True Love Meets Dramatic Action - Let's Play Sakura Wars!

Put your Let's Plays in here.

Sakura Wars is a "dramatic adventure" game for the Sega Saturn, developed from a concept by author Oji Hiroi by Red Entertainment and published by Sega themselves. One of the flagship titles for the system in Japan, it would go on to spawn a massive multimedia franchise, spanning six mainline games, several spinoffs, and a number of anime and manga adaptations, as well as stage shows.

The game takes place in a fictionalized steampunk version of Japan's Taisho era, specifically 1923 and follows the exploits of the Imperial Assault Troop (Known as the Combat Revue in official translations), a secret military unit dedicated to fighting demonic threats to Tokyo while masquerading as a theater troupe. Recently graduated Navy Ensign Ichiro Ogami is brought on to lead the Flower Division, a group of women with spiritual power who pilot steam-powered armor in defense of the capital.

Dramatic adventure? Yes, that's the official term Sega used to refer to this game's genre. In reality, Sakura Wars is an eclectic mix of visual novel/adventure storytelling, dating sim relationships, and turn-based strategy combat. I think it works pretty well.

Despite multiple attempts to localize the series, the games eluded the English-speaking world for years, with only So Long My Love getting a western release 5 years after it was released. In 2019, however, not only was it announced that the soft reboot would be brought over in English, but a complete fan translation of the Saturn original was dropped just outta nowhere!

https://youtu.be/_H5BL8NzLBo

This is the version that I'll be playing. Now, before we join the Imperial Assault Troop, let's meet the ladies we'll be fighting alongside. I'll probably be going for whichever one goes over more with the audience, so find one you like!

Sakura Shinguji (CV. Chisa Yokoyama)

The main heroine who joined the Assault Troop around the same time as Ogami. She grew up in the sticks and is still getting used to life in the big city, but her heart sure is in the right place.

Pros: Is a samurai, a genuine Sega icon
Cons: Kinda clumsy, risks incurring the wrath of Segata Sanshiro if dated

Sumire Kanzaki (CV. Michie Tomizawa)

The self-professed star of the Flower Division, Sumire is the heir to Kanzaki Heavy Industries, the company that manufatures the Koubu, the powered armor the Assault Troop fights in. She won't hesitate to let you know she's better than you.

Pros: She's a good actress, ohohohohos
Cons: Got a big ol' stick up her butt, her shoulders are probably cold

Maria Tachibana (CV. Urara Takano)

The most experienced member of the Flower Division, Maria is a half-Russian veteran of the Russian Revolution. She's the original leader of the division and an ace sharpshooter, though her battle experience has left her a bit cold and distant.

Pros: A bonafide professional, calm and collected
Cons: Kinda hard to read, guns are bad

Iris Châteaubriand (CV. Kumiko Nishihara)

The youngest member of the Flower Division, Iris comes from an aristocratic French family. She's not equipped with a weapon, but has strong psychic abilities, which she uses to support the rest of the team.

Pros: Keeps us all in top shape, probably makes good fries
Cons: She speaks French sometimes so I have to copy and paste accents and stuff, is very much ten years old so maybe let's not, huh?

Li Kohran (CV. Yuriko Fuchizaki)

A mechanical genius from China, Kohran works as the stage manager of the Flower Division and maintains the unit's Koubu. She's also an inventor, though her inventions have a habit of blowing up on her.

Pros: Glasses and braids, speaks a cool Kansai-ben
Cons: She'll use us as a guinea pig, explosions are also not very good

Kanna Kirishima (CV. Mayumi Tanaka)

The muscle of the group, Kanna is a karate master who puts her combat prowess to use in her Koubu. She's a tomboy and almost always hungry, and is often at odds with Sumire.

Pros: Big and buff, is literally 6'6"/197cm
Cons: Hefty restaurant checks, for some reason she makes me want to be a pirate

Updates

Episode 1 - The Capital's Floral Assault Troop!

1-1 - Meeting the Imperial Assault Troop
1-2 - Between an O and a U
1-3 - The Bear Necessities
1-4 - The Secret of the Troupe
1-5 - The Battle of the Flower Viewing Festival

Episode 2 - The Enemy Is....The Hive of Darkness!

2-1 - The Eccentric Genius
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88#p56962-2 - The Koi is Mine[/url]
Last edited by Waffleman on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

1-1 - Meeting the Imperial Assault Troop

Watch Video: Disc 1 OP
Uncompressed version courtesy PlayscopeTimeline

The main theme of Sakura Wars, "Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan" is performed by Chisa Yokoyama and the Teikoku Kagekidan. In Japan, it became an iconic song in the anime fandom, becoming a mainstay at karaoke bars and live shows. A version of this theme appears in five of the six mainline Sakura Wars games, with only the fifth game, So Long My Love missing it.

Additionally, this is how basically every FMV in this game is presented, compressed into a little box. Gotta save space on those Cee Dee Roms somehow. The animated cutscenes are produced by the Sega-owned studio Kyokuichi Tokyo Movie, later known as TMS Entertainment, who are also known for producing the Lupin III and Detective Conan franchises, Akira, and contributing animation to a multitude of western cartoons in the 90s.

Nothing much to say about the main menu, so let's just start the show.

Watch Video: The Incident in Ueno Park

The curtain rises on the Imperial Capital of Tokyo, specifically the Ginza district.

Huh? You say you saw something? Yeah, what you're seeing is the hustle and bustle of a city on the rise.

What?

It's just some birds.

We're at Ueno Park, the cherry blossoms are falling, it's beautiful, what more could you want?

Well that's a hamper on our nice day out.

Well, good thing she had a sword. But enough of that.

Image As a special assignment, I appoint you captain of the following outfit. "The Imperial Assault Troop, Anti-Demon Corps, Flower Division." You are on a secret assignment to defend our Imperial capital. Proceed to Ueno Park to meet up with your squad.

Image Imperial Army Lieutenant General, Yoneda Ikki

Yeah, I can read, Count.

This here's Ogami, he's gonna be our us for the game. He just graduated from the Navy academy and he's already got a pretty cushy gig as a captain.

Image Good. That's what I like to hear. My position as a politician doesn't allow me to talk about a military secret like the Assault Troop here and now. For more information you have to ask the officer in command, Lieutenant General Yoneda. Now, go to Ueno Park. Don't make me regret recommending you for this position!

Image Yes, sir! I'll be on my way immediately!

Image The safety of the capital lies in your hands. Good luck!

Image Yes, sir!

Hopefully there's not as many monsters today.

Image Now then...where is this meet-up point...? Maybe I should look around a bit more.

Image I heard a young girl got rid of the monster with a sword.

Image ...I was told someone from the Imperial Assault Troop would meet me here. I wonder how long he'll keep me waiting?

Image She's coming this way...!

Watch video: Meet Sakura

There's a fair bit of voice acting in this game, which is impressive for 96. When we meet our main characters, I'll give little samples of their voice acting, and maybe some other prominent scenes. Also, might as well tell you a bit more about the voice actors. Sakura here is voiced by Chisa Yokoyama, whose more prominent roles aside from Sakura include Sasami in the Tenchi Muyo franchise, Lucrezia Noin in Gundam Wing, and Biscuit Krueger in the 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime.

Image Y-Yes. I'm Ogami. Ahem, excuse me, but you are...?

Image My name is Sakura Shinguji. I received orders from Lieutenant General Yoneda to pick you up.

Image ...From Lieutenant General Yoneda?

Image (I was told someone would meet me...But who would have thought it would be a girl!)

Ogami, it's 1923, that kind of thinking is antiquated.

Image You, uh....are you a memeber of the Imperial Assault Troop?!

Image Nice to meet you.

Image Ah...I'm Imperial Navy Ensign Ichiro Ogami. But...to tell the truth, I'm surprised that a girl like you is a squad member.

Image Is that a problem for you?

Yeah, Ogami. Is it?

Image N-No. That's not what I meant...

Image (It's a top-secret unit after all...Maybe it's not so strange that there are female members.)

Imperial Theater? Like a theater of war, I guess? Didn't expect to be hitting the battlefield so quickly.

Image What? A theater?!

Oh, would you look at that. It's the Live Interactive Picture System! You can just call it LIPS for short. It's a mechanic this game has to bring a bit more engagement to the typical ADV gameplay. In the first couple games, much of what it amounts to is that dialogue choices have a time limit. The border around the box will fill in red as we run out of time, and if we do, we just...don't say anything. Which is always an option.

Now, we could be rude to poor Sakura, but hey, if we're gonna fight alongside her, let's have her tell us a bit about herself.

Image First tell me more about you.

And we hear a little chime which means we got a little point up with Sakura. We'll be able to gain or lose trust with each of the girls in typical VN fasion. Of course, only one will win our heart.

Image My name is Sakura Shinguji. I just arrived from Sendai and newly joined the troop. I still feel like I'm causing everybody nothing but trouble. But I'd give my life in order to protect the capital.

Image I see, that's the right attitude! Happy to hear that. No wonder you're a member of the secret squad. ...So the Imperial Assault Troop has something like a secret weapon, right?

I think a lot of things about it are secret, boy.

Image Using a "Koubu" is really hard. But we newbies should stick together and do our best.

Image (Koubu? Ah, that's what the secret weapon is called. I wonder what it is.)

Image Y-Yes! Thank you very much!

Deeper into Ginza, we find...

Image No one would guess that in reality this theater is a secret military headquarters...

Image Since it's your first time, let's enter through the main lobby.

Ooh, this is a pretty snazzy place.

Image At any rate...It's really quiet here.

Image That's because today there is only a night performance.

Image (Night performance? ...Is that supposed to be a night-time drill?)

That's the only performance I'd think would be in a theater.

Image But we're opening soon. There'll be loads of guests here in a minute.

Watch video: Meet Iris

Hey, it's Iris! I like that the fan translation has her call Ogami "mon frère" as a translation for "onii-chan" which feels more natural and less...weird. However, it means I gotta copypaste that accent every time. Iris is voiced by Kumiko Nishihara, who's been an active voice actress since 1984. Some of her other roles include Silvia Noventa in Gundam Wing, Perona in One Piece, and Renne in Trails in the Sky.

Also hey rude.

Image Waaah!?

Image (Who's that child...?!?)

Image Iris! Haven't I told you already that you shouldn't talk like that to grown-ups? This is Ensign Ichiro Ogami, newly transferred to the Imperial Assault Troop.

Image Ah...I'm...Imperial Navy Ensign Ichiro Ogami.

Image Imperial Assault Troop, Flower Division, Iris. And this is Jean-Paul, the bear. He's my best friend. I hope you two get along.

I'm pretty good with animals, don't you worry.

Ogami, understandably, has reservations about a 10 year old being a soldier, but this is anime.

Image Sakura...

Image What is it?

Image He has the "Sprit Power" too...does that mean he's going to fight in a "Koubu" as well?

Nah, I'm just the new ticket taker.

Image That's right.

Image Oh, don't worry, Iris. Let's go back to your room and I'll read you stories from that Mother Goose book.

Image OK.

Image Please excuse me for now.

Image Sakura has gone as well...Damn. I guess I'll have to find Lieutenant General Yoneda on my own...

And now we're alone.

And here you can see the layout of the theater. This little map screen is where we'll be spending a lot of our time, but before that, something's caught Ogami's attention.

Image ...Who was that? I think it came from the dining hall...

Yeah, the theater has I guess a restaurant attached.

Watch video: Meet Sumire

Sumire is voiced by Michie Tomizawa, who's also known for such roles as Roberta from Black Lagoon, Mihoshi in the fourth Tenchi Muyo OVA series, Rachel from Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive...

Oh, and she's goddamn Sailor Mars. That too.

Image ...Are you talking to me?

Image Do you see anyone else? Wipe that stupid look off your face and get over here!

Image Ye-yes, ma'am...

Boy, you got it bad.

Image Pick up that fork I dropped over there and go get me a new one.

If there's anything I've learned working retail, it's that sometimes you just gotta give people what they want, it's not worth fighting over.

Image Yes, right away! ...Here, there you go.

Image Thank you. Oh, by the way, What do youo think about how that Maria just came out of nowhere and replaced me, top star Kanzaki Sumire, as the leader of the troop?

Image That old geezer Yoneda...he couldn't spot a star if you hit him over the head with it.

Uhhhhhhhhh.

Image (Phew..) ...I'm Imperial Navy Ensign Ichiro Ogami. I was transferred to the Imperial Assault Troop effective today. I'd like to report to Lieutenant General Yoneda...

Image Oh, and be so nice not to mention what I just said to Yoneda, OK? (*kiss*)

Excuse me, miss! This is improper work conduct!

Image Waah! Wh-What are you doing all of a sudden!?!

Image There, there, no need to turn all red. Just a little revenge...er, reward, is what I mean.

Image Ahem...Where might I find Lieutenant General Yoneda?

Image Mr. Yoneda is in the manager's room. But remember, don't mention our little talk. Do you understand Ensign Ogawa?

Image If that is all, please be on your way.

Image Y-Yes, ma'am...

That was exceptionally odd. Well, onto Yoneda's office.

Image Lieutenant General Ikki Yoneda, the great strategist from the Russo-Japanese war. I wonder what kind of man he is.

Watch video: Meet Maria

Maria is the last major character we'll be meeting today, and she's voiced by Urara Takano. Maria is actually the most prominent role she's played, though she also portrays Francis Drake in the Fate franchise and played Monkey D. Luffy in the original OVA pilot for One Piece, as well as a number of live-action dubbing roles.

Image Ah...excuse me. I'm Imperial Nacy Ensign Ichiro Ogami. I would like to see Lieutenant General Yoneda...

[maria-normal] So you're Ichiro Ogami, newly transferred to the Troop. Nice to meet you. My name is Maria Tachibana.

Image Miss Maria Tachibana...

So here's another bit of LIPS. We can just...lookit girls. We can examine different parts of her body and Ogami will comment.

Her hair:

Image (I guess you can call this color platinum blonde.)

Her uniform:

Image (What a speckless display of uniform and posture.)

Her eyes:

Image (What brilliant green eyes...)

Ogami no.

Image (Nice...)

Bad.

And then we can just end this by talking to her mouth.

[maria-normal] Lieutenant General Yoneda is in the manager's office. I have training, so I must leave you.

Image But what type of practice was she talking about? Well then...I'll finally meet Lieutenant General Yoneda.

And we'll meet with the Lieutenant General next time.

A Fun Fact To Leave You On
Did you know that the concept for what would become Sakura Wars dates back to 1990, when Oji Hiroi saw a stage production of Shanghai Rhapsody and was impressed by the spectacle of the acting troupe he saw?
Last edited by Waffleman on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1-2 - Between an O and a U

Ey boss, it's me!

Image Hey, come on in!

Image...Excuse me!

Image Reporting for duty!

Look at this man, drunk off his ass on a Wednesday morning.

Image Remember, dis is the Great Imperial Theater, hic. Cut da military talk!

Image (What the...Who is the drunkard? Don't tell me this is...)

Image How 'bout a drink?

This guy's a general, right?

Image ...Are...are you really Lieutenant General Yoneda?

Image What the...! What do you mean, "really?" Can't you recognize people without a badge of rank? Hic! I'm Army Lieutenant General Ikki Yoneda! Idiot!

Image I...I'm sorry.

Image Good! Glad we cleared that up. So, let me give you ya' first assignment.

Image Change into this and go to the reception! You'll raise eyebrows in that military uniform. Remember, this is a secret unit.

I still don't fully understand the point of a secret military unit needing to operate under a front like a theater and not in a secret base, but hey I'm not the President of the secret military.

Image I see...So we operate in disguise! Par for the course for a secret unit! Yes sir! Ichiro Ogami reporting for duty!

Image Yes sir!

Sakura!

IRIS.

Image Sakura and..Iris, was it? What are you doing here?

The game kinda doesn't convey it that well, but as you can probably tell by the portrait, Ogami did in fact change clothes.

Image Hey, weren't you the one saying we should 'check things out' in the first place?

Image Yes, and you said it was a great idea!

Ah, I see now.

Image (These two...looks like they were eavesdropping.)

I don't nearly have the time to worry about that right now, girls.

Image Anyways...Could you two tell me where the reception is? It's my first assignment here. I'd like to go there immediately.

Image No! He's going with me! Let's go, Mon Frère!

GIRLS NO TIME LET'S GO

Image Hey, stop fighting, you two. How about we all go together, hm?

Image ...Alright.

Image I'm sorry, Iris. I guess I was a bit childish, too.

This gets us points with the both of them.

Image It's OK. Let's all go together. I like that!

Ogami no.

All the way back to the lobby.

Image I see. Thank you for showing me the way.

Image Mon Frère, the clipper is inside the desk! Come on, Sakura, let's go!

Image You're right, Iris. Ogami, we have to practice, so...please excuse us.

Image H-Hey you two, wait a second...

Clippers? Am I doing people's nails?!

Image Clipper...? What am I supposed to do with those?

Image What?! You don't know how to use a clipper? Hahaha, that's funny. You hold it in your hand and go snippety snip like this, and it'll cut holes.

That explains everything.

Image Hey, Iris. If we're not off to practice soon...

Image Oh, right. Bye-bye!

Image ...but I really wanted to know what I'm supposed to use the clipper for.

Image Excuse me, young man. How long do you expect us to wait? Punch our tickets!

Wha

Image Today Sumire is starring in "The Eve of Lady Camellia". I can't wait!

Image What do you mean? I'm not responsible for tickets.

Image But...that's the ticket puncher's uniform you're wearing. And don't you have a clipper as well?

Image Whaaa..!? Does that mean my secret mission is just...punching tickets!? You gotta be kidding me!

YONEDA! I was just joking last time!

Image Y-yes. Uh...where do I punch the hole?

Image Huh? Are you new here? Jeez...don't dilly-dally.

Image Y-yes! Just a moment, please.

Image (...Wasn't my assignment to be captain of a secret squad?)

No, Ogami. Keep up the cover for some reason.

Image (No way! The Imperial Assault Troop is a secret unit. I can't just blow their cover like this!)

Image ...At the moment I'm punching tickets here, but in reality...Just kidding, I really am just a ticket puncher.

Ogami please you are spending an uncomfortable amount of time talking to the damn customers.

Image Everything alright with you? Oh! Look at the time. The Flower Division's show is about to start!

Image (Did she just say Flower Division...? How does a civilian know the name of this secret unit...?)

Yeah, a running thing with this series seems to be a confusion on just how secret the unit actually is. People seem to know enough about them to be able to connect the dots, but....they don't?

Image Ahem...

Image Ah, sorry. Where is that clipper...? Ah! Here it is! There you go.

Image Um...Do you happen to like Sumire Kanzaki?

Really don't know enough about her to say, but you seem to like her, so I'm not gonna ruin your day.

Image Yeah, I haven't talked to her all that much, but she sure is my type.

Image Whaaa...! You've talked to Sumire?! Man, I'm so jealous...Oh, right...Ahem...would you mind giving this letter to her? Please tell her it is from her most passionate fan.

Image Y-yes, sir...understood.

Image Hey! Ticket puncher guy, here's my ticket!

Image Y-yes! Ahem...Where do I punch a children's ticket?

Image This guy's new here! He doesn't even know how to punch tickets!

Every fiber of my being is telling me to do it but I can't, because if you just do what they want, they'll go away and leave you alone.

Image Here you go, boy. Here's your ticket back.

Image Keep up the "good" work.

Fuck you too.

Image (Wh-what's the matter with that obnoxious child?!)

Image ...No matter how I look at it, this is weird. How is ticket punching connected to my secret mission!? ...OK! I'm gonna have a talk with the squad. Maybe then I'll get some sort of explanation. If I'm still not convinced, I'll have to ask Lieutenant General Yoneda!

Image Hello? Excuuuuse me!

Image You arrived today, didn't you? Nice to meet you. I heard about you. I'm Tsubaki Takamura. I'm always working at the gift shop here.

Image Miss Tsubaki, is it?

Image I've got photos of all the group members here, so please stop by to visit anytime!

We can get cool pics of all the sweeties and honeys here at Tsubaki's.

Image Hmm...She works here at the gift shop. Seems full of energy.

Image ...OK. Where to next?

Now we have free rein of the theater. This is gonna be the majority of our time in the game, goin' to places and havin' scenes.

But before we can go anywhere...

Image Guess whooo~?

It's Chisa Yokoyama!

Image That voice...is that you, Sakura?

Image Hehe...you got me.

Image Even you have a mischievous side then, huh?

Image Hehe...sorry about that. But...it makes me so happy that you remembered my voice.

Image Huh?...

Image Uh...s-sorry. I guess that was a strange thing to say. W-Well, I should get going...

Image Ah-Sakura, hold on! There's something I wanted to ask you.

Image What is it?

Wheeeere are you going?

Image Where are you headed, Sakura?

Image The performance is due to begin soon, so I'm looking for Sumire. I'm willing to bet she's somewhere on the second floor...well, I'll be going.

Image ...Shoot, I forgot to ask her about the Imperial Assault Troop. ...Oh well, I'd better go too.

Ah damn.

Let's head backstage, see what's happening.

why are you on the floor

Image Yeah, thanks for before, Iris. By the way...there's something I wanted to ask you.

Image Yesss?

Gimme the scoop on the troop, Betty Boop.

Image I was wondering if you could tell me about the Imperial Assault Troop...

Image Sure, okay.

Image Why is the troop headquartered in a theater?

Image We're in a theater because that's where the "troop" performs. Isn't that obvious? You're pretty strange, Mon Frère.

Image ...?

Image (I don't get it. There's nothing obvious about it!)

We're not gonna look over Iris too much, but let's see her bear.

Image Mon Frère, do you remember my bear's name?

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Jean-Paul.

Image I remember. It's Jean-Paul, isn't it?

Image Yaaay! Mon Frère, you really remembered!

Image Of course. He's your very best friend.

Image Thank you, Mon Frère...I'm so happy you remembered.

Let's just...find out where the others are.

Image Do you know where everyone else is?

Image Sumire is upstairs. Sakura went to go get her. Maria said she was going to the stage. I think Mr. Yoneda is in his room?

Image I see. Thanks.

Well, the stage is right here, so let's see what Maria is up to.

Image I could ask the same of you. What business do you have here?

We get another lookyloo, but we had one before and we won't learn anything new, so let's just continue the conversation.

Image ...Did you need something from me?

I don't think Ogami's gonna really understand what's going on with the Troop no matter how much we tell him, so we might as well get a sense of who these girls are.

Image Maria, would you tell me a little about yourself?

Image As captain of the Imperial Assault Troop, I'd like to know how a woman such as yourself came to be here.

Image ...I don't believe there's any need for me to answer that. In any case, I hardly acknowledge you to be the captain as it is.

Harsh but fair.

Image E-excuse me?!

Image Ensign, you're interfering with my duties. Please refrain from speaking with me.

Geez fine.

Image The play is about to begin, so this area is off-limits. Please keep your distance, Ensign.

Image Oh well. Guess I'll head somewhere else.

Heading upstairs...

And over to the salon. It's not the hair type! It's an old kinda room where people would, like, sit.

Image ...It's Ogami.

Image Oh, pardon me. I know-I'll call you "Ensign" from now on, just to simplify things.

Whatever works, I guess.

We get a chance to look over Sumire and all we find out is she has hair and boobs. Not a whole lot goin' on with these right now as we introduce the girls.

Image Drinking tea before a performance is the perfect way to dissolve tension. By the way, Ensign...what was it you needed?

I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Image I hope it's not too forward of me to say, but I'd love to know more about you...

Wait I didn't mean it like that.

Image As I mentioned before, I am the daughter of the Kanzaki family, which controls the Kanzaki Group. Originally, the only stage I stood upon was the stage of high society. But then Kanzaki Inc. became linked with this theater due to their efforts, and so I came to live here.

Image Kanzaki Heavy Industries? Why would a theater collaborate with an industrial manufacturing company?

The secret military unit, you dingus!!!

Image Ah, w-well now...

Image Sumireee! ...Oh, you're here too, Ogami?

Image Sakura...

Image How good of you to come for me. I must drop by my room for a moment, then I'll be right there. By the way...may I pose a question to you, Ensign?

Image Eh, to me?

Image Yes. Between myself and Sakura, what sort of woman do you prefer?

Image Won't you tell me, Ensign?

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

Image What sort of woman I prefer...well..

Image Sumire, don't be like that. You're putting him in an awkward position.

Image I would hardly think there is any room for debate on the matter...I will let it slide for now, I suppose. Well, I must be off.

Image I should go too. See you lare, Ogami.

Image Yeah, sure.

Image Ogami...I'm kind of relieved, but also a bit disappointed...what a complicated feeling this is.

Girl, it's been like two hours since we met, pump the brakes.

Image ...Well, I should get going.

Image Sakura...

Image I'm not making any progress here. Maybe I should go to the director's office and talk to General Yoneda.

Yeah, we probably oughta just talk to the bos--SUMIRE'S LETTER.

Ah gee.

*Knock knock*

Image Yes? Who's there?

Image Um...it's Ogami. Do you have a minute?

Image I'm right in the middle of changing. Could you wait just one moment, please?

Image Gulp...she's changing?

Hand on God, it makes you wait a whole 10 seconds and it's kind of a good joke to pull on the player.

Image Such impeccable patience is nothing less than I'd expect from a military officer.

Image It was nothing, hahaha...

Image By the way...did you have some need of me?

Image While I was taking tickets earlier, I was entrusted this letter by someone calling himself a devoted fan. I figured I should pass it along to you. Here you are.

Image Goodness! You went to such trouble for my sake?

Image You have my deepest thanks, Ensign.

Image Still, why would a member of a secret troop like this receive fan mail?

Image Why, beauty such as mine can hardly be hidden away from the rest of the world. Wherever I go, I have fans. It's not especially surprising.

Image I-I see...

Image I've still some matters of my own to attend to, so I will take my leave. Thank you ever so, Ensign.

Image ...I guess that patron ought to be satisfied now.

Image The more I wander around this place, the more it seems like an ordinary theater...

Let's see what Yoneda has to say about all this.

Image Nice to meet you. You're Ogami, right? I'm Kasumi Fujii, the theater's office manager. I'm sorry to impose, but would you mind coming with me to the secretary's office to fill out some new-hire forms?

K-Kinda busy...

Image I'm a little busy at the momoent...could it wait until later?

Image I'm afraid it's regulation, but it shouldn't take too long. I hope you understand.

Image I-I understand.

You gotta do the onboarding, Ogami. I know it's boring, but you get paid to watch videos.

Image Then I'll guide you there. This way, please.

Image I do the theater's office work. I'm looking forward to working with you!

Image The pleasure's all mine.

Image No problem. Let's see...will this do?

Image Yes, that's fine. Thanks very much. Director Yoneda is in his office, right next door.

Image Thank you.

Image All right, time to head for the director's office.

Image Ah, hello?...Yes, yes, hello.

Image He's on the phone...

Image Yes, he's here...just a littke while ago. Well, I'm going to wait a bit longer, see how things shake out...But you know, Hanakoji...the matter of this secret corps is a tough pill to swallow.

Image We force girls onto the battlefield, while all we go is sit back and watch. Frankly...it's humiliating. And yet, right now they are the only ones who can operate the Koubu. That's why I'm making it a point to protect these girls, while giving them as much freedom as possible.

Image If only we could make use of that young one...Oho, looks as though he's come by to complain. Well, goodbye for now...

Image Sounds like he finished the call. Please excuse me! Ogami, reporting in!

Image How's your work going? Have you gotten the hang of punching tickets all right?

Who was on the phone?

Image Commander, who were you speaking to just now?

Image Count Hanakouji, as it happens. The man who recommended you for this position. He wanted to make sure you weren't shirking any of your new duties.

Image I see. Actually, I have a question for you regarding that, Commander.

Image I'm supposed to be captain of this Imperial Assault Troop, right? What are my duties? Actually, before you answer that...This IS the Imperial Assault Troop, right? It looks like a regular theater!

Image Hm? Ogami, I think you're misunderstanding something here...Take a good long look at the plaque above my head.

Oh no

Image Imperial...Assault TROUPE...?! Whaaat?! Like a troupe of actors? This isn't a misprint or something, is it?

We've been done in by a kanji pun!

So the kanji on the plaque read "Teikoku Kagekidan." Both of them. But until now, Ogami was reading the name with kanji meaning, well, a battle troop. But aha, actually it is a theater troupe! The name of the Teikoku Kagekidan is based on the Takarazuka Kagekidan, more commonly known as the Takarazuka Revue. It's also a theater troupe of all women! The fan translation uses Imperial Assault Troop/Troupe to retain this joke, but current official translations use Imperial Combat Revue, not having to worry about this one pun that matters for the first half hour of the game, tying more of a direct reference to the Takarazuka Revue, and also personally, I think Combat Revue is a bit catchier. For the most part, I'll be using Troupe for parity with the fan translation text, but I may use Revue on habit, and it's interchangeable.

Image Sorry m'boy, this is the real deal.

Image I could have sword the documents said I'd been assigned to secret assault force. Did I read it wrong?

Image Well, the performances we put on here sure are an assault on the senses. Bah ha ha ha! And as for secret...Well, you didn't know a government-run theater like this existed before, did you?

Image Gaaaah! I can't believe this!

Bamboozled! The wool over our eyes!

Image Ha ha ha! Take some time, let it all sink in.

Image The top-secret squad is just a bunch of actors? This is all way too bizarre. Am I dreaming?

Image Oh, Sakura...

Image You look so pale...I think you should take a break. Do you remember the way to your room. If you like...I could accompany you.

Yeah, that'd be nice.

Image That would be great. I'm so confused right now I barely know what I'm doing.

Image Are you sure you're going to be all right? Maybe you'll feel better if you rest up a little. Let's get you back to your room.

Image Thanks for the help. Sorry to make you worry about me.

Image Huh...?

Image Oh, it'd nothing, really. I-if you'll excuse me, I have a performance to prepare for...

I didn't really get to ask Sakura about the Troo--Troupe, so...

Image If you have some time, would you like to come in? There's something I'd like to discuss with you.

Image ...I'm very sorry. The performance is due to start any minute now. I really would like to spend some more time with you, but duty calls.

Image Oh, I see. That's fine, I understand. Break a leg out there. And thanks again for coming this far with me.

Image You''re welcome! I'd better get going.

Image ....Yeah, I guess I should rest up a little.

Image Ogami...

Image Huh? Oh, Sakura. Did you need something?

Image I...Well...Cheer up, Ogami! That gloomy expression you're wearing doesn't suit you at all. When I think back to the way you were when we first met back at Ueno Park, that's the way I...

Again, that was like...this morning.

Image Sorry, I've said too much. I should get going.

Image No, I'm the one who should apologize. It's just...You have your roles to play here, parts only you can perform. But what about me? I don't feel like I'm doing anything to safeguard the capital.

Man, entry level jobs were a lot easier in the 20s. The 1920s, not the 20s we're in now.

Image It didn't even matter what my assignment was. I'd be satisfied with any post if it meant protecting the capital. I thought I was taking control of a crack assault force, so when I found an exclusively female theater troupe, well.. Does my being here help protect our nation's peace at all?

And that brings us to our first intermission, where we get a chance to drop a save.

We can also check on the status of how the girls like us. Right now they're all pretty neutral. As the game goes on, we'll also be able to see which girl we have the most affinity with.

Next time, we gotta figure out what we're doing here.

Did you know that in the conceptual phases, the project that would become this game was just called Sakura (桜)? When proper development began, the name Sakura Wars (サクラ大戦) was chosen due to difficulties trademarking the generic word Sakura, which is also why Sakura is spelled out in katakana in the final name.
Last edited by Waffleman on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

At first I thought something like this wouldn't interest me, but now I want to see more.

There are a few technical mistakes in the updates: Some portraits don't work (most notably, there are several instances of "sumire-normal" instead of her portrait), and every screenshot past certain point in update 2 seems to be one "station" below where it should be. Could the reason for this be the faulty screenshot #063? That's where the problem starts.

Edit: Oh, and another thing that I didn't think of now because it's in the first update and I read that yesterday without posting: The links to the "Incident at Ueno Park" and "Meet [Character]" videos don't work, they just lead back to the top post.

I hope I don't sound rude with all these complaints.

Bah, combination of a new workflow for BPix and using older update files. All fixed.

I vaguely remember there was a Sakura Wars LP that took about a decade and never finished. Hopefully this one will go more smoothly!

Also the Taisho era was pretty neato and more stuff should be set in it.

1-3 - The Bear Necessities

Night's fallen on the theater.

Image (I'm tired, but I can't seem to fall asleep...Maybe it's because I'm not used to the bed...It's almost 12:00...)

I guess Ogami just kinda had a depression nap all day and woke up at like midnight. Mood.

There's a knock at the door.

Image (Wha...? Who in the world could it be at this late hour?)

Image Ogami...? It's me, Sakura...

Image Sakura? Just a second. I'll open the door. (What's she doing here at this hour?)

Image It was a huge success.

Image By the way...what is it, this late at night?

Image Well, Ogami...Manager Yoneda instructed me to...to have you handle nighttime rounds in the theater.

Image Nighttime...rounds?

Image Yes. I know it's terribly short notice, but I hope you understand...

Not like we're gonna be able to sleep.

Image Sure! You can count on me! I was having trouble getting to sleep anyway. Exercise will help with that.

Image Really...? T-Thank you for being so considerate! Well then, shall we go?

Image Huh?! You're coming with me?

Image Of course! After all, you don't know your way around the theater yet. So I'll accompany you!

Image Thanks. I'll be counting on you.

Image And I you. Now let's get moving!

Nighttime rounds will be a good portion of our free time in the theater. We'll usually be on a sort of timer, each room counting down until we gotta go to sleep. Luckily for you, I'm using a guide so I can see just about everything. There's also time here for us to just look around a bit, too.

Let's head to the library first.

Image Sakura, sir...What are you up to at this hour?

Image We're on the night watch. What are you doing up, Maria?

Image I came to return a book I borrowed.

Maria, it's not like an actual library with due dates. Maria it's midnight, surely this could have waited until morning.

Image Ohh, what did you borrow?

Image It's Crime and Punishment...

Maria I know you're Russian but like you can read a Japanese book. Might I recommend I Am A Cat?

Image Crime and Punishment, huh...If I'm not mistaken, that's Dostoevsky, right?

Image Wow, Ogami! I'm impressed!

[maria-smile] Well, I'll be on my way. Sakura, sir, I'm leaving the watch in your hands. Good night.

Image Let's continue our rounds, Ogami.

We'll head over to the main stage area and do a little roundabout.

Ogami, you lost her already?

Image Come here and take a look outside, Ogami...

Image I think the lights of the city are amazing...

It's pretty cool. Also remember, this is the early Taisho period where urbanization is still early in Japan. Once you get out of the major cities, it's basically back to samurai times.

Image What makes you say that?

Image Well, they're not meant to be decorative or artistic, but each one shines so beautifully. And together they show us this breathtaking view. I want to shine on the stage, just like one of those lights...

Image ...

Image I want to be a warm and strong light...the kind that shines the way for the people in the streets.

Image Well now, let's continue our rounds.

Heading down, let's take a peek at the gift shop.

Image Doesn't look like anything is out of place. Let's keep moving.

Iris, it's way past your bedtime.

Image What's the matter, Iris? What are you doing up?

Image Mon Frère...Sakura...

Image What's wrong, Iris? Come here and tell us what's going on.

Image Um...I can't find Jean-Paul...I think maybe I left him somewhere...*sniffle*...My poor Jean-Paul...*sniffle*...He's all alone...

Image Iris...

Image Don't worry, Iris. Tomorrow when it's light you should be able to find him right away. But it's late now, so you need to get to bed.

Image *sniffle*...OK...I'll go to bed...

Image It would help if we knew where Iris spent the afternoon...Ogami. Let's get going, shall we?

Well, the last place I saw Iris was backstage.

Not particularly.

Image Ah! Ogami! Over there, it's Iris' Jean-Paul!

Image Oh good...let's go give it to her.

Let's go check the stage real quick, see if there's anyone up to stuff.

Image (Here I thought the 'Imperial Assault Troupe' would be a combat unit...I guess this is someone's idea of a joke.)

Image Is something wrong, Ogami?

Image No...It's nothing. Doesn't look like there's anything out of place here. Let's keep moving.

Isn't there supposed to be an actual night watchman?

Image And now I'm the security guard. Man, wasn't I supposed to be protecting the whole capital...?

Image ...Let's go, Ogami.

We've lollygagged enough. Let's get Iris her bear back.

Image Iris has quite a lot of stuffed animals in her room.

Knock knock.

Image Iris...It's Sakura. Please open up.

Image Here you go, Iris. We found Jean-Paul. It seems you left him in the music room.

Image Ah! Jean-Paul!

Image You shouldn't leave your beloved friends behind.

Image Mon Frère...Sakura...Thank you so much!

Image Well, it's late, so...Good night.

Image ...Good. Now Iris will be able to sleep peacefully.

Image Yes. I'm really glad we found it. Well, shall we continue our rounds?

Image Ah, look at the time...

Image It's getting quite late, Ogami. Shall we end our rounds here?

So this is telling us our free time is almost over. We can choose to end it here, or do a bit more.

Image Let's keep doing rounds. There are other places I want to check.

Image OK. We'll do rounds for a little bit longer. But the lights will go off soon. I think we can only check 3 more rooms...

Image I'll keep that in mind. Let's go.

Well, we can check on the other two girls...

Yeah, it's midnight, to be expected.

We'll end the night checking out the salon.

Image So this is where you all go to relax.

Image Right. I'd love to stop and drink some tea here, but...We're on duty at the moment...let's keep going.

Image Oh dear, look at the time...

Image Oh, OK.

Image Well then, shall we return to our rooms?

Sure, good night.

Image Yeah, OK. Thanks for all of your help today. ...Good night.

Image It's no probem at all, Ogami. Just try to cheet up, OK?

Image ...Mmm hmm.

Image Well, good night.

Image ...I guess I'll head to my room.

Image It's the dead of night...I'd better get some sleep.

Good morning.

Image I think they said we have the day off. That means I get a break from ticket-clipping duty. Well then...What should I do?

Let's head to the desk just to get a better sense of the place.

Image I've got lots of free time, so I'll check out the Reception Desk.

Image OK, I'll try talking to her...

Image Morning! Are you taking it easy today?

Image I wish I could, but I have rehearsal onstage right now. I plan to rehearse the whole dance with Sakura one more time.

Image ...That sounds fun. I'm jealous.

Image ...Honestly, I don't enjoy rehearsals. But it wouldn't do for a star such as myself to make a mistake during a performance. Well, I'm needed onstage soon...Please excuse me.

Image ...Rehearsal, huh? Lucky you. I've got nothing to do and I'm bored stiff!

You could always go out into the city, it's not like the entire game takes place in this building.

Image Hey, Iris.

Image Hey, Mon Frère? Let's all go to the flower-viewing festival soon.

Image That sounds nice. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom in Ueno Park yesterday.

Image Yeah...But I'm more interested in spending time with you.

Image Is that so? ...Thank you.

Ogami you need to start establishing boundaries.

Image That's what they call "toys over flowers," right?

Image I think you mean, "boys over flowers."

DON'T ENCOURAGE HER.

Image Eheheh...Oh, OK. ...Well, I'm gonna go now! Bye bye, Mon Frère!

Let's go downstairs.

I live here now, Maria. I can be places.

Image H-Hey, Maria...

Image ...Tell me, sir. Are you unhappy with your job here?

You know, I slept on it, and...I dunno, I think working in a theater could be cool. Disappointed, maybe. But not unhappy now.

Image ...Frankly, it perplexed me at first, but now I'm happy with it.

Image Is that so? But you were transferred here as captain of a covert squad, were you not? Or have you forgotten that already?

Image Of course not! I was sent here to be Captain of the Imperial Assault Troop! I'll do any job asked of me. Even clipping tickets.

Ogami, the U.

Image But I haven't forgotten my duty to protect the capital!

Image Oh...? I am relieved to hear that. Well then, I must go to rehearsal. Please excuse me. Sir, everyone in the Flower Division will be rehearsing onstage. Please stop by and watch us.

Image ...I've got some free time. I think I'll head to the stage and watch everyone rehearse.

Next time, we'll see just what goes into a production of the Troupe.

Did you know that this game took three years to make, double the initial estimate?

Is it just me or is Iris levitating? Her head is at the same level as the other pilots, giant bow not counted, but she's clearly smaller.

Obviously Ogami's just leaning down when he talks to her.

1-4 - The Secret of the Troupe

Image Sakura! Your footwork is all wrong!

Oh dear, what's going on now?

Image Wow, they're hard at work...Each brilliant performance is the result of everyday rehearsals like this one.

Image Uwah!

Image H-Huh?!

Watch Video: Rehearsal With The Flower Division

Hey Sumire, you good?

Well, there's your problem.

Image Didn't anyone teach you that it's impolite to step on someone's kimono?

Image Please forgive me.

Image Honestly...This is why I can't stand country girls. So vulgar,

Okay girls, calm down, it's just a play.

Image Why you brat! Sakura! If words won't get through, perhaps my hand will!

Ogami, you're the captain, do some leadership!

Image Hey, you two! Stop fighting!

Image E-Ensign?!

Image O-Ogami! Look out!

DESTROYED.

Image O-Ogami!!! I'm so sorry!

Image Ensign...what are you doing here?

Image Stopping you two from fighting. I don't know much about theater, and I didn't intent to interrupt your rehearsal. However, teamwork is important in a troupe, right? ...So stop fighting.

Image Mon Frère...

Image ...

Image I understand. I'm sorry, Ogami.

Image ...Good! Well then, I'll be going now...

Image Ah! Ogami!

Welp time to go, wait what?

Image Hm?

Image Sakura...?

Image May I tell you something?

I mean, why wouldn't?

Image Sure. What is it?

Image the Captain of the Flower Division must be more than a mere soldier; that we mustn't continue to fight battles in which human lives are sacrificed for the sake of victory; and that the person who serves as Captain must truly love the Flower Division, this theater, and working here...

Image That's why he made you ticket clipper.

Image ...Is that so?

Image Please cherish this theater and our troupe...And please lead us into battle as our Captain!

Wait battle but isn't this a

Image Battle...? Against who?

Image W-Well...

Oh no, an alarm is going off at an inconvenient time!

Image Huh?! What's that alarm?

Image Ogami, we must move out!

Image Move out?! What do you mean?

Image The Flower Division of the Imperial Assault Troop is moving out! Let's go!

Watch Video: Assault Troupe, Suit Up!

Wheee.

That's a quick change.

Wow, these are some spiffy uniforms.

Image Well done!

Image Manager Yoneda...and the whole troupe...What is this?!

I'm extremely confused!

Image I'm sorry for deceiving you. But I wanted to ensure that you were qualified to be captain of a covert squad.

We've been done in once again by a test of worthiness!

Image W-What is this place?!

Image The core of the Imperial Assault Troupe...The underground Command Room.

Image Manager Yoneda, you mean the covert squad is real?!

Image Of course! The theater troupe is merely a facade.

For what purpose. I don't get what benefit it has.

Image So, I'll introduce you again. They are members of the Flower Division. They'll be your subordinates.

Image As new members of the Imperial Assault Troupe, let's do our best!

Girls it's not the time.

Image Now we'll see whether or not you have the skills to be captain.

Someone's got their head on, at least.

Image ...I understand. Let's all do our best! Commander, who is our enemy?

Image I'm sure you've heard rumors of them. They're a mysterious organization that terrorizes the capital with mechanical soldiers called "Hex Mechs." They are known as...the "Hive of Darkness."

Image Hive of Darkness?

Image Sakura beat up a Hex Mech in Ueno Park the day she came to Tokyo!

Oh, that was what that was.

Image Iris! That was supposed to be a secret!

Image What? You mean it was Sakura who defeated that monster?!

Image Correct. However, a human can only do so much against a Hex Mech. That's where we come in. We have a powerful weapon at our disposal. Let me show you the underground hangar.

Image The Imperial Assault Troupe's secret weapon! The "Koubu" Spirit Armor!

Never heard of 'em.

Image Yes. Think of it as mechanical armor that can only be used by those with powerful spiritual energy. By which I mean the members of the Flower Division...and you. ...Now then, the white Koubu is yours. Go ahead and get inside it.

Image The enemy's been spotted in the same part as last time, Ueno Park. Use our bullet train to get there!

Image Yes, sir!

Image I don't have a Koubu yet, so I'll be staying behind...Do your best, Mon Frère!

Iris will not be joining us in battle for quite a while, actually.

Image Ogami, give the order to move out! We must protect Ueno Park from the Hive of Darkness!

Let's go!

Image Flower Division, move out! Target area is Ueno Park!

Image Roger!

Image Koubu activated!

Image Imperial Assault Troupe is moving out!

They all got points up for that.

Watch Video:Engaging for Battle

I hope you like shots of machinery!

I'm getting dizzy! Someone get me off this thing!

We get another intermission before the battle.

At the Status screen before battles, we can see how the girls' moods affect their stats. Better mood, better boosts.

Next time, our first battle!

Did you know the Assault Troupe uniforms are based on tuxedos?

Waffleman wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:58 pm
I'm really wondering if that second option is a pun that didn't quite translate.

I love the Flower Division's battle uniforms. Stylish and somewhat practical!

rujasu wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:08 pm
I'm really wondering if that second option is a pun that didn't quite translate.
I think it's just a reference to what Iris was saying earlier about the flower viewing festival going on.
clearcardinal wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:33 pm
I love the Flower Division's battle uniforms. Stylish and somewhat practical!
Big fan of the cravat.

Somehow I get the feeling that we'll wind up with Sakura by default if we try to min-max stats by making everyone happy, simply by virtue of there likely being more possible events with her.

Once we've met all 5 members of the Revue, I'll try to focus on the one people like the most. I'm just trying to keep it even here as a control.

The tuxedo-based uniforms do help give them some more Takarazuka-like energy, I think (from what I know of it). Plus it's just cool-looking in general.

LPFinale wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 pm
Somehow I get the feeling that we'll wind up with Sakura by default if we try to min-max stats by making everyone happy, simply by virtue of there likely being more possible events with her.
I would be incredibly surprises if that were not the case, later games (and I assume this one too) will devote one chapter to each one so that they have a chance but the first girl is usually both the easiest to please and has the most time to do so.

They do kinda do it, but not every girl gets their own specific chapter.

But like I said, I'm not gonna be min/maxing every girl for the entirety of the game. There's just advantages to keeping everyone happy.

Holy shit, a new Sakura Wars LP! I remember coming into the other one like, halfway through what was up. It actually convinced me to buy So Long My Love, which I liked a lot! I'm wishing you luck on this one, if only because I finally want to know how this one ends.

1-5 - The Battle of the Flower Viewing Festival

OH NO

They're ruining everything!

And who are these clowns?

Image The capital is ours!

Image Let us build a mountain of corpses as a warning to all that would oppose us. What say you, Lord Satan?

Image Heh heh heh...

Of course your name is Satan. Why the heck wouldn't it be?

Image You..!

Image ...

Image Interesting...Everyone, let me handle this.

Image Ooh, this should be good.

The other three disappear, leaving us with the Christian Devil But Not.

Image Come at me anytime!

Image Ensign Ogami, those are members of the Hive of Darkness. Everybody pay attention. I'm going to explain how to operate your Koubu.

So I did do the tutorial here, but I'll just explain it quicker as we go.

So welcome to Sakura Wars' battle system. It's a pretty basic tactical RPG. Every character gets a turn where they can perform up to two actions, actions being split into three main categories. The first category is moving, which should be obvious.

Movement ranges depend on the character and can be increased or decreased based on their mood.

The second category of actions is attacks, with normal attacks and special attacks.

Normal attacks are just normal attacks.

Sakura and Ogami are both sword users and can attack one square in front of them in any direction.

Sumire's naginata can reach up to two squares in front of her.

For her neutral special, Maria uses a gun and can fire up to 5 squares in front of her.

You'll need to get a good sense of your characters' ranges if you want to make the most of your action economy. Most of the time, foot soldiers will take about two normal attacks to go down, occasionally a single attack if you get lucky with a critical hit.

You can also do powerful special attacks, which have different properties than your normals.

Maria's special attack, used in the tutorial, has about the same range as her normal, but on hit has a four square splash effect that can target multiple enemies.

They all also come with special cinematics! A special attack will take down most normal enemies in one attack.

You can only use a special attack with a full Willpower bar, which is the red bar that appears below unit health. Both you and some enemies have willpower that you can use for special attacks. The main ways of gaining willpower are getting hit and resting, which is our first Defense action.

Special attacks are best saved for crowd control and boss-type enemies, when you need that big damage.

Our next Defense action is healing. Each unit gets a couple heals that they can use in each fight, either on themselves or adjacent units.

As the game progresses, more ways to raise health will come to us.

The last main action is a simple guard, which reduces your damage taken. It's your general "I have nothing else I can do on this turn" action. You can also get some information about the battlefield or end your turn early. Additionally, Ogami has a special action he can take where he tags another unit, and the next time that unit is attacked, Ogami will take the hit and neutralize the damage. It's pretty useful later on and can also increase affinity.

Now that we're done with all that, we can take out the mooks in the park pretty easily and make our way across the bridge to Mr. Satan.

Image Hm?

Image It feels strange fighting here.

Oh yeah, this is where we first met. It's like poetry.

Image This is where I first met you.

Image Hehe...that's right. Strange that we're having out first battle together where we first met...or maybe it's destiny...

Hey Sakura? Demon. Head in the game. Head in the goddamn game.

Once we get our first hit in on Satan...

Oh, sending Sakura over there might have been a mistake.

M-Mind the emulation.

Sumire's special has a nice AOE spread around it.

Aha, this is the perfect formation!

Ogami's special is just his normal range, but hey, this is as good a time as any to talk about how Ogami has a voice now! Yeah, in the novel scenes, Ogami is silent as is the ADV tradition, but in battle, he has voice lines provided by Akio Suyama, probably known for Cytomander in Gurren Lagann and Zagi in Tales of Vesperia.

And that's it for Satan.

Image We'll settle this another day, Imperial Assault Troupe!

Image They got away...but, we were able to protect the Capital!! Let's return to base, everyone!!

Image Just a moment, Ogami. It's not time for the Flower Division's curtain clal just yet!

Image Wh-What?!

Image Ready~

We did it!

A short save screen later...

I hope nobody is giving the child alcohol. Sumire looks in a rough way.

Image ...But, sir, why do you keep everything about the Hive of Darkness top secret?

Image Oh, come now, Ogami. What do you think would happen if we didn't? Riots, that's what...We'd be playing right into their hands. No matter what, we must fight them in absolute secrecy!

Image I see. So that's what makes it a secret squadron.

I have to wonder what the cover story is for all the robots in the park, then. I believe the later games in the series still flirt with the idea of the Revue being secret, but it becomes harder and harder to swallow until Shin Sakura Wars just abandons the idea entirely and makes them common knowledge.

Image Thank you so much for today.

Image No problem. Thank you too, Sakura.

Image It's a good thing you were here, Ogami. I'm looking forward to working with you again, Ogami!

Image You can always rely on me!

Image G-Got it.

Hey, we did a good job.

Image Y'know...I like you an awful lot, Mon Frère. I'll let you be my boyfriend, so don't go cheating on me!

:|

Image Hahaha, thanks.

:|

Aw damn she's become Joker.

Image (How can you get drunk on amazake? It's just light sake!)

Image Hm, hmhmhm...Come on, Ensiiiign, let'sh keep drinking!

Image Chug ut, chug it all down! Ogami! You're on ticket duty again tomorrow!

Image Eee?!

And of course the sitcom laughter ends us off.

Watch Video: Episode 2 Preview

Did you know that during the prototype phase of the game, two tabletop RPGs were developed to help conceptualize the battle system?
Last edited by Waffleman on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A note: Some of the screenshots are supposed to be out of chronological order for me to show off all the mechanics at once, since there wasn't a whole lot else to talk about during this particular fight. I apologize if it's a bit hard to follow as a result.

I've added a note in the update text as such and may look into redoing that portion in the future.

Honestly didn't have a hard time following that at all, but hey if you think it could've been better, do what makes you happy.

I'll mostly look at it when I'm doing the fight for the next episode, since I'm still feeling out how to present the battle parts.

Turns out I had a couple image tags off and it messed up the images. It's fixed now.

2-1 - The Eccentric Genius

Watch Video: The Four Lords of Death

It's a Buddhist thing, it's a Buddhist thing, it's a square and not a diamond.

Image How may we be of service?

Image What was the meaning of that debacle, you imbeciles?!

Image Well, a mysterious group called the Imperial Assault Troupe thwarted our plans...

And we'll do it again, twerp.

Image I do not want excuses!

Wow, you're big.

Image The fact is they are quite skilled...

Image Silence, Satan! We are supposed to be invincible! I've devised a way to destroy the capital's barrier! ...A spell call the "Hexagram of Infernal Summoning."

It's not catchy, but it IS descriptive.

These guys really have it out for the parks.

Image Yes, master!

Image Wait! This time I shall come along. I'm sure you would like to watch me fight. Don't you agree, Satan?

Image Yes, master...

I'm sure that's fine.

Back to the theater.

Image I still can't believe they put me to work punching tickets...

Image Hi, Sumire. What's up?

Image A new member will be joining us today. I came to check on things before the play begins. However, it seems she hasn't arrived yet.

The constant creep dialogue options weigh heavy on my soul.

Image What's her name?

Image Kohran Li. Everyone just calls her "Kohran," though.

Image Kohran Li...?

Image Yes. She was born in China but speaks with a Kansai accent.

Kansai being the dialect of the area containing Osaka.

Image I see...

Image Ah, look at the time! I'm needed onstage. Please excuse me.

Image So I guess we're getting a new member. Apparently she's been here before. I wonder what she's like?

Watch Video: The Eccentric Genius

Get your motor runnin'

Not like that!

Image W-Whoa! What was that racket?

Watch Video: Meet Kohran

It's the next member of the troupe, Kohran! Kohran is voiced by Yuriko Fuchizaki, who also played Kaori in Akira, Ket in Kiki's Delivery Service, and three different characters in three different adaptations of City Hunter.

Image Y-Yes...

Image *Cough* Jeez Louise...My Steam Bike's trashed...

I like her already.

Image U-Um...

You good?

Image ...Are you OK? Oh, and just who are you, anyway?

Image I'll be living here from now on. Nice to meetcha! Anyways, who are you?

Image I'm Imperial Japanese Navy Ensign Ichiro Ogami. You could say I'm the captain-in-training of the Imperial Assault Troupe.

Image Oh, so you're our captain...Kohran Li reporting for duty, sir! I recently transferred here from the Hanayashiki Branch, sir!

You said that already.

Okay, whatever.

Image I'll be happy to escort you. This way, please.

Image Much obliged, Ensign Ogami...

Image Oh, what about your bike...?

Image No worries! I always carry a repair kit with me just in case!

Image I'll have it fixed in a jiffy!

Well, let's get on our way.

Image It's rare to see a guy pilot one. You must be a real hotshot! By the way, Mr. Ensign. You went up against the Hive of Darkness, right? How'd it feel?

I've only done it once, so I dunno.

Image It was no big deal. We handled it just fine.

Image Heh! You've got guts! I like that.

Image Don't get too cocky, though. We don't know what'll happen next. By the way, the Hive of Darkness are remnants of the Tokugaway regime who wanna overthrow the government.

They look like demons to me but sure, I guess.

Image We've got to stop them.

Over to the office now.

Image Man, it has been a while since I last saw the old man...

Image Ogami!

Image Hmmm? That voice?

Image Yes. This time I am co-starring with Maria.

Nice outfit.

Image I'll be playing a girl from the streets this time. How do you like my outfit?

Image It really suits you. Very cute!

Image You think so? ...Thank you.

Image It really is! totally cute.

Image ....Ogami? Who is that?

Image Hi there! I'm Kohran Li! I just arrived here from the Hanayashiki Branch. Nice to meet you!

Image You two are going to be comrades in the Flower Division, so here's hoping you can be good friends.

Image Of course! OK, then...I have to get to the performance. Ogami, Ms. Li, if you'd excuse me.

Image Oh stop it with the "Ms. Li." That's way too formal. Just "Kohran suits me fine."

Image ...Is that so? Well, see you later, Kohran.

Image Sakura, huh? She seems like a nice girl. So how do you get along with her, Mr. Ensign?

The rookies gotta stick together.

Image Hm...Normal I guess. It's not like we're friends or anything.

I didn't say that!

Image You're not? Well, since you are both newbies, you didn't have many chances to get to know each other, I guess. ...By the way, Mr. Ensign, do you mind if I just call you Chief?

Ogami please stop vexing me.

Image Of course.

Image Thanks. I always have trouble calling Yoneda "Lieutenant General" too. I just love how relaxed the Flower Division of the Troupe is about things like that.

Image Yes, let's go in.

Image Come in!

Image It's Ogami, I'm coming in.

Image Ah Kohran! Good to have you back. I hope you'll not miss the Hanayashiki Branch too much.

Image Nah, as long as I get to tinker around with machines I don't really care where I am. Plus the captain here seems like a nice guy...

Image Well, look at that...you're one smooth operator, aren't you, Chief? Be careful or Sakura will get jealous.

I've known her for like a week, Yoneda.

Image Lt. General Yoneda...It's not like that!

Image Hahahaha! Well, thank you for your service. I'll have Maria fill her in on all the details, so you show Kohran to her room, Ogami. And after that, go to the administration office to help Kasumi.

Image ...Understood!

Heading upstairs...

Dapper!

Image Maria! You really DO look good in men's clothing. The Chief here is showing me to my room.

Image Is that so? I'll leave her in your hands then, sir.

Check them epaulettes.

Image That outfit is awesome. What role are you playing?

Image A French soldier named Andre.

Image I need to be at the stage and prepare for the show. Thank you for taking care of this for me.

OGAMI.

Image As a leader, that goes without saying. I'm only bringing her to her room, after all.

Image Oh, I don't think that's quite the case, sir. I don't think all leaders are as considerate as you.

Image She's right, Chief! You're helping me a great deal here.

Image ...I'm really sorry, Kohran, but the show is about to start very soon. When you're ready, just come to the dressing room. I'll go ahead.

You probably don't even know your lines!

Image Huh, you'll paticipate in the show, even though you just arrived?

Image Don't worry. I've been a member of the Flower Division for a while now. I'm used to making stuff up as I go. And besides, I only have a small role with barely any lines. Easy peasy!

Image Anyway. Thanks for showing me the way, Chief. See you later!

Ah crap.

Image Hm, that voice?

Image Yes. I just brought her to her room.

Image Yay! So she really is back! What do you think, Mon Frère? Do you like her?

I dunno, she's a bit inscrutable.

Image Hard to say. I just met her, after all.

Image ...I see. But I'm sure you'll get to know her soon!

Image Of course.

Image But, before I forget. Mr. Yoneda said you should help out in the administration office. Gotta go! See you later!

Oh shit right, the chores.

Image ...I guess I DID promist to help...I better go to the administration office, then.

Image OK, I'm here. What do you want me to do?

Image Got it. Leave it to me.

Image Phew! This is such a relief. Now I can go home without having to worry.

Image ...Huh?

Image Since we had the early shift today, Yoneda said we should leave the paperwork to you.

Image What!?

We've been done in by delegation of labor!

Image Wait a sec...

Image Am I really the captain here? Lately, I'm starting to doubt myself...

Ogami, we don't have time to deal with your impostor syndrome now, we'll pick up on it next time.

Did you know that each of the Flower Division are named after....flowers?

Sakura and Iris should be obvious.
Sumire's name is the Japanese word for the violet.
Maria's surname Tachibana, refers to a species of citrus fruits native to Japan.
Kohran's name contains the kanji for orchid.
Kanna's surname contains the kanji for the paulownia flower.

Oh hey, it's Suzaku, Seiryu, Byakko, and Genbu. Of course they're here too.

Why the heck wouldn't there be a Four Of 'Em?

Apologies for the radio silence, life's been life. I wanna try to have something up within a week.

Hey, we understand. Life always comes before the LP.

Apologies for the extended hiatus. Next update should be next week.

2-2 - The Koi is Mine

Image And thanks to that, I couldn't make the play...All right...about time to finish up my patrol.

Ah dang, I feel ya, Ogami. I'm so dang busy I can hardly do this LP.

*Knock knock!*

Image Huh? Who could it be at this hour?

Come in!

Image Come on in! I'm free now!

Image It's Kohran. Sorry to bother you, Chief.

Image What's up? You look like death warmed over. Did ya eat something nasty?

Image No...It's not that. I'm just a little worn out from today's work.

Image ....You OK? If I'm being a nuisance...

Image No, it's fine. But what did you want at this time of night?

Image Hmm? Well, first of all, did you see my play, Chief?

Aw gee.

Image ...I'm sorry. I was too busy to make it.

Image Aw, man...It was my first show and everything.

Image Oh well, no worries. I'm performing tomorrow too, so make sure to be there this time!

W-We'll try...

Image Yeah, sure thing. By the way, what did you want at this time of night?

Image Right, right, I forgot! Chief, you got anything else on your plate today?

Image ....Not really.

Hey whoa we've known each other for a day.

Image W-What kind of...fun?!

Image So, how about it? Come on, I'll be waiting in my room!

Image Hmm...what to do?

We get the choice to just go to bed but that would skip half of my footage here.

Now we're on patrol again, and I guess the first place we can think to go is Kohran's room.

Image ...Hey. Is that you, Chief?

Image It is. May I come in?

Image Sure, make yourself at home!

Damn, you live like this?

Image I had all my stuff sent over yesterday.

Let's look at her a bit.

Image Kohran, what does your hair look like without those braids?

Image Hehe, you wanna see, Chief? I don't wear them in the play I'm doing right now, so you can come see tomorrow.

Time to look at her face.

Image (I wonder what she'd look like with the glasses off..)

Absolutely not, Ogami. Rude. Let's look at her clothes.

Image That's a strange outfit, Kohran. How is it put together?

Image Oh come on, Chief. You can't explain that kind of stuff verbally!

Image B-By the way...What was this fun thing you wanted to do?

Image Right, I forgot. Chief, you want to play cards with me?

Ogami, please. Have you never had a lady invite you to her room for some cards?

Image Sure was. There's a game called Koi-Koi that's a blast once you get into it. If you don't know the rules, I can teach you while we're playing. How about it, Chief?

Can confirm, koi koi rules.

Let's learn Koi!

Image To think we're playing cards in my room! Just the two of us...Win or lost let's have some fun!

So each of us is going to be dealt eight cards in our hand, we're obviously on the bottom, and eight cards are laid between us in a pool.

Image Notice that the flowers match? Match a card in your hand with one in the pool to take them.

Hanafuda cards are separated into twelve suits of four cards each, representing a month of the year and denoted by a specific flower.

Image If it matches a card in the pool..

Kohran takes her turn, making a pair with the card from her hand, but since her drawn card does not make a pair, it is added to the pool.

Likewise, at the beginning of our turn, we do not have any matching cards in our hand, so one is discarded into the pool.

We keep going like that for a few turns until...

Image You have 3 cards with blue scrolls. That's 6 points! Awesome! Whoever scores a combo first, wins. In this case, that's you! You score the points of your combo.

There are 12 different combos and you can check them at any time while playing the minigame.

Image If you get a Boar, you'd get another combo. That would be 6 points. It would bring your total up to 12, right?

So we can either finish the round with the points we have, or try our luck for more and koi-koi. Koi-koi comes with its own risks, if your opponent gets a combo before you can get another one or the round ends when both hands are exhausted, you don't get ANY of those points!

But since it's the tutorial, we don't have to worry.

[05:37]
Watch Video: Koi Koi

You and I both have better things to do with our time than recount a whole five minute card game through screenshots. There's a video for ya. The minigame is best of three rounds/first to 10, whichever comes first. A full game of koi-koi is played for an entire 12 rounds, or yaku, for each month of the year.

Needless to say, I am a koi-koi master and triumph.

Image It was no problem. I really had fun.

Image Whoa, it's later than I thought. Sorry I held you up so long, Chief.

Image No worried, I had fun too...

Image For real? That's a relief. The truth is, I...was kind of worried.

Image Huh?

Image ...Kohran...

Image ...But now I can relax. Everybody in the Flower Division has made me feel welcome...And its captain has kept me company late into the night, despite being tired.

Image Kohran...

Image I'm glad as well.

Image Well, there's somewhere I'd like to go, so please excuse me. Good night, Chief.

Image ...So I guess I'll head back to my patrol work.

We'll finish up this patrol next time!

Did you know that Sakura Wars had Game Boy releases? Sega licensed out the IP to publisher Jupiter and developer Media Factory for two side games on the Game Boy Color. They linked to a special pedometer called the Pocket Sakura that used the same basic unit as the Pokemon Pikachu.