You're about to die and we salute you! -- Let's Play The Age of Decadence

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Pardon the delay -- some things have come up in the past week that have prevented me from working on this. Rest assured, the update is coming.

edit: woo, new page

Part XXXI: Second star to the right

We need a break from the main quest. Let's investigate the Old Facility.

It's just a hole in the ground with a few Aurelian soldiers. Hopefully the interior is more interesting.

Image: Relax, we're on the same side.

Pleasant guy.

This looks more promising.

Nothing left, as to be expected. If we descend further...

There's the door the sentry mentioned.

More power tubes are good.

Keyhole first.

Be aware the door is trapped. One mistake means instant death.

Crafting a key is the safer bet.

We've actually discovered a flying ship!

A very big ship. It's built like a ziggurat.

Imagine the number of people you could fit in this thing.

Can't do anything on this level, so upstairs we go.

A quartet of ballistae sit here, unused. I really wish we could get them working again.

The next level has more ballistae and a box containing a scroll.

Harrowing stuff.

The top level of the ship has one of the crystal semi-spheres, presumably used for communication, a console, and the captain's log.

Ugh, I hate the old system of writing. The extra Es, the random capitalization...

Looks like the ship was parked here for repairs and never left.

As for the console, we can finally use the jellyfish artifact!

The scroll we took from Antidas' treasury also plays a part. Let's get this baby flying!

Whoops.

The hatch controls are back at the door we came through. Luckily, we have plenty of power tubes.

Let's try again.

Gaelius is gonna shit a brick when he sees this.

WE COME IN PEACE, EARTHLINGS.

Image: That's it?

Grateful my ass. I just delivered a a flying ship to your doorstep and you're scolding me? Fuck you, Gaelius.

Hey, Thorgul set up his tent outside the palace gates.

Image: What do you think of Maadoran?

Image: It has its moments.

ok boomer

Image: What does Gaelius want you to do?

Let's see Marcus Valla about the power armor.

Image: It is. I decided to keep it.

Nuts, I only have around 3400. Looks like this is gonna get bloody.

Image: 4,000 imperials to keep what's already mine? You must be out of your mind, Marcus.

When combat starts, a nifty animal helmet forms around our head, which is why we can't equip one. In Apis mode, it's a bull...

Horus is a bird...

Anubis is a jackal...

Ra is a bird with awesome head feathers. Each mode gives a bonus.

Apis: +1-3 Strength (by number of power tubes inserted)

Horus: +1-3 Dexterity (by number of power tubes inserted)

Anubis: +1-3 health regeneration (by number of power tubes inserted)

Ra: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 health regeneration

We're going with Ra mode from now on. Naturally, I smash these guys to pieces.

Oh, hi Caius. I totally forgot about you.

Image: My payment?

That'll do.

It's been a while since we fought in the arena. Our opponent is Al Sahir, the champion.

As you'd expect, he's formidable. He's equipped with blue steel armor and weapons, including a chakram he'll use at range and a shamshir that is guaranteed to hit you with Poison and Bleeding.

He also likes to add to your misery by using nets.

Despite the heavy armor, Al Sahir is quite dexterous and dodged my attacks multiple times. At least he doesn't use a spear.

Somehow, I killed him on my first attempt.

ARENA CHAMPION, FUCK YES

The first thing I wanna say to all the little Octaviamaniacs out there...

Yep, this questline isn't over. Now we have to defend our title. If we talk to him again...

We need to wait until challengers become available. Our journal says to talk to Basil, so off we go.

Surprise, surprise, he's in trouble.

You poor man. Don't you know who you're dealing with?

Thanks for the support, Basil.

Another easy fight.

Image: Now I'll go check on Quintus. After you pay me for my trouble, of course. One thousand imperials.

Image: Well, if you don't have any money, then you're on your own. When the forty Thieves' thugs come to murder you, tell them that it wasn't your fault. I'm sure they'll understand.

Off to see Quintus.

Quintus and Basil really are birds of a feather.

Yawn...

Image: You can pay me for my trouble.

Image: Are you holding out on me, Quintus?

Image: I didn't come to you, Quintus, did I? You came to me and now it's too late to back out. So stop whining and pay me.

Back to Basil.

Image: I've handled it.

The quest is put on hold again. Let's finish this update with a bang. Remember the Arch and how seemingly pointless it was?

Check this out, my man.

We've got a badass cybernetic eye and we're gonna use it!

Whoa.

The only way to use the machines is with the Ghost Hand.

Three power tubes are required to activate the Hand, so save those up.

Oh shit, I think I turned it on.

Fuck yeah, we're going in!

Oh.

If you remember the lore, Abu Hassan came here with a crystal helmet that allowed him to enter this plane. We don't have the helmet, so...

Let's try a different approach.

Image: Send in one of your zealots to greet the Gods.

Uh...

Image: The Gods have accepted the sacrifice!

Don't be a party pooper.

Okay, I'm having second thoughts about this.

Image: We need another volunteer, old man.

Image: You've spent your entire life waiting for the Gods to return, like all those who came before you. Maybe these Gods aren't what you expected, but you can't turn away now just because you have doubts.

It's for a good cause, okay? Trust me.

Image: What's in Al-Akia?

No matter what you ask, the entity doesn't answer.

Image: One more.

I AM NOT A MONSTER

Image: Tell them what they see isn't real. Tell them that the Gods wish to test their faith and devotion. Only those who trust their hearts rather than their eyes will pass the test.

As you'd expect, the steetwise/persuasion requirements go up every time you sacrifice someone.

Image: Who are you?

Image: What is this place?

Image: It is said the First of the Magi traveled to your realm.

Image: What's in Al-Akia?

Image: It was a long time ago. The people who made the deal with you are long dead.

Image: It won't. I won't let it!

I need a drink.

Next Time: Hellgate

This game's really good at writing unnerving interactions with the otherwordly

I appreciate that for once we have a Classical Rome-flavored WRPG instead of some flavor of medieval Europe. Also it's amusing that the game AoD reminds me of the most is Long Live The Queen.

Part XXXII: Is that a giant spear in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Enough stalling -- it's time for Hellgate.

lol owned

Even outside it looks foreboding.

Looks normal so far.

A ziggurat, eh?

Someone is -- or was -- camping here.

An elevator. According to the stories, the real horrors are below. The House Crassus banners in the background are a recurring feature in the ruins we explore.

We found the (ex-)camper.

Could be dangerous.

Goody, it is! Let's mess with it.

We now have a functioning magic grenade!

Okay, now I'm seeing why this place is named Hellgate. When we step into the hallway...

oh shit

The construct can be a pain in the ass if you're not prepared. It's heavily armored, attacks multiple times in a single turn, and has a nasty flurry attack that can one-shot you. On top of that, you usually have to fight more than one. Our stats and equipment make these things a minor threat, but I don't feel like fighting, so let's try a different tactic. You might recall the seemingly useless device we found at Zamedi.

Threat neutralized!

Oh, hello. You appear to have a thousand yard stare.

Methinks Bennie needs some fresh air.

A prince? I guess I've seen stranger things...

Image: What happened to your father?

Of course there's more than one.

Image: Alright. I'll find that magic spear for you.

Oh c'mon!

Image: I didn't come here for the spear, so I'll gladly trade it for your help. This place is dangerous and I need an ally I can trust more than I need another weapon.

Ugly, but useful. If you can't convince Bennie, you're forced to fight the other constructs that infest this area.

One nice thing about killing constructs is looting sky metal off the remains.

Despite its size, Hellgate is mostly empty. All of those side rooms contain nothing of importance and the entrance sealed shut when we crossed the bridge. The only way to proceed is through the double doors on the right.

There are three hallways, but we need to go through the middle one first, which holds a pair of constructs and a pair of power generators. Disabling the generators turns off the laser grids lining the other two corridors, which you'll want to do because they sap you of 10hp and lower your CON if you touch them.

Another construct patrols the path beyond the generator room. It's easy to avoid if you take the side hallways. This door is actually leads to the final level, so we'll leave it alone.

Looks similar to the archive we found at Zamedi, and we also need 10 Lore to use it. If we check for recordings...

Sounds like they're talking about Thor-Agoth/Agathoth.

This chest holds a key that opens the path to the endgame and unlocks the entrance door.

Our goal is the treasure room, which is guarded by four constructs, so be aware of that. The smaller chests (two are trapped) contain sky metal, blue steel, and some power modules.

The big chest has this thing. How is Bennie going to use it?

We don't have to give Bennie the spear -- keeping it unlocks an ending, which I'll show much later. For now, let's get out.

Arriving at Maadoran gives us a message to check on Basil, but first we need to talk to Gaelius.

Gaelius, surprisingly, sounds backed into a corner.

Image: What about the Ordu?

Image: What makes you think Paullus would agree?

Image: What if you use the Guards to take Ganezzar and then send the Ordu to deal with the Guards once and for all?

I don't know the other requirements, but it takes 8 Persuasion to convince Gaelius to go through with our plan.

Image: Powerful men will always have enemies, my Lord, but an opportunity like this cannot be missed. Think of what you will accomplish in the next few years if you rule supreme. The Guards might not even be an issue by then.

Soundtrack: Imperial Guards II

Caer-Tor is a giant fort and the HQ for the Imperial Guards. Normally, we'd speak to Dux Paullus and persuade him to attack Ganezzar, the city falls, and the endgame begins. If you talked Gaelius into following your plan, the Ordu and Aurelians slaughter Paullus and the Imperial Guards when the siege ends.

We're not going through with that, however. There's a more interesting way of getting rid of Meru that can only be accomplished if we accompany him to Al-Akia, which you'll see in the next update. At the moment, we're going to finish some quests, starting with Basil's.

The Forty Thieves have finally given in.

Image: If they want to talk, I'm all ears. Where do they want to meet?

Image: Do you really think they want to talk?

Seems innocuous.

Of fucking course.

The scolopendra's biggest annoyance is it poisons you with each hit, which can reduce your HP to zero in seconds. Antidotes are required to survive encounters with them.

It only took me a few turns to kill it. Hooray for late-game weapons!

Eh, fuck it.

Image: Alright, let's go.

Accepting his offer puts us on the Forty Thieves path and forces us to pay 1000 imperials for the privilege. So...

Image: It's not *my* problem.

Three enemies -- one with a bow, one with a dagger, one with a spear. The spearman likes to start the fight by choking you with a bolas, which leaves you open to attacks by the others. This group loves to inflict all kinds of status ailments, ranging from Bleed and Cripple to armor and attack penalties, so it's a harder fight than it looks.

Three attempts later and I skewer the last guy.

Death Count: 55

Hi, Basil. Hi, Quintus.

Image: Glad I could help.

We could extort them for 1000 imperials one last time, but I'm feeling generous.

Next is the Arena quest line.

Image: Fight? I thought I was the champion.

Okay, sheesh.

Let's do this.

Hamul is... intense.

Galbo's ring, huh? You wouldn't have bought that from a loremaster named Feng, would you?

The next three fights are the hardest in the game up to this point. All three opponents have high-level armor and weapons, and their DEX is high enough so we're only hitting around half the time. Don't attempt this until you have at least 9s in a weapon skill and Dodge/Block. I'd also recommend putting a lot of points in Critical Strike, because it can save your ass (as you'll see). Put poison on your weapon and use a sharpening stone, use bombs, liquid fire, anything to give you an advantage.

Hamul likes to hit you with Bleed (a common thing with these enemies) and critical strike you into submission.

Surprisingly, it only took two tries to kill him.

Death Count: 57

Our armor has made the healer obsolete, as walking around for a few minutes fixes us completely.

Nice tattoos.

Image: Mostly travelers, from what I hear.

Plaudius, despite his heavy equipment, can dodge your attacks easily, and his hammer will pulverize your armor -- thank god ours is impervious to that trick. He's still a big threat.

I was insanely lucky and killed him with a critical strike. I was certain I was going to die at least once.

Widowmaker. The final opponent.

I took some time to prepare, because this fight is a fucking beast.

Widowmaker is clad in blue steel Imperial Armor, the heaviest and most damage resistant armor in the game. He's armed with a sky metal axe with all sorts of nifty effects on it, arguably making it the most powerful weapon you'll find. His most infuriating tactic is closing in and crit. striking you, guaranteed to kill instantly, which is something he does ALL THE TIME. Ranged weapons are probably the way to go, but I'm a melee character, so forget that. He is, without a doubt, a fucking migraine.

Imagine my surprise when I finished him in three turns. With no damage. Using a net nerfs him totally, because he can't move or use his axe. A handful of attacks and one critical strike later, he's dead. *That* is why you want a high CS.

He has the Eye of Thor-Agoth, which will be very useful later.

That's the end of the Arena quest. We reign supreme!

On a whim, I spoke with Abukar. Turns out you can tell him about the encounter at the Arch.

Image: The danger is in ignoring a threat lurking in the shadows we can't even see.

Image: Earlier you spoke of seals that must never be unlocked and spells that must never be reversed. Help me find them and make sure that they haven't been tampered with. It's the only way to ensure our safety.

He's referring to the temple we've been seeking since the beginning. For now, that has to wait.

Next Time: Al-Akia

Part XXXIII: The birthplace of the Gods

One last thing to do before going to Al-Akia: investigating the monastery the healer told us about back when we first arrived at Maadoran.

This feels like the time we had to rescue a noble from bandits back in Teron.

Yep, I'm pretty awesome. :smug:

Okay, let's cut to the chase.

Another fight? Yawn.

Sounds like these people have a nice setup.

Image: So, you stayed up here, hidden from the world?

Me, for one.

Image: Surely you have stories about it. What do they say?

Image: Do you have an elixir called the Extract of Amaranthus?

Interesting.

There's little to do in the village. Most of the people have only "Thanks for saving us," or "Talk to the Elder," or "The vault is off-limits," dialogue. The Elder himself has nothing else to say and can only sell us reagents. One of the few who can actually converse with us is the guy in white.

Hell, let's talk to him.

Image: I was lucky. But I've always been lucky when it comes to killing folks.

Image: You only get one life. Are you sure you want to spend it hiding up in the mountains?

Image: It's your decision, not mine. Think it through; consider how it would affect the community. If you leave, others might leave too. Without enough people to maintain and defend this place, it will soon cease to exist.

Image: They will notice you when you're gone, trust me.

Ugh, zoomers.

Very interesting. This was a medical facility.

Image: Why would a god be locked for eternity?

Image: Sacred formulae?

Given everything we've seen so far, I don't think these warnings are exaggerated.

Image: What else do you know about your ancestors?

HA

Yeah, I don't think so.

This fellow with the crossbow is the only other person we can talk to.

Image: Clearly I'm not with the raiders though.

Image: None, I suppose. But I will not. I respect your fear and concern. Perhaps I can actually help.

Here's the entrance to the vault.

Image: I just killed a dozen raiders. You sure you want to be in my way?

Wait, really? That worked? Huh.

Nothing here save for an elevator.

Big place.

There's also a strongbox containing the Extract of Amaranthus, but we don't want it. I'll explain in a moment.

Bor-ring!

We've been on the other side of this door -- the portal in the well led there. It's where we found the sarcophagus that increased our stats.

If we leave at this point, the Elder confronts us and kicks us out of the village, even if we don't take anything. If we took the Extract, we'd be forced to either hand it over or kill all the villagers. Giving the Extract to the healer rewards us with the Regeneration Potion, which gives us +1 hp per turn in combat, but we permanently lose 5 hp. Essentially, it's like the Power Armor's hidden fourth mode, but worse, so forget it. Let's reload a save and get out of here.

Image: I've been to that village.

Image: The man lied. There are no vats or elixirs there.

That's our good deed for the day.

Enough faffing around.

Image: I'm ready to accompany you to Al-Akia, brother.

Don't do that!

Image: These loremasters need full access to the site. You and your men are to stand guard while we explore the complex.

Image: Do you see any engineers here? You know why? They won't arrive until the loremasters report back. So the sooner we start, the sooner you get to go home.

By the way, the only way you'll see the inside of Al-Akia is if you team up with Meru.

Time to find the ritual chamber. But first, let's chat.

Image: Are you really going to sacrifice yourself?

Meru's intentions seem good, but there is that proverb about the road to Hell.

Thanks, Antidas. Fucker.

Oh boy, a bunch of tanks and esoteric machines.

I don't think so.

There are several places where we can go downstairs, but most are dead ends. There's a door across from the entrance that leads to where we want to go.

Looks like the living quarters.

These are Abu Hassan's notes. He certainly was arrogant.

"Won" being a relative term.

I think we can assume it's safe.

Hang on -- the legends say Abu Hassan crafted something that would allow him to visit other planes. Could this be it?

The game didn't show this, but this whole complex is housed inside a pyramid buried in sand.

Abu Hassan was not a popular guy.

Too bad we don't find out his reaction to the Gods breaking free and annihilating everything.

To proceed, we need to use the staircase near the glass columns.

Soundtrack: The Ritual

The music changes to something more sinister.

A Lore of 9 is necessary to perform the ritual. Sabotaging it is probably the smart thing to do, but I want to see what happens.

jesus tapdancing christ

Meru?

oh fuck no

Spoilers: it's Balzaar. You know, Chief of the Demons, the one crippled by Abu Hassan?

um...

Soundtrack: Combat III

Balzaar/Fake Meru is actually a pushover. After all, he's just been transferred into a new body and is still weak. If he was at full power... well, try not to think about it.

Surprisingly, I agree with Faelan.

Nothing else here. Let's gtfo.

Our final mission: find the temple. There's one last thing to do before I end the update.

We're back at the Arch. Let's hope this armor works.

Next Time: Goonius Christ

Part XXXIV: The power of money compels you

It's been a while, but I'm back. Part of the problem was that my capture software would randomly crap out, which means checking every. Single. Screenshot. Which means updates take much longer than usual. Sigh!

Back with Gaius Goonius, we were sent to Ganezzar to investigate Athanasius's claims that Meru is a bigger threat than previously thought. No camp of Aurelians to deal with. Let's talk to the guy in red.

We don't need the pendant, but information is always welcome.

Image: I'll buy the amulet if you answer my questions.

Stuff we know from the previous playthrough, but whatever.

When we enter the town...

Stop right there, criminal scum!

The correct answer is obvious.

Image: I bow to no man but the Gods who watch over us from their heavenly abode.

Simple.

The Commercium building is near the temple. Athanasius's office is on the second floor, of course.

He's almost a Dreamworks Face.

Athanasius wants to use Meru's creed for his own ends.

Image: Easier said than done.

Image: And if I fail?

Image: You mentioned some rumors...

We know Meru found the star room and that turned him into a believer.

Image: Do you believe in stories of gods and demons?

Glad to see Athanasius keeps an open mind.

Image: You mentioned a prophet...

Yeah, we met that freak in the main playthrough.

Image: You mentioned other people...

Ugh, don't get me started on Faelan...

Off to the castle.

Good thing we passed ourselves off as the messiah way back in Teron.

Image: My name is Gaius Goonius. I believe my arrival was foretold.

That's right, kiss my feet.

The intro with Meru is the same, except for this part.

Image: I have many questions...

Meru is suspicious of us, naturally.

Image: I *claim* to be chosen, not all knowing. The gods have told me to come here, for it is in this holy city that my destiny will be revealed. I didn't feel that it was my place to question them, but I would question my brother in the faith to better understand the path the gods have laid down for me.

Image: And you think you can bring them back?

Image: Gateways?

Just gotta open a wormhole.

Image: What makes you think they have our best interests at heart?

please please please don't sic faelan on me

Image: Forgive me for questioning you in such a direct manner, Brother. I merely wish to hear you speak on this most worthy subject.

lmfao

Antidas is a real whipping boy among the nobles.

ok boomer

Image: The House of Worship?

We've gone as far as we can with Meru. Back to Athanasius.

Image: I did what Meru asked, but he isn't ready to let me in yet.

Image: Miracles?

He has a point.

Everything's ready. Talking to Athanasius advances the plot.

Image: I'm ready to do some miracles!

pay no attention to the crowd blinking out of existence

Like taking candy from a baby.

Uh oh. Maybe we can bullshit our way out of this.

Image: What ails you, brother?

Insert COVID joke here.

Let's try healing him with sheer force of will.

I COMMAND THE DEMONS INFECTING THIS MAN'S LUNGS TO COME OUT!

damn it

Yeah, like anyone will believe that load of --

Oh.

If you can't "heal" the sick man, you have to convince the zealot you're the real deal.

Meru isn't happy another holy man is on his territory.

Image: Did you not tell me to go and inspire people with my actions?

Image: Has my coming not been foreshadowed? Have the tales of my deeds not reached your ears? The Gods brought me here not to be judged by mortal men but to do Gods' work. Only they can question the depth of my devotion.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Meru takes us to the star room as he did with Octavia. Surprisingly, Gaius Goonius's stats are high enough to survive sitting in the throne.

Image: I'm humbled by the Gods' graces.

Image: They said our destinies are intertwined and that together we'll bring the Gods' Kingdom to earth.

The only thing left to do is speak to Meru and OH MY GOD IS THAT WHO I THINK IT IS

It's FENG! :buddy:

It's always nice to see a familiar face. :)

Next Time: Al-Akia, but boring