What Does God Need With a Magnus? Let's Play Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean [VLP]

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Someone seemed quite proud of that song Mizuti, sorry The Great Mizuti, was singing. Or at least maybe the original language version. Party member? I sure hope so!

Part 19: Portal to an Outer Dimension

In today's episode...uh, well... Yeah, you'll see.

Don't take a wrong turn when jumping into interdimensional holes; you might end up stuck on a different planet.

Part 20: Parnasse, the Confectionery Village

Thankfully we've left all that silliness of the trip aside, now that we've reached mainland Mira. First stop? A Pastry Village.

With a name like "Detourne" I would have said this was going to be the Lost Woods level.

Anyways what the fuck does pastry have to do with a realm of illusion.

The Cake is a Lie, obviously.

There isn't actually any pastry, just leaves.

I just released who's been doomsaying at us. I wonder what they'll say next. :allears:

Part 21: Detourne, the Mystical Garden

Normally I'd have a smarmy comment of some sort here but uh, I don't even know where to start with Detourne. There are like, three entire dungeons worth of ideas here and it's...a lot.

It's Tower of Druaga, which is an old Namco game Namco loves remaking and referencing in various subtle and not-so-subtle ways. It's a weird and, frankly, not very good game by modern standards, but you should play it one of these days anyway just to see how often something related to it shows up in modern Namco games -- and sometimes even non-Namco games, as it was a very influential game in Japan. Hell, the recently English released Mr. Driller Drill Land even has an entire game mode based off of it!

...is the prequel this gonzo? Because "we have to break out of jail" is normal. "Jail is made of flour, sugar, leavening, etc." is a standard level of weird. "We have to eat our way out of that same jail and we're going to have an extended argument about who has to do it and no we can't just break pieces off without eating it :wtc: are you thinking" is some next-level moon logic.

NGDBSS wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:11 am
...is the prequel this gonzo?
No, and we could only wish that it was. In fact, Mira's not even in the prequel until very late in the game as Mira itself sort of "travels".

Origins's story has some crazy stuff, but I think it swings towards edgy more than anything. Lost Ocean can get dark too, but it's got a better sense of fantasy to it.

"My attacks are effective!" he screams as he uses his gun to propel himself into the air and then to propel his own body into the enemy.

You know much like how Swery claimed he didn't actually know much about Twin Peaks when he made Deadly Premonition and the actual inspiration feels like it was a little game called Mizzurna Falls the shooter section and now the top down dungeon makes it feel like this was the secret inspiration to Nier.

Part 22: Reverence, the Picture Book Village

Leaving behind the garden, it's time to check in at the next town and get some Lore™. For once, it's something you could see coming a mile away.

This continues to be the weirdest place I have ever seen in an rpg.

Reverence was the point in my playthrough I finally had to sit back and ask myself how the hell I actually got here.

It's... something.

Part 23: Nekton, the Shrine of Spirits

Nekton is...just kinda there, tbh. It's a dungeon that actually seems like it makes sense, and is appropriate for where we found it? Which somehow makes it stand out as the odd man out in Mira.

This background music just being a series of orchestral stings...

It was Trill right? Of course it was Trill. Who else could it be besides Trill.

As much as I wanna go with the obvious plot beat of Melodia being the one to steal it, I'm gonna roll with a crack theory that it was Xelha and she had the smol squish bean creature swallow it. We don't know anything about her besides that she and the Empire aren't on friendly terms. She could want all of them for herself.

Am I right? Probably not. Am I sticking to my guns on this? All the way.

Part 24: Balancoire, Borough of Illusion

Well, nothing left to do but soldier on and see what Duke Calbren has to say about Mira's end magnus. Thankfully, he has a perfect security system in place. Absolutely flawless in every way.

Just wanted to update and say that there won't be any videos this week. Long story but I've been dealing with a lot of shit at work and don't have anything in the pipeline for another couple days. Stay tuned! We're headed for the finale of Mira and the end of Disc One!

Pauly the Pollywhale is pollythicc.

Part 25: Coccolith, Labyrinth of Mirrors

It's everyone's least favorite area, the sewer dungeon. For reasons that I'm sure I don't have to explain, but hey, we're done with Mira! On to the Empire!

So will we officially confront our doomsayer in the Empire? I wonder what Fedule's reaction will be. At least we're not likely to see plot contrivances like what happened with the last End Magnus.

God, I'm really hoping the plot can find the rails it was riding at some point. ...not sure what point it was riding them, but it feels like it was before all this incredulity. And you're telling me this breakdown is happening and it's only nearing the end of Disc 1?

Oh no

Part 26: Mintaka, the Imperial Capital

We're off to Disc 2, and the first step in our grand new plan is to... *checks notes*

Go to Lyude's house (who is widely considered to be a traitor to the empire) and ask his brother and sister (who are high ranking military officials) where Geldoblame is. Capital work, boys.

This pack of fuck ups couldn't fuck up their way out of a wet paper bag. This post originally only applied to part 25 but I'm expanding that.

Part 27: The Battleship Goldoba

Just when you thought this plan couldn't get any better, we're storming an empty ship filled with robots.

Giacomo died as he lived; a spiteful, resentful bastard.

Hmm, if you still have the save files, would you mind passing me some near the graphical issues so I can investigate what's happening there? I'm kinda surprised there's still bugs like that in modern Dolphin.

Admiral H. Curtiss wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:23 am
Hmm, if you still have the save files, would you mind passing me some near the graphical issues so I can investigate what's happening there? I'm kinda surprised there's still bugs like that in modern Dolphin.
I'll send them to you after video 29, there's another bigger, much more obvious rendering error coming up there.

I am still always caught off guard by Lyude's "happy" face looking like he's stoned out of his mind.

Shei-kun wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:23 pm
I am still always caught off guard by Lyude's "happy" face looking like he's stoned out of his mind.
I grew up with this game and it still surprises me every time. The portraits are good, until they're a little bit off.

Okay maybe a good bit off, but still.

Lyude probably has the worst time with weird portraits and his come up the most often, which is a shame, but i think everyone has at least one odd port.

Part 28: Azha, the Mining Village

A lesser game would simply tell you that a character had done a terrible thing in their past and they were working to make amends for being a war criminal. Baten Kaitos calls these games cowards.

"I may have killed everyone you know but I feel really bad about it", a classic really.

Part 29: The Lava Caves

Well, we made it to the big plot twist. Act 1 of Baten Kaitos is officially over and things are gonna be a bit...different next time.

Huh. They actually played it slightly differently than I expected. Neat.

Also Kalas has enough ham in that delivery that I'd think he just raided the lunch meat section of a deli.

This. This is the part I've been waiting for since the LP started.

Such glorious ham.

Weeble wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:31 pm
This. This is the part I've been waiting for since the LP started.

Such glorious ham.
Same here. It's just pure :allears: