Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery Of The Mummy

Put your Let's Plays in here.

After Lord Montcalfe's death, his daughter Elisabeth turns to the famous detective Sherlock Holmes to solve the mystery that surrounds her father's death. As his trusted assistant Doctor Watson is having a well deserved holiday with his family, Holmes decides to go to the manor on his own. He will have to use all of his considerable skill to resolve all the manor's riddles. Only then will he discover that behind this mysterious case hides a dreadful secret.

What is this?

Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery Of The Mummy is a first-person adventure game released in 2002. It was the first game in the series developed by Frogwares who still own the license and are creating new Sherlock Holmes games. It involves Holmes investigating the mysteriously abandoned mansion of the British archaeologist Lord Montcalfe. Doctor Watson won't be joining him on this adventure, unfortunately.

This game hasn't aged well and won't work on modern systems without a fight. But is still quite delightful to play and the puzzles aren't too difficult to work out. It's also currently free to play on Steam, if you want to get it up and running yourself though I'd check out the discussion tab on Steam to get it going.

LP details

I'll be playing through all of the Frogwares titles, this is the first one released by the company. This title is unique in that it's the only title that doesn't involve Watson and the only release that is strictly in the first person perspective. This will be a video LP and as the game is in five parts I'll be aiming to upload at least one video a week. If I have time I will record more. I will be recording commentary as I play.

Let's Play: Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery Of The Mummy

Last edited by Rocket Baby Dolls on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The letters collected in the first part:

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Rocket Baby Dolls on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I swear Holmes's voice actor is pinching his nose as he delivers the lines.

Also, Holmes, that was the understatement of the century - that manor is packed with astounding Egyptological finds.

This is the second part of the game and it involves exploring the more leisurely side of the mansion. We start with a brief tour of the library, followed by a visit to the parlour, study and then Montcalfe's lovingly themed bedroom. There will most likely be some continuity problems with the inventory management as the game crashes after each end of the level cut scene. I'm having to play each section first, skip the cut scene to save and then play the level again to record the cut scene. I will post the paperwork that we have collected in this video later on tonight.
Kacie wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:32 am
I swear Holmes's voice actor is pinching his nose as he delivers the lines.

Also, Holmes, that was the understatement of the century - that manor is packed with astounding Egyptological finds.
From what I've encountered with the adaptions that I've seen or played, most people tend to voice him nasally. I wonder why and where it started.

Here are the papers that we collected during the second part of the game:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Rocket Baby Dolls on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are those last few dates meant to be a clue, or are we in Sherlock Holmes in the 21st Century territory here?

Also, this is the first time I've ever seen the spelling "archeology". As an American, I'm fine with pediatrician and encyclopedia, but I've never seen nor written any form of the word other than 'archaeology'.

Wakkerdis wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:22 pm
Are those last few dates meant to be a clue, or are we in Sherlock Holmes in the 21st Century territory here?

Also, this is the first time I've ever seen the spelling "archeology". As an American, I'm fine with pediatrician and encyclopedia, but I've never seen nor written any form of the word other than 'archaeology'.
I believe that this case is set in 1893, which is quite late for any of the Sherlock Holmes games. I'm not sure when The Devil's Daughter is set but apparently it's after this one. All of the Sherlock Holmes games that I've LP'd before have been set between 1888 and 1891.

"Archeology" is a valid variant and was more common a century or two ago. I'm not sure wether it's use in this game was deliberate or not.

You're right about 1893, since the newspaper article is dated then.

I guess then that the 'Found' numbers either aren't dates, or the whole thing is a counterfeiting operation and those are to be the future dates when these items will be 'discovered'. What threw me is that it sounded like Holmes was saying just the first register was fake, and the second one was real, even if he hadn't yet seen them in the collection.

Wakkerdis wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 pm
You're right about 1893, since the newspaper article is dated then.

I guess then that the 'Found' numbers either aren't dates, or the whole thing is a counterfeiting operation and those are to be the future dates when these items will be 'discovered'. What threw me is that it sounded like Holmes was saying just the first register was fake, and the second one was real, even if he hadn't yet seen them in the collection.
I completely missed the 1998 dates in the register and I've played this part of the game numerous times.

Holmes' definitely said the first register was fake and the second one is real, he also mentioned about not seeing certain artifacts contained in the photograph of Montcalfe too. I'm pretty sure no matter what way around you look at things he says the same things. The photograph isn't something key to the game. I'm not even sure that the real register is even integral to the game other than as evidence that we won't ever see used.

I think this is going to be a case of having to accept that this is Holmes being Holmes and just knowing these things.

In this video, Holmes explores the multi-roomed basement? Secret ground floor? It's the secret downstairs room that we found upstairs... This part of the game has some fairly generic puzzles as well as some very confusing ones. I'm not sure whether this game is being intentionally obtuse or not with some of the puzzles and mechanics, I feel like I'm missing something at times.

I mentioned in the video that there seems to be a slight discrepancy with the languages, we saw it in the first-ever puzzle in the lobby and there was another involving the keys in this video. After looking further into it I've discovered that Frogwares originates from Ukraine, my knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet is limited but it could explain a couple of things.

I'll upload the images later as not to spoil anything in this post.

A couple of days late but this is my first small window of freedom in the past 48 hours. Here are the paperwork from the third video. I'll be doing some preparation for the fourth video soon.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

In this episode, Sherlock revisits some of the previous rooms that he has visited and they're looking rather worse for the wear. It seems like someone really is desperate to keep this mystery unsolved. There were only a handful of notes that we picked up in this part, I will upload them most likely tomorrow at some point.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The final episode of The Mystery Of The Mummy and I'm not going to spoil anything plot-wise. This episode features ten minutes cut from one puzzle, a special guest and a six-minute ending sequence that has a lot of audio glitches. Enjoy! We only found a couple of pieces of paperwork in this video, nothing that was worth taking a screenshot of.

The next game on the list: Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring