Doom (2016) - He's Finally Back to Kick Some Tail

Put your Let's Plays in here.

In 2016, Doom was a franchise of the past. Its classics were decades old by then, and its most recent entry, 2004's Doom 3, was a horror-centric take that fans just weren't looking for. The long, troubled development of its follow-up led to many a held breath when the soft reboot Doom finally dropped. To everyone's pleasant surprise, it was one of the best FPS's of the decade.

Doom (2016) is what I call a "feel reboot": while it plays more like a modern FPS than the old Doom's, it recaptures the high-speed, chaotic feel of the classics (similar to how Breath of the Wild recaptured the original NES Legend of Zelda's feel of being dropped into an open fantasy world, picking a direction, and seeing what you'll find. These are the only two examples I can think of). It's also brutal and gory, giving you plenty of opportunities to eviscerate demons and even rip them apart by hand with the new Glory Kills. Like the man says: "Rip and tear until it is done."

The Story is Such
Doomguy awakes on Mars, having been locked away in a tomb in Hell for years, after being dug up by the Union Aerospace Corporation during their attempts to harness Hell energy. True to corporate greed, this was a colossally stupid decision, and now demons are running rampant across Mars and the UAC base. Doomguy dons his armor once again to put these demons back where they belong.

The LP:
JigglyJacob takes the reins for an All Secrets run, but not necessarily a completionist run. He's going to find as much in the game as he can, but primarily this is a fun blast through the game on Ultraviolence and no particular care for the story, much like Doomguy himself. I (ThornBrain) and TorpidTypist join him once again on co-commentary.

Content Warnings: Blood and gore. Just a whole freaking lot of it.

Codex Entries
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13

---------------------------------

Last edited by ThornBrain on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 29 times in total.

It really is hard to describe just how viscerally fun this game is to play. I am absolutely not an FPS player normally, but Doom grabbed me in a way I never expected. Everything about it blends together so well to pull you in and keep you in as you mulch your way through Mars. I've been waiting for you guys to reach this one since the Doom 1 LP and I am so glad it's finally time.

* Keira sees Doom 2016 Strawhat video pop up on YouTube.

* Keira snaps her fingers excitedly. <Keira> Let's go!

This is the game that got me into Doom in the first place, and I am excited to see Jacob tackle it. It is such an amazing time.

KeiraWalker wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:56 pm
This is the game that got me into Doom in the first place, and I am excited to see Jacob tackle it. It is such an amazing time.
For me it's kinda the opposite, I know basically nothing about this game and Eternal :v: Eager to see what all the hype is about!

I did see some theories that Doom 2016 takes quite a few cues from the flashier side of Doom modding, particularly mods in the ZDoom and GZDoom source ports; for instance, I'd be surprised if the Glory Kills weren't at least partially inspired by the execution sequences from Brutal Doom (though in Brutal Doom they don't really have a gameplay purpose and are just gore for the sake of gore, like so much in that mod). And of course some aspects of Doom 2016 in turn inspired things in those mods. Here's some examples in the Brutal Doom spinoff Project Brutality, worth watching just because Glory Kill sequences in the old Doom engine tend to look kind of hilarious. Content warning for gratuitous sprite-based violence.

Yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if 20 years later, some OG Doom WADs inspired the developers of Doom 4.

I think my favourite part about Doom 4 and Doom Eternal, if you're into this kind of thing (I am), is they take the plot of the Doom games and actually make it into a cohesive (if not terribly easy to follow) narrative. Not gonna say too much about that right now, but I love what id Software did with the story.

Yes, Doom has a story. It's a cheesy, violent, B-movie story, but it is a story and I love how they pulled it off.

Edit: Doom 4 let you play a classic Doom map if you found the requisite secret. Doom Eternal one-ups that by letting you play an entire classic Doom game. It's pretty amazing, honestly, and Doom Eternal is how I finally played the original Doom.

Some folks were asking for it so I'm going to be posting the Codex entries I collect in each part here. Underlined titles indicate Codex entries that are collected throughout the level rather than automatically gotten.

[Part 1 - Holy Heck]

The Praetor Suit
UAC REPORT FILE HGFLTGTV

Additional relics were found in the tomb alongside the Doom Marine. Some incantation tablets, and an ancient combat suit which was given a name: the 'Praetor Suit'. When found, it was encased in an inscribed stone tomb. The suit was extracted from the rock, cleaned, and subjected to numerous tolerance tests, and found to be almost impervious to any damage. It appeared to have some mechanical function as well - small receptors on the gloves and chest plate that attracted Argent plasma and dissipated it through capillary tubes in the substructure. Markings on the armor were also consistent with images of a man (or humanoid) seen in several tablets and stones found on other expeditions. The same markings were also noted on the Helix Stone.

Despite it being clear that the suit can be activated in some way, no method has been found to do it. It appears to be missing a component, likely the Doom Marine himself.

The Possessed
UAC REPORT FILE GASWST6U

The Possessed are created in a Lazarus Wave event, a phenomenon was first discovered by Dr. Olivia Pierce during her Lazarus Project. While most victims exposed to Argent biowaves will expire without further effect, some subjects will absorb traces of Argent Energy and enter a state of posthumous vigor. Despite necrosis of the internal organs (with the exception of the brain), the victim continues to animate and exhibit a low order of sentience for weeks or even months after clinical death. Posthumous brain activity in the Possessed is limited to instinctive behavior. The Possessed are known to be territorial when confronted by the living. When isolated, they will often enter a dormant state for extended periods of time. They will stand, unmoving, for days or weeks at a time until presented with a live food source, or threatened by a predator.

An interesting behavior has been seen when the Possessed are held in small groups. They will drag human corpses to a central location within their holding pens, and then perform a silent ritual around the pile of bodies. The resulting ceremonial site appears to be the initial stages of a Gore Nest. These actions must be driven by a telepathic communication with higher ranking demons, as there is no local brain activity that could manage such choices. The Possessed will perform these tasks even when limbs are removed or Pavlovian pain responders are implanted in their cortex, further cementing the theory that they are unwilling slaves performing an integral part of the life cycle of the demons. The Possessed create the birthing ground for new demons, and upon expiration are themselves used as fertilizer for the Gore Nest.

Combat Shotgun
The UAC shotgun disperses a spread of high velocity buckshot for maximum impact against the enemy. Ideally suited for the operative who requires a speedy response for deadly close encounters, the wide coverage of this weapon loses impact at long range. The weapon is forged from a high quality Titanium Steel alloy to ensure maximum reliability, repeat rate, and yield strength.

Imp I
UAC REPORT FILE 3888OAOYT

These ferocious and agile demons are found all over Hell, and are often used on the front line in a concerted attack in either dimension. They revel in battle, feeding off their victims, when the hunger takes them.

Gore Nest
Decoded Entry 001

Studies of demons upon entering this dimension have shown that their conduct is not purely vindictive - there is a method behind their actions. When a demon captures their prey, the fresh kill is taken to a temporary ceremonial site where arcane rituals are performed on the pile of blood and gore.

When enough corpses have been gathered, the ceremonial site becomes a "Gore Nest." These sites, imbued with Hell energy from the rituals, act as umbilical cords to Hell. Extreme caution must be taken when approaching a Gore Nest. Attacking the nest, or indeed any demons within close proximity to the nest, will act as an alarm and siphon more

The UAC
A Brief History

Despite the discovery of liquid water on Mars in the early 21st century, the colonization of Mars had little appeal beyond exploration for the next century. With the discovery of the Argent Fracture (a transdimensional stream of unrefined Argent plasma) in 2095, settling and mining Mars became both practical and essential to meet the vast energy demands of Earth. However, the need for atmospheric conversion and terraforming of the Red Planet was a task that seemed insurmountable to all but one corporation - the UAC. Through their diligent dedication to technological advancement and forward-thinking, an outpost was established in MTC 2096 to extract Argent plasma from the Fracture. When this plasma is subjected to the UAC's Fermionic Transference Pattern, Argent Energy is produced. This remarkable venture eventually bore fruit, as Argent Energy became the primary power source for all of Earth. New visitors to the UAC facility may take for granted the rich atmosphere while on the surface, but it should be remembered that just a few short decades ago Mars was an inhospitable desert that could support no life.

Unauthorized exploration into the exclusion zones outside the base is not allowed under any circumstances. Highly volatile experiments and artifacts are frequently researched a safe distance away from the base, and your safety in these areas cannot be guaranteed.

Possessed Soldier
UAC REPORT FILE 60014Q1Y

While Lazarus Wave exposure does effectively wipe out any vestige of human behavior from most of its victims, some subjects continue to display tactical cognizance posthumously. As with Possessed Engineers, this does not appear to be random. If an individual has training in combat (as part of the UAC Military) the Lazarus Wave event will transform them into more than mere slaves. This anomaly further supports the theory that there is some form of genetic coding embedded within the Lazarus Wave particles which governs the outcome of Lazarus Wave exposure on a per-case basis.

Frag Grenade
The design of this weapon is conventional in nature, though it has been refined to perform at the limit of its ballistic capabilities. The UAC Fragmentation Grenade uses a Comp-D explosive package encased in a steel alloy shell, and has an effective fatality radius of about 5 meters. Improvements on the antiquated M67 grenade include a more reliable chemical fuse mechanism, interior machining of the casing to provide more efficient projectile dispersion and a trigger switch safety clip to prevent unwanted activation. The newer Comp-D explosive also ensures the radial pressure wave has no "drop spots" - ensuring full damage potential within the fatality zone.

Elite Guards
Decoded Entry 001

The Elite Guard is a company of security personnel charged with protecting the Lazarus Project research and maintaining order throughout the Argent Facility. Their distinct red uniforms help distill a calming influence among UAC employees and they are known to be level headed, disciplined, and fair but firm. Their suits contain cybernetic augmentations which give the Elite Guards an advantage should they need to quell any disturbances. The augmentations allows them to be faster, stronger, or more resilient to injury.

Field Drone
Decoded Entry 001

Often referred to as "Droppers" these drones were developed by the UAC to autonomously receive and deliver ordered parts to engineers, off/duty employees, and soldiers.

Combat Shotgun
Explosive Shot

This shotgun ammunition incorporates a glycerin fuse that detonates an Octanitrocubane gel upon impact. Embedded shot is dispersed at the point of impact, creating a wide area of effect. Highly effective against multiple targets or when detonated to the rear of enemies in defilade.

The UAC
Welcome to Mars

New advocates! Welcome to the UAC. This guidebook will serve as your personal guide to fitting in at the Argent Facility on Mars. Your devotion to the UAC's mission is the foundation on which we achieve the establishment of a new paradigm to move humanity forward into the future.

Tier 1 advocates may take some time to adjust to life on Mars, but with faith and dedication, you can look forward to a long and fruitful career as you work towards full induction. Your transition to Tier 2 status will be judged upon your actions here. Make good impression, new advocate!

This guide will update automatically as you access new areas of the facility. Expect more helpful hints into the UAC way of life, and as we say here on Mars "Power; from the People!"

JigglyJacob wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:33 pm
The Praetor Suit
I don't know what I expected from this game's lore, but it didn't involve Doomguy being a male Samus Aran.
Which of course raises the possibility of Zero Suit Doomguy.

Carpator Diei wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:04 pm
JigglyJacob wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:33 pm
The Praetor Suit
I don't know what I expected from this game's lore, but it didn't involve Doomguy being a male Samus Aran.
Which of course raises the possibility of Zero Suit Doomguy.
Doomguy killed his first couple of demons outside the suit, so you already had your Zero Suit section.

It's the Tickle-Me Death Truck!

[Part 2 - My Only Friend]

VEGA I
UAC REPORT FILE OYLW96M

Running the Argent Facility takes a lot of power. Not just electrical and mechanical power, but computational power. With so many interdependent systems feeding off a single power source, the UAC decided it would need to create a central mainframe computer to manage not only the flow of Argent Energy, but the day to day operations of a facility with over 60,000 employees. This mega-computer - the brain-child of Samuel Hayden, head of the UAC - would exceed the computational ability of any systems before it, and more importantly, would be recognized at the first truly autonomous Artificial Intelligence entity. They named it VEGA.

Resource Operations
The Resource Operations center (referred to as "Res Ops") was one of the first facilities constructed at the Mars base after the discovery of the Argent Fracture. It encompasses several key areas needed to run the facility, including plasma extraction and processing, isotope stabilization, heavy metal and ore mining, artifact analysis, communications networking and off-world transportation. New UAC employees posted to the Mars facility are expected to fulfill a tour of duty in Res Ops before moving on to their specialized career bracket. Security clearance level 1 allows access to all areas of Res Ops, excluding the VEGA networking hubs and some Satellite Control centers. For access to these locations, new advocates must submit a Delta-Q Delta form to the Departmental Enforcer.

Possessed Engineer
UAC REPORT FILE TTIXXLSM

During the Lazarus Wave event, victims undergo dramatic changes to their physiology both internally and externally. Aside from fundamentally changing the composition of their internal organs, the high intensity plasma wave is strong enough to fuse metal to skin. In many cases, personal items such as watches and jewelry can burn through the skin and become permanently embedded in the victim.

Perhaps the most unfortunate victims of this fusing event are any subjects that happen to be working with acetylene tanks or welding equipment. As this equipment is often attached to the body to allow for mobile work in low gravity environments, the Lazarus Wave will create a demonized human with a highly combustible explosive device embedded in its skin.

As with all Possessed creatures, they are mindless and driven through some form of telepathic communication from an unknown demon overseer. Additional care must be taken when confronting a Possessed Engineer; if the fuel tank is punctured and it doesn't explode, the weakened container can turn the Possessed Engineer into an explosive projectile. This is a danger to any being nearby, both human and demon.

Resource Operations
To New Advocates

"And in that vision they saw the future, bold and powerful, and the many worked as one to bring the new order."

What better words to inspire you as you set about yourself into the UAC? Those who came before you and those you serve with all operate with the same goal in mind: the development of a new dawn for mankind. It is by this principle of teamwork that we will elevate ourselves to the next plane of existence.

If you have any new suggestions to improve the work environment while working your tenure in Res Ops, please submit suggestion form WAD-E1M4 to your Command Controller. However, it is imperative that you learn to accept the things you can't change and follow the path that has been laid out for you. Your service in Res Ops is a test of your devotion to the cause. Should you be asked to submit yourself to an interrogation program or experimental treatment, you are expected to comply without question. If a fellow advocate asks you to engage in a dedication ceremony, say yes! If you see an advocate doubting their role at the UAC, bring it to the attention of an Enforcer so that they might receive the help they need. Don't be selfish. Tier 2 is for everyone.

Chainsaw
There have been reports of this item being seen at the Argent Facility, though are no known uses for it. Security personnel have been made aware that this item has likely been smuggled onto Mars, and have been directed to confiscate it immediately. As there are no practical use for it, it must be assumed that this item should be considered black market enthusiast's weapon.

Combat Shotgun
Charged Burst

An Argent-charged Compression Reloader allows the operator to automatically fire up to 3 rounds in rapid succession. With the enemy at close range, this action is devastating, taking down all but the most resilient of adversaries. The Compression Reloader requires several seconds to recompress after use.

Plasma Rifle
The Plasma Rifle became standard issue among military units with the advent of Argent powered electromagnetic accelerators. Based off the HIPGD design of the early 21st century, this weapon delivers a rapid salvo of plasmoids that inflict both impact and thermal damage to the target.

Heavy Assault Rifle
Although recently superseded by the Plasma Rifle as the UAC's standard issue weapon, the Heavy Assault Rifle is still in widespread use due to its dependable mechanical firing mechanism, high accuracy at long range, and an abundant supply of ammunition. The weapon is effective at all engagement distances, and is best used against a solitary target, unless a micro missile modification is present. The standard issue ammunition is a .50 caliber FMJ round.

Berserk
UAC REPORT FILE D4NUVHAO

Test subjects exposed to this sphere exhibit extreme rage and increased strength. It has been noted that subjects given the Berserk sphere will vent their rage on any living creature they can find, and will even self-harm if they have no outlet for their fury. In the extremely rare case that a subject survives exposure, they will be left in a perpetual state of delirium and should be exterminated.

Possessed Security I
UAC REPORT FILE G9X6EWK

Possessed Security units exhibit the most complex battle strategies of all possessed humans, including mobile shield advances towards the enemy and firing while in defilade. Possessed Security will also drop their shields to adopt a more accurate firing stance at the cost of lowering their defense.

Possessed Security II
UAC REPORT FILE CHV3PWYX

A Possessed Security will keep an optimal distance from its target. If the target gets too close, the Possessed Security will attack with a ferocious shield bash then retreat to a preferred engagement range. Possessed Security have only been observed using DS-117 UAC shotgun and shield outfit which suggests that their ranks are exclusively created from members of a special forces military unit called UAC NeoPhalanx. The NeoPhalanx is used exclusively as military defense for remote UAC colonies.

That plasma rifle feels like a water gun. Just splashing the demons to death.

I don't mind joke-horny stuff, just be careful not to overdo it. (You'll know you're overdoing it when you're at the third video of Let's Play HDoom :v: )

"Oh god, I'm in trouble."

This sums up a solid 60% of my initial playthrough of Doom 4, ha ha ha.

Thank you for the transcriptions. I've seen another LP of this, and the lore is worth including, despite that it aspires to be as subtle as a brick to the face. Even the references are unsubtle-I caught that bit "If you have any new suggestions to improve the work environment while working your tenure in Res Ops, please submit suggestion form WAD-E1M4 to your Command Controller.", looked up Ep 1 Mission 4, and sure enough it's just "Command Control".

While I agree Doomguy would just stomp by any of Olivia's rants or the holoterminal messages, it's equally easy to see him standing there briefly seething at the idiocy before liquifying some more imps.

Something about this level and/or the commentary also made me want a spinoff sim/strategy game where you play AS the UAC, trying to mine for Hellpower while not letting the facility actually turn into a Doom game, but that would just be Lobotomy Corporation.

Another thing that's "like" the original but not really and also better is the downtime between fights. Doom 1/2/etc could have you doing some potentially kind of obscure stuff to actually make progress but here that's reserved for actual secrets and even those are more of a matter of looking for the right spots rather than fake walls.

Ah, a meltdown. Relatable.

I like how the corporate hologram makes room in its motivational speeches to casually remind employees that the Blind Council is always watching.
Last edited by Carpator Diei on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Part 3 - Cool, Cool Heat]

Plasma Rifle
Stun Bomb

This modification condenses multiple plasmoids into a single pulse. The resulting discharge exceeds the Franheiser limit, creating a string of Birkeland currents. The resulting filamentary structure will incapacitate any target caught within the radius for a few seconds. This modification requires cooling between uses.

Foundry
Foundry Team Manifest

Congratulations new advocate! If you are reading this message then you have been promoted to the Foundry Resource team. If you were volunteered for this service, you are joining an elite band of Tier 1 advocates whose work and dedication keeps our mission running on all cylinders. A s a member of Foundry Resources, you will have access to some of the most advanced equipment the UAC has to offer, including Grip-Ton Cargo Handlers, Delta V Jump-Boots and DynoPhasic Elevators! New members might want to consider applying for an exclusive "team tattoo" upon joining as a sign of faith in our science. Team tattoos are a mark of your tireless work at the UAC, and can be requested by signing up for any of the Lazarus Wave case studies. Please contact a Tier 3 Advanced Weaponry Technician to fill in your application for a Pentagram brand today!

Hell Knight I
UAC REPORT FILE DLF11557

The Hell Knight is a towering brute bred for combat deep in the bowels of Hell. These diabolical beasts are the prized gladiators of the demon-horde. They relentlessly stomp towards their target, smashing their massive fists into the ground to create shockwaves that stagger their opponent and leave them vulnerable to bone-crushing melee attacks. The Hell Knight's powerful legs allow it to leap across large distances effortlessly, quickly closing the gap to its enemy.

Hell Razer I
UAC REPORT FILE L26RSEYP

The Hell Razer is an astute and tactical foe that will engage enemies from a distance with a powerful beam of unrefined Hell energy. The beam emanates from an arm-like protrusion composed of cartilage and other osseous tissue. Articulation of the cartilage allows the Hell Razer to focus its energy beam into a single charged shot that will obliterate anything that stands in its path.

Samuel Hayden I
UAC REPORT FILE RDF07075

Samuel Hayden is the Chairman of the UAC.

Born into the wealthy and powerful Hayden Family, he completed his Masters in Theoretical Physics at Oxford University. He showed prodigious talent in several fields, including thermodynamics, electromagnetic theory, and nuclear sciences. At a young age he established the Samuel Hayden Foundation, a philanthropic organization dedicated to sponsoring young scientific talent and funding scientific programs in schools and colleges. His daunting intellect made him a prime target for the UAC, and they recruited him soon after he was appointed General Director of the Global Science Council. Samuel took over leadership of the UAC a few months after the discovery of the Argent Fracture, and immediately put the Argent Tower into production.

During construction of the Argent Tower, Samuel was diagnosed with stage 4 inoperable brain cancer. Samuel was given 6 months to live. He dedicated those last few months to finding a radical solution to his mortality: cybernetic transference.

Foundry
The Foundry (an extension wing of Resource Operations, the first Mars outpost) processes all of the heavy elements mined from the outlying Martian landscape and from around the original location of the Argent Fracture. Refining Argent plasma requires a large amount of transitional metals and noble gases, so a central location that can be systematically cleansed and decontaminated is required to keep Argent Energy production at maximum efficiency. As such, this area is considered a high risk area, and all UAC employees are subject to regular Med-Checks to ensure their production capabilities are not degraded by the environment. Industrial accident related deaths in the Foundry dropped dramatically in MTC 2146 thanks to the implementation of new UAC safety protocols where employees exposed to dangerous materials are immediately sent to the Lazarus Labs for cleansing, reeducation, and where possible, reintegration. As a result of this protocol, officially reported deaths have dropped to negligible amounts.

Imp II
UAC REPORT FILE 8WBDODT

Despite their low status among the demon ranks and their seemingly endless numbers, Imps have unique characteristics in battle. Some prefer fighting from an elevated position, while others will rush their target and swipe at them with razor sharp claws. Walls and obstacles offer no defense against Imps as they will leap great heights and easily hang from the surfaces. The Imp is capable of channeling Hell energy through its hands and shaping it into a projectile. As the Imp channels the energy, airborne particles and debris are sucked into the maelstrom to create a condensed, superheated fireball. The mechanics of the Imp's ranged attacks suggest that they are actually a lower form of the Summoner.

Rocket Launcher
This weapon has seen little design modification since its development in the late 21st century. It is standard issue to Heavy Weapons Specialists in all military forces due to its unparalleled direct impact and radius damage. The UAC improved the design slightly by adding an automated quick reload. The weapon casing has been retrofitted to accept UAC developed modifications.

Carpator Diei wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:23 pm
I like how the corporate hologram makes room in its motivational speeches to casually remind employees that the Blind Council is always watching.
A sign of things to come.

I'm not a big FPS gal, but of those I have played (including the OG Doom games), Doom 4 is easily my favourite, and I agree with Jacob that it's one of the best games ever made. Eternal does some cool shit, and I like its ideas but the execution falls short compared to this one. Doom 4 is just such pure, unadulterated fun, it's a hard fucking act to follow.

A great intro level to the platforming and more close range shooting. Also I can't ever see the arm puzzle without my mind screaming "Yeah!" Thanks conference audience member.

I always got lost on this and the last level. Something about them just throws off my sense of direction, couldn't tell you why. Maps, what are those? I don't know them.

We're working for the good of mankind too :black101:

I always thought Hayden sounded a lot like Lance Henricksen--which is feasible considering the amount of high-profile videogame voice work the guy has done. But I think the timbre of this actor's voice is a little deeper, even taking the digital alteration into account. Either way, he's got a great voice.

God, the Slayer is just so done with this shit, it's hilarious.

This is the Family Feud TAS Torpo mentioned in the video, and it's a blast. The gist of it is that the text parser only checks to see if all the letters in the required answers are there and in the correct order, it doesn't care if there are other letters in between, IIRC. Which is how Heisanevilgenius gets away with answering crazy shit for all of the questions posed. Very similar is this TAS of Brain Age on the DS, where the TASer abuses the drawing/handwriting recognition system the game has.

KeiraWalker wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:51 am
God, the Slayer is just so done with this shit, it's hilarious.
Yeah, it's actually kind of interesting narratively that his behaviour can either be interpreted as him not caring about the plot or as him caring quite a lot, but not in the way Hayden wants him to. He has seen where this sort of stuff leads and he's not having it again, regardless of the fine details in this particular case.

I think Doomguy shielded his eyes when he smashed the last filter because while he's wearing a helmet, the exploding filter still let off a very bright explosion, so he probably was trying to avoid being flash-blinded. You can murder all the demons from Hell you want, but if they hear you managed to self-own yourself, not even Doomguy would be able to get off easy from the ensuing laughter.

[Part 4 - Bad Advice]

Argent Facility
Exterior Opportunities

At times, Tier 1 and Tier 2 advocates will be asked to perform dangerous duties that include exterior work. This work may be put before you as punishment for not meeting your quota, or because you are the best person to complete the job. In either case, new advocates should approach the work with the same focus and commitment as any other task. Should you experience any interdimensional encounters, you are advised to report the event to a Tier 3 Lazarus Project scientist or your Departmental Enforcer. You are advised to not approach any non-human entities without executive supervision.

Heavy Assault Rifle
Micro Missiles

A multi-chambered cylinder located under the primary barrel can be loaded with up to six HMX missiles. These small but deadly rockets were designed to deliver multiple payloads to a single target, but can also be used to subdue multiple targets within a tight kill zone. The missiles will detonate shortly after making contact with any surface.

VEGA II
UAC REPORT FILE D5AAMXN

VEGA is an acronym, though the exact meaning has not been revealed by Hayden or the UAC. Once named, it was decided that the AI would need to be given a personality to make interactions more agreeable. A gender was assigned (male), a virtual age was established (50 years old), and a colloquial speech pattern implemented. As such, speaking to VEGA is a calming and pleasant affair. A blind study was conducted with Computer Science students to see if VEGA would pass the Turing test. The students was instructed to ask a series of questions to both VEGA (via sat-link) and a mathematics professor from MIT to see if they could tell which one was the computer. 92% of the students thought they were both human. Only 8% detected that VEGA was a computer.

Haste
UAC REPORT FILE BSKQL4E9

This sphere invigorates the imbiber with lightning speed. Once broken, this sphere releases a charged cloud of Soul-Breaker energy which forms a powerful (albeit brief) exoskeleton that charges and accelerates all natural movement. While the effects are brief, the speed that a "hastened" subject can reach is breathtaking. The heart rate also increased dramatically, ultimately resulting in myocardial rupture. The heart, quite literally, explodes.

Summoner I
UAC REPORT FILE 6WYG6KW

The Summoner, a cunning adversary, is primarily a defensive summoning unit. As the demon-horde swarms the enemy, the Summoner sustains the battle by opening a rift to Hell and calling forth reinforcements. To prevent being overrun by the relentless horde, the Summoner should become a primary target in any battle strategy.

When directly challenged in combat, the Summoner is capable of channeling Hell energy into an Argent wave. Although this wave kills most humans, an occasional victim will be transformed into The Possessed. Surviving an Argent wave attack is extremely unlikely but does not appear to be random. There is evidence that the Summoner selects the most resilient of combatants for induction to the army of Hell.

Argent Facility
The surface of Mars is an inhospitable environment, despite the breathable atmosphere created by the N2/02 pumping stations. Sand storms regularly make working outside impractical and constant maintenance is necessary to keep the facility fully operational. During adverse weather conditions, exterior work is limited to essential activities such as Argent Tower feed control, interdepartmental transport, cargo handling, emergency access, and level 2 hazard events (such as Argent meltdowns or bio-epidemics). Untethered crossdimensional activity is a frequent occurrence outside of the base, so "buddying-up" is advised for all workers when journeying onto the surface.

Hell Razer II
UAC REPORT FILE ITDPXXWC

Recent dissection of a captured Hell Razer has revealed a remarkable embryogenesis. Between the third and eight week of development, a parasitic Hell Razer matures, the host's arm ossifies into a beam weapon. Simultaneously, the pyrolyzed host becomes capable of withstanding the extreme temperatures generated during the repeated accumulation of Hell energy. The Hell Razer has not yet been observed outside of Hell and further investigation is planned for the next Tethering Operation.

Rocket Launcher
Lock-On Burst

Each projectile for the UAC rocket launcher is fitted with a guidance system at manufacture. This modification activates that guidance system. Micro motors in the fin assembly will guide the rocket towards a "painted target". When the operator uses the built in laser targeter to lock on a target, a salvo if three rockets is launched in rapid succession. Targeting requires a steady hand for several seconds, but once achieved the guided projectiles never miss their mark.

Super Shotgun
While this weapon has been removed from the UAC's approved weapon arsenal, many veteran operators insist that there is no better alternative for close combat. It offers incomparable destructive power at extremely close range, but it is completely ineffective at long range. The weapon is light and small, making it a favored secondary weapon that no self-respecting combat specialist would be seen without.

Hell Knight II
UAC REPORT FILE U75ZJJFD

Tablets, retrieved from the Great Steppe in the UAC Automated Survey of 2143, suggest that the Hell Knights originally flanked the Great Serpent during the first age. After their master was defeated by the Guardian the Hell Knights were placed in the arenas of Hell, where they would feed on any victims thrown to them by the Demon overlords as sport. It is now believed that they guard the most sacred and important relics in the nether world.

I was about to fully endorse getting micro missiles before lock-on because I didn't get micromissiles until weirdly late in the game but I also forgot the summoner showed up this early so yeah lock-on (not that it really matters much).

BIG BOY IS BACK

[Part 5 - Going Up]

Revenant I
UAC REPORT FILE XS2VZP9A

Revenants are UAC Military operatives that have been methodically transformed into demonic combatants through cybernetic augmentation and repeated Lazarus Wave exposure. The transformation begins by attaching a Multiple Launch Rocket Battery (MLRB) onto each shoulder of the patient, coupled to an Argent-charged neural biochip implanted at the base of the cerebral cortex. The MLRB allows the Revenant to both attack its target with multiple conventional rockets, and also fire mobility boosters located under each MLRB.

Delta V Jump-Boots
Decoded Entry 001

First developed on the Phobos outpost to facilitate Extremely Fast Navigation (EFN) through micro-gravity. Delta V Jump-Boots are now used at all cargo stations, transport hubs and maintenance depots to facilitate agile traversal with speed and ease.

With the exponential growth of UAC production at the Argent Facility, it became necessary to find an alternative to the overworked and overloaded ferry drones. When worn, Delta V Jump-Boots detect myoelectric signals in the legs so that when the user begins to jump, a short burst of Argent Energy is forced through a booster nozzle on the soles of the boots and a fully assisted jump is performed. With enough angular momentum, a second jump can sometimes be performed. Vast distances can be quickly covered when used correctly and caution should be exercised when performing EFN maneuvers around vertical drops or overhead obstacles.

Heavy Assault Rifle
Tactical Scope

The Heavy Assault Rifle can be fitted with a parallax compensating telescopic sight that allows for multiple zoom levels and gimbal mounted recoil stabilizers. The high accuracy of the UAC-TS3 turns the HAR into an excellent sniper rifle that is capable of firing multiple rounds without creating unmanageable recoil.

Revenant II
UAC REPORT FILE I9UGNQKO

The MLRB implant operation is conducted with the patient in an ante-mortem state and without anesthesia, as it is imperative the patient develops neural recognition of the augments before expiration. Once a neural connection with the implants has been established, the patient is repeatedly exposed to the Lazarus Wave blasts to induce death and transform the subject into a Revenant. As with Hell Soldiers, Revenants exhibit advance combat tactics that include range control, vertical combat governance, and rush tactics.

Argent Energy Tower
Completed in 2127 based off a prototype developed by Samuel Hayden's research team, the Argent Tower, also known as the Argent Inductor, is the UAC's crowning achievement. This unparalleled piece of technology is born of the synergy achieved when radical, forward-thinking UAC science is charged with the raw power of Argent plasma. Unprecedented in scale, the tower's primary purpose is to harness Argent plasma from the Fracture, convert it to usable Argent Energy, and beam Argent packages to Earth's GEDM (Global Energy Distribution Matrix). It is based off of Gauss Cannon designs (first prototyped in the late 20th century), although details regarding the inner workings of the Tower area a closely guarded secret. The concept of using a Gauss Cannon design to launch energy packets had not even been theorized prior to the discovery of the Fracture, but the technology developed at a miraculous rate soon after. The phenomenal growth of this new tech has led to some speculation that the Argent Tower is actually based off of design discovered in the artifacts that were found dispersed around the site of the Fracture.

Summoner II
UAC REPORT FILE MW6FLOJ

The Lazarus Project has managed to successfully capture several Summoner demons. The imprisonment process requires careful preparation, as a Summoner will immediately launch multiple Argent wave attacks when trapped. To prevent this, Hell energy must be continuously drained from the demon until it is sufficiently sedated. Anatomical study of the Summoner suggests that it is a highly evolved sub-genus of the Imp form.

Quad Damage
UAC REPORT FILE S4381XYR

Once ingested, the subject effectively becomes a host for what was presumed to be the most powerful of Ul-Thranx demons. Any weapon held by the subject is enchanced, giving it up to four times as much projectile force and ballistic power. Though the effects are short lived, they can be devastating. During the initial testing phase, patient C-132 (a volunteer Tier 2 advocate) managed to decapitate three security personnel using nothing more than a pocket knife.

Argent Energy
Decoded Entry 001

Early in the development of the Argent Accumulator, it was discovered that Argent plasma compressed into Hayden radius spheres (named after Samuel Hayden) would retain its structure with enough radioactive isotopes. Once forced, if the surface tension of the plasma sphere is broken the energy cache contained within will quickly discharge, energizing anything it comes into contact with it.

Argent Caches were the forerunner of the Argent Accumulator, but their vulnerability to blunt force makes their use too unpredictable. There are still hundreds of these proto-type Argent Caches to be found around the Argent Facility, and have become somewhat of a collector's item among UAC employees.

Should you find an Argent Cache, please report your finding to your Department Enforcer.

Mancubus I
UAC REPORT FILE 4K5750P4

The Mancubus is a lumbering behemoth demon. A foul odor accompanies its presence, a stench that can be overwhelming if inhaled directly. Mancubi gorge on anything they can find and are not averse to eating rancid flesh. Their diet rots in their digestive system, making their innards highly flammable. These foul creatures are decked in light armor when they reach maturity, but their grotesque frame soon outgrows the armor, exposing their stomach and face.

Invulnerability
UAC REPORT FILE 98THE72Z

When it is absorbed, this stimulant diffuses Argent plasma to the basal layer below the dermis creating a tough film of bioplasma beneath the skin that protects the user from external attacks. This can make the demon almost entirely invulnerable until the plasma has been dissipated through repeated punishment. The bioplasma comes into direct contact with the nerve cells beneath the skin which causes excruciating pain throughout the process. This increases the likelihood that, in the throes of agonizing torment, the mindless demon will try to attack targets that are clearly beyond their ability.

Gauss Cannon
The Gauss accelerator design has been used by the UAC as the basis for numerous industrial projects over the years - such as the Argent Tower itself, and the Ore Diggers on Deimos and Phobos. With very few moving parts, the Gauss Cannon makes a reliable, powerful weapon. By accelerating steel flechettes through a magnetized chamber, extremely high velocities can be achieved. The weapon has near perfect accuracy thanks to the aerodynamic design of the projectiles. Ammunition is cheap and readily available, and is designed to maintain its composition when passing through organic material. The Gauss Cannon has a noticeable kick that must be compensated for by the operator.

Revenants are weird. They were part of the advertising posters for Doom 2016 so people got familiar with how they looked, yet are so less threatening/annoying compared to their previous incarnations. I hated dealing with them in Doom 2 and seeing them in 2016 made me pause and go "Wait, why was I scared shitless of these guys again?".

On a more positive note, I love the "rip your heart out and feed it to you" Glory Kill on the Mancubus. Such a simple yet effective Glory Kill. :allears:

Mm, I remember spending about a week and a half just playing Snap Maps after finishing Doom 4. It seems like it's possible to do some pretty creative shit with the utility, even as limited as it is, but it's difficult to tell just from scanning the Snap Map list which ones actually use that creative shit.

I do wish Doom Eternal had included it. Hhmmm, I'm kind of tempted to fire it up and screw around for a while.

Double jump is just such an immediately satisfying upgrade no matter what kind of game its in, even outside the situations its designed for.

Some of the more specific weapon challenges can be a bit grating, in the sense that you have to remind yourself what you need to do instead of just doing stuff. Killing 2 enemies with the super shotgun seems like it could be something that happens on its own but a lot of time you just fire the thing when enemies are basically pressed against the barrel.

The first line hit me like a kick in the face

Torp and Jacob discussing using the whole arsenal or just falling back on using the SSG for everything because it's so fucking good, is exactly why id Software cut the ammo capacity in Doom Eternal down to like 25 or 30% of what it is in Doom 4--to encourage the player to switch weapons frequently and learn what's best for any given situation, instead of just blasting everything to death with the SSG.

Granted, most of the time when I play Doom Eternal I still just blast everything to death with the SSG, chainsaw the nearest imp for ammo, and go right back to blasting everything to death with the SSG...

I feel the thought about not remembering to use the big numbers to select the weapons keyed there. It's not as good for the quick changes between weapons but if I was going to stick with something for a good moment (see mentioned chaingun upgrade) then I was definitely using the weapon wheel.

[Part 6 - One Way Ticket to Hell and Back]

Slayer's Testament I
UAC REPORT FILE H8UM66S

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of Armageddon, his soul blistered by the fires of Hell and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Umbral Plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the crown of the Night Sentinels, and those that tasted the bite of his sword named him... the Doom Slayer.

Cacodemon I
UAC REPORT FILE VQB8LSIU

Cacodemons are monstrous psionic demons driven by the desire to feed. They display limited intelligence, but are often sent into the fray as their natural size and abilities make them an intimidating weapon for the demon-horde.

Lost Soul
UAC REPORT FILE: JRF51379

These demons are found wandering aimlessly within the temples of Hell as they search for a host to inhabit. When a potential victim is found, they will converge on the target and explode with a blast of Hell energy. Lesser-willed beings weakened by the explosion will then be possessed by the demon and the host's soul becomes lost in turn. Tablets revealed from the Corrax suggest the Lost Souls are considered the lowest of the demons- even lower than Imps. Since the wandering nomads, doomed to forever roam the Halls of Hell, thrive on the weakest entities, Lost Souls are despised by other demons. Despite their lowly status, they should not be underestimated.

Chaingun
The Delta-12 Chaingun (often referred to as "The D12" by operatives) is a high velocity heavy weapon capable of suppressing multiple targets at once. Recent changes to the firing mechanism have pushed the Delta-12 to the physical limits of a ballistic weapon. An Argent infused piston compresses gas within the firing crucible to over 220,000 PSI. When released, this launches a 15mm Tungsten Slug with muzzle velocity of nearly 5,000 feet per second. The heat generated by this action is syphoned into a thermal gel compound that automatically recharges the 96volt battery pack. This allows the weapon to sustain an almost endless firing cycle, as long as ammunition is present. The Delta-12 Chaingun weighs 45kg, making it a lethal but cumbersome armament.

Gauss Cannon
Siege Mode

This modification adds an Argon Gas Ionizer to the weapon. When initiated, the launch chamber is vacuum sealed as Argon gas is ionized until it forms plasma. When the Argon has been fully ionized, the chamber is opened and a plasma beam is ejected from the weapon. Due to the precise nature of this modification's operation, safety valves prevent the weapon from discharging until the Argon has been fully ionized. The operator must also remain stationary during charging due to the volatile nature of freeing electrons from the gas. Upon successful release, the plasma beam will penetrate multiple targets and produce a concussive blast at the final point of impact.

Doom Marine
UAC REPORT FILE 7VPMJ2IQ

Without doubt, UAC's most remarkable recent discovery was uncovered in its expedition to Hell's Kadingir Sanctum. After several kilometers through nearly impassable terrain, the team discovered a sealed tomb - its entrance and walls covered in protective runes and imprisonment incantations. Once opened, the tomb revealed many artifacts including the Praetor suit. Most notable, however, was an enormous sarcophagus bound to the center bedrock of the tomb with thick iron bands - seemingly anchored to prevent anything from getting in or out.

It was initially believed this sarcophagus must hold a rare or powerful demon, but when later opened, it revealed the body of a man. The body was not petrified or decomposed - in fact, he appeared to be only sleeping despite the fact that the bed he lay in seemed millennia old. Attempts to wake the man were fruitless - and to harm him even more so - as a protective Argent barrier around the body kept him safe from harm in permanent stasis.

UAC archivists cataloged the discovery DM1-5, but project personnel had soon dubbed him the "DOOM Marine". While the history of this man remains conjecture, the Helix Stone, as well as other artifacts found at the Argent Fracture and during the Hell Expedition of ECm13, have shed some light on his identity. An etching in the book Daeva (another discovery of the Kadingir expedition), depicts the DOOM Marine wearing the Praetor suit, engaging demons in battle as a hooded figure looks on. This image had been previously observed numerous times in other artifacts, but only with the actual discovery of the DOOM Marine and Praetor suit in the sealed Kadingir tomb have researchers begun to put other pieces together. It is now believed the DOOM Marine might have been part of an ancient group or tribe, maybe even their leader. Whether he is god, demon or human will remain undetermined until the Argent barrier protecting his body can be deactivated. Further deepening the mystery of his origin, UAC remote monitoring drones in service during the Kadingir Expedition recorded a protracted and deadly battle during the sarcophagus extraction -- the demons attempting to defend the tomb with an instinctual ferocity previously unobserved.

Once tethered and returned to the UAC, the sarcophagus was studied and first opened at the Lazarus Labs, but went missing a few weeks later. It was believed that Samuel Hayden had the body and Praetor suit moved and hidden to keep it secure, although why he considered it to be under threat is unknown.

Of final note; to date, the DOOM Marine and Samuel Hayden are the only known non-demon entities to successfully cross over from the Hell dimension to our own, despite several attempts by other UAC human personnel to do the same.

Kadingir Sanctum
The Blood Keep, also referred to as the Kadingir Sanctum, is a sprawling network of tunnels, catacombs and temples that connect the wasteland Umbral Plains to the Great Steppe. It is believed that this area serves as a place of worship and vilification as both hero and enemy can be found buried in tombs throughout the region.

The area is inhabited by all manner of demons, including The Possessed, the Unwilling, Hell Knights and other non-classified creatures. The Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2145/128), uncovered one tomb of particular interest. The temple was adorned with powerful holding runes and unique relics. Despite the complete loss of human life on the expedition, the relics were successfully returned by Scout-Bots to the Lazarus Labs for processing and study.

Unfortunately, records disappeared after the relics were sent to the Lazarus Labs and they are now presumed lost.

Slayer's Testament II
UAC REPORT FILE 9REIZDUR

Tempered by the fires of Hell, his iron will remained steadfast through the passage that preys upon the weak. For he alone was the Hell Walker, the Unchained Predator, who sought retribution in all quarters, dark and light, fire and ice, in the beginning and the end, and he hunted the slaves of Doom with barbarous cruelty; for he passed through the divide as none but demon had before.

Baron of Hell I
UAC REPORT FILE 12CN5KMB

The Baron of Hell is the highest demon among the order of the Hell Knights. They rarely leave Hell, and no Baron of Hell has yet been captured by any of the Tethering Operations. Details regarding their behavior and physiology are therefore limited.

Mega Health
Decoded Entry 001
UAC REPORT FILE JNIBE74N

This stimulant is the first (and so far only) successful fusion of UAC technology and the arcane science behind Argent Stimulants. When consumed, it bestows additional stamina and endurance on the user, effectively giving them more life. This effect is achieved by first vaporizing then ionizing an adrenaline solution which is then injected into a demagnetized Argent Stimulant. As the resulting concoction is extremely volatile, the product must be absorbed immediately to avoid combustion. It is notable that this stimulant can be administered to humans successfully although it does shorten overall lifespan significantly. Attempts to administer the solution to demons have proven unsuccessful. The demon suffers agonizing death moments after ingestion.

Mancubus II
UAC REPORT FILE FUIF5OWJ

Mancubi have taken their disgusting physical condition and turned it into a weapon. As they reach maturity, a chitinous growth begins to form over each hand, creating a hard shelled "barrel." As the flesh inside decomposes, a noxious effluvium begins to leak from the barrel. The Mancubus can spew this discharge from the barrel over a remarkable distance. The volatile goo ignites under the tremendous pressure, creating a highly effective biomechanical flamethrower.

Slayer's Testament III
UAC REPORT FILE HR93TE1F

And in his conquest against the blackened souls of the doomed, his prowess was shown. In his crusade, the seraphim bestowed upon him terrible power and speed, and with his might he crushed the obsidian pillars of the Blood Temples. He set forth without pity upon the beasts of the nine circles. Unbreakable, incorruptible, unyielding, the Doom Slayer sought to end the dominion of the dark realm.

Olivia Pierce I
UAC REPORT FILE BY2KG30Q

Olivia Pierce is the Head of Biochemical research at the Argent Facility. Educated at Strasbourg with a first class honors degree in Biomechanics and Genetics, she joined her former mentor Samuel Hayden on Mars to head up the Lazarus Project. A few months after arriving at the Argent Facility, Olivia was diagnosed with acute idiopathic scoliosis. The cause of this deformation is unknown. Given the option of being permanently wheelchair bound or undergoing an experimental augmentation procedure, Olivia chose the surgery. After several months in seclusion Olivia reappeared on her feet with a new titanium exoskeleton grafted into her spinal column. Although the exoskeleton allows Olivia to stand and move on her own, it causes excruciating pain. Olivia refuses any pain management medication for fear it will cloud her mind.

Another cuddly old favorite returns as we ourselves return to Mars

Maybe you explained it at some point and I just forgot it, but how exactly does armor work in this game? It seems to just go down instead of your health, rather than alongside it like in 90s-Doom.

That is exactly the case, Carpator Diei. If you have armor, the armor gauge absorbs all damage until it is depleted, at which point your health starts going down. It's not damage reduction like in the original Doom games.

[Part 7 - Pinky and the Maimed]

Baron of Hell II
UAC REPORT FILE 11S5LW2I

It is clear that Barons are ferocious fighters with a bloodlust unparalleled by any other demon. Barons, larger and faster than their lesser brothers, also possess the ability to generate Hell-energy fireballs which can be hurled at a target. In the doomed Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2145/128) it is believed that most of the explorers were set upon by Barons of Hell, though the details are unclear.

Tablets, retrieved from the Great Steppe in the UAC Automated Survey of 2143, suggest that the Barons of Hell are the current Royal Guard of the unknown dark lord of the fourth age. While the nature of this entity is unknown, it must be presumed that as the Royal Guard's power has significantly increased, so too has the power of their master.

Argent Facility
Exterior Opportunities

At times, Tier 1 and Tier 2 advocates will be asked to perform dangerous duties that include exterior work. This work may be put before you as punishment for not meeting your quota, or because you are the best person to complete the job. In either case, new advocates should approach the work with the same focus and commitment as any other task. Should you experience any interdimensional encounters, you are advised to report the event to a Tier 3 Lazarus Project scientist or your Departmental Enforcer. You are advised to not approach any non-human entities without executive supervision.

Pinky I
UAC REPORT FILE ZJC94UBY

These demonic animals are unnamed by those in Hell. They were colloquially named Pinkies, due to their unusual skin pigmentation, when first discovered by the Lazarus Project's Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351). Their aggressive nature against the living is well documented.

Hologram
This ancient piece of tech is as effective today as it was when first invented in the early 21st century. The Holocaster discharges an invisible cloud of ionized Argon, which a camera then uses to projects an image through. The refracted light creates a "holographic" effect above the device. The decoy image has a broad color spectrum, and can be quite convincing. The device was first theorized by popular culture media of the late 20th century.

Argent Facility
The surface of Mars is an inhospitable environment, despite the breathable atmosphere created by the N2/02 pumping stations. Sand storms regularly make working outside impractical and constant maintenance is necessary to keep the facility fully operational. During adverse weather conditions, exterior work is limited to essential activities such as Argent Tower feed control, interdepartmental transport, cargo handling, emergency access, and level 2 hazard events (such as Argent meltdowns or bio-epidemics). Untethered crossdimensional activity is a frequent occurrence outside of the base, so "buddying-up" is advised for all workers when journeying onto the surface.

Samuel Hayden III
UAC REPORT FILE D1171867

After his rebirth, Samuel was appointed as Project Director of the Argent Facility. It was deemed too bizarre to have the world's first Cyborg leading the most powerful corporation in the Solar System.

Mechanoid Samuel Hayden proved to be an even more impressive figure than his mortal self. Under his leadership, Argent technology exploded. The work achieved at the Argent Facility destroyed the boundaries of our understanding of physics. As Samuel himself said "We rewrote the book and called it Argent".

After the unveiling of the Global Energy Distribution Matrix, it was clear who was really in control of the UAC. Samuel Hayden's triumphant return to power was complete. In a stunning display of bravado and conceit, when the GEDM was finally switched on Samuel Hayden was live streamed from in front of the Argent Tower, pulling a massive 12-foot power lever to dispatch the first Argent package to earth. This sent a clear message to the people of the known Solar System: there is only one "man" that can turn on the power.

Mancubus III
UAC REPORT FILE BLOJJ483

Their bizarre physiology can also be their undoing. The putrid skin covering their soft belly is easily pierced. When exposed, their organs will explode violently, showering a sizeable area with their revolting (and toxic) innards.

Cacodemon II
UAC REPORT FILE 01152007

When a Cacodemon senses the presence of the living, it will hunt them relentlessly until it gets close enough to gnaw on them using an impressive set of mandibles. To aid the hunt, the Cacodemon has a psychoactive narcotic bile which it spews at range. On contact, this bile inhibits the perception of the target and compromises movement. The effects wear off after a few moments, which is often enough time for the lumbering beast to get within bite range.