28%
Duessel
39%
Both?!
33%

Total votes: 18

I don't think i've ever seen someone so determined to use Gilliam :v:

But hey, no deaths!

I think giving Franz the energy ring if you were going to promote him anyway is probably overkill, but then again overkill is the best kind of kill.

We should probably decide on a path before Tanegashima (right?) takes over, unless we're counting that as part of the responsibility of playing those chapters? Should we do a poll or something?

I mean, either way we get the swole Kyle and a chance at Amelia, but Ephraim's got some good stats this time around. Then again, Eirika gets Gerik way earlier, so...

I don't know what the deal is on this, but if there's a vote, I think I may go Ephraim to be non-standard.

Added a poll to determine what we do. It’ll be running for like 6 days, because I have way too little faith in update schedules. But in the end I’m just expecting whoever takes up the file to just make a decision without anybody’s input.

I though Ephraim Route was the standard because of Ephraim having Javelins and Duessel being a game-sweeper, but shows what I know. Is early Gerik that much better than early Cormag?

Greener223224 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:04 pm
I though Ephraim Route was the standard because of Ephraim having Javelins and Duessel being a game-sweeper, but shows what I know. Is early Gerik that much better than early Cormag?
I don't know what the optimal route is, I just assumed Eirika was standard because she's the Lord you start with. I'm not going to downplay Innes' and Tethys' usefulness, but Gerik is just personally really good. Aside from just having some pretty good bases and acceptable growth rates, he comes with both a Steel Blade and a promotion item for himself. That, and I just can't get over that man having 13 Con and a starting 10 Def as a sword user. It's just great.

I'm horribly biased on this, though, so I don't know what else to say.

Greener223224 wrote:
I doubt it offhand since wyvern typically > merc but it wouldn't surprise me if people really just hated Ghost Ship that much because I know I do.

I feel like we have to go Ephraim for Ghost Ship. I don't think it's fair that I get the one asshole chapter and we just dodge the other one. Besides, it's a succession game, we should be seeking out at least some risk to give the next player a potentially awkward situation they have to work around. Otherwise it's not as fun.

And now I realize that Ephraim Route is essentially a Hard Mode in itself. Eirika’s Chapter 10 is for protecting the safety of Marisa from Gerik rather than a Knight Crest and Cormag from each other, Chapter 11 is tight corridors in flier-proof spaces rather than open spaces filled with Mogalls and Gargoyles, Chapter 12 is a hallway, Chapter 13’s biggest setpiece can be ignored just by rushing the boss after waiting to recruit Cormag, and Chapter 14 has no status staves and Rennac only starts moving once you open up his roof.

What’s the most commonly referred to tier list for all the games?

I mean if the intent was for the person playing when the route split happens to pick a path then that's fine too, i just think we should establish what the process is going to be.

Greener223224 wrote:
I though Ephraim Route was the standard because of Ephraim having Javelins and Duessel being a game-sweeper, but shows what I know.
The Flying Twybil wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:48 pm
I don't know what the optimal route is
Plenty of people have javelins and Duessel is only one character. Ephraim's route has what's probably the hardest map in the game, more enemies with status staves and a higher level of challenge in general. If you're picking based on what's easier, it's going to be Eirika every time. But "easy" probably isn't the main point if you're playing a version with an un-fucked hard mode.

Personally though, i've just done two runs of Ephraim's route in a row so i'd be perfectly happy to see Eirika's this time. :j:

e: and as for doing both, it's probably better to bring that up after the first run finishes and see if there's still enough people interested in continuing by then. We're not even halfway through yet so i feel we should focus on getting the first run completed first.

vilk wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 pm
e: and as for doing both, it's probably better to bring that up after the first run finishes and see if there's still enough people interested in continuing by then. We're not even halfway through yet so i feel we should focus on getting the first run completed first.
I had this really dumb idea where we do both at the same time so that we have two workloads moving at the same time instead of one, similar to my dreams of an FE16 playthrough channeling the Dominions 3 LP by a bunch of people where all four routes are being done at the same time, but by different people. But yeah, that just seems confusing and unreasonable.

It could certainly be done, if we had enough people. But so far we don't have enough to finish even the first run without repeating players. Might have been easier to pull off on SA, but it's probably better to take it easy with an audience this small.

vilk wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 pm
Plenty of people have javelins and Duessel is only one character. Ephraim's route has what's probably the hardest map in the game, more enemies with status staves and a higher level of challenge in general. If you're picking based on what's easier, it's going to be Eirika every time. But "easy" probably isn't the main point if you're playing a version with an un-fucked hard mode.

Personally though, i've just done two runs of Ephraim's route in a row so i'd be perfectly happy to see Eirika's this time. :j:

I voted for Gerik, couldn't resist it even if Rambo's stats were looking good

Blue or bust, I say :j:
Greener223224 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:15 pm
I had this really dumb idea where we do both at the same time so that we have two workloads moving at the same time instead of one, similar to my dreams of an FE16 playthrough channeling the Dominions 3 LP by a bunch of people where all four routes are being done at the same time, but by different people. But yeah, that just seems confusing and unreasonable.
I mean it would be fascinating to do two at once or even all FE16 routes at once, but we'd definitely need to build a bigger audience for this first.

Perhaps in time, but for now we're still riding the waves out on the Beach. Hopefully we'll draw in more people over time.

I would've volunteered but as someone who's only played the opening maps of FE8 before, the idea of playing maps I'm not familiar with late into the game on Hard in a harder Hard mode while being an ironman run scares me.

Basically, I always play FE on Normal so I'm intimidated by the idea of joining and then losing like. All the characters. IDK how common a thought that is because I don't know how many lurkers the Beach has though.

Ok, I'm going to claim the next round, since it looks like there's no one else to!

Well, I was waiting until a route was chosen before saying anything, but that's the price I pay for lurking too much.

I wish to claim the 2 chapters after metis' turn, please.

metis wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:20 am
Ok, I'm going to claim the next round, since it looks like there's no one else to!
We had a couple "maybe in the future" type posts but i interpreted this
Tanegashima wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 pm
I will add my name to the hat.
as actually signing up for the next part.

e: maybe we should keep a list of sign-ups in the op? Unless i'm missing something, the confirmed ones we currently have are,

Ch 9-10: Tanegashima
Ch 11-12: metis
Ch 13-14: Not Enryu

vilk wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 am
metis wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:20 am
We had a couple "maybe in the future" type posts but i interpreted this
Tanegashima wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 pm
I will add my name to the hat.
as actually signing up for the next part.
Not Enryu wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:40 am
Well, I was waiting until a route was chosen before saying anything, but that's the price I pay for lurking too much.

I wish to claim the 2 chapters after metis' turn, please.
That's good, I was genuinely worried there was no one else to go next! I'm happy to step back then, I have a deadline that means I really shouldn't be doing LP stuff at the moment. (Plus that way I don't have to worry about converting the srm file :twisted: )

I have the save ready and intend to play through it tonight.

EDIT: Technical difficulties, waiting for McD to help me figure out how to get the .srm to run in VBA. In the meantime, more people should sign up!

Tanegashima wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:25 am
EDIT: Technical difficulties, waiting for McD to help me figure out how to get the .srm to run in VBA. In the meantime, more people should sign up!
Just renaming it to .sav works for me. AFAIK battery saves are generally compatible between emulators, even if their savestate formats are not.

vilk wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:50 am
Tanegashima wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:25 am
Just renaming it to .sav works for me. AFAIK battery saves are generally compatible between emulators, even if their savestate formats are not.
I hit up Tanegashima on Discord and we figured out the problem - turns out the save file and the ROM didn't have the same name on their end, and that's why it wouldn't load.

Should be smooth sailing from here.

Ooh yeah, that's a thing too. For anyone else having issues with it, you can also File->Import->Battery file in VBA to grab a save that doesn't match the rom's filename.

Also, when you do post the update, remember to put it in a collapse box, like this:
[Collapse]text[\collapse]
But with the slash facing the other direction.

Slight note on collapses. You have to give them a title, like this:

[collapse="My Title Here"]My content here![/collapse]

Or it won't work.

Can't say I've ever played a Fire Emblem game like this, but it should be fun! I'll throw my hat into the ring for a go at this.

Okay everyone, the good news is, I got the recording for Ch 8 done.

The bad news is, we're not getting any mage promotions for Christmas this year.

Ouch, RIP Lute. On to Artur, I guess.

If this is Ironman, does that mean you're not allowed to scout out a map first? Like, if I played a Fog of War map, and wanted to have a Thief use a Torch before deciding how I wanted to move?

EDIT: Also, can I say just how WONDERFUL it is, getting to have an avatar I actually like? Without having to pay for it :lol: ?

Fionordequester wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:39 pm
If this is Ironman, does that mean you're not allowed to scout out a map first? Like, if I played a Fog of War map, and wanted to have a Thief use a Torch before deciding how I wanted to move?

EDIT: Also, can I say just how WONDERFUL it is, getting to have an avatar I actually like? Without having to pay for it :lol: ?
You can scope out with guides and Torch spam just fine, I’m not anti-prior knowledge. The Ironman rule is just for preventing people from resetting bad levels and deaths when you actually begin trying.

Poll ended a couple days ago. We're going Ephraim Route.

Tanegashima, do you still have the update? You didn't need to wait for the poll to finish to post it.

Ephraim Route is going to be rough. How many units we betting on coming out of the ghost ship alive?

Please note: Due to adverse circumstances, Greener223224 is no longer able to host the LP directly, but I'll be happy to edit the OP to keep things rolling, and handle save file exchange if need be.

I was wondering what was going to happen to this given the whole thing that happened.

If at any point the volunteer list ends up empty, I'll throw my hat in the ring again. Until then, I'm waiting to see how this turns out.

Hello, I am not dead, this is just the first weekend I've actually had a weekend for. I'm probably going to pass off the save at the route split after I write up this chapter, unless demand dictates otherwise.