Let's Beat DBZ Legend of the Super Saiyan Quickly & Easily!

Put your Let's Plays in here.
NOTE: The Dragon Quest VI LP has not been abandoned. The videos are all up and ready for viewing on Youtube; The supplemental "recaps" just take a while to write. I wanted to forge ahead, in the meanwhile.

Hello everyone, and welcome to an oldie but a goodie! There was a slew of Dragon Ball Z RPGs that came on old Nintendo consoles, and this is the game that us old folk would've been most familiar with. It's a quasi-remake of the first two NES games (Dragon Ball Z Story: Saiyan Invasion & Dragon Ball Z II: Freeza the Planet Destroyer), spanning from the start of DBZ to the end of the Planet Namek arc (where Goku becomes a Super Saiyan).

It's greatest strength is that it's faithful to the show. You control the entire Earth's Special Forces team: Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, Yamcha... They're all there. They each have their own unique moves, with some even having some interesting effects. Plus, all its items are cards, with each depicting all the various side-characters from the show as well. They even got the combat system down by implementing "Power Levels" (or BP: Battle Power) in a major way! You can even scan most enemies for THEIR power level, either by pressing X in-battle, or by using two kinds of "Scouter" items!

It's greatest weakness, however... Is that it's faithful to the show. Power Levels tend to dominate each fight, and even the random encounters tend to be long and drawn out. Each action is complemented by a series of rapid, repeatedly cycled animations. They're all amazing to look at... The first few times you see them... And then you quickly start wishing you could turn them off. Besides that, the bosses tend to be far stronger than your player characters, so the game's gotten a reputation for being grindy and slow.

However, you do NOT need to grind! I know the game mechanics inside and out, and can beat this game in little over 2 hours! It involves a lot of foreknowledge and planning, but it can be done! So, did you find this game hard? Did you ever wonder if you could beat the game without grinding? Did you ever wish you could turn off encounters without glitches or cheat codes? Do you want a thorough walkthrough that cuts out all the boring parts? Do you want to have a blast me and Skaizo show you how to DO all this?

Then look no further than THIS!

Dragon Ball Z, The Super Saiyan Legend - Episode 1: The Arrival of Raditz

ADDITIONAL NOTES (These will complement each video, to explain things I couldn't easily explain within them):

NO ENCOUNTER TRICK (only works outside caves):
Step 1: Fly into the air
Step 2: Tap the Y button 3 times
Step 3: Activate super speed and enjoy!

The only downside is that the encounter rate spikes when you land. You'll want to either enter a building, or ascend and descend again. Either one will turn things back to normal.

DEFENSIVE VALUES (those weird symbols on the lower-right of your cards):
一: 1
ニ: 2
三: 3
四: 4
五: 5
六: 6
七: 7
Z: 10 (yes, it's that much stronger than all the others)

DAMAGE FORMULA:
Dots: Number of Dots on the Battle Card's upper-left corner (Z = 10)
Kanji: Kanji on Battle Card's lower-right corner (Z = 10)
BP Difference: Attacker BP-Defender BP
[BP is multiplied by 1.25x at all points in this formula, when the attacker or defender is using a "Favorite Card" (one that matches their personal symbol, or had a Goku card used on it)].

Attack = Power of Attack * (Dots + 4) * BP + BP difference (Kanji replaces Dots when doing a counter-attack)
Defense = BP * (Kanji + 4) * Resilience/10/8 (Yes, you divide by 10, and then divide by 8. Divide that result by half, if you score a follow-up attack]

[Resilience is usually "30" for enemies, with very few exceptions. Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, & Vegeta have 30 Resilience. Krillin & Yamcha have 25. Chiatzu has 20.]

Final Damage = Attack/Defense

ATTACK LIST:
Regular Attack (All characters): 4
Ki Blast: 6
Energy Wave (Turns into "Rapid Energy Wave" when attack is 6+): 10
Rapid Energy Wave: 12 (+2 for each one that lands)
Solar Flare: N/A (it stops one attack, but rarely works)
Kamehameha: 24

Light Grenade (Becomes "Rapid Light Grenade" or "Uber Light Grenade" when value is 4-6 or 7+): 10
Rapid Light Grenade: 14 (+2 for each one that lands)
Uber Light Grenade: 28
Demon Wave: 30

Uber Energy Wave (Gohan only): 24
Masenko: 30

KING KAI'S TRAINING:
0-15 Cards used: Goku arrives on the World Map
16-17 Cards used: Goku arrives after the x1 Green Saibaman fight
18-19 Cards used: Goku arrives 3 turns into the x5 Green Saibamen fight
20-24 Cards used: Goku arrives after the x5 Green Saibamen fight.
25-35 Cards used: Goku arrives 3 turns into the Nappa fight
36-45: Cards used Goku arrives after the Nappa fight.
46+ Cards used: Goku arrives 3 Turns into the Vegeta fight.

MY ROUTE (mostly based on the world record speed run, with some adjustments for guaranteed success):

x4 ORANGE SAIBAMEN:
-Walk into Kame House
-Talk to Roshi, then Krillin
-Ascend, tap Y three times, then super-dash to excise encounters
-Fly up-left to two houses, then upward to Mr. Popo’s house
-Save
---------Turn 1: Goku (7-Super), Piccolo (Light Grenade)
---------Turns Onward: Use favorite cards, and don’t worry about saving any

RADITZ:
-Heal at upper-left house
-Buy x8 Oolong & x1 Turtle
-Go into the cave, raid all the chests, and get Piccolo LVL 2 on the way
-Try to save x2 Ki cards & one Z card for both Raditz fights
-Save at Fake Raditz
---------Turn 1: Special Beam Cannon, and reset till it OHKOs (or use Kamehameha + Special Beam Cannon, if you have three Ki cards)
---------Use Puar on Piccolo
-Proceed to Real Raditz
---------Turn 1: Gohan + Grandpa, then Goku uses Z card
---------Turn 2: Piccolo uses Demon Death Spiral

TRAINING #1:
-Gohan beats up Piccolo, but try and save strong cards for King Kai’s
-Beat 1st Planet with 7-8 cards, using up to x2 Oolongs if needed
---------Do not reset after that! For some reason, it gets tougher upon reset!
-Use 6 cards on 2nd, and 3-4 cards on 3rd.
-Beat King Kai in 1 Turn with Kamehameha to get the ideal Goku scenario
---------You get him too early, and he won’t help for Jeice & Burter

Alright, time for some more Dragon Ball Z!

Dragon Ball Z, The Super Saiyan Legend - Episode 2: Brood of Evil

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

RE: GETTING LOST:
The game does throw you a bone for the first 2/3rds of the Planet Namek arc. Most of your objectives involve Dragon Balls, so you'd use the Dragon Radar to find those yellow dots to fly towards. It's only once you start fighting Freeza that you REALLY start getting lost...

MY ROUTE (mostly based on the world record speed run):

NAPPA & VEGETA:
-Go down to get Krillin
-Ascend, descend, then ascend again to make “skip encounters” work again
-Enter lower-right house near Yamcha
-Get Yamcha, then enter left house for card
-Go right near shops for Tien & Chiatzu!
-Fly up, down, then up again so encounter skip will work again
---------SELL: Keep 7 Oolongs/Turtles and Piccolo & Grandpa (Yemma if applicable), then sell the rest
---------BUY: x1 Lunch and as many Chi-Chis as possible
-Proceed to the boss gauntlet
---------Turn 1: Use cards below 7 against single Saibaman!
---------Turn 2: Make a 7 or Z Ki card, then Lunch + Light Grenade x5 Saibamen! (burn cards again)
---------Turn 3: Use any Kaioken on Nappa
---------Turn 4: Make a 7-Z card to Kamehameha Nappa while burning junk cards!
---------Turn 5: Use Chi-Chi on 7-Z card to x3 Kaioken Vegeta!
-The screen goes back to Gohan and friends, so...
---------SELL: Moon
---------BUY: Chi-Chis till you’re about to go under 10z
-Fly to Vegeta
---------Turns 6-7: Crush Vegeta with two Kaio-ken x3 Kamehamehas!

CUI-CUI:
-Fly upper-right to cutscene
-Effortlessly dodge Dodoria beams by tapping down
---------Dodoria goes by a fixed pattern, if you find that helpful
-Fly up to two warrior namekians, enter house, then recruit them
-Fly lower-left to shop, fly down till you pass a house, go left when you can, go up when needed, and find a shop
-Burn x1-2 Oolongs and a Chi-Chi or Yemma for a strong Ki card
---------SELL: Oolongs till you’re at 17 items
---------BUY: Scouter A
-Fly lower-left to cave
-Use Scouter A before encounter
-Go down for item
-Go left all the way, then down all the way for another item in the corner (skip the others)
-Proceed to the right for another item
-Go down to where another capsule is (do not collect), then collect the two on right path
-Go down and collect items on left and bottom splits
-Go on right split and get crushed by 9 boulders before getting Dragon Ball #6!
-Save, make sure you have a Ki card, and fight Cui-Cui
---------Turn 1: Grandpa Gohan, then Auto (Vegeta will choose Ki card)
---------Turn 2: Scout Cui-Cui’s card with Piccolo, Grandpa Gohan if its defense is
decent, then auto again
---------Turn 3: Finish off Cui-Cui!

DODORIA:
-Fly upper-right to shop
-Use x1-2 Oolongs and a Chi-Chi or Yemma for two strong Ki cards
---------SELL: Junk cards till you have space in lower-right corner of 2nd group of items
---------BUY: x3 Yemmas, x2-3 Grandpas, x1 Launch, x1 Escape, x5 Scouter As
-Fly to upper-left house and check upper-left pot for namekian child
-Fly up to Bulma’s ship, save, and fight Dodoria!
---------Turn 1: Guru on Gohan, Piccolo + Grandpa on Dodoria, Gohan uses Masenko (Z), Tien uses Kikoho (7), and the others burn up junk cards
---------Turn 2: Piccolo + Grandpa on Dodoria, then same as last turn

TRAINING #2:
-Goku crushes the gravity machine
-Piccolo crushes the planet three times, then saves before fighting Saiyans
---------Turn 1: Launch, then Special Beam Cannon the saiyans out of existence!

Getting closer and closer to the end!

Episode 3: DBZ Legend of the Super Saiyan, Walkthrough (The Hunted)

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

RE: SCOUTER NAMES
The red ones are "Scouter As" and the green ones are "Scouter Bs". The Japanese script differentiates between them, but this fantranslation doesn't.

MY ROUTE (mostly based on the world record route):

ZARBON:
-Fly left till you see rock pillar on left edge, then fly up to the shop
---------SELL: Shenron
---------BUY: x1 Bubbles, x1 Scouter B
-Fly lower-left to the cave
-Use Bubbles, go up a long while, then save crawl till hole with Shenron in it!
-Escape, fly to upper-right big, unbroken house to find 58z in lower-right pot
-Fly right to house to trade scouters for strong cards
-Fly upper-right to shop (skip the first you see)
-Use Scouter A & burn Oolongs if needed (reset if you have to use more)
---------BUY: x3 Yemmas, x3 Chi-Chis, and x0-3 Oolongs
-Fly left to cave
-Go upper-left till item in upper-left corner (leave it for now)
-Go down and talk to the pond
-Save crawl to the next screen
-Save crawl lower-left to help out Nail
-Save crawl down to boss
---------Beat up boss with Nail
-Use Scouter A, go down, then go all the way right to an item
-Go all the way up to collect two items
-Go lower-right to the exit
-Use Scouter A and talk to Guru
-Backtrack through the cave till you see chest you skipped the first time
-Get Scouter B then go upper-right to other item
-Go down to the end, then craft x3 Z Ki Cards before saving
---------Turn 1: Gallic Gun (Z) + Gohan burns card
---------Turn 2: Vegeta finishes base Zarbon with strong melee while the others burn
---------Turn 3: Piccolo Monster Zarbon if you have x3, then Guru Vegeta before using Gallic Gun again
---------Turns Onward: Finish off Zarbon while saving cards for Recoome & Guldo

GINYU FORCE:
-Train x4 times, then save before Recoome & Guldo (reset if Vegeta trolls)
---------Turn 1: Launch & Guru Vegeta, Grandpa + Piccolo Recoome, then Gallic Gun (Z)
---------Turn 2: Grandpa + Piccolo Recoome again, then Gallic Gun (Z)
-Oolongs if you don’t have any Ki cards before Burter & Jeice
---------Turn 1: Goku Kaioken (the level doesn’t matter), and Vegeta burns card
---------Turn 2: Goku crushes Burter with Kamehameha
-Fly right till past 1st shop, then fly upper-right to 2nd shop
---------SELL: Scouters & Korin
---------BUY: Up to x3 Oolongs, x3 Yemmas, x2 Piccolos, x1 Kaio, and enough Chi-Chis to make one 7-Ki and two Z-Kis.
-Fly clockwise over to Ginyu
---------Turn 1: Kaioken
---------Turn 2: Kamehameha
---------Turn 3: Launch + Kaio Vegeta, Piccolo Jeice, then Gallic Gun (Z)

Hey Fionordequester, nice to see you here. I had a question for you:
Fionordequester wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:10 am
NOTE: The Dragon Quest VI LP has not been abandoned. The videos are all up and ready for viewing on Youtube; The supplemental "recaps" just take a while to write. I wanted to forge ahead, in the meanwhile.
What about your Fire Emblem 4 Max Rank playthrough? It's been almost 2 years since you put that LP on hiatus. Has that actually been abandoned?

The plan was to store up a backlog of updates, then release them in quick succession, that way, there wouldn't be any delays. Then I found video LPing to be way funner than screenshot LPing (and less lonesome, with Skaizo there).

I will finish it eventually, especially since now I know there are still guys waiting for the end. I just couldn't tell you when. Every time I try and give a date, it always turns out longer than I thought!

Fionordequester wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:30 pm
Could be a Samurai Jack situation
So the answer is "Yes, it's been cancelled". Aww, and we were right about to do Darna.

My point was that Samurai Jack WAS eventually finished, just... not till like, 10 years :P .

Ah, this game. Despite it's numerous issues I sort of love it--and some of the reasons I love it are because of those issues.
It's really interesting seeing a way to beat the game without tons of grinding though.

There is one unusual footnote about this game's history; there was actually a time where this was in the top 10 SNES boards on GameFAQs for a while--it got a ton of attention in the english-speaking fandom during the early Dragon Ball Z boom. Oddly enough I don't think it was realized at the time how hilarious glitchy the game is, which it seems to be legendary for in Japan.
As you said in the video, the game feels like they wanted to do something really fun for the fans, but it was clearly pushed out too soon; another example is that there's an absolute ton of empty space on every map, with very little incentive to explore since there aren't many item treasures or NPCs with useful information. Plus the bugs...
Funny thing; I've read on the Japanese internet that they knew the game was buggy and included a note about it with the game's released titled "a request from Goku" to warn buyers about it.

There's also other weird stuff--for instance, boss HP. The videos show it off pretty well but boss HP scales very slowly until the very end when it shoots up.
For a while it ends up like a weird mirror of most JRPGs; bosses have fewer HP than your characters but much higher power levels.

In many ways I think the NES Namek RPG is better designed overall; your other party members are more important, the grinding isn't as bad thanks to training minigames (and instead of XP they get more power every fight so it feels steadier) and Kaioken is just an attack so Goku doesn't invalidate everyone else, and the animations are still fun but nowhere near as lengthy.
The NES Saiyan RPG, though? Even slower than this.

Fun trivia for those unaware; enemies seem to run off basically the same system as player characters to the point you can add them to your party (more accurately replace an existing character with one, keeping the replaced character's HP and other stat growths but using the enemies moves, appearance, and number of attacks) with hacking or even a cheat code and they work mostly fine.
I think your party can only get six attacks max or some other limit, though--which can result in some of your characters not attacking at all if you load a ton of bosses into your party.

Some thoughts divided by video:
Video 1:
*I think you can defeat Raditz if Piccolo doesn't have enough Ki by beating on him with physical attacks (once he's been grabbed) until he runs out of hp--you'll need to heal Goku though, since he takes damage from that as well as Raditz hitting him each turn while trying to break out.
I have to hand it to the dev team regarding the training scene, though. When you realize it actually effects when Goku will arrive on earth it ratchets up the tension.

Video 2
*Your comment on it skipping the fake Namek reminds me of one of the more unique things about this game; it mostly used the manga color schemes instead of the anime ones, such as Korin being blue instead of white. Not always consistently though--Buma has blue hair on her map sprite but purple for her portrait.
*I had never read about the Scouter giving you a perfect flee chance! Interesting.
*If I recall correctly it's possible to softlock in the cave; once you go a certain distance in enemies stop appearing, so if you're too weak to handle Cui and saved inside you're in trouble. I think if you left the cave through the entrance after that the game froze or crashed when you got into a random encounter (been a while so my memory might be a little off).
*You know I never considered the possibility of Vegeta losing to Cui, but he's not so much stronger it's mathematically impossible.
*I'm pretty sure the bug where Dodoria's portrait turns into Nappa is a translation patch bug, because I don't think I saw it in the older, funnier patch.
*The gravity machine is waste of a minigame, though honestly even if you could get different results from how hard you pushed it wouldn't matter since--as anyone who saw the show could guess--Goku will be taken out of action right after he arrives on Namek anyways.
*Although a terrible choice from a "clearing the game" standpoint, you can save the Vegeta card and use it when Piccolo is fighting Raditz and Nappa for the amusing result of him flying to the afterlife to re-murder his partners.

Video 3:
*I think the whole cave switch area is possibly the worst part of the game, but I suspect it's as long and drawn out as it is to force as much experience on your party as possible to minimize the risk of getting stuck against the Ginyu Force later since there's such a huge difficult spike after Zarbon.
*This whole time I assumed that one ball was required to open the cave passage or something.
*The "Nail" fight is horrifying with this patch thanks whatever happened to the fake one's name that turned it into a massive string of gibberish.
*From I can tell the way Vegeta works gets mocked in the Japanese fandom a bit--and for good reason. Too much RNG for the fights where you depend on him not Vegeta-ing things up. However, he does have some bonus powers alongside his amazing stats; aside from his change to get a second attack, he can attack first even with a worse card, and he can kill enemies who try to run away.
*I think Vegeta is scripted to automatically dodge or take zero damage from every attack during the Zarbon battle.
*Bug alert: If one of your characters levels up during the first phase of the Zarbon fight then the stat bonus they gain from that level is lost permanently once the battle ends. Vegeta always levels up from it so he never gets the stats he "should" have. This glitch also effects other multiphase fights, including one of the Freeza one, but this is the one where it's basically unavoidable.

Reading Wyvern wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:05 am
There is one unusual footnote about this game's history; there was actually a time where this was in the top 10 SNES boards on GameFAQs for a while--it got a ton of attention in the english-speaking fandom during the early Dragon Ball Z boom. Oddly enough I don't think it was realized at the time how hilarious glitchy the game is, which it seems to be legendary for in Japan.
I definitely noticed that, way back when. I put out an old LP of it for a DBZ megathread by "Leavemywife"... and the views ballooned far out of control! It was by far my most wacthed content, despite how little effort I put into it :lol: .
Reading Wyvern wrote:
Funny thing; I've read on the Japanese internet that they knew the game was buggy and included a note about it with the game's released titled "a request from Goku" to warn buyers about it.
Indeed. They even released another version of it, v1.1. Sadly, all the English translations use v1.1 as their base, so they miss some of the REALLY fun stuff!
Reading Wyvern wrote:
There's also other weird stuff--for instance, boss HP. The videos show it off pretty well but boss HP scales very slowly until the very end when it shoots up.
For a while it ends up like a weird mirror of most JRPGs; bosses have fewer HP than your characters but much higher power levels.
Huh... Now that you mention it, I see what you mean. Good observation!
Reading Wyvern wrote:
The NES Saiyan RPG, though? Even slower than this.
x3 slower than this!! Even the world record is over 7 hours :shock: !!
Reading Wyvern wrote:
Fun trivia for those unaware; enemies seem to run off basically the same system as player characters to the point you can add them to your party (more accurately replace an existing character with one, keeping the replaced character's HP and other stat growths but using the enemies moves, appearance, and number of attacks) with hacking or even a cheat code and they work mostly fine.
Huh. So it's not just Ginyu...
Reading Wyvern wrote:
Some thoughts divided by video:
Video 1:*I think you can defeat Raditz if Piccolo doesn't have enough Ki by beating on him with physical attacks (once he's been grabbed) until he runs out of hp
Fascinating.
Reading Wyvern wrote:
Video 2
*Your comment on it skipping the fake Namek reminds me of one of the more unique things about this game; it mostly used the manga color schemes instead of the anime ones...
Good eye, once again!
Reading Wyvern wrote:
If I recall correctly it's possible to softlock in the cave; once you go a certain distance in enemies stop appearing...been a while so my memory might be a little off.
Only a little. It's when the boulders start rolling. But, you will EVENTUALLY get more randos, if you walk somewhere far away from the boulders. It takes several minutes, though...
Reading Wyvern wrote:
'm pretty sure the bug where Dodoria's portrait turns into Nappa is a translation patch bug
Most likely.
Reading Wyvern wrote:
[Y]ou can save the Vegeta card...for the amusing result of him flying to the afterlife to re-murder his partners.
Lol.
Reading Wyvern wrote:
Video 3:
*I think the whole cave switch area is possibly the worst part of the game, but I suspect it's as long and drawn out as it is to force as much experience on your party as possible to minimize the risk of getting stuck against the Ginyu Force later since there's such a huge difficult spike after Zarbon.
I feel like they should've just let Goku be LVL 33 or less, if that's the case. The game's programmed so that he'd arrive before Recoome & Guldo, if he's low enough...
Reading Wyvern wrote:
*From I can tell the way Vegeta works gets mocked in the Japanese fandom a bit--and for good reason. Too much RNG for the fights where you depend on him not Vegeta-ing things up.
Huh. So you know a bit of Japanese as well :) ?
Reading Wyvern wrote:
*Bug alert: If one of your characters levels up during the first phase of the Zarbon fight then the stat bonus they gain from that level is lost permanently once the battle ends. Vegeta always levels up from it so he never gets the stats he "should" have. This glitch also effects other multiphase fights, including one of the Freeza one, but this is the one where it's basically unavoidable.
Oof. That sucks :( ...

Fionordequester wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:41 am
x3 slower than this!! Even the world record is over 7 hours :shock: !!
I actually imported all the old card RPGs and I was just unable to finish that one because of the painful speed and individual map movement system. (I also couldn't finish Plot to Destroy the Saiyans but that's just because it was very hard and rather unfun due to being an RPG with a high encounter rate and no exp system).
Huh. So it's not just Ginyu...
I assume Ginyu's body change is why they build it that way because the second NES one works the same way (replacing your characters with bosses is OP in that one because unlike Legend of the Super Saiyan they have vastly higher hidden modifiers than your guys--Cui has five times Goku's regular attack strength!). Not sure about the other NES ones though.
Huh. So you know a bit of Japanese as well :) ?
Unfortunately not, I just like checking Japanese internet times with machine translation (which often gives you grammatically broken but correct information) for certain series' which have a lot of information you can't find in English--there are a few games where I've been able to greatly improve my skills by incorporating tips and info from Japanese sites.
Oof. That sucks :( ...
Yeah, I don't remember where I read about it, but I checked last time I played through this and it's a real bug. I went out of my way to make sure my party wouldn't gain a level from defeating Zarbon's first form.

Phew! Sorry this took so long! This is the end of the regular playthrough, but there will still be two bonus episodes! Look forward to those!

Episode 4: Legend of the Super Saiyan, Walkthrough (Transformed at Last)

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

INCREASED ENCOUNTERS TRICK (only useful for this one video):
Mash the Y button as you fly at *regular* speed.

The only downside is that the encounter rate spikes when you land. You'll want to either enter a building, or ascend and descend again. Either one will turn things back to normal.

MY ROUTE (mostly based on the world record route):

GETTING THE WISHES:
-Go to shop
---------SELL: All but x2 Oolongs + x1 Chi-Chi & Yemma for the following
---------BUY: x2 Kamis, x1 Escape, & x2 Grandpas
-Go down to cave
-Go down all the way, then left to fake Freeza. Make 7-Z Ki card and save
---------Turn 1: Piccolo fake Freeza if it has 4 Defense or more, then Gallic Gun (Z)
-Escape card, save, then exit the cave to see Nail’s death
---------Turns 1-2: Burn cards
---------Turn 3: Use Kami and burn a card
---------Turn 4: Burn a card
---------Turn 5: Use Kami and burn a card
---------Turn 6: Burn a card
---------Turn 7: Keep escaping till 1 Defense, then die
-Watch the cinematic, then pick the first option

PORUNGA TEXT BOX COMPARISON (to show what I meant):
Japanese: https://lpix.org/3834393/Dragon.png
Fan Translation: https://lpix.org/3834435/DBZ.png

1ST-3RD FREEZA:
-Fly up past mountains to water, go up till you see more mountains, then up-left to Freeza
---------Turn 1: Grandpa Gohan, then burn a weak card
-Fly upper-left to the shop
---------BUY: Kaio card
-Fly down till you can go left, then go left to fuse with Nail
---------Turn 2: Use Porunga to reduce HP to half (make a Z ki card if needed). Have Tien use the Multi-Form Attack afterwards.
---------Turn 3: Use Grandpa
---------Turns 4-7: Use Kaio, and have Piccolo lay a beating on Freeza
-Fly upper-right to two namekians to do Fusion!
-Go counter-clockwise to Freeza!
---------Turn 1: Single attacks with Piccolo, unless you have three yellow cards (burn for more yellows at the end, if it seems practical)
---------Turns 2-3: Yellow card if you can, and keep burning for ‘em when able
---------Turns Onward: Piccolo trades blows with Freeza
-Tap Y 3 times while regular flying to increase encounter rate, run from randos using Oolongs, then match blows with Freeza when applicable
-Go right to the shop near Freeza
---------SELL: Shenron & Goku
---------BUY: Up to x4 Oolongs & up to x2 Piccolos
-Go right, then upper-right to the next shop
---------BUY: x2 Gurus
-Fly lower-left to the house on the hill, then fly down to final arena
-Keep fighting Freeza till he decides to get serious
---------Turn 1: Use Porunga for 5 Z Ki cards, use Piccolo, then Demon Wave
---------Turn 2: Piccolo + Demon Wave
---------Turns 3-5: Piccolo & Vegeta burn cards

EASY ENDING:
-Goku flies to shop near where 3rd Freeza spawned
---------SELL: Porunga
---------BUY: x2 Yemmas, Chi-Chis, and Piccolos
-Fly to where Gohan flew to, using the same landmark, and save
---------Turn 1: Flee till weak cards, then sacrifice Vegeta (reset if he doesn’t cooperate)
---------Turn 2: Goku transforms with high attack card
---------Turn 3: Guru Goku, then Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha on Freeza
---------Turn 4: Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha on Freeza

SECRET ENDING:
---------SELL: Porunga
---------BUY: x2 Yemmas, x5 Piccolos, and as many Chi-Chis as possible
---------Turn 1: Sacrifice Chiatzu
---------Turn 2: Goku transforms with high attack card
---------Turn 3: Guru Goku, then Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha on Freeza
---------Turn 4: Z Ki Card Kamehameha on Freeza
-See ending scroll before Super Vegeta
---------Turn 1: Guru Goku, then Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha on Super Vegeta
---------Turns 2-4: Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha spam on Super Vegeta

BEST ENDING:
---------SELL: Porunga & Guru
---------BUY: x6 Piccolos, x3 Chi-Chis and Yemmas, and Oolongs with leftovers
---------Turn 1: Goku uses Kaioken with 7 or Z Ki card
---------Turn 2: Guru Goku, then Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha on Freeza
---------Turns 3-6: Piccolo + Z Ki Card Kamehameha spam on Freeza

"Good thing there was no cutscene before that!"
I'm having Kingdom Hearts flashbacks...

*Okay, so I was crazy enough to test something once; if you manage to kill Vegeta before the wish he gets revived along with Piccolo and any humans. Weirdly enough I think everyone keeps talking to him in that little scene before the Nail fight, but he doesn't respond because he's dead.

*For a while people thought you had to do some damage to Freeza in the Nail fight to get the extra wish rather than just surviving long enough.

*I was wondering how you'd get past Freeza's first form. I'd entirely forgotten you only had to get him to half HP then hit him once to get him to transform! I always just grind up to level 47.

Side note; you can skip fusing with Nail and fly Piccolo to join the fight when Freeza is still in his first form. This is a bad idea though.
Also Piccolo's level up chart is very weird here (him and Goku have odd ones in general but it's most visible here). He requires absurd amounts of experience to level up, so you pretty much need to fuse with Nail to do so. However if he came back with some humans they can level up here--although the humans are useless against Freeza without insane amounts of grinding and even then they're not that useful.

*Freeza in the game is 3,000,000 (and apparently has 2000 hp), but he can power up to 4,500,000--he only does this if Goku goes Super Saiyan (he's just content to die otherwise) and it seems very random when he does it; I've seen him do it the turn after Goku transformed once, but sometimes it takes a long while if you sandbag and don't just kill him first.

*We didn't get to see it, but unlike most bosses Freeza has a lot of special attacks outside generic blasts, including an energy bubble that stuns an opponent.

*Super Saiyan Vegeta is a really cool idea for a bonus boss, credit where credit is due. Oh, although at level 48 the Humans can sort of do things to Freeza they're basically worthless against Veggie.

*The game has an agility/speed stat (viewable when you look at people in the status menu). Like hit points boss agility is pretty bad later on--most don't go above 4 except Freeza's third form during the "chase" section (6), Fake Nail (5) and Super Vegeta (8). The humans all reach 8 except Chiaotzu (7), Gohan is 8, maxed Piccolo is 10, and Super Saiyan Goku is 12. That's partly why Freeza has so much trouble hitting Goku; I once exploited a bug to get Chiaotzu (sp?) to have an even higher power than Super Saiyan Goku and he doesn't dodge nearly as much.

Reading Wyvern wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:41 pm
"Good thing there was no cutscene before that!"
I'm having Kingdom Hearts flashbacks...
Oh gosh, don't remind me :shock: !
Reading Wyvern wrote:
*For a while people thought you had to do some damage to Freeza in the Nail fight to get the extra wish rather than just surviving long enough.
The first time I found out was when I did what I thought was the requirement, then still didn't get it. Some save state testing later, and that's when I realized the truth.
Reading Wyvern wrote:
*I was wondering how you'd get past Freeza's first form. I'd entirely forgotten you only had to get him to half HP then hit him once to get him to transform! I always just grind up to level 47.
Oof. How'd you do that?
Reading Wyvern wrote:
*Freeza in the game is 3,000,000 (and apparently has 2000 hp), but he can power up to 4,500,000--he only does this if Goku goes Super Saiyan (he's just content to die otherwise) and it seems very random when he does it; I've seen him do it the turn after Goku transformed once, but sometimes it takes a long while if you sandbag and don't just kill him first.

We didn't get to see it, but unlike most bosses Freeza has a lot of special attacks outside generic blasts, including an energy bubble that stuns an opponent.
I was thinking of making a video to go over all those. Even the bonus episodes didn't cover all the animations, so perhaps a 3rd one is due...
Reading Wyvern wrote:
Super Saiyan Vegeta is a really cool idea for a bonus boss, credit where credit is due.
I just wish Vegeta had unique boss music... I sped through him partially for lols, as the guy ALWAYS gets slapped down at the exact moment he thinks he's invincible. But, the other half was because he just used the regular battle theme. I don't like my episodes being longer than 30 minutes, so I figured that if I had to choose between the fight with boss music, and the fight with regular music, then the fight with boss music was gonna get priority :P
Reading Wyvern wrote:
*The game has an agility/speed stat (viewable when you look at people in the status menu). Like hit points boss agility is pretty bad later on--most don't go above 4 except Freeza's third form during the "chase" section (6), Fake Nail (5) and Super Vegeta (8). The humans all reach 8 except Chiaotzu (7), Gohan is 8, maxed Piccolo is 10, and Super Saiyan Goku is 12. That's partly why Freeza has so much trouble hitting Goku; I once exploited a bug to get Chiaotzu (sp?) to have an even higher power than Super Saiyan Goku and he doesn't dodge nearly as much.
I see. Do you know of any formulas or anything showing exactly how all that works?

Alright guys, you saw the Super Saiyan Legend. Y'all ready for the Super Bug Legend?

Extra 1: DBZ The Super Bug Legend, Walkthrough (Goku's Unusual Journey)

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

INCREASED ENCOUNTERS TRICK (only useful for chasing 3rd Freeza):
Mash the Y button as you fly at *regular* speed.

THE WORLD RECORD ROUTE:

RADITZ:
-Talk to Bulma for Dragon Radar & Roshi for 40z
-Fly up-left to shop
---------BUY: x1 Puar & x3 Oolongs
-Go up to cave
-Use Radar Glitch to skip encounters and go along
---------Go to Puar, then press Up + A at the same time to use Radar in-battle; Now you can move on the overworld! Map will stop scrolling when you get stuck
-Get the Yemma card in the bottom-left
-Fight a x2 Junior Saibamen encounter when you find them, so you can skip the bosses
-Radar Glitch fake Radiz & real Raditz

TRAINING #1:
-Radar Glitch Piccolo
-Beat Planet as fast as possible
-Radar Glitch King Kai

WORLD MAP:
-Go down to get Krillin
-Enter lower-right house near Yamcha
-Get Yamcha
-Go lower-right to shops for Tien & Chiatzu!
-Drop Oolongs and bottom Puar

VEGETA:
---------Check Status screen, check a guy in 2nd row, press A, then press Item to glitch out. Press B till back at menu, then Flee to make the left glitch card orange. 3rd person selects x3 normal cards, then selects the glitched one. Back out once to get two glitch cards, select the last normal card, select the rightmost glitch card, then keep backing out to have a full set of super cards! Select the rightmost super card and press X and confirm to instantly end the battle
-Radar Glitch x5 Saibamen & Nappa
-Use Grandpa + weak card on Vegeta (killing him freezes the game)
-Gohan uses super card on Vegeta

CUI-CUI:
-Fly upper-right to cutscene
-Effortlessly dodge Dodoria beams by tapping down
-Fly up to two warrior namekians, enter house, then recruit them
-Fly lower-left to shop
---------SELL: Piccolo, Vegeta, & Guru
---------BUY: x6 Bubbles → x1 Escape → x2 Bubbles → x1 Chi-Chi
-Fly down till you pass a house, go left when you can, go down around pillar and continue left to the cave
-Walk down a tic, then use Bubbles
-Go left to dead end, go down past capsule, then use Bubbles when you seen 2nd one
-Go down further to get a Goku from the 3rd one
-Go up-right, then use Bubbles once the left capsule is off-screen
-Get Grandpa from capsule, go down to three-way, then use Bubbles
-Go right, dodge boulders, then get Dragon Ball
-Exit cave, and kill Cui-Cui with super card!

DODORIA:
-Fly a bit right, then straight up to big house
-Check upper-left pot for child
-Fly up to Bulma’s ship, then kill either with Yemma + normal card, or just super card

TRAINING #2:
-Goku crushes gravity machine, using Super → Z → 6+ → 5+
---------Save Demon card for Gohan!
-Piccolo Radar Glitches the saiyans!
-MAKE SURE TO SAVE DEMON CARD FOR GOHAN!

ZARBON:
-Fly left to cave
-Go up, go left when you can’t go up, and check hole for Shenron!
-Escape, fly to upper-right big house to find 58z in lower-right pot
-Go lower-left to shop
---------SELL: Piccolo & x2 Shenrons
---------BUY: x13 Bubbles & x1 Escape
-Fly up into mountain wall, then right to cave
-Head to mini-boss
-Re-Order: Krillin, Tien, Gohan, then default.
---------Humans pick random cards (avoid Ki if possible), then Gohan picks demon card. Back out, and the cursor should hover over an invisible card. Use that card, back out, and you’ll get a glitched card! Back out till the cursor isn’t there, then attack with just the humans to end the fight!
-Use Chi-Chi on glitched card, then go to the exit
-Talk to Guru, then backtrack to Zarbon
-Radar Glitch Zarbon

GINYU FORCE:
-Train x4 times, then Escape Glitch Recoome & Guldo to skip to Jeice & Burter (works the same as Radar Glitch; Puar allows a field-only card to be used as a battle card)
---------Flee x5 times, use Goku on the 4th card, check Goku stats, A to regular menu, check Items to glitch out again, back out to main menu, have Krillin select far left glitch card, select the next two in sequence, back out thrice to make three glitch cards, select the rightmost card, then select the golden Z card in the middle. Back out twice more to make two of those, then Radar Glitch
-Fly up for a second, then go upper-right until Goku finds Ginyu
-Goku beats up Ginyu with glitch card + Kaioken
-Gohan beats up Ginyu Force with rightmost golden card

GETTING THE WISHES:
-Fly upper-left to cave
-Go down all the way, then left to fake Freeza. Gohan kills with regular card
-Escape, then Radar Glitch Freeza

FREEZA:
-Fly past mountains to water, then more mountains, then up-left to Freeza
-Grandpa, then Vegeta burns a card
-Piccolo flies left, and a tiny bit up, to fuse with Nail
-Radar Glitch Freeza twice
-Fly upper-right to Freeza’s goons
-Kill the 1st with golden card, then Radar Glitch 2nd & 3rd
-Radar Glitch Freeza, but after using Radar, HOLD DOWN AND MASH A!
-Descend, then ascend again, and go right for about 4 seconds before going down
-Wiggle up and down once the screen locks, and do that while skipping all the encounters
-Gohan kills 3rd & 4th Freeza with glitched Ki cards!
-Could also have Krillin do it with Kienzan, for the memes

Ah, now we get to a video on the game's real most famous feature--the glorious glitches.

*I assumed Freeza's fourth form would be scripted not to die until Goku got there! Apparently not. I can't even pretend to be surprised though. Apparently, the final form Freeza you fight before Goku gets there is apparently a different version than the "proper" boss fight--notably he only has a power level of 1,700,000 instead of 3,000,000 but has 4 speed instead of 3 and an inflated defense value (50 instead of the normal 30)--I guess it was done to make his defensive power about the same but making sure his attack wasn't so strong he butchered Piccolo before Goku arrived.

Fionordequester wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:50 pm
Oof. How'd you do that?
The fast forward option on my Retron5. ;) Now that I know about the "half HP" trick I'll just use that in the future.
Now, leveling everyone to that maximum for completion purposes---that took a long, long time, even on fast forward and I am never, ever doing it again.
I just wish Vegeta had unique boss music... I sped through him partially for lols, as the guy ALWAYS gets slapped down at the exact moment he thinks he's invincible. But, the other half was because he just used the regular battle theme. I don't like my episodes being longer than 30 minutes, so I figured that if I had to choose between the fight with boss music, and the fight with regular music, then the fight with boss music was gonna get priority :P
Yeah, I do like the battle theme but it really needed unique boss music too, not just for Freeza.
I see. Do you know of any formulas or anything showing exactly how all that works?
Unfortunately not; I didn't realize it existed until I saw the speed stat listed on a website and then noticed it's visible in the status menu. It's effect on evasion is technically just observation rather than confirmed but it was very consistent observation. It might be why level 48 humans can tag Freeza fairly often despite the huge power gap.

Alright guys, last episode! A showcase of a bunch of neat little things I didn't get to show!

Extra 2: DBZ Legend of the Super Saiyan (Secrets Revealed)

TIME STAMPS:

0:00-1:53: Training Room

1:53-2:37: Zenkai Boost

2:37-4:11: Nappa Slaughters Z-Warriors

4:11-6:00: Trading Quest (Earth)

6:00-8:01: Oozaru Gohan

8:01-10:04: Oozaru Vegeta

10:04-11:54: Warrior Namekians & Alternate Game Over screen

11:54-17:48: Easy LVL 48 (maximum level)!

17:48-21:45: Killing Freeza without Goku (3 Turn Fight)!

Thanks for the let's play! It was very interesting to see some of the tricks used to get through the game quickly, especially when the old walkthroughs always said you just had to grind constantly to do everything.

Some final notes:
*Ki training raises it by up to 5--how much you get depends on how much you mash the button before the time is up, you need 49+ pushes for 5. In a normal playthrough it can useful early on to get a few more special attacks out of your characters, since the more expensive ones can be draining at early levels but in general I prefer the money.
*You mentioned the zenkai boost so now I can mention one of those silly but not useful tricks you can do; during the Raditz part buy a bunch of Kami cards. Then keep getting Goku low on health while he's restraining Raditz and healing him to powerlevel up. It's not really useful since Goku is barely in your party and Raditz is the only place where he really gets a chance to level up normally with his strength otherwise being mostly set by story progress.
*According to one site, Oozaru Gohan can still get the angry power boost if the conditions are right! Not sure how easy it would be to actually use though.
*I'm not sure why they made the fight have to drag on so long for Vegeta to transform.
*You know I never even considered using the Vegeta card on the Namekians. I guess that's the most in character way to get that particular game over.
*Something that is less obvious in a speed run where you have vastly fewer fights, but the normal attack animations change and get more ornate at higher levels. This is cool but can also make the fights take even longer so it's a bit double edged.
*It's possible to fight Cui before going through the cave. If you go southeast of your starting position before meeting Freeza you find him by a space pod. He will murder you if you don't call in Vegeta to help, and even if you do he might murder some of your characters if you don't keep paralyzing him with Grandpa.

Reading Wyvern wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:13 pm
It's possible to fight Cui before going through the cave. If you go southeast of your starting position before meeting Freeza you find him by a space pod. He will murder you if you don't call in Vegeta to help, and even if you do he might murder some of your characters if you don't keep paralyzing him with Grandpa.
Oh crud... I totally forgot to mention that! See, if you do that, your characters have a 100% chance of running away; Meaning I can't depower any Ki cards Vegeta uses. That, and the boulders, are why I don't challenge Cui earler. Whoops :? !