The better part of valour is discretion - Let Us Playeth Killzone Mercenary

Put your Let's Plays in here.
OP NOTE: This LP started originally on Something Awful and will be run first and foremost there. That said, I love y'all here at the Beach and want to share my favourite Killzone game--the BEST Killzone game--here with everyone too. Updates will likely be a bit delayed on this site, but it will appear both places. If you're itching for more Killzone content, you can get it as it happens on SA in this thread.

Hear ye, hear ye!

The miserable tyrant that was Killzone the First is dead, long so. Their reign threatened to grind nine-gear crow and myself to a pulp. Wretched were they, let us never speak of them again lest their shadow darken our halls. Wee Killzone the Liberator sough to redeem this series but despite a fine showing, could raise no bannermen. The call of the PlayStation Portable is such cheap tin to many an ear. Brave Killzone the Second, may their Golden Age long be remembered, endured much to become one legend. Yet sadly, all good things must come to an end. Their successor, Killzone the Third was fine. Just, you know. Fine. I like the forest level. But their rule, fine as it was, too came to an end. The PS3 Dynasty is long over and new factions vie for the throne... the Killzthrone. There are two new royal bloodlines to contend with: Killzone the Fallen Shadow of the PS4 Dynasty, and its wayward cousin, Killzone the Mercenary of the King of All Consoles, the PlayStation Vita TV.

At first it was believéd that only the PS3 trilogy would be completed, yet crow and I, foolish youth we once were, took it upon ourselves to attempt and chronicle this new royal order. We had not the energy for such a task... Now, plagued with gout, our humours out of sorts, we seek to purge ourselves of this task.

To do so, we must complete these LPs.

Then and only then, shall we be free.

ImageImage

It sucks having these two games hang over our heads! We were so close to the finish line. The largest reason for not completing them in the last thread is because I moved to a smaller place with several roommates. I no longer have anywhere to record. I'm against spending money to rent an empty room to go do group commentary, but I've found a solution: solo recording in a shed. There's no wifi, so I must bid adieu to nine-gear crow and CJacobs for this project... But that's okay. I frickin' love Killzone: Mercenary and really really really want to give it a proper go.

Sorry, Shadow Fall. If you never get done, I don't really care, hahaha.

Welcome to Killzone: Mercenary!

:siren: S P O I L E R :siren:
:siren: ! P O L I C Y ! :siren:

There ain't one! Spoil away. Mercenary takes place during Killzone 1, Liberation, and 2 anyways so there'll be a lot of old plot points going on in the background as we do our special ops mercenary thing. This going to be a solo VLP of Killzone: Mercenary. Less goofy co-commentary shenanigans, but I really appreciate this game and want to share it with all those poor souls who don't own a PlayStation Vita TV.

Its style has been influenced was influenced by some awesome Cinema Discusso threads a few years back that used a running commentary style of reviewing: Kyle Hyde's American Psycho thread and Terry van Feleday's Transformers threads.

That said, lets' Continue To Needlessly Complicate The Killzone Franchise and see if we can't figure out:

Last edited by sally on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Welcome back to the best Killzone! (Remember, it's only available for the PS Vita TV, the King of all consoles.) Why is it the greatest of the series? It throws away any and all pretenses about some serious war drama dealing with honour and revenge. Here you play as an asshole mercenary only concerned with those sweet, sweet Vektan dollars. You'll fight for whoever pays the most, Helghast or ISA, and gameplay is incentivized in such a way to encourage you to kill people as quickly and efficiently as possible. Every kill gets added to the bill! And when you cash out you get to buy more and more sweet gadgets, turning you into the most murderous, Geneva Convention-defying, douche-bag James Bond to ever exist in the Killzone universe.

Best of all, you don't have to play as some asshole from Vekta or Helghan. Naw, you get to play as an asshole from Earth: the ORIGINAL planet of assholes. Meet Aaron Danner, Earthman Supreme:

This stupid asshole with his fucking dumbass hat and facial hair and shitty tribal sleeve tats always wearing aviators like some fucko. He's an asshole in his concept art and he's an asshole in game:

He's a scumbag PMC pulling the silent-protagonist schtick and he winds up being the best god-damned protagonist to have ever graced a Killzone game.

Fuck.

Anyways, since I've done this all before, I'm going to take this as an opportunity to edit and revise the original first post a bit. I'm going to keep the introduction as its own thing, but the Chapter 1 video will be split into two videos. Partly because the original CH1 video is nearly an hour long...

So, reminder: Storytelling in Mercenary is different from other games in the series. The intro is essentially a YouTube recap of the series thusfar. And we can imagine it as being viewed by Danner himself on his FalloutTM Pip-Boy.

No, really!

Imagine the Vita, right?

Okay, well, it's acknowledge to an extent in-game. That is to say, when you're in the menu, or setting up a mission, or watching a briefing video, you are watching this thing on Danner's arm:

This is your Pip-Boy Vanguard device. This lets Danner communicate with the world, whether that's setting a bomb timer, buying sweet crap, or getting messages from his boss, it's all done here. It's good he has this to communicate, because he's silent-protagonist--a first for the Killzone series. I suppose this means we, the player, are supposed to project onto this piece of shit, though really, the only two possible reads on his character are altruistic killer with a heart of gold, or parasitic scumbag who gets off on this. Regardless, I've always thought Guerrilla Cambridge did an alright job of it here. But you'll see for yourself as the game plays out.

With regards to this being a Vita game, don't forget through this LP that this is on a PS Vita TV, so the touchpad extras that Guerrilla Cambridge threw in to make you feel like you were actually interacting with Danner's wrist communicator are somewhat lost in translation. Take your very first action of the game for example: A finger print scanner appears on the screen. On a real Vita, you'd have to touch it yourself, starting the game with YOUR first official act as Aaron Danner. In the Vita TV, this is accomplished with a "Press X" prompt.

Ah well. If you can, keep an eye out for Danner's left hand when it appears on screen. You'll see the in-game pause menu idling on the Vanguard. It's good.

The game won't actually start until you complete the scan. Your first act of the game is acknowledging that you are Aaron Danner. Or I should say, you "scan" your finger and discover that you are Aaron Danner. Surprise!

The intro is a brief history of the lead up to the First Extrasolar War right up through the events of Killzone 1 to Killzone: Liberation. Yeah, you remember Liberation? Mercenary does!

The loss of actual cutscenes kind of sucks--Guerrilla is generally pretty good at them--but I do enjoy these info dumps. There's a lot of blink-and-you'll-miss-it information here. Take this shot Alpha Centauri, for example. It lists the names of planets in the system besides Vekta and Helghan. Of note, there's Epictetus, Aeschylus, and Mefitis.
  • Epictetus was a Greek Stoic philosopher. One of his tenets was that all external events and happenings are beyond our control. Things happen and you just gotta accept it. However, he was a stoic that felt that virtue was in and of itself sufficient for happiness, so hey, no matter what happens, as long as remain responsible for your own actions and lead a virtuous life, you should be alright. His planet is on the Vekta side.
  • Mefitis was the Samnite god of foul-smelling gases of the earth. In English, the adjective "mephitic" means "noxious", "poisonous", or "offensive in odour". This planet is also on the Vektan side, so you decide what they're trying to say :yum:
  • Aeschylus was another ancient Greek. He was a playwright and is often considered the "father of tragedy". He was pretty prolific, but only a few of his plays survive today. Humanity's understanding of the genre begins with his works. His planet is on the Helghan side--again, you decide what the game is trying to say!

Vektan's moons are named Fortune and Hope because of course they are.

Anyways, once the narrative kicks in, it's a pretty bare-bones retelling of the history of the conflict. A lot of detail and nuance that was in that lore website Guerrilla used to have online gets lost in favour of giving just the major story beats. Which makes sense. Aaron Danner is a merc and really doesn't need to know THAT much as long as he knows who to shoot to get sweet headshot cash bonuses. And obviously, you don't want to alienate new players with too much story overload.

We do know that this whole "asserting colonial independence" thing is kinda glossing over how the Helghan Corporation wanted to play it. Remember, outside of Alpha Centauri, Earth's colonies were even further away. To reach any of those places (like, presumably, Gyre), it was important to stop at Alpha Centauri where infrastructure was set up to refuel their ships. The Heghan Corporation wanted to tax the hell out of anyone using this service so that they could set themselves up as a dominant power. To briefly re-cap what was covered back in our Killzone 2 LP, the EarthGov saw what the Helghan Corporation was up to and put a stop to it before they could go full Weyland-Yutani. Say what you will about EarthGov's draconian measures, but when it comes to saving the human race from soulless profit-seeking corporations, they at least had that right.

Regardless, the CEOs of Weyland-Yutani the Helghan Corporation shit their pants when they find out EarthGov was going to call them on their bullshit and send all their big guns. For all the sweet tech we've seen across the past several games, it's important to keep in mind that Vekta and Helghan are still just the backwater colonies and the biggest and best weapons and technology all reside on Earth. So when EarthGov showed up, the Heghan Corp was swatted down like a fly.

The next series of events zoom through the rise of Visari and the tensions between Helghan and Vekta, all culminating in the Vektan invasion which kicked off the events of Killzone 1. Not much to say here, though I do appreciate the timeline at the bottom of the screen keeping track of the approximate date and the video clips from previous games that anchor Mercenary into the greater Killzone Universe. For point of reference, Mercenary will span Liberation's timeline through most of Killzone 2.

Oh, and we get our first glimpse of a new non-Danner character, Sepp Harkin. He is the Vektan ambassador to Helghan. We'll see how that works out for him later on in the game.

This is a nice callback to Killzone: Liberation. Those of you who played it (besides myself; I'm looking at you, crow!) will remember Rayhoven as one of the key locations of the game, being where the Red Dust nuke was created by Evelyn Batton. Those of you who paid particularly close attention to the lore of Liberation (once again, crow, you're the only one I'm looking at), may also recognize Diortem City as one of those background detail throw away names from the map printed on the back of the Liberation box art:

Just to make sure we're all keeping track, the events of Killzone 1 take place in Northern Vekta, where Vekta City itself is. Thus, Shadow Fall also takes place in Northern Vekta. Liberation and Mercenary, the portable games, are both in Southern Vekta.

We get a call-back to Liberation's big bad, Armin Metrac, here as we meet his subordinate and our primary Helghast antagonist, Vyktor Kratek. Unlike most Helghast who follow the whole fascist space Nazi aesthetic, Kratek has gone hog-wild with the Saturday Morning cartoon super villain look, what with the weird-ass robot skull head mask. I don't know what his fucking deal is, but Kratek is a ridiculously evil caricature and seems to be loving every bit of it. I can't help but imagine other Helghast leaders giving him a wide berth because he takes his job a little too seriously. Anyways, robot-skull-head guy here briefly outlines for the viewer one of the core Helghast tenets: reclaim what was rightfully theirs. I can almost hear Visari...

Then we flip to the Vektans for their take:

We've been through this before, but to recap, while the Helghast are technically trying to reclaim territory that was once theirs long ago, this really is a bullshit war of aggression on Visari's part and is basically another move to try and assert power and superiority, ultimately, over Earth. The original goal of the invasion ended with capturing the ISA's Orbital Space Defense Platform to destroy Earth's fleets, blockade them from their outer colonies, and force them into submission, leaving the population of Earth to starve to death while Helghan set up a hegemony over all colonies.

Admiral Grey is just calling it as she sees it and the writing is on the walls.

Sadly, with her capture, the ISA forces in Southern Vekta are in disarray, so this is where Phantom Talon Corp steps in. It's going to become a recurring theme throughout this game that the militaries of Vekta and Helghan are not competent enough to get something of critical importance done, so Earth PMCs wind up getting called in to finish the job.

And here we meet Anders Benoit, the owner and operator of Phantom Talon Corp, the third faction in the game, and Danner's employer. His attitude towards the war is somewhat less nuanced than either Kratek or Grey.

We're gonna get riiiiiiich!!

Aaran Danner was born on Earth to John and Marie Danner, and has a younger sister named Petra. His father had a job as a mineral trader which led to the family travelling around Alpha Centauri quite a bit during Danner's childhood. Sadly, his dad died in a black market deal gone wrong, leaving the teenage Danner to be the breadwinner for his mother and sister. After being caught up in black market trading himself and surviving a few run ins with the law (an assault case brought against him was dismissed), he joined the UCA still in his teens, possibly to avoid gambling debts. He wound up serving in conflicts between Earth and its middle colonies, such as in the Beta Hydri system. After a failed peace-keeping mission in 2351, termed the "Procyon Incident", Danner was dishonourably discharged from the UCA. With few options left for him, he signed on with Anders Benoit to work at Phantom Talon Corp.

Considering that Danner is trained by the UCA, the most powerful army in the known universe, his training puts his skills and abilities above your common ISA and Helghast soldiers. Keep that in mind going through this game. It's not just that Aaran Danner is the protagonist, and thus a badass because he's in the player's hands, but he's on paper in-game better trained than the forces he's against.

Hell yeah!

Colonel Vyktor Kratek was rejected as a Resident Evil villain is yet another super evil Helghast commander. Like most of the Helghast baddies we've met throughout the series, he's ruthless, violent, and devoted to Helghast superiority. Back on Helghan, he ran a refinery developing advanced experimental weapons for the Helghast army. His devotion to the cause saw him be promoted to Colonel by Visari, and shortly afterwards, General Metrac requested his service on Vekta. While Metrac was focussed on capturing the Rayhoven nukes, Kratek turned his focus on capturing Diortem City and Admiral Grey, where, as we've seen in the intro video, he was largely successful.

Voiced by Nicholas Boulton, who, beyond doing "Additonal Helghast Voices" in previous Killzones, did a lot of voicework for Bioware's Mass Effect and Dragon Age series. Kratek will be the main face of the Helghast throughout Mercenary.

ISA Admiral Alex Grey was born into a military family and grew up striving to prove herself to her father and brothers. Top of her class in the Navy Academy, she wound up being appointed First Lieutenant on an ISA crusier, Solar Wind, where she went on to serve with distinction in a number of campaigns, including Delta Pavonis and Omicron Eridani, and also negotiated an end to the Arcturus Insurrection (I have no idea what the fuck any of this is--isn't Killzone fluff great?). She saw the Second Extrasolar War on the horizon and tried to diffuse it diplomatically by sending Sepp Harkin to Helghan as Vekta's ambassador--though as we know, this gesture ultimately failed.

She was in charge of the defense of Diortem, and compared to the defenses of Northern Vekta under General Vaughton, she was initially far more successful. Though as Metrac was turned loose on Southern Vekta, those defense too fell before the massed wave infantry tactics over time. Grey shares that same weird authority role that Admiral Orlock does in Killzone 3, where she's in charge of the navy and yet is charge of ISA ground forces. But hey, with Vaughton dead and the other generals, Adams and Stratson, being horrible traitors, I guess the besieged ISA need to take whatever leader they can get.

Voiced by Lucy Newman-Williams, who has done a number of small roles on shows like Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, as well as films like London Has Fallen.

Anders Benoit is another fellow Earthman. Like Danner, he was enlisted in the UCA. Unlike Danner, he was also special forces. After decades of service, he left it to become a mercenary. Alongside his fellow businessman and ex-UCA soldier, Olive Adamska, they formed the Phantom Talon Corp. Their close ties to the UCA allowed them to recruit many ex-soldiers into the PMC, as well as secure lucrative contracts on Earth. When Phantom Talon Corp became involved in corporate and colonial disputes, they wound up selling themselves to this highest bidder. While this was on point for Benoit's character, it rankled the patriotic Adamska and drove a wedge between the two. The problem solved itself when Adamska was killed in action under mysterious circumstances, leaving Benoit to be sole operator of PTC.

Voiced by Corey Johnson, who did voice work for ISA soldiers in Killzone 2, and has also done a lot of work in bit roles for films, such as Hellboy, Kingsman: Secret Service, and Ex Machina. Benoit is also one of the characters who appears in the live action trailer.

Phantom Talon Corp is the biggest private military contractor currently operating in human space. Run by Anders Benoit, it has a reputation for having the best fighting force money can by, especially considering many of its soldiers are ex-UCA trained. Their slogan, "War is Our Business", is an accurate one. Phantom Talon Corp has no strong loyalty to any government or organization besides itself. Benoit, a former mercenary himself before taking control of PTC, is driven entirely by money and his brothers in arms. The Vekta-Helghan conflict is a lucrative opportunity, one that Benoit will take full advantage of, offering PTC soldiers to the highest bidder, be they Helghast or ISA.

Other PMCs exist in the Killzone universe, aside from PTC. Skull Knight Enterprises is a group closely affiliated with the Helghast, often contracted to provide logistical support and intelligence. Eclipse Forces are an anti-UCN group who look to throw their support in with rebels to stir colonial unrest, making their money off of anti-Earth sentiment. We won't be crossing paths with other PMC groups, but I always like to see that care continues to be put into Killzone lore to add little details like this in the background.

Also, I like that the talons in the logo are bullets.

Sepp Harkin is the Vektan ambassador to Helghan. He was sent at the behest of Admiral Grey to try and maintain peaceful relations between the two planets, but was unsuccessful in his negotiations. Unlike most Vektans, Sepp is pretty sympathetic towards your average Helghast and genuinely wants peace between the nations. Unlike most Vektans, his wife is also Helghast, so that probably helps matters.

Sepp is responsible for getting the warning out to the ISA of Admiral Grey's kidnapping and location. His information has been relayed to Phantom Talon Corp who have been contracted by the ISA to retrieve Grey.

Did you catch this?

This is one of the few times we'll see reference to Jan Templar in this game. If you go back and check video, you can confirm for yourself that it's him fighting on the front lines of the invasion in Killzone 1. :rip: You were not a big enough monster to survive the K I L L Z O N E.

(It's also pretty funny, because the video is listed as "Defence of Diortem", but Templar 100% was fighting in and around Vekta City at that time.)

sally wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:45 am
Look at this shit. You know everything you need to about Harkin and Visari just from the lighting on their portraits.

lol, Killzone games have never been subtle

Image Image

And now with gameplay footage!

First thing's first, we're not Shadow Marshalls, we're mercenaries. It may be standard operating protocol to send a Shadow Marshall into a warzone on their own, but mercs work together. Here we get introduced to our AI partner, Damian Ivanov:

I like how they flash a picture of Ivanov and Danner posing for a photo. What a pair of PMC assholes. But hey, Danner's a silent protagonist so we've got to establish some background for him as a character, I suppose.

Ivanov is a pretty solid dude for a merc. He's not quite the greedy sociopath Benoit has already revealed himself to be. As we get to know him, we'll see there's still some sort of moral compass. Clearly there has to be some seedy background that made Ivanov fall into a mercenary outfit, but we won't find that here. Unlike Danner, though, Ivanov is Vektan, so this mission is a bit more personal for him.

The briefing screens have a lot of neat little details stuffed into them that you don't really notice on your first watch through. For example, despite being in the middle of an invasion, deep in the warzone, right where a commanding officer is, the Helghast presence is fairly light in the Hall of Justice. It isn't until the very end of the mission that their reinforcements start coming in waves and they can send in a tank, but even then it's only one. Glancing at the map here, you can see there are ISA forces currently engaged outside of the Hall of Justice--probably the very same ISA forces who have been trying but failing to rescue Admiral Grey this whole time. It's not explicitly pointed out in the briefing, but it's a nice detail. It certainly explains why everyone in the hall is just kinda bored, sitting around doing guard duty, and there's no real armour sent in to prevent your escape.

We get a neat satellite view of Pyrrhus when our unfortunately named Vektan Ambassador's clip comes on to tell us that Grey is still alive. That would mean that the river we're seeing is the Corinth, so that's a nice shout back to the first half of Killzone 2.

When we jump back to Diortem and we get the plot MacGuffin that ties together Mercenary and Shadow Fall: chemical weapons.

Admiral Grey is in charge of Diortem's weapon's facility and it just so happens that they've been working on super fast-acting chemical weapons for deployment against the Helghast. Being that you're a mercenary, I love that they just gloss over this. Benoit mentions she runs the facility, you see a quick animation of a chemical payload being inserted into a missile, and the briefing moves on. The game doesn't bat an eye at the moral implications. There's no opportunity for Danner to raise his hand and say, "Uh, hold on, do we really want to be rescuing this particular person?"

After all, you're a silent protagonist. And being a mercenary, your silence is your complicity.

Grabbed a shot of our Vektan "Hall of Justice" here. I like to think it's a shout out to Mad Max, what with the decay of the building and the implication that carries onto that justice system:

But it's more likely that this is a reference to DC Comics:

Considering the placement near water, the latter makes most sense. Of course the Vektans would like to think of themselves as superheroes, right?

Anyways, the game starts out in a building a few blocks from the Hall of Justice. This small area serves at a tutorial for some of the game's mechanics. It even has the HUD disabled so that the map doesn't disorientate new players--I guess? Or maybe they wanted one less area to have to render a map for? Regardless. After some stabbing and shooting and climbing, we are introduced to the best character in the game.

A box.

Well, it's who talks to us remotely while we're rummaging through the box that is most important, but still. Meet Blackjack! This guy appears everywhere. Seriously, he has saturated every inch of every active warzone with dozens of his fucking boxes. How did he do it? Who knows! Why didn't we notice them in previous Killzone games? Who cares! It's great for Danner, though, because it means we can always be spending our sweet cash on sweeter weapons. Every time you come across one of his boxes I recommend you pop one open. He has a pithy comment for just about every one. A lot of the time it's just some crack about guns and making money, but as you get further in a mission he'll start commenting directly on what Danner is doing.

Blackjack is well informed. VERY well informed. He probably has tracking devices in everything he sells to Danner. He certainly is keeping abreast of high level ISA, Helghast, and Phantom Talon officials. Every once in a while he'll comment on something that he really shouldn't know about. It isn't Danner confiding in him, no--not our silent chunk of Earthman! Blackjack just knows things. It makes for an interesting gameplay dynamic, because when you are shopping you really shut out the world. It's funny that they bother to explain it away with a cloaking device so that we can pretend the rest of the world is continuing on, but really, this is effectively a pause in gameplay. Whatever Blackjack may want us to believe, when Danner opens a box the outside world ceases to exist for a moment. It's as if we are going into Danner's inner-psyche, the outside world frozen while we explore the inner depths. Only problem is, all that's inside Danner's head are guns, explosives, and a chatty arms dealer.

The tutorial ends with a prompt to help each other up. This is kind of a bait and switch. Anyone familiar with Killzone will recognize this as a common way to keep the player from exiting a "kill zone" and it was used often in the second and third games. It happens here, but honestly, it doesn't happen anywhere else. This is kind of a nice call back to the previous games, one of many that Mercenary does, but it's not one that gets leaned on as a major gameplay tool. So, uh, enjoy it! We won't be seeing it again.

Also, here's the best glimpse you'll get at their awful tattoos. Awful tattoos for awful people, I guess.

Thank goodness the wingsuit transition isn't a mini on-rails vehicle segment. There's enough of those in Killzone 2 and 3 that just felt so very, very token. Halo: Reach did the same thing with the sudden space flight section--never liked that. Maybe it was an early 2010s thing? Eh. This is a turnaround on my stance on it when I first tried to LP this, so I suppose I'm just getting more crotchety with unskippable video segments.

This is a flashy transition regardless. We get a nice view of Diortem City, see how fucked up everything is, and Guerrilla Cambridge show off what the Vita can do.

After shuffling about the upper floor of the Hall of Justice with Ivanov, we make our way to the Control Room. After flushing out the office, we interrogate him:

I included this shot just because of the ridiculous amount of clipping. I'm pretty sure he's already dead Danner! Anyways, I don't capture every clip, but the officers have unique dialogue depending on their intel. This officer chokes out "I HAVE THE ORDERS FROM THE FLEET!" before having his neck snapped, netting us the "Signal from the Fleet" intel. The guy we flush out of the Command Centre shouts "THIS IS WHY WE FIGHT!!". Fittingly, his intel is the "Why We Fight" text which you can read down in the intel section below. It's some pretty clear Helghast propaganda. A lot of nice flavour text comes from the intel, so I strongly urge everyone to read through those at the end of each update.

These shots I included because we kinda glossed over them entirely in the video. Ivanov has his own Brutal Melee system! If a Helghoon gets up close to him, he'll go in for the kill:

Just a nice detail I wanted to make sure we immortalized.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't point out this bit of gameplay: security cameras. The blue arc shows you their line of sight. Get caught in that and they turn red, alerting your presence to the many nearby enemies by setting off the alarm--which in turn summons reinforcements. They can be disabled in two ways: straight up destroying them or neutralizing them with VAN-Guard tech. The former is more permanent, but if you don't have a silenced weapon, it'll give you position away. VAN-Guard tech is reliable, but if you're using the JAMR then enemies will notice something up anyways once their RADAR goes offline. Still, cash bonus for shooting them, so there's never a reason NOT to.

This is probably the single most elaborate bit of intel in the game. Guerrilla Cambridge probably wanted to show off with this first level by really giving you a lot of different choices. You get options in later levels, of course, but they really went all out with this one. Like I say, no other piece of intel is as elaborate as this one.

First you have to open up this vent.

To do this, you gotta climb up a pipe in a debris filled room and turn this: a Killzone 2-style valve. Unfortunately, there's no SixAxis controls for the PS Vita TV, so we use the onscreen prompts (on a proper Vita, I assume it's touch screen controls).

Turning the valve makes a bunch of noise which brings a bunch of Helghoons down on you. Whatever. Kill them, toss a gas grenade in the vent, and the officer is forced out of the Command Centre. You don't want to run in while the gas is still visible, because you'll injure yourself. This makes it hard to get behind the officer, so your best bet is to tranq him, meaning you need to make sure you've purchased and equipped that particular gun. Then, and only then, can you brutally interrogate and murder him for those precious collectibles.

I miss when Killzone was just about killing. Every time they've tried to add collectibles into the games, it feels like unnecessary gamefication. At least with Mercenary here, this added collectible hunt makes perfect sense from an in universe perspective. Of COURSE going out of your way to collect useless trivia would be worth Danner's while, 'cause Phantom Talon Corps will pay him for it! So really, Danner being a disgusting, murderous fuckhead makes him the truest Killzone protagonist.

In the Command Centre, you can spot Grey held in the interrogation room. What we can't see from here is the other room full of ISA soldiers and bio-engineered supervirus.

Rappelling down the side of the Hall of Justice, we're alerted by Ivanov of a crashing Helghast cruiser.

It's just a bit of background noise at the moment, but when I say to pay attention to it in the video, I'm not kidding. Spoiler alert: that's our next mission! But we'll get there when we get there.

Born on the outer colonies on a planet settled by Eastern Europeans, Blackjack was a bright child who grew up with an affinity for technology. In his younger years, he gained notoriety for launching several cyber attacks against Earth. When Earth launched its campaigns against its middle colonies, he slowly cultivated a network of contacts, going from a minor weapons dealer, to someone who traded in the most advanced military technology in the galaxy. His ultimate motive is profit. Blackjack has no concerns with selling to either side of a conflict, frequently trading with Earth, ISA, and the Helghast. He also funds several of the Killzone universe's mercenary outfits, including Eclipse Forces, Skull Knight Enterprises, and Phantom Talon Corp. I mean, especially Phantom Talon Corp. They're the biggest, have the most money, and aren't afraid to spend it.

He's great. I love Blackjack. He's so unrepentantly in love with his job. It's just that his job is war profiteering and arms sales.

Welp.

Ivanov, like Danner, was former UCA. Unlike Danner, he was born and grew up on Vekta, rather than Earth. While in the UCA, the two formed a bond, and when it was time to cut ties, they joined Phantom Talon Corp together. Not much to say about Ivanov otherwise. Seems like a decent enough dude. He's cheery, tends to prefer a stealthier approach, but never complains when his buddy Danner goes in loud. They both have awful arm tattoos, constantly wear aviators, and have beards. Ivanov's is better thought. Ivanov's beard rocks.

Gonna jump back to the tutorial building for this. Take a look at that. Even with the HUD map disabled, this is one crowded screen. The field of view isn't fantastic either, but hey, it's a Killzone and a handheld. The large icons are a holdover because playing the game on the handheld you'll want to use the touchscreen. I suppose the best I can say for it is that you get used to it.

Upper left hand corner always displays your current rank in the game and your online card, but most importantly, it always displays you cash. For a game that incentivizes the gameplay as much as this one, it's important to be able to see that those numbers constantly going up.

The Brutal Melee system from Killzone 3 returns here. Melee in general was an absolute joke and terrible in the first game, rightfully abandoned in the second (resulting in much hilarity, being as it was replaced by the overpowered Rambo knife), and returned as awkward, but functional action in the third game. It is this awkward but functional mechanic that we get here. As before, meleeing someone is an instakill, however, it locks you into an animation. If you aren't aware of your surroundings, you can get shot dead while trying to stab a dude. As seen in the video, if the gameplay geometry isn't agreeing with your position, it can cause weird things to happen where you flail your knife in the air and the enemy dies regardless. I'm pretty sure I've said this before at some point, but just in case: I hate having the melee attack tied to an uninterruptible animation. I prefer the way it's done in games like Halo, but hey, here we are.

It's functional, but awkward.

I can't speak for how effective the touchpad controls are for confirming each attack. The joystick commands work well enough. It's a nice touch where if you mess it up the enemy has the chance to counter. Doesn't get away from how awkward it is. Still, you'll see me stab a lot of dudes because it's a very effective way of taking them out.

In each mission there are six pieces of intel. Three of them come from hacking a location while another three come from interrogating an officer. Each is accompanied by a pithy remark from Blackjack. I've got three of them here for now... the other three will come with the part 2 of this update:

Signal From The Fleet

"Win or lose, seems the Higs don't mean to go home empty handed. This could have BIG impact on business - see if you can find out more."
—Blackjack

This is the first piece of intel we find in the game! It's essentially mandatory, being the intel you get from that quasi-tutorial section where Ivanov directs you to interrogate the Helghast officer. Note the reference to "hazmat teams" in this bit of intel. They've exhausted nukes and petrusite as super weapons in the previous games, so Mercenary (and Shadow Fall) are all about the chemical weapons.
SIGNAL FROM CRUISER AC-15 TO DIORTEM COMMAND CENTER
LIEUTENANT ORBECK, FIRST OFFICER

We are inbound to your position. Estimated arrival, five hours from the time of this transmission.

The cargo bay has been readied to take on board weapons and equipment seized from the ISA research labs in Diortem. Secure containment will be provided for biohazard materials. Note that a full inventory of all materiel will be required in advance.

High Command has ordered that we extract this cargo from the combat zone as a matter of urgency. Please have hazmat teams standing by ready to commence loading as soon as we dock.

SUPPLEMENTAL

All transmissions between the fleet and ground forces should continue to be encrypted. The latest encryption codes have been downloaded to all comms servers.

For the Emperor!

— Lieutenant Orbeck, First Officer, HGC
AC-15
Briefing #573968

"ISA should have seen this invasion coming. Visari, he is crazy like mad dog -- bite MUCH worse than his bark. "
—Blackjack

Found in the upper levels of the Hall of Justice, where we wingsuit into and where the previous intel is found. It's on a terminal attached to a massive computer bank. It's found by walking outside of a broken window near where you rappel down to the lower floors. Walk along the edge of the building and into the adjacent room and there it is.

For anyone unfamiliar with Killzone, the Helghast and the ISA are both huge assholes. There are two bits of intel in this first mission that sort of describes this whole situation. This bit here is from the Vektan point of view.
VEKTAN MINISTRY OF INFORMATION,
BRIEFING #573968

THE HELGHAST VIEW OF HISTORY - A DANGEROUS FICTION

The Helghast sense of themselves as a nation, and their claims to Vekta, are based upon two powerful though apparently contradictory myths.

THE HELGHAST AS VICTIMS

The Helghast insist that their ancestors were the original colonists of planet Vekta, forced into exile by an oppressive Earth regime. This ignores the fact that they used their strategic position to exert a stranglehold on trade and the flow of resources throughout the Alpha Centauri system, finally declaring independence from Earth rule. Only then was force used against them. the ISA intervening to secure peace and prosperity for all colonies in the system.

Attempts at reconciliation were met by guerrilla warfare, terrorist acts claiming the lives of innocent civilians alongside ISA troops stationed on Vekta to maintain law and order. When the campaign of terror failed, those behind it chose to resettle on the mineral-rich planet of Helghan, and were allowed to do so unimpeded. Any hardships they suffered as a result were entirely self-inflicted.

THE MASTER RACE

The harsh conditions on Helghan had undeniable physical effects on the settlers. But the psychological impact was even more profound, feelings of isolation growing over successive generations to become a sense of 'othemess'.

The genius of Scolar Visari was to deine this othemess as superiority. Appointing himself Emperor following a military coup, he shaped age-old feelings of grievance into a sense of purpose, making it clear the Helghast would take by might what they considered theirs by right.

He began by disrupting the flow of essential resources from Helghan to Vekta and the other planets. Low level black market trading was rapidly replaced by the full-scale diversion of energy and materials to the unaligned colonies, once again threatening the security of the star system.

This was accompanied by a massive expansion of the Helghast war machine. Admiral Alex Grey, who represented the ISA at the Peace Commission chaired by Ambassador Sepp Harkin, argued that this could be a show of force to strengthen the Helghast negotiating position. But the failure of these negotiations. combined with Visari's extreme rhetoric and brutal repression of dissent at home, suggests otherwise.

Now as before, the ISA must be vigilant in defense of the freedoms of the entire star system.

Ministry of Information, Vekta City, January 2356
Why We Fight

"These Helghast have big chip on shoulder. But they were treated like shit too. Pah, there's no right or wrong here - just winners and losers."
—Blackjack

This is the other piece of propaganda that tells a bit about why the Helghast and ISA are at war, except it's from the Helghast point of view. You get this bit of intel from interrogating the officer in the control room--the one you have to flush out with the gas grenade.

Blackjack gives the most accurate summation the ISA and Helghast have ever received in any Killzone game.
Helghast Soldier's Oath Of Allegiance

"My duty to the Emperor. My life for Helghan."

The Helghast soldier carries these truths with him into battle:

- The absolute justice of the Helghast cause
- The superior might of Helghast forces
- The inevitalbility of Helghast victory

He remembers the events that gave birth to our nation and forged our people:

The Great Betrayal, 2200 - 2204

Our forefathers, the original settlers of Vekta, nurtured the planet into a powerful and prosperous home world. But when they sought independence from the oppression of colonial rule, Earth used the forces of the Interplanetary Strategic Alliance [ISA], the military arm of it's imperial control, to crush all resistance.

The ISA seized control of Vekta, and those settlers who were not imprisoned suffered further oppression. In desperation, they sought leave to resettle on the bleak mining world of Helghan.

The Great Exodus, 2204 - 2340

A massive fleet carried millions into exile on Helghan. Many perished but the strongest survived, the bodies of successive generations adapting to the harsh climate and toxic atmosphere. Even so, the wearing of masks was mandatory and became emblematic of our people.

Over more than a century, Helghan became the major producer of energy and minerals for the star system. But Vekta controlled all trade and enjoyed the lion's share of the wealth it created. The people of Helghan were ready for a visionary new leader to show them the way forward.

The Great Leader, 2340 - 2357

Emperor Visari gave the people of Helghan pride in their past and belief in their future. He declared that we are no longer humans: our sufferings on Helghan have forged us into a superior new race, the Helghast. He rebuilt our military, putting an end to Vektan exploitation and declaring that the masters will become the slaves.

"We will take by force what is ours by right. We will prevail. For Helghan."

There are a LOT of weapons in Mercenary, so I'll be trying to rotate through a bunch in each mission so we can see them all. Over the course of an hour, I also realizes that I cycle through a whole bunch, so surprise! You get a bit of an ammo dump, so to speak. Most of them are returning guns.

VC32 Sniper Rifle

Cost: 10,000V

Ideal for long range covert encounters due to the fitted silencer. Relatively low damage means headshots are required for reliable one-hit-kills.

Semi-auto and silenced. If you want to do a covert stealth run with a sniper rifle, this is what you have to take. It's low damage output kind of sucks, which means you'll HAVE to get headshots if you want to keep a low profile. I'm not a fan of it, partially because I don't have time for such a weak gun. I mean, it's fine. Really, it is. But the other sniper rifles have so much more OOMPH to them! Furthermore, if I'm going to do a stealth run, I'd much rather have the silenced Helghast Assault Rifle. Sure, it doesn't shoot as far, but if I'm doing a stealth run I tend to try and get closer to enemies anyways to get melee kills when I can. In that situation, it's a much better complement. Again, it's fine. Not actually a bad gun. Doesn't fit my play style, though, so you won't see it much.

Dunno why I had it paired with a rocket launcher.

Oh well.

VC9 Rocket Launcher

Cost: 5100V

Single shot laucher firing high damage explosive rockets. Free firing [does not require lock-on].

If you're going to have a rocket launcher, I much prefer the fire and forget type. Great for land armour and infantry. Not so great for moving air targets. Helghast dropship unloading troops? Great. Drones and gunships? Ha, not so much. A solid choice, but as with other explosive weaponry, the VAN-Guard techs often make it obsolete. If you need a VAN-Guard that doesn't blow things up fast, this makes a good complement to your load-out, so there's that.

M194 Frag Grenade

Cost: 3000V

Disperses deadly shrapnel over a wide explosion radius. Can be cooked to shorten fuse time.

The standard ISA frag grenade. Does what it always has. I kind of love that the design has remained consistent throughout the entire series what with the little LED counter on the side. It's good. I like it. I generally take it on my loadouts.

STA-52SE Silenced Assault Rifle

Cost: 9000V

A high rate of fire and large clip size give the advantge when facing multiple targets. Fitted with a silencer and red dot sight.

The classic Helghast assault rifle returns as well. But of all things, it's been fitted with a silencer. As weird as it is, this works out well for the gun. It's a great stealth assault rifle, as oxymoronic as that sounds. The STA-52's range and accuracy have never been good as the ISA's equivalent, neither has it had the same stopping power. It's clip size has always seemed to be it's biggest advantage, especially when they took away the alt-fire in later games. With the silencer, it's all kind of fitting. Solid gun. Great primary when going stealth, though for some maps it's still better to hold onto a sniper rifle.

M2 Tranquilizer Pistol

Cost: 9500V

This non-lethal pistol fires toxin-laced darts. Enemy targets will be incapacitated for a short time, creating opportunities for interrogations.

This gun really only exists to make interrogations easier--which is a good thing! Sometimes it's way too difficult to stealthily clear a room AND sneak up on an officer. It's easier to tranq the officer, massacre the room, then interrogate them for intel before the effect wears off. Plus, the psychological effect of being questioned by a creepy Earth merc in a room full of recently ventilated soldiers has got to be significant, right?

Once you have all of the game's intel, there's really no reason to use this anymore unless a mission objective demands it or if you want to farm up cash faster with mercy kills--though the game is so happy with cash that it's not really necessary.

VC-G11 Gas Grenade

Cost: 6600V

Releases a lethal concoction of cytotoxic and vesicant chemical warfare agents to produce an area of denial gas cloud.

And here we are, we've gotten to the Visari Corporation's grenade and OF COURSE it's a war crime weapon. This is not a smoke grenade, but a "if you inhale enough you will die" grenade. I'm not a fan. Outside of this one use in the first mission for an alternate objective, there's not really much to do with it. I guess it's an area denial kinda thing, but there's not a need for it when there are so many other better weapons.

Nearly every enemy that appears in Killzone: Mercenary is from a previous game. You'll see a couple of new soldiers and I'll have additional info for those, otherwise you'll get a quick run down on their danger level and best way to deal with them, if it's necessary.

Standard Helghoons

Yer bog standard Helghast. Good at working together to flank you and are very grenade happy--so, your standard Helghast. They're much the same as you remember from previous games. Honestly at this point, I've not much more to say about them.

Helghast Commando

These are the big grouchy-looking shotgun guys. Slightly slower and more armoured than standard Helghoons, they are still weak to bullets and will go down with sustained fire. They're a danger when they get in close, though, so don't let them close the gap.

Helghast Officers

They're the guys we want to torture for that glorious collectible intel. They look kinda like the shock troopers from previous games, complete with the trench coats--only they have much nicer hats. If you're ever stuck trying to find them, they're the ones that look the most like Nazi SS offiers.

No new vehicles have shown up yet! A lot of this is, once again, repeat information, so I'm not going to bombard you with a lot of retreading. I will say that so far we have seen: ISA Cruisers, Helghast Cruisers, Intruder Dropships, Overlord Dropships, and a Helghast Tank. Except to see more cruisers--they're sort of omnipresent in the background. The Overlords and Intruders will also be a mainstay. Overlords, of course, being what are going to airdrop Helghast troops. Intruders happen to be Phantom Talon Corp's dropship of choice. Hard to say if that's just 'cause Benoit is being bankrolled by the ISA or not. I imagine cost is an issue. It's probably more expensive to buy an Overlord, considering how much more armour they have. Certainly, the open air platform of the Intruder makes for a more exciting trip. That would fit Benoit's cavalier attitude...

Larger shot of final Aaran Danner design.

Alternative Danners.

Danner early designs.

Danner in-game model.

Note that the DC Comics Hall of Justice is in turn a reference to Cincinnati Union Terminal, an Art Deco train station / museum complex in Cincinnati Ohio. It's a beautiful building, and you should pay a visit if you're ever in the area (and if going places ever becomes a thing again).

huh no kidding! my research didn't take me that deep--thanks for pointing that out! i'll add that factoid to the post when i am sat at a proper PC.

cheers!