Enough mean words, Mister Goon! LP LP (Let's Play Laxius Power!)

Put your Let's Plays in here.
Finally, time to tackle this beast.

The very long-awaited Laxius S____ is finally coming out late this year. Allegedly. After having been delayed for the majority of a decade.
So, I decided it was high-time I started an LP of this series.

So, in 2005, one of my favourite RPGMaker series, The Way, ended.

Also in 2005, another of my favourite RPGMaker series, Master of the Wind, began.

And now we cover this series. The Laxius series, currently 8 games long, soon to be 9, hit its peak in 2005 (Well, okay, December 2004) with Laxius Power III.
It contended with the Way Episode 5 for Misao Awards, and incredibly, somehow beat The Way 5 for Best Story and some others. See my The Way thread for specifics.

Laxius Power 3's story still is not anything special but I think it indicates just how popular the Laxius series was for a time. I think it might have been more beloved by people outside of the RPGMaker community than inside of it though, but I cannot say for sure. I think it has also just been genuinely forgotten by the RPGMaker community now. None of the games are on RPGMaker.net either, not even his free ones.

The Title screen, music and the game's opening cutscene are in this video.

Laxius Power 1 is a game I have very complicated feelings about.

There's a lot of nostalgia here, but I do think it has some good ideas. It has an interesting mix of CRPG and JRPG design paradigms.

Unfortunately, there's also a lot of pretty problematic stuff that really should just not exist in a game. I'll quote a review of the first game.

Laxius Power is one of the best fanmade RPGs I have ever seen. Although the plot is quite cliche, the game more than makes up for this with sheer size: not counting numerous side quests and secret locations, Laxius Power will easily take you more than 50 hours to complete.
Coded with ASCII's RPG Maker application, Laxius Power is a console-style RPG, which means you get to control a party of anime-ish characters and explore a Final Fantasy-style world. The game lets you control multiple characters, and even allows you to change the difficulty level – a nice touch that more RPGs should have. One of the best things about the game is that you have considerable freedom of movement: there are always many locations you can explore at any given time – giving the game a strong non-linear feel.

Before you download the game, be warned: unlike most "cute" anime RPGs, this one has a number of "mature" elements that could offend you. There is offensive language and precarious sexual situations depicted, although nothing as blatant as the mildest of Japanese adult Hentai games. Also to the designer's credit, the sexual overtones never become the main focus of the game (it is normally quite obvious if a game designer is using sex as a 'cheap' gimmick to attract more players). The writing is awkward and stilted in some areas, probably a result of the game being translated from French, or coded by a non-native English speaker. That's nothing to detract from the fun, though. Overall, I find Laxius Power to be one of the best freeware RPGs today. If you enjoy console-style RPGs, check out this excellent underdog that will occupy you for dozens of hours. If offensive material puts you off, though, your best bet is to look for a more 'traditional' console RPG. Two thumbs up for this underdog.

Reviewed by: Underdogs

As you might have guessed from that last line, that's the Home of the Underdogs entry, where Laxius Power is rated as one of the Top Dogs with a rating of 8.21 (6917 votes).
The Home of the Underdogs entry is actually how I discovered Laxius Power, and through it, RPGMaker way back when I was like... 13 or 14 or something.

Anyway, like the HotU review states, there's some offensive stuff in here, but fortunately it's never graphic. There's definitely some nudity and fanservice and stuff I'll censor though or just mention in passing.

I might have to put up content warnings here and there but most of it is -relatively- tame. There's some rape threats. One scene of torture late in the game. A lot of sexism... (though I don't think the author is an actual misogynist. At the very least, he isn't anymore). The author is definitely keen on S/M relationships too, but it fortunately only really shows in some stupid bantering and bickering here and there and writing that elf girls are raised to be submissive unlike human women. The R-slur is used here and there. I can't remember anything more off the top of my head.

While there is some weird crap, and some incredibly stupid offensive bullshit, this LP is more a setup for the later games which... are far less problematic (but still have some stupid bad shit) but insane in other ways. This one we'll mostly be enjoying for its Engrish and some odd execution, if anything. If any of you are familiar with the infamously terrible Dominic Deegan webcomic, then I can tell you this game has the same sort of thing going on, where it feels like a young (?) guy or teen that loves harem and 90's fantasy anime a lot uncritically reproduced a lot of the problems with those things in his own work. If you are not familiar with Dominic Deegan... Well, lucky you. But a thread in BSS is currently ongoing as good ol' Mookie started a extremely boring and poor sequel series. At some point, to take the edge off the extreme boredom, the thread started to reread and analyse exactly what made the original Dominic Deegan so bad. It's a good and enlightening read, and the problems are sometimes relevant to Laxius Powers own. The reread starts here.

Laxius Power comes packaged with HTML files that act as the instruction manual of the game. Both gameplay info and setting information that never otherwise comes up in the game are contained inside it. I'll post it when I feel like it, but here's the story summary:
STORY (SHORT SUMMARY)
"Random Story", the 1st part of Laxius Power, features the adventure of Random, a young swordman, and his friends. Gifted with awesome powers a sword in the hand, Random gets bored of his training courses, and decides to make it to SankT Leona, a huge city where a famous tournament is about to take place. The young man just has enough time to get prepared, raise his skills and travel up to the faraway city. But simultaneously to Random's dreams of glory, a threatening order grows in the depth of dark caves and creepy towers. Its name : the Dark Order. Its location : everywhere. Its goal : raising the ultimate army, the most powerful army ever, full of fiends and overboosted creatures, in order to control as quickly as possible the unaware country. Why all these efforts and agitation ? Within 2 years, a millenary cycle - forgotten by everyone but the necromancers - must happen, and bring back antic Over Demons to proceed to the Global Annihilation, and the Dark Order wants to unite with them instead of endure them.
Will the reign of terror win ? The story tells the adventure of Random and how he'll deal with the terrifying events that are about to happen. Also, discover the love story of Random and his elf girlfriend, Sarah, and live their burning passion through dramatic events and scaring enemies. Mythology, adventures and secrets are to be discovered in the world the story takes place. Laxius Power is also a thought about the quest of glory, and the important things in life.
As you can see, English is the second language of our author here, though his English does improve a lot over the series. I believe his first language is French. I had a French friend some years ago, who claimed the French RPGMaker community had a great distaste for Indinera and exiled him for the crime of not making art games and then having the gall to translate them into English. Said friend also said they named the pervert game award after him. But this is all second-hand. I can't read French. If someone knows otherwise, please do not hesitate to correct me.

One last thing: Indinera posted his portfolio on his forum some time back and has kept it updated ever since. I'll quote it here, because you might recognise some of these since I see them, especially Millenium, on sale on Steam and stuff fairly frequently.
I started developing games in April 2001 and took a two-years break in 2006-2007 after the release of Lax Team, to the Rescue.

Laxius Power ~ Random Story October 2001 (re-released May 2002)

Laxius Power II ~ Destinies April 2003

Laxius Power III ~ The Final Terror December (X-mas) 2004

Blades of Heaven April (?) 2005
Lax Team, to the Rescue! December 2005

Laxius Force - Heroes Never Die August 18, 2008

3 Stars of Destiny February 23, 2009
Laxius Party May 2009
Laxius Force II - The Queen of Adretana August 19, 2009
Millennium: A New Hope September 21, 2009
Asguaard November 13, 2009
Millennium 2: Take Me Higher December 20, 2009

Dreamscape March 19, 2010
Ella's Hope (Lead: Eridani) April 29, 2010
Laxius Force III - The Last Stand August 29, 2010
Millennium 3: Cry Wolf October 31, 2010

Sylia (Lead: Ensorcelled) May 8, 2011
Millennium 4: Beyond Sunset August 6, 2011

The Book of Legends February 18, 2012
Moonchild August 26, 2012
Opaline - 2 Fates 1 Love (Lead: Warfare) November 20, 2012

Millennium 5: The Battle of the Millennium July 21, 2013
Onyx (Lead: Valkyria) October 31, 2013

Undefeated January 4, 2014
Girlfriend Rescue August 30, 2014
The Tale of a Common Man October 17, 2014

Elendia Ceus February 20, 2015
A Timely Intervention August 20, 2015
The King's Heroes November 14, 2015

YOU... and who else? May 14, 2016
Witch Hunt October 16, 2016

Little Hearts August 3, 2017

Shadows & Lies April 6, 2018
Fortress of Hell October 31, 2018

Inferno August 15, 2019
A Plunge into Darkness October 28, 2019

Forever Heroes September 21, 2020

Night of the Stars June 18, 2021
The author of Laxius Power went by Damianzeking for a time, but now goes by Indinera or Indinera Falls. He owns Aldorlea Games and publishes his own RPGMaker games on Steam now. As well as other peoples games.

You -might- be more familiar with Indinera's Millennium quintology. They were made in-between installments of the Laxius Force trilogy, which is so strange to me. Laxius Force is completely insane but Millennium is not. I have a fair bit of genuine fondness for Millennium, even.

So with that all out of the way... I'll be updating this LP whenever I feel like. People who read my last two LPs will know from experience that that can mean once a week, it can mean daily, it can even mean two or even three times in a day, depending on how I feel and how excited I am to reach a part.

I do want to warn everyone not to expect something like The Way or Master of the Wind, though. Laxius Power 1 has its weird parts, but the story and characters are awful. The battle system is basic RPGMaker 2k shit. Most of the music and tilesets is basic RTP.

So! In light of all that, I won't be painstakingly transcribing every line of dialogue like I did for The Way and Master of the Wind.

Sorry if this comes off pretty incoherent and all, but I have seriously rewritten and deleted this post many times in the months since the Master of the Wind LP. I have gotten cold feet on starting this LP at the last minute a bunch of times. I mean, for one thing, I originally intended to do Laxius Power right after The Way. I've had many long debates with myself on if it's really worth LPing this game with all its problems. Now I just want to get it off my back. I'm -haunted- by the Laxius series. It's my fate and burden to carry. But, maybe by sharing this burden my pain shall be eased a little bit.

Reserved

Reserved Just In Case

S1E1: Meet the Party.

We meet our party of beloved psychopaths plus a cat and an extremely boring teenage girl.

Oh god, this series. I only made it through the first... third? I think? of the first game before my eyes threatened to roll out of my sockets over a combination of how bad the dialogue was and how it was apparently written by someone with one hand perpetually shoved down his pants.

Also using Tiki's Mystery of the Emblem portrait for Sarah was certainly uh A Choice but people used rips for everything back then so.

First things first, it's really weird seeing so many portraits from Thracia 776 in here. I already see Fergus, Linoan, and Dagdar among them, and I get the feeling we'll see many, many more if the deluge of party members right off the bat is any indicator.

Anyways, lemme tell you it's a TRIP finally being able to talk with other people who know about this weird world of old RPG Maker games. Hell, I only scratched the surface of most of the area, I had no idea this dude was behind Aldorlea. Interesting what some experience can change about a person's style. ...well, that and probably having more people than just himself helping at some point. My only experience with the Laxius series was 3 Stars of Destiny for the most part (got like, 8-12 hours in? idk), then I later played a free trial of one of the Laxius Force trilogy, went "...huh, well that was weird. Had a bunch of characters I recognize from 3SoD, but... talking really, really weird, and with a bunch of party members for each one. Seems like a lot."

The opening post and first update alone have shown me how little I knew about the series' baggage... hooooooo boy... :ohdear:

RandomKesaranPasaran wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:24 pm
how it was apparently written by someone with one hand perpetually shoved down his pants.
There's one scene in particular that I very strongly dislike that makes this very clear.

LPFinale wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:22 am
talking really, really weird, and with a bunch of party members for each one. Seems like a lot.

The opening post and first update alone have shown me how little I knew about the series' baggage... hooooooo boy... :ohdear:
Laxius Force goes absoltuely insane with the partymember count. So does Laxius Power 3, honestly. And yeah, talking weird. They sure do. Half the charm of the series is how bizarre a lot of the dialogue is. While I do have a genuine fondness for this game in spite of itself, as well as Laxius Power 3, I don't think I could've finished the Laxius Force trilogy if it wasnt so weird and funny.

S01E02: The Dream Book.

In which our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a boring teenage girl read a book and bug and rob everyone in Rillia.

Love that Coryool's art doesn't even try to even approximately match either his RTP sprite or his FE5 rip portrait.

Also love the fact that Indinera apparently couldn't decide what shade of green Sarah's hair should be.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:48 am
Also love the fact that Indinera apparently couldn't decide what shade of green Sarah's hair should be.
Even in Laxius Force with commissioned artists, Sarah's hair colour still changes between at least three different colours entirely and it's really hard to tell if intentional.

Anyway, this thread is actually one update behind the SA thread, so next time I post an update, there will actually be -2- updates.

S01E03: Do Not Name Your Dark Order 'The Dark Order.'

In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a dull as shit teenage girl undertake a lengthy dungeon crawl.

S01E04: Stay Close To Me, Sarah (repeated)

In which our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a yawn-inducing teenage girl slaughter some priests.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Loo is apparently an old word for clearing, which makes that sequence of events slightly less amusing to me. Funnily enough I don't recall actually finding that sword but I do remember LP1 being absurdly generous at times so I'm not surprised it was just lying around behind a fairly easy fight.

And yeah honestly if it weren't for the super cringe dialogue I'd the time I spent on it was pretty enjoyable for what it was because I think apart from that I think my biggest issue was that the dungeons go on seemingly forever. Maybe they get shorter past what I played though so.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:33 am
Maybe they get shorter past what I played though so.
Hahahahahahsha

S01E05: Not as cool as Solest's fairies. The punny title of the update was cheated from me.

In which our beloved band of psychopaths, a cat and a teenage girl Bore Magician run a maze.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I do remember the dragon and I don't remember it being hard enough to wipe on (and I do remember wiping to something later because the game over screeen is uh "classy.") without being lazy. Granted, I may have gotten incredibly lost in places and Sarah may have already had Tsunami by that point (which I also recall being cheaper than 25 MP but either my memory is fuzzy or it got changed at some point.)

What an oddly specific number of spider encounters in that spider bush.

S01E06: The Upper West Saga 1: This ain't so upper.

Our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a FISH-VIOLENCE-MAD teenage girl explore the Upper West.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, there's the absurdly good healing item shop that i remember buying a million things from.

"The humble beginnings of a legend" is a statement with an ominous aura alright and I can't say I'm especially eager to know what it entails considering what I've already experienced from this game's dialogue.

S01E07:The Upper West Saga 2: Spelunky!

In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a Fish Frenzied teenage girl prove the gossips wrong! The rumors are true!

S01E08: The Upper West Saga 3: Unlimited Power!

Our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat, and a dull teenage girl discover the power that will make them legends... as long as they all stick together.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think one of those dungeons is about where I stopped because I blundered into it too early and got in over my head. Probably the Balthus one but it's been a long time so I'm not sure.

vilkacis wrote: Leanda may not be great, but the debuffs she comes with seem pretty strong! The attack one also affects speed and has a base power of 100, and the defence one also hits mind for 140 base (and both have decent mind/str scaling as well). She could nerf someone a lot faster than Sarah with her weaker all-stats one. 'Course, with the current power level you're unlikely to need it any time soon.
Something a goon/lurker just reminded me of on the Aldorlea Discord makes Leanda yet more irrelevant. I had forgotten which item was used for A Thing and it turns out I already have it. I was gonna bring it up next update but might as well do it now.

The Diamond Jewel is Unlimited Casts of Love Me, MP-free. Which will make us even more unstoppable. I think only the female cast can use it which isn't really a limitation.

Miacis wrote:
Thank you, thank you.

The English does improve over time and he gets proof readers to help at some point but they never do a super great job in Laxius Force and the dialogue always remains... off. If anything, it feels more off the better his English gets. Uncanny Valley effect for language. Whoever proofreads the Millennium series does much better, and I know he credits different people for different series, but even Millennium still feels a bit awkward.

nine-gear crow wrote:

This dude looks amazing.

"I think it is a mental representation of the Order in Laxius."

Jeanne d'Bright wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:48 pm
I think only the female cast can use it
CORRECTION

S01E09: The Upper West Saga 4: Taking Big Cow Out To Pasture.

In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a boring, fish-crazy teenage girl take on Big Cow... and win.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also check out our GP. If you recall, we has 69k or something like that when we left the Forest Maze, and then I spent every GP and some more we earned after on all the fish, whales and the Teleport place so we had no GP.

This is even without selling any of our loot like all those shields and crap.

Got a duplicate image of Random's reaction to clearing out the harpy nest.

Of course the mithril can't be used until the third game, why would I have expected otherwise.

Also 37 gauntlets and 46 assorted shields is certainly the sort of loot pile I'd expect the game to throw in somewhere. It just feels so very, Laxius Power.

S01E10: The Upper West Saga 5: Mammoth Mandatory Monster Mountain Maze MELTDOWN!

Our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a trivia-orientated teenage girl traverse the largest mountain dungeon of all time, only to get blueballed at the end.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I found out Indinera's favourite Might and Magic is the 6th one and I'm remembering the like 6 hour second last dungeon in that game which explains so much.

EDIT: Before someone points out the SankT Crown is in fact actually good for its resists, I did notice that later and equipped it on Sarah.

I can't believe how enormous that area is. Jeez!

Jeanne d'Bright wrote:I found out Indinera's favourite Might and Magic is the 6th one and I'm remembering the like 6 hour second last dungeon in that game which explains so much.
Heh. (also fuck that dungeon)

S01E11: The Upper West Saga FINALE: My long-time dream finally reality!

Our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a HONOUR BOUND TO DELIVER MAIL INTACT teenage girl deliver the mail and meet a rather delightful mushroom. Also they cross two different sets of mountains.
Last edited by Jeanne d'Bright on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Good to know that not!Funguy is living their best life at least.

Here's something. A while back I booted up Fortress of Hell, laughed in shock at the opening and recorded it. I just now decided to upload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sowwEVc_mD0

I see this series continues to go places. Stay classy, Indinera.

The absolute insanity of the Laxius Force trilogy and (apparently!) Fortress of Hell aside, we have a much older and slightly more normal game to deal with first.

S01E12: The Journey's End

The Lion man asks us if we think a lion or tiger would win a fight, because of course he would.
We actually get four different responses and I tell him who cares which upsets him so he tells us to have a nice day.

Coryool ruthlessly mocks a magician.

"days."

hey even non-insects gotta worry about being swatted. Anyway, Random wonders to himself if this girl is as cute a person as she is a butterfly and...

:rolleyes:

The Mayor's put out word there's 20,000GP reward for lifting the curse. Apparently he and his advisors seem to think it has originated from the nearby 'Granit Tower.'

Weird, the mayor has the same email address as Indinera.

Anyway, nothing else here.

This house was just to the right of us in the previous picture.

We volunteer for a mini-quest.

Random, of course, thinks to himself that he'd like to see that.

I also switch Herasia into the party as this is one of the few times such a thing matters.

He's... not great and his equipment selection is still exceedingly poor.

He is only level 16 compared to the main party at 26, though.

Why has she got plaster walls around her backyard.

Why is her garden upstairs

This is the garden of a monster.

At least we get some loot out of this.

There's two types of random encounters in this area. You can run into sixbees from the start of the game, or a single Jungle Crotale which are the snakes we slaughtered a big nest of in the Tangar Mountains. The lady claimed there are spiders too but I did not see any.

Anyway, I was confused about where to go for a little until I realised you're meant to walk through the wall here. Tricky.

Everyone tries to surround the cat, but...

There's then a big back and forth between the two cats that is untranslated, but I have to sit through it regardless.

100 XP? 4 Speed... Not even worth the time doing this quest.

... Well, I can understand this, at least.

The Tangarien Checkpoint does not really have anything interesting in it, just a guy that thinks he's the king of the 'Aurora Lands' and the save point.

The local inn isn't interesting in itself either but there is this guy who apparently has a low opinion of his own race.

And this. Bellenue just recommends we speak to the mayor.

We get some foreshadowing about a sidequest. She refuses to give any details because she does not want to be thought of as a mad witch.

That is definitely not a fucking crab, Indy.

And it just wouldn't be this game without stealing a lot of GP from someone.

Wait, wait, what was that last one?

And yeah, we can't buy anything here yet.

The storekeep tells the horse 'Patapaa' or something like that, to shut up and let him handle it.

He only has junk we do not need though.

We do find this guy in the backroom that I'm fond of.

Also I like this guy too. It's a hell of a moo'd.

Excuse me?

There's one last home to see and it's way on its own in the north east of the regio.

Baretta...

Yeah, so. Baretta is one of the more major side characters of this series. She doesn't do much besides make and sell artifacts in this game, and I'm not sure she appears at all in LP2 (maybe one scene?) and Fortress of Hell but the rest of the games? She's a lunatic that uproots her shop to move some where easily accessible by Random every few months. She also helps out with the games main quest sometimes.

She makes everything she sells and there's usually a progression in power to what she sells over the course of the game. Some of the best items usually are of her making.

How Baretta quests usually work is that you have to buy at least one of everything she sells, or every unit of the item available in some cases (usually obvious when this is the case, don't think LP1 has any items like that).

When and only when you have bought everything, will one of the triggers scattered in various events all over the games trigger and update her shop with a new tier of items. People seemed to think Laxius Power 1 had the same problem later games DO have where you can fuck up the quest by not buying everything in time, but I was recently told that apparently that's not the case in this game. This is what I was referring to when I mentioned an easily screwed up sidequest can result in you missing the second best sword in the game or some other valuable items.

You might wonder why it's so easy to screw up. Well, most of those triggers are in events that are checked once only during story/progression events. I'll have to ask or take a look myself to see exactly how it works but there is never any notice whatsoever that her stock has updated. And in fact, I believe it updates three times at three different points when dealing with the final dungeon of the main plot. This is what fucks you in later games too.

In this game, if it's really not so bad, I'm guessing that she switches to a new tier of items even if you didn't buy the previous one, so you just miss out rather than screw it up. But I couldn't say for sure right now. I'm sure within minutes of my uploading this someone from the Aldorlea Discord will explain it to me, because there's a lot of eventing in this part of the game to poke around in.

IIRC the Millennium series also has something similar going on.

Anyway, we buy the pokemon shield, but it's not really good for either of the girls so it will just sit.

I head back to Tangar and then head west and across a river.

Granit Tower is a very dull and drab place.

Has some vaguely nasty monsters too. The Papura's have a fairly damaging ALL spell named Genga Storm and are pretty resistant to physical damage.

Worth 56XP

There's both stationary and mobile flame pillars in here and they can do a little bit of damage.

Emerald Demons just seem to cast Torquioise Tornado over and over again which isn't too bad. 64XP and 35GP.

And... yes. We can't do anything about the curse for now. Back to Tangar village!

Random, of course, starts screaming at SankT Leona excitedly again.

Luci has to remind him of their important mission.
... Then we head north through the pass.

Everyone's happy and yelling, and Sarah says Random's gonna kick everyones ass.

Then we continue on.

Sunscatters are like Fire Fires. Harder to kill, though and they can come in groups which technically makes them nastier. Also they double hit. Resistant to phsyical damage, but Sarah's Nymph Para one shots them cos they only have 83HP.

58XP.

If we take this last option we would actually get into a fight with her and -kill- her.

In a Sorya-esque twist, we would only see this witch in future games if we killed her here.

But this is -such- a useful teleport spot that I pay her exorbitant fee.

Eat a bag of hell.

We find ourselves in an old mans private library, and Luci wants to read a book Teleportation despite the fact she already knows the spell.

... Reverse blood circulation?

Leanda will never fail to shut up about Gudar if she sees a chance to bring him up. I'm kinda glad she did mention him though.

The Upper West probably was a good example of what I like about this game and LP3. But it sure wasn't executed well. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it was like jigsaw puzzle of a great picture except you'd lost the box and some of the pieces are warped and others were missing altogether.

So it was like this big open area that has like five optional dungeons. Two of them are directly tied to each other. And there's actually a bit of a story there, multiple stories even. You may or may not first hear of Gudar by picking up his sword from Torahl, and then you get told literally everything about him by the fairies and Leanda not long after.

So Gudar's like this guy, a huge asshole, but an ambitious one, that wants to establish his own fiefdom in the Upper West. He gathers followers and builds his mansion and a church and its said he actually built a nice little kingdom there. But at some point for some reason, he decides to go looking for the fairies. I can only imagine he either fought Torahl and lost/ran away or when he was lost in the Forest Maze he lost his sword and Torahl found it.
Lost, he does eventually find Mizabrandeau and stays with Leanda, and steals her Orb of Energy and weapon and whatever he took from the fairies. Apparently he'd just wanted to find where Mizabrandeau was for some reason. Then he presumably immediately fights Barandos the Red for his sword, and dies. I think this because Barandos the Red has Leanda's Orb, meanwhile you do find another orb locked in a chest in Gudars Manor.

After he dies, his manor and church both become infested with dark spirits and his ghost hangs out in the basement. Doing nothing. We just go down and kill it uhhh, just because it might have the Orb? Even though we did it after we got Leanda her orb.

There's also all the talk about Balthus Cave having a powerful necromancer and Barandos the Red has the sword that STEALS SOULS.

Meanwhile Capul (Minotaur City) nearby is declaring war on mankind and has destroyed one village already and the dwarves are revolting cos they want humans to help with their problems.

These things could have all been tied up into a pretty interesting subplot, but they just weren't. Like maybe Gudars kingdom building provoked both minotaurs and dwarves. And stealing the Orb of Energy and the Barandos DaMuhl and finding the fairies was part of some larger plot, maybe related to the Balthus Cave stuff?

Ideally, Gudar would not already be dead, and all of that would not be immediately revealed to you, if you actually made a cohesive plot out of all that, but you could still have him be dead if you really wanted to. An undead minion of a necromancer or something. It could have been a subplot with many issues that you cleared up one by one in these dungeons, in whatever order you want. Skip the ones you don't want to do, and maybe there'd be something in the ending that varies depending on that. That would have been cool.

As it is, it's all just fodder to do some light questing and dungeon crawling without all that much really going on. There's also all the little one off encounters on the map. Those are nice. I guess.

Anyway, moving on, the party find a 'lousy' biography of the library's owner.

:/

Upstairs, there's a book on the BIGGEST CITY OF THE DEPORT!
Its King, Ronald V, managed to get it protected and controlled by raising around his town a huge wall.

Though over protected, the city is friendly to all Deport's main territories. It, for example, often trades with SankT Leona.

You cannot become or even enter Metrolia easily. All entries are checked, and a foreigner must have the King's authorisation to settle in Metrolia.
Powerful and lively, it hosts most celebrations, and offers to the visitors a rough half of the whole Deport's monuments.

The city has money and inhabitants (65,000) more than any other place.

Basically, as the proverb claims it, "everything is possible in Metrolia".
It is admitted the town is the Capital City of the Deport."
Both Sarah and Random would like to live there, though Random does not admit it aloud.

:)

:rolleyes:

Again, Sarah gets a book spell. Now she has a single target attack spell!

We leave the library and encounter...

Mud Slimes suck. 38XP.

Oh, look! The score guy is here!

Anyway, as you may have guessed this is a hangout of adventurers and bounty hunters.

... How nice to see you here.

This guy tells us of someone offering a quest to do 10,000 SOMETHINGs. He seems too resentful of how insane a request it is to actually say what it is.

And a woman here wants someone to do her quest for her. Random offers to do it, but then thinks better of it and says he'll do it after he's been to SanKT Leona. We won't be doing it that soon. I believe we cannot do it until we hit the postgame.

Foreshadowing for a minor adventure we'll be having next update.

This is a much more long term form of foreshadowing.

Still more foreshadowing.

And this is Mood.

We leave, and cross over to the eastern half of this region.

This appears to be a wealthy farm owners home. Hm.

The hell?

The only actual value this place has is this extremely hard to see root. You cannot actually see it in this image since I've already picked it up, but it's not much more visible than when it's not there!

There's a cave full of people with cats and big cats we buy some stuff for the pets from, just in case.

This cat barks at us.

Luci laments that Herasia cannot do such things, and then the other cat says Herasia and nothing comes of it.

tribu

The chicken screaming makes me giggle, tbh. Anyway this guy just sells junk so I just buy a few whales and then leave.

Land Rogues! Also nothing enemies. EXTREMELY low chance of dropping DAN'S SUCCULENT BREAD. Worth 36XP and 220GP.

And now it's time to move on to the last area bef- Actually, no! We have to backtrack!

Baretta's already got new stuff for us! Though I don't know why she made something evil. I think she said something about messing up.

It'll be worth it.

We also go back to Tangar Mountains and find most everyone is gone, even the teleport point and the save point guy.

Lise apparently left MORE gifts for us.

Too bad it sucks. The Ocean Love is a scroll type if you recall. Next we backtrack even more...

I have no idea why they would expect us to find it here. It wasn't here when we passed through before to find Kevin.
Maybe when you want to try killing the hydra again if you failed the first time?

Oh, Sarah.

Sadly, I think these are the only two things worth equipping.

Next, we teleport to the Upper West and stop by Yveen's Oracle to see what she has to say about our prestigious victories.

Got a couple new ones but not as many as I would have liked! The hydra should count! It should!

But it's time for us to be on our way.

As usual Random gets hyped as hell.

One last push.

Earth Trout can do some damage. They double hit. Prone to running away. Decent chance of dropping Earth Trout.

Worth 58XP.

If you recall, Trout heal 30% HP, so... these are not great.

Giving Sarah Luci's old robe GREATLY boosts her defense.

I wander about, gathering less major treasures too.

... What.

Why are these here.

Who...

She does in fact live with a cow and... there's nothing else in here. Just a dead end really.

I have no idea what these guys do. They kept running away from me on the first turn of battle.

Worth 55XP. Not that I ever see any of it.

And that was the only reason to come up this way, so I Egress back to the entrance.

Fethers.

Lion-Buz can take a bit of damage, and dole some back but they're nothing special. Extremely low chance of dropping a Whale (!) Worth 65XP and 12GP.

The what.

Well, fine. We go up and keep heading north.

Ooh. That's nice.

I finally remember to equip the Evil Ring on Coryool, oops.

And Luci finally replaces the Spell Devotion. Look at that Mind.

Why're we still finding these.

This lady is the only thing back here, so I don't know why this passage was semi-hidden. There's no way forward from here, so...

Sarah, please.

Anyway, I have to backtrack a fair way back now.

Sure enough, the stump bounces us over, but not as impressive as the jumping sack did.

Also how do you bury a soul.

We buy some of these petals and she leaves for Tangar when we close the shop menu.

Sarah warns us off from messing with this tiger. I feel like Luci is stereotyping here because we have not seen Sarah be good with animals even a little bit. The contrary, honestly.

We walk straight north for a long time.

Who is that? Oddly little information here, for this game.

Not long after we finally hit a big wide open area devoid of any features.

I was about to say this sucked but then I noticed it does LASER type damage. Also, 35% chance of Death.

Fuck! Those assholes, Dorado and the minotaur smuggler!

They demand a 500,000GP toll which we shall not pay even if we could. Also asking that high seems stupid even if they do intend to kill us anyway.

This is not a hard fight. They have a few thousand HP each, but Protection guards us from much of the physical damage. The Gorgona's magic spells can still hit for a 100 or so but that's nothing when Sarah can spam Fresh Tsunami.

We get 335XP and 574GP for the battle.

After, the party only really briefly discusses that they've done some good for travellers and then pretend this never happened.

Here's the infamous Evil Tower. It's not even out of the way or anything, you'll walk right into it going directly north from the valley.

So close...

Hahahahaha he doubled up he's so impressed!

But yes, at last, we have reached the city of SankT Leona.

the end

Ah yes, a metal scimitar is definitely something I associate with lasers. Also, as opposed to every other type of scimitar, which must not be metal then.

Reverse blood circulation sure is a trick though.

Jeanne d'Bright wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:16 pm
Here's something. A while back I booted up Fortress of Hell, laughed in shock at the opening and recorded it. I just now decided to upload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sowwEVc_mD0
What in the absolute fuck :psyduck:

S01E13: That Primo Library Content.

First things first.

Tangar
Inhabitants: 4500 (tangarians)
Town near the Mountains, grew up from a little village to a decent town due to the difficulty encountered by travelers from the North to pass the Mountains.

Tangar Hills
Inhabitants: 2400
Region surrounding Tangar.

Tangar Mountains
Inhabitants: 2700 (70% dwarves, 15% humans)
Dangerous and huge region.

SankT Leona Hills
Inhabitants: 1400
Start from the SankT Leona Valley to SankT Leona itself. Very few people here, most prefer the pleasant Leonian life. The land isn't dense, and travelers must sometimes walk miles to find a human being.

SankT Leona
Inhabitants: 24000 (leonians)
Biggest city of the Western Deport. Very modern, only overcomed by Metrolia (Capital town of the Deport).

Cross the Argolithian II River...

Head a short way north...

The SankT region has a slew of brand new enemies. This lot all can do a decent amount of damage, but nothing worrying.

Python's are worth 53XP and 9GP.
GandJe Thief's are worth 53XP and 615GP and have a low chance of dropping Saphirs.
Rapzadus are worth 75XP and 115GP and have a low chance of dropping Rapzadus Sword.

So, just a bit over a screen's walk north of SankT Leona, is this place.

We speak to this representative or teacher or w/e and she offers her services.

Probably the most important thing to do first off.

She can also teach Egress to select characters

... Uhm. Sure. Anyway, she teaches Egress to Luci and Herasia. Apparently Guanidia, Coryool and Leanda suck too much.

There's two back rooms but they both have boring npcs and no interesting books on their shelves, though we do get a Shiny Page from one.

Sarah finds the schools priestess' (?) complexion wanting, because she's just a shallow bimbo or whatever Indy is going for with her. I guess teenage girls picking someone apart someones flaws like that isn't super unusual, but still.

Now. Our second step.

YEP AGAIN ALREADY

Randhal was the guy with the croaky chicken.

Why a Bread.

At least this is a good upgrade for Luci. It has better typing and stuff than the Dwarven Mace too.

Now, I teleport back to the School of Transports and head back to SankT Leona. Time to explore our first big city.

There's not really anything interesting in the fishery but for the fact he sells this. Pretty, pretty nice. I buy ten. The Moon Fish also restore 5MP, so I buy a bunch of those too.

I do want to point out the Earth Trout (60HP) cost much more than the Trout (30% HP, 6% MP, Anti-poison) for some insane reason.

For some reason this guy tells you his whole life story.

He's got a bunch of ingredients, including some we've not yet seen. Might come back and grab some later.

The house directly north of us...

Nothing but GP and a guy talking about rumours of a Big Cow attack.

Another house, the owner says something extremely boring, but he has... an impressive blade. Also in the next room...

fethers

Can't do anything here.

We'll be skipping this place for now or we might trigger a chain of events from which there would be no escape.

The house just south though.

Lots of stuff about how big and great Metrolia is and how much everyone wants to see it or live there, huh. I wonder why.

This guy tells us about his whole family's doings which involves a farm near the Minotaur Coast.

In his bedroom we find a book of the Deports 99 most 'influent' moments.

Random hopes to see his own achievements in there some day, and luci

See? She can't let go of Gudar. She's not spoken except to speak about him thus far.

And the guy in here tells us of rumors Orful's is using this 'lost' ship as a base.

Have a rather dull and empty Japanese (I guess) themed restauraunt.

We get a quest to clear a warehouse south of SankT.

Apparently he makes mistakes a lot. Hm. Might be more than rats then?

You might think this guy would be important then, but nope. He'll only come up briefly in one side quest.

The west and east wings of the manor are forbidden to us but we're allowed upstairs for some reason.

This is important later. The grave.

We move on to an unlabelled home.

Drinks in the bathroom, huh.

Random can play a song here that would be impossible to play on the piano since it has a drum beat of some sort. Whatever he did, he says he did good, and Sarah says it was awesome.

Part of the night is my favourite part of the night!

She sells some decent weapons for the pets and also some accessories but I don't most of them. Just the Sharp Move which boosts all of Coryools stats, but taking off the Evil Ring reduces his attack.

Do buy this though and then immediately wonder if I might get it for free elsewhere. The Wail Pod is a Limitless P-Bolt only the pets can use, and the Glass of Nectar is 5 uses of Fresh Wave.

She also sells this ring, that sucks, but we steal one anyway.

The local inn is a big... very ugly brown place.

There's no one interesting around, but a woman does question if Random is old enough for the tournament.

IIRC it's mentioned somewhere that he is going to specifically for the 'Page Selection Insrciption.'

Another sword to consider stealing. Nothing else of interest.

AN EXPENSIVE PIECE OF SHIT

There's a bunch of lore here about this shop being contracted by the king for 60 years now, to make these famous sabres for the SankT Leona Guardians.

The backroom is slightly more interesting.

Yes, thanks to Luca Blight here, we can pit our beloved pets in animal fights. We won't be doing it right now though. Even if they were the same level as the main party and had the stuff we recently did not buy, I think it'd give us lot more trouble than it's worth, if we could win the whole thing at all. We want to plow through this bullshit easily.

At least they got fish for us.

This guy has a loooooooong list of expensive armours we shall not even touch.

W-wait... could it be that those are...

f-feth-...fethers!

We have 6, so we could make an easy 36,000GP right here but I refuse.

Random says GOOD THING WE'LL NEVER WIND UP AROUND THERE AND HAVE TO FIGHT THESE THEN HUH

There's stairs down in the last room.

That's a lot of fethers. And that's all we can do here for now.

So! That collector prices fethers the same as he would an emerald, I see.

Ah, FUCK we got ripped off! This is just the same shit we already could change to but PORTABLE!

Let's check out the Castle.

Nope! Not allowed in, and none of the NPCs milling around are interesting.

Let's check the garden next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlIQ2KCYG7Y

We do find some good loot, though.

Marianne here talks about exchanging our GP for any of the five types of diamonds without losing any value in the exchange at all... as long as we shelter her, because the rent in this house is too expensive.

Don't get your hopes up, she's not a party member and doesn't travel with us and talk about things, she just lives at the HQ.

We yoink a Diamond she left behind too.

Yeah, with a name like Maneata, I don't see why she wouldn't be.

We can't actually go inside the hospital right now, so we leave.

Luci says something about legal cases being handled here.

Yeah, manga, anime or Crystal anime?

Manga IMO, but I'm fond of the 90's anime attempt at being more an outright comedy.

Yes, yes, the bank in Metrolia is SO good, too bad we shall NEVER see it.

Tell me about it.

This is rich coming from you.

Random refuses to enter the other areas. And honestly we never have a reason to come here either, so this whole place is pointless.

Isn't this Nomagumm...? One of the Dark Order leaders/scientists from the opening? Same sprite and faceset too. That can't be a coincidence.

Anyway, we can't do anything with him.

Can't be that Superb if you neglected to mention how sexy it is.

This priestess has a new function for us. We've earned no new prestigious victories, but this one gives a rundown on stuff related to the main plot.

More like juniour heroes, honestly.

We can't head in this way, but the fanmade addon adds...

Do you see those two stair looking spots at the top and bottom left? Walking on the bottom left tile reduces your walking speed a bit every time you step on it, the top left one increases your walking speed. I step on the top one a bunch of times.

That 'Centre of Knowledge' in the middle just tells us about the tiles and the orb that occassionally turns into a shield as it floats around this small area.

Score guys turned into an orb!

Yeah, so this is the Extremely Comprehensive break down where you can see what you got and what you missed so far.
All Relics, Artifacts and Special Items are listed here. It's quite a lengthy list. I can post them if people are interested.

There's also a legend for the symbols.

And there's a list of quests, side quests, mini-quests and even one off encounters like the hydra and the lionine lair we cleared out. It also lists all of those things we HAVEN'T done yet. Again, it's a long list, so if people are interested I can post this stuff in a seperate post too.

And our scores gone up slightly since last time.

And, at long last, the library. This is where the game just loses it shit.

Yeah, yeah let's see the PRIMO LIBRARY CONTENT ALREADY OLD MAN

That's the good shit, Indinera.

Heh.

Tomb Blitz is a badass name for a spell.

This is in the section on Metrolia. Every other time you examine this shelf, some dumb 'mythical' love story Luci and Leanda love come up too

This child will follow us around for the rest of our time here saying Elven Girls Are Cute! and will even follow us upstairs.

'
A fanfare plays

And again.

Then he laughs at us and mocks us.

So Sarah starts foaming at the mouth.

There's a pyromaniac of an old man here.

Yes. Deport animes, immediately.

We go upstairs.

Upstairs, this girl goes into a trance and reads off the number of Relics and Artifacts we have and how many still to find there are, and then she expresses extreme discomfort with that happening.

Possessed by Indinera, the Variable Freak.

Just like all fantasy cities, the commute is getting to be a problem.

I guess Sarah gets distracted talking to this guy because Random calls for her and she comes out with:

.... Hm.

Luci gets annoyed by this because neither of those are weak classes apparently. And yes, this setting treats classes as a very... set thing, almost like an isekai or something.

Also Half-Goddess sounds way better, girl.

Yep.

Excuse me?

Leanda says she learned all about that and would be happy to help Luci.

South of there, a woman is complaining about having to 'check all the books.'

Chill out you two. Goddamn. Why is the game hitting us with so much s/M stuff all of a sudden in the LIBRARY of all fucking places.

One of the very rare mentions of that place.

You said it, gramps.

An elf says he misses Indinera Woods... which prompts... this...

Not far from here we get...

The most reprehensible piece of text in the game.

Enough!

Random is easily impressed because I'm not sure I've ever seen a remotely sexy anatomy book.

This guys got some great plans in mind.

And this guy asks for Luci's advice on casting spells.

Why does this feel like it should end with 'I reverse my blood, I don't like doing it, but it works.'

Hat

The 'Love and Relationship' shelves are at the bottom right here, so of course two kids and a priest are the ones examining it.

sarah

tired of this world i wander out of the library in a trance.

this is fine

this is fine

we get eaten by spiders in two turns

the end

Wait, is that 10 enemies or 16.

Also I guess Indinera is also one of the five or so Phantasy Star 3 fans on the planet, which also probably explains some things.

Again with the blood flow reversal. I mean I kind of appreciate that instead of some sort of interminable magibabble Luci just goes yeah i just reverse by blood like it's some casual thing but how has anyone not suffered severe oxygen deprivation by this point.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 pm
Wait, is that 10 enemies or 16.
Ten!