What Does God Need With a Magnus? Let's Play Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean [VLP]

Put your Let's Plays in here.
In some cases, the degradation can be helpful, though rarely. There's a card that's just pocket change, but given enough time, they'll update into a larger store of coins worth more to sell. One notable item is a picture frame that after a time becomes broken and ends up as something like a 37 damage glass shards card, which isn't half bad. It'll eventually become something less awesome later, but it's useful for the time you have it.

Also worth noting is that the pictures you take have to develop first, and then they'll be worth more. There's actually another mechanic involving the photograph cards that I can talk about if Artix isn't planning on covering it. It's rather minor and nobody ever tells you about it as far as I know.

You just know at least one person has put themselves into a card.

There are three entries on the game's 100% leaderboard on Speedrun.com. The second best time is goes on for 20 hours longer than what's needed for the shampoo. The number one spot also had three more hours of work to do. Does that mean there's actually enough bullshit in this game that even speedrunners can't complete everything else in the time it takes to wait for that god forsaken shampoo?

You need to get the thing that comes from the shampoo and then do the (very long) ending sequence is a chunk of it.... but, due to the nature of the speedrun, i would not be surprised if it was mostly a case of "life did not line up perfectly for the shampoo aging".

There's also the fact that aging stops during some things... I'd have to look it up, but I think whenever your menu is open things don't age, at least?

e: Yeah, that's it. Source here, but warning this has some minor spoilers in some of the other questions.
- But if it takes 336 hours, why is your record a little longer, like 339?
Because the items pause evolving when in the menus. The thing is, because this is a card-based RPG, you are menuing nearly ALL THE TIME: when you want to change your decks, when you select your loot at the end of fights, when you are in a shop... Which can very quickly add tens of hours when you play casually. That means I have to minimize absolutely every menus in the whole game, and I have to stay outside of menus while idling. Also, you get the Shampoo at around 45 minutes. Then, when it evolved, you have to fight the Last Boss, which takes a few more minutes. In the end, it means the theoretical minimum time is a bit above 337 hours. But the time spent in menus is always, ALWAYS, WAY longer than you imagine.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. I jumped to conclusions after looking up the leaderboards and coming to the shocking, yet expected revelation that yes, there are people doing completionist speedruns of this game.

Part 4: Pherkad, the Ancient Capital

In today's episode, we meet the most important side character of all, Palolo III. Where would we be without the wise and graceful aid of the Lord of Shadows?

oh god I thought I was used to the voice acting and then he showed up

There's bad voice acting and then there's bland voice acting. Bland is its own kind of bad but the kind of bad that getting mad at feels like a waste of time. Even master ninja here.

Gotta love it when they pick Actual Children to VA child characters.

Actual children combined with unique sound quality or whatever you want to call what they do with voice acting for this game is quite the combo.

Part 5: Lord Rodolfo's Mansion

With the help of Palolo III, we've made it inside the mansion, but what awaits us? (Spoilers: It's Giacomo)

There was definitely some music there. Bass lines and distorted lyrics (guess that fits!) and then right into screeching guitars for what ended with a cartoon escape.

Rodolfo though, what a performance. Fedule is right, every line sounded like it was supposed to be an evil innuendo.

Honestly I wouldn't exactly declare this first fight against Giacomo a real difficulty spike while he does get finishers and two turns he simply doesn't hit hard enough to be a real threat. I can think of what boss would be my personal time when bosses get real but we aren't quite there yet. On the other hand his later fights, hoo boy his later fights do deserve to be called difficulty spikes. I mean honestly you can basically softlock your entire save file on one of those fights. Also being totally serious here Chaotic Dance is one of the best songs on this ost and it has some competition.

Zaycen wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:49 am
Honestly I wouldn't exactly declare this first fight against Giacomo a real difficulty spike while he does get finishers and two turns he simply doesn't hit hard enough to be a real threat. I can think of what boss would be my personal time when bosses get real but we aren't quite there yet. On the other hand his later fights, hoo boy his later fights do deserve to be called difficulty spikes. I mean honestly you can basically softlock your entire save file on one of those fights. Also being totally serious here Chaotic Dance is one of the best songs on this ost and it has some competition.
That's fair, but in comparison to what we fought before him and what's coming after him in the next couple videos, he's definitely the most dangerous boss relative to his fight time until the end of Diadem at the very least.

Part 6: Nashira, the Fishing Village

And speaking of, let's head on over to the next island and meet the locals! Hope everyone is ready for some ~ D E E P L O R E ~

Ships that are really giant flying fish things, swimming/flying in an ocean of clouds....
The villainous forces having access to fully mechanical ships...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

I forgot Anna was voiced by Jodie from Metal Wolf Chaos and it just slammed me when she started talking.

That was quite a sales pitch by the head fisherman.

Gibari's sprite and portrait have his pauldron on opposite sides and I'm incredibly angry about it.

Holy fuck does Lyude look stoned out of his mind.

Then again, considering he knows he was sent out there to get rid of him, and that his 'job' is completely unimportant, getting stoned is probably one of the only perks he's got.

Part 7: Lesser Celestial River

Now that we have a good water character, we're going to put them to use by *checks notes* going to an area where every enemy has at least 50% water resistance.

I have this game, but never got past the first Giacomo fight. I was thinking of going back to it, but given that voice acting... I'm torn. Is there any way to turn it off?

Special shout-out to Final Fantasy X, where poison does a whopping 25% of max HP per turn.

I'm struggling to remember what game it was at the moment, but I'm vaguely remembering a game where poison did incremental damage; it would start small, but each turn the poison tick would deal more and more damage, so if you didn't cure it the damage could slowly become more and more unmanageable.

Contrast Dragon Quest, where old games had two different poison-like status effects; poisoned, which dealt like 1 HP damage per step on the overworld but none in battle; and envenomated, which dealt damage each time the character's turn came up in battle, but cured itself at the end of battle.

Pokemon has the "badly poisoned" status which works like that; I wouldn't be surprised if it's in other games too.

You know thinking about it I think I've played through this game like 4 times in full and in all those playthroughs I don't think I've ever kept Gibari in my party except when the game forces him in. I honestly think he's the worst character gameplay wise of the bunch.

Gibari is iirc heavily favored by (one of the? the only?) speedrunner(s) of the game as he can both attack and defend with his weapons like Kalas does. He's not a bad character, in gameplay or writing, but he has a very rough start gameplay-wise and writing-wise he's competing with a very strong cast if you're a casual player who picks whoever they like most.

By which I mean I almost never used him unless forced. I just liked everyone else too much, and this is an extremely wrong foot to get off on.

Zaycen wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 am
You know thinking about it I think I've played through this game like 4 times in full and in all those playthroughs I don't think I've ever kept Gibari in my party except when the game forces him in. I honestly think he's the worst character gameplay wise of the bunch.
ClyncyeRudje wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 am
Gibari is iirc heavily favored by (one of the? the only?) speedrunner(s) of the game as he can both attack and defend with his weapons like Kalas does. He's not a bad character, in gameplay or writing, but he has a very rough start gameplay-wise and writing-wise he's competing with a very strong cast if you're a casual player who picks whoever they like most.

By which I mean I almost never used him unless forced. I just liked everyone else too much, and this is an extremely wrong foot to get off on.
I think Gibari's a good character, but mechanically he really does suffer from getting off on the wrong foot and never really recovering. He almost exclusively uses Water and Wind, and will only pick up token amounts of the other four elements, making his damage output somewhat questionable, but he makes a good tank thanks to the aforementioned weapon blocking. It's just that you rarely ever need a tank in normal as long as you have proper healing items, so the better DPS of basically anyone else is usually better.
(He also does tend to get forgotten in regards to having story relevance.)

Personally, when I played, I usually ended up using Kalas, Xelha, and one other character we haven't seen yet most of the time.

The Flying Twybil wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:10 am

I think Gibari's a good character, but mechanically he really does suffer from getting off on the wrong foot and never really recovering. He almost exclusively uses Water and Wind, and will only pick up token amounts of the other four elements, making his damage output somewhat questionable, but he makes a good tank thanks to the aforementioned weapon blocking. It's just that you rarely ever need a tank in normal as long as you have proper healing items, so the better DPS of basically anyone else is usually better.
(He also does tend to get forgotten in regards to having story relevance.)

Personally, when I played, I usually ended up using Kalas, Xelha, and one other character we haven't seen yet most of the time.
Honestly same for party composition, the only question is considering the remaining characters are all really good are we thinking of the same one or not? But beside that I'm still convinced someone on the dev team didn't like Gibari considering both of his next finishers are self sabotaging I mean fire and chronos for him? Really?

ClyncyeRudje wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 am
if you're a casual player who picks whoever they like most
In which case you know who's going in at least one of your slots, and it's not someone we've met yet.

So from what I understand of that old lady's story, Malpercio tried to flex on the planet for some reason by drinking the entire ocean. He succeeded, but choked on it in the process like a dumbass.

Not the greatest apocalypse resume, Malpercio.

Well, maybe this evil empire will be self-solving, then. They wake up the dumbass Demon Lord, then he eats them or something and gets Giacomo stuck in his throat and dies again. Game over, we win. No Heart of the Cards or long-winded speeches about the power of friendship necessary.

Part 8: Cloud Passage

You know what our story was missing so far? Some light war crimes. Thankfully our hero (?) is here to step in and save the day.

I don't know about war crimes, but it is a crime that this video is set to private.

That's...weird. It saved being added to the playlist but not being set to public. Well either way it's fixed now.

Regarding the card number fuckery, one thing you can do is end your turn early by just not playing an extra card in time. So if your max card use per turn is 4 and you have something like 5-5-5-8 on hand, you could either play all four of them and not get a bonus, or just play the three 5s and get the bonus.

Earlygame it's probably more worth it to just get the extra card in, but once your per-turn card amount and thus the bonus percent get higher this is definitely a thing to think about.

I occasionally miss the days where random dumbass designs like a robot beetle with tank cannons and multicoloured jelly for legs can just show up. There's still plenty of weird designs but they just aren't the same a lot of the time.

Kibayasu wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:20 pm
I occasionally miss the days where random dumbass designs like a robot beetle with tank cannons and multicoloured jelly for legs can just show up. There's still plenty of weird designs but they just aren't the same a lot of the time.
It certainly felt like it had more charm back then. I don't know what happened to that. I guess it's either personal aging or aging of the medium.

Baten Kaitos really does have some weird monster designs, and it kinda works given how strange the rest of the world is. It just adds on.

I've been meaning to say this for several videos, but it's been really messing me up that the current locale is 'Diadem, the Land of Clouds'.

If you're wondering why, it's because Final Fantasy XIV has the Sea of Clouds (a whole bunch of floating islands), and there's a ring of islands there called the Diadem. :v:

Huh that never occurred to me, but now that you've said something I'm going to think about that for the next while every time I think about this diadem or the xiv one. Granted I'm still too lazy to deal with the rest of the grind I have to do in the xiv one so I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist :geno: . And thus only have to think of this admittedly way cooler one.