However, We At C.A.I. Believe in Second Chances - Let's Play Miss Management!

An archival space for the threads that made it.
Okay, I do know/remember one thing about Training Manuals.

You can use two of the same type at once if the employee is normally deficient in that task to make them good at it!

Junpei wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm

You can use two of the same type at once if the employee is normally deficient in that task to make them good at it!
Funnily enough, Training Manuals aren't completely wasted on Employees who are proficient in a certain task type, like Winston with Technical Tasks, but that's best explained tomorrow with the rest of it, because hoo boy

LPFinale wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 pm
Junpei wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Funnily enough, Training Manuals aren't completely wasted on Employees who are proficient in a certain task type, like Winston with Technical Tasks, but that's best explained tomorrow with the rest of it, because hoo boy
I was actually wondering this myself for a good long time after finishing Miss Management - what exactly does it do for workers that are already proficient with that task. I'll be looking forward to the explanation!

Guessing Timothy is one of our disk people. Whichever one of them set the chat system up, I can’t remember.

Also happy about the lesbian HR worker downtown. It’s nothing major, but even mentioning that lgbt people exist was pretty rare in games back then. Would have blown little baby lesbian me’s mind.

Honestly I assumed Winston was the blue disk. Still debating Pink but leaning towards Mahavir.

That said, I am not certain at all if it's those two or one of the many as of yet unintroduced characters from the title card.

Episode 5: Gameplay Update, "Technically Unsupportive"

:siren: Video:

As much as I'd rather Timothy didn't shatter himself doing piles of Technical Tasks, it's what's on the menu today, so...

...let's try to make sure he doesn't melt down in the process. And for those keeping count, this is the second time Mahavir has had a goal of talking with Tara, and yes, we will be keeping count.

First though, Winston:

Winston is to Technical as Tara is to Art as Timothy is to Financial. Their actual utility is rather different than just that, but again, specifics for the writeups that the player doesn't need to know right off the bat. What we do need to know is that we have no access to Winston's favorite spot yet, but at the same time, conventional activities don't stress him out. Oftentimes, he'll have some gimmick each Episode to help include him in the Stress loop and not make him overpowered in that regard. ...your results may vary on how often he's actually kept in check by this.

You'll notice Winston likes air conditioning and music. Unlike most "LIKES" sections, these will actually calm him down, though we don't have these yet, either. For now, just regard Winston as a staunch ally; he's here, and he's great to have around for the sake of the office.

Right. So. Training Manuals. This is gonna get... complicated, and it'll require explaining several hidden mechanics.

I'm gonna need you to imagine this as an RPG for a moment. Now, in those sorts of terms, Timothy has Lv 1 Art Skill, Lv 3 Financial Skill, and Lv 2 Technical and Writing Skill; these ranks are consistent across all Employees, with Down Arrows being Lv 1, Up Arrows being Lv 3, and Dots being Lv 2.

Using a Training Manual on an Employee will Level Up their Skill of that respective Task Type once, up to a cap of Lv 4, for one day. These aren't universally useful across Employees; they each have individual values for Leveling Up, but most will gain 2 points of Work Rate per Level (or 2 additional units of Work on a Task per second). There are exceptions, though; Tara gains nothing from boosting her Art Skill to Lv 4, for some reason. Generally, these are good for fixing an Employee's problematic Task Types in Episodes where they need to work on them, and they do a good job of that; with a Coffee stacked on top of their boost, each Training Manual technically becomes worth 4 points of Work Rate each, at least in standard conditions.

That said, the game was right that these are kinda pricey and situational. They're not as expensive as these display tips say (they're actually $8, not $10; yes, all of the Training Manual blurbs mistakenly say this), but $8 is still rather considerable for an item that provides a smaller boost than a Coffee but for the rest of the day. Oh, and an Employee needs to spend 6 Seconds reading the thing before they can take any more orders or do work, so it has a time cost as well.

Needless to say, since they started us off with enough money for one, we go ahead and grab the Technical Manual before doing anything else today.

Tara has some start-of-Day Stress this Episode, so we have her draw a bit to take care of that in preparation for the Water Cooler. The more effective time we can use between those long walks back and forth from the Whiteboard to the Water Cooler, the better.

See how the colors on Timothy's Technical Skill have been inverted? This indicates that he's under the effects of a Training Manual. While there's no difference between the animation for a boost to Lv 3 and Lv 4 (both are a pulsating Up Arrow), the boost from Lv 1 to Lv 2 is unique (a Down Arrow rising into a Dot). It's basically our indicator that "Yes, you have indeed used one or two of these things already, please don't spend your money on more if you didn't mean to."

Also, because Timothy completed a Goal in the process of reading that Technical Manual, he skips the 6 seconds he would've needed to read it. There aren't gonna be many times you can take advantage of this (since a lot of people's Goals can't be completed by sitting at their desk without working on Tasks), but when it happens, it's well-appreciated.

Conventiently enough, that extremely simple Goal unveiled two of our Optional Goals for today, and this first one is... well, it's mostly for flavor. There's a lot of Technical Tasks today, and Winston is... well, let's just say he can handle this pretty well.

Oh, and yeah, as you can see in that image...

...Winston will slowly get Stressed when Timothy is working on Technical Tasks. As much as it would make sense for him to dislike anyone working on these besides himself, he doesn't mind aside from Timothy, probably since he made a big stink about doing a ton of it today.

Our other goal is this, which will basically take care of itself mostly since Timothy's gonna need that stroganoff to keep from exploding.

Simple stuff; get Timothy doing the Technical Tasks, send Mahavir and Tara around for the Goals they're involved with, rinse and repeat until done. Also keep Timothy from combusting. I can't stress this enough.

Since Winston has so much leeway in what stresses him out and everyone else is busy, I have him do this Art Task despite his low Work Rate and high Stress Offset with it. ...and yeah, I've been poking around in that code some more, found some official terms for all this.

I'm sure the thread will be happy to hear that most any condition that changes a Stress value is referred to in the code as a "Moodifier" :mrgreen:

Just as Tara is at her limit and the Goal is half-done, we send her off to draw and Timothy off to relax as well. Mahavir can handle any non-Tech work that comes in while she's busy.

I'd have Winston contribute to his own Goal while Timothy's calming down, but there's no shortage of Technical Tasks to be done, and I feel cooler using that one trick, so we're gonna do it while showing off how fast he handles Technical work.

He lives up to his reputation, and yet, this isn't even his greatest aspect when it's put in a vacuum. We'll get into more of what he's capable of much later on in the game.

One good reason to keep Winston and Timothy's Technical work mutually exclusive is that Timothy doing Technical Tasks this Episode increase Winston's Stress by +5! Were it not for that global bonus that applies -1 to Stress when not working, he'd always look super frustrated while Timothy is doing Technical Tasks. Also, I don't need to explain that doing any sort of work, thus removing that -1 bonus on top of adding whatever Stress Moodifier Winston gets from doing work, on top of this Technical Stress is a terrible idea.

We're gonna have a lot of Goals finished in rapid-fire fashion here. First, we're done with the Water Cooler talk, much to Tara's relief.

Then Timothy finishes his Technical Tasks while a new Goal was unlocked by the one we just finished. Looking similar to Winston's, so hopefully it's some work for him.

Seems he gets the message regarding his work ethic somewhat. Probably not gonna be a permanent change, but nice to see for now.

On top of that, Tara's done drawing. There's little to no chance of someone being noticeably stressed after three separate Morale Boosts back to back.

Especially now that we've completed all the Required Goals. We'll keep going, but this is a pretty good performance so far, I must say.

Since Timothy doesn't really need to work anymore, we send him off to put in a few more seconds on his Goal before the day ends abruptly.

I find it humorous how sometimes Tasks come in at a point where it's physically impossible to finish them, at no penalty to us. Makes me imagine an overworked intern trying to get all this crap to the right offices and backpedaling to the mail room like "Wait, oh god, no, no NO" with the last task that pops up on our desk.

Oh yeah, and this screen looks different when all the Required Goals are done; you have the option to end the Episode here each Day if you passed up your first chance, and for those of you watching the video, the jingle is more intense and celebratory, too~

Today is cleanup day, the kind of day where we wrap up a bunch of low-pressure Goals just to finish the Episode. This can be pretty common at the end of an episode, but you earn this privilege by handling the Goals efficiently on the previous collective Days.

Timothy finishes eating offscreen, Winston finishes cleanup in the system, and I have Denise go get something to make Mahavir's Goal more entertaining to watch.

Namely, a Coffee to be paired with a pile of Tasks.

Just to demonstrate right here, Winston doesn't get upset when Mahavir works on Technical Tasks, just Timothy. Upon checking the code, there's only a Moodifier that checks for the state of Timothy doing Technical Tasks, which a unique check in this Episode calls on to Stress out Winston.

Over and done with, this cleanup day, and with over half the time remaining.

And there we have it. Next time, our very first Outro of the game! And yes, that means the chatlog will have to wait until next time. See you then.

Goal Writeup

Time Per Day: 140 Seconds

Task Types
  • Image Art Tasks: 25%
  • Image Financial Tasks: 12.5%
  • Image Technical Tasks: 62.5%
Task Bursts
  • 1-Task Burst, Applies Delay of 8-10 Seconds: 100%
Task Sizes
  • Image 2-Bar Tasks: 50%
  • Image 3-Bar Tasks: 50%
Required Goals
  • Image "Complete eight technical tasks. (8 Technical Tasks)"
  • Image "Get a technical manual from OfficeTown. (1 Technical Manual)" Unlocks Optional Goals #1 and #3
  • Image "Doodle on the whiteboard. (45 Seconds)"
  • Image "Chat Tara up at the water cooler. (45 Seconds)" Unlocks Optional Goal #2
Optional Goals
  • Image "Hang out in the kitchen making beef stroganoff. (60 Seconds)"
  • Image "Complete five tasks (of any kind), just to look kinda busy. (5 Tasks)"
  • Image "Do five technical tasks to make sure Timothy didn't mess anything up. (5 Technical Tasks)"
Last edited by LPFinale on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

One thing I noticed, going back to the first couple of posts, is that we didn't get a dossier on Mahavir's likes/dislikes. You know, like how we just got Winston's in this one.

I asked this in the old SA thread, so I'll ask it again:

Of the people we haven't met on the title screen, who do you think Pearl is?

MITZE wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:32 pm
Junpei wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 pm
One thing I noticed, going back to the first couple of posts, is that we didn't get a dossier on Mahavir's likes/dislikes. You know, like how we just got Winston's in this one.

Are the quotes on those dossiers actual in-game quotes? It's a shame if not; the conversations that featured Tara's and Winston's seem like they'd have been funny to hear.
Sadly not. They're flavor text, but they're flavor text I greatly, greatly appreciate.

As for Mahavir's dossier, I'm saving his for the Season 2 Writeup Roundup since we still have a mechanic or two to introduce before I can go full infodump on people's skillsets. Denise has one too, so that'll be nice to show off as well. Don't worry, though, they're coming up pretty soon. Roughly just after Episode 8 is when they'd start, I think.

Man, I remember I loved having Winston around in the office when I played the game ages ago. He's just so chill and does his job really well.

Too bad he's freelance.

I'm gonna give a guess that Pearl is the old woman. Just from looking at Winston's dossier, the only female character not introduced but shown in the dossier so far is her. I'm gonna guess that she's the one that handles the purple/pink tasks, whatever they are.

Episode 5: Outro Update

Video:

Well, we managed to get through those two days alright, I'd hope. Let's see how the aftermath turns out, for once, in our first Outro of the game.

Image Time to go? Excellent! I really need to get home and disco nap before going out...
Image A disco? You nap enough for a rave. In a 50,000 square foot warehouse.

Not eeeeeeven wrong. :roll:

I feel like you're a bit too excited at that prospect, big guy, considering the bottomless well of sarcasm the comment came from.

Image Hey, wait up!

Never a moment's peace for Winston, it seems.

Image Bye, Denise. Thanks, um... you're a nice office manager.
Image Oh, Tara, no. Thank you, I...

D'awww :)

Image Shining Beauty...
Image ...Warrior Himiko X.

It's very important, Denise, we're near the end of the season's current character arc. Who knows what could happen to Himiko?

Denise continues to remain a pure and encouraging energy despite signs of stress from this Episode's intro, thankfully.

Though, there's still one person we need to check up on...

Image Timothy! Are you all right?
Image So... so much work... technical... I can't...

That, uh. That's a bad sign, huh. :?

Image Oh dear. You kind of overdid it today, huh? Do you, ah...

Iiiiiiii think this goes beyond regular stress at this point to something medical. This needs to stop. :(

Image Timothy... you work so hard, but don't forget to relax, too!

Not sure how much this'll help right now since being this far gone is... well, it's frankly a coin flip whether the point's missed or they take it too far somehow, in my experience. Still, what else can we do?

Image ...so seriously? My JOB?
Image Here, let me go shut down my computer and we'll walk out together.

That... seems to have gotten him to pause, at least. Here's hoping something good comes of it.

Of course, we'll need to wait until next time to find out. See you then.

Connecting...

Checking Status: Online

Chatroom Created

Image That was painful to watch for a while there.
Image You're telling me. It's been a while since I've seen someone that close to melting down.
Image Don't make me say it.
Image Yeah, yeah, I know. More importantly, new girl's handling this... okay? It's hard to tell.
Image I kinda looked away near the end of the footage, and I'd... rather not see that again. How'd it go?
Image She tried to reassure him, and I think that'd work in most situations, but he's far and away over the edge. There's no telling how he'll take her advice at this point.
Image I can only hope this doesn't come back to bite her tomorrow. She was doing pretty well so far.
Image I'm willing to see where this goes, at least. No use getting overzealous with moving on. We've got time, so we might as well use it. ...oh, and I was wondering.
Image Yeah?
Image How did the network requests through their office actually go?
Image Results from tech support indicate no real problems. Inefficient, maybe, but nothing pressing. He did okay.
Image ...I'm glad to hear that. See you in the aftermath of all this?
Image Without a doubt. No matter what happens, it'll need to be discussed.

Chatroom Closed
Last edited by LPFinale on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All of Timothy's expressions are perfect. He's great. I think a lot of offices probably have a guy like him who is too tightly wound; the one in my current workplace is called Nigel.

Episode 6: Story Update

Video:

Well then... last time, Denise gave Timothy some advice. How he could've taken it is unclear, given his mental state at the time.

Though it seems whatever way it went doesn't seem worse for him, so... here's hoping??? :?

We enter on just another day at the office...

Image Is he in the kitchen eating that stroganasty stuff?
Image Augh! Don't make me think about that stench so early in the morning! I'm still nauseous from yesterday!

At this point, I think it's pretty clear that whatever Timothy's tastes in stroganoff are, it involves some pungent stuff. ...though that kinda makes me wanna try whatever kind he's having, it sounds interesting.

True, he's usually here super early. Hmm...

Ah, there we go. So, Timothy, about last night-

:|

Image What did he just say? Timothy? Is that you, or just someone that looks suspiciously like you?
Image Yeah, what's wrong? Did you just wake up from another NAP or something?

Ooooookay. This isn't as bad as it could've gone, though he seems to have run a cross-country marathon to the other extreme end of the Stress/Relax spectrum.

Image Right. I've got some tasks to get on.

...uh oh. We've heard words incredibly similar to those before.

Image OK, now I'm starting to wonder who you are too.

NotourfaultIswear-

Image Did you replace Timothy? Are the rest of the body-snatchers going to beam down soon?

Wouldn't be a terrible deal, as long as we still get paid.

Image Nah, you wiseguys! I just have a new outlook on life - thanks to Denise!
Image What? Thanks to me?
Image Yeah!

Okay so this might totally be our fault.

...welp, that one flew right over my head back when I first played and it still does today, so to Wikipedia we go.
Ke-mo sah-bee (/ˌkiːmoʊˈsɑːbiː/; often spelled kemo sabe, kemosabe or kimosabe) is the term of endearment used by the fictional Native American sidekick Tonto in the American television and radio programs The Lone Ranger. It has become a common catchphrase.

Ultimately derived from gimoozaabi, an Ojibwe and Potawatomi word that may mean "he/she looks out in secret",[1] it is sometimes translated as "trusty scout" (Movie; The Lone Ranger. 1956) or "faithful friend".[2]
Okay, then. Guess Timothy's into some old shows?

Image Call me if there's any work...

...well, regardless of his new outlook, I think he might still be a bit bitter about yesterday, Winston. Whoops.

Image I have more important things to think about, like my new stroganoff recipe!

I really have to wonder what Timothy's put in that new recipe if it's to the point where even Winston hates it now.

Image I think he could use a break! Mahavir, you can handle his financial tasks pretty well, right?

Why am I not surprised?

Image What? Why not?
Image I was out all night at that rave Winston told me about. I need to get some rest!

Wait what

Image What? That text message wasn't from you?
Image I don't go to raves!!!

...okay, it all makes sense now. Aside from learning that Mahavir will answer texts to go to a warehouse in the middle of the night from an unknown number.

Image Tara?
Image I'm almost done with this portrait of Eternal Lunar Himiko. Don't let anyone near the whiteboard.

Oooh, she got a new form in last night's episode? This'll be a portrait for the ages~

Oh, we will. It just might involve copious amounts of coffee.

Next time, we take care of business here with several Employees down. See you then.
Last edited by LPFinale on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy's little happy dance is awfully cute, you have to admit. :3

If there is such a thing as a real chill pill, Timothy just OD'd on them.

I think this is the first time I can ever safely say someone overdosed on chill pills.

On the one hand, at least he isn't a ticking timebomb. On the other, I get the feeling like there's a lot of financial work headed our way, and it's not going to be pretty.

I can't wait to see what a clustermess today's goals are.

Boy, Mahavir just doesn't want to do any work, huh?

May as well just give him downward arrows for all tasks in that case!

Taiyo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:43 am
Boy, Mahavir just doesn't want to do any work, huh?

May as well just give him downward arrows for all tasks in that case!
Funny thing is that since the indicators just give a general summary of how well they handle certain Tasks, it's basically just an indicator of their speed combined with their Stress gained, unless they have beef with that type for some reason. Mahavir's an... interesting case, one I'll be looking forward to covering once we hit Episode 8's Intro or thereabouts.

MITZE wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 am
I checked the first page of posts and can't find it, was what happens when somebody non-Denise gets completely stressed out covered? Do they just have a period of being uncontrollable and useless (and maybe of stressing out everyone else by tangent)?
Ah right, I ought to cover that. I was expecting to run into the tutorial blurb about it, but I guess I got too far ahead or brushed over it when it did.

If their Stress meter completely fills (there's a little bit that still needs to increase after it fills visually, as a kind of leeway), they Burn Out and have to go home for the day. All Goals they're involved with get big Xs scribbled over them in what looks like a dried-out red permanent marker. They'll be back the next day, and it's not inherently a run-killer like Denise having a Burn Out, but some Goals also have the caveat that no one is allowed to Burn Out, regardless of their involvement.

Well this is going to be interesting.

Episode 6: Gameplay Update, "Seriously No More"

:siren: Video:

With that intro giving us a taste of what's to come today, let's get on with it, shall we?

Well, despite the intro, Tara doesn't have a Required Goal of finishing her portrait. Must be Optional.

Oh right, I almost forgot to mention...

200 Seconds at the microwave. Reminder that one Day right now is 140 Seconds. I'm beginning to think nobody besides Timothy uses the office's presumably-offscreen refrigerator. Even if they did, unless your name is Timothy, there will not be room for your lunch in there.

In addition, Timothy wants to get through a Day without completing any Tasks. This isn't as bad as it might look at first, but it does limit our options and make sure we know how to pour Coffee down our Employees' gullets.

Ah, right, no Deluxe Marker Goal today. Instead, we get to purchase one of these bad boys for Timothy, presumably.

As shown here, the Red Classique Stapler costs $35 of petty cash, $5 more than two Deluxe Markers! However, if you somehow have the funds and opportunity to make use of this next bit, it will reduce Timothy's Stress by 100. A full reset, guaranteed. Probably not worth the cash for that, but a nice side effect.

As a bonus feature, I recall reading somewhere that this thing is a reference to The Office? I'd believe it.

Oh, and I did a test or two, and I'm pretty sure the Deluxe Markers do actually lower Tara's Stress by 90, so those are great.

Here's our starting positions for the day; Tara begins the day with some Stress, and she, Mahavir, and Timothy are where they were at the end of the Intro. The Art Task came in just after we started, and I'll have Mahavir work on it since Winston is mildly annoyed at Timothy's stroganoff for this Episode.

Note that Timothy's Goal to do no Tasks in a single day is simply marked with the outline of an X. This kind of Goal checks for a binary condition or two, and if it's detected, the Goal is failed; you have to reach the end of a Day without triggering it. ...there is an exception, but it's not gonna be here for a long time.

Oh, and an interesting side note: Timothy no longer gains Stress from Mahavir taking a nap. This is more apparent to those of you watching the video, since his jagged bubble doesn't flip back and forth between a Couch and a Whiteboard, it's just the Whiteboard. The Art Task trauma never leaves, even after chugging chill pills, but it no longer stresses him out to the point of gaining Stress unless he's also working!

First things first, we're gonna need these. Trust me.

We have Mahavir work on this Art Task, but of course, since Winston has a Goal from Timothy to do 15 Tasks of any kind, I think you all know where this is going.

The answer is that I forgot Tara doesn't actually have a Goal to draw on the whiteboard yet and won't remember this for a long time, shhhhhhh

We take the nearly-complete Art Task from Mahavir and hand it off to Winston to further the Goal. All the man has to do is the conclusion slide on the Powerpoint. You can do it, buddy.

Another Art Task comes in that we have Mahavir chip down while we get busy piling Tasks on Winston's desk for the reckoning. This is gonna be beautiful.

Oh yeah. Heeeeere we go~

GLORIOUS CAFFEINE :twisted:

And this is why we bought two Coffees with our starting money. We're gonna do it again~

This is right about when I remembered Tara had no Goal yet, so I could've been having her do the chip work on those Art Tasks instead of Mahavir. Whoops!

Good thing I remembered, too, because I'd have wasted a lot of time getting Mahavir to do this 3-Bar Art Task.

Winston's getting worked up again, but Mahavir's nearly done with his nap, and Winston's gonna finish his own Goal shortly for a second Morale Boost.

There's that nap done, with this Financial Task making the Task Goal soon to follow.

Hmm, a Goal that seems to be for Tara doodling on the whiteboard alongside a Goal for Mahavir, both unlocked by Mahavir's Goal. I don't think I need to say what his Goal is.

This is the third Tara Talk Goal, by the way. Thought I might as well point that out while Winston's notification finally came up.

Oh yeah, and Timothy doesn't get stressed from people being at the Water Cooler anymore, either. He's really calmed down for the most part in terms of what others are doing. :D

I've been putting Art Tasks on Mahavir's desk for when Tara gets too stressed to keep talking to him, but it's nearly the end of the day anyway, and there's so many Art Tasks that'll stress Denise out. Might as well get some progress on Tara's Goal instead.

This'll basically be the last little bit of the day. We don't have enough money for that Stapler yet, but it doesn't look too far off.

And there we go, no Tasks for Timothy in an entire day. Thankfully, the introduction to this kind of Goal is pretty easy, thanks to Winston and Tara even if I completely forgot she was available for the first half of the day.

There's the Red Classique Stapler Goal. So yes, we do need that money, and we'll have it pretty soon tomorrow.

This should be easy enough to take care of today, no sweat. This is all well within the 140 Seconds we're given per Day.

Our starting positions without the Intro's influence. Tara's the only one this Episode with any starting Stress.

Just some simple positions for the day. Tara and Timothy working on their Goals, with Mahavir and Winston earning enough cash for that Stapler.

Oh right, and also getting this one out of the way. It'll be quick, at least, so that Task won't be overdue for long.

All done, and now for that glorious portrait of Eternal Luna Himiko to be finished. Almost enough cash for another Goal, too, so...

...we time our entrance to be as close to earning $35 of petty cash as possible. Shave those seconds down until the edges are finely-sanded!

I would be happy to be informed of what exactly makes this a reference to The Office, as I haven't seen either of them extensively. I know some good clips from the American one, at least.

Timothy has finished consulting the eldritch beings of the Stroganoff Dimension through the portal in the fridge, so we can finally send him back to his desk. Note that while he's much more calm about the activities of others, work still Stresses him pretty badly; his Moodifiers for working haven't changed, probably because that'd be extremely difficult to lower based on how things are set up in the code. ...well, it's a simple matter to make certain tasks more stressful for an Episode, but... well, that's for the spinning plates of different Episodes~

And we even get him to pick up the Stapler too, taking care of that quickly.

And now that the notifications have stopped, the game catches up and alerts us that we're done! ...well, I'm not, but anyone just looking for Required Goals is!

Just imagine this for the rest of Tara's drawing. She needs to put the finishing touches on the hair ornaments and sleeves, and we don't really have anything else to do.

And there we have it! Season 1's gameplay, fully capped off! And of course, our final rating...

...is passing with flying colors! Only fitting, considering this is the final challenge of Season 1.

Now, there's an Outro for the final Episode in each Season, which I'll be referring to as the Season Finale. Missed opportunity to not call it that in-game, but I suppose that'd take some UI adjustments that weren't fully necessary.

In other words, next time, we'll see our very first Season Finale. See you then~

Goal Writeup

Time Per Day: 140 Seconds

Task Types
  • Image Art Tasks: 28.5%
  • Image Financial Tasks: 28.5%
  • Image Technical Tasks: 43%
Task Bursts
  • 1-Task Burst, Applies Delay of 5-8 Seconds: 100%
Task Sizes
  • Image 2-Bar Tasks: 50%
  • Image 3-Bar Tasks: 50%
Required Goals
  • Image "Get through one day without doing any tasks at all! (No Completed Tasks)" Unlocks Optional Goal #1
  • Image "Tim wants that know-it-all Winston to complete fifteen tasks. (15 Tasks)"
  • Image "Hang out in the kitchen, chillin' with some stroganoff. (200 Seconds)"
  • Image "Take a nap on the couch. (60 Seconds)" Unlocks Optional Goals #2 and #3
Optional Goals
  • Image "Get the crown jewel of office supplies, the Red Classique Stapler, from OfficeTown. (1 Red Classique Stapler)"
  • Image "Doodle on the whiteboard. (90 Seconds)"
  • Image "Chat Tara up at the water cooler. (45 Seconds)"
Last edited by LPFinale on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coffee: Nectar of the gods. :shock:

The red stapler is actually a reference to the 1999 film Office Space. At the time, Swingline didn't sell red staplers, so the props department carefully and painstakingly painted a Swingline stapler of a different color red.

Then people starting calling into Swingline and asking if they could order one, and the rest was history.

Quackles wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:30 am
The red stapler is actually a reference to the 1999 film Office Space. At the time, Swingline didn't sell red staplers, so the props department carefully and painstakingly painted a Swingline stapler of a different color red.

Then people starting calling into Swingline and asking if they could order one, and the rest was history.
This is far more glorious than I could have ever imagined.

I'm sure everyone is glad Timothy no longer gets stressed by most of the others doing their relaxing activities. If abit weirded out.

and the stapler was owned by an extremely neurotic character (who understandably snaps after what he's been put through)

I forget if it was a non-update post on the SA site or if it was in a previous one, but you said that there were basically two people in this game you'd be friends with IRL. Am I correct in assuming that Winston is one of them?

I think I know who the other is, and they won't be long.

Junpei wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:18 am
I forget if it was a non-update post on the SA site or if it was in a previous one, but you said that there were basically two people in this game you'd be friends with IRL. Am I correct in assuming that Winston is one of them?

I think I know who the other is, and they won't be long.
Yeah, it was on the SA site in a spoiler tagged thing I had to remove since, at the time, spoiler tags here were non-functioning. It was moreso that they make pretty decent friends, but probably not relationship material if Mahavir were ever to act on that statement of his love knowing no bounds. Winston in particular is moreso that kind of friendly acquaintance with a side of aggravation towards Mahavir. Not sure if I'd have Winston or the next guy as friends myself, but they're good guys.

And the statement was just regarding the male cast. I'm more than certain Denise and Tara would make good friends, and maybe even someone much later on to an extent.

Spoiler tags work now! Example: Mahavir is tired. (not an actual spoiler - click on it to show it)

Quackles wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:47 am
Spoiler tags work now! Example: Mahavir is tired. (not an actual spoiler - click on it to show it)
That's good to hear, thank you. I'll keep it in mind in the future.

With all the talk of beef stroganoff and people on SA being like, well it's probably microwavable... and then Timothy mentions a recipe. No, that's homemade stuff he's microwaving.

It doesn't smell BAD, it just has a very intensely savoury smell that can be extremely distracting if you're not hungry. And he's filling the entire office with it like a dingus.

Season 1 Finale Update

Video:

Well then... we've done so much for the office, and Timothy's mental state has managed to markedly improve, even if it was a bit lucky. The aftermath will be something to see, I'm sure.

Image Oh gosh, I really don't even know! Unless it was just me saying that he didn't have to take his job so seriously!

Pretty sure it was exactly that, Denise.

Image Hah!

Well, I suppose we did get to him around the time when he was feeling his worst about work... that might've done it.

Image I... I did? Is he going to be OK?
Image Probably good for him in the long run.

That's good to hear, at least. Seems things are going his way for once.

Image Because it would be a health hazard?

As someone who's recently learned one of their favorite dishes is probably a stroganoff (beef medallions with rice and mushrooms and a sauce made with the juices, sour cream, and flour), I'm gonna go ahead and say that's not the reason, Mahavir.

Image Because...
Image Whatever, dude...
Image What?! Dude?

This is probably the least shocking part of his behavior shift, and it's somehow the part you get the most hung up on?

Image Yes, Timothy? How are you feeling?
Image Not so great. I'm kind of tired of this joint, you dig?

This is your reminder that Denise is still adorable.

Also, guess it's only natural that Timothy would still be harboring some stress even after taking steps towards change. It's never an instant process, even if he's certainly taken a huge step at once, already. :)

Image I realized you're right. I don't need this job.

...o-oh?

Image I don't need... this stinking...

...yup, nowhere near fully okay yet. Keep at it. You've made tangible progress already, which is honestly impressive for like, one or two days of a changed mindset.

Image Ahem. Sorry about that. What I meant to say is, I'll be resigning.

Ah, yes. There we have it. It was probably coming a mile away the moment he walked in like that, but... here we are.

Image Well, I'm very proud of you, Timothy.
Image That's a first. You're proud of him?
Image Well, yes.

It's hard to put into words how it feels seeing this all come together like this, despite the slight volatility that remains in Timothy. It feels nice. :D

Image What exactly are you going to do next, anyway?
Image Oh, I know all of you think I'm just a mild-mannered accountant.

Image Well, not so much plans yet, but I'll make some plans.

There ya go. To the drawing board with you. ...unless it's Tara's drawing board, that's kind of taken for the months to come.

Image I don't know what they'll be, but one thing is for sure...

I'd certainly hope so, considering how much you pour yourself into it. ...I choose to believe it's something simple like cooking, instead of some eldritch usage of stroganoff where it very much should not be as is implied by the emphasis. :?

...wait, what?

Yeah, that. What???

Image I think he meant hasta luego. But who knows with that guy...

Yeah, uh... let's hope he meant the latter, yeah? The former bodes ill, metaphorical or not.

Image I hope you can explain all this to the management... and Pearl.

...o-oh. Right. She's not back yet. She's still on her way. :shock:

Image Pearl?
Image Oh, you'll see.

Aaaaaand the dread chill down my back has returned. Good note to end on.

Next season on Miss Management, we see soooooon enough. See you then.

Connecting...

Checking Status: Online

Chatroom Created

Image That was... wow. Just wow.
Image You're telling me.
Image Two weeks in, and already someone’s resigned, and yet... on better terms for their future. Of all the things I was prepared for from a new arrival in charge, this wasn’t even on my radar, let alone the last thing I expected.
Image Do you mean that in a good way?
Image It's... well, people leave. That's just going to happen in an office, regardless of who's in charge. Seeing him walk out with his head held high and on generally good terms is astounding. It's gonna impact their work for a while, but I get the feeling that would've been the case if he stayed here as a nervous wreck, too.
Image So what I'm hearing is "Keep the cameras tapped, I cannot stress this enough."
Image You better. This is panning out too well to even consider reducing our observation. She's going to be perfect for what I need, mark my words.
Image Okay. I do wish you'd be a bit more vocal with me about whatever this plan is, but... well, I guess if it has to be that tightly-guarded, that just shows how serious this is. I'll see to making sure the surveillance remains uninterrupted as long as possible, for as long as you need, if it means this will work.
Image That's perfect. I know I don't say it enough, but... thank you. This means everything to me right now. This has to work.
Image I know that much, at least. And you're welcome. Don't worry about saying it. I'll know. Believe me.
Image Then I suppose we'll talk again once she returns?
Image No doubt. Talk to you then.

Chatroom Closed
Last edited by LPFinale on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welp, looks like Mahavir will actually need to do some work. About time.

Though, I have a feeling he's just going to pass it off to her anyway. Somehow. Should be interesting.

And, now, we are officially out of the tutorial zone!

I can't wait for those character write-ups. I'm always down for 'class descriptions' in RPG games like Etrian Oddysey and the like, and I'm sure this will be illuminating!

But wait, now that Mahavir doesn't have any stroganoff to drive him crazy, what are we going to do to put his stress up?

Blastinus wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:45 pm
But wait, now that Mahavir doesn't have any stroganoff to drive him crazy, what are we going to do to put his stress up?
Next employee to inherit Timothy desk finds his homemade stroganoff recipe in one of the drawers. After one bite he is hooked...

Blastinus wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:45 pm
I'm pretty sure there will be more chances to drive Mahavir's stress up later on in the story. :twisted: