We Need More Lezco - Let's Play Thea: The Awakening

Put your Let's Plays in here.

What is this game?

Thea is what you get when you take a 4x game like Civilization, mix it together with a survival roguelike, then decide to mix it with card based combat, and then a bit of Slavic mythology for good measure.

Now that sounds like a lot, but somehow, it works.

Released a few years ago by MuHa Games, they've since released what looks like a more fleshed out sequel, but I've never played it so I can't give any commentary on that.

How much Slavic mythology? Do I need to know any?

It's honestly pretty light on its mythology to begin with while including common fantasy races as well, so you'll be fine not knowing much. It's enough to give it a nice flavor, at least.

If you know a good bit about Slavic mythology and care to share some knowledge in the thread, by all means do so.

What's the gist of the story?

The first update is the short intro of the game, but the gist is that there was a giant tree acting as a pillar of balance to the world. Humans didn't follow the warnings, it got burned down and everything got covered in evil darkness for a long time. Now we're just trying to survive the post-apocalypse since the sun came back.

Oh, and we're a god looking to regain our power as we protect our last living worshippers. (Though we're never in control of our god, really, just its people.)

Sounds cool, but why are you LPing this?

Part of it's me trying to work my way out of a depressive funk, the other half is just me wanting to play this game some more.

The thing is, this game burns out kinda quickly when you really know what you're doing, similarly to Civ, and it definitely loses lots of its magic when you know how to deal with every event perfectly.

The solution? Goons, and Beach Bums.

Does that mean-

Yes, there will be lots and lots of

:siren:Thread Participation:siren:

Everything from our god choice, names, and actions will be dictated by thread votes. In fact, since every villager is personalized you can sign up to be one of our dwarves villagers.

This'll all be done in SSLP, a few turns at a time, prompting for votes whenever it seems right. I'll mostly be playing it by ear and making adjustments while we go. A typical game runs to about turn 200-250, and for the first few turns, I'll hold the reins a little tighter so I have enough time to explain some basic mechanics, but that won't be for long. Regardless of what the thread runs us into, I'll do my best to play through it as well as possible.

There's also a good soundtrack and voice acting for the whole base game, but there's really no efficient way to link to it for this style of LP.

I'm also capturing it in the best size resolution I can without super-downsizing it. This game looks horrendous at 800x600, and really not great at any resolution lower than 1600x900, so I apologize ahead of time for the images not being the clearest things in the world. As I said, I'm playing this by ear, so if you ever have any suggestions for changes, go ahead and hit me with 'em.

For those just tuning in:
This has been going for a few months now, and updates approximately monthly, where I end each update polling for suggestions on how to move forward. Each character is named after someone from the thread who wanted their name in the pool, and story-wise I mostly just write whatever comes to mind, really.

It's stream of consciousness emergent storytelling, I guess. There's a decent backlog of updates for ya, and plenty of time to wait out the next update.

Updates:
Update 1: The Book of Dark, (And The First Votes)
Update 2: It Begins (Turn 1 - Turn 4)
Update 3: Malicious Mandibles (Turn 5 - Turn 8)
Update 4: Silver and Gold, Curses and Construction (Turn 9 - 27)
Update 5: A Tale of Magics, Monarchs, and Motivations (Turn 27 - 38)
Update 6: Negotiations and Banishment Songs (Turn 38 - 50)
Update 7: Striga Hunter G (Turn 51 - 63)
Update 8: Piecing Together the Past (Turn 64 - 73)
Update 9: Piles of Treasure (Turn 73 - 100)
Update 10: Chartreuse (Turns 100 - 111)
Update 11: It Begins (Turn 112 - 150)
Update 12: Monster Dance (Turn 152 - 163)
Update 13: A Cosmic Quest (Turn 163 - 174)
Update 14: The Serpent of Chaos (Turn 175 - 185)
Update 15: Epilogue

Extras:
After-lesson 1: Researching in the Age of Darkness (And More Voting)
Update 2, on April 4th
Last edited by The Flying Twybil on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Reserved, just in case

Update 11: It Begins

Ah, yes, greetings to you again. I suppose if you're all here, you want to hear more of the story of Goatmurdered?

Right, right, I'll get on with it then. At least these tumultuous times have given me enough time to work through some more records.

Turn 115 - 140

We return to the story just after the Dance Macabre collected its new gear. At this time, a consensus was met that they would scour the land for more teammates, and more pressingly, newer food types. There was no saying how dangerous these god-given quests would be, and no immediate time limit either.

All the meanwhile, they'd work on gathering some new foods.

Image Been gettin' real tired of that bigos. About time, y'know?
Image Well, it'll keep me on my feet, I suppose.
Image You'll all get used to it, yeah. Not so bad, at least when there ain't undead.
Image -And don't worry about that. We haven't met anything we haven't easily taken down without harm. Haven't forgotten anything have you?
Image Not that I can think of.

---

Image DON'T LEAVE ME HERE WITH THESE NUTCASES
Image Alone, I stand valiantly upon these war-torn fields...
Image What, afraid of a little magic?
Image Kehehe...
Image Ye foul leafy beings, cower in despair for you meet the Reaper!
Image Can I just go back to the mines...? It's too bright here...

Around this time, Drakenel committed herself to studying more materials and crafting more trinkets.

Unusually, those who'd make a scientific discovery that day were those on the road.

Image So, you're telling me all "Elven Wood" has shaggy bark?
Image Pretty much. The oldest wood is usually smoother though.
Image Does the sap always make it yellow like this?
Image From what I've overheard, that just suggests it was an older tree.
Image Older wood, yellow...
Image Wait a second.

Image *Facepalm*
Image What is it?
Image I think I just remembered where an ancient grove might be.
Image Excellent! Though, how do you plan on getting past the poison?
Image Don't you know?
Image I may have been a druid, but I was on the military side of druidism. I only know some information about trees that I gathered from our woodcrafters.
Image Ah.

From there, our adventurers settled down not too far outside of town to gather more food. For the time being, mushrooms would be their first addition to their diet, despite not doing much but being an alternative to vegetables.

At home, the only thing of note was a visit by the Lapiduch which did precisely as it usually did. Truth be told, I'm not sure why it even did, or what made this visit different.

Image Hey, uh... did something feel off about that summon...?
Image Not at all... kehehe...
Image Oh, er, that might be it getting eaten by the Lapiduch outside. When did that get here?
Image Bad scheduling... I'm going back to sleep.
Image ...Did we summon that one?

Image ...Why do I feel so refreshed today?
Image Eh, back to work.

While the less gathering-oriented members of the Dance remained in camp to actively refine their important skills, the town back home was growing in skill whether they meant to or not.

Image Damn, what's with my eyes all of the sudden? It's getting all blurry and I'm not even wearing one of those...
Image ... *Pops head ot window*
Image YOUR HEXES AREN'T GOING TO WORK ON ME, WITCH!

--
Image What's that little hooligan yelling about now?
Image And she calls us crazy. *shrugs*

Turn 127 - 131

In time, they'd gathered more than enough fungi, and moved onto finding some fruits they'd spotted in the marshes.

It was easier work than they had expected. Their job complete, they headed to bring it all back home to have it be cooked into fine meals suitable as travel rations.

...But the Darkness, (or a particularly hotheaded god,) saw it fit to test them one more time before they got back.

Image Damn these storms! I'm not losing all of our hard work a half mile from home!
Image ...Behind me. Quickly!
Image Huh? What happen?

Image You there, crow, cut through the winds like a mighty albatross! Keep hold on our supplies!
Image Ca-CAAAAAAW!
Image I am the master of the skies! Pitiful winds, take heed of my power and QUAIL!
Image Caw-haw-haw!
Image Was makin' the bird go crazy with power necessary? This really ain't nothin- I got this.
Image You'd be surprised at what helps sometimes.
Image Me not understand why pack scared. Just water.

Image Everything's safe and sound it seems. Let's go get us some lezco. It's been forever.
Image Caw... my great wings... caw-haw...
Image Great, now ya done depressed 'im.
Image I suppose anyone would be if you temporarily gave them the power they craved. Nothing lasts forever after all.
Image And this is coming from the, what, 200 year old gal? How old even are -mmphmph...!
Image For the sake of your personal safety, I'd suggest you don't pursue this line of questioning.
Image *Holds up axe, and stares grimly*
Image *Pulls out sword and raises an eyebrow*
Image Fine, fine, just get your dirty paws off my mouth. Sheesh.

--

Image 'Ey, what's got you down, Jim?
Image ...I had the greatest wings...! A king of the skies I was, ruler of the winds...!
Image Oh, right, that magicky thing. I heard about that- 'ey, better to have had and lost than never had at all, little guy. Ya got to experience it, at least. No more wonderin' and waitin'.
Image Ah, but what am I now? Nothing to crow at in the slightest, caw-haw...
Image Horsefeathers! Yer a fine lookin' bird. Just haven't found the right ladybird, y'know? Look at me, I ain't had any luck since joining up with this group- they're all busied up with their weapons and magic and ain't got the time to look my way.
Image Horse feathers, how ridiculous, caw-haw-haw!
Image When, this whole darkness thing is over, you and me's gonna go lookin... How long you think it's going to take to find a lass with a lady-bird on her shoulder?
Image Caw-haw-haw! Not long at all, if my expert senses have anything to say about it!

After dropping off the food, the group thought they were done with unusual happenings for a while, but it was not to be. Just a brief stroll outside Goatmurdered, past the bend in the road and they came to a place they'd never seen before...

Image No... is this even possible? Why is this even here?
Image Do you know this place?

Image It's... Silveroak. One of the largest and oldest elven cities, it fell under a curse long ago. It's people fled as refugees...
Image What kind of curse?
Image That, I don't know. I had only come here a few times in the past...

Image Wait, this ash, this means someone still has to be here, otherwise this retreat would've faded away by now.
Image C'mon, follow me. And watch your step, these pathways were made for those who step lightly.

Image Amazing...
Image It's like the houses are part of the trees. How did they do this?
Image The work of Elven woodweavers is truly exceptional, and it's secrets are locked behind an ancient tradition of magic I hardly know of. These buildings, though, they've been here for nearly ten-thousand years, I'd say.
Image Hm, I guess even if they aren't immediately practical, they're at least built to last.
Image Indeed- Hold, something is watching us. I can feel it.

Image Alys?! You're still alive?!
Image Indeed, though the definition of living must be strained in these times.
Image Mm, indeed.
Image Anyhow...

Image So that is the curse here...
Image Ah, then you know of it?
Image Only minorly. Most of the other clans had very little knowledge of what happened.

Image I'll stand back and let them hear it from you.

Image I was wondering how just one curse could destroy a whole city. I mean, Evil King here's already put down some strong ones but...
Image The rules of magic become convoluted, yes.
Image (Truly? "Evil King"?)
Image (Long story.)
Image Hey, when ya "say thousand suns", are ya talking years?!

Image Sounds fine to me- I see no reason not to help.
Image I'm up for it, but for a curse this bad, how powerful was your ex-boyfriend?
Image Not very. He was always quite awful with magic and much more the harmless sort- something must've helped him, so do be careful.

---

Image Truly? A lover's spat?
Image Touche, but still, you know I never had any luck with men.
Image Still, I'm assuming the Darkness is likely at the source of this curse somehow- the timing's right.
Image This Darkness, what did cause it?
Image Human greed and foolishness. An incorrect line of thinking that magic was holding them back somehow.
Image Oh, I suppose I should've come to that conclusion. Still, it makes me wonder...
Image What, that this might have been avoided had we properly trained them to use magic?
Image Indeed. We were afraid of their warfaring nature, and their pillaging of the land, but, although that thread of fate might have been better than this one.
Image Only time will tell.

As the adventuring party set out for this wizard's tower, the Cold Iron Chef of the kitchen was back to work producing meals at an astounding rate. People had started to forget that there was other food than bigos, but every dark age passes.

Oh, and conveniently, the wizard's tower just so happened to be where they were gathering fruits at.

Image How did I not see this?! It's in the middle of a flat swamp!
Image Alys mentioned to me before we left that the curse also had a cloaking aspect to it. We've walked down the main street of Silveroak many times now without knowing it, and the same goes for this tower.
Image But I never sensed anything in these places. Is my talent not strong enough?
Image It would not have been, but that was an incredibly powerful curse. We searched for that place for centuries and could not find it.
Image Then why now? Why just suddenly lift like that?
Image I think it would suggest that the source of the curse has weakened dramatically. This probably won't be that challenging.
Image Well, we can hope that's the case, nonetheless.

Image Hey.
Image Hello there.
Image You Zadra?

Image Well, uh, to start, an elf lady told us to come find you.

Image Mm, that bad luck of hers really is something.
Image You knew about that too? I mean, I thought I'd be the one to change that but...
Image Hey, if you know that, you must be one of her friends... I don't remember you.
Image We never met. I was off doing druid work when this happened.
Image Ah, yes, well...
Image What I don't get is why you did it. You don't seem like that bad a guy, and my senses usually aren't wrong.
Image Senses? What senses?
Image The ones that told me to pick up you and your grim friend over there.
Image Actually, I consider myself more the solemn type, but-

Image Image Can we get back to the matter at hand?

Image Damn, the one time she tried to back out before the bad luck caught up with her...
Image What even are you mumbling to yourself about?
Image ...It's an... interesting story. I'll tell you later. This does sound very much like her though.
Image Seriously, what's with it and these people reaching out to these dark powers?
Image Perhaps one day you'll understand, though it'd be best to hope that day never comes.
Image So, why'd you curse 'er? I mean, I've heard of bad breakups, but I mean, come on. Couldn't you just get over her?
Image Well, my original intent wasn't to do that, and well...

Image Could it have hurt you to read between the lines a bit? That's some creepy sounding stuff there.
Image Didn't realize it until after I'd already done it. I was young and dumb. Orcish adolescence is a hell of a thing.

Image Well, this's been suitably depressin'. Mind tellin' me if we can just undo this, or if we'd be best off going home?
Image We've got the ribbon, if that helps any.

Image Ah, but... I'm afraid I won't last too long during the ritual. Aging really has caught up with me, but I think I have everything we'd need to get rid of the Kauk. Damn thing is still here after all.
Image I calculated that the curse has weakened dramatically of late, we should be more than fine.
Image Ah, yes... I suppose it would have. It's connected to my lifespan after all. I'm not doing so well these days.
Image Can we g'ahead and do this before it gets any more depressin' around here?
Image Me wants see sparkle magic!
Image ...No better time than the present. Let's get to it.

Image I... I can see it! Quickly, I think it's trying to go over there!

Image Here, I've still got some of these herbs you wanted earlier.
Image Perfect, it should hate these.

Image Whoa! Whoaaaah! Oggy! What the hell's in those plants? I'm seein' things here, old friend!
Image Ah hell, I'm seein' stuff too!? Why in- Horos's flamin' backside that thing's ugly!
Image Quickly, where's it going?
Image Image Towards the old man!
Image Stand back, it's ready now-!

Image It's done... she's free! I'm free! It's finally done!
Image Well, it seems it worked after all.
Image Yes, it looks that way. Hey... wait a second, are you crying?
Image N-no! It's just the curse lifting, that's all.
Image Well, I always knew you had a bit of emotion in you past that grim face.
Image Hey, uh, not to interrupt gal pal time, but uh, are those two going to be okay?

Image Aw, heck, Jim, you do have some mighty big wings! And- whoa, there, Snaps, when'd your face get so long?
Image Hey, uh... Oggs, Oggy... old friend... since when were there three o' ya...?

Image I think the dreamweed Oggy brought may have unlocked some latent divination powers. They'll be fine in a bit. So, that settles that then, I suppose.

Image Wha- whoa! My hands! My hands are on fire! Blue fire! Why is it blue?! Why is it fire?!
Image They don't react well to discovering magical talent, do they?
Image Eh, it takes time to adjust.

Image What has been done is purely in the past now. There's been enough anguish here.
Image But... what do I do?
Image That's up to you. We're done here.

Image A fine day's work of good deeds, I'd say.
Image Well, that was nice, I suppose. Why didn't you say goodbye?
Image I'm expecting we'll cross paths again sometime. Though, mostly I want to get out of here before I lost my patience.
Image What? I thought you were as calm as ever.
Image A facade. What those two did caused a severe upset in the entire elven civilization, and a lot of needless suffering. The Cosmic Tree might have not even fell if Silveroak was still standing.
Image ...Oh.
Image Indeed. Though, the both of them have suffered for the last five centuries as well. With the Darkness, however, there has been far too much of that already. The prudent thing is to just forgive and forget now.
Image A very wise approach, I must say.

--

Image Once these clowns get adjusted, where do we go from here?
Image We'll where the wind takes us, I suppose. We should keep an eye out for any good looking food.

Having resolved a curse and possibly saved a relationship, the Danse was out to gather more fruits while they were in the area. However, the unusual events would only keep stacking up on this day...

Image I'm surprised to see anyone alive wandering the lands alone. Our camp's over here, if you want to stay with us for now.

Image Oh, sure, help yourself to whatever you like. I'm not really any good with gathering, so I'm mostly just keeping a watch around the area.

From that point on we can only assume that Shei-kun tried to convince the old man to come with them, though what all they talked about is still unknown. Nobody ever wrote it down, it seems.

What we do know, however, is that the man told some folktales for the camp that they had never heard before. You may know them both as "Mother Bear" and "Lunar Cheese".

No? I suppose then those are tales for another time then.

If you're beginning to wonder why I talk so little of combat anymore, it's not because there was any lack of them. On the contrary, the Dance Macabre got into fights with creatures spawned from the Darkness all the time, but they'd outclassed most enemies by this point.

Shei-kun was a veritable wall of silver by this point, and for the others...

Well, let's just say that having Great Evil King as a teacher meant the enemies almost never landed a blow.

Image Oi, look what the rats brought us. Let's see here- hrk! Damn! That bloody thing weighs a ton!
Image ...Hmph. Terrible construction.
Image Look at those gaps in the chestplate- tch, no better than well made leather.
Image Sounds like we oughta scrap it then. Might get some useful steel out of this.

As the caravan made their way further northeast, having eventually decided to gather more silver while they were out, the going ons at home weren't entirely of note.

The same child that had been saved from the slavers had grown up- rather quickly in fact. Though nobody had given it to him, (they were all too busy with gathering, cooking, and crafting,) he had claimed the name the name of Zengetsu all his own, and nobody was about to argue with him over it.

As it seemed, during all the times the village could not find the young man, he was in fact fighting off wandering creatures that had approached the village. He claimed he'd learned everything by simply watching Shei-kun and Fat Samurai spar on the times they'd come back to the village.

He swore himself to keep Goatmurdered safe, and as the most combat proficient person still around, nobody was going to argue.

Meanwhile, the Dance Macabre was to find themselves in the path of even more strange events today.

Image (Rgh, more of these self-proclaimed royalty types?)
Image (T'would seem so.)

Image (Gods, everyone's older than us these days.)
Image (And, what of this proclaimed princess? Who is she, even?)

Image (...Ah, yes, this one. I've heard of her.)
Image (By Horos, she sounds so terribly spoiled. Though, isn't that common for royals?)
Image (In my experience, yes.)

Image (That's... that's a rather terrifying tale. But what now?)

Image (Ah, Horos's backside, she's gonna drag us into this mess now.)
Image (Just play along for now.)
Image Ah, yes, your majesty, what is it you need?

Image ...That fell apart quickly.
Image Hey, hold on a second, wealth and power sounds pretty nice-
Image Listen, princess, what proof do we even have of any of this?

Image Hey, this doesn't sound like that bad a deal, y'know?
Image It sounds like a trap if I've ever heard one.
Image I never said it wasn't one. Just think of the treasure!
Image *Sighs deeply*

Image We've got other things to do. Judging by this map, it's a far ways off, and there's still silver to mine.

Faced with even more potential objectives, the Dance continued their way to the silver in the northeast. They weren't considering any more plans of action until they made it back home.

Meanwhile, our heroes grew ever more experienced. They figured that soon enough, the Darkness wouldn't be able to throw anything at them that they couldn't beat.

#Image Looks like I'm finally catching up to you, eh, Sammy?
#Image ...That's what you think.

All the while, back in town, Slaan had come across an unusual discovery out in the cabbage patches.

Someone who she claimed was a "captive of those vile leaves", it seems she found a short old man buried up to his head out in the cabbage patch. He wasn't much for words, muttering complaints about "kids these days" and "what's wrong with the world these days", but his medical skills seemed to be exceptional.

No title had been given to him, yet, but his skills would prove to give him one in time.

Yet, the journey to the northeast remained filled with unusual happenings.

Image So this's a Dwarven gravesite?
Image Looks like the ones I've seen before.
Image They must really not be that tall.
Image I'd say they're about as tall as you.
Image Hey! That's uncalled for!

Image Well, that's another grave dug. At this rate, you'd think we were followers of Veles.
Image 'Ey, anyone wanna tell me why furball over here is sparkling all 'o a sudden?
Image Me see shiny magicks. Me like shiny magicks!

Image Is it really that unusual at this point?
Image I... I guess not, really. Huh.

Having finally reached the silver in the north again, the caravan went back to mining.

Turn 147

They'd been doing it for quite some time when they came across something quite notable.

Image (Oggy, King, go in quietly. I won't let this end up like last time.)

Image Hah, didn't even know what hit 'em!

Image My wings grow stronger yet! Ca- caaaw!
Image Hey there, little one. We'd best get you back somewhere safe. This place is probably a bit cold for you.
Image Get everything packed up, everyone. Let's head back to the town.
Image Fine by me, I think we've got enough of this stuff anyhow.

As they moved out, Fate's winding threads would have them cross with something highly unexpected.

Image Ah, another elf!

Image Hold on, he's cursed!
Image Truly? Then your skills have become quite adept. Even I didn't see it.

Image It's...very deep inside of him. I think it's connected to the Darkness.
Image ... I just did a few tests and the reaction wasn't strong, so I think we can take this one rather easily.

Image We don't take people into servitude, that's nonsense. C'mon, you can just come with us as a friend. That is, if you want.

The gear the elf still carried was of high quality, though nothing was more surprising than the elf himself. Once the darkness cleared from him, he would prove to be more than a match for Fat Samurai in strength, as stealthy as Oggy, the fastest talker of them all, and perhaps the hardiest person they'd ever met.

He was reluctant to mention any of his past, but Great Evil King asserted that this man must have been part of the High Elven Royal Guard. The curse he had upon him would have killed a normal man in a heartbeat, yet he seemed to have resisted it all this time.

On that day, a great ally was met.

On that day, an even greater threat would awaken.

----

Voting time again!

First up, ZiegeDame is the last name in the pool, though I wanted to be sure if they specifically wanted to be a monster type or if anything is fine.

The name for our new Elven Hero is open, though I'm going to leave that up to you folks here at the LP Beach first, to celebrate it's creation.

Otherwise, we've got some serious voting to do now. Research-wise, we're still working towards Ancient Wood, and while we've got a lot of metals, we have a far more important vote to do.

What do we do now?
1. Go finish the God's Quest, now that we're more than strong enough.
2. We head to the Cosmic Tree. We should work on resolving that questline immediately.
3. Build up more weapons and such, and await the new threat.

We've officially spent enough time to enter the DLC territory, which is in a league far more difficult than what we've dealt with up to this point, and it's going to make the overworld incredibly dangerous from here on out. If you still want to vote for us to do nothing about our quests, we can, but it's really not recommended.

Oh, and we've also got a ton of food on the Dance Macabre. They're officially ready to kick ass, so let's get to it.

Let's go finish the God Quest and then make a beeline for the Cosmic Tree.

Update 12: Monster Dance (Turn 152 - 163)

Ah, time for the tales of Goatmurdered again, I see. We'll get right to it this time, as I'm sure everyone is eager to hear the coming happenings.

-----------------
Turn: 152
-----------------

Everything safe at home, the Dance Macabre began to set off, with a destination set for the known location of the Leech Lord.

Just about as they left, the short man from the fields eventually grumbled coherently enough that his name was Rosemont.

Image *incoherent grumbling*- Kids these days- *incoherent grumbling*

And that was about all they heard before he shuffled off into a makeshift hut on the edge of town.

As they passed the ruins of Silveroak, the elven wanderer also finally spoke up regarding his name.

Image Er, yes... You can call me Beecher, if you wish. That's similar enough to your titles, yes?
Image Fine with me, mate.
Image Name good, me like.
Image Indeed, it'll suffice.

---

Image If it's not much of an impostion, am I correct in assuming that your Elven name doesn't actually translate to "The Great Evil King"?
Image It is not even close, but can you blame me for wanting to mess with them?
Image I can say that is "fair enough", given the Tree and all that has happened to it.
Image ... And, what can I say? I believe I have grown rather attached to it.
Image If you don't mind another imposition, may I ask for your name in Elvish?
Image Unless the Elven civilization recovers, I cannot say that knowing it will be of much use. Besides, who's to say I even have one?
Image: B-but... you are-
Image Farewell for now, Beecher. We'll talk again, I'm sure.

Image: (Just who is she? I know I have seen that face before, but...)

-----------------
Turn: 153
-----------------

Being full up on a wide variety of food, the traveling was easy. So easy in fact, that hardly anything was written between the town and there.

Image Ready to fight this Leech Lord?
Image Whenever you are. I'll pick out what weaknesses I can.

Image (Not what I expected.)
Image (It may be a test of some kind, let us play along.)

Image We've come to restore the power of our Gods.

Image (The Oracle... I see. I've heard of her existence before.)
Image (You mean, like a fortune-teller?)
Image (In a sense, yes, but her powers are true.)

Image Horos has given us a path, and that is what we have followed.

Image Ah, those blasted old fogeys again? I'm really startin' to regret not givin' them a wallop they wouldn't forget.
Image Oracle's Guardian, what exactly did they do this time?

Image (Sounds about right for Perun, yeah.)
Image Damn that academy and whatever it stood for.

Image Fine with me- back to the topic at hand then. Why did Horos bring us here?

Image (Yep, it's a test.)
Image A test? Jus' what kind of test are we talkin' here?

Image Sounds right terrifying if you ask me.
Image We have no choice though. If we have to prove ourselves to Horos, then we'll do it.
Image Ready everyone? If we're going to be fighting avatars, then this is going to get dangerous fast.
Image If I may- she is right. There is no space for hesitation or panic if we move forward.
Image You say that as if you've done this before.
Image Not this necessarily, but I have been tasked with dragonslaying before. The danger is the same, if not most likely greater.
Image You heard the man. I don't want to lose anyone in there, so are we ready?

Image ...Ready as ever.
Image No choice, I suppose.
Image Fine by me.
Image Ah hell, I guess I ain't got a choice.
Image No time like the present.
Image We fight! Eee!
Image To the skies and beyond, CAW!
Image Image: By your lead.

-------

Image Hmhmhm...It's about time. Though I must wonder, what could a pack of whelps like you do that I cannot?
Image We are not whelps, for only the strong survive in times of strife. Where others have failed, we have pulled through.
Image ... Well spoken, but what does a wolf need of words? The strength of a howl is only so much.
Image ...
Image ...What is it, whelpling?
Image I was just making sure I remember this moment. It's not every night you duel with a god.

Image *Deafening howl* ...Just what I wanted to hear.

Image The wings... the magnificence!
Image: Many more incoming- stay close!

Image I'll hold them off from here!
Image 'Ey, I've got your back, Anon, been wanting to try this bow out anyhow!
Image On it!

Image Damn, they're just swarming harder!
Image: Stay vigilant!

Image Hrgh...!

Image 'Ey, Sammy, watch it- RGH!

Image They- ngh - won't stop coming!

Image AAAGH!
Image Pharry, no!

Image Is this all the fight you can put up? My guardians alone have torn you to bits.
Image It's not over yet, wolf spirit!
Image I'll call your- HRRRGK

Image Forgotten about me, have you?
Image Rgh... hmhm... I see. I suppose I did.
Image You elves always have been a tricky lot...

Image (Especially you...)
Image ...

Image ...W-we won...?
Image Somehow.

Image ... Given that you have a fang planted firmly in my back, I'd say you've passed! I offer you my magic, though given the ferocity of your assault, I doubt you'll need it.

Image ...and you there, Pack Leader.
Image You mean me?
Image Who else? I applaud your valiant efforts in defending your pack thus far, but know your limits.
Image Huh? W-wait, Pharnakes! Can you hear me!

Image Ah, goodness, it was so dark for a second there... What happened?
Image ...Hmph.
Image What!? But, you...?
Image ...I still have some power left. You proved yourselves handily, now lick what wounds you do have before going and destroying the leech lord.
Image Ah... yes, but where is it?

Image Not far from your den. Now go.

Having been blessed with the presence of their god, the Dance Macabre moved swiftly through the night, faster than the shadows themselves.

The Leech Lord was fast approaching their town, a town mostly full of magic wielders and crafters who did their best work outside of a fight. If this beast was strong enough to warrant a test from Horos himself, then they would stand no chance.

----------------
Turn 126
----------------

The Macabre moved with extreme swiftness through the forests and hills, the urgency of the situation putting a jump in their step.

Image Damn, this won't be easy. Not even sunlight would help us here.
Image What does that mean for our tactics?
Image This fiend will be at full power, unlike Simon. We'll have to plan this carefully and prepare for the worst.
Image Aye, this isn't going to be an easy one.

Image What horrifying taste in fashion. And, just, ugh, that smell!
Image I think we've got a bit more to worry about than it's fashion taste, lass.
Image Shei, it may be best to use that spell now. This may be the last time we find them pre-occupied before they're upon the village.
Image Got it.

Image (So this is how the night's supposed to feel.)
Image: (...A far cry from the Darkness that was upon me.)
Image (Free from the false darkness, yes. Now, everyone, ready yourselves.)
Image (...and watch for the teeth.)
Image (I won't stand for losing anybody in there. Image, are you with me?)
Image: (At the ready.)
Image (We go, now!)

Image (...Easy.)
Image: (These are gone, you and I, let's defend the back, shall we?)

Image (Begone...!)

Image Caw, caw! (My wings are silent in the night!)

Image Hrngh?!
Image And...now!
Image scrREEEeeeeeEEEEEEEE...!

Image Sure is a lot easier now, I'd say.
Image The stake through its heart, we only require the final blow.
Image Hkkk...hkkkk...!
Image ...If I may.
Image Go ahead.
Image Hyaaaaaagh!
Image HISSSSSssssssss....

Image (Hmhmhm... A job well done, it seems. And fret not, nature child, I used my power to bring this axe here. I had imagined you might want it.)

Image: This was mine! But... I gave it to... why...?!
Image (You'll be needing it in the coming days. I don't think she will anymore.)
Image: (...Right.)

Image (It will take many more moons for me to recover, but I suspect you'll survive during my slumber. Take these blessings and make the best of them, children of the night.)

Image Whoa... wicked.
Image Hm...I see. So this is what it feels like... Interesting.

Image WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!

Image I swear, she's bloody lost it.
Image ...Ooh, does she have fur now? Like, when do I get to learn this hex?
Image This wasn't even me, I swear. Hexing her got boring a long time ago.
Image Then it was something else... kehehehe... how fascinating...

Image (And one last gift, before I retire to my den... that is, if you'll accept it.)

Image S-S-S-Simon?! But I put you down!
Image Oooh, now you've got it comin' jackass, I still got that scar from last time!
Image Blades at the ready!

Image Egads, this is the kind of reception I get for my grand return? What folly! Oggy, my brother, you wound me yet again!

Image Simon...?
Image Yes, I have returned! You know, immortality really isn't all I figured it would be- this body's really grody now. I'm almost glad you betrayed me at this point. I'd hate to see your ugly mug all withered up like this too. Gods, I think I'd retch up what's left of my insides at that!
Image Like, ew, can somebody shut him up already?
Image You... damned ass, you haven't changed too much, have you?
Image Hey, don't ignore me! Look at this scar!
Image Oh gods, I did that? Man, do you know what a tattoo place would charge for something as cool as that?
Image That's not the point!
Image Hold your horses, you put a giant stake through my chest, now, c'mon.
Image Actually, that was me.
Image Oh, Oggy, you wound me yet again, and quite literally this time. Eh, it healed fine enough, I think.

Image Oggy.
Image Ah, yes... apologies.
Image Horos brought him to us, so I'm willing to trust him, but don't let your past cloud your judgement here.
Image Aw, bosslady, be a bit more fair with me, would ya?
Image You nearly killed Samovar, you'll have to excuse my reservations.
Image Tch... fair enough.

Their new questionable ally in tow, the Dance gathered their spoils and made their way back to the town for a resupply.

Reunited with his axe, Beecher was now perhaps one of the most combat proficient members on the team.

Ziege Dame, as Simon had taken to calling himself after a monologue about becoming a new person, was also a particularly dangerous fighter, though his skills were well rounded to handle any situation well.

Meanwhile, the last of Horos's blessing manifested in newfound power across the people of Goatmurdered. These newfound strengths would serve them well in the coming days.

With their newly bolstered team in tow, the Dance Macabre reasoned that pursuing the Cosmic Tree would be in their best interests. T'would be yet another journey to the southeast, though a great deal lengthier this time.

Yet, nothing can ever be that simple in Thea.

Image Damn it all, is Perun throwing a fit again?
Image No, look, Vily!

Image Tch, let's not waste time mincing words with them and just banish them.

Image Watch your back!
Image Oi, thanks mate!
Image You know, I could have sworn demons were harder to banish than this.

Image: Ah, more Tears of the Moon. This shall serve us well as weaponry.
Image Whoa! H-hey! My hands are doing that glowing thing again!
Image You'll learn to control it eventually.

------------------
Turn 157 - 163
------------------

As the Dance weaved their way into uncharted territory, complications would strike elsewhere.

Image Okay, the hair's all gone, and I'll figure out something to do about the teeth, maybe get some goggles for the eyes-

Image -HRK! Oh, gods why does this always happen to me?
Image Delilah, I told you not to touch the well!
Image ...I haven't even been near it...
Image We can always dig another well later...but we'll have to act soon... kehehe...
Image *Unintelligible grumbling* Jus' m' luck, had t' get in with a buncha loons *more grumbling*

Image Oi, Rosemont, *coughing*, know of any herbs to *coughing* fix this...?
Image O' course, what'd'ya take m'for *incoherent grumbling*

Image I have... the worst... luck...
Image Fear not, I go with you. We shall find the herbs.

The people of Goatmurdered prepared to go and find the required herbs, leaving only Arzaac and Slaan behind.

Image The roots are revolting! They've got siege rutabagas! The carrots are burrowing for an underground assault!
Image Y'know, all things considered, I think I'd rather stay here than go with that group 'o crazies.
Image No! The lettuce snuck from behind! We're under assault!
Image ...Would still rather be here.

Oblivious to the predicament at home, the Dance Macabre moved forwards into the unknown, reaching a predicament of their own.

Image Oh, mama, look at this!
Image Whoa, Jim, look that lass has herself a raven as well!
Image Pretty ladies on a cold night? What god of fortune have we earned the favor of?

Image Ugh. Might as well just break this hex before these fools drool any longer.
Image I shall assist, if it is no matter.
Image Not affecting you then?
Image Not the first time I've seen it. They're pulling old tricks again, it seems.

Image: Forget about me, fair maidens?
Image Yaaagh?! SIMON?!

Image Tut tut, you should really know better than to try it with me around.
Image Simon, you damned traitor! You ass!
Image Oh, dear, Elia, you really should work on that language.
Image Fuck off! :argh:

Image Friend of yours?
Image Just an old flame from before you stuffed me in that coffin.
Image Like, ew. Can we just cut this to a close and stake 'em already?

Image Why are we all glowing AGAIN?
Image Oh, right, I just needed somewhere to put all the excess magic I just ripped from them. I suppose I just gave you all magic powers.

Image YOU IMBECILEEEEESSSS! SHUT. UP!

Image Wow, you all really quite have this handled, don't you?
Image REEEEEEEEEEE
Image *Sigh*

Image Well, well, I suppose that's that.
Image Can we just get a move on now?
Image Fine by me.

As the dawn of the new day started, the people of Goatmurdered became more experienced in the world. Their skills were becoming widespread, and they would need every one of them for the coming trials ahead.

As the Dance moved ever so closer to the destination they had marked on their map long ago, the afflicted refugees of Goatmurdered weren't too far behind.

Buried in the southeastern snow, the expedition team found what they were looking for, but it was not what they had expected.

Image Ugh, more old guys and towers?

Image (By the Earth Mother, it's another one of these.)
Image (I think I know where this is going.)
Image Listen, we got here because it was marked on a map. We thought it had something to do with the Cosmic Tree.

Image (Is it worth mentioning he was dead by the time we found him?)
Image (Probably not.)
Image ...Er, no. We haven't.

Image Image: *Simultaneous facepalm*

Image Oh dear... this again...

Image Image Image Uggggggggggg
Image Image: Image ggggggggggg
Image Image ghhhhhhhhhh

Image Hey, uh, you two, what's goin' on?
Image Beats me, caw!
Image Me know nothing!

Image Alright, you old fuck, we've had this damn conversation before with your old colleagues. Get to talkin' something new now, or we're just going to leave.

Image You realize there's two elves here, right?
Image Besides, I'd say the magical power we all hold is more than proof enough against your statement. We're children of Horos, and even through all this he hasn't given up on us. Your calculations are flawed, old man.

Image: Such... ignorance. This is what caused the downfall of the world?
Image Perhaps, though I have wondered if this was nothing more than the last straw in a chain of mistakes.
Image: ...I see.
Image I do not think we are completely blameless here, but...

Having gained no more knowledge than that there was some grove they hadn't discovered, the Dance merely shook their heads and turned back in the direction they came from. Along the way, they came across some unexpected treasure and a rather unexpected happening.

Image 'Ey, you two! We got loot over here!

Image Mm. Something's approaching.
Image ...Tch. This'll be easy.

Image I guess you called it right.
Image Oi, brother! What're you doin' here?
Image Vodka?!

A legendary coincidence, the Dance Macabre had met with the afflicted refugees just as soon as they had reached their own destination.

Image Seriously, what's going on?
Image *Coughing loudly*
Image Hkkkkk
Image ...By gods... you don't know how good it... is to... see you...
Image Er, the well might've gotten poisoned.

Image What?! What the hell did you do to the well?
Image Back off, you crusty old dog, my group didn't do a thing.
Image Kehehehe...
Image Like...I didn't do a thing...

Image The poisoning was sudden. I left to defend this group.
Image Can you *coughing* get the rest of the Dance, brother? We *coughing* tracked down some herbs to fix the poison...
Image Right, stay here and don't die before I'm back!

Image I suppose it's a good thing we've kept it so safe of late.
Image You're looking quite rough there, girl. Running a fever and pretty chilly overall...
Image After this... you've got to take me... with you... it's a nightmare...
Image Ooh, look at those pretty little teeth you've got now!

Image Wait, wait! No... don't pick that one. It's got parasites.

Image ...Uh, yeah, looks like it.
Image Just... avoid that side. I'd rather not have any more... problems...urgh

Image Guys... I still don't feel so good...
Image *Incoherent grumbling* Nearly got me killed you- *grumbling*
Image Argh, it looks like we're going to need something stronger for her.

Image Oi, you gonna be okay, herb man?
Image *grumble* Had worse *grumble*

Image Hoy! Here you all are!
Image How interesting to find most of our town on the move.

Image Whoa, Idiot, why's her eyes glowin' like- Holy Horos's backside, yer's are doin' it too!
Image We, uh, kilt a vampire thingy and this kinda happened.
Image You, elf lady, what the hell is happening to me?!
Image You're merely assuming the form of a partial night creature- I'd imagine this wouldn't be rare occurence for children of Horos, but I suppose it has been some time.

Image Hold on, why are all of your hands glowing? Ah, hell, that's residual mana, just how many of you developed magic talent when I wasn't looking?

Image: I believe all of them, actually.

Image BY THE TOTEM, WHY IS A STRIGA HERE
Image Oh, hey, Simon, long time no see.
Image: Hey, kid, seems you're still kicking.
Image Yeah, I uh- WAIT, SIMON?!

Their meeting meant they would need to catch up on a lot of happenings on the trip back. After all, the Dance never spent too long back in town, often only for an hour or so to pick up more supplies. They had no intention of resting until Thea was safe for the town.

In time, they would return to the town with a wealth of materials, as well as newfound knowledge on how to claim the forest of Ancient Wood nearby. In the coming days, they would need to bring Delilah to the swamp herbalist to cure her poison as they searched for more clues regarding the Cosmic Tree and this mysterious grove they sought. They might as well investigate that tower that "princess" directed them to in the meantime as well.

But as the Dance continues on, what should they invest their coming research and materials in?
A.More Weapon and Armor Types:

B. New Buildings and Improvements to the Old Buildings:

C. or Continue Researching Materials?:

Update 13: A Cosmic Quest

Ah, back for more are you? Well, I'm afraid to say that we're approaching the end of this tale. There's no need to fret, though, there's still some more to tell.

The first thing for business on this day was to get Delilah cured of the poison leftover from the well incident. As to why the herbs didn't work on her in the first place, people can only theorize.

Image Just the poison, thank you.

Image You want us to play chess for you? That's all?

Image Yeah, pretty much... dude...

Image Thanks... guys...

Image I had no idea you played this game in the Westerlands.

Image I'm surprised to find that anyone plays it anymore.

Image What are you two doing playing a separate game over here?

Image Simon's got that handled. Think we could play a game sometime?

Image That would be quite nice, yes.

Image Is everyone here fried? Who falls for Fool's Mate anymore?

Image ...It won't do anything for the poison in your hands though. That's a blood problem.

Image Eh, I think... it'll be fine...

Image Think we should go deal with that princess lady while we're up this way?

Image I suppose it can't hurt.

Image Oh, hey, bear tracks.

Image *Cracks knuckles*

The journey to the Tower of the Ice Princess was mostly uneventful. There was a note about "bears again", though what that means, we can only speculate.

Image Hm... when did this get here?

Image There's a lot of latent magic here, I can sense it.

Image It feels sorcerous, unnatural.

Image As riveting as you thought it'd be, Sam?

Image Stuff it, old friend.

Image How... do... *wheeze* you put... up...with this...?

Image You get used to it after a while, honestly.

Image You know it doesn't seem like you can offer us anything in your present state.

Image Caw! Now this fellow knows some style!

Image Right, princess, how do we even know you're not leading us into the same trap?

Image How rude!

Image C'mon, cut to the chase already.

Image Don't worry, we don't have any intentions of letting her go.

Image Excuuuuuse us, Princess. We'll just be going now.

Image Ah, see! Look, we got treasure for all our hard work!

Image One, we didn't do anything, and two, I could see you about to pass out holding your breath there.

Image I- I don't know what you're talking about! You must be seein' things.

Image ...That being said, I appreciate you not dragging us into something in the search of treasure.

Image You're going senile on me, old friend, I just wasn't feeling it after that long climb. 'Sides, she was full of it, I could tell. Wasn't going to be any fun anyways.

Having left the cold princess to her fate, the rewards left by the black swan proved to improve their hoard of materials. The books written on the Icy Mountain are still in our libraries, in fact.

In time, the Dance Macabre made its way back to the town to deposit both their loot and the healed Delilah. This having been done, they set their sights on the other location they knew of that was related to the Cosmic Tree, a grove to the far south.

Of course, the Macabre had become quite swift at traveling Thea and the journey to the grove took them very little time.

Image Hm, a treant?

Image A whatzit?

Image You may know it better as a Leshy.

Image Ah, I see. 'Ey, Leshy, you got any answers to this darkness thing?

Image It seems to have been asleep for quite a while... Let's see... I am an Elf, and this event was nearly a century ago.

Image Whoa there, barkface, we haven't done anything!

Image Though rather uncourteously, he speaks the truth. It is likely your grove was lost when the others were. We were surprised to see that any of you were still alive.

Image Your brother stole your flock?

Image How terrible!

Image (...Now I think I'm getting a different view...)

Image (Indeed.)

Image (...It seems as if it has been driven to madness by the Dark- it may be best to just agree for now, and see what it's brother has to say.)

Image We can do this, but how do we know you have what we seek?

Image (I get the idea that this thing's been playing us the whole time.)

Image (Indeed. Do we strike it down?)

Image (No, let us get the whole story from it's brother first.)

The expedition team made short progress leaving the corrupted grove behind.

Their experiences made them stronger as always- their adaptation was what kept them alive in this trying world.

To be fooled by such a simple ruse...

It would seem the Brother Leshy's grove was not far from the home either. After some musing as to how they never noticed some of these things near their home, they approached the talking grove.

Image Oi, is there any talkin' trees around here?

Image Your guess is accurate. Your brother holds someone prisoner who would be a key to restoring the Cosmic Tree.

Image Are you sure he would fall for such a simple plan? 'Twould seem your brother is quite a crafty one.

Image Fear not, we have no intention of harming you. We can hope this is enough to fool him without any bloodshed.

Image Should it fail to work, we can handle the fight regardless.

Bidding a farewell to the uncorrupted Leshy, they headed back to the southern grove. Meanwhile, they devised a set of lies and half-truths that would hopefully suffice.

Night fell upon them, but they felt Horos's presence far above them. He was regaining strength, but it would not be complete until the Tree was restored.

Image It looked rather normal by ancient wood standards, and I've seen some ancient forests!

Image I thought it was just an ordinary forest, personally, no cawse for excitement there! Caw-haw!

Image I've seen even more ancient forests than this man, and I'd agree, it wasn't very special. By all means, it looked so ordinary, these people never realized it was there and it wasn't even far away from a usual fishing spot.

Image (Anyone want to remind me why there's so many wolves? Why are we talking down wolves?)

Image Hold! If I may, Keeper of an ancient grove, know that I, a Child of Thea, have seen a Leshy wither away in one of the Demon Wars where a similar shadow plagued us. It is a deeply saddening sight, and only more saddening is that the remains lose all their lustre, all their magic. The majesty... is only a far flung memory...

Image *Grimaces, clutches fist, and looks wistfully to the horizon*

Image (The Demon Wars? I haven't heard of those.)

Image (A fabrication of sorts. I "sold it" quite well did I not?)

Image (Had me fooled!)

Image Hey, you, are you still alive?

Image Indeed... she was long gone by the time we found her.

Image You seem to know more of what happened than we do. Could you enlighten us?

Image Do you know precisely what destroyed the Tree?

Image Yes... this sounds unfortunately familiar to me.

Image Indeed, it does. Those are most definitely some sour memories.

Image However, I must interject. We've met more than a few human spirits who claimed to have done this intentionally, not just because of random aggression.

Image As far as we can gather, they wanted to destroy magic and replace it with science alone.

Image Hold yer horses there! By Horos, everybody's jumpin' the frog today! We ain't got any intentions on destroying magic!

Image If I may, I can vouch for them on this. They act to restore the state of the world as it was.

Image To change the topic, do you know what happened to the gods? How did this happen while they had power?

Image Perhaps it was these laws that bound them. Those people at the academy spoke of much manipulation- I wouldn't put it past them.

Image The Westernlanders having something to do with it wouldn't surprise me either.

Image Hold on a second there, the Cosmic Tree is only one of these Pillars, right? What about the others? Do we gotta fix all of them too?

Image We Elves don't know everything after all, but yes, the Cosmic Tree being the center pillar would make sense. If Thea itself gets its power back, it should eventually fix those.

Image Sounds like a plan, but where is this seed even at? I got a feelin' it's not out in the open.

Image Divination? Some of our members have that at hand.

Image Yes, and we would need something to focus from. It's a solid plan. That being said, will you come with us?

Their goal was in the west, and they set their bearing by the moon. The resolution to their quest wasn't that far away now.

Could they entirely fix the mistakes of the past? Could they restore life to Thea's ravaged lands and expel the Darkness plaguing it?

Well, you'll just have to see. Until next time.

Next Time: The Quest For the Cosmic Seed

-----

Twybil's Notes:

There's no voting this week because I'm resolved to go ahead and put this LP to a finished state. It's gone on long enough, and I'm going to be quite busy with other things soon enough and need to open up some room for myself in my schedule.

All this being said, the next updates will be coming swiftly, and we'll still have one final vote to make.

Update 14: The Serpent of Chaos (Turn 175 - 185)

Ah, I see you've come. Ready for the finale of our tale?

The Dance Macabre set off to the northwest, passing by the ruins of Dziody on the way, while the elven guardian headed straight west in search of a location suitable to such a strong divination.

The moon continued its path in the night sky, while Horos's children approached their destination. Though, distractions were still present on their journey.

Image Me see tree! Me see Jim tree!

Image Hm, another one of these crow trees? Almost a nostalgic sight, ain't it?

Image Indeed, I remember it just like yesterday! But a fledgling, shedding its down...and hoping not to fall down! Caw-haw!

Image Think there might be anything of use up there?

Image Eh, might as well check.

Image Fah, looks like nothin' useful.

Image Cawse! Cawse for alarm! This is an adult flock's nest! Beat your wings to a retreat!

Image Oh man, oh man, they're a comin' in hot!

Image Those majestic wings! Those sleek feathers! It's a Kingraven!

Image I got a feelin' this won't be easy!

The fight was rather swift, despite the assumptions. After all our expedition was trained for fighting demons and undead, and crows weren't much of a match, no matter how large.

Yet, it was an unsettling encounter for some involved.

Image Lookin' a bit low in the wing there, Can't imagine that was somethin' you wanted to do.

Image I... I'm more in shock of the look in it's eyes. Kingravens were meant to be messengers and agents of the gods- 'twas a position I aspired to...

Image I see the Darkness runs deep then... Well, wings up there, featherball, we're gonna fix this. You'll get yer chance to be one!

Image Yes, yes, we find Seed! Dark bad, Dark gone!

Image Haw... 'Tis true, we have a mission! The grieving can wait!

Indeed, more dangerous things awaited them as they traveled into a den of danger.

Image (Horos's backside! Dragons are still around?)

Image (They're ancient creatures. They didn't make it this long without knowing how to hide when necessary.)

Image (Fascinating. I always wondered if they were still around, though I've never met one myself.)

Image (The question is, what do we do? I have faith in our combat skills, but a dragon?)

Image (If you're careful with them, you can usually talk down most dragons. Just play the polite fool, and I think we can handle this.)

Image (Sounds fine to me!)

Image Oh, like, wow! I'd just love to!

Image So, how's things going on down here? Pretty regal place ya got, if you don't mind me sayin'!

Image *nudges Samovar*

Image *Rolls eyes*

Image Oi, what a downright rude way to treat somebody!

Image It must be, like, so terribly dull never getting to stretch your wings!

Image I can only begin to imagine! I say, if we retrieved those shards, d'ya think that might lift that curse? Anything to help out such a majestic being!

Image Dear me, what spell could possibly hold against the mighty will of a dragon? It's your right to soar the skies, isn't it?

Despite how convincing the Dance Macabre may have been, 'twould seem a different force bound the scaled firebeast to it's duty. The mage that had given this task truly had picked a formidable and loyal guard.

And the dragon itself put up a strong argument on it's own- centuries of life can make a crafty tongue sharper that most could imagine.

Yet, the dragon soon found itself convinced by the expedition, though perhaps there was an unknown factor at play in their success...

Image Surely, your scaled majesty, t'would be rude of us to infringe upon your mighty hoard. If you insist, I say perhaps those tree shards are more than sufficient. Recounting this story of being granted them would be exquisite!

Image Oh, wow, oh wow, thank you, your scaly majestiness! And-

Image Wha-? I don't remember the flames being so blue! Whoaaa!

Image I do say, it's a rather entrancing taste it has to it.

Image Ahaha! You fleshlings are ever so droll! Well, off with you for now, I suppose! Tua ghen da ra si!

Image Farewell!

-----

Image I see you understood that after all. That sparkle in your eye is what I though it was- how peculiar!

Image I appreciate your discretion... and your clemency in this.

Image We all have our methods and secrets, it would be quite rude of me to out another. As for the latter, I sensed your auras- there was no need for apprehension.

Image ...Though, I shall request a favor from you in turn.

Image If it be in my power to fufill it.

Image Hmhmhm, very few things would not qualify under that... yet all I ask is simple: might you return here when your quest is over? I do imagine we could have some fascinating conversations, and it is so hard to find those who understand anymore.

Image I can do that, yes.

Image Excellent! Well, until then!

-----

Image Say, d'ya know what that bit at the end was?

Image That? I imagine it was some farewell in draconic. We never really had the means to study it, so I cannot say for sure.

Image Ah... Hm, y'know, maybe I could learn it and write it down? That'd be a nice life goal. That dragon, he seemed quite the amiable chap.

Image Ever the fascination with beasts. Although, isn't it a bit soon to be thinking about what comes next?

Image Hah, I've got faith we'll fix this, easy. I don't see no danger in dreamin' now.

Image Dream nice! Scales nice!

Image Well, I have faith in our mission as well, though I must say I'm surprised you properly identified that as a male dragon.

Image Took a guess based on the similarities to a bog lizard, though I'll be sure not to mention that to 'im!

Image ...Wings... so... glorious!

The shards collected, the expedition was starting on their way back when they spied something rather odd.

Figures, watching them from the further west... but what for?

The team decided to go and see what this was. They didn't want to risk an ambush with the comsic shards in hands.

Image Hey there. Is there any particular reason you were spying on us?

Image I had no idea we'd become so famous. How'd you hear of that?

Image Hm, I suppose he seems the type to throw a fit, but that's awfully far away. And still, what's your interest in the seed?

Image Seems to be the story, yeah. It wasn't our ancestors though.
Image Aye, we've had no friendly dealings with those academy folk.

Image Hold on, what?!

Image ...Come again?

Image Did I hear that right?

Image Excuse me?

Image You're talking to servants of Horos and we have no damn intentions of burning the Tree. We have no aggression towards creatures of darkness, just the Darkness.

Image (Ugh, we really should've had a better name for it.)

Image A balance? I mean, perhaps we've found a way of survival, though I can't say much for the rampaging undead, constant storms, and general deadliness.

Image It's really not been fun, mate.

Image Hm, this was not what I had expected, but it does clarify some things. I suppose in that case we do really owe you thanks for saving it.

Image It was just an act of survival, really. I can't imagine you'd have done different in our place, though I imagine you would've "fixed" this right up so you could put us in hiding again.

Image If you have the seed, why worry about us? There's only a dozen of us here, we'd stand no chance against you.

Image So you've already lost it then... hm.

Image I don't like where this conversation is going.

Image You want us to hide the Cosmic Seed, and not stop all this needless suffering?

Image As I said, we're still surviving and we're not under the tyranny of the elves or the Western lords.

Image We are people of the shadows, so the night isn't hard for us to survive, but I question the chances for anyone else. We've met very few people in our time, and few hostile creatures.

Image I must add, you're severely judging the few of us elves that are left. Given what some of us have done misguidedly in the past, it is understandable, but you must understand that Elves of the past are long gone.

Image As are the damned Western lords.

Image The Elves of the past were dreadfully afraid of what the others would do with the secrets of magic, but those of us that are left have realized what a mistake it was to hide that from the other civilizations. In fact, nearly everyone of this team knows a sort of magic by this point.

Image Tch.

Image ...Regardless, we're not the ones making this decision. Shei-kun?

Image I... have no answer presently. You're asking quite a lot here.

Image Hmph.

Image There's too much to consider. But rest assured, we'll consider your words when the Seed is in our hands. Horos himself has been brought back, and he'll watch over you as he does for us.

Image Perhaps. Farewell.

A difficult choice had been presented to the people of Goatmurdered. Either choice that had been put before them had too many factors that would be out of their control. Regardless of what they did with the Seed, lives would potentially be at risk.

Yet, they were going to have to discuss it at another time. On their way back to the Elven Guardian, they spotted an undead horde going full pace towards the town. A horde far more dangerous than the villagers could handle on their own.

Image Damn, that's a lot of undead!

Image Don't just, like, stand there, we gotta get rid of 'em before they get to the town!

Image Ready the chimes, our magic should be strong enough to eradicate all of them.

Image Is it?

Image Indeed, you've all become far more potent at it than you may realize.

It was true. The Dance Macabre had become not only become powerful physically, but had also become quite expert in the ways of magic. Some had even reached the point of being powerful even without a focus for their magic.

Image Oi, there they go! Lookin' like we done cremated those fiends.

Image Dead dead go poof!

Image Indeed, it's over. Now, let's make haste, we're almost to the end of this.

Each battle and each day the people of Goatmurdered grew stronger and wiser.

The Darkness tried it's utmost to hold them down with whatever inconveience or danger it could muster.

They'd still keep marching forward though, acting to reclaim their future.

Horos was with them, and soon enough, perhaps the other gods may recover as well. Things that might have been very dangerous seemed to be turning into only minor obstacles easily worked past.

All the while they marched at a swift pace, even if their supplies had dwindled some. Soon enough, they had reached Alysir's meditation spot, the shards in hand.

Image Alright, we've got them, but we do still have some questions.

Image This is going to take most of his power, we ought to wait until afterwards.

Image Fair enough, I suppose, but can't we help any?

Image We could, though our contribution wouldn't be much. Can you see how much magic he's drawing in? He's using rather restricted rites to do this- honestly, we'd be more at risk if we joined in.

Image Surely this isn't all necessary? Can't we just get a general location?

Image The seed itself or the whatever force took it from the Orcs is most likely cloaking it's location as well. We also need something to break through that magic barrier.

Image ...Fine, but I still don't like it.

Image It is rather beautiful... I haven't seen anything like it in a long time.

Image Looks like a right treasure to me!

Image True enough, but this is no trinket for the time being... Ngh, by Horos the amount of magic in this is blinding!

Image ... I suppose this is why, then.

Image Yes, I knew it'd would happen from the beginning, but something must be done before all life is extinguished. Please, prepare yourselves for what awaits you, and swiftly.

Image ...

Image Shei?

Image Despair not for my life, it could not be preserved. The mad Leshy's poison had already guaranteed that, and it was my fault that I was captured to begin with. It isn't enough to make up for all my mistakes, but I had to try.

Image Nothing I do can make up for what I've done, so all I can do is give a final effort to put events back on the right path.

Image ...

Image Please, go, and finish what I had started.

Image ...We'll go.

With the elf's final blessing, the Dance Macabre set off further to the west- the last living part of the Cosmic Tree awaited them.

...And it was evident that the Darkness knew. Though it was only growing in power, it flailed wildly to throw any obstacle in their path that it could.

However, they couldn't let anything stop their progress.

They followed along the shoreline of the lake, eventually becoming worried that there would be no way to cross it towards their destination.

Yet, divine luck was on their side as the midday sun revealed a landbridge that provided them the final piece needed to swiftly make their way to the tree. The undead that guarded it was barely a barrier to the steadily moving expedition.

One final surge of strength would serve them well to see their mission to the end.

Like a mist forming, the dead husk of a burned out tree appeared before them as the powerful cloaking magic was dispelled.

They had found the seed, right at the heart of the fallen pillar.

Image What in the hell...?

Image Is this truly the Cosmic Tree?

Image ...It's a dire sight, indeed.

Image It inhabits many places? I'm not sure I understand, but that's beside the point here; who are you supposed to be? Are you planning on standing in our way?

Image Kinda lost the effect when you said it, mate.

Image You're Chaos?

Image Perhaps some embodiment of it I suppose. The primal forces of the world can take strange shapes as well.

Image So what, does it want the tree destroyed? Tell us, "Zmey", why have you hidden the seed? Are you in favor of the Darkness?

Image Now, I ain't got much a clue what any of this means, but I think I can tell that's a bad thing.

Image Indeed it is, though I'm not sure I expected much different from a creature of Chaos itself.

Image Well, that sure sounds nice and dandy, but you know, if you haven't a clue whether or not you're an enemy, mind if we just borrow the seed?

At this point, the Macabre stepped aside to talk out their plan. Zmey seemed to have no plans on taking action itself.

Image Damn, worth a shot.

Image It worked on the full dragon, though I suspect we're dealing with different motivations here.

Image Well, it doesn't seem like a quick conversation will resolve this.

Image Y'know, if a short one won't cut it, a long one might.

Image We're gonna talk this'n down too?

Image It may be possible, yes, but how would we convince this creature?

Image It's been going on and on about chaos, so maybe we aim there?

Image A fine enough idea. If we can appeal to its sentiments, we might be able to get it to give up the seed by default.

Image Well, at heart, as a creature of Chaos, all it wants to see is unpredictability and for things to stay in constant motion.

Image Well, all life dying out in the Darkness sure ain't gonna be that.

Image No life, all dark!

Image A world darker than my wings, caw!

Image Then we'll try that. If we can get this without risking our lives any further, that would be great.

With this, Shei-kun turned away and stepped up to Zmey.

Image Never mind the preparations, Zmey, we've made them already. We're here to settle this.

Image Oh, are you? Then draw your weaponsssss, a fair fight will be more interesssssting.

Image This won't be a battle of weapons, just words.

Image Ooh, how very interesssssting indeed! And what for?

Image Your understanding of the situation is flawed and we'd like to correct that.

Image Hsss... Well, give me the argument firsssssst.

Image You claim you are a creature of Chaos, yet you seek to let the world be enveloped by the Darkness.

Image And what issss wrong about that, sssssay, two-legssss?

Image Chaosssss!

Image You see, the Darkness will come to end all life if it continues! Nothing can continue if it comes back for good!

Image Hmhm... then it issss time for my rebuttal, hisss...!

Image Chaossss...

Image I sssay, look at the wonderful messss it hasss created sssso far.

Image Creaturessss sssscrambling everywhere to ssssurvive- it'sss complete madnessss!

Image If I may, that is perhaps a bit shortsighted. Indeed, the Chaos reigns now, but can the Chaos feel the parts of the world devoured by the Darkness?

Image Hss...

Image You can't, can you? That's because there's nothing there left!

Image HSS?!

Image Look to the future! Do you see what this means?

Image Chaoss, chaosss!

Image I hardly think so! It means an eternal calm, mate! In the pitch black cold, nothing will survive, and everything will come to an end!

Image N-no...!

Image Chaossss, chaosssss! The chaosss!

Image Aye, there'd be nothing left for ya to have fun with.

Image Ya might get yer fun now, but then it'd be gone for good!

Image ...Besides, you don't know what we're going to do with it...

Image Indeed, none of us knows what the future may hold. Letting the Darkness consume all is just a bit too predictable, but with us, who knows what's going to happen?

Image Hisss! Hissssss! Fine, you talk good pointssss...

Image W-we... we did it?!

Image It seems so, and you didn't even need my help it seems.

Image Right on, Samovar, you just had 'em on the run!

Image Hah, don't give me all the credit for that, Beecher's the one who made the first blow. I jus' did my thing in followin' through. Hell, you did quite fine yerself!

Image I thank you. You did make quite the argument though, I must say.

Image Indeed, old friend.

Image *walks up* Oh, you're done already? Looks like you didn't need my help this time. Ah, how they grow up so fast...

Image Aw, shut it, Simon.

Image Hey, I was in the reserves! You could've tagged me in at any time?

Image Gods, you really haven't changed at all...

The members of the Dance Macabre had finally achieved their goal, but one final question lied before them: what would they do with it?

They had a long discussion to try and reason out the factors of the whole situation before them. The future of Thea was quite literally in their hands and they'd have to consider it closely.

Image Evil King, I've been meaning to ask something. Who was Alysir? I can tell you knew him.

Image You could? Hmhm, your eyes have gotten much sharper it seems. Yes, I knew Alysir, as did most elves, but I was one of the few who knew him by name. Alysir was the High Councillor of Magic in the Elven capital city.

Image Wait, he was the Councillor?! How did you know this?

Image Perhaps you underestimated my rank in the courts, but I assure you I did. I'm not entirely sure if he recognized me though.

Image I mean, fair enough, I don't remember much from that far ago, though that might be the latent effects of undeath.

Image What's all the fuss about this Councillor anyhow?

Image Put short, he was the one who made the final decision centuries ago to hide magic from the other peoples. He was always heavily opposed to it, and had little faith in what humanity would do with it.

Image So what you're saying is that, in a sense, he caused all of this...

Image ...Yes, you could blame him for it. I know he blamed himself for it, his final words spoke that quite clearly. Perhaps not all the blame lies with him, but he was the one who truly set this all in motion. I grant him no excuses for it.

Image Hmm... And what about what the orcs said? They seemed afraid of the return of kings, Western nobles, and your isolationist Elven courts.

Image Well, the Westerlands weren't doing too well at this point. The vile noble courts had long since fallen, but life was beyond hard. The hunting guilds, like the one I was raised into, were mostly for hostile demons... but I can't guarantee what they'll end up doing.

Image The Elven courts of old are now long gone. The Elven population was greatly destroyed during the days of the Cosmic Tree's fall, and has only dwindled since under the harsh Darkness. The ones of us that are left know that our refusal to cooperate was our downfall, and that joining together is the only way to survive.

Image I'm sure we can convince the remnants of our people of this as well, though it is a hopeful stance. As for the Westerlands' return, I have no idea how they would act or even if they would come back.

Image So, as it stands, if we banished the Darkness, we may be able to continue our cooperation here, but we don't know what would happen in the rest of the world.

Image Yes, and though the Cosmic Tree is the main pillar, I do not know the influence it would have on the other lands.

Image Aye, don't forget we've got Horos back now too, he also protects the good demons, Orcs, and the Goblins.

Image A fair point.

Image If we did not return the Seed then, what will happen? I mean, we can keep up surviving this harsh life, I suppose, but what of everyone else?

Image Well, that other band of people claimed they were doing fine. At the rate things are going, I don't think the garbage parts of the old world would resurface.

Image Yes, but unfortunately as the situation stands, the Darkness will likely eventually expand too far and overtake us all. It would be a few hundred years at best before that would be a problem, but even then...

Image But that's only an estimation, right?

Image Well, yes, but remember when Pharnakes asked that creature if it could sense anything int he darkness?

Image Ah, right!

Image Zmey's response on that was worse than I had anticipated it to be. I imagined it would respond that there was at least a glimmer of light out there, but you see how well it accepted her statement.

Image Mm, is it possible we're reading a bit too far into that though? Do we know it's spreading for sure?

Image Perhaps I am putting too much faith in a Chaos creature's words, but I still believe the Darkness is still likely spreading more harshly than we or that other civilization had estimated. I can only say that it is spreading based on the rising danger we've encountered.

Image Hmph, there did seem to be an awful lot of inconveniences getting here, as well as that undead horde that was aimed towards Goatmurdered.

Image Regardless, I'm not sure how the rest of the Elves will survive in this situation. When you found us, we were both on the brink of death already. We are inherently magical beings, and the waning power of Thea itself would eventually do us in.

Image Hey, what about the Dwarves?

Image Dwarves ain't real, mate.

Image Oh, actually, they are, but it seems like they isolated themselves completely to the underworld when this happened. I haven't seen one in a long time. They'll be fine for a long time, but eventually the Darkness would reach them too as well.

Image It's not an easy choice here. There's far too many uncertainties... What would the gods want?

Image Well, I'd imagine Horos is fine with either choice, though I think it depends on the god.

Image ...So no closer to an answer. Ugh, why couldn't this have been an easy choice?

Image Well, we've got plenty of time to make a decision.

Indeed, it was a choice that was fraught with unpredictable outcomes.

A. They could restore the Cosmic Tree, putting the world on a path of recovery from the Darkness, but how the new societies would act is beyond their knowledge. The fight against the Darkness would soon end as its strength waned, and the coming days would be about trying to unite the peoples of Thea for a second chance on a world that would remain habitable.

B. Leave the world in it's present state and continue to eke out a living alongside the other civilization they met, but without knowledge of whether or not the world would be eventually consumed. The corrupt organizations that had contributed to bringing the world to this state would likely never return, but the Elves would likely go extinct, and the future would be filled with warring against the Darkness.

The vote will be for about a week and then I'll call it.

---

Image Hey, don't leave me out of this! You can't just tell me Dwarves are real and cut off the conversation!

I mean, we've spent the whole thing braving the unknown and mastering it, so what's a little uncertainty about society? Absolutely going for A.

Update 15: Epilogue

It was after long debate that the expedition team had come to an answer.

Image Horos, perhaps this is what you meant when you told me I couldn't protect everyone. I didn't want to believe that at the time, I couldn't believe it. Protecting people has always been my purpose.

Image It's only now I ask of you to help the other beings of the night in this new world. We'll do what we can for them, but you're right, protecting everyone isn't possible for us alone.

Image ...I'll have to settle for keeping my pack and their future safe first.

With that, the Dance Macabre placed the Cosmic Seed back upon the Tree's husk, setting forth the motion to bring the world back into it's original balance.

In the future to come, they would try their hardest to prevent the mistakes of the past from happening again- theirtale being retold a great many times throughout the years to remind the people of the Darkness that once was.

The Orcish populations were rather unhappy with this decision, but the people of Goatmurdered would go on to try and maintain an alliance with them while Horos watched all of their backs.

The old academy was deemed a forbidden ground, though a society formed around it to ensure that nobody would ever repeat the wrongdoings that had brought all of this in motion.

The Elves, with the Tree restored, would soon enough re-form their society at the ruins of Silveroak and those that had returned took it upon themselves to work closely with the other society in search of not repeating past mistakes.

The fate of the rest of the world remained unknown, but for Thea, it seemed at least a future peace could be found. Whether or not it would is a question nobody knew the answer to at the time- and possibly this is precisely what the Chaos wanted in the end.

Of course, there are many tales to tell about the future of Thea, but those will need to wait for another day. Most haven't even been written in the annals of history yet.

Character Endings:

Shei-kun, Pack Leader and High Defender of Goatmurdered

Attributes Not Pictured: 16 Strength, 7 Tactics, 6 Will

Image We had some close calls, but we never lost anyone. I'd say that's a job well done!

Shei-kun would go on to continue her role as the guardian of her people, and was head teacher of the next generation of fighters, even if she hoped it would never be necessary.

She still felt a bit of restlessness from all her time on the road and never could settle into a sedentary lifestyle. She stayed on the road traveling between the known towns when she had free time to herself, inspiring the recreation of marathons.

Her endurance had her remain undefeated, even into her elder years.

The Monster Hunter, Oggy and Treasure Hunter Samovar

Attributes Not Pictured: 14 Strength, 6 Traps, 15 Will

Attributes Not Pictured: 22 Stealth, 11 Strength, 20 Will

Image Oi, y'think this entrance is the right one? I think I smell treasure, old friend.

Image You keep saying that, and last time we had to fight off four bears in a dead end cave that was slowly flooding.

Image Hey, it was exciting though, right?

Image *sigh*

Samovar would go on to search out the location of the living Dwarven civilizations, no doubt attracted by the legends of their exquisite treasures. Oggy stuck around for some time, but eventually left to find his friend leaving this as his only reason: "Someone has to keep him from getting himself into a situation he can't talk his way out of. That, and I still don't trust the kitchen in this place while she's still here."

It would seem that he never told the whole story regarding him, Sam, and Simon, but as far as anyone could guess, it must've been quite the tale.

Black Robe the Coven Leader and Her First Trainees, Delilah Flowers and Meinberg-

Attributes Not Pictured: 2 Sturdiness, 17 Will

Image ...Well that's all for today. I have to get back to managing the kitchen. I swear, these apprentices sometimes...

Image ...Right... I'll go back to... my hideout...

Image I can't leave my cats alone for too long... kehehehe...

The methods that Black Robe had found to awaken the magical talents in someone ensured that even if the Elves did return to their old ways, the people of Thea would never be without magic. Despite being a bit off-putting to most people, the coven was mostly harmless. She would go on to teach a good many people her not-so-secret profession, and left behind a legacy and tradition of a new kind of witch coven.

Delilah Flowers never found a cure for her acidic poison blood or the resulting lethargy, but it eventually did lead her to the discovery of a material it wouldn't affect, inspiring the creation of the first hazardous material suit

Meinberg was one of the main assistants in the coven for quite a long time. Though she never shared the secret of her long lifespan, she did leave behind a great many cats and a particular style of knitting that was highly receptive to enchantment.

The Builders- Arzaac, An Anonymous Idiot, and Vodkahead

Attributes Not Pictured: 5 Sturdiness, 1 Traps, 19 Will

Image Well, I think we got this field well enough.

Image Aye, it looks like we've got that ancient wood grove producing again.

Image Yeah, looks like we'll have some more stuff to harvest soon enough.

In the future rebuilding of society, Arzaac, Idiot, and Vodkahead remained crucial contributors to the agricultural development of many settlements. Their various experiences and skills were instrumental in designing more sustainable ways of food material production as the years went on.

Many distant materials had now become locally growable thanks to Idiot's adventures and Arazaac's skills in managing their growth.

Though Vodkahead missed his brother, he preferred to stay away from the violence and put his mental skills to better use at home. He knew that his brother knew how to handle himself.

The Budding Animal Kinsman, Rocket Baby Dolls and His Companions Redsnapper and Jimmydalad-

Attributes Not Pictured: 21 Stealth, 9 Strength, 18 Will

Image Well, what now, friends?

Image We sleep! We eat! Me say quest was tiring.

Image Caw! Well said, furball!

Image Hey, that's my line!

Rocket Baby Dolls was always a rather stealthy, roguish fellow, and it was quite some time before anyone noticed that he had slipped off on an adventure of his own, taking his animal companions with him. The events of the journey had awoken an interest in studying the various creatures of Thea, an interest that would eventually produce several tomes of useful knowledge.

In time, he convieniently ran across a lady on his travels that also traveled with a large rodent and a large crow. As to whether or not they ever got together, he never said.

Redsnapper would eventually go on to establishing a line of talking rodents that still persist to this day, though it is said many of them sailed to a far off land.

Jim eventually got his wish late in life as Horos chose him to be part of the second generation of Kingravens, the decision of which led to the eventual creation of the Godsbirds, a more diverse group of godly messengers. Before then, he and Rocket Baby Dolls also brought rise to a group of carrier crows.

The Strongwoman, Fat Samurai

Attributes Not Pictured: 7 Will

Image ...What?

Always one for few words, Fat Samurai's name wasn't mentioned much in following historical records. Although, when it did, it gave rise to the theory she sought to test the limits of human strength. The few times she was seen again was when she was visiting her little sister, Drakenel.

One written account notes a muscular woman lifting a fifteen ton rock in the middle of a thunderstorm, and some people still wonder to this day if it that was her, or if she was the matriarch of the bear riding amazonian tribe to the north east.

It was possibly both, honestly.

The Ambassadors to the Night, Drakenel and Pharnakes

Attributes Not Pictured: 22 Will, 1 Traps

Image Wait a second, you're that many years older than me?!

Image Rusalka blood ages gracefully after all. Don't worry about it though, I'm sure you've got a longer lifespan now too.

Drakenel eventually overcame her phobia of the supernatural and eventually embraced being part creature of the night, particularly thanks to Pharnakes whose reveal of her half-Rusalka nature came as a waking shock.

The two of them would go on to eventually establish friendly terms with many groups of night creatures and demons as the years went on, Drakenel wanting somewhere else to be than where Black Robe was present. Together, the two of them would also bring their skills together to make multiple advancements in various fields of technology.

The Wayward Revenant, Simon "Ziege Dame"

Attributes Not Pictured: 1 Traps, 25 Will

Image You all done here? I've got plenty of assignments and I'm low on skilled agents.

Image Time for me to go already is it? Ah, well, what a bother. Thanks for givin' me the chance though, boss man.

With the passing of time, Simon would eventually be recalled by Horos for a rather important mission he told nobody about but Oggy.

In the end, it would seem he himself found peace in bringing his adoptive brother's mind to rest. He also noted that life on Thea was getting perhaps a bit uneventful for him after all this time, and a change of scenery would be nice.

It's not easy making a deal with both Veles and Horos, but somehow he managed.

Slaan, Reaper of the Fields

Image The conquest war of the roots has ended, but we have no time to tarry, the lettuce is out to conquer us as well! We may be worn down, but lose not heart my soldiers, for their attempt at a pincer attack will be their downfall!

Image What in the world is she going on about now?

Slaan would continue to win many brutal battles within the fields, her strange envisioning of a war between humanity and plants always a minor bit of concern for the populace. Regardless, it would promote many developments in creating efficent and safe harvesting technology in the years to come.

While nobody was looking, she somehow became an honorary member of the Orc civilization. Historians still don't know what happened.

Zengetsu, the Lone Warrior

Image I'm glad to see it's all over, but I have a mission to complete...

Zengetsu's role in Goatmurdered's history was discovered to have been rather downplayed, mostly for the fact that he preferred to keep his contributions anonymous. Regardless, his presence was instrumental in protecting the town while the Dance Macabre was away.

When the Dance Macabre returned for the final time, he remained for some time to pass down the combat techniques he learned, but soon left for a quest of his own.

Soon enough tales of slaver bands being ambushed and cleanly dispatched began to rise, and though nobody knew the savior's name, let alone the fact that only few had even seen him, people eventually began to consider this to be his doing. Historians hypothesize this was his revenge on them for what had happened to him and his family. Regardless, everyone appreciated his involvement.

Rosemont, Man of the Earth

Image *incoherent grumbling*

The stout and gruff man seemed to vanish as he came, leading people to wonder if he was a dwarf or a gnome of some kind, but he regardless left behind a lot of very useful knowledge that served to future the medicinal practices of the new world.

Nobody really ever knew what he was saying though.

The Polite Elf and Gamesman, Beecher

Image Well, let's see if this takes off. I did put it together in a bit of a rush...

Beecher remained in contact with the people of Goatmurdered, serving as the primary ambassador between the elves and other civilizations. He sought to move on from his past in this new world, and though he'd always remember it and the people of his past, it was time for something new. He always remained thankful he had gotten a second chance, instead of being consumed by the Darkness.

In time, his fondness for games sparked a rather peculiar hobby that eventually took off to match a rather large, but still niche interest. He would document the various games of the world in text and paintings, writing down his experiences, advice, and personal observations of each one while inviting others to take part along the way.

"The Beech Tree", often shortened to just "The Beech", was his particular collection of these and resultingly inspired many developments into communication media for the people of Thea.

The Wise Stranger, The Great Evil King

Attributes Not Pictured: 3 Shielding, 18 Speech, 6 Stealth, 9 Strength, 2 Traps, 27 Will

Image All in all, I think this went better than I'd expected it to.

Image The cleanup's all done with, time to bow out gracefully.

Great Evil King eventually departed without trace after the events of the Cosmic Quest, never to be heard from again. Her true identity remains entirely unknown and sometimes people often wonder if she wasn't entirely made up as a sort of inaccuracy designed to make the story more interesting or provide a possible clarity to some events. The volume of the events she was present for and mentioned in, alongside the many oral accounts of her would seem to provide more than enough proof for her existence though.

...Yet, no images of her exist and none of her possessions seem to remain- her only traces are those words recounting her presence.

In the oldest history circles, historians have questioned her power and have wondered if she was in fact, something far more than she seemed to be...

~ Historian Draco Firebeard the Polite

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Notes

Well, this is probably my fastest round of Thea yet, though I suppose not waiting for the Giant's Quest would do that. This is also probably my luckiest, easiest run I've ever had as well. We've hardly been wounded most of the time, and the only times anyone came in danger of dying was from the Striga Lord fight (Sam), Horos's challenge (Pharnakes), and briefly with the poisoned well event.

For those of you wondering what it is, it's the DLC questline that usually triggers from around Turn 180 to Turn 200 with a difficulty scale that reaches all the way up to 10 skulls and makes the overworld increasingly dangerous as time goes on. It's on the verge of starting on this file, but it hasn't yet.

In the interest of this narrative reaching a proper end in a timely manner, I decided to cut it off before then. I think the Cosmic Tree is a good enough end to this tale after all.

All in all, this was a fun experiment and a big thanks to all the readers and particpators I've had for it over this time, even after it slowed down dramatically.

Given the size of the screenshots, this can't cleanly be stored on the archive, so I'll have it archived on LP Beach for the forseeable future. I only have one other project going presently, if you're interested, an LP of FE: Echoes- Shadows of Valentia. I'll be doing some One-Offs in time though.

Thanks again, all!