as stated above the mission would have expired before the van got there)

We also figured something out to do with the Durathread, X-COM Jumpsuits. They aren't super protective but they do seem very, very durable.

(I’ve never actually used the X-COM Jumpsuits. Their overall armor is lower than vests, but they actually provide resistance against a lot of attack types. Maybe worth it for Monster Missions?)

We also had a routine mission against Black Lotus where we managed to catch a Black Lotus Warrior. Although sadly it came at a price, Jane Kane, Nick Danger, and Mac were all in the medbay afterward. There goes our entire Van team.

After this, we had another strange mission. And the Commander got me to watch as… “a consultant” he said.

Mission: Dark Moon

Dak Thornson: I see a werecat! This one seems different though… Can you see what we see Sunny?

Sunny: Yeah. The detail isn’t too great but I can see.

Hound Smith: There’s one on this side of the car!

I had another one of those visions, where Hound took too long to aim down the sights and pull the trigger. So I said…

Sunny: Just shoot Hound! Don’t worry about where you hit!

Hound Smith: Good call Sunny. I didn’t think it would take two shots

Another vision. If Dak stayed on the side of the car closest to the black-furred Werecat it would rush him before he could kill it

Sunny: Dak get on the other side of the car! If you say there the black-furred one might get too close!

Dak Thornson: If you say so…

Dak Thornson: There are two of them! If both of them rushed us we might not get them on time.

Hound Smith: All the more reason to make these shots count!

With both of them opening fire they managed to kill the ones north of their position. But as soon as they were done there

Dak Thornson: He can’t cut through the vest. Still hurt like a bitch though!

Hound Smith: Damn it we’re not going to be able to save anyone if we stay near the car!

Sunny: I don’t even need any help to say that’s a bad idea. Don’t get reckless, don’t go too far from the car until you’ve cleared out all the enemies

The rest of the mission was much simpler. Every time they saw a Werecat it was from very, very far away. But unfortunately…

Dak Thornson: That town… it’s just gone now. Everyone who lived there is dead

Hound Smith: We… We need another base. We need another base with more agents, right here. We have to cross the ocean to get here, and that means sometimes we can’t bring a full squad. We should be able to.

Sunny: Yeah… I don’t know if our budget can handle that or not but. I’ll talk with the commander about it.

Case Closed

Unfortunately, we can’t just start building a base whenever we want, and life went on as normal. We managed to track down the location of the Durathread factory that Red Dawn uses. We haven’t immediately opened a mission to assault it but… soon.

The last mission before the end of the month was a monster hunt against these ugly mugs. It wasn’t too difficult and nothing super interesting happened but. I wanted to confirm the monster type

After that our final research project of the month was an interrogation of a Black Lotus Warrior. We didn’t get much info out of them other than their place on the ladder, and the fact that they’ve faked their own deaths to sever all ties to everything other than Black Lotus.

How very cultish of them

Also, the Chief Researcher is uh… displeased at all of the animals we keep bringing him. Somehow the giant spiders and scorpions concern him more than the freaky mutants. That said I think the Chupacabra scared him especially

This month wasn’t perfect with the missed EXALT mission and the Dark Moon mission but we still did well, and our funding went up. And we have a decent monetary surplus. But it might be time to start breaking into that for the purposes of building another base and expanding the one we have with a Workshop. Although we don’t want to grow too tall in case we start losing money instead…

I also don’t know what to think of my… visions. Am I just crazy? Is my mind feeding me worst-case scenarios and I’m just being paranoid? I’m not sure but… it seems like they’ve been helpful so far. So I’m going to keep following them. For now.

This is Captain Sunny Signing Off.
*End Recording

(LPer Notes)

This set of missions was just really rough for some reason. Missions I can’t reach with the helicopter, missions against Muckstars, and having really bad luck. At one point our second dog Velvet and Hound Smith nearly got killed by normal Followers of Dagon since one of them got a critical hit right to Hound’s face. Luckily he shot back and killed them.

By the way, I should mention, with the Muckstars we have our first direct cameo from other media. The Muckstar hails from the world of UFO Aftermath, where it’s the spawn of the alien Biomass. In the first game, it rolls along on Biomass spikes, but in the sequel, it’s learned to float on its own. Luckily we aren’t dealing with the biomass or the flying Muckstars, but sadly we are dealing with the Muckstars which can fire long-range electric bolts at us. I’ve been scared of these things since my very first game, every since one instantly killed my highest ranking soldier when he took a step, and two of them unloaded on him

I wonder how people feel about Sunny’s “ability” I thought it would be a neat way to discuss in universe the fact that sometimes I rewind the clock when the game is being extra mean. It’s not particularly fair but, hey it’s my LP. Also sometimes it’s basically required. I was gonna get torched by Werewolves otherwise.

Also, it is around this point that I inserted a disciple of Dagon into our base using an editor. Because I have done, literally everything else required of me except finding one of these jerks. I haven’t messed with anything else, just giving me disciple.

The Awakened Alenium Shard is neat, but I believe until we research Advanced Robotics and build a Workshop we won't be able to use any AI Units. Rest assured though, the AI units will come. And they will be very, very useful

I do have some questions for you guys though. Should we build a base in America, so we won’t miss further missions from EXALT? We have enough money to make a military base in America without having too much trouble, but we will probably be unable to build a Workshop until next month if we do so. Related to that, Do we have any volunteers to move to our American base? I don't need a lot of people, maybe just 6 or so who are going to support the new rookies at the American Base.

File 9: Promotion II: Paranormal Security Agency
*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: August 1st to September 1st

With our monthly care package from the council came a surprise gift, a hogtied Disciple of Dagon hogtied and stuffed in a crate. Inside that same crate was a single disc in an unmarked case. Our more technically inclined staff quickly set up a computer (severed from our normal computer network in case it had a virus) and we all gathered around to see what was on it. As it turned out, it was a message. It came with video and audio but all we could see was the shadowy figure of a man sitting at an empty desk

“If you receive this message. I can assume you’ve also received our package. You may be wondering why we have granted you this gift, but the reasoning is quite simple. we have taken a vested interest in your organization and your fight. Consider this a gift, and an offer for mutually beneficial cooperation. There may come a time when we contact you more… directly, with an offer of a particular mission.”

“Until then, Good luck commander. We will be watching.”

Well, that’s ominous…

In other news we’ve begun construction of our second base, Weasel Bunker. I’m starting to notice a pattern with our base names and I’m not sure if I like it. Right now Weasel bunker is completely empty, but construction has begun on a Hangar, a general storage area, a gym, and small living quarters.

The Chief Engineer has also finished designing the Workshop he wants us to construct, and it’s big and expensive, it’ll take us a full month to finish construction. But since we got started on Weasel Bunker we currently can’t construct one. He’ll have to wait until next month I’m afraid.

The first mission this month was a monstrosity for no other reason than how hard it was to find the enemy at night.

No one was injured or anything, but they were all cursing spiders by the time they returned.

We finally got our interrogation of the Dagonite done and with that, we can learn about the Dagon Network, which we had a report compiled on the next day. I don't have much to say about The Church of Dagon, they seem the most cultish of the cults if that makes any sense.

There was also an unfortunate incident involving Fenris Wolves in Europe, which the council was getting on our asses about. It sucks but, well we didn’t know about them until now. For some reason, our intelligence network can better describe the conditions in America than the ones in Europe even though our base is here.

And then it was time for a mission. A mission I regret deeply. It was set against Red Dawn in northern Russia. And it was going to be a slap in the face and a wake-up call for us.

Sunny: Why did we land so close to the base? There’s already an enemy on this side. What about you guys?

Chaos Dragon: There’s a lot of em on this side! I got one, looks like a new rank, commander maybe?

Ice Mole: We have a bigger problem look at the base!
Drakenel: If I had a grenade launcher right now…

I’ll admit it. I tried to call on those visions from before. I tried to think of actions we could take and how they might lead us to victory. But no matter how much I focused I couldn’t see a path where we won. We were just too outgunned.

Sam O’Varr: Snap out of it Sunny! We need a plan.
Sunny: Right. I’m sorry.
Koorish: I'm going to see if we can help them on that side. I see someone in a new uniform, a commander type maybe. Sunny, can you capture him?
Sunny: I have a taser, I can try!
Ice Mole: I’ll cover you Sunny!

Ice Mole: I shouldn’t have turned my back…
Sunny: Looks like all this guy has is a dinky pistol. You’re coming with me!

I couldn’t see the gunfight happening behind me but I could hear it. For every sniper round that Ice Mole and Chaos Dragon fired, only half of them put the target down. And in between their extremely accurate shots were Drakenel, Sam, and Koorish trying to take them down with shotgun and handgun fire. For every couple of shots, we fired Red Dawn was returning with nearly double the number. Most of them missed but it didn’t matter, we were drowning in the sheer volume of bullets fired our way

Chaos Dragon: More of them keep pouring out of the base. Sunny have you got your target?

Sunny: I’ve got him! Looks like he was carrying a file too.
Ice Mole: Listen we can’t keep this up they outnumber us to an absurd degree. Just grab him and run back here!
Chaos Dragon: They’ve got a sniper!

Koorish: Mole, run around to the other side of the helicopter! You’ll be safe there!
Ice Mole: There’s only room for 3 people on that side. If I run over I’ll have to run back to this side to get in. I’ll take my chances!

Ice Mole took their chances

I sprinted back to the helicopter and dove into the open door with the Red Dawn Prisoner over my shoulder. Even as we took off there was the sound of more and more rounds impacting the side of the helicopter. The mission was a failure, but at least we got a prisoner. One of the higher-ups even

All of us were due for a long stay in the hospital

When we returned to base The Lone Badger was ready to greet us with a big medal proclaiming his mastery at the gym. When he noticed the condition we were in he sobered up. I felt bad for taking the victory away from him but... it wasn't a good time

(When you’ve trained for long enough you are considered to be “done” which means you can’t train anymore. But usually, by the time this happens, your agent is quite badass.)

While I was in the hospital there was another development, an industrial investigation. This was dangerous, equipment was limited, there was no armor, and the enemy had to be taken down very, very carefully. That said, it went rather well

Dak Thornson: Alright, spread out and look for enemies, but keep on your toes.
The Lone Badger: Roger!
Gospode: -Bark-

Despite how dangerous the mission was supposed to be it went very well. Most of the enemy was also limited to melee weapons. Badger clubbed a guy over the back of the head.

Gospode mauled another guy…

And when the one member of Red Dawn with a gun tried to attack Gospode they reacted fast enough to stun them and then maul them too

(I’ll confess I forgot to look at the loot from this mission so I don’t actually remember what we got from this mission. But another mission in another recording turned up 900 thousand dollars in money briefcases so. It was probablt a lot of money. Also I'm sorry Gos I keep forgetting to fix their name)

While they were on their way back from this mission, our Military Envoy appeared. He seemed very well-informed and connected. And more than a little willing to break the rules for us. I would be annoyed at that, but then we realized the doors he was opening up for us.

We also got a new batch of rookies to shore up our numbers. Please welcome Drake Sherin, Wizard Williams, Boris P Delacroix, Arcovic, Skulder Mully, and Titty Baby. Most of you will be in training for quite a while before your first mission but we look forward to seeing you in action.

(This was taken just before I put Drake, Williams, Boris, and Arcovic on training)

We got another set of shipments from our “mysterious benefactor.” this time they were land surveys that turned up strange creature evidence. And on a bit of a coincidence, this happened around the same time we completed our Summary Report. And the day after we received our second promotion, to the X-COM Paranormal Security Agency. And once again that opened many, many doors for us

(Promotions are super important. Always do them quickly if you can)

I believe our first order of business was our General Strategy, and to research the Xenonauts, because they apparently had some unique armor they made use of. Which we clearly need by now

We also completed our interrogation of the Red Dawn Sailor we captured, and he’s one of the higher-ups, but still not a proper “leader” quite yet. Strangely they seem to carry less dangerous weapons than the Lads and Pioneers, and their physical conditioning is lesser, but they hold an important tacical position

We had another mission, this time against EXALT. And once again I tried to use my… “visions” to try and help the mission along. Once again it didn’t help. The team even brought smoke grenades to try and cover themselves, but it didn’t matter when they were surrounded before the mission even started

They took what kills they could and then piled back in the helicopter to escape

(No one died, it’s just that Dak and Badger didn’t count as “units” because they were currently bleeding out in the dirt. I took a couple attempts at this mission but had no luck in surviving the initial volley without my strike team being crippled or killed)

On the bright side with our promotion and Military Envoy, we have a new contact, the BlackOps Industries. They have few stakes in any of this, they’re just a corporation making money and we’re an organization in need of their equipment.

There’s nothing important about this case I just find it funny how effortless it was

(Honestly, after the pounding I took earlier. I will accept a mission that just drip-feeds me some points)

The following mission wasn’t as nice, and as you can probably guess, after being surrounded on all sides the mission was swiftly aborted. Though credit where credit is due, Max got an extremely cool three kills before the enemy properly rallied

(the third kill is off screen.)

Since it was expected to be easy, we sent two of the rookies, Williams and Drake out on a crop circle mission. And it went well. Although Wizard Williams somehow found a way to get shot anyways.

(Don’t worry it’s loaded with baton shells)

We also turned up all of the Xenonauts history. They were an even earlier attempt at an organization like ours. It sadly failed due to a myriad of reasons, but their research did turn up some important things, and the armor they created is quite powerful. Rest now Xenonauts, your work wasn’t in vain

We also had another fight with an old enemy of ours. The Reapers. And… well. They’re easy now. It was hard to take them down with wimpy pistols and tasers but we have AP shotgun slugs and hunting rifles now. They’re easy to take down.

We also finished researching the Armored Vests that the Xenonauts use and I have to say these are a good bit better than the Kevlar we have been using. On top of that, there’s the alien combat shield which is heavy and takes up one hand but stood up impressively well against heavy-duty gunfire.

(This is a direct upgrade against the Kevlar Vest, although due to its weight it shaves off 5 TUs, Stamina, and Reactions from the unit using it. That’s… not that bad really. 5 TUs is the equivalent of being able to move 1.25 tiles less on a normal battlefield.)

I’m honestly surprised that the Council is so happy with us. I mean, we still had a net positive I guess since we took in the abducted farmers and killed several members of Red Dawn and EXALT but we did a lot of running away this month. Then again maybe that’s proof that we need more firepower…

(Ever since my first game where I expanded too fast and ended up bleeding money for a month I've been leery of expanding too fast. That said, since we have a second base I'm considering building research facilities over there too. Our research backlog is getting really really big.)

We’ve been filling the paperwork for various orders from Black Ops too. With this influx of cash, it’s time for us to completely revamp our armory. Hopefully, by the next time we go on a mission, we’ll be able to keep pace with the enemy, outmatch them even.

This is Captain Sunny, Signing Off
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)

This set of missions was absolutely brutal. Some of it was my fault for dragging my feet on equipping everyone with smoke grenades, but on the other hand, I couldn’t get all the stuff from Promotion II until now since our Dagon friend insisted on hiding.. I miiight have been able to take on the Red Dawn base if I had everyone just choke the area with smoke so they couldn’t all fire on us. But as it was there was no way I could win the EXALT fight.

That’s actually something the game itself recommends you do if you’re outgunned. Just showing up to a mission site and securing a few kills is enough to get you some points, hopefully enough to reduce the sting of the failed mission. Usually showing up and aborting the mission is less of a point loss than letting it expire, although undercover investigations are an exception.

I hope the cults enjoyed having us on the backfoot because now we have Promotion II and the Armored Vests. This case's armory session is on nothing but the Black Ops weapons because they are all very, very good. Some of them might also be familiar to you, as the Black Ops Pistol and Black Ops Rifle have the same sprite as the Pistol and Rifle in X-COM UFO Defense. Which I really like, it makes me feel like we are climbing the ranks to reach what X-COM was in UFO Defense.

Also, the Xenonauts history is of course a reference to Xenonauts, an X-COM-inspired game in which the alien invasion takes place during the Cold War. Xenonauts introduced a number of features that exist in X-COM files, such as armed civilians, sprite/color-coded ranks for enemies, and support staff with characters. I don’t know for sure if X-COM Files was really inspired by these things in Xenonauts, but it’s a neat coincidence either way

The Black Ops Pistol is a direct upgrade over the Colt, and… well basically every pistol we’ve been using other than the Magnum and Desert Eagle which are “heavy pistols” and deals more damage. But as you can see the Black Ops Pistol has exceptional accuracy and can be fired very quickly. We can shoot up to 5 bullets in one turn if our soldier otherwise remains stationary. It also has a bigger ammo capacity with 12 in one clip. This will be our new standard light sidearm

Also, we are supposed to be able to get a Black Ops Magnum but I can’t get it yet. Don’t worry though, we will soon

Another direct upgrade, the Black Ops SMG has the same weight and time unit cost to fire as the Uzi, but its bullets have 5 more power, and it is 10% more accurate on both shot types while firing the same number of bullets. And just like the Uzi, it can be used one-handed. Great weapon, this will be our new standard SMG

This is the first Black Ops weapon that might have what you may consider a trade-off. This version of the shotgun uses the same ammo as the original Shotgun and therefore does the same amount of damage, however, this variant has lower accuracy in exchange for a much faster firing rate, enough to do an aimed shot and a snapshot, or three snapshots while the normal shotgun can only fire one aimed shot or two snapshots. Normally I’d advocate for the more accurate weapon but. Well. Look at how accurate the Black Ops Shotgun still is. This will be our new standard shotgun

Continuing the trend of direct upgrades, this is our new rifle. 20 rounds is less ammo than the AKM we’ve been using and the power is the same, but it’s also just plain better in accuracy, TU use, and range. It’s also lighter weight. This will be our new standard rifle

I’ll confess I’ve never used this weapon. It’s powerful, mighty even, but its accuracy is below average and it takes both hands. But as a two-handed rifle, its accuracy goes up while crouching, and it can output the most damage of any weapon we have. I’ll have to see if I can get any of the Heavies to use it

30 base damage and a slower firing rate may make this look worse than the Hunting Rifle, but here’s something to consider, the accuracy and power bonuses. I… can’t actually parse the Accuracy bonus all I know is that it means its accuracy is actually slightly higher than listed. The power bonus is pretty monstrous though. Every 10 points of firing accuracy on the unit using it will raise the Sniper Rifle’s damage by 2.5. Keep in mind that rookies join with accuracy in the 40-60 range. Also, it’s lighter weight than most sniper rifles and has a 10-round clip. Again, this will be our new standard sniper rifle.

I already told you the Armored Vest is a direct upgrade over the Kevlar vest and that’s true, in addition to higher armor it has a better set of resistances. However, we need to talk about the Armored Vest with the shield. The shield is both a piece of armor and a weapon that you can’t remove once in battle. It means you can only use one-handed weapons, pistols, and SMGs. However, the shield raises your forward-facing armor by 10 points, and the shield itself can be used for a powerful shield bash.

I forgot to grab a screenshot of the shield as a weapon, sorry about that. But all you need to know is that it's a costly attack with mediocre accuracy and no base damage, but a sizeable strength boost. It's not a good melee attack but useful in a pinch. The Armored Vest with the Shield is a bit difficult to use since your left-hand slot is taken up permanently while using it, but the extra armor is appreciated. SMG and HAND class agents might get to use the shielded armored vest. Oh also it slightly increases the stamina and TU penalties but once again it’s not a big issue