Marin Karin, Marout Karout - Let's Play Persona 3 Portable

Put your Let's Plays in here.

Let's Play Persona 3 Portable!

What is Persona?

Persona is a subseries of Atlus's Megami Tensei series of RPGs. Though generally known for being lighter on story compared to your Final Fantasies or Dragon Quests, and heavier on themes and art direction, Persona is more well known for its longer, more complex stories, full of Jungian psychology and highschool-age teen drama. Persona 3, originally released in 2006, is considered the first in the "Modern" Persona series, becoming part RPG and part Social Simulation, and straying a bit from its Megami Tensei roots.

What, specifically, is Persona 3 Portable?

Persona 3 Portable, released in 2009 for the PSP, is the second variant on Persona 3, after Persona 3 FES in 2007. In addition to all of FES's changes to the main story, Portable includes a large number of gameplay tweaks backported from Persona 4, which make the game play so much better. In addition, an option to play as a Female Protagonist was added. This is a feature not seen before or since, and features only the second female protagonist the series has seen. However, UMDs are physically smaller than DVDs, so things had to be cut.

Every FMV is reduced to normal dialogue with stills, the 3D explorable overworlds are replaced with 2D images, with a pointer that you scroll to points of interest you interact with, and the additional story from FES, The Answer, was cut in its entirety. This project started as gathering footage for a video essay about why I believe Portable to be the superior version, and I stand by that: The additions to gameplay are so damn necessary, and what was removed is honestly not a big loss.

What are your plans for this LP?

This is going to be a Max Social Links run as the Female Protagonist. I do not plan on completing the compendium. Elizabeth Requests are a maybe, but the last one is a bit of a problem child. Also, I may end up overleveled as a result of grinding for the excess of money we're going to need, especially early on. However, I would rather have an informative experience for you all than a challenging experience for myself. That has always been my goal and passion.

While I am open to viewer input, do keep in mind that I prerecord chunks at a time, split up for update purposes, so suggestions may not always make it in at a decent pace.

Spoiler Policy?

No Story Spoilers whatsoever. Not underneath tags, no coy implications, nothing. I consider Persona 3's story to be the best in the series, and it will NOT be ruined.

Gameplay spoilers, however, I'll be more lenient on. Perhaps keep it under tags, but I won't be too picky unless the gameplay in question directly relates to the story.

One more very important thing: This game deals with topics such as depression, suicide, loss, and trauma. If you are sensitive to such topics, tread with caution.

With all that said, let's get started.

Updates:

Update 1: The First Night
Update 2: School Life
Update 3: The Full Moon Rises
Update 4: SEES is Formed.
Update 5: Tartarus
Update 6: I already used my one Hiimdaisy joke so instead let's drag Junpei around everywhere
Update 7: Social Links, and Why You Shouldn't Do Them
Update 8: You're Very Brave For Getting Sick
Update 9: Seito Kaicho
Update 10: Falling In Love With A White-Haired Girl Voiced By Tara Platt
Update 11: Persimmon, Pine, it's all in the ground
Update 12: Everyone's Friend of Desire
Update 13: Doki Doki Health Club
Update 14: Priestess of the Rails
Update 15: The Persona Compendium
Last edited by kokorikopi on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:43 am, edited 16 times in total.

Update 1: The First Night

Honestly, I'm somewhat at a loss for words that I haven't said in the OP. Persona 3 Portable, featuring our female protagonist.

Pressing Start switches which protagonist is displayed; it's selected at random on boot.

[Persona 3 FES] 02 - Brand New days -The Beginning-

To be honest, while this game's OST is probably my least favorite of "Modern" Persona, it's like comparing a 9/10 to two 10/10s.

> In this game, you can select the gender of the main character.
> The course of the game will change based on the main character's gender.
> By choosing a male main character, you will be able to play a version very close to the original P3.
> This is recommended for new players who have yet to experience P3.
> The female main character added to this game is not just for female players...
> She is also for veterans of P3 and P3 FES who want a new perspective.
> Now, please choose a gender.

We're picking FeMC, who, despite the statement above, doesn't change the main plot drastically. She brings a number of changes that I'll mention as we get to them, but you won't be missing out if you only play FeMC.

Maniac Mode is a new difficulty to P3P.

Beginner: The player is given 30 of a consumable item that lets you immediately retry a failed battle. Enemies deal significantly less damage.
Easy: The player is given 10 of that consumable. Enemies deal less damage.
Hard: Enemies deal 50% more damage, and have a higher chance of neutral encounters becoming disadvantageous.
Maniac: Enemies deal 2x damage, higher chance of neutral encounters becoming disadvantageous, certain weapons become unavailable, and New Game Plus files carry no information.

We're going Normal, because I'm not that good at video games, and Persona 3 can be rather brutal.

There's a snide joke I could make about Atlus's beliefs, but Atlus USA has a good head on their shoulders.

We start on a shot of clouds parting to reveal the moon.

> Terminal station, evening.

Image: I just...put it to my head...and pull the trigger. No chickening out...

Image: No, I can't!

Not...sure what that was about. Was she trying to kill herself?

M-Moving right along!

"We apologize to any customers who were in a hurry.
The next stop is Iwatodai.

This is the final train bound for Tatsumi Port Island. Please take care to board before our departure."

Oh well, it can't be helped.

The shot of a pink clock ticking its last seconds before midnight, turning green and shattering when it hits. Get used to this.

> Something about the atmosphere seems odd.
> It would probably be best to hurry to the dorm.

The power has gone out. That's not a good thing to see.

> As you walk from the station...
> You notice coffin-like objects lining the deserted city.

That's an even worse thing to see! Where is everyone? I know it's late, but someone? Anyone?

Face? No Face? Good.

> This is the dorm mentioned in your admission pamphlet.

Let's get out of the presumed cold. I can hear the wind howling, at least...

Look, I know, it's not my fault, blame the subway.

Also, who are you?

That's not an answer.

Image: If you want to proceed, please sign here. It's a contract. There's no need to be scared. It only binds you to accepting full responsibility for your actions.

> Something is written on the paper he's holding out to you.
> I chooseth this fate of mine own free will.
> Below it is a blank to sign your name...

Oh yeah, I guess we don't have a name yet.

Currently, Kotone Shiomi is accepted as FeMC's canon name. Minako Arisato was generally accepted, including being accidentally used on an official SEGA poll, but that name had no official basis aside from that. Kotone Shiomi was the name used when she appeared in Puzzle and Dragons, of all things.

Image: Time is something no one can escape. It delivers us to the same end. Wishing won't make it go away.
Image: And so it begins...

Image: Don't tell me...

Is this a threat? Am I being threatened? Or is it a prank? I'd much rather it be a prank.

Okay, thank God, things didn't get ugly.

Persona 3 OST - This Mysterious Feeling

I didn't either.

Image: My name is Mitsuru Kirijo. I'm one of the students who live in this dorm.

Mitsuru is voiced by Tara Platt, known most recently as Edelgard von Hresvelg in Fire Emblem: Three Houses start something about her and you'll regret it, but also voices Yuri Watanabe in Spider-Man PS4, Tron Bonne in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Temari in Naruto, and both Flavia and Miriel in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Image: She's a transfer student. It was a last minute decision to assign her here. She'll eventually be moved to a room in a normal dorm.

Image: Is it alright for her to be here?

Image: I guess we'll see.

Image: This is Yukari Takeba. She'll be a junior this spring, just like you.

> Nice to meet you.

Yukari is voiced by Michelle Ruff, known for Luna in the modern Sailor Moon dubs, Sadayo Kawakami in Persona 5, Noire from Fire Emblem Awakening, and Katherine from Catherine, the last of which won her an award as a supporting character in a drama.

Image: Uh, y-yeah... Nice to meet you too.

Image: Your things should already be there. I suggest you tuck in for the night.

Image: Oh, I'll show you the way. Follow me.

Image: Pretty easy to remember, huh? Since it's right at the end of the hall.

> Does that boy live here?

Image💦: What are you talking about? ...C'mon, it's not funny.

Okay, maybe seeing a bunch of coffins in the street wasn't good for me. Or did only I see that, as well?

Image: Um, can I ask you something?

...Or maybe not? Let's play it cool, to be safe.

> Yeah.

Image: I see. Never mind, then. Well, I'd better get going.

Image: I'm sure you still have other questions, but...let's save them for later, okay?

Image: Good night!

> Yukari walked down the stairs.

Persona 3 OST - Iwatodai Station

Tutorial time! Pressing the R button from here...

Turns on what you can and can't interact with! Extremely useful feature that cuts out the fat of exploring a 3D space, while still showing you said space.

Interacting with the mirror gets us this...

But we are too tired to watch TV or study.

We can check the calendar, though. It runs from now...

To March of next year. We were given a year, I suppose.

Rather than ruminate on it, though, I'm gonna call it a day.

Being threatened will do that to you.

I love Persona 3, man. The addition of a female protag and the QOL upgrades were desperately needed, but it does suck that the PSP version looks so much worse. And that the male romance routes aren't as interesting, iirc. Let me be a lesbian, cowards!

I have never played P3 (still need to play both halves of P2 of all things) so this looks to be suuuuuuuper interesting.

A P3P LP! Didja see that, Shinji?

Most of the male romance routes suck, but there's one that I enjoy immensely for a couple different reasons.

While it's true UMDs have less storage capacity than DVDs and the PSP is a less powerful system in general, I never really bought the idea that Persona 3 Portable had to be cut down so heavily just for technical reasons. I know the PSP can do amazing things in the right hands, at least if the budget is there.

As I understand it, P3P was developed by a small team on a relative shoestring budget, so they likely didn't have the resources to put in the work required to fit the full Persona 3 experience on the PSP and add the female protagonist path, which would've required a lot of new scenes and assets to be created. The technical limitations certainly wouldn't have made things any easier, but I feel the usual "the PSP couldn't handle Persona 3" reasoning for the changes is a bit of an oversimplification.

I don't think I've seen the differences between this and the original, so I am looking forward to this.

So I may have lost an update I was a good chunk of the way into writing. On the upside, this gave me the motivation to seek out how to dump text from the game, meaning I have raw dumps now.

School Life

You're supposed to have the option to ignore her here, but it didn't show up. The text is as follows:
Open the door
Ignore her

Hello! Please answer the door, or I'll get in trouble!
You decide you had better not ignore her.
Nothing special, I guess.

Image: Mitsuru-senpai asked me to take you to school.

> Totally!

Never gonna turn down the opportunity to hang out with a pretty girl.

Image: Okay. Then, let's go.

Please, take the opportunity to listen to one of the best songs on the soundtrack: Time.

Image: This is my favorite part... when it feels like you're gliding over the sea. Our stop is Port Island Station at the end of the line. From there, we walk. Have you ever heard of Tatsumi Port Island? It's a man-made island. They built our school right in the middle. Oh, look, you can see it now!

I missed the shot, but this is inside the train we took to get here.

There's a panning shot downwards from the top of the school.

Image: Well, here we are... Welcome to Gekkoukan High! You're gonna love it here!

Eagle-eyed viewers might notice that Gekkoukan means full moon in Japanese. I wonder what the central imagery of this game is going to revolve around? I'd make a joke about the term "moonrunes", but that's beneath me.

Image: You should go see your homeroom teacher first. The Faculty Office is right there to the left.

> Nope, I'll be okay.

The Faculty Office should have that information. Or someone else should, I guess.

Image: About last night... Don't tell anyone what you saw, okay?

Image: ...See ya later.

I'm pretty sure if I told anyone that my classmate threatened me with a gun, in Japan, she'd be suspended on the spot.

We get a bit of freedom to explore the school. I'm an idiot and only talk to people in the main hall, because I forgot what locked you into progress, and despite my script dump, actually navigating to find optional scenes like this is a pain in the ass.

Image: School just started! You really ougtta find somewhere to change into some normal clothes!

Image: Okay, okay, fine. Quit glaring at me like that... Hey, where's the homerooms posted...?

Image: It's RIGHT THERE! You're in Class F, Kaz. I'm in a different homeroom, so I can't keep an eye on you...*sigh* I worry about you sometimes.

New characters! No voices, but we can guess they'll be important later.

"Actually, I'm new here, so you should probably ask someone else."

What if they don't know either? Someone's gonna have to step up and ask an adult.

How bad can he possibly be?

"Kotone Shiomi - Class F"
> You look closer and notice that the name "Yukari Takeba" is also on the list.
> It seems that you'll be in the same class as her.

Well, that's good. Always nice to have a friend in your homeroom. Something I definitely missed out on.

"I mean, we'll never see them again after we graduate anyways."

Don't be so pessimistic. That attitude led me to not befriending anyone, and now I have nobody to relate to about high school; all my friends went to public school.

What should I do...?
What should I do...?

Faculty office. Deep breaths.

Image: Eh, whatever.

Another new face, another reminder that Atlus only has six faces. This one isn't as bad as the characters in Catherine, though.

Image: We're their teachers. We've lived longer than them. But Moriyama and her gang had to pull that on me at the very beginning of the term...

Image: Even YOU'RE shooing me away? Some way to start the school year... I don't think my nerves can take this.

"Alright, I get it. You want me to order more of those cream-filled breads you like so much, right? You could have just asked..."

Man, this guy has confidence issues. Hope he's not our teacher.

Apple Strudels and Cutlet Sandwiches are just healing items. The Book Cover is for something later. Yawn-B-Gones are extremely important, though, so I grab one. You can only buy 3 per week and they restock on Saturdays.

Going towards the Faculty office, I don't end up speaking to these two, but they are both named characters with faces that we'll see later.

Oh well.

Image: Kotone Shiomi...11th grade, correct?

Any instance of your name is not spoken, for obvious reasons.

> The teacher is flipping through pages in a file.

Image Wow, you've lived in a lot of different places... Let's see... In 1999... That was what, ten years ago? Your parents-- *gasp*

Image: I'm sorry... I've been so busy, I didn't have time to read this beforehand.

Ms. Toriumi is voiced by Valerie Arem, also known for taking over the role of Naoto Shirogane after Persona 4, Bombshell in Bombshell and Ion Maiden, and Kikyo Konoe in Bravely Default.

> Nice to meet you!

Image: Such enthusiasm! We could use more go-getters like you.

Image: Have you seen the classroom assignments? You're in 2-F; that's my class. But first, we need to go to the auditorium. The Welcoming Ceremony will be starting soon. Follow me.

This actually marks the end of the first "chunk" that the script is separated into internally. Does this matter at all to you? No. But I find it interesting.

"I'd like each of you to remember the proverb, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well." When applied to student life, this means..."

> The Principal continues with his speech...
> ......?
> You can hear the students around you whispering about something...

Is this the part where I start quoting John Mulaney about assemblies? 'cause I will.

"No kidding? So...? How's she look?"

"She's sitting right over there..."

I...appreciate being checked out...? I think?

Image: I believe it's someone in Ms. Toriumi's class...

> It doesn't seem like the rumors will stop anytime soon...

Great. Who leaked my criminal record?

I will say, I do miss this feeling. It's something college doesn't quite have.

Oh, boy, here it starts again...

> Who are you?

Image: Me?

Image: I'm Junpei Iori. Nice to meet ya.

Junpei is voiced by Vic Mignogna, and unfortunately, unlike his other roles, no new Persona 3 content has come out since his whole incident, so Junpei hasn't been recasted. I would prefer that be the end of the discussion about him.

Image: I transferred here when I was in 8th grade. I know how tough it is bein' the new kid... So I thought I'd check up on you, make sure you weren't freaking out on your first day.

Oh, that's...awfully nice of you. I apprecia--

Image: Did you ever think you might be bothering someone?

Oh, is that what this is about? Sorry, buddy, but I'm--

Image: What? But, I was just bein' friendly!

Image: If you say so.

...I'm getting mixed messages here.

> I'm glad to have a friend.

Image: A friend? Oh... you mean me. Yeah, I... I'm glad we ended up in the same class, too.

Image: By the way, do you guys know each other? I heard you two came to school together this morning. A couple of cuties like you, walking side by side... The whole class was buzzing about you.

What are you insinuating here, Junpei?

Image: Ugh... Could you just cut it out? I hate dealing with rumors like that.

Image: I mean, I'm used to it, but she just got here, you know? Don't you feel bad, spreading rumors like that?

Image: ...Well, I've gotta go take care of some archery team stuff. Don't try anything funny, you got that, Junpei?

Translation: I'm not used to it, but I have someone to deflect to now.

I appreciate that, assuming you're being genuine.

He is.

> I'll remember that.

Image: Heh, cool. Well, I'll be seeing you around, then.

Well, that wasn't so bad.

Image: Whoa, check out the jocks on their run... Hey, did anyone tell you about the school clubs yet? Girls can join too, so why not do it if you're interested? You'd be joining as a new member, though, so you won't be able to apply for a little while.

Something to keep in mind if we have free time.

> You made small talk with Junpei while walking back...

Back at the dorm...

Prepare for this every night. Not that it's a bad thing, I guess.

Options at the sign-in sheet. I save the game.

Image: Anyway, you must be tired. You should get a good night's rest.

This is the first night we get to explore the dorm, so I'll be doing that.

"--it's a trend that just might spread all over town. Our next story is about the cherry blossoms. It's springtime, and they're all over town now."

Eh.

> Just looking around.

Image: Well, there's not much to see... You're probably pretty tired, huh? Maybe you should go to bed early tonight.

I refuse.

This one is just flavor text.

This one is flavor text, but with sounds!

I don't think it helps you, though, unlike P4 and 5.

On the second and third floors are vending machines.

Each one costs 120 yen. I grab one of each, 'cause why not?

Most of the doors say they're empty, but this one...

"I'm busy now. Sorry, but could you come back later?"

Mitsuru and Yukari aren't in their rooms.

The 4th floor has more bathrooms, but also...

More locked doors. Shit.

Time for bed.

Image: Have you seen the newspapers lately?

Image: ...I know. People who had no problems before are suddenly developing acute cases of 📗Apathy Syndrome. I've seen it in the news quite often lately. They say it's due to stress, but...

Image: Yeah, right. It has to be THEM. Otherwise, it's not worth my time.

Image: You have a one-track mind... Will you be okay on your own?

Image: Don't worry. I'm just getting a little practice.

Put two and two together, and that's our next roommate, I suppose.

P3P is my favourite Persona. I like nearly all the team-mates and most of the social links. The female protagonist is cheerful, as far as a mostly-silent protag can be, and I love her foot-tapping animation at the start of battles.

I didn't realise who played Junpei :(

I forget whether this is true or not, but I remember someone mentioning that Yukari is way, way nicer to FeMC than OG MC. Or at least less standoffish. I would have to compare lines directly to know for sure though.

Junpei is a good boy, not as good as Ryuji but less of a shitlord than Yosuke can be. I appreciate his completely platonic older brotherly vibes with FeMC.

Oh hey, I just started playing this again the other day, mostly because I was messing around with a PSTV. Its a little weird adjusting back to this coming off P5R, but its nothing major.
Tanegashima wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:18 pm
I forget whether this is true or not, but I remember someone mentioning that Yukari is way, way nicer to FeMC than OG MC. Or at least less standoffish. I would have to compare lines directly to know for sure though.

Junpei is a good boy, not as good as Ryuji but less of a shitlord than Yosuke can be. I appreciate his completely platonic older brotherly vibes with FeMC.
I do remember Yukari being easier to get along with as a girl; this ties into the game mechanics too, but I'll let OP get to that when they get to it.
Doc Morbid wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:47 pm
While it's true UMDs have less storage capacity than DVDs and the PSP is a less powerful system in general, I never really bought the idea that Persona 3 Portable had to be cut down so heavily just for technical reasons. I know the PSP can do amazing things in the right hands, at least if the budget is there.

As I understand it, P3P was developed by a small team on a relative shoestring budget, so they likely didn't have the resources to put in the work required to fit the full Persona 3 experience on the PSP and add the female protagonist path, which would've required a lot of new scenes and assets to be created. The technical limitations certainly wouldn't have made things any easier, but I feel the usual "the PSP couldn't handle Persona 3" reasoning for the changes is a bit of an oversimplification.
I'm kind of wondering if the PSP could handle the daily life portions of this game; I remember reading some modders talk about how replacing the low-poly MC model with one from even just the PS2 version crashed the game, or something to that effect. If they did have the technical expertise and budget, they probably could have optimized the renderer to handle rendering all of the models and environments, but yeah, going full VN for daily life was probably a smart budgetary choice.

ChaosArgate wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I'm kind of wondering if the PSP could handle the daily life portions of this game; I remember reading some modders talk about how replacing the low-poly MC model with one from even just the PS2 version crashed the game, or something to that effect. If they did have the technical expertise and budget, they probably could have optimized the renderer to handle rendering all of the models and environments, but yeah, going full VN for daily life was probably a smart budgetary choice.
In terms of power, the PSP probably could have handled it, but I think it's moreso that the PSP's screen size is a bit ass for it and it would either require the UI to be significantly shrunk or the camera to be pulled way back, if not both. I prefer the 2D Style anyways, I'd rather know what I can and can't interact with.

Update 3: The Full Moon Rises

Gossiping Student: "Did you hear the rumor...?"

Loud Student: "Oh, um...something about a bathroom?"

Gossiping Student: "N-No! Not that one! I mean the story about the first-year student! Not only did she stop coming to school, she does nothing but sit and stare at the walls all day. If her mother tries to talk to her, she only mutters to herself, "It's coming... It's coming...!"

Loud Student: "Huh. How about that."

Gossiping Student: "You don't believe me...?"

Huh, what an interesting conversation that will for sure never be relevant again.

Image: Ugh... why him? I'd rather teach Utsubo Kubota. He became famous as a singer, but he's also produced fine literature. I wonder why it's not in the textbook. Well, I'll just bring Kubota's book next time.

Image: Who did I say was my favorite author?

A mechanic has revealed itself! Teachers can ask you or your classmate a question. Usually it's just a matter of paying attention, but sometimes they'll pull something out of left field that you're expected to get wrong and remember.

> Utsubo Kubota

Image: That's right! So you were listening to me after all!

Image: Eheheh... Well, you know how I like to pay attention! Man, you saved my bacon, Kotone!

"Kotone gave him the answer...She must pay attention in class!"

> You became slightly more popular!

And with that, we get a boost to Charm, one of our three social stats!

> There's nothing to do, so you decide to go back to the dorm.

> Yukari is already here, talking with an unfamiliar man...

Image: Good evening.

Ikutsuki is voiced by Dan Woren, who voices Stroheim in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency, Hanneman in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, as well as a later character in this game.

Image: "Ikutsuki"... Hard to say, isn't it? That's why I don't like introducing myself. Even I get tongue-tied sometimes...

I dunno. The characters in-universe pronounce it properly, as "eh-koots-key", which isn't that hard to say.

Image: I apologize about the confusion regarding your accommodations. However, it may take a while longer before you receive the proper room assignment.

Hmm...

> Why did you come here?

Image: To welcome you, of course.

Image: Speaking of which... Where's Mitsuru, Yukari?

Image: She's upstairs.

Image: As diligent as always. Although, it doesn't hurt to come down and say hello...

> Who else lives here?

Image: There are only four students in this dorm: You, Yukari here, Mitsuru...And a senior named Akihiko Sanada.

Image: I hope you all get along.

> I saw something odd...

Image: You saw something strange? ...Like what?

Image: ......

Image: You were probably just tired. I wouldn't worry about it. It's bad for your complexion, you know.

> Something doesn't seem right...

I do worry about my complexion...

> No, not really.

Image: Then, I hope you have a successful school year. Now, if you'll excuse me...

Image: You must be tired from all the excitement. You should go to bed early.

...That's not really...a pun...

Also, the only existing line rerecorded for FES compared to OG, and the original take is used. Weird.

Image: ...... You'll get used to his lame jokes.

> You decided to return to your room and sleep.

Image: So, how's she doing?

...Am I being creeped on?

Image: Mr. Chairman, do you think she's...?

Image: Well, let's wait and see for now. ...The Dark Hour is approaching.

> Upbeat music is playing from the radio that the man threw away...

Kirijo Electronics? Like Mitsuru Kirijo? Huh.

"The time is now midnight."

I'm gonna capture this shot every time it comes up and see where exactly I land. It's the same shot every time.

Image: ...What the...? Wh...What's happening to me...?

That's bad, I think. I don't know for sure, but pattern recognition tells me that bleeding black is a bad.

> Back at a certain room in the dormitory...

Image: Hmm...She's still sleeping.

Exposition! Poorly-justified exposition. Oh well, I'm used to it.

Image: Then, she must be...

Image: As you can see, she's retained her human form. She's asleep, but she's definitely experiencing the Dark Hour. The only question that remains is whether or not she has the 📗potential. Although, she must. ...If she didn't, they would've preyed on her by now.

Image: Scary...

Image: In any case, we should continue to monitor her for a few more days.

Image: Yes, Sir.

Okay, so they're not just perving on me.

Image: I feel kinda bad, though, spying on her like this...

It's still pretty weird.

Huh...?

Persona 3 OST - Aria of the Soul

> The paper you signed at the dorm is lying before Igor...

Igor is the other character voiced by Dan Woren, and he's the primary link tying the games together. Otherwise, the games have no major links that you need to know to understand eachother.

> Is this a dream?

Oh, I'm sure we'll become very acquainted.

It seems like the Velvet Key doesn't "exist" outside of the Velvet Room, otherwise you'd have proof that it wasn't a dream.

Image: In times like these, it's best to sleep during class!

> Don't sleep in class.

I'm not being a hardass, I'm just giving him good gameplay advice. It's a waste of perfectly good social stat points.

Image: Whaaat? Why do you have to be all seriuous? That feeling of being completely recharged is awesome...But I'm screwed later since I didn't hear the lecture!

That's also true.

Image: Oh, but we have classic literature today... That means we're stuck with Mr. Nasty ol' Ekoda.

The way Nasty is capitalized, it makes me wonder if this is a nickname like Persona 4's King Moron that didn't translate well.

Image: I'll be teaching you about good old Japan all year. Some people say Classic Lit isn't relevant to everyday life, but oh, how they're wrong! The students, the other teachers... Wrong, wrong, wrong! Nobody really understands Classic Lit...

I think studying literature can be important, but you could also end up with people who can't get across how bad someone is without comparing them to Voldemort...

If you sleep, your condition is automatically set to Great.

If you stay up...

Image: Hey... Are you all listening to me? Wake up, children! Now open your textbooks. First on our syllabus is "Ise Monogatari," the origin of Japanese literature.

Hey, a story that I know about! Japanese literature does have a fascina--

Was it worth it?

Yes. Absolutely.

TIME FOR THE BEST SONG ON THE SOUNDTRACK!

Persona 3 Portable: A Way of Life

HELL yes. This song alone justfies playing FeMC, though MC's equivalent isn't bad either.

Persona 3 OST - When the Moon's Reaching Out Stars

The funny thing is that this song left some influence on the rest of the soundtrack, in pieces that aren't replaced as FeMC. The same actually applies to the MC equivalent of Time, Want To Be Close.

Persona 3 OST - Want to be Close

Image: A lot of Gekkoukan students come here after school.

I'm singling this line out because Yukari reads Karaoke as "Kara-okay." This game's dub is largely good, but there's a handful of missteps. That said, this is 2006, when the standard for dubs was a lot lower than it is now, so I'll let it slide.

Image: There's also a nightclub, but that's kinda not for us yet.

Obviously this means we'll be there.

> The Paulownia Mall is crowded with students on their way back from school...

Fade out.

Image: The moon is beautiful tonight. It might be nice to read a book by moonlight once in a while.

Image: Their main purpose is to send the school reports about daily life here in the dorm.

...Man, this game came out before The Orange Box. That's so weird to think about.

> You're right.

Maybe so.

Mitsuru really is just Red Weiss, huh.

Image: You know, if you're handy around the kitchen, I bet you could really do something with this place.

I can make...eggs, somewhere between hard scrambled and an omlelette, and hashbrowns.

Let's just get to sleep early.

Midnight rolls over once again.

Image: ...The same as last night.

Image: Hmm... Very interesting. Even those who have the potential tend to be unstable at first... ...Memory loss... disorientation... But, this subject is rather unique. She hasn't exhibited any of the common symptoms.

Cool protagonist powers include instant mastery of your hidden mystical talents.

Image: But... we're treating her like a guinea pig.

Image: I understand your concern, but it's imperative that we recruit new members.

Image: I heard she's in your class... Wouldn't you be more comfortable working with someone from the same grade? A female classmate, at that.

Image: Yeah, I guess. But, still...

A ping occurs.

Persona 3 OST - Crisis

Image: Unfortunately I don't have time to talk... It's chasing me... I wanted to let you guys know. I'm almost there.

Image: Does that mean... he's bringing that thing here!?

This seems like a major mistake, if it's that dangerous.

Image: Mr. Chairman! Let's suspend our observation for now. We'll prepare for battle!

Image: ...R-Right! Be careful!

Image: Akihiko!

Image: I'm alright.

Image: Get ready to be surprised... It'll be here any second.

Image: This is no time to joke around!

Image: It's one of them, Akihiko?

Image: Yes, but not an ordinary one--

The screen rumbles.

Image: Ahh! What the...!? ...You've gotta be kidding me!

Image: Mr. Chairman, please head for the command room! Takeba, go upstairs and wake her up! Then, escape out the back.

Image: But, what about you two?

Image: We'll stop it here. You led it to us, Akihiko, so I'm afraid you'll have to fight.

Image: Like I had a choice! What are you waiting for, Yukari? Go!

Image: I-I'm going!

We'd better listen.

> Okay!

Image: Hurry! Downstairs! We'll leave through the back door!

Image: Wait!

Image: ...Take this, just in case.

...Uh, Yukari, what is--

Oh, okay.

Wait, a weapon?

Image: Okay, let's go! Follow me!

Going!

[beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep]

Image, voice only: Takeba, do you read me?

Image: Y-Yes! I hear you!

Image, voice only: Be careful! There's more than one enemy! The one we're fighting isn't the one Akihiko saw!

Image: What?!

[Screen shake]

Image: *gasp* L-Let's pull back!

Image: What was that?!

[Violent crawling noises, increasing in volume]

Image: It's getting closer!

Image: K-Keep moving! Hurry!

Image: *sigh* The door's locked. I think we're safe for now.

That's bullshit and you know it.

See?!

One hand...

Two hands...

...Thirteen hands...

It's making a squelchy gross noise when it moves.

Image: It climbed up the wall...?!

Image: That gigantic Shadow... Just what is it we're dealing with?!

Image: ...Let's go, Mitsuru!

Image: Wait!

Image: O-Oh yeah... I have to fight... I... I can summon mine... No problem.

Here's perhaps the most interesting unused thing so far: A text description for this scene, which is entirely 3D Animation. Inserted as it becomes approprtiate:
> Yukari took out the "gun" she showed you before...
> However, rather than aiming it toward the enemy, she pointed it at herself...!

Image: *gasp* *gasp* Ngh...

> ...But she was unable to pull the trigger.

Image: Aaaah!
> The "gun" Yukari had slid to your feet...
> You pick it up, finding that it is colder and heavier than you thought...
> Yet for some reason, it feels natural in your hand...
> Yukari aimed this "gun" at herself...
> Something inside you tells you that you can do the same thing...
Image: Per...so...na...

Image: Thou art I... And I am thou... From the sea of thy soul I cometh... I am Orpheus, master of strings.

> You feel power surging from within you...!
> Something monstrous emerged from Orpheus...!

(open in new tab for best effect, i refuse to resize gifs)
What...was that?! It tore that gigantic shadow apart!

Orpheus, the legendary magician of Greek myth. Known for going to Hades to request his wife back from Hades, who allowed him to take her back, on the condition that he not look back at her until they reached the upper world. When he looked back, she was still in the underworld, and vanished forever.

If you think this depiction of Orpheus is too feminine for a masculine mythological figure, you'd be correct. FeMC has her own unique design of Orpheus, exclusive to her. Here is Male MC's Orpheus:

I quite like the designs of Orpheus, though I'm partial to FeMC's design, to the point where I paid for the DLC in Persona 5 Royal to get her.

Image: What on earth was that...?!

[squelch]

Image: It's still moving...!

Image: No... G-Get away from me!

> You have to save her...!

TUTORIAL FIGHT! TUTORIAL FIGHT!

Sorry, everyone has one.

Our first real combat! Using attack just deals a small amount of damage that costs no HP nor SP.

Skills deal more damage but cost HP for physical skills, or SP for Magic.

Persona allows us to switch through our stock, and is only accessible to the Protagonist.

In our stock is Orpheus, and we can see her stats!

St: Physical damage, except for the normal attack.
Ma: Magical damage.
En: Defense against both.
Ag: Evasion, Accuracy and Turn Order.
Luck: Affects critical hits and statuses.

Elements are split between 3 Physical elements (Slash, Strike, and Pierce), and 6 Magic elements (Fire, Ice, Thunder, Wind, Light, and Dark, the last two being exclusive to Instant Kill moves.)

Bash is a basic physical Strike attack that costs 5HP. At level 2, Orpheus will learn Agi, a basic Fire skill that costs 3SP.

At level 3, Orpheus will give us an Agi Skill Card. I'll explain them later.

Defense is an option new to Persona 3 Portable, backported from Persona 4. This reduces damage taken, and also nullfies any knockdown effects.

Kotone's normal attack is Slash-element.

As are the Cowardly Maya's.

WHAM! Bash instakills the other Maya, and I finish the first one with another slash.

We get enough EXP to level up!

Only the protagonist has separate level-ups like this. They only increase HP and SP.

Everyone else shares a level with their Persona.

This happens every time, and I'll be skipping it every time.

Nice.

> It seems Yukari is safe, too...
> ......
> You feel exhausted...
> You are losing consciousnes...
> ...

Looks like we weren't so immune to the sideeffects after all.

"Come on...! Please...! Can you hear me!? Answer me!"

> This is... the "Velvet Room," was it?

Ah. Sound normal.

> My psyche?

Yeah, I wanna know what Orpheus has to do with me! I wouldn't look back at my wife in that instance! It's not like my anxiety is chronic or like I get distracted easily or anything like that!

...Oh.

The basis of the Persona is in Jungian psychology, where it...is pretty much this. The concept of the Jungian Shadow isn't explored until Persona 4, however.

> A mask?

Got it memorized?

Blink animation! My friend! I don't think we'll get any funny ones here, but Persona 5 has mid-blink-frames, and those can get some good shots.

Well, he said time passed while we were unconscious, but how long could it have really been?

Oh.

Last edited by kokorikopi on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaaaah I can't deal with Igor's sprite at all. Stop looking at me with your weird, buggy eye man!

Also, nice KH reference.

Wrong Persona game, but: Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKWIeDZCaCA

Good morning, Crono! Er, Kotone.

Grumpy Turtle wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:43 am
Wrong Persona game, but: Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKWIeDZCaCA
God, I forgot how fucking funny hiimdaisy's comics were. Time to re-watch all of them.

There's a few [n] tags in there, and an "exploed" instead of "explored" at one point.

I'm the odd one out with very mixed feelings on Persona 3, but there's plenty yet to come before I can really dive into why.

theshim wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:55 pm
There's a few [n] tags in there, and an "exploed" instead of "explored" at one point.
Whoops. The [n] tags are from the script dump; they're linebreaks.

I feel like I saw the exploed, but I guess I forgot to fix it, eheh.

Both are done now.

So it turns out there's a ton about this game I don't even remember, so this thread will be doubly fun now.

I wonder if the text description of Kotone's first Persona summon was from an earlier draft where even the combat was more VN-esque (kind of like older SMT games, or slightly newer ones like Strange Journey).

i'm not distracted, you're distracted

SEES is Formed.

I would hope so, considering we've been out for over a week. How much school did we miss?!

If I missed nine days of Gacha dailies I'd have an anxiety attack.

It'd be one hell of a rest, though.

Persona 3 OST - Tranquility

If you say "Where am I...?" she explains that this is Tatsumi Port Hospital.

> Have you been here long?"

Image: Come here often?

Image: ...I was so worried about you...

Image: The doctor couldn't find anything wrong with you. He said you were just exhausted...

For TEN DAYS???

Image: Um... I'm sorry I couldn't do anything...

I'm not sure why I picked that one, since Yukari specifically explained them, but whatever.

> What were those things?

Image: They're what we're fighting against. And the power you used... We call it "Persona." We'll explain everything later. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before...

I mean, fair enough, it was a hectic night.

In more ways than one, but we'll get to that.

> What do you mean?

Image: My dad died in an accident when I was little... And my mom and I aren't exactly on good terms... ...You're all alone too, right?

Oh, that. Fair enough.

Who leaked my criminal record?

Image: But, it didn't seem fair, so I wanted you to know about mine...

Well, that's another way we're similar: We overshare easily.

Image: It was back in '99... There was a big explosion in the area. Supposedly, my dad died in the blast, but nobody really knows what happened...

Image: So, I'm hoping that if I stick around long enough, I'll find out something.

That seems...like the wrong way to handle it. The Kirijo group seems to have a hand in quite a lot, and you're working for its heiress.

Image: That's why I'm going to Gekkoukan High, and why I was there when this happened to you. ...Of course, I panicked and wasn't much help... It was my first time fighting them, too.

I mean, I acted entirely on instinct. I couldn't LET myself be scared, but...

> I was scared, too.

Image: Really...? But still... And here I am telling you all this the minute you wake up.

I draw attention to this line to point out that the line actually says him/he/him instead of her/she/her. This is due to the Japanese line being non-gendered, and thus not having a different take for FeMC.

Image: So, thanks for listening. I've been wanting to share that story with someone for a long time.

Image: ...Alright, I'm gonna get going. I'll let the others know you woke up.

Image: Us second-year girls gotta stick up for each other, after all. B-Bye.

No more sempai! Don't even need a training camp for it.

NICE.

Something like that.

Oh?

> What is it?

Image: Actually... Oh, wait! I'm not supposed to say anything! Sorry, man. *chuckle*

Don't be so down on him, I'm sure he has a very good reason to be excited.

I wanna call her that. Can I call her that?

Image: You two live in the same dorm, yet came separately today? Is it... because you'll cause too many rumors again, hm?

Man, just chill out about that.

Image: What? I just left a little late! Anyways, I need to talk to her. Bye-bye, Junpei.

Image: Whaaaat...

I think she likes me. She's blushing just by saying my name with no honorific.

Image: Um, sorry to hit you with this first thing in the morning... ...but Ikutsuki-san wants to talk to you today. Come to the 4th floor of the dorm after school, okay? Don't forget.

Alright, off to class.

Image: And that wraps it up for the Stone Age. *sigh*... I'm tired of lessons about stones. I'd rather talk about the Sengoku era! Japanese history's not that exciting until then. Though I'm paid to do this, so I've gotta... It's tough being an adult.

I have too many quesitons about this, so I'm just not gonna ask about any of them.

Image: Next is... the Jomon period? When do the samurai get their day in the sun!?

...Well, at least he admits it.

Image: What was the style of houses in the Jomon period called?

...Isn't that the entire point of history class?

> Mud Huts.

Image: That's correct. Mud huts were built by digging a hole in the ground and supporting the roof. ...It's no use. I can't get interested. Ugh... I wanna get to the age of katanas. Everything else is so dull...

Why did you become a teacher?

Image: Tch... Oh well. Thanks, Kotone.

Yay.

I'd rather be early than late, I guess...

...It still took us all day to get back, though. Huh?

Image: I'm glad that you're okay. I wasn't sure what I'd do if anything had happened to you. The reason I asked you here is because I needed to talk to you. Please, have a seat.

Image: Oh, before that.

Akihiko Sanada, voiced by Liam O'Brien. Also known for Inigo from Fire Emblem Awakening, Infinite from Sonic Forces, Nobutsuna Kamiizumi from Bravely Default, and a common recent voice for Red Skull and Dr. Strange in Marvel works.

Image: Okay, let me start off by asking you this...

> Excuse me?

Image: You had to have noticed the signs... The streetlights went out... Nothing was working... There were coffins everywhere... Didn't it feel like you were in a different time...?

I just assumed I took too much Benadryl or something.

...I guess happening the night I used my Persona in the same way disproves that, though.

> Hidden?

Image: But, the Dark Hour does exist. It occurs each night at midnight. It'll happen tonight, and every night to come.

Alright, okay. Alright. I see.

...That sounds real dark out of context.

Image: But, that's not what makes the Dark Hour so interesting.

Image: We call them "Shadows." They only appear during the Dark Hour, and attack anyone not in a coffin.

Image: I CRAVE BLOOD.

Image: You just got hurt the other day!

Image: Now, now. He does his work well.

Yes, SEES is pronounced phonetically, like a YouTube Poop.

Image: On paper, we're classified as a school club. But in reality, this group is dedicated to defeating the Shadows. Mitsuru is the leader. I'm the club advisor.

What? I wanna see your booth during the club fairs. What does the school think you do?

That's pretty disturbing.

Also, ACAB.

> How do you fight them?

Image: Although rare, there are those who can function during the Dark Hour. Some may even awaken to a power that enables them to fight the Shadows. That's "Persona"--the power you used the other night. The Shadows can only be defeated by Persona-users.

...So not everyone who is awake is a possible Persona-user? That's...odd...

> I see.

...Is this more of the Kirijo Group's influence? Gun control is a major deal in Japan.

There's no textual explanation for how Evokers work, but thematically it's supposed to represent accepting the fear of death, which the manga adaptation expands on. I'm not gonna talk about it too much since I can't find copies of it at my local bookstores, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

> Alright.

Image: Welcome aboard!

Image: Oh, I almost forgot... About your room assignment... Why don't you just stay here, in your current room? I don't know what the holdup is, but I guess it worked out in the end.

Image: Holdup? But, wasn't that--

Image: Oh, never mind...

I don't know what they're talking about.

The Fool arcana represents beginnings, as well as being a free spirit. The number zero means he can be placed at the beginning or end of the tarot deck, but the major arcana are about The Fool's Journey, which is linear from zero. The Fool also represents the everyman, and while we're a bit more special than that, we'll end up doing a lot of everyman activities through this journey.

The SEES Social Link automatically progresses through the story, and thus we will not need to worry about the actual mechanics of Social Links. We'll get into those when our first manual Social Link starts.

Still? After being up and about? Alright.

The Dark Hour strikes.

> How did you get in here?

Extremely good question.

And a non-answer in return.

...Que es que fuck?

> The end?

That's a hell of a bombshell, don'tcha think?

Image: ...But to be honest, I don't really know what it is.

...Okay, so it could be the end of...Spring? The end of my normal schoolgirl life? Huh?

Image: Oh, looks like you've awakened to your power. ...And an unusual power it is.

And he's changing the subject again.

Actually, it's bound by my level...

Image: It may prove to be your salvation, dpeending on where you end up.

How do you even know about my powers?

Image: I expect you to honor your commitment.

Do you know Igor? Are you related?

Image: I'll be watching you, even if you forget about me... Okay then, see you later.

Alright, creep.

Not nice.

The plot thickens.

Oh creepy boy, you are just married to dropping drama bombs then claiming you don't know anything about it.

It's occurring to me that I don't actually remember much about P3's plot. I remember the ending and a few scattered details, but it's mostly a blank. Should make this LP interesting, at least.

Tartarus

> Is Senpai okay?

Image: He said that he injured his ribs a little...

Augh! Oh, I don't wanna imagine that.

Couldn't have been that interesting, if we didn't see it.

Image: Come to the lounge when you get back to the dorm. I have something to tell everyone. I'll save the details for later. See you there.

Another unused line, but I'll save it for when it's not a spoiler anymore.

> That was fast.

Woman of few words, she seems like.

> ...It seems that Junpei was listening too.

Image: Well, it's not that I don't like her... She's just... N-Never mind. Let's go, Kotone.

Man, this place seems cool. Two-floor outdoor strip mall? A book store? DUCK BURGERS?

Image: Oh, I'm talking about Mitsuru-senpai...

Reverse tsundere?

Image: ...Why's Junpei always have to talk about stuff that isn't any of his business, huh!?

...There is a minute-long pause in my recording while I take a snapshot and make the 😬 face while I send it to my friends.

Image: You know, last year, he...

> You continued to gossip all the way back to the dorm...

I'd make a counter, but for one thing, the last time I made a counter joke, it died hard because I overestimated how many times it would pop up, and also, it's just like once a night. It's nothing special.

Image: Huh?

Image: ...Hey, hurry up.

That voice...It couldn't be...

Hey, man! What's up?

Image: J-Junpei!? ...Why are YOU here!?

Also a good question.

Image: This is Junpei Iori from Class 2-F. He'll be staying here as of today.

Image: He's staying HERE!? You've gotta be kidding me!

Image: I bumped into him the other night. He has the potential, but he just awakened to it recently... I told him about us, and he agreed to help.

oh you say that too huh

I like that he has enough humility to admit it. I think I'm gonna like this guy.

Image: He said that's, ya know, completely normal... in the beginning.

For the record, the unused lines earlier were the following:
Image: Oh, are we having that talk?
And, after she leaves...
Image: Wow, she didn't waste any time leaving...
> Uh huh.

I mean, I fell unconscious for ten fucking days.

Image: Oh...that's good. You should, since you're a Persona-user.

Image: I had no idea.

Image: I'm glad I'm not the only one. It could get kinda lonely, ya know. I bet you're stoked too, right!? Havin' me join... It'd be nice to have a guy around too, wouldn't it?

I guess Akihiko is just chopped liver, then.

Image: Uh, y-yeah...

Come on, it won't be that bad! He seems like a cool guy if you give him a chance.

> Let's do our best.

Image: You can count on me!

Man, this group is growing fast.

Image: Well, enough with the introductions. I think we're about ready...

Image: I'd like your undivided attention. For a long time, Mitsuru and Akihiko were the only Persona-users we had. But that number recently jumped to five. Therefore...

Image: You haven't seen it, Junpei?

Image: Hm...?

Image: It's no surprise... ...since it only appears during the Dark Hour.

Image: The Dark Hour...?

How much did Akihiko leave out?

Image: Just like the Shadows...Interesting, huh? And it's the perfect place for us to train. You can think of it as a Shadow nest.

Image: Woah... Their nest, huh...?

Metal Gear?!

Image: Isn't that right, Akihiko-kun?

Image: ...Yes, Mitsuru...

Image: I'm not so sure about this...

Image: What about you, Mr. Chairman?

I wonder what would happen if he tried...

Image: Just wait a few minutes...

Does it look like the Dark Hour yet to you?

Someday I'll have something interesting to say about this.

As Night becomes...Night-er.

The groung shifts, and it becomes really obvious that I'm using PPSSPP!

I tried to make it look as clean as the Velvet Room cut I did, but it's not quite the same size chunks.

Image: Once the Dark Hour passes, everything returns to normal.

Image: This is the "nest" you were talking about!? But, why!? ...Why'd our school turn into a giant tower!?

...Yeah that is curious. Why our school specifically?

Image: ...You don't know, either?

Image: ...No.

Figures.

Image: I'm sure it's complicated.

Image: Well, maybe now we'll find out. Mitsuru and I have only gone in to take a peek; this will be our first time exploring it.

Image: Exciting, isn't it? There has to be some sort of clue in here about the Dark Hour...

Image: Yes, honey...

Image: Whoa... It's just as cool on the inside...

Image: But, it sure is creepy...

Image: This is only the entrance. The labyrinth lies beyond the doorway at the top of the stairs.

Image: First, we'll have you three get a feel for this place. Why don't you go have a look around?

Image What!? By ourselves!?

Mitsuru's not coming with, huh? That's probably fine.

Image: We're not asking you to go very far, and I'll be feeding you information from here.
Image: So, you two didn't plan on coming in the first place?
Image: We're also going to appoint a leader to make any necessary decisions.

Image: For real?

Image: ...One of us?

That attitude disqualifies you automatically.

Image: ...... Kotone, you're in charge.

...I'm with Yukari. Fuck you.

Image: Well, she HAS fought them before...

Image: Seriously?

Image: That's true, but there's another reason. You two...

Image: Can you summon your Persona without any difficulties, like she can?

Image: Y-Yeah, of course I can!

Image: I think so.

Image: These are Shadows we're talking about here. Without your Persona, you're screwed.

Image: I'm aware of that.

> You betcha!

Image: Haha, that's the spirit.

> ...?

Do you...not see it?

...So we're back here again.

> The nature of my power?

They never are, don't worry about it.

> I think it's a woman.

Hello, Best Girl! Sorry for jumping the gun, but I love her so much. You'll see why as we go.

FeMC, and only FeMC, gets that earlier choice. If you think you see a man, you get a new character, Theodore!

Unlike FeMC, who went on to be largely ignored until the release of Persona Q2, Theodore became a part of the main canon with the release of Persona 4 Arena.

Elizabeth is also voiced by Tara Platt, while Theodore is voiced by Travis Willingham, known for Lon'qu and Brady, in Fire Emblem Awakening, Knuckles the Echidna from Sonic Free Riders to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and a common replacement for Dameon Clarke as Cell in Dragon Ball games.

> I opened this door and...

Image: Huh? What door?

That about covers it for this update, and also this recording session. The entire first recording that I've been clipping for these updates is only an hour long. This...is gonna be a long one.

I was thinking Junpei was mostly alright, and that he hasn't sounded particularly perverted so far (though having P4's Yosuke for comparison might lower my standards somewhat), but then he comes out with this 'but you're a girl' nonsense. Hopefully he won't have too many moments like that. (I just started playing along, so I honestly don't know.) I'm looking forward to more of the LP!

Also, hearing it in-game it seems weird that the Iwatodai Station dorm music shares lyrics with a boss battle theme from Star Ocean 3, from a couple years earlier. I wonder why?

I'm just thinking of the Long Nose song now.

For those who don't know, Elizabeth has a song about Igor that goes something like this:
"Vel-vel-vel, Vel-vet Room!
My master has a very long nose!"
I don't know if it ever comes up in P3 proper, though.

Quackles wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 am

For those who don't know, Elizabeth has a song about Igor that goes something like this:
I thought that was Margaret?

ChaosArgate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 am
Might be. My Velvet Room knowledge is somewhat lacking.

ChaosArgate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 am
Quackles wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 am

It definitely sounds a lot more in line with Elizabeth's personality than Margaret's, to me.

Junpei is far superior to Yosuke, though he does also tend to stray into fuckboy territory. Though, to be fair, I recently picked up P4G on Steam and Yosuke is less obnoxious than I remember. But I haven't started Kanji's dungeon yet.

Iirc the Velvet song was first mentioned in The Answer.

It's nice to see another P3 LP! I've already read like three or four different ones, but there's never enough P3. I kinda want to replay it, but I should finish P2IS first...

I'm pretty sure the Velvet Room song comes up in P3, but most people know it from P4. I think the Anime dub actually mistranslates it to fit in the lipflaps, like how the Shadows' catchphrase is bungled a bit.

Double posting for an update: I have the next chunk of gameplay recorded. It's about 4 hours of footage, but a large portion of it is unusable B-roll spent on grinding. God help my soul.

Definitely sounds like the Persona 3 experience I remember.

I already used my one Hiimdaisy joke so instead let's drag Junpei around everywhere

Alright, let's go.

THIS IS IT, LUIGI.

Just follow my lead.

Image: Whoah! Is that you, Senpai?

Image: I'll be providing audio backup from here on out.

Image: Wait... Ya mean, you can see inside here?

...Uh-huh.

Image: That's why outside support is imperative.

It changes whenever you're not looking at it, it's like the internet in Mega Man Battle Network.

Image: Now, based on your current location, you can expect to encounter enemies at any minute. They shouldn't be too tough, but proceed with caution. Practice makes perfect.

Image: Right!

Image: Got it.

Like...?

Persona 3 - "Tartarus_0d01" (Yes seriously.)

I'm not transcribing all these fucking tutorials. I can explain them better. She tells us to kill every enemy on the floor, which is how you know this is a tutorial.

The chests in this game are briefcases.

This one has Medicine, a basic healing item.

okay thanks

You can strike out with your weapon to attack an enemy before they notice you. Once we're out of the tutorial, if the enemy hasn't noticed you, you get a free turn if you do so.

!! IMPORTANT PORTABLE CHANGE !!

In Persona 3 FES, The Protagonist can use most weapon types in the game, except for two whose very categories are spoilers. This affected pre-combat strikes. In Portable, he is restricted to one handed swords, while FeMC is restricted to naginatas.

Persona 3 Portable - Wiping All Out

I get your concern, Mitsuru, but this is literally brain-dead.

I just go with a normal attack to conserve SP.

wait junpei what are you doing

I didn't tell him to do that.

Nor her that.

Close-up on Yukari's Not Great model. Whatever, it's fine.

Snuff Soul: Restores 50 SP to one ally.

Don't get used to seeing these. SP items, especially those you can use in combat, are rather uncommon.

Also, note the lack of something important? You don't get money by default for random encounters. This is less bad than it seems, but it's still, uh...annoying? We'll get into this later.

Image: Don't go up yet, we can't have you grinding to Lv99 by bouncing Wakka's ball back at him.

There's another shadow this way.

Literally already went over this.

Instead, allow me to show you this.

You cannot directly control your allies. Instead, you can select AI patterns for them to follow, to varying degrees of success. Knowing what pattern to set them to is paramount to winning...or, it would be, except we're playing Persona 3 Portable.

In Portable only, you can directly control your allies. This almost singlehandedly makes P3P SO much better to play, to a ludicrous degree. Set this on immediately and never turn back.

Anyways, time to get into weaknesses.

Image: Orpheus!

Obviously, a weakness does more damage, but that's not what's important here.

Hitting an enemy with a weakness or a critical hit will knock them down. When an enemy is knocked down, you get a 1more, allowing another turn, on the spot. This can happen to you, as well, so be careful.

Upon knocking every enemy down, a prompt will appear, from a random party member if you knocked them all down, or from the one who got the last knockdown otherwise.

This animation will play, known as an All-Out Attack! It deals significant Almighty damage (meaning it cannot be resisted), based on the party's offensive stats.

This skull cloud will appear if an All-Out Attack ends the battle.

And a group victory shot.

Revival Bead: Restores unconscious party member to 50% HP.

Another chest.

ok thanks mitsuru

I just talked about that, so let's instead talk about knockdowns in more detail.

A target who is knocked down will spend a turn getting back up. However, if they are attacked prior to that, they get back up immediately. What this means is that single target attacks are the best way to get All-Out Attacks, leaving group targeting skills pretty situational.

...Except...

Persona 3 Portable changes knockdowns. When attacking a knocked-down enemy with an attack they're weak to or a critical hit, they are stunned. This will leave them knocked down for an additional turn. In exchange, knockdowns are cured without wasting a turn, unless afflicted with a status that would consume their turn either way such as Freeze.

Also, the above group-targeting thing is fixed. Your attacks will never make an enemy get back up, except for an All-Out Attack. Once again, this makes combat flow so, so much better.

Yukari's AOA prompt.

?!

So remember what Igor was talking about earlier?

The cards will shuffle around, with the patterns being based on how many cards are present. It's pretty easy to get what you want as long as you're paying attention.

If you pick the Suit of Cups, some HP is restored to your party.

If you pick the Suit of Wands, your experience is multiplied.

If you pick the Persona, it is added to your stock. Currently we can hold six Personas, Orpheus included.

Cowardly Mayas won't always drop Snuff Souls, obviously, this is just for Tutorial Purposes.

Also, level ups! I'm not gonna show all the stat ups, since you can tell from the bars, and either way, stats by Level 99 are preset.

...oh yeah i haven't gone over their personas yet hold on

Yukari's Persona, Io, is named for one of Zeus's many baby mommas. Initially a priestess to Hera, Zeus transformed her into a cow to protect her from Hera. Hera then asked for the cow as a gift, and kept her under the watch of a hundred-eyed giant named Argus Panoptes.

Zeus called upon Hermes to distract Argus, freeing Io, but still leaving her as a cow. She was stuck in that form for a good long while.

The symbolism here should be fairly obvious, as Io is literally a humanshape woman chained to a cow's skull.

Yukari has the highest magic stat of the party, but her other stats all lay around average to below average. Her primary purposes are Wind-element Magic damage and being the party's best healer. Though she never gets passive multipliers for her Wind damage, her high Magic does keep her in the game.

Junpei's Persona, Hermes...was already mentioned. But, that's only a small portion of his history. Hermes was the messenger of the Gods, aided by his winged sandals that everyone and their mother wants in Terraria if they don't want to spend 3 days getting to the Dungeon. He's a patron of many things, including travelers, commerce, athletics, literature and poets, sometimes of healing and invention, even of thieves and liars.

This is not Hermes's first appearance in a Persona game, as he is also the Persona of Persona 2's Jun Kurosu. However, in that appearance, he covers some of Hermes's other traits, such as his Caduceus staff.

Junpei's stats are heavily leaned towards physical damage, with a side helping of endurance as well. While he learns Fire-element magic, his stats are definitely not tailored towards it, and should only be used for knockdowns. Throughout the game he learns a variety of physical attacks, but will end up without Pierce by the end of the game.

Anyways, moving on.

One more Medicine for the pile.

MEGAMAN! MEGAMAN! OKAY I GET IT MITSURU

...Okay, but this one is actually interesting.

See, asking Yukari for healing is a bit of a relic of FES.

This was not true in FES. Originally, you would need to talk to Yukari on the map, and she would cast healing spells on the party, with no regard for SP costs.

Sanity prevails.

Similarly, even armor and weapons couldn't be equipped from the menu, requiring you to talk to them. I honestly consider FES to be borderline incompetent at points, and this is part of why.

I've already gone over this, Mitsuru!

I've always found these lines funny, I don't know why.

Anyways, time to discuss the music playing. As you might have guessed, Wiping All Out is exclusive to playing as the Female Protagonist. Given my thoughts on Time and Way Of Life, you might think I like this song too, right?

Nope.

Not even close.

I cannot stand Wiping All Out. Okay, perhaps that's harsh. What I hate the most is everything prior to the vocals starting, but since combat ends quickly, especially with Portable's faster pace, that's what you're hearing most often.

The other factor about Wiping All Out I don't like is what it replaces. In the Male protagonist route, the battle theme is instead, this:

Persona 3 OST - Mass Destruction

Mass. Fucking. Destruction. Genuinely an incredible song. Lotus Juice outdoes himself here on the rap, and Shoji Meguro's funky beats are absolutely aces. I cannot speak enough good about this fucking song, and Wiping All Out replacing it is inevitably going to cause some problems.

Anyways.

Sometimes, the cards will be shuffled like a 3-card monte. Again, if you pay attention, it's no big deal.

Another Persona obtained.

And another pair of Level Ups.

The floor is now empty. On the first night, you cannot grind. I was somewhat nervous, but it turned out fine.

Mitsuru will exposit at you about splitting up, a feature you will not and should not ever use, but if you try to move forward without doing so...

HEY MEGAMAN! YOU'RE A LITTLE LOW ON AIR!

So it goes.

Junpei.

You'll pay for this.

Something, something, the cognition is weak here.

Something of a sticking point for you, ah?

Anyways.

> No problem.

Good way to put it. Confidence is the first step to getting good at something.

Statistically, no you're not. We'll get into that later.

Image: You look pretty tired yourself, Yuka-tan.

Image: I'm still trying to catch my breath, actually...

We sure will.

Yay.

Image: At this rate, they'll catch up to you in no time, Akihiko.

Image: Heh, we'll see about that.

> You feel a bond forming between yourselves...
> ......!?
> You felt the power of your heart intensify, as if in reaction to the bond between your friends...

...I'm not gonna say it. I'm not...

Oh, come on! I can take 'em! Lemme at 'em!

Fine...

Let's check in on Igor again.

Wow, that's rather specific.

Social Links give an experience bonus when fusing Personas of the same Arcana, up to 5 additional levels at max rank.

I'm not gonna do that.

Yep. You can fuse away your starting Persona. Mmhmm.

Obligatory relevant Awkward Zombie comic.

So, if we Fuse using Orpheus, we can either get Apsaras, or...

A Persona we cannot fuse yet, as we can only make Personas up to our level.

If we start with Pixie, we could make Nekomata if we were Level 5.

We could also fuse all three together for something we won't be able to use for quite some time.

Anyways, here's Clock Healing. It doesn't gouge you anywhere near as much as The Fox in Persona 4, but it scales up fast.

...Oh, yeah, this is new to Portable. I'll explain the ramifications of it when I get to conditions.

Anyways, now we leave.

The next day...

> I'm all right.

It helps that I know exactly what I can and can't interact with.

...Eh...

I hope you mean "because of your ribs" and not...

Anyways.

as an ice-type, she's actually weak to aura

Goddamn family ties. What's next, are the family ties going to let her be the director while still being a student?

...oh.

This is a long-ass speech and I'm not formatting it so instead take the raw paste from the script dump
[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 4 6 4 1 3 0][f 3 1 1 0 0 10]As I begin my term as Student Council[n]President, I'd like to share with you[n]my vision for this coming year.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 11]It is my firm belief that each of us[n]must accept the responsibility of[n]bettering our school.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 12]However, change cannot occur without[n]sustained effort and an unprecedented[n]level of commitment.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 13]That is why we must restructure our[n]daily lives to accommodate this lofty goal.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 14]I'd like each of you to dig deeply[n]into your well of motivation, and[n]re-evaluate your convictions...[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 15]...To imagine a bold new future[n]without losing sight of the realities[n]around you.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 16]That is the key.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 17]I am certain that many of you have[n]your own visions of the future...[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 18]For us to reap the full benefits of our[n]education, your participation, ideas,[n]and enthusiasm are essential.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]

[f 0 5 -258][f 2 1][f 3 1 1 0 0 19]Thank you.[n][f 1 3 -1][f 1 1][e]
Excited, but not raucus, applause.

Junpei...

> Of course I did!

Image: Sure didn't sound like somethin' a high schooler would say... If it was anyone else, we'd be laughin' our asses off.

I mean, it's Mitsuru.

Back in class..

Image: ...You know what? I'm tired of these textbooks. I just went over this novel in the last class. I've got a great poem we can cover instead. Close your textbooks, everyone, and listen.

Never sleep during class.

Image: You should be ashamed of ytourself, taking a nap while I pour my heart into reading this poem! For that, you get another essay along with your regular assignment tonight!

Harsh. Still, I guess he brought it on himself this time--

Huh? :stare:

This has happened before?! :stonk:

It was worth it...It was worth it...

Anyways, we're free! We can take on a variety of activities in the normal outside world that allow us to build up our social stats or create Social Links! Doing an activity will immediately jump to Evening, however, as will returning to the dorm.

I don't plan on talking to people often, but I figure I might as well.

Sure, some other time.

I've just been eating less in general recently, in addition to exercising. My schedule has been largely nocturnal, which kinda sucks when classes are starting back up soon.

Oh, uh.

> Sure.

...I'm outta here.

Honey, you've got a big storm coming.

Please, love yourself.

...k.

I'm sure this will never come up again.

Cheating is bad.

Image i dont know why this one wasnt resized

We'll be here a lot.

...The color scheme implies it's later than it should be. Huh.

I like the visual of the generic girls literally having no face in this presentation.

Image: I mean, come on! You don't even see girls flock like that on TV! I wonder where they're going...

Image nor this one

Image: I... guess so...?

Image: I want the two of you to meet me at Pawlonia Mall. You know where it is, right? I'll be at the police station.

In a mall?

Image: ...Uh, are your friends gonna come along, too?

Image: Who, these girls? I don't even know their names. They talk so much they give me a headache.

Obligatory "is this a jojo reference?"

Image: Man, how can he not know their names?! I mean, seriously! Just look at them!

...Do you know their names?

Image: Well, I guess we gotta go... Sheesh, talk about putting a damper on a guy's afternoon.

Oh, no. That's not his role.

That's my role.

Now, we're supposed to head to Pawlonia Mall. My goal for today is something else, and we'll get free time afterwards.

But we're given the choice now. What happens if I go try it now?

...Oh. Oh, there's unique dialogue for everywhere we can go.

This is my revenge for that awful one-liner.

...And the sexism, I guess.

Everything you think is original in Persona is actually from a previous Persona game. No exceptions.

If I had more than 20 bucks on me I'd feed this cat some goddamn Filet Mignon.

He says this for the other place here as well.

Alright, I'm leaving.

Next stop, Naganaki Shrine.

...Seems rather empty over here.

An offering to the Kitsune guardian of the shrine, expected to talk with Inari on the worshipper's behalf. More important in Persona 4.

Hey, fuck you too, buddy.

No.

No.

Next.

I don't love octopus. Mostly it's the tentacles, usually they're a bit too crispy for me.

Most days, my one meal ends up being McDonalds, and I'm still losing weight.

Oh, jeez, termites? That's bad.

Just get fast food and take it with you if you're that hungry.

It's always candy time, motherfucker.

You brought this on yourself, asshole.

If you want my recommendation, read Gabriel Dropout. It's one of the funniest fucking things I've ever read.

We're at the mall, but that isn't stopping me.

Maybe later, then.

Okay.

You said it was next door.

Ehh...

Do you promise?

Didn't take you as the kind of person to be interested in antiques.

Nah.

Uh-uh.

Finally broke him.

Ah, dammit, I forgot to check what happens if you say to not enter.

Persona 3 - "Pawlonia Mall" (Album version)

Image: Oh, these are the guys I was talking about earlier.

Image: This is Officer Kurosawa. He helps keep our squad well-equipped.

Officer Kurosawa? Dammit, I already made my Love Live joke this update.

HELL YEAH FIFTY BUCKS

I mean, you can.

Of course.

ACAB.

If only more cops would break code like this.

Not much is right. These weapon upgrades are pathetic.

The armor is a bit better, and the accessories are quite nice, but I think I'll just take the 50 bucks and run.

Image: I'm gonna take off, since I'm in a bad mood now... Later.

Blame yourself for that one.

Anyways, back to the movie theater.

A new film shows up every month, and each one has different flavor text, as well as a different social stat boost.

...Will that pump up your brain? Maybe Gekkoukan has foreign languages besides English...

...Whatever works, I guess.

Image: Akihiko is still on the mend, so for now, I'd like you to lead the team. You never know when a powerful enemy might appear, like the one you faced the other day.

You mean almost two weeks ago at this point?

Image: It's best to be prepared, or else you may find yourself in a difficult situation. So, whenever you'd like to explore Tartarus, just let me know, and I'll gather everyone there. Also, since I'm sure there are other things you will need to take care of, You may go out at night if you need to.

Free already. However, you can only go to Pawlonia Mall at night.

Of the options that we passed over before, one of them was a back alley, which lets you access the Velvet Room in the daytime. We'll get to this later.

Arcade time.

Staying until midnight, with school tomorrow? Damn.

THIRTY BUCKS? I guess if you're staying there all night, but jeez...

This makes more sense, I guess.

Next time: Gotterdamerung.

I like Wiping All Out much better than Mass Destruction! :colbert:
It's hilarious that Junpei has slightly different dialogue for every place you go that's not the cop shop.

I feel the need to give Junpei a wedgie for unironically saying "phat lewt".

Oh give him a break, he was a teen living in 2006.

Just checking, but did you know you have to go to the police station? I wasn't sure.