The future is ours! Let's Play Xenoblade Chronicles

Put your Let's Plays in here.
ImageImage

Alvis you don't need to pose for literally every camera shot, take it down a notch.

Except for the usual JRPG diversions I really enjoy the (still ongoing) build up Xenoblade has. It manages to stack reveal on top of reveal for quite some time and never reach a point where it feels too much.

ImageImage

The amount of passenger space on that ship seems somewhat small.

I'm not sure why they even bothered with that entire rigmarole with Melia but JRPGs do seem to occasionally get obsessed with writing their characters into a complicated social structure only to have to write them out of it shortly afterwards so they can help kill god or whatever. Also wow Sharla maybe meet Fiora first before starting to pull on a side of the triangle.

Episode 24: Reyn is rocking the Bowser look, I see.

Episode 25: Okay, I think I'm starting to see how this is related to Xenogears. But seriously, how did the assassin lady get in here? Did she have to go past the big door?
"State your name and purpose."
"Tyrea of the Bionicle, here to kill Princess Melia."
"Okay cool, go right ahead"

My guess is she had to take the same route the party did due to Reyn, and had been waiting there off to the side for possibly hours. Seems to me that you plan this shit out in advance rather than winging it off the cuff.

I have finally caught up on this thread. I am enjoying this game, even if there are still a few clunky sections (like in a few cases where you leave the guest room(?) in Alcamoth to go to the throne room/somewhere else, then immediately go back to the guest room 5 minutes later to do a different cutscene). Basically, it boils down to weird pacing issues.

Still, I do feel bad for Sharla. I don't think I've ever seen a white mage character get that screwed over with their combat options like she has.

Alvis is just off screen, desperately posing to try and get the team back on track.

"Melia Antiqua, DEA agent" was not the direction I expected her character to go after properly joining the party, but here we are.

AradoBalanga wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:29 pm
"Melia Antiqua, DEA agent" was not the direction I expected her character to go after properly joining the party, but here we are.
If anyone's a bunch of narcs its definitely the high entia.

There's those JRPG diversions we've been missing.

I find it very troubling that the gap between jungle and snow-covered mountains is literally a two foot walk.

Look, I'm not sure what causes biomes when you live on the corpse of a titan. Are you?

"Ah, Shulk, thank you for... finally... joining me at the mountains. Now we should proceed to... wait where are you going?"

Sure, just squoosh Lupa down a crack underneath the sarcophagus. Nopon don't have bones, right?

ImageImage

I think I promised this in the video too.

I definitely do not like our snow area being on a permanent 60 degree incline for most of the area, where even the slightest jump can result in you taking 1000 fall damage. At least funky ice physics seems to be relegated to one single stretch of the mountain and not all over the place.

It should have been optionally all over the place, use Reyn's weapon as a sled and pile everyone in.

ImageImage

Happy thanksgiving folks, the LP'll be taking a short break for the holiday so we'll be back at the usual time next Thursday.

You know a lot of cutscenes end with Shulk and co running after the camera

ImageImage

You want there to not be quests in a new area? What kind of game do you think this is.

It has come up before but those fortress mechon are an even bigger example of the sort of silly scale enemies get to. When you're dealing with the distorted scales of games like the old Final Fantasies it gets obscured but having the characters actively fight against something that could kill them just by sitting down just looks funny.

Also after the 6th time someone mumbles something under their breath and then follows it up with "nothing" I'd probably start getting annoyed.

Kibayasu wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 am
It has come up before but those fortress mechon are an even bigger example of the sort of silly scale enemies get to. When you're dealing with the distorted scales of games like the old Final Fantasies it gets obscured but having the characters actively fight against something that could kill them just by sitting down just looks funny.
I remember intentionally going back to fight those oversized mechs for the sheer satisfaction of doing it. I almost managed to beat them while I was there, but, eh.
Kibayasu wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 am
Also after the 6th time someone mumbles something under their breath and then follows it up with "nothing" I'd probably start getting annoyed.
In a game where people are shouting battle cries constantly, you'd think they'd be better at communication. Any time I see this sort of thing RPGs I can't help but be reminded of this.

ImageImage

So, that wasn't the power of friendship. What made that whole scene happen the way it did?

I wanna say the Power of Anime Bullshit, but I'm not quite sure.

I like how Shulk's Monado-vision predicted a miss. "Look out, Dunban! Or don't, I guess. Whatever."

ImageImage

Reyn is an audience surrogate more than anything, really. He's dumb enough to be totally unfamiliar with stuff that a Bionis resident really should know, which makes him a perfect vehicle for both exposition and a sense of "Wow, look at this! Isn't it cool?"

Always with the "kill the bad guy immediately after not killing him" trope. Honestly just let the heroes do the murder.

ImageImage

Shulk: "Shit, there's not enough horizontal space to perform a dramatic sprint toward or away from the camera! Unless..."

ImageImage

What the fuck kind of way to administer water is that. Shulk just pretend you know how to do CPR like a normal person. Well that aside Fiora's warmness always comes across as extremely genuine so its nice to have her back.

Shulk was 100% not considering the possibility that Fiora might rust. Whenever she's around, there's no room for any thoughts in his head beyond "FIORAAAAA!" He's trying to resume their relationship right where it left off, with no awareness or consideration that hey, she's a robot now, maybe some things are a little different? His invitation to the Unhealthy Obsession With The Female Lead Club* is in the mail as we speak.

*Chairman: Leonard Whiteknight

For the holidays, we're going to be taking a break for the Xenoblade LP, so no new updates for this week or next. We'll see you in the next year!