Dance in the Dark with the Shadows of the Damned

Put your Let's Plays in here.
"A Suda 51 Trip"?
Contrary to what that tagline would lead you to believe, little of what makes a proper Suda 51 trip actually exists in this game. But that’s for later.

Explain Shadows of the Damned
Shadows of the Damned is a Grasshopper Manufacture developed third person shooter that was advertised as the coming together of industry legends like Akira Yamaoka, Shinji Mikami, and of course Suda 51. The game was also part of the old EA Partner program in which EA would help support and publish games developed by studios not owned by EA themselves. You can probably guess how the combination of these factors ended up going.

I know I could talk more about the game as it is on its own terms such as the gameplay or story, but frankly, it’s really fucking hard to. This was a game that took so many years to make and every idea Suda had from his original concept kept getting shot down left and right by the publisher backing it. While No More Heroes 2 had come out a year prior, this game was definitely the tipping point in Grasshopper’s history where their increased notoriety from No More Heroes led to an expansion in size, taking on of multiple projects, and all of them facing some serious compromises at the behest of its various publishers (and thus hampering Suda’s actual creativity until Travis Strikes Again).

So why play this now? Well, because as the years have gone on, Suda’s return to the director’s chair with Travis Strikes Again shows he was willing to reflect back on his company’s history and acknowledge that, despite this game’s development, there were still good things that came of it. In addition, Suda actually was able to bring his original vision for the game to life in the form of a two-volume manga, possibly contributing to his coming to terms with the game as it was. Its name? Kurayami Dance (or Dance in the Dark).

Kura...yami?
Kurayami was actually the very first name Suda had for Shadows of the Damned back in its concept phase. As such, the manga Kurayami Dance is as close as can be to that idea but with clearly different characters and setting. Suda’s original idea was to create a game that was inspired by the works of Franz Kafka, most specifically that of his unfinished work The Castle. While the manga doesn’t necessarily make it a focus, the original game concept of Kurayami was based on the idea of darkness as the true enemy. You weren’t supposed to use a gun to fight things hiding in the darkness, but to wield a torch that would push away the darkness itself. Instead, Kurayami Dance stays truer to the concept of The Castle in which a man embarks on a journey filled with needless obstruction and weird diversions just to get to a single destination and do his damn job.

The manga is a really good read, and because of it and the game sharing the same origin point, I felt for this let’s play I’d make it into a sort of half LP, half book club. Each update posted will conclude with a discussion about a chapter from the manga (sometimes two), discussing parallels to the finished game, references to Suda’s past work, his themes, all that good stuff. Of course, viewers are more than welcome to read the manga as well, preferably right before the video where specific chapters gets talked about. Its translated and freely available to read online. Hell, it's even got Suda's blessing so why not take the time to check it out?

link to the manga

Get ready to see just how an actual Suda story and a story that Suda happens to be involved with can differ wildly from each other, as Kaboom Dragoon and I muse on what works, what doesn't, and go off on all manner of silly tangents as we dive into this Kafka yet not quite Kafka underworld road movie.

Contents
Part 1: Going to Hell at 300 km/h || Kurayami Dance Ch. 1-2
Part 2: Takashi Miike's Alan Wake || Kurayami Dance Ch. 3
Part 3: A Different Kind of Hell || Kurayami Dance Ch. 4
Part 4: Hakuna Tanaka || Kurayami Dance Ch. 5
Part 5: So I Saw "Your Bottom" || Kurayami Dance Ch. 6
Part 6: Garcia Likes His Dick in Crazy || Kurayami Dance Ch. 7
Part 7: Boners || Kurayami Dance Ch. 8
Part 8: Butt-Chin McFuckface || Kurayami Dance Ch. 9
Part 9: Ripped to Shreds by my Leather Mexican Baby || Kurayami Dance Ch. 10
Part 10: "Half-Assing" is this Game's MO || Kurayami Dance Ch. 11
Part 11: Turns Out Hell is Just Third Impact || Kurayami Dance Ch. 12
Part 12: The LP Curse Can't Stop this Shit Show || Kurayami Dance Ch. 13-14
Part 13: The End of Kurayami || Kurayami Dance Ch. 15-16
Part FINAL: Demon Keeps-a Dreamin' of a Demon Town
Last edited by ArclightBorealis on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Well, this looks interesting. I'll definitely have to trawl the backlog before you update; I honestly didn't know you were working on an LP, much less of this oddball RE-like.

Part 7: Boners
We've reached that moment. The start of Act 4, Shadows of the Damned's absolute lowest point, starting with a dick joke so large it could inflict blunt force trauma just from hearing it repeatedly. This and the next couple videos ain't gonna get any better. Also there's some brief moments of giant, naked tiddies hanging out, but they're barely kept in focus, so yeah, content warning on that if you really care.

At least Kurayami Dance is continuing to be great, as Kaido makes it to the Union/Flower, Sun, and Rain hotel and begins the best arc of the whole manga. All thanks to everyone's favorite hotel manager Edo Macalister. Well, "favorite". Nearly everyone on Los Pass was some degree of asshole, including him.

Heh. Boners.

No matter how many dick jokes you put in them I'd say having a chase sequence followed by a turret section followed by a diversionary schump is probably when you ran out of ideas.

Part 8: Butt-Chin McFuckface

After suffering at the hands of the Big Boner and a bad shmup section, Garcia and Johnson get to explore one of the cooler locales in Shadows of the Damned, with all manner of books and stories including the best storybook yet. Poor, stupid Au-Au.

Meanwhile in Kurayami Dance, following the initial meeting with Dr Moonlight and Yayoi, Kaido finds it's time to start taking an actual vacation on his own terms, to forget about all the troubles weighing him down in life and on his job. And it all starts by getting back at a certain, drug administering hotel manager. Asshole...

Part 9: Ripped to Shreds by my Leather Mexican Baby

Recording the commentary for this video was the turning point in which I realized that this entire series (or at least, the SOTD portion) has been my LP equivalent of a shit post. Just...so little meaningful shit to say at this point other than fuck Act 4 and other certain real world events that will continue to date this video as a product of 2020.

Also there's some video and minor audio glitching that happens periodically following the 30 minute mark, and I couldn't do anything about it since it was there in the source footage all along. LP Curse still strikes you even if it doesn't blow up your computer.

Part 10: "Half-Assing" is this Game's MO

Having escaped the horror that was the overwhelming majority of Act 4, Garcia and Johnson finally make it to the Castle of Hassle, where absolutely no bullshit gimmick segments will rear their head again. Ever. Okay maybe, but that's only if you consider using the SkullBlaster to solve a bowling puzzle to be a gimmick.

Back in Kurayami Dance, however, the Union/Flower, Sun, and Rain hotel arc comes to a sorrowful close, as some important information regarding various characters are brought to light, and Kaido is forced to part ways with the (brief) love of his life. The final act is upon us.

Part 11: Turns Out Hell is Just Third Impact

Game is still trying its best to make these final sections something decent, and between a pretty good opening gag, and a not too bad block rotating puzzle, I'd say it's working. If only we weren't desperately wanting things to get to the end already.

Meanwhile, it took us twelve chapters but we now have a for real fucking antagonist in Kurayami Dance. After a bit of jumping back and forth between characters and events, it all becomes much more clear.

Part 12: The LP Curse Can't Stop this Shit Show

The closer we get to the end of this game, the more this entire year tries to stop us. But we're committed, dammit. We just gotta climb this Ganon's Tower ripoff with a random maze and Pachinko puzzle and we can finally kick Flemming's ass.

We're also speeding quickly towards the end of Kurayami Dance as we cover two chapters detailing Kaido's path of revenge and cameos of various stripes. You can tell when this manga was originally published by the time you see the end of this video.

Upon further viewing, I believe 'Interesting' can be properly amended to 'insane mash of ideas, concepts and gameplay ranging from juvenile humour, to horror homages, to an endless litany of dick jokes, that somehow works on a technical level, but is definitely a game that is best seen via the buffer of an LP instead of directly tolerated'

Part 13: The End of Kurayami

Here, have an hour and ten minute video where only ten minutes of it is for the game we've been playing this whole time. What, you thought this was the end for both of these things? Although if this game had been fully under EA's control I imagine the final boss fight with Flemming would've been the actual end. But it's not, and we've clearly shown to be more invested in Kurayami Dance that we wanted an hour to give these final two chapters the time it deserves.

The actual end of Shadows of the Damned will be in the next video, and I can guarantee you there, our final analysis of that game is no where near as positive as what we have for Kurayami. But thanks for watching, I guess?

Part FINAL: Demon Keeps-a Dreamin' of a Demon Town

Demon keeps-a dreamin' of a demon town
Motherfucker bitch fuck shit went down
Flemming's got an itch, scratch it with a bitch

Ooh, Johnson, that's my name
Big...uhh, that's my game
Johnson yeah, Johnson ooh, Johnson everywhere, yeah
Motherfucker bitch fuck shit went down, hah hah

In the Darkness, we shall have fun
Talk about my Johnson, talk about my bum
Talk about my thighs, they're really good in size
Oh my goodness, I CAN'T BELIEVE MY EYES

'Cause Flemming's got an itch, scratch it with a bitch
Motherfucker bitch cock cunt went down
with the demon, demon, demon...

----
We've reached the end of Shadows of the Damned. We can now move on with our lives.

And so we finally reach the payoff for all those dick jokes: Garcia facing down his girlfriend in a room full of pink, fleshy arched portals as he frantically tries to insert himself into one of them.

I don't really know what it means, but I'm pretty sure it was deliberate.