My time is drawing thinner, I'm just a tired old sinner - RED DEAD REDEMPTION (The UNDEAD NIGHTMARE is OVER!)

Put your Let's Plays in here.

(Thread title courtesy of "Redemption Blues" by Gavin Dunne aka Miracle of Sound)

ABOUT THE GAME

If you're here, you probably know perfectly well what Red Dead Redemption is, especially with all the hype over the 2018 sequel... prequel... the one with the 2 at the end, but just in case you've lived under a rock for the last ten years I'll just mention that RDR is an open world western game by Rockstar San Diego, released on PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2010. A Wild West GTA, if you will.

Set in the dying days of the old west in the year 1911, Red Dead Redemption tells the tale of former outlaw John Marston, who has been forced by government agents to hunt down the known surviving members of his old gang. As you might expect, a lot of horse riding and gunfighting ensues, along with some more mundane old west activities such as taming horses, herding cattle, and getting eaten by bears or cougars.

CW: Red Dead Redemption is a revisionist western that doesn't shy away from depicting various horrible things from the days of the old west. That includes violence, of course, but there are also references to sexual assault as well as some old-timey racism from certain characters.

ABOUT THE LP

This is a playthrough of the Xbox 360 version of the Game of the Year Edition, recorded on Xbox One (Xbox One X from episode 7 onward, which is why the game suddenly starts to look a lot better) using backwards compatibility. The first 21 episodes are my solo commentary that someone somewhere might possibly find informative, after that ChaosArgate joins me for the rest of the LP. We won't be talking over cutscenes and do our best not to talk over any important dialogue, although there is a whole lot of talking in this game so sometimes we might slip up a bit on that front.

DLC/Completion?

I'm doing the story missions, all Stranger side missions, and all Legend of the West ambient challenges (hunter, sharpshooter, herbalist, treasure hunter - the DLC adds some additional ones, but these were the ones in the original game and they're the ones I'm gonna be doing) in the game. 100% completion in RDR requires a bunch of grindy bullshit, so I'm not bothering with that. You get some bonus outfits and other cool junk, but nothing hugely exciting.

As for the Undead Nightmare DLC, that's a bit of a problem. While I do obviously have the DLC as it's part of the GOTY edition, it has serious technical issues and is practically unplayable thanks to Title Update 1.08 introducing a couple of game-breaking glitches back in 2014 and Rockstar being too busy swimming in piles of GTA shark card money to bother fixing the issues. I suppose I could run it unpatched on my 360 if people in the thread REALLY want to see Undead Nightmare, but we'll see how that goes. The main game is the priority, anyway, and this LP has already taken long enough. If I do Undead Nightmare, it'll probably get its separate thread down the line.

As for spoilers... well, this game is ten years old and I'm sure most of you know by now what happens in the story, but please don't spoil anything because ChaosArgate is actually coming to this blind. With all that out of the way, it's time to do some cowboy shit!

VIDEOS

[Playlist]

Chapter 1: New Austin

Episode 1: Exodus in America
Episode 2: Political Realities in Armadillo
Episode 3: Justice in Pike's Basin
Episode 4: Spare the Rod, Spoil the Bandit
Episode 5: Wild Horses, Tamed Passions
Episode 6: A Tempest Looms
Episode 7: Stranger Things
Episode 8: You Shall Not Give False Testimony, Except for Profit
Episode 9: Liars, Cheats and Other Proud Americans
Episode 10: Let the Dead Bury Their Dead
Episode 11: Can a Swindler Change His Spots?
Episode 12: Born Unto Trouble
Episode 13: The Hanging
Episode 14: Lights, Camera, Action
Episode 15: The Assault on Fort Mercer
Episode 16: We Shall Be Together in Paradise

Chapter 2: Nuevo Paraiso

Episode 17: Far Away (click HERE for cut version in case YouTube blocks the original because of the music)
Episode 18: Landon Ricketts Rides Again
Episode 19: Civilization, at Any Price
Episode 20: The Demon Drink
Episode 21: Still Strange
Episode 22: The Other Train Mission
Episode 23: Must a Savior Die?
Episode 24: John Marston, Genius
Episode 25: The Other Other Train Mission
Episode 26: Adios :nws:

Chapter 3: West Elizabeth

Episode 27: The Accountant
Episode 28: Legend of the West
Episode 29: Wreck of the Serendipity
Episode 30: At Home With Dutch
Episode 31: Just Like the Old Days
Episode 32: Our Days Are Over

Epilogue

Episode 33: The Quiet Life
Episode 34: John Marston and Son (and Uncle)
Episode 35: The Day John Marston Stopped Shooting
Episode 36 (FINAL): Violent Hearts

--------

Undead Nightmare DLC

Undead Nightmare Episode 1: Love in the Time of Plague
Undead Nightmare Episode 2: You Can't Eat Me, I'm Herbert Moon
Undead Nightmare Episode 3: Zombie Clown Car
Undead Nightmare Episode 4: Dead Sled
Undead Nightmare Episode 5: Mother Superior Blues
Undead Nightmare Episode 6 (FINAL): Bad Voodoo
Last edited by Doc Morbid on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:07 am, edited 25 times in total.

Oh man I can't wait to see my favourite Western tropes, like...the pie fight!

Episode 23: Must a Savior Die?

We've just about had enough of the army being completely useless to us in our search for Bill Williamson and Javier Escuella (not to mention horrible people in general), so we should look elsewhere. Landon Ricketts told us to go visit Luisa Fortuna once she had recovered from her kidnapping ordeal, so we might as well start from there and see if she can help us. We are also introduced to Abraham Reyes, the illustrious rebel leader we have to rescue from the army before it's too late, and swiftly discover this much-heralded savior of the people might not be as amazing as Luisa made him sound.

I feel sorry for Laura Linda Luisa.

Episode 24: John Marston, Genius

Good news! The army has finally come through and located Bill and Javier, and all Marston has to do now is mosey his way inside a church with a group of armed soldiers behind him! Finally, our job in Mexico will be done!

It seems like basically everyone Marston encounters in Mexico speaks fluent English, often in contexts where they should really be speaking Spanish. Oh well, I guess.

Episode 25: The Other Other Train Mission

Remember a couple of videos ago when we stole the train for the army? Well, now we're gonna steal it back for the rebels, which of course means more of that exciting Gatling gun action we all enjoy so much.

Back in my day if you didn't know how to handle dynamite you didn't stock up on dynamite in hopes of the one guy in the country on your side just randomly showing up to show you where to bury it & how to wire it.

e: good lord could they make the padding any more obvious? It took two entire main questlines with completely no progress before finally getting somewhere.

Episode 26: Adios :nws:

We finally, FINALLY locate Bill and Javier and finish the Mexico section of the game, which hasn't been massively tedious on my previous playthroughs but almost killed this LP. This episode is 49 minutes long because A) there wasn't a good cut-off point and B) I want the Mexico part over and done with as soon as possible. It's also 1080p only because YouTube's had some trouble rendering higher resolution videos lately and I actually wanted to post this update sometime this week.

Regarding the :nws: tag, the original release of RDR actually had full frontal nudity in the opening scene of "The Gates of El Presidio" but it was covered up in the Game of the Year Edition for some reason so all we get is some Ride to Hell style action. I assumed this was because the game wasn't originally rated for nudity, but that's apparently not the case so who knows.
Last edited by Doc Morbid on Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, John was just keeping his word: he got his information, and after that, De Santa belongs to the rebels!

I feel like that cutscene where you hand over Javier is the first time it's (almost) explicitly spelled out why you're hunting Williamson?

discountcleric wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:42 am
I feel like that cutscene where you hand over Javier is the first time it's (almost) explicitly spelled out why you're hunting Williamson?
There was that scene with Bonnie early on in the game, where John explained his situation and mentioned how government agents (whom we briefly saw in the intro, but this cutscene with Javier was the first time they had lines) had taken his family and forced him to hunt down his former gang buddies. I think John also talked to Landon Ricketts about it, but all these exposition-filled rides through the Mexican countryside kinda blur together at this point.

Also, there's nothing forcing you to bring Javier back alive. If you end up killing him, you just get a slightly different cutscene with the agents remarking they expected someone more... alive. We also could've shot both Allende and Williamson ourselves, but I wanted to hear all the dialogue so Reyes ended up doing the honors. I kinda wanted to put a bullet in Bill myself, but Reyes was quicker on the draw than I remembered.

Doc Morbid wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:41 pm
discountcleric wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:42 am
There was that scene with Bonnie early on in the game, where John explained his situation and mentioned how government agents (whom we briefly saw in the intro, but this cutscene with Javier was the first time they had lines) had taken his family and forced him to hunt down his former gang buddies. I think John also talked to Landon Ricketts about it, but all these exposition-filled rides through the Mexican countryside kinda blur together at this point.

Also, there's nothing forcing you to bring Javier back alive. If you end up killing him, you just get a slightly different cutscene with the agents remarking they expected someone more... alive. We also could've shot both Allende and Williamson ourselves, but I wanted to hear all the dialogue so Reyes ended up doing the honors. I kinda wanted to put a bullet in Bill myself, but Reyes was quicker on the draw than I remembered.
Does the game let you lasso bill and take him alive at all or does Reyes just shoot him regardless?

The problem with critiquing the pacing of a game that's emulating Western movies is that said movies are, by nature, extremely self-indulgent. If you're making the video game version of a Western, you pretty much need to have long stretches where very little happens in order to make a video game equivalent of long, LONG scenes of leaving the camera running to soak up the wilderness, or characters just sitting and talking, sometimes not even talking.

That being said, the Mexico chapters are just bog-standard video game padding. Dear Lord, I'd forgotten how bad that train turret sequence was! Once we get to the last few chapters (won't say anything else for now), I think this game does a much better job of actually slowing the game down meaningfully rather than adding pointless obstacles.

Bill dies no matter what, yeah.

Episode 27: The Accountant

With our work in Mexico finally done, it's time to head back to the US, complete the remaining side mission in New Austin and ride eastward to West Elizabeth (while recording, I kept forgetting the name of the region that encompasses Blackwater, the Great Plains and Tall Trees, but it's West Elizabeth), where we encounter the mysterious stranger one last time. Will our sharply dressed friend tell us how he knows John and what his deal is in general?

1440p/4K are still processing, as tends to be the case when I upload one of these ultra HD videos.

Here, as promised, is the text from Sam's letter:
Sam Odessa wrote:My darling wife,

Not a day goes by when I don't think about you and our beautiful baby boy. It is now many weeks since we parted. Precisely how long, I don't know. Time, once so predictable and reliable, has slipped away from me. I know how callous my abrupt departure in the dead of night must have appeared, and for that I am truly sorry, but I hope you will find it in your heart one day to forgive me. For it was not a choice to leave, but rather an obligation. My grandfather came to this country with a dream; a dream that was passed down to me, that is in my blood, in my very soul. I always believed it was my duty to realize that dream, to complete a journey that started in Odessa, by the Black Sea, three generations ago, but I have lost sight of what it is, if I ever knew at all. I am headed west towards the ocean, but I'm not sure why anymore. Day after day, the sun beats down on me in this godforsaken desert, relentless and mocking. Every step I take forward, I seem to get further away. I thought this was my destiny, and perhaps it is. Maybe we are condemned to walk in circles, chasing the skyline. Maybe it is all a lie. Oh, this is a terrible land of broken promises.

I had everything and gave it up in the pursuit of nothing. I fear I have made a terrible mistake, but there is no way back now.

Forever yours,

Sam
I also uploaded some more of the newspapers (I should put the earlier ones and issue #56 on Bpix at some point as well):

Blackwater Ledger #55 (with the button prompts because I forgot to scroll down and grab a picture of the lower half of the page without them)
Blackwater Ledger #57
Blackwater Ledger #58

Episode 28: Legend of the West

In this episode, we complete all the remaining Legend of the West challenges, remind ourselves of the importance of saving one's work regularly, and help Mr. Kinnear achieve his goal of soaring through the sky like an eagle. An eagle, sir!

Episode 29: Wreck of the Serendipity

I'm kind of surprised the Serendipity never becomes a gang hideout after this mission.

We're close to the home stretch and I really want to wrap this up soon, so I figured I'd try to upload these remaining videos a bit quicker than usual. We'll see how that goes, but here's a video now.

Episode 30: At Home With Dutch

In today's episode, John and Nastas head to the mountains to search for Dutch van der Linde's hideout. Also, sorry about the pops in my commentary audio - RTX Voice was acting up, it seems. Unfortunately, this audio issue will persist to some degree for a few more episodes because I kept the same settings across multiple recording sessions, but I'll just disable RTX Voice for the last session and that'll hopefully fix it.

holy shit why was that Harold guy sitting around a bar with $200 in cash on him

$200 in 1911 bucks is definitely a lot of money to carry around with you, but the Blackwater hotel has a high stakes poker room and, as we learn in today's update, the dearly departed Harold had a gambling habit.

Episode 31: Just Like the Old Days

We finally meet up with Dutch face-to-face, and he's still the same as he was back in the day when John left the gang. That is to say he's an insane murderer. And if Dutch seems bad, check out who we have to hang out with after that! In a game chock full of awful people, Professor MacDougal somehow manages to be one of the most loathsome of them all. Naturally, that means we have to protect his life at all costs.

Episode 32: Our Days Are Over

It's time for John to finish this Dutch business once and for all and return to his family. Will the agents honor the deal? Let's find out. NOTE: My audio had some issues with crackling and pops again thanks to RTX Voice trying to process my voice a bit too hard, sorry about that. The next video's commentary is the last time I used RTX Voice, so after that everything should be OK.

Episode 33: The Quiet Life

His mission finally complete, John is now free to enjoy life with his loved ones (and Uncle) once more. Of course, as we're swiftly reminded, running a ranch and being a family man isn't always sunshine and rainbows, especially when you're a former outlaw who isn't very good at running a ranch or raising a family.

This is the last of the bad audio episodes. RTX Voice is a perfectly fine audio tool but it isn't perfect, and I should've done more testing before I used these settings for recording.

Episode 34: John Marston and Son (and Uncle)

Now that we're getting back into the swing of things at the Marston ranch, John should probably take some time to hang out with his son. Sadly, before we get to that we'll have to spend time with Uncle, but at least that gives us the opportunity to mercilessly dunk on the old goat.

Episode 35: The Day John Marston Stopped Shooting

Today, we finally complete the last story missions of Red Dead Redemption. The next and final video of the LP will show off the game's final Stranger quest.

Episode 36 (FINAL): Violent Hearts

In this episode, we hit the postgame to wrap up the last dangling loose end - as well as the LP itself. It's taken entirely too long, but we're done! Finally! Stick around until the end of the credits to find out what we'll be doing next.

Here's the last newspaper as well:

Remember when I said we weren't gonna do Undead Nightmare and that we'd go straight to RDR II? Well, I changed my mind!

Undead Nightmare Episode 1: Love in the Time of Plague

Uncle busting into the Marstons' bedroom in the middle of the night while groaning incoherently, with human blood all over his beard, is probably something that happens on a semi-regular basis.

Episode 2: You Can't Eat Me, I'm Herbert Moon

Herbert Moon would totally have a podcast or YouTube channel nowadays. Or at least he'd be a racist (and sexist and homophobic and anti-Semitic and xenophobic etc. etc.) Facebook grandpa who brags about getting banned from family gatherings.

Herbert Moon would refuse to wear a mask and call anyone who does a beta cuck sheep who can't think for themselves.

Undead Nightmare Episode 3: Zombie Clown Car

Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed? Well, no, but we do have John Marston on one of said steeds. We also visit a shack that is apparently a portal to the zombie dimension, as well as hang out with Nigel West Dickens and Seth and discover they're even more insufferable in the DLC.

Undead Nightmare Episode 4: Dead Sled

The Kreeps have arrived and they're here to rock. Oh, and we hitch a ride on an army train bound for Mexico.

Also, just to clarify, even though I criticize the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption a lot, I'm not trying to imply the game is unplayable on PS3 or anything like that. While the 360 version is the better option (especially on Xbox One), the PS3 version is totally fine as well and you won't even notice the blurrier graphics and choppier performance if you haven't played the Xbox version. It's basically the same kind of difference as you'd see with Red Dead II on base PS4 vs. base Xbox One - the latter is blurrier and choppier so the base PS4 version is the better option if you have the choice, but both are totally playable and you can't really go wrong with either.

Undead Nightmare Episode 5: Mother Superior Blues

We head to Las Hermanas and encounter Mother Superior Caldéron, who has certainly taken a rather hands-on approach to this whole situation. Landon Ricketts also shows up in Casa Madrugada, does nothing, and leaves. :effort:

Apparently, Sepulcro really doesn't have an "action" music track to go with the graveyard cleansing mission there. You just get the quiet ambient track to accompany your seven minutes of zombie-slaying, which is very odd. I spliced in another track to make it a bit more exciting.

Undead Nightmare Episode 6 (FINAL): Bad Voodoo

You can't stop what ain't dead, it's true. In the final installment of Undead Nightmare, we save the rest of the towns in Mexico, slay a chupacabra and tame the rest of the mythical horse friends before riding to Escalera, where we end the nightmare once and for all... or do we? [Vincent Price laugh]

This was originally going to be two separate videos, which is why I say we'd do the final mission "next time" at the halfway mark. I figured I'd just combine them into one big finale so I can finish Undead Nightmare while it's still October in some parts of the world.

Thank you once again for watching the Red Dead Redemption LP and commenting in the thread. It's taken a long time, but we made it to the end and even managed to get through the DLC! Join us in the near future for Red Dead Redemption II, which'll probably take two years even if I do update semi-regularly! :clint: