Hans Christian Lovecraft - Let's Play Darkwood!

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Newest thing:
Final episode of the main playthrough!!

Hey, content warning! Some body horror in these videos.

[Image

Hey, how are the nights going?

Hey, if any of you Polish speakers want to see what all the characters talk like, here you go!

Hey! Videos 9-1 and 9-2 contain dogs in some distress. If you don’t want to see dogs suffering, give them a skip, and read the one-sentence plot description below!

We find wolfie, who is living behind a barn full of infected dogs. He’s eaten the pretty lady, and shows us where the doctors house is. The doctor has been amputating limbs from patients, and we find out he’s hidden in the train wreck. We get the code to the train, and we’ll see him next.

Hey content warning on episode #2 - if you're squeamish about body horror stuff, there's some grossness.... well, in this whole game, but especially from 8:33-11:00 and 14:06-14:15

Below is my usual introduction, but TLDR no spoilers, not even in tags. Audience participation is a must (though not this first episode).

This is like... Lone Survivor meets Final Station with a SMIDGE less roadside picnic and a SMIDGE more Lovecraft. It's GOOD. You'll LIKE IT.

GENERAL CONTENT WARNING: Mild pixelly gore, disturbing images (gross, not sexual). Cruelty. Nothing seems really mean-spirited or just for shock.

*ahem*

You know, I've been meaning to do this for a while.

What, post again after one of your patented unannounced five-month breaks?

Yeah sorry about that. Got a new job. Cancer research! Fun!

I don't give a FLIP. Where's my VIDEOS, nerd?

About that! I find myself suddenly... oh, I don't know. With a little more free time?

And?

And interested in, you know. Plagues. Security in an insecure world.

I think in insecure times like this, it can be really healthy to explore those feelings you have through fiction. And BOY DO I HAVE THE GAME FOR EXPLORING INSECURITY

Alright, let's hear it

DARKWOOD!, the top-down, mostly open-world, crafting survival horror game (and by criminy, this game earns BOTH those titles!).

It's SO GOOD you guys.

Prove it.

Oh, how about masterful 'storytelling through minor details', an excellent use of the sickly, pixelly, fuzzy graphics, a second-to-none sense of creeping dread, incredible use of light and sound...

Easy there, champ. It's not gonna love you back.

Oh BOY is it not! This game is TOUGH. Though actually, it finds a way to be extremely difficult AND pretty accessible. I'll talk about the mechanics more later (but the brief sneak-peek is, you can absolutely brute force you way through, but MASTERY requires extensive experience, planning, and careful execution.

The nighttime... oh MAN, the NIGHTTIME.

One step at a time, Bacter. What's it about?

I'm not gonna give spoilers. It's about a woods. It's not terrifically bright there. It's somewhere in Europe. Potato Europe, not tomato Europe. You'll work out the rest.

Audience participation?

You better believe it! There are CHOICES. There are PATHS through this game. I'll be taking polls.

In a broader sense, there are LOTS of ways to play the game. I'll try showing most of them off. If you see something, a craftable item, a potential secret, a playstyle, whatever, that you want to see shown off? Let me know, and I'll help

Come one, come all! ROLL ON UP, because there's some more life left in these friggin' woods!

We've got two more runs a'cookin'.

One is the "opposite decisions" run, where I do everything we DIDN'T do in the main run.

The second is 'ol Genocide Joe.

I want to submit:

This image, which pans left from our room out into the forest, is 100% genius.

First in on the backup thread!

Second in, by a couple minutes. I'm following ya, Bacter!

Welcome! Very happy to see you here - I've got lots more to talk about and show off, and I'm happy for anywhere we can do that! Expect the first of the 'alternate plays' in the next few days, and at that point I can FINALLY talk about themes/lore without worrying about spoilers!

I somehow missed this on the other forum, and I adore subtitle LPs, so I'm gonna have to start catching up!

Am I right in guessing you want us to wait with discussing the genius move in that picture you posted until we've seen more of the game?

Oh no - feel free to speculate! I'M going to hold off for a few videos, that's all.

Fair enough. From the end sequence, and the path leading away from our sleeping self, I got the impression we might have either been dreaming about the forest after whatever trauma we suffered, or else we're only dreaming we got out of the forest while our mushroom-and-goo addled brain finally gave in and started dreaming of a paradise of sorts, and all that's actually left of us is a blob of decomposing goo somewhere in the forest.

I'm actually unable to access the, uh, surprise you had for us in the final video. Did you take it down again?

A bacter LP, delightful! I’ve got to catch up, but these will definitely make home renovation time much more bearable.

Huh. I'm able to see it, AWS. I'll have to try something else. Youtube ain't great for everything!

Edit: Until I get a workaround, if you find it, and you'll know if you do, just send me a PM!

Oh man I hadn't noticed the path leading right to your bed, that is a pretty good hit at the secret bit! Or at least that's how I see it, it could also be about other stuff.

Thanks for your LPs man, I really love them!

Going to watch the LP.

Also migrating over. Going to be confusing being in two places at once for a while.

CONFIRMED! Darkwood takes place in the Yuppie Psychoverse