It Ain't Over Until The FAT32 Lady Sings - Let's Play The Halo Saga

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Reposting this from my YT Comment since I think this could be good discussion
his is gonna sound weird, but I wonder if the game design was part of the decision to avoid having the Arbiter engage human troops too?
Human Weapons are in-general, really fucking good save for SMGs, and in particular they have a bigger spread of precision and power weapons like Snipers. Magnums, and Shotties compared to the surprisingly small list of Covenant offerings, they also don't have an obvious caste system, remember the flood mooks in Halo 1 with their random weapons being super spooky to fight because of surprise rockets and shotties?
Humans would be entirely that since its not obvious who would have what, meanwhile Covenant is clearcut, Grunts get Plasma Pistols, Needlers, and occasionally Fuel Rod Guns, Jackals get Carbines, Beam Rifles, Elites tend to get Plasma Rifles and Swords, or power weapons, etc, similarly, Humans lack "power" units to field that aren't vehicles, like high-rank Elites or Hunters
Human weapons also lack the obvious weaknesses of the bigger guns the Covenant use, that effectively strangleholds the AI, like Plasma Rifles overheating and Needlers being terrible unless they get a supercombine trigger, every single Human weapon does one thing, no tricks, no artificial weaknesses, they do DAMAGE, a squad of 6 dudes with Assault Rifles or BRs would tear the player apart if they got clean fire because they're never forced to stop or deal ineffective damage save for reloading, and you've seen how aggressively the marines can just unleash bullets at things if given a tough enough target before
Additionally, the Arbiter Chapters tend to give you minimal allied troops compared to Chief's regular entourage, so avoiding combat with humans helps keep the player's Friend or Foe reflexes tuned towards the Covenant and Sentinels, and makes the swapping less disorienting for combat

09 - Quarantine Zone

The Arbiter continues towards the Library and the Sacred Icon, hoping to get there before the Humans do.

Cloudmonkey98 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:03 pm
Reposting this from my YT Comment since I think this could be good discussion
his is gonna sound weird, but I wonder if the game design was part of the decision to avoid having the Arbiter engage human troops too?
Human Weapons are in-general, really fucking good save for SMGs, and in particular they have a bigger spread of precision and power weapons like Snipers. Magnums, and Shotties compared to the surprisingly small list of Covenant offerings, they also don't have an obvious caste system, remember the flood mooks in Halo 1 with their random weapons being super spooky to fight because of surprise rockets and shotties?
Humans would be entirely that since its not obvious who would have what, meanwhile Covenant is clearcut, Grunts get Plasma Pistols, Needlers, and occasionally Fuel Rod Guns, Jackals get Carbines, Beam Rifles, Elites tend to get Plasma Rifles and Swords, or power weapons, etc, similarly, Humans lack "power" units to field that aren't vehicles, like high-rank Elites or Hunters
Human weapons also lack the obvious weaknesses of the bigger guns the Covenant use, that effectively strangleholds the AI, like Plasma Rifles overheating and Needlers being terrible unless they get a supercombine trigger, every single Human weapon does one thing, no tricks, no artificial weaknesses, they do DAMAGE, a squad of 6 dudes with Assault Rifles or BRs would tear the player apart if they got clean fire because they're never forced to stop or deal ineffective damage save for reloading, and you've seen how aggressively the marines can just unleash bullets at things if given a tough enough target before
Additionally, the Arbiter Chapters tend to give you minimal allied troops compared to Chief's regular entourage, so avoiding combat with humans helps keep the player's Friend or Foe reflexes tuned towards the Covenant and Sentinels, and makes the swapping less disorienting for combat
Ah, I didn't realize you posted it here too. I think you have a really good point about the Covenant being clearly "tuned" to be enemies, while the humans really aren't. The one thing I thought of is that since Covenant use mostly plasma weapons, they do a lot of shield damage but relatively little health damage. That way the player gets the shield warning and has time to take cover. If you were fighting humans (or a lot of flood with assault rifles) by the time you register the shield warning, you're probably almost dead since those same bullets are now chewing up your health.

Thats an aspect I didn't think of, yeah, and its one the player can actually experience in some games, I don't recall its name, but there's a Skull that flips Shield/HP damage resistances, so you take minor shield damage from energy and plasma, but almost immediately melt once they break it
Similarly, the obvious Covenant physical weapons all kinda stink, the only normal one is the Carbine, and its a bit weak, Needlers rely on their crack ping second hit, or Supercombine explosion, the former of which is more effective at being suppressing fire on shields due to its delay, Needle Rifles are slow, and have the same issues, and while from the future, Spikers and Spike Grenades are kinda low on damage and fire rate, feeling like a straight-damage cousin of Needlers in specs, which actually reminds me, a lot of Covenant weapons have flight time, most human weapons are hitscan, the exceptions are like, Carbines and the Covvie Sniper weapons, which is a very Quake/Doom design decision, since it means movement can still have a greater influence on survival
It also means that "human" weapon drop-points are genuine breaths of relief, as you get weapons that work quickly and reliably, and have good specs, rather then having to juggle Plasma Rifles that are struggling to actually execute targets, I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but it feels like you close in for melee far more often when using plasma weaponry

In a non-game design discussion, thank you for your continued uploads, this series has been great!

So I found out yesterday from watching a friend play Halo 1 for the first time
Marines might not be willing to drive Warthogs in that game, but you know what they WILL drive? Ghosts, they will happily snag Ghosts you leave empty and run you over because they have no sense of space

Cloudmonkey98 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:48 pm
So I found out yesterday from watching a friend play Halo 1 for the first time
Marines might not be willing to drive Warthogs in that game, but you know what they WILL drive? Ghosts, they will happily snag Ghosts you leave empty and run you over because they have no sense of space
lol yeah I'm pretty sure it's the exact same pathfinding for the Marines when they're driving Ghosts as it is while walking. They just don't realize they now move really quickly and hover and slide. You can see a Marine driving a Ghost way back in my Assault on the Control Room video, but I think I got distracted and forgot to point it out and he got blown up by a Wraith pretty quickly.

XX - The Covenant and Arbiters

We've been given an inside look at some of the Covenant's workings, but how about some broader context?

10 - Gravemind

After a very awkward meeting, the Master Chief takes the fight to the Covenant's home turf.

11 - Uprising

Time for the Arbiter to get a little payback on the traitorous Brutes.

12 - High Charity

This neighborhood has really gone downhill. The Chief needs to find Truth and get out of here!