Where there's a whip there's a way: Castlevania Lords of Shadow MEGATHREAD! (THREAD COMPLETE!)

An archival space for the threads that made it.
theenglishman wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Commander Keene wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:05 pm
I'm betting that, since Gabriel is Dracula, Alucard is Trevor. It would make Alucard Drac's son, and bring a whole new level of drama to the whole family triangle.
You may indeed be on to something there. The question remains, though: how exactly will the details of Alucard's powers affect his relationship with his father? If Trevor is indeed Alucard, don't forget that he was born one year before Gabriel was turned - so what happened in the interim, and if Trevor was turned, how?
Trevor was turned when he went to go fight Drac. Gabriel won, he turns Trevor, maybe even finds out Trevor is his son somewhere along the way.

Commander Keene wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:06 pm
theenglishman wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Commander Keene wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:05 pm
I'm betting that, since Gabriel is Dracula, Alucard is Trevor. It would make Alucard Drac's son, and bring a whole new level of drama to the whole family triangle.
You may indeed be on to something there. The question remains, though: how exactly will the details of Alucard's powers affect his relationship with his father? If Trevor is indeed Alucard, don't forget that he was born one year before Gabriel was turned - so what happened in the interim, and if Trevor was turned, how?
Trevor was turned when he went to go fight Drac. Gabriel won, he turns Trevor, maybe even finds out Trevor is his son somewhere along the way.
Your theory is surprisingly close to how things play out in the game!

Anyway, time for some non-spoiler text - we've recorded up to video six (of nine, three for each act in the game) so things are moving along quite smoothly. I should be able to properly update the Travel Book later this evening, so stay tuned to that post below the Mirror of Fate OP for updates!

Act 2 begins with a new player character, new weapons, and a new perspective on some old story beats.

ImageImage

I'm surprised you guys didn't comment on that amazing high quality fire texture coming out of that block.

I just caught up with videos and that was the first time I watched a full play-through of Lords of Shadows. I will be looking forward to seeing the rest of this series of games.

And now I am nostalgic for Alucard in Symphony of the Night. Polished, refined, has a nice shirt. And some humor.

What a waste of a good character.

Kacie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:27 am
And now I am nostalgic for Alucard in Symphony of the Night. Polished, refined, has a nice shirt. And some humor.

What a waste of a good character.
Without spoiling anything, I will say that this version of Alucard gets redeemed in Lords of Shadow 2, mostly.

The cutscene animation continues to be amazing, and we play through the first of multiple clock tower levels :ohdear:.

ImageImage

The face of the wolf form looks like something from Berserk.

Not gonna lie, kinda waiting for this game to finally be over. What I don't get is how stupidly simplistic all the mechanics seem to be - there's a tradition of very good handheld Castlevania games that ran on much weaker hardware. Like, seriously, walljumping on designated walls only? In a genre that's defined by gradually unlocking traversal options?
That''s gotta be some sort of a design crime.

Mopey Dick wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Not gonna lie, kinda waiting for this game to finally be over. What I don't get is how stupidly simplistic all the mechanics seem to be - there's a tradition of very good handheld Castlevania games that ran on much weaker hardware. Like, seriously, walljumping on designated walls only? In a genre that's defined by gradually unlocking traversal options?
That''s gotta be some sort of a design crime.
Well there is some good news - the next video has the best boss fight in the game.

I still cannot get over that fucking spider ball track magnet rail.

The magnetic rail continues to be the funniest thing ever, and we fight the best boss in the whole damn game. Seriously, it's really good.

ImageImage

That pained held breath at the end by pdPreciousRoy said it all. Or rather, let me imagine all the things one might say at that junction.

This game.

There are frames that are beautiful, and then the rest of the game happens. That fight with Dracula was neat, and the whole exchange ought to have been tense and impactful, but those facial expressions. This game is a painful study in what could have been and what we got.

So glad I did not pick this up for the 3DS. Thanks for suffering on our behalf.

I've only just noticed Alucard wears high heels.

I know what you're thinking. We fucking stabbed Dracula right in the heart. How are there three videos left in this LP?

The answer, my friends, is blowing in the wind dumb, silly, and just a little bit intriguing.

Also, Act 3 definitely has the best gameplay of the three acts. I wouldn't say the destination was worth the journey, but at least this game will end on a high note.

ImageImage

Trevor's portrait kinda reminds me of character art from Warcraft 3. Specifically the Blood Elves.

They really do a lot of "Castle AAARGH" death message writing in this game, don't they? Like in the first it seemed a little ridiculous that someone would sit down in the middle of a death-swamp or a vampire's castle to write out their memoirs, but they just go full ham in Mirror of Fate and have everyone writing in their diaries during pitched battles or dangling off the edge of a cliff.

I honestly thought you edited that scream at the end into the video for a second. It was that out-of-place.

I'm stunned - that boss fight was really cool. That would have been an awesome way to first break into the Castle.

They definitely designed Alucard first and backed that into Trevor's design. That said, I like Trevor's motions best of the three protagonists. Also, sweet coat.

I wish one found the messages before you meet the topic of the letter, instead of afterwards. Foreshadowing would at least give them a point.

Sypha going "don't touch that, you'll put your eye out" and young Simon pouting that he can't play with the Combat Cross is the best part of that video, though.

Haven't been able to catch up on videos until today due to moving house, but that Dracula fight was pretty nice. Definitely looking forward to the redemption of Alucard in LoS 2, he seems pretty meh in this game.

Content Warning: Contains discussions of Anne Rice novels.

ImageImage

As we're getting near to (what I assume will be) the end, it becomes way too apparent this story really doesn't get the concept of raising stakes. In LoS, at this point we'd be trawling desolate, unearthly landscapes in search of the final Lord - and even in a classic Castlevania which doesn't have much story focus (not an excuse that applies here given the amount of cutscenes), getting closer and closer to Dracula would be reflected in more imposing area and enemy design. Mirror of Fate, it's just hunchbacks all the way down.

Mopey Dick wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:21 pm
As we're getting near to (what I assume will be) the end, it becomes way too apparent this story really doesn't get the concept of raising stakes. In LoS, at this point we'd be trawling desolate, unearthly landscapes in search of the final Lord - and even in a classic Castlevania which doesn't have much story focus (not an excuse that applies here given the amount of cutscenes), getting closer and closer to Dracula would be reflected in more imposing area and enemy design. Mirror of Fate, it's just hunchbacks all the way down.
Mirror of Fate suffers from classic interquel story syndrome. The end of LOS1 already established the raising of stakes pretty nicely - in the modern day, the acolytes of Satan will attempt to resurrect him, and Zobek asks Dracula for his help in stopping him. The plot is essentially killing time until that happens. There are a few key plot points in MOF that are important to keep in mind for the next game, but it does a really bad job establishing what those are, especially since one of them is hidden behind the 100% ending.

Here we go, the final episode of the nadir of this franchise. At least the final boss is pretty good.

There will be a short break in between games, as the three of us get our real-life schedules in order to record again, but rest assured, Lords of Shadow 2 is coming soon!

ImageImage

I mean, maybe the reason Gabriel needed to drain so much blood from Laura was because he needed to go into the chaos realm right now, whereas Gabriel only needed a tiny bit of blood from his wrist to turn Trevor because he was content to wait? If we assume that Alucard waking up in his chapter is the first time he's been up since he was turned (and the game does seem to imply that), then it took him a good twenty years or so to fully turn. And it's not like Drac was going anywhere in that amount of time.

Wow. What a wet fart of a finale.
It really irks that they went from the spectacle and art direction of LoS to... this thing.

Now we move on to LoS 2. It can't be any worse... right? :ohdear:

LoS 2 is a Trip. It's magical and stupid in equal measure, and I fully expect punch-drunk laughter to outpace actual commentary within about eight minutes of the game starting.

Salted Grump wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:12 am
LoS 2 is a Trip. It's magical and stupid in equal measure, and I fully expect punch-drunk laughter to outpace actual commentary within about eight minutes of the game starting.
Oh yeah, I can't fucking wait. If Roy and Chaos aren't laughing by the time Gabriel starts vomiting gallons of blood to clog up the Siege Titan's gears I will be very disappointed.

theenglishman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:36 am
Content Warning: Contains discussions of Anne Rice novels.

ImageImage

Literature acquired.

I sincerely hope you tear through those and highlight the dumbest parts to read for later videos. :magical:

theenglishman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:43 pm
Salted Grump wrote:
Oh yeah, I can't fucking wait. If Roy and Chaos aren't laughing by the time Gabriel starts vomiting gallons of blood to clog up the Siege Titan's gears I will be very disappointed.
I was not prepared. I was not prepared.

ChaosArgate wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:50 pm
theenglishman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:43 pm
Salted Grump wrote:
I was not prepared. I was not prepared.
There's gonna be a shitload of "just why?" moments in this. I can feel it.

Since the Lords of Shadow 2 LP won't be ready for another week or two (I want to build up a sufficient backlog), here's a sneak preview to peak your interest.

Really looking forward to that one, what little I remember of LoS 2 is hilarious. Also horrible stealth sections.

...There really should be more games where you play as Dracula.
Last edited by Mopey Dick on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UPDATE: Lords of Shadow 2 should hopefully start sometime this week, or early next week at the absolute latest. I have the OP and the first version of the lore post ready to go, as well as the first full update. Once Roy, Chaos and I have three or four full updates recorded, I'll be comfortable enough with the backlog to restart the thread.

"By God, of course, he's referring to IGA."

:allears:

Mopey Dick wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:37 pm
Really looking forward to that one, what little I remember of LoS 2 is hilarious. Also horrible stealth sections.
I don't mind the rat stealth sections to be honest, but I agree that the stealth sections where you have to play as Dracula are awful. Somehow, the boss fights that implement stealth (like Carmilla and Agreus, though I know that one in particular is especially love-it-or-hate-it) are among my favourites.

Dead and Loving It — Let's Play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2!

WARNING!
This OP contains massive spoilers for prior two games in this megathread, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD. DO NOT READ THIS until you've read those! Click here (for LOS1) or here (for MOFHD).

Also, NO UNTAGGED SPOILERS past what's been uploaded!

(thanks to Fionordequester for helping to edit the OP!)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is the first proper sequel of the rebooted Castlevania franchise, developed by MercurySteam (Kojima Productions were not involved this time, as they were kind of busy). It was released on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 in 2014. It wasn't intended as the end of Gabriel's story, but its ending has enough closure to serve as a grand finale. This proved convenient, as its sales were strong, but not good enough for Konami, who were quickly losing interest in console and PC games.

This title is controversial for both its gameplay and story, as well as an absolutely nightmarish development (which we will talk about; surprisingly, it's not Konami's fault this time!). I still like this game, warts and all, and we'll be discussing why. Roy and I will be joined once again by ChaosArgate, and I'll be playing on the hardest difficulty a New Game allows with 100% completion. We'll also be playing through the DLC campaign Revelations; I can't say much more without spoiling the ending, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The PC version of Lords of Shadow 2 came out the same day as on consoles in North America, so there's no special edition this time. That said, the PC version is still very good. Apparently there were some performance issues back in 2014, but these days you should be able to run it just fine, even with the HD texture pack and particle effects.

After a brief prologue in the 16th century, the story jumps forward to about where the first game's post-credits scene ended. Gabriel, as Dracula, has suffered greatly over the past 900 years. He wants a way to end his life, and his old friend Zobek, Lord of the Dead, offers to do just that...in exchange for a favor. Satan is planning his return with the help of his human offspring ("acolytes"), and Zobek needs Dracula to stop him before Satan can exact his horrible vengeance.

Fans and critics called this game a disappointing finale. I'm a little kinder to it, but it's definitely flawed. There were gameplay changes that proved divisive, and the game fails to give any dramatic weight or closure. For me at least, I love just how poor the dramatic moments are; the modern day sections in particular are glorious ham and cheese, and I can't get enough of that shit.

Gameplay-wise, Lords of Shadow 2 brings back the character-action combat from the first game, expanding it in some places and streamlining in others, with dozens of improvements both large and small (boss fights in particular are a highlight). Gabriel can move faster and kill more easily, sub-weapons have been completely overhauled, and his weapons actually change according to whether he's using Light or Shadow Magic (as opposed to strengthening his whip like in the last game). Also, the level design is a 3D Metroidvania with action setpieces, instead of a mission select with Zobek's narration. The game also has an interesting twist on the "dual worlds" gimmick, as well as other (more notorious) additions. Those of you who played the game know what I'm talking about; if you haven't...well, you'll see.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Last edited by theenglishman on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Here, I will be posting updates to lore, such as new characters, items, and enemies.

Agreus
Voiced by: Aleksandar Mikic

"I have waited for this moment for a long time. Now my wait is over." — Agreus
The Travel Book wrote:When Gabriel defeated the great Pan, he never imagined that he had altered the natural balance of the world irreversibly. Two mystical spirits: Pan, and his dark brother Agreus maintain the order of life between the species on the planet. So when one dies, the other would drag the weight of nature with him, bringing drastic changes to all his creatures.

Ailing and mad due to the death of his brother, Agreus unleashed chaos and famine in his wake. Crops no longer grew, entire cities were devastated by the plague and wild beasts devoured each other.

Exhausted, the dark faun retired to his secret garden to plan the most cruel revenge against his brother's killer.

Carmilla
Voiced by: Sally Knyvette
"I'm yours now... Do with me what you will." — Carmilla
The Travel Book wrote:Gabriel's profound transformation has caused memories of Carmilla to return to his mind and unleash the dreams that the attractive vamp had awakened in him. However, the intentions of the femme fatale have not changed, and they continue to guide the actions of the warrior to his doom.

The fervent desire to share all eternity with her prince has always been her obsession, and it has ended up poisoning her sweet blood. In a perverse game, she attempts to cloud his judgement, beating him until his will is broken, and delivering him to his most primal temptation. Unfortunately for her, the heart she is trying to control has belonged to another woman for many centuries.

Chupacabra
Voiced by: Matthew Clancy

"Damned duck-billed platypus! Don't run off with my #&#%# books! Bring back my stuff, you macrocephalic baboon! And don't you ever come back!" — Master Librarian
The Travel Book wrote:It had always been thought that the Chupacabras was a sort of blood sucking monster, until later research showed that they were more like mischievous forest creatures that played with the belongings of gullible travelers. However, that latter assertion was not entirely true either. In fact, there are not many Chupacabras, rather it is a single immortal being that has roamed completely free from time immemorial, causing confusion around the world. Its incredible wisdom is only comparable to the originality of its mischief and the value of the relic it carries in its backpack.

In its final years, it followed Dracula who, tired of its jokes, locked it up in the deepest dungeon, depriving it of continuing the business established in the castle.
Dracula / Gabriel Belmont
Voiced by: Robert Carlyle

"That's why the power of your God cannot destroy me...because I am His chosen one!" — Dracula
The Travel Book wrote:Not even his descendants, the Belmonts, nor the innumerable army of the Brotherhood of Light have even come close to annihilating him. He is Dracul, the Dragon; an immortal being whose cursed soul is condemned to remain trapped in the body of the vampire, bound to his castle for all eternity.

From the beginning, the unbearable yearning for revenge has driven him along the path of ire and destruction, a path of infinite suffering and despair, a road that he would now like to leave behind.

The Gorgons (Stheno, Euralye and Medusa)
Voiced by: Mimi Keene

"When I arrived here, I envied the dead. Now my entrails feed the little girl. I die happy, with the pride of a father who feeds his children." — Ledorinian, Brotherhood soldier
The Travel Book wrote:An ancient legend about the destruction of the empire of Agharia describes how, during the fall of the ancestral gods, three sisters managed to escape the jaws of death, hiding forever in the depths of the Earth. The shadows corrupted their hearts and withered their innocence, retaining only their youth as a mask that covers their macabre secret.

Unaware of the changing world looming over them, they have prospered, obsessed with staying together until the arrival of the end of all time.

Boss Form: Gorgon

"When he thought all was lost, the warrior trapped the beast in ice and broke through its protection with the heat of the torch..." — Master Librarian

When the blood possessed the three girls, their obsession became real, dragging and tying them together to weave a huge three-headed creature. A set of waving tentacles extended from its body, covering everything it passes, constricting the rock and choking out the beams of light that filtered across the surface. The beast is described in ancient scrolls with the name of the great Gorgon. It is a being with magic pouring forth from its eyes, capable of turning anyone who views it into stone, with a hard skin that reveals its faces and sensitive tentacles as its only weak points. Only he who learns to use the power of the elements against it will unlock the secret of fire hidden in its heart.

Inner Dracula
Voiced by: Robert Carlyle
"I am the blood that runs through your veins... I am the dark shadow that chills the hearts of men as you pass... I am your fury, your hate, and your vengeance... I am your destiny." — Inner Dracula
[quote="The Travel Book"]From the arrival of the first night, the curse of the vampire has corrupted the hearts of the creatures of darkness, tempting them with supernatural powers and subjecting them to their twisted will. The dark blood has prospered for generations and now runs through the veins of the Prince of Darkness, filling each of his actions with ire, hate and vengeance.

There is nothing stronger than its influence, except for Dracula's love for his son. It is the last pure emotion he has; his only guide in a world that is falling apart with each step. Defending it means rebelling against his own nature and facing the darkest side of his being. It is a diabolical image of himself that has been fed by Gabriel's enormous resentment of God.

Leaving the body and showing its abominable shape, the cursed blood faces its host in an unprecedented fight that will define his own fate and that of his family.
[/quote]

Raisa Volkova

Voiced by: Alex Childs
"I promise, I'll be short and sweet." — Raisa Volkova
The Travel Book wrote: The director of the Bioquimek laboratory is an aggressive, unscrupulous woman who is capable of hiding her true appearance from human eyes. Only the beasts of the night can see her for what she really is: a twisted reptilian creature that is as intelligent as she is dangerous.

During ten long years dedicated to perfecting the demonic virus, she has kidnapped humans, experimented on them, and corrupted each of their cells to turn them into soldiers worthy of Satan.

In battle, she can conduct electricity and move fiendishly fast, even beyond the scope of Dracula's vampiric perception. Only extreme cold can stop her and keep her mind intact for Zobek, who wants to rip the secrets of Satan's acolytes from inside her.

TRUE FORM: Volkova, Satan's daughter

To the surprise of both Zobek and Dracula, Volkova revealed herself as Satan's first acolyte. She is a giant beast that looks like a winged sphinx with a mouth that extends through her neck and sides, opening into a grotesque orifice lined with teeth that divides her torso in two.

The feminine form that she no longer retains is nothing more than a vesigial hint at her past, confusing her prey as much as the demonic eyes on her wings.

As the daughter of Satan, she wants to earn her father's pride and that he recognize her value over all her other siblings. What better way to do that than to devour her two biggest enemies in a single bite?

Roland de Ronceval, Paladin of the Brotherhood of Light
Voiced by: Stephen Hughes

"Tonight will be your last, Prince of Darkness!" — Roland de Ronceval

"I was like you once. But your God showed me another path." — Dracula

The Travel Book wrote:Those who aspire to be paladins are raised in monastaries, educated under the dogma of faith and trained in the art of war. Their whole life becomes a test in which any mistake, as insignificant as it may be, leads to the complete failure of their mission. Only the purest heart, capable of showing absolute determination and an unswerving faith, will be recognized as God's chosen one.

Beyond receiving the admiration of all and the favor of the council of the Brotherhood of Light, the paladins are rewarded with weapons and armor of gold, forged by the best master blacksmiths from angel bones. Their aim from then until the end of their days is to serve God in the battle against the offspring of evil and guide their troops to victory.

The Toy Maker
Voiced by: Mark Lewis Healy

"Your face seems oddly familiar. I'm just a little confused, you see. I suppose my memory will return in time." — Toy Maker
The Travel Book wrote:Gandolfi's most outstanding pupil, love and admired for his magnificent toys, was fooled by the evil Walter Bernhard. A prisoner in his castle and victim of a demonic curse, the Toy Maker has never stopped making tools of suffering and animating the bodies of the dead for hundreds of years.

One day, one of his puppets moved him deeply to the point where he wanted to give it his own heart. He gave that small wooden boy, whom he loved like a son, the only organ that had not been corrupted, on the condition that he protect if from the darkness looming over the rest of his being. His body remained in a glass coffin, forgotten by all except his loyal puppets, who still await his return.

Mysterious Boy / Trevor Belmont
Voiced by: Stuart Campbell (child), Richard Madden (adult)

"You'll pay for what you did to me and my Mother!" — Trevor Belmont
The Travel Book wrote:The reflection of the innocent boy, which the Mirror of Fate showed to Dracula, returns to the mind of his repentant father as penance for having condemned him to suffer the eternal curse of the vampire.

The moments that he never shared with his first born came to life now, as broken fragments of his memory, pitting light against shadow in his dark memories.

Zobek, Lord of the Dead
Voiced by: Sir Patrick Stewart

"You can have the eternal rest you so crave after all. Bet first you must help me stop Satan from returning to the World. And for that, this is my promise to you, old friend." — Zobek
The Travel Book wrote:Zobek was, together with Carmilla and Cornell, one of the old founders of the Brotherhood of Light who answered the call of God, leaving their darkest being on the earth. The Lord of the Dead, however, despite his absolute mastery of necromanic magic, could do nothing against the supremacy of Satan, and his existence was relegated to the kingdom of the lifeless. Exhausted and humiliated, he remained hidden for an era, watching over the world of men through his countless spies, extending his influence and preparing his return.

When he learned that the power of Dracula had weakened enough and that the arrival of Satan was near, Zobek materialized once again on Earth. He left behind the arrogance of his past to take on the role of an influential businessman, and he blended in directly with society, up to the present.

Zobek's Lieutenant
Voiced by: ??? (it's a big spoiler!)

"..." — Zobek's Lieutenant
The Travel Book wrote:No one knows the identity of the man accompanying the astute Zobek in his crusade for power. It is rumored that he wears armor forged from metal extracted from the abyss and that he adeptly brandishes a mystical sword by the name of "Masamune," capable of going beyond the material realm.

Some records indicate that he is the spirit of a damned general; others that he is a demon that must pay a debt to Death. However, the most popular story is the one that classifies him as a result of the necromanic reanimation of a legendary warrior. After all, it would not be the first time that Zobek used witchcraft to create a powerful armed guard...

Abaddon
"His heart, swollen by the power and hatred bestowed upon him by his master, is his only weak point." — Master Librarian
The Travel Book wrote:Once the resurgence of Satan became imminent, Abaddon broke open the gates of the abyss to enable its hordes to pass into the world of men.

Nicknamed "the destroyer" because of his brutal size and his obsession with destroying everything in his path, he commands his armies by instilling in them the same terror as he instills in his enemies.

The book of the demons tells his story with runes of fire: "he was once an angel under the orders of God who, corrupted by the promises of Satan, betrayed his own and gave up his wings".

His new master kept his word and gave him an unmatched ability to destroy his enemies. However, in exchange, he sacrificed every last hint of humanity he might have had in his body and soul.

Since then, there is no structure known to contain his fury, nor warrior foolish enough to face him.

Bioquimek Scientist
Voiced by: Gunnar Cauthery, Mark Lewis Jones, Matthew Clancy
"The tests on primates have revealed a chaotic mutation of the tissue. Once we have stabilized it, we will begin to inoculate human subjects." — Wolfgang Gerhard, Bioquimek Executive
The Travel Book wrote:Cloning, biological weapons, genetic mutation and biomechanical upgrades are some of the great achievements of the modern era. To attain them, Bioquimek scientists have challenged God directly, deforming his creation with arrogance and pride.

Breaking the laws of nature or overstepping the bounds of ethics in their search for sucess and power mean little to them. However, what they have actually found is a life of slavery and torment under the orders of Satan's acolytes.

It's too late to repent. Now, on the brink of the end of the world, mankind will pay for its irresponsibility.

Bloody Skeleton
"Nothing can be done in the fight against the fluid except to dissolve it with hits or freeze it and split it into thousands of frozen particles." — Master Librarian
The Travel Book wrote:The souls of the skeleton warriors, which Gabriel battled in the past, left their bodies in the material world. Free of the spell of the Toy Maker, their bones have become the tempting target of the cursed blood, which invades and controls them as if they were puppets. Their meatless bodies wrapped in plasma carry their rusty weapons to attack their lord once more. No thought is held in their empty skulls other than the urge to run Dracula out of their dominion.

Brotherhood Cleric
"Fight without fear, brothers! God will guide your swords to the hearts of the beasts!" — Agustin of Wygol, High Inquisitor of the Brotherhood
The Travel Book wrote:Protected inside their churches and cathedrals, the brotherhood clerics limited themselves to praying for the lives of their brothers sent into battle. However, the growing threat to their borders had awakened the bellicose nature of the members of the school founded by Cardinal Volpe in less fateful times.

After years dedicated to the study and worship of the divine word, they have gained the favor of God as the catalysts of their own holy power. Through their scepters, they materialize their faith in ways as different as calming the nerves of their allies, launching powerful exorcisms against impious creatures and even invoking replacement troops who will await their call.

Brotherhood Soldier
"Follow me, brothers! For if you do, you will meet a death more honorable than any you could imagine." — Cardinal Vicus, Grandmaster of the Brotherhood
The Travel Book wrote:The boys who prove that they are skilled enough with the sword are recruited by the Brotherhood of Light in their campaign against the forces of evil.

The tough physical and mental training they are given makes them very efficient in close combat, providing them with iron-clad determination. However, if their willpower is not enough they wear full armor and carry large shields to protect their lives instead. As lower ranking members, the brother hood soldiers are sent to their deaths by their generals with the sole hope of offering them a better fate than their own.

Brotherhood Warrior (Heavy)
"Hurry up! I want to decorate my shield with vampire blood." — Grandmaster Quisada, Brotherhood General
The Travel Book wrote:When the great werewolves and wargs drastically reduced the ranks of their armies, the wise men of the Brotherhood of Light understood that their style of battle had become obsolete against these enormous creatures. As a solution, they decided to study the hunting techniques of the Wallachia tribes and adapt them to create a new discipline of heavy combat.

The warriors chosen to join this new school, mostly criminals and ex-convicts, had to be over two meters tall and prove a clear aptitude for violence.

Despite the refusal of the most traditional commanders, the heavy warriors ended up becoming a key part of the brotherhood's war machinery.

Dishonoured Vampire
"You're not our Lord anymore!" — Dishonoured Vampire
The Travel Book wrote:Following the fall of Dracula at the hands of the first Belmonts, the vampire knights lost their blood bond and went mad, victims of their own perversion. They cast aside their noble appearance and once again enjoyed the primal pleasures that came from the meat of pests, returning to the beastly appearance that they shared in bygone times.

Finally, with the resurgence of the prince, they came back from their corruption and bowed once more before their lord. They yanked off their wings as penance for their degradation, and they forged monstrous weapons with which to expand their vampiric powers.

The solemn oath to defend the castle from intruders became their sole mission for the rest of eternity. Only the cursed blood of Dracula is influential enough to sway them from their objective.

Dungeon Minion
"You need no fear pain if you give it out first..." — Dracula
The Travel Book wrote:It wasn't long after Dracula's rise to power that the first humans, from nearby regions, paid homage and swore allegiance to the Prince of Darkness. In exchange for their pathetic lives, they agreed to kill anyone who did not join the cause, whether stranger, acquaintance or relative. With each murder they committed, their bodies transformed gradually into that of a foul beast, as if it were a physical reflection of their cowardly and treacherous soul. Once they were left without a trace of humanity, they withdrew to the deepest reaches of the castle to defend the interests of their lord under the orders of the dungeon guards.

Dungeon Jailer
"If you don't give that key to me now, I will take if from your cadaver." — Dracula
The Travel Book wrote:Some of the jailers were especially violent and unscrupulous, dismembering their own during the "flesh tournaments" held under the castle. As a reward for their exploits, they won the right to keep the cadaver and the armor of those they defeated. Devouring the bodies, they developed their physiques even more, becoming giant masses of muscle. With the metal, they forged crude armor, with plates leaving some parts for their back exposes, and an enormous hammer capable of breaking any defense when hot.

The fear they inspire in the rest of their kind makes them the undisputed masters of the dungeon. As proof of that, they carry a key that gives access to a section of their territory.

Golgoth Guard
"I saw you hide there. You're going to die, dog!" — Golgoth Guard
The Travel Book wrote:Cultivated and raised in laboratories, the Golgoths can be considered the link that connects man and machine in the evolutionary chain.

Their cloned bodies have been genetically altered to grow much more quickly and larger than a normal human being. Their minds, on the other hand, have not had time to develop. If it were not for implanting strict instructions or suppressing emotions, they would be no different than a child.

Their sole aim is to defend Bioquimek from intruders, and for that purpose they are equipped with indestructable armor and an enormous grenade launcher courtesy of the military corporation.

Harpy of the Depths
"Those winged witches are like wyverns in the air, but they are little more than hens on the ground. I'll find a way to make them come down..." — Dracula
The Travel Book wrote:Many evil beings have roamed the castle since Bernhard's demonic pact was formulated. Dracula enslaved most of them when he arrived, adopting only the few that were powerful or wild enough to deserve their freedom. That was the case of the harpies, ferocious beasts whose appearance has been deformed terribly by years of seclusion underground, far from the mountains they came from. In their new habitat, they protect the rooms of the three sisters while they await the arrival of new sacrifices with which to soothe their appetite for hunting.

Horned Demon
"Break and smash my enemies, bathe in their blood and take pleasure in their suffering." — Satan
The Travel Book wrote:The demons, capable of absorbing an enormous number of souls with their purulent bladder, develop enough to transform into colossal horned monsters. Their new body, made up solely of muscles, tendons and stabbing bones, is driven by the tremendous energy provided by the brilliant organ that beats inside them.

Dozens of soldiers follow them in search of blood through the humans' cries, but only the archdemons have the privilege of occupying the front lines of Satan's army. They are the ones chosen to conquer the new world in the name of their lord.

Possessed Citizen
"Run...run, sweet little rats. Soon it won't matter where you hide. You will soon be mine..." — Raisa Volkova
The Travel Book wrote:Like every other night, missions of citizens left their jobs suffocated by their insignificant daily concerns. They would never have imagined that a macabre virus was about to turn them into grotesque bloodthirsty beasts.

After the initial spasms that violently deform their body, these spawns of evil are ready to wreak havoc in the streets and massacre the survivors as new members of the Army of Satan.

They use their hands, still with fingers, to grab any object that can cause damage and clumsily shoot the firearms they find. Although it is already too late for them, there is still hope for other humans to receive a vaccine in time.

Satan's Soldier
"As far as I can tell, the gates of Hell have opened under the city. Look for your loved ones and run for your lives." — Mark Brennan
The Travel Book wrote:Once the doors of the Avernes were opened, demonic hordes began to invade the earth, unleashing horror and despair among mankind. Pity does not exist for the soldiers of Satan, who carve up their victims with knives of bone and drain their souls through the festering amber bladder that grows on their chest. The brilliant light of the underworld shining from their thorax alone seems to give them an uncommon strength.

The less fortunate citizens have seen their inner demon unleashed. It is a phaniasmagorical snake, with a voracious appetite, capable of breaking through walls, armor and flesh with its powerful jaws.

Siege Titan
"One word is enough to set it in motion...destroy!" — H. Hughes, Master Engineer
The Travel Book wrote:With the upsurge of battles between the Brotherhood of Light and the forces of darkness, the engineers of the holy order quickly compelled the last great work of Gandolfi, the Siege Titan. It is a giant wood and metal automaton, inspired by the stone giants that the forces of Agharta commanded in the Necromancer Wars. For over a decade, hundreds of craftsmen worked to complete the mechanism, powered by the divine energy of the gem that the priests placed in its head.

In battle, it would be ready to use its enormous extremities, smashing a regimen with a single stamp of the foot, pulverizing the walls of the castle with its fists and dispatching a group of soldiers inside. Its value in war was such that only after it was built did the brotherhood decide to start the siege of Dracula's Castle.

Stone Golem
Voiced by: numerous (uncredited)

"Look what you're making us do!" — Stone Golem, possessed by...something
The Travel Book wrote:The curse that runs through Dracula's veins becomes more violent the more the vampire delves into his memories. When the blood escapes to possess fragments of the castle, a monstrous stone golem takes shape. Like a puppeteer, the cursed substance controls its limbs and is capable of attacking its master with crushing violence.

Trying to defeat it by hitting the bevels, columns and statues that make it up is as laborious as it is inefficient. The true aim is the red flow that animates it.

Toy Maker's Puppets
"Time to play!" — Toy Maker
The Travel Book wrote:One of the first tasks the Bernhard gave the Toy Maker, before condemning him to slavery, was to build an exotic puppet theater. The play was meant to represent the feats of Sir Walter deGrey. An epic story of the knight who defeated the evil dragon Sauraganihorix and saved the entire kingdom. However, the childish nature that the chubby Toy Maker gave to the wooden figures deeply displeased his masters, who never allowed them to debut. The colorful puppets were directed by the puppet master figure, an enormous articulated structure that enabled the master to control the play from above. Although they were not created for the purpose of war, their considerable size and tremendous weight make them fantastic weapons against anyone who enters the home of their creator without permission.

Bat Swarm
The Travel Book wrote:The castle bats have shared their space with the Prince of Darkness for countless years. The powerful influence of their lord has bound them to his very being, as if they were a part of his own body.

In bygone times, Dracula never needed the distractive abilities of these creatures, but his new situation forces him to use them to even things up.

Select the Bat Swarm with the left button. Press and hold RT and release it launch it. You can cancel the shot by pressing B.

Chaos Bomb
The Travel Book wrote:Several pieces of burning mineral escaped when the Chaos Claws were forged and became trapped in the depths of the fortress. Some creatures searched for them to control the great power of fire that they store inside. However, only the Lord of Vampires is capable of transforming its power and of projecting it against his enemies.

With the Chaos Magic activated, press and hold RT to charge and release to fire. You can move and aim during preparation or cancel the shot by pressing B.

Chaos Claws
The Travel Book wrote:The solid walls of the castle were not strong enough to contain the hate and rage that Dracula held inside. Possessed by a yearning for revenge, the Prince of Darkness attacked the pillars of his new home. From its ashes new structures always arose, even taller than the ones before and, from the burning fires, a blinding flame. In its burning heat the Chaos Claws were forged, filled with contained fury, waiting for their master to unleash their power once again.

Use RB to activate and deactivate the Chaos Claws.

Dodo Egg
RELIC POWER: Reveals one secret on the map.
The Travel Book wrote:The meat of the trusting Dodo became a coveted treat for hundreds of years. However, the Chupacabras found in them an even more valuable use, and began to breed them secretly before they became entirely extinct. Their eggs held a privileged place on the shelf of his shop under the slogan: "Buy it now and discover a secret!".

With the Dodo Egg selected, press and hold RT to use it.

Dungeon Key
The Travel Book wrote:In the deepest reaches of the castle, it is survival of the fittest. Killing for wealth is a constant in the lives of the dungeon clans, and turf wars are increasingly common. Only the guards have the means to forge crude metal keys, used to block access to their territory and keep their belonging out of covetous hands.

Ensnared Demon
RELIC POWER: Infinitely regenerates Light and Shadow Magic for 45 seconds. Once used, Dracula's magic will be depleted.
The Travel Book wrote:When, in the 15th century, a group of strange scholars presented the prototype for the first steam engine, it seemed impossible to explain how they could have invented such a sophisticated machine with the existing tools and knowledge. It would have been impossible, except that its framework did not hide human technology but rather a complex mechanism fed by the magical energy of a demon trapped in its core.

With the Ensnared Demon selected, press and hold RT to use it.

Heart of Dracul
The Travel Book wrote:When Gabriel replaced his blood with Laura's, a change began that went beyond the purely physical, drowning out the love, compassion and tenderness that filled the man's heart, giving way to the merciless darkness of the dragon. It is a supernatural power that, fed by the blood of his victims, flows through his veins, healing the wounds inflicted on him and prolonging the torturous curse for all eternity.

Seal of Alastor
RELIC POWER: Unlocks all moves and full mastery of all weapons for 90 seconds; cancels out effects of any relics currently active.
The Travel Book wrote:A blood oath kept the ghost of Alastor from leaving the material world. His spirit was anchored to the weapons that made him famous in life, forcing him to brandish them for all eternity. It is said that he who carries the seal with his name will enable the master to guide his fist and teach perfection in the art of dealing death.

With the Seal of Alastor selected, press and hold R2 to use it.

Shadow Daggers
The Travel Book wrote:Making a small cut on his wrist, and using the same power to mould his blood as for the Shadow Whip, Dracula is able to throw a high-speed shadow projectile at his enemies. When it hits, the blood particles harden, dealing a forceful blow that can destabalize the target.

With no magic activated, press and hold RT to charge and release to fire. You can move and aim during preparation or cancel the shot by pressing B.

Shadow Whip
The Travel Book wrote:Gabriel's deeply rooted training with the Combat Cross remained in Dracula. The Prince of Darkness now uses his own blood, which takes the shape of a sinuous whip, to inflict pain and death wherever he goes. The dark fluid is bound by a supernatural force, and it hardens on impact. Before they die, its victims feel as if thousands of fangs penetrated their flesh, breaking bones and tearing their life force from them.

Stolas' Cloak
RELIC POWER: For 30 seconds, any grounded enemy will be frozen in time when hit, knocked back, and will give Dracula additional XP per hit.
The Travel Book wrote:A blood oath kept the ghost of Alastor from leaving the material world. His spirit was anchored to the weapons that made him famous in life, forcing him to brandish them for all eternity. It is said that he who carries the seal with his name will enable the master to guide his fist and teach perfection in the art of dealing death.

With the Seal of Alastor selected, press and hold RT to use it.

Tears Of A Saint
RELIC EFFECT: Restores 100% of Dracula's health, allowing for a temporary overcharge (e.g. if taken at 50% health, Dracula will temporarily have 150% health)
The Travel Book wrote:An ancient belief attributes healing capabilities to the tears of saints. For centuries, alchemists at the service of evil have unsuccessfully tried to unlock their secrets.

To conduct their research, they kidnapped men and women of God, studying ever vital fluid they were able to extract from their eye sockets.

With the Tears of a Saint selected, press and hold RT to use them.

Void Projections
The Travel Book wrote:The formation of the Void Sword caused impurities that penetrated the deep rock of the Castle. These crystal fragments have kept the secret of ice for centuries, while driving the castle residents mad with its tempting call. He who can control the power held by one of these crystals will be capable of extending the void energy beyond his sword's edge.

With the Void Magic activated, press and hold RT to charge and release to fire. You can move and aim during preparation or cancel the shot by pressing B.

Void Sword
The Travel Book wrote:Pain and suffering have tormented Gabriel over the centuries following his transformation into the Lord of Darkness, beating his exhausted mind again and again.

As his memories submerged into the waters of oblivion, Dracula left his human side behind to overcome the torture, and filled his heart with a cold, dark void. That feeling gave rise to the Void Sword, capable of draining both the nightmares of its owner and the life of everyone that comes in contact with its blade.

Use LB to activate and deactivate the Void Sword.

White Wolf Medallion
The Travel Book wrote:There is nothing stronger than the love of a father for his son, and even Dracula is able to show it through his tortured memories.

The medallion is nothing more than the physical representation of those memories, forged by a deep feeling that binds him to his first born, tempered by the regret of having bequeathed to him his fateful destiny. The white wolf is his symbol, his constant between worlds, and his guide on his journey from the present to the past.

Wherever its mark is found, he can call on it again.
Last edited by theenglishman on Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.