Where there's a whip there's a way: Castlevania Lords of Shadow MEGATHREAD! (THREAD COMPLETE!)

An archival space for the threads that made it.

Click here for the first Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD post (WARNING: major spoilers for the first game!)

Click here for the first Lords of Shadow 2 post (WARNING: major spoilers for the previous two games!)

A Message for LP Beach Viewers
Welcome to my Let's Play! This is a continuation of a megathread that began on Something Awful, but was moved here following The Event. I strongly suggest watching the entire playlist (linked below). I have also postponed my next planned update (Video 32) until Sunday June 28th, in order to give new viewers a chance to catch up with the old videos. Feel free to comment in either the thread or the videos themselves as you go, in order to recreate the insane ride we went on the first time around.

If you have a Something Awful account, I also strongly recommend reading the original thread, as there was some fascinating discussion that went on there, and some of the later videos in this LP make references to replies in that thread.

As this is a megathread that covers all three Lords of Shadow games, we've only really just begun, so come on in and fasten your seat-belts, because this is going to be one hell of a ride!

SPOILER POLICY: Open season on spoilers for any Castlevania games not in the Lords of Shadow saga. I know that many of the twists in the LoS games have become particularly infamous, but please be considerate: if you have to talk about Lords of Shadow spoilers, please, please use spoiler tags (NOTE: LP Beach has yet to implement spoiler tags as of June 25th, so in the meantime, please be courteous and don't post spoilers yet)!

Intro
Lords of Shadow is an action-focused miniseries within the Castlevania franchise released between 2010 and 2014. It looks amazing, plays pretty well, and has an all-star cast including Sir Patrick Stewart (needs no introduction), Robert Carlyle (Begbie in Trainspotting), Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies), Adrian Schiller (Mr. Gryle in the 2010 version of Going Postal) and Richard Madden (Robb Stark in Fantasy War of the Roses Simulator). The Lords of Shadow saga is an alternate-timeline/reboot/whatever retelling of the Castlevania lore, explaining the origins of the Belmont family, the Vampire Killer, and of course our good friend Dracula.

That's not to say it doesn't borrow from past games. I like to think of Lords of Shadow as the comic book movie version of Castlevania: it's telling an original story but includes plenty of winks and nods to its source material. We'll be seeing clear inspiration from the very first Castlevania on NES, as well as Super Castlevania IV, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Lament of Innocence, and that's just the ones I spotted.

It was developed by Spanish studio MercurySteam, who you may remember from Clive Barker's Jericho, Metroid: Samus Returns, and their recent free-to-play single/multiplayer hybrid Spacelords. Rather infamously, Konami heavily pushed Hideo Kojima's involvement in the marketing for this game, though from what I can gather, most of his input was for the design of the main character, Gabriel Belmont, and MercurySteam did 99% of the work.

As you can tell by the title, this is a MEGATHREAD! We will be playing through all three titles in the saga: Lords of Shadow (specifically the Ultimate Edition on PC), Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (a handheld spinoff that got an HD re-release on consoles and PC), and Lords of Shadow 2 (also on PC). Each game has its own strengths, weaknesses, and interesting ideas, and while the series never quite reaches its potential, I find the series as a whole fascinating with the ideas it plays with, both mechanically and in its narrative.

So with that being said, let's talk about the first game.

The gameplay is...interesting. A lot of people accused Lords of Shadow of being a God of War ripoff back in the day, which I don't think is really fair. While Gabriel's acquisition of moves and powers is similar to Kratos, Lords of Shadow borrows from a number of popular character action franchises (the Devil May Cry influence in particular will become very obvious towards the end of the game). I won't be going in-depth about the fighting system in the OP since the game introduces its mechanics rather slowly, but I will say that once Gabriel has his full moveset, it stands out as an interesting system with some neat ideas that also smartly borrows from its competitors.

How this LP is going to work
Joining me as always is pdPreciousRoy. He is going in almost completely blind (he has vague memories of the second game but doesn't really remember them, which I am encouraging for what are obvious reasons if you've played through this series before). I'm going to emphasize this again: please, PLEASE post any spoilers about the game in spoiler tags! Roy checks the thread on occasion and for those who know the absolutely bonkers story that is to come, you know that you want him to stay unawares.

As for OPs, I will be posting the second and third game's OP within this thread and will link to them at the top of this post when I start a new game. I think that's the best way to hide spoilers, as simply seeing the covers of each subsequent game gives away spoilers in the previous one.

As for the technical stuff, I'll be playing all three games on PC. The first game's PC port is the Ultimate Edition, a rerelease that included the two DLC missions bundled in and some graphical upgrades. In the first game, at least, I will be aiming for 92% completion, which means collecting everything in the game while beating it on Warrior, or Normal, difficulty (this game goes up to 110%, with the other 18% coming from beating every level on Knight and Paladin difficulty). And yes, this includes all the trials. If you've played the first game before, you will pray for me. As for the latter two games, which are more Metroidvania-ish in feel...we'll have to see. I may not go for everything, especially as the second game gets very grindy if you want to go for 100%, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Okay, enough talk. Let's get started. Videos are below! On the second post, I will post updates to the lore from Gabriel's Travel Book.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Last edited by theenglishman on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Here, I will be posting updates to lore, such as new characters, items, and enemies.

Gabriel Belmont
MASSIVE SPOILERS! UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN ALL OF VIDEO 28, DO NOT READ ANY SPOILERS IN THIS BIO!

Robert Carlyle (EN), Keiji Fujiwara (JP) (BEWARE OF SPOILERS IN THEIR IMDB PROFILES!!!!! )
The Travel Book wrote: As an infant he was found abandoned at the door of one of the Brotherhood of Light convents. It is not known who his original parents were. Some suspect that he was the unwanted bastard of a local wealthy landowner, most likely from the Cronqvist family, though this has never been proved.

The Order named the boy after the blessed Archangel Gabriel and raised him as one of its own. A precocious child, he quickly proved to be extremely talented, developing an unprecedented mastery of the fighting arts. Gabriel took the surname of Belmont from his love of the mountains and the high places of the world.

Prone to dark moods and occasional ambivalence, Gabriel was deeply affected by the death of his childhood sweetheart, Marie. He has embarked on this quest at the request of the elders of the Brotherhood, and has a burning desire for revenge.

Through the manipulative cunning of Satan and Zobek, the thirst for blood and violence that had raged inside Gabriel all along was unleashed, never to be contained - the spirit of the dragons, long since extinct from this world. Gabriel defeated Satan and the dread Lords of Shadow, but in the process he lost everything he loved.

In the end, Gabriel fell into darkness as foretold. After years of tragedy, hatred, and self-loathing, he became the very thing he swore to fight - Dracula, the Prince of Darkness.

Marie Belmont
Natascha McElhone (EN), Kikuko Inoue (JP)
The Travel Book wrote: Marie, the youngest daughter of a rich merchant family, was always attracted by the courageous nature of the Brotherhood of Light; curious and lively, she often escaped her duties at home in order to help the monks, baking and cleaning for them. During one of these visits she became acquainted with the boy that would later become her husband, an orphan by the name of Gabriel.

The two youngsters were made for each other; they grew up together and made promises for the future. These promises were kept when, one idyllic morning, with the blessing of both her family and the Brotherhood, the couple was married. Marie provided a good counterpoint to Gabriel's dark moods, and often just her laughter was enough to blow away the gathering storm within him.

Now Marie has been tragically murdered and Gabriel seeks revenge.
Baba Yaga
Ève Karpf (EN), Yū Kobayashi (JP)
The Travel Book wrote:This old hag is the subject of many a myth in popular folklore, mostly appearing as an evil Witch who eats children and lives in a cabin that stands on a pair of chicken legs. While parts of these legends are true, her house does not stand on chicken legs, though as for the rest... who knows? Baba Yaga likes to brew a special tea made from extremely rare blue rose petals, which temporarily transforms this hideous old hag into a beautiful young woman. Although she will sometimes help people, it's usually very dangerous to ask her for a favor, unless you are very polite and can offer her something in return.
The Black Knight Golem
None (EN/JP)
STRONG: Dagger 2x, Fairy 3x, Light Fairy 2x
WEAK: Crystal 2x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x,Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:This Golem was created using similar techniques to those involved in the construction of the Titans. However, a human body was needed to imbue the armour with great power, so Claudia's father used the corpse of a mute killer and weaved his soul within the armour to forge this magical being. The Black Knight requires souls in order to function, so Claudia lures evil creatures so that he may devour them. Despite this, the Black Knight is not evil; the soul of the killer inside the armour hopes for redemption by protecting his ward, and sees a kindred spirit in the mute daughter of his creator, whom he has eventually grown to love.
Brauner
Uncredited (EN), Tarô Yamaguchi (JP)
  • STRONG: Dagger 1x, Fairy 3x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK:Crystal 2x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:This Vampire is a powerful demon, turned by the Dark Lord long ago. It is well known that young Vampires are bestial in appearance, but as they become stronger, they are able to regain human form. Indeed, many of the oldest Vampires are mistaken for high-born aristocracy. However, this creature was never human and thus cannot take that form. Rather, he is a spawn of Hell, possessing vampiric powers, which make him a formidable foe.

Carmilla
Sally Knyvette (EN), Houko Kuwashima (JP)
  • STRONG: Dagger 3x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 3x, Holy Water 3x, Light Fairy 3x, Shadow Dag. 3x
  • WEAK: Light HW 1x
The Travel Book wrote:The three founding members of the Brotherhood of Light were brave warriors who sacrificed their physical bodies in order to become spiritual beings, able to fight God's wars against evil. They performed a mystical ritual to transform themselves into angelic creatures. Their intentions were honorable, but they were deceived and their spirits were fractured; their good sides were transported to heaven as angelic beings, while their dark sides were left behind. The second of the founders, Carmilla, was a highly skilled healer, and her talents knew no equal. Pure of soul and chaste in mind and body, she was renowned for her love of all living creatures.

When the spirit left her body on that fateful night, her love for life and her purity were corrupted, giving birth to the Vampire Dark Lord.

SECOND FORM: Vampire Queen
Just like the Lycanthrope Dark Lord, the Vampire Queen was granted an animal-like manifestation of the dark parts of her spirit. It is pitifully ironic that for a healer with such a love for life, she would be transformed into a blood-sucking monster that consumes the energy of living creatures in order to survive. This ungodly bat demon uses the Seraph Shoulders to fly and can conjure up Vampire warriors at will from anywhere in the Castle to do her bidding.

Claudia
Emma Ferguson (as Emma Owens) (EN), Yū Kobayashi (JP)
The Travel Book wrote:Claudia is a mute orphan girl who lives in the ruins of Agharta, the destroyed capital of a once-great civilization. The race that created the city lived very long lives, often over many centuries, and Claudia shares this trait. Having endured innumerable years in the dust and decay, she has developed telepathic powers by communicating with her loyal guardian, the Black Knight. This is an ancient form of communication favored by her ancestors. The strong bond that she has developed with her armoured protector has saved them both on many occasions. Claudia is brave and carefree, unafraid to confront danger. Yet deep within is a sadness that will never leave her, the loss of her beloved father.

Cornell
Richard Ridings (EN), Banjô Ginga (JP)
STRONG: Dagger 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Shadow Dag. 3x
WEAK: Fairy 3x, Light Fairy 3x, Crystal 2x
The Travel Book wrote:MAJOR STORY SPOILERS! The three founding members of the Brotherhood of Light were brave warriors who sacrificed their physical bodies in order to become spiritual beings, able to fight God's wars against evil. They performed a mystical ritual to transform themselves into angelic creatures. Their intentions were honorable, but they were deceived and their spirits were fractured; their good sides were transported to heaven as angelic beings, while their dark sides were left behind. Cornell was the youngest of the three, but he was also the strongest. Unlike his companions, he rarely used his magic powers, preferring to fight using a great sledgehammer that none but he could wield.

On that fateful night, the spirit of Cornell left his body, and all the strength and anger left behind gave birth to the Lycanthrope Dark Lord.

FINAL FORM: Lycanthrope Dark Lord
The Dark Lord of the Lycanthropes is the personification of hate and violence. In his werewolf form he has superhuman strength and speed, far greater than even his mighty lieutenants.

In addition to his natural abilities, he can also use the power of the Cyclone Boots, magical relics worn by his human counterpart. With them, he is able to jump great distances and perform powerful charge movements that can tear down most obstacles.

MAJOR STORY SPOILERS!
Father Vincent Dorin, Abbot of Wygol
Adrian Schiller (EN), Naoki Tatsuta (JP)
The Travel Book wrote:The abbey at Wygol had always been a place of peace and meditation. The monks that inhabited it were considered great scribes, and their wonderfully crafted manuscripts made the abbey a place of holy pilgrimage. The current abbot, Father Dorin, was an erudite scholar, devoted to the study of the old texts retained in the abbey's vast library. Shutting himself away, he studied these ancient texts and prophetic scrolls for years, turning half blind and quite mad in the process. When the Vampires came, he discovered a holy relic hidden deep in the library that kept the evil creatures at bay. In order to preserve the holy books and himself, he banished everyone from the abbey and disassociated himself from his people, leaving them to their fate without the protection of the ancient relic.

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR VIDEO 29
The Forgotten One
Colin McFarlane (EN)
STRONG: Everything 3x
WEAK: None
The Travel Book wrote:The Bernhard family were responsible for a vast number of hideous crimes, most of them involving foul sorceries and demonic rituals; the most horrible of them all was the summoning of the creature known as "The Forgotten One", an evil monster of immense power.

This entity was the sovereign of the elemental Plane of Darkness, and quickly escaped the Bernhards' controlling magic. Finally, the three founders of the Brotherhood of Light fought the demon and used their powers to imprison it forever...or so they thought. Today, the monster impatiently awaits the time of its release, eager to seek retribution against all humanity..."

Laura
Grace Vance (EN), Yumi Kikuchi (JP)
The Travel Book wrote:The child-like appearance of Laura has led many to their deaths, for she is a deceptive, ruthless killer who has murdered hundreds of innocents over many centuries to satiate her blood craving. Although she has the body of a child, she has the cunning and intellect of someone far older. She can be particularly cruel, often treating the killing of her victims as a game. However, when at rest and alone, she remembers a time long past, a time of warmth and comfort and a woman's beautiful voice singing to her as she sleeps, comforting her in the darkness...a life lost long ago.

Olrox
Uncredited (EN), Tarô Yamaguchi (JP)
  • STRONG: Dagger 2x, Fairy 3x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK:Crystal 2x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Another demon-spawned Vampire, he and his younger sibling were both inhuman before the Dark Lord found them and turned them. In fact, they didn't belong to this earthly plane at all, being lesser nether demons begat in the deepest corners of Hell. How they came into our world is still a mystery but what is known is that the Vampire Dark Lord found them and used her influence upon them.

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR VIDEO 24
Pan
Aleksandar Mikic (EN), Akio Ôtsuka (JP)
The Travel Book wrote: Classic folklore tells of a mystical spirit that inhabits untamed woodlands, protecting them from harm. Legends tell of different forms to this spirit, often an eagle, a deer, a boar or even a horse, as well as many others. Some portray Pan as an evil satyr, while others tell a story of a benevolent and powerful demi-god, servant of Mother Nature herself. But Mankind, in its arrogance, pollutes and destroys the world, and the old spirits depart... and soon Pan must choose his own fate.

The Silver Warrior
STRONG: Dagger 1x, Fairy 3x, Holy Water 3x, Light HW 3x, Light Fairy 3x
WEAK: Crystal 2x, Shadow Dag. 1x
Pan, once revered as a God, rarely changes into this form, preferring peace and to protect all living things. The magical silver armor is a remnant of ancient times, a tool used for fighting the forces of evil that hasn't been worn by him for centuries. Now, out of necessity, Pan adorns his body in this ancient armor to test Gabriel one final time. Pan puts his trust in God, for no knight that is false can survive the test of arms. The loser will provide the ultimate sacrifice, according to God's will.
MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR VIDEO 28
Satan, King of the Angels
Jason Isaacs (EN), Tomokazu Sugita (JP)
STRONG: Everything 3x
WEAK: None
The Travel Book wrote:The real mastermind behind these events, the fallen angel Satan was cast down to Earth as punishment for his rebellion against God. Satan has been searching for a way to re-enter Heaven and crush the Almighty once and for all. The God Mask is said to bestow a power that is supposed to be a key to God himself; a power that makes its wearer God's vassal on Earth, and Satan has manipulated Zobek and the other Lords of Shadow to acquire it for his own means.

Satan has unimaginable power to wield on this Earth, and can use both Light and Shadow energy to cast destructive spells or summon demonic Reapers from other planes. However, he is not able to command his full strength while chained to the earthly plane, and thus remains weakened against Heaven's chosen.

Zobek the Necromancer, Lord of the Dead
MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR VIDEO 28

Sir Patrick Stewart (EN), Mugihito (JP) (BEWARE OF SPOILERS IN THEIR IMDB PROFILES!!!!! )
"Death" (unique Necromancer in level 11-2) voiced by Adrian Schiller (EN), Hôchû Ôtsuka (JP)
The Travel Book wrote: If the chronicles of the Brotherhood are to be believed, Zobek is one of their longest serving warriors. The list of heroic deeds attributed to him is as impressive as his vast knowledge of the art of war. Despite his age, he can deploy mighty fighting skills.

His weapon of choice is a simple long sword which he handles with great skill. Unusually, he likes to wear the old-fashioned uniform of the Brotherhood of Light that, according to him, was inherited from one of his ancestors, one of the founding members of the Order.

Along with Cornell and Carmilla, Zobek founded the order to which Gabriel belongs: The Brotherhood of Light. Yet pride drove him to seek even more power, to fight against the evil and injustices he saw all around him. Zobek was once a brave fighter and a sage wizard, wise above all others. He was a good man, much loved and respected. He was corrupted by the very desire to do good and, in the end, was punished for it.

When his spirit ascended to Heaven that fateful night, the empty corpse that he left behind became the Necromancer; an evil reflection of everything that he represented. Lord of all the Dead, he is death personified and with his knowledge of the dark arts none may stand against him, living or dead.

Combat Cross
The Travel Book wrote:While most of the Brotherhood utilizes more conventional armaments, Gabriel has been gifted with the Combat Cross, a heavy iron crucifix which hides a retractable chain inside.

The cross body was one of the first relics the Brotherhood acquired centuries ago; its full origin is unclear but it is rumored to have been forged from the nails used to crucify martyrs.

The original cross relic did not have a chain and thus it was not very effective as a weapon (at least not against more earthly menaces). One of its first wielders, a Brotherhood artisan by the name of Rinaldo Gandolfi was responsible for the creation of the now iconic chain.

The iron chain was his first addition and, during the forging process, every single link of the chain was quenched in holy water and then blessed, to give the weapon more power against the undead.

Rinaldo Gandolfi built two different chains for the Combat Cross but this one was never approved by the Brotherhood, for obvious reasons. The elders thought that the spikes were too cruel for the holy nature of the weapon. However, instead of destroying it, the artisan hid the links in one of the mausoleums of the Order, believing that one day it might be needed.

UPGRADE: Hook Tip
This relic was also built by the renowned artisan, Rinaldo Gandolfi. The articulated metal tip can be used to grip objects and enemies from a distance, giving the Combat Cross the properties of a grappling hook. This also allows the wielder to climb, rappel and swing around the environments when combined with the Combat Cross.

UPGRADE: Spike Upgrade
With the spiked chain, the Combat Cross can be used to saw through obstacles and to 'tame' dangerous monsters by looping it around their necks.

UPGRADE: Stake
The artisan who made the chain and hook tip for the Combat Cross, Rinaldo Gandolfi, wanted to give the weapon even more options for hand-to-hand combat, especially against supernatural creatures of the night, and so he designed the stake attachment which eventually gave the Combat Cross the nickname of 'Vampire Killer'.
Cyclone Boots
The Travel Book wrote:A gift to Cornell, these powerful boots were forged long ago. They allowed him to travel vast distances at tremendous speed. However, after he became the Dark Lord of the Lycans, he improved upon their design, using Shadow Magic to turn them into a powerful weapon, enabling him to charge down his enemies with incredible speed.
Dagger
The Travel Book wrote:These Daggers have been balanced to be thrown with extraordinary precision. They are made of silver, and have small bones of saints hidden in their grips; both characteristics give this weapon its destructive power against supernatural beings, especially those who are descendants of the Lycanthrope Dark Lord.

Dark Crystal
The Travel Book wrote:These crystalline formations are the result of a phenomenon that occurs in zones with a high concentration of Shadow energy. In these places, the land, impregnated in magic, erupts abruptly creating the characteristic geode-like patterns.

The crystals are pure Shadow Magic, and so they are much more volatile and dangerous than the gems from the medallions. They are so powerful that just one full crystal can be used to summon a demon from the Shadow plane.

Dark Gauntlet
The Travel Book wrote:This piece of Aghartian mage-smith technology was not originally part of the design for the Black Knight Golem but was somehow magically melded with the construct during the final stages of its creation. Claudia's father included it because of the sheer power and brute force that it gave the Golem and he deemed it necessary in order to protect his beloved child but, in truth, it has a much darker purpose...

Dark Gem
The Travel Book wrote:These medallions are worn only by a select few of the Brotherhood. Most fear the use of Shadow Magic and shun its application but some feel that, in order to defeat evil, one must learn both the light and dark aspects of magic. This disk allows the user to transform Neutral Elemental Orbs into shadow energy. Gems can be inserted into the empty slots and when all five recesses are filled with red shadow gems, the Shadow Magic container's capacity is increased.

Fairy
The Travel Book wrote:Fairies are a race of mystical beings that have been driven into hiding by the spread of mankind and civilization. Sometimes called the Sidhe, they dwell in forests and meadows, hiding amongst the flowers and blossoms there. Fairies are born of the soil, and take the form of beautiful flowers before emerging as fully-grown creatures. According to legend, the Fairy Queen sometimes bestows mortals with the care and protection of the Fairy folk.

Life Gem
The Travel Book wrote:These are usually worn by warriors of the Brotherhood of Light. Magical gems can be inserted into the empty slots and imbue the wearer with increased stamina. When all five slots are filled with green gems, the life bar's capacity is increased.

Light Gem
The Travel Book wrote:Many of the Brotherhood of Light carry these magical disks. They allow the user to transform Neutral Elemental Orbs into power for Light Magic. Magical gems can be inserted into the empty slots and when all five slots are filled with blue gems, the Light Magic container's capacity is increased.

This one was given to Gabriel by Zobek the first time they met.
Seraph Shoulders
The Travel Book wrote:Carmilla, being one of the founders of the Brotherhood, received these magic shoulders as a gift from the Order for her devotion and purity of spirit. Crafted with the feathers of an Archangel, originally the Seraph Shoulders allowed their wearer to fly short distances but now, after centuries of misuse by the corrupted Vampire Dark Lord, only a fraction of their true power remains.

Animated Armour
  • STRONG: Dagger 1x, Fairy 3x
  • WEAK: Crystal 3x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:These empty suits of armour have been given a temporary "life" due to possession by a poltergeist. They serve the Vampire Dark Lord by patrolling and protecting the Castle's halls and corridors. The spirit of this poltergeist can move from armour to armour if it so wishes, though it can take many days for the spirit to recover when doing so. Once established within a suit of armour, the poltergeist can travel between dimensions at will, causing a huge electrical outage that signals an opening between our world and the spirit world. You can tell when armour is possessed because a strange unearthly, reddish glow emanates from within the suit, indicating that its ghostly inhabitant is awake.

Butcher
  • STRONG: Dagger 1x, Fairy 3x
  • WEAK: Crystal 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:This monster of unknown origin has somehow become the 'official cook' for the Vampires. The Dark Lord uses the Evil Butcher to feed the Ghouls, Wargs and other creatures that live within the castle grounds.

He carries a huge iron cleaver as his main weapon. He is not really a fighter but is dangerous and skilled with the tools found in his kitchen. However, due to his size, he needs constant 'refuelling' in order to maintain his stamina.

Chupacabra
Jason Sampson (EN), Hideo Kojima (uncredited) (JP)
  • STRONG: Dagger 3x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Holy Water 3x, Light HW 3x, Light Fairy 3x, Shadow Dag. 3x,
  • WEAK: None
The Travel Book wrote:Often portrayed as evil, blood-sucking monsters, the Chupacabras' only real obsession are magical relics. When in the presence of such artifacts, they will do anything to get them. However, the Chupacabras are not inherently evil creatures, and most of the time, after a short game of hide and seek, they will return anything they have stolen.

Creeping Corpse
  • STRONG: Fairy 3x
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 2x, Shadow Dag. 2x (1x as Coffin)
The Travel Book wrote:There is a strange, magical root that only grows in the land of the dead which feeds on the carcasses of dead creatures. This plant consumes all the organic material around it and, after it is satiated, evolves from the corpses it has ingested to become a living being. Once fully grown, the creeping corpse looks for living creatures to devour.

As Creeping Coffin
Sometimes, a Creeping Corpse feeds directly from a dead body still in its coffin; in such cases, the plant doesn't leave but instead uses the coffin as armor. For mobility, the creature plunges its branches through the sides of the coffin and extends them, becoming a four-legged monster that's even more dangerous than usual.

Crow Witch Malphas
  • STRONG: Dagger 3x, Fairy 3x, Holy Water 3x, Light HW 3x, Light Fairy 3x, Shadow Dag. 3x
  • WEAK: Crystal 1x
The Travel Book wrote:MAJOR STORY SPOILERS! It is said that this monster was once a beautiful woman, a Witch who inhabited the mountains that surround the fortress. She was treated with respect and admiration, with many people travelling from distant regions for her sage advice. During this time she fell in love with a Prince who lived in the Keep. Besotted with him, she used her powers to concoct potions of love and enchantment so that she could have him for herself. Alas, another Witch entrapped him and he met a most gruesome end. Mad with grief, Malphas threw herself from the top of the tower and landed on the rocks below. Incredibly, she survived the fall, though her body was horribly broken. The crows fed on her and she on them and over many centuries her powers grew until she transformed into the twisted, bird-like creature she is now, intent on feeding on corpses for food. Her cries of maddened rage fill the long, dark valleys below the fortress and echo around the tower that was once a place of love and hope.

Crow Witch Children
  • STRONG: Fairy 1x,
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x,Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:MAJOR STORY SPOILERS! These half human, half bird-like creatures are the progeny of the Crow Witch, Malphas. The Witch-children are able to breathe fire and are extremely volatile, oftentimes dying in a blazing explosion. However, like most magically-summoned entities, their existence is short-lived and they tend to die naturally a few days after their 'birth.'

MAJOR STORY SPOILERS!
Deadly Toys
  • STRONG:Dagger 1x, Fairy 3x
  • WEAK:Crystal 3x (note: will "kill" the Toy but causes it to respawn), Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Laura, the "daughter" of the Vampire Lord, has brought these puppets into existence using a dark spell of her own making. She is able to control these toys and transfer the temporary life force from toy to toy, thus making them very difficult to defeat. However, so long as the "spirit" within is defeated, they cannot return. Inside the crude stitching is the source of the spell and, by opening up the deadly toys, one can destroy the spell. This, in turn, will destroy the spirit forever, rendering the toy useless.

MAJOR STORY SPOILERS!
Dracolich
  • STRONG: Everything Else 3x
  • WEAK: Crystal 2x
The Travel Book wrote:Necromancers are evil wizards who can control the dead with dark powers. The most common belief is that this power is limited to deceased humans but, in fact, it encompasses all dead creatures, as demonstrated by this monster, the reanimated carcass of a Dragon. This massive creature, a remnant of our pre-historic past, died long before the Necromancers came to this land and was buried under tons of rock, eventually becoming a fossil.

When the Dark Lord built his fortress in this desolate land, he discovered the carcass and reconstructed it using magical runes to bind evil spirits to the ancient bones. Should the necessity arise, this monster is able to perform one last duty for its master...

Ghoul
  • STRONG: None
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x,Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Despite most people believing otherwise, Ghouls are not undead creatures. In fact, their ancestors were human, but a diet of corpses and rotten flesh transformed them into horrible monsters that dwell in burial grounds and cemeteries. Ghouls usually live underground, but sometimes venture outside in small groups to scavenge for carrion. The vomit of the Ghoul is highly poisonous, but can be dispelled using Light Magic.

Goblin
  • STRONG: Unknown
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:These diminutive, mischievous and crabby creatures usually avoid contact with humans. Goblins make their homes around tree roots and mossy damp areas, and like to hunt in packs. Although they can be aggressive when threatened, Goblins usually prefer to keep far from men and their dwellings. Goblins are a species on the verge of extinction, and before too long will pass into history and then myth.

Gravedigger
  • STRONG: Dagger 2x, Fairy 3x, Light Fairy 3x
  • WEAK: Crystal 2x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:The Necromancers had to keep a constant supply of corpses in order to build their army of the undead. To sustain the immense cemeteries where all these bodies were kept, the Necromancers relied on the Gravedigger, an enslaved, nameless demon mutated and empowered with the tainted magic of these evil sorcerers. The Gravedigger uses a giant shovel to exhume the dead, and this also makes a formidable weapon in combat.

Gremlin
  • STRONG: Dagger 2x, Shadow Dag. 2x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Gremlins are small, winged imps, famous for causing havoc wherever they go. Gremlins travel in large groups, infesting buildings until the occupants either escape in fear or die. Gremlins are able to breathe fire, an ability inherited from their demon ancestors, but their small bodies cannot withstand too much punishment. They are very volatile and tend to explode if hit hard enough.

Headless Burrower
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 2x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:These undead creatures are the decapitated remains of warriors from the Brotherhood. Necromancer magic has reanimated them and they prey on fellow warriors who bear arms for the Brotherhood. Using their heads they can attack at will, biting and tearing their victims. However, it is their bodies that are their weakspot and anyone caught in a battle with Zombie Heads would do well to remember that!

Ice Titan
  • STRONG: Dagger 3x, Fairy 3x, Holy Water 3x, Light HW 3x, Light Fairy 3x, Shadow Dag. 3x
The Travel Book wrote:Buried deep below the surface of an ancient lake, waiting to be found, are the remnants of a once great European civilization, among them, a Titan of war! Before Rome, before ancient Greece, this great empire possessed technology that surpassed all others, and this Titan marks the pinnacle of their achievements. A great conflict known as 'The Necromantic Wars' obliterated this once thriving civilization and this great feat of engineering was lost.

When the dark spell that isolated the heavens from our earthly plane was cast, the souls of the dead were drawn to this place and somehow gave new energy to the magic runes, reanimating the Titan one final time...

Greater Lycanthrope
  • STRONG: Fairy 2x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Dagger 3x, Crystal 3x, Shadow Dag. 3x
The Travel Book wrote:Greater or "pureblood" Lycanthropes are those spawned from the Dark Lord himself. In these cases, their condition is not considered a disease, as the transformation process has been deliberately chosen. The endowment of lycanthropy, however, is not given to just anyone by the werewolf Dark Lord, and only a handful of his more loyal acolytes have received such a gift. The Dark Lord keeps these elite guards for special missions, and they are not only fearsome but incredibly intelligent and formidable foes in combat.

Lesser Lyncanthrope
  • STRONG: Holy Water 2x
  • WEAK: Dagger 3x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 3x
The Travel Book wrote:These creatures are humans that have been poisoned with an infectious disease known as the 'werewolf influenza,' which is transmitted, in most cases, by the bite of another Lycanthrope. There is an old saying that goes like this, 'If you are bitten by a Lycan, better to let it gnaw,' and like most proverbs, it is probably true. Once infected with the disease, the transformation process can be completed in only a few minutes, after which the victim's mind will have been replaced with the savage instincts of a ruthless predator.

Mandragora
  • STRONG: Dagger 1x
  • WEAK: Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 2x
The Travel Book wrote:Common ingredients in the creation of magic potions, mandrake roots are an important resource for alchemists and mages the world over. However, the harvesting of mandrake roots is a dangerous activity; when the root is dug up, the plant will scream loudly, killing anyone near it. When they are fully grown, mandrakes become Mandragora, sentient beings who survive by draining the life force of nearby creatures.

MAJOR STORY SPOILERS!Mechanical Monstrosity
[list]
[*]STRONG: Dagger 2x, Fairy 3x
[*]WEAK: Crystal 2x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 2x, Shadow Dag. 1x[/list]
The Travel Book wrote:The Vampires were not the first tenants of the castle; the previous owner was a scientist known as Friedrich von Frankenstein. He used the castle to conceal his horrific experiments into artificial life. The Mechanical Monstrosity was one such foray. Frankenstein created this giant scorpion-like machine using the brain of a malformed medical experiment gone wrong. However, his creature proved difficult to control and now rampages through the castle killing anything it can get its claws into.

Naiad
No Strengths or Weaknesses, Cannot Be Killed
The Travel Book wrote:A large part of the danger in the swamps lies in the hands of creatures known as Naiads. These living things are usually passive, lying inconspicuously on riverbeds and in muddy, damp places, waiting until someone stumbles within range. When they attack, their unfortunate victims usually mistake their limbs for branches and are soon drowned... and eaten. In days gone by, these once beautiful creatures were worshiped and sacrifices were made to them, but they are now forgotten by humans and have become evil predators, plaguing both wandering man and beast alike.

Necromancer
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 2x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 2x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Necromancy is the most evil of all the schools of magic and can only be performed by the followers of the Dark Lord of the Dead. Unlike vampirism and lycanthropy, the powers necessary to control the energies of the deceased are not easily acquired. The Dark Lord only shares a small part of his power with his followers, who themselves must die in order to use the abilities given to them. Once dead, they become his thralls and their master is able to control them with his own considerable power.

Ogre
  • STRONG: Dagger 2x, Fairy 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light Fairy 3x, Shadow Dag. 1x
  • WEAK: Crystal 2x, Light HW 1x
The Travel Book wrote:The Anubian Giants are an ancient species, as old as the Earth itself. This particular Ogre is one of the last of his race left in the world. He lives amongst the walls of this deserted mountain fortress, waiting for misguided travellers to stumble in, so that he can grind their bones to make his bread. However, this particular Ogre hasn't had much man flesh for quite some time, having to settle for the odd Cave Troll. Ogres have an extremely keen sense of smell and can sniff a man from half a mile away, making them very successful trackers. Fortunately their size and clumsy nature means that their prey can often see them coming!

Reaper
  • STRONG: Dagger 3x, Fairy 3x, Light Fairy 3x, Shadow Dag. 3x
  • WEAK: Crystal 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Only powerful sorcerers can summon and control these dangerous spirits. The Reapers are a corporeal manifestation of Death itself; their aspect depends on the beliefs of those who confront them, but most people perceive the Reapers as skeletal figures with long tunics, wielding large scythes.
Spawn of Leviathan
No Strengths or Weaknesses, Cannot Be Killed
The Travel Book wrote:The dark waters that fill the caverns beneath the castle hide a creature whose name was forgotten long ago by men, one of the Old Gods themselves, who was attracted by the evil within this place and its imprisoned inhabitant.

Thankfully for the humans, this immensely powerful and malevolent being rests still, deep in its eternal dream, but somehow its essence has spread through the water, giving origin to the monsters known as the "Spawns of Leviathan".

Giant Spider
  • STRONG: Fairy 1x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:These monsters are the largest type of known arachnids, and they are much more aggressive than any of the normal-sized varieties of Spider. Giant Spiders can be found in almost any environment, but they usually prefer dark, soggy places, such as old forests or grottos. Like their smaller counterparts, Giant Spiders can weave webs of sticky silk that they use to trap their prey before eating them. In fact, Spider silk is extremely strong and can even be used to make rope of incredible durability. The Giant Spider population has shrunk in recent years due to mankind's encroachment on their natural habitat.

Swordmaster
  • STRONG: None
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Holy Water 1x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:"The spirit of a brave fighter never dies," according to a popular saying and, in some places filled with foul magic energy, the souls of slain warriors don't leave the material plane and remain trapped, their sole mission to torment living beings. These restless souls usually cover themselves in ragged clothes, maybe as a remnant of their living past. Apart from their fighting skills, they have lost all vestiges of humanity.

Stone Idol Titan
The Travel Book wrote:The Mage-Smiths were an order of Aghartian wizards who specialized in the creation of powerful artifacts. Most of their inventions were objects of common use, such as magical clothing or enchanted weapons and armour, but probably their most impressive creations were the Titans. These golems of gargantuan proportions were built for defensive purposes, but mages were forced to use them in the course of the war against the Dark Lords, during which most of them were destroyed.

Troll
  • STRONG: Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Fairy (2x small, 1x big), Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Big
Trolls are a dying species living mostly in mountainous areas. They are aggressive and territorial. This can sometimes result in attacks on humans who are foolish enough to encroach on the Troll's natural habitat. However, Cave Trolls are usually passive around their own kind and rarely attack each other, though they will often kill to protect their kindred. Men say that when Trolls die of old age they turn to stone and this can be clearly seen in certain rock formations if one looks closely enough.

Small
Biologically speaking, small and great Trolls are more or less equal. However, their behavior couldn't be more different; the large subspecies is fairly aggressive, whereas Small Trolls are cowardly and will quickly flee when outnumbered, often seeking the protection behind their bigger, more violent cousins, from where they will throw rocks at adversaries.

Swamp Troll
  • STRONG: Dagger 1x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Shadow Dag. 1x
  • WEAK: Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Light Fairy 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Swamp Trolls are a rare subspecies of the larger Cave Troll. Although similar in appearance to their dry land cousins, the thick fur has been replaced with a slimy coating, similar to wet mold, which better suits the damper weather of their habitat. Swamp Trolls are ferocious in battle and display a cunning that belies their outward appearance.

Vampire
  • STRONG: Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Holy Water 3x, Light HW 3x, Light Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:A Vampire can be born from many different creatures; the ceremony itself involves the exchange of blood between the "host" and the soon-to-be Vampire. However, vampirism has to be accepted by the recipient, so it remains exclusive to intelligent creatures. The lowest ranked Vampires usually take the form of a creature with a bat-like appearance. Over the centuries, as they become more powerful, Vampires appear more human-like and are able to transform at will from hideous creatures into human form. One can usually ascertain the power of a Vampire by its appearance and any Vampires that appear totally human are usually incredibly powerful and extremely dangerous. These particular Vampire warriors show the signs of being recently turned and cannot hide the fact that they are low level creatures bent to the will of the Vampire Lord.

Warg
  • STRONG: Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Dagger 2x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 2x
The Travel Book wrote:Little is known about these fierce, wolf-like beasts, except that they appeared soon after the coming of the Lycanthrope Dark Lord. Despite their wild looks, Wargs are fairly intelligent creatures, capable of being tamed by lesser Lycanthropes, who ride them in battle. Wargs are ferocious creatures that attack opponents with razor-sharp claws and sharp, deadly teeth.

Great Warg
  • STRONG: Holy Water 2x, Light HW 1x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Dagger 2x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 2x
The Travel Book wrote:Wargs are the principal strength of large Lycanthrope raiding parties. Some of them are 'blessed' by the Dark Lord himself which gives them new powers, such as improved strength and wound regeneration. Due to the nature of this 'blessing,' these powers are heightened by a full moon.

Warthog
  • STRONG: Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 1x
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Fairy 1x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:The genealogy of these monstrous boars has been kept secret among Goblin tribes for centuries. It is a process that involves special breeding and feeding and large helpings of shamanistic magic. Warthogs are so scarce that having more than one of these mounts is something only a few Goblin tribes can aspire to. Goblins not only use them for riding into battle but also to consume all the rubbish and leftover scraps of food, thus helping to maintain a clean environment.

Zombie
  • WEAK: Dagger 1x, Crystal 3x, Holy Water 2x, Light HW 2x, Light Fairy 2x, Shadow Dag. 1x
The Travel Book wrote:Zombies are the most basic creations of a master Necromancer and form the rank and file of the Lord of the Dead's army. These reanimated corpses are an amalgam of different body parts, sewn together in a rough humanoid shape, so it is not uncommon to see Zombies with more than one head or multiple arms. Zombie carcasses are very fragile and weak, so they usually attack in large groups, using their numbers to overwhelm an enemy.

FAN ART!

"You've Come a Long Way, Baby" by Kurieg (spoilers for Video 21)

"Baba Yaga, the Salt Bae" by Kurieg

"The Babysitter's Club" by Kurieg (spoilers for Video 31)
Last edited by theenglishman on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.

I will follow the LP to the ends of the earth!

I followed Gabriel this far, might as well see where it leads.

I prefer when the violence against women is absurd fantasy. Still, quit it, Gabriel.

theenglishman wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 pm
This post is reserved for updates to lore, such as new characters, items, and enemies. It will be filled once spoiler tags are properly implemented on LP Beach.
Ah crap. I still have to go back and read the old thread's spoiler tags.

As a quick reminder, Video 32 (which will wrap up the final DLC of the first Lords of Shadow) will go online on Sunday. Those of you new to this megathread are free to watch the rest of the playlist if you wish to catch up until then.

There will be a follow-up extras video, and then we will move on to the next game in the series, Mirror of Fate.

It is time for Gabriel to face his fiercest foe yet: a stupidly unfair arena boss fight!

ImageImage

To be fair the DLC does the job of explaining how Gabriel turned into Dracula in the perfect way. Playing it definitely brings out all sorts of desire for devastation.

It really warns my heart to see it's basically impossible to be good at this fight. In the playalong, it didn't occur to me to re-do the level to come back with decent health and magic so I did the whole fight off checkpoints and it took about three hours.

Mopey Dick wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 pm
It really warns my heart to see it's basically impossible to be good at this fight.
Counter-exhibit A. A no-damage run of both the flaming skeleton warriors trial and the Forgotten One, on Paladin Difficulty - and on the Xbox 360 version too! :shock:

Well fuck.

I think the Forgotten One power drains himself to open the gate. And as he was getting the power back, Gabe snagged it first. Realizing how fucked he way, FO surrendered. Gabe on the other hand, wasn't in the mood and used his newfound power to make it known.

Also Gabe made good on his threats, so points for that.

Seraphic Neoman wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm
I think the Forgotten One power drains himself to open the gate. And as he was getting the power back, Gabe snagged it first. Realizing how fucked he way, FO surrendered. Gabe on the other hand, wasn't in the mood and used his newfound power to make it known.

Also Gabe made good on his threats, so points for that.
Well I'm glad you explained it, because the game sure as hell didn't make it clear.

As mentioned it's the air combat that really kills the boss fight. Even in that no-damage video it doesn't take long to see that the player waits for specific attacks and animations to attack and otherwise just runs around out of range. Great for a no damage run but not so great in a game that has not had an enemy requiring dedicated air combat or that level of patience.

That said the (charitably) stealth parts of DLC 2 are perfect moments of unintentional comedy. One of the most powerful beings in the world fooled by small pieces of debris and 90 degree angles.

Well, we still have Mirror of Fate to get through first, but I do agree that most of Lords of Shadow 2's stealth sections are terrible (except for a small handful, mostly the ones tied to boss fights).

Also a gentle reminder that LP Beach's spoiler tags are not working on all browsers yet, so please be considerate when posting!

Here we go, the final Lords of Shadow 1 video! There's plenty to talk about in this one, so be sure to watch the whole thing.

We'll begin Mirror of Fate some time next week, if everything goes well.

Wow, this game is really pretty and also doesn't really feel like a Castlevania. It was hours before I saw the first skeleton!

So many of the trials are just terrible time wasters to pad out a game that needed no padding out. I'm willing to assume that they at least designed them first instead of something like "Huh, we put a lot of breakable objects in this level. Make it a trial!" but there's not much a difference in the end.

I'm just glad they didn't lock any gameplay functions or upgrades behind them.

Trying to do all the trials in this game pretty much broke me of ever doing challenge missions in any other game for years. Though to be fair, I was really crap at action games back then. Still, great LP and looking forward to the rest!

Now that spoiler support has been added to LP Beach, the second post has finally updated with all the lore! :D

I See What They Were Doing, But It Doesn't Really Work - Let's Play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD!

WARNING!
This OP contains massive spoilers for the first game in this megathread, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. If you have not seen that LP yet, DO NOT READ THIS and click here instead to go back up to the megathread OP!

It's time to move on in our megathread to the second game in the Lords of Shadow miniseries - no, not Lords of Shadow 2, but the black sheep spinoff title that few people remember and even fewer care about.

This will not be a 100% LP, nor will it last particularly long. There is a secret ending for 100%, but trust me, it's not worth the effort, and I will just explain the contents of said cutscene at the end of the LP. I want this to be as painless as possible for everyone involved, particularly our guest commentator, the always wonderful ChaosArgate!

This LP will also be heavily abridged, focusing primarily on the new concepts this game brings to the table, the cutscenes, and a few specific setpieces (for reference, the length of the LP, as fully recorded, is about half the length of my actual playthrough).

Mirror of Fate was originally released as an exclusive for the Nintendo 3DS in March 2013, bridging the gap between the first game and its then-upcoming sequel. We will be playing the HD version, which was ported over to consoles and PC a few months later.

Mirror takes place primarily in 1103, 56 years after the events of the first game (1047). Gabriel is in his prime as Dracula, the Prince of Darkness, but — twist! — his wife Marie had given birth one year prior to the events of the first game. The story thus follows three generations of Belmonts — Gabriel, his son Trevor, and Trevor's son Simon — as their destinies and fates intertwine.

Gameplay-wise, Mirror of Fate is an attempt to combine the fast and brutal combat of the first Lords of Shadow with the non-linear exploration and puzzle-solving of an IGA-style Metroidvania. It does not work in the slightest. Both the exploration and the combat were heavily streamlined to accommodate the hardware limitations of the 3DS, which become even more noticeable when played on a console or PC. The combat simply was not built for 2D, and the attempts at balance adjustments make certain parts of combat too easy and others much too hard. Meanwhile, the map just isn't interesting enough to explore, and the objective-marker-heavy story discourages exploration outside of very specific breaks in the narrative. There are also many other reasons this attempt at pleasing both camps of the Castlevania fanbase fails, which we will explore later in the LP.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Last edited by theenglishman on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:37 am, edited 9 times in total.

Here, I will be posting updates to lore, such as new characters, items, and enemies.

NOTE: This list only covers characters who first appeared in Mirror of Fate. For characters who first appeared in Lords of Shadow, please see that game's lore page.

???

Voiced by: Michael Maloney
The Travel Book wrote: A mysterious shade-like figure who is following Simon Belmont's journey through Dracula's Castle. Who is he? What is his purpose? We shall soon see....

Alucard

Voiced by: Richard Madden
The Travel Book wrote: Awaking from death after thirty years of being in the ground, Alucard discovered his true fate: to become that which he swore to destroy. There is little left of the man who once walked in the sunlight: A sad and painful memory of that which was lost, but in its place a strong desire for revenge upon the one who made him.

Simon Belmont

Voiced by: Alec Newman
The Travel Book wrote: Simon lost both of this parents when he was young. His father went to Dracula's Castle and never returned and his mother died protecting him from Dracula's wrath and fury unleashed upon the Brotherhood fortress that protected his village. Lost and alone, he was found by the mountain tribes of Wallachia and raised as one of them. Having reached maturity, this fearsome barbarian, the son of Trevor Belmont is finally ready to avenge his family and destroy the rule of the Dragon forever.

Sypha Belmont

Voiced by: Charlotte Emmerson
Abridged from the Castlevania wiki, because the fucking game couldn't be bothered to give her a profile wrote: Sypha Belmont is the wife of Trevor Belmont and the mother of Simon. She was killed by Dracula's werewolf forces in 1072, leaving Simon to be raised by the mountain people of Wallachia. There is more to her story, which we will soon learn....

The Night Watchman

Voiced by: Alec Newman (3DS version only)

Strengths and Weaknesses: Unknown (seriously, the bestiary never says)
The Travel Book wrote: Although dead for many years, a terrible curse has prevented the Night Watchman from leaving the world of the living. His only reason to exist is to keep the torches and lanterns lit, keeping intruders away. Accompanied by his Scavens, he wanders the Castle corridors until the breeze that comes when a new visitor arrives causes his cold and prized light to flicker once again.

NOTE: This list only covers items and weapons that first appear in Mirror of Fate. For items and weapons from Lords of Shadow, please see that game's lore page.

Bat Projectile
The Travel Book wrote:Alucard exercises a strange influence over the castle's bats, which serve him when called upon.

Upon the order of their master, they attack a target, hitting it and confusing it for a few brief moments giving their lord the upper hand.
Boomerang
[quote="The Travel Book"]This redesign of the classic boomerang has an explosive capsule in the centre that activates shortly after impact with the target causing damage over time.

In addition to its brutal attacking force, the edges have been charmed to return to the hands of the thrower automatically.[/quote]

Beast Hunter
The Travel Book wrote:Simon's whip is made from various animal skills interlocked forming a tightly woven pattern. It is often used by the tribesmen of Wallachia. The leather is then reinforced with fragments of metal which maintains its flexibility yet it is strong enough to rip through armor, wood, and flesh with ease.
Combat Cross (Simon)
The Travel Book wrote:The remains of a weapon originally created by Rinaldo Gandolfi.

Although it retains some of its original power, years of use have worn its magic metal, so much of its legendary offensive capabilities have been lost.

However, the intricate shape of the links enable Simon to grab enemies from a distance and swing from many places in the environment.
Combat Cross (Trevor)
The Travel Book wrote:Forged long ago by Rinaldo Gandolfi, it is actually a copy of the true "Vampire Killer" with which Gabriel defeated the Lords of Shadow and which now lies destroyed in the Shadow Plane. It is the ideal tool executing brutal attacks without sacrificing the style and precision only Trevor is capable of delivering. Thanks to a new retractable spur on the tip, it can now be used to break open some stone doors.
Dark Pain
The Travel Book wrote:The dark version of the Combat Cross used by the Brotherhood elite, created by the Toy Maker, brightest pupil of Gandolfi. This parody is the result of decades of research with a metal extracted directly from the Shadow Plane. The weapon is extremely hard and perversely sharp and its full power is awakened only when wielded by a creature of the night.

IMPROVED FORM:
Alucard cannot manifest the same level of power as his father and so relies on a man made weapon created by one of its greatest alchemists, yet it lacks certain abilities still.

Now however, with this improved version, Alucard can grip onto magnetic rails that litter the castle and lead to new places.
Demonic Wings
The Travel Book wrote:After partaking of the blood of the Daemon Lord, Alucard has acquired the ability to invoke a pair of Dark Wings with which to make a second jump in the air and glide slowly to the ground.
Fire Oil Flask
The Travel Book wrote:Commonly used to defend the castle walls, these fragile oil flasks can reduce any adversary to ashes. Upon hitting the ground, they explode and quickly spread their fiery contents, covering everything with flames that damage enemies over time. Use in conjunction with your regular attacks to thin down a crowd.
Improved Combat Cross
The Travel Book wrote:The dark version of the Combat Cross used by the Brotherhood elite, created by the Toy Maker, brightest pupil of Gandolfi. This parody is the result of decades of research with a metal extracted directly from the Shadow Plane. The weapon is extremely hard and perversely sharp and its full power is awakened only when wielded by a creature of the night.
Medallion (Light)
The Travel Book wrote:This magic medallion has been used before by many other members of the order of light, enabling them to convert neutral power into light magic.

When used, the sacred fire wraps around the bearer, transmuting all damage caused into powerful healing spells.
Mist Form
The Travel Book wrote:With the right level of concentration, Alucard can divide his body into millions of particles thus avoiding enemy attacks and reinforcing his dodge ability.

In this state, Alucard can absorb the life force of all creatures and go through barred doors, opening areas of the castle only available to the vampires of Dracula's Domain.
Shadow Claws
The Travel Book wrote:When the infected blood of the Reaver spreads through Alucard's veins, claws grew out of the tips of his fingers.

With them, he can descend slowly down chasms and climb steep vertical slopes.
Spirit of Belnades
The Travel Book wrote:The Belnades clan have dedicated their lives to devoutly serving mother Church, and because of this dedication were blessed with magical abilities to heal and protect.

After death, the spirit of each female Belnades was allowed to endure and give protection to whomever should need it.

Using this power, Simon can avoid dangers that would otherwise be impossible to overcome and unknown to him, the spirit and love of his mother aids him in his quest.
Stopwatch
The Travel Book wrote:Among the most demented inventions of the Toy Maker is the stopwatch.

Made with vampire plasma and powered by blood they release their sinister magic when broken, slowing time in the immediate vicinity.
Throwing Axe
The Travel Book wrote:The throwing axe is the perfect support weapon for a barbarian of Wallachia. Extremely useful against flying creatures and devastating when charged, they are capable of breaking reinforced armour and can even knock down bigger foes.
Wolf Form
The Travel Book wrote:Fed by an inner rage, Alucard can unleash the beast within when fighting his enemies.

In this state, Alucard increases his combat strength substantially and gains the ability to destroy doors marked with the face of the wolf.

NOTE: This list only covers enemies who first appeared in Mirror of Fate, or have significantly different variants in this game. For enemies who first appeared in Lords of Shadow, please see that game's lore page.

Armored Skeleton
FOUGHT BY: Trevor
The Travel Book wrote:Fearsome to behold and much more skilled than the best of the castle denizens, Armored Skeletons hold a special place of honor amongst the armies of the Dragon.

The same spell that keeps them on their feet is also used to fill them with the false hope that they continue to serve the cause for which they were trained in life.

Daemon Lord
FOUGHT BY: Gabriel (via cutscene), Trevor
Voiced by: Richard Ridings
The Travel Book wrote:Although defeated and humiliated by Gabriel many years ago, this powerful creature has been released by the Witches to once again challenge its nemesis.

Harboring a profound hatred, it has sworn to destroy the offspring of its enemy before returning to the Shadow Plane whence it came.

Daemon Lord Resurrected
FOUGHT BY: Alucard
Voiced by: Richard Ridings
The Travel Book wrote:The remains of the Daemon were assembled by the Toy Maker and made into a horrific parody of its former self.

Despite the rage that still flows through its new mechanical joints, the beast has learned to control its Daemonic Powers to hunt the souls its master needs in his macabre experiments.

Executioner
The Travel Book wrote:The Hunchbacks have managed to dominate these once gentle giants by means of larvae inserted into their brains.

Their colossal size and disproportionate strength make them brutal tools of war.

However, their value as allies is often counteracted by fearsome outbursts of fury that make them unpredictable in combat.

Gargoyle
FOUGHT BY: Simon, Trevor
  • STRONG: Oil Flask
The Travel Book wrote:From their stone nests perched high upon the castle, the Gargoyles have patiently watched many battles, triumphs and defeats.

Centuries after being sculpted, the enigmatic Toy Maker gave them the gift of life, enabling them to finally use their knowledge of war.

Giant Bat
The Travel Book wrote:With the arrival of the vampires, the bats accustomed to the darkness and putrefaction of lower sections of the castle began to feed on the blood that their masters offered them.

Quickly, these tiny, defenseless creatures grew disproportionately and became dangerous predators, devouring creatures that had once preyed upon them.

Harpy
FOUGHT BY: Simon, Alucard
The Travel Book wrote:As lethal as a bird of prey and as elegant as a woman, the Harpies have become an organized tribe of warriors that nest beneath the fortress.

In the firm belief that the flesh of their prey will give them vigour and eternal life, they have become fanatical killers, organizing expeditions inside the castle to hunt.

Harpy Leader
The Travel Book wrote:Only the best Harpy Warriors live long enough to proclaim themselves leaders of the flock.

The changes to their physical form include color changes to their wings and an ear piercing shriek that can root their prey to the spot.

Hunchback
FOUGHT BY: All characters
  • WEAK: Throwing Axe (Simon)
The Travel Book wrote:A group of nomadic Dwarves settled inside the castle and began to work onits reconstruction, as if it were their own home.

Apparently harmless, they have survived thanks to their cunning, teamwork and disgusting gastronomical taste based on different ways of cooking carrion found along the way.

Hunchback Troop
  • WEAK: None (Simon)
The Travel Book wrote:When threatened, the Hunchbacks come together to form a greater force.

After drawing lots for their combat positions, they charge blindly against any creature that is hostile.

For the duration of the fight, they never separate and never give up until they have a new corpse to add to the soup.

Knight Vampire
The Travel Book wrote:Following the deaths of Carmilla and Laura, a new, purer lineage of vampire arose in the castle formed via a deep bond with their new lord.

The species is characterized by its cunning, speed and savage cruelty in combat.

The next stage of vampire evolution has produced a species that is both beauty and the beast with an insatiable blood lust.

Lycanthrope (MOF variant)
  • WEAK: Oil Flask
The Travel Book wrote:During the dark years of the Lords of Shadow's reign, hundreds of humans were bitten by werewolves and infected with their cursed blood. Dominated by their instincts and rid of their leader Cornell, they occupy the castle to worship their new alpha male, the Prince of Darkness himself.

Magic Book
  • WEAK: Throwing Axe
The Travel Book wrote:The search for immortality has caused many wizards to use their dying breath to commit their souls within heavy tomes of parchment. These pages permeate with the dark powers of their authors and so are able to write cruel endings for those valiant enough to confront them.

Macabre Puppet
FOUGHT BY: Simon and Alucard
The Travel Book wrote:The souls of the many who dared to enter the domain of the Dragon are forcefully removed from their bodies to be confined inside Macabre Wooden Puppets.

On the other end of the strings is the Toy Maker who amuses himself by acting out his mortal play with new strangers.

Macabre Puppet Unleashed
The Travel Book wrote:Some puppets have been released from their masters hold and attack their enemies with random abandon.

Their freedom of movement enables them to spin around like tops executing quick charge attacks against their targets.

Merman
FOUGHT BY: Simon
The Travel Book wrote:Somewhere during the evolution between fish and men, these intelligent beings learned to move onto dry land in search of new prey. With a deep survival instinct, the mermen organize search parties and lay ambush for anyone unsuspecting who comes near water.

Merman (electric)
No strengths or weaknesses
The Travel Book wrote:An elite group of Mermen have adapted skin membranes that generate powerful electrical currents.

Whilst on land, they can conduct this electricity through the wet ground thus stunning their adversaries before pouncing to devour them.

Merman (hunter)
The Travel Book wrote:Some Mermen have developed special glands in their mouths which deliver a powerful toxin.

This sticky substance is spat on their prey rendering their enemies completely paralyzed.

Merman Tadpole
The Travel Book wrote:During hunting forays on the surface, the Mermen throw live captives to their off spring awaiting below the surface.

Although not yet fully developed, the tadpoles have jaw dimensions similar to that of their parents, which they use to tear apart the bodies of their prey.

Necromancer
Voiced by: Adrian Schiller
The Travel Book wrote:The Necromancer's mission is to seize Trevor's powerful Combat Cross for its master, Zobek, Lord of the Dead.

Having been promised the return of its soul for successful delivery of the weapon, the Necromancer is a dangerous foe intent on completing its task no matter what.

Possessed Armor
The Travel Book wrote:The spirits wandering the castle, tire of the living that disturb their rest and so possess the enormous suits of armor that adorn the corridors.

With their enormous mace, they easily smash the unwary, while the hard armor protects their cold inner flame.

Reaver
The Travel Book wrote:The remains of the Night Watchman transform into a creature with a voracious appetite and insatiable need to move through the rooms of the castle in search of meat with which to strengthen itself.

Its putrid body, covered with a dense mop of hair, hide the true nature of its supernatural origin, formed from hundreds of corpses it has devoured.

Scaven (normal)
  • WEAK: Throwing Axe, Oil Flask
The Travel Book wrote:These reanimated corpses eat and infect the dead remains of other creatures with many sections of the castle threatening to become infested with them.

The Scavens are a sort of living dead, commanded by the Night Watchman whose power has transcended the limits of witchcraft to take on a more tangible and dangerous form.

Scaven (flying)
The Travel Book wrote:Some Scavens mutate with violent convulsions to develop wings that they use to rise well above their terrestrial prey.

Often pouncing on unsuspecting visitors and feeding on their still living bodies, these creatures suck the very soul out of any unfortunate enough to come across them.

Shadow Crawler
FOUGHT BY: Gabriel only
No strengths or weaknesses.
The Travel Book wrote:When the doors to the Shadow Plane were opened, a horde of bloodthirsty creatures invaded our world, terrorizing Mankind. Made up of pure darkness, they feed on the fear of their victims who they tear apart and devour without mercy.

Skeleton Warrior (MOF version)
  • WEAK: None (Simon)
The Travel Book wrote:Despite being dead, the remains of these warriors retain an echo of what they once were when alive and so continue to defend the castle.

Loyal to their new lord, they keep watch tirelessly over every corner of the fortress, hunting intruders and never abandoning their posts for as long as their bones endure.

Succubus
Voiced by: Eleanor Howell
  • WEAK: Spirit of Schneider
The Travel Book wrote:This sensual and intoxicating creature has the appearance of a woman yet originates from the underworld and is intent on securing favor with her new master.

From her illusory world, created from the fantasies of men, she awaits the arrival of heroes to seduce, subjecting them to temptation then ultimately offering them up to her liege lord.

Wraith
FOUGHT BY: None
The Travel Book wrote:Wraiths have always been a part of popular folklore as the oldest residents of sinister castles.

Their presence at the fortress is no coincidence, as within its walls terrible murders were committed that have bound the souls of the victims to the memories of the violent acts committed there.

Zombie (MOF variant)
The Travel Book wrote:Bitten, infected and stripped of the slightest power of reason, many humans have ended up lost in the castle in search of fresh brains. Their clumsy attacks and fragile bodies are compensated for by their ironclad insistence on devouring their victims, even after being dismembered.

Zombie (Rotten)
The Travel Book wrote:Subjected to putrefaction over many years, some zombies have become lethal corpses capable of mutilating themselves to reach their prey. Both their fragile flesh, yellowed by puss and their brittle bones, incapable of keeping them upright represent an unpleasant threat to those who think they are safe behind any barrier.
Last edited by theenglishman on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Some interesting choices with the story there: Pan working with the Brotherhood? One would think they'd frown at pagan gods messing with their business. Also, Simon wearing pants is goddamn sacrilege.

That is the wimpiest-looking (and sounding!) throwing axe I've ever seen. The whole combat looks like your attacks lack any weight.
Last edited by Mopey Dick on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was kind of interested in this but yeah, oof. Way off. Waaaaaaaaaaay off.

I tried playing this one after I got it for free on Xbox. I jumped in the first pit I saw, died, and then uninstalled the game. Metroidvania games with death pits and fall damage just seem wrong.

I enjoy the visual of the ultimate defense against Simon Belmont is to step slightly into the background.

In this update, we continue Simon Belmont's portion of the game, and meet MercurySteam's ORIGINAL CHARACTER, DO NOT STEAL who has never appeared in any Castlevania media before. No way. Not ever.

ImageImage

(Travel Book update to come later.)

If I had video editing software (and a deathwish) I'd slap Dr Robotnik's Carnival of Fun over the merry go round sequence.

I hate how the animations in this game are done, half the time you're jumping the animation finishes but you're nowhere near where you're supposed to be yet so the game just slides the model into position unanimated.

There seems to be some good environmental detail in this video (like the rocks in the shape of screaming faces) that keeps reminding me that it is a Lords of Shadow game. Shame about, well, everything else.

The bosses do seem to be the high point so far, so that's nice. Considering the lack of movement in most of the cutscenes, I wonder if they would've been better served making them in a kind of LoS 1 bestiary style.

Lurith wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pm
The bosses do seem to be the high point so far, so that's nice. Considering the lack of movement in most of the cutscenes, I wonder if they would've been better served making them in a kind of LoS 1 bestiary style.
They could have even gone with the animated concept art style from the LOS1 DLC, and that probably would have looked great on the 3DS.

By the way, here is an early cutscene running on the 3DS. As you can see, it is basically identical except for the added mouth flapping on the HD version.

Oh yeah, totally blanked on the DLC cutscenes. Yeah, that does seem like it would've looked much better, and probably been a little easier to make more detailed. As for the original scenes, I'm not sure if they're better, but they are a bit more amusing.

I gotta say, at least the time from start to first skeleton is much more like a Castlevania in this one.

Carnival aesthetic, thematically appropriate or just an excuse for creepy clowns and puppets.

Kibayasu wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 am
Carnival aesthetic, thematically appropriate or just an excuse for creepy clowns and puppets.
It showed up in Castlevania from time to time. Clowns are a recurring enemy in the handheld games, for example.
Last edited by Mopey Dick on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Having finally caught up... holy shit that was a extremely sharp drop in quality for mirror of fate.

In today's update, we find a classic Castlevania item, philosophize on the origins of lesbianism, and the mysterious original character from the end of the last video turns out to be exactly who you thought he was. Surprise!

ImageImage

I'm betting that, since Gabriel is Dracula, Alucard is Trevor. It would make Alucard Drac's son, and bring a whole new level of drama to the whole family triangle.

Commander Keene wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:05 pm
I'm betting that, since Gabriel is Dracula, Alucard is Trevor. It would make Alucard Drac's son, and bring a whole new level of drama to the whole family triangle.
You may indeed be on to something there. The question remains, though: how exactly will the details of Alucard's powers affect his relationship with his father? If Trevor is indeed Alucard, don't forget that he was born one year before Gabriel was turned - so what happened in the interim, and if Trevor was turned, how?