Puzzle League in the UK - Let's Play Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!

Put your Let's Plays in here.

About the Game
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure is a fantastic 2008 action puzzle/platformer for the Nintendo DS. It is quite literally a puzzle/platformer - we'll be simultaneously juggling a 2D action game on one screen, and a Puzzle League clone on the other. This game is charming, hilarious, and has some of the best video game music you've never heard before. It's also hard. Like, absurdly hard - you won't really get a sense of it in the first few videos, but the game's difficulty is oftentimes unrelenting.

Oh and it was developed by the same studio who makes the Madden NFL series. So who better to make an LP of the most British game ever made by an American studio than a Canadian named theenglishman?

Our hero, Henry Hatsworth, is a professor of practical adventuring and a member of the prestigious Pompous Adventurers' Club. He and his boyservant/sidekick Cole steal acquire ancient relics for the glory and fun of it all. But then, well, I think the plot blurb from the manual summarizes this games best (huge thanks to Quackles for scanning his copy for me!)
Henry Hatsworth User Manual wrote:Henry Hatsworth begins his well-dressed adventure deep in the jungle: where he is looking for a legendary golden hat. Rumour has it the hat is cursed, but Hatsworth is far too much of a realist to believe in such things. However, if he finds such a hat, and the curse is actually true. perhaps it would be just the first of many exploits. Unfortunately, Hatsworth isn't the only adventurer searching for lost treasures. He's got competition, namely his rival, Weasleby. the Pompous Adventurers' Club's #2 adventurer. Arrogant and resourceful, Weasleby will stop at nothing to prove he's a better adventurer than Hatsworth even resorting to sneaky, underhanded tactics.

About the LP
Joining me as always are pdPreciousRoy and ChaosArgate. Both are going in completely blind (Chaos saw a few minutes of test footage but that doesn't count) and I cannot wait to see their reactions to some of the craziest moments. This will be a 100% LP - we'll be getting every upgrade and completing every secret level. This is one of those games where getting everything is almost a requirement to beat the final boss - and even then, you'll need all the help you can get.

As a special incentive to shamelessly promote the thread get people interested in the game, I'll be putting up the first upload today and the second on Sunday. From then on, there'll be one update every Sunday around 10 am EST, and hopefully I'll remember to update the thread. That seemed to be a problem in my last time, but that megathread also lasted a very long time, and I expect this one to be much shorter.

Unlike my previous LPs, there will not be separate videos for cut and uncut commentary - it's not like this game has the deepest lore or anything. That being said, please don't spoil anything related to upcoming gameplay or the small amount of story the game does have. Especially that boss. You know the one.

Videos

Full Playlist

Last edited by theenglishman on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Reserving the second post for some more cool stuff!

Site Admin
Ahhh, the good old Rainbow Islands style treasure chest, the lightly snide play on colonialism (in a good way), and Hatsworth, the epitome of the tea drinking plunderer of other cultures refined gentleman adventurer!

Gotta admit, one of the other obstacles of an LP like this is that the game looks intimidating af. But it is a good game, and highly recommended. :3:

Ooh, looking forward to this.

Considering the uh... artifacts are undeniably English I wonder if it was ever considered to pull an Assassin's Creed and go frolicking through old European ruins instead. I suppose old buildings just aren't good looking enough.

I just realized that I have a family commitment on Sunday which means I may not be able to update the thread on time, so I'll post this update today instead. Future updates will be on Sundays as scheduled - once I've gotten my backlog completely filled up, I will switch to two updates a week.

I think I'm going to stick to Saturdays for updates, since it's better for me - if that's okay with everyone.

Anyway, in this week's update, we're finishing up World 1, and this is where the difficulty spike really kicks in.

It's late enough, just pretend it's Saturday okay? :)

In this video, we meet the best villain in the game, and there's some stiff competition in that department.

Time to find some secrets!

Yall doing good work, I never got far in this game, focus wavered, but I could see the potential for difficulty early, and I'm glad its followed through, I feel like you coulda done that bonus stage far more cleanly if you had been more aggressive against the turret dudes because holy crap they're EVIL in terms of timing/placement, can't wait to see true pain in this game

It's time for the Lance Banson fight, generally considered the best boss fight in the game. I don't want to spoil anything, but...you'll see why.

(Extra-special thanks to Quackles for helping me out with something later in this video.)

Starting with this update, my microphone is going to sound a little crappy. I had to move my home office to a new room with terrible windows, and I won't be getting replacement windows until April at the earliest. It sucks, but what can I do, right?

Anyway, it's time to start World 3, as Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure's continues its ceaseless quest to kick the player's ass in every single level.

In today's episode, Henry takes a trip to hell and Weasleby has a perfectly normal conversation with a senior citizen.

Today's a double update as we finish World 3 and fight the Captain!

In this week's update, we start World 4, entering the Puzzle Realm itself and...oh dear...they did WHAT with the level design?!

I hope you like fighting Weaselby because these fights are a good chunk of World 4.