Where there's a whip there's a way: Castlevania Lords of Shadow MEGATHREAD! (THREAD COMPLETE!)

An archival space for the threads that made it.
Goddamn theatre kids.

ImageImage

Thank you so much for the bad poetry count. For all the trashtalking, this fight looks and feels great.

Pattie Stew aside I'm starting to wish this entire game took place in the past-castle but they just had to have their twist at the end of the first game.

As I near the end of my recording sessions, I have made the tough call not to finish recording the Kleidos challenges, as initially planned. They're not worth the effort, way too hard, and I have better uses of my time. I know I promised earlier in the thread that I would show them off, but I just don't have the patience and I'm completely tapped out on this series - I still like it, mind you, but I think it was a serious mistake to make this a megathread rather than spread the games out with breaks in between.

To be clear, the LP is not cancelled, I'm just removing one portion that I was going to show off. As of time of posting, all I have left to record is the final boss and the story DLC.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Far better to quit tedious difficulty filler than burn out on the LP. Thanks once again for LPing this series, too!

ImageImage

Okay, I was totally on board with the fakeout direction it looked like they were taking with Zobek's bodyguard, but after that remark before the elevator ride I'm gonna call it as definitely Alucard. This game just isn't smart enough to try the double fakeout.

... I think all those cut cleric spells are direct Latin translations of the names of D&D spells. I didn't catch the first spell you said was going to be a flame spell (although Fireball and Flame Strike are both possibilities, the latter actually being a spell the Cleric class can use in D&D), but Protection From Evil, Acid Arrow (also known as Melf's Acid Arrow in earlier D&D editions), Dispel Magic, and Vampiric Touch are all easily identifiable, while the "written by fire" one is tougher, but it might be Explosive Runes.
Last edited by Commander Keene on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commander Keene wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:31 am
... I think all those cut cleric spells are direct Latin translations of the names of D&D spells. I didn't catch the first spell you said was going to be a flame spell (although Fireball and Flame Strike are both possibilities, the latter actually being a spell the Cleric class can use in D&D), but Protection From Evil, Acid Arrow (also known as Melf's Acid Arrow in earlier D&D editions), Dispel Magic, and Vampiric Touch are all easily identifiable, while the "written by fire" one is tougher, but it might be Explosive Runes.

The one you couldn't understand was manux ex ignis. The spells the Cleric actually uses are arcessere armas, forma incendium, globus ex ignifer, insigne ex magus, and telum magica.

Commander Keene wrote:
...while the "written by fire" one is tougher, but it might be Explosive Runes.
It's been a long long time since I've played 1E but I vaguely remembered a sort of flame rune spell (which I think I was misremembering as Rune of Fire) and lo and behold, I found a reference to Explosive Runes' little brother Incendiary Runes.
Last edited by Albu-quirky Guy on Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm busy with work so that's all the effort you're getting out of this joke
:colbert:

Well that's a cutscene someone just wanted to have, "Dracula should ride a gas container like a rocket." "Why?" "Don't care, put it in!"

Kibayasu wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 pm
Well that's a cutscene someone just wanted to have, "Dracula should ride a gas container like a rocket." "Why?" "Don't care, put it in!"
To be fair it is pretty awesome.

theenglishman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 am
Kibayasu wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 pm
To be fair it is pretty awesome.
Only the best for our Lord of Darkness.

theenglishman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:26 am
Commander Keene wrote:

Click Here To Read

The one you couldn't understand was manux ex ignis. The spells the Cleric actually uses are arcessere armas, forma incendium, globus ex ignifer, insigne ex magus, and telum magica.
Google has no idea what a "manux" is, even when I tell it it's looking at Latin, so I'm digging deep for my nearly 20-year-old high school Spanish and making assumptions when I guess Burning Hands for manux ex ignis. As for the others, I'd have to go back and refresh myself on what the Cleric's spells actually do (and I don't remember which video you talked about them in).

Commander Keene wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:49 am
As for the others, I'd have to go back and refresh myself on what the Cleric's spells actually do (and I don't remember which video you talked about them in).
Well then, it's a good thing I have the relevant page from the Castlevania wiki at hand: https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Brotherhood_Cleric

Commander Keene wrote:
Google has no idea what a "manux" is, even when I tell it it's looking at Latin, so I'm digging deep for my nearly 20-year-old high school Spanish and making assumptions when I guess Burning Hands for manux ex ignis. As for the others, I'd have to go back and refresh myself on what the Cleric's spells actually do (and I don't remember which video you talked about them in).
Manus is hands. IIRC. I'm guessing that they mistook the s sound for an x.

Albu-quirky Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:47 pm
Commander Keene wrote:
As for the others, I'd have to go back and refresh myself on what the Cleric's spells actually do (and I don't remember which video you talked about them in).
Well then, it's a good thing I have the relevant page from the Castlevania wiki at hand: https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Brotherhood_Cleric
Doesn't look like any of the spell effects the Cleric actually uses line up with the translated names to map directly to a D&D spell, though there are D&D spells that match the translated names, but that might just be because there's 40+ years of D&D spells to choose from.

Globus ex ignifer could map to Fireball or Flaming Sphere, there's a spell called Magic Weapon (telum magica), arcessere armas could be Call Weapon, insigne ex magus could be Arcane Mark, and forma incendium could be Fiery Body. However, since the actual observed effects of the spells in-game don't match up to the names, it could be that they started with D&D spells and changed the effects, or it could just be that basically any combination of words that doesn't involve modern technology maps to one of the literally hundreds of D&D spells at this point.

Fasten your seatbelts, folks, because this double-update is a doozy!

ImageImage

ImageImage

Talk about a double whammy. I honestly thought our hooded friend was new, learning that he's from a cancelled game was a pleasant surprise - for all the rebooting, they really did their damn best to wedge these games in the Castlevania franchise.
I did appreciate the Deadly Creatures but not half as much as the Darkwing Duck, that made me laugh out loud. This is an amazing LP, folks.

Wow, that third boss really gave off some FFXIV Ruby Weapon vibes. Are you sure it didn't have a moon-dropping attack?

Hi Victor, bye Victor. You accomplished very little.

I think it would have been neat if both the Victor and Castle Blood fight were quasi mirror matches, in a fight your "old" self and then your "new" self way.

I'd also say there's some commentary on putting the "biggest weapons manufacturer in the world" in a church but everything is a church in Castlevania Town.

No uncut commentary for this one - we're picking up the remaining collectibles in the castle and makings lots of dumb jokes.

Thinking of other Igavanias, it's a shame that you can't go full "I COMMAND THE POWER OF DARKNESS" the way Soma and Miriam can, and that Dracula's stuck being LOS1 Gabriel with more exotic weapons, ratform, and mistform. Not to suggest that would be easy to choreograph friendly monster attacks coming out of nowhere in 3d the way they do in the Sorrows and Bloodstained, but Blood Dracula gets all the fun of having monsters for support while Gabriel Dracula has to do all the work himself.

I'm sorry to hear things have been rough the past few months; I hope things are on the mend for you. I'm really enjoying this LP.

The lore page should be up-to-date again.

A "pile" of sacrifice is just a weird and awkward name anyways

If there's one thing that impressive sprawling modern games has done it has made some of the collectible hunting incredibly tedious. It's one thing to hide something behind a clever angle, it's another to hide something behind a clever angle 5 minutes from the nearest fast travel point.

In today's episode, we take down another acolyte and learn a bit about Mesopotamian mythology.

ImageImage

Gabe I know you don't want to be in a stealth game but maybe do something other than casually strut up to a boss character.

One last cleanup video, this time for the city.

Like Part 16, this one doesn't have separate videos for cut and uncut commentary, since there are no cutscenes.

Meanwhile, mister Lieutenant sits there behind the bars, surfing Facebook and YouTube on his cell phone for six hours waiting for Gabe to come back and hoping to hell that Zobek doesn't call and ask for an update.

Albu-quirky Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:26 pm
Meanwhile, mister Lieutenant sits there behind the bars, surfing Facebook and YouTube on his cell phone for six hours waiting for Gabe to come back and hoping to hell that Zobek doesn't call and ask for an update.
It's the curse of companion characters in any game with things to collect. Who knows what Atreus was thinking after Kratos goes back to the same room 4 times.

The plot is wrapping up, and oh boy are things about to get buck wild! We're about to find out what really happened at the end of the prologue, who the Lieutenant is, and get some closure with our dear friend Zardoz.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Was...was that an ElectricalBeast joke I heard in there?

EMN wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:08 pm
Was...was that an ElectricalBeast joke I heard in there?
“HAND! IT’S PRONOUNCED HAND!”

Despite it being Alucard the Alucard part of that twist is actually pretty good, mostly because it isn't a "Gasp, it's Alucard!" twist and just "Oh hey Alucard, how's it going?", but it definitely suffers from being the final part of a 3 part series that never really got the second part. Relies in part on you already being familiar with them from other games rather than these games. Also neat design aside just fighting the same end bosses as the first game apparently?

I guess the DLC is going to explain how Alucard managed to maybe? trick Zobek into letting him on the team.

Releasing this one a bit early, just as an experiment for my next LP to see if I should change my schedule and upload time.

Well, here it is folks - the end of the campaign! Next time, we'll be taking a look at the DLC which will wrap up a few loose ends and answer some lingering questions. Well, I mean it tries.

ImageImage

Dracula fighting Satan atop a space whale.
How can anyone not love this series.

About 20 minutes after the credits roll does Castlevania Town look like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg1SVa6QRQA

If Alucard is present Dracula must fight him. Not even really getting a go at Buff Satan is pretty bad though.

I think the most disappointing thing about the ending is that they went with the most anemic "squelch" sound they could have for shanking Satan.