Let's Play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Challenge Mode

Put your Let's Plays in here.

Released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64, Ocarina of Time is widely considered one of the best games on the platform, one of the best Zelda games, and one of the best games, period. I like this game quite a bit myself, and have played it so much that even a three heart challenge is fairly simple.

In this Let's Play, I'll be playing through all of Ocarina of Time with the following restrictions: three hearts, no shield, no bottle use, no Lens of Truth, and using the Broken Giant's Knife as my primary weapon. The Broken Giant's Knife is effectively a two-handed Kokiri Sword for adult Link. Obviously, any point where shields or bottles are required to progress the story are fair game.

There are also a few other stipulations to the run. For example: I'm not going to stand across the room and pick every enemy off with the bow even though it isn't strictly forbidden, because that defeats the purpose of the Broken Giant's Knife rule. I'll also be introducing some fun extra gimmicks for certain dungeons as we get to them.

I'm playing the Wii U Virtual Console version of the game, which is based on the final N64 revision, albeit with the Gerudo symbol from the Gamecube release. Joining me for this LP are my pals Jesse and Morgan.

Part 01: Kokiri Forest
Part 02: Deku Tree
Part 03: Hyrule Castle
Part 04: Dodongo's Cavern
Part 05: Zora's Domain
Part 06: Jabu Jabu's Belly
Part 07: The Ultimate Weapon
Part 08: Forest Temple
Part 09: Poe the Ghost
Part 10: Fire Temple
Part 11: Ice Cavern
Part 12: Water Temple
Part 13: Bottom of the Well
Part 14: Shadow Temple
Part 15: Gerudo Valley
Part 16: Spirit Temple
Part 17: Ganon's Castle
Part 18: No Regrets
Last edited by Hamsterlady on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Part 03: Hyrule Castle

I put all the most boring parts of the run in a single video.

Wind Waker 4-Koma
The King of Hyrule is a Jerk

Wind Waker is a game that looks hard to LP well. I've heard a bunch of people say that they really liked it but I look at what's on the SA Archive and scratch my head. The Strawhatno one skips most of the non-essential stuff, which makes it look too short. And as an inversion there was Geop's overstretched mess of an LP, an ouroboros of unfathomably stale in-jokes.

Meanwhile the latest video was tame but at least you're showing off goofy stuff like Link's moonwalk. Or what happens if you hit the windows in Zelda's hideaway; I've never seen that before!

Part 04: Dodongo's Cavern

We technically set up a part of the full run in this video, I guess.

Part 05: Zora's Domain

I hate this game because of the owl. I hate him with my life. He does not leave the Hero of Time alone.

Part 06: Jabu Jabu's Belly

I don't know anyone who likes this dungeon.

Part 07: The Ultimate Weapon

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

Part 08: Forest Temple

The game is actually hard now.

Part 09: Poe the Ghost

You defeated Poe the ghost!

Part 10: Fire Temple

Hey, you guys ever heard of Bubble Bobble?

Part 11: Ice Cavern

I will kill every keese and you can't stop me.

Part 13: Bottom of the Well

Warning: The episode you're about to view is non-canon.

Part 14: Shadow Temple

We can't tear down the Shadow Temple, we may forget Hyrule's bloody history

Part 15: Gerudo Valley

What if we made a terrible maze and put the same boss fight in it four separate times

Part 16: Spirit Temple

Unlike a normal playthrough, we actually feel stronger during the child portion of this dungeon.

Part 17: Ganon's Castle

We lower the barrier and use a roundabout method to throw our Mirror Shield directly into the trash.

Part 18: No Regrets

Nobody told me there was a better sword in this game.