Let's Play Fire Emblem: Echoes - Shadows of Valentia: A Tale of Big Hurty Lightning

Put your Let's Plays in here.

Shall we use a Pitchfork for Act 2?

Oh yeah, reclassing here we come!
50%
No, it's too soon! No... it's... inconceivable!
50%

Total votes: 14

RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:40 am
Oh Clive. I'd probably like you better if you weren't utterly mediocre and didn't have one of the cringiest supports in the entire game.
Fun fact: Clive isn't just "utterly mediocre", he is genuinely the worst character from a stats perspective in this game. Practically everyone that can roll as a Cavalier will be infinitely better at the job than Clive can. Clive is just awful in comparison to SoV's entire playable cast, and yes, I am including the FE Cipher DLC characters in that comparison as well. IIRC, Clive also has the lowest sum total growths for the playable cast, just to drive it home how goddamn bad Clive is from a mechanical perspective. If you were wondering where Alm's actual "prepromote with bad growths that's carried by their bases for a hot minute" type unit was, well here he is. And boy howdy, does Clive not disappoint in that category.

On the other hand, he's the only unit that has managed to get back-to-back Resistance level ups in any of my runs. I have no idea how that happened, but somehow Clive managed the impossible and hit two consecutive 1% chances. :psyduck:

As for fountains: Give Gray all of the Defense.

So, what you're saying, is that while Mycen was the fakeout Jeigan, Clive is our sub-par Jeigan?

Being real, I haven't studied the stat averages too hard, but this all sounds about right for Clive. He's never had any good stats when I've used him, and in general, Cavs suffer from a lack of SPD in this game as all the lances are goddamn heavy. Given that the SPD margins in this game are just lower, even, or higher and nothing else, he's always at risk of being doubled by everyone.

I guess in a way, Clive's just a guy way in over his head and he's trying his best to not show it. Personally, he really just should stand back though.

I see the percentage voting really has people going all in on the votes, which is fun to see.

Clive definitely doesn't have the lowest growth totals of the playable cast (he beats Tobin as well as a few other characters we haven't seen and thus I can't talk about) but they're pretty down there and they way they're distributed speaks against him as well. I'm not 100% certain I'd call him the worst person in the playable cast (again the reasons go into territory we haven't seen), but there's no question that he is uh Down There and I use utterly mediocre to describe him because he doesn't even try to carve out even the basic semblence of a niche to even try to justify his bad stats or have the decency to be at least an amusing failure, he's technically useable due to how the system works but why would you ever bother unless you like the guy, and well, I did say he has one of the cringiest supports in the game so uh.

All the STR to Clair!

Honestly I kind of wish we hadn't had the obvious asshole leave to inevitably become a midboss, it would have been more interesting to be stuck with him pretty much the entire game and have to deal with/plan around his bullshit. Then again I imagine the demographic that would play a remake of an NES game deals with that enough at work as it is.

Also all this talk of cringy support chains is making me dread more Clive.

Tanegashima wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:01 pm
Honestly I kind of wish we hadn't had the obvious asshole leave to inevitably become a midboss, it would have been more interesting to be stuck with him pretty much the entire game and have to deal with/plan around his bullshit. Then again I imagine the demographic that would play a remake of an NES game deals with that enough at work as it is.

So here's an interesting fact, Fernand was originally planned to stay around and be a usable unit as part of Alm's story. That was eventually cut in favor of a DLC, but it is something. I personally think that dealing with his fuckery the whole time would really suck though, especially given what he'll do soon enough in the story. Honestly, we've already got Clive to slow us down as is.

I mean, they could've pulled a Shinon with him, I just don't know how much I'd actually want him on my team. Fernand is supremely unlikable, basically.

Clive's isn't the only cringy support, but Clive really does have just... ugh, we'll talk about it when we get there.

The Flying Twybil wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:56 pm
Tanegashima wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:01 pm

So here's an interesting fact, Fernand was originally planned to stay around and be a usable unit as part of Alm's story. That was eventually cut in favor of a DLC, but it is something. I personally think that dealing with his fuckery the whole time would really suck though, especially given what he'll do soon enough in the story. Honestly, we've already got Clive to slow us down as is.

I mean, they could've pulled a Shinon with him, I just don't know how much I'd actually want him on my team. Fernand is supremely unlikable, basically.
Basically. I wouldn't want to recruit Algus in FFT, and Fernand is basically one scene screaming about ANIMALS HAVE NO GOD away from that, even if he makes slightly more sense.

If they did go the Shinon route for Fernand, they'd probably have to create something like a Rolf counterpart or even a Gatrie counterpart to help flesh Fernand out. Or just better integrate Fernand into the Deliverance, because from minute one, SoV does everything it can to make Fernand stand out, and in a bad way. It just feels like they wanted to give Alm more named antagonists for his route, since the only ones he faced in the original were Desaix, Nuibaba and Rudolf, but like Slayde earlier, Fernand is made into "Generic asshole #15648" but now with a mildly sympathetic backstory that is meant to tie into the overarching story. But alas, that backstory doesn't really make up for the bad introduction and in-your-face assholery Fernand embodies. Like, I know we've been alluding to a future Clive support, but imagine what a (more than likely) Fernand/Clive support would have been like. I would rather not sit through three conversations of "Yes, Fernand is an asshole, but try to like him please?".

Shinon also has the advantage of some good comedic moments.

He’s a bastard but the base convo in PoR where he gets wasted and rants at Ike is both very entertaining and a good window into how he thinks.

Also the game doesn’t expect you to feel bad for him while I feel like they did expect you to feel bad at least a little for Fernand.

Update 9: Time To Meet Nearly Every Antagonist (Zofia Gate)

Update Contents

Music: Act 1 - Where the Wind Rustles | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Welcome back everyone! You may notice slightly more artifacting in the images today, and that's because I've tested out taking screenshots from a video instead. Even despite being .avi and eating up 16 GB on my hard drive, it doesn't seem to avoid artifacts entirely for some reason, but it does streamline the process a lot for me compared to my original method. Do let me know if it's too bothersome, though.

It's time to end this Act of the game, which also means it's time to kick Desaix's ass.

Before we do that though, we must make time for SWEET GAINS

Calculated from reader votes, Clair gets 2 ATK and Lukas gets 1 ATK.

On our way out, Gray gets this disappointing level.

Image Oh man, look at these muscles! Who wants to touch 'em?

Tobin at least gets ATK in his.

More interestingly, we've got some supports to do here as well, which I guess is more appropriate than doing them during the final battle of the chapter.

Image I would like to make a proposal. If you don’t like gossip, why don’t we talk about Sir Alm?

Oh no. Sorry Silque, but I think if anything, that's the last thing she'd talk about to anyone.

Image Talking about Alm isn’t fun unless Alm himself is there.

*She walks off*

Image Faye? ... Faye?

Poor Silque, she just wants someone to talk girl talk with. Unfortunately, she's really in the wrong army for that, I think.

Still, I mean, there's Clair?

Speaking of Clair, she's also got her support with Alm ready. That means some more Crit for her.

I really do like this game's font, I just wish the comma was more distinct.

Image And just what are you guffawing at? Such behavior is unspeakably boorish!

Image Sorry! Sorry. Very sorry.

(I mean, if we're gonna split hairs, why are you having a casual conversation on the battlefield in the first place?)

Image Wh— Bu— I say it! Oh, very well. How would our fearless leader have me greet him instead?

Image Ha ha! I’m not criticizing the way you speak, Clair.

I'd be willing to say that this exchange alone generated the majority Alm/Clair shippers out there. I don't blame them, these two dorks are just great together, but you should already be able to tell where this is going thanks to the prologue.

Anyways, that was about the last interesting thing to happen in this battle, so let's get to the real meat of the update.

Image We must wrest the castle from the chancellor’s grasp. Lead us well, Alm.

Image I’ll do my best.

You may note one familiar figure there on the map. It's been a long while since we've seen him, but rest assured he's still around.

And we also get to kick his ass.

Y'know, I could've sworn the Steel Lance was heavier than this, but I guess not. Either way, I swap Clair and Clive's weapons. She needs the damage more, and he's struggling with speed as is.

Python gets the Iron Bow given his speed is so low. I didn't mention it, but though Python's growths are usable, he comes a low enough level to make it hard to get use out of him.

With our preparation done, it's time to bring the fight to these jerks.

Music: Treason | Image YT Image KHin

Image I wonder who built this throne? It is marvelously comfortable! Why did I let it be wasted on that incompetent fool Lima for so long?

Meet Desaix. If you hadn't inferred it thus far, his voice acting and that lightly twirled mustache tells you every single thing you need to know about him.

Image And then I will rule from this throne as king of Zofia! But first, I must crush those worms in the rebel army. And worms they are…

Image And now they dare march on the castle? They will pay for this insult in blood! I must know what—or who—gave them this second wind…

Image We’ve captured a rebel in the forest. It’s Lor… It’s Fernand, sir.

Great, thanks. Good work there Fernand.

Image What?! But Fernand is Clive’s right-hand man. Why would he be wandering the woods without a detachment?

Image March, prisoner!

Image What’s this? Am I to believe you have left your precious “Deliverance”?

Image Deliverance… Pah!

Image Indeed. Clive has thrown all of our ideals at the feet of the unworthy.

Image Well, I say damn them all! There. You have my story. Now kill me and be done with it.

Image Ah… Now I see this for what it is. Rudolf, you villainous dastard…

Image Huh?

Image Silence! When I address you, you’ll know it.

Image Killing you would be…wasteful. Come with me. I will introduce you to your new master. A master more…befitting of your ideals.

Image New master? Wait—explain yourself!

Lots of foreshadowing going on here. Looks like Fernand is going to be betraying us, but really, who's surprised?

This game also has some good animated scenes. I'll do some gifs and some screenshots, but the FPS will be a bit lower than it is in game. These scenes do look really good all things considered.

I unfortunately don't have the music for this scene, so just imagine whatever you want.

He approaches the doors...

...and is surprised by the view, I suppose.

(Here's two more new characters. One is unimportant to the plot, and the other will be around a lot more, even if they don't accomplish much. I'll let you guess which is which.)

He's just dumbfounded by this dancing apparently.

(Well, anyways, here's them up close.)

The game especially wants you to see Dark Justin Bieber here.

Music: Tense Silence

Image You should hold your head high as you command us on this great day.

Image It will be a great day, won’t it? Fellow soldiers! Fight with me!

Image ... Fellow soldiers! Fight with me!

*Loud, raucous cheers*

Music: Prince of Darkness | Image YT Image KHin

Image What a disheveled herd of clodhoppers!

Oh boy, this guy. He and the girl from earlier are two new additions and while I can see what they were going for with them, I don't particularly like the execution of the idea.

Image I couldn’t agree more.

Image The Empire’s finest general need not trouble himself with such rabble. You may watch from on high as my finest troops cut them down like wheat.

This is a bit of an exaggeration.

Image War is horrible, and I will make no spectacle of it.

Image Heh heh. I jest, my dear.

He probably wasn't, and that should already tell you a good bit about this guy.

Image Yes, of course.

(I'll go ahead and say now though, this is not an exaggeration.)

Image It is a fine gift, my lord. You honor me.

Image You said the name of the Deliverance’s new leader is “Alm,” correct? And that he is of common birth? There is no mistake in this?

Image None, my lord.

Image Hmph. What nonsense.

Image Has a sheep any hope of leading wolves? No!

Image *gasp*

Image Truer words were never spoken, Lord Berkut!

(Yep, no question about it now, he's betrayed us now that he's found somebody with the same fucked up ideals as him.)

Image Still, I am surprised at Sir Clive. Tales of his exploits have spread as far as Rigel…

I just wonder how he became so celebrated in the first place.

Image The Deliverance has no future now. All of Zofia will soon belong to the Empire… Rinea!

Image I have a promise to make you, my dear. I will succeed His Majesty Rudolf and become the next emperor. I shall rule over the Valentian continent as I was meant to.

To be fair, I don't think most people would.

Image …It has begun.

Hey, if I'm not doing that, what's the point in me doing this LP? :V

Music: Battle Preparations - Deliverance | Image YT Image KHin

Hey, finally, preparation time. At least I've got a real reason to put this music up given that I've got some stuff to talk about here.

This map has two paths you can take, and also introduces doors. There's no lockpickers in this game, so you actually just unlock doors by getting behind them and turning the handle from there.

No, seriously.

This also means Clair is our lockpicking expert given that walls mean nothing to her.

Both paths lead to the same place, it's just that one is guarded by archers and the other isn't. In order to save time, we'll send one half our army up the other side and just send whoever can handle being shot at over here.

Their stats are the same as we've seen before.

This pile of angry red guys is where both of our bosses are.

The knight I've highlighted has mostly the class minimums, so our Lukas is still ahead of him. He won't be much of an issue though.

The line of cavaliers is underwhelming aside from their moverange.

Oh look who it is! Slayde's stats are actually pretty meh all things considered, mostly being at the Paladin's promotion minimums.

Here's the main event though.

Yes, you're reading those stats right. 22 ATK, 31 DEF, 20 RES, and a health regen of 5 per turn (not including the orange supply he's standing on).

He's also a Baron, the third and final level promotion for soldiers (Soldier -> Knight -> Baron)

(There is DLC for a fourth tier, but I'm not made of money, okay?)

Anyways, after some rearranging of units on my side, I think it's high time we put the boot to the Empire, don't you?

---

Music: Treason | Image YT Image KHin

Image ...but you have no hope of defeating me!

Image …Now, Slayde! Take the cavalry and run down every last one of those wretches!

Player Turn Music: March to Deliverance (Act 3) | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Enemy Turn Music: Air of Brutality (Act 3) | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

As a neat detail, they run this fight with the battle music for Act 3 which is decidedly more tense. This also means that last update was our last time hearing the Act 1 music.

Anyways, there's a lot of movement going on here that I'll cut out for the sake of brevity. We're already in nearly 80 screenshots and we've just reached the battle.

Clair, Lukas, Kliff, Silque, and Clive have all gone to the left, mostly because I won't be needing them as much to handle those archers.

She also opens the door to expedite this process.

Meanwhile, everyone else has been moving in on the right. Tobin, the presently better of our two archers stands just in range to lure out the enemy archers.

While the others catch up on the other side, Clair goes ahead and starts luring out cavs to punch on. She's a bit behind in levels, and the Peg Knight promotion is at 12. We won't be needing it soon, but we want her to keep up in strength with the rest of the team.

Time to see some real fighting.

Tobin gets hit, but he's tough.

He then returns one arrow, completely knocking the guy's helmet off somehow, and misses the other.

On the other side of the map, a cavalier takes the bait.

For the sake of it and in celebration of my new .gif tools, have a slightly lagged gif of them duking it out.

(The lag is from me streaming the video, and is pretty much unavoidable most of the time. Consequences of LPing a swan song game, I suppose.)

This gets Clair to top off with chip EXP, getting her a level that is only 50% useful.

I suppose in a way I'm being a bit harsh on SKL and LCK, because more Clair crits is nice, and given that fliers don't get terrain evasion bonuses, every point of dodge counts.

Image You bore me! Begone!

On our turn, she puts a stylish end to the cav.

If you think this is too much flapping, just wait until she promotes.

Tobin moves up to clear some room all while targeting some more archers. I make sure to bring Alm and Gray up first to make sure he gets those support bonuses.

It got one shot to land at least. I'm not going to complain about a 50% chance acting like a 50% chance.

Python uses superior range to try and put more hurt on one of these jerks, but he just misses.

Faye can take the hit, but I opt not to move her up for now.

On their turn, Python and the archer continue their duel, trading blows.

A new archer approaches Tobin and he returns the pain in double.

Alm sidehops an arrow because he's cool like that.

Back on our turn, Python does make the shot this time. His final blow taunt has him shrugging, though it's a bit hard to see here.

Image Ah, thanks.

Faye heals Python for some EXP.

Tobin continues his air raid, not getting the finisher, but at least reducing this guy to fleeing HP levels.

After that, everyone who's capable of doing so piles up in the center.

Image That's how it's done!

Tobin does manage to catch one of the archers with his absurd range.

Image Nice save!

Faye does more healing and gets a level. HP and ATK is acceptable.

This is why I've been actively showing Faye healing. This Physic is precisely the same as the one you're thinking of, yes.

If you don't know, Physic is the usual mid to late game healing spell in FE that sometimes heals a little less than the basic Recover/Heal, but trades that for having insane range.

In some games, Physic range is one to half the character's Magic stat in tiles. Here, we've got one to our ATK in tiles. This means that Faye's Physic range is already 10 tiles of distance. Lategame, this will usually be the entire map.

Even now, this means I can pretty much guarantee one heal per turn on nearly any unit.

Image Allow me.

I move Lukas to this specific spot right here. That red outline I'm trying to avoid is Slayde's aggro range. This spot right here (and the one symmetrically across from it) is guaranteed to let us around the corner and not end up in Slayde's aggro range.

Why am I tiptoeing around him like this? Well, I'll explain, but not right now. I've got a feeling you'll see why soon enough.

Before I end my turn, I go ahead and have Clair go punch on those soldiers that were up with the archers. The enemy archers only have basic bows and they're all retreating, so she's completely in the clear here.

Man, early Gaiden was like the best time to be a Peg.

After a little bit of movement fnagling on my part, it's the enemy's turn again.

Image Too late!

Image A glorious victory.

RIP you, Soldier.

Back on our turn, Lukas stealths around, I guess?

I mostly just want his help clearing out some cavs so the others can move in safely.

Image Thought you were clever, didn't you?

I'm not sure if there's anything funnier in FE than watching a Knight dodge somebody.

Image Well?

Another cavalier steps up and bites it as well. All the promotions have new animations, and depending on the character sometimes even new victory poses.

Like, even if the story's got problems sometimes, they went all out on this game. Compared to Awakening's hoof feet and recycled animation sets, the visual polish and budget here is pretty astounding,(although, there was 5 years of experience between then and now, as well as the impending close of the studio, so er, maybe that's not the most even comparison).

Anyways, Kliff starts to move in on the other side while Gray takes the spot Lukas was just in.

I'm still omitting a lot of movement stuff, by the by. This update's going to be overlong even with me making that effort, but I've got no choice.

Lukas continues to make these guys look like fools.

You may notice that Lukas is getting a hell of a lot more EXP from these nerds than our other units. Why?

Well, that's a conversation that will take me to one of my biggest talking points hidden in this game. Put short, the EXP curve is really goddamn strange compared to other FE games.

And believe me, when I say it's unusual, I'm not kidding there either. I both kind of like it, but also kind of hate it.

Kliff, despite being decently fast, is still having trouble catching up to his true potential. Pictured here is him being doubled just barely by these cavs because his magic is weighing him down. All things considered though, I haven't given him too many levels compared to other folks.

I know this seems like two perfect segues to talk about this odd level curve present in the game, but I've actually got other things to talk about that are more immediate.

Observe.

Yeah, so that robed guy that I so sneakily avoided showing at the beginning is an early introduction to something we'll be seeing more of in the game soon enough.

Before I do that though, look at Faye's healing range!

Also, the maps actually modeling distance is so cool.

Image There!

Image I'm a Forsyth to be reckoned with!

Also just gotta fit in this bit of Forsyth getting a win.

Er, so yeah, this guy. His defenses are rather good and his health is quite beefy, but being a mage type enemy, that's typical the decent defenses aside. Arcanists are the enemy's version of our male Mages, and if that isn't foreshadowing enough as is with that portrait, I don't know what to tell you.

Miasma is their basic attack, and it hits pretty hard as is, and it's only their weakest spell they'll end up having. They also have a copy of our healing spell, and they will use it all the time.

But enough alluding and sort of spoiling later content, let's fast forward a bit. Just keep in mind this jerk is also healing those units I weakened earlier.

After some battling and moving people up the side outside of Slayde's range, I've been luring out archers and the last living Cavalier.

I know I've already given Lukas enough attention today, but honestly he and Clair have been doing most of the work here today.

I wanted to show this off because not only is it a separate second finishing animation, it also shows off the really smooth dodging counterattacks.

This level is incredibly disappointing though. It's really not very palpable.

This is what is important, though. I'm presently luring in Slayde so I can weaken him to below half health and put him on retreat.

That sounds silly, but I'll get to why I'm doing that in a moment.

Music: The Fallen Knight | Image YT Image KHin

Also this track is the perfect level of dreadfully tense.

Image You’re those bumpkin brats from the village in Ram Woods.

Image Huh? …This is the knight who tried to kidnap Celica!

Image You whelps deprived me of a prize I most desperately needed. Hear me well, runts!

Image ...and today, I in turn shall deprive you of your lives!

Lukas didn't even need the shield for this.

Unfortunately, here is where everything goes wrong in this timeline.

Lukas would have dropped Slayde to precisely 10 HP had he hit both strikes, and it would've been perfect for my needs. Pavement makes for bad aiming, evidently.

So, now here is me weighing my options. The plan was to be cool and have Gray kill that archer, Clair kill the Arcanist, and then Lukas use Swap to switch places with her and block up the pathway. Then Faye would move in the way southwards and it would keep Slayde heavily delayed on his retreat to the oranges.

"But hey, Lukas can just get him to 1 HP which will be even better because he'll be stuck in recovery for longer!" I thought to myself.

But I was forgetting something.

Image This is farewell!

I forgot that this was the crittiest playthrough of any Fire Emblem game I've ever had.

Image This is neither the time nor place for me to die…

Well, that's a lot of EXP.

But why is this such a problem, you ask? I suppose it's about time I finally explain.

Image Damned rebels will rue this day.

Right, so remember how I said early on in the LP thread that I'd beat the bonus boss?

There he went, the coward.

Well, time to reset-

Stop right there!

Huh? Who are you?

I'm you from an alternate timeline! You can do that, remember?

Oh, right. I keep forgetting that thing exists.

Jokes aside, this at least gives me the perfect chance to show off Mila's Turnwheel in perhaps the most atypical way you could be expected to use it: sparing an enemy's life temporarily.

The Turnwheel, activated by that little gear button in the bottom right you may have seen a few times, starts with three uses and allows us to go back to any point in the battle. You might know it as a Divine thingamajiggit if you've played the most recent game, but this is where it originates.

This thing has been hailed as the greatest thing to happen to the series and also the worst thing to happen to the series depending on how much a diehard fan of the classic games you are.

I've got a bit mixed of an opinion on this thing. Really, my only problem with it is that it makes my decisions feel a little less important in my strategy, and it combined with Physic makes me be incredibly lazy when it comes to playing this game. Alternatively, it's also really goddamn nice to have when you're 20 turns deep in a very tense map and one of your units eats a crit or a wayward arrow.

By the end of the game, we'll have nine uses for this thing. Yes, nine. By that point I end up blowing half of them on nitpicking unit movements. I personally think nine is a bit much, and I lean towards preferring it having less uses. That way you've got chances to recover from random crits or a bad move deep into a map that's taken an hour, but you have to make each of them count.

Had I not just come off of Awakening Lunatic, no deaths, no grinding, no DLC when I picked up this game, I might've been a little less receptive to it, but at the end of the day, let's face it- people usually don't like losing, and this helps prevent that.

(As an aside, IntSys, get rid of enemy random crits please. At least for lower difficulties or something. You can still give them crits with Killer/ing weapons to create strategic tension, but single digit percentage crits are just rude.)

(As a second aside, I've mentioned this game doesn't use True Hit right? It's crits are also unmodified. 1% crits are a thing, albeit rare.)

Aaaanyways, long overdue ramble over, have fun discussing the Turnwheel now. Back to my master plan in which I send Clair to to weaken Slayde.

...WHAT

THE

ABSOLUTE

front door

Ugh, time to rewind aga-

Oh, hey, that's a good level. We're keeping this, screw it. I'll do the Desaix early kill in a separate update.

...But in retrospect, this happening probably isn't unusual.

So, one aspect of the Turnwheel is that it unclearly has zero to little effect on RNG. It says it has little effect at least.

The way RNG works in a game like Fire Emblem, though we don't know for sure with this one, is that it makes lists of randomly generated numbers and pulls one off the list every time it needs a roll (hit, crit, stat growths, etc). These numbers are calculated roll under versus the percentages you see, so for a 75% growth to trigger, the grabbed number must be equal to under that.

What likely happened here is that the second number on the list (the first would be for the hit roll) from the beginning of the turn is equal to or less than 4 (Lukas's crit chance). Clair's is 14, so it's going to be a guaranteed crit for everyone on our team but Gray whose crit is 0 presently thanks to the Lightning Sword.

I'd have some numerical evidence I could've given you had Lukas also leveled from this (comparing their growth rates would give me a good estimate of the numbers needed), but at the end of the day, nobody's done the calculations for this and I have no idea how or how much the Turnwheel changes the RNG tables.

For all I know, this was probably just amazingly bittersweet luck. Either way, I did actually say fuck it to messing around with trying to kill Desaix early because I realized I kinda don't have the damage right now to pull it off.

What does this mean?

It means have a cool gif of Gray dunking a guy with a sword that shoots out lightning.

Well, Tobin missed both shots, but I personally swear these jerks have a higher than advertised dodge chance. They always do this to me on my playthroughs.

This is the more important part though.

Weapon arts that aren't minor things like Swap tend to be things like this. They have an HP cost like spells, sometimes have better range, but primarily come with boosted damage or extra effects.

Tobin's been pretty good at doubling things all considered his effective 4 SPD, but that'll quickly fall behind and this will make up for it in the long run.

So, (I already mentioned this in the last update, but whatever,) weapon arts don't double unless they say they do. If Tobin meets an enemy he can't double, he can just hit 'em with this instead.

Oh, and here's the stats on Miasma, just in case you wanted to know.

Lukas is just the tiniest bit short on damage here, but I go ahead and do it. The little prediction bars do calculate spell HP costs into the matter, but can get a little funky when the HP costs are a lot larger than 1.

This is more damage in one hit than Lukas has taken the last update and this one combined. Probably. I'm not doing the math on that.

Regardless, this is a nice reminder that the DEF/RES system is important to watch out for.

On the enemy turn, Alm gets into the first battle he's seen all day.

It's suitably awesome.

Because we're over 150 screenshots in, I'm just gonna skip to the good parts now that the boss is dead.

Forsyth delivers one of the most meh levels ever. It's fine though, really, his promotion boosts will carry him enough.

Lukas bodyslams the caster to both get payback and to block the way for his allies.

Gray tears the enemy knight a new one.

Oh, and this is what the normal shield looks like. Lukas would be using one, but evidently they're made of cardboard as the little leather buckler has more defense.

Jeez, Clair, didn't you have enough crits to your name already? You don't have to try and catch up with the rest of the squad!

Image Reprehensible!

Then Silque beats up on the knight to get a level that has a high chance to mean absolutely nothing in the long run.

And that's Update 9, folks. See you next time.

...No, seriously, I've gotta cut it off here. 170 screenshots and multiple gifs is enough. There's at least 60 more screenshots of story and text after this part.

Next update, I'll go to a different savefile timeline, grind a bit, and beat Desaix for real this time.

As to whether we keep this one or that timeline is up to you, though. Until then.

Next Time: Master Plans Come To Light (Yes, Multiple!)

One the few mercies is that the Baron class is more or less the General class wearing a slightly different hat. I never played the original so when I saw Desaix was a Baron, my mind immediately went to the Jugdral version of the Baron class, which has access to nearly every single weapon type in the game (dark magic being the lone exception) to hurt you with. Thankfully, Desaix is locked to lances and can only hurt you at range 1, but is offset by the hugely overpowered Dracoshield (and the terrain boosting his evasion) making him almost nigh-invulnerable. Key word there: almost.

AradoBalanga wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm
One the few mercies is that the Baron class is more or less the General class wearing a slightly different hat. I never played the original so when I saw Desaix was a Baron, my mind immediately went to the Jugdral version of the Baron class, which has access to nearly every single weapon type in the game (dark magic being the lone exception) to hurt you with. Thankfully, Desaix is locked to lances and can only hurt you at range 1, but is offset by the hugely overpowered Dracoshield (and the terrain boosting his evasion) making him almost nigh-invulnerable.
Yep, as we'll see soon enough, there's a few class names that seem odd in their use, most notably the promotion of Mercenary is Myrmidon (then to Dread Fighter). It is still pretty much the same class though. As another note, where the last tier promotions tend to have some unique qualities to them, Baron gains pretty much nothing, just more stats.

But I'm getting ahead of myself there.
AradoBalanga wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm
Key word there: almost.
Yep, only almost, as we'll see soon in the next update. I needed to do some changes to the setup in order to get it to work, primarily needing a little bit of grinding to get two specific weapon skills. It's possible without them, but you're going to have to do some even more almost impossible shenanigans while ticking down HP a point at a time.

The method I'll show is the more sane approach, though.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, I'll leave it up to thread vote whether or not we keep playing the alternate save file I used to make it happen. Mostly it's a matter of stats, and well, the ridiculously overpowered Dracoshield.

Huh, Rinea had more lines in this game than I remember her having.

Also fuck everything about Berkut.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:44 pm
Huh, Rinea had more lines in this game than I remember her having.
This is an unfortunately realistic, and I imagine rather frequent reaction.

*sigh*
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:44 pm
Also fuck everything about Berkut.
I was going to write a more elaborate response, but really all that needs to be said is this:

Agreed.

(For those unaware, the main problematic writing just looms over the horizon, but at least we've got a little while more before we really get there.)

Berkut may be a mixed bag, but I will give all of the credit to Ian Sinclair for absolutely fucking killing it with his performance.

:black101: Crit Emblem is eternal. (Then watch as we go on the other route and never get a crit again.)

Rinea's character design and story role screams "I AM A LATE GAME RECRUIT" to me.

What is nice about this chapter if you really just want to cheese it you can actually get the dracoshield.

Update 10: In Which We Meet Nearly Every Antagonist, Part 2 (End of Act 1)

Update Contents

Welcome back folks, we just ejected the Rigelian Empire from Zofia and now it's time to celebrate. Of course, it's also time for the plot of this game to really start showing itself.

(If you are wondering, there's been a slight change in plans as to the updates. This update was going to be double the size of a usual update because I didn't want to put the Desaix fight by itself after we'd already seen that battle. Instead, we'll be having it as a spacer update between now and Act 2's start. Since I'm also going to do Act 2's intro earlier than the usual schedule, that means two back to back weekly updates.)

Music: Prince of Darkness | Image YT Image KHin

Milord already is it? Damn, Fernand, you really did jump at the first sign of classism.

Image We cannot hold the castle with my detachment alone. We must retreat.

It'll be a few months before we even see this detachment.

Image Yes, my lord!

Ooh, how threatening. Whatever, Dark Bieber. See you in a few months.

Music: March | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Image Yes, Alm. We won. Zofia Castle can finally return to the hands of her own people!

Image We really did it…

Alm doesn't outright smile like this very often. Our next main character smiles even less.

Image Hee hee!

In this timeline, you did!

Image Ha ha ha! A jest only, I assure you. You were wonderful, Alm. This victory proves you have what it takes to lead us.

Image Desaix and Slayde both got away, remember?

Image Forget who got away! There’s still plenty of reason to celebrate.

Image True, it is deeply regrettable those two snakes managed to elude us. But regardless, we have retaken the castle—the symbol of her kingdom. Was this not the Deliverance’s primary goal?

Image Indeed, it was. I know this war will continue as long as the empire desires Zofia… but this victory is a sweet chalice, and right now, we should drink deep!

Image Clive couldn’t have said it better.

Image So then! Shall we go inside? Our friends in the castle will be most eager to meet their deliverer.

Well, let's head on in, I suppose. Nothing left to fight, and only piles of dialogue on the horizon!

Music: With Pride In Your Heart - Zofia Castle | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Fancy place. Might as well get to talkin' and lookin'!

Image Thanks to you, the castle is finally rid of those imperial dastards. Oh, what a joy to watch them run… We’re finally free! You have my heartfelt thanks. Truly.

We do get a lot of praise for winning the fight, which does feel pretty nice honestly.

Image He’ll be beggin’ Rigel for help now, so he will! What a piece of filth, leavin’ his men behind to die in his stead…

Yep, Desaix is a pretty garbage person. Regardless, props to this guy for getting his location so that we can finish the job at a later date.

Image Zofian banners still adorn the hall.

Image The decorating budget for this place must be unreal...

Way to understate it, Alm. To be fair though, it doesn't particularly appeal much to me either as I prefer a more rustic look in architecture rather than regal. That being said, the extravagant look of this place shows where King Lima put his priorities.

Also, evidently Desaix didn't care to do any remodeling.

It also must be a pain to light the thing.

Alm, thinking the questions we're all thinking.

They're downright massive, that's for sure. The age of the trees they must've cut down for that is a bit depressing.

On a lighter note, loot!

(Don't ask me why the treasure vault is at the front.)

Image The Rigelian imperial household gave us that sword as a sign of friendship. I don’t know what use Desaix has for it. Oh, it’s a powerful sword, and no lie… but only in the hands of the right wielder. And that wielder isn’t him!

Well, that sounds nice and not like foreshadowing at all. On a side note, this is one of the few, (if not the only,) time we see a gal cavalier NPC.

Image But as it’s a lance, only knights and similar classes can wield it.

Because most fodder enemies (and minibosses) we'll be seeing on Alm's side are cavaliers, this means that you can call this weapon Waveclear and not be wrong. Needless to say, Lukas and Clair are going to be having fun with it. It's also just about as good as a Steel Lance as is.

Aside from the Ridersbane, there's also a bottle of wine here.

And an even better one.

Also a pirate ship.

You said it, Alm.

Image There's nothing here worth lugging around.

For you see, the real treasure was the friends we made along the way.

...And the Ridersbane too.

Anyways, we're done here, time to be off in search of more dialogue.

Image It’s true we have made great strides by recapturing the castle… but Chancellor Desaix—the man who started all this—remains at large, and the Rigelian Army yet lingers inside our kingdom’s borders. To free Zofia, we must find Desaix, slay him, and drive Rigel back for good. Alm…

Image Yes?

Pushing out an invading country is tough enough, but pursuing them onto their own land? Not an easy battle to win, not an easy choice to make.

Image Or…we could take the fight to them. The choice is yours.

Clair shows up here, but doesn't get a speaking line for a little bit. Leftovers of a minor script change, maybe?

Image I see.……

Image This war has been my first glimpse of the kingdom I live in. Unfortunately, I’ve also seen what it’s been reduced to. Needless to say, it’s far worse than I’d heard. People are suffering. Even dying. But this war, no matter how terrible, has also taught me something.

Image I don’t want to stop helping them now. I want to press on and make as much of a difference as I can. I know this probably sounds empty. Maybe even mad. But I think we should keep fighting until we’ve taken back all of Zofia.

Image Heh…

Image Then it seems the matter is settled. The Deliverance shall march! We will put Desaix down and scatter the Rigelian Army to the four winds!

*Loud cheers*

It is a good speech, can't lie.

Image Were you even listening to a thing he said?

Image No, no. Come on, this isn’t WAR, Gray. He’s just going to kick them out.

Image Riiiight. And then Emperor Rudolf will just send a fruit basket to apologize! C’mon, Tobin. You can’t be so thick that you don’t see what’s coming.

Image Hmm…

Image You knew it would come to this, didn’t you? When you agreed to join the Deliverance, I mean.

Image Oh, come now.

Image You’re the one who said all those years ago that Alm was different from us. You knew he was going to do something like this one day.

Image Well, you were on to something no matter what you meant. Because now we’re starting to see that he’s much bigger than we are. I’m proud of him, but…I’m also going to miss him.

This is a neat conversation for characterization reasons. Fame and responsibility tends to leave people behind, so I've heard. Regardless, this is kind of the solidification of the trend we'll see later where Gray and Tobin only show up in story moments to effectively comment from the sidelines.

Image Of course, he never liked much of anything besides his wine and women. I wager Desaix looked upon the general as an obstacle of sorts, too, because after he murdered the king’s children, he pinned it on Sir Mycen. You’d have been daft to believe such a thing, of course… which is precisely what the king did. Or perhaps he just saw it as an excuse.

Hrm, so it seems Plot Grandpa has more things going on than we knew. It's not too surprising though, we knew both Desaix and Lima to be jackasses from the start.

Image Oh, but I’ve heard tale that one of ’em still lives… Her name was Anthiese. PRINCESS Anthiese! Juicy bit’a gossip that, eh? Story goes, the villa she lived in was set to blaze some ten or so years back. Folks thought she burned to cinders, but you know how tongues like to wag.

Who know, foreshadowing lady, who knows. It's evident though that this Anthiese will probably be an important plot point.

Image After that fire at the villa, however, neither body was found. I often dream that at least the princess managed to escape somehow…

Okay, make that two more characters on the list of ones we may eventually meet.

This statue is carrying a Steel Lance which is in most regards better than an Iron one.

It's also got this good shield too. It's a bit better than the Leather, but with a bit more SPD cost.

Anyways, off to examining the surroundings.

Yeah, there's a big difference from this and Ram Village.

Well, whaddya know? There is a throne room here.

OldTimer: I was hoping I’d run into you. Please, allow me to welcome you to the castle. I served Zofia’s king for many years, you know. If you need anything, just ask!

Image This is my first time here, so I’ll admit to feeling a bit lost. My grandfather, Sir Mycen, spoke of it on occasion, but—

Image Er, yes, that’s the one. I’m his grandson, Alm. He lived in this castle long ago, didn’t he?

Image Well, yes, but…how very odd.

Music: Disquiet | Image YT Image KHin

Image Huh?

Oh... oh dear.

Image Alm is most certainly related to—

Image No, I assure you, General Mycen told me himself. “I have no family,” he said. Clear as day it was.

Image Pay him no mind, Alm. The old man’s probably just confused, is all. It was a long time ago.

Image Y-yes… That must be it…

Image ……

Well, that certainly ominous. If we talk to him again he just says this:

Image Hmm… Very odd indeed…

Of course, there's no way that this conversation was important at all. Because that's the case, let's just ignore it and do our obligatory examination.

Image This is the audience chamber where the king would see the people. I bet this is the most luxurious room in the entire castle.

Knowing what we know about King Lima, I'd be willing to bet there's at least one particular room more decorated than this.

There's also these wall reliefs, but they're kinda hard to see. I'll just have to take his word on it. I believe they're the ones from the very intro of the game, but it's almost a blind guess.

That's about all there is here, might as well head to the staircase. It's the only other location left.

Image Please proceed up these steps. A visitor is waiting for you up on the balcony.

Image A visitor? Who is it?

Image I’m afraid I cannot say. Go on and see for yourself.

Well, how very peculiar. I suppose we'll have to go see who this is.

Oh, and had we come here before going to the throne room, the cavalier here would've just told us to come back later.

Image: This corner of the castle is more poorly lit than the rest.

There's nothing to see here really, so...

Music: Silence

Well, there's a face we haven't seen in a long time.

Let's save the scolding for just a bit longer though.

Image Heights never bothered me. Although that IS a long way down.

There was a prompt here for the sunset that I missed in my recordings:

Image It's so bright today... OW! Oh gods, I looked right at the sun!

Just in case you needed a reminder that Alm is a dork and that it's great.

Anyways, enough faffing around, let's have a chat with our old friend, Plot Grandpa.

Music: Truth | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Image Heh. I have my reasons. Look how far you’ve come, Alm. You’re a man grown now. You’ve been through quite a bit since leaving the village, haven’t you?

Image I suppose. But Grandfather…

Image I still feel guilty about that.... But I think I made the right choice. I’m the commander of the Deliverance now. And together, we’ve already liberated the Southern Outpost AND this castle. So you see—

Image I didn’t come here to pick apart your actions, Alm.

Image Am I…ready?

Image Indeed.

Image You won’t be able to stop the events that unfold. No one will wish you well. Many will even try to stop you; unexpected tragedy is sure to follow. That is the price of what you are about to undertake.

Image Are you ready to shoulder all of their burdens? Their desires? And are you ready to fight and bleed until Zofia and all of Valentia is saved?

Image I know I may be in over my head, and I still have much to learn. But when I say I will fight for my kingdom, I will fight for my kingdom. No one will stop me. Nothing will break me. I’ll see it through to the very end.

Image …Very well.

Image Huh? What do you mean?

Image You’ll understand in time, boy.

Image Say, that reminds me…

Image Huh? What’s that noise?

Image Well, well… The people have gathered to get a look at their new hero. You should go greet them.

Image Whoa…

Image These are the people whose burdens you will carry the rest of the way. Remember what lies upon your shoulders.

"...causing the Zofian people to greet their new hero with raucous cheers.

However, what Alm did not and could not know, was that his victory here was but the prelude to a longer—and far more bitter—conflict."

Music: Schemes | Image YT Image KHin

The shape of the window in the back is important for later plot points. It may be familiar to some people, though probably not so much.

Image The rebel army has taken back Zofia Castle!

Image And what of Berkut?

Image Sire, Lord Berkut withdrew and rejoined with the main force.

Image A Rigelian Knight, the emperor’s sworn defender, scurrying away like a rat? My arcanists would never have painted so sorry a picture…

Image Hold your tongue, Master Jedah.

Image Why should I? I merely speak the truth.

Image Yes, Emperor. He assumed command after Sir Clive of the Knights of Zofia stepped down.

Oh, dear. Lots of ominous foreshadowing going on here, and a lot of new characters too.

But damn, when this game has good moments, they're pretty good.

So, this bit of the story differs just a bit from the original Gaiden story. Most of the NPCs that are here are present in Gaiden with similar dialogue, though the only notable difference is in the lady talking about Princess Anthiese mentioning a bit of a spoiler for now, and the original counterpart of the Old Timer instead more actively reacting "N-no way, that rumor was for real?!" then denying saying anything. It suggests and tells a bit more than what we get here.

The scene with Clive never happens, and the ending of the Act is much shorter with Mycen giving Alm little time to talk. We don't get the scene at the Rigel Castle either, which is some nice and mysterious tidings for the future.

We do have a few conversations with our units we haven't seen yet, though for the sake of not making this update any longer than necessary, we'll just leave those for a later date in a long while.

Why? Well...

Next Time:

(If only we had getinfrog)

And now we meet the leaders of the evil baritone alliance: Jameison Price (Rudolf) and Richard Epcar (Jedah). I look forward to the incoming ham and boastful speeches.

AradoBalanga wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:09 pm
And now we meet the leaders of the evil baritone alliance: Jameison Price (Rudolf) and Richard Epcar (Jedah). I look forward to the incoming ham and boastful speeches.
Oh, definitely. Their voice actors are perfect for their roles here. Jedah's got the perfect layer of sinister tone to everything he says, while Emperor Rudolf is incredibly intimidating when he does speak.

I forgot to comment on it then, but also yeah, Berkut's VA does a very good job on his delivery as well.

Again, the VA work in this game is very, very good and really makes it stand out on the 3DS. Very few games on the handheld have both a combination of the quality and quantity of voice acting as SoV here does. An SSLP really doesn't do justice to it in that regard.

Yeah for all the game's writing faults the VA work is great.

Looking forward to the Act 2 boat parade.

This lp helped me notice something about this scene that I never caught on to before. And yes the voice acting in this game is absolutely amazing as it helped give so much character to everything.

Update 10.5: A Battle Won, A War Yet to Follow (Early Desaix Takedown)
Update Contents

Music: March to Deliverance (Act 3) | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Music: Air of Brutality (Act 3)| Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Hey, there, ready to get right into the action?

You might notice a few differences on this file, namely levels and promotions, and that's because I did a little extra grinding before reattempting this. I didn't really intend to level too much because I didn't need the stats, just two particular weapon skills I was missing. Regardless, consider this a nice sneak peek at all the cool stuff we'll be getting in Act 3.

Oh, and this is only attempt three, for the record. The first was the Update 9, and the second ended when I realized that Clair wouldn't be able do what I needed her to do here. She got really close, but was just a bit off.

I'll, er, just explain it as we go along.

We start in a rather similar configuration as I started last time, except for a few minor things. For instance, Clair is only using the Leather Shield this time as she gave her lance to Lukas.

This is why her damage isn't great right now. She's going to be taking a bit more of a minor role today compared to last time. She is 2 levels higher though.

That was fast. I have no idea why she learned it so fast, she's only had the shield on for like, three fights.

Someone who hasn't changed at all is Clive, who I'm kinda just not bothering to use for most of the game. Today though, he'll have a very important job that he's just perfect for. You'll see what it is later.

Lukas gets ready to move up, but on a different side this time.

Thanks to the funny way EXP works in this game that I haven't talked about properly yet, Lukas is now level 4, bordering on 5, and has some decently higher stats. He only gained one point of SPD though, so that's how you know this is the alternate timeline.

He's also gotten halfway through mastering the Steel Lance, in return gaining the Armorbreaker skill. It adds a good chunk of damage and effectiveness against armored targets when using the move. This will be letting us do some minor, but notable damage to Desaix later.

Clair was originally trained for Armorbreaker, but her ATK wasn't high enough to overcome the insane physical defenses Desaix has.

Slique has also reached level 7 thanks to Bonus EXP, and has a new spell, Warp.

Not as utterly busted as FE3's Warp staff with it's infinite range, Silque's exclusive Warp spell has a range equal to half her ATK.

It does probably what you think it does: lets us warp an adjacent party member to any spot in range. Despite all the shenanigans you could cause with it, we won't really be using it as a major part of our strategy today, just as a way to save time.

Forsyth got pretty bad levels overall during the grind, but I didn't really focus any onto him. He's got the Iron Lance to help out with, but he's not going to be contributing too much today either, unfortunately.

He went left this time and Kliff went on the right side in his place. This was mostly to keep the support chain together, I guess.

Faye's high enough level to have Physic from the start as well. It will be very handy today.

Gray has seen a good bit of change for today. He's since been promoted into a Myrmidon, has gotten some overall good stats, and most importantly, has mastered the Lightning Sword. This gets him the Thunderclap and Foudroyant skills.

Thunderclap mostly just gives him a longer range single strike with the sword, while Foudroyant is one of the most important things we'll see today. It doubles the damage he deals, while costing 8 HP and being melee range only. It's dangerous, but will be our primary source of damage today.

Python manages to land both shots on an archer upstairs and picks up a level of just RES. I'm... not sure what to say about this one. On one hand, RES is very rare and nice to have, but he, uh, needs a lot more than a point of RES right now.

In this timeline, Kliff is fast enough to double with Thunder, which is just amazingly devastating.

I make the first real use of Silque's Warp in order to let Lukas get farther along, and letting us sneak more people past on this side.

On the enemy turn, Lukas begins to smash through the cavaliers.

Despite the terrifying numbers on Lukas's side, this encounter is all whiffs.

The next one meets the full force of alternate reality Lukas who is shaping up to be the world's most dangerous man.

But that's mostly because he's only rolling this instead of any levels with SPD.

Back on my turn, Gray moves up the side, looking to meet as many enemies as he can, mostly because I'm going fast at this point and throwing caution to the wind. Besides, he's got 7 DEF and that renders most of the enemies to only dealing rather wimpy numbers.

Tobin moves up and demonstrates Heavy Draw on this cav since he can't double 'em. It's got boosted accuracy, so it helps to land a hit as well.

Said hit is very strong.

Alm moves up and Silque warps him around the wall. I'm going to want all but two of my units on the sides before I really put the plan into action.

I sent Clair up to earn a little battle experience off this cavalier before Lukas destroyed him, but uh, it looks like she's doing that for herself.

...Or not. Curse you, 23% miss chance!

Lukas does the job I had planned for him to start with.

On the enemy turn, this soldier makes the worst decision of his career.

I think you know where this is going.

Apparently the traitor army doesn't train people to have good decision making.

Continuing montage of Gray zapping things

One even goes for Tobin, which also goes poorly for the attacker.

Once our turn starts he moves up and goes for a finisher but misses.

Gray picks up the slack.

I move up Alm and Forsyth, but have to pass a turn so Kliff can move out of the way.

When it's my turn again, (the enemy isn't doing anything but healing the units that retreated earlier,) I warp Faye to the left and have her Physic Silque, move Kliff up to follow, and then Python moves up on the right side.

With this, the basic layout for our team has been formed.

Before the plan gets set in motion, I wait another turn to get everyone with fresh actions. This lets me use Tobin to move up past the danger range and hassle the weaker enemies. This'll help distract the enemy Arcanist for a while.

Then Silque moves into this hallway down here, positioning herself ahead of time.

Following that, Clive begins to make himself useful today by standing on the farthest bit of Slayde's aggro range.

On the enemy turn, he takes the bait, and the trap is almost ready to be sprung.

Music: The Fallen Knight | Image YT Image KHin

He says the usual thing and Alm interjects in the conversation from across the map, as usual.

Clive lands a hit, which is acceptable given that it only does 4 damage out of 28.

The danger range has changed, so it's time to move all of our units out of it, but Clive. The enemy AI prioritizes dogpiling on the weakest unit in range by default, but we're not even giving it a choice here.

Clive moves down right next to Silque and blocks Slayde off from reaching her. In turn, this means that Silque can just sit right behind him in the chokepoint and keep healing him.

Everyone on the left moves up, with Lukas blocking the pathway.

Our rightmost units move up and keep pelting the weaker units with arrows.

Tobin gets the weakened archer down.

Gray then moves up in enemy range, but just outside of Slayde's. It's not like Slayde would target him over Clive anyhow.

Image This is the part that hurts!

Tobin finally crits after a long time of not doing so.

The unfortunate recipient is respectively deleted.

One of those cavs from earlier, now freshly healed, makes a terrible decision.

The result is the same as the last cavalier who tried it.

Slayde moves in and the trap has been fully sprung.

Because killing Slayde nullfies our intended objective, killing Desaix, I've used Clive here to setup a diversion that results in an artificial timer on our mission.

Slayde can survive 7 hits from Clive as is, and Clive can survive 16 more turns of being beaten up before I'll need to have Faye heal Silque. As I tested on an attempt before this, Slayde will absolutely fight to the death, even if he could retreat to a healing tile.

Slayde's already taken two hits from Clive so far, so we're already down to 5 turns to kill Desaix, (not counting potential misses, which would extend our timer.)

5 turns is a very tight time limit as you'll see soon enough, for the game is now afoot.

15 heals left.

Kliff moves up a bit and starts to agitate the arcanist a bit. We're going to want them gone ideally, though worst case scenario we keep them separated from being able to heal Desaix.

Lukas moves into a position forward but just out of Desaix's attack range. What I'm aiming towards here is to have him block up that little mini fort that all the enemy units are in once I lure Desaix out.

Alm's going to be the one doing that. He's got so much HP and a decent defense that he'll be fine afterwards. Faye's easily in range, so we don't have to worry too much about him right now.

Python pokes the archer.

For some reason I have Tobin plink Desaix in the noggin. This won't accomplish anything right now, (he'll just regen it on the start of the enemy's turn,) but I did it anyways.

Image You can’t hope to touch me. So long as I have the dracoshield Lord Berkut gave me, I am invincible!

Well, we'll be proving that statement to be false soon enough.

He missed both times anyways, so, uh...

I'm not really sure what to say here.

On the enemy turn, Alm takes a miasma to the face. His RES cuts at least a little damage off that.

This is going to hurt more though.

owwwww

Alm bounces off the Dracoshield only doing 1 damage, but then does this.

Image This is how it's done!

Crits still triple the shave damage after all.

Wow, Alm got a lot of weapon skill after going ham there. He only had a third of it filled on his bar.

Well, either that, or the Iron Sword just has a really small bar that we haven't noticed because I don't use Alm that much in the early game.

...Which is true?

I dunno, so have an image of Gray frying another horseman.

Yeah, that's what I want to know, Gray. Seriously.

4 Turns left.

It's also the next frame. Apologies for that. I'd go fix it, but, er, I no longer have the footage. Think of it as insight into my LP workflow.

Just awesome, right?

14 Heals left.

Even though it means the knight will likely follow up an attack on her, Clair's not going to take much from this arcanist's spells, thanks to Peg Knight RES.

There, that ought to be weak enough for Kliff to eliminate them.

Crispy.

Ooh, and a spicy level to go with it! Had that SKL point gone to ATK, it would have been a perfect level as far as I'm concerned, but I'm also not going to complain about SPD and DEF on a mage.

And now, Desaix has been cut off from his army, and stands fully open for a pummeling.

So, if we went for Foudroyant now, Gray would die on a 49% chance, which I'm not risking. It will do 10 damage though, which means as long as we can keep him healed we may just barely be able to beat out Desaix before Slayde goes down.

I'm going to have to heal Gray first, though. Normally this would leave Alm an easy target for game over, but I can just have him eat a healing item and be fine, especially since Desaix will then change target to Gray due to his lower DEF.

Thank Mila for vulneraries oranges, am I right?

I could do it, now, but the retaliation is going to likely get Gray killed. Foudroyant is only melee range, after all.

At the end of the day, I have Gray stand at a distance and chip damage away with ranged attacks. Overall, this should make 6 damage on him on this turn, which means he'll at least have taken 1 damage after regen.

I primarily did this to lure Desaix right up to Lukas, who can Armorcrush from his present position and still block up the exit.

And after all this talk, Gray still misses a swing, meaning none of this mattered! Yay!

But wait, my archers can still contribute!

Well, that makes 3 HP down for good.

He takes the bait.

Gray gets lucky and dodges, meaning I'm coming out of this with a free Foudroyant.

That Knight does a number on Clair, but I can easily get her out of there on my turn. She's accomplished everything I needed her to on this map.

3 Turns Left.

13 Heals Left.

Ah, damn this is gonna hurt, but I've gotta go for it if I'm going to make this in time.

If you were playing safe, Foudroyant would be your final blow, but I haven't the time for that with my setup.

It's a pretty rad attack. I'll be honest, I never even saw Foudroyant on my original playthrough just because I'd already pretty much dropped the Lightning Sword by Act 3.

Oh, heck, 25% chance for that to happen again. We've really got the odds on our side now.

The archer crew plinks another 3 HP off him.

Now, Lukas goes for Armorcrush to try and trim another 5 HP off this jerk.

It goes through. 13 damage inflicted this turn in total, after factoring in his regen.

Well, it was a bit too hopeful for the dodges to continue to go in our favor here.

Returned 2 HP in damage though.

2 Turns Left.

Also that Knight comes up behind Lukas and gets completely destroyed through his armor. He doesn't even need Armorcrush to clown on this guy.

I change up the formation a bit on the left so Kliff can contribute some chip damage. Alm and Forsyth are perfectly fine to take a hit to the face if Desaix decides to attack one of them.

Every point counts.

But this is why I brought in Kliff. He's nearly got a 1 in 5 chance of critting at any moment, and as Alm demonstrated earlier, I can complain about that.

That's 4 HP down.

This makes 5.

This makes 7!

It's go time now.

Just 10 more to go!

And that's not hard to get at all.

(I was going to have a gif here, but I don't have the recording anymore, so uh,)

Eat dirt, Desaix.

Aw, yeah, now this the kind of level I like to see!

Our reward for doing this is suitably impressive- we quite literally just swipe that busted shield right off of him. +13 DEF and RES, plus 5 HP regen per turn for the measly cost of 4 SPD?

Sold.

Wait a second, something doesn't seem right here.

A Desaix here, already on the battlefield...

A Desaix already inside the castle...

...?!

No! It can't be!

We've been bamboozled!
Image The true chancellor has retreated to his fortress. And now it’s my turn. I’ve no intention of dying here with you maggots!

...Well, joke's on him, we got the shield anyways. :V

But, yes, them showing Desaix on the map before the story moment is not a mistake, it's just them foreshadowing that being the body double Desaix. I suppose it ain't a bad way to not write out an antagonist you're saving for later.

They did this in Gaiden as well, if you wanted to know. Desaix's got one more role as antagonist before we actually get to put him in the dirt.

Somehow, Slayde escapes into the castle, despite my team having all the entrances into it covered. Oh, well.

And, well, that's about it for this. Next time is Act 2 for real.

But, before we're all done, I do need to know do we stick with this alternate reality and keep the Dracoshield, or do we keep on playing without it?

It may be an odd question, but I didn't know how many people wanted to see me effortlessly break the game with it. Early Dracoshield effectively lets us make somebody invincible, and honestly, the potential is insane.

I'll be putting that up in the poll at the top, so be sure to cast your vote if it matters to you at all.

Next time: Act 2 for real. Wave bye to Alm and crew, it'll be a while before we see them again.

So, I have an alternate method of dealing with Desaix that involves a different setup, and might be slower, depending on how you look at it.

The first step is to lure out Slayde out with a dummy like Twybil did, then use a different spell to save the day: Rescue, which is Faye's exclusive Cleric spell. And with no one in his range, Slayde is perfectly fine sitting on his dumb butt doing nothing. After that, I meander Lukas (as a Knight) into Desaix's range, with Lukas hopefully sitting on a heal tile. But instead of the Steel Lance, I let him have the Iron Lance and use its first combat art, Hit and Run. While there is less damage output than Armorcrush, Hit and Run provides a much needed evasion boost on the player phase, almost always guaranteeing that Desaix won't do damage when Lukas attacks. The other attackers are of course Kliff with Thunder and Gray with the Lightning Sword's Thunderclap art, like in Twybil's setup, both of whom can pop crits thanks to supports with Alm/Tobin and speed things along. Rinse and repeat (with Faye tossing Physics for when Lukas needs them) for a 1000 years, and boom, you got yourself a Dracoshield.

And now we being Act 2, aka, "Holy Pirates of Valentia: The Ginger Sheep Chronicles"

Update 11: Tale of a Warrior Priestess

Update Contents
Welcome back folks. Today, we finally start Act 2, and what might be favorite section in the game. We'll be meeting our second Lord and be bringing them through some more unique environments for the next couple of updates, all while meeting an entirely separate cast of characters.

That being said, let's get to it!

(I've tried to do the following scene as much justice as I can without reducing this to a massive gif.

If you want said massive (nearly 40MB) gif, you can find it here.)

Music: Lord of a Dead Empire | Image YT Image KHin

(This track very much makes this scene.)

*After a brief moment of recovery, he charges forth again.*

*The shield clatters as it hits the ground.*

*They push each other away*

*She continues to try and speak, but now she's completely silent*

*They parry each other again, the clashing of metal resonating through the whole area.*

*Rudolf pushes Alm away with such force he's launched back into the air.*

*Alm goes for a follow-up attack...*

*...and he's launched into the air again.*

*Alm narrowly somehow manages to block this on the edge of his sword, and comes close to it colliding with his head.*

*He manages to land back safely, but...*

My god, that cutscene gives me chills. This or that full-length gif still doesn't do justice to it.

Regardless, you probably recognize this redhead from somewhere in this LP before, and this image should give you an idea of the incredible, unforseeable twist that is our Lord of Act 2.

Music: Song of Peace | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Song of Peace is a really nice song, though very "holy" I guess, with the chorus. It's similar to Melody of Water, the Mila Shrine music , which makes sense I suppose given what this place is for.

*A loud church bell can be heard ringing*

Meet two of our newest units. One of the characters here is the best character in the game.

*Gasp* It can't be! That would mean she's...!

... Oh, and here's our third newest teammate. We'll get to see them all soon enough.

We get this brief look at the location before it forces us into a conversation.

Say hello to Celica again- she's been missing from the plot since the prologue but finally makes her return in quite the impressive way.

Image It’s been years since crops last grew on Zofian soil. Our barren fields have fallen victim to Terrors, the Rigelians have invaded…

Image I can’t help but feel this is all related. I know it.

Image Hmm… Perhaps it is, at that. I’ll not deny that the kingdom of Zofia faces her darkest hour in some time. More sick and hungry come to the priory’s door each day seeking aid…

Image I shall travel to her temple and learn what’s become of her.

Image Yes, but little one… You know well the reason Mycen placed you in my care.

Though the game has already pretty much told us this, it gives this to us outright now.

Image There are many who would seek to use you. Or even end you. The threat is greater now than ever. Yet you would still leave, knowing that?

Image I must. Even if my decision betrays the care you and Mycen have shown me. You’ve done so much to keep me safe, and it breaks my heart to pain you. But what calls me to do this goes beyond my heart.

Where Celica was already solemn and beyond her years before, it really starts to show now.

Image Keep your cries of forgiveness, little one. I’ll not give what isn’t required. If this is your mind, I won’t object. Follow the path before you. Trust in it as I in you.

Image Thank you, Nomah.

I've noted before that Alm didn't openly smile too often, but Celica does it even less.

Image Heh. Of course. But you must take care—the blight in Zofia is worse even than you know.

You read that right: She's become a badass warrior priestess now. She's changed a lot from the Celica we saw before.

Image Ah, and you mustn’t forget Mila’s Turnwheel.

Image I wear it always. You know that.

She also has a Turnwheel, which is helpful enough to have around.

Image Thank you, Nomah. For everything. Well then, I think I’ll be on my way.

Image Mm? You’re leaving this very instant? Surely you can stay until the bell’s last peal?

Image Now if you’ll excuse me….

Image Little one…

Just says it out loud, stone cold.

I mean, you'd practically have to if King Lima was your father, but still, hell yeah. Zero nonsense here, and on a proper mission we go.

Anyhow we may as well do our usual routing of looking around.

Image ...Such calm! There can be no doubt of the Mother's blessing at work.

This guy is a Sage, the promotion of male Mages. Like other classed NPCs, his outfit should give a good idea of what any of our characters could eventually look like.

...We never get the turban/beret things though.

Image But surely their own lands must be suffering the same fate. What could have driven them to invade Zofia at such a price? I would dearly love to know what’s going through Emperor Rudolf’s mind…

I mean, we've got FE plot telepathy and even we don't know, man. It's a mystery, and an ominous one at that.

Image But alas for them, this island’s no better off than anywhere else. We’re even poorer than most, what with pirates seizing inbound supply ships… We’ll soon have naught to eat but what fish the waves see fit to provide.

T'would seem that the Priory and it's surrounding area aren't any better than Ram Village was.

We can also talk to Nomah a last time while we're here.

But then he just insults our height. Rude.

(It's a good reminder that Celica has been here since the prologue, though. At this point, the Novis Priory has been most of her life.)

Anyways, the shrine here is functional, but we have nobody who'd need to use it, especially since Celica is our only unit right now. Speaking of units, let's go meet our new teammates!

Image If so, then I’m going too. You can’t say no!

Meet Mae. She's the best character in the whole game. Her voice acting sounds rather cheery, though she's not particularly high pitched or anything like you'd probably expect when someone mentions a cheerful character in an anime game. If anything, she's got a rather nice range in tone.

Here's Boey. He's actually pretty alright.

Image Heh, you say that like you think you can keep us safe.

Image I do! And I can! I’ll be more help than you, at least.

Boey's voice acting has a rather refined tone to it, and the indignation is just spot on here.

:allears:

I repeat, she's just the best. I'd say she just roasted him.

Any shaking fists at anachronisms aside (though, I'd rather think this confirms the presence of marshmallows in Valentia,) Mae and Boey are the counterparts for Gray and Tobin on Celica's route. Though those two are great in tandem, I prefer Mae and Boey more, and I assure you that's not from any bias whatsoever.

(Also, I'm going to have to avoid using :allears: too much, but it's going to be very difficult now that Mae is here.)

Image I know I’ll be counting on you both. This isn’t going to be an easy journey. Still, I’m glad I’ll have such good company.

With that, they both join our party without any notification. We've also got another teammate to get here.

We're going ahead and recruiting Genny, no reason not to, really. She's a cleric, and Mila knows we're going to need one soon. If we didn't bring her, we wouldn't be without healing for too long, but it never hurts to have another unit.

Had we refused, though...

On refusal:

Image What? No? Awww… I was really hoping I could help you out…

On talk after refusal:

Image Did you need something? Wait, can I go with you now?!

Anyways, time to do our regularly scheduled inspection.

Among various food bits, there's also this here.

The game handles the explanation for me. Every cog we get will be another rewind available to us. Soon enough, it'll also get a secondary function as well.

With that, we start to head outside...

And we find ourselves in a walk-around area, but still in a peaceful zone. We get this a few times throughout the game, but it's a rare occasion.

We can also get a close up here.

Of course, this is why we have the walk-around area present as well as why my backlog stops here: fountains!

This may be one of the toughest decisions yet, as these fountains are for SPD and ATK. We however, only have so many units present this time, so let's take a look at them.

Celica is a bit stronger than before, of course, but still has that Golden Dagger. She's a class we haven't seen until now: Priestess.

Priestess is actually the promotion of FMages, being attack magic users that learn some healing and cleric spells, as well as getting access to sword use. However, just like the original Gaiden, Celica is a unique version of Priestess with it's own promotion later, and gains EXP like any base class.

Needless to say, she's a bit like Alm in that she easily keeps up with the team if she doesn't get all too much EXP.

Mae's class is the best gal's version of Mage, but her spell list is probably the second strongest in the whole game for offensive purposes. If the intro conversation didn't hint at it ahead of time, she starts with big hurty lightning Thunder from first level, way ahead of every other caster.

Her stats are actually quite good, with the only bad stat being her very low DEF (as the SKL really doesn't matter), but she makes up for that in early 1-3 spell, high ATK, and huge RES. It won't even take her too long to fix that DEF stat either. Probably.

Oh, and she starts with a cookie.

Boey is also a Mage, but his stats are a little bit different. He's got slightly better DEF and way higher LCK, but less ATK, SPD, and RES. He only starts with fire, but he does get somewhat okay spell list, though it is rather offensively based as well. Kliff's is still far better.

Genny is our only Cleric, and while not terrible at doing damage, suffers from the lowest DEF on the team. In a way, she's a lot like Silque, but gets Physic instead of Warp. She also gets a particularly interesting spell that's new for us, but I don't tend to use it often.

With that, I'm going to stare out at this neat courtyard until the votes on what to do with the fountains are in.

Next Time: With Mila's Divine Protection

------

STORY DIFFERENCES FROM GAIDEN:

Honestly? Not much.

The only real difference here is that the bell ringing for King Lima's death isn't present, and thus none of that is mentioned. Her being the final heir to Zofia is still present though, a detail I thought was omitted. I guess my poor memory omitted that.

The Sage and Cleric that tell us of the world's woes aren't present either, and instead only a cleric that tells us of a powerful sword rumored to be at an island shrine. The modern counterpart for them is at the port now.

...Oh, Mae and Boey's brief spat doesn't happen either because, y'know, mostly everyone had no more lines of dialogue than their recruitment and death lines. She still takes a jab at him even in her recruit line though.

------

CHARACTER PROFILES:

Name: Celica
(Original: Cellica)

(Bases pictured above)

Image -> Image

Growths:

HP:50 ATK:60 SKL:50 SPD:50 LCK:45 DEF:35 RES:4

Spell List: Fire, Seraphim (Lv 5), Thunder (Lv 8), Recover (Lv 9), Excalibur (Lv 15), Ragnarok (Lv 20)

Celica is our new leader unit for Act 2, and she's a badass warrior priestess that takes no guff from anyone. With a clear goal to go on a pilgrimage not for faith, but trying to figure out what the hell is happening to the planet and to stop it. She remains rather solemn the whole game, and in all fairness, she's been through a lot. She's also apparently the last claimant to the crown of Zofia, which with the last bit of stuff we heard on Alm's side all but outright states some stuff about the situation here. But, well... nothing lasts forever, unfortunately. As to what that means, we'll see in a few months.

Unit-wise, she's very good, and though maybe a little defensively frail at times, she deals out heavy damage- especially since any ATK bonus from a sword she wields also goes to her magic ATK. Her odd early Priestess class is a big advantage as result, and unlike Alm, we will be wanting her to keep up in levels. Visual design wise, she's perhaps one of the most unchanged characters on the roster. It's a good look, really, can't blame them. And for a while, she's really quite similar to her Gaiden self in general, really.

She loves sweet and refined foods, likes rich or bitter foods, and hates rough foods.

Name: Mae
(Original: May)

(Bases pictured above)

Image -> Image

Growths:

HP:35 ATK:60 SKL:35 SPD:40 LCK:40 DEF:30 RES:

Spell List (Mage): Fire, Thunder, Aura (Lv 9), Seraphim (Lv 14), Recover (Priestess Lv 1), Silence (Priestess Lv 6)

Spell List (Cleric): Recover, Nosferatu, Seraphim (Saint Lv 1), Silence (Saint Lv 6)

I would jokingly open this by saying that Mae is the best again, and while that wouldn't be a lie, you've probably heard me say that enough already. Mae's general personality is mix of cheerful, energetic, and general pluckiness mixed with more than a dash of dorkiness that we'll see quite often as time goes on. Her main role from this point forward aside from being Boey's foil, is mostly to be Celica's best pal and source of energy, really. Apparently, her JP incarnation was a lot less awesome and more generic with a bit of stereotypical hero worship; needless to say, the localizers did an excellent job, as well as her VA who just puts so much spirit into the lines.

And, I'll be honest, part of why I like Mae so much is because she strongly reminds me of a very good friend of mine from long ago. But even regardless of that, she's still number 1 best girl. (Clair gets second place, of course.)

Design-wise, she's also pretty similar with the same ponytails and such, just done up a lot better. Her original character had two lines of dialogue, that boils down to "Boey's a nerd with one spell, I'm more reliable" and "well I done goofed" for recruit and death respectively. If it seems rather odd so many of these designs are similar, just wait...

Oh, and her favorite foods are sweet, (what would you expect from the person carrying a cookie,) and refined, just like Celica. Her likes are different though, she likes plain and savory foods, while disliking rich, bitter, and rough. She's one of two characters in the game to dislike 3 food types (of course, excluding the type everyone hates: Yucky).

Name: Boey
(Original: Boowy)

(Bases pictured above)

Image -> Image

Growths:

HP:55 ATK:45 SKL:55 SPD:40 LCK:40 DEF:30 RES:2

Spell List: Fire, Thunder (Lv 3), Sagittae (Lv 12), Excalibur (Lv 18), Recover (Sage Lv 1)

The award for most radical redesign goes to this chap right here. Stat-wise and such, he's not particularly different, but his character did get a bit of change. The original Boey voices his concern for having a team of only girls when he joins in a rather sexist sense, while now it feels more like he's doing it due to a mix of rivalry with Mae specifically. And I mean, you're more than a bit outclassed there, bud. But that's just how I read it.

Boey's a bit infamous due to his stat spread not being the best, and his growths being a bit below average in the important areas, but he is serviceable at the end of the day. He leans more on having HP than anything else and has a particularly offense based spell list. He's a decent backup at least, and will likely be around on the team for quite some time. Honestly, he's a good contender for a reclass given his growths lean very average and that his stats as-is, tend to lose out later in comparison to other options.

Food-wise, Boey is one of two of the least pickiest eaters in the game. He loves refined food, likes rough, sweet, and bitter, and hates nothing.

Name: Genny
(Original: Jenny)

(Bases pictured above)

Image -> Image

Growths:

HP:30 ATK:60 SKL:50 SPD:30 LCK:35 DEF:20 RES:5

Spell List: Recover, Nosferatu, Invoke Soldier (Lv 4), Physic (Lv 8), Expel (Lv 12), Seraphim (Saint Lv 1)

Genny got herself a noticeable redesign so that she looks less like Mae and more like someone unique. Overall, her original personality was very basic "I shall assist you, Lady Celica", but has now become what the tropes call "moe". She's very quiet, bookish, and young. At 15, she's tied with Kliff for second youngest character in the game. And all in all, she's fine enough aside from one (and kinda two) yikes dialogues.

As a unit, she's not particularly stand-out aside from that ATK growth, a 5-way tie for 2nd highest, DLC included. In the long term, it just means she heals decently strong as time goes on. Her growths are rather low overall and not even a unique mage list, so unless you really want to see her on a horse, reclassing her is kinda eh.

Genny peculiarly has no liked food, only loved, neutral, and disliked. She loves rich and sweet foods, while disliking bitter ones. Not much of a surprise there, really.

Votes are locked in, expect an update in about a week or so!
Last edited by The Flying Twybil on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think that our shiny Mareep should drink from the Atk and Spd fountains, and then Boey can get the last use of the Spd fountain.

Mae is the best. Her localization was fantastic and Cherami Leigh did an absolutely outstanding job voicing her. Give Mae +3 speed.

Mae :allears:.

For all Celica's overall seriousness she has a couple fun lines which makes... that thing all the more depressing to think about.

Anyways I support giving Mae all the speed.

Mae was the MVP of my first go at this game because I kept using her as she was so cool. Celica also owns. I vote 1 speed Celica, 2 Mae
Boey got a right glow-up

i'm gonna be the dissenter and say i'm not huge on mae, mostly because her bickering with boey makes me...really uncomfortable. she just pushes his buttons all the time and doesn't really seem to...care?

genny is a unit whose actual performance way outperformed what her stats were for me; she was just the absolute queen of lucky critical nosferatus, making her this wickedly tanky nuclear option.

So, there is something special about the Novis Priory's Mila Statue that the game doesn't really tell you up front. It is in an area where there is no unit cap (like you find in caves/dungeons), so you can travel back to the Priory and promote your entire party from this statue without having to rearrange deployment slots for dungeons. It's a very interesting quirk that Celica's path has, and while that may mean you have to deal with skirmish spawns to head back to the Priory, it is still helpful to have in the back of your mind. There is only one other statue like this in the game, but it is locked away in Act 6, a long, long ways off from now (and consequentially, the only way Alm can access such a statue).

As for our new crew, Boey...ugh, I think his main problem is that the game wants him to be the "tanky" mage. As in, can take a physical hit or two while the more fragile units (the rest of Novis crew) can sling spells unimpeded. The problem is that this is a game that kind of does, but also doesn't want that kind of character on the field. You're better off with a proper physical unit doing the tanking. Mae, in comparison, is cool and fun and definitely brings some cheer to an otherwise moodier party. Plus, she has a very good spell list (Silence is going come in very handy as we get later on in this path) that gives Mae good coverage. Genny is weird; I have no idea why she's an optional recruit for Celica because it'd make sense for her to be part of this crew from minute one and not the extra fourth wheel. But, she's our healing sheep, so I can't ignore her talents. For votes, I second splitting it up with Genny getting 1 Atk and 1 Spd, and 1 Spd to Boey.

The bigger problem with Boey as the "tanky mage" is that he doesn't even really distinguish himself that well as one in a route full of squishy mages, his bulk advantage amounts to slightly more HP than Celica and furthermore his speed's pretty bad to boot, so he'll probably get doubled by things you don't really want to have double your mages, plus Celica can just stab people if the player doesn't want to burn HP on spells. And that's without getting into what future party members may or may not bring to the table.

Having to wait until Lv18 to get Excalibur is also a mildly ridiculous amount for a mage to go without an intermediate spell but that's another matter.

Yeah, Boey really struggles to fit whatever niche he was intended for in this game, especially since the tank role is easily filled by other characters on Celica's route. It's why I consider him to be good reclass material because he can carry over that high Mage HP and average growths over to another class where he can try and make good use of it.

I don't remember if Boey was on my final team and that's kind of indicative of how his stats and spells develop compared to everyone else. In a way, I actually kinda prefer Mage Tobin over him from a mechanical standpoint. Earlier Excalibur works well enough for offense in the midgame, and Physic ensures he can take the support role in the lategame (not to mention his support bonuses are better). Boey on the other hand will typically be struggling to get any real mileage out of his heavy offense spell list when he can't manage to double anything.

hough, this isn't to say that he can't completely surprise us like Speed Lukas has.

I must have been really lucky with my Boey growths, because I remember having a great time just handing him a shield and sending him off to tank at the front lines, definitely took him to the final map with me. Though I like him as a character so it's possible I just artificially made it happen by pumping him full of boosts at the fountains, it's been a while.

Also I played the original Gaiden before this game and one of the standout lines to me was Mae dunking on Boey for not being able to cast lightning so I was very glad to see it reproduced in this game. Though they didn't really give her (or anyone really) much personality in that game, I definitely feel that the personality she gets in Echoes is more or less what the original was going for with her recruitment line.

I wouldn't say Mae is my favorite character in the game but that is more due to the fierce competition for that spot then anything else.

Update 12: Cats, Cats, Cats

Update Contents

Welcome back everyone, the votes are in and we're moving on with the story!

As the vote in the header decided, we're sticking with our non-dracoshield save file for that more typical experience (if anything so far can be called typical).

(Of course, I did also kinda forget how to properly reset the polls so it carried over the older votes, so, er....)

Music: Song of Peace | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

So, fun fact, if you head back into the Priory from the hallway, these two show up. This is a similar case to bandit lady from Ram Village, and honestly I didn't know these two existed until I was looking at the script dump for this Act.

I kinda question their placement though, because you're really never given a reason to return to Priory, like, ever. At least you can pick up the Ram Wine quest on Alm's side that would direct you back, but there's no reason that I know of that you'd come back here.

Anyways, here's what they say.

Anxious Cleric: Might I trouble you to show me Mila’s Turnwheel for a moment?

No reason not to.

Anxious Cleric: Ancient as it is, it’s little wonder some of the cogs are missing. While it appears to still function, it has lost some of its true capability. I suspect the counterpart to your Turnwheel is in the same condition.

Anxious Cleric: If you were able to find the missing cogs, I could attempt a repair. A restored Turnwheel would be able to turn back even more time. You’re curious where the cogs might be, yes? Yes, of course.

Anxious Cleric: They’re always scattering their bits at various locations around the world.

If we come back once we fully restore the Turnwheel, she'll give us a reward. It'll, uh, be an awfully long walk though...

On the other hand, the reward is a +2 Def upgrade item. That's kinda worth it.

I don't have a close-up of this person, and I'm honestly unsure if there ever is one.

Languid Hermit: …Me? Why, I speak of the revenants that haunt Novis Cemetery, of course. They were once good people of the island, all buried with love and care.

If you’ve a beating heart inside you, give them the rest they deserve. Last I looked, at least twenty of the poor souls stalked the area.

This hermit is quite literally the same as the bandit lady from Ram. We might actually manage this without grinding on this side of the map, which means a higher chance I'll bother to come back and turn it in.

However, unlike her, he just rewards a bit of cheese. So, er, no. I won't be doing this.

Anyways, that's enough of that, onto gaining stats!

As per the votes, Mae gets 2 points of SPD, upping her to 9, and Genny gets + 1 ATK.

With that done, it's into the white wall of plot progression!

Music: The Ark of Dawn (Celica Act 2 Map Theme) | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Ah, it's good to hear that theme again.

Welcome to the isle of Novis, settled off to the far east across the sea from Ram Village. As you might be able to tell from the number of movement nodes we won't be here too long, and you might get an idea of what's to come after if you look just ahead.

Image Though that DOES mean we’ll have to pass through the cemetery on our way. Rumor has it there have been Terrors appearing there as of late. Let’s be ready for anything.

Of course, there's no time like the present to go ahead and get to fighting. Nothing else to do after all.

Music: None

Image Yes, but there’s been talk of Terrors around here as of late…

Image So there has. Best keep our wits about us then, hmm?

Image But milady, I… I’ll face down thieves or rogues any day, but Terrors? Terrors are…different.

Image Shove off, would you? A man can’t help what gives him fright!

Phobias are a dastardly thing regardless of who you are.

Image Ha ha.

Image Brother? I didn’t realize you had one.

Image Yes, though by different mothers. He was a sweet thing, but meek. Frightened to death of ghosts.

Image Were he alive, you two would have been quite alike, I’m sure.

Image Milady, I…

Image Way to go, Boey.

To be fair, you kinda contributed as well.

Image What? Why is this MY fault?!

Image Uhh, because it’s ALWAYS your fault!

That's what we'll be doing, then!

But as an aside, this dialogue does read a bit oddly, but in the light of two rival friends vying for the attention of the same person I suppose it does clear up a bit. Celica's last line in this conversation is with a smile, presumably wistful, so I imagine she's not nearly as bothered as Mae thinks she is.

(I'd say they're frenemies, but is that a word people use anymore?)

Music: Battle Preparations - Pilgrimage | Image YT Image KHin

Really nothing much to prepare here for, just some Risen zombies as usual. The theme is nice though, especially as it goes on.

It's also worth noting that this map has the exact same layout as the graveyard from the prologue.

No, really.

I knew that one looked familiar for some reason. I don't blame them though, it's not a bad map.

(Speaking of re-use, there's two other maps in this game that Awakening borrowed the layout for, but that's kind of a different thing given it did that for a lot of maps as part of the callbacks it does.)

I'll remember to show them at some point, but I'll let you know that we have seen one of the maps already. Specifically, it's Ram Valley, the one with the mercenary on the mountain.)

Player Turn Music: - With Mila's Divine Protection (Prologue)| Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Enemy Turn Music: Disquieting Steps (Prologue) | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Oh, hell yes.

I don't know why, but "With Mila's Divine Protection" and every one of it's variations are some of my favorite tracks in the game. The prologue version here is solid, but the other versions really step it up a notch.

(If you play Smash, you may also recognize this track from a remix that's been present since Brawl. I'll eventually be linking that one somewhere along the line as well because I like all the remixes.)

I think what really gets me on this track is that it's so drastically different from Alm's theme/the usual early FE marching theme. (Alm's theme is great still, don't get me wrong.) I'll also admit the prologue version feels a little odd for fighting terrors, but then again, we won't be doing that as often as you'd imagine in this Act.

Image Listen close, friends: do not be shy about when and where you attack! Even if our foes cower in the woods, our spells will find their mark!

They also give us this knowledge in case you didn't already know, forgot, or hadn't figured it out. It's rather crucial to the early part of this Act in a way, given all of our attackers are presently spellcasters.

Also, you might remember from the aforementioned first update that Gravestones give 60 Avoid. It's insane.

I just kinda moved everyone up and didn't go for much of a strategy.

That statement kinda sorta goes for the whole fight as well given that these things are hardly dangerous to any of our characters here. Even Genny with her 1 Def is fine against these things given that Nosferatu hits. And they're rather unlikely to hit her to start with.

And they move as well, with about the same strategy as I'm using.

First attack of the Act goes to Genny as she takes cover on a gravestone.

Music: A Blade on the Wind (Celica Combat Theme) | Image YT Image KHin

(Celica's side gets this minor remix of the usual battle theme. It's refreshing to hear over the usual one at least.)

She lands both of them, already making this Act as promising as the last one.

On a side note, I went back to play Gaiden some with a friend, and something I'd entirely forgotten was that clerics healed less but could double on healing. Oh, and also that Nosferatu only healed half the damage dealt back then as it usually does.

This means that Valentia's Nosferatu might be the most terrifying mechanically if it's hit chance wasn't so unreliable. Regardless, it's not a bad rebalancing given that it's hard for clerics to get speed in the first place, and my goodness is it at least far easier for them to gain battle experience.

Alas, Boey here is giving us a reminder that spells have a weight value, resulting in him not being able to double this Revenant. Fire weighs 3 after all, so honestly, the only way to keep Boey at or near double range for the next few maps is to give him all the SPD

Mae getting the majority of the SPD means she likely won't have to deal with this issue for a long time though. Having Thunder double is supremely useful given it's 1-3 range.

I don't know why I had Mae finish this guy off, Boey or Genny could've easily handled it, but I guess I couldn't resist showing off the big hurty lightning.

Mages just have some of the most stylish animations.

Celica's casting animations are also mostly the same as the usual FMage casting animations, but she does have slight differences to it, mainly in the finisher attack.

Speaking of animations, on the enemy turn, a revenant goes for Boey. I'm not sure if I ever showed it off, but they bite the character's neck.

Image Give me more credit than that!

But the hit itself is delayed, so the animation looks kinda goofy when the defender dodges, as they just sidehop away.

Meanwhile, the undead roasting continues.

And continues.

Image Eat this, pal!

and the crits begin to continue as well

Image How's that?

Image Just wait, next one's mine!

Image You'll come no closer!

We now resume this montage with some more radical gifs.

Celica's sword animations, (though I think the other Priestesses use it as well, it's been a while,) is still really damn cool looking. I also get to directly show off how the grass gets cut from certain attacks.

For a bit of fun trivia to break up this combat montage, do you remember the brands on Alm and Celica's hands? Y'know, also from the prologue and first update?

Well an interesting little thing I noted was that Alm fights left handed, the same hand as his brand, while Celica melees with her right, the same hand as her brand. I don't know if it was intentional, but it's neat.

But really, this is all pretty simple. It's a nice refresher if you maybe took a short break after completing the first act, and overall, this act does a good job of easing you back into having low level characters while not feeling like a repeat of Act 1.

The second attack on mages is this nifty jump cast, and while Celica doesn't use it as far as I can remember, she has her own nifty aerials.

I think we've seen enough zombie frying (and me rambling about animations) for one day though.

I've got one more .gif for the road though, hope you don't mind.

I just really like the animation, okay? It's not every session that I get this smooth of a recording to work with. And, like-

Oh, look, we're done!

Image Woo! That was amazing!

I didn't do this intentionally, I swear. It just kind of happened.

Well, with that handled it's time to head on to the port-

...That was some fast reinforcements.

This chapter's also meant to introduce you random (in a sense) encounters spawning on the map from certain locations. This revenant encounter is basically no different than what we just did, so... yeah. They don't even actively move towards you, something that will happen with later groups.

Anyways, to more plot we go!

Music: Sea Winds and Travelers | Image YT Image KHin

This track is really damn good. You don't really get to hear it very often in the game, but I could just listen to this for hours. Regardless, you have to agree it very much just matches the look of this little seaport.

Image It's very quiet here. The fault of those terrible pirates perhaps.

This can't be used as a shield, unfortunately. It is a refined food though, apparently.

I'd like to note we just took that from a stall without paying.

We'll be doing that a lot today, actually. I suppose we paid for it off-screen, or Celica really is just that esteemed here.

Remember, it's not like anyone but Mae, Boey, and Plot Grandpa 2 know she's the last living member of the Zofian royal line.

(The timeline in general says that all the Priory members know who she is as well, and given that Nomah kinda said it out loud last update, I suppose that has to be true.)

It's probably been backlogged thanks to the piracy issue as well.

I know that at least one of my readers would be devastated if I didn't take the time to show off every cat in the game. If the update title wasn't a hint, we'll see a few today.

Anyways, I suppose we should talk to these people rather than spending our entire time with cats.

Image If so, I fear you may be in for some disappointment. Ships aren’t sailing, or so I’m told. Too many pirates about.

Well, it's at least a lead to follow.

Image If you ever find yourself in need of steel, you could do far worse than him. Though if that steel needs a history fit for retelling in polite company, well…

Hm, a named character? There's no way this'd be important or a suggestion at a recruit at all!

"Smells like a tavern floor" is still a great line though. Anyways, off to the port.

Still valid, just kind of an archaic phrasing. Maybe people still use it today, I don't know. I read too many old books to know anymore.

Image Look at all the seabirds flying... That must feel so good.

This is provided we or the cats over there don't make off with it first.

Celica, I'd hate to ruin the fun, but we just left the only thing you could call home. I'm not sure if we have anywhere to keep the cat.

During my recording, I forgot to inspect the boat, but if I'm going to go this far on goofing around, I might as well be thorough about it:

Image A boat of this size could easily see us to Zofia.

Speaking of the boat, let's see about having it do exactly that.

Right, it does seem the locals do hold us in honor.

Image I need to book passage to Zofia Harbor.

Image Hrm…

Image This patch of sea is teeming with pirates of late. It’s just too dangerous.

Image Oh, that’s no good…

Image ...well, that’d be a different matter altogether now, wouldn’t it?

Image You want me to…fight pirates?

Image They’ve grown bolder by the day, so they have. And yet, His Highness hasn’t seen fit to send so much as a single man… This sea’s our love and livelihood. We can’t live cut off from her. Ah, what’s happened to Zofia?

Image Forgive me, milady, but I can’t get you across the sea so long as pirates sail it. I know I ask much of you, priestess, but if you would lend us your strength…

Image Do we LOOK like the type to fight pirates? We’re delicate little blossoms!

Image Speak for yourself!

Image We’ll not get anywhere until ships are free to sail again.

Image What do you propose, milady?

Image Let’s gather what help we can find. The sea is only the start. Zofia is at war, and ravaged by Terrors besides.

Image Yes, and mad enough to set sail into pirate-infested waters with us…

Boey's evidently not terribly genre-savvy. This is an FE game, of course there's a bunch of random layabouts and acclaimed heroes who would just love to join.

We can talk to this old bloke again, but he just gives us this:

Image No ships can sail so long as pirates stalk these waters. If you feel the danger’s too great alone, perhaps you might court additional aid?

Recruiting party members? Gee, we sure haven't heard a single thing of the sort so far.

Image Be careful out there amongst the waves. A vile man named Barth has named himself pirate king of these waters. He sits in his island hold to the east and commits what barbary he pleases.

Image Like as not, he’ll meet the same fate. At least he’ll be reunited with his kin…

Well, sounds like we just missed that guy. Well, that's one teammate opportunity down.

(This guy's prediction is also completely wrong by the way. :V)

Image The villain thinks slaying a king makes you next in line… He’s a right tyrant! Sir Clive of the Order of Zofian Knights has gathered an army to run him off...

Hey, I know my update schedule isn't as fast as it could be, but give me a break here. I'm still at it and the pace hasn't drastically slowed for any reason.

Well, off to the tavern we go I suppose. It's the only other location we can head to.

Maybe now we can also experience what a tavern floor smells like.

One thing here is not like the others.

Yeah, I can't imagine a teenage priestess having much reason to be here normally. Although, I can imagine memories of King Lima also probably doesn't help to give on a reason either.

So that's what a tavern floor smells like!

There's just some garlic up here. I know about drying roots and spices of course, but I have to wonder why you'd put this so high up with no ladder in sight. That, and shouldn't it be closer to the kitchen? Why is it also classified as a refined food?

On an entirely different note, have another cat.

Image Quite the impressive stack of ale casks.

We can also just swipe basically everything sitting out here, even these old, half drunk, possibly stale bottles of booze.

For some reason we'll actually be able to sell these for money.

I don't know why.

Image Its vault holds an otherworldly sword, or so the stories go. Many have died for such stories, though, so consider this fair warning. See, turns out that islet is home to a terrible necrodragon. Eat you in a single bite, it will!

Image Augh, just the thought of it is enough to turn my hair to white!

Well, here's a good lead for the future, though pursuing it right now may be a bit difficult.

Tavernkeep: I’d take any herbs and botanicals I could find and mash ’em up. Of all my creations, the best was something I called “medicinal syrup.”

Unfortunately, mana herbs aren't particularly that common at this point in the game. By the time we have enough, I'll probably be too far away from this guy to care. Still, it's not an awful deal even though the 20 HP mana herbs give on their own is usually enough.

I just don't really use provisions often because I try to keep healers on point as well as having everyone equipped with gear. The game's numbers aren't adjusted too much from the original Gaiden, and it didn't have any provisions, so they're consequently not usually necessary.

Anyways, I suppose we'll talk to the one unique NPC in the room. Had we talked to him before visiting the docks we'd have only gotten this:

Image You lost, little lass? This ain’t a place for children.

But now...

Image My name is Celica. The people here speak quite highly of your skill with a blade. I’d like to enlist your services as a protector…

Image Guard duty, eh? You headed somewhere, or is this a local deal?

Image We seek the Temple of Mila.

Image That’s awfully far… And I suppose you’ve already heard about our little pirate problem?

Image It’s the reason I seek your aid, in fact.

Image All I’m worried about is if you can pay. I don’t work charity cases. Especially when I’m risking my own neck.

Image A dagger? *whistle* Well, ain’t you fancy?

Image Will this be sufficient for your services?

Image You mean will I risk life and limb for a single dagger? Ordinarily, no.

Image You got a deal. I’ll get you to your temple.

Image Wonderful! You have my thanks, Saber. Mae! Boey! Did you hear that? He’s going to come with us!

*She runs off.*

Hah, if only.

Image What kind of fool hands over treasure like this without batting an eye? She really must be daddy’s spoiled little lass…

I doubt that as well, but evidently this shows Celica doesn't put much stock in material possessions or that she's got no idea what the thing is worth. It could be either one really, but I lean towards the former.

And if we check our inventory now, we'll see that it actually moved the dagger to Saber. Just a neat little detail. Out of everyone here, he does kind of need it the most given everyone else can use magic damage if they want.

I'd also like to note that Saber's max HP is less than it should be by 2 points. That surprisingly high Res makes up for it easily though, I'd think.

Now back to the docks...

Image Now may we ask you to set sail?

Image Well, then, I’d be honored to do my part, milady. Come aboard. We’ll depart as soon as you’re ready.

Image Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just that the last time I was on a ship was when I came to the island.

Image Hey, that’s right! Boey and I used to take little trips every now and again, but never with you. Shame we never got to travel as a group. Woulda been way more fun!

That's not a particularly positive opener to a conversation, Boey.

Image Celica came here in hiding, remember? She can’t just announce herself by hopping aboard a pleasure cruise.

Image I’m just saying I’m happy we’re getting the chance NOW. Isn’t that right, Celica?

Image Please stop talking before you dig a grave so deep we all go tumbling in…

Image Ha ha. It’s fine, Boey. Really. And I’m happy to be travelling with you as well, Mae. Though I’m also anxious…

Image Will we even make it to the temple to find out?

I mean, I'm determined to make sure that this game gets a full LP, so the answer is hopefully. That might still be a few months from now though.

Maybe I can just advertise it as taking as much time as the actual journey would have...

Image Aaaaand?

Image I’m sorry. Best I keep this one to myself.

Music: Fate | Image YT Image KHin

Image Where are you right now? And what are you doing? Are you still living in that village with grandpapa?

The boat actually moves up and down with the waves as a neat but minor detail.

Image You’ve left your home behind, haven’t you? I want to see you so badly. There’s so much I need to ask.

Still gotta say, you two are way too into each other for two kids that met when you were like, seven or something. I guess you both share the same birthmark thing too. I suppose that's something.

I suppose I've got no room to criticize, I still wonder about people I met years and years ago. I still don't have that strong of a response about it though...

Music: Schemes | Image YT Image KHin

Image The sight tears at my heart… But you needn’t endure it much longer.

Image I will deliver her to you without fail.

The plot thickens.

Anyways, that's all for this time. Mostly another story update, I know, but don't worry, the game will be making up for that soon enough. We're going to be going all-in on combat for a while as we sail the high seas.

Next Time: You Are A Pirate (And Therefore Will Be Fried)

-----------------

NEW CHARACTERS:

Original/JPN Official: Savor

Image -> Image

Growths:

HP: 60 ATK: 35 SKL: 30 SPD: 35 LCK: 25 DEF: 45 RES: 0

Just in case this chapter wasn't manly enough for you, Saber has arrived to remedy the situation. He's very much the roguish, tough guy mercenary, but we'll see in time that there's a bit more to him than just that at least. He's been given a far larger presence in the storyline than he used to have, his recruitment in Gaiden effectively being in the midst of a drunken stupor and agreeing to go with you because it seems interesting. Design-wise, the direction of his two incarnations are mostly the same, I'd say.

Mechanically, Saber is here to also fill the tank role temporarily, thus his high Def growth, but it's also kind of questionable in it's execution. It seems odd that you'd have him fill this early tank role but only give him as much defense as the rest of the party to start with. Regardless, I never knew the majority of his growths were so below average given he always works well in practice. Mercs almost always have an advantage on SPD, and ATK is rarely an issue given the power many of the swords in the game have. Basically, don't ask him to double an enemy Merc, but you can expect him to keep the majority of the game's enemies occupied. Depending on how you apply them, he may just be one of the best options.

Oh, and because I like handing out mostly unimportant data, Saber loves bitter and meaty foods, likes rich foods, but hates sweet and rough foods. He also has a slightly higher than average fatigue resistance.

Saber having a slightly higher fatigue resistance does make a little sense, as he is a professional mercenary and thus has probably has been in situations where he'd have to fight for long periods of time. That said, despite being voiced by the legendary Takehito Koyasu in Japanese, I vastly prefer Keith Silverstein's more gruff and gravely performance. It gives you an impression that Saber's been living a long life of mercenary work, and is kind of plateaued with how much entertainment he can find with normal jobs, hence why escorting four naïve spellcasters through pirate-infested waters seemingly appeals to him.

Catssssss :3:

For all that his growths are pretty shaky, Saber has always turned out very well for me. Part of that may simply be due to the Mercenary line just having great bases, but even so, he's quite reliable.

AradoBalanga wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:38 pm
I vastly prefer Keith Silverstein's more gruff and gravely performance. It gives you an impression that Saber's been living a long life of mercenary work, and is kind of plateaued with how much entertainment he can find with normal jobs, hence why escorting four naïve spellcasters through pirate-infested waters seemingly appeals to him.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that Saber's VA just nails the performance. The delivery is just spot on with being rather world-weary and gruff, something you can hear shift a bit as the conversation progresses. And to be fair, it's really not every day a job like this would show up anyhow, the huge reward aside.

(Also, just gotta repeat that in general the VA's for this game are just spot on. A text LP really doesn't do them justice.)
theshim wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:05 pm
Catssssss :3:

For all that his growths are pretty shaky, Saber has always turned out very well for me. Part of that may simply be due to the Mercenary line just having great bases, but even so, he's quite reliable.
Saber has always done the same for me. The good merc bases boosted by that pretty significant HP and DEF growth tends to produce a very solid unit. Hand him a decent sword and you can reliably say that he'll just carry on through any fight. Personally I just give him a Brave Sword and let him go at it tanking melee units.

Hell, I can't really even remember a time when he went down in combat on my playthroughs.

The Flying Twybil wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:18 am
(Also, just gotta repeat that in general the VA's for this game are just spot on. A text LP really doesn't do them justice.)
I have to second this point as they are generally at a high quality but for the important scenes they do an amazing job of putting everything into it.

Update 13: Bad Day to Fly the Jolly Roger (Pirate Raids 1 & 2)
Update Contents
Welcome back, all. I hope you're ready for a lot of combat, because that's going to be the majority of today's update.

That being said, no reason not to go ahead and get to it.

Music: The Incorrigible | Image YT Image KHin

Image Eagh! P-p-pirates!

Image These waters belong to Barth the Pirate King, as yer surely aware!

Pirates in this game still have some rather top-notch ham voice acting, though they're no less yikes than a majority of the scoundrels throughout the series.

Image The sea belongs to no one man—she’s a gift to every citizen of Zofia.

Image Yar, who be the mouthy wench?!

Image Let’s just get to business already. That’s what you hired me for, ain’t it?

Music: Battle Preparations - Pilgrimage | Image YT Image KHin

Not much to say for this battle, honestly.

We've both got healing tiles and a nearly equal number of units. Given standard difficulty, they don't really stand a chance at these odds.

It'll pick up soon enough though, don't you worry.

Player Turn Music: - With Mila's Divine Protection (Prologue)| Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Enemy Turn Music: Disquieting Steps (Prologue) | Image YT Image KHin Image NES

Battle Music: A Blade on the Wind (Celica Combat Theme) | Image YT Image KHin

Here's all the music links again, just in case you wanted it.

The first round setup is pretty simple, using Saber to block the gangplank and setting him up to take a bandit out on our next turn so that Celica can move up. Mae attacks from the back rank wherever necessary, all while Boey and Genny join in where needed.

Saber makes short work of these early pirates.

On their turn they all pile in on the gangplank as I let Saber send this pirate to Davy Jones.

My recording was being especially finicky at this moment so I don't have a precise show of the final blow, so have this picture showing the length of the Golden Dagger instead.

For animation concessions, it's less a dagger and more a slightly shorter than average arming sword.

Also, Saber reclines on his sword when he gets a victory. If I recall right, he unfortunately loses this pose when he promotes to Myrmidon.

Meanwhile, Mae can one-round every pirate on this map.

She does miss one blow though, which is fine because Celica can pick up from there.

It's also enough to get us the first level of this act, and one that is playing straight to Mae's strengths. In time, we'll hopefully have more HP and Def, (you may note that both Mae and Boey are far under the typical Mage minimums for HP,) but levels like these more than guarantee that she'll far exceed her Atk/Spd minimums when she promotes to Priestess.

And honestly, I'd rather have the ATK and SPD than the max HP anyhow.

Celica can nearly defeat this pirate with a sword, but is off by just 1 Atk.

So we use fire instead.

Image Grant me strength!

Just obliterates this guy.

Image I won't ask forgiveness.

No need to in my book. At this point, the crittiness of this playthrough is just normal to me now.

Image You're the best!

In the meantime, Genny does cleric things. After this, I remembered to turn off healing animations again to save time on my side.

Honestly, if there was one FE game I'd be least tempted to turn off animations at all in, it'd be this one- they're just so great to watch. Though, this may also just be because I haven't played this one that many times in comparison to the other games.

Yeah, despite all my gushing about it sometimes, I've not come back to replay this that often. I guess it's something to do with the length of it.

Back on the enemy turn, the pirates continue to commit to folly in trying to stop us from boarding them.

Though, that crit luck does strike again.

(Also me timing screenshots just a bit too fast. :negative:)

(Consider it a special preview into the dark and gritty behind the scenes of LP creation- just exceptional content, am I right?)

Like, in full force.

Image I'm not about to stop here!

Image I must complete my mission.

Image And that's why I like you.

It's also worth noting that Celica has a lot of crit and finishing lines.

Another space on the plank cleared, and I just shift Saber forward to continue thinning out their assault.

His efforts are enough to send this one into retreat.

I could've sent Mae to zap the scurvy dog, but I opted to heal Celica instead. Unlike Alm, Celica needs to gain a couple of levels early on here, and in general as a spellcaster, stay ahead of the rest of the team.

That one pirate predictably runs off, while another goes for Saber.

Wears him down a bit, but him getting Def on some levels soon enough should clear that issue up, though.

Saber moves back to be healed by Genny and Boey pushes forward to get some participation in for this map.

Image Nothing personal.

The foe is low enough to not need a double on this after all. I also just like his dusting off victory taunt.

Celica goes in with the sword on this last pirate over here.

The default sword is way larger on Celica, practically a bastard sword. Regardless, she one-hands it like it's nothing.

Not enough to take out this salty dog though.

I send in Mae to drop a lightning bolt on the pirate. I didn't feel like waiting another turn on the guy.

Image Am I reliable, or what?

The result is as expected.

On our next turn, I have Celica go ahead and get rid of that one retreating pirate.

I probably didn't even have to show this.

But this, I did have to show, unfortunately.

At least it was a good stat.

Enemy turn, boss pirate targets Boey thanks to speed advantage.

It was the wrong play.

Image Out of the way!

Image Yeesh.

This pirate was consequently the only one on the ship worth any real EXP, being the boss.

Regardless, Boey's going to make me eat my words regarding his usability if he keeps up like this.

I guess you could say he's being the breadwinner for today. :V:

*Gets keelhauled*

Jokes aside, we're headed right into another pirate raid.

Don't fall asleep on me now, though. I promise this is about to pick up.

...Yeah, the tutorial gloves are officially off. This map's kind of like Ram Valley, but way harder thanks to enemy density and the lack of both cover and maneuverable territory.

We're going to be getting assaulted from both sides, while also havng an archer plinking away at us.

To make it all worse, even a merc with a shield is here. He's also got more SPD than anyone on our team, so, er...

Unless Saber manages to nab another level of speed and hit 11, we're in a spot of trouble.

No time like the present.

Saber and Genny get sent to the left. I'll have him intercept the pirates on that side for me while I keep Genny between both parties. I'll want her in range to heal someone if needed.

Boey takes point. I'll have to alternate between him and Celica, given their DEF.

The boss moves up, but as pointed out earlier, he's not the problem.

Boey eats 8 damage here, but at least this blocks off the mercenary for now.

Genny and Saber move back 1 each to get out of that archer's range. Those arrows are damage I don't need to take right now.

It's around this point I realize that I could've moved Boey back first and gotten Genny to heal him, but eh, hindsight's 20/20 and all that.

I suppose I could use the turnwheel, but eh.

Celica puts some damage in on the boss, and in doing so means she will probably take him down on the counterattack. This is bad because it means it'll open up for the mercenary to attack.

She can probably take it, but...

To be safe, Mae's in range anyways, so I might as just remove the extra damage the pirate boss might do.

As expected, he engages immediately as the turn changes over.

Image That wasn't enough?

Given his defensive power, we basically can't touch 'em in melee combat. Of course, we've got four magic users for a reason.

Still doesn't change the fact that this guy hurts.

Meanwhile, Saber gets to thinning out the crowd on the other side of the ship.

The pressure of being outnumbered here is rather tangible given there's no location we can really turtle in.

Celica retreats back to the last spot she can still bottleneck the gangplank, Genny heals her, and Boey stands on the oranges.

Genny also gets a level from the effort, and the ATK and HP are appreciated.

Image You can't win.

Saber also overkills the pirate in front of him.

Image Ugh, gonna to be sore tomorrow.

Also perhaps pulls a muscle in the process.

Also, he gains a level and does get that crucial point of SPD.

Aw heck, this is just like that time I had to build an entire strategy around Virion leveling speed in Awakening Lunatic.

...Except, y'know, actually fun. And that it won't end up being pointless thanks to a 2% dual guard proc.

On the enemy phase, the jerk archer moves up to shoot Genny specifically. At least the jerk just put himself in range to be magically exploded.

The Mercenary continues to be a menace.

Given there's no other ranged units, Celica moves up to take down the archer. It should have been a one-rounder, but the first fireball missed.

As a rather distressing detail, any mages casting spells while low on HP give pained cries rather than their normal battle yells. Which, given the game's mechanics on spellcasting, highlights a rather dark aspect to all of this.

I wanted Celica to have that one, but alternatively, I'm not chancing her death here.

Mae does get a level though, and it's most excellent.

Celica gets the heal regardless because I'd rather play it safe here.

Saber bodyblocks the enemy merc and Boey moves up to take pot shots at 'em.

Should be rather easy now. One of the good design decisions of FE in general is the DEF/RES damage split as it allows you to create situations like this.

As for how it gets balanced... well that's a lengthier discussion.

Saber only gets hit for one 5 damage swing now, and returns 2 damage back.

Mae is open for targeting though, and the enemy capitalizes on it.

Very much so.

Celica delivers her revenge.

That's the hardest part done.

Mae takes out this last pirate from the left, now finally clearing us from danger on that side.

Genny heals her as well.

Image Saw that coming a mile away!

With the Leather Shield in hand, these pirates are incredibly minor nuisances.

Image You're finished!

Boey narrowly doesn't take that pirate down, but it's enough for a level.

And it's a good one!

(And if it seems like I'm not using him much, don't worry, Boey gets plenty of use in the coming updates.)

Celica takes the final blow here, as we still need to get her EXP up. I need her at least at level 5 in a few maps from now.

Image Woooo!

Mae presently has zero issues one-rounding everything.

Image You've got a lot to learn!

On the enemy turn, Saber pulls a slick dodge.

Also this, because Fire Critblem.

(There's also another 'Next Frame', because VLC.

...It's been a long week, folks.)

Image Get a load of this!

Image How's that?!

And the last pirate gets himself wounded instead of just surrendering, putting him in easy takedown range for Celica.

Speaking of her, we've finally got our first support in this act.

"How's tricks" seems to be a universal enough phrase. Maybe I need to start using it at the start of each update to be more hip.

Image Great! Oh, but if you DO wanna start slacking, you just leave things to me.

Image Hee hee. You’re always so full of energy, Mae.

Image Yup! That’s pretty much my one selling point. …Well, that and zappin’ fools.

It's a short and sweet support, that's for sure. There's also a rather interesting depth to it we'll see soon enough. Not this update, but soon.

After this, Celica toasts the salty dog and...

Fuck.

That's annoying.

Image That was a close call, is everyone alright?

Eh, whatever, we're done here.

Music: Serenity | Image YT Image KHin

Image That’s where Barth’s keep stands. He’s the pirate king of these waters. Unfortunately this current means we’ll have to sail right past it. It’ll be trouble if we’re seen, so let’s unfurl the sails and be quick about it.

Image If we were to deal with this Barth, would this stretch of ocean be safer?

Image Well, yes, undoubtedly—but no sane person picks a fight with a pirate king!

Image I signed up for a nice, easy escort job, not to storm some pirate hold.

Image Mmm… I see. …Very well then.

Stuff like this is why Celica is damn awesome.

Image You need only worry about keeping me safe.

Image The people of that island are suffering under the tyranny of those pirates. I can’t stand by knowing starving innocents are being routinely plundered.

Image And you can’t finish it if you keep pokin’ your nose where it don’t belong.

Image I have no intention of wasting time on idle philanthropy, Saber.

Image I would at least like to ensure peace to those who have been so kind to me. Is that so unreasonable?

Image Hrm… Fine.

ughhh

next fraaaaaame

agh

Well, what we're doing next update ought to be pretty evident.

Though... who could this mysterious green group be?

Next Time: You'll Find Out

Last edited by The Flying Twybil on Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.