Doom (2016) - He's Finally Back to Kick Some Tail

Put your Let's Plays in here.
KeiraWalker wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm
That is exactly the case, Carpator Diei. If you have armor, the armor gauge absorbs all damage until it is depleted, at which point your health starts going down. It's not damage reduction like in the original Doom games.
Thanks for the explanation :keke: I have to admit, it always seems a bit weird to me when armor is basically just a second health bar, but depending on resource distribution it could be interesting in terms of gameplay, I suppose.
JigglyJacob wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:32 pm
[Under his leadership, Argent technology exploded.
Why do I get the feeling that this is not entirely a metaphor?

KeiraWalker wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm
That is exactly the case, Carpator Diei. If you have armor, the armor gauge absorbs all damage until it is depleted, at which point your health starts going down. It's not damage reduction like in the original Doom games.
It's a bit of an odd way to do it (why not just give more health after all) but like some other things part of me imagines it was an extreme over-correction from how the armor worked in Doom 3. It was damage reduction rather than just another health bar but the way the math worked it meant that at full armor and full health you would die with something like 70 armor or something left. That made armor feel the exact opposite of Doom 2016, completely pointless.

God I love the turret mod for the chain gun.

I love that in previous games, the chaingun is just a bullet hose, but in Doom 2016, it can turn into a bullet tsunami :allears:

:toot: This year's Cacowards are out! :toot:

Quite a colourful selection, in multiple ways.

Sam's a Bot From Guy himself.

[Part 8 - Bickering Professionals]

Advanced Research Complex
Construction of the Advanced Research Complex was completed in MTC 2136. This vast state-of-the-art research, design and production center uses cutting-edge technology and fabrication techniques to prototype everything from robotics to weaponry to sub-space communication systems. The building security, life support and day to day operations are almost entirely managed by VEGA, the Argent Facility's in-house Artificial Intelligence mainframe. Due to the highly sensitive nature of the research being conducted at the ARC, the entire superstructure is essentially a Faraday cage to prevent any unauthorized communication beyond its walls.

The ARC is the birthplace of several breakthrough study fields, including BFG development, teleporation research and cybernetic augmentation. This bastion of advanced thought attracts the brightest minds in the scientific community, and is considered humanity's "brain-trust".

Advanced Research Complex
Tier 3 Manifest

Welcome, Tier 3 advocates. You have elevated yourself to the next level of thinking. Your previous notions have been cleansed by science, and you see things now as they truly are. The true power of Argent Energy, under the stewardship of the UAC, will drive us into the next age of mankind. No more secrets, no more hiding. Your journey towards the final Tier begins now.

Our understanding of pandimensional existence grows each day. As we begin to realize the true power that flows from Hell, we are changed into something much greater than we ever though possible. Your life as a Tier 3 advocate is more than just the work you perform. Spiritual understanding of who we are and what we are meant to become grows with each artifact you catalogue, each weapon you prototype, and each heretic you convert. The FEAR of Hell is seen for what it really is: False Emotions Appearing Real.

You have opened your mind.

Samuel Hayden II (Posted Samuel Hayden III earlier by mistake. Here's II)
UAC REPORT FILE T989XB08

Before Samuel Hayden "died", he completed detailed instructions and designs for a new body: a bionic automaton with a plasmatronic processing core (a biomechanical brain). Samuel instructed that his frontal and temporal lobes were to remain intact, but the functions of his parietal and occipital lobes were to be bypassed and networked to the plasmatronic core. Samuel's personality, memories, reasoning and comprehension would be carried over to his new framework, but his perception and calculation would become supercharged. Powered by Argent Caches (and later by an Argent Accumulator), the cybernetic transference was a success. Samuel returned, bigger, stronger, and more formidable than before in a 3-meter-tall mechanoid body. When his decision to choose such a mammoth mechanical physique was questioned, Samuel responded "Dedicating the future of mankind is dangerous work. You never know when we may need a hero."

Stem cells and neural conditioning agents keep his organic matter (specifically, his brain) constantly rejuvenating. He has "existed" for over 130 years now, and it is presumed his lifespan will be indefinite.

It is said that his body has long since passed but his soul will live on forever.

Cyber-Mancubus I
UAC REPORT FILE K2V693Z5

The Mancubus strain of demon has long been a subject of fascination among Lazarus Project scientists. Eager to understand the biology of these creatures, a team of biogeneticists (led by Dr. Pierce herself) was formed to research and manipulate the behavior and effect of the creatures.

Chaingun
Gatling Rotator

This 3rd party modification overrides the crucible release safety, allowing the weapon to fire immediately without waiting for maximum rotation. This action, while allowing for instant use, does prolong the time it takes to reach full speed. This modification is unapproved by the UAC.

BFG-9000
BFG II

The theoretical design for the BFG-9000 was first put forward by the R&D department in the Advanced Research Complex, and the concept was later given its own funding program. The BFG Division was formed to develop a working design. Several prototype weapons have since been made. The prototypes never went into full production due to numerous testing accidents and the deadly radiation spikes produced. Previous versions of the weapon had slightly different energy patterns to the current generation. Some released solitary Argent spheres that unleash a deadly wave upon impact, others formed an Argent laser that cuts through anything in its path. The current prototype, the BFG-9000, creates Argent streams that seek out targets and boils them alive.

BFG-9000
BFG III

Advocates!

Witness the BFG-9000. What greater triumph for the glory of the Ascension could there be than an entirely new type of weapon, born not only of traditional UAC technology, but by your faith and dedication to the cause? This is what we strive for - an understanding beyond traditional science, unrestrained by the repressive thinking of dimensionally bound contemplation. Only through our use of SEFT can the power of such a mighty weapon be realized. Such a weapon requires not only science, but BELIEF.

While access to the BFG-9000 is strictly limited to Tier 3 advocates, you are encouraged to envision the day you might get to see the magnificence of its design, and if you are luckier still, experience the invigorating touch of its majestic form of Argent Energy.

BFG-9000
BFG I

When correctly charged, ionized, and compressed, deadly packets of Argent Energy can be released in a controlled manner at a velocity and potential energy quota far exceeding conventional weapons. The weaponization of Argent Energy led to the development and mass production of the Plasma Rifle, but the UAC realized they were capable of much more.

The BFG-9000 is the culmination of those efforts. Only one prototype of the final weapon exists, and it is housed deep within the ARC in the BFG Division. This weapon delivers streams of supercharged Argent Energy to multiple targets, and is to some extent self-guiding. The streams will seek any cache of Argent it can find - usually demons (or human test subjects that have had Argent beacons surgically implanted). When the streams find their target, they released all of their stored energy in a fraction of second, delivering an electrical shock that instantly boils the blood and fatty tissue of the recipient. Spontaneous explosion of the subject often follows.

It's a mark of shame that someone decides to name the BFG and the best they come up with is "bioforce gun." That said it was a very good decision to give the BFG its own button.

We recorded this two weeks ago when I was a quarter asleep, so I can't remember for the life of me why Jacob titled this part that.

ThornBrain wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:01 pm

We recorded this two weeks ago when I was a quarter asleep, so I can't remember for the life of me why Jacob titled this part that.
Y'all'll know why

As soon as I saw that rune my brain went "...what?" As in, surely it couldn't be that easy. And yeah there's enough damage flying around to go below 100 armor fairly quickly as long as you aren't using the chaingun or gauss cannon (despite the obvious power in that) then you can do a whole lot until you have taken that damage.

Well, that certainly is a way to make armor relevant.

On an unrelated note, I just saw this compilation of footage from the scrapped original version of Doom 4. Would've been very different indeed, but some assets like the Imp and the Super Shotgun were pretty much just carried over into Doom 2016. Curious if we'll see anything else from that video in this game or Eternal.

Have a helly, jelly Christmas as we trod over gigantic corpses

The trajectory of Doomguy in 2016 and Eternal always makes me think of Lo Wang (though also everything surrounding him) from Shadow Warrior 2013 to Shadow Warrior 2. For a character named Lo Wang and in a game about killing demons in a variety of ways he and his supporting character had actual character arcs and everything in 2013. There was still plenty of dumb jokes and terrible sarcasm but what was treated seriously came together very well. But come Shadow Warrior 2 everything devolved into a dumb joke (and the game also somewhat devolved into Borderlands 2 so that fits). 2016 to Eternal never steps off the same kind of sheer cliff as Shadow Warrior 2 but around the same time as the game makes you actually listen to Hayden is when things slowly stop being quite as good.

Luckily I found the shootin' and punchin' to never lose its luster so I guess that puts me in the "lore is nice and I don't hate it but I can ignore it?" camp.

Hey, folks! Semi-update regarding our upcoming LP of Doom Eternal.

Doom Eternal has a lot more significant cutscenes than Doom 2016, where most of the dialogue is just giving you an excuse to do what you do in the level, rather than telling a complete narrative. Eternal has more cutscenes, more dialogue, and a greater focus on actual plot, so I'm wondering if you folks would prefer there be an "uncut" and an "edited" version of the LP.

I personally don't watch "edited" LP's so my bias makes my input on the matter kinda moot, so I want y'all to help me decide! Would you prefer there be an "edited" version with the commentary cut from the cutscenes, or do you not really have a strong preference one way or the other?

I'd really appreciate your input! https://strawpoll.com/bqpp7pv28

Also, I'll be posting the codex entries for parts 9 and 10 here soon. Sorry about the delay!

Carpator Diei wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:23 pm
Well, that certainly is a way to make armor relevant.

On an unrelated note, I just saw this compilation of footage from the scrapped original version of Doom 4. Would've been very different indeed, but some assets like the Imp and the Super Shotgun were pretty much just carried over into Doom 2016. Curious if we'll see anything else from that video in this game or Eternal.
There's definitely some stuff early in the video, location assets and concept artwork/renders, that look very familiar from having played Eternal. So yeah, I think so.

Jacob: I do appreciate it when given the option for edited or uncut commentary, and I usually lean toward edited when I haven't played the game, or just want to watch the cutscenes intact. That said, if it turns out to be too much bloody work, I don't think anyone's going to complain if you decide to just leave the videos unedited.

[Part 9 - The Unholy Diaper]

Siphon Grenade
The Siphon Grenade was designed to work with the Doom Marine's Praetor suit - specifically to make use of the Argent receptors found in the gloves and chest plates.

The grenade has 3 stages. When primed, the grenade releases a positively charged particle field around itself and the operator's hand. Then, when the grenade is released and explodes it releases a negatively charged particle field, over a distance of a few meters. The negatively charged particles attract Argent plasma from any demon caught in the radius, tearing the plasma from their cells. Finally, the positively charged Praetor suit then attracts the negatively charged Argent cloud, and gathers the plasma. This siphons energy back into the suit, partially healing the Doom Marine.

Lazarus Labs
An Important Message

Fellow disciple, this message has been sent to you in recognition of your service to the Lazarus Project. I am Olivia Pierce. You have been granted the highest level of clearance we allow at the Lazarus Project, and as such you are expected to partake in all rituals, sacrifices and vivisection programs (both demon and human) as requested - whether as a practitioner of the dark arts or as a patient of a cleansing. As we work tirelessly to open the gates to Hell, remember our mantra: "The science will cleanse us."

Our recent expedition to the Great Steppe resulted in the retrieval of new tablets which will help us further decode the Helix Stone. I must reiterate again the importance of fully decoding this stone. The scriptures tell us that it holds the key to both realizing our future and destroying us - so we must know it before the enemy. The enemy will come and we must be ready. While we are decoding the latest artifacts and relics, there will be no rest, no leave and no sleep. We must succeed. Our lives mean nothing. Opening the gate is everything.

Elite Guards
Decoded Entry 002

UAC employees are advised to comply with any orders received from an Elite Guard. Their jurisdiction is absolute, answering only to the highest level executives of the UAC. If an Elite Guard kindly requests that you accompany them to the Lazarus Labs, you will be going to the Lazarus Labs.

With such powerful capabilities in each Elite Guard, it was deemed necessary to implant a kill chip in each uniform so that they might also be controlled should an uprising occur among their ranks. The kill chip responds to a Lazarus Wave signature that can only be broadcast by Samuel Hayden or Olivia Pierce.

Plasma Rifle
Heat Blast

A copper crucible attached to the focusing lens of the Plasma Rifle absorbs residual thermal energy from the weapon and can discharge it instantly by transferring the heat to a borosilicate diffusion chamber. This creates a heat wave from the end of the weapon that causes localized damage and sometimes creates a pressure wave that will knock back targets. The crucible recharges with normal use of the weapon. While the operator of the weapon is partially shielded from the charge, it is recommended that a thermal protection uniform (such as the X suit prototypes) be worn while operating this modification.

Cyberdemon
Specimen CD587-1
UAC REPORT FILE XCZOUYYZ

The Corrax tablets discovered during the UAC Automated Survey of 2143 mention an ancient battle in the Titan's Realm during the third age. An expedition to the plains recovered several relics including the petrified remains of a massive shadow lord believed to be an ancient Baalgar demon. Researchers in the Lazarus Labs began work on piecing the creature back together. At first the project mandate was to construct an educational and inspirational exhibit. However, the focus quickly shifted when an attempt to meld the petrified tissue uncovered that exposure to small doses of plasmatic Argent Energy would reanimate the relic. The potential of creating living, growing tissue from the relic and the lure of an ultimate battle demon was too enticing to - pass up. The project team quickly shifted direction and began work on melding the ancient remains with high tech weaponry.

Olivia Pierce II
UAC REPORT FILE UQ3PJQEP

Samuel saw Olivia as a protege. He sponsored her during her formal graduation, and was the driving force behind her promotion to the Global Science Council. Olivia made her fortune as one of the founders of the NanoStruct Aerospace & Defense Systems, in part thanks to a sizeable donation from Samuel. Olivia's career blossomed, and Samuel eventually offered her the freedom to design and run her own cutting edge laboratory by joining the UAC. Olivia refused, citing that she had no interest in "the energy business."

When Olivia did finally leave NanoStruct it came as a shock to the scientific community. She relinquished a position of sizeable power and control to work at an isolated outpost 140 million miles from earth. A former colleague of Olivia's at NanoStruct stated that Samuel sent her an artifact recovered near the Argent Fracture, after which she became obsessed with joining the UAC. A few weeks later, she accepted the offer and became the leader of the Lazarus Project, working directly under Samuel Hayden.

Cyberdemon
Specimen CD587-2
UAC REPORT FILE RRNOR75J

During the Cyberdemon Reanimation Project, the beast was kept alive by controlling the amount of plasmatic Argent Energy it retrieved. This kept the beast in an effectively "brain-dead" state while additional components were cybernetically implanted. A neural pathway was created between the creature's brain and the Argent Accumulator, allowing the creature to administer Argent power to any part of its body as needed. In hindsight, this neural pathway was a mistake as once the pathway was activated the dormant beast immediately administered an Argent surge to the medulla oblongata, which allowed it to restore motor function. Once active, the circulatory system quickly restored and the beast achieved full motor function within a few minutes. It is only through the bravery of Follower Jacobson that the beast was contained. Follower Jacobson willingly gave his own life as bait when he lured the giant Cyberdemon into holding pen 6, where it could be contained. Unfortunately, there was no way to retrieve Jacobson once the doors has been bolted, and he was sacrificed.

A report following the incident suggested that this act was not instinct by the Cyberdemon, but rather a suggestion of a greater intelligence governing the will of any creature demon borne - a "mastermind" of sorts. Research on this theory continues.

[Part 10 - Titanic]

Slayer's Testament IV
UAC REPORT FILE I3S5A9XB

The age of his reckoning was uncounted. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell across eons, and each battle etched terror in the hearts of the demons. They knew he would come, as he always had, as he always will, to feast on the blood of the wicked. For he alone could draw strength from his fallen foes, and ever his power grew, swift and unrelenting.

Gauss Cannon
Precision Bolt

A standard telescopic sight can be placed on the Gauss Cannon, allowing for even greater accuracy at long ranges with this precise weapon. While using the scope, the operator can accumulate additional magnetic charge within the launch chamber, which when released will fire the flechettes at an even greater speed. When fully charged, a functional flechette is almost unstoppable, and will pass through multiple targets.

Titan's Realm
After the disastrous Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2145/128), it was decided to avoid Kadingir Sanctum until the environment was more conductive to human exploration. The second Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2148/177) was changed to a new location - an area referred to as "the Great Steppe". The Corrax tablets describe this area in detail:

"Through the Titan's Realm and down, down to the Great Steppe where the trophies of victory are kept through the ages. Their false idols banished to a wasteland. Their towers fallen, their foundations ground to dust, their hallowed halls kept empty as cruel reminders that civilizations shall fall before the ascension of the great ones."

Pinky II
UAC REPORT FILE YX7348LC

Pinkies will charge once their prey is detected, using a cortical bone plate that covers their face as a battering ram. They accelerate quickly but have limited control when charging. Their inability to stop quickly or turn makes them vulnerable to charging over ledges or into hard surfaces, stunning them. At close range, the Pinky has a significant bite which it will use to fend off attackers. They have limited visual perception and rely primarily on pheromone detection to locate enemies. The thinner skin on their flanks does not offer as much protection and should be considered a point of weakness.

Spectre
UAC REPORT FILE CLWTHI1R

The Spectre is the unfortunate result of a misguided attempt to genetically modify the Pinky. Several Pinkies were gathered during the first Lazarus Project's Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351). Four of the captured beasts were vivisected. While three of these experiments resulted in the death of the subjects, one resulted in a Pinky with limited psionic abilities. In an attempt to increase its ocular capacity, the optic nerve of a Cacodemon was transplanted into the Pinky. After the operation, the animal was returned to its enclosure to recover. It is believed that the beast was accidentally released from its pen when its keeper, thinking the invisible Spectre had escaped, opened the gate. Several months after the first Spectre went missing, the second Tethering Operation (MTC 2147/016) captured two fertile specimens. Presumably, the original Spectre wandered into the Lazarus Wave testing facility and was teleported back to Hell by a Summoner. It is unknown how the Spectre managed to breed, but the psionic trait has carried to the offspring.

Besides psionic invisiblity, there are no known difference between the Pinky and Spectre.

Slayer's Testament V
UAC REPORT FILE ZPHVM41A

None could stand before the horde but the Doom Slayer. Despair spread before him like a plague, striking fear into the shadow-dwellers, driving them to deeper and darker pits. But from the depths of the abyss rose The Great One, a champion mightier than all who had come before. The Titan, of immeasurable power and ferocity. He strode upon the plain and faced the Doom Slayer, and a mighty battle was fought on the desolate plains. The Titan fought with the fury of the countless that had fallen at the Doom Slayer's hand, but there fell the Titan, and in his defeat the shadow horde were routed.

Olivia Pierce III
UAC REPORT FILE JT6TG4XG

Before joining the UAC, Olivia was open to discussion about her endeavors and beliefs. She was known to have been an avid world traveler, served a 2-year tour of duty with the Global Science Council, and even spent time serving as a missionary in South America - which she noted was a "spiritual but frivolous pilgrimage".

Since moving to Mars she has become a recluse, cutting off friends and family to focus on her secretive work on the Lazarus Project. She is rarely seen outside of the lab and no longer attends board meetings or any UAC press events. Past colleagues of Olivia's have noted that this behavior may just mean that she has something spectacular to reveal in the near future.

Get that chest snake out of me, John Ro-

[Part 11 - Rock and Droll]

Cyber-Mancubus II
UAC REPORT FILE D070AKZU

The work of Dr. Pierce and her biogeneticists proved successful and several Cybernetic Mancubi are currently held in captivity within the Lazarus Project laboratories. They are held under the strictest UAC security protocols, so there is no chance of an escape [citation needed].

Slayer's Testament VI
UAC REPORT FILE WMHVVFJ

And in his terrible rancor between worlds and through time, the Hell Walker found the wretch who shall not be named, but in his heresy was loyal to his evil cause. The wretch adorned the Doom Slayer in a mighty armor, wrought in the forges of Hell, impenetrable and unyielding. With sword and shield of adamantine strength, the Doom Slayer set to banishing all that were left unbroken by his savagery to the void.

The Necropolis
When the expedition of 2148 reached the Great Steppe, massive structures were found - unlike any other edifices yet seen in Hell. It is believed that these structures were native to this area, absorbed into Hell when the civilization was conquered. The construction bears resemblance to many known earthly architectural movements, and several unknown (potentially extra-terrestrial) designs. Most of the structures appear to be religious or spiritual design, and have been corrupted to pay homage to the dark magic of Hell.

Although the expedition ended in a total loss of human life, it was considered a resounding success not only for the vast amount of data recovered by the Scout-Bots, but also for returning the petrified remains of a massive shadow lord believed to be an ancient Baalgar demon.

The presence of such high ranking demons in The Necropolis suggests that the area holds some item of extreme importance (or vulnerability) to the demons. Current research suggests this may be the lost artifact known as the Crucible. However, no further expeditions to this area have been planned under explicit instruction from Olivia Pierce.

Slayer's Testament VII
UAC REPORT FILE JSLR7ESL

Yet as the mighty Titan fell and dread engulfed the armies of Doom, the demon priests of the Blood Temples laid a trap to capture this scourge of Hell. Insatiable, even by the vanquishing of the Great One, the Hell Walker sought prey in the tombs of the Blood Keep. And blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus. The mark of the Doom Slayer was burned upon his crypt, a warning to all of Hell that the terror within must never be freed. There he lies still, and ever more, in silent suffering.

Rocket Launcher
Remote Detonation

This simple modification applies a nano-fiber membrane to the fuse of the projectile upon leaving the firing chamber. This membrane contains a graphite weave laced with low density explosive, allowing the operator to override the impact fuse and detonate the explosive charge within the projectile at any time after launch. Care must be used when employing this modification, as there is no safety system present to prevent self-harm.

Hell Guards
UAC REPORT FILE SHT036U3

The borderlands between Titan's Realm and the Great Steppe is home to one of the most ferocious demons yet found - the (biomech) Hell Guard. While there has been no direct human contact with this beast, it was discovered by Scout-Bots during the second Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2147/016). Confronting this demon signaled the end of the expedition, but the Scout-Bots did manage to send data to the relay beacons before they were destroyed.

A detailed study of the few video frames that were captured before the equipment was destroyed revealed that the Hell Guard is actually a parasite housed within a bone and keratin exoskeleton. The parasite, imbued with enormous quantities of Hell energy, provides power to the Hell Guard and controls its actions entirely. Before entering the exoskeleton, the Hell Guard exoskeleton is a lifeless husk. Attempts to retrieve the parasite alone have proved fruitless as the uncoupled demon is too weak to survive passage between dimensions. Once coupled however, the demon presents a daunting and relentless enemy.

Thankfully the new Doom series didn't introduce a generically designed boss enemy that can arbitrarily turn invincible EVER AGAIN.

But aren't we all Vega?

[Part 12 - My Other Friend]

VEGA III
UAC REPORT FILE 5TW1DBY1

VEGA is powered by a mix of unrefined Argent plasma (taken directly from the Argent Fracture) and UAC technology. While details regarding the development of VEGA are a closely guarded secret, it is rumored that VEGA's core is powered by a piece of arcane technology found near the Argent Fracture.

The behavior and calculating power of VEGA is unprecedented in AI theory, and the system is, to some extent, "self-taught". After the initial core software was uploaded, VEGA began gathering data from all the UAC subsystems without oversight, and effectively took control of the Mars facility operations. VEGA also proposed a more effective method for processing Argent plasma into Argent Energy, devised better analysis theorems, and even designed new Argent compression schema, allowing for the development of Argent Caches, and later, the Argent Accumulator.

VEGA Central Processing
The internal operating temperatures of VEGA's plasma based neural net are high - extremely high. Early tests of VEGA's proto-plasmic circuity showed temperatures exceeding 1.2 megakelvins (hotter than the surface of the sun). To contain this level of heat, a massive supercooled structure needed to be built to house VEGA's miles of circuity and millions of processing centers. The structure was built away from the Argent Facility to ensure VEGA's secrets remained safe from prying eyes. Access to the VEGA polar core is strictly controlled. VEGA's design is so complex that the study of its inner workings has been given its own field of study - VEGAcore Physics.

Revenant III
UAC REPORT FILE S7FG9VJQ

During initial development of the Revenant program, a curious side effect of Lazarus Wave exposure was discovered. The Argent Energy held within the plasmatic isotopes of the Lazarus Wave mutates ossein proteins, resulting in rapid skeletal growth. The expansion of the bone matter results in avulsion of the skin and connective tissue. The flesh is literally torn from the bones. As the skeleton continues to grow, the exposed internal organs begin to decompose. After several weeks of intense pain for the patient, the skeletal growth stops - resulting in a 3 meter beast comprised primarily of bone. The height varies depending on patient's original physiology. Despite this bizarre biological structure, the Revenant appears to bear no ill effects.

VEGA Central Processing
Artificial Intelligence
(I missed this one. It's directly to the left of the computer where you disable VEGA)
A note for all advocates regarding VEGA. At times, you may feel as though your every move is being watched. As if there is no privacy, and that even your deepest thoughts are being analyzed and processed by VEGA. You are not paranoid. This is indeed happening, but it is nothing to fear. VEGA's intelligence is vast and his power immense, but he is not omnipotent. Like all of us, his existence is monodimensional. He needs Argent Energy to survive. His circuits and coolant reserves are mechanical and can break down. At the end of this age, he will be another trophy for the dark masters, destined for display on the Great Steppe. It is essential that you recognize VEGA for what he is - another tool to help open the gates, and nothing more. Like us, he can be manipulated and controlled. The vast intellect and understanding of the Titans of Hell far exceed anything VEGA is capable of understanding. Ultimately, his intelligence, like ours, is artificial.

Oooh, that train fight certainly took me a few tries (and all of my BFG ammo).

I'm no science guy but I assume the numbers are deliberate nonsense, like Star Trek.

Doomguy won't stand for bittersweet endings. He's more one for everything-blows-up endings.

Going back a few threads, Jacob mentioned how much he dislikes the type of Doom WADs that generate difficulty by ratcheting up the monster count, and if anyone is interested to see what that looks like in practice, here's a neat review video of Hell Revealed, a WAD kinda notorious for having way too many enemies. There's a reason why the reviews get a Barons-per-level counter added a few maps in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9MnvHPXwUs

Thus concludes this, Doomguy's modern opus. Look forward to Eternal starting hopefully same time next week!

[Part 13 END - They Promised]

Argent D'Nur
While some intelligence has been directly retrieved from Argent D'Nur, most of the details we have regarding this location have been extrapolated from decoded tablets and scriptures. Limited data from remote collection and information decrypted from the Corrax tablets suggests that this area is the corrupted ruins of a "lost realm" - a world that has been entirely conquered and absorbed into the Hell dimension. The battle that was fought to claim this area is of great significance, as the spread of Hell's dominion accelerated quickly upon absorption of the region.

The Hell energy that emanates from this region passes through a dimensional tear, and appears on Mars at the Argent Fracture.

From the Corrax tablets:

"All falls before the command of Hell, for our power is absolute, our march to victory inevitable. Before our armies, even the Elemental Wraiths of Argent D'Nur were subjugated. In that great victory the Night Sentinels, protectors of the Wraiths, were betrayed by one of their own, and the wretches wept as we devoured their world and took The Well for our devices. None stand against us, for treachery resides in all things and we shall set it free."

The Wraiths
While there have been no confirmed sightings of these creatures, much is known about them as they are revered by the demons and referenced multiple times in all explored areas of Hell. According to scriptures found in the Kadingir Sanctum, the Wraiths are elemental beings that inhabit the realm of Argent D'Nur, a world that was colonized in the First Age of Ascension. The Wraiths were deified by the people of Argent D'Nur and protected by their fiercest warriors, the Night Sentinels. They are believed to have been imbued with a powerful energy.

The Wraiths II
The Elemental Wraiths, if they do still exist in Argent D'Nur, have no doubt been corrupted by the power of Hell. However, descriptions of the beasts suggest they were terrifying in their own form before any demonization occurred. The protection of these beasts was both a measure to harness the power they generated, and also a defense against them - hence the need for a warrior order to serve as protectors rather than a simple priest caste.

Several tablets describe the worship of the Wraiths as a necessity to avoid their wrath, and the Ungmar Codex specifically states that "Wraith-Call" (the sign of an approaching Wraith) caused panic and terror among the people of Argent D'Nur. It is also possible that some sacrificial ceremonies were attached to the worship of the Wraiths.

The Wraiths III
Further readings from the Ungmar Codex:

"The Night Sentinels stood strong against our legions. Conquest of Argent D'Nur, empowered by the Wraith-energy, was foiled at every turn. Yet in our darkest hour came a lowly Hell priest, Deag Grav, and in his guidance a weakness in a heathen of the Night Sentinels was found.

The bargain was struck thus: for the return of the Betrayer's only son, lost on the battlefield, Deag Grav must be taken to the source of their power, the Elemental Wraiths. Lead there by the wretched Betrayer, Deag Grav and his cabal set a curse upon the Wraiths as they slept, and used their essence for our own devices. With the power of the Wraiths they formed The Well, that which brings us upon our enemies. Thus, the city of Argent and their false gods fell under the unholy might of the Hell priests.

For his payment, the Betrayer's son was returned to him in our form, and the Icon of Sin was brought upon the heathens. His vengeance was swift and merciless, for the wages of treachery are suffering.

With the fall of Argent D'Nur, their realm was taken into ours, their temples and runes, their carved rock and edifice, all was absorbed into our realm and taken as trophies of our triumph."

Spider Mastermind
UAC REPORT FILE FVS1EC3F

The first Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351) retrieved a small compendium from the Umbral Plains in the crypt of a destroyed tower of unknown construction (artifact reference PL E2M8). This "vade mecum" was mostly illegible, but it did contain one of the rare references to the Aranea Imperatrix - a mystical demon that is still largely unknown.

"When the gate is opened, in the fourth age, when we have risen and the masters have shown us the path, she will be come. A great blessing will be given to the key holder, for they will become one with the master, and in that holy union the power of the dark priest will be unleashed upon the heretics of the Penumbral Plain. The Aranea Imperatrix. Carried in the mind of all who follow, fed from the blood of those who fell, made with bone of rock, iron, steel and sinew. A mighty god to rule over all other gods. One become two become legion."

I think closest comparison to Doom 2016 is another remade old game identified by a year number, Shadow Warrior 2013. You can make a lot of comparisons between the two. Also like Doom it somehow tells a weirdly affecting story in its campaign.

I wish the ending was something other than once again arbitrarily just not letting you do anything but I can't really think of something better. Hayden somehow bringing the crucible back and stranding Doomguy would feel more thematically appropriate but you also can't just leave it there because that would just be... more game.