Fire Emblem: Three Houses, or: 3 Fires, 3 Emblems, 3 Houses

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Leonie was weird on my first route. I went full on into lances, thinking "Oh, I'll just make her whatever the max level Cavalier class is" only to find out there isn't really a master class for cavaliers. Heavy Knight needs 2 classes that cavaliers don't usually go for, and I already had a bow knight in Bernie, so I ended up having to fast tracking Leonie into falcon knight. Though thankfully every path I've used her, Leonie ends up a death goddess, so it worked out in the end.

Thundersword wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:34 am
Leonie was weird on my first route. I went full on into lances, thinking "Oh, I'll just make her whatever the max level Cavalier class is" only to find out there isn't really a master class for cavaliers. Heavy Knight needs 2 classes that cavaliers don't usually go for, and I already had a bow knight in Bernie, so I ended up having to fast tracking Leonie into falcon knight. Though thankfully every path I've used her, Leonie ends up a death goddess, so it worked out in the end.
Leonie's best strength is in how flexible she is with classes. There's the vanilla layout of going towards Paladin or Sniper/Bow Knight, but as you said, she can easily fast track into Falcon Knight or even Wyvern Lord. Or you can go to different options like Swordmaster or even Assassin like Natural20 has done. Having no real weakness in skill options helps Leonie out a lot, and coupled with a personal skill that's relatively easy to proc (unless you're doing an all-girls run), she is by far the most reliable unit in the game from a mechanical standpoint.

AradoBalanga wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 pm
Leonie's best strength is in how flexible she is with classes. There's the vanilla layout of going towards Paladin or Sniper/Bow Knight, but as you said, she can easily fast track into Falcon Knight or even Wyvern Lord. Or you can go to different options like Swordmaster or even Assassin like Natural20 has done. Having no real weakness in skill options helps Leonie out a lot, and coupled with a personal skill that's relatively easy to proc (unless you're doing an all-girls run), she is by far the most reliable unit in the game from a mechanical standpoint.
Ironically, in my first run (BE) part of my thought process for recruiting Leonie (aside from just being interested in her character-wise) was that recruiting units I particularly liked, who were almost all women, had made my party very heavy on mages. So I didn't get much use out of that personal skill, no. I think about the only male attackers I was using with any regularity were Ferdinand and Hubert. She still did pretty well though.

Is there any chance of us getting everyone's "First Kill" dialogue lines from Zanado? I feel like that's always a good gauge of each characters' personalities to start off the run.

Denxa wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 am
Is there any chance of us getting everyone's "First Kill" dialogue lines from Zanado? I feel like that's always a good gauge of each characters' personalities to start off the run.
I'll add those when we get to the Azure Moon run, yeah.

Registered just to make this post -- that avatar rocks! Kindred Spirits forever!

TheDavies wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 am
Registered just to make this post -- that avatar rocks! Kindred Spirits forever!
...That sure is a post. Don't know what it's supposed to be referring to or how it's referring to that, but it's a post.
Last edited by Greener223224 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greener223224 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:35 pm
TheDavies wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 am
...That sure is a post. Don't know what it's supposed to be referring to or how it's referring to that, but it's a post.
Rea's avatar here on LP Beach is a major character from the really excellent lesbian ghost matchmaking VN "Kindred Spirits on the Roof".

Jadecore wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm
Rea's avatar here on LP Beach is a major character from the really excellent lesbian ghost matchmaking VN "Kindred Spirits on the Roof".
Oh right, her avvy.
I get it now.

Hello, everyone. It's been a while.

Quick status update: I'm finishing up my move from the west coast of the US to the east coast. It's been a lot, I'm sure you can imagine. Now that it's almost done, though, I can finally get back to updating this soon.

I hope the new updates will be satisfactory.

Looking forward to more
Good timing too. The 110 F week made California catch fire again.

ThornBrain wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 am
Looking forward to more
Good timing too. The 110 F week made California catch fire again.
Yeah, uh, very serendipitous timing on my move.

My parents sent me pictures of the sky and my first thought was "that could easily pass for a screenshot from some apocalypse movie or game."

I'm just glad you moved safely.

The "Roster Retrieval" quest is interesting, since it opens up a few things, like being able to see a non-house member's stats by pressing X after talking to them (it also works on house members too, but I think the option is meant for sizing up non-house people and their stats). However, this option doesn't work on Anna, for some reason. You'll still get her quests, but every other interaction option (yes, this even includes lost items) with Anna is locked off if she's not part of your house. You have to recruit her to even view her stats, let alone access her Faculty Training options (which you can do with other knights/teachers regardless of whether or not you've recruited them). I have no other explanation outside of maybe the Cindered Shadows DLC messing up the internal coding for NPC Anna.

I really don't like how the fundamental reading of Leonie's character from most of the fandom comes almost entirely from her MU supports. It's like none of her interactions with any other characters matter, only the ones that determine whether the player wants to have vicarious sex with her.

Plus if I'm being honest, I prefer a character to legit dislike the MU. Her supports come across as sincere jealousy towards the cipher's privileges, rather than yet another bout of rote Tsundere-coded nonsense that ruined a lot of good characters in previous games (Cecil, Yumina, Maris, and lord knows how many FE14 characters...) The only weak point is that the jealousy partly has to rely on yet another cipher in Jeralt to make us invested in it.

Oh, and because I like to form development narratives, I've heard that Silver Snow was the route that had the most involvement from IS in the scenario writing, so they can probably be blamed the most for Jeralt being an empty Greil facsimile.
Last edited by Greener223224 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

To be fair, Leonie is one of the more one-note characters, especially when it comes to her monastery and cutscene lines, which are all some flavour of "JERALT!". In a game with mostly interesting characters, she stands out. You need to put a good deal of work into her to see the more interesting parts of her personality, and even then "JERALT!" is still the most prominent. It doesn't help that other one-note characters like Raphael "MEAT!" or Linhardt "NAPTIME!" have more entertaining or sympathetic gimmicks.

All Three Houses characters have more going for them than the obvious, and once you realize that, you'll likely look into the characters you considered not worth it and start liking them. Leonie in particular has some really great supports (and endings...) with people who aren't Adan. The problem is, Adan and her monastery stuff is going to be the first thing you'll see for her.

The biggest problem with Leonie is still coming up, in my opinion. I do genuinely like her (though more as a unit, considering how good she is), but I think there's a scene that was either written poorly or timed poorly (or both) that really hurts her. (I hope this isn't considered a spoiler - if it is, let me know and I'll remove it).

On another note - someone mentioned Anna above and I noticed you hadn't really done a review on her yet beyond calling her a joke character at one point. Does the release of Cindered Shadows (and more specifically, the Trickster class) change that or will you give her a more detailed analysis at a later time?

Lifeofaguardian wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:12 pm
On another note - someone mentioned Anna above and I noticed you hadn't really done a review on her yet beyond calling her a joke character at one point. Does the release of Cindered Shadows (and more specifically, the Trickster class) change that or will you give her a more detailed analysis at a later time?
Trickster doesn't fix Anna's complete lack of supports, mediocre spell learn lists (the only thing she learns that's of any value is Rescue), or Authority weakness. I'll give her a detailed analysis at some point, I guess, but having absolutely no supports and not even having the courtesy to have ridiculous stats to make up for it really sours me on her. At least Mystery Spoiler Man, with all four of his supports, has ridiculous stats and an Authority weakness that doesn't matter because he comes with Authority B anyway. Hell, even with his limited support list, it still has notable advantages: a Mt-boosting support, and a support with someone who easily learns siege magic. All of them go up to A, too (with the exception of Adan/Abby, who obvs. go up to S).

Seriously, I don't know why you'd field a unit with 35% offensive growths who doesn't have a very good personal ability, a good support list (Ingrid), or both (Bernadetta).

Grumpy Turtle wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 am
To be fair, Leonie is one of the more one-note characters, especially when it comes to her monastery and cutscene lines, which are all some flavour of "JERALT!". In a game with mostly interesting characters, she stands out. You need to put a good deal of work into her to see the more interesting parts of her personality, and even then "JERALT!" is still the most prominent. It doesn't help that other one-note characters like Raphael "MEAT!" or Linhardt "NAPTIME!" have more entertaining or sympathetic gimmicks.

All Three Houses characters have more going for them than the obvious, and once you realize that, you'll likely look into the characters you considered not worth it and start liking them. Leonie in particular has some really great supports (and endings...) with people who aren't Adan. The problem is, Adan and her monastery stuff is going to be the first thing you'll see for her.
Yeah pretty much, and to go a bit further even it it were just people disliking her because of her hostile interactions with Abby/Adan, said interactions are pretty much just one-sided rivalry for poor reasons (and not even a comedic one) and furthermore we already have people who don't have the kindest view of Abby/Adan (to put it mildly) and have stronger reasons for doing so, so it all feels kind of pointlessly aggrivating.

Rea wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:09 pm
Lifeofaguardian wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:12 pm
Trickster doesn't fix Anna's complete lack of supports, mediocre spell learn lists (the only thing she learns that's of any value is Rescue), or Authority weakness. I'll give her a detailed analysis at some point, I guess, but having absolutely no supports and not even having the courtesy to have ridiculous stats to make up for it really sours me on her. At least Mystery Spoiler Man, with all four of his supports, has ridiculous stats and an Authority weakness that doesn't matter because he comes with Authority B anyway. Hell, even with his limited support list, it still has notable advantages: a Mt-boosting support, and a support with someone who easily learns siege magic. All of them go up to A, too (with the exception of Adan/Abby, who obvs. go up to S).

Seriously, I don't know why you'd field a unit with 35% offensive growths who doesn't have a very good personal ability, a good support list (Ingrid), or both (Bernadetta).
To add on to this, the first chance you have to get Anna with more strength than magic is Chapter 7 or 8, where the Thief class scaling gives Anna enough of a strength boost to at least put a small dent into things with regular swords. As opposed to blowing a whole bunch of resources to give her a Levin Sword. She is really bad as a combat unit, and is better off being well, a shopkeeper.

Oh Hell Man. You just keep being Hell Man.

Just to touch on Leonie a little more, I like her overall but there's a very good chance the first non-C support you see of hers is Byleth's, and Leonie/Byleth B is just one of the worst supports in the game.

I think I missed Ferdie/Coco on my last playthrough, but jeez, poor Ferdie. Such a good boy but his talent for foot-in-mouth is astronomical.

A bonus for people who like numbers:

I can't sleep, so I made this spreadsheet of all units' battles and victories for every run in the LP.

Surprised Ingrid only got used twice, she was my murder-machine on most runs. And I was never able to make Annette useful compared to the flood of other great mages available. How did Annette manage to get more kills than battles in the VW run, typo?

DKII wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:36 am
Surprised Ingrid only got used twice, she was my murder-machine on most runs. And I was never able to make Annette useful compared to the flood of other great mages available. How did Annette manage to get more kills than battles in the VW run, typo?
Correct, my very tired self somehow managed to confuse the number 7 for the number 29.

Lysithea getting back-to-back defense level ups is like seeing a unicorn trot past you. :stare:

Hapi is so good.

Claude/Balthus is interesting because it's unusual to see Claude drop his jokey-joke facade. Promising start.

Lorenz and Leonie get a unique eating dialogue after support level C, can you show that off? It's pretty funny.

Claude: Absolute master of phrasing mundane things in the creepiest way possible.

I'd forgotten what Claude/Lorenz B was about, and combined with the other Lorenz supports we saw this update it's an interesting look how nobility kinda falls apart within the setting. While Gloucester, having a relic, obviously goes back 1000 years as a lineage, the alliance is much newer and being a founding family of it means the Gloucester's must have been savvy and understood the value and nature of teamwork in order to pull that off. But here's Lorenz, half a dozen or so generations down the line, whose clearly been raised in the art of making everyone else responsible for his family's obligations and thinking only of improving their standing within the Alliance. Like, it takes only pretty basic statecraft to realize that oh, the smaller state with lots of wealth but few people does their part by funding things rather than having to match every other region man-for-man in providing troops, but forcing them to overextend themselves in the name of "fairness" improves Gloucester's standing while weakening the Alliance as a whole.
Like, jeez, Lorenz doesn't quite rise to the level of Large Adult Failson but his kids almost certainly would.

So we now from prior playthroughs that Tomas had disappeared and been replaced by Solon from the point he was rehired at Gareg mach before the game began. So he's deliberately just handing out more details about the depth of the Church's coverup now that Claude, Very Important Future Leader of the Alliance, is already suspicious of Rhea's motives and the nature of the relics. Almost as though they want to prime him as much as possible to be ready to fight Rhea down the road, which is kinda weird when they already have one of those who's been working with them for much longer.
Unless of course they don't consider Edelgard a partner and just want as much chaos as possible.

CmdrKing wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 pm
Unless of course they don't consider Edelgard a partner and just want as much chaos as possible.
Considering what the Dubstep Molemen are like it's likely very much this.

CmdrKing wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 pm
I'd forgotten what Claude/Lorenz B was about, and combined with the other Lorenz supports we saw this update it's an interesting look how nobility kinda falls apart within the setting. While Gloucester, having a relic, obviously goes back 1000 years as a lineage, the alliance is much newer and being a founding family of it means the Gloucester's must have been savvy and understood the value and nature of teamwork in order to pull that off. But here's Lorenz, half a dozen or so generations down the line, whose clearly been raised in the art of making everyone else responsible for his family's obligations and thinking only of improving their standing within the Alliance. Like, it takes only pretty basic statecraft to realize that oh, the smaller state with lots of wealth but few people does their part by funding things rather than having to match every other region man-for-man in providing troops, but forcing them to overextend themselves in the name of "fairness" improves Gloucester's standing while weakening the Alliance as a whole.
Like, jeez, Lorenz doesn't quite rise to the level of Large Adult Failson but his kids almost certainly would.
Lorenz isn't helped by his own father being heavily implied to be a greasy politician in his own right. A lot of the current Alliance's issues can be narrowed down to a mix of "Who the fuck is this Claude dude?" and "Goddamnit, what did Count Gloucester do this time to ratfuck us?", leaning more to the latter. I'd argue that if Lorenz was allowed to lead the Alliance, it'd be as a puppet ruler with his father calling the real shots. Couple that with the sheltered environment Lorenz has grown up in, and you have someone who thinks they know how the world works, but in fact is so tone deaf and out-of-touch that they cannot stop tripping over their own feet.

And yet, Lorenz at least tries to be accepting of those around him. He's not completely huffing his own farts to not notice other people's issues, such as with Ignatz who Lorenz immediately sees doesn't want to be a knight (or even in the military), but rather wants to live a civilian life as an artist. I think what Lorenz is supposed to represent is a royal family staring down a major fork in the road: continue the old ways and stagnate further, or open up and re-examine the world they live in. But, as Silver Snow showed us, that's a decision that'll be thrust into Lorenz's lap when he is still not ready for prime time, as it were.

I took Hilda through Brigand > Wyvern Rider but I like how she's turning out in Pegasus. I always end up with super-low hit rates out of her by endgame, to the point where I would give her an Accuracy Ring and a high-Hit battalion.

Poor Marianne. I can sort of see where Leonie's coming from in that support, though; I could see how "stuck-up noble making up things to brush off having to actually help" would seem a more likely guess for Leonie's experience than Marianne actually thinking that little of herself, even though we know the truth. Also, aside from the part of Ashe not really getting what's going on with Marianne that well, his other comments outright saying Marianne is cute seemed surprisingly forward for a cross-house C support.
And for some reason, Annette's delivery on "Aw, this stinks." for bad levels kind of makes me laugh a bit every time. (In a good way.)

Almost every guy Marianne meets hits on her, actually. Even Dimitri, who tends to be dense as hell with the opposite sex.

I've never been that good at picking up on those kinds of things, honestly. I didn't really see it in the other Marianne C supports, which is part of why it surprised me (that is, he's being blatant enough that even I notice).

Oh Hell Man, you'd be better at this if you tried to be less creepy and less hung up on superficial nonsense.