Balance Is Made Up & Stat Caps Don't Matter - Fire Emblem: Sacred War

Put your Let's Plays in here.
It's a bit surreal to me, because Eirika ended up being one of my best characters in this (I know, what?!). Admittedly, I gave her a Dragon Tear early, but still. A 45% strength growth should not be doing this.

Update IX - Ballistaless

Alright, last chapter before we get Ephraim back. Let's go.

First of all, Natasha gets the Dragon Tear we got last time. I'm pretty sure she's going to be the primary healer for now and get promoted fairly soon, so let's give her a boost. Now, on to the map.

So yeah, no ballistas this time, but wyverns and Purge assholes. We also need to walk a bit more before getting to the boss this time.

So, for the first turn, we largely set up to not get a vulnerable unit smacked around by the wvyern...

...because these guys are fairly beefy. We can't really attack the cavs right away, since we'd get counterattacked by the knights with javelins as well, so a more passive approach on turn 1 seems like the way to go.

And it works out pretty well! I didn't notice that Artur was in range of one of the cavs, but whatever, he can take a hit. Now we just need to clean up.

Ross levels up in the cleanup process...

And then we start a range war, or rather a war at range, with the knights.

Garcia gets stronger when a cav gets involved as well on enemy phase. The knight he attacked actually retreated, so we won't be seeing him for a while because healing is quite a ways away.

And Gilliam also gets more knight than he was before. You'll also note that the area has gotten a lot more crowded, with three cavs and another wyvern.

Vanessa gets stronger in the cleanup process.

And while we do need Seth to do so, we do clean up the entire force in one turn.

So we trudge forward and set up to take on the next enemies.

However, I get cold feet with Franz because of his relatively low HP and pulled him out with Seth. Now...

...I was probably right to do so...

...but what I did not consider...

...was that he was not the only one at risk. Balls.

Resets: 3

Alright, second attempt. This time, we go forward with someone that can take a lot of hits.

And Ross gets to level up a second time in the cleanup.

As well as Natasha getting a level in the healing.

Our next move is to slowly trudge our way through the forests and mountains, getting attacked by a fighter and two mercs.

Neimi actually gets a level after picking off the injured fighter.

Artur gets promotion-ready as we pick off the archers on the other side while we trudge through the forest, though I don't think he'll be promoted any time soon, because I have other plans.

Gilliam takes the lead, since he's pretty good at that, and we find out that these six units there (now five) don't move, so we'll need to pick them off ourselves. And we pick up a new tome!

Shine: Rank D. Range 1-2. Weight 7 (-1). Might 6. Hit 90. Crit 20 (+12). 50 uses.

Big crit boost for Shine, just like with the other light magic tomes. Artur will make good use of this, though it still weighs him down by 1, which I find to often turn out to be the difference between doubling or not.

And during taking out that enemy squad...

...HALLELUJAH, HOLY SHIT. She fucking got Strength. Only took her ten fucking levels.

Vanessa gets a blah level as well.

As we get no movement on enemy phase, we move on up and get the cavs to move in.

Surprise! Purge asshole! Did we go over Purge yet? Let's go over Purge.

Purge: Rank C (formerly B). Range 3-10. Weight 17 (-3). Might 7 (-3). Hit 85 (+10). Crit 20 (+15). 5 uses.

I'm not a fan of those changes as somebody that will more than likely be on the receiving end of these quite a few times. I suppose the rank downgrade is to allow Monks to access it as well, and while the nerf in might is welcomed somewhat, the increased accuracy and crit make it definitely more dangerous.

Joshua gets a very myrmidon level after taking out one of the cavs.

And Seth just sets up and waits to protect Vanessa, who is trying to deal with Purge asshole.

Natasha levels again while moving up with the rest of the gang.

Next turn, Vanessa takes out the Purge asshole. ...now that I think about it, I guess this guy is the ballista replacement.

Gilliam gets more resistant after we mop up the little group between us and the bridges to the castle.

Next, we start working on the groups of four, with two magic units on forts behind two knights with javelins. In general, this just means we have Ross and Garcia hand axe the knights to death before somebody else knocks out the magic units.

Ross is now also very speed.

And Lute takes care of the other knight and gets this level for it.

While it does take a fair amount of units, we do clean up this first group.

The second group doesn't take any real work to dispatch, meaning all we have left is Murray.

+11 HP, +2 STR, +2 SKL, -1 SPD, -4 LCK, +3 DEF and +1 RES compared to his hard mode counterpart. Not sure what the nerfs are for here, but whatever, I'll take some stats not getting boosted. Also, you'll note the +1 to DEF he has shown - holding promotion items gives you a 1 point boost to one stat. Not sure why this was introduced, really.

However, he is a cav, and therefore gets fucked up by the rapier. So let's just do that.

You didn't have any ballistas!

And dead in one round of combat. You don't need strength if you have effective weapons, I suppose. Not sure what I'll do with the knight crest yet - not going to be using it right now, that's for sure.

And that'll be it for this chapter! Next time, Ephraim is back!

Praise the heavens, Eirika finally got some strength! Shame it took so damn long, though.

Update X - The Good Lord Is Back

I think we're far beyond this being a trap now.

Never mind, I stand corrected. That group of enemies right at the start is quite fearsome. In general, there's quite the army assembled here. I went back and looked at the vanilla hard mode version of this map, and now it looked downright barren to me compared to this. There's a lot going on here. Well, let's get to it!

The first move is going to be semi-defensive in nature - Josh and Ross take out the fighters while Gilliam starts on a merc and Seth waits on the defensive. We should be able to weather the counterattack just fine and thus can use the rest on the guys on the left and a ranged attack on the injured merc.

Vanessa levels after taking out the archer.

And Garcia gets a well deserved level for killing a merc with a 41 hit hand axe hit.

Ephraim shows up with the gang after the first turn, and it's very welcome.

They set up defensively as well.

Franz was the only one taking any serious damage from the first turn, with Ross not killing the merc and therefore being safe and Seth and Gilliam being basically impervious.

Eirika takes out the knight and gets an interest in this "leveling Strength" thing.

And Franz just disappoints here.

Ross levels up as well by taking out the mage, and suddenly that first group doesn't seem so tough anymore.

Next player phase, Kyle seems a bit surrounded, but it's nothing we can't deal with.

Kyle takes out the archer, Ephraim oneshots the cav...

...and Forde disappoints. He does get the kill on enemy phase though.

Meanwhile, Ross takes on the knights.

And then, we get the usual cavalry reinforcements...

...but also some surprise fliers!

I can't be arsed to deal with the cavs in any way but the easiest one right now, so Ephraim it is. Go and oneshot some guys.

Natasha gets more combat ready with another level.

As for the fliers, we set up just outside their range and hope we can take them all out in one clean sweep on the next player phase.

Ephraim keeps getting better as he turns the cavs into mincemeat.

Then Ross goes and shows him up with this level while fighting the knights.

And we get more cavs and more fliers. This could get tricky.

Artur whittles down the wyvern and picks up this level in the process. Hm, I wonder if Forde can kill this half-HP wyvern?

...ugh. That's a silver sword, Forde!

Joshua picks up the kill instead after Franz did some more chipping with a javelin.

And since I basically have to have some units in range of the new reinforcement fliers, might as well stick Seth in there and see if he can take some fire.

And indeed, Seth takes most of the heat, taking out the peg as well.

More reinforcements. Another three cavs, another three fliers. Thankfully, Ephraim can easily deal with the cavs, and Garcia and Artur can take out the fliers that were already here...

...and Seth and Gilliam set up to meet the next group. I think we've got this in hand now.

Ross picks up a skillful level in taking out the lone shaman still standing around after getting hurt by Artur, who then had to rush to meet the fliers.

Ephraim's cavalier meatgrinder gives him another level.

And on the next player phase, Lute gets promotion ready by taking out a peg. No reinforcements this turn, so now we just need to take out the remainders and we can move on.

And in doing that, Garcia picks up a level as well.

Colm grabs the first treasure. A guiding ring is very useful, we have plenty magic users that can use a promotion fairly soon.

Surprise! Purge asshole! Thankfully Colm would have barely survived a crit. Still, I think we'll let Seth make the monk use up his Purge uses just in case.

Meanwhile, we split up the gang and let the other half head towards the other treasure chests to clear everything out for Colm to eventually get there.

In cleaning up the area before the chests, Vanessa gets even quicker.

The group moving right has made it to the central area and is starting to pick at the last units before Tirado.

And on the same turn, the group moving left has made it through as well!

And then there's Colm.

As the two groups combine and take out Tirado's entourage, Forde gets... a solid level. I guess that's all I can ask for with him.

Natasha is promotion ready. That's pretty quick!

And while we thought we had everything taken out, Sacred War gives us a knight at the bottom staircase and four cavs to deal with before we can truly concentrate on the boss. However, we'll just move Garcia to block one hallway (all cavs have lances) and Gilliam will block the other. Eirika plugs the knight with the rapier.

Alright, now let's deal with this boss. Let's have Seth wreck him.

...ah. Oh well, then Ephraim will do the trick.

...huh. What is this guy?

+8 HP, +1 STR, +3 SKL, +3 SPD, +7 LCK, +1 DEF and -2 RES. Also...

Hoplon Guard: +1 LCK, +1 DEF, +1 RES. Protects against effectiveness for armor and cavalry units.

Well, that's a lot more useful for him right now than protecting against critical hits. So it looks like his weakness, as is, seems to be magic.

So basically this is the best we'll get. We'll set up Lute and Natasha to try and whittle down Tirado. Thankfully she's fast enough to double, or else this could've gotten really bad.

We could've gotten Artur on support, but is that 5 crit? I don't think so!

Gilliam levels in taking out the reinforcement cavs.

Lute levels while fighting Tirado, and that's not helping!

But at least she gets a better one after the kill.

And then I remember I've forgotten about Colm for a few turns now. So now he gets to slowly trek to the chests while everybody else waits.

And he picks up more promotion items! Will be very useful as many of our units have already passed level 10 and can be promoted as necessary.

That'll be it for this chapter!

Money!

Route choice!

And of course we pick Ephraim. We just have to go through the ghost ship.

So next time, it'll be Fort Rigwald, and I'll get up to some incredibly stupid shit. See you then!

Having to slowly chip away at a general on a throne with mages in Ch8. I thought this was FE6 for a bit.

Just kidding, those surprise flier reinforcements would have to be ninja reinforcements for that.

I imagine if Colm's set up properly, he could zip in and steal the Hoplon Guard for the player to use. And I have the feeling that this game (either vanilla or this hack) has no measures in place for the player finding a Hoplon Guard at least 5 chapters before they're supposed to get it (from defeating Caellach in the big desert chapter).

AradoBalanga wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:01 pm
I imagine if Colm's set up properly, he could zip in and steal the Hoplon Guard for the player to use. And I have the feeling that this game (either vanilla or this hack) has no measures in place for the player finding a Hoplon Guard at least 5 chapters before they're supposed to get it (from defeating Caellach in the big desert chapter).
I mean, it's protection against effective weapons for cavalry and armor units. How many enemies carry effective weapons? I sure as hell don't see a lot.

I think the game fully intends you to be stealing them, actually. There's some postgame content (well, in the second patch anyway) that has accessory items which are locked from being stolen (I think what they actually did was implement them as weapons? I'm not sure though), so Seal has the technology to do that if they want to. And I don't think the hack ever has items like this flagged as droppable.

Hoplon Guards are kind of mediocre here, though. It's nice enough to have (and it's a solid chunk of cash if you sell it), but it doesn't make a huge difference, I don't remember running into issues with effective weaponry until postgame. That said, it also has some decent stat boosts, and those work on any character you give it to.

Fili Shields, on the other hand, are well worth raising a thief for. (Then again, I used literally every flying unit the game let me have... if you're not doing that, you might not value them as highly...)

There are eventually shops where you can buy as many of these as you want, so missing out on the stealable ones isn't the end of the world by any means, but this hack definitely likes scattering stealable items about and I'm pretty sure it expects you to be going after them.

Loving how this is going so far.

Update XI - Insert Training Montage Music Here

So before we start the chapter proper, we need to get into a skirmish. Not because I need more experience or anything, just because I need to buy some staves from the shop beyond that monster.

Interesting: Skirmish maps start you at a different position than the mission that took place there. Was it that way in vanilla? I have no idea, I don't remember a single skirmish map from vanilla.

Also, here's an interesting thing: Every monster here has 100 gold for you. The boss would have a lot more. Later skirmish maps have even more money. That's the idea with the maps - missions give more EXP, skirmishes give more gold. We'll revisit this at a later date, for now, we just escape. I then buy the staves I wanted and a bunch of 1-2 range weapons just for good measure.

Now, let's get to the actual mission. Stupid shit awaits.

So, first of all, before we start the map, let's talk about this hero guy in the middle of the map.

He's got an energy ring. I want that energy ring.

He's got 15 speed.

Colm has 10 speed. So, if I want that energy ring, I have some work to do. First of all, I can give Colm two Star Seals, since both Ephraim and Eirika started with one, so that should boost his speed by 2.

Now I still need 4 speed on Colm to hit 16. Let's see if we can manage that. The boosts to everything else should also be very useful.

Then, as the map starts, Tana is brought to her cell as usual, but this time, there's no door, but instead a berserker that hangs out there to keep her from leaving.

He's not boss tier, but can be pretty fierce. That'll be something we have to deal with eventually.

First of all, I realize that an iron sword isn't going to cut it, so Colm gets the killing edge. This should also help quite a bit in training him.

We set up in a defensive formation to see which of the enemies ahead of us move.

The answer is none of them, but the cavs from the bottom have now joined in. So let's just wait again and let those cavs get in our face first. I have a suspicion this map will take forever anyway.

We manage to leave a cav with 1 HP, so that sets up Colm's first kill. Not pretty, but it gets the job done.

Well, he got speed. That's all that counts right now.

Artur also gets a level from taking out the other cav.

Colm gets another kill and another level, making good progress.

Natasha levels from healing again.

And Ross levels from fighting a knight on enemy phase.

Another weakened mage means another kill for Colm, but no level this time.

Setting up kills for Colm does get a bit ridiculous at times. I use Franz, Forde and Ephraim to whittle a knight down to 4 HP, but that's not enough for a Colm kill without a counter (he does 3 HP damage to the knight), so I check Vanessa, who does 4 HP exactly with a double javelin hit, but only 2 HP with a double slim lance hit. So of course she then crits twice, doing 4 HP of damage and killing the knight. Bah.

After cleaning out that group, nobody moves on enemy phase, so I guess it's our turn to approach them again.

Garcia levels up after killing a knight together with Gilliam. I kinda thought Garcia would end up on the bench sooner or later, but he seems to be hanging on, and seems to be the most likely hero crest recipient right now.

Kyle gets all the important stats killing the other knight.

Eventually, we whittle down the units here until there's just one archer left, who will be part of some training exercises.

So we give Colm an iron sword and let him whack at that archer for a bit.

And while Colm does that, we unlock the door and start setting up the Amelia recruitment.

Surprise! Reinforcements! Those fighters could theoretically be interesting for Colm, albeit threatening as well. The pegs we'll just let Ross deal with.

Colm levels up again trying and failing to kill the archer with the killing edge.

We set up in a somewhat risky way, where either Colm or Forde will take some damage from the archer, hopefully funneling the fighters into attacking Colm and dying.

Colm of course gets hit by the first fighter, but thankfully doesn't kill the fighter so the second one can't get to him.

And of course, because this is Sacred War, the reinforcement wave repeats. This complicates matters a bit.

Colm kills the archer, opening up a spot for Natasha to walk in and heal Colm so he hopefully doesn't die.

Natasha levels again.

Meanwhile, I think Ross won't have any problems with the pegs, though I decide to send Ephraim in just in case, not like we're moving on right now anyway.

Colm levels on enemy phase by killing the fighter, but he gets hit too, and he might die here. So this might get ugly. Thankfully, the next fighter misses and Colm doesn't kill him.

Ephraim levels while fighting the pegs.

And Colm levels again killing the last fighter. He should be ready to steal from the hero, even if he didn't get speed on this level.

We set up an unarmed Gilliam to lure Amelia in, then rescuedrop Ephraim over to be ready to recruit her. I completely forgot Franz can recruit her as well. Oh well.

Gilliam does his job.

And Ephraim does his.

Amelia - Recruit:

STATS:

LV: 1
HP: 18

STR: 4
SKL: 3
SPD: 4
LCK: 6
DEF: 3 (+1)
RES: 3

MOV: 4
CON: 6

GROWTHS:

HP: 60%

STR: 45% (+10%)
SKL: 45% (+5%)
SPD: 45% (+5%)
LCK: 55% (+5%)
DEF: 35% (+5%)
RES: 30% (+15%)

Amelia... is still Amelia. Nothing much has changed here from the start. Her growths got a big boost, though, so she should stay competitive in the long run, even if she has to be babied for a while. And once she gets going, she'll be ground pounding your mom like nobody's business.

We set up the weaponless Gilliam again to lead in the hero we want to steal from. He doesn't take a lot of damage. Now, let's steal.

...uh, what? We... can't steal. I suppose this means that the stat boosts from the Star Seals don't count for stealing calculations. Bollocks.

Then I stopped recording because I had to do something else, then forgot to start recording again at the beginning, so some parts are missing. The key parts are this:

Colm got Amelia's speed ring to boost him to 16 speed naturally. He then steals the energy ring from the hero.

And Amelia gets the energy ring. She also gets the Star Seals for a bit of a boost. The hero gets killed by a few of our units.

Gilliam then moves in to take out the remaining knight.

And Lute takes out the mages.

We then start luring one of the archers out with Seth and Gilliam.

Of course, I forgot that Gilliam had a javelin and almost killed the archer, but still, that's some experience for Amelia.

And she gets her first level of many.

I fuck up a bit more with the second and third archer, but at least Amelia gets another level out of it. We'll find some more stuff she can beat up on.

Now, here's the thing with that berserker: He doesn't move, and he doesn't have a ranged weapon. So we'll have somebody plink at him from a range.

We try Amelia for a while, but, uh, it doesn't go well.

She gets a level sniping a weakened merc, though.

Amelia's next assignment is this steel lance knight that doesn't move. She'll farm a lot of EXP from this guy.

Meanwhile, Lute whittles down the berserker.

Amelia gets another level.

And Lute levels after killing the berserker.

And Kyle levels after taking out the myrmidons up top. Levels all around!

Colm starts pilfering the chests. I only too late start realizing that maybe I should be more careful with his lockpick and maybe use the fucking unlock staff I bought.

Another level for Amelia.

Another chest for Colm. Everything has kind of slowed to a crawl while I grind up Amelia. While we're here, let's look at Tana.

Tana - Pegasus Knight:

STATS:

LV: 10 (+6)
HP: 27 (+7)

STR: 10 (+3)
SKL: 12 (+3)
SPD: 15 (+2)
LCK: 12 (+4)
DEF: 9 (+3)
RES: 7

MOV: 7
CON: 5

GROWTHS:

HP: 55% (-10%)

STR: 45%
SPD: 55% (-10%)
LCK: 50% (-10%)
DEF: 30% (+10%)
RES: 30% (+5%)

So, Tana got a big level boost. She's going to be a solid contributor alongside Vanessa right off the bat. Her growths ended up a bit more balanced, as seems to be a theme with this hack.

Colm gets another status booster, which is always nice.

Amelia is still whittling down that knight.

Eventually, she kills him and gets another level.

And meanwhile, Natasha heals a bit and levels as well.

After moving forward a bit, Amelia gets surprised by a moving archer, but she can take him out on player phase for another level. Only one left now.

Our real units start moving forward, taking out moving units and checking what units don't move for a potential target for Amelia. Franz levels while doing so. He might be ready for promotion soon.

Gilliam levels after getting surprised by the warrior standing in Gheb's room. I guess I didn't check if he had ranged weapons.

Did I bring up that 18 is now the unpromoted cap? 18 is now the unpromoted cap. I guess it's supposed to further encourage early promotion or something.

Checking the situation vs. that warrior, I suddenly don't like my odds so much, so I move Gilliam away. Meanwhile, Franz cleans up at the bottom.

And Amelia gets her final level after attacking the archer that doesn't move. So that'll be everything done that she needs to do this map.

Franz keeps working on the units down there while dodging the warrior's range and levels again.

Lute sits down in the warrior's range to start whittling him down, since we can just safely position Natasha behind her and have her heal every round.

You'll also note the support option. I've deliberately not been taking any supports so far. I will sit on those for the entirety of the regular game, probably, and grind the ones I want out during the postgame after I have a good idea of what units I want to use and what combinations work best. In my first playthrough, I messed up some supports and ended up with some characters that had completely useless supports, and I want to avoid that this time.

Since Lute doubles, she takes out the warrior fairly quickly and gets another level. She's looking pretty promotion-ready, too.

Franz takes out the remaining two mercs, leaving only Gheb to deal with.

+3 HP, -1 STR, +5 SKL, +3 SPD, -1 LCK, -1 DEF, +4 RES and +1 CON compared to his vanilla hard mode counterpart. He's also picked up a bow, giving him a ranged option and making him somewhat more dangerous. Not as dangerous as he'd have been with a hand axe, but hey.

Taking him on in melee is not recommended, I'd say.

Natasha levels again after healing up Franz. She might be promotion-ready too.

So, the strat for Gheb is pretty simple. Ross, Lute and Artur attack him from range, then get rescuedropped (which is why I have Vanessa, Franz and Seth set up nearby). They'll then do the same thing again next turn and repeat until he's dead.

Ross is looking pretty damn good.

And Artur nets the kill...

...and a garbage level in the process.

And that'll be the chapter! This one took quite some time, which I guess makes sense if you're grinding a recruit to level 10 and grinding your thief up several levels for some stupid plan that didn't even really work. Next time...

...ah, shit.

So does Amelia promote immediately? I'm used to Awakening style "level up to L20 before promoting" style mechanics.

Quackles wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:39 pm
So does Amelia promote immediately? I'm used to Awakening style "level up to L20 before promoting" style mechanics.
Recruits in this game (Ross, Amelia and Ewan) are prompted to promote if they start a map at level 10, which is their cap. Everyone else promotes using their promotion item between levels 10 and 20, just like in Awakening. Unlike in Awakening, there are no Master Seals and each class uses a different item. So yes, Amelia will promote upon starting the next map.

...I think. I haven't played this one in a while.

Yeah, that's how it works. No need for promotion items for the first promotion for recruits.

Basically, even more in this hack than in vanilla, schlepping around recruits is a *huge* liability, so getting them grinded up to level 10 for the promotion to an actual unit is something you want to do ASAP.

Update XII - Sometimes, You Just Say "Fuck It"

Ugh, this chapter. I have bad memories about this chapter. But we'll get into that later.

First, we get ourselves another promotion.

And it's really not a question.

Gotta get the horse. And apart from the skill deficit, she's looking pretty good! I feel like if I hadn't given Forde that booster, she'd be competing with him.

Artur ends up getting both boosters we picked up last map that didn't end up on Colm or Amelia, since he has pretty big deficits in both defense and luck.

Now, what's my problem with this chapter? Well, as you might remember, keeping all green units alive awards you a knight crest. And since I've got Franz, Kyle, Forde, Gilliam and Amelia all in use, knight crests might be useful. It was similar in my first playthrough, where I wanted four paladins ASAP. So I really wanted that crest.

Well, let me tell you... keeping those fuckers alive is incredibly annoying. I restarted so many times trying to get that crest, getting more and more frustrated. They're decent enough at keeping the pirates off their backs, and their vulneraries healing 20 HP helps them a lot, but once Cormag shows up... they're just fucked. Cormag in particular seems to just hate the green units and will fuck their shit up.

We'll see how it goes this time, but I refuse to reset over the green units. If they die, they die. And with that, let's get going!

So, the first priorities are to clean out that first defensive formation and that Purge asshole.

First of all, our pegs clear out that Purge asshole. They're going to be heading east for a bit first and doing some stuff before rejoining the main group.

Vanessa caps speed.

Forde does well for once in killing one of the mercs.

And Franz kills the fighter and does almost as well. Franz doing almost as well as Forde. Weird world.

I'm noticing these mages on the forts are quite dodgy. In the end, Ross and Seth were the ones to get above 70 hit and get the job done.

Selena gets replaced on the first enemy phase.

We can see the pirates can deal some mean damage to those green cavs and don't get doubled back. That's not pretty.

Back on player phase, Artur picks up a good level as we work our way closer towards Duessel.

All these magic units on forts are being quite annoying.

The pegs are getting closer to their target - that troubadour has Physic and Restore, with Restore being droppable. So taking her out will help both in taking that Physic off the board and getting ourselves a free Restore.

Seth puts his 9 move to good use and rushes out to try and defend the green units.

The rest of the gang head to the central area, and I'll figure out what they're going to do eventually - I'll probably have some head down and some head towards the boss, because I think I can end this map early with a strike at the boss. We have 17 turns to survive here, after all, and I don't think we'll need that much.

Franz gets into quite the pickle, needing to dodge this attack from the ranger to not die, but he manages to do so.

Cormag gets ready to move. We also get some reinforcements - a constant trickle of pirates down south, a merc from a fort near the boss, and an archer from the fort near the bottom right village.

Tana takes out the troubadour and gets ready to head south to meet up with Cormag. Vanessa tags along.

The ranger is quite dangerous - his skill allows him to attack first, even if somebody attacks him - but we can attack him at 1 range and have Ephraim fuck his shit up something fierce. Amelia gets the kill after this.

And after we've by and large cleared out the central area, Kyle picks up the secret book. This will be going on Amelia for sure.

Seth, meanwhile, supports the green units by working on the approaching archers.

I appreciate the speed and strength, Amelia, but I have to be honest, I'd kinda like some skill now.

We have a Cormag Moving Alert. Hide your green units, we have a Cormag Moving Alert. Cormag is coming to fuck your green units up.

Next turn, we get our pegs back into the action, which is nice.

We also start getting some units to move south to help Seth out. We might be able to work this out.

Franz caps speed after taking out a knight.

The way we split up makes me think that taking the boss out isn't going to be that big an issue and ending the level early is definitely a possibility. Which is good, because I'm pretty sure the reinforcements are just storing up their power before they unleash hell.

Kyle levels up from fighting a cav.

I kinda need to think about what I'm doing with Cormag now.

Also Franz nearly died. I am absolutely lucking out here. And to note, we've had the reinforcement trickle for a few turns now. It's starting to add up, though I guess the green units are taking out the pirates mostly (apart from the one that knocked Franz's HP low enough that he almost died here).

OK, so Cormag is here. He is absolutely going to fuck one of those green units up if we don't block or distract him somehow. He has a killer lance, so I'm not exactly interested in the "block" idea, because I can't imagine that I have two units that survive a crit from him. So it'll have to be a distraction of some kind that I hope will work.

Tana can't get anywhere near right now, so I definitely mistimed that. I absolutely could've just gotten her close, recruited Cormag with her, rescued her with Cormag and bailed, and everything would've been fine. Alas...

You know, I know that I've already seen it and therefore should know it, but damn, Natasha's magic growth is nuts.

Now, here's the plan. We take Gilliam, take away his weapons, and set him into Cormag's path. Now we just hope the AI prefers attacking units where they don't get counterattacked, because I feel like that's a thing.

Vanessa gets more strength after killing a cav. And I see a lot of mercs over there and think that sending a few lance users there should mop this up pretty quick.

And now it's time to see what happens on enemy phase.

...what did you think was going to happen on enemy phase? Of course. Cormag will not rest until he has annihilated every single green unit off the face of this earth. Not even unarmed units can distract him.

And of course the other wyverns go for Gilliam. It's just Cormag that has this anti-green AI, apparently. Either that or they have it too but decided they can't reach any green unit. At least I can now stop giving a shit about those green units.

And of course Tana can't reach.

Well, let's just position units as if Cormag won't go for them and instead attack more green units. This surely cannot backfire in any possible way.

Lute picks up a level cleaning up the other wyverns.

And Ephraim gets ready to style on this entire group of guys.

On enemy phase, Tana gets to fight a pirate and levels.

Ephraim almost caps speed while in the process of styling.

My gambit works out as Cormag decides that these green units have to fucking die.

And finally, Tana gets to recruit Cormag. Now I just need to get that village and Ephraim can murder the boss.

Ross is going to cap strength, skill and speed before promoting. Now, let's look at Cormag.

Cormag - Wyvern Rider:

STATS:

LV: 14 (+5)
HP: 35 (+5)

STR: 16 (+2)
SKL: 14 (+5)
SPD: 12 (+2)
LCK: 7 (+3)
DEF: 15 (+3)
RES: 4 (+2)

MOV: 7
CON: 9

GROWTHS:

HP: 70% (-15%)

STR: 60% (+5%)
SKL: 50% (+10%)
SPD: 40% (-5%)
LCK: 35%
DEF: 45% (+20%)
RES: 20% (+5%)

Killer Lance: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 9. Might 9 (-1). Hit 70. Crit 30. 50 uses (+30).

Cormag? Good. Like, he's promotion ready right now and comes with the item for it. I'll leave him unpromoted for a few more levels, but still. His growths are really good too. Just an all around great unit.

And since we're close to murking the boss, let's check him out.

+5 HP, -3 STR, -2 SKL, -2 SPD, +2 LCK, -2 DEF. Went from lancereaver, killer bow and longbow to a steel sword and steel bow. God damn, Beran got hit with the fucking nerf bat. That is so weird. I mean, I'm not complaining, but it's just weird. I guess this is a good time to bring up the ranger's skill.

Ambush:

- Always attack first, even during the enemy phase.
- 2DMG when equipped with bows

Honestly, give a ranger a brave weapon and they'll turn into an enemy phase wrecking crew. Alas, it won't help Beran here.

Vanessa breaks through to get the village next turn. There are no enemies left that move, so enemy phase is uneventful.

The game does give me a pretty good incentive to haul ass, though. This doesn't show two cavs that also spawned in the area the boss is in.

Vanessa gets another booster, which will come in handy for somebody.

And it's time to show the boss what's what.

Beran misses his attack, Ephraim misses his first, and then fucks his shit up with a crit.

GG no re. Not sure why I had so much trouble with this map the first time through - had I only kept Tana closer, I could've recruited Cormag easily and saved the green units. Oh well. I'll live with the consequences of my actions.

Next time... ugh.

Mini-Update I - A Bunch Of Basic Weapons

Hey, this is going to be a quick mini-update, as you might have guessed from the title. What you can probably also guess from the title is that it's about weapons. I seem to forget half the time to go over weapons when they come up, so I'll just give you one post with all the basic weapons' stats, so I'll only have to go over the specific good ones when they come up.

---
WEAPONS:
---

SWORDS:

Slim Sword: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 2. Might 3. Hit 100. Crit 15 (+10). 50 uses (+20).
Iron Sword: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 5. Might 4 (-1). Hit 90. Crit 0. 50 uses.
Poison Sword: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 4 (-2). Might 3. Hit 90 (+20). Crit 0. 50 uses (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Steel Sword: Rank D. Range 1. Weight 9 (-1). Might 7 (-1). Hit 85 (+10). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Sword: Rank C (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 8. Might 11 (-2). Hit 75 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Killing Edge: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 7. Might 8 (-1). Hit 75. Crit 30. 50 uses (+30).
Cleaver: Rank C (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 9 (-1). Might 9 (+1). Hit 70 (-10). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+32). Effective against cavalry and armor.

Noble Rapier: Rank Prf (Eirika only). Range 1. Weight 5. Might 8 (+1). Hit 100 (+5). Crit 20 (+10). 50 uses (+10). Effective against cavalry and armor.

LANCES:

Slim Lance: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 4. Might 4. Hit 90 (+5). Crit 15 (+10). 50 uses (+20).
Iron Lance: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 7 (-1). Might 6 (-2). Hit 80. Crit 0. 50 uses (+5).
Toxin Lance: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 6 (-2). Might 4. Hit 80 (+15). Crit 0. Uses 50. Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Javelin: Rank D (formerly E). Range 1-2. Weight 10 (-1). Might 5 (-1). Hit 65. Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Steel Lance: Rank D. Range 1. Weight 10 (-3). Might 9 (-1). Hit 75 (+5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Lance: Rank C (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 10. Might 12 (-2). Hit 70 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Killer Lance: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 9. Might 9 (-1). Hit 70. Crit 30. 50 uses (+30).
Knight Killer: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1. Weight 11 (+6). Might 10. Hit 70 (-5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+20). Effective against cavalry and armor.

Noble Lance: Rank Prf (Ephraim only). Range 1. Weight 8. Might 10. Hit 90 (+10). Crit 15 (+5). 50 uses. (+5) Effective against cavalry and armor.

AXES:

Slim Axe: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 5. Might 5. Hit 85. Crit 15. 50 uses.
Iron Axe: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 8 (-2). Might 7 (-1). Hit 75. Crit 0. 50 uses (+5).
Poison Axe: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 7 (-3). Might 4. Hit 75 (+15). Crit 0. 50 uses (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Hand Axe: Rank D (formerly E). Range 1-2. Weight 11 (-1). Might 7. Hit 60. Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Steel Axe: Rank D (formerly E). Range 1. Weight 11 (-4). Might 10 (-1). Hit 70 (+5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Axe: Rank C (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 12. Might 13 (-2). Hit 65 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+25).
Killer Axe: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 10 (-1). Might 10 (-1). Hit 65. Crit 30. 50 uses (+25).
Halberd: Rank C (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 12 (-3). Might 11 (+1). Hit 65 (+5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+32). Effective against cavalry and armor.

BOWS:

Slim Bow: Rank E (formerly D). Range 2. Weight 3. Might 3 (-2). Hit 100 (+15). Crit 15 (+5). 50 uses.
Iron Bow: Rank E. Range 2. Weight 5. Might 5 (-1). Hit 90 (+5). Crit 0. 50 uses.
Poison Bow: Rank E (formerly D). Range 2. Weight 5. Might 4. Hit 85 (+20). Crit 0. 50 uses (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Steel Bow: Rank D. Range 2. Weight 9. Might 8 (-1). Hit 85 (+15). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Bow: Rank C (formerly A). Range 2. Weight 8 (+2). Might 11 (-2). Hit 75. Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Killer Bow: Rank C. Range 2. Weight 8 (+1). Might 8 (-1). Hit 75. Crit 30. 50 uses (+30).

---
MAGIC:
---

STAVES:

Heal: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 2. 50 uses (+20). Heals 10 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 15 EXP (+4).
Mend: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 4. 25 uses (+5). Heals 20 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 20 EXP (+8).
Torch: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 5. 20 uses (+10). Uses a torch at the chosen square. Use gives 20 EXP (+5).
Unlock: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1-2. Weight 7. 10 uses. Opens doors. Use gives 20 EXP (+3).

Physic: Rank D (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 5. 20 uses (+5). Heals 20 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 25 EXP (+3).
Restore: Rank D (formerly C). Range 1. Weight 4. 25 uses (+15). Cures status condition. Use gives 20 EXP.

Sleep: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 8. 5 uses (+2). Inflicts sleep. Use gives 40 EXP (+5).
Silence: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 7. 5 uses (+2). Inflicts silence. Use gives 35 EXP (+5).
Hammerne: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 7. 1 use (-2). Repairs a weapon or staff to full uses. Use gives 100 EXP (+60).
Barrier: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 1. 25 uses (+10). Increases RES by 7, -1 each turn. Use gives 25 EXP (+8).

ANIMA:

Fire: Rank E. Range 1-2. Weight 4. Might 5. Hit 90. Crit 0. 50 uses (+10).

Thunder: Rank D. Range 1-2. Weight 6. Might 7 (-1). Hit 80. Crit 5. 50 uses (+15).

Wind: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1-2. Weight 5 (+3). Might 8. Hit 75 (-10). 10 Crit (+10). 50 uses (+25). Effective against fliers.

DARK:

Flux: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1-2. Weight 8. Might 9 (+2). Hit 80. Crit 0. 50 uses.

Ruin: Rank D (formerly C). Range 1-2. Weight 10. Might 5 (+5). Hit 60 (+10). Crit 40 (+40). 50 uses (+20).

Eclipse: Rank C (formerly B). Range 3-10. Weight 20 (+8). Might N/A. Hit 55 (+25). Crit 0. 5 uses. Halves target's HP. Uncounterable. Cannot double.

LIGHT:

Lightning: Rank E. Range 1-2. Weight 6. Might 4. Hit 100 (+5). Crit 15 (+10). 50 uses (+15).

Shine: Rank D. Range 1-2. Weight 7 (-1). Might 6. Hit 90. Crit 20 (+12). 50 uses.

Purge: Rank C (formerly B). Range 3-10. Weight 17 (-3). Might 7 (-3). Hit 85 (+10). Crit 20 (+15). 5 uses.

---
ITEMS:
---

USABLE:

Vulnerary: 5 uses (+2), heals 20 HP (+10).
Elixir: 3 uses, fully heals HP.
Antitoxin: 5 uses (+2), cures poison.
Pure Water: 5 uses (+2), increases RES by 7, -1 each turn.

Lockpick: 15 uses, thieves, assassins and rogues only, opens chests and doors.
Chest Key: 1 use, opens a chest.
Door Key: 1 use, opens a door.

Dragon Tear: Adds +10% to every stat growth rate.
Angelic Robe: Raises maximum HP by 5 (-2).

NON-USABLE:

Star Seal: New item. Adds +1 to all stats (well, STR/SKL/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES, anyway). Can be given to any unit.
Hoplon Guard: +1 LCK, +1 DEF, +1 RES. Protects against effectiveness for armor and cavalry units.

Huh, both the Knight Killer and Halberd both have been changed to now affect armored units in addition to cavalry, as opposed to vanilla where they were pure anti-cavalry weapons. That's....weird.

Indeed. Not that they were particularly useful weapons to begin with so I can kind of see why they were merged with their anti-armor counterparts (other than maybe to make room for other stuff) but it still seems like something that was largely done for the sake of it.

I wonder if the real reason isn't something like them being consolidated to make room for other weapons (like a lot of the new class-specific stuff). I don't know how the ROM space is organised, there might be room to add completely new things, but most of these hacks just repurpose other items etc to turn them into the new things.

It is a bit weird, though. They're basically just slightly weaker versions of the lord weapons (the sword version, Cleaver, works the same way too) that anyone can use. I wouldn't say they're amazing but they have their uses.

Explopyro wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 am
I wonder if the real reason isn't something like them being consolidated to make room for other weapons (like a lot of the new class-specific stuff). I don't know how the ROM space is organised, there might be room to add completely new things, but most of these hacks just repurpose other items etc to turn them into the new things.
IIRC there's a lot of free space in the ROM, but it's simpler to overwrite existing weapons (and classes, characters etc. for hacks that change those) than it is to increase the size of the weapons table.

Update XIII - Ancient Mariners Not Included

Alright, let's start the next chapter with some unit management before starting the mission. First of all, let's check out our new member.

Duessel - Great Knight:

STATS:

LV: 5 (-3)
HP: 50 (+9)

STR: 18 (+1)
SKL: 15 (+3)
SPD: 13 (+1)
LCK: 8
DEF: 19 (+2)
RES: 15 (+6)

MOV: 7 (+1)
CON: 15

GROWTHS:

HP: 75% (-10%)

STR: 50% (-5%)
SKL: 40%
SPD: 35% (+5%)
LCK: 20%
DEF: 45%
RES: 35% (+5%)

CAPS:

HP: 60

STR: 27 (-1)
SKL: 24
SPD: 25 (+1)
LCK: 30
DEF: 26 (-3)
RES: 24 (-1)

Sentinel:
- Reduce all types of incoming damage by 1
- Use of the "Rescue" command to rescue allies without the SKL or SPD penalty
- Modifies the AID stat to be CON - 1 instead of the usual formula
- Equipped weapon's Might x2 against Archers, Snipers and Skeleton/Legion Archers

Hoo boy. Duessel is still very good, especially since as of right now, he's our second promoted character next to Seth, and exceptionally solid, losing levels while still gaining stats. The resistance boost in particular is very welcomed - Duessel will be able to chokepoint for us for quite some time, and believe me, being able to chokepoint is going to be very useful for us.

But honestly, I think it's about time to start promoting. We're about to hit the ghost ship, and it doesn't fuck around even in vanilla, so we should respect that.

First of all, Franz gets promoted to Paladin. We've already seen the caps and skill for Paladin with Orson, so nothing new here.

Lute gets promoted to Sage.

CAPS:

MAG: 27 (-3)
SKL: 28
SPD: 29 (+3)
DEF: 20 (-1)

Mystic Rhythm:
- When equipped with Anima: +1 DMG, +5 HIT
- When equipped with Dark: +1 DMG, +5 CRT
- When equipped with Light: +5 HIT, +5 CRT

The main thing I see in Sage is that 29 speed cap. This will be very handy later on, let me tell you. The ability to use all three magic types at B level plus staves at C level is also going to be very useful for a long time.

CAPS:

MAG: 23 (-2)
SKL: 30 (+5)
SPD: 25 (-1)
DEF: 21
RES: 30

Enlightenment:
- Weapon might vs. monsters is tripled.
- +25 CRT
- 5 DMG reduction from magic attacks.

Yes. +25 crit. With light magic already being the Crit Magic. Purge bishops are going to be a force to be reckoned with throughout the chapters, but our bishops can absolutely wreck monsters.

Amelia gets a secret book to fix some of those skill problems.

Vanessa gets an angelic robe to help her not die.

And Artur gets a goddess icon to help with his luck.

Now, let's get going. Let's see what we're dealing with.

Oh. Right. We're going to see exactly dick right now. Oh well, let's get going.

Natasha torching a bit gives us a view of some flying enemies out there.

And Lute helps out as well. I didn't think of it going into this map, but a large part of Lute's and Natasha's utility is going to be trading the torch staff between each other and dealing with the fog. There is a lot of room for enemies to really sneak up on you, so having two units around torching the place is going to be very helpful in preventing that.

OK, let's see what we're dealing with.

Oh my. That is a full ship.

And that looks like a pretty beefy boss. That Fell Contract promotes thieves and pirates, so Ross would've liked that, but honestly, I'm really not liking my chances at keeping Colm alive in this clusterfuck, so I'll just live with it.

Fliers and hand axers manage to take out most of the gargoyles flying around, but some will be able to get some hits in, so we set up a bit defensively to shield the magic users, and we'll just see what happens.

And of course I leave a hole open for Artur to get attacked. At least he had no chance of dying.

Vanessa levels on killing one of the eyes. She's probably ready to promote soon, but I might be limited in my promotion items with Tana and Cormag both doing well too.

And they board. I'm probably just going to plug these gaps with some tanky guys and let them deal with it. EXP comes a plenty in this hack, so no need to think about EXP thieves and such.

And of course, four eyes spawn in behind us, two at the top and two at the bottom.

There we go. Gilliam, Ephraim and Duessel should be more than enough to deal with these guys, and if not, Ross and Cormag are easily available to slot in. The rest deals with the enemies on our ship and hunkers down.

Also, Natasha status: Pretty good against monsters.

On enemy phase, we see what can make these monsters so dangerous: Most (all?) wield poison weapons. Remember: Poison is 5 damage every turn for 5 turns. While that can be dealt with fairly easily with vulneraries or healers, it does slow you down quite a bit. Not to mention that these enemies probably wouldn't have dealt any damage with iron or maybe even steel, so poison is a good play to deal some damage to the tanks you've likely placed on the blatant chokepoints. And if they could break through and tink half your army with poison, you'd probably end up with a lot of required healing from random enemies. All in all, I think the change to poison makes it a fair bit more dangerous and actually makes antitoxins something you might consider yourself happy to have in your convoy.

Ephraim gets a garbage level from the monster grinder. He's probably going to hit level 20 before the Vigarde chapter at this rate.

Some of the skeletons don't move, and the eyes didn't move either - I presume the eyes will move later at a less opportune time. We also get some reinforcements on the ship, and some invisible reinforcements back in the fog.

I also take the opportunity to outfit my chokepointers with javelins, which I really should've done earlier, given the amount of bow users lurking about.

The invisible reinforcements are revealed to be gargoyles and eyes thanks to some more torching. Both up top and below. We just continue to hunker down, showing that I've forgotten something important about this map.

The enemy phase is uneventful, just as expected, a few bony guys smashing up against my chokepoints and dying.

Oh. Right.

For some reason I forgot this was happening. Uh, L'Arachel, you might kinda die. This could get rough.

Oh well, best we can do now is push forward and see if we can get L'Arachel before some reinforcements in a bad spot get her killed, which would be, uh, suboptimal. But let's look at the units first.

Dozla - Berserker:

STATS:

HP: 43

STR: 17 (+1)
SKL: 12 (+1)
SPD: 15 (+6)
LCK: 8 (+4)
DEF: 11
RES: 6

MOV: 7 (+1)
CON: 14 (-2)

GROWTHS:

HP: 75% (-10%)

STR: 55% (+5%)
SKL: 35%
SPD: 55% (+15%)
LCK: 40% (+10%)
DEF: 30%
RES: 25%

CAPS:

STR: 30
SKL: 20 (-9)
SPD: 30 (+2)
DEF: 22 (-1)
RES: 22

Frenzy:

- +5 DMG, +5 HIT, +25 CRT

Great Axe: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 15. Might 17. Hit 55. Crit 5. 50 uses.

So the berserker fits a certain theme a lot more. Garbage skill cap, so inaccurate, but maximum strength, speed and luck cap for maximum attacks with maximum crit. Giving them extra move was not required, but always welcome. Dozla got a lot speedier in particular and should be a pretty heavy hitter right out of the gate, currently not really hurt by his skill cap. Also note the "great" weapon - high might, high weight, low hit. Basically makes the berserker even more extreme.

L'Arachel - Troubadour:

STATS:

LV: 13 (+10)
HP: 28 (+10)

MAG: 9 (+3)
SKL: 10 (+4)
SPD: 14 (+4)
LCK: 15 (+3)
DEF: 7 (+2)
RES: 13 (+5)

MOV: 6

GROWTHS:

HP: 50% (+5%)

MAG: 40% (-10%)
SKL: 50% (+5%)
SPD: 50% (+5%)
LCK: 65%
DEF: 25% (+10%)
RES: 40% (-10%)

Yes, plus TEN levels. So her surviving might actually not be as big an issue, since she's gotten a bit more survivable with those levels, and she's even promotion ready from the start (though I'll definitely give her some more levels, since healers level faster here). L'Arachel will slot in perfectly as primary healer after Natasha's departure from that slot to take over as a combat unit with staff utility. Still, reinforcements might be a bit meaner here and still give L'Arachel some trouble.

Next, I'm torching this area. I fucking know that asshole boss monster comes from here and I want to fucking know when it spawns.

Gilliam gets a terrible level. Man, fucker's going to level cap soon, and I don't think I have a knight crest laying around I can use on him that wouldn't be better suited for a cav... well, a little birdie (namely my past experience) tells me there's a secret shop in Vigarde's chapter that sells promo items, so if I'm short, I can get some there for sure. I had to buy a fair few knight crests there on my first run since I was using all four available cavs that could've needed promo items there.

OK, good dodge, but I don't like those numbers.

And I don't like those additional guys flying in either. At least Dozla can deal with them well. Also, it was at this point I noticed the Boss Box - three archers defending the boss skeleton. At least they're fairly weak so you can take them out from a range and just get attacked back rather than eat an attack from the boss's javelin.

Also, the eyes start moving now. So I guess they were waiting for an ambush opportunity when we start moving towards L'Arachel to save her, breaking defensive formation on the ship. That's actually kind of clever.

Uh, Dozla? You might want to be killing those other guys near L'Arachel?

And of course, amongst other reinforcements, the other boss shows up.

He is pretty nasty. Note the crit - high tier eyeballs, high tier gargoyles and cyclopes get +15 innate crit. So, uh, we kinda need to deal with this guy. And we can't reach him right now except with Tana and Vanessa, who I don't trust to make this work.

The end result I come to is "let Natasha and Lute deal with his entourage, figure they can survive one round of combat, then have Natasha murder him".

We also set up Ross and Seth in a defensive formation to keep him away from our lesser units. This might get bad, but we'll see.

Duessel hustles to help out L'Arachel while Cormag, Ephraim and Gilliam keep cleaning up the center ship.

Ephraim levels up a bit better on enemy phase.

Things get a bit tight for Ross, the eyeballs did more damage than I anticipated, and there was a chance of death with a crit, but oh well, I feel like that would almost always be the case.

Dozla gets to dismantling the Boss Box on his own.

The poison does creep up on you. Some damage from an eyeball and suddenly two turns of poison add up.

Man, look at this shit. I guess we're just risking death.

Well, I hit, he missed, and we get this level. No crit, though.

So Lute has to finish the job. No chance of death here, so we're good.

And she gets this level on the kill. What garbage levels we have here.

I then make a critical mistake with Cormag - he whiffs the first attack here and leaves the eye alive, with no chance of anybody else killing it, and takes a hit too. So that's some juicy chance of death for enemy phase. Oh well. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Artur picks up an alright level cleaning up an eyeball somewhere else while Franz cleans out the last piece of the Boss Box, leaving the boss vulnerable.

Also, let's yoink Dozla. I don't need him attacking the boss. At the least he can wait until I recruit him because I want that EXP.

On enemy phase, the gargoyle attacks L'Arachel and continues to miss while both eyeballs hit and leave Cormag at exactly 1 HP. It's like I'm a regular Dondon.

And then L'Arachel heals on green phase. Never punished.

At this point I decide "fuck this" and just rescuedrop L'Arachel so I can recruit her.

And then she can recruit Dozla. Fun thing: Because Dozla was green when I dropped him he didn't have his move spent, so after recruiting him I can still use him this turn!

Showing Dozla the boss shows pretty well what berserkers are. Low chance to hit but boy if he hits.

But first... Natasha does some chip damage (alas no crit) and gets rescued out.

Dozla gets a hit.

And Garcia gets the kill. He could've died if things had gone horrendously wrong, but eh.

I still want to get him some levels and get him to Hero. I think he could be a solid contributor that way, and it's not like the hero crest has anybody else clamoring for it (shut up, Joshua, you don't count).

And since he was very close to leveling again, I gave him the last eyeball kill for this level.

That's it for this update! Next time, I get to pack out the degenerate strats again, because we're getting Ewan to level 10 right away. See you then!

Adding to this hack's long list of "Why would you change that?", we now can add the promotion item for thieves and pirates being changed from the Ocean Seal (the vanilla item) to the Fell Contract (being ported over from FE7). Again, why does this hack have an insistence on a "I'm changing this so it looks like I'm changing things!" mindset? Stuff like graphical/icon changes are no big deal to me, and making sure units are much more useful on certain maps (why yes, I am perfectly fine with L'Arachel's level boosts) is a good thing. But getting rid of something that didn't need to be fixed like the Ocean Seal just baffles my mind. Not every little thing needs to be changed in order for a romhack to stand out. Sometimes, just using the assets available to you in creative ways is perfectly fine.

...why does L'Arachel have a door key in her inventory now.

AradoBalanga wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 pm
Adding to this hack's long list of "Why would you change that?", we now can add the promotion item for thieves and pirates being changed from the Ocean Seal (the vanilla item) to the Fell Contract (being ported over from FE7). Again, why does this hack have an insistence on a "I'm changing this so it looks like I'm changing things!" mindset? Stuff like graphical/icon changes are no big deal to me, and making sure units are much more useful on certain maps (why yes, I am perfectly fine with L'Arachel's level boosts) is a good thing. But getting rid of something that didn't need to be fixed like the Ocean Seal just baffles my mind. Not every little thing needs to be changed in order for a romhack to stand out. Sometimes, just using the assets available to you in creative ways is perfectly fine.
I honestly think it goes a bit deeper than that, I've noticed a sort of "anchoring fixation" (for lack of a better word) among FE fans, where however a thing was presented in the first game they experienced is the proper way to do it and later games shouldn't have changed it. I'm sure part of it is just nostalgia, but I don't think that fully explains it. The most common culprits, game-wise, seem to be FE4 and FE7 (FE7 at least makes sense, in that as the first localised game it was the entry point for a lot of us). So we have things like hacks to replace all the weapon icons with their FE4 counterparts, or undoing a name change between FE7 and FE8, etc. "They changed it, that sucks, I'm changing it back."

I don't think they're just changing things for the sake of it, but that doesn't mean they're not changing it for a stupid reason.

Update XIV - Copious Grinding Action

Alright, no chance to buy anything new or anything, let's get right into the map.

Quite the drastic change to this map. And like I announced last update, grinding will be happening here. I have plans, because I'm not fucking dealing with a trainee Ewan longer than I absolutely have to.

The wyverns make the early moves a bit annoying. Not a lot of room where we don't get attacked - though the shamans, for instance, don't move, so it's not 100% accurate.

So we set up like this. Let's let the enemies show their hand first.

The biggest situation ends up being this chokepoint. Forde's not exactly the guy to deal with this.

And of course, Caellach bails.

With the monster reinforcements moving in, we get to see this promoted centaur guy move slooooooooowly to his spot. That's probably not intended, but very helpful - this guy is somebody you should pay attention to, because while he does not move, he can fuck your shit up.

Look at this guy. He beefy. Approach carefully.

Also, of course, we get some gargoyles dumped into our backfield.

And while Duessel and Ross can weaken them a fair bit, they're still going to get some shots in.

Lute and Franz get to deal with the mercs up top after Amelia and Artur deal with the wyvern.

Cormag levels after attacking another merc. He's probably getting promoted soon, he'll definitely help out big time.

On enemy phase, Natasha gets in a bit of trouble and could've died if the shamans moved. Thankfully, I know they don't because I left Natasha in their range before.

And she levels on the counter kill too.

Amelia got trapped by one gargoyle, but he was weak, so he got killed on player phase for a level.

Combined efforts clean up the group up top.

Lute dodges death after the first of those two fighters hits on like a 35. Thankfully, the wyvern can't kill, because he did hit.

Tana levels baiting one of the cavs in the south to prep for recruiting Ewan.

We also get some knight reinforcements.

Cormag then recruits Ewan.

Ewan - Pupil:

STATS:

HP: 15

MAG: 4 (+1)
SKL: 3 (+1)
SPD: 6 (+1)
LCK: 7 (+2)
DEF: 2 (+2)
RES: 5 (+2)

MOV: 4

GROWTHS:

HP: 55% (+5%)

MAG: 45%
SPD: 50% (+5%)
LCK: 50%
DEF: 25% (+10%)
RES: 35% (-5%)

Those are some spicy growths. I forgot that Ewan had such overall great growths, and that boost in defense growth is very welcome. And I suppose the boost in his bases is very necessary, since everything out there is stronger than in vanilla. Once we get him trained up, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

So we set up in a sort of defensive formation to let Ewan get some chip EXP. He gets like 45 EXP from a simple chip right now, so that's pretty good.

Up top, we start getting ready to move in and take on this sub boss.

Ewan gets some training from the cavs, and the knights now moving in will probably also provide some decent fodder.

And back up top, some units aren't exactly prime material for dealing with this centaur.

Some are a bit better. In fact, Lute crits twice and takes him down to 11 HP.

Franz gets one hit in, but now faces chance of death if we don't kill...

Thankfully, Artur is up to the task.

L'Arachel heals Franz up next turn and gets this level.

So, basically, what I'm planning is to take those two knights and two shamans to grind some units up, namely Amelia, Ewan and L'Arachel. These guys don't move, so we can plink at them for a while and get some levels.

But first I'll let Ewan plink at these knights down here. He can get some good EXP from here and Ephraim and Gilliam can easily hold the line.

Huh, that's a bit annoying. Guess I'll send some axe guys back to deal with that.

Ewan gets a full 100 EXP from a kill. It's nice. The level isn't.

And Amelia gets to work training. I can do this for a while. L'Arachel gets a heal staff so she can heal without wasting the mend staff when not necessary.

Uh. I didn't expect you to move. This... complicated matters. Dodge the knight please?

Nope. God damnit.

At least I get some intel on reinforcements. I'll just leave some guys on the ship next time to deal with this right off the bat because I don't want these guys getting to my main group and getting in range of attacking my healers and mages.

Resets: 4

Next time around, I have to set up a barrier with Natasha because Gilliam is slow. This leads to her murdering multiple knights. Not exactly what I had planned, but whatever, Ewan gets EXP out the ass, he can probably grind up to 10 on a single shaman or something. I'm not worried about him.

This time around, we're prepared for the fliers.

Garcia gets a level in dealing with the fliers.

And Ross levels as well. He's absolutely capping strength, skill and speed before promoting, and good lord, that luck.

All the while, I've been whittling down the centaur again, setting up an Amelia kill. So of course I'm going to go for that.

She gets it.

And the Ewan training begins anew.

This time around, Franz gets to deal with the annoying fighter standing between me and grinding.

More reinforcements. There will be two waves of three cavs. So grinding will have to wait until that's dealt with, because those guys could fuck Amelia up something fierce.

Ewan starts grinding on the archer. Not great level ups in total, but he's got enough left.

Gilliam will level cap soon. Not sure when I'll have a crest around for him.

Another level for Ewan. This update will probably be like 50% level ups.

And here we go. This is Amelia training and L'Arachel training in one, with Ewan training on the side. Strap in.

And there we go. That's the grinding group cleared out and a bunch of levels acquired. Not necessarily fun, not necessarily how it was intended to be done, but hey, this hack doesn't hold back, so I might as well use some things I have available to me.

Now we get to set up to lure in Marisa.

Once again, an unequipped Gilliam is more than up to the task.

And there we go, Marisa acquired.

Marisa - Myrmidon:

STATS:

LV: 13 (+8)
HP: 27 (+4)

STR: 10 (+3)
SKL: 15 (+3)
SPD: 16 (+3)
LCK: 14 (+5)
DEF: 6 (+2)
RES: 6 (+3)

MOV: 5
CON: 8 (+3)

GROWTHS:

HP: 55% (-15%)

STR: 30%
SKL: 60% (+5%)
SPD: 60%
LCK: 55% (+5%)
DEF: 20% (+5%)
RES: 35% (+10%)

That's a lot more usable than what you'd usually get with Marisa in vanilla. Since I haven't exactly been using Joshua, I suppose if I am going to use a myrmidon, it'll be Marisa. Not sure if either has a long-term future before the postgame, though - I just don't seem to like pure sword users.

Artur gets the energy ring Ewan came with, since his magic has been a bit lacking. And now, it's time to try and deal with the boss.

In setting up, L'Arachel gets another level. She's proably going to promote ASAP.

The monsters behind the boss do not move, so we get to maneuver around them to pick them off from the side so we don't risk an attack from the boss, because he can fuck shit up.

Amelia picks up another level sniping the skeleton.

As does Vanessa. Now, let's see how our prime monster killer, Natasha, fares against this cyclops.

This is very yabai. Very yabai indeed. That innate crit that some high tier monsters have showing its face again. So we need somebody bulky. Either I could drag Duessel over here (I forgot to move him and he's still on the boat with Garcia and Ross), or I guess Dozla could do it. Let's see.

Well... he survives a crit, and the boss can't heal. Guess that's all we need!

First round, miss from the boss, hit from Dozla.

Second round, hit from the boss, hit from Dozla.

Third round, miss from the boss, crit from Dozla. What even are hit chances?

And a very berserker level to cap things off.

Next time, we get to deal with Selena and a level that has a few tricks up its sleeve. See you then!

Update XV - The Fuck Zone

Alright, before we get to this next map, there's some organizing to be done. Mainly in the promotion department.

First, Vanessa promotes to Falcoknight.

CAPS:

STR: 24 (+1)
SKL: 30 (+5)
SPD: 27
DEF: 20 (-4)
RES: 30 (+4)

Coup De Grace:

- +20 CRT, +5 AVD.

So Falcoknights seem pretty tailored towards accurate strikes with good crit potential, and tanking magic. Fine by me.

Then, Cormag gets promoted to Wyvern Lord.

CAPS:

STR: 28 (+1)
SKL: 27 (+2)
SPD: 23
DEF: 28
RES: 22

Wyvern lords lose one point in MOV, going down to 7, but gain full access to the weapon triangle, gaining both swords and axes.

Nest Master:

- No weakness towards arrows and wind spells.
- Get terrain bonuses despite being a flying unit.

Cormag is basically a flying general now. Full weapon triangle, ability to take advantage of terrain bonuses for more tanking, huge strength and defense, turd resistance. Just keep him away from magic users and he'll be great.

And since I have two hero crests laying around, might as well promote Garcia to Hero.

CAPS:

STR: 26 (+1)
SKL: 28 (-2)
SPD: 26
DEF: 25
RES: 25 (+3)

Lionheart:

- Outdoors: +2 DEF, Indoors: +2 RES.
- Equipped weapon might +150% vs. dragon type enemies.
- Equipped weapon might +50% vs. monster type enemies.

The way I'm looking at this, Garcia might be just a total nuke vs. dragons and monsters if we give him a legendary weapon. Sounds like a good thing to have in reserve.

Now, on to the chapter.

But first we need to promote Ewan.

I'm going with Mage, because I'm either going Sage or Mage Knight with him. Sage is just a super useful allrounder, and Mage Knight has some quirks I'm interested in maybe trying out. Now, on to the map.

Big changes here. You'll see what I mean by The Fuck Zone pretty soon. Let's get going.

So first of all, we get Gerik and Tethys.

Gerik - Mercenary:

STATS:

LV: 14 (+4)
HP: 38 (+6)

STR: 16 (+2)
SKL: 15 (+2)
SPD: 14 (+1)
LCK: 9 (+1)
DEF: 13 (+3)
RES: 5 (+1)

CON: 10 (-3)

GROWTHS:

HP: 70% (-20%)

STR: 45%
SKL: 50% (+10%)
SPD: 35% (+5%)
LCK: 30%
DEF: 35%

Nothing much changed with Gerik, just a few additional levels, in staying with what has been happening with all the other characters to keep them from having to be babied up. Not really that Gerik had that problem to start with, but I guess since we've already got many promoted units going around and the enemies are also beefier than in vanilla, he could use the boost.

And I'm not fucking around with Gerik at all. He's getting promoted right away, since he still comes with a promotion item. And since we already have a hero in Garcia, let's give the ranger a shot.

CAPS:

STR: 23 (-2)
SKL: 26 (-2)
SPD: 30
DEF: 22 (-2)
RES: 26 (+3)

Ambush:

- Always attack first, even in enemy phase.
- +2 DMG when using bows.

Rangers also gain 1 move, from 7 to 8. Should be pretty fun to use. I can see some goofy stuff happening with always attacking first.

Now, Tethys. She's been through some changes.

Tethys - Oracle (formerly Dancer):

STATS:

HP: 30 (+12)

MAG: 14 (+13)
SKL: 17 (+15)
SPD: 16 (+4)
LCK: 10
DEF: 7 (+2)
RES: 12 (+8)

MOV: 6 (+1)
CON: 7 (+2)

GROWTHS:

HP: 60% (-25%)

MAG: 40% (+35%)
SKL: 55% (+45%)
SPD: 45% (-25%)
LCK: 60% (-20%)
RES: 40% (-35%)

CAPS:

MAG: 22 (+12)
SKL: 30 (+20)
SPD: 27 (-3)
RES: 24 (-2)

Divinity:

- Access to buff abilities.

Tethys also gained 1 move, from 5 to 6.

So, Tethys. She joins Seth in the "complete rework, including a new class" bucket. As you might have guessed from the massive stat boosts, Oracle is a promoted class, and Tethys now has access to anima magic as well as staves. She however has lost her dancing ability - for now. More on that in the postgame. Instead, she picks up the ability to use buffing staves, which are basically Ninian's different dances from FE7, just in staff form. For instance...

Mirage: Rank A. Range 1. Weight 1. 25 uses. Increases avoid by 10%, lasts 2 turns. Use gives 25 EXP.

Something that could really come in handy for boss fighting. We'll run into the other staffs eventually.

Tethys picks up another dragon tear from the village. Not sure where I want this one to go, we'll see.

We set up a sort of defensive line to take on the early wvyerns, since those can really be a big problem.

Tethys gets attacked on enemy phase and easily dispatches with the enemy. Also, you'll note the 66 EXP she got from killing an unpromoted enemy. It seems that Oracles (and Valkyries) level like they're unpromoted or something. This is probably a bug. I don't care. I'll take advantage of that shit.

And after killing a wyvern, she already levels.

Some of these wyverns are carrying poison weapons. Not really fun. All that defense doesn't help against poison.

Gilliam carefully steps into The Fuck Zone.

And in the next enemy phase, we get a ton of reinforcements, including some cavs from the north. All the reinforcements in The Fuck Zone have poison weapons, and had I actually moved in with most of my units, that poison could be spreading pretty quickly and being a big pain in the ass.

But I'm not going to be dealing with that.

Meanwhile, Dozla knocks down a snag and makes a bridge so Gerik and Tethys can join up with the main crew.

Cormag gets to set up and deal with all the poison weapons. I've got time.

And of course we get a second wave of the same reinforcements. This is why I called this The Fuck Zone. It gets very crowded, very fast.

Duessel gets a pretty solid level throwing a javelin at a fighter.

Also, there's a physic guy here, being annoying.

Ewan levels fighting the cav reinforcements.

As does Tana.

And L'Arachel levels by healing in the aftermath.

And Ephraim levels up chucking javelins into The Fuck Zone.

Also, while you'd be struggling in The Fuck Zone, the hack handily spawns a wyvern right in range of probably half your army. Thankfully Dozla can deal with the problem and then Vanessa can block the fort next turn.

Next enemy turn, reinforcements from the factory start slowly making their way up. A merc, a knight and a fighter will be coming for a few turns, then the reinforcements will be two mages and a shaman for a few turns.

Natasha gets a level healing everybody up.

Cormag gets a level after cleaving through half of the reinforcements in The Fuck Zone.

And just as we start cleaning up all the stuff in The Fuck Zone and the reinforcements from the factory get closer, we get some wyverns spawning in to add to the fun.

But at least this mess is by and large cleaned up now, so soon we'll be chokepointing a little bit further. Yay!

Gerik gets some bows from storage, and looks like he's going to be pretty good at sniping unpromoted guys at least.

We're now at wave four of these guys.

Franz levels up while throwing a javelin at the physic guy while sadly not killing him.

Also, on enemy phase that guy shows he has a sleep staff too.

The wyverns come in and show me that, uh, they're pretty strong. Looks like Cormag will deal with these mostly.

I misremembered: The magic reinforcements of two mages and a shaman don't come from the three forts. But still, they're going to be coming for a while. And of course there's another set of two wyverns spawning in.

Yeah, these odds aren't great, and I'm saving up for something special, so I'm kinda low on good weapons. So yeah, Cormag will be our main force against those wyverns.

He matches up a bit better, don't you think?

And now it's time for Duessel to choke the fuck out of this point.

Ewan gets to stand behind him and snipe - all these guys only have steel weapons, so he's safe for sure.

Shoutouts to Cormag getting terrain bonuses.

Ewan really appreciates that Duessel doesn't double the mercs and leaves them in killing range.

Of course, we'll also take some help from other friends in getting this big blob of units thinned out.

I set up Cormag in range of the blob after sniping a wyvern that could've caused some trouble, so he's probably going to kill half of them on enemy phase now.

In the end, he just gets two enemies, which gives him a level.

Ewan gets another kill. He's developing quite well.

Also, a wyvern decides to have a stab at Gerik, which turns out to be his last mistake.

The magic horde starts arriving just as we start having cleared out the physical one. At least they only had three waves instead of four.

Another Ewan snipe level.

Duessel is basically the real Seth of this hack. Can deal with pretty much everything you throw at him and stays good. Meanwhile, I've basically stopped bringing the actual Seth along because he's just stopped being useful. Seriously, look back at Seth's stats. He'd be trash now, those wyverns would shred him. And he's level 10 promoted. He'd have to kill so many guys to get a level. The level would be great thanks to his ridiculous growths, sure, but he'd need like five to get back up to par for this point of the game. It's just not worth it. Pretty sure I did the exact same thing in my first playthrough - didn't use Seth in the early game, he fell off hard and just lounged on the bench forever.

The fliers move out to maybe get some stuff done early before the rest of the crew can move out.

Cormag grabs a guiding ring from the village. That is going to L'Arachel for sure.

Also, visiting that village opens the flood gates. Literally. I think that Selena starts out on a fort, but doing this takes away that terrain and replaces it with neutral terrain. So that's very helpful. So this is also a thing this hack does at times - fairly drastic changes to terrain in the middle of the map.

Oh. Wait. He's in bolting range now.

Yikes. That was some spicy chance of death.

Another Ewan level.

I've also been spamming mend uses to give L'Arachel another level before promotion.

For the last few magic enemies, I let Ewan take point, since he's got great stats and two star seals, so he pretty much outclasses them entirely.

Also, L'Arachel gets her promotion.

CAPS:

STR: 22 (-3)
SKL: 26 (+2)
SPD: 30 (+5)
RES: 28

Providence:

- +15 HP healing with staves.
- +5 AVD.

L'Arachel is going to be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to healing - a flat +15 HP healing boost means a basic heal staff is going to heal a ton. And that 30 speed cap is going to mean she can dodge tank just fine. Also, remember that she, much like Tethys, gets a ton more EXP from kills, so she's a candidate to hit level 20 promoted before any of our units that started unpromoted hit level 10 promoted.

Actually, speaking of promoted units, since we're getting kind of close and she's got that bolting, let's look at Selena.

Arcthunder: Rank B. Range 3-10. Weight 12 (-8). Might 10 (-2). Hit 65 (+5). Crit 10 (+10). 5 uses. Uncounterable.

+21 HP, +3 MAG, +1 SKL, -2 SPD, +5 LCK, +5 DEF, +3 CON compared to her hard mode vanilla counterpart. Get ready for every boss from here on out to have nutso HP boosts. Boss fights are not going to be quick and easy affairs. That'll be interesting to deal with. And that little crit boost to bolting could be very annoying in parts.

L'Arachel gets 72 EXP from killing a mage.

Franz levels as we start moving out.

L'Arachel gets her second kill and first level.

Duessel sets up in range to eat the bolting charges.

And he's more than capable of doing so.

Once bolting runs out, it's time to start mopping up the remaining forces.

Gerik gets a fantastic level.

I'm not sure how long Forde will hold on with Amelia ready to rise up the ranks.

And as I start moving in the fliers, shoutouts to this ranger.

This fucking guy is just straight up boss tier.

I check and see if he moves. He does. He's going to be a big pain in the ass.

Lute levels as we start cleaning up the units surrounding Selena.

What really doesn't help with taking out the ranger is that I also need to snipe this troubadour with a physic that will just heal him back up.

And then I fuck up and let the ranger hit Lute. Thank god he doesn't double, or we would have a real problem.

And honestly, if Cormag doesn't hit this 51, we probably still would've had a real problem, though Franz might've been able to save it?

Cormag becomes more tank.

And now Lute can snipe the troubadour.

Interesting change: The convo between Selena and Duessel plays when Duessel gets close, not in combat.

Combat begins with L'Arachel, who can freely chip at Selena with no chance of dying.

Duessel can also fight without having a chance of dying, so let's get him involved as well.

Franz also survives a crit, but I can't let him attack on player phase. Good thing I didn't, since Selena crits him on enemy phase.

She also gets a crit on Duessel. Man, good thing I'm playing this safe.

Good thing I'm playing this safe, I say.

Thankfully it pays off and I don't have to reset right at the end of the fucking chapter.

You can level more than one stat, Gerik.

And that's it! Over 100 images this time. Hope that won't become a general thing now. Next time, we get to deal with Vigarde and get some nice stuff.

Valkyries getting boosted EXP from kills is a vanilla thing but I'm not sure why that's applying to Oracle. But low level promoted pc vs high level unpromoted enemy is where the exp for killing part of the exp formula gets kind of drunk and I can't say I'm versed enough in the technical aspects to know why Tethys is gaining *that* much.

I'm...mixed on Tethys' changes. On the one hand, I am all for giving her some offensive options. But, I'm coming from Fire Emblem Heroes, which opted to make her a dagger unit. So seeing her basically become a what amounts to a dismounted Mage Knight wearing a fancy hat is a weird choice. As for the EXP funkiness, I imagine that with all of the hex editing to make the hack's changes work smoothly, the hex address for handling Oracle and Valkyrie's EXP either got borked by the changes directly, or got borked by all of the changes coming together (i.e., once everything got compiled, that particular address got messed up as a side effect).

That said, I've never done Gerik as a Ranger, so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

EDIT: My update's dead. Bear with me.

Update XVI - Purge Panic

Alright, we'll start out with some preps. I decide that Marisa is going to be my next dedicated training unit, so I give her the dragon tear and star seals, since Ewan is good enough he doesn't need them any more.

We also do some shopping, I'm running out of light tomes, anima tomes, and some other stuff. I'm kinda careful with money because I still need it for something this chapter. I'm also selling some stuff, including that Orion's bolt I've been having lay around for a while. I'm not promoting Neimi before the postgame.

Now, let's get going.

No changes to the map here, just more and stronger units. Also, the units on the map aren't what I'm bringing, I had to take these screenshots after the fact from an older save because I forgot like a dumb dumb.

The first group is relatively easily dealt with by our units right off the bat.

And L'Arachel levels while the other group does the same. One guy left on each side, but meh, we can take it.

The enemies from the second group coming down also don't fare much better.

L'Arachel levels after killing on enemy phase. This is going to be a thing for a while.

See? L'Arachel levels after killing on player phase.

Ewan gets a level too. I'm probably promoting him ASAP, he's already super good.

We see the two sides meet as I forgot to give Lute a staff to heal with and we could kinda use it.

We're moving up pretty quick. We're probably going to attack the gatekeepers on the third turn. Of course, there will be something that slows us down in a bit (it's Purge).

Tethys also levels in the process.

We do get some archer reinforcements on both sides, but eh, we can deal with those.

Dozla levels in the dealing.

And Natasha does as well.

Cormag hits 4 crit to take out the hero and levels. He just has all the strength and defense. Just don't let him anywhere in a mile radius of magic users.

And L'Arachel flattens the warrior on enemy phase.

Tethys picks up another level from an archer.

Status staves!

We spend a turn setting up to bust through the door, since we have like five enemies we want to kill right behind them.

Some more reinforcements - knights left, mercs right, but not a real issue.

Vanessa gets chosen to deal with the mercs and levels.

Ewan gets promotion ready from killing one of the knights after we open the door on the right.

And Gilliam level caps.

The right side ends with everything but one knight dead.

Amelia kills the valkyrie on the left side and levels.

On the other side, we get all of the enemies.

And now, the Purge assholes come in. So, here's the thing: Basically, we just need to have everybody with around 15 resistance or higher hang out in the zone. Everybody without just can't participate. But then, the Purge assholes are completely neutralized, because they just can't deal damage. And the thing is, we have more than enough units with that much resistance to still make this fairly workable.

Rennac makes his entrance, so L'Arachel is going there right away.

Tethys gets another level.

Duessel starts working over the general.

Franz levels up taking out a shaman.

Rennac will steal this chest, so we can pick him up soon since he has to go past L'Arachel at some point to get to the next.

Marisa takes over merc reinforcement duties and levels.

Some more reinforcements - cav and wyvern from both sides.

Ewan gets the general kill.

We set up for the next door opening.

More wyvern/cav reinforcements...

...and mage/shaman reinforcements from both sides too.

L'Arachel picks up Rennac. Let's take a look at him!

Rennac - Rogue:

STATS:

HP: 35 (+7)

STR: 12 (+2)
SKL: 16
SPD: 22 (+5)
LCK: 10 (+5)
DEF: 9
RES: 14 (+3)

MOV: 8 (+2)
CON: 7

GROWTHS:

HP: 65%

STR: 45% (+20%)
SKL: 45%
SPD: 55% (-5%)
LCK: 25%
DEF: 35% (+10%)
RES: 25% (-5%)

CAPS:

STR: 20
SKL: 26 (-4)
DEF: 22 (+2)
RES: 22 (+2)

Deftness:

- Open doors and chests without keys
- Steal items
- +5 AVD

Rennac got some big upgrades. Two more move, pretty big stat boosts, and a big boost to strength growth. Rennac can actually be a combat-effective unit, mainly because of his boosts to speed and luck making him very dodgy.

And, of course, he's got a lot of swag with him. He holds a fell contract, which for some reason replaces the ocean seal. It does the same thing, promotes pirates and thieves. Not sure why this change was made, but whatever, we can promote Ross now. That'll be happening this map. We also have a handy stat booster - speed is always good - and the member card! This will come in handy soon.

Ross deals with some of the reinforcements down at the bottom and levels up.

While we're just letting those monks plink off our units, I should mention that these two monks have two Purge tomes each, so that's twenty uses of Purge between the two of them. Of course, we have enough units with resistance to largely make this just a minor annoyance, but I guess it could really fuck with some people.

L'Arachel gets more levels fighting the magic reinforcements.

Duessel becomes an even better tank.

And with that, we've largely got the throne room cleared out.

Lute levels clearing out the magic reinforcements on the other side.

Surprise! Reinforcements! Of course it wouldn't be that easy.

So let's pull back a bit.

Another L'Arachel level!

By this point, Rennac had reached Ross and we could get the promotion. Note that Ross basically already has capped skill. Just for comparison:

Dozla is basically outclassed in every way.

And given the growths, that probably won't change.

Tethys levels as we learn that the reinforcement units only move if they have someobdy in range.

L'Arachel levels again, fully clearing out the magic reinforcements on the right side with the last use of her Shine tome.

Surprise! Some Purge assholes (which also have Shine) start spawning when you open the door to the center chest room.

Rennac starts pilfering the chests. A rescue staff will be pretty handy.

Natasha levels fighting the knights in the throne room.

As does Tethys.

At least we get to clear out the Purge guys in the throne room, even if we now have new ones to deal with.

It seems like the enemies prefer using their equipped weapon if they can attack with both what they have and the other weapon in their inventory without being countered? At least it seems like these guys don't want to switch to Purge. Fine by me!

Blah, more reinforcements.

Garcia levels as we take them out.

Rennac picks up some more money. Now that we've basically taken out all the units on the map, let's give Vigarde a look.

+6 HP, +5 SKL, +4 SPD, -10 LCK, -1 DEF, + 3 RES compared to vanilla hard mode. He also doesn't have a hoplon guard, so we could just effective him to death.

Since Duessel is a tank, we let him try to contribute chip damage for now.

L'Arachel is going to like this Physic.

It does seem, however, that Ross will be a much better choice to deal with Vigarde.

With some critting, Ross drops Vigarde down to 9 HP, then some chipping from Natasha and Ewan takes him out completely. I missed the opportunity to steal from him, but I guess that's just a theme now.

And finally, Tana opens the last chest to grab an angelic robe. I'll figure out who that goes on eventually, but there's one more thing we need to do.

The secret shop! And what will we find in here? Well, amongst other things, it's what I've been looking for:

Promotion items! We buy three knight crests, an elysian crest and a guiding ring, running us completely out of money. Well, not completely, we still have gems, but still.

And that'll be it for this chapter!

Gleipnir: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 13 (-7). Might 20 (-3). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +10 MAG. +5 SKL. Effective against monsters.

Jesus. Massive stat boosts, 100 hit, 20 crit, less weight... this shit wrecks. And everybody with dark magic rank can use it. Say hello to your new boss killers.

Garm: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 13. Might 20. Hit 100 (+25). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +5 SPD. +10 DEF. Effective against monsters.

Hoo fuckin' boy. Now that is a fucking axe. That'll wreck most of everything. Only 30 uses again though - the legendary weapons are open to everyone, but limited use. Still, I'll make good use of them for bosses. Bosses can go fuck themselves.

And that's it for this update. Next time, we hit the desert and I probably get pretty angry at something. I don't know, I haven't played that part as of writing this.

For all the changes this hack has done, seeing a more relaxed "mostly the same as vanilla, but with the numbers changed" approach feels kind of refreshing, in all honesty.

Then again, up next is the desert chapter, so I know the bullshit is about fly in off the top rope at warp speed.

Well that's one way to make Gleipnir actually useful. I can't really say I care for giving the legendaries more stat boosts, but at least dropping them to E means everyone gets to play.

Can't wait to find out what horrendous crimes against map design this hack committed with the desert map.

Update XVII - Death In The Dunes

Alright, we're back in the preps menu because we bought a lot of promotion items last time, and now we're going to use them. Plus, we got a new unit!

Knoll - Shaman:

STATS:

LV: 16 (+6)
HP: 32 (+10)

MAG: 16 (+3)
SKL: 14 (+5)
SPD: 12 (+4)
LCK: 5 (+5)
DEF: 8 (+6)
RES: 14 (+4)

CON: 8 (+1)

GROWTHS:

HP: 65% (-5%)

MAG: 60% (+10%)
SPD: 35%
LCK: 20%
DEF: 35% (+25%)
RES: 45%

OK, that's a big boost in defense growth, and now he's even more promotion ready than before. I still think I want to give him a level or two, let's see how it goes. And hey, he's got luck now. Not a lot of it, but it counts.

Amelia gets one of the knight crests. I've had good results with Paladin Ame in my first run, so I'll go with it again. She goes fast.

Ewan gets a promotion to Mage Knight, since I wanted to try that class out.

CAPS:

MAG: 24
SKL: 25 (-1)
SPD: 25
DEF: 24
RES: 25 (-1)

Mage Knight gets A anima and B staves.

Vanguard:

- Terrain avoid bonuses increased by 50%
- Gain 3 damage reduction when wielding a light brand or soul brand
- Gain 5 damage reduction when wielding a peacemaker
- Immune to Paladin's Crusade ability

Dunno how well this will go, but let's find out.

Since Gilliam level capped, I should probably promote him.

CAPS:

STR: 30 (+1)
SKL: 28 (+1)
SPD: 22 (-2)
DEF: 30
RES: 20 (-5)

Generals get swords, axes and lances at B.

Fortress:

- Level% chance to block all damage (does not work against Lethality)
- Terrain defense bonus x2
- Forest, Fort and Pillar tiles don't cost extra move

So basically, Generals can still not move very fast, but they can just blast through some heavy terrain where others would be slowed down. Also, yeesh, 20 RES cap? 22 SPD cap? That's probably not going to bode well for him. Not sure if Gilliam has any future in the postgame. Or even the lategame for that matter. He was an earlygame savior at times, but I think those times might be at an end soon.

We also hand out some stat boosters.

Now, let's get to the actual chapter.

The map has gotten bigger and gained some enemies as well, of course. Still, I'm not expecting this to cause too much trouble.

The southern crew moves partially north (guys that do desert well) and partially east (guys that don't do desert so well and Cormag).

The northern crew has some people we should look at.

Innes - Sniper:

STATS:

HP: 38 (+7)

STR: 15 (+1)
SKL: 16 (+3)
SPD: 15
LCK: 14
DEF: 12 (+2)
RES: 11 (+2)

CON: 9

GROWTHS:

HP: 65% (-10%)

STR: 50% (+10%)
SPD: 45%
LCK: 50% (+5%)
DEF: 35% (+15%)

CAPS:

STR: 27 (+2)
SKL: 30
SPD: 25 (-3)
DEF: 24 (-1)
RES: 23

Snipers get S bows.

Ballistics:

- Level% chance of a guaranteed hit
- +15 hit, +10 crit

So the whole thing with the Sniper is that they're very accurate, which can be helpful in this, as hit rates are sometimes quite garbage. Still, they're an archer and therefore have the archer problems.

Innes seems to have gained some minor buffs overall, but I'm not sure he won't land on the bench soon. At least Gerik has a horse. And the ability to use swords. And Vantage.

Saleh - Sage:

STATS:

HP: 35 (+5)

MAG: 17 (+1)
SKL: 18
SPD: 18 (+4)
LCK: 11
DEF: 10 (+2)
RES: 13

CON: 8

GROWTHS:

HP: 60% (+10%)

MAG: 35% (+5%)
SKL: 40% (+15%)
SPD: 50% (+10%)
LCK: 40%
RES: 35%

Nice growth rate buffs, I suppose. He's a real speedy boy now. Saleh should be a contributor for the rest of the regular story at least. Not sure what the postgame will bring.

Seems like there's no automatic levels for Eirika route characters coming into Ephraim route now. Oh well, they're still plenty helpful right now.

Saleh starts off in style, double critting this bishop carrying Purge.

Tethys can't take out the Bolting sage, but I think the AI prefers to use short range over long range, so he should counterattack on enemy phase.

Things get crowded around Eirika pretty quick.

Tethys picks up a level killing a wyvern.

OK, never mind on that "AI prefers short range" thing. 5% death chance, not great, not terrible. The sage should be gone after this next turn, anyway.

Marisa takes out a knight she was fighting that had 0 hit on her and gets this myrmidon level. If this is all you're going to do, I might as well just promote you now, really.

Gerik snipes a wyvern and picks up a level.

To note while I'm cleaning this area up: Basically every enemy is now carrying silver exclusively.

Hey, Eirika gets to get involved too!

Actually, I just noticed, she got autoleveled to 15. Those levels were: +0 HP, +1 STR, +1 SKL, +3 SPD, +2 LCK, +0 DEF and +1 RES. Kinda garbage, honestly. At least she got strength once?

Tana gets this wonderful level after she and Vanessa help out the main southern group a bit (since they don't need to rush up and take out the siege tome guys anymore).

Cleanup down south continues apace.

Reinforcements are fairly numerous. Two wyverns and a cav at the top, three wyverns, a knight and two cavs at the bottom. These reinforcements repeat for a few turns.

Cormag levels fighting the southern reinforcements.

Rennac gets to start bopping around the desert looking for loot. I could've gotten the list of the locations, but I couldn't be fucked.

Ross picks up a garbage level as we get ready to start luring out Valter's wyvern crew.

Cormag, Garcia and Ross are going to be doing a whole lot of wyvern fighting for a few turns.

Rennac finds the first bit of treasure.

Strength, speed and defense. What more could you ask for?

Garcia levels fighting the lower wyverns.

Still quite a lot of wyverns floating around here, but I guess that'll happen when nine of them spawn in over three turns.

Saleh picks up the village...

...and for some reason, that releases a river. I'm not sure what this does. I guess it gives you an easy route through the desert?

Ewan levels fighting the reinforcements up top. He's already better than Saleh.

Most of the crew moves up now, since Ross, Garcia and Cormag should have that area well in hand. Lute stays behind for now, maybe we need emergency healing.

Ross commences the slaughtering.

Next player phase, L'Arachel levels by healing. Fun healing fact: Right now, L'Arachel with a heal staff heals 5 more HP than Tethys with a mend staff. That Valkyrie healing bonus sure is something.

Ross picks up another level cleaning up more wyverns. I guess more RES is always nice.

The reinforcements switch to three wyverns in the northwest, and three cavs in the southeast. Thankfully, all the cavs have lances, so Ross will just tear them apart.

Rennac picks up the next treasure. No idea where this will go - I'll probably save it for the postgame and use it to boost a fresh unit I haven't trained yet like Neimi or something.

Now, since we're getting close, let's look at Valter. +22 HP, +2 STR, +3 SKL, +4 SPD, +12 LCK, +1 DEF and +3 RES compared to his hard mode counterpart, but he's only carrying a javelin.

Ross kinda just fucks him up, so he'll be doing that for a few turns. I could steal the fili shield from him, but I just can't be arsed.

And Cormag snipes the troubadour so that one won't cause any extra trouble.

Since Ross is busy, Cormag and Garcia get to deal with the cavs.

Ross levels up again fighting Valter. He sure has been busy this chapter.

And then this fort right here spawns a reinforcement wyvern, which is kinda rude. I guess as long as it's not an ambush reinforcement it's fine. Innes can just snipe this guy.

I want to take a stab at killing Valter without having him use his elixir, and Garcia seems like he has a shot.

He gets it.

Cormag moves up to fight the three units near the lower destroyed village and levels.

You know, Saleh, I was talking you up earlier, and this is how you repay me?

I get Amelia into a sticky situation where she faced chance of death, but a quick bit of trading a physic staff around solves that quick.

However, that fear was unfounded, since Amelia couldn't have died even if the warrior hit, and he missed and got murdered in return. Good start for the first promoted level, too.

Oh hey, look, the turn 8 reinforcement crew showed up. They're going to be creeping their way up slowly but surely and are going to be a pain in my ass for a while. Thankfully, Rennac has a bunch of move so he could run away from mounted units, but I elect to instead have him run up to where Tana is and just get rescued. I also rescued Cormag, since there's basically nothing left for him to deal with down there, and that gets him to healing faster.

By this point, we've basically cleared out everything except that reinforcement group down there and Caellach.

And then next enemy phase brings some more reinforcements, of course. Now, since we're getting close to dealing with Caellach, let's look at him.

+20 HP, +2 STR, +7 SKL, +5 SPD, -1 LCK, -1 DEF, -1 RES, and he went from a tomahawk to a hand axe. Not sure why this hack is buffing bosses and downgrading their equipment. Then again, I don't think the vanilla bosses got elixirs, so maybe it's a weird balancing act.

We start doing some chip damage, but since Caellach is on a fort, that's just getting healed back up again, so not an optimal plan here. Killing him will probably have to involve Garm in some capacity.

More of these guys.

Cormag swoops in and prevents the big squad from being a major problem. Since he doesn't take effective damage from the rangers, he should be fine.

Oooh, nice! L'Arachel will fucking love this.

A wyvern getting tinked by a ranger. Ain't it grand?

Oh hey, apparently the ruined villages are treasure locations. Neat!

Garcia fights the remaining reinforcement knights and picks up a very nice level.

Duessel gets to fight Caellach on enemy phase with Garm, and while both miss, I like those odds.

One very annoying thing: Cormag barely doesn't kill the commander, and he has an elixir as well. So he's going to be annoying by healing himself.

Tethys gets a solid level from healing.

Oooh, nice!

Icarus Bow: Sniper only. Rank A. Range 1-2. Weight 9. Might 12. Hit 70. Crit 15. 50 uses.

OK, so there's class weapons in this hack. I don't know if I ever brought it up in an update, so here it is officially: Every class has certain weapons only they can use, and this is one of the sniper weapons. It's pretty great! A 1-2 range bow does make a sniper more interesting, though I still don't think Innes has real long-term potential, since so far I only have one of these and I'd probably need more for the long run.

At this point, I do some dumb shit, like trying to let Marisa of all people do some damage and then rescuing Duessel instead of Marisa, forcming me to scramble a bit.

Thankfully, I have enough Canto-capable units around that this isn't a problem.

Eventually, it gets pretty crowded as I just pile in units trying to get the killing blow on Caellach, and eventually Cormag does him in.

And he gets a level too!

Thankfully, I still have that commander unit to deal with, because that lets Rennac reach the other village and pick up another item.

I try to set up a kill for Marisa on the commander, but L'Arachel crits and takes it instead.

Two more legendary weapons!

Audhulma: Rank E (previously S). Range 1-2. Weight 9. Might 20. Hit 100. Crit 20. 30 uses.
Ragnarok: Rank E (previously S). Range 1-2. Weight 11. Might 20. Hit 100. Crit 20. 30 uses.

Seems like all the legendary weapons have been drastically standardized. Fine by me.

And that's it for this chapter! Next time, shit goes south for me very quickly.

I see that Excalibur has been swapped out for Ragnarok as Jehanna's sacred tome. Not sure why the hack went for a "fire and ice" theme (if that's the case) when, again, Excalibur was perfectly fine as a sacred tome and didn't need to be swapped out for a different tome.

It's also weird because the dialogue is unedited, so the characters are talking about "here's Excalibur, we're giving it to you" and then you get Ragnarok instead.

That said, this is one of the few renames they did that actually made sense to me: the rest of the Sacred Twins are named after things out of Norse mythology and Excalibur was the one exception. (Also, there's other wind magic in this that uses the old Excalibur animation, they made a new one for Ragnarok.)

Yeah, there's Arcwind in this hack, which is a B ranked anima tome that is effective against fliers. I presume the hack creator thought that made more sense as being the "Excalibur" of the hack.

Arcwind is also 1-3 range, it's stupid good.

That was honestly far less bad than I was expecting.

Update XVIII - Things Go Bad

So, I am doing a change from this update on. I will only go over my resets at the end, and only show off the winning attempt. I am doing this for a fucking reason. Now, first of all, we have a new unit!

Myrrh - Manakete:

STATS:

HP: 30 (+15)

MAG: 3
SKL: 3 (+2)
SPD: 5
LCK: 5 (+2)
DEF: 2
RES: 7

CON: 9 (+4)

GROWTHS:

HP: 150% (+20%)

MAG: 80% (-10%)
SKL: 80% (-5%)
SPD: 80% (+15%)
LCK: 35% (+5%)
DEF: 80% (-60%)
RES: 80% (+50%)

CAPS:

MAG: 20
SKL: 20
SPD: 25 (+5)
DEF: 20
RES: 20

Weapon ranks: A light, A dark.

Dragonstone: No rank. 1-2 Range (formerly 1 range). 0 Weight. 20 Might (+4). 100 Hit. 20 Crit (+5). 30 uses (-20). Effective vs. monsters. Bonuses: +10 HP, +10 MAG (-2), +10 SKL (-2), +5 SPD (+5), +15 DEF, +15 RES (-5).

Hoo boy, quite a few changes with Myrrh here. She got a lot more HP, which is helpful, her growths got balanced (in particular giving her a huge RES buff and DEF nerf, which I think I like), she can be a lot speedier now with the +5 to the cap and +5 to the dragonstone boosts, which means she can actually be maximum dodgy, so she has perfect endgame potential. And yes, the dragonstone is 1-2 range now. And yes, Myrrh now has A rank in light and dark magic and can totally just use tomes. Now, that of course comes with the problem that you're just going off her attributes then without the dragonstone boosts, but it can be really useful for dealing with fodder.

...not that we'll have a lot of fodder to deal with where we're going. Still, I can tell you that dragonstones are replenishable in the postgame, so we can use her as a get out of jail free card for a while here (and boy, do I ever do that this chapter). Plus, Myrrh actually has a second weapon, but we'll have to wait for a while to see that.

At some point in my multiple resets, I got tired of schlepping along unpromoted Marisa and Tana, figuring that if they were ever going to contribute, I'd need to promote them. There just is no room for unpromoted units anymore (Knoll is very very close to getting a level, so I take him along, have him attack one unit, get his level, then promote next turn, so that'll be during the map). So in my winning attempt, they'll be promoted (but not in the map shot, because I took that footage early). Now, Swordmaster:

CAPS:

STR: 23 (+1)
SKL: 26 (-4)
DEF: 22

Swordmasters have S swords, obviously, and now have 7 (+1) move.

Tempest Assault:

- +30 CRT

Straightforward. Nothing much changed here.

I thought about making her a Wyvern Knight, but I'm just not a big fan of Pierce. Might be a mistake, but whatever. I want the three falcoknight squad for maximum triangle attack shenanigans. I'm sure I can do something with that.

Now, on to the chapter.

Can you tell that this chapter caused me a lot of problems? Can you tell yet? Well, whatever, happy thoughts, it's done now. I have footage of me beating this chapter and I don't have to do it again. Let's go.

Cormag takes the lead for now on the northwest side. This is not ideal because of the heroes, but it worked this run, so whatever.

In general, Tethys takes the mage knight and Gerik takes the sniper. The bishop alone isn't a major problem, even if I can't take him out right now.

L'Arachel levels taking out one of the two great knights in the middle group's starting area.

Ewan picks up a level damaging one of the heroes.

In the end, this group does fairly badly (fueled by Duessel missing a silver axe hit that could've killed someone), but it could be fine, since the units at the front are somewhat survivable and stacked up. Normally I want at least three if not all four dead.

Knoll picks up his turn 1 level. Clearly this portended that this was the run of destiny.

Myrrh gets her first of many levels taking out the hero Knoll injured.

And we clear out the first group and should be set up fairly well for the arrival of the next group on enemy phase.

Ross gets a level taking out one of the warriors.

Marisa's job right now is eating Purge crits and healing back up.

Ross dodges two 30~40 hit chances at death because both warriors hit him on ~40 hit chances. Oh well, it was about time something broke my way on this.

This valkyrie loves heaing up almost dead units. That healing bonus for valkyries of course doesn't just help us.

Next player phase, Cormag levels taking out the mage knight, meaning the bishop is the only one left in there. Should be fine from now on and we can concentrate on that warrior/hero group.

This time the strat is to use Gerik. I used him once before here in this chokepoint and he did great, so let's see if that works again.

Southern group cleans up their area (albeit with another 80 hit Duessel miss) and start working on the roadblock generals. Should be largely cleaned up by the time the eastern group arrives. I wonder if I should start calling them Army Group West, Army Group Center and Army Group East. Clearly crossing over my parallel running LPs is the right move here.

Alright, never mind that, let's just promote Knoll.

CAPS:

STR: 26 (-1)
SKL: 27
SPD: 26
DEF: 23 (+3)
RES: 24 (-4)

Summoners gain access to anima magic and staves. A dark and anima, C staves.

Summon:

- Can summon one phantom at a time

Well, that was to be expected. We'll check out phantoms next turn, when I summon one.

Shoutouts to Ephraim for eating the low-probability crit I'm guaranteed to get every run. I'll get you to level 20 this map yet.

Gerik's set up great to take in one hero and warrior, killing the warrior and leaving the hero ripe for the picking while not running any risk of killing himself by killing enemies. We'll be slower, but safer. And after losing the amount of runs I've lost before, safe is good.

Also, reinforcements start with this great knight and druid. There's going to be a steady stream from this area heading right for us and we better be ready.

Top group gets a bit bogged down since Gerik needs healing and therefore we don't have enough damage to take out the hero, but again: Safe is good.

Ewan picks up the first chest with the key he got from the valkyrie. Stat boosters are always good, there's always somebody that can use them. Probably Knoll, his luck is still garbo.

Thankflly Duessel is a defensive machine and so these valkyries can take their high crit rate and shove it up their ass.

OK, next turn then. This turn I needed to heal Ephraim so a surprise siege tome doesn't murder him.

The right group and center group meet up as we start working on the road blocks.

AI turn order saves my ass here. First the Bolting sage, then the Eclipse sage. Both hit. Had it been Eclipse first, I think Garcia would've been dead? 37 HP to start, Eclipse takes 19 HP (it rounds up, apparently), leaving Garcia with 18... the exact damage the Bolting sage did. Man, I would've been fucking pissed if that happened.

Another great knight and druid pair.

Left group sets up in a way that the last warrior can't cause serious harm. So we pretty much secured this area now.

Ephraim caps level by slaughtering a general.

Another Myrrh level.

Natasha levels from healing.

Alright, now let's talk about phantoms. They've been given a bit of an overhaul, presumably because given the increased enemy numbers, eating a single attack isn't really helpful.

So they got a bit of an upgrade.

CAPS:

HP: 60 (+59)

STR: 25 (+5)
SKL: 25 (+5)
SPD: 25 (+5)
LCK: 30 (+10)
DEF: 20 (+20)
RES: 20 (+20)

They now have actual stats, starting at 15 flat. So now they can actually contribute more now, though it's a bit of a double-edged sword in that you can't just fire and forget with phantoms anymore - you can't rely on them drawing some fire and dying, letting you deploy another one somewhere else. Instead, you might end up with a phantom killing two units it was supposed to die to, then struggle to keep up with the action. Let's check out their growths (for Knoll / Ewan / Lyon in that order):

GROWTHS:

HP: 100% / 100% / 100%

STR: 40% (-10%) / 60% (-10%) / 50% (-10%)
SKL: 50% / 50% (+10%) / 50% (+5%)
SPD: 60% (+20%) / 30% (+10%) / 50% (+20%)
LCK: 50% (-5%) / 70% (+30%) / 50% (+20%)
DEF: 30% (+30%) / 40% (+40%) / 20% (+20%)
RES: 30% (+30%) / 20% (+20%) / 40% (+40%)

So basically:

- Knoll's phantom is speedy on offense and balanced on defense.
- Ewan's phantom hits hard on offense and focuses on physical defense.
- Lyon's phantom is balanced on offense and focuses on magical defense.

Overall, though, there's not really a super big difference. So I prefer having Ewan be a more offensive-focused frontliner class while Knoll can do the summoner duty.

Duessel shows his frontline value by tanking hits like nobody's business.

Next player phase, Gerik levels up killing one of the two great knights in the upper group.

And with Rennac able to safely open the door, Tana can start shanking that bishop. He'll be gone soon.

Another kill, another level for Myrrh.

L'Arachel double crits to annihilate a hero and get this level.

The phantom starts heading down to greet the reinforcements that will soon come. Amelia is chilling on a staircase because a swordmaster will pop out otherwise, and I can't be fucked to deal with that.

Since we cleaned up the main force harassing us in the center, Duessel heads up to harass the siege tome sages.

Lute kills a hero on enemy phase and levels.

The status staves make their presence felt. I think I want to take these guys out before they're too much trouble.

The reinforcement squad arrives!

As do the falcoknights with killer lances!

And of course another great knight and druid pair.

Gerik heads back down to meet the falcoknights.

And Cormag and Tana manage to clear out the northwest corridor, finally.

Hey, look, another Myrrh level.

Since I'm having a few too many units low on HP and not enough healing to go around, L'Arachel gets to take her nice new staff for a spin. This thing basically heals everything. I have no idea how much it heals, but I don't think I've seen anything a L'Arachel Fortify doesn't heal to max so far.

We start to fan out through the throne room a fair bit. This is usually a sign that I'm either going to die or about to have the map fully under control.

Go, phantom, go!

Duessel gets a great level for a disgraceful showing where he again missed a kill because of a silver axe miss and even ate a crit in return. Of course, because he's Duessel, that crit wasn't even half his HP.

If you're squeamish about wasted EXP, phantoms are not for you. This guy's putting in work.

Did you know that apparently great knights can do triangle attacks? Well, they can.

Gerik fights three falcoknights on enemy phase and I'm pretty sure he could've gotten killed if odds went wrong. Thankfully, he did not.

Also shoutouts to my sloppy ass leaving Marisa dodging a 22 crit death chance.

Saleh gets silenced, which is a shame.

Another Myrrh level, this time from her just attacking a sage and getting ready to take some heat on enemy phase.

Vanessa really shows that dragon's tear wasn't wasted on her with this level.

As a whole, we've mostly cleared out the throne room bar a general that doesn't move and a sleep staff druid, though that ballista sniper is still threatening. Right now the biggest threat are the reinforcements from the east and the horde coming in from the south.

Myrrh and Natasha however have the situation in the east well in hand.

The next phantom gets ready to go.

Knoll levels after healing.

While we position ourselves to take out the last few stragglers, the phantom does good work and kills not just one, but two great knights.

L'Arachel levels after taking out the ballista archer.

We also set up on the eastern side. I know there's more reinforcements coming, and I do not want to deal with them right now.

Rennac starts grabbing some loot.

And now that we've taken out every threat around Orson, let's take a look at him.

+19 HP, +2 STR, +5 SKL, +6 SPD, +7 LCK, +4 DEF, +8 RES and immunity from effective weapons compared to vanilla hard mode. And he's not carrying a javelin like Valter, either, he's got a spear.

However, as you might have seen from his HP being a lot lower, Cormag wielding Garm is more than up to the task.

Myrrh and a new phantom get to set up as a new barrier against the horde.

Myrrh gets another level.

And Tethys gets a level healing Myrrh.

And Cormag gets one too for taking out Orson.

Rennac gets the next treasure and Ephraim is right in front of the throne, so we're ready to seize next turn.

Rennac grabs the last treasure...

...we pick up a level for Knoll fighting the horde...

...and then seize. And since we've now finished the chapter...

...we get some promotions!

CAPS:

STR: 30 (+3)
SKL: 30 (+4)
SPD: 25 (+1)
DEF: 25 (+2)
RES: 22 (-1)

Resolve (Ephraim ver.):

- Immunity to anti-horse effective weapon bonus damage
- Half of equipped weapon's might is added to attack power

CAPS:

STR: 25 (+1)
SKL: 30 (+1)
DEF: 22
RES: 25

Resolve (Eirika ver.):

- Immunity to anti-horse effective weapon bonus damage
- +30 CRT

Both promoted lord classes now have 8 move.

And we get some new weapons!

Siegmund: Rank Prf (Ephraim only). Range 1. Weight 10 (-1). Might 20 (+3). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. STR +5, SPD +5, RES +5, effective against monsters, negates criticals.

Sieglinde: Rank Prf (Eirika only). Range 1. Weight 8 (-1). Might 20 (+4). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. STR +5, SKL +5, RES +5, effective against monsters, negates criticals.

That "negates criticals" part can come in very handy.

And that'll be it for this chapter. Next time, something that hopefully doesn't give me as many fits. But before that...

-------------------------------------

RESETS:

Franz leading the attack on the northwest corridor was a terrible idea, as him eating an attack by a hero, a crit Purge and a sniper shot show.

Resets: 5

Gilliam was also a terrible idea, and he was just dead in multiple ways, that Purge crit wasn't even necessary if the other warrior had hit. Turns out high defense starts to not matter when the enemies are promoted and packing silver because guess what? You don't get to have 40 defense. This basically convinced me that a promotion wasn't enough for Gilliam to continue being on the squad.

Resets: 5 6

This was just dumb. I knew the moment I put Natasha there that she was going to die. I hoped that I would maybe get lucky, but I did not. At least this was right at the beginning.

Resets: 5 6 7

I think Lute could've survived this if I had healed her up, but I needed to use Natasha to kill a sage Lute couldn't kill, so I think this was just screwed either way.

Resets: 5 6 7 8

This one just pissed me the fuck off. This was all the way at the end, I already had killed Orson and could've seized at any time, but I wanted to try and get the chests with Rennac. And then this fucking hero just shows up, goes "Hey you remember I get big ass bonuses against wyverns, right?", and hits on fucking 4 crit. That was just complete garbage.

Resets: 5 6 7 8 9

On this one I was just sloppy because I was pissed off. No reason for me to leave Ewan out that far. That was just stupid.

Resets: 5 6 7 8 9 10

And this one was probably the same thing. I was too aggressive in trying to take out the status staves and as a result put Franz in a really dumb position where he just got shredded.

Resets: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

I really thought I had something with Cormag in the northwest corridor, but it was only here that I actually remembered the bonus heroes get against wyverns and realized this was the stupidest idea.

Resets: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Ah, so that's where the bullshit that was missing from the last two chapters has been hiding. It got dumped into this map.

That said, giving Myrrh access to magic does sound like a nifty idea, but yeah, she's built around using her still limited use dragonstone for stats and numbers. On the other hand, Myrrh can be our own Purge AssholeTM, if we want.

Mini-Update II - Oh No! More Weapons!

Since it's been a while, let's have another mini-update with a bunch of weapons. This time, I'll be giving you all the weapons we had in the last mini-update, plus most B and A rank weapons. There will be a few things I leave out as they're strictly post-game, but mostly everything should be here now.

---
WEAPONS:
---

SWORDS:

Slim Sword: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 2. Might 3. Hit 100. Crit 15 (+10). 50 uses (+20).
Iron Sword: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 5. Might 4 (-1). Hit 90. Crit 0. 50 uses.
Poison Sword: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 4 (-2). Might 3. Hit 90 (+20). Crit 0. 50 uses (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Steel Sword: Rank D. Range 1. Weight 9 (-1). Might 7 (-1). Hit 85 (+10). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Sword: Rank C (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 8. Might 11 (-2). Hit 75 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Killing Edge: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 7. Might 8 (-1). Hit 75. Crit 30. 50 uses (+30).
Cleaver: Rank C (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 9 (-1). Might 9 (+1). Hit 70 (-10). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+32). Effective against cavalry and armor.

Great Sword: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 12. Might 14. Hit 65. Crit 5. 50 uses.
Lancereaver: Rank B (formerly C). Range 1. Weight 10 (+1). Might 10 (+1). Hit 75. Crit 10 (+10). 50 uses (+35). Reverses weapon triangle.
Brave Sword: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 12. Might 12 (+2). Hit 70 (-5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+20). Allows consecutive hits.

Lethal Edge: Assassin only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 9. Might 8. Hit 70. Crit 45. 50 uses. Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Astra Blade: Swordmaster only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 10. Might 8. Hit 70. Crit 45. 50 uses. Allows consecutive hits.

Shield Sword: Paladin only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 11. Might 13. Hit 70. Crit 5. 50 uses. DEF +5.
Barrier Sword: Paladin only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 11. Might 13. Hit 70. Crit 5. 50 uses. RES +5.

Light Brand: Mage Knight only. Rank A (formerly C). Range 1-2. Weight 9. Might 12 (+3). Hit 75 (+5). Crit 35 (+35). 50 uses (+25). Effective against monsters, reverses weapon triangle.
Soul Brand: Mage Knight only. Rank A. Range 1-2. Weight 10. Might 13 (+1). Hit 60 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+35). Drains HP, effective against mages and magic monsters.
Peacemaker: Mage Knight only. Rank A. Range 1-3. Weight 9. Might 0. Hit 100. Crit 0. 1 use. Very high chance to put all enemies in range to sleep.

Audhulma: Rank E (previously S). Range 1-2. Weight 9. Might 20. Hit 100. Crit 20. 30 uses. RES +10, SKL +5, effective against monsters.

Noble Rapier: Rank Prf (Eirika only). Range 1. Weight 5. Might 8 (+1). Hit 100 (+5). Crit 20 (+10). 50 uses (+10). Effective against cavalry and armor.
Sieglinde: Rank Prf (Eirika only). Range 1. Weight 8 (-1). Might 20 (+4). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. STR +5, SKL +5, RES +5, effective against monsters, negates criticals.

LANCES:

Slim Lance: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 4. Might 4. Hit 90 (+5). Crit 15 (+10). 50 uses (+20).
Iron Lance: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 7 (-1). Might 6 (-2). Hit 80. Crit 0. 50 uses (+5).
Toxin Lance: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 6 (-2). Might 4. Hit 80 (+15). Crit 0. Uses 50. Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Javelin: Rank D (formerly E). Range 1-2. Weight 10 (-1). Might 5 (-1). Hit 65. Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Steel Lance: Rank D. Range 1. Weight 10 (-3). Might 9 (-1). Hit 75 (+5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Lance: Rank C (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 10. Might 12 (-2). Hit 70 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Knight Killer: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1. Weight 11 (+6). Might 10. Hit 70 (-5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+20). Effective against cavalry and armor.

Great Lance: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 13. Might 15. Hit 60. Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses.
Axereaver: Rank B (formerly C). Range 1. Weight 11. Might 11 (+1). Hit 70. Crit 10 (+10). 50 uses (+35). Reverses weapon triangle.
Spear: Rank B. Range 1-2. Weight 12 (+2). Might 12. Hit 60 (-10). Crit 5. 50 uses (+35).
Brave Lance: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 13 (-1). Might 13 (+3). Hit 65 (-5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+20). Allows consecutive attacks.

Blessed Lance: Falcoknight only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 6. Might 12. Hit 80. Crit 15. 50 uses. +5 LCK.
Winged Spear: Falcoknight only. Rank A. Range 1-2. Weight 7. Might 12. Hit 70. Crit 30. 50 uses.

Storm Spear: Wyvern Knight only. Rank A. Range 1-2. Weight 10. Might 11. Hit 65. Crit 10. 50 uses. Allows consecutive attacks.

Vidofnir: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 9 (-2). Might 20 (+5). Hit 100 (+15). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +10 DEF, +5 RES, effective against monsters.

Noble Lance: Rank Prf (Ephraim only). Range 1. Weight 8. Might 10. Hit 90 (+10). Crit 15 (+5). 50 uses. (+5) Effective against cavalry and armor.
Siegmund: Rank Prf (Ephraim only). Range 1. Weight 10 (-1). Might 20 (+3). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. STR +5, SPD +5, RES +5, effective against monsters, negates criticals.

AXES:

Slim Axe: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 5. Might 5. Hit 85. Crit 15. 50 uses.
Iron Axe: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 8 (-2). Might 7 (-1). Hit 75. Crit 0. 50 uses (+5).
Poison Axe: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 7 (-3). Might 4. Hit 75 (+15). Crit 0. 50 uses (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Hand Axe: Rank D (formerly E). Range 1-2. Weight 11 (-1). Might 7. Hit 60. Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Steel Axe: Rank D (formerly E). Range 1. Weight 11 (-4). Might 10 (-1). Hit 70 (+5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Axe: Rank C (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 12. Might 13 (-2). Hit 65 (-5). Crit 0. 50 uses (+25).
Killer Axe: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 10 (-1). Might 10 (-1). Hit 65. Crit 30. 50 uses (+25).
Halberd: Rank C (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 12 (-3). Might 11 (+1). Hit 65 (+5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+32). Effective against cavalry and armor.

Great Axe: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 15. Might 17. Hit 55. Crit 5. 50 uses.
Swordreaver: Rank B (formerly C). Range 1. Weight 13. Might 12 (+1). Hit 65. Crit 10 (+10). 50 uses (+30). Reverses weapon triangle.
Tomahawk: Rank B (formerly A). Range 1-2. Weight 14. Might 13. Hit 55 (-10). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+30).
Brave Axe: Rank B. Range 1. Weight 15 (-1). Might 14 (+4). Hit 60 (-5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+20). Allows consecutive hits.

Francisca: Great Knight only. Rank B. Range 1-2. Weight 12. Might 13. Hit 65. Crit 5. 50 uses. +15 HP.

Guillotine: Berserker only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 13. Might 12. Hit 65. Crit 5. 50 uses. Reverses weapon triangle. Effective against sword units.
Devil's Axe: Berserker only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 14. Might 18. Hit 50. Crit 60. 50 uses.

Garm: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 13. Might 20. Hit 100 (+25). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +5 SPD. +10 DEF. Effective against monsters.

BOWS:

Slim Bow: Rank E (formerly D). Range 2. Weight 3. Might 3 (-2). Hit 100 (+15). Crit 15 (+5). 50 uses.
Iron Bow: Rank E. Range 2. Weight 5. Might 5 (-1). Hit 90 (+5). Crit 0. 50 uses.
Poison Bow: Rank E (formerly D). Range 2. Weight 5. Might 4. Hit 85 (+20). Crit 0. 50 uses (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Steel Bow: Rank D. Range 2. Weight 9. Might 8 (-1). Hit 85 (+15). Crit 0. 50 uses (+20).

Silver Bow: Rank C (formerly A). Range 2. Weight 8 (+2). Might 11 (-2). Hit 75. Crit 0. 50 uses (+30).
Killer Bow: Rank C. Range 2. Weight 8 (+1). Might 8 (-1). Hit 75. Crit 30. 50 uses (+30).

Great Bow: Rank B. Range 2. Weight 11 (-1). Might 14. Hit 65. Crit 5. 50 uses.
Longbow: Rank B (formerly D). Range 2-3. Weight 10. Might 11 (+6). Hit 60. Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+30).
Brave Bow: Rank B. Range 2. Weight 13 (+1). Might 12 (+2). Hit 65 (-5). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses (+20). Allows consecutive hits.

Icarus Bow: Sniper only. Rank A. Range 1-2. Weight 9. Might 12. Hit 70. Crit 15. 50 uses.
Ballista: Sniper only. Rank A. Range 3-10. Weight 18. Might 13. Hit 55. Crit 10. 5 uses. Uncounterable.

Nidhogg: Rank E (formerly S). Range 2-3. Weight 8 (+1). Might 20 (+2). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +10 SKL, +5 STR, magic bow (does that mean hits RES?), effective against monsters (NOT fliers!)

---
MAGIC:
---

STAVES:

Heal: Rank E. Range 1. Weight 2. 50 uses (+20). Heals 10 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 15 EXP (+4).
Mend: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1. Weight 4. 25 uses (+5). Heals 20 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 20 EXP (+8).
Torch: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 5. 20 uses (+10). Uses a torch at the chosen square. Use gives 20 EXP (+5).
Unlock: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1-2. Weight 7. 10 uses. Opens doors. Use gives 20 EXP (+3).

Physic: Rank D (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 5. 20 uses (+5). Heals 20 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 25 EXP (+3).
Restore: Rank D (formerly C). Range 1. Weight 4. 25 uses (+15). Cures status condition. Use gives 20 EXP.

Sleep: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 8. 5 uses (+2). Inflicts sleep. Use gives 40 EXP (+5).
Silence: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 7. 5 uses (+2). Inflicts silence. Use gives 35 EXP (+5).
Hammerne: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 7. 1 use (-2). Repairs a weapon or staff to full uses. Use gives 100 EXP (+60).
Barrier: Rank C. Range 1. Weight 1. 25 uses (+10). Increases RES by 7, -1 each turn. Use gives 25 EXP (+8).

Recover: Rank B (formerly A). Range 1. Weight 8 (+2). 25 uses (+5). Heals 35 HP + MAG / 2. Use gives 25 EXP (+8).
Fortify: Rank B (formerly A). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 7. 15 uses (+7). Heals 20 HP + MAG / 2 for every friendly unit except the caster themselves in range. Use gives 65 (+5) EXP.

Charm: Rank A (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 8. 5 uses (+2). Inflicts berserk status. Use gives 45 (+5) EXP.

Wrath: Oracle only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 1. 25 uses. Increases crit by 10 for one ally and two turns. Use gives 25 EXP.
Mirage: Oracle only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 1. 25 uses. Increases avoid by 10 for one ally and two turns. Use gives 25 EXP.
Sanctuary: Oracle only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 1. 5 uses. Increases DEF and RES by 10 for one ally and two turns. Use gives 100 EXP.
Holy Decree: Oracle only. Rank A. Range 1. Weight 1. 5 uses. Increases STR/MAG by 10 for one ally and two turns. Use gives 100 EXP.

Rescue: Valkyrie only. Rank S (formerly B). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 6. 5 uses (+2). Brings ally from afar to space adjacent to the caster. Use gives 45 (+5) EXP.
Warp: Valkyrie only. Rank S (formerly A). Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 5. 5 uses. Moves an ally to a traversable and visible square on the map. Use gives 90 (+5) EXP.
Salvation: Valkyrie only. Rank S. Range 1-(MAG/2). Weight 8. 20 uses. Heals 40 HP + MAG / 2 for one ally at range. Use gives 30 EXP.

Latona: Rank E (formerly S). Range All. Weight 5. 5 uses (+2). +10 HP and +5 RES for wielder. Fully restores HP and status of all units except the caster. Use gives 100 (+90) EXP.

ANIMA:

Fire: Rank E. Range 1-2. Weight 4. Might 5. Hit 90. Crit 0. 50 uses (+10).

Thunder: Rank D. Range 1-2. Weight 6. Might 7 (-1). Hit 80. Crit 5. 50 uses (+15).

Wind: Rank C (formerly B). Range 1-2. Weight 5 (+3). Might 8. Hit 75 (-10). Crit 10 (+10). 50 uses (+25). Effective against fliers.

Arcthunder: Rank B. Range 3-10. Weight 12 (-8). Might 10 (-2). Hit 65 (+5). Crit 10 (+10). 5 uses. Uncounterable.
Arcfire: Rank B. Range 1-2. Weight 9 (-1). Might 14 (+4). Hit 75 (-10). Crit 5 (+5). 50 uses. (+20)
Arcwind: Rank B. Range 1-3. Weight 8 (-5). Might 10 (-8). Hit 70 (-30). Crit 20 (+10). 50 uses (+20). Effective against fliers.

Rexfrost: Sage only. Rank B (formerly A). Range 1-2. Weight 10 (-2). Might 12 (-1). Hit 70 (-10). Crit 10 (+10). 50 uses (+30). Allows consecutive hits.

Ragnarok: Rank E (previously S). Range 1-2. Weight 11. Might 20. Hit 100. Crit 20. 30 uses.

DARK:

Flux: Rank E (formerly D). Range 1-2. Weight 8. Might 9 (+2). Hit 80. Crit 0. 50 uses.

Ruin: Rank D (formerly C). Range 1-2. Weight 10. Might 5 (+5). Hit 60 (+10). Crit 40 (+40). 50 uses (+20).

Eclipse: Rank C (formerly B). Range 3-10. Weight 20 (+8). Might N/A. Hit 55 (+25). Crit 0. 5 uses. Halves target's HP. Uncounterable. Cannot double.

Fenrir: Rank B (formerly A). Range 1-2. Weight 11 (-7). Might 16. Hit 60 (-10). Crit 5 (+5). 50 (+30) uses. Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.
Nosferatu: Rank B. Range 1-2. Weight 12 (-2). Might 13 (+3). Hit 60 (-10). Crit 0. 50 (+30) uses. User recovers HP equal to damage.

Extinction: Druid / Necromancer only. Rank A. Range 1-2. Weight 11. Might 13. Hit 65. Crit 10. 50 uses. Reverses magic triangle.
Hel: Druid / Necromancer only. Rank A. Range 1-3. Weight 12. Might 0. Hit 95. Crit 0. 5 uses. Ignores enemy resistance.

Gleipnir: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 13 (-7). Might 20 (-3). Hit 100 (+20). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +10 MAG. +5 SKL. Effective against monsters.
Naglfar: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 14 (-4). Might 20 (-5). Hit 100 (+5). Crit 30 (+30). Infinite uses. DEF +5, RES +5, LCK +5, negates criticals.

LIGHT:

Lightning: Rank E. Range 1-2. Weight 6. Might 4. Hit 100 (+5). Crit 15 (+10). 50 uses (+15).

Divine: Rank B (formerly C). Range 1-2. Weight 9 (-3). Might 9 (+1). Hit 85. Crit 25 (+15). 50 (+25) uses.
Aura: Rank B (formerly A). Range 1-2. Weight 11 (-4). Might 12. Hit 75 (-10). Crit 35 (+20). 50 (+30) uses.

Ivaldi: Rank E (formerly S). Range 1-2. Weight 10. Might 20 (+3). Hit 100 (+10). Crit 20 (+20). 30 uses. +10 LCK, +5 DEF, effective against monsters.

OTHER:

Dragonstone: Myrrh only. No rank. 1-2 Range (formerly 1 range). 0 Weight. 20 Might (+4). 100 Hit. 20 Crit (+5). 30 uses (-20). Effective vs. monsters. Bonuses: +10 HP, +10 STR (-2), +10 SKL (-2), +5 SPD (+5), +15 DEF, +15 RES (-5).

MONSTER ONLY:

Rotten Claw: Range 1. Weight 8. Might 7. Hit 80. Crit 0.
Fetid Claw: Range 1. Weight 10. Might 12. Hit 70 (-5). Crit 0.
Sharp Claw: Range 1. Weight 14. Might 17 (+3). Hit 60 (-5). Crit 0.
Poison Claw: Range 1. Weight 10. Might 5 (-1). Hit 85 (+20). Crit 0. Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.
Lethal Talon: Range 1. Weight 12. Might 10. Hit 70 (+10). Crit 10 (+10). Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.

Fiery Fang: Range 1. Weight 5. Might 6 (+1). Hit 100 (+10). Crit 15 (+15).
Hellfang: Range 1. Weight 8. Might 13. Hit 80. Crit 35 (+35).

Evil Eye: Range 1-2. Weight 4 (-2). Might 7. Hit 85. Crit 0.
Demon Surge: Range 1-2. Weight 6 (-2). Might 11. Hit 80. Crit 0. Poisons (-5 HP for 5 turns) on contact.
Crimson Eye: Range 1-2. Weight 11 (-2). Might 15. Hit 70. Crit 5.
Shadowshot: Range 3-10. Weight 20. Might 13. Hit 70. Crit 10 (+5).
Stone: Range 1-3. Weight 8. Might 0. Hit 60 (-5). Crit 0. Petrifies enemy.

---
ITEMS:
---

USABLE:

Vulnerary: 5 uses (+2), heals 20 HP (+10).
Elixir: 3 uses, fully heals HP.
Antitoxin: 5 uses (+2), cures poison.
Pure Water: 5 uses (+2), increases RES by 7, -1 each turn.

Lockpick: 15 uses, thieves, assassins and rogues only, opens chests and doors.
Chest Key: 1 use, opens a chest.
Door Key: 1 use, opens a door.
Member Card: Grants access to secret shops.

Dragon Tear: Adds +10% to every stat growth rate.
Angelic Robe: Raises maximum HP by 5 (-2).

NON-USABLE:

Star Seal: New item. Adds +1 to all stats (well, STR/SKL/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES, anyway). Can be given to any unit.
Fili Shield: +1 STR/MAG, +1 SKL, +1 SPD. Protects against effectiveness for fliers.