Suffer in Darkness No Longer, Let's Play Doom 3: BFG Edition

An archival space for the threads that made it.
Kinda cruel of the game to give you a plasma gun right before swarming you with Lost Souls. Those are a bad match up for the slow travel time of the plasma blasts.

TuxedoTed wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 pm
Kinda cruel of the game to give you a plasma gun right before swarming you with Lost Souls. Those are a bad match up for the slow travel time of the plasma blasts.
Yeah, agreed. There's a point in the video where I end up missing so much that I run out of ammo and have to swap weapons, and the rest of the time, I have to lead them a bit in order to hit the target. Ideally, you'd probably want to use the machine gun against them since it has a large magazine and very good accuracy over range. Or you could even use the pistol since they have so little health. Either way, hitscan weapons are the way to go.

Part 10: Comm Transfer

Ahhhh, Chainsaw! The great communicator! And how appropriate that is, since we're on our way to Communications, hot on the trail of Swann and Campbell. Comm Transfer is, in itself, not a particularly consequential stage, but I don't care, since there's a chainsaw in this game and it just shreds through everything! We also get a brief cameo from the Berserk power-up which doesn't appear much in this game, but will feature a lot more heavily once we get to the expansion.

The chainsaw in Doom 3 is actually the most powerful weapon by sheer DPS, outstripping even the mighty BFG.

The reason why was actually explained in the old paperback strategy guide to the game, where it was revealed that not only did the chainsaw do the same damage as the punch (10 points), but it did so on every frame instead of 'on tick'; essentially, the only times you can get hit by an enemy with the chainsaw out if is they take a swing at you before the chainsaw's hitbox intersects with them, and if they manage to stagger your view away from them, they might get a second hit in. (Which is why Pinkies are still a threat, due to their inflated stagger value)

Needless to say, the hard part is getting the hitbox intersection to stay connected, but if you manage to do so, on normal difficulty at 60 FPS, it takes 5/6ths of a second to kill a Vagary with the chainsaw.

Salted Grump wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:29 am
The chainsaw in Doom 3 is actually the most powerful weapon by sheer DPS, outstripping even the mighty BFG.

The reason why was actually explained in the old paperback strategy guide to the game, where it was revealed that not only did the chainsaw do the same damage as the punch (10 points), but it did so on every frame instead of 'on tick'; essentially, the only times you can get hit by an enemy with the chainsaw out if is they take a swing at you before the chainsaw's hitbox intersects with them, and if they manage to stagger your view away from them, they might get a second hit in. (Which is why Pinkies are still a threat, due to their inflated stagger value)

Needless to say, the hard part is getting the hitbox intersection to stay connected, but if you manage to do so, on normal difficulty at 60 FPS, it takes 5/6ths of a second to kill a Vagary with the chainsaw.
So if you upped the game to VR mode, which runs at 120 FPS, doesn't that mean that you'd effectively double the damage? That's pretty crazy.

By the way, I'm going to be moving over the weekend, so updates are going to slow down for a little bit as I'm getting everything packed up and then setting everything back up on the other end. I'll try to get an update in on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

It's possible; the OG guide is for the 2003 version of the game, after all, and doesn't get to peek under the hood for BFG edition; I'd not be surprised if the chainsaw got nerfed to 'on tick' damage like the other hitscan weapons.

Huh. So this is what Doom would look like if it wanted to be Half-Life. Game itself looks eh, but I'm enjoying the LP.

I remember actually being kind of unsettled about the Berserk when I picked it up. Granted I was much younger but it was more otherworldly then a power up.

Never apologize for chainsaw.

So, bad news. It would appear that my gaming PC might have gotten something shook around while I was moving, as it's causing the right side of my headphones to emit painful static. This is going to delay the next update while I'm troubleshooting this. I apologize for the wait, but I hope to get something out before the end of the week.

Take your time; best-case scenario, you just have to re-seat the contacts inside the case and everything'll be hunky-dory.

I wish you the best of fortunes in your PC repair!

I'm back! And this level is...oh boy...

Part 11: Communications

I'm sorry for how negative I am in this video, but I get this feeling like...okay, Half-Life 1 and 2 frequently had a sequence where you'd be blocked by some door or other, so you'd have to go through this death course brimming with monsters where you'd run and jump over seemingly hundreds of feet of obstacles, only to then emerge at the other side of that door, having actually traveled less than five feet in the long run. And you'd get to thinking, if Gordon Freeman had maybe tried a little bit harder, you'd have managed to save yourself 10-20 minutes of your life. That's what Communications feels like for me.

Hitscan enemies being among the most annoying in the game has a proud tradition within the Doom series too: many, many WADS for Doom 2 had their difficulty - and frustration - artificially inflated by spamming the hell out of chaingunners, usually in impossible-to-reach positions.

Oh, and welcome back! Glad to see the LP going again.

Mopey Dick wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:06 am
Hitscan enemies being among the most annoying in the game has a proud tradition within the Doom series too: many, many WADS for Doom 2 had their difficulty - and frustration - artificially inflated by spamming the hell out of chaingunners, usually in impossible-to-reach positions.
Well, thankfully, this next level has no hitscanners whatsoever.

There's something worse.

Part 12: Monorail Skybridge

The Monorail Skybridge/Recycling Sector 1 is a real gem of a level your first time through because it throws enemies at you from basically every conceivable angle. I rather like it, and as I mention in the video, in my test run, I ended up going a long stretch between health pickups where I was down in the single digits. Sadly, I did a bit better in the take where I was actually recording. Them's the breaks, I guess.

Also, watch out for another occasion where an enemy seemingly glitches from place to place. I don't know if my recording software is causing issues or if it's just BFG Edition being butts.

e: Also also, you might notice that a couple minutes in, my voice suddenly shifts in volume and general tone. I had a problem with the first audio recording and had to do a fairly obvious second take. My apologies.

Speaking of stressing the player out: https://i.imgur.com/vE4o6nC.jpg

Shotgun please :gonk:

I think given the flak Doom 3 was given for monster closets and ambushes from picking stuff up in general making even more of the game do that probably wouldn't have helped.

Also Maintenance feels like a send-up of a lot of conventions that video games, especially those in the era of the original Dooms, have. Random green go, steam everywhere for no reason, rocket launchers in random places just because its time to have rocket launchers. Even video narrator guy doesn't know what's going on.

Part 13: Recycling Sector

Yes, I know, I just posted an update yesterday. It was a nice day today too, so I figured why not.

Our little detour through the recycling plant concludes with a re-introduction to another Doom 2 enemy in addition to a different enemy that's wholly original. It seemed like around that time, a lot of horror properties were weaponizing tykes of all ages, probably for shock value. But considering the long list of games with child monsters since then, it's sort of lost its teeth, so to speak.

Also, we finally learn who the mastermind is behind the invasion. It may surprise you, but probably not.

Oh man, I completely forgot that Cherubs existed. Creativity-wise they're on par with the spiders - except now it's not going for phobias but cheap shock. Either way, it's shitty art direction.

e: On the plus side, I really like the mancubus design, those little face-tentacles give them almost a comical touch.

Part 14: Monorail

Hooray! We get to ride the train! Let's see how long that lasts.

There's actually not much else to say about Monorail. You stop at a platform, you get off, you fight some monsters, you unlock the next section of track. The only reason we had to do the previous two levels was because a bridge collapsed leading here. So overall, you can dump Recycling 1 and 2 and the Monorail and the only thing you'd miss out on is the reveal of the big bad guy, which you could plop down anywhere. Not that I'm complaining too much. These levels are pretty fun.

'Deactivate Weapon Turrents'

Nice typo, devs.

This is the first time I've seen a LP of Doom 3, and it's kinda sad to see that many of my complaints about Doom 2016 are alive and well for this game as well. In particular, how anemic the guns sound and feel. The SMG is okay for an SMG, but there's no oomph or weight to the plasma gun, rocket launcher, or chaingun.

Cythereal wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:59 pm
This is the first time I've seen a LP of Doom 3, and it's kinda sad to see that many of my complaints about Doom 2016 are alive and well for this game as well. In particular, how anemic the guns sound and feel. The SMG is okay for an SMG, but there's no oomph or weight to the plasma gun, rocket launcher, or chaingun.
This, I will admit, and it was a complaint players had back in 2004. Quite a few of the mods that originated back then were to punch up the weapons in various ways, by enhancing the sounds or making the effects flashier or even changing their behavior entirely. I should do a mod showcase at some point, because the original release had a really active modding community. It'd be fun to show these off.

Engineering can't fix that crash, but engineering also designed a monorail with several moving doors that one malfunction would cause a catastrophic crash in the first place sooooo.....

Part 15: Delta Labs 1

Delta Labs is where everything went down, and subsequently, where most of the story occurs. Not in this level though. We're just getting the lights back on. I try something a little new in this episode, and I'm not entirely sure that I did it correctly, but it's always worth trying something, even if you fail.

Unless it's operating experimental machinery that could cause demons to enter our world. You might want to hire someone qualified for that.

Part 16: Delta Labs 2a

Delta Labs Sector 2 is where the teleportation experiments began, and as a result, our goal is to power up a prototype device that will take us to the other end of a large room, a feat that could have equally been accomplished by a catapult or a mid-sized bridge. But, as we'll see in later levels, the UAC upped their teleporter game quite considerably over this version.

Oh also, we find the BFG and stuff. Nothing important.

What a pleasant method of transportation. Intestinal hellscape.

Do we ever come back this way? Because if so, I fully expect to see that guy gibbed.

Part 17: Delta Labs 2b

Until I discovered how to extract audio files from this game, I'd never really heard Ian McCormick's audio tape in full, and now that I have, I can safely say that he is the most naive dummy in the history of the UAC. I'm not sure whether to pity him or laugh in his face.

As far as Delta 2b goes, its only gimmick is another variation on the "run through a dark maze" concept, bookended by multiple encounters with the most dreaded of Doom 2 enemies, even more so than the Chaingunners. It's not a long level by any means. If I wasn't busy staring at viewscreens, I could do it in 10-15 minutes easily. We won't be so lucky with the next one. This will require a lot of editing...

I imagine part of the point of all the zombies in early Delta is to emphasize the "Zombies are people!!" aspect but we also already knew that. Plus its Doom and we have guns, are we NOT going to shoot zombies?

I'd be surprised if the devs thought that far, to be honest.

Yeah, as much as I'm trying to ascribe some kind of moral or thought exercise to this game, it is ultimately just about fighting monsters. If anything, I think that sequence with the zombies was meant to just be cheap horror and you're not supposed to find the monsters pitiable. More like, "Oh no, the scary monsters are going to break out and attack me!" or something thereabouts.

e: Oh by the way, I've got the next update recorded. Expect to see it sometime later today.

Part 18: Delta Labs 3+4

(I like the flavor text here, as if you had lines of people waiting for their turn to go on joyrides in the teleporter)

And here we go. The last of the Delta Lab sectors, and what would possibly be considered the end of Act 2. Another boss, some real face time with Betruger, and a whole lot of flights through meatspace. Delta Labs 4, even if you take your time and bask in the colorful graffiti, can be resolved in a handful of minutes, so I just folded it up into Delta 3. We are 2/3 of the way through the game, and the last third is going to ramp things up even further.

Yes, by the way, there IS a PDA in Delta 4, but it's uninteresting and just gives a locker code that you can see on a computer, so I ignored it.

I'm disappointed you never see the staring eyes referenced in the logs when you use the teleports.
Mopey Dick wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:38 pm
I'd be surprised if the devs thought that far, to be honest.
It's not exactly that far to think. They thought about Betruger's name after all.

I appreciate how you handled both the lead up to and the boss fight itself, especially the commentary. Also that you pulled out your fists just before the video ended.

Shei-kun wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:45 am
I appreciate how you handled both the lead up to and the boss fight itself, especially the commentary. Also that you pulled out your fists just before the video ended.
Yeah, it wasn't me that did that...

Part 19: Y'know, that place

The land of eternal pain and torment, lair of demons and tormented souls, with creatures too great and terrible to even be gazed upon...and it's basically just a haunted house ride. Cripes, do we need to get American McGee back in here to show the folks at Id Software what horror looks like?

I mean, yes, if you were a hapless researcher and not a refrigerator with a dozen guns, it would be unsettling to have monsters roaming around a giant morphing castle, but this is meant to be a place that warps people's minds and leaves them gibbering wrecks. My mind is not feeling warped over here. And worse, this is the only level where we get to hang out with the demons, so we don't even get a chance to get a feel for the place before we're rushed along right back to Mars. I wanted more of this, more chaotic architecture that would keep the player guessing where things could be coming from, and I was left feeling disappointed and a little sad.

Rant over, let's get into the fundamentals. Yes, the game does take away your guns and (in Doom 3) your flashlight. In fact, almost everything we earn in this level will be gone by the next one too. This game's pulling a hard reset on us for a very good reason. I'll explain once we're back in familiar territory.

I remember liking this level a lot back in the day, but yeah, in today's perspective it is just small and underhwelming. They really should have done more with it.

e: Now that I think of it, this game's take on Hell really reminds me of Oneiros in Clive Barker's Undying. Except Oneiros used that shifting architecture for puzzles. And platforming. And fun.

Mopey Dick wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:19 pm
I remember liking this level a lot back in the day, but yeah, in today's perspective it is just small and underhwelming. They really should have done more with it.

e: Now that I think of it, this game's take on Hell really reminds me of Oneiros in Clive Barker's Undying. Except Oneiros used that shifting architecture for puzzles. And platforming. And fun.
Mmhm. I also namedropped American McGee because there's some really interesting stuff done in American McGee's Alice with shifting terrain and creating a surreal nightmare world. If they did stuff like that for this level, that would have been really cool.

Part 20: Delta Complex

Ignore what the picture says. There is no Sector 5 in Delta Labs. That's just the BFG Edition being dumb again. We're traversing Delta Labs 1-4 in reverse order, and the original Doom 3 called this level Delta Complex, so I'm going with that instead.

But that's irrelevant. What IS important is that the star of the show has arrived! The Soul Cube is one of the few original ideas in this game, and it's the closest to a Doom 2016/Eternal powerup as we're going to get. Its sheer presence fundamentally alters how we're going to approach battles in the future, and that's good! It means that these final few chapters of the game are going to be fresh and unique, especially since they took our guns. Again.

So is there a visual difference between trites and ticks? Ticks have a darker head color, maybe?
Really can't tell from the video and having differently attacking enemies that are hard to differentiate from each other at a glance is an FPS design crime.

So...Ticks vs Trites...

Visually, they look gray and have a thinner appearance, more in line with an arachnid, while Trites are browner and look like an inverted head with thicker legs. They make more traditional spider-like squeaks instead of hissing, and they can leap a little farther, but otherwise their AI and health are identical. Oh, and Ticks do the demonic disintegration thing instead of splatting like Trites.

If I had to guess, Ticks were the initial, more spider-like design and then someone on staff was like, "Hey, you remember that one scene from the Thing?" I'm not sure what other reason they'd have for two effectively cloned enemies.

Well, good to see that hell in this game is as bland and boring as it is in 2016.

First time I played Doom 3 I remember somehow not really "getting" the Soul Cube so I only barely used it. It made some of these parts quite annoying! I don't know what young stupid me missed.