As You Know I'm Pro: Let's Play Devil's Third (Score Attack Edition)

Put your Let's Plays in here.
As you Know, I'm Pro: Let's Play Devil's Third (Score Attack edition)

What is Devil's Third
Devil's Third was intended as the flagship game for Valhalla Game Studios, formed by Tomonobu Itagaki following his departure from Team Ninja and Tecmo in the summer of 2008. Along with several Team Ninja veterans who had worked on various Ninja Gaiden and DOA titles, the plan was for the company to create a brand new title that would be a hybrid of third person shooter and character action gameplay, with its big showpiece being an extremely feature rich multiplayer mode in addition to a single player campaign. It...faced a lot of issues on the road to release. Valhalla had signed on with THQ to publish the game, but then THQ eventually went under a few years into the partnership due to bad decisions, and this was after the game had reportedly switched between two different engines. Eventually, the game resurfaced in 2014 as being a Nintendo published title for the Wii U, and running on Unreal Engine 3. Unfortunately, throughout its entire preview cycle, no one in the west fucking liked what they saw, to the point NOA had briefly considered not releasing the game in North America despite Japan and Europe releasing it in August. Eventually it arrived in the west in December, received the critical reception that was expected, and then treated by many as a joke and forgotten.

It's a game with a rough development cycle that, based on the circumstances, I would say was the result of events that were mostly outside of Valhalla's creative control, and that made it difficult to elevate all the aspects of the game to a standard that would've looked acceptable to most people. But I found that even at launch, and as the years went on from revisiting the single player, that the core gameplay systems are extremely well realized in spite of the game lacking a lot in the way of technical polish. I mean, UE3 has never been able to perform well on the Wii U in any instance, so this felt like a no brainer. This is a game where the way it's meant to be played is something that anyone going in with a generic cover shooter mindset would not understand. Kinda like Vanquish, you start to realize that playing this like shooters of the era is the absolute wrong thing to be doing. And it becomes even more apparent once you've finished the campaign and unlocked all the missions available for Score Attack mode. And that's what we're doing here.

What's Score Attack?
Score Attack is all campaign missions in their entirety but with a score component and the ability to set a starting loadout that is different from what would be given to the player in the story version of those missions. Kinda like with Ninja Gaiden, this can be argued as the ONLY way to play the campaign as the score bonuses and freedom to make your personal weapon loadout start to encourage an exciting, more reckless style of play. Even the mode works on a different difficulty scale than the default three you are given for Story Mode, and the way damage is tuned to me solidifies this as the definitive way to experience the single player of Devil's Third. There are even hats/masks you can pick up that Perfect Bald Man (He is cool) Ivan will wear throughout the rest of the mission and cutscenes, assuming you do not die or reload the mission.

Also, as you'll quickly notice when you watch this LP, I am running this game through the Wii U Emulator CEMU. On top of my original console not being in the best of conditions, Devil's Third is notable for being a game that caps itself at 30 FPS and at specific instances likes to drop into the low tens. However, as PCs today are a lot better than a Wii U and a decent mid end rig can handle many of the games that are considered to be in a playable state, you'll be able to witness Devil's Third running at speeds that are better than it ever could have originally, which makes the act of playing actually that much better. Well, assuming you don't mind all the on the fly shader compiling and the fact that this game just does not like NVIDIA GPUs when running for an extended period of time. But I've done everything I can through the magic of editing and practicing individual segments to ensure that the graphical shenanigans are kept to a minimum and you can experience the carnage at a glorious 50 FPS.

Yes, I said 50. I don't know why, it might be something to do with it being the PAL copy of the game (and the US version seems locked at 30 no matter what I do), but it always caps out at 50 and doesn't dip below 30 outside of random loading/shader caching, so you can imagine it being as smooth as your average Platinum game on a good day.

But Why?
Because it's been five years since this game came out, the final game that Itagaki ever directed, and I felt enough time had passed to show this game is worth being considered a cult classic and not the trainwreck that it was presumed at launch.

Also, you will not see any deaths on screen. Even if I ended up having to rerecord whole missions just to get it right, you will not see me falter. This is Devil's Third as it was meant to be played, in lieu of multiplayer servers being shut down since that was where the real action was. Because...

Table of Contents
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Youtube Playlist
Last edited by ArclightBorealis on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Devil's Third Part 1

Loadout
Primary: M616
Secondary: M870 MCS
Melee: Hand to Hand

The opening level of Devil's Third originally starts you with nothing and slowly introduces its core gameplay mechanics, going from your bare hands to a melee weapon to using different firearms before putting it all together. Score Attack shows how we can just start this level with a full loadout of our choosing, and no matter what you go with you will always want to have the M870 MCS with you, and make use of hand to hand moves as much as possible. The latter is especially useful in this mission since the game doesn't go nearly as crazy with the wall of gunfire that later enemy encounters do. It's the reason why A) this mission is the only one I did a full take of, no segments, and B) ended up beating my high score from before recording. Never thought I'd break 80K on Mission 1 given the limited enemy counts, but it worked.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Vintage Electric Guitar

The electric guitar is an instrument that uses a pickup to convert the vibration of its strings into electrical impulses with an amplifier. However, its output sounds are greatly affected by its shape and the quality of its material. Therefore, top-level vintage products are sometimes traded at incredibly high prices.

Emblem - Mark of Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp

It is rumored there's a secret prison under the soil of Guantanamo that takes in vicious criminals who are unable to be judged under US domestic laws. It is said a "ghost" with his identity erased is confined in the depths of that prison.

Liquor - Absolute, Nonfiltered, Natural Bourbon

Single-cask bourbon is Ivan's favorite liqour. Single cask is a premium class of liquor in which each bottle comes from one individual aging barrel. The rich and fruity flavor of nonfiltered, absolute and unblended straight bourbon allows him to enjoy a pleasant time.

Souvenir - Premium Cigar Assortment

Prime-quality cigars, individually rolled from handpicked tobacco leaves by the hands of a master artisan. Their well-matured, creamy flavori s the best match for rum. Of course, a cigar storage cabinet is also installed in Ivan's cell.

Document - GHOST OF "ORANGE FARM"

The US Navy holds jurisdiction over this farm, which has the highest security level possible. Pests, especially flies, should never be brought in by accident.

The existence of the ghost rumored to be haunting the depths of this area has never been acknowledged, which means the force and effect of the United States Bill of Rights do not apply.

Careful attention must be paid to the handling of this rumor due to the risk of it reflecting poorly on our reputation if it is leaked. Only specially designated officers are permitted to enter this area.

Background - FARM JOURNAL BY SPECIAL SERGEANT ANGELINA

Oct. 01: I was ordered to survey the ghost rumored to be haunting Orange Farm. They say the ghost is an inmate sentenced to 850 years in prison.

Oct. 07: Encountered him from day one! And straight on till morning...Might be okay...if this is his mischief.

Oct. 13: The ghost was in high spirits again this morning. Seems the liquor I gave him had an effect.

Oct. 27: No delivery order from him these days. Kinda lonely...

Nov. 01: Major power outage occured at midnight. Blackout at military facilities... I can't believe it! Emergency power isn't working either. They say crops were partly damaged. The ghost is also in a lousy mood because his amplifier didn't turn on either. This can't get any worse.

Nov. 03: The power still hasn't been restored yet. The infection spread and damaged oranges. Seems our team will have to evacuate the base. Wonder if I'll be able to see the ghost again...

Ok, I think I need to give Score Attack mode a shot because going full on balls-to-the wall with this game actually looks way more fun than this game has any right to be.

I always put this game in the same category as (mostly other Wii/U) games like Disaster: Day of Crisis. The gameplay at a normal level is obviously flawed - though still playable - but everything surrounding it is so ridiculous it becomes charming.

But you can't really do the demonstrated kind of score attack in a fundamentally broken game and it always felt like there was something to Devil's Third. Maybe this was it!

Kibayasu wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:24 am
I always put this game in the same category as (mostly other Wii/U) games like Disaster: Day of Crisis. The gameplay at a normal level is obviously flawed - though still playable - but everything surrounding it is so ridiculous it becomes charming.

But you can't really do the demonstrated kind of score attack in a fundamentally broken game and it always felt like there was something to Devil's Third. Maybe this was it!
The funny thing is that prior to realizing the depth of Score Attack, Multiplayer was "the thing" that made the game work, but that was really only for a limited time due to how destined to die something this niche was gonna be. I still remember during the first two weeks of the NA launch it was at its most active, and it really made you engage with your kit in a way that was not 1:1 with how Score Attack works but close enough to achieve the same effect. Open map design that encourages mobility and fighting against people that aren't dumb AI helps a lot.

Man, now I'm remembering the fun times I had in multi and that I need to use one of the later updates to just go on about how Valhalla/Soleil's attempts to make the multiplayer stick on PC ended up going. 'Cause that's a story.

Bulletstorm is another game where you can't play it like a conventional shooter if you want to enjoy it. And it has sliding kicks too. Any other games fit the pattern?

Devil's Third Part 2

Loadout
Primary: SG 550 S

Mission 2 is where the guns and melee weapons start getting a lot more use, even though I do what I can to keep maximizing hand to hand finishers before the game outright tells me no at points. But on the plus side, this gives me ample time to demonstrate things like how Sniper Rifles + Aim Assist can help get points quickly via Headshots with Enbaku triggered, and an unintentional trick that combines two separate game mechanics into one which I will hereby refer to as the "Lock Shot". The explanation will make sense, I promise.

That said, this is a mission that when I first played on CEMU highlighted just how corrupted the graphics can get. On top of texture layers not loading in properly, the lighting in these outdoor chapters have a really harsh contrast that setting the in game brightness down to zero can somewhat mitigate. This is where stitching together multiple segments as a result of restarting CEMU helped the most. Also, as this game originally had pretty poor framerate at times, you are about to see how the Big Mouse fight suddenly becomes a whole lot more playable due to the performance boost.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Souvenir Maracas

Maracas are rhythm instruments essential in Latin music. They are usually played in pairs.

Alternatively shaking them generates a brisk sound and rhythm, which can make even Ivan cheerful.

Emblem - Emblem of Poison Gas Soldiers - Big Mouse Unit

The poison gas unit led by Big Mouse is a special operations command composed of biochemical warfare experts. These messengers of death are fully equipped with gas masks, chemical suits, and machine guns, and they carry out their atrocious missions with no remorse.

It is believed the poison gas this unit employs is a by-product of the gas agent used in SOD experiments to cause wide-scale viral infection.

According to information obtained from NDI, the perpetrators called the virus, which was infused into the gas agent, the "Chimera virus." It seems that the Big Mouse unit is responsible for using helpless civilians from various regions as guinea pigs for their terrible experiments.

Liquor - Moderately Aged Rum

Rum is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane byproducts. It's also a base in many cocktails such as the Mojito, Daiquiri and Cuba Libre. However, Ivan prefers to drink it straight, like the pirates who used to romp around in the Caribbean Sea did.

Souvenir - Panamanian Ethnic Fancywork

The San Blas Islands are situated in the Caribbean Sea, off the east coast of Panama. The mola is a decorative piece of cloth woven by women of the indigenous tribe Guna on these islands. Several layers of different-colored cloth are sewn together; the exotic colorful design is then formed by cutting away parts of each layer. Even Ivan inadvertently gazes at it with rapture. Very popular as a souvenir in Panama.

Document - FEATURE ARTICLE - PANAMA CANAL: ITS EXTENSION WORK AND THE CONSEQUENCES

The Panama Canal is one of the most important strategic points in the world and a key conduit for international energy trade. However, as more than 100 years have passed since its construction, capacity is approaching its limit due to an increase in traffic volume and vessel size. Thus, work to double its capacity started and became the world's largest construction project to date.

However, construction on the full 80 km canal became tangled, and the repeated delay of work caused a vast amount of debt totaling over two billion dollars to pile up.

Coincidentally, a European economic crisis occured, and the value of the Euro dropped sharply. As it developed into a worldwide financial meltdown, the US government made an announcement of a new key international currency, the "Dollen" (dollar + yen) in cooperation with the Japanese government in order to resolve the credit uncertainty of the US dollar.

Background - A FLASH OF LIGHT FOLLOWED BY MAJOR POWER OUTAGES - IS JUDGMENT DAY UPON US?

In the sky, fiery trails of countless meteorites, like an apocalyptic rain, streak across an eery aurora canvas. People went into a panic as every electronic device suddenly shut down and PCs, TVs, radios, mobile phones, and ATMs all became unusable. Unconfirmed information indicates two jumpo jets crashed in the air over Costa Rica. It is said martial law has been declared by the President against riots occuring in the streets all around the country. All means of communication except old dial phones are dead. International communication is also unavailable. It is also rumored massive hydrovolcanic explosions occured at multiple thermal power plants and steel plants in Colombia. The dead already number in the tens of thousands.

Who would think that bleeding money every year would actually save this paper! Thanks to constantly running in the red we were forced to keep our old printing press, which has been unaffected! We promise to use the resources we have and keep you informed as best we can!

You're making me want to play this game. But since I don't have a console I've settled for picking up Vanquish again.

Devil's Third Part 3

Loadout
Primary: Mk 48

This mission is where the super heavy enemies come in, and it's here that I show off the usefulness of bringing a heavy machine gun to those encounters. Melee may still be the emphasis for points, but that doesn't dissuade you from using 50+ bullets to whittle down one of these guys so that they become open for a Melee Shot (which they are thankfully too slow to dodge). Alongside this, the Saha Unit are the first instance in which the enemies put up a concerted effort in shutting down your hand to hand finisher setups due to their speed. Lock Shots are a must in general, and it's here you may or may not consider always carrying a melee weapon around just for the purpose of throwing it into enemies, then picking back up to carry to the next fight. Though I didn't really abide by that advice while I was playing in the moment, but fuck it, I still beat my old score.

Outside of the score attack strats, even for as ugly looking as this game can be and unpolished in spots, I dare say the Grundla Saha fight is proof that even with the development hell status this game was in that Itagaki still had it. And to think some people had so much trouble with this guy when anyone with Ninja Gaiden experience instantly knows the way in which it's meant to be fought. It's dope. Pretty much all the SOD fights are dope, except maybe Big Mouse, but whatever that guy's easy.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Honey-Colored Saxophone

The saxophone is a relatively modern instrument, invented in the 19th century by Belgian instrument maker Adolphe Sax. It combines the reverberating notes of a brass instrument with the mellower undertones of a woodwind. It is widely used in various types of music, such as jazz and pop, as well as classical music - almighty like Ivan.

Emblem - Emblem of Kukri Soldiers - Grundla Saha Unit

The Kukri soldier unit, led by Grundla Saha, are fearless and bothersome enemies that excel at close-quarters combat. They skillfully manipulate their Kukri knives in each hand and challenge Ivan with high-speed hand-to-hand combat.

Their true form is unknown, hidden beneath their masks, but judging from their outfit and equipment, it appears they may be a military unit from southern Asia.

Liquor - Old-Vintage Premium Scotch Whiskey

Whiskeys have distinctly different characteristics based on their country of origin and method of production: smooth Canadian Whiskey, mild Irish Whiskey and - Ivan's favorite - Scotch Whiskey, which is made in Scotland with a smoky flavor derived from peat.

Souvenir - Scale Model of US Air Force Gunship

The AC-130 gunship is a heavily armed ground-attack aircraft variant of the C-130 Hercules transport plane. It takes full advantage of its firepower against ground forces but has weak defensive measures and is vulnerable against anti-aircraft fire. Securing air dominance is critical prior to using this aircraft.

Document - WELCOME TO BRAAT INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT!

Braat International Airport is an airline hub and a center of industrial freight transport. It was built as a symbol of solidarity to mark the signing of the Japan-US-Russia Security Treaty in 2015 that commemorated the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II.

The airport, with direct connections to Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Moscow, also sees many passenger flights that bring in tourists and business folk in the Rhenium industry. Braat Central Street, an old urban area with a unique atmosphere, and Braat Yoshiwara, a newly built casino, are popular tourist locations.

Sections of the facilities are also used by the US Air Force. There are several restricted areas where civilians are not allowed to enter, so please be careful.

Background - CONSEQUENCES OF THE JAPAN-US-RUSSIA SECURITY TREATY

Some time ago, Rhenium was only produced in extremely limited quantities in countries such as Chile and the USA, making it one of the most expensive rare metals. However, it was already known that a massive amount of the metal was buried on the Braat Islands, located in the waters in between Russian and Japanese territorial waters.

Since no peace treaty existed between Japan and Russia in those days, both had no choice but to refrain from producing Rhenium there due to political considerations. However, things changed drastically when the US dollar lost its credibility due to the worldwide financial crisis triggered by the European financial crunch. The United States worked with Japan and announced a new key international currency: Dollen. Later, they succeeeded in a historical achievement, creating a mutal alliance among three countries including Russia. Additionally, they made an announcement that those three countries would share the Braat Islands, located in the waters which territorially remain undefined, by creating the Braat Special Economic Zone.

From the few maps we get the Braat Islands occupy what should be Simushir Island, one of the middle Kuril Islands. There's a nearby pair of islands called Chyornye Bratya (not Braat) but no one has ever given two shits about settling on out-of-the-way volcanoes.

And just because Kaboom Dragoon made his comment I decided to look up 105mm ammunition. Turns out that it's less like shooting a ketchup bottle and more like shooting a wine bottle at 528mm long.

I've always appreciated games that try and by god does Devil's Third try. It tries to make its plot make sense, it tries to have secondary characters feel like they belong and actually do something useful, it tries to give its villains some motivation. It doesn't even have to succeed, I just like it.

Not being able to die while super mode is active is at least something other games should try, being able to hang on by a razor's edge.

Devil's Third Part 4

Loadout
Melee: Katana

Mission 4 is one of the lesser ones in the game, even for score attack. The Chimera enemies are obviously the main focus, and it's not so much that there isn't an efficient way to deal with them (there is). It's more that upon entering the hospital there's no more ammo pickups, so for low ammo count weapons like the shotgun and sniper rifle I'm using that's kind of tricky to keep the reliable strategy up. Fortunately, outside of one specific instance later on this is really the only chapter where fighting the Chimera enemies is the focus. We'll be back to pure human opposition for pretty much the rest of this entire game (with plenty of heavies sprinkled in here and there).

This is also the only mission in the game where, despite setting a new record during recording, was still behind the actual goal I wanted to reach which was somewhere closer to 170K. Bringing a Katana to the start of the mission was fine, but grabbing that axe in the hospital and refusing to leave it behind definitely sealed the deal on my final score.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Valuable Violin

The violin is a string instrument that acquired most of its modern characteristics in 16th-century Italy. Many of the violins created by the 17th-century Italian craftsman Antonio Stradivari are valued at over a million dollars. Violins are cornerstones in an orchestra, often taking the lead role.

Emblem - Emblem of Delta Force (US Special Operations Force)

The official name of Delta Force is 1st Special Operational Detachment-Delta. Delta Force was formed to carry out counterterrorism operations that could not be handled by the Green Berets. However, the US government has never officially acknowledged its existence.

Liquor - Vodka Flavored with Bison Grapes

A vodka flavored with herbs grown naturally in Biatowieza Forest (a UNESCO World Heritage Site). Notable features include a brisk flavor and smoothness. Ivan thinks about the wild primeval forest while in his underground cell in Guantanamo, drinking shots of this vodka chilled to freezing.

Souvenir - Scale Model of Streetcar

Also known as a tram, the streetcar is a rail vehicle that runs on tracks along public, urban streets. It was used as a common form of public transportation in Braat. It is a reminder of the peaceful and idyllic life before SOD's dominance.

Document - SEE, TOUCH, EXPERIENCE SENSATIONS! FULLY ENJOY SUMMER IN BRAAT!

Complete Guide to Braat Central Street!

Experience a rich and exciting history on Braat Central Street through beautiful Russian Orthodox churches and Meiji-era Japanese buildings. Use the Walking Tour Map of Braat Central Street to enjoy your visit to this city to your heart's content. You will find something new for sure!

Summer is here, so be sure to check out the ever-popular Braat Festival! This event, celebrating the Japan-US-Russia Security Treaty, is five years running and always heats up the streets.

* Walking Tour Map is also available for download on your smartphone. Also includes BRAAT Navi Coupon for great deals.

Background - Braat Island Tourist Guide

Welcome to Braat Island, where you can find a fantastic combination of beautiful nature and rich history.

This guide will help tourists exploring the island by rental car to do so safely and comfortably. We'll also recommend some ways to get the most out of your visit!

In this flowers-and-sweets-themed summer edition, check out our guide on the best flower-viewing locations on the islands. And whet your appetite with our lineup of Braat Yoshiwara's finest selection of sweets! We also include information on dining, hot springs, various local events and more! Don't miss out!

Man I had completely forgotten this game turns into RE6 (For 1 level? Keeps going?), which is a weird thing to want to turn into. As much as I think RE6 is actually enjoyable at least 50% of that comes from having someone to play it with.

I think I watched an LP of this before, but I can't remember a SINGLE THING about the plot of the game. It's fascinating to see it played as a score attack.

Kibayasu wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:24 am
Man I had completely forgotten this game turns into RE6 (For 1 level? Keeps going?), which is a weird thing to want to turn into. As much as I think RE6 is actually enjoyable at least 50% of that comes from having someone to play it with.
I mean, I won't slam the game for Mercenaries since that is a legitimately great use for RE6's particular mechanics (both solo and co op). Everything else is still fair game, and like I brought up in part 2, understanding how the game works doesn't change the gripes I have with the combat gauge's existence and the annoyance from having multiple overlapping actions on a single button.

But yeah, this level is just the one that feels like that, though you'll find the deeper this gets in the more the game ends up with an ironic problem. Pacing in games is typically brought up as a complaint when things are going too slow or are padded out and bloated more than necessary. Devil's Third arguably goes too fast and breakneck at times because you get missions like this that try to switch to something else, but rather than elaborate on and build up the idea throughout the rest of the game (be it gameplay or plot related, sometimes both), it just gets dropped unceremoniously. Like props to Itagaki for not wanting to waste time and make things immediate, but it goes a bit far at times. Not enough to diminish doing score runs, thankfully, but for the average player focusing on score wouldn't be their immediate concern.

TuxedoTed wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:51 pm
I think I watched an LP of this before, but I can't remember a SINGLE THING about the plot of the game. It's fascinating to see it played as a score attack.
Devil's Third is a game you remember in images (Ivan playing drums, for instance) not words.

Devil's Third Part 5

Loadout
Primary: SCAR-H

Red Light District is probably the objective best mission in the game, and certainly one of my favorites because of it. Though that doesn't mean this mission in Score Attack didn't make me want to pull my hair out at times. I'm all for TAC-Ninjas making a return from Ninja Gaiden II, but going bare handed against these guys with their swords and guns leads to a lot of stunlocked deaths. The amount of segments and back up saves I planned to make were effectively cut down by half because I desperately needed the Enbaku gauge full in order to survive at points. Game even tried to psyche me out with an enemy (attempting) to be out of bounds and unreachable, but I pulled through. So yeah, it's a great mission. Don't let my bitching fool you. Enbaku with Survivor bonuses really made me happy with this final score, so the pain was worth it.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Heike Biwa

A string instrument that made its way to Japan in the 7th century. The Biwa differs greatly from the modern Chinese Pipa in areas such as the number of frets and the manner of playing.

Different types of Biwa are used depending on the piece to be played. This "Heike Biwa" (Heike meaning "House of Taira") is used for "The Tale of the Heike," the epic story of the rise and fall of the Taira clan. This song makes Ivan sad at heart.

Emblem - Emblem of Jane Doe Unit

Jane Doe leads the unit of ninja-like soldiers who have undergone special training in fighting under the cover of darkness with their night-vision goggles. These soldiers are armed with small but powerful machine guns and sharp-edged ninja swords, making them formidable foes in close-quarters combat with their tricky and acrobatic movements.

Liquor - Premium Pink Champaigne

This champagne is always in stock at Ivan's cell by request of US Marine Special Forces who are engaged in secret missions. Ivan himself doesn't have any special fondness for it and generally drinks it as a chaser.

Souvenir - Miniature Statue of Dr. Maeda

Super-alloy Rhenium X, developed by Dr. Maeda, added further value to the already rare and precious metal Rhenium. Braat then developed on a grand scale as the largest producer of Rhenium in the world. In recognition of his achievements for Braat, Dr. Maeda was acclaimed as a hero and a statue was built in appreciation.

Document - MEN ARE BRAAT (BROTHER), WOMEN ARE SESTRA (SISTER)! HAPPY - HARASHO - SEE YOU SOON!

No. 1 source in the Far East for information on great drinking spots and women! the OI-RAN girl featured in the opening photos is Nadezhda of 'Sestra Heaven - Braat Yoshiwara Annex' You'll be surely knocked out by her charm. Enjoy those photos of her in OI-RAN costume!

Discounts, event information and great deals found inside! Winning strategy for casino games are also illustrated in detail! Nothing is off limits!

With 'OI-RAN' news, fully enjoy the night life in Braat Yoshiwara.

Background - WILL DR. MAEDA WIN THE NOBEL PRIZE?

Dr. Toshio Maeda (72), local hero and founder of 'Rhenium X,' is seemingly in the running for the Nobel Prize in Chemistry almost every year. This year is no exception, and many are interested to see if this will finally be his year to bring it home.

It is said judges take personality into consideration as well as the individual's achievements, and as Dr. Maeda is well-known for being an unrivaled drunkard with a sailor's mouth, often causing controversy with his statements, many people point to this as the reason the prize escapes him year after year.

For fans of Dr. Maeda however, the hype surrounding the Nobel Prize selection is just an annual event that announces the arrival of winter. For these people, the actual results of the selection are of lesser importance and do not cast any shadow on his achievements. We're rooting for you, Dr. Maeda.

Devil's Third Part 6

Loadout

The score I set during the recording of this mission wasn't that much more improved from what it previously was, but I was still fine with the result. Arguably the toughest part to get through without dying is the fight directly before the dual heavy soldiers come in, as it outright punishes you for not going to cover quickly and thinning out the higher level ninjas. I don't know what else really to say, Heavy Metal's got some decent encounters but without a proper boss fight at the end this whole section feels like filler. Fortunately Mission 7 onward ramps things up pretty considerably.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Wing-Shaped Gusli

The Gusli is a traditional Russian instrument once used by bards and minstrels in their performances. It has distinctive, fanned-out strings, and it's played by plucking them while resting the instrument on both knees. The Gusli's sound is both strong and subtle, resonating deeply with Ivan.

Emblem - Emblem of SOD Soldiers Unit

The soldiers engaged in SOD missions have sword absolute loyalty to Isaac Kumano. Their combat capability has been enhanced to the utmost limit through "chimerization." In addition to the common grunts, some soldiers may wield flamethrowers or poison gas.

Liquor - Dr. Maeda's Favorite Japanese Sake

"Otoko-michi" is a crisp, dry, and pure rice sake that is relatively easy to obtain in Japan. People in Braat started importing this sake because it was Dr. Maeda's favorite. Dr. Maeda has been rebuked several times for trying to give this sake to his cat because he has no one else to share a drink with.

Souvenir - Replica of Dr. Maeda's Wall Scroll

One of the most poular souvenirs in Braat Fuji.

The characters for "power saving" drawn on the scroll are a copy of Dr. Maeda's original autograph. you can tell from this how popular Dr. Maeda is in Braat.

Document - AMAZING SUPER METAL - THE SECRET OF RHENIUM X

Rhenium (atomic number 75), a very rare metal, is the hardest single metal element on the earth and has astounding heat resistance. It is said to be as valuable as gold and has become essential for the military and the aerospace industry.

Just after the turn of the millennium, Dr. Maeda began research and development to enhance the value of Rhenium further. He succeeded in recovering almost pure Rhenium Disulfide from the volcanic gas that was tapped from the crater of Braat Fuji. By taking advantage of the sliding diffusion theory of polymer crystallization, he developed a new generation of alloy called Rhenium X, which has hardness, tensile strength, and heat resistance five times higher than regular Rhenium.

Labeled the greatest discovery of the 21st century, Rhenium X has brought rapid development and fortune to Braat Island, a phenomenon known as the Rhenium Rush.

Background - THE HISTORY OF RHENIUM X

Rhenium (atomic number 75) is widely considered to have been discovered by Walter Noddack, Ida Tacke and Otto Berg in 1925 in Germany. However, few people know that it was actually first discovered by Japanese chemist Dr. Masataka Ogawa 17 years prior, in 1908. Dr. Ogawa believed he had found the atomic element 43 and named his discovery "Nipponium." However, it was later shown that element 43 is not naturally found on Earth, and his discovery was voided.

Recent analysis into Dr. Ogawa's discovery indidcates the element he discovered was actually the atomic element 75 - what we now call Rhenium. Dr. Ogawa was not able to correctly calculate the atomic number due to Japan's lack of access to proper X-ray spectroscopy systems at the time.

Over a hundred years later another Japanese scientist, Dr. Toshio Maeda, took up Dr. Ogawa's legacy by successfully developing the superalloy 'Rhenium X.'

I guess you can't have the sexy lingerie lady turn into a hulking monster, that'd be weird. Whereas a guy with a chainsaw and a guy with a battle axe feels like something out of a music video. Every vaguely military shooter needs a breach section though, it's in the rules.

Devil's Third Part 7

Loadout
Secondary: SG 550 S

Peacemaker is contender for the hardest in all of Devil's Third. No, scratch that, it IS the hardest. Trying to do a no death run through this really highlights how even so much as manually reloading a checkpoint will put you at a severe disadvantage due to it resetting your Enbaku meter, and the walls of gunfire become way too difficult to work through with even the best mobility and melee strikes. With so many heavy soldiers getting thrown at you with axes, chainsaws, and gatling guns, you really cannot stay alive and go unga bunga on these bastards without being in your powered up state constantly. As such, this mission is the one time I make an exception to the "always bring a shotgun" rule, as the sniper I've been using has as much value here as the Mk 48.

This was also a moment in the LP where, like with Mission 2, I knew things would get screwy on the emulator with corrupted textures and the fact that the outdoor lighting is similarly bright. In fact, the rest of the video's literred with awful texture issues and visual effects because of how I had to split up these segments. But that jeep section's still amazing though, for how absolutely ballsy the idea was for letting you drive it, fire a dual purpose turret, and use BOOST POWER. Fucking all other shooters out there, get on Itagaki's level.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Three-Stringed Russian Folk Instrument

The balalaika is a Russian folk instrument with a characteristic triangular body. It is said that the word "balalaika" is derived from the Russian word "balakat," which means "jabber." Modern balalaika are produced in various sizes. A contrabass balalaika is too big even for Ivan to ignore.

Emblem - Emblem of Optical Camouflage Soldiers - Ludmilla Unit

The optical camouflage unit led by Ludmilla are "invisible" soldiers fully equipped with stealth camouflage armor. These "ghosts in the battlefield" are nearly impossible to spot, blending into the environment around them. This gives them an immense advantage in battle, allowing them to sneak up behind their enemies for the first, and probably last attack.

Liquor - Extremely Rare Wine Traded at an Incredibly Inflated Price

Ivan doesn't talk that much about wine...

But he doesn't seem to hate it.

Souvenir - Russian Nesting Doll

The matryoshka doll is a symbol of Russian culture. It is a set of wooden dolls of decreasing size placed inside another. The workmanship of these dolls is based on "Ireko-zaiku," which gives the dolls, like Ivan, a deep connection to Japan.

Document - PRIVATE MILITARY COMPANY "ZENIT"

Private military companies (PMC), as indicated by the name, provide armed security services as contractors. Their corporate activity covers various areas on the battlefield, including protecting VIPs, military coaching, logistics and actual battle.

Zenit is one of the private military companies being operated as a closed joint-stock company in Russia. Most of its members consist of ex-elite soldiers from the KGB and Spetsnaz.

Zenit's conventional forces, which consist of more than 1,000 staff, are armed with heavy firearms under the pretext of protecting VIPs and keeping guard on important facilities. Depending upon the importance of the target, they sometimes employ the use of combat aircrafts and helicopters as well as tanks and armored vehicles. Commanding officer-level personnel are adept at firearms and swords and are allowed to carry secret weapons with them.

Background - BEHIND THE SCENES OF MYSTERIOUS SPECIAL-OPERATION UNIT DELTA FORCE!

1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta, popularly known as Delta Force, is a US Army component of Joint Special Operations Command and was founded as a counterterrorist unit whose main mission is hostage rescue. The US Army colonel Charles Beckwith, who served as an exchange officer with the British Special Air Service (SAS), is credited with the creation of Delta Force. Therefore, it is said the structure of Delta Force is modeled on SAS. Extreme physical and mental qualifications are required to become a member, making Delta Force one of the most elite commands of the US Army. As some missions require members of Delta Force to assuem disguises as regular civilians, they are allowed to wear clothes and hairstyles freely, showing just how specialized their missions can be. The details of these missions, however, continue to be wrapped in a veil of mysteries. The US government has never officially acknowledged the existence of Delta Force.

Did Bobby always have a giant minigun on his back he never uses? Also no one's defending RE6's vehicle sections, or even RE5's. Except maybe that one where Leon crashes what he's driving, or the other one where he crashes what he's driving.

Throwing 4 heavies not once but twice into a narrow corridor is especially unreasonable. Like even if you're playing this as a boring cover shooter that's particularly boring.

Devil's Third Part 8

Loadout

While a bit hectic and overwhelming at times, Mission 8 is still not nearly as taxing as the previous one, and I'd go as far to say it is my favorite in the game just for the sheer absurdity surrounding it. This game very loosely uses the Kessler Syndrome as the basis for this game's world, and somehow seeing WWII planes piloted by vets taking on modern attack choppers, all the while storming a Post WWII/Cold War era fortress with modern guns and melee weapons feels like the perfect culmination of what this game ultimately is: an anachronism. It's so unbelievably stupid I can't help but applaud it.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Ten Hole Harmonica

The most widely known type of inexpensive harmonica, which is also called "Ten Holes." A small and simple instrument to be fit in the palm, though its sounds, generated with various techniques such as "trill," "bending," and "vibrato," are as nostalgic and heartful as Ivan.

Emblem - Emblem of DEVGRU (US Naval Special Warfare Development Group)

DEVGRU is a Joint Special Operations Command derived from the US Navy SEALs. DEVGRU engages in counterterrorism operations alongside Delta Force. Like Delta Force, its existence has never been acknowledged by the US government.

Liquor - Spicy Vodka Flavored with Hot Pepper

Pertsovka is the generic term used to refer to vodka flavored with hot pepper and spices and comes in handy as a base in a Bloody Mary. It is said that Caraway was extremely impressed with Ivan's Bloody Mary. However, only those able to survive a mission together with Ivan are allowed to try it.

Souvenir - Scale Model of LAV

An eight-wheeled amphibious infantry fighting vehicle used by the US Marine Corps. It is based on an armored personnel carrier developed by the Swiis MOWAG corporation and was built by General Dynamics Land Systems Canada under license. It traverses the battlefield at a top speed of 100 km/h and can hold 3 crew members and 6 soldiers aboard.

Document - MILITARY USE OF COSMODROME IN NOW-DEFUNCT SOVIET UNION

The history of the Soviet Union's space technology development is directly linked to its military technology. The first liquid-propellant rocket manufactured by the Soviet Union in 1933 eventually gave rise to the 'Katyusha' multiple-rocket launchers. A post World War II rocket R1, which was developed based on the 'V2' rocket documents obtained from Nazi Germany, evolved into an intercontinental ballistic missile 'R7.'

The 'R7' was also used as a space rocket for Sputnik Projects in 1956. However, its budget was approved only when it was paired with four reconnaissance satellites.

In addition, all of the former Soviet Union's cosmodromes such as 'Kapustin Yar,' 'Plesetsk,' 'Svobodny,' and 'Baikonur' (Kazakhstan) were originally built as a firebase for intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Background - THE JAPAN-US-RUSSIA SECURITY TREATY - A SUMMARY

The Japan-US-Russia Security Treaty is a security treaty signed by the three countries in its name. It's built on the framework of the existing Japan-US Security Treaty but has expanded with the inclusion of Russia. It outlines defense-cooperation guidelines for the three countries. The treaty also includes the Trilateral Status of Forces Agreement, which stipulates the presence of the US Armed Forces in the Braat Special Economic Zone. The treaty was signed on September 10, 2015, in Moscow in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II. Given the tumultuous military history between these nations, the signing of the Japan-US-Russia Security Treaty is considered a groundbreaking historical event.

Devil's Third Part 9

Loadout
Primary: M616
Melee: Katana

Recording this mission almost gave me a heart attack if only because I forgot to make a back up of my save the instant I got to the Ludmilla fight and died. Fortunately I exited before the game could save that death as a score penalty, but while waiting through the ending cutscenes I was wondering whether or not I'd lose a thousand points. Fortunately, no deaths were recorded in the score. A short, but solid final mission overall. Saha and Kumano are basically a coin toss for me regarding which is the best boss of the game, but with how beautifully that final fight went I'm almost leaning towards the latter.

Thank you for watching. Hopefully you've been convinced of this game's merits and can better appreciate it. And hopefully Valhalla/Soleil will see it in them to go fuck the haters and make Devil's Third 2. Or just Devil's Third with an appropriate subtitle, 'cause putting a number after "Third" feels way too awkward.

War Trophies
Musical Instrument - Traditional Musical Instrument of the Sakhalin Ainu

The tonkori is a traditional plucked-string folk instrument played by the Ainu people in Sakhalin. Its mystic pentatonic sounds continue to fascinate Ivan. While five-string tonkori are the most common, they may have three or as many as six strings.

Emblem - Emblem of Bodyguards for Isaac Kumano

An elite unit consisting of especially valiant soldiers singled out from among all the SOD forces. These battle-hardened soldiers are equipped with powerful firearms and special armor in their quest to track down Ivan and send him to hell.

Liquor - Legendary Sweet-Potato Shochu (Distilled Liquor)

"Mazou" is a legendary shochu that is difficult to get even in mainland Japan due to its popularity. It is a full-blown sweet-potato shochu made in Kagoshima. The US National Defense Intelligence has heard rumors that it is SOD boss Isaac Kumano's favorite drink, but the authenticity of that information has not been confirmed. Incidentally, Ivan seems to prefer sake rather than shochu.

Souvenir - Scale Model of Soviet Union's Satellite

It was 1957 when the Soviet Union launched thefirst artificial satellite Sputnik 1 into orbit. The surprise success precipitated the American Sputnik crisis and triggered the Space Race, one part of the larger Cold War. Only 12 years later, human beings set foot on the lunar surface for the first time.

Document - REPORT ON NUCLEAR KILLER SATELLITE TSAR BELL

Tsar Bell is the code name for the over 40 orbital, nuclear killer satellites disguised as common satellites. These satellites detonate themselves in an emergency and induce the Kessler syndrome, which causes cascading destruction to nearly all satellites in orbit. Nuclear explosions at high altitude do not generate blast waves; however, the electromagnetic pulse generated by the explosions can potentially destroy electronic devices on the earth.

If means of transportation, industrial machiens, medical equipment, power plants, etc., suddenly cease to function, social turmoil will be immense. In addition, it is expected that loss of information from IT deviceds at banks, security companies and other corporations may cause a more ghastly state of affairs than the total annihilation of a small town by nuclear attack.

The damage is more extensive in advanced countries, where precision mechanical equipment is in more widespread use than developing countries. It's not a stretch to think of it as a civilization reset switch.

Background - PUGET SOUND NAVAL SHIPYARD AND INTERMEDIATE MAINTENANCE FACILITY

The biggest feature of this shipyard at an inlet in Bremerton, Washington, is its inventory of inactive US Navy vessels in mothballs (a.k.a. the Mothball Fleet). The Mothball Fleet are vessels mainained, modernized and stored in case they are needed by the Navy in the future.

For example, the USS Missouri battleship, which was commissioned during World War II and decommissioned in 1955, was reactivated in 1984 during the Cold War and made a comeback to the fleet. She was modernized and quipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles, and provided fire support during Operation Desert Storm in 1991 (Gulf War). The US Air Force retains more than 4,000 military aircraft at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona and the US Army stores massive numbers of M1 tanks in mothballs at arsenals in Alabama and Ohio. Incidentally, those weapons are not counted as conventional forces by the US Armed Forces.

As admittedly amazing bringing in WWII stuff to fight at the end was the game has also been using helicopters and drones and modern cargo planes the entire time but you know what never mind what I said.

I definitely wouldn't call it bad, I've seen way worse, but it is very... sloppy I guess. Not as in stuff doesn't work but its a game that tries to be everything and everything ends up hanging very loosely together. Brawling seems to be encouraged more than shooting but with how lethal everything is it ends up encouraging shooting from safety. You start off with your perpetually shirtless protagonist pounding out a drum solo and being tempted on a mission by the promise of sick guitar but that quickly transitions into sincerely trying to invoke some heavy pathos from everyone including the villains, who also have their own individually wacky dress codes, and trying to create actual motivation.

If nothing else a good run of score attack makes everything flow a lot smoother without looking like a speedrun that skips over entire sections. Though even if the normal game was paced like that it would have been a minor help at best.

"Nipponium" "Super Alloy Rhenium X" Ok so when does Ivan fight knock-off Mazinger Z?