The One-Off LP Thread!

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Let's face it, doing a LP is a lot of work. It's a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work. And once you've done enough of them, you start looking at a game going "well if I were to LP it I would..." and then yet another entry gets added to the increasingly long list of games you want to show off. What? Are you saying that's just me?

Well, I've come up with the solution to the problem: this thread. The whole idea is you do a single update for a LP you want to do. It can start at the beginning, be in the middle, or hell even show the ending off if you feel so inclined. But that single update is all you get. So make it count! Sometimes you get ideas that will not leave you alone until you act on them, and when you do start working on it, you discover that the LP would be boring or samey. But with a single update? You don't have to worry about any of that.

And if you like the idea enough that you want to continue? Then by all means... feel free to continue the LP in its own dedicated thread!

Hello! Your friendly neighborhood mod team here to announce that we like this idea a lot and are going to be running the first LP Beach contest! The rules are as follows:

1) This contest will be running for two weeks, that is through September 21st, 2020. After that point, we will begin judging and this will revert to simply being a cool idea for a thread. Update: The thread has reverted to being a cool idea for a thread.
2) You may only have one entry into the contest. If you have multiple ideas for something to show off, great! We encourage you to post as often as you have ideas (and time to process them into an update), but to make things easy for us down the line, please designate which one you want to be entered in the contest.
3) There are ~prizes~ to be won! Assuming enough participation, each mod will pick their favorite and those folks will each get a Steam game of reasonable price (or something similar). Probably around $20-ish. If not, then we'll pool together and pick the ones we like best.

Good luck, friends!
Last edited by Quackles on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The contest has concluded.

And now it's time for my own little entry!

To avoid bogging the thread down with a fairly large screenshot update, I've linked to it. So click the pretty picture to see it all in its glory!

DoubleNegative wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am
And now it's time for my own little entry!

To avoid bogging the thread down with a fairly large screenshot update, I've linked to it. So click the pretty picture to see it all in its glory!
I'm glad you mentioned Marcel Vos. It's a great channel, I think of him as the Pannenkoek (y'know, the SM64 guy with the parallel universes) of RCT.

Ooh, this could be really interesting! The perfect opportunity to throw out LP ideas that would never get off the ground otherwise. I might end up entering myself with a terrible garbage ill-advised splendid and worthwhile idea.

I'm not submitting this for the contest, as I've got some other ideas i might try to get together before the deadline.

A Fire Emblem: Awakening Gimmick Run

I'm still putting this up though- it's an interesting experiment, I suppose. It's a big update, so I stuffed it in a test post you can get to by clicking this dude's face.
Last edited by The Flying Twybil on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alright, I think this will be my submission for the contest.

Let's Learn: Dwarf Fortress - Time is Subjective

This idea just kinda came to me while I had the sudden inspiration to do some stuff in Dwarf Fortress. It could probably afford to have a little better organization done to it, but this was all written on the spot and I've got some other personal stuff I'd like to get around to.

I'd still love to show off Adventure mode some at some point- it's kind of the overlooked game mode despite it being what the game was originally designed for.

Oh, and the link to the update is on the picture, like my previous one and the one before it,

Let's Play Disgaea 5: Alliance of Prinnies (?)

The beginning of an all-Prinny run featuring Valzy (and Fuka, if updates were to continue [they probably won't]).

Man, it's been FOREVER since I did any LP work of my own. >_O

I guess I should get around to my entry, huh?

It'd be nice to do more of this, but...effort. And also I want to finish my current project first.

Edit: Oops, I missed some portrait placeholders. Should be fixed now.
Last edited by EMN on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curate Rollo's sprite is adorable :3:

This is a fun thread.

EMN wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pm
I guess I should get around to my entry, huh?
I actually wanted to do something similar to this sometime, unfortunately most of the games I have to self-translate are adventure games and those really suffer from not being able to read them.

This was nice though, I quite liked it and had no idea something like this even existed.
clearcardinal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:41 pm
It is one adorable sprite, can't disagree there

clearcardinal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:41 pm

This is a fun thread.
Oh, you think that's adorable? How about this?

oh my gosh!!! I love him

I love all the personality the slimes have in the Rocket Slime games. :kimchi:

Time to throw my hat in the ring.

Brukel is a 2019 first-person educational exploration game with a rather unique premise. Players explore the memories of a 92-year-old grandmother as she recounts her time living in a farmhouse under Nazi-occupied Belgium during the Second World War.

This is not an official entry into the contest, but this is the one-off thread and I want to get this out of my backlog so...

DoubleNegative wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:57 pm

This is not an official entry into the contest, but this is the one-off thread and I want to get this out of my backlog so...
Nice LP gimmick, fits the game well.
theenglishman wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 am
Time to throw my hat in the ring.

Brukel is a 2019 first-person educational exploration game with a rather unique premise. Players explore the memories of a 92-year-old grandmother as she recounts her time living in a farmhouse under Nazi-occupied Belgium during the Second World War.

Woah. Where to start. Well, first of all, good thing there's subtitles. I speak Dutch but it's a really strong dialect of Flemish she uses, it's not easy to understand. Also, the subtitles sometimes give a bit of context, like saying "my sister <name>" when she doesn't mention how they're related.

Secondly, I've been in houses exactly like that. Built more than 100 years ago. Where they kept that old stuff as a keepsake. And those stories, the stories from the first half, about life back then, I recognize them. I've heard very similar things from my own grandparents who lived not that far from Geel. And then the second half - well, war stories seem much more personal and as far as I can tell, my family got lucky in being spared from most of the worst terrors, but of course you hear these stories. At museums. At remembrance events. And they make me sad, and horrified about the awful things people can do to each other. And then I look at the news and I see the rise of modern nazism and it just scares the hell out of me. That's the kind of people who refuse to learn from the past.

I agree, this is a very unique game, I'm glad they made it and I'm glad you decided to show it off to us.

And now I need to go sit down and take some time to mentally recover because holy shit that game was an emotional rollercoaster for me.

I'll end this post by saying I realize freedom is not a given. I live in freedom and have never dealt with war personally, and I am very grateful for that.

As a mod, I won't be submitting this for a prize, but I still had this dumb idea the other night and wanted to do it for this thread!

Well, much like the one-off SSLP contest back in 2017, I decided to try something a bit more off-the-wall with this. In fact, I'm not even sure you can call this an LP update. I don't know what this is. All I know is I had an idea, and once I realized I would be able to make it, I made it.
TO: MHightower@ILProductions.net
CC: VideoDept@ILProductions.net

SUBJECT: Video Demo Project

BODY:

Hey, Monica, I put the video demo thing I was supposed to do up on the internals so you can send it off to whoever you want to take a look at it. I didn't put a lot of editing into it, like you told me to. I mean, I basically knocked it out in an hour or so, and that's including recording. I'm not sure if this is going to convince anybody of anything.

Then again, maybe it's not supposed to. In the end, I don't know what you're planning with this, and I don't really care either. After all, I did exactly what you told me to, so my job's done.

Hit me up if you notice something that got messed up. Otherwise, I'll see you at the next recording session. Maybe.

Rob

P.S. What's with the VideoDept address? I know you told me to add it when I send stuff about the video project, but it's just a redirect to your address anyway. It's not like I really care about the project not being a big thing right now, it has to be if you pawned it off to me anyway. Well, whatever. Just let me know if the file didn't make it to you.

P.P.S. Actually, I'll just attach it here too in case you can't access the internals right now.

Day 14:
We're at the end of our second week of Let's Play With Bo, My Cat.

In light of that, we're going to go over some basic mechanics we've discovered so far and how to use them, since we're running low on new content to discover on a day-today-basis.

Step 1: basics

Bo usually eats very early and late, as he sleeps away most of the day.

It's important to manually guide him to his food bowl, then his water bowl, then his bed. His pathfinding can be buggy, and to avoid triggering the "loud yelling" state, giving him words of encouragement as you traverse to the next objective might be necessary.

Step 2: Communication

The "loud yelling" state can be triggered whenever Bo's pathfinding has failed, or alternately when he seeks to communicate that he needs something.

These two triggers are inextricably linked by his inability to open doors, so determining which one caused the state to begin with is often far less efficient than simply opening a door and guiding him to around the three basic spots that fill his needs.

On occasion, Bo will also yell when he wishes to engage in social grooming. This hasn't happened in our current playthrough, but I took a screencap of a previous run I did and will include it below.

With those rules now firmly in our minds, we're going to try something unusual today. Instead of a normal day or a day to try entertaining Bo with toys, we're going to be exploring some alternate states of Bo, and how to get to them. I'll pass the commentary off to my co-host now.

The "Curled Bun," usually seen while sleeping

Image Meow mew meow meow

The "Seat Defender," used when someone else leaves a warm spot

Image Meow mew meow meow

The "Soft Reset"

Image :staredog: Meow

And finally, the rarest, "Long-Sphinx Bo"

Image Meow mew meow mew mew meererrw mew meow meow meow meow meow meow meow. Meow mew meow mew meow mew meow mew. Meow meow mew meow meow meow mew mew meow mew meow meow meow mew meow meow meow. Meow mew mew mew meow mew mew meow, meow mew meow mew meow mew meow meow meow meow mew mew. Meow meow mew meow meow meow meow mew meow meow meow meow!
Nya.

Thanks Bo, you've been a really good sport.

Thanks Bo

As always, the poll will decide which toy we use to play with Bo next, and I'll try to do a double feature next episode since we didn't do one this time.

Hurrock wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 am
Day 14:
We're at the end of our second week of Let's Play With Bo, My Cat.
Contest over, this wins, everyone else can go home. :3:

Seeing this thread gave me the push to try out LPing. My entry probably can't beat the one just above, but hey, you loose 100 % of chances you don't take.

Since I'm new to LPing, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Site Admin
Just a heads up, we are picking the prize-winners tomorrow, so there's still time to drop an update! After this, as might have been mentioned, the thread will become a "one-off updates for funsies/dipping your toes into LPing to see if you like it" thread, but wow, some really strong entries here!
Night Zap wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:41 pm
Since I'm new to LPing, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Apart from letting you know that images that would be next to each other in the poster would best be placed below each other, for tables reasons? That's a solid start, informative, explaining your reasoning, fairly well picked screenshots. If I had to be super picky, I'd say it could be laid out a little better when it came to bullet points, but that really is me nitpicking, that was a well done first update.

Working on a submission rn.

Hope you guys like commentary interspersed with gratuitous amounts of "uh".

The Vocaloid Songs 13 Years Later - Let's Play Project Diva MegaMix!

On today's episode of Project Diva MegaMix,

夢喰い白黒バク (trans. Dream Eating Monochrome Baku)
Music/Lyrics: Nem

Published July 4, 2011, Dream Eating Monochrome Baku tells a story of a Baku whom a girl calls until it ends up eating her metaphoric dreams as well. As of this writing, the original upload on NicoNicoDouga has 940,000+ views.

Thoughout his career, Nem primarily used Gumi and Len. This is Nem's most popular Len solo song; his most popular song overall, Ah, It's a Wonderful Cat Life, would not be able to make it into Project Diva due to the fact that it is a duet with Gumi. That said, Crypton did get permission to use Gumi in the Project Mirai games, so maybe someday...

Original PV

Like this song? Then you may enjoy these other Nem works:
Ah, It's a Wonderful Cat Life, Super Hero, A Love Story Of A Certain Bakeneko, The Bird That Crosses The Stars

Hey, for a first attempt at video anything, that wasn't bad at all. Your audio could use a little cleanup (some noise removal would have gone a long way), but the concept is good and you clearly know your stuff. I would totally watch an entire series of this. (I say, 3/4 of the way through my second playthrough of the entire 178 song track list)

JamieTheD wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am
Apart from letting you know that images that would be next to each other in the poster would best be placed below each other, for tables reasons?
...Whoops. You may not have been replying to me, but I took some splash damage. Good to know if I do go through with this, I suppose.

Site Admin
Aaaaaand the results!

Okay, folks, nine entries, all very fine, very fine indeed, and, after a bit of discussion, we have decided on four winners, and will be getting in touch with the prizes!

In no particular order:

Hurrock's "Let's Play With Bo, My Cat" - Top quality informative content about cat state machine AI. Rea's got a choice for you, so get in touch. :)
The Flying Twybil's Dwarf Fortress - A good tutorial, and a good reminder that god-damn, DF has a steep curve. But they lessened it with that. I'll be handling the prize there. :)
hopeandjoy's Project Diva MegaMix - Gotta admit, I'm glad this one got through, that was some solid tunes, and god knows, rhythm game LPs are underrepresented. Please get in touch with Artix on that one.
and finally, TheEnglishman's Brukel - I was hoping this one would get through, as hot damn, the game was as interesting as the commentary. And ChaosArgate's handling that prize.

I hope you've all enjoyed making these single updates, honourable mentions to all of you, and may future posters in this thread enjoy themselves, and dip their toes into LPing (or test out ideas)

Night Zap wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:41 pm
My entry probably can't beat the one just above, but hey, you loose 100 % of chances you don't take.
That's what we call a self-fulfilling prophecy, folks. Doesn't matter, I did this more for trying out LPing than for the prize. Congrats to the winners :golfclap:
JamieTheD wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am
Apart from letting you know that images that would be next to each other in the poster would best be placed below each other, for tables reasons? That's a solid start, informative, explaining your reasoning, fairly well picked screenshots. If I had to be super picky, I'd say it could be laid out a little better when it came to bullet points, but that really is me nitpicking, that was a well done first update.
Thanks for the tips!

As the first post-contest one-off, have this abridged version of one entire GBA game! And of course it's Hamtaro, because I have to stick to my brand.

Yapping Eevee wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 am

As the first post-contest one-off, have this abridged version of one entire GBA game! And of course it's Hamtaro, because I have to stick to my brand.
oh my god the :3: finally returns! It's been so long! Sad it's never going to be a full LP, but reading this I can fully understand why. Odd that this game seems so brutal compared to the others. But it still has plenty of :3: and that's what really matters.

Because I'm unable to stop myself from posting dumb stuff, and because I like doing these one-offs...