Let's Play and Partae with Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero!

Put your Let's Plays in here.

"Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero" is a 2016 2D Sidescroller/Metroidvania by Wayforward. It is the fourth game in the Shantae series which started on the Gameboy Color. This is the first HD one! It was successfully kickstarted back in 2013 and came out on pretty much all platforms!

As the name suggests, the games feature a Half Genie called Shantae. Who attacks with her purple hair! This one in particular has some super beautiful art and levels. HGH is a little more dialogue heavy than your typical Metroidvania but no worries, the writing is mostly great!

The game basically feels like it was made for me, as it somehow features most of the things I put in a Game-jam game I made myself years back.

I'll be playing the PC version. It's not a very long game, it has 5 linear levels you can revisit (and will revisit often) and a final 6th one. So the videos are delineated by level (like 1-1 and 1-2 to finish out the first level). Usually there's some set-up before the next level unlocks.

The game also features many different kinds of modes and DLC. They mostly re-use a lot of content/levels. I won't be playing through all of them, maybe show off a few modes or DLC after the main run.

Pods will normally be joining me for (most of) the playthrough.

Let's Play & Break?
Not this time! There's not really much to break. It's just a fun, very tight game we're gonna enjoy.

Any place to support you?
Yes! I have a patreon at https://www.patreon.com/jaffy.

You can also find my previous stuff on the kilobops website. Alternatively on LPArchive.org or on my YouTube channel itself.

Finally, you can join my discord if you wish! https://discord.gg/8hgEeuR

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
Last edited by Jaffy on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 19 times in total.

ImageImage

We didn't see much actual game play yet, I didn't want to leave you hanging, so....

ImageImage

Time for P.O.O.P. T.O.O.T.!

Poop Toot drew a bad lot in life. And half-genies need a union it seems.

Kibayasu wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:19 am
Poop Toot drew a bad lot in life. And half-genies need a union it seems.
For suure!

Time for Act 2! Is the audio mixing an improvement?

ImageImage

All Monkey Business here.

ImageImage

*BONK*

ImageImage

What am I supposed to write here again?

It seems a bit weird that Shantae doesn't know about a ruined town in what appears to be the immediate vicinity of her hometown, but who knows how accurate that maps is.

By the way, that Spyro with the flag at the end of the videos always kind of makes me happy :3:

Carpator Diei wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am
It seems a bit weird that Shantae doesn't know about a ruined town in what appears to be the immediate vicinity of her hometown, but who knows how accurate that maps is.

By the way, that Spyro with the flag at the end of the videos always kind of makes me happy :3:
Yeah! And thanks! I love it too. Thanks to the artist, Sapphirre98!

ImageImage

WIIIIIILLLL-BURRRRR!!!

I'm beginning to think this game gets darker the more you think about it! So let's not think, Let's race!

ImageImage

Time for The BIG RACE!!

A little late, sorry for the delay.

ImageImage

SUMMON THE BOYS!!!!!

The fetch questing ramps up.

ImageImage

In which we get Down with The Sickness

Late again! Sorry scheduling commentary with Pods has been hard. So while we wait for the next episode of the HGH LP; Let's take a peek at the game that started it all!

ImageImage

VICIOGAME channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/viciogame/featured

ImageImage

In this episode: UNSPEAKABLE DOOM! And monster girls!!

ImageImage

CAN'T BEAT 100%* (actually 98* in this ep but okay, you get the point)

ImageImage

Would YOU like to get Norted?

ImageImage

We're right at the end of the game!

The finale will premiere on YouTube tomorrow! Check that out here: https://youtu.be/qXCRg_sTzUc

ImageImage

That's it for the main game! Thank you so much for joining us on this LP! Look forward to the Pirate Queen DLC videos and whatever's next!!

ImageImage

I wanted to show off this DLC as I quite liked it! I mean, we play as the villain!!

ImageImage

We tackle levels 3 and 4 in this one and get some more cool abilities.

ImageImage

We finish up the DLC, and with that, the LP! A short bonus video for concept art non-withstanding.

ImageImage

A last little video showing off the Art Gallery in the game. See you soon for the next series!